Posted by psgels on 28 February 2011 with categories: Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?

oh boy, this was a disaster. It was an episode that was doomed to fail, simply because of the decision of the creators to include the new girl into the cast of major characters. I mean… what exactly do they hope to get out of someone with such a terrible backstory? This episode could at least have been enjoyable if it wasn’t for her utterly contrived reason to fall in love with the lead character. I mean, is she supposed to be another parody or something?

This pretty much was an episode that contained nothig but character building, oly to come with some drama at the final minute. So, after having to sit through some completely generic dating scenes, what do we get? The lead female gets kidnapped. Ooh, we’re original now. Seriously, what happened? The drama in this show used to be so good. Cliches like these could be excused in the introduction of a series, to get the plot started. Not when you’re nearly done!

The only enjoyment in this episode was in the small details, like surprisingly smooth animation, the hilariously named “Mask Donalds”, good poses and facil expressions and the surprisingly good food jokes ehre, even though cooking girls usually are beating the same dead horse over and over again. Like I said: it could have been an interesting episode, but when the creators have such a terrible premise for an episode, what can really be done with it?
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. Solaris says:

>The drama in this show used to be so good.
    WHERE?!? It’s all about overclichees fanservice based jokes and sometimes some actually nice parody like last ep santas’ … where did you find drama? In the smoke maybe?

2. psgels psgels says:

Well, Hellscythe’s background, for example.

3. hoiut says:

I agree completely with this, every word! I did think it was cute that Ayumu is reluctant about being dragged into marriage when the very beginning of the episode proves how unwilling he is to settle on any one female.

Side note: many words in the review got misspelled somehow — looks like a case of missing letters for the most part, strangely enough. Maybe enabling “Check spelling” in Firefox when you type these up would address the increasing rate of typos? I dunno, I’m sorry. I know you’re short on time and it’s easy enough to read anyway, so I can shut up now.

@Solaris: THE DRAMA, man. Yes, it’s in the smoke. It’s mostly in the relationship between Yuu and Kusomushi (or really anytime Yuu plays a central role in the series).

4. Frost says:

Huh… Yeah

WTF is going on, Zombie was awesome until 2 episodes ago, and now this new character got introduced and is singlehandedly ruining the show

Good fucking job whoever thought it was a good idea… I couldnt even sit through this episode, I just dropped it 5 minutes in and deleted it, thats how bad it was

5. Solaris says:

Did you really find those puny 5 minutes back in episode 4 worth of being called dramatic? Shouldn’t we call it cheap cheese maybe?
    Cause that’s all i could stretch and call dramatic in whole 2/3 of the serie. Is there more i’d fail to notice?

6. Alec says:

The last 2 episodes are mediocre. the next episode will probably get things back on the right track.

Everything kinda went crazy after Yuki came.

7. Solaris says:

I’d add Korezombi showed all of those clichees you fiercely hated in other shows, but then, tell me why is it ok here but are those such a letdown in Star Driver or Yumekui merry as example? What if they put a beach episode here too? Should you go and say it’s carbage for the sake of coherence or rather would you just excuse it the same way you did when they showed haruna’s fanservice before?

8. Hogart says:

I agree with Solaris, the drama in this show was never really all that good. The premise behind Hellscythe and her drama could actually have been very successful, but I found the delivery weak and unconvincing. But then, everything about this anime is pretty weak except some of the premises and arguably the male lead.

The show’s just meandering it’s way into oblivion now, instead of using what little character development it managed to build up. Like you say, psgels, this simply isn’t the time for them to be screwing around.. especially since they such so much at screwing around.

9. Spike says:

I think some of you are looking for this show to be something it’s not. Its a fanservice comedy, that’s it. Drama and plot are just ways to introduce the cliches and tropes that the crowd it’s aiming at loves. And if you read 2ch- they really do love it. Just enjoy the show for what it is and stop lookng for something deeper.

10. hoiut says:

It’s not about depth, it’s about even meeting its own expectations. We know this show is capable of more, and at this point what it has managed to pull off should come together, not languish in tepid uninspired frivolity.

Wait, did I just say frivolity? As in frivolousness? In KZD? Yes, but it has to be said. This show made a name for itself in its UNCONVENTIONAL and WITTY use of frivolity. Now it’s fallen into the cliched, trope-laden wasteland of mediocrity, destroyed by the very premise it made out to subvert.

11. Solaris says:

WOW! Are #3 and #10 even the same person? Cause that’d be some amazing change of opinion after 2 more people popped your ‘drama’ delusion.
    This show proved to be anything unconventional and witty, except that very good first episodes that fired our expectations too high. The real problem with this show is that id does try too much to be what it shouldn’t be. It’s a fanservice party and it shouldn’t try to add drama where it’s not really needed, cause the result is just cheese.

12. Kyubey says:

I really liked the last two episodes. Needs more Kyoko though.

13. ItsYou says:

@Solaris: I beg to differ there. IMO, Korezom is much better when it balanced out Drama and ridiculousness perfectly. Eps 1-3 played ridiculousness out well, and eps 4-6 played the Drama portion well.
    That was what made the show great in the first place.

The problem with the past 2 episodes is that it was too ridiculous, I mean honestly, how many of you was expected that weird-ass device at the end of ep 6 to be used to power Megalos or create them?

Instead, they changed it to a Megalo-killing ramen maker, see how overly ridiculous and almost wasted that seemed?

Personally, the only good things about the past 2 eps were:

– The Horse and Jellyfish Megalo
    – The girl that gave Ayumu the glasses.
    – The demon santa thing
    – The Mask Donald ‘Shut Up’ Dude

Still, it seems that KoreZom is starting to enter Drama mode again from the ending. And I pray to god the final boss-fight would be as epic as the Kyoko fight in eps 5 and 6

Also, agreed that it needs more Kyoko.

14. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: I liked parts of the drama. Not just hellscythe’s past, but also some of those smaller scenes and expositions. Why am I suddenly delusional for having a different taste than yours?

Also, I don’t fault this series at all for trying to be more than a fanservice series. It’s the reason why I started blogging this thing in the first place. Obviously your mileage may vary with this.

15. Alec says:

Fanservices/Cliches does not define whether the anime is good or bad.

Those 2 things are usually unavoidable to begin with

16. Solaris says:

Apart that the delusion thing was directed at Houit, my problem with you is, PSgels, is not about tastes.
    My own problem with everyone is i’m quite harsh explaining my point of view, so i beg pardon for that, but it’s my trademark. Just live with that please.
    My problem with you, psgels is rather something regarding comment #7. Why the differences in evaluating similar aspects in different shows? Why so many mistakes in your reviews? Why overlooking so many details in your judgenment? Tastes are important, but what about objectivity? You anwered questions i made you before with the lamest reason ever: “because I like it, so what’s the problem?”. The problem, you say? That’s the problem, dammit! You had the habit to evaluate shows entirely and based your judgement on reason but NEVER tastes alone! I am missing that from you. Your advanced reasoning.

17. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: ah, now that’s an interesting comment.

I’m not sure whether I fully get what you mean, but interestingly, I started putting much more focus on what I liked in individual episodes because people were telling me that I kept talking too much about the big picture and too little about what actually went on in the episodes. Seems like I hit the other end of that extreme now.

Also, regarding overlooking so many details: I never claim to be complete. Focusing on every single detail would just take too much time. If I don’t mention it, it just means that I don’t have much to say about it without having to repeat myself too much.

18. Alec says:

indeed it is interesting. Even I can somehow agree.

19. ZoboCamel says:

I’ve gotta say here that I prefer subjectivity and focus on individual things in an anime blog. Trying to judge entertainment objectively seems a little silly to me; one series could be masterfully made and yet not be entertaining to anyone, while another might have production issues but be far more fun to watch. Honestly, I’d say the second show is the better one – after all, it’s entertainment, and there’s really no way to judge the quality of a show apart from a collection of subjective opinions. If people are saying ‘because I like it’ about a show, then, well, there’s obviously something about that show to make them like it.

20. Solaris says:

ZoboCamel’s opinion is honest, but beware that the ‘i like it’ way is mostly superficial to begin with.
    Star Crossed was ever great because of Psgels’ attitude to pierce through what’s objectionable and subjective and go straight to the point adding a whole layer of deep analysis. And that was unseen everywhere else in the Internet. Would he subtract from that and Star Crossed will slowly change into one of many other generic blogs out there: Worthless.
    I can see the starting point. Once upon a time Psgels had no problem to find material to blog. He’d find rare gems and pick them readily for everybody to enjoy as if he had a kind of third eye to spot quality in the raw. Stuff that generic people didn’t even care to consider, so far from generic standards, and even ugly to look at first sight, but that somehow had something worthwhile. Psgels saw them at instant and blogged it.
    What’s with all of that uneasiness now? At last two season start it was embarrassing to see all of that pick-up and drop-down wheel play. Stuff like Mitsudomoe and Korezombi, to name the latests, would have never win the right to be blogged before, even if he’d actually love them to death. Because it’s canon there is a big difference between raw taste and actual quality. Recognizing that wasn’t an issue before, but rather that third eye is closed now. Sleeping, maybe? I want to wake it up now!

21. psgels psgels says:

Solaris: I think I know what you mean and I agree with it mostly, and I’m going to try to put some more depth into my posts again. A few comments, though:

– I don’t agree that I used to be objective. Every time I analyzed a show, it was all based on what I find important in a series. For other people, that can be completely different.
    – As for the reason why I’m no longer picking out the underrated gems: this season doesn’t really have many of those. Only Level E perhaps fits that bill.

22. Solaris says:

Dammit Psgels: That excessive humble side of yours sometimes irks me :/
    >I never claim to be complete
    >I don’t agree that I used to be objective.
    You say that, but how is it you were always able to spot on the important features, keypoints and fine details in the shows with no effort?
    Let’s call it talent, or rather that’s the natural expression of your rational side.
    It’d be nice to know why you decided to change your method so heavily at last. Were you unsatisfied with it?
    PS: This is a very big OT I made. I wonder if it would be possible to move this to the forum instead, and go on there?

23. skchai says:

This was an episode aimed solely at otaku who enjoy intricate deconstruction of moe anime tropes. Taking it from that point of view, it was technically proficient and creative in the way it went through even some of the more obscure tropes and tried to recombine them in the most unlikely ways possible. It was a “pure” episode devoted to the main theme of the series.

It isn’t even parodying gap moe directly, but rather the complex efforts that creators make to generate gap moe, and the often strange results. The shojo-style school wife x magical girlfriend x kyuuketsu ninja superpower x harem exercise all show a deep familiarity with the tropes (including sly references to a number of previous shows).

Of course, it does has no relationship to what little plot the show has, and the characters themselves are just empty vessels for this exercise, something Ayumu in typical fashion complains about directly.

And it is not particularly funny unless you are so pre-tuned to previous series using gap moe that the juxtaposition hits intuitively, without consciously having to think about what you just saw. I am not at that “level” compared to a some 2ch vippers who were entranced, but can at least see why they were. But primarily it comes across as very technical at best. . .

In a sense, this was a pretty brave move on the creator’s part, since they know they could be alienating all but this hard-core. I doubt they will try anywhere near this extreme it for future episodes. However, a mandatory “trope-mincing” episode would be an improvement over staple character role change/sad back story or misunderstood love confession episodes (except when the plot actually needs it), much less beach episodes.

Of course, the main characters are just empty vehicles for this exercise, something they

24. hoiut says:

Yeah, same person. Change in opinion? …Not so much. The reason I commented twice is because each addressed a fundamentally different aspect of the anime — the cuteness of Ayumu’s “wife” situation and a tongue-in-cheek reference to whatever “drama” I happened to observe. I wasn’t commending it or anything, and a bit of cuteness certainly cannot pretend to save the series from its [apparent] downward spiral.

Heheh, as for psgel’s reviews, I think they hit the mark. He seems to use a global “big-picture” standpoint when called for and and episode-specific one when relevant. His reviews don’t seem to exhibit the inconsistencies or double standards of which you repeatedly and passionately speak.

See, I never had a problem with the second form because the large guy is so easy to hit and will simply miss you if you stay close to him. I think the one gripe I have with the fight is the heal, because with 2 bosses, you cant stop it alot of the time. I would argue that not getting trapped in a corner though is a skill you cultivate and is more the players fault than the bosses.
Though I actually was happy when they went invisible as that's when I can shave off a heavy chunk of their HP. Still if you happen to miss the small sign of where they jumped then you are screwed on that.
Healing, huge area of effect attacks, grab moves with barely any windup, freeze weapon effects that slow down attack animations, three goddamn forms, can turn invisible, long ass combos leaving little counterattack room and having to fight two bosses at the same time. Honestly, my victory here really depended in them not using certain attacks.
@Lenlo, I liked the visual design and the idea of it. However they gave it far too many cheap attacks. The second form is way to chaotic and depending on how they attack can put you in a position where you really can't do anything. Like when one breaths fire while the other starts healing, then you can't stop it. The final form as well, the minute they get you into a corner, you are done.
Whaaat? I loved that last boss.
Took me 2 and half hours to see everything in the DLC. Took me another 3 hours to beat the boss. Damn that boss had me in the zone. I think its was a serious bullshit artifical difficultly boss but man...beating that bullshit boss solo...felt good.
@Mario, starting to think I didn't need my help after all. I hope they make something worthwhile.
On a unrelated note the Dark Souls 3 DLC boss is serious bullshit.
Hey Aidan, thqt Kickstarter project Mecha-ude has passed its goal (nearly double now with 10 more days to go). Seems like people getting real hype for it
Wonder if Bam has played the new Dark Souls DLC. Found it rather lacking when compared to previous DLC from the last games.
@Anon, it's just a video of a still image of anime girls in bikini's with a red circle around one of their chests. Seeing as this thing has no views or subscribers my guess is someones is fishing for views. To which i say...what really is the point of making videos if this is the only way you can get people to watch them?
[link src="
I"] hate this crap that they corrupt anime with (crappy video that insults anime)
So RWBY's back. I actually miss the whole RWBY team. Still prefer Ruby's old custom more. Nora looks cool.
With the fourth episode, Vivid Strike seems to have crossed an invisible line that makes it more like the original Nanoha shows rather than Vivid. The kind of brutal beatdown delivered by the co-protagonist and the build up to it is something quite alien to a normal SoL/Sports anime show.
Ep. 4 of Tiger Mask was a lot better than the last 3, quite a hyped fight that was a full 6mins long. Will continue watching in hope of an awesomely long final fight.
Going back to the fanservice topic, its very easy to complain about it in anything but then something actually comes along that actually does it for you. I mean I always say that I don't watch a show/movie for its fanservice elements and stick with pictures on image boards, but then I ended up seeing a film where I actually got something out of the fanservice while watching the film its.
The oujia prequel was competent genre fare, the director cared about the characters and every now and the built up a decent mood. Although jump Scares are there . And I always appreciate a horror film having a mean spirited ending. One of the rare cases where the young actors do well in a horror film. The pace is a bit uneven, rushed and a bit laggy .
In the sense of how messed up/especially bleak those two episodes were.
There was the sense too with both those episodes of "Jesus...I wasn't ready for that...."
Though the first episode of the first season and the third episode of season 3 are very hard to beat. Adding to what I thought of s3 ep3 I felt that one hit me on the same level as s1 ep1 did so.
Though in previous seasons I generally only really liked 2 out of the 3.
@Kaiser, though the previous seasons where only 3 episodes long and you enjoyed 3 out of 6 in this season. So yo essentially get the same amount of enjoyment as previous seasons.
Based on my comments, it looks like I had a mixed reaction to the third season. Three out of six, but the great was was great and forgives it but I still feel that there was more of a consistentancy in quality in the other seasons. I enjoyed every story in seasons 1 and 2.
The final episode felt like a movie all on its own, I'd have gladly watched another thirty minutes of it, ending was a nice punch in the gut.
Just finished black mirror season 3. I hear people basically complaining that it's not as strong as the previous two season but I disagree. I really enjoyed this and this is a show that deserves much more episodes. Personal favorite is between shut up and dance and hated in the nation. Worst I thought was San Junipero. Overall thought each episode was interesting.
On the upside I loved black mirrors fifth episode, I'm a sucker for war/action-dramas and I particularly liked the tech in this one.
Yeah this is impossible for me to sit through, the romance part is also rather dull.
Eh, this fourth episode is plodding and trite, feels like a bad, poorly dated 90s film.
@Aidan: Third episode also instilled a great sense of paranoia.
@Kaiser: thanks for that mate. I have too much to say for Flipflappers but to put them all in coherent flow is goddamn hard. And like I said I still fell I left many details out: that gung-ho potato or Yayaka and the twins
@Friend: jugding from the last convention I went to, people loved Re:Zero customs (Emilia and Rem, Ram were highlights. Or you could try RWBY characters (I for once love to see someone cosplay Pirrha Nikos or Velvet Scarlatina)
@Aidan: Didn't care much for new black mirrors second episode, then again I'm not really the target for that story. The third episode while a bit heavyhanded and predictable was suspenseful, nasty/mean and I liked that about it, did in 50 minutes what some thrillers fail to achieve in two hours.
Holo is a good one :0
Materials aren't a problem at all for the most part, except for anything too crazy like working in brass. I'd prefer it to be characters I'm familiar with.
Does it matter to you that they're from shows that you like, or are you just in it for the challenge?
@Friend Aidan has some good ones there. I'd also give the cast of Akame ga Kiru a shot, I don't like the series but it has a lot of neat character designs.
I was thinking simple as I didn't know what kind of materials you got on hand. I was also thinking of Holo from spice and wolf or Kino from Kinos journey either.
Mm, Tatsumaki might be not challenging enough to design for. Doesn't Shiki simply wear either a coat or Japanese kimono? I do work in set design and not in character prop design, but I'd love to try something that would let me reasonably challenge myself.
@Friend, Spit balling here but Tatsumaki from One Punch Man? I know the costume for that one would be simple enough. Or maybe Shiki from Kara No Kyoukai?
*I don't want to do anything too complex for my first try, but I also don't want to do anything boring. Boring would be a character like Rukia or Celty. Any ideas?
I remember talking about this with Emma/Kaiser before, but has anyone here gone cosplaying at an expo before? I thought it would be neat to try designing my own costume and try something else beside drawing on a computer.
@Kaiser, I am up to episode 4. 3 has been the best one so far.Though in all these episodes I pretty much figured out the twist from the get go. Still this shows always tends to get you thinking.
I think the roles/identity thing with flipflappers, at least with the protaganist does fit in well with adolescence.
@Aidan: I've only seen the first episode so far. I felt the acting was intentional and reflected the satire Brooker was going for on the shallow nature of society. Bleak as ever but gloriously grotesque.
@Mario:Good in depth reviewing there Mario of flipflappers episode three.
Good god this first episode of black mirror is hard to watch. I know exactly how it's going to turn out but it's just so damn painful to watch.
Well, tbh up to where I've seen there's not much explicit yaoi in yuri on ice, only a lot of fujoshi fuel.
@Kaiser. thanks for the torrent. Gonna blaze through this today.
@Topgavin, as someone who watches a metric ton of anime I am rather surprised at that estimate that 90% of it contains Yuri.
My god those gay scenes in Yuri on Ice are hard to watch for me. Wonder if this is how it feels to be a girl watching 90% of normal anime nowadays.
okay, Flip Flappers episodic review was up. This is my lengthiest weekly review so far and I still feel I missed a lot of points. Damn you Flip Flappers
You have seen the light, not needing to know everything thats happening to enjoy something ^_^
I've given some consideration to reviewing that oujia film followup.
Whether you see one or the other is entirely up to your preferences, so it makes no difference to me which is worse. I have gotten very tired of generic character types, but again that's just because of the things I decide to regularly follow.
I will say if it must come down to either unnatural dialogue or unnatural character types, at leas the character type is speaking their own words and not the words of the script writer.
Or was that a black and white fallacy? Maybe it was a little of both.
@Realjustified, K-Off wasn't agreeing with me. That's a Moving the Goal Posts logical Fallacy but well I will answer regardless. Honestly it's preferable to have neither. The big mistake you are making here is that you are putting down a condiction that a show must have one or the other. But both cartoons and anime can have both. I just think it's a lot more prominent in cartoons than anime.
Like, having read hundreds of harem manga over the years, a majority of the ultimate love interest always happens to be the first girl the protagonist meets.
Wait wait wait wait. Aidan and K-Off. I get that dialogue in cartoon can seem like it was written by a script writer, but at the same time, lots of anime have characters whose sole purpose is entirely scripted. The whole spectrum of "deres" and everything. What do you think is worse? Unnatural dialogue, or unnatural character types?
You guys should really go fuck yourself, it's a solution and it's nothing short of great!
You guys should really watch the first 4 episodes of Bungo, it's a prequel and it was nothing short of great!
omg!! I just realized To be Hero was one of the show that I reviewed its 1st episode back in Chinese Animation post. I watched raw then though
forgive me if I'm a bit too overwhelmed by Flip Flappers... For this episode alone I took like 25 screenshots...trying to write a review now...
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in Flip Flappers plot. And yet for some reason I am OK with that.
Anyone out there that's a fan of crude humor should go watch ep.3 of To Be Hero. Certinately stepped it up a notch from the last two humor-wise.
One downside I can think of already is that I'm bound to lose or break one of the detachable controllers. The cost for those pieces is what I'm most interested in.
Nintendo Switch hmm? Honestly it looks too good to be true. I expect some major downsides to this thing.
I like cartoons, don't get me wrong. Certainly good for a change of pace. But there is something about the way they are written that I find rather distracting.
I don't know, maybe if I said it's like the difference from how characters talk in movie vs how characters talk in a sitcom?
@K-Off, I said one liner's or jokes. Not one liner jokes. It's hard to explain. Basically when I hear a conversation in anime even if it is based in stereotypes, it at least feels like a conversation that's being had in the moment. In cartoons however there is a layer of artificiality and it feels like characters know what a person is going to say and has a response prepared.
That's probably why some of my favorite anime in recent years haven't been very heavy on character archetypes, or were either parodies of it.
Comedic dialogue with anime in recent years have leaned too much on the idea of playing off character archetypes. The collected character vs the energetic character, for one. I'd like to see more variety. Some more word play, hyperbolic humor, body humor, etc etc.
@Aidan Not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's certainly not even a majority of cartoons that rely on cheap one liner jokes. I suppose it's entirely up to taste, but I can appreciate the energy in cartoons like Steven Universe or Regular Show when compared to the increasingly repetitive dialogue found in some recent anime.
@Topgavin: I just read that review and his main reason being Shelter is pretentious. oh well! Can't never please anyone.
Thought I'd check out the reviews for Shelter on MAl and the top review is a 1/10. Apparently because it's a cute girl we sympathise with her more, which is bad because reasons. I mean.. what? MAL never ceases to amaze me
@Mario, no. It's more that the dialogue keeps trying to push out one liners or jokes regardless of whose talking.
@Aidan: maybe because they spoke in your native language do you can feel that it's artificial, ya know? I know I have the same problem with Vietnamese drama/ cartoon and maybe Japanese people have that same issues with anime?
By which I mean, the way characters talk in cartoons is very...artificial. Like you can tell that the dialgoue was clearly written beforehand and it never really sounds natural. At least to me.
@Anon, I wouldn't. The writing and structure are too cartoon. What with the episodic nature and dialogue that generally pushes for a comedic tone.
Flanagan also directed absentia which I haven't seen yet but I think someone I came across of 4chan linked it to being lovecraftian?
Oculus was a film of two halves for me. Hush was a pretty standard home invasion thriller, making the victim deaf was an interesting twist but not as unique as you might think, still suspenseful though.
I never saw the first oujia film. Though Mike Flanagan who did the sequel, he's never made a bad movie but he's never really made a great one either.
I stick to the firm belief that cartoons and anime, visually should do and be their own thing. I'll prefer a western artstyle for cartoons rather than one pretending to look like anime style.
But this is a good topic and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions so I'm looking to hear some more arguments
@anon352392: no they aren't. For me not because of where their production based, nor their intended audience, but rather their styles, both visually and storytelling-ly, are different
Anime,” they assert, is not a “style” of illustration or animation.
That's where I differ to those guys. For me, anime is a style. In that sense, I consider RWBY, and Canadian-produced short Flutter as an anime. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not and anime-influence shows/movies that are intented for Western audience like AniMatrix or Afro Samurai are anime
@Anon nah they wouldn't be because they aren't made by a japanese producer for the japanese market. Quality isn't the question, production is
NX and Red Dead Redemption 2 trailers tomorrow.
They are good series and i honestly like them alot more than most anime series, would their quality make them anime?
What about cartoons like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil?
In other news a sequel to an absolutely terrible horror movie called Ouija is out and it's...actually pretty good? Wondering if critics were paid off or it is legit good. Well it did have the guy who was behind Oculus and that was a pretty good movie.
Simplify the term down enough and anime is literally anything animated but the whole point of the term is to distinguish it. For to call Spongebob an anime makes me want to projectile vomit. Point is this, you say you watched a cartoon, people think Tom and jerry, Scooby doo etc. You say you watched an anime, people think Cowboy bebop, Attack on titan, etc. Whole point of the term.
For example, I don't consider Avatar or RWBY to be anime for while they use anime style, the writing is fundamentally structured like an American cartoon. Through I would consider Bloodivores an anime even though it was made by a Chinese animation company, making it technically a Chinese cartoon.
As far as what is and isn't anime I honestly think of the term as a means of distinguishing it from cartoon which gives the impression of being for children. It's like Graphic novel is to comic book. Though techically graphic novels are issues of comics bound in book form, the term Graphic novel is often used to distinguish works that go above superhero comics and whatnot.
Basically I think it was due to Porter Robinsons involvement that they didn't consider it anime.
@Aidan: Did the mods give any concrete reasons why they didn't consider it an anime?
@Mario, It wasn't the community that had the problem. It was the mods. The community made it pretty clear that they considered it anime.
So despite the art style is obviously anime, the character speaks in Japanese, and the production was animated by A1 Studios, it's not an anime? Sometimes I feel sad that the anime community keeps limiting themselves with such fixed minds.
I saw it yesterday and yes it was good. For a 5-minute story, they don't make it too overwhelme with details, and still pack an emotional punch. Moreover it elevates the song. Good stuffs.
Shelter was quite good though. It works well and the animation was beautiful. Song is not bad either. It's got a nice emotional punch to it though it's a bit simple a story.
Well anyway I only saw all this because I checked out the video for the first time and wanted to see how others thought of it with a quick scan through reddit. And I get this shitshow instead.
Playing the victim is the one really pisses off the internet. For refusing to admit you f*cked up only encourages people to shove how you f*cked up into your face. That's what really grinds peoples gears.
Yep, seen that too. The mods even put up another tread about the video and tried to guilt trip people by saying they got death threats. Look, internet rules 101. If you said or did something stupid admit to it and just walk away. Do not try to deflect blame or play the victim, that only adds fuel to the fire.
@Aidan oh yeah saw that live lol. Porter himself even commented on twitter about it, gotta love internet drama
So did anyone happen to catch the big old shitstorm of that Shelter music music when a mod of the Anime subreddit decided it wasn't "Anime" enough and removed the discussion post about it? Oh internet drama...what silly nonsense.
Finally caught up with JoJo. Diamond is Unbreakable has turned out to be much better than Stardust Crusaders. Should have waited for the season to finish through as I really loved marathoning it.
I had a feeling that might be the case considering the source materail for luger.
@Mario Oh I watched that, certinately worth it. Packed more story that some 12-episode shows do nowadays and gorgeous animation.
and I will check out "Shelter" music video to see what all the fuss is about
*this weekend to be exact.
Sounds like Luger Code 1951 is an OVA that will air next week, the same air date with "my" Zaregoto OVA.
@Mario: doesn't sound real at all to me lol
@Mario, I might be able to manage. If all else fails I can talk about the past of these historical figures.
While I don't mind watchinng Drifters, I swaer if I had to cover that show, I couldn't come up with anything to say.
Do you guys know what language the fairies speak in Drifters? It does sound like a genuine language
@topgavin: humanity has declined is a great show. It has good writing and dark, witty sense of humor. I could talk about it in length but psgels pretty much covered it all. He was really impressed by that show however.
That should be me covered till the weekend. Why do all my shows air on the weekend...
@Mario nah I've watched the whole thing but I'd heard about it at the start of this year and put it off. The dialogue between her and the fairies was great stuff, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend now that you mention it
Alright, I got three posts written up and will be throwing them out in about two hours or do.
I thought you've finished it. Yeah I love her character a lot, so cynical but witty. My favorite moment was when she read about fairy's plan to invent religions. She was like "so religions are invented?" (beat) "I've learn something new today". Priceless
@Mario Oh nice, it was one that I had heard about but never got round to. To put it in simple anime terms, Watashi is best girl
@topgavin: I just finished the series yo mentioned the other day: humanity is declined. Man, I love it. I know now I have a thing for dark twisted absurdist anime
@Ano340004: the name is Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, or to put it short Motete. I have fun with it but i'm not that enthuastic
@anon the english name is Kiss him, not me. Search through the first impressions if you need the jap name.
then that girl really loves BL (boy love)
what is the name of the anime that the girl is fat and then she got depressed because her favorite boy anime died then she got thin?
Season 7 is awesome so far too. It feels like the tone of the show is finally back to normal and it feels like Adventure Time again.
Whew, I binged all seasons of Adventure Time this weekend. The show hit a low spot in Season 6 but I think it needed to happen...Poor Finn needed the serious character development after what he did to FP.
You guys are too hard on it
Motete is very funny
When it comes to gag manga and four-koma, I just eventually reach a stopping point with a comedy series in that format. Even with hidamari sketch.
I think it was typical light novel trash based on what was in the PV. I laughed that despite it being horrible that the crowd still cheered anyway, likely because it had a bath clip in it.
The PV was hilarious. I had no idea what the anime was about.
@Aidan I'm good, I'll stick with Working.
@K-Off, you could switch to something like Gi(a)rlish Number if you like. I for one am really digging the satire of the show. Plus I like that it's basically showing how an utter train-wreck of an anime can be made. That PV in the last episode was truly painful.
Feeling pretty disappointed with Working. I haven't gotten any more cynical with comedies, at least I don't think, and its flaws are so irritating.
@Adam Le, I find that with Comic book dialogue. Which is one of the reasons I have gone off marvel movies. Cartoons have it to a degree as well.
I love the instagram shots in Yuri
Maybe I can have a watch through those live action films and do a compare/contrast to see which version works better. After all movie and tv series are 2 different medium, and live-action vs animation is the topic that we never get tired of
speaking of which, the overlap between anime and live-action adaptation from manga is overwhelming. For this year alone, there were Erased, 3-gatsu no Lion, Fune o Amu, orange, and Chihayafuru (part 1&2). Those were just the ones I know.
@Adam: Don't know which genre you're into but you can try Fune o Amu (The Great Passage)
Adam Le
I can't seem to get into any of these new shows. I don't know, the dialogue always seems off to me and the forced comedy is a big turn off.
Reminds me of a thought I had when I was last at the Getty art museum. People walking past works of art hundreds of years old, but only taking a second-long glance before moving on to the next one. Not their fault really, it's only the professional critics who can understand what they see with depth.

Occultic:Nine – 03[She Cracked]

This week on Occultic;Nine…stuff happens I guess? In watching this i am getting reminders of Chaos;Head in a lot of ways. Now the Chaos;Head anime was a mess but the visual novel actually started really well with a lot of intrigue before D-swords were introduced and the whole narrative just became a giant nonsensical mess. […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 04[Add More Friends!]

Guess I gave Ruler a bit too much credit than she deserved. I still think in her own way she did care about her team but she had a much bigger ego than expected when you see her real self. Ruler has the problematic nature of overestimating her own worth and in doing so pushes […]

Drifters – 03[Army of Ours–Sortie at Dawn]

After two episodes of pretty solid quality I happen to notice this episode took a bit of a downturn in animation. Though to be fair this was the most action focused episode yet which strangely didn’t feature our main trio. Instead we get introduced to the other protagonists and our main antagonists. We also get […]

3-gatsu no Lion 3d

3-gatsu no Lion – 03 [Harunobu – Beyond the Night Sky]

Another week, another touching little stories from Rei and his friends. Still follow the same structure as previous 2 weeks, we have the first half of Rei competing against Harunobu, his lifelong rivalry (or so that guy thought), and the remaining half of Rei visiting the three sisters on the last day of Obon festival. […]

Flip Flappers 03d

Flip Flappers – 03 [Pure XLR]

Flip Flappers again raises the bar of what is expected of them, as this week the show goes even much trippier than the previous two weeks, and much darker too. They break out even their own formula, starting this episode right in the middle of desert wasteland. While this episode certainly reminds you a lot […]

Sound Eupho 2 03a

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 03 [Troubled Nocturnes]

This week, we follow an almost 24 hours of Kumiko practicing music, Kumiko interacting with other members, Kumiko having a sleepless night in a band camp, and that’s basically it. In a very Sound Eupho’s way of storytelling, there seems to be not much going on, but this episode actually lays a lot of groundworks […]

Occultic;Nine – 02 [My Cold Dimension]

After a disastrous first episode that has likely pushed away a number of viewers, Occultic;Nine decides to slow down it’s pacing to a more acceptable degree which is a good move. This does make the show much more watchable as the dialogue isn’t running off like a machine gun and we can actually take a […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 03 [Update Notice!]

Mahou Keikaku continues steady ahead though it’s writing still leaves something to be desired. In particular I was surprised as to just how lackluster the reveal was that whoever drops out is killed. The previous episode made it seem as though Fav was intentionally keeping that aspect in the dark with how he removed the […]

Drifters – 02 [Footsteps]

I originally wasn’t all that impressed with the Drifters manga but when looking at it in motion it truly shows its worth. i guess that is because of the very nature of this series being what it is. Looking at drawing of a man being cut in half and seeing a man be cut in […]

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373