Posted by psgels on 20 February 2011 with categories: Star Driver

It’s the background episode, and it’s quite a creative one. This episode answered a ton of questions about the main storyline, and did so quite creatively. Head’s background is an interesting and untypical love triangle that completely fell apart thanks to his ambitions. We also get to see Takuto’s mother for the first time (albeit in a flash-back) and I’m surprised at how untypical she is as a mother.

Some of the other things that we see confirmed is that the reason he didn’t age was because his heart is trapped in Zero-time (though we still didn’t learn how exactly this happened), who exactly the old eyepatch guy was, how Takuto got his mark and the reason Head has been delaying the seal breaking (because he wants a friend who is going to give him another seal to wake up).

Seriously, especially that latter point just confirms how this entire series was just basically Head waiting for a guy to get out of a coma. That’s why none of the characters had this sense of urgency, and it’s also how the creators managed to keep the characters able to enjoy their school life. Most of the fights here were just random quarrels that in the end mostly were just red herrings for the real main story. Looking back, I expect the guts of this show to do that, and it all ties down to the decision of the creators to focus a lot on school life, but in the end this slice of life wasn’t solid and realistic enough for this show to really become a masterpiece.

Despite that though, I’m still enjoying this show a lot, because what is there in character analysis is still really good, as this episode showed. That guy clawing his eye out was perhaps a bit extreme, but that power does explain why Head knew just about everything he needed to do. But then again, how the hell do you defeat a guy who can look into the future?
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Vanilla says:

‘how Takuto got his mark’

Is this a typo or?? We’ve already seen that he got it from his Grandfather.

2. Vanilla says:

Oh wait, reading comprehension fail. Anyway, I agree that this series isn’t quite as good as say, Utena but I’ve really enjoyed it too

3. kuromitsu says:

This was a pretty good episode and it did explain many things, but I can’t help feeling that it came too late. As you also said, the slice-of-life episodes weren’t strong enough; the character building hasn’t paid off yet (Watanabe got much focus but is she actually important? Why were other characters ignored? Why wasn’t there more focus on the main trio as a trio until now? why didn’t we see more of Eyepatch Guy? etc.); and all the while there was no real tension until now.

Also, I think this ep was pretty lazy on Head’s character development. Yes, we can put the pieces together but why didn’t they give more info on his involvement in the Cybody project? On his ambition? On his relationship with Sora, or even Coma Guy?

4. kuromitsu says:

Btw, I’m not saying the show is not good – on the contrary, it’s a very good show, very enjoyable. But it’s a bit frustrating to see so much potential lost due to pacing issues. (Which makes me wonder, because Enokido’s other shows that I’ve seen didn’t have such problems…)

5. Clinton says:

the eye patch guy’s name is Ryousuke we see him all the time he is incharge of the gilltering crux meetings

6. Sapphire says:

I’m confused: isn’t the coma guy in the present the same guy who agreed to give his mark to Head in the past? If they are the same guy, why didn’t the transaction work?

Also, the eyepatch guy volunteered to give his mark to Head because he didn’t want the power to look into the future. If he did give him his mark, why does Head need a new one now?

Regarding the romance, I’ve always thought that we would have the main trio end up together, but now I’m not so sure. This episode we learned that Head-Sora-Eyepatch didn’t work, neither did Sugata-Wako-Ivrogne, as the latter said to Takuko. Will the creatores be bold enough to pick just one guy for Wako? I’d like that, personally.

7. Kyubey says:

Clearly this is foreshadowing a Takuto X Sugata ending.

8. qwerty says:

@Sapphire

The coma guy apparently fell into his coma during the mark transfer process, since the person transfering needs to be willing I guess it glitched the system and he ended up in a coma and perhaps this is also how Head’s “heart” got trapped in zero time.

Even though Head has eyepatch-guy’s mark he wants a new one because he’s afraid of the regeneration process and knows he can bypass the whole thing just by getting a new mark.

On another note I’d question whether Head actually ended up with eyepatch-guy’s first phase. After all we saw in episode 1 that Head’s first phase was summoning a star sword outside of a cybody.

9. synkronized says:

I didn’t feel like the guy clawing out his eye was over the top. Jealousy is a nasty feeling . . . being forced to see the person you love with another guy, over and over. I’d probably entertain removing that vision as well to avoid the misery and rage.

About the Sugata x Wako x Takuto triangle. I sincerely hope the series doesn’t cop out and give the “All 3 lived together” ending that Macross Frontier went for.

10. qwerty says:

I’m personally holding out for Keito to switch sides at the last second or to find out that she’s been manipulating things behind the Crux’s back and even behind Head’s back from the beginning to sabotage things in the end.

I really want a happy KeitoxSugata TakutoxWako ending.

11. Dominic says:

Weird how you all talk about the series like its already over. We’re all getting ready for the end and episode was just giving us hints for final stage of this all.

Oh nevermind I’m just gonna say it, Utena’s producer is a troll, pure and simple. When asked simple questions like “why does character x have that pocket watch?” he’d always give the answer like “it looks upon all space and time!”. And this series doesn’t have someone like that that can keep up with all the fan speculation. The comparison with Utena is doing more damage than good for this series.

12. kuromitsu says:

@Dominic: That was Ikuhara Kunihiko, the director of Utena and he doesn’t have anything to do with this show. Enokido Youji was the writer of Utena, and he’s also writing Star Driver – and as far as I’m aware he never trolled anyone. That said, I agree that there’s no point in comparing Star Driver to Utena, but the writer being who he is I expected a bit more, something along the lines of Memory of Oblivion or Ouran Host Club. I’m sure this last arc will be excellent but I can’t help feeling that the 19 episodes before this one could’ve been spent better.

@Clinton: I know who he is but he wasn’t treated as anyone particularly important until now…

As for the romance, I actually hope the trio can stay together, but then I liked Macross F’s approach as well. I’m really not seeing any believable romantic developments aside of Sugata and/or Takuto x Wako. Keito->Sugata is just that: Sugata hasn’t shown any interest in Keito so far and IMO it would be a cop-out if he suddenly fell in love with her in these last episodes, especially seeing how much he cares about Wako.

13. Unentschieden says:

Heads first phase isn´t the vision, it´s the frozen time. Thats why it´s “Vanishing Age”.

14. Sapphire says:

@qwerty

Thanks for the explanation! But how do we know that the regeneration process is able to make a driver lose his mark? A simple battle can’t do that, it can only make a driver lose the Cybody, not the mark. So I guess it still doesn’t make enough sense that Head needs another mark, because we don’t know how it can be lost yet.

15. qwerty says:

@Sapphire

Never said he lost his mark. He still has the mark he got from eyepatch-guy and just wants to overwrite it.

The threat is the regeneration process which only works for people with high libidos, anyone who doesn’t have the right libido ends up either dead or in a coma, can’t remember which.

Head doubts he could survive the process but wants to have an active cybody for when they break the last two seals so instead of risking his life he’s just going to get another mark.

16. Tuan says:

I was disappointed in this episode. The first 19 was simple, happy, and nice. Then they pop this episode where everything becomes dark, gloomy, and sad. The depressing love triangle, foreshadowing the current love triangle. On top of it, they finally decided to play dirty. It’s like a completely different anime.

17. Bakugan says:

The best episode yet, as it answers questions in the past. I guess the story plot is just too short and they kinda make some episodes a not really so significant until this episode airs.

18. Blue Bomber says:

Aa bit of a ***SPOILER*** if I’m right, but:

Uhh, did anyone notice Head’s original last name? If I’m not looking into this too much, that, coupled with him apparently not aging, and the whole pocket watch deal = he’s [spoiler] and [spoiler]’s [spoiler]. Won’t ruin it by completely blurting it out (should be easy enough to figure out), but it seems like that’s what’s going on to me. That’s one way to bail out the love triangle, I guess…

19. qwerty says:

@Blue Bomber

I think you’re a bit behind the curve. There has been speculation on Takuto’s father for a long time now, this is just the first episode to actually spell it all out.

20. defrayal says:

Very disappointed with Sora’s affair. Especially hated the part where she gave up halfway while reaching for Katashiro’s hand. Also felt heart wrenching when Katashiro was surrounded by the nude paintings of Sora. Argh, what a tragedy.

I’m predicting an ending where Reiji returns to the name of Tsunashi Tokio and leaves the island with Takuto, a happy family reunion between him and Sora. Wako follows Takuto and pursue her dream as a singer. Sugata stays at the island with Keito. Keito gives up her dream for Sugata, probably recuperating after losing to Takuto @ the final epic battle.

And Tokio… for a mark… you actually turn gay. -.-ll Tokio’s no Galactic Pretty Dad.

21. Kyubey says:

Tokio should have just made a contract with the vice president.

22. Troyen says:

I’m a little disappointed that they built up an interesting cast of diverse Crux members in the first half of the series and then shoved most of them all aside in favor of two obnoxious newcomers in the second.

23. Tractatus says:

If Head has Ryuusuke’s “Resh” mark, and Shingo still retains his own “Shin” mark due to failing to transfer……then why is the Shin mark at the same time engraved on Ryuusuke’s mask? Is that just a artificial mark red herring?

Also, it seems that it’s confirmed the crux can approvises multiple cybodies. That’s probably how they’ll go about breaking the other two seals.

24. meow says:

I’m not sure how to intepret Ryousuke’s end episode remark. Is Tokio’s heart literally trapped in zero time or was Ryousuke simply commenting that Tokio was completely seduced by zero time (ie. his ambition), given how he couldn’t remember when Sora left the island, even though he had a baby with her, proving that he just seduced her to get involved in the ruins project, and probably seduced coma guy to get his mark. Sora had already realized this by the time she and Ryousuke had that conversation on the couch but got gut-punched further when Ryousuke gave his watch to her, proving to her that Ryousuke loved her all along and she lost him for falling for the scheming Tokio. Also, explains why she left the island and abandoned her baby to Tokio’s father. I don’t quite understand why Ryousuke would continue to support Tokio though, after what he’s been doing, especially to Sora. The true nature of Tokio’s ambition still isn’t clear. He seems to want to use the power of the ruins to play God and remake the world like one of his paintings but I’m not sure if that will lead to a good or bad result. Is Ryousuke simply very hopeful that Tokio will make the world a better place, even after what he did to Sora and him?

MAJOR SPOILER SPECULATION FOLLOWS (I was kinda reluctant to mention this stuff because I didn’t want to jinx the story. I think the producers of this show are really trying to keep everyone guessing and may actually try to tweak the story a little in response to viewer feedback so that the story doesn’t seem too predictable.)

As for Keito, my read is she simply wants to get off the island and pursue her dreams as an idol, instead of being stuck protecting the ruins and pining for a guy (Sugata) who doesn’t love her. There’s a creepy manipulative dark side to her but I think she just got that way out of despair and desperation, considering the kind of scum she works with. (I really hate that peeping tom Window Star’s antics this episode…actually all the original Vanishing Age group creep me out. T.T) Think of how Mizuno was when she first realized she was stuck on the island and fast forward several years and you’ll (maybe) get Keito (especially since Mizuno knows the one she loves loves someone else too).

Tokio is a serious jerk but I think his son took after his mother, thankfully. I also have every reason to believe that Takuto, Wako AND Sugata will have a much cleaner and happier ending. I’m rooting for Takuto+Wako and Sugata+Keito to pair up.

…I sure hope I don’t regret posting this in public. ^^; I’m really interested in the Star Driver game but I won’t get it til I figure out how the anime’s story goes, just in case it gut-punches me at the last minute.

25. Ncrdrg says:

It’s a good background episode but like someone else said, I can’t shake the feeling that it was too late, too forced. And that it is right now that you feel the impact of those shitty episodes that wasted our time with meaningless fights and filler-like drama near the middle of the series.

It drops the quality of the show both then and later because they have to force-feed the story due to their inability to properly introduce it little by little.

26. madharuhi says:

I had predicted since long ago that either Head or Katashiro is Takuto’s father and somehow the truth is both correct and completely wrong at the same time.

Actually, has the show ever said it straight that Tokio is Takuto’s father (by blood)? All they mentioned was that they share the same family name because Sora sent Takuto to Tokio’s father after he was born.

Well I mean… I know everything is pointing to that fact (with the passing of marks down bloodlines, etc), but I’m still hoping for Katashiro being Takuto’s father even though I already know that’s most likely impossible anymore.

Katashiro’s appearance when he was younger does remind me of Takuto more than when I compared Tokio and Takuto. Though, the Tsunashi family has one thing in common: The ridiculous hairstyles.

I’m still expecting Sugata to go rouge and take up the position of the leader of the Emperor section, and face Takuto as the “final boss” or something like that. Perhaps the monstrous Cybody-like thing in the OP is Samekh’s appearance?

And what does Leon Watanabe have to do with all these? I don’t think he’s merely a supporter and sponsor of the whole Orihalcon research.

27. madharuhi says:

Same. I’m thinking it’s the latter but then again, I can’t say for sure. If it’s the latter then either Head had Professor Green make his age go back to when he was younger, or that it’s his own First Phase ability.

They still have lots of explaining to do though.

– Why is the Ginga Bishounen position so special, even though it’s just a Warrior’s mark like most other Star Drivers’?

– Also, Sugata X Wako X Keito. What kind of ritual is Keito regularly performing? It seems kinda erotic but does that mean Tiger and Jaguar put Sugata to sleep or something? He doesn’t seem to realize it and it can’t be that someone does all kind of things to him while he’s merely asleep and he doesn’t know a single thing.

Actually in a rarity, a sequel season is better than the first.
Which makes my enjoyment of sangatsu so strange.
And I generally do not like game/sports orientated shows.
That you slightlySuper-erMario and superwooper!
And my reaction to the show is such, that I enjoyed it enough to make such a huge pot about it.
Also I want Akari to be my mom and Hina is adorable without being annoyingly so and Kana Hanazawa is doing a good job voicing her.

And whoever said it is right, the op/ed songs are worth listening to, for once I’m not skipping them.
At this point it feels as if by the end of the series I’ll come off it thinking that I don’t want to say goodbye to these characters.
I don’t think as of just yet it complete lives up to honey and clovers legacy though.
I never cared about Harunobu initially, but recent episodes have changed this.
Dull parts of the manga are easier to get through for me in the anime due to Shaft elevating the material with one of the better uses of their visual gimmicks.
Giving the series another chance, even though I won’t fully embrace the humour, it does now and then manage to make me laugh a little.
The bullying arc centering on Hina and the shows treatment of it is better than most anime bullying stories and has provided the most emotionally rewarding aspect of the show.
Characters that are assholes like Kyouko’s boyfriend, Kyouko herself I’m finding somewhat more sympathetic and want to see more to their personal drama.
However I do genuinely think that the series does a good job of allowing dramatic moments to creep up on the viewer, that early scene of Hina crying over her mother, Rei’s family flashbacks, Akari’s concerns about Hina/the stuff with her dad, all the scenes with Kyouko do carry an effective and solid dramatic weight to them.
I feel it starts very strong, making a great first impression, then kind of has these dull moments that make it sort of a slog at times to get through, unfortunately I have no interest in chess/shougi and no knowledge the show tries to give me is going to stick or allow me to embrace that.
Through jumping back and forth between the anime and manga, I can say I have no caught up to where I will now watch March comes like a lion on a weekly basis.
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki
Mmmmmm the suffering of all those innocent people feeding his God boner, this is why I love Inuyashiki
Oh yeah, thats not a knock against it. Just noting they dont *need* much animation
Well, the nature of Mahoutsukai is slow-burned, so it makes sense they focus more on static, quiet moments
Was that blade 2022 thing supposed to be an example? Because I wasnt a fan. It was stylish sure, but difficult to follow.
Maho is a good looking show, I wouldnt call it a great animated show.
The issue for me is, theres just not alot being animated most of the time. Usually its a pretty slow moving anime, so most of its time is talking and still shots. It doesnt need alot of animation, so it doesnt have it.
@Niel, I think Mahoutsukai can have good animation when it wants to. Like the water viel in episode 10 looked good (Though im not sure how much of that was after effects)
uhhh creepy
the blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki so much
I think the security is the same as here, it's just that Japanese people are less likely to rip stuff (correct me if I am wrong). It seems like ripped anime, manga and so on are basically always uploaded by Americans, Chinese people or someone else.
I was surprised heavens feel was camripped I thought security in japanese theatres was stronger.
Yeah it's also screening in Germany, I will watch it in February, together with Heaven's Feel, Mutafukaz, Kimikoe and a few others.
*on Europa cinema
Nanoha new film to screen next February in the US, come in Europa license it for over here dammit....
Did have some down moments though.
And I guess contrasting Luke with his old self goes some way.
Saw the preview screening of the new star wars, still feel the new trilogy stands inbetween the originals and prequels, fufills its duty as a *** star blockbuster , some genuinely hilarious high camp moments, awful tokenism, Snoke is a shit villain, but two scenes with Luke actually have a pathos to them and I liked the chase/action scenes when they happened. Nobody cares about the acting/dialogue
But there are times when it goes way too far and you can barely make out what is even supposed to be happening. Or characters go so off model that they are unrecognizable. It can be immersion breaking. Much like uncanny CGI.
@Niel, I do agree that it's annoying to see people complain about animation when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Like those inbetween frame screenshot people. But I will say I appreciate on model characters more so than chaotic movement. When the off model stuff suits the tone of the scene like that blade runner part, then it's fine.
niel
I also don't want to see someone imply visual=animation for the hundredth time. Are people really that ignorant of the technical/artistic aspect of the media they consumed?
niel
It just depends on what works best in given scene and the aesthetic they want to go for. People can complain all they want about off-model stuff, but if they really only want that the they won't be getting nearly as much of those impactful scenes as there are now. So many of the ways people complain about it is really irking to me.
niel
normal/low action scenes is different from being on-model during the action sequences and just the ones that need some extra impact in general. https://youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ?t=6m45s
niel
But that depends on the situation though. And I'd argue that being consistent and on-model during
@Vonter/Niello/Mario: Ideally I want it both ways, fluid animation AND consistent model visuals, all the while never sacrificing choreography.
But really, who am I to say. I'm the dude who prefer beautiful shot composition myself
The same can be said with Shinkai's movies since he always prefers static, beautiful shot that people tend to overlook that his animation is quite poorly handled
You're right, but art direction does alleviate limited animation, I mean the old Berserk anime, kinda has a lot of slideshow moments. MahoYome has nice backgrounds, and despite the samey faces, at the very least doesn't come from the same mold as other series. Still cutting corners with chibi segments is was a mistake.
SuperWooper
Is it any wonder that people prefer things to be static/on-model? They want to see characters who look consistent and familiar so they can relate to them.
Nie
MahoYome being the biggest offender of people getting triggered to any kind of statement about the show's animation not being good. And it's absurd because the show's animation really isn't great at all. It's good with distracting people with pretty pictures, but animation-wise it's still mediocre.
Nie
@SuperMario: Not much. Just stuff like "Art is part of the animation weather it's beautiful backgrounds or just amazing looking characters. It's not all about how they move. If it was, CG would be considered great animation" multiple times. I've just been finding myself being replied with these kinds of comment non-stop since the start of the season.
@Niello: What happened exactly, if you don't me asking?
Nielllo
If I hear someone says AMB has good animation one more tie I might actually lose it. It's amazing how people who apparently know nothing about it try to defend this and other people who don't know anything are actually supporting the guy.
Niello
So with Fate Apocrypha episode 22 out, I'm just now learning that people think webgen style is horrible and they prefer static scenes with pretty visual over actual quality animation. WTF. I can't comprehend this. Are casual people who watch animation in general really that oblivious to the art they have been watching?
Berserks Dynasty Warriors style game looked better. Also, Mahoutsukai should be up tonight/tomorrow. Turns out, Christmas is a busy time of year at this job.
*worse
Especially when you consider how good CGI can be by now, look at Houseki or Kado. But Berserk was the worst thing I saw in years, many scenes felt worst than sequences of PSX games
@SuperMario: Same. I love Kon and also consider Paprika's OST as the best. @Lenlo: Me too. I honestly even enjoyed the movies but the new series was atrocious
HIRASAWAAAA! HAAAAAI YOOOOO.
I miss the 90s Berserk.
I was also quite fond of his soundtracks for Berserk. AIIIIIYE FORCES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI
@Amagi: I'm a big fan of Kon so I've watched everything from his. Even bought a book about his works. About the soundtrack, I listened to them as well but not regularly, compare to pprika OST which I downloaded and listen to a lot
Although not completely a manga, Usagi yojimbo also has an anthro character.
Millennium actress is partially inspired by the actress Setsuko Hara.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: The anthro-animal manga is even a topseller as far as I know. Haven't looked into it yet, though. Maybe I will do so.
Speaking of it, I am still hoping Dream Machine will happen some day. Kon died believing it would happen
@SuperMario: Have you tried the other Kon movies like Millennium Actress once? Thought they were really good and Hirasawa is responsible for the OST there too. Or Paranoia Agent which was (IMO) very good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nttSKBJ38k (OP)
Eoghan: Enjoy... ;)
While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?
And man Apocrypha is pretty good but it would be twice as good if it had those two changes Aidan always mentions in the reviews..
@Kaiser: I think the male in Kino was a mistake. Having two PoV sounds good, but he's basically just a male Kino, he even looks like her. Someone vastly different would have been way more interesting.
I'd guarantee that sangatsu no lion would be high up, but FINALLY this weekend I'll be catching up.
Niello
@Kaiser, Ugh my phone gitched. What I meant to say was that background was unexpected. Now I see why you're enjoying CotW though.
@Kaiser, That's unexpected.
I enjoyed how outright surreal Arakawa was.
@Amagi: It bothers me that they're stuffing multiple tales into single episodes.
Ah, excel saga, I wonder what I would think of it now, its been years.
@Amagi: I actually respect Aidan's coverage of it.
@Niello: Yes that edgy villain kid in COTWs was annoying though.
@Amagi: I don't care much for the male character that leads some of the episodes in this new adaptation.
@Niello: Its a non-mainstream shoujo that isn't set in a school, moves at a quick enough pace and has some nice background art/chara design, I grew up on shoujo fantasy manga also so theres that.
I mean there are parts I like. I enjoyed the first episode, and the part about the country of liars. But many other things annoy me and the last episode was the worst. I also feel like the edgy bomb loli and slapstick Kino don't fit to the rest of the show somehow. Maybe I forgot everything, but the "old" Kino felt like a better character to me somehow, this one is more faithful to the LNs though
@Kaiser: I honestly gave up on Kino and I think it's only partly the fault of the new series. I am just so tired of how stupid most of the episodic-characters are unless their are friends of Kino, how everyone gets bent being irredeemable evil for plot's sake and how everything Kino and her friends do gets justified. Maybe I am just too old or boring for this fairy tail like moral bending.

Juuni Taisen – 11 [To Treat a Man to Beef From His Own Cow]

To the surprise of no one, Rat wins the race by breaking in the right place at the right time with the right weapon. This is by no mean a coincidence, because later on we learn about Rat’s real power: “Hundred Paths of Nezumi-chan”, in which he can see 100 various outcomes and thus picking […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 10 [We Live and Learn]

Welcome to week 10 of Mahoutsukai! Finally, oh so finally, we have are given some backstory on Elias! Our mysterious male(?) lead gets some explanation. We also get the start of a Chise only arc and finally some more information on Lindel. Lets jump in! As the main focus of this weeks episode, naturally I […]

Dies Irae – 09[A Mother’s Sins]

DIes Irae isn’t making this easy for the anime only watcher, as we get confused montages of Lisa’s backstory and oddly of a character whose relevance doesn’t come till a much later date. I would say it’s rather spoiler-ish if the info wasn’t presented in such a haphazard way that no one could really decode […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 10 [Train – Wavelength – Capture]

Girls’ Last Tour examines the concept of time and space this week, as the girls riding on a lonely moving train. The train design fits right in with this world: a long metal box that functions all by itself and contains many now-dysfunctional robots – corpses of the machines. Since last week we learnt that […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 10[Kind Country]

Another remake of a story from the old series and while this one is adapted quite well, maybe even arguably better than the old version, it unfortunately lacks the same impact. The main problem comes back to the thing which ultimately holds back this season as a whole, story choice. For you see in the […]

Houseki no Kuni – 10 [Shiro]

This week proves to be the most action-packed episode Houseki has been offering so far and unconventionally, it’s Dia who takes the central stage at facing the most ridiculously overpowered Lunarian Titan to date. Well, I said “unconventionally”, but when the narration and the execution (the camera work, in particular) come together in such neat […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 21[Antares Snipe]

When Apocrypha slows down, it’s story shows it’s cracks. But when it’s an action showcase it actually becomes quite entertaining. The characters don’t have the time to be developed but they shine in combat when they clash, sometimes showing parts of themselves the series otherwise doesn’t allow for. Astolfo for one was actually useful for […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100