Posted by psgels on 31 May 2011 with categories: Monthly Summaries

This really is a season of building up: half of the shows are carefully preparing for later, so who knows what kind of season it’ll eventually become? Let me say this though: there are a lot of shows that really take good use of their premises. It’s perhaps not the best spring season we’ve ever had so far, but it is a very imaginative and diverse one. Oh, and the fact that there are so many shows that focus on adults also helps.

OVA Releases
#3 – Valkyria Chronicles III – (7,25/10)

Ah, what a shame. This one was really disappointing. I have to give credits for the creators in the way that they did make their main characters far, FAR less annoying than the characters of the TV-series… but they’re completely flat. Every character just has one side and that’s it. There’s way too much of them for just 24 minutes and they’re alll really poorly acted and fleshed out. The production values are also rather bad, and without knowing overall this just gets one big ‘meh’.
#2 – Norageki – (8,25/10)

This was only 20 minutes long, but it was really well told here. It’s a well paced mystery story with quite a nice ending. The characters, while not having any depth, still were interesting to follow as well.
#1 – Armored Trooper Votoms – Alone Again – (8,5/10)

Thankfully this actually turned out well. The story of Votoms got an excellent conclusion after all. Especially the end was great, but the entire OVA was based around a great idea that definitely fills in some of the gaps that the Gen-ei hen left open. This is simple but effective storytelling like it should be, and I’m glad that it really contributed to the Votoms Franchise again, unlike the abominations that were Case;Irvine and Finder.

#25 (14) – Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – (7/10) – I dropped this show. It had potential at the beginning, but the endless discussions about nothing are badly drawn out and not interesting at all. Not to mention that the series was getting more annoying by the minute.
#24 (23) – A-Channel – (7,5/10) – In the end I dropped this. The biggest reason for this was that it was getting really repetitive; the characters just kept comparing boob sizes and they just kept talking about the same things.
#23 (16) – Sekai-Ichi Hatsukoi – (7,5/10) – It’s a shame, but I just had to drop this after the fifth episode because I just couldn’t get through it. It suddenly introduced a bunch of completely new characters, but they were the example of how ridiculously forced shounen ai can get. It had no good characterization whatsoever and unlike the first four episodes, this was just there to get guys to kiss and feel embarrassed.
#22 (21) – Hen Zemi – (7,5/10) – Hmm, Hen Zemi has become a bit boring. It’s unfortunately as I feared: the current season is just a list of gross things, without the energy or timing of the OVA. Because of that, it just has a shock factor, and when that is gone I see few reasons to actually come back to this, unfortunately.
#21 (24) – The World God Only Knows – (7,75/10) – I think that because of the hype surrounding this series before it aired gave me the complete wrong expectations about this series. For a laid-back story that aims for modest entertainment… I guess that it could have done a lot worse. It still hasn’t grabbed me, though, but I do admit that the past arc was the best so far.
#20 () – Inazuma Eleven – (7,75/10) – Four episodes in, and I strangely enough haven’t dropped this one yet. It has something that keeps me watching. The characters are all boring and the animation also isn’t that impressive, but the energy with which it presents itself is commendable. Seriously, this is really dark for a kids’ show, and it actually created quite a bit of an atmosphere that retained my interest.
#19 (27) – Astaroote no Omocha – (7,75/10) – Here’s the thing with Astarotte no Omocha: it sounds like a really bad premise, but it’s surprisingly heartfelt. It’s nothing special, but the relationship between parent and child is surprisingly well done here. I originally dropped this, but after picking it back up I have to admit that it has surprisingly enjoyable characters.
#18 (10) – Gintama – (8/10) – The Sarutobi-arc was just bad. It tried to be way too silly for the sake of silliness, and was just painful to watch. One more episode like that and I’m going to drop this thing because I don’t want to sit through that any longer. The episode after that was a great recap episode though, but yeah: it’s a little early for that one and it only highlights the production issues that the entire sequel has been having.
#17 (19) – Moshidora – (8/10) – Okay, so the budget was bare-bones, Moshidora actually told a surprisingly good story that made good use of its time of only ten episodes. The end was a bit cheesy, but the premise of a high school girl reading Drucker’s Management was quite interesting.
#16 (9) – Ao no Exorcist – (8/10) – In a surprise, this month suddenly brought the character to Hogwarts and this turned into a school life series. Okay. It’s a bit weird, but in terms of building up it did its job by exploring the characters, discussing their motivations and preparing for all hell to break loose later. Literally, probably.
#15 (7) – Hana-Saku Iroha – (8/10)

Lotsa building up here in this series. That unfortunately doesn’t really make this show as enjoyable to watch as it once was, but it’s still fun to watch the main cast together as they try to run the inn. Now all that’s left is to hope that that build-up actually pay\s off

#14 (20) – Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – (8/10)

Moloch was awesome. He really saved this series from the same fate as Hen Zemi. But granted, the rest of the cast also is a lot of fun to watch here. It’s completely over the top, but surprisingly watchable.

#13 (18) – Fireball – (8/10)

This show still is random, but in a good way. I love these anti-climaxes that it just keeps throwing at the viewer, and its comedic timing is also pretty good here. Oh, and the graphics also look really good at this point. Recommended if you want to waste two minutes.

#12 (11) – X-Men – (8,25/10)

The visuals here are damn good: this show looks vivid and wild, and the action always is interesting to watch. the story leaves the most tings to be desired: it feels too random at this point. The characters aren’t the best, but they’re still pretty interesting to watch at the moment.

#11 (13) – Showa Monogatari – (8,25/10)

In this month, this series has continued to paint a surprisingly authentic picture of Japan in 1964. There were a few bad parts, like the animation or the drama around Kouhei, but overall the cast has grown quite nicely so far. The four preview episodes were weird, but they did show how the cast evolved in quite an interesting way. It’s got this great combination between random slice of life and meaningful drama.

#10 (26) – Dororon Enma-Kun Meera Meera – (8,25/10)

This show. Is crazy. It’s a fanservice show, but it delivers its fanservice in such a bizarre way that I can’t help but love it. It’s completely juvenile and yet fun to watch from beginning to end, with great jokes and a lot of creativity that will go with any idea, no matter how stupid ti is. Oh, and beyond that, the soundtrack is also much better than I expected here.

#9 (12) – Deadman Wonderland – (8,5/10)

This show is extreme. It’s complete balls to the walls in its themes and mood. But at the same time though, it doesn’t forget about its characters. This show has become surprisingly interesting to watch due to the cast of characters who are surprisingly well fleshed out for such a premise. Beyond that, it’s also the creativity that the setting has, and all of the things that it just keeps throwing at the lead character that have sold me.

#8 (15) – Sket Dance – (8,5/10)

After its first episode, I heard from several people that the different stories vary from really good to really mediocre. Now here’s the thing: after eight episodes, I have not seen a bad episode yet. Sure, it gets a bit far-fetched at times, but overall Sket Dance surprised me at what a sincere series it has become. Every episode so far has had its charms, and the best thing is that it’s also surprisingly varied: both the different arcs and characters stand on their own, and this series takes pride in its creativity, which seems a gimmick at first, yet ends up surprisingly well used.

#7 (17) – Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – (8,5/10)

Well, it’s taken a while, but the current arc of Kaiji kicks ass! This arc was very calculate, which makes things pay off even more at the end. The creators really manged to crawl into the minds of these characters, and they really impressed me there. The atmosphere also really worked here. More of these arcs, please.

#6 (8) – [C] The Money Of Soul and Possibility Control – (8,5/10)

The great thing about C is how well it looks upon its subject material: it just keeps offering different views, motivations, people and opinions, some of which are surprisingly well fleshed out. It’s a shame that it doesn’t have the right budget to really animate what it wants, but it does know how to create an atmosphere.

#5 (6) – Steins;Gate – (8,5/10)

Steins;Gate is slow, but very solid. It has a great cast so far, its themes are really interesting, the plot is really well paced and the atmosphere rocks. Sure, it follows a bit of a harem set-up with a guy surrounded by many girls, but it has more tan enough to make up for it.

#4 (4) – Tiger & Bunny – (8,5/10)

If I had to summarize Tiger & Bunny with one word, it’d be lovable. Heck, the entire cast is a joy to watch, even when the main storyline is out of the picture. The bond between the different characters is always being developed, and the whole backdrop of superheroes working for sponsors is still working really well to keep everything together.

#3 (22) – Gosick – (8,75/10)

In this month… Gosick has become amazing. Seriously, the last episode that was even remotely mediocre was episode fourteen. After that, Gosick has been nothing but character development, breath-taking adventures and engaging thrillers. Finally everything has come together, but I seriously did not expect this show to become THIS good. Right now, this show has turned into a roller coaster ride that just keeps coming with interesting plot twists, and not to mention the characters, who received major improvements.

#2 (2) – Hyouge Mono – (8,75/10)

This show can both be hysterical and serious when it wants to, and it just rocks at both areas. It has without a doubt the best dialogue of the entire season, even though it’s really difficult to try and understand. It’s a really authentic view at the sengoku era that combines politics, aesthetics, silliness and intrigue with each other brilliantly so far.

#1 (1) – Ano Hi Mita no Hana no Namae o Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – (9/10)

This turned out to be an amazing series, with exceptionally brilliant characterizations. Every episode pushes the characters forward and it leaves no moment wasted to give more meaning to them. It’s a sad show, focused on running away, but it has just the right combination between sadness and hope here.

1. Alec says:

Lol, I also dropped Sekai ichi at episode 5.

watching the gayness was pretty disturbing, so when they introduced a new bunch of characters, I just had to drop and delete it from my hard drive

2. Kits says:

You are a liar, i don’t believe when you write so small, baka

3. Joojoobees says:

I’m really enjoying this season. It will be a shame when it comes to its end, but I’ll have some great memories, and some shows I can recommend to friends. In fact, if I have one regret, it is that subs to a couple of shows are just not appearing (Hyouge Mono, and Showa Monogatari). These are exactly the sorts of series that deserve fan-subs, because the corporations are never going to bother bringing out commercial releases on my side of the world.

4. Life says:

Woah… I did not expect to even see Sket Dance on the list. I mean, it’s not a bad show but… Wow #8 huh?

Anyway it’s been a nice month, hope this keeps up.

5. gandalf8 says:

Glad you liked Sket Dance. I’m a big fan of the manga myself, although I’m too lazy to watch the anime. Interesting ratings that I generally agree with, although I myself really enjoyed Hanasaku Iroha. Totally agreed with your assessment of Tiger and Bunny though.

6. ojisan says:

I wish more fansubbers had your priorities, then I could see if I agreed with you about Hyouge Mono. Love what I’ve seen so far, 1 thru 4 –

7. EMChamp says:

Ironically enough I dropped Gosick at episode 14, I might just have to marathon the show after I’m done with finals. Totally agree with AnoHana being 1#. For me personally, its not even close, that show is amazing.

8. Jérémy says:

Ano Hana#1 is totally right! Best show ends down. I started this season watching 12 shows, I’m down to 5 now xD Not that I didn’t like the others but they were just too average. Strangely, Azazel-san is still in my top 5 XD

9. meow says:

I love Ano Hana too. It’s nice to see this animator’s fine work without the blood and the gore (I had a hard time stomaching HOTD, in spite of the brilliant art). I would have ranked Hana-saku Iroha alot higher. These two, C and Stein;s Gate are my tops right now, along with Dog Days, which I guess doesn’t count as a May anime?

10. meow says:

Wanted to add. I never got to see the Valkyria Chronicles 3 OVA but I had high hopes because I’m really enjoying the game on PSP. Sadly, it would only be a 2 OVA series, far too short for it’s content. I think it would probably have been alot better if it had the right amount of time to stew properly. I’m a bit concerned about the production values issue. OVAs usually make up for short time with very high quality. I sure hope it wasn’t as bad as the Baldr Force EXE butchering it’s OVA got.

11. Kiseki says:

>kids’ show
    Also fujoshi show since Mr. CEO of Level-5 is seriously thinking of making an otome game for Inazuma Eleven.
    The energy in GO is nothing compared to the energy in its prequel.

Should watch Showa Monogatari soon hnngh.

Ano Hana is so good. So damn good.

12. Hogart says:

Hmm.. are there any key episodes of Gosick to watch if I’m starting from scratch, or should I just bite the bullet and watch the first 14 episodes? Sounds like another Kobato to me.

I’ve only really had time to watch AnoHana (reminds me a great deal of Toradora), and the fluffier comedies. Transitioning to a new job can be such a pain for your inner child :)

I guess it’s time to put the lesser shows on the backburner for a few weeks and catch up on the better ones. I’m glad to hear others are also enjoying Dororon and Azazel, but fear Astarotte’s started on a death spiral with the last episode.

13. c160 says:

I’m actually surprised that you like Sket Dance as much as you did.I thought it would be too shonen for you,but I’m glad you liked it too. So far the episodes are from the early chapters of the manga (although I think they rearranged the episodes a bit? It’s been a long time since I read the early parts :P) and the lesser stories are still far from this point. But yes, even now I still think the manga is a very charming and sincere series and the only bad point I can say is sometimes the drama is quite badly written.

I really liked tiger and bunny too so far. I do hope Bunny won’t really go back to his jerkass attitude after the recent episode.Or worse :(

14. Gintoki says:

If you think sket dance is pretty impressive at the moment, wait until you get to the dramatic back stories. It has great drama and gives the main characters some touching backgrounds. Seriously. I was amazed by how a comedy could be so heart-wrenching.I could never look at those characters the same way! Hopefully it’s adapted well into the anime as well.
    Aaaaand Ano Hana is number 1! AGAIN! while I was probably one of the very VERY few who thought the most recent episode wasn’t quite up to standard,I’m still glad to see Ano Hana got the spot it deserved.

15. Inushinde says:

C and Steins;Gate are shaping up to be my favorite shows of the season, simply because of how methodical they are. I don’t know how else to say it, but it’s rare that a show, let alone two, can have very little progress going on but still feel like nothing’s going to waste.

16. Souther says:

Not watching enough TV anime right now to comment on any currently airing series, but Alone Again isn’t the “conclusion” to the story of Votoms. That is a factually incorrect statement.

Chronologically speaking, it’s set between Shining Heresy and Phantom Arc. But honestly, it doesn’t even work as a thematic conclusion either.

Thematically speaking, the story of Votoms ended when the original TV series did. That’s when Chirico’s character arc ended. None of these additional sequels have accomplished anything significant with his own character, other than going for emotional manipulation by killing certain individuals off.

So, while Alone Again does bring a well-executed resolution to the loose end represented by the continued existence of a certain secondary character from Shining Heresy, even that wasn’t necessary. Recycling subplots and situations isn’t a sign of originality but of the opposite.

As a universe, Votoms has been dragged down by the refusal to leave Chirico’s side and tell other stories. Which is too bad, since he’s not the only interesting part of that property. There are, regardless of the conservatism of certain Votoms fans, other possibilities and I’m glad not everyone thinks like psgels in this respect.

17. Hades says:

WTF?! A few weeks back when i visited this blog Gosick was at 7,5/7,75, but now is 8,75????? What’s up with this monumental change Psgels? If the start was “mediocre” like you said then you should reconsider this bad start before rating it that high. Seriously, raise 1 point within a few weeks is just… weird, incomprehensible for me.

And the 2nd Kaiji IMO is just as awesome as it’s predecessor. I wonder why you didn’t like the 1st season. Kaiji 2 is the only anime of this new season that’s impressing me. The others are ok, but so far, nothing special.

18. totoum says:

“If the start was “mediocre” like you said then you should reconsider this bad start before rating it that high. ”

When psgels gives out a monthly rating,it rates that month only,not the other months,so there’s no need to take the start into consideration.

I’m sure he will take the start into consideration when he gives an overall rating once the show is over.

19. Anonymous says:

“As a universe, Votoms has been dragged down by the refusal to leave Chirico’s side and tell other stories.”
    The story of Votoms wasn’t about its universe. It was about Chirico’s journey of self discovery. Leave that world building stuff to Gundam. And honestly, if the other stories consist of Finder and Case Irvine, I say leave the franchise alone once and for all.

20. Hades says:

Ah, now i understand.
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t know that =P

21. Hades says:

Ah, now i understand.
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t know that =P

22. Joojoobees says:

@Hogart Tricky thing with Gosick is that information related to the main plot has been trickling out all throughout the series. Also the story is told in three episode arcs, so dipping one episode here and there would not make much sense.

23. c160 says:

lol just below my previous comment some one had a very different opinion on Sket Dance. YMMV then,since I personally didn’t really like some of the too angsty drama.

24. Souther says:

If you think so, then there shouldn’t have been any Votoms after the original TV series. None of the three sequels have contributed anything notable to Chirico’s character arc.

I’ll just mention that one of the earliest and most influential Votoms fans in America, Tim Eldred, has a far more open-minded attitude than you about what Votoms can be as a property.

Tim loves Votoms, certainly more than anyone else on this website, but he’s not under the illusion that it must always be about Chirico. And I agree with him.

He didn’t hate Votoms Finder, for one thing, and I’m talking about someone who watched the series and even made an officially licensed comic adaptation long before the Internet. Think about that.

I hate having to resort to an authority, honestly, but anyone who claims that “true” fans of Votoms must hate Finder and Case:Irvine or that they can’t be appreciated by fans of the property…doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

25. Anime says:

After reading all of these comments out then i realized what was going on…was a bit confused for a min there

26. Lis says:

I think you should watch the episodes 8 and 9 of sekai ichihatsu koi because they focus on the third couple (techically the second couple in the manga) which is alot more interesting than the second couple presented in the series. Which I personally feel is the weakest couple (kind of like the terrorist couple in romantica but atleast they were entertaining)

I agree with you on gosick I wasn’t fully into the series until now but I feel its so late in the game when the entire series could have been better. I love hanasaku iroha (sorry I don’t share your sentiments on the recent episodes ^_^) as for anohana I going to wait until its finished before I watch it.

27. kiri says:

You didn’t drop Inazuma Eleven GO, I am so surprised LOL I thought you will hate it.
    I am seriously considering start watching Hyouge Mono now.

28. Anonymous says:

@Souther You’re right. There shouldn’t have been any newer Votoms ova. Finder and Case Irvine attempts to expand the franchise, but they don’t feel like Votoms anymore. It’s pretty much the same thing with U.C Gundam and the recent ones. Sunrise’s just trying to milk the cow and I hate that.

29. Tomtom says:

Damn, so many episodes to still catch up on and so little time.. Your top 10 looks great this month.

30. Shippoyasha says:

Speaking of Valkyria Chronicles 3 OVA, it is truly the definition of a fanservice anime. I was excited but it is because I played through the game quite a bit. I can see the point that it’s not a standalone though. A shame. I can see VC2 and VC3 being full anime series like VC1 was.

As for Inazuma Eleven, psgels, I think this is the equivalent of Pretty Cure for the boys. But much darker in a way.

Inazuma Eleven had themes of abandonment of children, murder of parents, murder of kids (potentially), attempted murders, kidnapping, brainwashing, steroid-abusing, willful betrayals and a lot of other dark stuff one might find surprising to find in a for-kids production. But the emotions rings true quite a bit and I was immensely satisfied with the original Inazuma Eleven series. And if you have to ask, yes, the character development is there as well. Not bad for a kids show. Not bad at all.

Halfway through Aico.
All hail Devilman crybaby all hail devilman crybaby and its glorious new regime.
I mean, Netflix did have a hit show. Devilman Crybaby. Regardless of our personal opinions on it, it hit big.
Maybe pick one and review it here too
I'm planning to catch up with all the Netflix shows next weekend
@Aidan: Have you finished Aico?
Thanks Kaiser, can't download the streaming web for some reasons but at least now I can watch it online
All these shows came out within too small a frame of time from each other.
It's not a good thing that it's crap, I mean I am still waiting on Netflix anime to have a serious hit show but at least this way I can get around to finishing Aico.
New netflix show came out today called Sword Gai. But luckily I don't have to watch it cause seems it's crap.
and blackfox + trigger anime could be cool. not a fan of the design of trigger's main girl though
Game anime is pretty cool too
Think this is my favorite so far
Tons of interesting trailer releases due to animejapan 2018.
@Mario: I also finally did that review of lady bird:
Definitely more of a Westerns hommage this time round.
But its such a visual film anyway and so little dialogue, lack of subs are fine, I got by following with highschool French.
Though remember, those links I gave are un-subbed.
@Mario: While I was onboard with all of Amer, at the same time it wasn't able to best that opening segment later on.
@Mario: I enjoyed being pulled into the bizzare atmosphere of both amer and strange colour of your bodies tear.
@Mario: Or stream: you could download it with downloadhelper if you want to watch it on vlc player.
@Kaiser: I think I've mentioned this to you but I consider the first segment of Aimer one of my all time favorite. I just love everything, everything about it. The style, the art designs and the editing especially
@Kaiser: couldn't find it online. Do you have a link or something? Just pm me if you do
But its hardly a comprehensible film anyway, even going by plot synopsis, its all about style as substance to let wash over you and its enjoyable for that style.
@Mario: It has very very little dialogue, I watched it in French, knowing some of the language.
@Mario: No I mean the other two are more dreamlike than it.
it's even more dreamlike than the other two? Now I have to watch it
@Kaiser: is Let the Corpses Tan available online already? My, My. Looking for it now
@Mario: I saw let the corpses tan, blackly funny but you kind of need to be into B movies to get the full appeal out of it and just run with it, their style is there but it definately feels more dreamlike in amer and strange colour of your bodies tears.
@Mario: He himself claims he's like Ken Loach, but I always felt, like most, that Ozu was a better fit.
@Mario: Still walking is one I really want to watch by Koreeda.
About VEG, as of now I just take it for what it is. I reckon it's more like many of them know how to write, but when it comes to writing a letter, they have a "just ask the professional" mentality
@Kaiser: interesting. So Koreeda moved from character-driven drama to plot-driven thriller. A good change of pace at the very least
@anon1906941: I don't have any old blog, this is the only blog I write.
@Amagi: I'm just thinking of the dolls as ghostwriters. They might be able to write, but rely on the ghostwriters to write for them for a special/important occasion (i.e. princess/prince story), write more quickly than they could (i.e. the scriptwriter/observatory dude), or to do so if they're physically unable (possibly the mother).
I have somewhat of a problem accepting this whole "doll" business in VEG. It always feels like anyone who isn't a doll was absolutely unable to write, despite that most of them are pretty eloquent in speech and most likely not illiterates.
@Mario: more of a whydunnit of possibilities than a whodunnit .
@Mario: Feels like a sporadically fun game koreeda is playing with the audience that at other times wears off.
@Mario: I'm torn on third murder by Koreeda, it presents interesting scenarios for motives and it does have something to say about the nature of truth (and in relation to lawyers) but theres nothing concrete here . Overall you could say its Rashomon for the 21st century.
where is your old blogs mario
Wow, Netflix is suddenly releasing a lot of anime shows .-.
@kaiser: I'm not too happy with After the Rain this week. A bit of a letdown for me consider I really enjoyed last week's episode.
After the rain continues surprising me, it can be dull going at moments but at the same time, even this week , the slow pace is still allowing the drama to creep up on the viewer, making the small moments all the more effective.
I wouldn't really count western examples of "kids adventuring in another world" shows as isekai shows though because they don't share the tropes of genre
@Kaiser, Yep. Read it.
@Aidan: Have you read Hotarubi no Tomoru Koro ni?
There are Alice in wonderland manga too.
In all seriousness, the Japanese were very fond of that story anon and even in the 90s there were isekai stories.
Does Alice in Wonderland count as Isekai?
....which is fair. But even though it does not hold up and has not dated well, I can't think of it as bad as something such as...well neo angelique or Amnesia.
Interesting to think that people forget that isekai isn't exactly a new thing. But thinking of it, if Fushigi yugi came out now, people would probably call it an otome show.
When you know all forms of fiction are actually isekai because by the act of watching/reading/playing fiction we are absorbed/taken into another world technically =O
@Vonter: Looks like I probably should as the alien 9 guy did it.
Has anyone read Milk Closet by Hitomi Tomizawa? It's weird. Does dimensional hopping count as Isekai?
Reverse-isekai seems to be an appropriate term for that.
Does the opposite of Isekai has a name? Like with the anime Gate or the He-man movie?
And the dungeons and dragons cartoon was also a Isekai.
You are now aware that Captain N, was technically Isekai =P
I also have a feeling that the anime so far is still in a set-up stage. The side characters might get more important roles later on but for now they serve little purpose.
@Masky: A little bit of both, I guess. I know that the anime burnt through a lot of materials here. The result is while it's affecting at the time, they move on so fast to the next arc that the emotion never really sinks in
Honestly confused here if manga is just better or if its just case of differing tastes/expectations ._. Like, I think Mahoutsukai no Yome is surprisingly good considering the premise
Episode 22 was great, and while I feel more connected to the drama here than say, Violet Evergarden, as a whole I still feel underwhemeded
I've finally, finally catched up with Mahoutsukai no Yome (well, technically I'm still 1 episode behind, but I've just burnt through like 7 episodes). It still has pacing issues (which Lenlo pointed out well), some parts they glossed over too quickly, while another part just stayed for too long)
Already late but might as well say it. I plan on leaving my reviews till next week in order to focus on the Season preview. Hopefully get that done this week or next week.
I really enjoyed the Burnt Field episodes of 3-Gatsu. They came off as a bit too flashback-spammy and a bit melodramatic like the show always is, but still a great time was had.
KT here: This looks pretty though I am sure I will object to the way the history is presented.
KT here: Classicaloid Season 2 penultimate episode had a whole bunch of anime/game references including an Akuma one.
With Vinland, I think it was that it switched magazines, started as a shounen.
HYPE! HYPE! VINLAND HYPE! I really hope it's a 2-cour where they end with the "End of Prologue".
Wonder how Vinland will be. It's one of the very very very few long running series I still consider as good. Usually there is always a lot of stuff that annoys me once a series switches its tone or genre at some point.
I also wish Wixoss would die and I really loved the first series, even both seasons. But the lastest one without Okada was atrocious.
@Kaiser: that kind of distraction is just the internet's curse I know it as well. It kinda pisses me off because I was a pretty diligent worker once and created a lot of create new content even. Now I often get the urge to check the newest funny tweets/memes whatever.
Well played sir
In my headcanon I'm pretending the crowdfunding for a possible gunsmith cats anime will work.
This will be a good way to re-cap on older chapters of Vinland through the adaptation. I started reading it way back in 2007.
excellent news
So, vinland saga appears to have gotten picked up for an adaptation by WIT
I will watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. Probably give Golden Kamuy a chance.
I'll consider golden kamuy at least.
I'm too busy with galactic heroes original to watch the remake right now and you can bet for certain i am staying far far away from mahou shoujo site.
While I won't say anythong doreikus villain reveal pretty much killed it for me. I never really watched much of full metal panic due to not finding it funny.
Just let Wixoss, Sword art and tokyo ghoul die already , its beating the dead horse at this point.
Kaiser-Eoghan in the meantime you can all content yourself with that preview.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
@Anon, When it's done.
They actually take work you know, not as if I can just cough them up on a whim.
Spring Preview when?
I enjoy TONS of subtitled stuff, but I have to admit...sometimes to re-winding and pausing when the dialogue gets heavy or complex.
I know Aico has a shit dub but sometimes I find myself watching in English and feeling lazy because its easier to watch more now that way.
I used to be able to marathon stuff so easily but now I can't do the 12 episodes in one go thing like I used to.
Something goes off, even after 30 minutes to an hour "Shit....have to see if something NOW....can't stop myself"
I'm not the kind of person who messes with their phone in a cinema, but at home somehow theres this moments where I just get this distracting urge to keep checking some site, E-mail, snacking, going to the bathroom too often or lie down, look at someones doujin/smut art or write something all when I'm supposed to be doing something else.
What I mean is, I'll be reading/watching something and its not boring at all, maybe even interesting, but I can't stop pausing sometimes for...reasons and it takes me longer to get through something because of this.
I know this is pretty much an effect of living in this generation but, for those of you who experience this, how do you guys deal with "distraction." Sometimes this annoys me....
@Amagi: I'm evasive of "non-old man pubs" at night , particularly late at night, I don't want to come across any "characters" I'd prefer not to encounter.
Liquor goes great after copious amounts of beef and steak
@Amagi, Considering that I am here, you probably should have expected a Fate GO review.
Wow I didn't expect a FGO review here
Well it's the reason why I never drink alcohol at home. Even if I were depressed it wouldn't change my mood so it's pointless.
I can reach a point where I feel like dreaming but none of my character traits change. Guess it always varies depending on the person. Same with my best friend, he's just get tired when drunk, but nothing else ever happens.
@Kaiser: Same here. Often go to pubs with friends at night but not only do I not want to ever get my mind "altered" by alcohol, it doesn't even work it seems. Or maybe it's the will or that I am just not influenceable.
Ah, this is just me being in grumpyKaiser mode =)
I have been drunk, I do not like it. I do like being tipsy, but hate drunk. I generally like beer because it does not muck me up as bad as harder drinks (ouzo, raki, and I absolutely despise tequila). The first time in my life I celebrated Valentine's Day was this year. Have to say that it was not too bad.
Baccardi and Vodka were the only forms of alcohol I felt didn't especially taste "off" to me.
I also dislike Valentines day for the schmaltz, insincerity, fakeness around it and the idea there has to be "a day" for it and the captilization, commercialization of emotions.
In all my thirty one years I have never been drunk and never intend to, I dislike the idea of surrendering my mind to alcohol and feeling "altered". If anything you would be safer doing marijuana.
And Guinness is massively overrated.
@Anon: I care for neither really.
Alcohol culture in a nutshell: if you like to drink sweet alcohol that actually tastes good instead of liquor that tastes like gasoline and piss, you're a pussy.
I've no interest in Irelands drinking culture /festival days much.
Its really just a day off or an excuse for 13 year olds to get drunk.
He was Welsh aswell and there weren't exactly that much snakes in Ireland to begin with.
@Mario: Its technically St Patricks day now yes. Not that I personally care for it, I got going to the parade out of my system over a decade ago, never liked the oirishness and cliches/commercialisim around it, in the end it just makes it impossible to get around the city, plus the weather is so poor its pointless going out anyway.
I saw some Irish flags around my area. Is it St Patrick day today?
I did listen to some of aico's dub, I don't think any of these people are experienced or professional voice actors.
Anon: B the beginning was too much of an awkward genre mix. I was content to just ignore aico because I'm not a fan of Bones as a studio but you're the second person to say it reminds them of some old ova.
@Anon: I enjoyed the combination of old and new with devilman, it even being able to eclipse the ovas, aswell as the experimental visual style and transgression, and as you said, the surprising emotional involvement.
So i finish, B the Beginning, Aico, Devilman( What a feel's ride). and I must say that they're far from perfect, but they remaind me of 90, early 2000 anime, that i loved so much and that is a big plus. Today's anime doesnt feel quite the same in my opinion, what are your thoughts.. Now im getting excited to watch SWORD GAI!.
While obvious an anime series, After the rain often feels like a live action film.
@Mario: Actually that does remind me, I never saw Pola X by Carax.
Miike is extremely hit or miss, but I loved how Audition minipulated the viewer with its slower first half before really taking off, most of Ichi the killer is just a perversely funny black comedy to me.
Chang-dong-Lee is refreshingly less melodramatic then other Korean directors.
Benh Zeitlin is one I'm not familiar with, but it turns out he did beasts of southern wild and I enjoy magical realism.
@Mario: I wasn't aware Carax was still alive, some sgements of holy motors work, others don't , lovers on the bridge was a more accessible film I recall.
@Fluca: okay. Kinda fixed it. I don't think we have a spoiler code so I just changed your spoiler into white color
@Kaiser: I'm checking movies from indie auteur directors that could come out this year, interested Benh Zeitlin's second movie, Lee Chang Dong's and Leos Carax's one
Would love to see Our Little Sister in anime form, actually
Although Miike directs like at least 40 feature films, I only remember his Audition and Ichi the Killer the most, both of which I have extremely mixed feeling about
Every time I here the title Aico, it makes me think its some kind of eco/environmental thing, which I know it isn't.
The fate/extra Alice character (I looked her up) looks like she belongs in rozen maiden.
The modern Japanese directors can be prolific Miike and Sono pump out more than one film a year.
And it shows, that Our little sister adaptation, that live action adaptations CAN sometimes work.
Quick fact, that action crime josei anime, Bananna fish, coming out in April is based on a manga by the writer of Our little sister's manga.
@Mario: The interest being, how he would handle something so removed from his usual style.
@Mario: Actually re-checking, its next week, The third murder , which seems very different, a courtroom drama with some philosophy in it.
I really enjoy Our Little Sister, but I think mainly because the film is entirely within my comfort zone (Slice of life manga material, about the life of these girls)
@Kaiser: Which one will you see? He now directs one movie per year so it's hard to keep track some times. I really like his style and I reckon people who like slice-of-life will enjoy his movies
@Mario: Hirokazu Koreeda has a new film out, seeing it on Friday, I've only seen Our little sister by him.
@Anon: I essentially deleted the rest of the episodes off my computer after struggling through the first, like most, maybe moreso I got very turned off by the genre mixing. Thats not to say that I'm against genre mixes though, but they have to be weird, I mean really weird.
I am not a fan of breather episodes, something most modern anime are pretty keen to insert. I hate breaking of climaxes in order to show three SoL-, fanservice- or formularic monster of the week episodes before the main plot progresses further. When I want SoL I go watch a full fleshed SoL. Aico is pretty straight forward and kinda easy to watch in one go in that regard. Nothing really new though.
Just finished Aico. Had a few downsides like most series but I enjoyed it. Felt like a classic scifi anime you'd see in the 90s.
@Anon, I watched it. Though it was mixed but a decent enough watch. It really felt like two shows hastily combined into one. Been thinking of writing a review for it and Aico once I finish Aico.
*Have you watch
Have toy watch, B The Beginning?
I would call it somewhat lightweight however, but I won't complain/level too much against it, as it is afterall, a family film.

Violet Evergarden – 11 [I Don’t Want Anyone Else to Die]

It’s time for our doll Violet confronts the past with the present: accepting the job in the midst of the war zone. Seeing the war caught up to her while she begins to move on could serve as an interesting character study case, but in truth this episode runs much more straight-forward than that. She […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 12 [A Place Further than the Universe]

For a show that sells on the idea of turning your normal life upside down and enjoy the youth to the fullest, the second half of Universe instead delved a bit too much on the friendship side that don’t speak much to that central theme. In this episode, the theme comes back with a bang, […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome -23 [Nothing Seek, Nothing Find]

Welcome to the penultimate episode of Chise and friends, the premier hollow friendship simulator of the season. This week on Mahoutsukai we have biblical backstories, every named character shows up and a general decline from last episode. Lets jump in! In terms of general quality, its a step down from last week. That isn’t unexpected, […]

After the Rain – 10 [Sudden Shower]

At this point I can safely say that I will enjoy whatever direction Ameagari will wrap up. It has transformed from a merely love story between two adorable individuals with a huge age gap into something much deeper, more refine and more poetic. This episode is another stellar showcase in a way it feels entirely […]

Violet Evergarden – 10 [Loved Ones Will Always Watch Over You]

It’s a neat (and cruel) trick Violet Evergarden pulled this week. I always have a soft spot for mature undertone story from a point of view of kids (that’s why I am always fond of To Kill a Mockingbird, for instance) so this story is right within my wheelhouse. Violet Evergarden’s melodrama approach can be […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 11 [Bash That Drum Can!]

Another episode of Universe that delves into friendship issues. While I can see many hiccups along the way, I can still say the ride is worth it. Not that I think this episode stands out, rather that I don’t know exactly how I feel about this episode’s resolution. This episode features my favorite girl, a […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 07[A Story for Someone’s Sake ― Nursery・Rhyme ―]

Thus ends the Nursery Rhyme two episode arc and that certainly was more confusing than it needed to be. The fight was once again, anticlimactic and rather lacking strategy wish as well. I mean our protagonists kept talking like they had a plan but it pretty much amounted to just climbing the tower and fighting […]

Darling in the Franxx – 09[Triangle Bomb]

Today on Darling in the Franxx, death flags averted. I admit that throughout this episode I fully prepared myself to see Goro die. The signs were everywhere with him confirming to Hiro that he was in love with Ichigo, the mission leaving him stranded with a trolosuar, the hair clip as well as the base […]

Junji Ito Collection – 10[Greased/Bridge]

Ugh, I was lucky I ate before that first story started. Not so much scary but very disgusting with the oily dirty house and that brother with the pimples…ugh. This story is more gross out factor than actual horror as there isn’t really a plot besides this girl living with her horrible family in a […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]