Posted by psgels on 5 July 2011 with categories: Steins;Gate

Okay, so I do think that Okabe was overacting a tad too much in the first half of this episode. This stands out more than usual because the acting in this series was always so great, but that’s where the melodrama got a bit too much, especially because it caused him to not think of the obvious solution of using the time machine to travel further back in time. I also think it was a bit cheap for this episode to just “announce” that Okabe tried every possible way to save Mayuri: I understand that it was for time issues, but I would have liked to have seen Okabe to try some more and exploit other possibilities.

On the other hand though, this episode got right back on track when Christina returned to the main picture. Her level-headedness was exactly what Rintarou needed, and the plot turned really interesting with the actual introduction of leaping beyond the 2,5 hours of the previous episode. The big twist at the end that Suzuha turned out to be John Titor makes perfect sense. The prospect of severely altering time in the next episode also makes yet again for one hell of a cliff-hanger.

I do have to wonder what Suzuha meant with that the Y2K problem was one of the moments where world lines greatly converged based upon the choices made. Of course I was only 12 when it happened, but was it really as important as the Gulf War? I rather would have guessed that 9/11, the invention of the internet or the birth of social media would have counted as that.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. jmsm says:

Overacting? I have to disagree. I mean, he was desperous, try to put yourself in his position… If it was me, i couldn’t think properly. That’s why Kurisu is so important. Just as you said, she put Okabe back in the track.

What a show… I can’t wait for the next one! Keep it up Psgels! ;)

2. kurini says:

I thought Suzuha had a time leap but she turns out to be a time traveler :O It’s not suprising but it makes the story way more interesting!

Haha, now I know how years old is psgel! XD

3. kurini says:

Now I think about it, maybe Kurisu didn’t die because suzuha came and splited the world line :O

4. Frost says:

So why did Suhuza wait for something like this to happen before spilling the beans? Let me guess… She thought no one would believe her if she said it earlier

Anyway I love this.. 11/10 right now

5. UnknownVoice says:

Y2K if it was real, could have destroyed the infrastructure of WHOLE WORLD.

yes it was more serious probability than 9/11.

6. garfield15 says:

“because it caused him to not think of the obvious solution of using the time machine to travel further back in time”

#1: He can only travel back 48 hours
    #2: Even if he travels back said 2 days and cancels the experiment, SERN will still know that he hacked into them. He will still be hunted by them
    #3: No matter what he tries (currently), in that time frame, Mayuri will still die at that particular time so travelling back further will be pointless.

7. barat says:

For one, Okabe acted like any normal human would in such a situation. You can’t tell me witnessing your friend die several times and not being able to prevent it, you’d be calm cool and collected. You’d be going freaking nuts.

As for Y2K problem I’m guessing there are world lines in which the bug destroyed the whole world. Wasn’t that obvious guys? Like how there would be world lines for the Gulf War were like it became WW3 or something.

The thing I love about this series is that it doesn’t treat the viewer like an idiot. It presumes that the viewer is of somewhat intelligence to have watched up until now and it keeps throwing some intelligent and creative curve balls. It’s brilliant.

Let’s not forget the art direction was brilliant in this episode. The scene where Mayuri is shot in the car and the screen becomes white and cracks with lines of red. Was very artistic.

Alright that’s it for me. Thoughts?

8. Wolf says:

I’m old enough to remember Y2K clearly. It was a HUGE issue… Well, it was until January 1, 2000, when everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

9. Wolf says:

The fears about Y2K were astronomical. Airplanes were expected to fall from the sky, the global banks were expected to crash, nuclear power plants were expected to exlode. Even the less-than-paranoid made a point of purchasing extra water and canned foods, just in case. The most paranoid purchased artillery and those paranoid AND wealthy purchased and/or built underground bunkers to survive nuclear fallout.

10. Rex says:

Ah, Y2K, its been a long time since i heard that. I actually smiled when they mentioned it in this episode, brings back memories.
    I remember you could even buy a hardware device that you plugged into a free ram slot in your computer, that would protect your pc from the bug. lol!

But like others said, Suzuha mentioned big events in recent times where the fate of the entire world COULD have been changed. And if Y2K had happened, your blog wouldnt exist psgels.

Either way, i didnt think he was overreacting, you have to remember that first of all, okabe is supposed to be 17! Yes freaking 17 (or was it 18?). lol japan. Anyway, so first of all, he isnt very old, secondly he cant handle a crisis very well, not to mention the fact he cant save his childhood friend. Knowing she will die whatever he does is quite a hard fact to swallow.

Also another thing: When okabe says he cant change mayuri’s fate, we see a quick glimpse of mayuri turned to green jelly with her hands stuck in the wall behind her. Now THATS pretty damn interesting to note, seeing as one would only turn to jelly if you PHYSICALLY travel back in time, with a 2010 timemachine (i mention it as a “2010 timemachine”, as suzuha’s from 2036 is obviously good enough to travel with people back in time without turning into jello).
    I wonder how that happened?

11. chounokoe says:

I have to agree with everyone. Even though I was only 15 back then Y2K was a huge deal…I’m normally not that easily scared or paranoid, but that one even got to me. Had it actually happened it would have had a huge impact on world history…it basically would have destroyed all leading nations.

Looking back on it, I’m still kinda surprised how it went by without anything happening at all…the date just switched and it was a simple day like any other…just in a new century.
    It’s not that hard to imagine that maybe many more things happened in the background that we never actually witnessed, which might even have lead to a grave difference in how the world ended up.

Well that’s what Steins;Gate stresses, isn’t it?! It’s just a matter of 1% to turn the world upside down and even smaller things can be a huge deal to an individual…
    The difference in worldstructure is just a bit over 0,33% from what I suppose is Okabe’s original world line…that’s just a third of 1%, something we perceive as almost nonexistent. Yet this difference is big enough to make Akiba into a whole different town, keep all the Otaku in Nakano, prevent one woman from dying, wake a sleeper assassin, turn a guy into a girl, make a store have Dr. Pepper…and probably many other different things as well.

12. Wolf says:

Can anyone explain to me why, for just a brief instant, Mayuri is shown as a jelly man? If you can’t do it without spoiling something, I’d prefer not to know. But, it definitely caught my eye.

13. garfield15 says:

One of the time leaps. In it, Mayuri was attempted to be sent back, but she was jellyfied. There were a lot of time leaps, and it would have been hard to show them all in the timeframe of this show

14. gecd says:

SERN kidnaps mayuri, use her for their experiment and sent the pic to okarin

15. sadakups says:

I had a Fringe feeling in this episode.

16. MooN says:

I have a faint feeling suzuha is actually okabe’s daughter or something..

Remember Suzuha said she came here to meet her dad.. and there was a point whereby it will decide whether she stays or leaves..

And.. Okabe turned up to stop her from leaving..

17. kkg says:

with Y2K we had TWO PROBLEMS.
    One is the computer bug, the other being the day before was the end of the world! lol

18. Suzushina Yuriko says:

The dates Suzuha mentioned as being major issues that determined significant world lines were actually the events the original John Titor predicted as being catastrophic. I think it’s pretty cool how the show implies that our current world is the result of someone diverting the world lines so that the things John Titor predicted were avoided.

Overly dramatic? He’s seen his closest friend die multiple times and couldn’t do anything about it. Okabe’s reaction is natural and not overacting at all.

To MooN – I think Suzuha would know if Okabe was her dad. It was implied in this episode that he contributed greatly to time travel in the future because he made the divergence meter. Suzuha does not know the entire identity of Barrel Titor but she knows Okabe Rintarou quite well. The facts don’t add up.

19. Wolf says:

@Suzushina Yuriko
    You’re assuming that everything the girl said has been said in truth. If we were to take everything she’s said as truth, then little would make sense. For example, she believes Kris to be bad news, yet she showed the opposite of hostility to her in this episode; she has said that her father is Barrel Titor (I bet it’s because he’s fat lol), but that she is unaware of any John Titor. Furthermore, there was that strange point where the time line changed such that John Titor did not travel back to 2000.
    And, would someone please extrapolate on Jel-Mayuri???

20. hurin says:

Y2K was a big problem, the reason nothing happened was it got solved in time. This then gave many the false impression there was no problem to begin with.

The problem started back in the 70’s, when RAM was extremely expensive. To save RAM programmers would often only use the last two digits of a year, so 1975 would be programmed as 75, and 2000 would become 00, see the problem?

21. yajyaj says:

in some episode she wanted to meet her dad at the same time and place as daru had a apointment, just the dmail stoped that, so i guess daru is her dad

22. m says:

The ‘real’ John Titor was also a Y2K crank, and there was also the whole ‘end of the world’ bit from superstitious people. It makes for a convenient anchor for the audience too.

23. Scruffy says:

Y2K certainly did cause real problems. For instance in New Zealand a bug in the PLC’s in an Aluminium smelter caused all the pot lines to shut down which caused a massive amount of damage to the plant. It just didn’t cause the end of the world :) I remember a paranoid friend of mine left London and came back to NZ because he thought it was safer here. ALSO, it managed to find gainful employment for those COBOL programmers!

24. oroboros says:

Yes, @MooN I got the same, distinct feeling. Somewhat similar to Phoenix (Rachel Summers) from the X-Men when she traveled back in time before she was born to meet her parents Scott Summers & Jean Grey, but in a different timeline where the original Phoenix didn’t die.

25. Rex says:

Suzuha is Daru’s daughter. No its not a spoiler, its actually VERY obvious in the episode where she says she will look for her dad.

I just want to know, beside from my post above, where the original john titor is.

26. Suzushina Yuriko says:

@ Wolf – I heard that the game actually had Suzuha and Kurisu fight and then make up, which would explain the lack of hostility. She said that her father is Barrel Titor, but I don’t remember a point in time where she said she didn’t know of John Titor – in fact, she actively encouraged Okabe to contact him instead. It’s very possible that Okabe’s shifting from world line alpha to world line beta caused the identity and destination of John Titor to change.

I don’t think Suzuha is lying. There’s no reason for her to lie in the first place if Okabe actually contributed to her cause in 2036, meaning that he’s trustworthy.

For Jel-Mayuri, I heard that SERN kidnapped her, used her for an experiment, and Moeka sent the picture to Okabe later.

27. AKI says:

Steins;Gate is way too good! I’m wishing I could watch Episode 15 right now. >.

28. Anon says:

You’re younger than I thought! Opinions diverge greatly on whether the Y2K problem was anywhere as big a threat as all the hype back then would have you believe. Whether because of the tremendous resources spent on “fixing” it or simply because the problem was minor to begin with, once 2000 rolled over there were only a few actual problems and all of them quite minor.

What we can say for sure is that there was a lot of hype propagated on purpose, with the intent of making people pay for fixing problems that in many but not all cases were nonexistent. You can be sure that some people made a good profit on this :)

With 2012 coming close, doomsday propagandists should be ramping up their campaigns in the coming months once again.

29. Fedek says:

One of the most unique anime series in history, im playing the game.

The anime is such a good adaptation.

I want games to be adapted like Stein; Gate

Guess we can put that down as one of the most important things a critic needs. Self Awareness.
@Anon, I won't deny having an inflated sense of worth but Nostalgia blindness? You are reaching man.
Just like you :)
Anyway I never heard of this guy and he seems like the usually case of Nostalgia blindness and inflated sense of worth. Nothing really worth concerning ourselves about.
"How can I be pretentious when I mean everything I say?" Oh silly silly fool. Being an idiot doesn't mean you can't be pretentious.
I bring him up because I feel he'd be more controversial than Tenka seiha/aroduc or digibro.
Roriconfan/thatanimesnob/Peter Malousis: [link src="https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnob
I don't know who would that be either Kaiser? A V-blogger?
Who?
We talk about digibro on here, yet we never talk about Rorico.
I agree
Shitcunt is the greatest anime villain of all time. End of argument.
Best villain was clearly JJ. JJ is actually the best character for every category.
@SuperMario, I just felt there was some social context to the discussion with the boss that I missed.
Bah, haven't you heard, the best villain category was for the dictionary in Lost passage, must have been bastard-hard effort getting that compiled =P
To sum that up, don't bully my waifu or I will end you.
@Mario, She only killed him once and tortured him for information once. Both times because he had something which showed he had a connection to the witch. Besides, the anime mainly showed off her good points but she still has a crushing inferiority complex and a rather delicate mindset.
Oh I have one. How about Lovepon? lol
@Topgavin: it was sarcasm actually, if we do it again next year we might cut down some categories. But I totally agree that we're lacking of good villains. Biba and that teacher are the worst as they actually dragged their shows down.
Honestly though there's been a real lacking of good villains last year. I hear some guy from Jojo was pretty good, but other than that they've either been okay or lackluster. Makes you wonder how FMA:B managed to get so many villians right in so many ways when shows usually fail to get even 1 half as good.
@Supermario Biba or Teacher-dude from Erased surely...
Maybe we should include the best villain next time, haha. I honestly don't know who to pick...
oh Rem, that demon girl who tried to kill Subaru many times over. Why is she the best girl again?
@Kaiser: I watched Moonlight last night in cinema and it was great. I had high expectation for that and it pretty much delivered. Also Janelle Monae was so freaking hot.
OMG, that 3rd episode of Rakugo was so greattttt. @Lenlo: don't need to understand the meaning of the rant thou, Yotaro doesn't understand either
Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100