Posted by psgels on 4 August 2011 with categories: No.6

This episode really grabbed me by surprise. Not only was it exceptionally good and well produced, but also just about everything that happened here was against what you’d expect or came out of left field. This episode built up a ton of questions, it showed the cast in a completely different light, on top of being absolutely gorgeous to watch.

This episode took two completely unrelated characters: Nezumi and Safu, and had them experience the same hallucination at the same time. Erm, why? On top of that, against expectations the bees turn out to be active during the winter, and they seem to be related to these hallucinations in which they could talk. Again: how the hell is that happening? On top of that, Shion’s mom’s friend is suddenly afraid of mice, Then Shion suddenly comes and catches Nezumi unguarded, and then Safu is coming back, of all things. How the hell are the creators going to weave all of that together? And will the show still be running when we get to that point?

On top of that… that dance scene. Holy crap, that was well animated. The characters really came alive and the visual direction was utterly gorgeous. This episode on top of that had poetry and theatre as well, making it artistic in many different ways. It was a bit strange to see Nezumi in women’s clothing, but it does make sense: traditionally in Shakespearean plays, the female parts were all played by men as well.

Also, shock! This episode actually included a kiss that wasn’t overly romanticized.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Juri says:

ah man… it´s a compeling story, i want more… where is the story heading to?!!! I just can´t wait the next episode…

2. balamunka says:

The boys name is actually Sion, a small detail i know, not sure why everyone keeps adding a H.

3. kittychick says:

I respect you even more as a reviewer now. A lot of people (especially straight guys) would have run screaming from this show by now because of the romantic overtones, but you continue to see this anime for the great story it has to tell about two great characters, regardless of whether it’s a love story or not. I really appreciate you for that, but then again I respected you in this way since your review of Aoi Hana and Wandering Son. :-)

4. Jérémy says:

OMG! This episode was great. It was everything I’m looking for in an anime. I like the love undertones between the main characters without them being too powerful and full of awkward blushing! The mystery is also very intriguing. I want the next episode XD

5. kaza says:

I’m really enjoying No 6, wonderfuly animated, great storytelling, great characters… but the TIMING is worrying me, is it really ending at 11, 12 episodes?

also, call me a homophobe as you wish… but since ep. 1 I’ve been uncomfortable with the “tension” between Sion and Nezumi, specially in this episode, with the dancing, blushing, cross-dressing… when you put it all togheter it gets pretty tiring, and makes it tough to “show/recommend to others”

6. Ebod says:

@Kaza

Ehh, I think it depends on who you hang out with/recommend. All I said was that there was a new show out with gay main characters, but it’s sci-fi dystopian world, not romance, and my friends were on it like hot cakes. Though I’d say take a leap of faith and recommend it anyways. I’ve managed to to make a lot of my friends less/un-homophobic by showing them manga like Tokyo Babylon and Petshop of Horrors where strong characters and plot is far more important than who sleeps with who.

ANYWAYS, this episode was amazing. The animation, the music, the plot – I am so, so curious about where the wasps plot is heading, especially with Safu fainting in front of a stained glass with wasps on it.

Next episode. Can’t wait.

7. k says:

@balamunka Actually, I think because it’s a Japanese name, there should be Japanese sounds? There’s not really a “si” sound in Japanese, but there is a “shi”.

8. AidanAK47 says:

@Kittychick
    “but you continue to see this anime for the great story it has to tell about two great characters”

I am afraid I have to disagree with you. Disregarding the clear BL tones.(And the issue that it assumes that every male character is interested in homosexuality. Even the bloody guys that ambushed the two start asking for “payment”)
    As for the characters Sion has no discernible personality. All we know is that he cares a lot about other people and is completely ignorant of the world outside of No.6. Nezumi is your basic “Experienced veteran with a mysterious dark past” with a hairstyle stolen from Sasuke in Naruto. His mysterious dark past also isn’t very mysterious. It’s obvious that he was a lab rat for human experimentation. Hence the reason why he is called Nezumi.(Rat)

I am not saying it’s a bad show. It’s decent. Certainly not great.

9. AKI says:

@balamunka, “Sion” is just the romanization. In japanese language, there is no “si” syllable, only “shi”.

10. kittychick says:

@AidanAK47
    “This story is nothing remarkable. It’s been done better before and I don’t see anything that makes this stand out.”

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Unlike many sci-fi series I have watched, this one had an interesting twist with the relationship between the two characters, and in my opinion the characters are not nearly as flat as you described. After his little outburst towards the pimp, Sion showed he can be quite the spitfire if provoked, so he can’t be as bland as you say.

And if you want to look at the BL aspect of No. 6, I can tell you that this show is all the more enjoyable for it’s handling of it, specifically because it doesn’t follow all the cheesy tropes that often plague BL. Having read and watched a fair amount of the genre, I am always pleased when I can enjoy a great action/sci-fi story that can make my little fangirl heart flutter, so it’s a win-win for me.

As with most posters here, I appreciate your comments, and some of your ideas about Nezumi’s background are in alignment with the theories I have, so it’s nice to see great minds can think alike. The world of anime is huge enough to have something for everyone; and while we may not always agree on what’s good or bad, it’s nice that we can come together and respectfully talk about it in places such as this. :-)

11. yanea says:

yes,i’m 100% totally agree with your comment about this ep.
    what a great mystery, lies in this ep!!
    somehow with the mystery at the center, it delivers some kind of melodramatic scenes-yes, the dancing!!!it was so perfect, the background music+the dancing background scene totally amazed me!!
    before i thought nezumi was somekind of human android,but watching this ep made me remember nezumi said no 6 city is a gigantic toy before,so i think the whole city fulled with human-like android, including shion!!!while the abandoned city was the real human being. that’s why nezumi said they will become enemy and felt shion is weird. the bee might be the virus damaging the android system.
    but, this may b vice versa,ahahaa..
    one more thing, the connection between safu n nezume gives me supernatural feeling..don’t u think this give the same feeling like tegami bachi?the power came from the gun actually from ancient insect creature.
    well, i glad i didn’t neglect this anime:)

12. Kuro says:

Once upon a time I was a huge homophobe and would absolutely trash an anime like this. However that’s because I grew up with everyone around me openly hating gay people and encouraging me to do the same. The more I realized hatred was not the answer to living a good life the more I opened myself up to material like this.

Fact is, letting something like that get in the way of enjoying good art (if not GREAT art) is ridiculous. It’s a sign of inner hatred. Lot’s of things make us uncomfortable, how does that make a tv series bad? Most of us who watch movies like Hostel or Saw don’t really want to see people suffering in front of us. We watch horror movies, gross out comedy, ultra violence and all kinds of things that don’t necessarily make us feel comfortable. We watch because it’s entertaining or well done even if it makes us feel weird.

So I ask again, what is it about homosexual undertones that is so much worse than someone being slowly tortured to death, murdered or raped on screen? How is it any more of a gross out than having some dog with backed up gigantic testicles releasing into a bunch of pastry then watching unsuspecting victims eat said pastry?

Grow up.

13. Akari Mizunashi says:

@AidanAK47: I for one agree with everything you’ve said.

especially during a season as great as the one we’re blessed to have right now, it’s painfully obvious to me how mediocre this show has been thus far. I’m a very liberal person and could care less about BL undertones or whatever people are talking about; the character interactions/concepts/themes in No.6 not only have been done many times before, but were in many cases done on such a higher level as to void any worthwhile comparison.

again not to say this is a bad show or anyone loving it has bad taste, it’s just that I believe the praise this show has been getting to be undeserved.

14. Anb says:

To me, this is the thing. There’s a big difference between being accepting of homosexuality and IDENTIFYING with it. In BL stories, when the protag is this way, the story asks you to identify with him. I write stories, I direct animation films and whenever I make a protag, I WANT my audience to identify with him (or her) because this is how I transmit the emotions that the audience is supposed to feel. Now it IS the director’s job and writer’s job to make this identification process the smoothiest possible. When you ask a straight person to identify (I really mean IDENTIFY, I didnt say “empathize” or “understand”) with someone with a clear different sexual orientation, you take a big risk to get this member of the audience to the point of the suspension of disbelief. And you definitely want to prevent this from happening. It’s up to you to take the risk or not but you should assume that many members of the audience are going to feel uneasy about what you request them to do in order to experience your story the fullest. If you fail at provoking this identification process, the audience starts getting distracted, focus on other things, miss important things. You lose them and you kill the experience.
    Or at least, point very CLEARLY and very early that the story is going to that direction. I only speak about the protag because that’s the one character you are supposed to identify with. A BL among the supporting characters is different and has less implications because you dont identify with them, you empathize with them and you understand them which is a very different thinking process.

15. Lou says:

@Anb: So, you’re saying people can’t/shouldn’t relate to a non-heterosexual protagonist? I’d like to remind you that not everyone in the world is a straight manly man with issues. I, for one, look into the personality of a protagonist, not their gender or sexuality. If that gets to me, it’s enough to care about said protagonist.

Not to mention, me being an asexual woman, it would be really difficult to find a character whose orientation I could relate to.

16. Anb says:

@Lou : People can relate with a non-heterosexual character without problems as long as it’s about their personality, their struggle, their suffering, their dreams, etc. We can relate because we share a common experience. We’re all on this Earth trying to go thru life so the identification goes smoothly.

But when it’s about sexuality, and in this episode of no6, it’s becoming more and more a love bonding, it may be difficult to embrace the experience of a character that is the opposite of your sexual orientation especially the more it become graphic. Because we’re not speaking about personality or struggling or surviving anymore, we’re talking about emotions, feeling and sexuality. To fully put yourself in the character shoes and experience every single feeling to the fullest, you have to embrace the choice the character does and learn from his mistakes. Which is difficult when it’s about something as intimate as sexual orientation. You start to distance yourself naturally and you lose a part of the experience.

Of course, we can also just watch the story superficially without entering too deep into the character’s persona, without pushing the identification process too far and just care and empathize for them. It’s fine. And I agree with you that in that case, it doesn’t really matter what his sexual orientation is because it’s his life. Not mine.

And maybe that was what the director wanted. But I believe that all the magic of a story comes from a deep identification with the character and his/her choices. I don’t want to just care for him, I want to experience the story thru him.

17. belladonna says:

@Anb:
    I don’t get your point. It seems that lots of woman have no problem to identify with a homosexual male (BL is a pretty popular genre loved by women and written by women). Maybe some straight males have a problem with it, but hey, I as a woman, have a problem with identifying with a heterosexual male in a harem anime – what means that regarding your theory?

And putting aside the sexual thing: Death Note is one of the anime/manga I enjoyed the most. Just brilliant storytelling. But I can tell you I never ever could identify with Light.

18. chounokoe says:

@Anb: What I find interesting is that you said “when you make a protagonist” and then said him (or her). Now, according to your theory, how are you able to relate to a gender different from yours? How is your audience able to do that? You say that a difference in sexual orientation makes them unable to actually relate to his emotional and romantic struggles…but how exactly is then a woman able to relate to a male protagonist?
    That returns us to the dilemma of male and female storytelling and basically throws us back into the first half of the 20th century.

If that is not the case, why would you say is sexuality a different thing than gender? Why is it supposed to be easier for a man to relate to the struggle of a heterosexual woman than to that of a homosexual man?
    I’m not saying that it is not experienced like that by many, many people (probably the majority) but I’m questioning why it is like that. It’s implying that a homosexual man is even further removed from being a man than a heterosexual woman…which is just terribly insulting.

19. yanea says:

hello!!dear all, do you know the title of the piano piece played during the dancing scene?i want to download it!!

20. AidanAK47 says:

@Anb
    Your theory is interesting but flawed.
    Anb, we are not talking about aliens here. We are talking about homosexuals. You want to know how a straight man can relate to a gay man’s sexuality? It’s simple. Just imagine the other person is a girl. Walla.

@Kittychick
    Remember I said “Disregarding the clear BL tones” In other words, without the twist with the relationship between the two characters this story has nothing remarkable. As for that outburst of Sions, it came out of nowhere, didn’t make any sense and probably will be the one and only time Sion will get angry again. Think about it, the one time Sion got angry was when a pimp jokingly said Nezumi would make him more money. Wow, that’s defining.
    I stick that with the other lines from this show that I dub “Lines that will create awkward silences if used in real conversation” I will place it right next to “What if I said I have seen you naked?”

Also in case you guys got the wrong end of the stick I am not putting down this show because it has two gay main characters. I don’t care about that. The reason I am putting it down people are over rating it just because it has two gay main characters.

21. anon says:

TL;DR comments, TL;DR comments everywhere

Bah, haven't you heard, the best villain category was for the dictionary in Lost passage, must have been bastard-hard effort getting that compiled =P
To sum that up, don't bully my waifu or I will end you.
@Mario, She only killed him once and tortured him for information once. Both times because he had something which showed he had a connection to the witch. Besides, the anime mainly showed off her good points but she still has a crushing inferiority complex and a rather delicate mindset.
Oh I have one. How about Lovepon? lol
@Topgavin: it was sarcasm actually, if we do it again next year we might cut down some categories. But I totally agree that we're lacking of good villains. Biba and that teacher are the worst as they actually dragged their shows down.
Honestly though there's been a real lacking of good villains last year. I hear some guy from Jojo was pretty good, but other than that they've either been okay or lackluster. Makes you wonder how FMA:B managed to get so many villians right in so many ways when shows usually fail to get even 1 half as good.
@Supermario Biba or Teacher-dude from Erased surely...
Maybe we should include the best villain next time, haha. I honestly don't know who to pick...
oh Rem, that demon girl who tried to kill Subaru many times over. Why is she the best girl again?
@Kaiser: I watched Moonlight last night in cinema and it was great. I had high expectation for that and it pretty much delivered. Also Janelle Monae was so freaking hot.
OMG, that 3rd episode of Rakugo was so greattttt. @Lenlo: don't need to understand the meaning of the rant thou, Yotaro doesn't understand either
Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100