Posted by psgels on 22 April 2011 with categories: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

A Jesus Ending? It’s been a while since we had one of those.

Yeah, the loophole that the creators used was simply the fact that they never explicitly stated that there was any limit to the wish you could make. Madoka just wishes for a world without witches and Kyuubei… grants it. He doesn’t even seem to have the power to reject such a wish. And so, Madoka dies for our sins and completely changes the world. It neither was the best nor the worst ending of this season, but it didn’t hurt this series either: Madoka Magica remains a wonderful show to watch.

Now obviously the first question that came to my mind when Madoka made her wish was “why the heck didn’t people do this before?” I mean, we all asked this question before: instead of just wishing for simple wishes like resurrecting someone, why couldn’t you wish for an unlimited amount of wishes? Because this series refused to explain that, we all just assumed that Kyuubei would obviously refuse any wishes disadvantageous to him. And here, this episode showed that those wishes could have been possible.

My guess is that nobody made such a wish yet, because Kyuubei keeps targeting emotionally distraught teenaged girls who have just been hit by a major trauma. Yes, in a regular situation in which you’re just sitting in your comfy chair you can indeed try to bend these rules all you’d like, but I can imagine that Kyuubei always presents himself to girls who are desperate for one single wish, offering exactly what they need the most. I could be wrong here, but when you’re about to die in a car accident, you wouldn’t really try to be cheeky and think of a loop-holing wish from out of nowhere.

Madoka was the exception, because at the start of this series, she had no reason to be in despair: she didn’t know anything about Homura, and Kyuubei instead got greedy for her powers, and tried to convince her by tempting her.

And yet, I do fault Madoka for not thinking of this obvious solution any sooner. It’s probably the biggest flaw of this series: she pretty much spends 10,5 episodes angsting, only to snap out of things, go Jesus and wish all the witches away. In the end, the only way in which she really set herself apart is the way in which she refused to change into a mahou shoujo, even though this is a mahou shoujo series. At least the other characters in this series had really interesting backstories.

Oh, but that aftermath was really good. It showed that even though witches are gone, there are still other things that demand a mahou shoujo, and Kyuubei also isn’t gone, albeit completely different. It’s definitely interesting to see the different characters here in a world without Madoka or witches. Especially the latter lead to some interesting character development, but also the lack of Madoka in her family was really interesting.

Overall, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica definitely belongs in the top 3 series that premiered in the past Autumn and Winter Season, along with Hourou Musuko and Level E. Whether or not it was the best out of all of them though is very hard to say because they’re amazing at completely different things. Hourou Musuko also had an amazing second half, Level E had an absolutely fantastic beginning. Either way though, this was the best series that Shaft has made since Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei 1, and I really hope that future Shaft series will follow this series in its tracks: not just blindly copy Shinbo’s style, but also letting the writers really do what they want to do.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Anonymous says:

Blatant internet penis attempt much

2. AidanAK47 says:

Judgement day has come….By which I mean we can judge today if Madoka will enter the realms of a must watch masterpiece or instead be that anime which was really good except for the ending. I doubt Gen will let us down.

All hail Kyubey, gentlemen. All hail.

3. elianthos says:

@anonymous (how brave of you): pot.non-existent kettle.much?
    He was asked by the readers to do it, and it’s a wise precaution anyway.

yay the end finally :D, I’ll be glad to have watched it whatever the end.

4. Terra says:

Is everyone ready for this?!!?! I’ve been waiting for ages!!
    How do you think its going to end?
    Personally I think Madoka going to become a witch and bring everyone inside her barrier.. either that or homura is going to die.

5. Aysel says:

I think that madoka is going to stay human and to end the cycle of witches on earth, homura is going successfully defeat the walpurgis night, but by doing that she in turn will become a witch. Then like in the past when homura killed madoka, preventing her from becoming a witch, now madoka will kill homura from becoming a witch.

That way homura’s mission is complete, madoka doesn’t become a puella magica and the last of the witches are dead and done. But I guess that would be a kind of sad ending.

That’s what I think will happen though! Just from speculation!

6. swa says:

Burning with anticipation, yeah!

7. Kiarae says:

Wow, I can’t believe what I just watched! Or that it’s over…

8. Anca says:

Oh, that was EPIC.

9. Anca says:

Oh, that was EPIC.

10. Terra says:

I don’t know what just happened T___T seriously?!?! what just happened??!?!

11. Anca says:

Because of Homura’s constant time travels Madoka, not just Walpurgis, have been steadily growing stronger. When Homura was about to be defeated Madoka made a wish to erase all magical girls from history, which meant she had to rewrite the Universe itself. Which made her God. Homura and QB were somehow exempt from this, Homura because of her time/space travel powaa. Because Madoka became omniscient and omnipresent she remembered all of Homura’s iterations, but because she became God she wrote herself effectively out of the current universe. Homura now fights a new source of entropy Madoka added.

Or so I understood.

tl;dr MADOKA DIED FOR OUR SINS. ON GOOD FRIDAY, NO LESS.

12. Lexi says:

Thank god I watch it before your comment. All hail Madoka as our savior.

13. Anca says:

hence spoilers post XD

14. Gottis says:

Seriously. WHAT A WAY TO START OFF EASTER

15. Algent says:

I didn’t see it coming, that was EPIC.

16. elianthos says:

I was hoping for an ending along those lines. Yeeeeeeah XDD

17. elianthos says:

*comment got cut* the song in my head while reading spoilers and looking at screenshots of the end around the net http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_crD6Oqsw&feature=related

18. AFADFAS says:

Homura has become like the second most powerful being in the Universe =O

19. Lexi says:

btw did you see that Joan of Arc was a mahou shoujo

20. Chris says:

My eyes just had an orgasm. Yummy eye candy.

21. Risa says:

Madoka is jesus O.O I SEE IT NOW!!!!

22. Mae says:

THAT WAS SO EPIC.
    -spoiler-
    madoka is god. XD

i like to think of it as she doesn’t die. she just exists everywhere. ^^

and lexi, so was cleopatra. XD

23. m says:

If I have a complaint, it’s really that if you’re in a position to alter the rules of the game you could pick a lot better rules than what we end up with, which leaves us with a bittersweet outcome solely at the author’s whim. I have no qualms with ceding that this is always the case, but usually the writer doesn’t present his character a free choice at the infinite flavor sundae bar when he intends for his character to get the turd sundae.

Still, for the author in question, this is pretty much a Disney ending. I was expecting something crueler.

24. Risa says:

m: So was I tbh. I’m a huge fan of angsty endings because I find that they have a way of provoking me to reflect on myself. This ending fell short because it tried to give us an at least semi happy ending. I won’t complain though because I think that although it wasn’t the best ending, it was good enough. I did enjoy watching it. Had the ending been more angsty, it’d get a 10 from me but as it is, it gets a 9.

Overall though, it was a great anime and one that I will probably end up watching over and over again. It joins the likes of Katanagatari and Kino no Tabi in my list of favorite anime and anime that I will watch over and over again and never get sick of.

The ending, in my opinion, was also there to set up for a season 2. Madoka repeatedly hinted that she would meet Homura again and there as long as Homura doesn’t give up hope, then anything is possible. Tatsuya also remembers Madoka somewhat, even though he thinks she’s his imaginary friend, which leads me to think that she wasn’t totally erased from the world. Lastly, the new demons that were introduced went unexplained too. I think that if there is to be a sequel, the story will either star Homura chan as the main chara or will introduce a whole new magical girl to the story.

25. Ragna says:

Damn that was epic… with that ending, Madoka has officially become an instant classic.

-spoilers-

Sure, the “become god and change everything” trope has been used time and again, but the execution here is stunningly good.

They could have explained what happened to Homura better though, but I guess they just wanted to leave it open.

26. Emily says:

The way I see it, Homura kept a piece of Madoka with herself, both in memory, and in a physical sense (the ribbon). Because she kept a part of Madoka with her, she was able to manifest some of Madoka’s legendary power. The black wings Homura had at the very end looked a lot like the despair which Madoka prevented from overtaking the Earth. Homura carries that despair with her now.

The reason the reorganized universe still has manifest demons is because Madoka, although a God, received her universal powers through a single wish. Her wish was to erase witches before they were born. Her wish was not to erase all evil, all sadness, from ever occurring. In short, her wish was imperfect, and thus so is the world born of her wish.

27. yodaz says:

-major spoilers-

So they actually set up for this earlier in the ep when madoka was talking to kyubey. Kyubey mentions how having wishes granted is normally impossible and obviously would have consequences. Previously those consequences were that they would turn into witches and “curse” people once their “hope” died. In the last ep Homura says that “we still have curses”; indicating that the price of the wish are those curses and that those curses simply have a new vessel (those things that she’s fighting). In other words, the author set up an ending where good is fighting evil, hope vs “anti hope”, aka “demons”, aka “curses”. It was all fantastically done, though I could do with everyone not sprouting Jesus references every time something like this comes up.

28. anon234 says:

Very good, although “epic” isn’t the right word to use. Unless you’re talking about LoGH, the Illiad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid, the Journey to the West, or the Mahabharata, then the word “epic” doesn’t apply. That said, this is one of the best show’s I’ve seen in a long time.

29. alexvoda says:

I’m gonna say this now and hope I’m first.
    Madoka isn’t just the NGE of the mahou shojo genre, it is also the TTGL.
    Bravo Urobuchi Gen!

30. Janette says:

I find it interesting how we were lead to believe there was no option but for a tragic ending, and then despite everything, get a semi-happy ending. I feel like I can’t stop getting trolled by Gen.

31. Anno says:

Madoka died on Friday.
    And will come back to life on Sunday.

32. Kiarae says:

Finally got it subbed and was quite happy with that ending. Not only was it a good was to “end” such a series, but it was a nice way to set up further ones (given how popular it is). I know some prequels are in the works, and love the depth that this series can delve into!

Also, YEAH on Kyubee not remembering. Makes it more tolerable to see him at the end. He’s still terrible, but less so…

I am still a bit confused on what happened with Sayaka though.

33. some loser says:

awesome series though one question. the girl at 5:00… did it remind anyone of kemono no souja erin?

34. Drew says:

For those confused about the ending:

Madoka sacrifices herself so Magical Girls don’t turn into witches. However, the despair that is created by the existence of Magical Girls needs an outlet and now manifests as Demons.

Kyoko kills herself so her existence doesn’t continue to spawn demons. Mami’s solemn statement that this is the future for all Magical Girls indicates the system is essentially the same; the only caveat is that instead of turning into witches directly, they form demons indirectly. Same vicious circle in that they are fighting things their very existence creates. The irony and lols.

Ultimately, Madoka’s sacrifice was meaningless. Gen gave us a masterpiece, complete with a despair-filled ending. Series rating: 12/10. 10 points for excellence and a 2 bonus points for no panty shots.

35. South says:

“Fast forward who knows how many years into the future and the world looks to be pretty much destroyed with Homura left against some large demons. She springs to attack them. The end.”

Oh my, this was the only part that I was like WTH about. But since Madoka says not to lose hope…haha, dunno, I really loved the ending but I wish that last NGE part would be out at times.

36. Qwerty1 says:

@ Drew

Not quite… The magical girls don’t create the demons. It’s the natural despair of humans, remember that witches fed off the stuff to gain more power. Without witches around the stuff was just left to fester forming a lifeform of it’s own which the incubators harness as a far lower output but apparently far more abundant form of energy.

Sayaka’s death was likely due to a particularly rough fight where she ended up putting too much of her power into her final attack. In the new world though instead of turning into a witch at the moment of transformation the magical girl meets Omni-Madoka who destroys the negative energy and the magical girls seem to just fade away.

37. Alec says:

fcuk yeah!!! I knew it was goin to be epic! I didnt expect it to be that epic!…

seems like Shinbo plans on making a slice of life series Madoka. All I can say is: “Garbage! Thats absoulute garbage!”.

38. Qwerty1 says:

I think people are misinterpreting some things. The final scene with Homura, people keep referring to it as a post apocalyptic scene or the end of existence etc. It’s just one of the barriers that the demons set up similar to witches. Just look at how the world transitions back to normal around the girls after the Madoka/Sayaka scene. They were in some sort of barrier and when they defeated the demons the space dissolved. It’s just as likely that this hellscape Homura was in was a barrier.

I actually think that the final scene is supposed to represent Homura’s “death”. If you consider how all of that energy is just bursting out of her and that the objects floating around in the energy have a serious “witch” vibe going for them it’s likely we’re seeing Homura using up all the energy she has sine she’s fighting alone and on the verge of becoming a witch.

This is why she suddenly hears Madoka’s voice since her becoming a witch means she’s going to meet the Omni-Madoka and then disappear like all of the girls in the earlier montage. Madoka told her before disappearing that they would see each other again, and that is the point when they’re guaranteed to meet.

It makes the ending even more bitter sweet if you think about it that way.

39. Nomus says:

Not bad, but definitely not good either. It was a nice yurish ending, but nothing unexpected, while almost all previous eps were filled with things you wouldn’t expect. Interesting dialogs, deconstruction of genre and here we have apocalyptic\happy ending N212351273 And the art wasn’t good either. The last witch and those demons were not a 1/100 as creative as previous witches.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but this series deserved them. What it didn’t deserve is such an ending.

40. Ryouichi says:

Somehow, this ended just like how my OC in my daydreams did, except he harbors all the darkness instead of destroying them, and is going insane. ^o^. But yeah, bittersweet endings suck but always draw me back in.

41. slivermoon says:

Am I the only one who thought it was really sad that Madoka’s mom didn’t remember her? She was consistently there before or after a really bad/pivotal scene occurred. There was so much love there that it was heartbreaking to see it erased. To me at least.

42. Unico says:

Reminds me of the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars ending. And it seems Japanese storytellers have an obsession with creating stories about ridding the world of despair / sadness / chaos. Knowing full well that humans are emotional beings and can easily do bad as they can do good.

Madoka Magica is a nicely done short series, and an interesting version about a powered up girl taking on something bigger than herself. However, the ending felt like anime I have already seen just with different characters and some slight rearrangement on how the main character will accomplish their task (can’t say goal).

Basically it is: “the world sucks, i wish i could change it! but sometimes the world is awesome! so i don’t want to change it that much, just enough so i don’t cry about how hopeless it is all the time… because i can accept its faults and welcome its good moments.” *smiley face / burst into sparkles*

Everyone has the “I wish I were God” or “I wish I could question said being” fantasy.

43. Petit says:

@ Unico

Couldn’t have said it better myself. But that’s the hard truth isn’t it? Humans are so extremely conceited and yet selfless to the point of absurdity at the same time. Think the Japanese found that that idea the most intriguing and just wanted to play off of that in many ways. Hollywood wouldn’t dare make such films because most Americans don’t want that kind of stuff. We like self-made men and definite, happy resolutions.

44. betawatcher says:

Beautiful ending. (a happy ending wouldn’t have suited this series anyway…)

45. mds says:

whoa….truly fascinating.

ALL HAIL MADOKA!!!

now where’s the review? can’t wait for it!

46. gandalf8 says:

I think I’ll save my opinions after psgels real post of the episodes. Just want to state that I’m really satisfied with the ending.

47. Tan-Tan says:

I guess it was an okay ending. I don’t agree it is amazing at all though. The emotional impact is superb, but the conclusion is simply lacking.

48. Anon says:

Madoka is the invisible pink unicorn!!!

49. ChobitsChi says:

Simply great.
    I wasn’t disappointed the least although I was a bit worried after having read so many comments saying the ending was disappointing. I think those people just got their expectations up too high.

50. nrad says:

I wont say it’s satisfactory. I wont say its awesome either. I’ll just say it’s a very interesting conclusion; in many different ways that is…..

Just had one strange thought come to mind: this series might as well have been a prologue to the happy-go-lucky mahou shoujou series that we have seen all this time…..

51. Tan-Tan says:

The ending was a safe ending. Guess they got scared of messing it up.

52. EXM says:

Just a question. Did Homura also become a god? Her wish transcended time, but she can never save Madoka, but Madoka’s wish negates her from ever become a wtich, but at the same time, it prevents her from ever having her wish granted, how does this work?

53. Perrin4869 says:

Kyuubei DID state that he can grant Madoka almost any wish because of her latent power, meaning that not everyone could make such a wish. It sounds like a reasonable rule, at least to me, I buy it.

54. Tomato says:

Yeah, I recall Kyubei saying something along the lines of “Your wish is near impossible! Though it might just be possible because of all the world lines converging on you” implying that normally you wouldn’t be able to pull off that wish.

55. totoum says:

“And here, this episode showed that those wishes could have been possible.”

WHOA WHOA WHOA,hold it right there psgels
    those wishes,and especialy the one we got this episode, are possible to Madoka and Madoka only,no other girl in history could have pulled this off.
    QB’s system will grant a wish that’s proportional to the girl’s power,If the girl doesn’t have the power then QB can’t grant the wish.
    Madoka is an annomaly,because Homura time traveled countless times Madoka has accumulated more and more power as each timeline has gone by to the point that she now has an amount that’s unprecedented.
    The odds of something like that acuring before in history are quite small.
    THAT’s why nobody did it before,because nobody could.

As for why it took so long?
    Well she had to know what to wish for,and to know that you had to wish that magical girls don’t become witches she has to know that they do first,and she doesn’t learn that until episode 8.
    In episode 9 she angsts but by the end of the next episode that involves her she’s made her decision,so it took 3 episodes:
    EP8:learn that MG become witches
    EP9:angst a bit and try to seee if anything can be done to tearn a girl back to normal
    end of EP11:she’s decided on what her wish will be.

56. gandalf8 says:

Madoka’s wish was to stop any witches from being born with her own hands either from the past, present and future. Kyuubey may be contractually obligated to make any of their wishes to come true, but remember that being a mahou shoujo is a double edged sword. If for instance you were to make a wish to have an unlimited number of wishes and it is granted, remember that for every miracle, the world must balance out with misfortune, if according to the shows logic on entropy. So their wishes may in turn bite them back, and they fall into despair, and thus a witch will be born that will provide energy for the incubators.

If Madoka had simply wished to erase all the existence of witches, it may stop that threat, but as it is shown after Madoka rewrote the universe, the other creatures replaced the existence of witches that manifested from the despair and hatred of humans. So, the existence of mahou shoujo is still a necessity. But what Madoka’s wish did was that now a person who makes a contract to become a mahou shoujo will get one wish granted in exchange for their whole life dedicated to fighting. But if they ever fall into despair and their soul gem is turning into a grief seed, Madoka will be there to take away their soul gem and all the stored up despair, stop a witch from being born, and giving them a true death instead of turning into witches. And Madoka will carry their despair herself, so that it won’t affect the balance in the world.

@EXM- I think that in the rewritten universe, Homura’s wish when she contracted to become a mahou shoujo would be different from her original wish of wanting to save Madoka. In this new world, Madoka technically doesn’t exist, so Homura technically couldn’t have made that wish. But probably her new wish probably still had something to do with how she wanted to help Madoka protect the world that Madoka had sacrificed herself to save, which probably explains why she doesn’t seem to have that shield with the gears anymore, and instead her new weapon was the same as Madoka’s bow.

57. Mae says:

yeah, like the other said, only madoka could have been granted that wish

also, about why no one else thought of it;
    only very few mahou shoujos know about the turning into a witch part, and that too only after they became mahou shoujos. so they can’t wish for that when they have no knowledge of it, right?
    i’m pretty sure madoka was the only non mahou shoujo who was aware of this.

58. ren says:

@totoum and Mae

I’m gonna concur w/ totoum’s point, Kyuube distinctly notes the difficulty of the wish in the series and mentions that Madoka is probably the only girl to pull it off, suggesting her degree of potential power. Mae makes a good comment also that there are probably a very few select mahou shoujo who are even aware of the transformation to witches, and fewer individuals outside that circle still. So Madoka has been unique all along in her potential and position to pull this kind of act off.

Personally, i’m not a huge fan of “savior”-endings because of their tackiness, but I really applaud SHAFT because I think this was really tastefully done. Good job SHAFT, you’ve finally scored a series i’m willing to unequivocally call a masterpiece! =)

59. psgels psgels says:

Um, guys. I put up the message “I will delete any spoilers in the Shoutbox” for a reason. I know I missed a few things earlier on in the series that caused me to misinterpret a number of things in this episode, but there are still plenty of people who haven’t watched this episode yet!

Here are the comments that I deleted in order from newest to oldest::

Zi

Joe: @Zi, yeah, exactly. It was also possible because Homura wove multiple timelines so that they focused on Madoka; from that point, she was able to influence every possible timeline.

Joe: @ Dango: You should probably avoid this shoutbox for now. Just finish watching Madoka.

Zi: Because of the amount of misfortune and fate set on her, the limits of her wish increased. Didn’t Kyuubey explain that? It wasn’t a loophole in the first place.

totoum: tanz:in an interview Urobuchi gen stated he had never written anything about a cat,SHAFT just randomly put that in there as part of a troll OP,he himself asked shinbo “why is there a cat in the OP?”

gandalf8: @Tanz- the cat was probably just a red herring. It sure made a lot of people to make assumptions way of the mark from the real plot.

Tanz: btw. The cat in the opening of Madoka was never resolved =/

Joe: So it wasn’t really a plothole at all. Kyuubey probably just refused the truly impossible wishes.

Joe: psgels, it seems like you didn’t understand the Madoka ending. Madoka’s wish was only possible because of Homura’s time-travelling.

60. Firechick says:

I cried at this ending, it was sooooo awesome!

61. Shirencel says:

My eyes! They hurt so much from crying!! What a GODLY ending for a great mahou shoujo anime! ;_; I’m rarely satisfied with the way they usually end, but DAMN. man. maaan!

62. Doug says:

Following the timeline of continuity and the problems with time reversal, I have a theory about the walpurgis night. I believe that the witch in the walpurgis night is Homura’s witch. Homura is bound between all her versions just like Madoka is (there is even a scene of her tied up with her timelines just like Madoka). The Gears on the walpurgis night witch match those on and in Homura’s shield. Homura’s power is time travel, so her witch would have that same ability crossing timelines. This explains why no matter how more powerful Homura gets, she can not defeat the witch, because the witch is HER in a theoretical later timeline when she finally gives up and falls into despair. Kyubi said that it was her wish being focused on Madoka that allowed the timelines to all focus on a single Madoka joining them all. She did not make the wish focused on the walpurgis night witch, so it would not have grown in power, though both Madoka and Homura did, and were shown to have their timelines all bound up.

That is my take anyway, and lends an even darker aspect to everything.

63. Jesus, really? I don’t see that at all.

First, it’s not dying for ‘sins’, she didn’t die at all, it’s more like transcending her current level of existence. Her powers manifested to such a great deal due to the repeated attempts of Homura trying to alter reality to something more suitable (i.e. a reality where Madoka doesn’t die.) If anything she wished for the incubator to augment her already massive power into something even more: the ability to transcend time and negate the negative energy aggregated within a mahou shoujo’s time, given Homura already could transcend time, it’s not all that difficult to believe, given the suspension of disbelief at this point in the show.

From what I understand she negates the witch transformation by removing the corruption from their Soul Gems at the very moment they fall into despair, thus causing them to simply disappear instead of them turning into a monster.

My guess is, that Homura could never beat the final witch was the same reason Madoka kept growing in power; thus, no matter how many tricks she pulled, she could never finish it off.

Granted the notion of altering reality as we know it might seem like some sort of god-like power, but it’s really no more believable than Homura’s ability, it’s just a lot more powerful.

64. ren says:

@doug

Yea I had the same suspicion about Walpurgis being Homura’s witch form. Definitely would explain why she never could defeat it. The only thing that has my doubts is because of the death scene for the witch includes what looks like a soulgem looking part breaking and it doesn’t remotely resemble Homura’s

65. AzarelHikaru says:

Been a while since a Jesus Ending? Naturally. How many people actually pay attention to Jesus nowadays?

@Alexander Morou: Well, I think what psgels was going for is the concept of sacrifice for the salvation of all. And that’s how Madoka’s wish turned out.

66. AidanAK47 says:

I am conflicted.

On one hand this style of ending is something I have not seen in ages. It takes balls to pull off something like this. There are so many ways it can go wrong and come off a pretentious. However it managed to avoid this. It also gives the viewer a happy conclusion to a otherwise depressing series. Oh and just in case people wonder why any magical girl didn’t wish for what Madoka wished for before, Kyubey did mention that because of her power any wish would be granted no matter how absurd. Meaning, previous wishes had limits.

However on the other hand I don’t think this was the best way to end the series. I can think of another way that could have worked. This ending had too much hope and happiness. It left a bad taste. I would have preferred an ending where the cycle was broken but the kyubey system was still in effect and the dead magical girls remained dead.

I still really love the show. However, there were flaws.
    1: Kyubey infodumps were unnecessary. We didn’t need to know that Kyubey was an alien. We didn’t need to know about the counter entropy system. We didn’t need to know that past famous female figures were magical girls. It would have been much better for Kyubey to remain an unknown entity. The minute Kyubey revealed himself to be an alien he changed from manipulative dark demon to intergalactic energy salesman. This killed his interesting character. Should have just left it a mystery so we could paint him as whatever we wanted.
    2: When you think about it the characters were not really special. It was the situations they were placed in that really defined them. They wouldn’t be half as interesting to watch if placed in a different kind of story.
    3: Say what you will, I still think the cutout animated witches in the beginning just looked terribly out of place.
    4: Slow start-up. Madoka only got truly interesting at episode 3.Before that it was fairly stereotypical magical girl story. I understand why this was like this. Still I cannot ignore it.

So I am conflicted about my score on this. I say…..9/10. Maybe 8.5.

67. Kyubey says:

Double Faustus ending! Oh my god! It’s a double Faustus! Whoa, that’s so intense. One Faustus saves the other Faustus from her ill conceived wish.

I salute you, Shaft. 10/10. Best show of the 2010s so far.

68. Blocks says:

So what’s everyone’s interpretation on the very last part with Homura?

Did she suicide nuke?
    Is it really a post apocalyptic world?

Personally I think she’s spent ages fighting against the demons to protect Madoka’s wish and the crazy effects behind her is due to her growth in magical power. It might be showing that maybe Homura might gain enough strength as a mahou shoujo after an eternity of fighting to be able to once again see Madoka. Only issue with this is that she didn’t age at all. There has been no mention of magical girls having immortality.

And that repeating X few days over and over again to save person Y was totally stolen from Steins;Gate.

69. m says:

Blocks, it’s not a good idea to discuss plot details from works with currently running anime adaptations.

70. starblacks says:

I think there wasn’t any wishes like that before because the previous magical girls weren’t as powerful as madoka.

Kyubey said: “No matter how impossible your wish, it could probably get fulfilled” which implies that impossible wishes (e.g. rewriting space-time)are usually not fulfillable, but madoka is a special case because of homerun’s repeated time travelling which is why she is able to make that wish

tl;dr WISHES CAN’T ALWAYS BE FULFILLED BUT MADOKA IS A VERY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE

71. Taara535 says:

@AidanAK47 I have to say I disagree with your first two points. Kyubey was still a fascinating character throughout the series, because he represents what humans would act like if they only acted in rational self-interest. He’s absolutely fascinating because you as the viewer wanted to hate him and say he was evil, but at the heart of it, he was as “evil” as a gun, or a mortar, a rational force that only acts through its own self-interested will.

As for your second point, I firmly disagree again. The characters in themselves were quite interesting. Sayaka’s emotional and mental development throughout the series mirrors, to be honest, a soldier developing Post Dramatic Stress Disorder. It is so rare to see a character in any action show, anime or otherwise, actually be forced to undergo the real and apparent psychological stresses of battle. That alone makes her a quite unique and interesting character.

One last thing. A friend of mine thought up and interesting idea about what this whole series is about (beyond playing with the mahou shojou tropes). He suggested that the entire series is about the emergence of Marxism and its subsequent limitations in a capitalist world. You can actually go through every character and see this, and it shockingly fits. I would encourage you to consider it.

72. MAGNUM says:

It’s explained in the anime, or at least hinted at. There’s an energy requirement for making such wishes. Only Madoka has enough potential energy to make a reality warping wish as a result of Homura’s meddling.

73. Makoto says:

Just Wikied Walpurgis Night. Anime, you’re so obscure.

“Walpurgis Night (Walpurgisnacht) is a traditional spring festival on April 30th or the 1st of May in large parts of Central and Northern Europe. Its celebration is associated with dancing and with bonfires.”

“30th of April is pálení čarodějnic (“burning of the witches”) or čarodějnice in the Czech Republic, the day that winter is ceremonially brought to an end by the burning of rag and straw witches or just broomsticks on bonfires around the country. The festival offers Czechs the chance to eat, drink and be merry around a roaring fire.”

74. ID3 says:

Seeing as how Homura had Madoka’s bow at the ending, why wouldn’t all the power coming from her back be a representation of all the souls gathered from when Madoka cleansed the world of witches. In an alternate reality somewhere Madoka is holding on to all those soul gems, preventing the girls from becoming witches themselves. Think it would make more sense to assume Homura is tapping into that universe, and Madoka is granting her the power of all the Mahou Shoujous/Witches. Witches vs. Demons has a nice ring to it.

75. ebisu says:

Just to point a last comment, these final comments got the right interpretation out of the chapter. Note that making a wish and pulling it off are different matters. For me it’s more like Q extracts the soul gem and lets the mahou shoujo make a wish with all her energy, determined by the potential misfortune the character can face in the future (looks like it can be accumulated through linking parallel worlds with time-travelling).
    Madoka gets to God-level thanks to the solid determination she builds up through all the angst and knowledge, and finally her family support, so she can follow her wish to the bitter end (like a saint) avoiding forever the doubt that could make her wish fail.
    The demons are created by nature, and I think Homura will probably fight till the end of time while her will lasts and Madoka is there to avoid despair. Now getting grief seeds is a simple matter, every demon gives them like beach souvenirs and QB has a better harvest.

76. ebisu says:

Oh yeah, it was wonderful seeing Homura change her time-travel power to Madoka’s bow with its limitless potential. That means Homura’s pray changed probably to Madoka’s “to protect everyone” ^^

77. randomguy says:

SPOILER

Madoka didn’t intend to become a puella magi. It wasn’t until she learned Homura’s story and saw that Homura was in trouble that she thought of her wish. And the wish wasn’t obvious. Since there are no limits to wishes, Madoka’s wish itself was flawed since, well… spoilers. Great review. I just disagree about some things pointed out by the reviewer.

78. lubu says:

I actually think Madoka’s wish wasn’t ambitious enough, and I’m halfway convinced she just put everyone into a different realm of hell. Speculation aside, it was a fun ride.

79. Poofiemus says:

I agree, Madoka’s ability to pull off that wish was an exception to the rule, a case of all the circumstances aligning just right.

A magical girl’s wish potency, for instance, is clearly correlated to her potential power. Kyuubei basically says so himself, whenever he makes a pitch to Madoka; he’s always careful to include “for you” whenever telling her the grandness of the things he wishes for. He never makes proposals so grand in front of Sayaka, however, presumably because she doesn’t have nearly the power Madoka does. This is supported in the fact that Sayaka, despite having fairly grand notions of her obligation towards justice and the world, ends up with a relatively minor wish, and then exhibits a power level that causes even her to admit that she’s probably the weakest magically of the bunch.

Then, we get the factor that Kyuubei usually seems to pick girls in emotional distress, who are therefore more susceptible to his pitch and probably more likely to make relatively selfish and/or shortsighted wishes. (I suppose you might argue that Sayaka’s and Kyoko’s wishes were altruistic, but they were still far closer to being selfish than Madoka’s final wish, because they essentially wished for the sake of someone whose well-being would provide them a large degree of emotional satisfaction.) Kyoko and Mami were both in fairly desperate situations when they made their wishes, for instance, making it sensible that they’d be typical targets for Kyuubei. Also note that in episode 10 Sayaka doesn’t show up as a magical girl for a good two or three iterations, implying that she wasn’t even on Kyuubei’s call list originally. Given his series-timeline manipulation of Kyoko, it’s likely that he only contracted the relatively contented and weak-powered Sayaka as a lever for fostering the despair of a then-powerful Madoka.

Conversely, look at Madoka’s situation when Kyuubei first pitches to her. Kyoko even points it out in episode 9: Madoka is well-loved, by a family in a good financial situation, has a couple of really close friends, and currently neither has a boyfriend nor seems particularly interested in getting one. There isn’t much she’s really lacking, or anything that’s giving her emotional grief. So, she really has no reason to make a wish for much of the series.

Ergo, Madoka in the final timeline was in a position to fullfill three already rare requirements: 1. Knowledge of the entire magical girl/witch cycle while not actually being a magical girl yet. 2. Lacking in serious practical or emotional needs, leaving her wish free for altruism. And 3. Power completely disproportionate to her relatively contented life, thanks to Homura’s meddling. Even after thousands of years of human/incubator interaction, Madoka was probably the only one to have all three of these conditions met, and even then almost blew it on wishing to un-magical girl Sayaka in episode 8!

As for the bittersweet ending, I think it’s caused by a flaw in Madoka’s approach to the wish: she wished to keep magical girls from becoming witches, but that means that there would still have to be magical girls for her to save. Hence, in order to balance that out, there then had to be a need for magical girls, so the “curses” of people manifested as the magical beasts to fill that void. Even if she had wished to keep magical girls from making contracts, the Incubators would still have had the need for offsetting entropy. Only wishing away entropy would have prevented human/Incubator interaction, which in turn would likely mean wishing all energy out of the universe in the first place, thereby annihilating everything. And Madoka is far too loving and optimistic to wish for that.

80. Boy says:

The wish of Madoka alone had the potential to change the laws of nature, QB said so himself. A Jesus wish would be impossible for any girl with a reasonable amount of misfortune spun around her. Madoka is significant, explained at the beginning of episode 11.

Customize
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.
Friend
Most of the time they meant no harm, I think it's always about getting recognition. They quickly take them down after I send them a polite email, and I let them save their ego without smearing them on their page.
afgm
(ok maybe a little fault should go to them lol)
afgm
@Friend: That sucks, but its definitely understandable. People can be pretty thoughtless at times (no fault to them of course).
afgm
tiger mask did make it into the upper quartile though, which is surprising
Friend
@afgm I don't have a large internet presence with my work exactly because I've had situations with theft on Pinterest. For work, I just carry USBs with my portfolio pieces in them :/
Friend
@Aramus Heya, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the fell image won't be available openly unless for commercial purposes, but otherwise feel free to contact me in my business email! :)
afgm
ah you know what? I read the title Time Bokan 24 and thought it had 24 votes x)
@afgm: Time Bokan receives 0 vote the last time I checked it. I'm more surprised that people love Haikyuu that much
Such a shame because I enjoy writing it a lot

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 91/100

re-zero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-25-3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 25

Well it’s over and what a ride it was. Betelgeuse is defeated, everyone is saved and Subaru gets to confess his love to Emilia to leave the series off on a hopeful note. Only thing that would have made it better is more Rem but let us be frank, there is never enough Rem. I […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 11

This week things escalated pretty quickly. Our helpless MC Shang Bu Huan shots himself in the foot pretty quickly. I already suspected it’s a matter of time before his scam will be exploited by Mie Tian Hai, but I surely never would have guessed it’s that early. Shang Bu Huan, hilariously, is just plain terrible […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373