Posted by psgels on 26 June 2011 with categories: Tiger & Bunny

And wit this we conclude the first half of Tiger & Bunny. This episode was… interesting, because it wasn’t exactly the best episode of the TV-series. Because the previous episodes built it up so meticulously this episode pretty much did everything you’d expected, without much surprises aside from Kotetsu using his head again. It’s good build-up though: Barnaby and Tiger will receive a lot of development from this episode.

The thing with Tiger & Bunny is that it’s really entertaining when building up, and it looks like the random episodes will continue again after this arc, so this is definitely promising to become even better. It’s there where this series can really start using its build-up of the first half. I expect the second half of this series to continue with a similar pattern as the first half, with it ending with a climax that focuses both on Lunatic and the fact that the entire city looks like the Ouroboros logo.

What I do hope is that that final arc will use its characters more. That’s the only thing that really bothered me in this episode: in the end everyone aside from Kotetsu and Barnaby was pretty useless and the only parts where they actually helped to solve things were just… cut out. I want to see the creators come up with a story that doesn’t just require the powers of everyone, I want them to come up with a scenario that puts all of them in the spotlights. They’re all great characters, they deserve that.
Rating: * (Good)

1. kuromitsu says:

Thing is, this show is not about an ensemble cast, it’s about Tiger & Bunny. The other characters are fun and interesting as well but they’re not main characters. I think it’s not realistic to expect that the show will focus on them any more than it has until now.

In this episode they simply couldn’t have crammed detailed depictions of everyone’s work in. We were shown bits and pieces of what Blue Rose, Dragon Kid and Fire Emblem were up to, some shots of Origami and the others, but there was no reason to expect more. What they did was simply not the point.

2. Rex says:

“mind reading” i fucking called that in the last post! :p

anyway, as kuromitsu said, the focus is tiger and bunny, so of course the rest of the cast wont get as much screentime, but i looks like blue rose will get a lot of development next episode.

3. Outis says:

Personally, I thought most of the remaining heroes got a pretty good opportunity to shine. Origami was the one who delivered the vital intelligence tidbit about how to counteract the bears. They even pointed it out during the episode. Rose, Kid and Emblem took down the mechs, which would otherwise have left everyone still in the palm of Jake and Kriem, despite Barnaby’s victory. Only Skyhigh and poor Rock Bison had to job this time around, unless you count buying time.

Overall I thought the team effort was depicted well, even though it’s ultimately Barnaby who ended up as the figurehead of the rescue plan in public opinion.

One thing I found interesting was that the outcome seems to have solidified Lunatic’s views that evil must be exterminated, seeing how Jake (and maybe Kriem) got ultimately killed in the end, while they were trying to escape. Seems Lunatic stayed true to his word and waited to see where Tiger’s justice would lead, but I think he’ll go back into action now, since Tiger’s justice lead to the same conclusion that Lunatic’s justice would have (at least from his POV).

4. Pafiume says:

Watching this episode just made me angry. “Hey, you got one good kick at the bad guy Bunny so let’s just talk for like a day and ignore the bad guy while he’s lying down and perfectly able to probably stand up, or at least crawl, or at least snap his fingers in our general direction like he does to make his blast attacks.” I mean I know he was like derp i broke a rib, but is he so weak that he can’t even… I don’t know, that just really pissed me off. I guess Bunny choked him a little bit too, but still. He can’t be stupid enough to just sit there and wait for his henchman to yell at him while the guy’s he’s fighting talk to each other for like and hour completely ignoring him before deciding to get up. Oh well, at least Bunny will be less of a bitch the rest of the show, hopefully. No more angst.

5. gandalf8 says:

@Outis: If I’m not mistaken, Kriem survived. In the scene where the helicopter exploded, we can see that Kriem was lying on top of the stadium roof, with Kotetsu and Barnaby. The only one that I’m not so sure off is Jake, who looks like he died when the helicopter came crashing down.

6. Rex says:

@Pafiume

I dont think if i understand your post, i take it you didnt like Jake lying down while tiger and bunny was talking and he could just strike back?
    Its a “typical” movie trope, an untouchable bad guy cries like a wimp when he actually DOES get touched. We’ve seen this countless of times before and this was no different. That explains why he got so mad when kotetsu accidentally hit him.
    And here bunny gives him a few pretty hard hits plus he got choked a lot, so he might have been out for the count. Besides, they had figures out his power anyway so he would be easier to attack.

But like i said, typical movie cliche, the “untouchable god” isnt used to being touched.

7. Alhazred23 says:

So it was a 2-power situation; from the reactions of the other characters, we were apparently meant to think that NEXTs only get one power, since they had also thought that was the case. I wonder if they’ll make anything of it later, or if it was just a one-off fluke to make Jake more dangerous. Ah well… least my explanation made enough sense for Tiger to use it as his ‘fake’ explanation of Jake’s other power. ;P

I agree with Pafiume. Even if its a ‘standard’ bad guy cliche, it was rather disappointing for Jake to go into helpless ‘curl up and cry’ mode while the heroes patted each other on the back after getting a rib broken (which he was lucid enough to comment on specifically instead of just whimpering in pain) – especially since his surprise and fear quickly turned to berserker rage when Tiger hit him. Also, given that Bunny’s power had just been used (and he would easily be able to find out that Tiger was still injured has used his power recently as well), Jake should have been able to realize that the heroes had just used their ONE SHOT to hurt him, and were now essentially at his mercy.

It would have been less upsetting if he hadn’t taken SO LONG to do something (even if was just to try and escape).

8. LilyGinnyBlack says:

Knowing some information on future episodes makes it so that I don’t really have much complaints about the lack of screen time when it comes to the other heroes. Next week we are going to get an episode that will most likely focus on Karina’s crush on Kotetsu, in which she has been daughter-zoned since the moment he met her.

Episode 15 is going to be called “Sky’s the Limit…” and caused waterworks by the creators, so the fandom is expecting a Sky High focused episode and something sad.

There is also the fact that Kotetsu’s family does not consist solely of his mother and daughter.

Also, the Drama CD’s provide some good background to characters such as Antonio and Kotetsu’s wife. Kotetsu and Antonio knew each other since high school, in which Antonio (who is all about manliness) was a delinquent at another school nearby. But eventually became friends with Kotetsu after he finds out that some of his wannabe lackeys kidnapped Kotetsu’s class rep, who was a girl called Tomoe, who Kotetsu then rescues.

There are a lot of hints that Tomoe ends up being Kotetsu’s future wife (she loves heroes and is a huge fan of Hero TV, she helps Kotetsu figure out his superhero name, and by the end of the Drama CD she calls him Kotetsu-kun and he calls her Tomoe-chan…And then gets hit in the stomach for it).

There is also another Drama CD that only just came out and deals with Blue Rose having an Idol radio program. She has her issues with it though and the special guest is Barnaby who basically trolls her:

Barnaby: “Next weeks guest is going to be Wild Tiger.”

Karina: “Really!?”

Barnaby: “No, only joking.” XD

So, by having these Drama CDs and just a bit of future knowledge, I wasn’t all that bothered by the way this episode mostly focused on Barnaby and Kotetsu. Though, I could see how not having it could make it seem like the other characters aren’t getting as much screen time as they could be getting (though the Girls Team was fantastic!!)

Still, as others have said Tiger and Bunny is the name of the show and they are the main focus of this series. I also think that some of the other heroes will have more focus than the others.

It seems that they spent the first half of the series building up Kotetsu’s respect among the younger heroes of the program (Karina, Barnaby, Ivan, and Pao-lin), which is why those characters got more focused episodes. The second season will probably deal with him getting the respect and praise he deserves from the public.

Overall there were a lot of things that I really liked about this episode, then again I am also part of the periphery demographic and they really, really know how to please that demographic, especially with this episode: there was a ton of fangirl fodder here.

Ah, sorry for the extremely long comment. Just thought some extra information on the characters would be good to know. ^.~

9. Rex says:

Yeah, that drama CD was pretty good, and im positive we will also see some of it in the series itself, they have hinted many times at kotetsu’s past, but the first season has been primarily barnaby. Now its kotetsu’s turn. Also his wife sounds like perfect waifu material so thats something to look forward to as well.

Also, something i didnt say in the comments about the past episode, is that we actually got to see just how powerful Sky High is. We’ve been told he is number 1, but never saw him in actual action. But after watching him furiously attacking Jake, he is definetly not someone to screw around with.

10. LilyGinnyBlack says:

Some fans, myself included, have also been thinking that Jake wasn’t the one who killed Barnaby’s parents. I’ve been having this thought ever since the whole “I don’t remember killing them” incident between Jake and Barnaby.

There is also the fact that we keep seeing Barnaby’s flashback, and with each one the scene (as well as the face of the murderer) becomes clearer. The murderer also used a gun, which never really made the “Jake is Barnaby’s parents killer” sit well with me and other fans.

It seems more likely than ever that Barnaby’s parents killer may have been a normal human, rather than a NEXT (maybe a lackey kinda like how Chuckman was) for the leader of Ouroboros (maybe Maverick?) or even Maverick himself.

I’m really looking forward to where the second half of this series is going to go.

11. Rex says:

Yeah, maybe he was just fucking with barnaby just like Lunatic did when he was asked about oruroboros. Good point about the gun, i thought about it quickly but didnt give it much thought after.

But there is a huge overarching theory, that i myself has been proactive about, that the entire government (mostly maverick) is fooling the heroes and the citizens.
    I will try and make it very short so you can put the pieces together yourself:
    – Heroes promote different companies
    – Those companies want the heroes to keep promoting because its so popular
    – Government pays/hires criminals to do, well, criminal stuff
    – Heroes think they are acting out justice
    – They are instead, being used as pawns in a political game of money
    – Lunatic has seen through their plans, but cant bring them down because of his position, he would be found out too quickly and/or it would be too suspicious.
    – Also, he hates the heroes because they enact this “wrong kind of justice”, and he thinks they are in on it, that is why he attacks them.
    – He is neither with ouroboros or the heroes, he is a third party. A joker so to speak.
    – Also, if you look at an overhead map of the city, you can draw out ouroboros logo on it.

there are many more tidbits to this theory, but you get the gist of it.

12. LilyGinnyBlack says:

@Rex: Oh, I know about that theory and am a huge supporter of it. I’ve been a fan of it ever since it showed up on the internet and ever since Maverick really started giving off creepy vibes. I also think that Lunatic may have personally infiltrated the place to take down the whole conspiracy, since he doesn’t really seem to like Maverick or any of the other sponsors really, and he has an anti-hero vibe about him.

Also, while this doesn’t have to do with the big conspiracy theory directly, I also would not be surprised in the least if, somewhere down the road, Agnes goes too far with her obsession with viewer ratings and eventually the other staff members end up going against one of her decisions. Connecting that in with the above theory though, I could also easily see her getting used by Maverick (if he is indeed the one pulling all the strings) in the end.

13. SpacyRicochet says:

Agreeing with the guys that are saying that this isn’t an ensemble show. It’s a ‘Tiger and Bunny’ show (it’s the title that gives it away). I for one applaud the fact that the show doesn’t really focus on all of the supporting cast all that much during climactic arcs.

It’s my main gripe about shounen series in general; “I’m trying to watch Naruto! Naruto! The guy in the title! I don’t care overly much about the idiotic amount of other characters you came up with!”

14. I do wonder if they might be pushing a Tiger/Blue Rose relationship. Also, we haven’t gotten perspectives of Rock Bison and Sky High. I hope the 2nd half addresses that.

I wrote about T&B and its reflection on media & heroes at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/7058545573/tiger-and-bunny-heroes

You bring up a good point that the city looks like Ouroboros. Will the organization even make a comeback?

Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100