Posted by psgels on 4 August 2011 with categories: No.6

This episode really grabbed me by surprise. Not only was it exceptionally good and well produced, but also just about everything that happened here was against what you’d expect or came out of left field. This episode built up a ton of questions, it showed the cast in a completely different light, on top of being absolutely gorgeous to watch.

This episode took two completely unrelated characters: Nezumi and Safu, and had them experience the same hallucination at the same time. Erm, why? On top of that, against expectations the bees turn out to be active during the winter, and they seem to be related to these hallucinations in which they could talk. Again: how the hell is that happening? On top of that, Shion’s mom’s friend is suddenly afraid of mice, Then Shion suddenly comes and catches Nezumi unguarded, and then Safu is coming back, of all things. How the hell are the creators going to weave all of that together? And will the show still be running when we get to that point?

On top of that… that dance scene. Holy crap, that was well animated. The characters really came alive and the visual direction was utterly gorgeous. This episode on top of that had poetry and theatre as well, making it artistic in many different ways. It was a bit strange to see Nezumi in women’s clothing, but it does make sense: traditionally in Shakespearean plays, the female parts were all played by men as well.

Also, shock! This episode actually included a kiss that wasn’t overly romanticized.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Juri says:

ah man… it´s a compeling story, i want more… where is the story heading to?!!! I just can´t wait the next episode…

2. balamunka says:

The boys name is actually Sion, a small detail i know, not sure why everyone keeps adding a H.

3. kittychick says:

I respect you even more as a reviewer now. A lot of people (especially straight guys) would have run screaming from this show by now because of the romantic overtones, but you continue to see this anime for the great story it has to tell about two great characters, regardless of whether it’s a love story or not. I really appreciate you for that, but then again I respected you in this way since your review of Aoi Hana and Wandering Son. :-)

4. Jérémy says:

OMG! This episode was great. It was everything I’m looking for in an anime. I like the love undertones between the main characters without them being too powerful and full of awkward blushing! The mystery is also very intriguing. I want the next episode XD

5. kaza says:

I’m really enjoying No 6, wonderfuly animated, great storytelling, great characters… but the TIMING is worrying me, is it really ending at 11, 12 episodes?

also, call me a homophobe as you wish… but since ep. 1 I’ve been uncomfortable with the “tension” between Sion and Nezumi, specially in this episode, with the dancing, blushing, cross-dressing… when you put it all togheter it gets pretty tiring, and makes it tough to “show/recommend to others”

6. Ebod says:

@Kaza

Ehh, I think it depends on who you hang out with/recommend. All I said was that there was a new show out with gay main characters, but it’s sci-fi dystopian world, not romance, and my friends were on it like hot cakes. Though I’d say take a leap of faith and recommend it anyways. I’ve managed to to make a lot of my friends less/un-homophobic by showing them manga like Tokyo Babylon and Petshop of Horrors where strong characters and plot is far more important than who sleeps with who.

ANYWAYS, this episode was amazing. The animation, the music, the plot – I am so, so curious about where the wasps plot is heading, especially with Safu fainting in front of a stained glass with wasps on it.

Next episode. Can’t wait.

7. k says:

@balamunka Actually, I think because it’s a Japanese name, there should be Japanese sounds? There’s not really a “si” sound in Japanese, but there is a “shi”.

8. AidanAK47 says:

@Kittychick
    “but you continue to see this anime for the great story it has to tell about two great characters”

I am afraid I have to disagree with you. Disregarding the clear BL tones.(And the issue that it assumes that every male character is interested in homosexuality. Even the bloody guys that ambushed the two start asking for “payment”)
    As for the characters Sion has no discernible personality. All we know is that he cares a lot about other people and is completely ignorant of the world outside of No.6. Nezumi is your basic “Experienced veteran with a mysterious dark past” with a hairstyle stolen from Sasuke in Naruto. His mysterious dark past also isn’t very mysterious. It’s obvious that he was a lab rat for human experimentation. Hence the reason why he is called Nezumi.(Rat)

I am not saying it’s a bad show. It’s decent. Certainly not great.

9. AKI says:

@balamunka, “Sion” is just the romanization. In japanese language, there is no “si” syllable, only “shi”.

10. kittychick says:

@AidanAK47
    “This story is nothing remarkable. It’s been done better before and I don’t see anything that makes this stand out.”

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Unlike many sci-fi series I have watched, this one had an interesting twist with the relationship between the two characters, and in my opinion the characters are not nearly as flat as you described. After his little outburst towards the pimp, Sion showed he can be quite the spitfire if provoked, so he can’t be as bland as you say.

And if you want to look at the BL aspect of No. 6, I can tell you that this show is all the more enjoyable for it’s handling of it, specifically because it doesn’t follow all the cheesy tropes that often plague BL. Having read and watched a fair amount of the genre, I am always pleased when I can enjoy a great action/sci-fi story that can make my little fangirl heart flutter, so it’s a win-win for me.

As with most posters here, I appreciate your comments, and some of your ideas about Nezumi’s background are in alignment with the theories I have, so it’s nice to see great minds can think alike. The world of anime is huge enough to have something for everyone; and while we may not always agree on what’s good or bad, it’s nice that we can come together and respectfully talk about it in places such as this. :-)

11. yanea says:

yes,i’m 100% totally agree with your comment about this ep.
    what a great mystery, lies in this ep!!
    somehow with the mystery at the center, it delivers some kind of melodramatic scenes-yes, the dancing!!!it was so perfect, the background music+the dancing background scene totally amazed me!!
    before i thought nezumi was somekind of human android,but watching this ep made me remember nezumi said no 6 city is a gigantic toy before,so i think the whole city fulled with human-like android, including shion!!!while the abandoned city was the real human being. that’s why nezumi said they will become enemy and felt shion is weird. the bee might be the virus damaging the android system.
    but, this may b vice versa,ahahaa..
    one more thing, the connection between safu n nezume gives me supernatural feeling..don’t u think this give the same feeling like tegami bachi?the power came from the gun actually from ancient insect creature.
    well, i glad i didn’t neglect this anime:)

12. Kuro says:

Once upon a time I was a huge homophobe and would absolutely trash an anime like this. However that’s because I grew up with everyone around me openly hating gay people and encouraging me to do the same. The more I realized hatred was not the answer to living a good life the more I opened myself up to material like this.

Fact is, letting something like that get in the way of enjoying good art (if not GREAT art) is ridiculous. It’s a sign of inner hatred. Lot’s of things make us uncomfortable, how does that make a tv series bad? Most of us who watch movies like Hostel or Saw don’t really want to see people suffering in front of us. We watch horror movies, gross out comedy, ultra violence and all kinds of things that don’t necessarily make us feel comfortable. We watch because it’s entertaining or well done even if it makes us feel weird.

So I ask again, what is it about homosexual undertones that is so much worse than someone being slowly tortured to death, murdered or raped on screen? How is it any more of a gross out than having some dog with backed up gigantic testicles releasing into a bunch of pastry then watching unsuspecting victims eat said pastry?

Grow up.

13. Akari Mizunashi says:

@AidanAK47: I for one agree with everything you’ve said.

especially during a season as great as the one we’re blessed to have right now, it’s painfully obvious to me how mediocre this show has been thus far. I’m a very liberal person and could care less about BL undertones or whatever people are talking about; the character interactions/concepts/themes in No.6 not only have been done many times before, but were in many cases done on such a higher level as to void any worthwhile comparison.

again not to say this is a bad show or anyone loving it has bad taste, it’s just that I believe the praise this show has been getting to be undeserved.

14. Anb says:

To me, this is the thing. There’s a big difference between being accepting of homosexuality and IDENTIFYING with it. In BL stories, when the protag is this way, the story asks you to identify with him. I write stories, I direct animation films and whenever I make a protag, I WANT my audience to identify with him (or her) because this is how I transmit the emotions that the audience is supposed to feel. Now it IS the director’s job and writer’s job to make this identification process the smoothiest possible. When you ask a straight person to identify (I really mean IDENTIFY, I didnt say “empathize” or “understand”) with someone with a clear different sexual orientation, you take a big risk to get this member of the audience to the point of the suspension of disbelief. And you definitely want to prevent this from happening. It’s up to you to take the risk or not but you should assume that many members of the audience are going to feel uneasy about what you request them to do in order to experience your story the fullest. If you fail at provoking this identification process, the audience starts getting distracted, focus on other things, miss important things. You lose them and you kill the experience.
    Or at least, point very CLEARLY and very early that the story is going to that direction. I only speak about the protag because that’s the one character you are supposed to identify with. A BL among the supporting characters is different and has less implications because you dont identify with them, you empathize with them and you understand them which is a very different thinking process.

15. Lou says:

@Anb: So, you’re saying people can’t/shouldn’t relate to a non-heterosexual protagonist? I’d like to remind you that not everyone in the world is a straight manly man with issues. I, for one, look into the personality of a protagonist, not their gender or sexuality. If that gets to me, it’s enough to care about said protagonist.

Not to mention, me being an asexual woman, it would be really difficult to find a character whose orientation I could relate to.

16. Anb says:

@Lou : People can relate with a non-heterosexual character without problems as long as it’s about their personality, their struggle, their suffering, their dreams, etc. We can relate because we share a common experience. We’re all on this Earth trying to go thru life so the identification goes smoothly.

But when it’s about sexuality, and in this episode of no6, it’s becoming more and more a love bonding, it may be difficult to embrace the experience of a character that is the opposite of your sexual orientation especially the more it become graphic. Because we’re not speaking about personality or struggling or surviving anymore, we’re talking about emotions, feeling and sexuality. To fully put yourself in the character shoes and experience every single feeling to the fullest, you have to embrace the choice the character does and learn from his mistakes. Which is difficult when it’s about something as intimate as sexual orientation. You start to distance yourself naturally and you lose a part of the experience.

Of course, we can also just watch the story superficially without entering too deep into the character’s persona, without pushing the identification process too far and just care and empathize for them. It’s fine. And I agree with you that in that case, it doesn’t really matter what his sexual orientation is because it’s his life. Not mine.

And maybe that was what the director wanted. But I believe that all the magic of a story comes from a deep identification with the character and his/her choices. I don’t want to just care for him, I want to experience the story thru him.

17. belladonna says:

@Anb:
    I don’t get your point. It seems that lots of woman have no problem to identify with a homosexual male (BL is a pretty popular genre loved by women and written by women). Maybe some straight males have a problem with it, but hey, I as a woman, have a problem with identifying with a heterosexual male in a harem anime – what means that regarding your theory?

And putting aside the sexual thing: Death Note is one of the anime/manga I enjoyed the most. Just brilliant storytelling. But I can tell you I never ever could identify with Light.

18. chounokoe says:

@Anb: What I find interesting is that you said “when you make a protagonist” and then said him (or her). Now, according to your theory, how are you able to relate to a gender different from yours? How is your audience able to do that? You say that a difference in sexual orientation makes them unable to actually relate to his emotional and romantic struggles…but how exactly is then a woman able to relate to a male protagonist?
    That returns us to the dilemma of male and female storytelling and basically throws us back into the first half of the 20th century.

If that is not the case, why would you say is sexuality a different thing than gender? Why is it supposed to be easier for a man to relate to the struggle of a heterosexual woman than to that of a homosexual man?
    I’m not saying that it is not experienced like that by many, many people (probably the majority) but I’m questioning why it is like that. It’s implying that a homosexual man is even further removed from being a man than a heterosexual woman…which is just terribly insulting.

19. yanea says:

hello!!dear all, do you know the title of the piano piece played during the dancing scene?i want to download it!!

20. AidanAK47 says:

@Anb
    Your theory is interesting but flawed.
    Anb, we are not talking about aliens here. We are talking about homosexuals. You want to know how a straight man can relate to a gay man’s sexuality? It’s simple. Just imagine the other person is a girl. Walla.

@Kittychick
    Remember I said “Disregarding the clear BL tones” In other words, without the twist with the relationship between the two characters this story has nothing remarkable. As for that outburst of Sions, it came out of nowhere, didn’t make any sense and probably will be the one and only time Sion will get angry again. Think about it, the one time Sion got angry was when a pimp jokingly said Nezumi would make him more money. Wow, that’s defining.
    I stick that with the other lines from this show that I dub “Lines that will create awkward silences if used in real conversation” I will place it right next to “What if I said I have seen you naked?”

Also in case you guys got the wrong end of the stick I am not putting down this show because it has two gay main characters. I don’t care about that. The reason I am putting it down people are over rating it just because it has two gay main characters.

21. anon says:

TL;DR comments, TL;DR comments everywhere

@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!
I have no problem with kiss whatsoever regarding virus. Hehe then try to catch it at Toonami

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100