Posted by psgels on 22 April 2011 with categories: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

A Jesus Ending? It’s been a while since we had one of those.

Yeah, the loophole that the creators used was simply the fact that they never explicitly stated that there was any limit to the wish you could make. Madoka just wishes for a world without witches and Kyuubei… grants it. He doesn’t even seem to have the power to reject such a wish. And so, Madoka dies for our sins and completely changes the world. It neither was the best nor the worst ending of this season, but it didn’t hurt this series either: Madoka Magica remains a wonderful show to watch.

Now obviously the first question that came to my mind when Madoka made her wish was “why the heck didn’t people do this before?” I mean, we all asked this question before: instead of just wishing for simple wishes like resurrecting someone, why couldn’t you wish for an unlimited amount of wishes? Because this series refused to explain that, we all just assumed that Kyuubei would obviously refuse any wishes disadvantageous to him. And here, this episode showed that those wishes could have been possible.

My guess is that nobody made such a wish yet, because Kyuubei keeps targeting emotionally distraught teenaged girls who have just been hit by a major trauma. Yes, in a regular situation in which you’re just sitting in your comfy chair you can indeed try to bend these rules all you’d like, but I can imagine that Kyuubei always presents himself to girls who are desperate for one single wish, offering exactly what they need the most. I could be wrong here, but when you’re about to die in a car accident, you wouldn’t really try to be cheeky and think of a loop-holing wish from out of nowhere.

Madoka was the exception, because at the start of this series, she had no reason to be in despair: she didn’t know anything about Homura, and Kyuubei instead got greedy for her powers, and tried to convince her by tempting her.

And yet, I do fault Madoka for not thinking of this obvious solution any sooner. It’s probably the biggest flaw of this series: she pretty much spends 10,5 episodes angsting, only to snap out of things, go Jesus and wish all the witches away. In the end, the only way in which she really set herself apart is the way in which she refused to change into a mahou shoujo, even though this is a mahou shoujo series. At least the other characters in this series had really interesting backstories.

Oh, but that aftermath was really good. It showed that even though witches are gone, there are still other things that demand a mahou shoujo, and Kyuubei also isn’t gone, albeit completely different. It’s definitely interesting to see the different characters here in a world without Madoka or witches. Especially the latter lead to some interesting character development, but also the lack of Madoka in her family was really interesting.

Overall, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica definitely belongs in the top 3 series that premiered in the past Autumn and Winter Season, along with Hourou Musuko and Level E. Whether or not it was the best out of all of them though is very hard to say because they’re amazing at completely different things. Hourou Musuko also had an amazing second half, Level E had an absolutely fantastic beginning. Either way though, this was the best series that Shaft has made since Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei 1, and I really hope that future Shaft series will follow this series in its tracks: not just blindly copy Shinbo’s style, but also letting the writers really do what they want to do.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Anonymous says:

Blatant internet penis attempt much

2. AidanAK47 says:

Judgement day has come….By which I mean we can judge today if Madoka will enter the realms of a must watch masterpiece or instead be that anime which was really good except for the ending. I doubt Gen will let us down.

All hail Kyubey, gentlemen. All hail.

3. elianthos says:

@anonymous (how brave of you): pot.non-existent kettle.much?
    He was asked by the readers to do it, and it’s a wise precaution anyway.

yay the end finally :D, I’ll be glad to have watched it whatever the end.

4. Terra says:

Is everyone ready for this?!!?! I’ve been waiting for ages!!
    How do you think its going to end?
    Personally I think Madoka going to become a witch and bring everyone inside her barrier.. either that or homura is going to die.

5. Aysel says:

I think that madoka is going to stay human and to end the cycle of witches on earth, homura is going successfully defeat the walpurgis night, but by doing that she in turn will become a witch. Then like in the past when homura killed madoka, preventing her from becoming a witch, now madoka will kill homura from becoming a witch.

That way homura’s mission is complete, madoka doesn’t become a puella magica and the last of the witches are dead and done. But I guess that would be a kind of sad ending.

That’s what I think will happen though! Just from speculation!

6. swa says:

Burning with anticipation, yeah!

7. Kiarae says:

Wow, I can’t believe what I just watched! Or that it’s over…

8. Anca says:

Oh, that was EPIC.

9. Anca says:

Oh, that was EPIC.

10. Terra says:

I don’t know what just happened T___T seriously?!?! what just happened??!?!

11. Anca says:

Because of Homura’s constant time travels Madoka, not just Walpurgis, have been steadily growing stronger. When Homura was about to be defeated Madoka made a wish to erase all magical girls from history, which meant she had to rewrite the Universe itself. Which made her God. Homura and QB were somehow exempt from this, Homura because of her time/space travel powaa. Because Madoka became omniscient and omnipresent she remembered all of Homura’s iterations, but because she became God she wrote herself effectively out of the current universe. Homura now fights a new source of entropy Madoka added.

Or so I understood.

tl;dr MADOKA DIED FOR OUR SINS. ON GOOD FRIDAY, NO LESS.

12. Lexi says:

Thank god I watch it before your comment. All hail Madoka as our savior.

13. Anca says:

hence spoilers post XD

14. Gottis says:

Seriously. WHAT A WAY TO START OFF EASTER

15. Algent says:

I didn’t see it coming, that was EPIC.

16. elianthos says:

I was hoping for an ending along those lines. Yeeeeeeah XDD

17. elianthos says:

*comment got cut* the song in my head while reading spoilers and looking at screenshots of the end around the net http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_crD6Oqsw&feature=related

18. AFADFAS says:

Homura has become like the second most powerful being in the Universe =O

19. Lexi says:

btw did you see that Joan of Arc was a mahou shoujo

20. Chris says:

My eyes just had an orgasm. Yummy eye candy.

21. Risa says:

Madoka is jesus O.O I SEE IT NOW!!!!

22. Mae says:

THAT WAS SO EPIC.
    -spoiler-
    madoka is god. XD

i like to think of it as she doesn’t die. she just exists everywhere. ^^

and lexi, so was cleopatra. XD

23. m says:

If I have a complaint, it’s really that if you’re in a position to alter the rules of the game you could pick a lot better rules than what we end up with, which leaves us with a bittersweet outcome solely at the author’s whim. I have no qualms with ceding that this is always the case, but usually the writer doesn’t present his character a free choice at the infinite flavor sundae bar when he intends for his character to get the turd sundae.

Still, for the author in question, this is pretty much a Disney ending. I was expecting something crueler.

24. Risa says:

m: So was I tbh. I’m a huge fan of angsty endings because I find that they have a way of provoking me to reflect on myself. This ending fell short because it tried to give us an at least semi happy ending. I won’t complain though because I think that although it wasn’t the best ending, it was good enough. I did enjoy watching it. Had the ending been more angsty, it’d get a 10 from me but as it is, it gets a 9.

Overall though, it was a great anime and one that I will probably end up watching over and over again. It joins the likes of Katanagatari and Kino no Tabi in my list of favorite anime and anime that I will watch over and over again and never get sick of.

The ending, in my opinion, was also there to set up for a season 2. Madoka repeatedly hinted that she would meet Homura again and there as long as Homura doesn’t give up hope, then anything is possible. Tatsuya also remembers Madoka somewhat, even though he thinks she’s his imaginary friend, which leads me to think that she wasn’t totally erased from the world. Lastly, the new demons that were introduced went unexplained too. I think that if there is to be a sequel, the story will either star Homura chan as the main chara or will introduce a whole new magical girl to the story.

25. Ragna says:

Damn that was epic… with that ending, Madoka has officially become an instant classic.

-spoilers-

Sure, the “become god and change everything” trope has been used time and again, but the execution here is stunningly good.

They could have explained what happened to Homura better though, but I guess they just wanted to leave it open.

26. Emily says:

The way I see it, Homura kept a piece of Madoka with herself, both in memory, and in a physical sense (the ribbon). Because she kept a part of Madoka with her, she was able to manifest some of Madoka’s legendary power. The black wings Homura had at the very end looked a lot like the despair which Madoka prevented from overtaking the Earth. Homura carries that despair with her now.

The reason the reorganized universe still has manifest demons is because Madoka, although a God, received her universal powers through a single wish. Her wish was to erase witches before they were born. Her wish was not to erase all evil, all sadness, from ever occurring. In short, her wish was imperfect, and thus so is the world born of her wish.

27. yodaz says:

-major spoilers-

So they actually set up for this earlier in the ep when madoka was talking to kyubey. Kyubey mentions how having wishes granted is normally impossible and obviously would have consequences. Previously those consequences were that they would turn into witches and “curse” people once their “hope” died. In the last ep Homura says that “we still have curses”; indicating that the price of the wish are those curses and that those curses simply have a new vessel (those things that she’s fighting). In other words, the author set up an ending where good is fighting evil, hope vs “anti hope”, aka “demons”, aka “curses”. It was all fantastically done, though I could do with everyone not sprouting Jesus references every time something like this comes up.

28. anon234 says:

Very good, although “epic” isn’t the right word to use. Unless you’re talking about LoGH, the Illiad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid, the Journey to the West, or the Mahabharata, then the word “epic” doesn’t apply. That said, this is one of the best show’s I’ve seen in a long time.

29. alexvoda says:

I’m gonna say this now and hope I’m first.
    Madoka isn’t just the NGE of the mahou shojo genre, it is also the TTGL.
    Bravo Urobuchi Gen!

30. Janette says:

I find it interesting how we were lead to believe there was no option but for a tragic ending, and then despite everything, get a semi-happy ending. I feel like I can’t stop getting trolled by Gen.

31. Anno says:

Madoka died on Friday.
    And will come back to life on Sunday.

32. Kiarae says:

Finally got it subbed and was quite happy with that ending. Not only was it a good was to “end” such a series, but it was a nice way to set up further ones (given how popular it is). I know some prequels are in the works, and love the depth that this series can delve into!

Also, YEAH on Kyubee not remembering. Makes it more tolerable to see him at the end. He’s still terrible, but less so…

I am still a bit confused on what happened with Sayaka though.

33. some loser says:

awesome series though one question. the girl at 5:00… did it remind anyone of kemono no souja erin?

34. Drew says:

For those confused about the ending:

Madoka sacrifices herself so Magical Girls don’t turn into witches. However, the despair that is created by the existence of Magical Girls needs an outlet and now manifests as Demons.

Kyoko kills herself so her existence doesn’t continue to spawn demons. Mami’s solemn statement that this is the future for all Magical Girls indicates the system is essentially the same; the only caveat is that instead of turning into witches directly, they form demons indirectly. Same vicious circle in that they are fighting things their very existence creates. The irony and lols.

Ultimately, Madoka’s sacrifice was meaningless. Gen gave us a masterpiece, complete with a despair-filled ending. Series rating: 12/10. 10 points for excellence and a 2 bonus points for no panty shots.

35. South says:

“Fast forward who knows how many years into the future and the world looks to be pretty much destroyed with Homura left against some large demons. She springs to attack them. The end.”

Oh my, this was the only part that I was like WTH about. But since Madoka says not to lose hope…haha, dunno, I really loved the ending but I wish that last NGE part would be out at times.

36. Qwerty1 says:

@ Drew

Not quite… The magical girls don’t create the demons. It’s the natural despair of humans, remember that witches fed off the stuff to gain more power. Without witches around the stuff was just left to fester forming a lifeform of it’s own which the incubators harness as a far lower output but apparently far more abundant form of energy.

Sayaka’s death was likely due to a particularly rough fight where she ended up putting too much of her power into her final attack. In the new world though instead of turning into a witch at the moment of transformation the magical girl meets Omni-Madoka who destroys the negative energy and the magical girls seem to just fade away.

37. Alec says:

fcuk yeah!!! I knew it was goin to be epic! I didnt expect it to be that epic!…

seems like Shinbo plans on making a slice of life series Madoka. All I can say is: “Garbage! Thats absoulute garbage!”.

38. Qwerty1 says:

I think people are misinterpreting some things. The final scene with Homura, people keep referring to it as a post apocalyptic scene or the end of existence etc. It’s just one of the barriers that the demons set up similar to witches. Just look at how the world transitions back to normal around the girls after the Madoka/Sayaka scene. They were in some sort of barrier and when they defeated the demons the space dissolved. It’s just as likely that this hellscape Homura was in was a barrier.

I actually think that the final scene is supposed to represent Homura’s “death”. If you consider how all of that energy is just bursting out of her and that the objects floating around in the energy have a serious “witch” vibe going for them it’s likely we’re seeing Homura using up all the energy she has sine she’s fighting alone and on the verge of becoming a witch.

This is why she suddenly hears Madoka’s voice since her becoming a witch means she’s going to meet the Omni-Madoka and then disappear like all of the girls in the earlier montage. Madoka told her before disappearing that they would see each other again, and that is the point when they’re guaranteed to meet.

It makes the ending even more bitter sweet if you think about it that way.

39. Nomus says:

Not bad, but definitely not good either. It was a nice yurish ending, but nothing unexpected, while almost all previous eps were filled with things you wouldn’t expect. Interesting dialogs, deconstruction of genre and here we have apocalyptic\happy ending N212351273 And the art wasn’t good either. The last witch and those demons were not a 1/100 as creative as previous witches.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but this series deserved them. What it didn’t deserve is such an ending.

40. Ryouichi says:

Somehow, this ended just like how my OC in my daydreams did, except he harbors all the darkness instead of destroying them, and is going insane. ^o^. But yeah, bittersweet endings suck but always draw me back in.

41. slivermoon says:

Am I the only one who thought it was really sad that Madoka’s mom didn’t remember her? She was consistently there before or after a really bad/pivotal scene occurred. There was so much love there that it was heartbreaking to see it erased. To me at least.

42. Unico says:

Reminds me of the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars ending. And it seems Japanese storytellers have an obsession with creating stories about ridding the world of despair / sadness / chaos. Knowing full well that humans are emotional beings and can easily do bad as they can do good.

Madoka Magica is a nicely done short series, and an interesting version about a powered up girl taking on something bigger than herself. However, the ending felt like anime I have already seen just with different characters and some slight rearrangement on how the main character will accomplish their task (can’t say goal).

Basically it is: “the world sucks, i wish i could change it! but sometimes the world is awesome! so i don’t want to change it that much, just enough so i don’t cry about how hopeless it is all the time… because i can accept its faults and welcome its good moments.” *smiley face / burst into sparkles*

Everyone has the “I wish I were God” or “I wish I could question said being” fantasy.

43. Petit says:

@ Unico

Couldn’t have said it better myself. But that’s the hard truth isn’t it? Humans are so extremely conceited and yet selfless to the point of absurdity at the same time. Think the Japanese found that that idea the most intriguing and just wanted to play off of that in many ways. Hollywood wouldn’t dare make such films because most Americans don’t want that kind of stuff. We like self-made men and definite, happy resolutions.

44. betawatcher says:

Beautiful ending. (a happy ending wouldn’t have suited this series anyway…)

45. mds says:

whoa….truly fascinating.

ALL HAIL MADOKA!!!

now where’s the review? can’t wait for it!

46. gandalf8 says:

I think I’ll save my opinions after psgels real post of the episodes. Just want to state that I’m really satisfied with the ending.

47. Tan-Tan says:

I guess it was an okay ending. I don’t agree it is amazing at all though. The emotional impact is superb, but the conclusion is simply lacking.

48. Anon says:

Madoka is the invisible pink unicorn!!!

49. ChobitsChi says:

Simply great.
    I wasn’t disappointed the least although I was a bit worried after having read so many comments saying the ending was disappointing. I think those people just got their expectations up too high.

50. nrad says:

I wont say it’s satisfactory. I wont say its awesome either. I’ll just say it’s a very interesting conclusion; in many different ways that is…..

Just had one strange thought come to mind: this series might as well have been a prologue to the happy-go-lucky mahou shoujou series that we have seen all this time…..

51. Tan-Tan says:

The ending was a safe ending. Guess they got scared of messing it up.

52. EXM says:

Just a question. Did Homura also become a god? Her wish transcended time, but she can never save Madoka, but Madoka’s wish negates her from ever become a wtich, but at the same time, it prevents her from ever having her wish granted, how does this work?

53. Perrin4869 says:

Kyuubei DID state that he can grant Madoka almost any wish because of her latent power, meaning that not everyone could make such a wish. It sounds like a reasonable rule, at least to me, I buy it.

54. Tomato says:

Yeah, I recall Kyubei saying something along the lines of “Your wish is near impossible! Though it might just be possible because of all the world lines converging on you” implying that normally you wouldn’t be able to pull off that wish.

55. totoum says:

“And here, this episode showed that those wishes could have been possible.”

WHOA WHOA WHOA,hold it right there psgels
    those wishes,and especialy the one we got this episode, are possible to Madoka and Madoka only,no other girl in history could have pulled this off.
    QB’s system will grant a wish that’s proportional to the girl’s power,If the girl doesn’t have the power then QB can’t grant the wish.
    Madoka is an annomaly,because Homura time traveled countless times Madoka has accumulated more and more power as each timeline has gone by to the point that she now has an amount that’s unprecedented.
    The odds of something like that acuring before in history are quite small.
    THAT’s why nobody did it before,because nobody could.

As for why it took so long?
    Well she had to know what to wish for,and to know that you had to wish that magical girls don’t become witches she has to know that they do first,and she doesn’t learn that until episode 8.
    In episode 9 she angsts but by the end of the next episode that involves her she’s made her decision,so it took 3 episodes:
    EP8:learn that MG become witches
    EP9:angst a bit and try to seee if anything can be done to tearn a girl back to normal
    end of EP11:she’s decided on what her wish will be.

56. gandalf8 says:

Madoka’s wish was to stop any witches from being born with her own hands either from the past, present and future. Kyuubey may be contractually obligated to make any of their wishes to come true, but remember that being a mahou shoujo is a double edged sword. If for instance you were to make a wish to have an unlimited number of wishes and it is granted, remember that for every miracle, the world must balance out with misfortune, if according to the shows logic on entropy. So their wishes may in turn bite them back, and they fall into despair, and thus a witch will be born that will provide energy for the incubators.

If Madoka had simply wished to erase all the existence of witches, it may stop that threat, but as it is shown after Madoka rewrote the universe, the other creatures replaced the existence of witches that manifested from the despair and hatred of humans. So, the existence of mahou shoujo is still a necessity. But what Madoka’s wish did was that now a person who makes a contract to become a mahou shoujo will get one wish granted in exchange for their whole life dedicated to fighting. But if they ever fall into despair and their soul gem is turning into a grief seed, Madoka will be there to take away their soul gem and all the stored up despair, stop a witch from being born, and giving them a true death instead of turning into witches. And Madoka will carry their despair herself, so that it won’t affect the balance in the world.

@EXM- I think that in the rewritten universe, Homura’s wish when she contracted to become a mahou shoujo would be different from her original wish of wanting to save Madoka. In this new world, Madoka technically doesn’t exist, so Homura technically couldn’t have made that wish. But probably her new wish probably still had something to do with how she wanted to help Madoka protect the world that Madoka had sacrificed herself to save, which probably explains why she doesn’t seem to have that shield with the gears anymore, and instead her new weapon was the same as Madoka’s bow.

57. Mae says:

yeah, like the other said, only madoka could have been granted that wish

also, about why no one else thought of it;
    only very few mahou shoujos know about the turning into a witch part, and that too only after they became mahou shoujos. so they can’t wish for that when they have no knowledge of it, right?
    i’m pretty sure madoka was the only non mahou shoujo who was aware of this.

58. ren says:

@totoum and Mae

I’m gonna concur w/ totoum’s point, Kyuube distinctly notes the difficulty of the wish in the series and mentions that Madoka is probably the only girl to pull it off, suggesting her degree of potential power. Mae makes a good comment also that there are probably a very few select mahou shoujo who are even aware of the transformation to witches, and fewer individuals outside that circle still. So Madoka has been unique all along in her potential and position to pull this kind of act off.

Personally, i’m not a huge fan of “savior”-endings because of their tackiness, but I really applaud SHAFT because I think this was really tastefully done. Good job SHAFT, you’ve finally scored a series i’m willing to unequivocally call a masterpiece! =)

59. psgels psgels says:

Um, guys. I put up the message “I will delete any spoilers in the Shoutbox” for a reason. I know I missed a few things earlier on in the series that caused me to misinterpret a number of things in this episode, but there are still plenty of people who haven’t watched this episode yet!

Here are the comments that I deleted in order from newest to oldest::

Zi

Joe: @Zi, yeah, exactly. It was also possible because Homura wove multiple timelines so that they focused on Madoka; from that point, she was able to influence every possible timeline.

Joe: @ Dango: You should probably avoid this shoutbox for now. Just finish watching Madoka.

Zi: Because of the amount of misfortune and fate set on her, the limits of her wish increased. Didn’t Kyuubey explain that? It wasn’t a loophole in the first place.

totoum: tanz:in an interview Urobuchi gen stated he had never written anything about a cat,SHAFT just randomly put that in there as part of a troll OP,he himself asked shinbo “why is there a cat in the OP?”

gandalf8: @Tanz- the cat was probably just a red herring. It sure made a lot of people to make assumptions way of the mark from the real plot.

Tanz: btw. The cat in the opening of Madoka was never resolved =/

Joe: So it wasn’t really a plothole at all. Kyuubey probably just refused the truly impossible wishes.

Joe: psgels, it seems like you didn’t understand the Madoka ending. Madoka’s wish was only possible because of Homura’s time-travelling.

60. Firechick says:

I cried at this ending, it was sooooo awesome!

61. Shirencel says:

My eyes! They hurt so much from crying!! What a GODLY ending for a great mahou shoujo anime! ;_; I’m rarely satisfied with the way they usually end, but DAMN. man. maaan!

62. Doug says:

Following the timeline of continuity and the problems with time reversal, I have a theory about the walpurgis night. I believe that the witch in the walpurgis night is Homura’s witch. Homura is bound between all her versions just like Madoka is (there is even a scene of her tied up with her timelines just like Madoka). The Gears on the walpurgis night witch match those on and in Homura’s shield. Homura’s power is time travel, so her witch would have that same ability crossing timelines. This explains why no matter how more powerful Homura gets, she can not defeat the witch, because the witch is HER in a theoretical later timeline when she finally gives up and falls into despair. Kyubi said that it was her wish being focused on Madoka that allowed the timelines to all focus on a single Madoka joining them all. She did not make the wish focused on the walpurgis night witch, so it would not have grown in power, though both Madoka and Homura did, and were shown to have their timelines all bound up.

That is my take anyway, and lends an even darker aspect to everything.

63. Jesus, really? I don’t see that at all.

First, it’s not dying for ‘sins’, she didn’t die at all, it’s more like transcending her current level of existence. Her powers manifested to such a great deal due to the repeated attempts of Homura trying to alter reality to something more suitable (i.e. a reality where Madoka doesn’t die.) If anything she wished for the incubator to augment her already massive power into something even more: the ability to transcend time and negate the negative energy aggregated within a mahou shoujo’s time, given Homura already could transcend time, it’s not all that difficult to believe, given the suspension of disbelief at this point in the show.

From what I understand she negates the witch transformation by removing the corruption from their Soul Gems at the very moment they fall into despair, thus causing them to simply disappear instead of them turning into a monster.

My guess is, that Homura could never beat the final witch was the same reason Madoka kept growing in power; thus, no matter how many tricks she pulled, she could never finish it off.

Granted the notion of altering reality as we know it might seem like some sort of god-like power, but it’s really no more believable than Homura’s ability, it’s just a lot more powerful.

64. ren says:

@doug

Yea I had the same suspicion about Walpurgis being Homura’s witch form. Definitely would explain why she never could defeat it. The only thing that has my doubts is because of the death scene for the witch includes what looks like a soulgem looking part breaking and it doesn’t remotely resemble Homura’s

65. AzarelHikaru says:

Been a while since a Jesus Ending? Naturally. How many people actually pay attention to Jesus nowadays?

@Alexander Morou: Well, I think what psgels was going for is the concept of sacrifice for the salvation of all. And that’s how Madoka’s wish turned out.

66. AidanAK47 says:

I am conflicted.

On one hand this style of ending is something I have not seen in ages. It takes balls to pull off something like this. There are so many ways it can go wrong and come off a pretentious. However it managed to avoid this. It also gives the viewer a happy conclusion to a otherwise depressing series. Oh and just in case people wonder why any magical girl didn’t wish for what Madoka wished for before, Kyubey did mention that because of her power any wish would be granted no matter how absurd. Meaning, previous wishes had limits.

However on the other hand I don’t think this was the best way to end the series. I can think of another way that could have worked. This ending had too much hope and happiness. It left a bad taste. I would have preferred an ending where the cycle was broken but the kyubey system was still in effect and the dead magical girls remained dead.

I still really love the show. However, there were flaws.
    1: Kyubey infodumps were unnecessary. We didn’t need to know that Kyubey was an alien. We didn’t need to know about the counter entropy system. We didn’t need to know that past famous female figures were magical girls. It would have been much better for Kyubey to remain an unknown entity. The minute Kyubey revealed himself to be an alien he changed from manipulative dark demon to intergalactic energy salesman. This killed his interesting character. Should have just left it a mystery so we could paint him as whatever we wanted.
    2: When you think about it the characters were not really special. It was the situations they were placed in that really defined them. They wouldn’t be half as interesting to watch if placed in a different kind of story.
    3: Say what you will, I still think the cutout animated witches in the beginning just looked terribly out of place.
    4: Slow start-up. Madoka only got truly interesting at episode 3.Before that it was fairly stereotypical magical girl story. I understand why this was like this. Still I cannot ignore it.

So I am conflicted about my score on this. I say…..9/10. Maybe 8.5.

67. Kyubey says:

Double Faustus ending! Oh my god! It’s a double Faustus! Whoa, that’s so intense. One Faustus saves the other Faustus from her ill conceived wish.

I salute you, Shaft. 10/10. Best show of the 2010s so far.

68. Blocks says:

So what’s everyone’s interpretation on the very last part with Homura?

Did she suicide nuke?
    Is it really a post apocalyptic world?

Personally I think she’s spent ages fighting against the demons to protect Madoka’s wish and the crazy effects behind her is due to her growth in magical power. It might be showing that maybe Homura might gain enough strength as a mahou shoujo after an eternity of fighting to be able to once again see Madoka. Only issue with this is that she didn’t age at all. There has been no mention of magical girls having immortality.

And that repeating X few days over and over again to save person Y was totally stolen from Steins;Gate.

69. m says:

Blocks, it’s not a good idea to discuss plot details from works with currently running anime adaptations.

70. starblacks says:

I think there wasn’t any wishes like that before because the previous magical girls weren’t as powerful as madoka.

Kyubey said: “No matter how impossible your wish, it could probably get fulfilled” which implies that impossible wishes (e.g. rewriting space-time)are usually not fulfillable, but madoka is a special case because of homerun’s repeated time travelling which is why she is able to make that wish

tl;dr WISHES CAN’T ALWAYS BE FULFILLED BUT MADOKA IS A VERY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE

71. Taara535 says:

@AidanAK47 I have to say I disagree with your first two points. Kyubey was still a fascinating character throughout the series, because he represents what humans would act like if they only acted in rational self-interest. He’s absolutely fascinating because you as the viewer wanted to hate him and say he was evil, but at the heart of it, he was as “evil” as a gun, or a mortar, a rational force that only acts through its own self-interested will.

As for your second point, I firmly disagree again. The characters in themselves were quite interesting. Sayaka’s emotional and mental development throughout the series mirrors, to be honest, a soldier developing Post Dramatic Stress Disorder. It is so rare to see a character in any action show, anime or otherwise, actually be forced to undergo the real and apparent psychological stresses of battle. That alone makes her a quite unique and interesting character.

One last thing. A friend of mine thought up and interesting idea about what this whole series is about (beyond playing with the mahou shojou tropes). He suggested that the entire series is about the emergence of Marxism and its subsequent limitations in a capitalist world. You can actually go through every character and see this, and it shockingly fits. I would encourage you to consider it.

72. MAGNUM says:

It’s explained in the anime, or at least hinted at. There’s an energy requirement for making such wishes. Only Madoka has enough potential energy to make a reality warping wish as a result of Homura’s meddling.

73. Makoto says:

Just Wikied Walpurgis Night. Anime, you’re so obscure.

“Walpurgis Night (Walpurgisnacht) is a traditional spring festival on April 30th or the 1st of May in large parts of Central and Northern Europe. Its celebration is associated with dancing and with bonfires.”

“30th of April is pálení čarodějnic (“burning of the witches”) or čarodějnice in the Czech Republic, the day that winter is ceremonially brought to an end by the burning of rag and straw witches or just broomsticks on bonfires around the country. The festival offers Czechs the chance to eat, drink and be merry around a roaring fire.”

74. ID3 says:

Seeing as how Homura had Madoka’s bow at the ending, why wouldn’t all the power coming from her back be a representation of all the souls gathered from when Madoka cleansed the world of witches. In an alternate reality somewhere Madoka is holding on to all those soul gems, preventing the girls from becoming witches themselves. Think it would make more sense to assume Homura is tapping into that universe, and Madoka is granting her the power of all the Mahou Shoujous/Witches. Witches vs. Demons has a nice ring to it.

75. ebisu says:

Just to point a last comment, these final comments got the right interpretation out of the chapter. Note that making a wish and pulling it off are different matters. For me it’s more like Q extracts the soul gem and lets the mahou shoujo make a wish with all her energy, determined by the potential misfortune the character can face in the future (looks like it can be accumulated through linking parallel worlds with time-travelling).
    Madoka gets to God-level thanks to the solid determination she builds up through all the angst and knowledge, and finally her family support, so she can follow her wish to the bitter end (like a saint) avoiding forever the doubt that could make her wish fail.
    The demons are created by nature, and I think Homura will probably fight till the end of time while her will lasts and Madoka is there to avoid despair. Now getting grief seeds is a simple matter, every demon gives them like beach souvenirs and QB has a better harvest.

76. ebisu says:

Oh yeah, it was wonderful seeing Homura change her time-travel power to Madoka’s bow with its limitless potential. That means Homura’s pray changed probably to Madoka’s “to protect everyone” ^^

77. randomguy says:

SPOILER

Madoka didn’t intend to become a puella magi. It wasn’t until she learned Homura’s story and saw that Homura was in trouble that she thought of her wish. And the wish wasn’t obvious. Since there are no limits to wishes, Madoka’s wish itself was flawed since, well… spoilers. Great review. I just disagree about some things pointed out by the reviewer.

78. lubu says:

I actually think Madoka’s wish wasn’t ambitious enough, and I’m halfway convinced she just put everyone into a different realm of hell. Speculation aside, it was a fun ride.

79. Poofiemus says:

I agree, Madoka’s ability to pull off that wish was an exception to the rule, a case of all the circumstances aligning just right.

A magical girl’s wish potency, for instance, is clearly correlated to her potential power. Kyuubei basically says so himself, whenever he makes a pitch to Madoka; he’s always careful to include “for you” whenever telling her the grandness of the things he wishes for. He never makes proposals so grand in front of Sayaka, however, presumably because she doesn’t have nearly the power Madoka does. This is supported in the fact that Sayaka, despite having fairly grand notions of her obligation towards justice and the world, ends up with a relatively minor wish, and then exhibits a power level that causes even her to admit that she’s probably the weakest magically of the bunch.

Then, we get the factor that Kyuubei usually seems to pick girls in emotional distress, who are therefore more susceptible to his pitch and probably more likely to make relatively selfish and/or shortsighted wishes. (I suppose you might argue that Sayaka’s and Kyoko’s wishes were altruistic, but they were still far closer to being selfish than Madoka’s final wish, because they essentially wished for the sake of someone whose well-being would provide them a large degree of emotional satisfaction.) Kyoko and Mami were both in fairly desperate situations when they made their wishes, for instance, making it sensible that they’d be typical targets for Kyuubei. Also note that in episode 10 Sayaka doesn’t show up as a magical girl for a good two or three iterations, implying that she wasn’t even on Kyuubei’s call list originally. Given his series-timeline manipulation of Kyoko, it’s likely that he only contracted the relatively contented and weak-powered Sayaka as a lever for fostering the despair of a then-powerful Madoka.

Conversely, look at Madoka’s situation when Kyuubei first pitches to her. Kyoko even points it out in episode 9: Madoka is well-loved, by a family in a good financial situation, has a couple of really close friends, and currently neither has a boyfriend nor seems particularly interested in getting one. There isn’t much she’s really lacking, or anything that’s giving her emotional grief. So, she really has no reason to make a wish for much of the series.

Ergo, Madoka in the final timeline was in a position to fullfill three already rare requirements: 1. Knowledge of the entire magical girl/witch cycle while not actually being a magical girl yet. 2. Lacking in serious practical or emotional needs, leaving her wish free for altruism. And 3. Power completely disproportionate to her relatively contented life, thanks to Homura’s meddling. Even after thousands of years of human/incubator interaction, Madoka was probably the only one to have all three of these conditions met, and even then almost blew it on wishing to un-magical girl Sayaka in episode 8!

As for the bittersweet ending, I think it’s caused by a flaw in Madoka’s approach to the wish: she wished to keep magical girls from becoming witches, but that means that there would still have to be magical girls for her to save. Hence, in order to balance that out, there then had to be a need for magical girls, so the “curses” of people manifested as the magical beasts to fill that void. Even if she had wished to keep magical girls from making contracts, the Incubators would still have had the need for offsetting entropy. Only wishing away entropy would have prevented human/Incubator interaction, which in turn would likely mean wishing all energy out of the universe in the first place, thereby annihilating everything. And Madoka is far too loving and optimistic to wish for that.

80. Boy says:

The wish of Madoka alone had the potential to change the laws of nature, QB said so himself. A Jesus wish would be impossible for any girl with a reasonable amount of misfortune spun around her. Madoka is significant, explained at the beginning of episode 11.

Customize
@Anon68842, depends on the type. If it's the abusive drunk ignorant type then yeah, fuck em. But if we are talking the ordinary variety I say give them a break. They do more for you that you might think.
fuck them
we agrees that moms are bitches
And in Visual novel news, Dies Irae is getting a localisation. That's another one off the VN bucket list. I heard it was notoriously hard to translate. Though people are making a stink over it being all ages but I couldn't care less. All ages just means no shoehorned sex scenes and that's fine in my book.
@Topgavin, I never quite got that from Honoka but I prefer a character to be imperfect rather than perfect. Saints are boring and having a character always do right is predictable. While I somewhat understand the appeal, one thing that never sat right with me regarding "cute girls,cute things" shows is how utterly manufactured the characters are.
Started watching Love Live and it's made me wonder; is it better to have an mc that does things annoyingly wrong or satisfyingly wrong? Like, Yui from k-on does a lot wrong but it never leads to anything wrong or bad, but Honoka's rather selfish and ends up screwing things up for people. I know doing this is good for char. development but I honestly enjoy these shows more as moeblob peacefulness.
Hey
afgm
i did summer session so I have a midterm every two weeks
@afgm Midterms? Most university/college systems would be starting school right around this time.
afgm
Midterms have been slowing me down considerably haha
afgm
@K-off: yeah I did! thanks for that. I've been looking through the code stuff, just getting to know it.
reaLjustified
I think the rabbit character does the job
reaLjustified
I think the banner might look even better without the girl. Or make her tiny and off in the distance. I don't know, I'm not an artist by any stretch so that's just me.
Finally bought my first new car, a 2015 Altima, my used Sentra served me well for 3 years but damn was it a pain in the ass, and of course its trade in value was fuck-all. But luckily my credit is good enough for me to land a relatively low annual interest rate. Which is excellent because I need to shave off my remaining student loans to maximize my dti since I want to purchase a home
You might say the new banner will be...Friendtastic!
I'm fairly content with either the top one or the bottom one either way. Though the current banner does have the character standing on the left.
@Friend Looks great, and I prefer the bottom one. Maybe it's just me but the tree hugging the leftmost edge makes it look a little inclusive.
@Afgm Forgot to tell you but I did change your status a few days ago, hope you noticed it.
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 22 3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 22

Well the battle against the witches cult has started and…ended. I didn’t quite expect my words in the last episode review to turn out prophetic as Betelgeuse and his minions are taken out so quickly and anticlimactically considering how much this arc has built them up to be the main villain. Through Subaru seems to […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]