Posted by psgels on 28 February 2011 with categories: Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?

oh boy, this was a disaster. It was an episode that was doomed to fail, simply because of the decision of the creators to include the new girl into the cast of major characters. I mean… what exactly do they hope to get out of someone with such a terrible backstory? This episode could at least have been enjoyable if it wasn’t for her utterly contrived reason to fall in love with the lead character. I mean, is she supposed to be another parody or something?

This pretty much was an episode that contained nothig but character building, oly to come with some drama at the final minute. So, after having to sit through some completely generic dating scenes, what do we get? The lead female gets kidnapped. Ooh, we’re original now. Seriously, what happened? The drama in this show used to be so good. Cliches like these could be excused in the introduction of a series, to get the plot started. Not when you’re nearly done!

The only enjoyment in this episode was in the small details, like surprisingly smooth animation, the hilariously named “Mask Donalds”, good poses and facil expressions and the surprisingly good food jokes ehre, even though cooking girls usually are beating the same dead horse over and over again. Like I said: it could have been an interesting episode, but when the creators have such a terrible premise for an episode, what can really be done with it?
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. Solaris says:

>The drama in this show used to be so good.
    WHERE?!? It’s all about overclichees fanservice based jokes and sometimes some actually nice parody like last ep santas’ … where did you find drama? In the smoke maybe?

2. psgels psgels says:

Well, Hellscythe’s background, for example.

3. hoiut says:

I agree completely with this, every word! I did think it was cute that Ayumu is reluctant about being dragged into marriage when the very beginning of the episode proves how unwilling he is to settle on any one female.

Side note: many words in the review got misspelled somehow — looks like a case of missing letters for the most part, strangely enough. Maybe enabling “Check spelling” in Firefox when you type these up would address the increasing rate of typos? I dunno, I’m sorry. I know you’re short on time and it’s easy enough to read anyway, so I can shut up now.

@Solaris: THE DRAMA, man. Yes, it’s in the smoke. It’s mostly in the relationship between Yuu and Kusomushi (or really anytime Yuu plays a central role in the series).

4. Frost says:

Huh… Yeah

WTF is going on, Zombie was awesome until 2 episodes ago, and now this new character got introduced and is singlehandedly ruining the show

Good fucking job whoever thought it was a good idea… I couldnt even sit through this episode, I just dropped it 5 minutes in and deleted it, thats how bad it was

5. Solaris says:

Did you really find those puny 5 minutes back in episode 4 worth of being called dramatic? Shouldn’t we call it cheap cheese maybe?
    Cause that’s all i could stretch and call dramatic in whole 2/3 of the serie. Is there more i’d fail to notice?

6. Alec says:

The last 2 episodes are mediocre. the next episode will probably get things back on the right track.

Everything kinda went crazy after Yuki came.

7. Solaris says:

I’d add Korezombi showed all of those clichees you fiercely hated in other shows, but then, tell me why is it ok here but are those such a letdown in Star Driver or Yumekui merry as example? What if they put a beach episode here too? Should you go and say it’s carbage for the sake of coherence or rather would you just excuse it the same way you did when they showed haruna’s fanservice before?

8. Hogart says:

I agree with Solaris, the drama in this show was never really all that good. The premise behind Hellscythe and her drama could actually have been very successful, but I found the delivery weak and unconvincing. But then, everything about this anime is pretty weak except some of the premises and arguably the male lead.

The show’s just meandering it’s way into oblivion now, instead of using what little character development it managed to build up. Like you say, psgels, this simply isn’t the time for them to be screwing around.. especially since they such so much at screwing around.

9. Spike says:

I think some of you are looking for this show to be something it’s not. Its a fanservice comedy, that’s it. Drama and plot are just ways to introduce the cliches and tropes that the crowd it’s aiming at loves. And if you read 2ch- they really do love it. Just enjoy the show for what it is and stop lookng for something deeper.

10. hoiut says:

It’s not about depth, it’s about even meeting its own expectations. We know this show is capable of more, and at this point what it has managed to pull off should come together, not languish in tepid uninspired frivolity.

Wait, did I just say frivolity? As in frivolousness? In KZD? Yes, but it has to be said. This show made a name for itself in its UNCONVENTIONAL and WITTY use of frivolity. Now it’s fallen into the cliched, trope-laden wasteland of mediocrity, destroyed by the very premise it made out to subvert.

11. Solaris says:

WOW! Are #3 and #10 even the same person? Cause that’d be some amazing change of opinion after 2 more people popped your ‘drama’ delusion.
    This show proved to be anything unconventional and witty, except that very good first episodes that fired our expectations too high. The real problem with this show is that id does try too much to be what it shouldn’t be. It’s a fanservice party and it shouldn’t try to add drama where it’s not really needed, cause the result is just cheese.

12. Kyubey says:

I really liked the last two episodes. Needs more Kyoko though.

13. ItsYou says:

@Solaris: I beg to differ there. IMO, Korezom is much better when it balanced out Drama and ridiculousness perfectly. Eps 1-3 played ridiculousness out well, and eps 4-6 played the Drama portion well.
    That was what made the show great in the first place.

The problem with the past 2 episodes is that it was too ridiculous, I mean honestly, how many of you was expected that weird-ass device at the end of ep 6 to be used to power Megalos or create them?

Instead, they changed it to a Megalo-killing ramen maker, see how overly ridiculous and almost wasted that seemed?

Personally, the only good things about the past 2 eps were:

– The Horse and Jellyfish Megalo
    – The girl that gave Ayumu the glasses.
    – The demon santa thing
    – The Mask Donald ‘Shut Up’ Dude

Still, it seems that KoreZom is starting to enter Drama mode again from the ending. And I pray to god the final boss-fight would be as epic as the Kyoko fight in eps 5 and 6

Also, agreed that it needs more Kyoko.

14. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: I liked parts of the drama. Not just hellscythe’s past, but also some of those smaller scenes and expositions. Why am I suddenly delusional for having a different taste than yours?

Also, I don’t fault this series at all for trying to be more than a fanservice series. It’s the reason why I started blogging this thing in the first place. Obviously your mileage may vary with this.

15. Alec says:

Fanservices/Cliches does not define whether the anime is good or bad.

Those 2 things are usually unavoidable to begin with

16. Solaris says:

Apart that the delusion thing was directed at Houit, my problem with you is, PSgels, is not about tastes.
    My own problem with everyone is i’m quite harsh explaining my point of view, so i beg pardon for that, but it’s my trademark. Just live with that please.
    My problem with you, psgels is rather something regarding comment #7. Why the differences in evaluating similar aspects in different shows? Why so many mistakes in your reviews? Why overlooking so many details in your judgenment? Tastes are important, but what about objectivity? You anwered questions i made you before with the lamest reason ever: “because I like it, so what’s the problem?”. The problem, you say? That’s the problem, dammit! You had the habit to evaluate shows entirely and based your judgement on reason but NEVER tastes alone! I am missing that from you. Your advanced reasoning.

17. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: ah, now that’s an interesting comment.

I’m not sure whether I fully get what you mean, but interestingly, I started putting much more focus on what I liked in individual episodes because people were telling me that I kept talking too much about the big picture and too little about what actually went on in the episodes. Seems like I hit the other end of that extreme now.

Also, regarding overlooking so many details: I never claim to be complete. Focusing on every single detail would just take too much time. If I don’t mention it, it just means that I don’t have much to say about it without having to repeat myself too much.

18. Alec says:

indeed it is interesting. Even I can somehow agree.

19. ZoboCamel says:

I’ve gotta say here that I prefer subjectivity and focus on individual things in an anime blog. Trying to judge entertainment objectively seems a little silly to me; one series could be masterfully made and yet not be entertaining to anyone, while another might have production issues but be far more fun to watch. Honestly, I’d say the second show is the better one – after all, it’s entertainment, and there’s really no way to judge the quality of a show apart from a collection of subjective opinions. If people are saying ‘because I like it’ about a show, then, well, there’s obviously something about that show to make them like it.

20. Solaris says:

ZoboCamel’s opinion is honest, but beware that the ‘i like it’ way is mostly superficial to begin with.
    Star Crossed was ever great because of Psgels’ attitude to pierce through what’s objectionable and subjective and go straight to the point adding a whole layer of deep analysis. And that was unseen everywhere else in the Internet. Would he subtract from that and Star Crossed will slowly change into one of many other generic blogs out there: Worthless.
    I can see the starting point. Once upon a time Psgels had no problem to find material to blog. He’d find rare gems and pick them readily for everybody to enjoy as if he had a kind of third eye to spot quality in the raw. Stuff that generic people didn’t even care to consider, so far from generic standards, and even ugly to look at first sight, but that somehow had something worthwhile. Psgels saw them at instant and blogged it.
    What’s with all of that uneasiness now? At last two season start it was embarrassing to see all of that pick-up and drop-down wheel play. Stuff like Mitsudomoe and Korezombi, to name the latests, would have never win the right to be blogged before, even if he’d actually love them to death. Because it’s canon there is a big difference between raw taste and actual quality. Recognizing that wasn’t an issue before, but rather that third eye is closed now. Sleeping, maybe? I want to wake it up now!

21. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: I think I know what you mean and I agree with it mostly, and I’m going to try to put some more depth into my posts again. A few comments, though:

– I don’t agree that I used to be objective. Every time I analyzed a show, it was all based on what I find important in a series. For other people, that can be completely different.
    – As for the reason why I’m no longer picking out the underrated gems: this season doesn’t really have many of those. Only Level E perhaps fits that bill.

22. Solaris says:

Dammit Psgels: That excessive humble side of yours sometimes irks me :/
    >I never claim to be complete
    >I don’t agree that I used to be objective.
    You say that, but how is it you were always able to spot on the important features, keypoints and fine details in the shows with no effort?
    Let’s call it talent, or rather that’s the natural expression of your rational side.
    It’d be nice to know why you decided to change your method so heavily at last. Were you unsatisfied with it?
    PS: This is a very big OT I made. I wonder if it would be possible to move this to the forum instead, and go on there?

23. skchai says:

This was an episode aimed solely at otaku who enjoy intricate deconstruction of moe anime tropes. Taking it from that point of view, it was technically proficient and creative in the way it went through even some of the more obscure tropes and tried to recombine them in the most unlikely ways possible. It was a “pure” episode devoted to the main theme of the series.

It isn’t even parodying gap moe directly, but rather the complex efforts that creators make to generate gap moe, and the often strange results. The shojo-style school wife x magical girlfriend x kyuuketsu ninja superpower x harem exercise all show a deep familiarity with the tropes (including sly references to a number of previous shows).

Of course, it does has no relationship to what little plot the show has, and the characters themselves are just empty vessels for this exercise, something Ayumu in typical fashion complains about directly.

And it is not particularly funny unless you are so pre-tuned to previous series using gap moe that the juxtaposition hits intuitively, without consciously having to think about what you just saw. I am not at that “level” compared to a some 2ch vippers who were entranced, but can at least see why they were. But primarily it comes across as very technical at best. . .

In a sense, this was a pretty brave move on the creator’s part, since they know they could be alienating all but this hard-core. I doubt they will try anywhere near this extreme it for future episodes. However, a mandatory “trope-mincing” episode would be an improvement over staple character role change/sad back story or misunderstood love confession episodes (except when the plot actually needs it), much less beach episodes.

Of course, the main characters are just empty vehicles for this exercise, something they

24. hoiut says:

Yeah, same person. Change in opinion? …Not so much. The reason I commented twice is because each addressed a fundamentally different aspect of the anime — the cuteness of Ayumu’s “wife” situation and a tongue-in-cheek reference to whatever “drama” I happened to observe. I wasn’t commending it or anything, and a bit of cuteness certainly cannot pretend to save the series from its [apparent] downward spiral.

Heheh, as for psgel’s reviews, I think they hit the mark. He seems to use a global “big-picture” standpoint when called for and and episode-specific one when relevant. His reviews don’t seem to exhibit the inconsistencies or double standards of which you repeatedly and passionately speak.

Havnt had the chance to watch it yet, but Reflection apparently looks like a comic book but has weird fight scenes? Ill get that write up tomorrow once I watch it tonight.
*hear
Jesus Christ what happened to my spelling
That's one of the things that mainly turned me off. The battle system is essentially button mashing.
The regular complaint I here from Tales of naysayers is a dislike of the battle mechanics/system.
I avoided the anime adaptations of the tales games mostly because I assumed they presumed previous knowledge of the games. I actually only saw Phantasia due to having been familiar with the games story when I was younger.
HelghastKillzone
No Re:Creators this week. I get a week off which is good since I'm stuck on an army base.
@K-Off, A lot of people say Vesperia is their favorite as well. I only have played Abyss so far and was really not impressed with it.
@Kaiser Damn, Detective Conan has a long way to go then.
Phantasia was my first Tales game (and its anime is the best amongst anything after) but Symphonia really did take it to another level. In general I think most fans will agree with Symphonia, Abyss, and Xillia in their favorites.
I believe Kochikame is the longest running manga of all time 1,960 chapters, 200 volumes, actually does have a record.
@Aidan I remember you saying how it's funny that no two fans of Tales will have the same favorite title. But that's definitely because Tales has changed very little over the years, and they've always been solid games, and so for most fans they'll remember the first title they played.
@Vonter With you there. The art direction in Tales hasn't been really that exciting since Xillia, and as a long time fan of the series I finally got sick of the gameplay after Vesperia.
Jeez, detective Conan is reaching its 1000th chapter. Pretty sure it's a milestone for some Guinness record.
*Embarassing
**Here
I also agree about complaints made about the mumbled dialogue when it does occur.
I think thin red line is a good thing to bring up hear as throughout much of Dunkirk I was thinking about how much more Mallick's film did for me, how I should have been re-watching that instead.
Yet at the same time I couldn't connect with it, it became repetitive, disjointed and the shots/Zimmer score towards the end were embaeassing.
There were definitely aspects to praise, to be fair there is no shortage of action, it eschews exposition and tries to visually immerse the viewer to make them feel as if they are present.
Im ready. Reflection comes on tomorrow, so heres hopin its worth it
it was trash. just british propaganda
I finished Tales of Berseria. And I'm conflicted. I really liked the story and the characters, essentially a Tales of were the story is told form the perspective of the villains. I also saw the episodes Ufotable made of the beginning of the game, and I want moar. It's was a waste as game, considering the archaic and dull game design. It mainly came up to buying time in regards to things to play.
I also watched it. I thought it was a great war film. Very intense and unrelenting, but still at points the images reminded me of Thin Red Line. My only quip was the end. The film did a great job in getting me to feel the hopelessness the soldiers felt. So great that the attempt at making a "happy" end was forced and fell flat. Beyond that I liked it.
I already lost interest when I saw Inception which I didn't really like. My favorite Nolan movie will always be Memento.
Eh, saw Dunkirk, I think at this point I'm done with giving Nolan any more chances, this like his other works, I can appreciate them to some extent but come away honestly not giving a damn.
and this week's Sakura Quest is damn great as well... This backstory of Chitose and Kadota rocks
Just watching the 2nd episode of Gamers, It was actually pretty good. I can't believe they fleshing out that annoying hot guy into such a relatable guy.
I recall the extent of my interest in Linkin park in my early teens was strictly the breaking the habit video and that was it.
The frontman of Linkin Park commited suicide by hanging himself... sad news. Never been his fan but I feel sad nonetheless
Actually forgot with all the impressions and whatnot but I do believe we said we would review the Castlevania Netflix series. Now that everything has calmed down I will see if I can do a write up next week.
I was busy trying to discern whether the story had any point besides "Life is shit"
Again, while I enjoyed punpun, the excessive internal narration, when marathoned, I had to take a break.
Come to think of it, I don't even have a phone that does that, haven't bought a new one since 2004.
Ah, you see I could never force myself to browse/type/use the internet on a phone, too used to using a desktop exclusively for that.
Oh bloody hell. Stupid phone autocorrect. Yeah I meant Punpun.
@Aidan: Read Freesia.
umi no onnanoko is probably the exact thing ninjarealist would be interested in.
*oyasumi punpun
I found it alot more accessible than nijigahara holograph. deded-demon-destruction while enjoyable, is beneath him. Solanin is probably his easiest work.
I assume you man oyasui punpun. Its been about five years since I read in, the final couple of volumes stay in my mind the most, all the stuff with him, the girl and his uncle also, I love Asano Inios art and the surreal elements but I got lost/bored somewhere in the middle and most of the other side characters and the cult thing I didn't really care about.
Finished reading Goodnight Pumping. Really not sure on what to think of it. The story kept me reading but it just felt really empty.
There are 2 Nyaa's now. This one is considered the 'real' one: https://nyaa.si
Looks like anirena is down for me. Although it looks like nyaa went back up as this: https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/
Aidan: Fate/Apocrypha, Made in Abyss, Kakegurui
Mario: Princess Principal, 18if, Youkoso
Lenlo: Touken Ranbu, The Reflection
Wooper: Ballroom, Shoukoku no Altair
Helghast: Re:Creators
Note: I'm deciding to take Classroom of the Elite as my third show to cover. So, for this season we are covering 11 shows.
Just to end, it kind of shows than even if a story is predictable on where it is going. Characters can make up for that, if they're funny, interesting, and perhaps not agreeing all the time and having different agendas and points of view despite all sharing the same boat.
Yet as a game Tales hasn't felt deep since Symphonia, (at least from the ones I've played). I'm wondering if it'll leave me wanting check the anime of Zestiria, since apparently Berseria is a prequel to that game. And many say the anime is better than the game. (I can see why).
I also like the reused Tales beats from Phantasia and Berseria. It those have moments like when Lloyd was exiled and Cless had his village attacked. It has clear antagonists unlike Vesperia, and trying harder than the cartoony villains of Graces.
I've been playing Tales of Berseria, and it seems to be the anti Tales of Graces. In which I'm caring about the story and characters, but the gameplay is a drag. This is the first time I've been autoplaying an JRPG. But unlike Gravity Rush 2, I'm not dropping it because I'm liking the interactions of these characters even if it gets, campy, overdramatic, or edgy.
I mean I watch anime and films subtitled but sometimes my reading speed can be slow if theres a lot of dialogue.
Eh, I do that sometimes, mostly to check for message updates or on occasion to read reviews of what I am watching or to download more/check downloads.
For instance, I watched Okja yesterday and I had to take 15', 20' minute break in between for snack, surfing webs and playing mobile games...
I watched Fanny and Alexander... don't really remember which version I watched thou. I think it's a TV version since it divides into 4 separate parts
@Kaiser: it just that... my attention span has shortened greatly and I just can't stay focus on movies over an hour mark. In cinema, it's alright since you can't move anywhere but now it's abig task to finish a 2 hour and a half movie for me
And is good enough to keep up the quality for that long.
I'll say this, for every medium, to me the length of something isn't so much the issue, if you have a writer good enough to keep something going for ages then the length shouldn't be an issue.
@Mario: If something goes over three hours I treat it as a miniseries and watch one hour or two a day.
@Mario: lol if you thought thats long, have you seen the extended versions of scenes from a marriage and fanny & alexander by Bergman? I can't wait to get my hands on the tv versions I hear they're completely different.
Okja is pretty entertaining with pointed social commentary. I don't really feel Tilda Swinton's double roles add up much but everything else is great. Bong has never disappointed me
@Kaiser: good luck with Satantango then. I guess now if I watch an 8-hour long film it would take me a whole week to finish it :/
Made in abyss and vatican keep staring at me. Although I'm not chancing them yet or anything else until I hear a bit more.
My once massive film backlog is nearly cleared. I can try watching stuff this season hopefully.
Same boat here. For the first time in a long time I spent almost half the day catching up on all of my manga.
@Mario: I'll have two weeks leave, I will finally watch Satantango, all eight hours of that film.
I did a double take when I saw this. One of these things is not like the other.... http://gematsu.com/2017/07/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-announced
Well, finally have a bit of precious free time to watch something else and I have too much things to watch. Castlevania, the final Kizumonogatari movie, live-action Okja and some books planned to read... I guess I'll go with Okja today
Ninja
Looking forward to that Dies review
Yaaay! Time to enjoy your blogging time
And now we are up to date. Just need to finally get that Dies Irae Review posted.
Then again I'll watch almost every horror film I can, don't even mind the awful acting most have.
Pet cemetary was a guilty pleasure of mine when I was a teenager.
I don't know how I'd feel if I rewatched salems lot, although a positive is that it did have James Mason in it and it was done in that 70s style of slow burn horror that I love.
The IT film has aged horribly and thats one case where I would advocate a remake.
Stand by me was a perftly watchable coming of age film and it surprised me, seeing a non-horror King story.
Okay theres one way to settle this =P Lovecraft > all of them ;) I have actually enjoyed some King adaptations even though I know the Shining took liberties , I also enjoyed Carrie and Apt Pupil.
@Kaiser, please. Early King > Richard Matheson > Modern King. Kings early works were good.
@Aidan, its true that Monty was the mind behind the fights. Sad, but I think the other directors are starting to come into their own instead of trying to copy Monty.
But we all know Richard Matheson > King.
He did some collabs with Stephen King I believe.
Like the dead films he's trying to be thematic, although this one is clumsily put together, I kind of like how it hybridizes the 50s with 70s style exploitation, it has its moments.
hmmm the only non Dead trilogy film I've seen by Romero is the Crazies, feels like he's still finding his voice with it.
@Lenlo, Part of the reason is that they started using better animation software. But despite that there was a downgrade in fight chorgraphy when Monty died. Though the story I find is getting better.
@Kinseryu, I think it's ridiculous to everyone but there are those that choose to ignore it.
@Anon, That's a bit harsh. It is true that his later works never truly panned out but he did pretty much popularise the zombie apoc. Even if Day of the Triffids did it before him.
Every season RWBY gets just a little bit prettier. Rooster Teeth really does have some of the better 3D animation skills out there.
goerge romero was a hack trying desperate to stay relevant.
Kinseryu
Tenshi3P... I thought it was just me that this show was just ridiculous by putting three ten years old girl that knows how to play electrical instruments. They are insulting the people who plays these. But good thing I found this site with your first impression. I laughed and I feel better. Lol.
@Kaiser: he passed away? damn. He was the Father of Zombie genre. So like him or hate him, he was influential to say the least. RIP.
Kaiser_Eoghan
...holy shit George A Romero died? Now I have to watch the rest of his films.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Rei Hiroe is really dicking around with black lagoon lately, he's still releasing wasted chapters, just like re:creators, the most recent chapter of black lagoon was a slog.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Maybe the conversation and lives of others could sort of count as espionage stories to an extent.
Kaiser_Eoghan
If you're interested in spy fiction, Spy who came in from the cold, most wanted man, Smiley's people, deadly affair and tinker tailor soldier spy are your best bet.
@Travlos (regarding yoir earlier comment): yeah, it hit me as well that most of regular readers have been here even longer than myself. So thanks for sticking around mates
@Travlos: playing catch up with both Re:Creators and Virgin Soul yesterday. Agreed that last week's Re:Creators was weak because it focused on the Creators (they're not good) but last episode was on par again. Virgin Soul, I loved that episode that the girls go bacl to Nina's hometown
@anon1272074: I still haven't had the time to watch Pripri yet (probably in few more hours), but you bet I'm looking forward to it
Anonymous1272074
Then again, James Bond does count as a spy. I meant not a realistic one.
Anonymous1272074
Princess Principal 2 was pretty good. Still more James Bond via little girls than spies, but this episode was more about intrigue and stuff than action.
Started catching up with Kakegurui. The OP is the sort of mind games I remember from Mob Psycho. Dunno what that means for the show, but I like it.
Quite happy with this week's RE:Creators. Blitz is cool, Aliceteria looked so scary. It washed out the taste of last week's episode.

Bahamut is going interesting places.
BTW. Speaking of spies from Princess Principal. I watch TURN. That is a good spy show.
I mean you see the use of those heavy revolvers as clubs in westerns. Mythbusters did a experiment, and being hit by one could kill you just fine. But in anime, I do not remember seeing it often
Homura used Gun-kata in the fight against Mami in Rebellion. Can't think of anyone who exclusively uses it though. After all Gun-Kata is more or less a flashy art that has no real benefit.
amazing!
Is Gun Kata the fighting style of Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue? I suppose I'm mainly thinking about how guns are handled in fighting games. Where the shots are mainly concussive. I suppose those are mainly energy blasts.
Ranbu took a step in the right direction I feel. Used the morals of whether or not to change history and it focused in on one of its characters.
Final Fantasy has had some gun swords. Cant think of any with guns in melee though. There are some with gun-kata like cowboy bebop though
Just for curiosity, have anyone watched an anime, movie or game that uses a gun as a melee weapon. Or one in which the gun is mainly concussive but still has impact?
Spike
18if ep2 was a bit wacky... main character seems to be off his rocker.
Alright. Time to finally play catch up with those series I need to blog.
But at the same time acknowledging love for creativity is more important in the end than making a profit.
I think I was using death of artist/deceased artist as a term to suggest peoples careers in the area are too often killed before they get a chance.
Moreso also to save the guy the embarrassment of misinterpreting it so awkwardly.
@Puran: Nothing too extreme , moreso that the piece itself feels inappropriate/tainted to have up/leave around/submit. Ended up taking it down out of taste.
Puran
Did that change how you feel about your writing? I had a somewhat similar experience, where something I was writing was similar to a real situation some I knew was going through. After I found out I stopped writing it. Not sure why.
I wasn't all that close to either of them much but yeah, weird coincidence.
He thought I already knew the guy was dead.
*earlier
Its all okay now...but fuck that was was awkward.
....Oh jesus christ...oh christ this is a creepy creepy coincidence...I showed an acquaintance a bit of writing I did early, it mentions death of an artist, thing is I was writing something based on a conversation with my editor friend, turns out said acquaintance's artist friend died (who he knows that I've spoken to in the past) and he thought the piece I showed him was about the dead guy.
I believe I began visiting this site in 2008.
As for humanity has declined, I found it bizzare and darkly funny for a while but felt it ran dry in its second half and I kind of fell out of following it.
You know it hit me. I think I have been following this blog for a decade now, perhaps more. Cool that it is still around.
I do agree it had alot more western influence than eastern though
Eh nothing wrong with that I think. Astro boy was very much the same after all
@Lenlo, I personally saw it as more of a Saturday morning cartoon than an anime.
@Masky, Heroman was a decent giant robot show. It looked and sounded good, though the acting was off in places. Alot of people panned it thinking it was the West invading the east when really it was trying to bridge that gap
SuperWooper
@Kaiser: Hey, Humanity Has Declined was great.
need not be

not

need to be
Masky it was not an issue of writing about politics. It is an issue of writing just about your preferred politics. A good political work need to be politicized if you understand what I mean.
...what the hell tsuki ga kirei was directed by Seiji Kishi? He was actually capable of making a good anime?
Anyhoo, lol. Haven't mentioned Jitsu wa watashi wa in long time, but I really find it hilarious that its only actually evil character's competence is just "they aren't a idiot" xD As in, they don't even seem that diabolically intelligent, they just don't get wrapped into hijinxs.
@KTravlos: Well, depends on your views. Some people think artists should have their work speak about politics and world instead of just good stories. I'm kinda neutral about that since while stories about nature of world can be great, most of them don't really teach anyone anything new or change anyone
Huh, another anime work with Stan Lee being involved? I wonder how well Heroman did
Yup. A mangaka that could had been another Urasaw imho is Kawaguchi Kaiji. I really like his art, and it evokes some of the elements that I love in Urasawa. He also has interesting stories. But I fear he has let his political and ideological prejudices get the better of him. Which is a pity. Definitely a missed chance.
Did Urasawa do that billy bat manga?
As for Urasawa, I mentioned here before but I read 20th Century Boys few months ago and the manga was a straight out masterpiece. Fillers, yes but they are still in service for the main plot. Although out of his work my favorite's still Monster
Alright. Only one more. Though the two superhero shows won't air for another week. Seeing as one is reflectiona nd the other is that marvel kids show maybe we shouldn't bother covering them in the impressions.
@Amagi: agree with you on the Friday's anime (well, for me it's technically Saturday) but Kakegurui, Fate and Princess Principal are worth following as well
@Kaiser: if you're still deciding if you should check out the manga or novel then I say novel since it's the novel that was influential, not the manga
So based on that fantasy itch I had thought about Altair, but hesitated because it was labeled as a shounen action show.
There was a time where I was hugely into the shoujo fantasy/historical thing. I've actually been thinking of out of curiousity looking into some old obscure ovas such as Books of Y and Crystania.
Man as much as I love the Friday's anime this time, and whenever Altair airs, but the rest of the working-week is weak as hell. At least now I will finally have more time for games, VNs and creative stuff I guess.
It was kind of nice to hear an announcer coming in before Genocidal organ started, mentioning that for a few months their cinema will be playing anime and Japanese films.
Surprised to see an anime reference Kafka and Katyn.
I have not yet checked out empire of corpses.
Now, I'll have to consider the manga or the novel as I heard some of the philosophical stuff got chopped. This was however a more successful and accessible film for me than Harmony.
Manglobe was always a bit mediocre when it came to animation and voice actor direction, but this wasn’t a bad film for them to go out on.
It lives up to its name, it gets quite visceral with the action that’s there, if you don’t like seeing child soldiers getting slaughtered there’s your warning, but I appreciated getting this kind of violence I want to see more of again in anime/manga.
I just got back from my local arthouse cinema, from watching a special screening of that anime film, Genocidal organ, this is the sort of thing where you do wish that it had more time to explore its thematics but they at least offer a good enough flavouring to a solid man on a mission scifi thriller.
Just to state I don't hate Urasawa's work, rather I find it sort of difficult , I could say the same about Asano Inio regarding oyasumi punpun.
Urasawa is supposed to be working on Master Keaton Remastered. But it seems to be on hiatus. A pity because I loved Master Keaton (I adore Monster)-in general I love this person's work.
20thCB would be my favorite Urasawa I think but I can't imagine it as an adaption. Kinda want to know what Urasawa will do next. He already announced that he's working on a new series months ago.
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. I wanted this one the most, there is a serious lack of good sci-fi anime out there.
...billy bat is....scattered and directionaless fro what I read but shows interesting historical scenarios.
Pluto was reasonably short, so this wasn't much of a problem.

Shoukoku no Altair – 03 [The Council of Generals]

With this episode, Altair’s first arc comes to a close. Mahmut Pasha, teenage prodigy and commander of eagles, is now simply Tughril Mahmut, a disgraced former general set to leave Turkiye on a journey of discovery. Though its main character didn’t fare so well this week, I thought the show wrapped everything up nicely in […]

Classroom of the Elite – 02 [It Takes a Great Deal and Skill to Conceal One’s Talent and Skill.]

Something about Youkoso, after the end of both first two episodes, that left me there hanging. Something that I feel “off”, but I can’t quite put my fingers on. I guess a big part of it was caused by the pacing, which it takes way too long to get into the intrigued part. I mean, […]

Re:Creators – 15 [Waves Approach the End of Wandering]

This week’s episode didn’t have any action once again but there is a lot more movement on the main plot as each faction solidify their alliances and plan out their new moves. As speculated last week, the latest creation has a snowball’s chance in hell in be competitive against every other creation as her only […]

Princess Principal – 02 [Case 1 Dancy Conspiracy]

Man, plot twists. Through many twists and turns within the episode, we have a big switcheroo Sixth Sense-size at the end that completely change the context of what come before. I mean, Princess Principal walks on a really thin wire here. On the one hand, deceive and betrayal are the backbone of spies, guessing the […]

Made in Abyss – 2[Resurrection Festival]

Made in abyss continues strong as the animation remains beautiful, the music perfect and the story progressing with revelations at a good rate. I particularly lie that they provided necessary details about the different ranks of miners based on whistle colour  through a puppet show. It’s a good way of providing the audience information without […]

Kakegurui- 2/3[A Boring Woman/Slit-Eyed Woman]

Two episodes of high stakes gambles and I do feel that I am going to run out of things to say about this one fast. I suppose I will start with the elephant in the room and address what could be Kakegurui’s most detrimental feature. The fact that it’s set in a school setting and […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 2/3[The Appearance of the Saints/First Step of Fate]

So where do I begin? I am brain dead at the moment so forgive me if this gets a bit too much like rambling but I have to catch up with all this so here’s my best shot at being somewhat competent. WIth these two episodes we have the setup of this grail war established […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 3 [Master’s Orders]

The farther into the season we go, the clearer it becomes that Ranbu is a video-game adaptation, as this week Ranbu takes two steps forward and one step back. We start this week off immediately where we left off, with the Dutch steamship mid explosion, and wow was it a beautiful explosion. If nothing else […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 02 [Kiyoharu Hyodo]

After a strong start to its two cour season, Ballroom e Youkoso has managed to waltz its way past all potential stumbling blocks and deliver an even better second episode. There was a lot to love here, including a carefully introduced rival and love triangle, great voicework from Shinba Tsuchiya, and some promising animation during […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100