Posted by psgels on 22 April 2011 with categories: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

A Jesus Ending? It’s been a while since we had one of those.

Yeah, the loophole that the creators used was simply the fact that they never explicitly stated that there was any limit to the wish you could make. Madoka just wishes for a world without witches and Kyuubei… grants it. He doesn’t even seem to have the power to reject such a wish. And so, Madoka dies for our sins and completely changes the world. It neither was the best nor the worst ending of this season, but it didn’t hurt this series either: Madoka Magica remains a wonderful show to watch.

Now obviously the first question that came to my mind when Madoka made her wish was “why the heck didn’t people do this before?” I mean, we all asked this question before: instead of just wishing for simple wishes like resurrecting someone, why couldn’t you wish for an unlimited amount of wishes? Because this series refused to explain that, we all just assumed that Kyuubei would obviously refuse any wishes disadvantageous to him. And here, this episode showed that those wishes could have been possible.

My guess is that nobody made such a wish yet, because Kyuubei keeps targeting emotionally distraught teenaged girls who have just been hit by a major trauma. Yes, in a regular situation in which you’re just sitting in your comfy chair you can indeed try to bend these rules all you’d like, but I can imagine that Kyuubei always presents himself to girls who are desperate for one single wish, offering exactly what they need the most. I could be wrong here, but when you’re about to die in a car accident, you wouldn’t really try to be cheeky and think of a loop-holing wish from out of nowhere.

Madoka was the exception, because at the start of this series, she had no reason to be in despair: she didn’t know anything about Homura, and Kyuubei instead got greedy for her powers, and tried to convince her by tempting her.

And yet, I do fault Madoka for not thinking of this obvious solution any sooner. It’s probably the biggest flaw of this series: she pretty much spends 10,5 episodes angsting, only to snap out of things, go Jesus and wish all the witches away. In the end, the only way in which she really set herself apart is the way in which she refused to change into a mahou shoujo, even though this is a mahou shoujo series. At least the other characters in this series had really interesting backstories.

Oh, but that aftermath was really good. It showed that even though witches are gone, there are still other things that demand a mahou shoujo, and Kyuubei also isn’t gone, albeit completely different. It’s definitely interesting to see the different characters here in a world without Madoka or witches. Especially the latter lead to some interesting character development, but also the lack of Madoka in her family was really interesting.

Overall, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica definitely belongs in the top 3 series that premiered in the past Autumn and Winter Season, along with Hourou Musuko and Level E. Whether or not it was the best out of all of them though is very hard to say because they’re amazing at completely different things. Hourou Musuko also had an amazing second half, Level E had an absolutely fantastic beginning. Either way though, this was the best series that Shaft has made since Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei 1, and I really hope that future Shaft series will follow this series in its tracks: not just blindly copy Shinbo’s style, but also letting the writers really do what they want to do.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Anonymous says:

Blatant internet penis attempt much

2. AidanAK47 says:

Judgement day has come….By which I mean we can judge today if Madoka will enter the realms of a must watch masterpiece or instead be that anime which was really good except for the ending. I doubt Gen will let us down.

All hail Kyubey, gentlemen. All hail.

3. elianthos says:

@anonymous (how brave of you): pot.non-existent kettle.much?
    He was asked by the readers to do it, and it’s a wise precaution anyway.

yay the end finally :D, I’ll be glad to have watched it whatever the end.

4. Terra says:

Is everyone ready for this?!!?! I’ve been waiting for ages!!
    How do you think its going to end?
    Personally I think Madoka going to become a witch and bring everyone inside her barrier.. either that or homura is going to die.

5. Aysel says:

I think that madoka is going to stay human and to end the cycle of witches on earth, homura is going successfully defeat the walpurgis night, but by doing that she in turn will become a witch. Then like in the past when homura killed madoka, preventing her from becoming a witch, now madoka will kill homura from becoming a witch.

That way homura’s mission is complete, madoka doesn’t become a puella magica and the last of the witches are dead and done. But I guess that would be a kind of sad ending.

That’s what I think will happen though! Just from speculation!

6. swa says:

Burning with anticipation, yeah!

7. Kiarae says:

Wow, I can’t believe what I just watched! Or that it’s over…

8. Anca says:

Oh, that was EPIC.

9. Anca says:

Oh, that was EPIC.

10. Terra says:

I don’t know what just happened T___T seriously?!?! what just happened??!?!

11. Anca says:

Because of Homura’s constant time travels Madoka, not just Walpurgis, have been steadily growing stronger. When Homura was about to be defeated Madoka made a wish to erase all magical girls from history, which meant she had to rewrite the Universe itself. Which made her God. Homura and QB were somehow exempt from this, Homura because of her time/space travel powaa. Because Madoka became omniscient and omnipresent she remembered all of Homura’s iterations, but because she became God she wrote herself effectively out of the current universe. Homura now fights a new source of entropy Madoka added.

Or so I understood.

tl;dr MADOKA DIED FOR OUR SINS. ON GOOD FRIDAY, NO LESS.

12. Lexi says:

Thank god I watch it before your comment. All hail Madoka as our savior.

13. Anca says:

hence spoilers post XD

14. Gottis says:

Seriously. WHAT A WAY TO START OFF EASTER

15. Algent says:

I didn’t see it coming, that was EPIC.

16. elianthos says:

I was hoping for an ending along those lines. Yeeeeeeah XDD

17. elianthos says:

*comment got cut* the song in my head while reading spoilers and looking at screenshots of the end around the net http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_crD6Oqsw&feature=related

18. AFADFAS says:

Homura has become like the second most powerful being in the Universe =O

19. Lexi says:

btw did you see that Joan of Arc was a mahou shoujo

20. Chris says:

My eyes just had an orgasm. Yummy eye candy.

21. Risa says:

Madoka is jesus O.O I SEE IT NOW!!!!

22. Mae says:

THAT WAS SO EPIC.
    -spoiler-
    madoka is god. XD

i like to think of it as she doesn’t die. she just exists everywhere. ^^

and lexi, so was cleopatra. XD

23. m says:

If I have a complaint, it’s really that if you’re in a position to alter the rules of the game you could pick a lot better rules than what we end up with, which leaves us with a bittersweet outcome solely at the author’s whim. I have no qualms with ceding that this is always the case, but usually the writer doesn’t present his character a free choice at the infinite flavor sundae bar when he intends for his character to get the turd sundae.

Still, for the author in question, this is pretty much a Disney ending. I was expecting something crueler.

24. Risa says:

m: So was I tbh. I’m a huge fan of angsty endings because I find that they have a way of provoking me to reflect on myself. This ending fell short because it tried to give us an at least semi happy ending. I won’t complain though because I think that although it wasn’t the best ending, it was good enough. I did enjoy watching it. Had the ending been more angsty, it’d get a 10 from me but as it is, it gets a 9.

Overall though, it was a great anime and one that I will probably end up watching over and over again. It joins the likes of Katanagatari and Kino no Tabi in my list of favorite anime and anime that I will watch over and over again and never get sick of.

The ending, in my opinion, was also there to set up for a season 2. Madoka repeatedly hinted that she would meet Homura again and there as long as Homura doesn’t give up hope, then anything is possible. Tatsuya also remembers Madoka somewhat, even though he thinks she’s his imaginary friend, which leads me to think that she wasn’t totally erased from the world. Lastly, the new demons that were introduced went unexplained too. I think that if there is to be a sequel, the story will either star Homura chan as the main chara or will introduce a whole new magical girl to the story.

25. Ragna says:

Damn that was epic… with that ending, Madoka has officially become an instant classic.

-spoilers-

Sure, the “become god and change everything” trope has been used time and again, but the execution here is stunningly good.

They could have explained what happened to Homura better though, but I guess they just wanted to leave it open.

26. Emily says:

The way I see it, Homura kept a piece of Madoka with herself, both in memory, and in a physical sense (the ribbon). Because she kept a part of Madoka with her, she was able to manifest some of Madoka’s legendary power. The black wings Homura had at the very end looked a lot like the despair which Madoka prevented from overtaking the Earth. Homura carries that despair with her now.

The reason the reorganized universe still has manifest demons is because Madoka, although a God, received her universal powers through a single wish. Her wish was to erase witches before they were born. Her wish was not to erase all evil, all sadness, from ever occurring. In short, her wish was imperfect, and thus so is the world born of her wish.

27. yodaz says:

-major spoilers-

So they actually set up for this earlier in the ep when madoka was talking to kyubey. Kyubey mentions how having wishes granted is normally impossible and obviously would have consequences. Previously those consequences were that they would turn into witches and “curse” people once their “hope” died. In the last ep Homura says that “we still have curses”; indicating that the price of the wish are those curses and that those curses simply have a new vessel (those things that she’s fighting). In other words, the author set up an ending where good is fighting evil, hope vs “anti hope”, aka “demons”, aka “curses”. It was all fantastically done, though I could do with everyone not sprouting Jesus references every time something like this comes up.

28. anon234 says:

Very good, although “epic” isn’t the right word to use. Unless you’re talking about LoGH, the Illiad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid, the Journey to the West, or the Mahabharata, then the word “epic” doesn’t apply. That said, this is one of the best show’s I’ve seen in a long time.

29. alexvoda says:

I’m gonna say this now and hope I’m first.
    Madoka isn’t just the NGE of the mahou shojo genre, it is also the TTGL.
    Bravo Urobuchi Gen!

30. Janette says:

I find it interesting how we were lead to believe there was no option but for a tragic ending, and then despite everything, get a semi-happy ending. I feel like I can’t stop getting trolled by Gen.

31. Anno says:

Madoka died on Friday.
    And will come back to life on Sunday.

32. Kiarae says:

Finally got it subbed and was quite happy with that ending. Not only was it a good was to “end” such a series, but it was a nice way to set up further ones (given how popular it is). I know some prequels are in the works, and love the depth that this series can delve into!

Also, YEAH on Kyubee not remembering. Makes it more tolerable to see him at the end. He’s still terrible, but less so…

I am still a bit confused on what happened with Sayaka though.

33. some loser says:

awesome series though one question. the girl at 5:00… did it remind anyone of kemono no souja erin?

34. Drew says:

For those confused about the ending:

Madoka sacrifices herself so Magical Girls don’t turn into witches. However, the despair that is created by the existence of Magical Girls needs an outlet and now manifests as Demons.

Kyoko kills herself so her existence doesn’t continue to spawn demons. Mami’s solemn statement that this is the future for all Magical Girls indicates the system is essentially the same; the only caveat is that instead of turning into witches directly, they form demons indirectly. Same vicious circle in that they are fighting things their very existence creates. The irony and lols.

Ultimately, Madoka’s sacrifice was meaningless. Gen gave us a masterpiece, complete with a despair-filled ending. Series rating: 12/10. 10 points for excellence and a 2 bonus points for no panty shots.

35. South says:

“Fast forward who knows how many years into the future and the world looks to be pretty much destroyed with Homura left against some large demons. She springs to attack them. The end.”

Oh my, this was the only part that I was like WTH about. But since Madoka says not to lose hope…haha, dunno, I really loved the ending but I wish that last NGE part would be out at times.

36. Qwerty1 says:

@ Drew

Not quite… The magical girls don’t create the demons. It’s the natural despair of humans, remember that witches fed off the stuff to gain more power. Without witches around the stuff was just left to fester forming a lifeform of it’s own which the incubators harness as a far lower output but apparently far more abundant form of energy.

Sayaka’s death was likely due to a particularly rough fight where she ended up putting too much of her power into her final attack. In the new world though instead of turning into a witch at the moment of transformation the magical girl meets Omni-Madoka who destroys the negative energy and the magical girls seem to just fade away.

37. Alec says:

fcuk yeah!!! I knew it was goin to be epic! I didnt expect it to be that epic!…

seems like Shinbo plans on making a slice of life series Madoka. All I can say is: “Garbage! Thats absoulute garbage!”.

38. Qwerty1 says:

I think people are misinterpreting some things. The final scene with Homura, people keep referring to it as a post apocalyptic scene or the end of existence etc. It’s just one of the barriers that the demons set up similar to witches. Just look at how the world transitions back to normal around the girls after the Madoka/Sayaka scene. They were in some sort of barrier and when they defeated the demons the space dissolved. It’s just as likely that this hellscape Homura was in was a barrier.

I actually think that the final scene is supposed to represent Homura’s “death”. If you consider how all of that energy is just bursting out of her and that the objects floating around in the energy have a serious “witch” vibe going for them it’s likely we’re seeing Homura using up all the energy she has sine she’s fighting alone and on the verge of becoming a witch.

This is why she suddenly hears Madoka’s voice since her becoming a witch means she’s going to meet the Omni-Madoka and then disappear like all of the girls in the earlier montage. Madoka told her before disappearing that they would see each other again, and that is the point when they’re guaranteed to meet.

It makes the ending even more bitter sweet if you think about it that way.

39. Nomus says:

Not bad, but definitely not good either. It was a nice yurish ending, but nothing unexpected, while almost all previous eps were filled with things you wouldn’t expect. Interesting dialogs, deconstruction of genre and here we have apocalyptic\happy ending N212351273 And the art wasn’t good either. The last witch and those demons were not a 1/100 as creative as previous witches.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but this series deserved them. What it didn’t deserve is such an ending.

40. Ryouichi says:

Somehow, this ended just like how my OC in my daydreams did, except he harbors all the darkness instead of destroying them, and is going insane. ^o^. But yeah, bittersweet endings suck but always draw me back in.

41. slivermoon says:

Am I the only one who thought it was really sad that Madoka’s mom didn’t remember her? She was consistently there before or after a really bad/pivotal scene occurred. There was so much love there that it was heartbreaking to see it erased. To me at least.

42. Unico says:

Reminds me of the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars ending. And it seems Japanese storytellers have an obsession with creating stories about ridding the world of despair / sadness / chaos. Knowing full well that humans are emotional beings and can easily do bad as they can do good.

Madoka Magica is a nicely done short series, and an interesting version about a powered up girl taking on something bigger than herself. However, the ending felt like anime I have already seen just with different characters and some slight rearrangement on how the main character will accomplish their task (can’t say goal).

Basically it is: “the world sucks, i wish i could change it! but sometimes the world is awesome! so i don’t want to change it that much, just enough so i don’t cry about how hopeless it is all the time… because i can accept its faults and welcome its good moments.” *smiley face / burst into sparkles*

Everyone has the “I wish I were God” or “I wish I could question said being” fantasy.

43. Petit says:

@ Unico

Couldn’t have said it better myself. But that’s the hard truth isn’t it? Humans are so extremely conceited and yet selfless to the point of absurdity at the same time. Think the Japanese found that that idea the most intriguing and just wanted to play off of that in many ways. Hollywood wouldn’t dare make such films because most Americans don’t want that kind of stuff. We like self-made men and definite, happy resolutions.

44. betawatcher says:

Beautiful ending. (a happy ending wouldn’t have suited this series anyway…)

45. mds says:

whoa….truly fascinating.

ALL HAIL MADOKA!!!

now where’s the review? can’t wait for it!

46. gandalf8 says:

I think I’ll save my opinions after psgels real post of the episodes. Just want to state that I’m really satisfied with the ending.

47. Tan-Tan says:

I guess it was an okay ending. I don’t agree it is amazing at all though. The emotional impact is superb, but the conclusion is simply lacking.

48. Anon says:

Madoka is the invisible pink unicorn!!!

49. ChobitsChi says:

Simply great.
    I wasn’t disappointed the least although I was a bit worried after having read so many comments saying the ending was disappointing. I think those people just got their expectations up too high.

50. nrad says:

I wont say it’s satisfactory. I wont say its awesome either. I’ll just say it’s a very interesting conclusion; in many different ways that is…..

Just had one strange thought come to mind: this series might as well have been a prologue to the happy-go-lucky mahou shoujou series that we have seen all this time…..

51. Tan-Tan says:

The ending was a safe ending. Guess they got scared of messing it up.

52. EXM says:

Just a question. Did Homura also become a god? Her wish transcended time, but she can never save Madoka, but Madoka’s wish negates her from ever become a wtich, but at the same time, it prevents her from ever having her wish granted, how does this work?

53. Perrin4869 says:

Kyuubei DID state that he can grant Madoka almost any wish because of her latent power, meaning that not everyone could make such a wish. It sounds like a reasonable rule, at least to me, I buy it.

54. Tomato says:

Yeah, I recall Kyubei saying something along the lines of “Your wish is near impossible! Though it might just be possible because of all the world lines converging on you” implying that normally you wouldn’t be able to pull off that wish.

55. totoum says:

“And here, this episode showed that those wishes could have been possible.”

WHOA WHOA WHOA,hold it right there psgels
    those wishes,and especialy the one we got this episode, are possible to Madoka and Madoka only,no other girl in history could have pulled this off.
    QB’s system will grant a wish that’s proportional to the girl’s power,If the girl doesn’t have the power then QB can’t grant the wish.
    Madoka is an annomaly,because Homura time traveled countless times Madoka has accumulated more and more power as each timeline has gone by to the point that she now has an amount that’s unprecedented.
    The odds of something like that acuring before in history are quite small.
    THAT’s why nobody did it before,because nobody could.

As for why it took so long?
    Well she had to know what to wish for,and to know that you had to wish that magical girls don’t become witches she has to know that they do first,and she doesn’t learn that until episode 8.
    In episode 9 she angsts but by the end of the next episode that involves her she’s made her decision,so it took 3 episodes:
    EP8:learn that MG become witches
    EP9:angst a bit and try to seee if anything can be done to tearn a girl back to normal
    end of EP11:she’s decided on what her wish will be.

56. gandalf8 says:

Madoka’s wish was to stop any witches from being born with her own hands either from the past, present and future. Kyuubey may be contractually obligated to make any of their wishes to come true, but remember that being a mahou shoujo is a double edged sword. If for instance you were to make a wish to have an unlimited number of wishes and it is granted, remember that for every miracle, the world must balance out with misfortune, if according to the shows logic on entropy. So their wishes may in turn bite them back, and they fall into despair, and thus a witch will be born that will provide energy for the incubators.

If Madoka had simply wished to erase all the existence of witches, it may stop that threat, but as it is shown after Madoka rewrote the universe, the other creatures replaced the existence of witches that manifested from the despair and hatred of humans. So, the existence of mahou shoujo is still a necessity. But what Madoka’s wish did was that now a person who makes a contract to become a mahou shoujo will get one wish granted in exchange for their whole life dedicated to fighting. But if they ever fall into despair and their soul gem is turning into a grief seed, Madoka will be there to take away their soul gem and all the stored up despair, stop a witch from being born, and giving them a true death instead of turning into witches. And Madoka will carry their despair herself, so that it won’t affect the balance in the world.

@EXM- I think that in the rewritten universe, Homura’s wish when she contracted to become a mahou shoujo would be different from her original wish of wanting to save Madoka. In this new world, Madoka technically doesn’t exist, so Homura technically couldn’t have made that wish. But probably her new wish probably still had something to do with how she wanted to help Madoka protect the world that Madoka had sacrificed herself to save, which probably explains why she doesn’t seem to have that shield with the gears anymore, and instead her new weapon was the same as Madoka’s bow.

57. Mae says:

yeah, like the other said, only madoka could have been granted that wish

also, about why no one else thought of it;
    only very few mahou shoujos know about the turning into a witch part, and that too only after they became mahou shoujos. so they can’t wish for that when they have no knowledge of it, right?
    i’m pretty sure madoka was the only non mahou shoujo who was aware of this.

58. ren says:

@totoum and Mae

I’m gonna concur w/ totoum’s point, Kyuube distinctly notes the difficulty of the wish in the series and mentions that Madoka is probably the only girl to pull it off, suggesting her degree of potential power. Mae makes a good comment also that there are probably a very few select mahou shoujo who are even aware of the transformation to witches, and fewer individuals outside that circle still. So Madoka has been unique all along in her potential and position to pull this kind of act off.

Personally, i’m not a huge fan of “savior”-endings because of their tackiness, but I really applaud SHAFT because I think this was really tastefully done. Good job SHAFT, you’ve finally scored a series i’m willing to unequivocally call a masterpiece! =)

59. psgels psgels says:

Um, guys. I put up the message “I will delete any spoilers in the Shoutbox” for a reason. I know I missed a few things earlier on in the series that caused me to misinterpret a number of things in this episode, but there are still plenty of people who haven’t watched this episode yet!

Here are the comments that I deleted in order from newest to oldest::

Zi

Joe: @Zi, yeah, exactly. It was also possible because Homura wove multiple timelines so that they focused on Madoka; from that point, she was able to influence every possible timeline.

Joe: @ Dango: You should probably avoid this shoutbox for now. Just finish watching Madoka.

Zi: Because of the amount of misfortune and fate set on her, the limits of her wish increased. Didn’t Kyuubey explain that? It wasn’t a loophole in the first place.

totoum: tanz:in an interview Urobuchi gen stated he had never written anything about a cat,SHAFT just randomly put that in there as part of a troll OP,he himself asked shinbo “why is there a cat in the OP?”

gandalf8: @Tanz- the cat was probably just a red herring. It sure made a lot of people to make assumptions way of the mark from the real plot.

Tanz: btw. The cat in the opening of Madoka was never resolved =/

Joe: So it wasn’t really a plothole at all. Kyuubey probably just refused the truly impossible wishes.

Joe: psgels, it seems like you didn’t understand the Madoka ending. Madoka’s wish was only possible because of Homura’s time-travelling.

60. Firechick says:

I cried at this ending, it was sooooo awesome!

61. Shirencel says:

My eyes! They hurt so much from crying!! What a GODLY ending for a great mahou shoujo anime! ;_; I’m rarely satisfied with the way they usually end, but DAMN. man. maaan!

62. Doug says:

Following the timeline of continuity and the problems with time reversal, I have a theory about the walpurgis night. I believe that the witch in the walpurgis night is Homura’s witch. Homura is bound between all her versions just like Madoka is (there is even a scene of her tied up with her timelines just like Madoka). The Gears on the walpurgis night witch match those on and in Homura’s shield. Homura’s power is time travel, so her witch would have that same ability crossing timelines. This explains why no matter how more powerful Homura gets, she can not defeat the witch, because the witch is HER in a theoretical later timeline when she finally gives up and falls into despair. Kyubi said that it was her wish being focused on Madoka that allowed the timelines to all focus on a single Madoka joining them all. She did not make the wish focused on the walpurgis night witch, so it would not have grown in power, though both Madoka and Homura did, and were shown to have their timelines all bound up.

That is my take anyway, and lends an even darker aspect to everything.

63. Jesus, really? I don’t see that at all.

First, it’s not dying for ‘sins’, she didn’t die at all, it’s more like transcending her current level of existence. Her powers manifested to such a great deal due to the repeated attempts of Homura trying to alter reality to something more suitable (i.e. a reality where Madoka doesn’t die.) If anything she wished for the incubator to augment her already massive power into something even more: the ability to transcend time and negate the negative energy aggregated within a mahou shoujo’s time, given Homura already could transcend time, it’s not all that difficult to believe, given the suspension of disbelief at this point in the show.

From what I understand she negates the witch transformation by removing the corruption from their Soul Gems at the very moment they fall into despair, thus causing them to simply disappear instead of them turning into a monster.

My guess is, that Homura could never beat the final witch was the same reason Madoka kept growing in power; thus, no matter how many tricks she pulled, she could never finish it off.

Granted the notion of altering reality as we know it might seem like some sort of god-like power, but it’s really no more believable than Homura’s ability, it’s just a lot more powerful.

64. ren says:

@doug

Yea I had the same suspicion about Walpurgis being Homura’s witch form. Definitely would explain why she never could defeat it. The only thing that has my doubts is because of the death scene for the witch includes what looks like a soulgem looking part breaking and it doesn’t remotely resemble Homura’s

65. AzarelHikaru says:

Been a while since a Jesus Ending? Naturally. How many people actually pay attention to Jesus nowadays?

@Alexander Morou: Well, I think what psgels was going for is the concept of sacrifice for the salvation of all. And that’s how Madoka’s wish turned out.

66. AidanAK47 says:

I am conflicted.

On one hand this style of ending is something I have not seen in ages. It takes balls to pull off something like this. There are so many ways it can go wrong and come off a pretentious. However it managed to avoid this. It also gives the viewer a happy conclusion to a otherwise depressing series. Oh and just in case people wonder why any magical girl didn’t wish for what Madoka wished for before, Kyubey did mention that because of her power any wish would be granted no matter how absurd. Meaning, previous wishes had limits.

However on the other hand I don’t think this was the best way to end the series. I can think of another way that could have worked. This ending had too much hope and happiness. It left a bad taste. I would have preferred an ending where the cycle was broken but the kyubey system was still in effect and the dead magical girls remained dead.

I still really love the show. However, there were flaws.
    1: Kyubey infodumps were unnecessary. We didn’t need to know that Kyubey was an alien. We didn’t need to know about the counter entropy system. We didn’t need to know that past famous female figures were magical girls. It would have been much better for Kyubey to remain an unknown entity. The minute Kyubey revealed himself to be an alien he changed from manipulative dark demon to intergalactic energy salesman. This killed his interesting character. Should have just left it a mystery so we could paint him as whatever we wanted.
    2: When you think about it the characters were not really special. It was the situations they were placed in that really defined them. They wouldn’t be half as interesting to watch if placed in a different kind of story.
    3: Say what you will, I still think the cutout animated witches in the beginning just looked terribly out of place.
    4: Slow start-up. Madoka only got truly interesting at episode 3.Before that it was fairly stereotypical magical girl story. I understand why this was like this. Still I cannot ignore it.

So I am conflicted about my score on this. I say…..9/10. Maybe 8.5.

67. Kyubey says:

Double Faustus ending! Oh my god! It’s a double Faustus! Whoa, that’s so intense. One Faustus saves the other Faustus from her ill conceived wish.

I salute you, Shaft. 10/10. Best show of the 2010s so far.

68. Blocks says:

So what’s everyone’s interpretation on the very last part with Homura?

Did she suicide nuke?
    Is it really a post apocalyptic world?

Personally I think she’s spent ages fighting against the demons to protect Madoka’s wish and the crazy effects behind her is due to her growth in magical power. It might be showing that maybe Homura might gain enough strength as a mahou shoujo after an eternity of fighting to be able to once again see Madoka. Only issue with this is that she didn’t age at all. There has been no mention of magical girls having immortality.

And that repeating X few days over and over again to save person Y was totally stolen from Steins;Gate.

69. m says:

Blocks, it’s not a good idea to discuss plot details from works with currently running anime adaptations.

70. starblacks says:

I think there wasn’t any wishes like that before because the previous magical girls weren’t as powerful as madoka.

Kyubey said: “No matter how impossible your wish, it could probably get fulfilled” which implies that impossible wishes (e.g. rewriting space-time)are usually not fulfillable, but madoka is a special case because of homerun’s repeated time travelling which is why she is able to make that wish

tl;dr WISHES CAN’T ALWAYS BE FULFILLED BUT MADOKA IS A VERY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE

71. Taara535 says:

@AidanAK47 I have to say I disagree with your first two points. Kyubey was still a fascinating character throughout the series, because he represents what humans would act like if they only acted in rational self-interest. He’s absolutely fascinating because you as the viewer wanted to hate him and say he was evil, but at the heart of it, he was as “evil” as a gun, or a mortar, a rational force that only acts through its own self-interested will.

As for your second point, I firmly disagree again. The characters in themselves were quite interesting. Sayaka’s emotional and mental development throughout the series mirrors, to be honest, a soldier developing Post Dramatic Stress Disorder. It is so rare to see a character in any action show, anime or otherwise, actually be forced to undergo the real and apparent psychological stresses of battle. That alone makes her a quite unique and interesting character.

One last thing. A friend of mine thought up and interesting idea about what this whole series is about (beyond playing with the mahou shojou tropes). He suggested that the entire series is about the emergence of Marxism and its subsequent limitations in a capitalist world. You can actually go through every character and see this, and it shockingly fits. I would encourage you to consider it.

72. MAGNUM says:

It’s explained in the anime, or at least hinted at. There’s an energy requirement for making such wishes. Only Madoka has enough potential energy to make a reality warping wish as a result of Homura’s meddling.

73. Makoto says:

Just Wikied Walpurgis Night. Anime, you’re so obscure.

“Walpurgis Night (Walpurgisnacht) is a traditional spring festival on April 30th or the 1st of May in large parts of Central and Northern Europe. Its celebration is associated with dancing and with bonfires.”

“30th of April is pálení čarodějnic (“burning of the witches”) or čarodějnice in the Czech Republic, the day that winter is ceremonially brought to an end by the burning of rag and straw witches or just broomsticks on bonfires around the country. The festival offers Czechs the chance to eat, drink and be merry around a roaring fire.”

74. ID3 says:

Seeing as how Homura had Madoka’s bow at the ending, why wouldn’t all the power coming from her back be a representation of all the souls gathered from when Madoka cleansed the world of witches. In an alternate reality somewhere Madoka is holding on to all those soul gems, preventing the girls from becoming witches themselves. Think it would make more sense to assume Homura is tapping into that universe, and Madoka is granting her the power of all the Mahou Shoujous/Witches. Witches vs. Demons has a nice ring to it.

75. ebisu says:

Just to point a last comment, these final comments got the right interpretation out of the chapter. Note that making a wish and pulling it off are different matters. For me it’s more like Q extracts the soul gem and lets the mahou shoujo make a wish with all her energy, determined by the potential misfortune the character can face in the future (looks like it can be accumulated through linking parallel worlds with time-travelling).
    Madoka gets to God-level thanks to the solid determination she builds up through all the angst and knowledge, and finally her family support, so she can follow her wish to the bitter end (like a saint) avoiding forever the doubt that could make her wish fail.
    The demons are created by nature, and I think Homura will probably fight till the end of time while her will lasts and Madoka is there to avoid despair. Now getting grief seeds is a simple matter, every demon gives them like beach souvenirs and QB has a better harvest.

76. ebisu says:

Oh yeah, it was wonderful seeing Homura change her time-travel power to Madoka’s bow with its limitless potential. That means Homura’s pray changed probably to Madoka’s “to protect everyone” ^^

77. randomguy says:

SPOILER

Madoka didn’t intend to become a puella magi. It wasn’t until she learned Homura’s story and saw that Homura was in trouble that she thought of her wish. And the wish wasn’t obvious. Since there are no limits to wishes, Madoka’s wish itself was flawed since, well… spoilers. Great review. I just disagree about some things pointed out by the reviewer.

78. lubu says:

I actually think Madoka’s wish wasn’t ambitious enough, and I’m halfway convinced she just put everyone into a different realm of hell. Speculation aside, it was a fun ride.

79. Poofiemus says:

I agree, Madoka’s ability to pull off that wish was an exception to the rule, a case of all the circumstances aligning just right.

A magical girl’s wish potency, for instance, is clearly correlated to her potential power. Kyuubei basically says so himself, whenever he makes a pitch to Madoka; he’s always careful to include “for you” whenever telling her the grandness of the things he wishes for. He never makes proposals so grand in front of Sayaka, however, presumably because she doesn’t have nearly the power Madoka does. This is supported in the fact that Sayaka, despite having fairly grand notions of her obligation towards justice and the world, ends up with a relatively minor wish, and then exhibits a power level that causes even her to admit that she’s probably the weakest magically of the bunch.

Then, we get the factor that Kyuubei usually seems to pick girls in emotional distress, who are therefore more susceptible to his pitch and probably more likely to make relatively selfish and/or shortsighted wishes. (I suppose you might argue that Sayaka’s and Kyoko’s wishes were altruistic, but they were still far closer to being selfish than Madoka’s final wish, because they essentially wished for the sake of someone whose well-being would provide them a large degree of emotional satisfaction.) Kyoko and Mami were both in fairly desperate situations when they made their wishes, for instance, making it sensible that they’d be typical targets for Kyuubei. Also note that in episode 10 Sayaka doesn’t show up as a magical girl for a good two or three iterations, implying that she wasn’t even on Kyuubei’s call list originally. Given his series-timeline manipulation of Kyoko, it’s likely that he only contracted the relatively contented and weak-powered Sayaka as a lever for fostering the despair of a then-powerful Madoka.

Conversely, look at Madoka’s situation when Kyuubei first pitches to her. Kyoko even points it out in episode 9: Madoka is well-loved, by a family in a good financial situation, has a couple of really close friends, and currently neither has a boyfriend nor seems particularly interested in getting one. There isn’t much she’s really lacking, or anything that’s giving her emotional grief. So, she really has no reason to make a wish for much of the series.

Ergo, Madoka in the final timeline was in a position to fullfill three already rare requirements: 1. Knowledge of the entire magical girl/witch cycle while not actually being a magical girl yet. 2. Lacking in serious practical or emotional needs, leaving her wish free for altruism. And 3. Power completely disproportionate to her relatively contented life, thanks to Homura’s meddling. Even after thousands of years of human/incubator interaction, Madoka was probably the only one to have all three of these conditions met, and even then almost blew it on wishing to un-magical girl Sayaka in episode 8!

As for the bittersweet ending, I think it’s caused by a flaw in Madoka’s approach to the wish: she wished to keep magical girls from becoming witches, but that means that there would still have to be magical girls for her to save. Hence, in order to balance that out, there then had to be a need for magical girls, so the “curses” of people manifested as the magical beasts to fill that void. Even if she had wished to keep magical girls from making contracts, the Incubators would still have had the need for offsetting entropy. Only wishing away entropy would have prevented human/Incubator interaction, which in turn would likely mean wishing all energy out of the universe in the first place, thereby annihilating everything. And Madoka is far too loving and optimistic to wish for that.

80. Boy says:

The wish of Madoka alone had the potential to change the laws of nature, QB said so himself. A Jesus wish would be impossible for any girl with a reasonable amount of misfortune spun around her. Madoka is significant, explained at the beginning of episode 11.

Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Spiritpact, Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Chain Chronicle – Haecceitas no Hikari

Spiritpact Short Synopsis: A boy is killed by a truck and finds himself teamed up with an exorcist as a ghost. Sorry China, by all means keep trying but this isn’t going to top Japanese animation any time soon. So what’s wrong? Well the animation is fairly basic, the characters are annoying and the comedy […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100