Posted by psgels on 3 June 2011 with categories: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai

Even for Ano Hana standards, this episode was amazing. I mean, how much can you stuff into an episode anyway? This episode went from heart-wrenching scene to heart-wrenching scene, and it just kept going! Each time showing new things about the cast, sharp dialogue and a huge heap of sincerity.

First there was Menma’s mother who actually lashed out at the group as a whole, then Yukiatsu forced Jinta to just go on on his own, Anjou confessed the feelings she had when she was younger, Jinta had a great scene together with his father, then Menma’s brother came along and as a desert Menma finally had the guts to make her presence known to the others. Heck, every single part here would have made for an amazing episode, but this episode found a way to put them all in the same episode. Now THAT’s how you take advantage of Noitamina!

I always found it a bit of a plothole that Menma didn’t just make stuff float in front of the group. Still, this episode showed that she can probably only bump into stuff, and probably thought that that wouldn’t be enough to convince people of her existence (she’s good at running away and all).

In any case though, this episode was also really good for one of the biggest strengths of this series: the way in which it puts so much meaning into its dialogue. The script in this series is masterfully written, in order to get as much out of the characters as possible. The characters here are both big liars, and surprisingly true to their feelings: they’re really able to express what they’re feeling, and this series does that in a way that I haven’t seen in a long, long while.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. Alec says:

IMO, it would’ve been better if the creators didn’t do the scene where Menma had to drop her diary in order to prove that she is here.

still… I won’t deny it’s the most epic episode yet

2. meow says:

I’m just surprised she never did it sooner. Forget a diary. Just eat a bowl of ramen in front of the others. Or present them a bowl of her buns. I was half wondering if maybe Jinta was partially hallucinating – he certainly seemed to think so. And I was a little bit surprised that she was strong enough to turn one of those search lights and turn it on for Jinta during the roadworks scene. IMHO not an easy feat if she was a living girl.

3. Troyen says:

I’ve been waiting for her to make her presence known since about episode two. Every time she hangs on someone’s neck, that person complains they feel a weight, so she has some ability to interact with the world. She can move objects, cook food, and eat food, why not write stuff on paper, float things around, arrange stuff in a message, or simplest enough would be to have Jintan stand in a corner under watch while everyone else picks a number between one and a billion and have her tell Jintan what it is several times in a row.

That point aside, I’ve really been enjoying the show, and I’m especially looking forward to how the rest of the cast will act post-dropped diary. Are all of them really going to accept that as proof (looking at you, Yukiatsu)?

4. EMChamp says:

I keep waiting on this series to disappoint and fail to deliver on such an emotional level. Instead what I’ve gotten is 8 episodes of superbly delivered plot and rich characterization.

As the viewer I felt so relieved for Jintan when Menma finally revealed herself. It was painful the way the others would believe in Jintan’s Menma one moment then claim Jintan was insane the next. There was a great quote in the middle of the episode where Jintan says something like since Menma wasn’t there, they weren’t all together anyway, so he might as well try to go at it alone (something like that). I guess that’s why Menma’s revelation is so powerful, because she is the one link holding this fractured group of friends together.

As a side note, I hope they properly explain why she hadn’t simply tried to contact people before.

5. ahelo says:

Lol 4 stars. How long has it been since we got 4 stars in this blog?

6. Jo says:

@ahelo : Prolly since FMA : Brotherhood. Can’t blame that. FMA BRotherhood’s my favorite anime of all time C:

That aside..

I felt so bad for Jinta when he started to cry.
    Looks like this anime is going to end sadly…

7. krystal says:

As for the concern of why Menma didn’t reveal herself sooner, I found this really good piece of speculation on a Japanese blog.

From the point when Menma first appears, she had the feeling that if she had her wish fulfilled, she would probably disappear. She also was sure that her wish was something that could be fulfilled only with everyone in the Super Peace Busters involved. However, as she continued to live together with Jintan, she started to think that maybe it would be good if she could just always stay this way so she never thought of making the effort to prove her existence to the others. If she proves her existence, then things would progress to the point where her wish would be fulfilled and she would disappear. But then, she realized that by not revealing her existence, Jintan who she likes so much would be hurt instead (by others around him) so she made the decision to reveal herself, have her wish fulfilled, and finally rest in peace.

I claim no ownership of these ideas and merely wanted to post this because I found this very convincing when I first read this.

8. ojisan says:

Krystal’s findings from that blog sound very likely to me – everyone in the series (except maybe Poppo & Jintan’s dad) is hiding their feelings, vacilatting between addressing the situation and flinching away from it. Menma’s doing the same – she wants her wish, but not the consequences of her wish.

Great, great episode. I like how Menma’s brother pops out of the woodwork top have his say, and how Jintan’s dad finally gets some credit for being the really great guy he is (one ojisan to another) –

9. meow says:

I found this very convincing when I first read this.

Yeah. This makes alot of sense. I suspect some of the characters, especially Yukiatsu, may come to this conclusion too and may even try to argue against fulfilling Menma’s wish later on.

Looks like this anime is going to end sadly…

I would say bittersweet. Something like the final arc of Magnitude 8.0. I suppose it’s appropriate given the tragedy that hit Japan recently. Maybe to help some of the viewers come to terms with their own losses. I’ll be really surprised if they can get Menma to come back permanently, although a part of me wishes it was possible.

10. m says:

I don’t know if it was during the scriptwriting or the storyboarding, but obviously there was considerable effort put forth that has really paid off by keeping the dramatic scenes, giant crying scenes and all, from ever feeling cheap and forced. It’s not hard for this kind of material to degenerate into the author just telling you how to feel, instead of really placing you into the scene. The non-verbal cues that provide insight into the characters are also excellent.

I also like that by comparison to many other shows that mix humor and sadness, this series never seems to strive to bounce from the extremes of either, which prevents any significant mood whiplash.

Every time I hear that ED it’s like a bittersweet screw being turned. So whatever the mechanism, this show has certainly managed to wrap me around its finger.

11. tomphile says:

Though it’s a great episode, it would have been better if this series was set to go for a full 13 episodes, but I’ve heard that it’s only going for 11, which is a shame. Anyways, it’s sad that Anjou and the other childhood friends will never win in a love battle.

12. sadakups says:

Thanks for the info krystal. That pretty much answered my question on why Menma did not make her presence known earlier.

And OH SH- four stars. You know psgels is liking it when he gives something so rare like that.

13. Kei says:

this is indeed a heart-wrenching episode. it presents the perspective of how each feels about Menma’s death, from her mom to her friends, even her little brother. with so many crying scenes in a single episode, it does not come across as overly emotional. instead every scene counts. even in the last few minutes when her friends realise Menma is with them, it is full of sincerity.

14. Hogart says:

Yeah, what krystal presented here is what I’ve been assuming for a number of episodes now.. the OP and ED practically scream it as well. It’s heavy-handed to drag things out this way, but as long as they adequately end it, it will still work.

If anything, I had forgotten what a good drama was like – I’m so used to wham moments and shocking reveals in anime that I think that’s why I’m enjoying AnoHana so much.. they’re actually letting the story tell itself without forcing it down our throats as much as usual.

It’s nice to see anime characters again that act more like exaggerated human beings than exaggerated anime characters.

15. Jérémy says:

This episode was soooo good :D With all those dramatic scenes I was expecting to find them cheap but the thing with Ano Hana is that they use some cliches but put so much though and feeling in the dialogues that it’s completely original and heartfelt. And I cry again and again and again xD

16. Ryouichi says:

As much as I’d wished for Menma to reveal herself earlier, I got shivers when they started reading the latest entry.

17. Perm says:

oAo All the small details with Jintan and his mom so far…I wonder if the reason he can see Menma is because he himself is close to dying?

18. Scruffy says:

@M I know exactly what you mean about the ED. The way they mesh the ED into the show as quiet background music initially and then when that chorus kicks in, I just get that choked feeling. This has so far been one amazing show in every single way.

19. Joojoobees says:

This show is so solid. It really puts most other shows to shame. Most other shows are between 50 and 95% fluff per episode, while this show keeps it down to 10 – 20% per episode, then pulls this one out, where every moment seemed to count.

20. Sev says:

This episode kinda failed when it came down to plot developments. Having Memna do something she could do from the very beginning to prove her existence is pretty cheap and a good example of bad writing. She could have done this in the very first episode. Even if she didn’t figure this out back then, she would have realized this as soon as everyone thought Jinta was 1. insane and 2. wrong.
    This development happened because the writer wrote him/herself into a corner. This is pretty much a deus ex machina.

Also no, Memna can do much more than “bump” into stuff. She can cook, write, etc.

That said, everything leading up to that mistake was pretty good.

21. sadakups says:

There was no deus ex machina. What are you talking about?

22. meow says:

So I finally got to watch this and I noticed something weird. Jin-tan’s dad woke Jin-tan up while Menma was asleep on his bed, covered by a blanket. Wouldn’t Jin-tan’s dad have noticed that a blanket is floating on Jin-tan’s bed?

23. meow says:

No…I have to very strongly disagree. Making Jinta the only one who could see Menma was important plot device. It gives time for all the characters and the whole setting to be introduced and fleshed out, including Menma’s family. It kept me guessing at least as to how “real” Menma was. (See my previous post about the blanket and Jinta’s Dad apparently not noticing it.) You did notice how hard Jinta tried to avoid addressing Menma’s presence in his house, as if he himself only half-believed it himself, and how he refers to Menma as his hallucination? And we wouldn’t have seen Yukiatsu demonstrate so vividly his own feelings for Menma if not for him not being convinced of Menma’s presence.

Writing themselves into a corner? Hardly.

24. Sev says:

I agree that it was important for only Jinta to be able to see Memna. It worked well to establish all the characters and the dynamic between them. Additionally, it created some tension between Jinta and the rest and whether they trusted him implicitly on the existence of Memna.
    This trust issue(and the question whether Jinta was sane) is now thrown away for sake of furthering the plot. And they did this by her using that same ability she’s shown earlier. It’s obvious that they couldn’t do this earlier for sake of drama, but I’d say that they should never have done this. My reasoning behind this is that if she could have done this earlier(and she could), she would have done this earlier. It’s fridge logic.

Oh, and yes, this is a case of deus ex machina. Instead of having the character work out their trust issues through character development, they anticlimactically ended this plotthread in the cheapest possible way. I guess the writer couldn’t write himself out of this situation.
    To give you another example of this, take the eagles from Lord of the rings. They only appear when Tolkien placed the good guys in such a spot that he couldn’t figure out how they could get back to safety without some sort of divine intervention. By writing eagles into the story, one has to wonder why you can’t simply use them to fly to mount doom and resolve the plot at the very first book. Similarly, if Memna could do this from the get-go, why didn’t she do it back when these trust issues first appeared?

Now don’t get me wrong. I like this series. But this is just bad writing, especially since it obsoleted one of the better parts of this story.

25. ojisan says:

I’d draw attention to Krystal’s input earlier on, that Menma is conflicted about having her wish granted, and thus about making her presence clear to everyone. I can’t remember her being frantic or frustrated that people other than Jintan can’t see her – it’s not like she’s been making every effort. Like Jintan, she’s chugging on day to day, toying with and also avoiding the issues most important to her. Perhaps this attitude is changing a bit, now that she’s making herself known –

26. meow says:

Well, for one thing, Menma being the airhead that she is, probably couldn’t figure out how to communicate with others when she can’t be seen. Look at how she tried to talk to Poppo in this episode, even though she should have known he couldn’t see her. Two, she was satisfied with just being with Jinta. As the japanese blogger that krystal mentioned in No.7 pointed out, she didn’t want to disappear and was, perhaps subconsciously afraid of having her wish actually granted. This changes when she sees how hard Jinta and everyone else are working for her sake. Finally, the trigger here is her overhearing Poppo’s phone convo and later at the hideout where Jinta was about to get socked. Suddenly she has the need to prove her existence to her friends to stop their fight. Spur of the moment and pretty natural thing for her to do and it works with the story. A deus ex machina might be Menma having never shown the ability to manipulate the enviroment yet suddenly being able to write in her diary to stop the fight. And this is just a plot turn in the story. It’s not the end. It seems to resolve one conflict but opens the door to alot more possible development.

I for one am pretty anxious to know how the other four deal with Menma. Seriously, Jinta has a much easier time because he can see and hear her. How do you deal with a ghost you can’t see or hear? You can’t read their body language or hear their tone of voice. Would they be happy or terrified? A mix of both? What happens if/when Menma’s mother gets into the mix? Remember the first Highlander movie and how MacLeod’s lover reacted when he came back from the dead?

So um…*LOTR spoilers*?

The eagles weren’t a deus ex machina. They were evened out by Sauron’s own flying servants. Even in the final battle, they only evened out the ringwraiths overwhelming air superiority. The ring had to be destroyed first, destroying the wraiths and freeing the eagles for the rescue. If the eagles had tried flying Frodo to Mt Doom from the start, would they have been able to get through?

One does not simply eagle their way into Mordor. XD

27. Sev says:

If I recall correctly, Tolkien himself pretty much stated that the eagles were problematic in his stories. He knew they were a deus ex machina plot device. I’ll leave LOTR for what it is since this is getting derailed enough as it is.

Even if Memna is truly too dumb to realize what she did this episode earlier, Yadomi himself could have brought it up. It would have proven his sanity and resolved all those issues.
    Subconscious denial from the very start sounds suspect. If it was like that, she wouldn’t have brought up the wish at all and instead just pestered him to get the gang back together.

Even with your reasoning, it is still a pretty big leap not to call this a gaping plothole, or extremely contrived.

A deus ex machina is not just limited to the archetypical god descending from the heaven to solve all problems. It applies when the solution is contrived like this one.

Anyway, I think we’re done here. You’re clearly not going to see it any other way and neither will I. Let’s move on.

28. meow says:

No hard feelings I hope, Sev. I respect your opinion but was hoping to at least close the gap between yours and mine a little. I’m a bit disappointed that I failed. XD I guess we’ll chalk this one up to a story that just rubs us in different ways.

And about LOTR, yea I just watched the movies. I never studied the novels. The opinion above is just from me watching the movies. Kudos to you for having a more informed opinion. :)

29. Ryouichi says:

Prevailing argument that I’ve seen about this is that: Before, they got back together and seemed to be getting along, therefore Menma was happy and didn’t see a need to reveal herself. When they start fighting and falling apart, she does this…

Or so the theory goes.

30. Hunter-Wolf says:

@Sev

I’ll be taking everyone’s side here .. you said this Sev:-

“”Subconscious denial from the very start sounds suspect. If it was like that, she wouldn’t have brought up the wish at all and instead just pestered him to get the gang back together””

Point is .. it isn’t Subconscious denial .. she has the mind of a kid and is an air-head to start with .. so having a conflicted opinion is what was happening … yeah .. she does mention her wish … but maybe she did so she finds an excuse to bring everyone together (they would need an excuse) … then she realizes that maybe if her wish is made true .. she might leave this world … but then again if the group doesn’t have a strong motive to band together they will disperse (like what happened this ep) … then finally seeing the suffering she caused (Yadomi crying, the whole group fighting, her mother .. etc etc) she made up her mind and decided to push things towards the final conclusion of having her wish granted even if it will means she will only stay with everyone for a short period then disappear.

That explains the “time out” phrase Menma said –>i.e she made up her mind/decided to take action .. finally .. she said it when she came into the hideout .. so it isn’t really a deus-ex machina at all IMO (i used to think it is until recently) … it might not have been communicated too well .. but some people did figure it out .. it is there.

31. Hogart says:

I honestly can’t understand all this talk of plotholes from the POV of the live characters. It should be obvious that the characters are of questionable sanity and have chosen to struggle with a painfully traumatic incident on their own for many years.

If they simply confronted their problems that easily it would be even more conveniently forced writing than all of this forced drama. How many broken and traumatized people do you know who have shut themselves away, who can simply say “look, here’s a ghost-girl”? Jintan has many reasons to not exposing Menma, and none of them have to be rational.. he’s a traumatized kid with self-image issues, not Sherlock Holmes.

Possible plotholes form from why Menma herself hasn’t revealed herself, but if you’ve accepted the fact that she’s a ghost/poltergeist then you’ve also accepted the fact that the writers can contrive any rationale for her they want to avoid plotholes. She is a ten-year-old’s ghost, who apparently still loves Jintan, and would probably not want to leave his side even if she had to be a ghost. That is a pretty common theme in romantic ghost stories, after all.

32. PL says:

For once, I agree with this review.

33. Taara535 says:

Regardless of plotholes or no plotholes, it is rare that I can rewatach an episode 3 days after I originally watched it and still thoroughly enjoy it. What the writers have done with the dialog here, what the voice actors and sound coordinators have done with the tone of the show, and what the animators have done to bring the two together into a coherent and poignant whole is nothing more than amazing.

I doubt there will be a better anime show released this entire year.

Customize
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.
Bam
@K-off: I thought of a combined post, but my OCD wouldn't allow a skip in the episodic order of the reviews.
Usually when you go camping in Yellowstone or Yosemite the tourist industry kills those places, like I'd be on a rowboat and see cars, cabins, and people from a long ways offshore. The Adirondacks are nice because their building codes mandate construction to be hidden behind trees.
@Bam My favorite camping spot is the Adirondacks in upstate NY, I went there probably 4-7 times and never get tired of the place. No, I don't have any posts for now, but for future reference consider combining episodic reviews when you get behind. I.E. Episode 6-8 Review
Bam
Also there's a reader in the comment section of Berserk 07 who wants to know if we have a notification system. I vaguely remember a widget that links the site to a FaceBook page. If anybody knows how that works, or if it's still functional, please shed some light on the matter for him/her. Thx.
Bam
@Aidan @K-off @Mario either one of y'all has any post near completion? I'm almost done with Berserk 08 and as previously mentioned, really prefer not to put two reviews up back to back. I think the length of them is already a hassle for some to get thru, let alone two right after eachother. I think it hurts the viewership, but if nothing's on hand then I'll guess I'll just finish up and post mine.
Bam
@Kaiser: I was actually camping near a mountain, but aren't all mountains somewhat holy? That could be my bias tho, since I was raised on the Alborz mountain range, and for me there is something therapeutic about the mountain air.
Yes! Looks like the shoutbox is fixed and not deleting posts after 24 hours anymore!
lol Or you could live in the shitty suburb where I do and spend your time just waiting for when your internet connection randomly cuts out twice a month or as it has the past few days two-three times a day.
Basically bam went up the Holy mountain .
@Mario: ....guy I know who loves war films and I've ended up inadvertedly/un-intentionally gotten him to buy some fucked up Polish horror film that just happens to be set in WW2. lol he's going to be pretty freaked out when he watches it.
Bam
Everything been cool here? Hehe ... looks like I conveniently missed all the hard parts.
Bam
@Mario: thx m8. I wish I could just make it down to Rio on a whim, but then again, I took a much-needed vacation, so I ain't complaining.
Welcome back Bam, I was already convinced that you went to Rio for screwing around. Lol
Bam
Also I apologize for the absence. I was gone somewhere without reliable internet access, and looking back I should've gave a notification.
Either way, I'm back now, and will be jumping on getting those Berserk reviews out as soon as possible.
Bam
Man looky here with the renovations; I like it.
@Vyse: wow. So how was the sites then back from 2005?
@Kaiser: and what is that sh!te you're talking about?
VyseLegendaire
<— fixed
VyseLegendaire
<— me
VyseLegendaire
Ive been a reader since 2005
Haha, this'll be fun lol
.....that feeling when you keep going on about a show or film but fail to give all the details...and someone goes out and buys it not knowing the full extent of the mad shit their in for...s--t lol
any reader from 2005 here....
@Mario: This guy seems interesting: https://letterboxd.com/director/tsai-ming-liang/
@Mario: Hmm, not familiar with him.
I really really loved in the mood for love, alot, it emotionally effected me. I even watched it three times.
@Mario: I couldn't seem to enjoy any of Zimou yangs films apart from Hero, which had some pretty creative fight scenes. I've seen the story of Ricky and some of John-woos films but they were more just silly entertaining exploitation films.
Don't know if you know the Vietnamese-French Tran Anh Hung. His works are stunning too. If you want to check out East-Asian cinema don't forget to check him out.
@Kaiser: Yeah, but Park Chan Wood changed the ending, so the author insisted that the Handmaiden is more "inspired" than "based". The third chapter is the weakest part for me
@Mario: Of interest, The handmaiden was based on some British book/tv show.
I need to completely re-evaluate/get into more Chinese cinema.
Doesn't look like I've seen anything by Hong-sang-so.
My favourite Korean actor is song-kang-ho.
Theres an anime convention over here in Dublin in three months. Although I haven't been to one in years.
I'm heading to anime convention today. Normally I don't really care about those conventions but I figure I'd come this year to see the taste of it. The only hassle is it's 3-hour drive, which gonna be a pain when I drive back after a long day being there.
Bong Joon-ho, on the other hand,is incredible at writing. His scripts are often layered, sharp and best of all fuses many tones/ genres into one coherent whole. The best thing about this Korean New Wave directors is they all have very distinctive voices. But my favorite director isn't the ones that you list. That would be Hong Sang Soo. I just love his simplicity style so much.
@Kaiser: Park Chan Wood is a master of visual. Whenever I come to his movies I expected to be blown-away by his visual. He can write compelling characters (he loves his characters) as well but his screenplays in general are weak. You can watch his lesser effort "I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay" and see many things that made him good/bad. That's the movie I feel he made without the care of the critic
afgm
afgm
@koff: Yeah I can help. But midterms/finals are coming up so I can't dedicate to much time.
I always felt Bong-jong and Chang-dong , kim-di-duk and Kim-jee-woon were better than Park-chan-wook. Oldboy did have that one hell of an ending, so did lady vengeance but I feel that those are the bits people tend to remember and the rest was good but not great.
For anyone that doesn't regularly browse /r/anime, Godzilla is apparently getting an anime adaption by Polygon Pictures with Urobuchi involved. Should be good.
Well, I climbed to rank 52 in Overwatch with Tracer alone. Looking forward to season 2 already, but I do wish Blizzard had somehow implemented a single-player storyline since the lore in Blizzard titles is always so vast. Kind of surprised they didn't make one with Overwatch.
@Kaiser Watch Train to Busan if you can. Me neither, I can't dig too deep into Korean films due to the language barrier. Sure would be convenient to have Vincent recommending films again.
@afgm Hey, are you still interested in helping out with the site? At this point I'm looking over the site's code & doing some rewriting - if you think you can help, let me know.
@Mario I hadn't watched Old Boy for 6 years when I got to I Saw the Devil and it was out of mind for me, so you may be right.
@K-Off: maybe it was just me but I was underwhelmed by I Saw the Devil. The point it trying to match was similar to OldBoy, and Oldboy's execution was way better (OldBoy's one of my favorite movie). Yes, the soundtracks of OldBoy, Lady Vengeance are exceptional. I still listen to The Last Waltz after all those years...
The soundtrack in a lot of these Korean films are top notch as well, Lady Vengeance and I Saw the Devil in particular.
@Mario Speaking of which, Korean psychological thrillers are hands down some of the best in the last 10-20 years. I Saw the Devil, Lady Vengeance, Old Boy, list goes on.
@Aidan: It just comes to me that we're already half way of this season... Time sure flies
@Kaiser: so please finish up Inside Mari. The last chapter had been out. I need someone to talk about that goddamn manga anw
@Kaiser: I always consider the Korean New Wave started back in 2000, and really peaked in 2003 (OldBoy, Memories of Murders, Spring Summer..., A Tale of 2 Sisters). Before 2000? The only director I can think of was Im Kwon-Taek
About nearly finished Fata Morgana but I might have to finish doom first because that thing is eating a huge chunk of my SSD drive.
Back up to date...at least for now. I have to go to a wedding so It's likely I will fall behind again. Got to admit that I haven't had much of an opinion on the latest episodes. Might be just mentally drained personally.
@K-off: I totally agree with you. 28 Days Later is a gem. Though I'm not really into zombie genre as a whole, I'm more into psychological stuffs more.

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]