Posted by psgels on 24 January 2011 with categories: Dragon Crisis

As of this post, Showa Monogatari is being degraded to “Sporadically Updated”, because I have no bloody clue when its final two preview episodes are going to air. I am going to blog it properly once it airs in the upcoming spring season, though. It seriously needs more attention, because it’s exactly the series that anime needs at this point in order to diversify again.

Now, obviously Dragon Crisis has a lot of flaws, Kugimiya Rie being one of the major ones (granted, any voice actress would have been annoying with such a character, but it still doesn’t really help to have her as her voice). The reason I’m choosing this over Gosick is that the cumulative good points impressed me more. Gosick has its creativity, but that’s also about the only thing that has impressed me so far. Instead the characterization is bland and it leaves a lot to be desired when revealing its mysteries.

I think the difference in characterization is best illustrated throughout the male leads. They both have their own backstory, and both are rather girly. Dragon Crisis however acknowledges that its main character is just a kid, while Gosick doesn’t: the male lead jumps back and forth between an annoying whiny brat and a chivalrous hero, while Dragon Crisis looks much more into the characters of its main character and the reason why he refused to do anything at the end of the previous episode: I mean, we pretty much have this kid who is being forced at such a young age to do really dangerous stuff, just because he happens to have crazy parents and huge powers. The expectations that were placed on his shoulders are huge, and for once a show actually tries to highlight that, instead of taking it for granted that a young kid is supposed to be this big hero.

In exchange… the setting doesn’t make any sense. I mean… I still have no clue how Rose ended up in that suitcase if she said earlier that she specifically meant to go to Japan in order to see Ryuuji. Ryuuji’s parents suck as well for failing to give him a safe environment to grow up in. And I mean, this is the umpth wish fulfillment show that we’ve got here, in a world in which dragon princesses hatch in eggs in the middle of nowhere and bond with the first person they lay their eyes on.

The action of this series and especially the use of CG is really sweet, though. This episode as well: the soundtrack and animation both are excellent. Especially considering how we’ve got Studio Deen here. This show really looks unlike any other show they’ve produced so far.

Right now, the biggest potential pitfall is when it goes into something I’d like to call “kidnap ping-pong”, in which Rose just keeps getting kidnapped, waiting for Ryuuji to save her over and over again. I mean, I can understand a storyline that revolves around Ryuuji and Rose protecting each other from the dragons, but please make it a bit more varied than that.

Obviously the end of this episode was annoying and quite sappy. And yet, it also felt surprisingly genuine to me. I can’t really put my finger on why that was, but it’s another of the reasons why I decided to pick up this series.
Rating: * (Good)

1. garfield15 says:

“Kugimiya Rie being one of the major ones”
    I don’t like you anymore.

No, but seriously, this is interesting because I would have figured you would have thought this to be way more cliche than Gosick

2. Bear says:

I can’t stomach this one anymore. Dropped along with Infinite Stratos. For people that think kids in anime act too old, I’m sure this protagonist is a breath of fresh air but bleh, too hard to swallow the complete shift in character from whiny bitch (episode 2) to loverboy (episode 3).

Compounding matters, our ultra invincible suave douchey antagonist is going to be back… again… zzz.

3. psgels psgels says:

Garfield: I do. Dragon Crisis is definitely more cliched than Gosick. It’s just that I like the characterization a lot better.

4. garfield15 says:

Huh. Well that’s literally the exact opposite of my thoughts on the matter but hey, your blog.

5. Frost says:

Meeeh… Even Zombie is better than this, at least it has plenty of laughs

Dragon Crisis is just too damn generic, I dont know why people have been saying it was a surprise or whatever… The only surprising thing about this is that Rie’s character for once isnt a tsundere LOL

Seriously, I just cant find anything to like about it… Annoying characters, bad character designs, boring plot /dropped

6. Puran says:

It’s sad that Ryuuji is very close to Yuuji, which combined with Rie gives me a post traumatic stress syndrome reaction every time she calls his name…

About the end of the ep: It was refreshing to have the protagonists openly admit they like each other, instead of keeping it for the finale (and then have them somehow forget it for the next season).

7. Dop says:

Now, you see, my problem with Rie Kugimiya in this show is that every time she says “Ryuuji” I keep thinking I should stop watching this tripe and re-watch “Toradora” instead.

8. FlameStrike says:

Hmm I don’t know about the whole kids being too old thing. This is anime, a form of entertainment and fiction. I’d much rather see bad ass hotheadedness then a episode of whinny emo angst. There’s enough emo and angst in books and real life. When I’m watching shonen-targeted anime, I want to see kick ass, not whimpyness. Ryuji really failed last ep, but I’m glad he stepped up. Personally, I thought the shift was a little to drastic, but there’s no way I’ll complain. Slash Breath wielding kick ass Ryuji is way better than winy emo whimp Ryuji.

9. Denizen says:

This seems to be one of those infuriating shows that is practically bad in all aspects and has just enough to bring me back. As far as “generic beginning arcs”, this one was perfectly sized and ended with a bang that wasn’t just halfheartedly meant for plot alone.

If it revolves into magical animal vampire girls fall in love/attach to main character then it’s Game Over for this show, but Kidnap Ping Pong should not happen much here because the damsel in this case can incinerate things – and if this gets ignored the Deus Ex Machina which will result will easily be drop worthy.

It’s got potential which i’m sure it will squander, but for now it’s all been entertaining enough to not get boring and it deserves a chance.

10. Joe says:

One of the few anime shows that I have to fast forward through. Ryuuji being lame last epi was annoying but add in the super powerful god mode item and “engage” was too tripe for me. The animation’s nice enough but I can’t seem to enjoy this one.

11. Scruffy says:

Personally I’m waiting for the character with a tail in the ED to show up. Thats what we need .. more furry characters *grins*

12. maskedguy says:

Hmm, so I heard this is another series based on light novel series… Anyone can tell me if novels are good, or if they are just as generic?

Though, gotta watch this little more in case it turns out somehow that not all dragons are humans with wings and powers =P(I prefer non humans as inhuman)

13. Alec says:

Dragon Crisis is just TOO average for me. It looks like the creators want to play it safe

14. ravasa says:

I can’t see this more than a whine kid got supernatural power from a sword, go save damsel in distress and defeat a dragon in one turn kill–‘. At least Gosick has a more interesting plot comparing to this although they both have bland characters, Both of the heroes act heroic in episode 3 but at least the Gosick one got beaten up as he should as a common human and the scene he strives in fighting is much more real than this got-power-from-a-aword-and-defeat-dragon-in-one-turn-kill-thing.

15. pedobear says:

yeah this anime is fantastic!! i approve !!

16. tc2r says:

wonder kids power, ENGAGE

17. Ncrdrg says:

Eeehhh… I’m a bit surprised by this choice. Not that I’m that I’m a BIG Gosick move but it’s fun and it doesn’t hit any major annoyance button even if the main female is a bit generic. At worse, it’s a tad boring at some moments but it never gives me the feeling to just want to kill a character from the show.

Now Dragon Crisis’s male lead has been bugging me since the start of the show. I was yelling at my screen when he pulled out his typical sulking moment to grow some fucking balls. But then he pulls the L-bomb on a girl he knows… for what, like 1 week or so?

Now mind you, the action of the episode was really worth watching. But when there’s no action, Dragon Crisis really drops the ball big time, unlike Gosick. Which is why I hated the first part of the episode. I find Dragon Crisis to be very love-hate and infuriating at times.

Besides, it’s kind of silly to choose between Gosick or Dragon Crisis when you have a much better show in Kore wa Zombie Desu ka. But hey, that’s just me.

And also maybe that comedies are harder to blog and you’ve already got 2 of them which I guess is understandable.

18. hoiut says:

ENGAGE, lol. The action was surprisingly stunning. I certainly did not expect that (this is around the point many anime seem to lose their initial budget).

So far I’m finding this series remarkably adorable. Suki suki suki suki, daisuki helps of course. That girl has such a cute voice. Reminds me of Toradora and Shana, as I’m sure it will all of you.

19. Solaris says:

Dragon Crisis is as generic as so many other generic anime are, but, considered we risked weekly Mitsudomoe instead, I’d take it as good and thank the blogger 100 times.

20. Msteak says:

It’s not only generic, it’s generic AND bad.

21. AidanAK47 says:

I have to agree with what was previously stated. I thought you would chose Gosick over this. I find it odd you consider the characterization of Dragon Crisis to be better than Gosick.
    Now I admit that Dragon crisis is enjoyable. It does what has been done to death and still manages to entertain.(As long as you don’t take it too seriously) I would think that is an achievement in itself.

However the characterization is bland. Your opinion was right but you just got the shows mixed up. In dragon crisis we have a main protagonist who just so happens to be a level 10 breaker(Reminds me of another protagonist this season who just so happened to be an Ace pilot)and found a dragon when he was a kid. His mood changed from unsure to man on a mission just because of a vague memory from his childhood. And everyone else is pretty much your cut and paste one sided personalities.
    Now Gosick has the third son of an imperial solder. Seeing him switch from clueless kid to chivalrous hero is not a unusual response. He’s the son of a solder so it’s not unreasonable that he got some training. An ordinary guy doesn’t pull a pair of brass knuckles on and start kicking ass. He’s a guy who got chivalry beat into him. I find him much more fascinating than a kid who just randomly picks up some superpowers and beats a dragon.

But yes, Gosick leaves a lot to be desired in it’s mysteries. But I bet you will drop dragon crisis soon Psgels. I seen the signs. The start of a story is the easiest part as you are introducing the characters and setting. People can get drawn into it without much trouble. Keeping them interested is the hard part. I can see from the promo art that Dragon crisis could dissolve into a harem. Unless it can bring up a new point of interest this will get old. Fast.

22. sup says:

Don’t like it , don’t watch it.

Gosick and other titles this winter are superior to IS/Dragon Crisis anyway, while those two are still pretty okay to watch.

Comes down to opinion in the end, just like how kids like that mainstream crap.

23. Phillip says:

I liked this Anime why do everyone have to hate on it. Why must everything be generic with you ppls? The story is something new. Everything will be generic in some sense since Anime is based off life mostly and a bit of imagination from the creator. I think they did fairly well with this one considering it was only a novel. So the voice acting isn’t the best maybe because most of you speak English. Japanese voice acting is always strange if you don’t know what they are saying. I think the anime was good not the best but wasn’t a waste of my time. I just wish there was a bit more of this anime maybe 24 episodes at least. Why must you always point out the negative things about an anime does any anime interest you? or is all of it generic and poor in some sense. I don’t think you should be allowed to call something bad unless you can do any better. How can any of you say the character designs are weak if none of you can do any better. -_- If you don’t like don’t talk about it leave it be go on to the next anime. but don’t trash it down like it’s Dragon ball Evolution or something.

24. Ryuuji being lame last epi was annoying but add in the super powerful god mode item and “engage” was too tripe for me. The animation’s nice enough but I can’t seem to enjoy this one.

I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.
KT here:YES!
@Anon: One of his better works, despite reading it twice I've forgotten too much as its been too long since reading it, good though as when I watch the anime the manga won't be as fresh in my mind.
Urasawa's Pluto anime announced! Get hype! Looks like they're keeping designs faithful just like they did with Monster (at least judging from the poster)
By the way Mario, that Isekai show you were interested in is basically food porn.
Man that was a lot of procrastination. I haven't even written up that Little witch academia post yet...and then there's the preview.
I agree with most of your assessments though Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is something I can really get into. I admit Talentless Nana is a bit iffy at the moment but am willing to give it a big chance because I love the authors other works.
Come to think about it, huh, those "people are forced to play sadistic game that breaks friendships because of debts or something" like Tomodachi Game and Liar Game(I think thats the original one? Wonder if there are other copycats with same idea like it)I forgot are like that on psychological side .-.
This isn't related to those series I commented on btw, just that I've lately seen too much "let's emotionally/physically torture characters before giving them hope and then killing them" that I'm at this point wondering that it would probably be much more disturbing if authors would depict their lives after that traumatizing experience rather than ending it.
Ya know, reading dark mangas with lot of death and stuff makes me wonder if some writer is eventually going to be trying to out do all of other wannabe dark stories by making a story about serial mutilator :P
Out of these, I think Route End and Kusuriya no Hitorigoto might be best. I'd say King of Idols is third best, but thats just because it feels safest to follow out of rest of them, you kinda know what its going to be like while with rest of them I'm not sure if they are going to be darkness to point of apathy or not.
n historical works much. Though second chapter might be enough to hook in, not sure.
Route End seems intriguing and dark mystery. Bit worried though if it can handle subject matter well since I feel like quite a lot of japanese works could handle topic of suicide better. Our Lonely War feels like eva clone in that "mecha with dark twist" thing, but needs second chapter to see whether its just angst or not. Kururiya no hitorigoto seems interesting and good, but I'm not interested i
Like, feels bit contrived for me. But then again, would need to see second chapter to get good grasp on what its really about
Besides, even with that good a twist, I'm just leaving wondering "So I'm not sure if she is crazy or acting on future knowledge, but how the heck someone whose ability is nullifying abilities is that dangerous? Heck, not sure why everyone else is amazed considering that if they ability is nullifying stuff, does that even affect the enemy"?
Like, ok, I did wonder early on if the talentess character was the other one since they had same sort of name and they didn't do anything that would disprove them being talentless, but while that is good twist, feels more like one shot material than series if this is tone for it. Then again, I have no idea what the manga is going to be about because of this twist on tone coming right at the end
t going to be title character killing off other classmaters for some mysterious reason(which seems to be how many human casualties they are going to cause in future) then its just really dark to the point of not giving shit about any character.

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

ID-0 – 10 [Compressed Sin]

Oh no, ID-0. Out of all the possibilities you could’ve picked for the climax, you chose the worst possible one. Ido’s past self, Dr. Kane Arisugawa turns out to be an evil scientist, using human as a sacrifice for his own research’s advancement. If this already sounds well-worn, it’s getting worse from there. The first […]

Re:Creators – 10 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

The laying of the foundation and development of all previous episodes culminates into an explosive episode that lives up to the hype of Re:Creators’ initial premise. Following Magane long-winded trolling of last week, the amount of action on display this episode more than made up for her antics. Every creation (with the except of Mamika) […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100