Posted by psgels on 20 February 2011 with categories: Star Driver

It’s the background episode, and it’s quite a creative one. This episode answered a ton of questions about the main storyline, and did so quite creatively. Head’s background is an interesting and untypical love triangle that completely fell apart thanks to his ambitions. We also get to see Takuto’s mother for the first time (albeit in a flash-back) and I’m surprised at how untypical she is as a mother.

Some of the other things that we see confirmed is that the reason he didn’t age was because his heart is trapped in Zero-time (though we still didn’t learn how exactly this happened), who exactly the old eyepatch guy was, how Takuto got his mark and the reason Head has been delaying the seal breaking (because he wants a friend who is going to give him another seal to wake up).

Seriously, especially that latter point just confirms how this entire series was just basically Head waiting for a guy to get out of a coma. That’s why none of the characters had this sense of urgency, and it’s also how the creators managed to keep the characters able to enjoy their school life. Most of the fights here were just random quarrels that in the end mostly were just red herrings for the real main story. Looking back, I expect the guts of this show to do that, and it all ties down to the decision of the creators to focus a lot on school life, but in the end this slice of life wasn’t solid and realistic enough for this show to really become a masterpiece.

Despite that though, I’m still enjoying this show a lot, because what is there in character analysis is still really good, as this episode showed. That guy clawing his eye out was perhaps a bit extreme, but that power does explain why Head knew just about everything he needed to do. But then again, how the hell do you defeat a guy who can look into the future?
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Vanilla says:

‘how Takuto got his mark’

Is this a typo or?? We’ve already seen that he got it from his Grandfather.

2. Vanilla says:

Oh wait, reading comprehension fail. Anyway, I agree that this series isn’t quite as good as say, Utena but I’ve really enjoyed it too

3. kuromitsu says:

This was a pretty good episode and it did explain many things, but I can’t help feeling that it came too late. As you also said, the slice-of-life episodes weren’t strong enough; the character building hasn’t paid off yet (Watanabe got much focus but is she actually important? Why were other characters ignored? Why wasn’t there more focus on the main trio as a trio until now? why didn’t we see more of Eyepatch Guy? etc.); and all the while there was no real tension until now.

Also, I think this ep was pretty lazy on Head’s character development. Yes, we can put the pieces together but why didn’t they give more info on his involvement in the Cybody project? On his ambition? On his relationship with Sora, or even Coma Guy?

4. kuromitsu says:

Btw, I’m not saying the show is not good – on the contrary, it’s a very good show, very enjoyable. But it’s a bit frustrating to see so much potential lost due to pacing issues. (Which makes me wonder, because Enokido’s other shows that I’ve seen didn’t have such problems…)

5. Clinton says:

the eye patch guy’s name is Ryousuke we see him all the time he is incharge of the gilltering crux meetings

6. Sapphire says:

I’m confused: isn’t the coma guy in the present the same guy who agreed to give his mark to Head in the past? If they are the same guy, why didn’t the transaction work?

Also, the eyepatch guy volunteered to give his mark to Head because he didn’t want the power to look into the future. If he did give him his mark, why does Head need a new one now?

Regarding the romance, I’ve always thought that we would have the main trio end up together, but now I’m not so sure. This episode we learned that Head-Sora-Eyepatch didn’t work, neither did Sugata-Wako-Ivrogne, as the latter said to Takuko. Will the creatores be bold enough to pick just one guy for Wako? I’d like that, personally.

7. Kyubey says:

Clearly this is foreshadowing a Takuto X Sugata ending.

8. qwerty says:

@Sapphire

The coma guy apparently fell into his coma during the mark transfer process, since the person transfering needs to be willing I guess it glitched the system and he ended up in a coma and perhaps this is also how Head’s “heart” got trapped in zero time.

Even though Head has eyepatch-guy’s mark he wants a new one because he’s afraid of the regeneration process and knows he can bypass the whole thing just by getting a new mark.

On another note I’d question whether Head actually ended up with eyepatch-guy’s first phase. After all we saw in episode 1 that Head’s first phase was summoning a star sword outside of a cybody.

9. synkronized says:

I didn’t feel like the guy clawing out his eye was over the top. Jealousy is a nasty feeling . . . being forced to see the person you love with another guy, over and over. I’d probably entertain removing that vision as well to avoid the misery and rage.

About the Sugata x Wako x Takuto triangle. I sincerely hope the series doesn’t cop out and give the “All 3 lived together” ending that Macross Frontier went for.

10. qwerty says:

I’m personally holding out for Keito to switch sides at the last second or to find out that she’s been manipulating things behind the Crux’s back and even behind Head’s back from the beginning to sabotage things in the end.

I really want a happy KeitoxSugata TakutoxWako ending.

11. Dominic says:

Weird how you all talk about the series like its already over. We’re all getting ready for the end and episode was just giving us hints for final stage of this all.

Oh nevermind I’m just gonna say it, Utena’s producer is a troll, pure and simple. When asked simple questions like “why does character x have that pocket watch?” he’d always give the answer like “it looks upon all space and time!”. And this series doesn’t have someone like that that can keep up with all the fan speculation. The comparison with Utena is doing more damage than good for this series.

12. kuromitsu says:

@Dominic: That was Ikuhara Kunihiko, the director of Utena and he doesn’t have anything to do with this show. Enokido Youji was the writer of Utena, and he’s also writing Star Driver – and as far as I’m aware he never trolled anyone. That said, I agree that there’s no point in comparing Star Driver to Utena, but the writer being who he is I expected a bit more, something along the lines of Memory of Oblivion or Ouran Host Club. I’m sure this last arc will be excellent but I can’t help feeling that the 19 episodes before this one could’ve been spent better.

@Clinton: I know who he is but he wasn’t treated as anyone particularly important until now…

As for the romance, I actually hope the trio can stay together, but then I liked Macross F’s approach as well. I’m really not seeing any believable romantic developments aside of Sugata and/or Takuto x Wako. Keito->Sugata is just that: Sugata hasn’t shown any interest in Keito so far and IMO it would be a cop-out if he suddenly fell in love with her in these last episodes, especially seeing how much he cares about Wako.

13. Unentschieden says:

Heads first phase isn´t the vision, it´s the frozen time. Thats why it´s “Vanishing Age”.

14. Sapphire says:

@qwerty

Thanks for the explanation! But how do we know that the regeneration process is able to make a driver lose his mark? A simple battle can’t do that, it can only make a driver lose the Cybody, not the mark. So I guess it still doesn’t make enough sense that Head needs another mark, because we don’t know how it can be lost yet.

15. qwerty says:

@Sapphire

Never said he lost his mark. He still has the mark he got from eyepatch-guy and just wants to overwrite it.

The threat is the regeneration process which only works for people with high libidos, anyone who doesn’t have the right libido ends up either dead or in a coma, can’t remember which.

Head doubts he could survive the process but wants to have an active cybody for when they break the last two seals so instead of risking his life he’s just going to get another mark.

16. Tuan says:

I was disappointed in this episode. The first 19 was simple, happy, and nice. Then they pop this episode where everything becomes dark, gloomy, and sad. The depressing love triangle, foreshadowing the current love triangle. On top of it, they finally decided to play dirty. It’s like a completely different anime.

17. Bakugan says:

The best episode yet, as it answers questions in the past. I guess the story plot is just too short and they kinda make some episodes a not really so significant until this episode airs.

18. Blue Bomber says:

Aa bit of a ***SPOILER*** if I’m right, but:

Uhh, did anyone notice Head’s original last name? If I’m not looking into this too much, that, coupled with him apparently not aging, and the whole pocket watch deal = he’s [spoiler] and [spoiler]’s [spoiler]. Won’t ruin it by completely blurting it out (should be easy enough to figure out), but it seems like that’s what’s going on to me. That’s one way to bail out the love triangle, I guess…

19. qwerty says:

@Blue Bomber

I think you’re a bit behind the curve. There has been speculation on Takuto’s father for a long time now, this is just the first episode to actually spell it all out.

20. defrayal says:

Very disappointed with Sora’s affair. Especially hated the part where she gave up halfway while reaching for Katashiro’s hand. Also felt heart wrenching when Katashiro was surrounded by the nude paintings of Sora. Argh, what a tragedy.

I’m predicting an ending where Reiji returns to the name of Tsunashi Tokio and leaves the island with Takuto, a happy family reunion between him and Sora. Wako follows Takuto and pursue her dream as a singer. Sugata stays at the island with Keito. Keito gives up her dream for Sugata, probably recuperating after losing to Takuto @ the final epic battle.

And Tokio… for a mark… you actually turn gay. -.-ll Tokio’s no Galactic Pretty Dad.

21. Kyubey says:

Tokio should have just made a contract with the vice president.

22. Troyen says:

I’m a little disappointed that they built up an interesting cast of diverse Crux members in the first half of the series and then shoved most of them all aside in favor of two obnoxious newcomers in the second.

23. Tractatus says:

If Head has Ryuusuke’s “Resh” mark, and Shingo still retains his own “Shin” mark due to failing to transfer……then why is the Shin mark at the same time engraved on Ryuusuke’s mask? Is that just a artificial mark red herring?

Also, it seems that it’s confirmed the crux can approvises multiple cybodies. That’s probably how they’ll go about breaking the other two seals.

24. meow says:

I’m not sure how to intepret Ryousuke’s end episode remark. Is Tokio’s heart literally trapped in zero time or was Ryousuke simply commenting that Tokio was completely seduced by zero time (ie. his ambition), given how he couldn’t remember when Sora left the island, even though he had a baby with her, proving that he just seduced her to get involved in the ruins project, and probably seduced coma guy to get his mark. Sora had already realized this by the time she and Ryousuke had that conversation on the couch but got gut-punched further when Ryousuke gave his watch to her, proving to her that Ryousuke loved her all along and she lost him for falling for the scheming Tokio. Also, explains why she left the island and abandoned her baby to Tokio’s father. I don’t quite understand why Ryousuke would continue to support Tokio though, after what he’s been doing, especially to Sora. The true nature of Tokio’s ambition still isn’t clear. He seems to want to use the power of the ruins to play God and remake the world like one of his paintings but I’m not sure if that will lead to a good or bad result. Is Ryousuke simply very hopeful that Tokio will make the world a better place, even after what he did to Sora and him?

MAJOR SPOILER SPECULATION FOLLOWS (I was kinda reluctant to mention this stuff because I didn’t want to jinx the story. I think the producers of this show are really trying to keep everyone guessing and may actually try to tweak the story a little in response to viewer feedback so that the story doesn’t seem too predictable.)

As for Keito, my read is she simply wants to get off the island and pursue her dreams as an idol, instead of being stuck protecting the ruins and pining for a guy (Sugata) who doesn’t love her. There’s a creepy manipulative dark side to her but I think she just got that way out of despair and desperation, considering the kind of scum she works with. (I really hate that peeping tom Window Star’s antics this episode…actually all the original Vanishing Age group creep me out. T.T) Think of how Mizuno was when she first realized she was stuck on the island and fast forward several years and you’ll (maybe) get Keito (especially since Mizuno knows the one she loves loves someone else too).

Tokio is a serious jerk but I think his son took after his mother, thankfully. I also have every reason to believe that Takuto, Wako AND Sugata will have a much cleaner and happier ending. I’m rooting for Takuto+Wako and Sugata+Keito to pair up.

…I sure hope I don’t regret posting this in public. ^^; I’m really interested in the Star Driver game but I won’t get it til I figure out how the anime’s story goes, just in case it gut-punches me at the last minute.

25. Ncrdrg says:

It’s a good background episode but like someone else said, I can’t shake the feeling that it was too late, too forced. And that it is right now that you feel the impact of those shitty episodes that wasted our time with meaningless fights and filler-like drama near the middle of the series.

It drops the quality of the show both then and later because they have to force-feed the story due to their inability to properly introduce it little by little.

26. madharuhi says:

I had predicted since long ago that either Head or Katashiro is Takuto’s father and somehow the truth is both correct and completely wrong at the same time.

Actually, has the show ever said it straight that Tokio is Takuto’s father (by blood)? All they mentioned was that they share the same family name because Sora sent Takuto to Tokio’s father after he was born.

Well I mean… I know everything is pointing to that fact (with the passing of marks down bloodlines, etc), but I’m still hoping for Katashiro being Takuto’s father even though I already know that’s most likely impossible anymore.

Katashiro’s appearance when he was younger does remind me of Takuto more than when I compared Tokio and Takuto. Though, the Tsunashi family has one thing in common: The ridiculous hairstyles.

I’m still expecting Sugata to go rouge and take up the position of the leader of the Emperor section, and face Takuto as the “final boss” or something like that. Perhaps the monstrous Cybody-like thing in the OP is Samekh’s appearance?

And what does Leon Watanabe have to do with all these? I don’t think he’s merely a supporter and sponsor of the whole Orihalcon research.

27. madharuhi says:

Same. I’m thinking it’s the latter but then again, I can’t say for sure. If it’s the latter then either Head had Professor Green make his age go back to when he was younger, or that it’s his own First Phase ability.

They still have lots of explaining to do though.

– Why is the Ginga Bishounen position so special, even though it’s just a Warrior’s mark like most other Star Drivers’?

– Also, Sugata X Wako X Keito. What kind of ritual is Keito regularly performing? It seems kinda erotic but does that mean Tiger and Jaguar put Sugata to sleep or something? He doesn’t seem to realize it and it can’t be that someone does all kind of things to him while he’s merely asleep and he doesn’t know a single thing.

Customize
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
afgm
@AidanAK47 did you change my site status? K-off did that on purpose to help out lol
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.
Bam
@K-off: I thought of a combined post, but my OCD wouldn't allow a skip in the episodic order of the reviews.
Usually when you go camping in Yellowstone or Yosemite the tourist industry kills those places, like I'd be on a rowboat and see cars, cabins, and people from a long ways offshore. The Adirondacks are nice because their building codes mandate construction to be hidden behind trees.
@Bam My favorite camping spot is the Adirondacks in upstate NY, I went there probably 4-7 times and never get tired of the place. No, I don't have any posts for now, but for future reference consider combining episodic reviews when you get behind. I.E. Episode 6-8 Review
Bam
Also there's a reader in the comment section of Berserk 07 who wants to know if we have a notification system. I vaguely remember a widget that links the site to a FaceBook page. If anybody knows how that works, or if it's still functional, please shed some light on the matter for him/her. Thx.
Bam
@Aidan @K-off @Mario either one of y'all has any post near completion? I'm almost done with Berserk 08 and as previously mentioned, really prefer not to put two reviews up back to back. I think the length of them is already a hassle for some to get thru, let alone two right after eachother. I think it hurts the viewership, but if nothing's on hand then I'll guess I'll just finish up and post mine.
Bam
@Kaiser: I was actually camping near a mountain, but aren't all mountains somewhat holy? That could be my bias tho, since I was raised on the Alborz mountain range, and for me there is something therapeutic about the mountain air.
Yes! Looks like the shoutbox is fixed and not deleting posts after 24 hours anymore!
lol Or you could live in the shitty suburb where I do and spend your time just waiting for when your internet connection randomly cuts out twice a month or as it has the past few days two-three times a day.
Basically bam went up the Holy mountain .
@Mario: ....guy I know who loves war films and I've ended up inadvertedly/un-intentionally gotten him to buy some fucked up Polish horror film that just happens to be set in WW2. lol he's going to be pretty freaked out when he watches it.
Bam
Everything been cool here? Hehe ... looks like I conveniently missed all the hard parts.
Bam
@Mario: thx m8. I wish I could just make it down to Rio on a whim, but then again, I took a much-needed vacation, so I ain't complaining.
Welcome back Bam, I was already convinced that you went to Rio for screwing around. Lol
Bam
Also I apologize for the absence. I was gone somewhere without reliable internet access, and looking back I should've gave a notification.
Either way, I'm back now, and will be jumping on getting those Berserk reviews out as soon as possible.
Bam
Man looky here with the renovations; I like it.
@Vyse: wow. So how was the sites then back from 2005?
@Kaiser: and what is that sh!te you're talking about?
VyseLegendaire
<— fixed
VyseLegendaire
<— me
VyseLegendaire
Ive been a reader since 2005
Haha, this'll be fun lol
.....that feeling when you keep going on about a show or film but fail to give all the details...and someone goes out and buys it not knowing the full extent of the mad shit their in for...s--t lol
any reader from 2005 here....
@Mario: This guy seems interesting: https://letterboxd.com/director/tsai-ming-liang/
@Mario: Hmm, not familiar with him.
I really really loved in the mood for love, alot, it emotionally effected me. I even watched it three times.
@Mario: I couldn't seem to enjoy any of Zimou yangs films apart from Hero, which had some pretty creative fight scenes. I've seen the story of Ricky and some of John-woos films but they were more just silly entertaining exploitation films.
Don't know if you know the Vietnamese-French Tran Anh Hung. His works are stunning too. If you want to check out East-Asian cinema don't forget to check him out.
@Kaiser: Yeah, but Park Chan Wood changed the ending, so the author insisted that the Handmaiden is more "inspired" than "based". The third chapter is the weakest part for me
@Mario: Of interest, The handmaiden was based on some British book/tv show.
I need to completely re-evaluate/get into more Chinese cinema.
Doesn't look like I've seen anything by Hong-sang-so.
My favourite Korean actor is song-kang-ho.
Theres an anime convention over here in Dublin in three months. Although I haven't been to one in years.
I'm heading to anime convention today. Normally I don't really care about those conventions but I figure I'd come this year to see the taste of it. The only hassle is it's 3-hour drive, which gonna be a pain when I drive back after a long day being there.
Bong Joon-ho, on the other hand,is incredible at writing. His scripts are often layered, sharp and best of all fuses many tones/ genres into one coherent whole. The best thing about this Korean New Wave directors is they all have very distinctive voices. But my favorite director isn't the ones that you list. That would be Hong Sang Soo. I just love his simplicity style so much.
@Kaiser: Park Chan Wood is a master of visual. Whenever I come to his movies I expected to be blown-away by his visual. He can write compelling characters (he loves his characters) as well but his screenplays in general are weak. You can watch his lesser effort "I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay" and see many things that made him good/bad. That's the movie I feel he made without the care of the critic
afgm
afgm
@koff: Yeah I can help. But midterms/finals are coming up so I can't dedicate to much time.
I always felt Bong-jong and Chang-dong , kim-di-duk and Kim-jee-woon were better than Park-chan-wook. Oldboy did have that one hell of an ending, so did lady vengeance but I feel that those are the bits people tend to remember and the rest was good but not great.
For anyone that doesn't regularly browse /r/anime, Godzilla is apparently getting an anime adaption by Polygon Pictures with Urobuchi involved. Should be good.
Well, I climbed to rank 52 in Overwatch with Tracer alone. Looking forward to season 2 already, but I do wish Blizzard had somehow implemented a single-player storyline since the lore in Blizzard titles is always so vast. Kind of surprised they didn't make one with Overwatch.
@Kaiser Watch Train to Busan if you can. Me neither, I can't dig too deep into Korean films due to the language barrier. Sure would be convenient to have Vincent recommending films again.
@afgm Hey, are you still interested in helping out with the site? At this point I'm looking over the site's code & doing some rewriting - if you think you can help, let me know.
@Mario I hadn't watched Old Boy for 6 years when I got to I Saw the Devil and it was out of mind for me, so you may be right.
@K-Off: maybe it was just me but I was underwhelmed by I Saw the Devil. The point it trying to match was similar to OldBoy, and Oldboy's execution was way better (OldBoy's one of my favorite movie). Yes, the soundtracks of OldBoy, Lady Vengeance are exceptional. I still listen to The Last Waltz after all those years...
The soundtrack in a lot of these Korean films are top notch as well, Lady Vengeance and I Saw the Devil in particular.
@Mario Speaking of which, Korean psychological thrillers are hands down some of the best in the last 10-20 years. I Saw the Devil, Lady Vengeance, Old Boy, list goes on.
@Aidan: It just comes to me that we're already half way of this season... Time sure flies
@Kaiser: so please finish up Inside Mari. The last chapter had been out. I need someone to talk about that goddamn manga anw
@Kaiser: I always consider the Korean New Wave started back in 2000, and really peaked in 2003 (OldBoy, Memories of Murders, Spring Summer..., A Tale of 2 Sisters). Before 2000? The only director I can think of was Im Kwon-Taek
About nearly finished Fata Morgana but I might have to finish doom first because that thing is eating a huge chunk of my SSD drive.
Back up to date...at least for now. I have to go to a wedding so It's likely I will fall behind again. Got to admit that I haven't had much of an opinion on the latest episodes. Might be just mentally drained personally.
@K-off: I totally agree with you. 28 Days Later is a gem. Though I'm not really into zombie genre as a whole, I'm more into psychological stuffs more.
@Mario: Reminding me I need to catch up on boku mari no naka.
Although the trailer for train to busan does catch my interest.
I've gotten more than enough out of Korean films, I can enjoy them but I probably don't sing the same high praises for them as most bar some exceptions.
Seeing Lee-chang-dongs stuff I'm actually kind of interested in finding some more low key korean films.
Very likely a view shared by my indie loving friend and I, but Battery and Wyrmwood were jokey takes on the zombie genre I thought were enjoyable.
@Mario: Likely my preference for British comedy that makes me laugh more at Shaun of the dead more. Although Hot fuzz is the better Simon Pegg film in my opinion.
In terms of Korean films, I've been wondering, what are the pre-90s ones like. Lee-chang-dong started the Korean new wave in 1997.
I'm still waiting for a good horror-zombie film, nothing has met my expectations after 28 Days Later (and techinically REC), which admittedly is a high bar.
@Mario I am watching Seoul Station next week, that was just me recapping TtB after I watched it a few days ago. It's definitely more of a thriller, it has good "wtf" moments but nothing I'd call horror.
@K-Off: I thought you were going to watch Seoul Station? So I gather that Train of Busan is more thriller than horror? Just thinking of Zombieland already puts a smile on my face. That one and Shaun of the Dead are so goddamn hilarious.
@Aidan: I will review them in the future. atm I'm in watching/ reading mode so I'll push back all the world movie/ full show reviews for a while
@Mario My impression of Train to Busan was that although it wasn't anything ground breaking, it had a great cast of characters and an entertaining gimmick that managed to stay exhilarating. I haven't seen a zombie film this well structured since Zombieland, even though they're completely opposite in tone.
They are all yours if you want to do them.
Reading Inside Mary makes me want to watch Flowers of Evil again. If I remember correctly psgels never actually had a full review on this one, and Ping Pong.
@Vyse, Width wise it's exactly the same as the old chat box. Though it's possible the old one had smaller font.
VyseLegendaire
This chat box is too narrow I think, only see a couple messages.
@Anon18138, Yeah but I don't see that writer making something that truly represents the games. There may be a possibility of it being a good movie but that movie won't be Pokemon.
@AidanAK47 It'll have the writer of Gravity Falls. Though I don't have a high standard in regards to the 3D mascot and live-action style of movies.
They originally planned to male a live-action remake of Seoul Station, as the producer saw a footage of the animation and really loved it; but Yeon Sang-Ho (the director) insisted that if he was about to make a live-action film, he's go for a sequel instead. Hence Train of Busan.
@K-off: I missed my chance to watch Train to Busan but I heard nothing but rave from it. People who watched it really loved it. Damn, you make me jealous man, since I want to watch Seoul Station and review it here. Come watch it and tell me what you think; my bet is you'll enjoy it.
@Mario Have you watched Train to Busan? I'm planning to watch its animated prequel Seoul Station next week. Animation looks shabby as hell but I can always expect a good story from the koreans.
So the live action Pokemon movie will feature detective pikachu. Clearly a necessary inclusion.
I'm reading Inside Mary now and it's quite a gem despite its ridiculous premise. There's a lot of raw emotions. I love raw emotions. As expected from the same guy who wrote Flowers of Evil.
Yep, when she sends the images let me know. It may have been a while ago but I am a qualified graphic designer so even I can lend a hand to the banner design.
Ugh...a new version of wordpress is ready to be updated to. I have a bad feeling updating to the latest version could potentially break things.
Alright, I've got Friend onbaord with a commission for our new banner. She says she'll send us sketches so we can decide if it's something we want.
Considering how much trouble this plugin has given us, i am not up for adding another one. Only thing the subscriber account thing needs is me to tick and box and get rid of that password promt.
@Aidan You can set that up if you'd like, though another idea would be to set up buddypress and link it to there. But it's yet again another plugin.

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

91 Days - 06 4

91 Days – 06

I would say this is the strongest episode so far of 91 Days as it essentially revolves around what makes Mafia drama at it’s best. Betrayals, scheming and deceit are what fuels organised crime and what a scheme this was. When looking at the three family leaders I suppose it’s no surprise that Orco is […]

s8gAnPY

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]

Kiznaiver - 12 1

Kiznaiver Review – 60/100

Kiznaiver is a very different faire from Studio Triggers other works in that it takes a more serious tone and has a writer who tends to go more for the melodramatic. This is a tale about a group of very different people gathered together and have their pain linked to one another. In an effort […]