Posted by psgels on 24 January 2011 with categories: Dragon Crisis

As of this post, Showa Monogatari is being degraded to “Sporadically Updated”, because I have no bloody clue when its final two preview episodes are going to air. I am going to blog it properly once it airs in the upcoming spring season, though. It seriously needs more attention, because it’s exactly the series that anime needs at this point in order to diversify again.

Now, obviously Dragon Crisis has a lot of flaws, Kugimiya Rie being one of the major ones (granted, any voice actress would have been annoying with such a character, but it still doesn’t really help to have her as her voice). The reason I’m choosing this over Gosick is that the cumulative good points impressed me more. Gosick has its creativity, but that’s also about the only thing that has impressed me so far. Instead the characterization is bland and it leaves a lot to be desired when revealing its mysteries.

I think the difference in characterization is best illustrated throughout the male leads. They both have their own backstory, and both are rather girly. Dragon Crisis however acknowledges that its main character is just a kid, while Gosick doesn’t: the male lead jumps back and forth between an annoying whiny brat and a chivalrous hero, while Dragon Crisis looks much more into the characters of its main character and the reason why he refused to do anything at the end of the previous episode: I mean, we pretty much have this kid who is being forced at such a young age to do really dangerous stuff, just because he happens to have crazy parents and huge powers. The expectations that were placed on his shoulders are huge, and for once a show actually tries to highlight that, instead of taking it for granted that a young kid is supposed to be this big hero.

In exchange… the setting doesn’t make any sense. I mean… I still have no clue how Rose ended up in that suitcase if she said earlier that she specifically meant to go to Japan in order to see Ryuuji. Ryuuji’s parents suck as well for failing to give him a safe environment to grow up in. And I mean, this is the umpth wish fulfillment show that we’ve got here, in a world in which dragon princesses hatch in eggs in the middle of nowhere and bond with the first person they lay their eyes on.

The action of this series and especially the use of CG is really sweet, though. This episode as well: the soundtrack and animation both are excellent. Especially considering how we’ve got Studio Deen here. This show really looks unlike any other show they’ve produced so far.

Right now, the biggest potential pitfall is when it goes into something I’d like to call “kidnap ping-pong”, in which Rose just keeps getting kidnapped, waiting for Ryuuji to save her over and over again. I mean, I can understand a storyline that revolves around Ryuuji and Rose protecting each other from the dragons, but please make it a bit more varied than that.

Obviously the end of this episode was annoying and quite sappy. And yet, it also felt surprisingly genuine to me. I can’t really put my finger on why that was, but it’s another of the reasons why I decided to pick up this series.
Rating: * (Good)

1. garfield15 says:

“Kugimiya Rie being one of the major ones”
    I don’t like you anymore.

No, but seriously, this is interesting because I would have figured you would have thought this to be way more cliche than Gosick

2. Bear says:

I can’t stomach this one anymore. Dropped along with Infinite Stratos. For people that think kids in anime act too old, I’m sure this protagonist is a breath of fresh air but bleh, too hard to swallow the complete shift in character from whiny bitch (episode 2) to loverboy (episode 3).

Compounding matters, our ultra invincible suave douchey antagonist is going to be back… again… zzz.

3. psgels psgels says:

Garfield: I do. Dragon Crisis is definitely more cliched than Gosick. It’s just that I like the characterization a lot better.

4. garfield15 says:

Huh. Well that’s literally the exact opposite of my thoughts on the matter but hey, your blog.

5. Frost says:

Meeeh… Even Zombie is better than this, at least it has plenty of laughs

Dragon Crisis is just too damn generic, I dont know why people have been saying it was a surprise or whatever… The only surprising thing about this is that Rie’s character for once isnt a tsundere LOL

Seriously, I just cant find anything to like about it… Annoying characters, bad character designs, boring plot /dropped

6. Puran says:

It’s sad that Ryuuji is very close to Yuuji, which combined with Rie gives me a post traumatic stress syndrome reaction every time she calls his name…

About the end of the ep: It was refreshing to have the protagonists openly admit they like each other, instead of keeping it for the finale (and then have them somehow forget it for the next season).

7. Dop says:

Now, you see, my problem with Rie Kugimiya in this show is that every time she says “Ryuuji” I keep thinking I should stop watching this tripe and re-watch “Toradora” instead.

8. FlameStrike says:

Hmm I don’t know about the whole kids being too old thing. This is anime, a form of entertainment and fiction. I’d much rather see bad ass hotheadedness then a episode of whinny emo angst. There’s enough emo and angst in books and real life. When I’m watching shonen-targeted anime, I want to see kick ass, not whimpyness. Ryuji really failed last ep, but I’m glad he stepped up. Personally, I thought the shift was a little to drastic, but there’s no way I’ll complain. Slash Breath wielding kick ass Ryuji is way better than winy emo whimp Ryuji.

9. Denizen says:

This seems to be one of those infuriating shows that is practically bad in all aspects and has just enough to bring me back. As far as “generic beginning arcs”, this one was perfectly sized and ended with a bang that wasn’t just halfheartedly meant for plot alone.

If it revolves into magical animal vampire girls fall in love/attach to main character then it’s Game Over for this show, but Kidnap Ping Pong should not happen much here because the damsel in this case can incinerate things – and if this gets ignored the Deus Ex Machina which will result will easily be drop worthy.

It’s got potential which i’m sure it will squander, but for now it’s all been entertaining enough to not get boring and it deserves a chance.

10. Joe says:

One of the few anime shows that I have to fast forward through. Ryuuji being lame last epi was annoying but add in the super powerful god mode item and “engage” was too tripe for me. The animation’s nice enough but I can’t seem to enjoy this one.

11. Scruffy says:

Personally I’m waiting for the character with a tail in the ED to show up. Thats what we need .. more furry characters *grins*

12. maskedguy says:

Hmm, so I heard this is another series based on light novel series… Anyone can tell me if novels are good, or if they are just as generic?

Though, gotta watch this little more in case it turns out somehow that not all dragons are humans with wings and powers =P(I prefer non humans as inhuman)

13. Alec says:

Dragon Crisis is just TOO average for me. It looks like the creators want to play it safe

14. ravasa says:

I can’t see this more than a whine kid got supernatural power from a sword, go save damsel in distress and defeat a dragon in one turn kill–‘. At least Gosick has a more interesting plot comparing to this although they both have bland characters, Both of the heroes act heroic in episode 3 but at least the Gosick one got beaten up as he should as a common human and the scene he strives in fighting is much more real than this got-power-from-a-aword-and-defeat-dragon-in-one-turn-kill-thing.

15. pedobear says:

yeah this anime is fantastic!! i approve !!

16. tc2r says:

wonder kids power, ENGAGE

17. Ncrdrg says:

Eeehhh… I’m a bit surprised by this choice. Not that I’m that I’m a BIG Gosick move but it’s fun and it doesn’t hit any major annoyance button even if the main female is a bit generic. At worse, it’s a tad boring at some moments but it never gives me the feeling to just want to kill a character from the show.

Now Dragon Crisis’s male lead has been bugging me since the start of the show. I was yelling at my screen when he pulled out his typical sulking moment to grow some fucking balls. But then he pulls the L-bomb on a girl he knows… for what, like 1 week or so?

Now mind you, the action of the episode was really worth watching. But when there’s no action, Dragon Crisis really drops the ball big time, unlike Gosick. Which is why I hated the first part of the episode. I find Dragon Crisis to be very love-hate and infuriating at times.

Besides, it’s kind of silly to choose between Gosick or Dragon Crisis when you have a much better show in Kore wa Zombie Desu ka. But hey, that’s just me.

And also maybe that comedies are harder to blog and you’ve already got 2 of them which I guess is understandable.

18. hoiut says:

ENGAGE, lol. The action was surprisingly stunning. I certainly did not expect that (this is around the point many anime seem to lose their initial budget).

So far I’m finding this series remarkably adorable. Suki suki suki suki, daisuki helps of course. That girl has such a cute voice. Reminds me of Toradora and Shana, as I’m sure it will all of you.

19. Solaris says:

Dragon Crisis is as generic as so many other generic anime are, but, considered we risked weekly Mitsudomoe instead, I’d take it as good and thank the blogger 100 times.

20. Msteak says:

It’s not only generic, it’s generic AND bad.

21. AidanAK47 says:

I have to agree with what was previously stated. I thought you would chose Gosick over this. I find it odd you consider the characterization of Dragon Crisis to be better than Gosick.
    Now I admit that Dragon crisis is enjoyable. It does what has been done to death and still manages to entertain.(As long as you don’t take it too seriously) I would think that is an achievement in itself.

However the characterization is bland. Your opinion was right but you just got the shows mixed up. In dragon crisis we have a main protagonist who just so happens to be a level 10 breaker(Reminds me of another protagonist this season who just so happened to be an Ace pilot)and found a dragon when he was a kid. His mood changed from unsure to man on a mission just because of a vague memory from his childhood. And everyone else is pretty much your cut and paste one sided personalities.
    Now Gosick has the third son of an imperial solder. Seeing him switch from clueless kid to chivalrous hero is not a unusual response. He’s the son of a solder so it’s not unreasonable that he got some training. An ordinary guy doesn’t pull a pair of brass knuckles on and start kicking ass. He’s a guy who got chivalry beat into him. I find him much more fascinating than a kid who just randomly picks up some superpowers and beats a dragon.

But yes, Gosick leaves a lot to be desired in it’s mysteries. But I bet you will drop dragon crisis soon Psgels. I seen the signs. The start of a story is the easiest part as you are introducing the characters and setting. People can get drawn into it without much trouble. Keeping them interested is the hard part. I can see from the promo art that Dragon crisis could dissolve into a harem. Unless it can bring up a new point of interest this will get old. Fast.

22. sup says:

Don’t like it , don’t watch it.

Gosick and other titles this winter are superior to IS/Dragon Crisis anyway, while those two are still pretty okay to watch.

Comes down to opinion in the end, just like how kids like that mainstream crap.

23. Phillip says:

I liked this Anime why do everyone have to hate on it. Why must everything be generic with you ppls? The story is something new. Everything will be generic in some sense since Anime is based off life mostly and a bit of imagination from the creator. I think they did fairly well with this one considering it was only a novel. So the voice acting isn’t the best maybe because most of you speak English. Japanese voice acting is always strange if you don’t know what they are saying. I think the anime was good not the best but wasn’t a waste of my time. I just wish there was a bit more of this anime maybe 24 episodes at least. Why must you always point out the negative things about an anime does any anime interest you? or is all of it generic and poor in some sense. I don’t think you should be allowed to call something bad unless you can do any better. How can any of you say the character designs are weak if none of you can do any better. -_- If you don’t like don’t talk about it leave it be go on to the next anime. but don’t trash it down like it’s Dragon ball Evolution or something.

24. Ryuuji being lame last epi was annoying but add in the super powerful god mode item and “engage” was too tripe for me. The animation’s nice enough but I can’t seem to enjoy this one.

@Aidan: Probably not as GREAT as Onizuka though.
So I started watching the new FLCL and let me say that this new teacher is the greatest teacher I have ever seen.
Don't think it's on Netflix. Though I think that Stardust crusaders is airing dubbed.
Is this series on Netflix? It was always one of the few anime that were very popular in the West while still airing weekly and with subs (and despite the fact that we didn't even have the manga in the West)
Man that's awesome. Also I have to admit that part 6 is probably my favorite so it's great to know that they'll most likely animate everything.
What the hell
JoJo's part 5 anime announced and it's about goddamn time.
Id agree to that. Im mostly interested in where it goes after what looked like a pretty final ending. Im guessing timeskip of some kind, or World Line switch
I didn't think any of the drama in this episode rung false.
Pretty satisfied with steins;gate this week, kept things moving and the stilted style of the show didn't get in as much the way of the setpiece that was in this episode.
I'm quite surprised by how I've gotten over a 100 chapters in and Asirpa hasn't been fanserviced explicitly.
HH Holmes had a death hotel actually.
Actually I think one of the criminals was based on a real person.
The author really likes referencing real people to, Bonnie and Clyde , Ed Gein, some American agriculturist and the inventor of some refile .
Its very true that golden kamuy does get goofier and thats true for the manga also, though theres a prisoner weirder than the one in episode 11 he does advance the plot further. One of the soldiers gets some backstory too. Sometimes the goofiness works but at others doesn't.
I'm watching the new FLCL and planning to review it once it's done. Maybe.
In my quest and love of historical manga I wound up running into this, these guys are translating it over at their site: https://blog.manga.club/blog/mangaclub-blog-vol-10-jose-rizal-serialization/
Not yet, no. Plannin on it this weekend
There are three episodes of the new flcl out. I haven't seen it yet and its been ages since I saw the original, has anyone watched any of the new series?
I can understand that. Anything less than a 3 I often dont finish/deem worthy even being talked about. In anime or movies.
Its too hard to give 1/5s or 2/5s.
Despite my complaints I gave it a 3/5.
....feck sorry about that. I didn't think anyone else on here would have been interested =< Thanks for removing it.
Come on Kaiser, even if I didn't get anything out of it doesn't mean that other people won't. Best not to put a big spoiler on the front page of the site.
Just deleting a spoiler there.
That production company tend to do quite poor trailers that misrepresent their films.
I would probably punch someone for laughing/talking during a horror film though.
Babadook did the grief horror better. Though honestly my favourite horrors this year weren't American ones.
Upgrade might end up being more fun, which is an action horror comedy.
@Aidan: While terribly schmalzy and lacking a proper ending, quiet place had a better idea and atmosphere.
@Aidan: In the end it just felt like comparisons to Rosemary's baby and the Exorcist hurt the film. I just thought it was an awkward mix of commercial and indie horror. Like a lesser version of the conjuring.
@Aidan: I didn't laugh but I also couldn't really feel it/connect with it.
@Aidan: I also disliked how it answered its questions and story rather than leaving stuff unexplained and the actual exposition in the last act was quite awkward.
@Aidan: I saw it on Thursday, it doesn't live up to the witch or even it comes at night. On one hand I appreciate limiting the jumpscares and gore, going more for atmosphere and character drama. Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne kind of hold it together for me. But the two kids, like in most horror films were awful.
Just seen Hereditary. The so called scariest film since The Exorcist.
So scary that people in the cinema were laughing.
I've been playing Hollow Knight on Switch. It's perhaps the longest metroidvania game I've ever played. The game has a nonlinear progression with a lot of optional areas, which add wonder to the somber and mysterious tone of the game.
I also like how much Nagai overstylizes, overdesigns his characters.
Not that its abandoned its comedic elements.
@Sash: The twin tailed girl got impaled and its gone in a somewhat darker direction yes.
Sash
apparently cutie honey is getting devilman vibes.. haven't watched it though so take this with a grain of salt
@Lenlo: Somewhere in my head is an image of Baraka from mortal combat in the same picture as Himiko Toga.
Hero Aca, still my favorite Shounen.
Just got the Re:zero Blu-ray a whole ten days before it's officially released. Gotta be the first to see the dub.
Yeah. Her whole scene was terrible. As much as I loved Maho in a pando costume, it should have stopped there. We didnt need the groping.
FERRIS NYAN-NYAN OmO kill it, kill it with muh-fire, kill it with muh-fire.
Also, Megalobox, hot damn. I love it. I love it all. Mmmm I cant wait.
Partly, yeah. Im mid writeup for it. Suffice to say the fan-service was... alittle awkward to me
Filler episode of Steins; gate this week.
I cant wait to see it, ive heard good things
Damn I love Megalobox so much it's my favorite series this season.
I can't wear a suit to work everyday
*wotaku's
You are now aware that you un-intentionally stealth cosplay as watoki's protagonist each time you go to work.
Pretty sure Psgels is paying to keep the site up but it's not a sum that one would consider significant. Site is dirt cheap.
I've thought about using MPC as an extra player, while mainly using vlc, but vlc can be buggy for me sometimes in that it lags and pixelates the video often , I've used MPC on videos that vlc bugs-out on and they work better.
Out of curiosity, what videoplayer (example media player, realplayer, winamp, vlc, mediaplayer classic)do all of you use for watching anime?
You silly old people
lol how do you think I feel, I've been at this for 20 years =P
All these "confessions" just underline how old we all are; and still keep on that stupid hobby after all those years :))
I first visited the site around 2009, 2010 but was pretty much a lurker until I started writing for the site.
As far as I know, psgels gave the admin privilege for K-Off and Aidan, and it's K-Off who pays for the site now (other admins pls confirm)
Of course I have no idea how much it costs to keep the blog up, he could always end up stopping paying for it if he needed to cut costs.
I'm actually curious in estimating how much longer the blog has left. Obviously psgels must be still paying to keep the site up, but he is, of course only mortal.
The blog began in 2005, but I started reading it in 2009, began posting on the chatbox in 2010.
I wonder which weekly review was the first one I've read on psgels. I remember .hack//roots but not sure if it was the first one. Could very well be the case, though.
Nevermind, despite being an old as shit reader I never actually read the whole text of the about-part.
How old is this blog anyway? I am a regular reader since 2006 or something although it was only recently that I started talking here.
Oh I know all about that Kaiser. It was amazing to read about
Raggers
Wow, this is still going? Good on you guys
*wiki article
@Lenlo: Read the cultural impact of the original ashita no Joe on the youtube article, Japanese actually mass mourned him
Some writers just know how to get an un-explainably effective rhythm going.
I always struggle with commenting/reviewing mood pieces and slice of life mood pieces especially, even when I finish something in the genre sometimes I'll go "I don't understand why this worked so well for me, why wasn't it boring?"
Anonymous2194677
Microsot E3 Press Conference was nuts, they showed too many games.
Hey guys, I made/edited my very first video about a show I greatly love, hope you'll give it a watch too:

Yeah, and an NES prequel to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night launched a couple of weeks ago. And while easier than NES castlevanias it's quite fun. Also very cheap only $10.
Alas, I've not kept up much with the videogame scene in a number of years. I know there's a spiritual successor to castlevania being made though.
Sorry Nightmare Creatures its what it's called.
Actually come to think of it, the 64 games probably had more vampires than the others I played.
Have you played the game that inspired this Castlevania? Deadly Creatures?
Never did get round to playing as Henry though.
I remember the garden stage being especially frustrating as Schneider because of how slow he moved.
Also that game demands you to play on normal or higher to play beyond that nitro stage.
I remember having to finish the game in a day because I was saddled with constantly rubbish memory cards for my N64.
Sorry, I post fast and long so some of what I say probably might get missed/skimmed over.
Actually I did mention it, called it the nitro stage.
Still I think despite the flaws it's has become fun for me because I surprisingly get better each time I play it. and last time I make the game chug because of how fast I was progressing.
Yeah. But I'm surprised you don't mention the worst part. The Nitro and Mandragora level. In which you have to go across several rooms without jumping.
@Anon: I remember the game punishes you for using the item seller guy too much aswell.
I remember the mansion level being creepy back then.
But the werewolf thing was pretty rad.
And then there was that crumbling labyrinth stage. I remember on hard mode you have to fight the chainsaw gardener too.
The art tower stage is also annoying if you run out of day/night cards.
Also it wouldn't let you finish it properly if you took too long.
@Anon: The N64 castlevanias have so many flaws, weird controls , bad camera , the day and night feature is kind of cool but it also puts a timer on things and certain parts become a pain because of it. They had frustrating bits too like the ice castle part with the weird jump sections and the nitro carrying stage.
Lords of Shadow was another IP the developer had to accomodate into a known IP kinda like Star Fox Adventures.
The other Castlevanias I haven't played are Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. LoS was ok but very long. and it's interquel Mirror of Fate put me off playing LoS2.
I haven't played that one. Seems like a mixed bag. Like Zelda 2 or Metroid 2.
I've seen playthroughs of simon's quest, but we all know why thats a notorious mess.
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are also my guilty pleasures. I think if Konami still made Castlevanias it would have tried aping the Souls type of gameplay.
I remember some very very silly voice acting and dialogue in symphony of the night.
I preferred when they were just platform games. Later ones incoperated level up elements if I recall.
After SOTN I think the game coming closer to that greatness is Order of Ecclesia if anything it keeps the difficulty of the classic Castlevanias and puts it in the Metroidvania formula. It has a platforming challenge level that's very satisfying to play.
I've played most of them. Castlevania 3 is a very tough game, but that also makes the journey feel long and rewarding. Rondo of Blood feels like the cornerstone of the series since it's the Castlevania that got most of it's sprite reused in later games.
Reminds me, the game, clocktower is vaguely inspired by an old Italian horror film.
And symphony of the night.
I actually feel I should have played more castlevania back in the day, I've played bloodlines, castlevania 4, Dracula X, legacy of darkness, admittedly the last one isn't a good game and is more of a guilty pleasure.
They could still meet Grant in the Clocktower.
I wonder if the second season will be the journey to the castle like in the game. And the third season is entirely in the castle.
Already a season 3 announced.
Oh god yes. I cant wait
New netflix castlevania episodes out next month.
Was going to mention that. Wish more shows would do o.
Yeah, a lot of plot threads are converging and I like it. My favorite part though was Iglesias and their commitment to non-japanese languages. They were good!
*his bit
@Lenlo: Glad that sachio gets hit bit of backstory and that its well connected to the rest of the overall plot.
Alright Megalo Box was pretty good this week. So much to say
Indeed the Alliance system is atypical of mass democracy. There seem to be no organised parties and lists. Instead administrations seem to be formed on a personalist basis(me and my chums). And the Assembly seems to have very weak powers of oversight. A very flawed institutionally system. But I digress . It is still anime and even from Tanaka I do not expect deep discussion of democratic politics
I mean if two of 9 ministers in an administration resigned in any current representative/competitive election system it would be a big news and embarrassment to the goverment. My guess is that they were blackmailed to stay on, or were too afraid of the war party.
busy weeks (finals and deadlines). Watched the latest LOGH:NT episode. It was ok. A bit dry, but so are many of the episodes of NT or the Original on their own. One think it led me to think is that neither the books , nor the OVA, nor NT explain why Rebelo/Lebello and Huang Rui (the two politicians opposed to the Invasion of the Empire) did not resign in opposition. (Turnhit also opposed but..)
I think its cause of Daru's voice. Hes so overt about it and his voice makes it so clear hes not really being serious about any of that, cause it completely changes when hes talking serious subjects
@Kaiser: Yeah I am watching CCS but funny enough I fell behind too, so it might be someone else you're thinking of
Always felt that Daru strikes a hit when it comes to pervy/otaku characters. Most of them tend to be incredibly annoying.
This episode was nice and chill while still moving stuff forward. I enjoyed it. It does seem like we are hitting the main conflict though, with Amadeus and Maho
@Lenlo: I feel with this episode the plot is really moving along now.
@Kaiser, Thats the question aint it? How to savem both? We know he does, cause of the original, but alot happens along the way. Its a great ride
Bad light novels would make for good fire and burning material =)
@Amagi: I think it was you who was keeping up with the new cardcaptor sakura? or may that was bokusenou? I fell behind in it.
Given Japan is often thought to be a racist society.
I suppose though its saying something though, about them dropping that LN author for racism , its probably, considering its Japan, progressive that they called him out for his racisim.
Angel cop's Japanese version I think had some rant about Judaisim in its last episode too I think.
Honestly I try not to seek out stories about how awful certain creators are if I can.
Viz decided not to run Kenshin's followup/side story manga. But oddly they decided to keep going with toriko even though toriko's author also got in trouble for pedophilic charges.
Looking at that Isekai anime I say we we saved from something truly terrible. Though I find it odd that it was dropped because the author was a racist not because of it well...being goddamn terrible.
@Amagi: I watched a random episode, laughed more than I should have.
btw Is anyone besides me watching Tiramisu? Am I the only one that finds this shit funny?
@Amagi: I'd only read the ANN article title and decided I wouldn't entertain the comments by reading on.
@Lenlo: How do I save them both @steins;gate, how do I save both Kurisu AND mayuri, this is hurting me ;o;
I am just reading what he liked on twitter and said (seems to be the director), what the hell
@Kaiser-Eoghan: Man, I never heard of this. The anime was just harmless comedy, didn't expect that to be honest.
Apparently the guy who did Net-juu was in trouble for making anti-Semitic remarks, not anti-Netanyahu remarks, actual anti-Jewish remarks.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: But yeah it's not that we lost anything or so. I am rather interested in what kind of series the studio will do now instead (inb4 some different LN isekai)
Chinese manga fans were protesting for a while already, then one of the VAs quit and now they're cancelling the whole thing. The author also made racist posts against Chinese ppl don't know what though.
Seems like it was hinting the MC to be a Nanking "hero" that seems to be the problem, there seem to be a lot of dog whistles in there and God rewards this guy when he died at 94, literally saying he's "ideologically sound" (just saying what I see in the threads).
*isekai light novels
A minor victory against the anti-art/anti-intellectual movement, may more light novels fall =)
edit: LN seems to be cancelled too
*might result*
seems like they cancelled that isekai anime LN adaption because of racism of the author and the story
@Aidan: Dropping the no porn rule result however in only releasing games where they felt safer about uncensoring the content.

Golden Kamuy – 11 [Everybody, Get Together! It’s a Murder Hotel!]

Welcome to Bates hotel!! Alright, make no mistake, this is the funniest episode of Golden Kamuy we will ever have. Still dark, have very little to do with the main plot, but it’s spooky fun. Even trashy fun with all the dick jokes. This is Golden Kamuy at its loosest shape. Which is not a […]

Hisone to Masotan – 10 [Melting in Love]

Pretty visual aside, I wonder how much fuel left for this aircraft before it runs out of ideas. HisoMaso has never been a show with detailed world building, or even thick plot to begin with, and as the usual case for me, nothing much happened in this episode. The biggest plot point of this week […]

Hinamatsuri – 11 [A Man Thirsty for Blood, Violence and Money]

The theme of this week is the kind hearts of our cast, and we have 2 parts that take the idea and go into different directions. Remember when I mentioned before how Hinamatsuri would be if Anzu takes Hina’s place? That’s exactly the idea behind the second half. I’m glad that Nitta has some major […]

Darling in the Franxx – 21[For You, My Love]

Huh…wasn’t expecting that to be resolved so quickly. So as predicted Zero Two makes it to Darling and as predicted they power up and drive off the aliens. Also as predicted Zero is is now dead…or dying…or in a coma…or in some state that leaves her dead eyes by episodes end. I admit to be […]

Megalo Box – 11 [A Deadmarch]

Incredible Megalo Box… Simply incredible. This week was perfect in every way but one, and at this point that one is easily overlooked. Let’s skip this preamble and jump right in! Megalo Box had a lot going on this week as we see the culmination of a lot of characters big arcs. Starting off, lets […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 10 [Pandora of Provable Existence -Forbidden Cubicle-]

Welcome one and all to another week of Steins;Gate 0! This week we have fluffy, lovable dates, awkward fan service and terrible revelations. Lets jump in! So overall this week felt mostly like a filler episode. I understand that some of the contents were necessary for relationship building and such. That it was a sort […]

Golden Kamuy – 10 [Fellow Traveler]

New episode, new season, new plan, new scenery and possible new set of enemy too. Considered Golden Kamuy’s track record, I won’t be surprised if the new face Kiroranke, at the risk of Asirpa slaps me on my face for saying so. He’s in the interesting position in all this, both an ex-7th Unit Hokkaido, […]

Darling in the Franxx – 20[A New World]

Suddenly, Aliens. If you are surprised by this sudden plot twist then I am guessing you are new to Trigger works. For in some form or another space gets involved. Indeed this is fairly reminiscent of Kill la Kill or Gurren Laggan and I will toot my own horn about somewhat anticipating it. I at […]

Hisone to Masotan – 09 [Eeeek!]

After a pretty excellent episode last week, HisoMaso goes into the direction I’m afraid the most: exploring the romance aspect that by all means we don’t really need in the first place. And they frame it in a manner I cannot get behind. Lets see, due to these girls develop a certain feeling, they intoxicate […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]