Posted by psgels on 28 February 2011 with categories: Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?

oh boy, this was a disaster. It was an episode that was doomed to fail, simply because of the decision of the creators to include the new girl into the cast of major characters. I mean… what exactly do they hope to get out of someone with such a terrible backstory? This episode could at least have been enjoyable if it wasn’t for her utterly contrived reason to fall in love with the lead character. I mean, is she supposed to be another parody or something?

This pretty much was an episode that contained nothig but character building, oly to come with some drama at the final minute. So, after having to sit through some completely generic dating scenes, what do we get? The lead female gets kidnapped. Ooh, we’re original now. Seriously, what happened? The drama in this show used to be so good. Cliches like these could be excused in the introduction of a series, to get the plot started. Not when you’re nearly done!

The only enjoyment in this episode was in the small details, like surprisingly smooth animation, the hilariously named “Mask Donalds”, good poses and facil expressions and the surprisingly good food jokes ehre, even though cooking girls usually are beating the same dead horse over and over again. Like I said: it could have been an interesting episode, but when the creators have such a terrible premise for an episode, what can really be done with it?
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. Solaris says:

>The drama in this show used to be so good.
    WHERE?!? It’s all about overclichees fanservice based jokes and sometimes some actually nice parody like last ep santas’ … where did you find drama? In the smoke maybe?

2. psgels psgels says:

Well, Hellscythe’s background, for example.

3. hoiut says:

I agree completely with this, every word! I did think it was cute that Ayumu is reluctant about being dragged into marriage when the very beginning of the episode proves how unwilling he is to settle on any one female.

Side note: many words in the review got misspelled somehow — looks like a case of missing letters for the most part, strangely enough. Maybe enabling “Check spelling” in Firefox when you type these up would address the increasing rate of typos? I dunno, I’m sorry. I know you’re short on time and it’s easy enough to read anyway, so I can shut up now.

@Solaris: THE DRAMA, man. Yes, it’s in the smoke. It’s mostly in the relationship between Yuu and Kusomushi (or really anytime Yuu plays a central role in the series).

4. Frost says:

Huh… Yeah

WTF is going on, Zombie was awesome until 2 episodes ago, and now this new character got introduced and is singlehandedly ruining the show

Good fucking job whoever thought it was a good idea… I couldnt even sit through this episode, I just dropped it 5 minutes in and deleted it, thats how bad it was

5. Solaris says:

Did you really find those puny 5 minutes back in episode 4 worth of being called dramatic? Shouldn’t we call it cheap cheese maybe?
    Cause that’s all i could stretch and call dramatic in whole 2/3 of the serie. Is there more i’d fail to notice?

6. Alec says:

The last 2 episodes are mediocre. the next episode will probably get things back on the right track.

Everything kinda went crazy after Yuki came.

7. Solaris says:

I’d add Korezombi showed all of those clichees you fiercely hated in other shows, but then, tell me why is it ok here but are those such a letdown in Star Driver or Yumekui merry as example? What if they put a beach episode here too? Should you go and say it’s carbage for the sake of coherence or rather would you just excuse it the same way you did when they showed haruna’s fanservice before?

8. Hogart says:

I agree with Solaris, the drama in this show was never really all that good. The premise behind Hellscythe and her drama could actually have been very successful, but I found the delivery weak and unconvincing. But then, everything about this anime is pretty weak except some of the premises and arguably the male lead.

The show’s just meandering it’s way into oblivion now, instead of using what little character development it managed to build up. Like you say, psgels, this simply isn’t the time for them to be screwing around.. especially since they such so much at screwing around.

9. Spike says:

I think some of you are looking for this show to be something it’s not. Its a fanservice comedy, that’s it. Drama and plot are just ways to introduce the cliches and tropes that the crowd it’s aiming at loves. And if you read 2ch- they really do love it. Just enjoy the show for what it is and stop lookng for something deeper.

10. hoiut says:

It’s not about depth, it’s about even meeting its own expectations. We know this show is capable of more, and at this point what it has managed to pull off should come together, not languish in tepid uninspired frivolity.

Wait, did I just say frivolity? As in frivolousness? In KZD? Yes, but it has to be said. This show made a name for itself in its UNCONVENTIONAL and WITTY use of frivolity. Now it’s fallen into the cliched, trope-laden wasteland of mediocrity, destroyed by the very premise it made out to subvert.

11. Solaris says:

WOW! Are #3 and #10 even the same person? Cause that’d be some amazing change of opinion after 2 more people popped your ‘drama’ delusion.
    This show proved to be anything unconventional and witty, except that very good first episodes that fired our expectations too high. The real problem with this show is that id does try too much to be what it shouldn’t be. It’s a fanservice party and it shouldn’t try to add drama where it’s not really needed, cause the result is just cheese.

12. Kyubey says:

I really liked the last two episodes. Needs more Kyoko though.

13. ItsYou says:

@Solaris: I beg to differ there. IMO, Korezom is much better when it balanced out Drama and ridiculousness perfectly. Eps 1-3 played ridiculousness out well, and eps 4-6 played the Drama portion well.
    That was what made the show great in the first place.

The problem with the past 2 episodes is that it was too ridiculous, I mean honestly, how many of you was expected that weird-ass device at the end of ep 6 to be used to power Megalos or create them?

Instead, they changed it to a Megalo-killing ramen maker, see how overly ridiculous and almost wasted that seemed?

Personally, the only good things about the past 2 eps were:

– The Horse and Jellyfish Megalo
    – The girl that gave Ayumu the glasses.
    – The demon santa thing
    – The Mask Donald ‘Shut Up’ Dude

Still, it seems that KoreZom is starting to enter Drama mode again from the ending. And I pray to god the final boss-fight would be as epic as the Kyoko fight in eps 5 and 6

Also, agreed that it needs more Kyoko.

14. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: I liked parts of the drama. Not just hellscythe’s past, but also some of those smaller scenes and expositions. Why am I suddenly delusional for having a different taste than yours?

Also, I don’t fault this series at all for trying to be more than a fanservice series. It’s the reason why I started blogging this thing in the first place. Obviously your mileage may vary with this.

15. Alec says:

Fanservices/Cliches does not define whether the anime is good or bad.

Those 2 things are usually unavoidable to begin with

16. Solaris says:

Apart that the delusion thing was directed at Houit, my problem with you is, PSgels, is not about tastes.
    My own problem with everyone is i’m quite harsh explaining my point of view, so i beg pardon for that, but it’s my trademark. Just live with that please.
    My problem with you, psgels is rather something regarding comment #7. Why the differences in evaluating similar aspects in different shows? Why so many mistakes in your reviews? Why overlooking so many details in your judgenment? Tastes are important, but what about objectivity? You anwered questions i made you before with the lamest reason ever: “because I like it, so what’s the problem?”. The problem, you say? That’s the problem, dammit! You had the habit to evaluate shows entirely and based your judgement on reason but NEVER tastes alone! I am missing that from you. Your advanced reasoning.

17. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: ah, now that’s an interesting comment.

I’m not sure whether I fully get what you mean, but interestingly, I started putting much more focus on what I liked in individual episodes because people were telling me that I kept talking too much about the big picture and too little about what actually went on in the episodes. Seems like I hit the other end of that extreme now.

Also, regarding overlooking so many details: I never claim to be complete. Focusing on every single detail would just take too much time. If I don’t mention it, it just means that I don’t have much to say about it without having to repeat myself too much.

18. Alec says:

indeed it is interesting. Even I can somehow agree.

19. ZoboCamel says:

I’ve gotta say here that I prefer subjectivity and focus on individual things in an anime blog. Trying to judge entertainment objectively seems a little silly to me; one series could be masterfully made and yet not be entertaining to anyone, while another might have production issues but be far more fun to watch. Honestly, I’d say the second show is the better one – after all, it’s entertainment, and there’s really no way to judge the quality of a show apart from a collection of subjective opinions. If people are saying ‘because I like it’ about a show, then, well, there’s obviously something about that show to make them like it.

20. Solaris says:

ZoboCamel’s opinion is honest, but beware that the ‘i like it’ way is mostly superficial to begin with.
    Star Crossed was ever great because of Psgels’ attitude to pierce through what’s objectionable and subjective and go straight to the point adding a whole layer of deep analysis. And that was unseen everywhere else in the Internet. Would he subtract from that and Star Crossed will slowly change into one of many other generic blogs out there: Worthless.
    I can see the starting point. Once upon a time Psgels had no problem to find material to blog. He’d find rare gems and pick them readily for everybody to enjoy as if he had a kind of third eye to spot quality in the raw. Stuff that generic people didn’t even care to consider, so far from generic standards, and even ugly to look at first sight, but that somehow had something worthwhile. Psgels saw them at instant and blogged it.
    What’s with all of that uneasiness now? At last two season start it was embarrassing to see all of that pick-up and drop-down wheel play. Stuff like Mitsudomoe and Korezombi, to name the latests, would have never win the right to be blogged before, even if he’d actually love them to death. Because it’s canon there is a big difference between raw taste and actual quality. Recognizing that wasn’t an issue before, but rather that third eye is closed now. Sleeping, maybe? I want to wake it up now!

21. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: I think I know what you mean and I agree with it mostly, and I’m going to try to put some more depth into my posts again. A few comments, though:

– I don’t agree that I used to be objective. Every time I analyzed a show, it was all based on what I find important in a series. For other people, that can be completely different.
    – As for the reason why I’m no longer picking out the underrated gems: this season doesn’t really have many of those. Only Level E perhaps fits that bill.

22. Solaris says:

Dammit Psgels: That excessive humble side of yours sometimes irks me :/
    >I never claim to be complete
    >I don’t agree that I used to be objective.
    You say that, but how is it you were always able to spot on the important features, keypoints and fine details in the shows with no effort?
    Let’s call it talent, or rather that’s the natural expression of your rational side.
    It’d be nice to know why you decided to change your method so heavily at last. Were you unsatisfied with it?
    PS: This is a very big OT I made. I wonder if it would be possible to move this to the forum instead, and go on there?

23. skchai says:

This was an episode aimed solely at otaku who enjoy intricate deconstruction of moe anime tropes. Taking it from that point of view, it was technically proficient and creative in the way it went through even some of the more obscure tropes and tried to recombine them in the most unlikely ways possible. It was a “pure” episode devoted to the main theme of the series.

It isn’t even parodying gap moe directly, but rather the complex efforts that creators make to generate gap moe, and the often strange results. The shojo-style school wife x magical girlfriend x kyuuketsu ninja superpower x harem exercise all show a deep familiarity with the tropes (including sly references to a number of previous shows).

Of course, it does has no relationship to what little plot the show has, and the characters themselves are just empty vessels for this exercise, something Ayumu in typical fashion complains about directly.

And it is not particularly funny unless you are so pre-tuned to previous series using gap moe that the juxtaposition hits intuitively, without consciously having to think about what you just saw. I am not at that “level” compared to a some 2ch vippers who were entranced, but can at least see why they were. But primarily it comes across as very technical at best. . .

In a sense, this was a pretty brave move on the creator’s part, since they know they could be alienating all but this hard-core. I doubt they will try anywhere near this extreme it for future episodes. However, a mandatory “trope-mincing” episode would be an improvement over staple character role change/sad back story or misunderstood love confession episodes (except when the plot actually needs it), much less beach episodes.

Of course, the main characters are just empty vehicles for this exercise, something they

24. hoiut says:

Yeah, same person. Change in opinion? …Not so much. The reason I commented twice is because each addressed a fundamentally different aspect of the anime — the cuteness of Ayumu’s “wife” situation and a tongue-in-cheek reference to whatever “drama” I happened to observe. I wasn’t commending it or anything, and a bit of cuteness certainly cannot pretend to save the series from its [apparent] downward spiral.

Heheh, as for psgel’s reviews, I think they hit the mark. He seems to use a global “big-picture” standpoint when called for and and episode-specific one when relevant. His reviews don’t seem to exhibit the inconsistencies or double standards of which you repeatedly and passionately speak.

Damn it. Didn't get Scathach. I knew my chances were low but...still feels bad.
Finally back after several days that I didn't feel like blogging at all. Hope that was just a small slump of burnout and nothing too serious
@Kaiser: agree with you on On Body and Soul, the otherworldly dream sequences are the best part, the romance is so-so and the investigation is fairly weak that I still don't know its importance to the story
@Lenlo: It was you that got me to watch it actually, your posts.
@Kaiser I am glad you think so on Inuyashiki. Ive loved every episode of it so far
But Dies Irae is the best comedy of the season.....
Unless he means Kino? In that case I've never read the novels.
Juuni taisen is also better watched as it expands on its source material.
If you mean girls last tour then thats better off watched too as its more immersive that way.
Inuyashiki is a definite watch as the pacing is much better than the manga, houseki elevates its source visually so theres that.
@Anon: It really depends on the series. If you mean a current anime, then watch. Because the current season is full of good manga adaptions (if you mean Dies Irea, then read)
I am not even one of those who condemn fanservice in anime like Illya for example, but this.. welp. Guess I rather watch the new MahouTsukai episode now.
@Kaiser: Why do they want to do that? I don't think this is a good idea. Man the whole world seems to go back instead of going forward the last yers
Seems like it was actually 5 child prostitutes that's even worse. Maybe not even that but just school girls I can't into kanji and I only see the *chan thread right now.
@Amagi: Apparently in France they want to lower the age of consent now. They are also still protecting Polanski.
Kaiser-Eoghan: Just saw it too, just wanted to see if the Kenshin mangaka thread was still there and now this too.
Watch or read? Which do you recommend more?
@Amagi: I see Toriko's author was caught with teenage prostitutes.
And now I'm thinking, some of my enjoyment of the original Kino was partly due to watching it dubbed.
@Amagi: Its is true that I would prefer kino to go deeper than it is allowed to.
@Amagi: mild Asperger syndrome , in my case its a touch discomfort thing.
Also, damn - I just a saw a thread regarding the Kenshin thing
@Kaiser-Eoghan: Agree with Kino, there are a few things I prefer in the older version too. Although I have to admit that many plot points I would have viewed as deep 10 years ago feel very simplistic and naive by now, like how simple minded the people are, especially if plot dictates them to be. Welp. Also, there is another autist here?
@Anon: Maybe not, but you'd probably do well to watch the show.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: Is Weed really for kid though? -.- Also, the pups are cuter in this one.
@Niello: Bitches don't know about my Ginga densetsu weed =P
Niello
This is very much a kid version of Wolf's Rain.
Niello
I finally found this thing. Been looking for it for years. The problem now is even if I know the name it's going to be hard to find a way to watch this thing again... https://myanimelist.net/anime/3355/Fortune_Dogs
The Kenshin author was caught with images of child sex abuse. Things have turned into a fallout since the Weinstein case.
I like to keep deadlines. Adds some consistency to things. Appreciate it though
@Lenlo: No need to apologize lol. I don't think anyone expects you to drop everything in order to blog. XD Just do what you can and keep up the great work. d=(^_^)=b
Sorry for the slow turnaround on Mahoutsukai this week. Moving into a new apartment and work is abit busy. Should be up tomorrow though.
@Mario: I dug the premise and though there could have been more dream sequences its prettily shot, especially within those sequences, I was surprised by the suicide attempt and didn’t see it coming and it succeeded in being uncomfortable.
Although I did find the film sometimes a bit sterile and overlylong
@@Mario: I'm torn on Body and soul, speaking as someone who has autism, I genuinely felt that the depiction of the female protagonist was solid and was backed by good acting, as autism is generally overly associated with male characters, seeing it through a female focus was a bonus.
Its an odd season, with shows I had no expectations of being favourites and one I looked forward to being a disappointment.
I know we mentioned before on here but I honestly did wish that one episode, the 6th one WAS an additional backstory, it would have elevated the episode for me.
The original had a grittier artstyle that clashed less with the setting.
I do think some of these episodic shows could benefit from two parters, this kino season especially.
But its not a good sign when I forgot some episodes content of this new adaptation less than a week after their airing.
And I don't say it lightly about the original having a strong degree of consistent quality, even the best episodic series often can't avoid being uneven but again I never felt the original ever fell into that trap .
Its the consistency I miss in this version, I enjoyed all the episodes in the original, this being more of a mixed bag sticks out like a sore thumb.
Want to specify I did love the Murder country episode and the Liar country episode, the ship country episode was an episode of two halves, the latest episode was too slight .
Honestly I think I'll play it safe with the new Kino and just wait till it ends and pick the most recommended stories.
The ED of Silver Spoon Season 1 is also amazing.
SuperWooper
"Fighter" by Bump of Chicken is the best I've heard in the last few years (3-gatsu ED 1)
SuperWooper
"Ride on Shooting Star" by The Pillows is my favorite (FLCL)
Nie
Also Akatsuki no Yona ending https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nepa6vDr-gM
Nie
Seriously though, Freedom Opening is too underappreciated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIy0zMukn4
Nie
if not just song then: Eden of the East, ERASED, both SSY EDs, FMA ED2, Welcome to NHK, Kekkai Sensen, Conan 40
Honestly I skip the op/ed themes for everything, there are some I haven't even heard.
@anon1579752: personally don't care much about EDs, since I hit the close button as soon as the episode's over. But this one is easy, Flowers of Evil ED
321...best anime EDs of all time...GO
Nielo
Oops nvm IGNORE MY COMMENT
Nielo
@KTravlos: Which part of Chielo? How many heads?
Finally a great Altair episode. For once the pacing was a boon rather than a bane, and I loved the idea of Chielo.
Nielo
I have the Vagabond volumes...still haven't touch it. I just don't feel like starting another manga I'll have to wait forever.
Vagabonds only issue, to me, is the lack of release. I love it, its beautiful, and my god I have waited years for it to update. Its like Berserk all overagain
If I could changed something about kujira no kora, it would be toning down that overthetop shounen-kid villain henchman.
I feel as if I would read more of vagabond if the author ever finished it, the art however is beautiful.
A thing I really like about there stuff is that since they are set post-One Year War, most characters are veterans and they actually behave like veterans. Thus battles are more than just curbstomps etc. I really suggest their gundam stuff. Manga wise start with the Plot to Assassinate Gihren.
I have to say the ARK Performance gundam-verse is one of the favorite uses of the gundam concept . They really do a good job tying their stories together and with the original series.
If were talking manga as well, since I dont realy VNs/LNs, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Berserk and Basara are all way up there for me
I can probably disect pages on end of Kyousougiga. As for Sun Knight, it's translated from Taiwanese, so the chance of it getting an anime is a big fat zero. Not to mention that it is probably one of the hardest thing to translate into video format, movies or series, animated or not.
@SuperMario Animation vs. Animator?
Kyousougiga was a creative and passionate anime. You can clearly see the love of the creators put into it. But of the year 2013 nothing can beat The Eccentric Family and Flowers of Evil for me
@Niello: I'm willing to give Sun Knight and Dorohedoro (or I should wait for the anime adaptation in few years?) a try but not anytime soon. My next of queue is Night is Short and re-watch of Now and Then. Sorry if I sound like a broken records but lately I haven't had that much time for myself.
..."Mario, what the heck is this??". so we stopped. My friends weren't trying to be rude so I didn't feel any offense, but the thought of watching a stick figure never cross their mind, hence the reaction. Anime fares much better in that regards since people still willing to watch it
(about people's hesitance towards animation medium): Tell me about it. Few years ago I had a Saturday movie night with my mates, one time I convinced them to watch a short animated film "Come one, it's one of the best thing I've seen this year" "It's only 15 minutes so you guys can watch them easily". So they agreed but as soon as the stick figure comes onscreen. My friend turned off...
Lol just found out that there's a Sense8 (on Netflix) easter egg in "Just Because" ep 3 xD, made my day!!!!
Forgot to say this, but anyone willing to give the Sun Knight novel a try, in some ways, it is quite similar to Houseki no Kuni. While it is mainly comedy....it also has a lot of suffering.
silver
@Niello/Anaon1578774?: I watched Kyousougiga maybe 6mos. ago, so I think I'll enjoy it more when I rewatch it sometime in a year or so. Seems most of my top picks cemented their place after a second viewing
@Silver It speaks to me on a personal level no other fiction has comes close to matchin. so it has a very special place in my heart. It's also one of those that get better with each rewatch. I seem to have a penchant for liking what often get described by others as convoluted, this is one of them. I also adore Matsumoto's directing and all the symbolisms.
silver
@Kaiser: I neglected film in my youth as well.. and also in adulthood. A popular gag amongst my friends is that, "silver's never seen any movie ever." I hadn't seen star wars until a girl I dated in uni forced me to watch 4-6...
silver
Hah when I posted about liking works adapted from every medium I wondered if it was going to spark a 'top 10' discussion, but when I was trying to mentally rank them I remembered how hard it was...
@Niello: interesting that Kyousougiga is your all-time #1. I thought it was lovely but probably doesn't make the cut for me
Novels are somewhat alien territory to me as I tend to watch adaptations be they film or otherwise.
@Niello: I've watched thousands in the past few years because I neglected the medium in childhood.
Nielllo
Unless you mean animated only.
Nielllo
@Eoghan: I don't think I watched enough films at all, and that's made even worst when I forget most of them after a couple of years.
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I really recommend The Legend of the Sun Knight novel. Think it's something you'll probably enjoy quite a bit. It's quite cleverly written. You can read the official fan translation online.
@Mario: A top ten film list for me is even harder, I can't even attempt.
Akumetsu> death note
FITE ME.
Gunslinger girl gets such a strong mention from me because I feel that action stories often work better when you care about the characters.
<No Freesia adaptation
<No Eden adaptation
<No full production IG Alita film series
<why live =<
Nielllo
@SuperMario: There are some anime I'm not going to watch just because the manga is superior, period. Good examples are Monster and One Piece.
Nielllo
@Eoghan: Oh, I knew about Wolfram mangaka's apprenticeship already :p
@Mario: First however, When mountains may depart, By Jia Zhangke, I am full romance mood.
Planetes and Vinland saga have to go somewhere on a list. Oddly they share the same creator.
@Mario: Reminds me Dreams by Kim-ki-duk.
@Niello: I mentioned Dorohedoro's author was Nihei's apprentice, but heres another interesting one, the mangaka for Wolfram apprentice under BOTH Kento Miura and Kaoru Mori.
@Kaiser: gladly. On Body and Soul is a weird mix of romance drama, character study and a weirdly magical bond between two people who share the same dream. That weirdness is what make the movie so memorable, although I do feel the ending stays out its welcome
Nihei, Umezu and Itou belong somewhere among my favourite mangaka.
I don't know why you'd mix manga/anime together, but my own top 10 is in my profile (click over my username), I've included anime/ movies together but if the list is purely anime shows I'd add Haibane Reimen as #9 and Humanity Has Declined as #10
Nielllo
Apart from Kyousougiga which is always no.1, and The Legend of the Sun Knight, Dorohedoro, Shinsekai Yori and Monster whose places are swappable, the rest I'm quite flexible with. Saint Seiya is in if it's a favorite list, and out among the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality list, with the exception of The Lost Canvas.
Nielllo
Hmmm, atm it's 1. Kyousougiga (a) 2. Monster (m) 3. Dorohedoro (m) 4. Shinsekai Yori (n) 5. Baccano! (a) 6. Ran to Haiiro no Sekai (m) 7. Saint Seiya (my guilty pleasure, I can't defend it in anyway) 8. Franken Fran (m) 9. The Legend of the Sun Knight (n)(1st tier comedy) 10. Haibane Renmei/Toradora!.Honorable mentions to Gamaran, Beck, GTO, Mushishi, Kaiba and Grave of the Fireflies.
Damn....its a harder question to answer than it looks =<
Although Cruel God reigns in heaven would com close.
Nah, nothing would dethrone Gunslinger girl for me.
Or even Utena but I feel it somewhat overated as I do Bebop despite enjoying both.
One of those on the top ten could easily be switched for honey and clover.
I also love the works of Shimura Takkako, early takahashi and early Clamp.
Shiki would work its way onto a recent favourites list.
My favourite visual novels are Kara no shoujo, saya no uta and Sharin no kuni.
I've a soft spot for ah my goddess, basara, 7 seeds , nanoha and Red river.
If I was making more modern lists for recent favourites I'd probably add flipflappers somewhere or yuasas works.
Eh my top ten by mixing manga and anime into the same list? 1. Gunslinger (both) girl 2. Ghost in the shell (anime) 3. Earl cain saga (manga) 4. Angel Sanctuary (manga) 5. Texhnolyze (anime) 6. Lain (anime) 7. Perfect blue (anime) 8. Fruits basket (manga) 9. Monster 10. Kare kano.
Nielllo
I don't think anything will ever dethrone Kyousougiga for me though.
Nielllo
I still need to watch Tatami Galaxy and a bunch of other staple shows...
We could put out a site-author Top 10 list sometime maybe... Some of mine are Mushishi, Steins;Gate, Tatami Galaxy and Your Lie in April. Its got a spectrum of genre.
Nielllo
So what are people's top 10?
silver
Certainly on my top 10 list I have works adapted from VNs, manga, novels, LNs, and originals. I just think originals have a higher rate of efficient visual storytelling compared to adaptations
silver
@Kaiser: I like SEL and Haibane and texhnolyze is on my ever-growing list of things to watch. I also really like Gurren Lagen and Kill la Kill although they're both better if you've seen enough anime to know what they're parodying. My ex who loathed most anime because of the aforementioned over-exposition issue also introduced me to Dennou Coil which I really enjoyed.
@Mario: Body and soul just got released on a webdl , sell me on the film if you can =)
@Silver: Texhnolyze/Lain/Haibane are excellent examples.
silver
I think original anime offers a different experience than adaptations, particularly regarding 'show don't tell.' By necessity most anime source material is dialogue and exposition heavy and can't always utilize the medium efficiently. Of course, I've watched masterpieces adapted from every kind of source, so it's all good
Niello
I'd love to see this thing animated some day. Preferably with movie budget: http://thepropertyofhate.com/TPoH/Ex position/312
Niello
@Eoghan: Try searching in some Asian languages and you might have better luck.
silver
Most open-minded people I talk with don't have anything against animated entertainment. Shows like Bob's Burgers, Archer, and Bojack Horseman have carved a modern niche for 'adult' animation. Having a show about talking alcoholic horse would be pretty cheesy with live action.
Niello
Never mind, Mario said it. But I also don't agree that idol shows or incest shows are intrinsically bad. On top of idol being a trend in Japan first and anime pick it up because it's part of the culture.
The reason people see the worst side of things, is because that is what is made most on the surface and immediate,
Niello
@Amagi: Considering that all the ones you listed are originally manga, I think you should give manga more credit...
And by finding I mean, hard to buy or torrent .
The infuriating thing is how poorly distributed some things are. I hate seeing Godammn blurays of shit hollywood films everywhere and I have to struggle to find some old/quality eastern film.
I think it's the same problem as with endless shounen. Sometimes series get dragged on purpose to make more money.
The tons of seasons is what scares me away sometimes
I keep thinking, why pad a 90 minute-9 1/2 hour story in a billion one hour per episode seasons.
Yeah it's always like that, with cinema movies too.
I also hate ensemble/mosaic storytelling for the larger part, with some exceptions.
I know this excuse won't work with people who love serialized live-action tv dramas but...I don't like most tv shows because of how padded they are and that they go on far too long and the acting is tv standard and not film standard.
I dont want TV that much, but my experience has been there are very few shows worth watching. Just like anime.
Well, in the argument that anime has alot of bad trends to, I would say so does regular television. How many TVs per year are as good/acclaimed in the "best" anime of each season are in the community?
I think it's just sad that there are so many people (the big majority) that refuse to watch cartoons in general because they consider them as either childish or a worse version of "real" series. They'll always miss the good sides anime/manga have and therefore certain sub-genres as a whole.
@SuperMario: Yeah you're right. I should have specified it to Japanese drawn media in general (VNs too). And yeah most anime/manga are rather trashy or blatantly bad. But the good series are often something live acting can't create and we'd miss without Japan. There are good cartoons too, though
... original ones: Cowboy Bebop, EVA, Flip Flappers, Kaiba, etc
@amagi: I almost agree with everything you said, but we might give anime too much credits. Remember it's a medium that responsible for many, many bad trends: idol shows, incest shows, tentacle hentai shows and so on so forth. The shows you listed here are come from manga as well, and they are strong manga materials to begin with. If I choose an example of what anime can achieve I'd point to some..
This season is really good and it shows how lacking fiction would be without anime. Stuff like Shuumatsu, Houseki or even Mahoutsukai can only exist as anime. It's something live acting script writers would never come up with, not to mention that a lot would be lost without the respective drawing styles, be it the moe blobbs of Shuumatsu or the CGI hair, grass and camera movement of Houseki.
btw I really liked this Mahoutsukai no Yome episode. Finally we are getting somewhere
@Kaiser: You're right, totally forgot that. Looking forward to this. Also I could have sworn I heard about a new project from Iso (Dennou Coil) last year but I guess I either confused him with someone else or with Children of Ether in which he's involved in some kind of way.
@Amagi: That series was going to be devilman crybaby .
Wasn't Yuasa also doing a series of some sort this year? Haven't watched the movies yet but I loved most of his stuff so far, with Kaiba being my favorite.
Wow, Houseki did not disappoint for me this week.
I enjoyed it for what it was. But I'd say even if you didn't read the subs you probably wouldn't have much trouble following it.
I actually had a look and lu over the wall, coincidentally , there are moments of where Yuasa's imagination/visuals shine through and its a genuinely charming film at times, but it does almost outstay its welcome and there's a sense Yuasa was somewhat restrained this time round, it IS a kids movie and that kind of does need to be taken into account, its not AS mad as mind game or kemonozume.
Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta is subbed, but no idea if the subs are good
And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.

Juuni Taisen – 08 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 2)]

Can’t say I am fond of a huge flashback where they advance almost nothing to the plot, let alone an extended flashback-within-a-flashback. It hurts as well as the production takes quite a disastrous turn this week, with many off-model and inconsistent animation. Haizz, I’d love to be proven wrong but so far Juuni Taisen has […]

Houseki no Kuni – 07 [Hibernation]

Ho boy, I know Houseki’s world-building is unique but the idea of gems’ hibernation in winter due to the lack of sunlight? What a creative idea it is. This winter landscape makes a nice contrast to the lively green field of grass we’ve encountered in previous episodes. The new world that feels both empty, vast […]

Dies Irae – 06[Golden Beast]

So here we have it, the best we are going to get from this series. We may get standout moments in the later parts of the story but I think this episode is as good as it gets. The adaption still isn’t what I would call good, and oddly enough the best parts of this […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 7 [Talk of the Devil, and He is Sure to Appear]

Hello and welcome to another week of Mahoutsukai. This a good week for us, as Chise becomes more independent, Elias hulks out and information comes to light about the Sorcerers dark plot. Lets jump in. To start off, let’s talk about Chise. Compared to the first episode, she is like a different person now. She […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 07[Historic Country]

Let me start this post by saying that this is indeed a fun episode of Kino. Once again the mantle of protagonist is taken from the duo and instead it’s Kino’s Master who leads this episode. Though the story is told by Kino as she approaches the country that is in the story. It is […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 07 [Labyrinth – Cooking]

After one of the most plot-heavy episode last week, Girls’ Last Tour goes back to its minimalist root this time, with only the girls and two interior settings. This could be Girls’ Last Tour’s simplest episode, with the plot can be summed up as those girls go to the ration production facility, at first slightly […]

Inuyashiki – 6 [People of 2chan]

This week Inuyashiki fulfills last weeks predictions in a rather unexpected way. Strap in for some suicide, mass murder and the tail-spin of everyone’s favorite sociopath. Lets jump in! Rather than being a parallel between our two heroes like usual, this episode is focused almost entirely on Hiro. To me, this episode hits loosely on […]

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100