Posted by psgels on 5 July 2011 with categories: Steins;Gate

Okay, so I do think that Okabe was overacting a tad too much in the first half of this episode. This stands out more than usual because the acting in this series was always so great, but that’s where the melodrama got a bit too much, especially because it caused him to not think of the obvious solution of using the time machine to travel further back in time. I also think it was a bit cheap for this episode to just “announce” that Okabe tried every possible way to save Mayuri: I understand that it was for time issues, but I would have liked to have seen Okabe to try some more and exploit other possibilities.

On the other hand though, this episode got right back on track when Christina returned to the main picture. Her level-headedness was exactly what Rintarou needed, and the plot turned really interesting with the actual introduction of leaping beyond the 2,5 hours of the previous episode. The big twist at the end that Suzuha turned out to be John Titor makes perfect sense. The prospect of severely altering time in the next episode also makes yet again for one hell of a cliff-hanger.

I do have to wonder what Suzuha meant with that the Y2K problem was one of the moments where world lines greatly converged based upon the choices made. Of course I was only 12 when it happened, but was it really as important as the Gulf War? I rather would have guessed that 9/11, the invention of the internet or the birth of social media would have counted as that.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. jmsm says:

Overacting? I have to disagree. I mean, he was desperous, try to put yourself in his position… If it was me, i couldn’t think properly. That’s why Kurisu is so important. Just as you said, she put Okabe back in the track.

What a show… I can’t wait for the next one! Keep it up Psgels! ;)

2. kurini says:

I thought Suzuha had a time leap but she turns out to be a time traveler :O It’s not suprising but it makes the story way more interesting!

Haha, now I know how years old is psgel! XD

3. kurini says:

Now I think about it, maybe Kurisu didn’t die because suzuha came and splited the world line :O

4. Frost says:

So why did Suhuza wait for something like this to happen before spilling the beans? Let me guess… She thought no one would believe her if she said it earlier

Anyway I love this.. 11/10 right now

5. UnknownVoice says:

Y2K if it was real, could have destroyed the infrastructure of WHOLE WORLD.

yes it was more serious probability than 9/11.

6. garfield15 says:

“because it caused him to not think of the obvious solution of using the time machine to travel further back in time”

#1: He can only travel back 48 hours
    #2: Even if he travels back said 2 days and cancels the experiment, SERN will still know that he hacked into them. He will still be hunted by them
    #3: No matter what he tries (currently), in that time frame, Mayuri will still die at that particular time so travelling back further will be pointless.

7. barat says:

For one, Okabe acted like any normal human would in such a situation. You can’t tell me witnessing your friend die several times and not being able to prevent it, you’d be calm cool and collected. You’d be going freaking nuts.

As for Y2K problem I’m guessing there are world lines in which the bug destroyed the whole world. Wasn’t that obvious guys? Like how there would be world lines for the Gulf War were like it became WW3 or something.

The thing I love about this series is that it doesn’t treat the viewer like an idiot. It presumes that the viewer is of somewhat intelligence to have watched up until now and it keeps throwing some intelligent and creative curve balls. It’s brilliant.

Let’s not forget the art direction was brilliant in this episode. The scene where Mayuri is shot in the car and the screen becomes white and cracks with lines of red. Was very artistic.

Alright that’s it for me. Thoughts?

8. Wolf says:

I’m old enough to remember Y2K clearly. It was a HUGE issue… Well, it was until January 1, 2000, when everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

9. Wolf says:

The fears about Y2K were astronomical. Airplanes were expected to fall from the sky, the global banks were expected to crash, nuclear power plants were expected to exlode. Even the less-than-paranoid made a point of purchasing extra water and canned foods, just in case. The most paranoid purchased artillery and those paranoid AND wealthy purchased and/or built underground bunkers to survive nuclear fallout.

10. Rex says:

Ah, Y2K, its been a long time since i heard that. I actually smiled when they mentioned it in this episode, brings back memories.
    I remember you could even buy a hardware device that you plugged into a free ram slot in your computer, that would protect your pc from the bug. lol!

But like others said, Suzuha mentioned big events in recent times where the fate of the entire world COULD have been changed. And if Y2K had happened, your blog wouldnt exist psgels.

Either way, i didnt think he was overreacting, you have to remember that first of all, okabe is supposed to be 17! Yes freaking 17 (or was it 18?). lol japan. Anyway, so first of all, he isnt very old, secondly he cant handle a crisis very well, not to mention the fact he cant save his childhood friend. Knowing she will die whatever he does is quite a hard fact to swallow.

Also another thing: When okabe says he cant change mayuri’s fate, we see a quick glimpse of mayuri turned to green jelly with her hands stuck in the wall behind her. Now THATS pretty damn interesting to note, seeing as one would only turn to jelly if you PHYSICALLY travel back in time, with a 2010 timemachine (i mention it as a “2010 timemachine”, as suzuha’s from 2036 is obviously good enough to travel with people back in time without turning into jello).
    I wonder how that happened?

11. chounokoe says:

I have to agree with everyone. Even though I was only 15 back then Y2K was a huge deal…I’m normally not that easily scared or paranoid, but that one even got to me. Had it actually happened it would have had a huge impact on world history…it basically would have destroyed all leading nations.

Looking back on it, I’m still kinda surprised how it went by without anything happening at all…the date just switched and it was a simple day like any other…just in a new century.
    It’s not that hard to imagine that maybe many more things happened in the background that we never actually witnessed, which might even have lead to a grave difference in how the world ended up.

Well that’s what Steins;Gate stresses, isn’t it?! It’s just a matter of 1% to turn the world upside down and even smaller things can be a huge deal to an individual…
    The difference in worldstructure is just a bit over 0,33% from what I suppose is Okabe’s original world line…that’s just a third of 1%, something we perceive as almost nonexistent. Yet this difference is big enough to make Akiba into a whole different town, keep all the Otaku in Nakano, prevent one woman from dying, wake a sleeper assassin, turn a guy into a girl, make a store have Dr. Pepper…and probably many other different things as well.

12. Wolf says:

Can anyone explain to me why, for just a brief instant, Mayuri is shown as a jelly man? If you can’t do it without spoiling something, I’d prefer not to know. But, it definitely caught my eye.

13. garfield15 says:

One of the time leaps. In it, Mayuri was attempted to be sent back, but she was jellyfied. There were a lot of time leaps, and it would have been hard to show them all in the timeframe of this show

14. gecd says:

SERN kidnaps mayuri, use her for their experiment and sent the pic to okarin

15. sadakups says:

I had a Fringe feeling in this episode.

16. MooN says:

I have a faint feeling suzuha is actually okabe’s daughter or something..

Remember Suzuha said she came here to meet her dad.. and there was a point whereby it will decide whether she stays or leaves..

And.. Okabe turned up to stop her from leaving..

17. kkg says:

with Y2K we had TWO PROBLEMS.
    One is the computer bug, the other being the day before was the end of the world! lol

18. Suzushina Yuriko says:

The dates Suzuha mentioned as being major issues that determined significant world lines were actually the events the original John Titor predicted as being catastrophic. I think it’s pretty cool how the show implies that our current world is the result of someone diverting the world lines so that the things John Titor predicted were avoided.

Overly dramatic? He’s seen his closest friend die multiple times and couldn’t do anything about it. Okabe’s reaction is natural and not overacting at all.

To MooN – I think Suzuha would know if Okabe was her dad. It was implied in this episode that he contributed greatly to time travel in the future because he made the divergence meter. Suzuha does not know the entire identity of Barrel Titor but she knows Okabe Rintarou quite well. The facts don’t add up.

19. Wolf says:

@Suzushina Yuriko
    You’re assuming that everything the girl said has been said in truth. If we were to take everything she’s said as truth, then little would make sense. For example, she believes Kris to be bad news, yet she showed the opposite of hostility to her in this episode; she has said that her father is Barrel Titor (I bet it’s because he’s fat lol), but that she is unaware of any John Titor. Furthermore, there was that strange point where the time line changed such that John Titor did not travel back to 2000.
    And, would someone please extrapolate on Jel-Mayuri???

20. hurin says:

Y2K was a big problem, the reason nothing happened was it got solved in time. This then gave many the false impression there was no problem to begin with.

The problem started back in the 70’s, when RAM was extremely expensive. To save RAM programmers would often only use the last two digits of a year, so 1975 would be programmed as 75, and 2000 would become 00, see the problem?

21. yajyaj says:

in some episode she wanted to meet her dad at the same time and place as daru had a apointment, just the dmail stoped that, so i guess daru is her dad

22. m says:

The ‘real’ John Titor was also a Y2K crank, and there was also the whole ‘end of the world’ bit from superstitious people. It makes for a convenient anchor for the audience too.

23. Scruffy says:

Y2K certainly did cause real problems. For instance in New Zealand a bug in the PLC’s in an Aluminium smelter caused all the pot lines to shut down which caused a massive amount of damage to the plant. It just didn’t cause the end of the world :) I remember a paranoid friend of mine left London and came back to NZ because he thought it was safer here. ALSO, it managed to find gainful employment for those COBOL programmers!

24. oroboros says:

Yes, @MooN I got the same, distinct feeling. Somewhat similar to Phoenix (Rachel Summers) from the X-Men when she traveled back in time before she was born to meet her parents Scott Summers & Jean Grey, but in a different timeline where the original Phoenix didn’t die.

25. Rex says:

Suzuha is Daru’s daughter. No its not a spoiler, its actually VERY obvious in the episode where she says she will look for her dad.

I just want to know, beside from my post above, where the original john titor is.

26. Suzushina Yuriko says:

@ Wolf – I heard that the game actually had Suzuha and Kurisu fight and then make up, which would explain the lack of hostility. She said that her father is Barrel Titor, but I don’t remember a point in time where she said she didn’t know of John Titor – in fact, she actively encouraged Okabe to contact him instead. It’s very possible that Okabe’s shifting from world line alpha to world line beta caused the identity and destination of John Titor to change.

I don’t think Suzuha is lying. There’s no reason for her to lie in the first place if Okabe actually contributed to her cause in 2036, meaning that he’s trustworthy.

For Jel-Mayuri, I heard that SERN kidnapped her, used her for an experiment, and Moeka sent the picture to Okabe later.

27. AKI says:

Steins;Gate is way too good! I’m wishing I could watch Episode 15 right now. >.

28. Anon says:

You’re younger than I thought! Opinions diverge greatly on whether the Y2K problem was anywhere as big a threat as all the hype back then would have you believe. Whether because of the tremendous resources spent on “fixing” it or simply because the problem was minor to begin with, once 2000 rolled over there were only a few actual problems and all of them quite minor.

What we can say for sure is that there was a lot of hype propagated on purpose, with the intent of making people pay for fixing problems that in many but not all cases were nonexistent. You can be sure that some people made a good profit on this :)

With 2012 coming close, doomsday propagandists should be ramping up their campaigns in the coming months once again.

29. Fedek says:

One of the most unique anime series in history, im playing the game.

The anime is such a good adaptation.

I want games to be adapted like Stein; Gate

Mail will not be published
  • Bam
    (Tuesday, Oct 6. 2015 09:02 PM)
    One-Punch Man’s pilot was almost adapted flawlessly. It straight up uses the manga panels as it’s main storyboard, but added just enough new touches to improve the action instead of ruining it. Now let’s see how they animate the mosquitos and all the lasers for the next episode.
  • Bam
    (Tuesday, Oct 6. 2015 08:57 PM)
    And that’s why Madhouse is one of the few respectable studios left. I thought that they will be seriously diminished after Masao Maruyama took some of its key members and funded MAPPA, but One-Punch Man showed that they are still one of the best in the business.
  • k-off
    (Tuesday, Oct 6. 2015 08:51 PM)
    @Kaiser The anime industry isn’t advanced enough in CG to make it look good, is all it is.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Tuesday, Oct 6. 2015 05:51 PM)
    @K-off: Your not wrong, it certainly looks poor but some of the old gonzo animated stuff was far more woeful looking. Stellvia, which was done by xebec was another example of old anime cgi which was quite ugly to look at. Just as I prefer traditional effects in film I also prefer traditional animation techniques to cg.
  • k-off
    (Tuesday, Oct 6. 2015 05:42 PM)
    Lately, the use of badly integrated cgi have been making my eyes sore,from the obviously cgi background characters in Asterisk to the overly fluid mech movements in Aldnoah. I still remember the shitty cgi piano hands in Kimi no Uso.
  • Bam
    (Tuesday, Oct 6. 2015 12:04 AM)
    On the note of good balance between humor and drama- I think BoJack Horseman is an example of a show that executed that almost perfectly in both seasons. You are laughing one minute and amused by the hijinks and silliness and the next minute you are actually moved and shocked by the honest introspection. Too be honest BoJack is more a tragic character then a goofy one, and his struggles are deeper and more existential than they have any business being in a show with anthropomorphic animals.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Oct 5. 2015 11:56 PM)
    The changes in the setting actually made me more excited for season 3 then what I felt the past few weeks, since now the plot needs to move forward from the cliffhanger and hopefully this translates to more cohesion and refocusing on what mad the show great in the first place. I’m pretty sure S3 will also be a blend of episodic and arch story elements tho. Overall a few ups and downs but still a great show.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Oct 5. 2015 11:52 PM)
    The finale also had some of the most overall arch story elements featured in the season. Earth joining the Galactic Federation is a big deal story-wise from now on. Also the use of a cover of Johnny Cash’s “Hurt” (not the Nine Inch Nails one clearly) was a nice fitting yet surprising touch. The throwback to Mr. PB after the credits was a good idea, but felt flat in it’s actual execution.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Oct 5. 2015 11:49 PM)
    I thought R&M had a pretty good finale. The episode achieved what was missing from most of season 2, and that was a balance of randomness and meaningful bits. What made Rick Potion #9 and the previous season’s finale and general tone great was a sense of humor that was combined with more sincere drama and character developments; a sort of sweet melancholy.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Oct 5. 2015 09:51 PM)
    @K-off, not having too much trouble with the interface but I still cannot create categories.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Gangsta. – 58/100

Gangsta is an anime with a lot of things going for it. A mature cast, gritty themes, a interesting setting and a trio of main characters who can carry the show. However due to a number of factors it never quite reached its potential. The main trio of characters are unconventional and quite interesting with […]

Gangsta. – 12

Normally one expects a final episode to be well…final. Right from the start you could tell Gangsta wasn’t going to make an effort to form some kind of ending with it wasting far too much time on things that don’t really matter at this point. By episode’s end I was actually questioning whether this truly […]

Gakkou Gurashi! – 80/100

Gakkou is one with a good facade as promotional material would have you believe it was some dime a dozen moe slice of life. I was one who wasn’t fooled by the cute cuddly exterior but I was truly surprised with just how good this anime ended up being. Gakkou is one of those rare […]

Gakkou Gurashi! – 12

The ending to Gakkou leaves me with a feeling similar to that I felt after watching Madoka’s final two episodes. The ending isn’t inherently bad but I can’t help but feel like I have been cheated. When you tease darkness and provide instead light its hard to appreciate. Contract to popular belief, not everyone loves […]

Gangsta. – 11

Gangsta has a serious problem on its hands. So far the past 11 episodes have been building up something and it’s clear that this buildup will not be utilised in the remaining episode. We got a setting, characters(though aside from the main trio a number of them need development) and an antagonist but we don’t […]

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There! – 12

It’s a good thing a second season of Gate was announced as it ending on this episode would be a poor round up to the series indeed. The biggest hanging thread is the Dark elf and her dilemma of returning to the village to tell them that help is not coming or resorting to […]

Gakkou Gurashi! – 11

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here. Things are looking grimmer and grimmer for our four heroines as Yuuri can’t bring herself to kill Kurumi, Miki is trapped on the lower floors and zombies have subsequently knocked out the power and overrun the school. Leaving a surprisingly stable Yuki to save everyone’s hides. The zombies […]

Gangsta. – 10

So our girl Erica turns out to be the twin of Delio and I wouldn’t be surprised if you can’t remember who Delio is. He’s the white haired guy who’s a weak twilight that works as a bodyguard for Monroe. It’s revealed that she was abducted when she was a kid and this is the […]

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There! – 11

If it’s one thing this episode has taught us it’s that you should never cockblock a Goth-loita demi-gods plans for the night. Anime truly is the greatest teacher one could have, even more so than a yellow squid creature that moves at mach speed but not quite on the level of a gangster leader with […]

Gangsta. – 58/100

Gakkou Gurashi! – 80/100

Little Witch Academia The Enchanted Parade – 81/100

I wonder when it was that a film being childish became a flaw. As a medium grows it takes steps to aim to mature itself and seek a more intellectual level of presenting entertainment. Animation did it as Anime aimed to explore terrontry that cartoons refuse to explore and video games only recently broke away […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks Review – 85/100

For a long time now this adaption has been the dreams of many a Fate fan with many believing it would never come to pass, but now that it is here is it everything that we dreamed? Short answer to this is no, long answer is nearly. I feel this show will have many divided […]

Shirobako Review – 80/100

When you see a harem anime and sigh as the breasts of the female lead jiggle with every step and wind that can flip a skirt it’s easy to forget that somewhere in Japan a group of people worked hard to get that jiggle right and draw each frame of animation. The hardships of the […]

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]