Posted by psgels on 4 August 2011 with categories: No.6

This episode really grabbed me by surprise. Not only was it exceptionally good and well produced, but also just about everything that happened here was against what you’d expect or came out of left field. This episode built up a ton of questions, it showed the cast in a completely different light, on top of being absolutely gorgeous to watch.

This episode took two completely unrelated characters: Nezumi and Safu, and had them experience the same hallucination at the same time. Erm, why? On top of that, against expectations the bees turn out to be active during the winter, and they seem to be related to these hallucinations in which they could talk. Again: how the hell is that happening? On top of that, Shion’s mom’s friend is suddenly afraid of mice, Then Shion suddenly comes and catches Nezumi unguarded, and then Safu is coming back, of all things. How the hell are the creators going to weave all of that together? And will the show still be running when we get to that point?

On top of that… that dance scene. Holy crap, that was well animated. The characters really came alive and the visual direction was utterly gorgeous. This episode on top of that had poetry and theatre as well, making it artistic in many different ways. It was a bit strange to see Nezumi in women’s clothing, but it does make sense: traditionally in Shakespearean plays, the female parts were all played by men as well.

Also, shock! This episode actually included a kiss that wasn’t overly romanticized.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Juri says:

ah man… it´s a compeling story, i want more… where is the story heading to?!!! I just can´t wait the next episode…

2. balamunka says:

The boys name is actually Sion, a small detail i know, not sure why everyone keeps adding a H.

3. kittychick says:

I respect you even more as a reviewer now. A lot of people (especially straight guys) would have run screaming from this show by now because of the romantic overtones, but you continue to see this anime for the great story it has to tell about two great characters, regardless of whether it’s a love story or not. I really appreciate you for that, but then again I respected you in this way since your review of Aoi Hana and Wandering Son. :-)

4. Jérémy says:

OMG! This episode was great. It was everything I’m looking for in an anime. I like the love undertones between the main characters without them being too powerful and full of awkward blushing! The mystery is also very intriguing. I want the next episode XD

5. kaza says:

I’m really enjoying No 6, wonderfuly animated, great storytelling, great characters… but the TIMING is worrying me, is it really ending at 11, 12 episodes?

also, call me a homophobe as you wish… but since ep. 1 I’ve been uncomfortable with the “tension” between Sion and Nezumi, specially in this episode, with the dancing, blushing, cross-dressing… when you put it all togheter it gets pretty tiring, and makes it tough to “show/recommend to others”

6. Ebod says:

@Kaza

Ehh, I think it depends on who you hang out with/recommend. All I said was that there was a new show out with gay main characters, but it’s sci-fi dystopian world, not romance, and my friends were on it like hot cakes. Though I’d say take a leap of faith and recommend it anyways. I’ve managed to to make a lot of my friends less/un-homophobic by showing them manga like Tokyo Babylon and Petshop of Horrors where strong characters and plot is far more important than who sleeps with who.

ANYWAYS, this episode was amazing. The animation, the music, the plot – I am so, so curious about where the wasps plot is heading, especially with Safu fainting in front of a stained glass with wasps on it.

Next episode. Can’t wait.

7. k says:

@balamunka Actually, I think because it’s a Japanese name, there should be Japanese sounds? There’s not really a “si” sound in Japanese, but there is a “shi”.

8. AidanAK47 says:

@Kittychick
    “but you continue to see this anime for the great story it has to tell about two great characters”

I am afraid I have to disagree with you. Disregarding the clear BL tones.(And the issue that it assumes that every male character is interested in homosexuality. Even the bloody guys that ambushed the two start asking for “payment”)
    As for the characters Sion has no discernible personality. All we know is that he cares a lot about other people and is completely ignorant of the world outside of No.6. Nezumi is your basic “Experienced veteran with a mysterious dark past” with a hairstyle stolen from Sasuke in Naruto. His mysterious dark past also isn’t very mysterious. It’s obvious that he was a lab rat for human experimentation. Hence the reason why he is called Nezumi.(Rat)

I am not saying it’s a bad show. It’s decent. Certainly not great.

9. AKI says:

@balamunka, “Sion” is just the romanization. In japanese language, there is no “si” syllable, only “shi”.

10. kittychick says:

@AidanAK47
    “This story is nothing remarkable. It’s been done better before and I don’t see anything that makes this stand out.”

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Unlike many sci-fi series I have watched, this one had an interesting twist with the relationship between the two characters, and in my opinion the characters are not nearly as flat as you described. After his little outburst towards the pimp, Sion showed he can be quite the spitfire if provoked, so he can’t be as bland as you say.

And if you want to look at the BL aspect of No. 6, I can tell you that this show is all the more enjoyable for it’s handling of it, specifically because it doesn’t follow all the cheesy tropes that often plague BL. Having read and watched a fair amount of the genre, I am always pleased when I can enjoy a great action/sci-fi story that can make my little fangirl heart flutter, so it’s a win-win for me.

As with most posters here, I appreciate your comments, and some of your ideas about Nezumi’s background are in alignment with the theories I have, so it’s nice to see great minds can think alike. The world of anime is huge enough to have something for everyone; and while we may not always agree on what’s good or bad, it’s nice that we can come together and respectfully talk about it in places such as this. :-)

11. yanea says:

yes,i’m 100% totally agree with your comment about this ep.
    what a great mystery, lies in this ep!!
    somehow with the mystery at the center, it delivers some kind of melodramatic scenes-yes, the dancing!!!it was so perfect, the background music+the dancing background scene totally amazed me!!
    before i thought nezumi was somekind of human android,but watching this ep made me remember nezumi said no 6 city is a gigantic toy before,so i think the whole city fulled with human-like android, including shion!!!while the abandoned city was the real human being. that’s why nezumi said they will become enemy and felt shion is weird. the bee might be the virus damaging the android system.
    but, this may b vice versa,ahahaa..
    one more thing, the connection between safu n nezume gives me supernatural feeling..don’t u think this give the same feeling like tegami bachi?the power came from the gun actually from ancient insect creature.
    well, i glad i didn’t neglect this anime:)

12. Kuro says:

Once upon a time I was a huge homophobe and would absolutely trash an anime like this. However that’s because I grew up with everyone around me openly hating gay people and encouraging me to do the same. The more I realized hatred was not the answer to living a good life the more I opened myself up to material like this.

Fact is, letting something like that get in the way of enjoying good art (if not GREAT art) is ridiculous. It’s a sign of inner hatred. Lot’s of things make us uncomfortable, how does that make a tv series bad? Most of us who watch movies like Hostel or Saw don’t really want to see people suffering in front of us. We watch horror movies, gross out comedy, ultra violence and all kinds of things that don’t necessarily make us feel comfortable. We watch because it’s entertaining or well done even if it makes us feel weird.

So I ask again, what is it about homosexual undertones that is so much worse than someone being slowly tortured to death, murdered or raped on screen? How is it any more of a gross out than having some dog with backed up gigantic testicles releasing into a bunch of pastry then watching unsuspecting victims eat said pastry?

Grow up.

13. Akari Mizunashi says:

@AidanAK47: I for one agree with everything you’ve said.

especially during a season as great as the one we’re blessed to have right now, it’s painfully obvious to me how mediocre this show has been thus far. I’m a very liberal person and could care less about BL undertones or whatever people are talking about; the character interactions/concepts/themes in No.6 not only have been done many times before, but were in many cases done on such a higher level as to void any worthwhile comparison.

again not to say this is a bad show or anyone loving it has bad taste, it’s just that I believe the praise this show has been getting to be undeserved.

14. Anb says:

To me, this is the thing. There’s a big difference between being accepting of homosexuality and IDENTIFYING with it. In BL stories, when the protag is this way, the story asks you to identify with him. I write stories, I direct animation films and whenever I make a protag, I WANT my audience to identify with him (or her) because this is how I transmit the emotions that the audience is supposed to feel. Now it IS the director’s job and writer’s job to make this identification process the smoothiest possible. When you ask a straight person to identify (I really mean IDENTIFY, I didnt say “empathize” or “understand”) with someone with a clear different sexual orientation, you take a big risk to get this member of the audience to the point of the suspension of disbelief. And you definitely want to prevent this from happening. It’s up to you to take the risk or not but you should assume that many members of the audience are going to feel uneasy about what you request them to do in order to experience your story the fullest. If you fail at provoking this identification process, the audience starts getting distracted, focus on other things, miss important things. You lose them and you kill the experience.
    Or at least, point very CLEARLY and very early that the story is going to that direction. I only speak about the protag because that’s the one character you are supposed to identify with. A BL among the supporting characters is different and has less implications because you dont identify with them, you empathize with them and you understand them which is a very different thinking process.

15. Lou says:

@Anb: So, you’re saying people can’t/shouldn’t relate to a non-heterosexual protagonist? I’d like to remind you that not everyone in the world is a straight manly man with issues. I, for one, look into the personality of a protagonist, not their gender or sexuality. If that gets to me, it’s enough to care about said protagonist.

Not to mention, me being an asexual woman, it would be really difficult to find a character whose orientation I could relate to.

16. Anb says:

@Lou : People can relate with a non-heterosexual character without problems as long as it’s about their personality, their struggle, their suffering, their dreams, etc. We can relate because we share a common experience. We’re all on this Earth trying to go thru life so the identification goes smoothly.

But when it’s about sexuality, and in this episode of no6, it’s becoming more and more a love bonding, it may be difficult to embrace the experience of a character that is the opposite of your sexual orientation especially the more it become graphic. Because we’re not speaking about personality or struggling or surviving anymore, we’re talking about emotions, feeling and sexuality. To fully put yourself in the character shoes and experience every single feeling to the fullest, you have to embrace the choice the character does and learn from his mistakes. Which is difficult when it’s about something as intimate as sexual orientation. You start to distance yourself naturally and you lose a part of the experience.

Of course, we can also just watch the story superficially without entering too deep into the character’s persona, without pushing the identification process too far and just care and empathize for them. It’s fine. And I agree with you that in that case, it doesn’t really matter what his sexual orientation is because it’s his life. Not mine.

And maybe that was what the director wanted. But I believe that all the magic of a story comes from a deep identification with the character and his/her choices. I don’t want to just care for him, I want to experience the story thru him.

17. belladonna says:

@Anb:
    I don’t get your point. It seems that lots of woman have no problem to identify with a homosexual male (BL is a pretty popular genre loved by women and written by women). Maybe some straight males have a problem with it, but hey, I as a woman, have a problem with identifying with a heterosexual male in a harem anime – what means that regarding your theory?

And putting aside the sexual thing: Death Note is one of the anime/manga I enjoyed the most. Just brilliant storytelling. But I can tell you I never ever could identify with Light.

18. chounokoe says:

@Anb: What I find interesting is that you said “when you make a protagonist” and then said him (or her). Now, according to your theory, how are you able to relate to a gender different from yours? How is your audience able to do that? You say that a difference in sexual orientation makes them unable to actually relate to his emotional and romantic struggles…but how exactly is then a woman able to relate to a male protagonist?
    That returns us to the dilemma of male and female storytelling and basically throws us back into the first half of the 20th century.

If that is not the case, why would you say is sexuality a different thing than gender? Why is it supposed to be easier for a man to relate to the struggle of a heterosexual woman than to that of a homosexual man?
    I’m not saying that it is not experienced like that by many, many people (probably the majority) but I’m questioning why it is like that. It’s implying that a homosexual man is even further removed from being a man than a heterosexual woman…which is just terribly insulting.

19. yanea says:

hello!!dear all, do you know the title of the piano piece played during the dancing scene?i want to download it!!

20. AidanAK47 says:

@Anb
    Your theory is interesting but flawed.
    Anb, we are not talking about aliens here. We are talking about homosexuals. You want to know how a straight man can relate to a gay man’s sexuality? It’s simple. Just imagine the other person is a girl. Walla.

@Kittychick
    Remember I said “Disregarding the clear BL tones” In other words, without the twist with the relationship between the two characters this story has nothing remarkable. As for that outburst of Sions, it came out of nowhere, didn’t make any sense and probably will be the one and only time Sion will get angry again. Think about it, the one time Sion got angry was when a pimp jokingly said Nezumi would make him more money. Wow, that’s defining.
    I stick that with the other lines from this show that I dub “Lines that will create awkward silences if used in real conversation” I will place it right next to “What if I said I have seen you naked?”

Also in case you guys got the wrong end of the stick I am not putting down this show because it has two gay main characters. I don’t care about that. The reason I am putting it down people are over rating it just because it has two gay main characters.

21. anon says:

TL;DR comments, TL;DR comments everywhere

@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.
Seems that it will be at its worst in the west, that said I'm living in Dublin in the east so I'll probably get away with a power cut for a while. Thankfully I'm not back in work until Thursday and I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.
Also Careful Kaiser, I hear we got a hurricane heading our way tomorrow.
@Kaiser, Can't say I do. I got into anime around the time it was getting put on the internet. And I only started buying anime when I got a job. Now I got a whole bookcase of Blu-rays.
@Aidan: Remember back in the 90s when we didn't have all region dvd players and everything got released on region 1?
@Kaiser, I checked though. Seems the screenings are strictly US for Heavens Feel. Sort of like how Grand Order isn't released for Europe either. Also took goddamn ages to get the Blu-Rays of UBW too. Aniplex just seems to hate us for some reason.
Dublin city university has/had an anime club.
These are all one time only things though.
@Aidan: Eh....on rare occasions the Eye cinema in Galway and the Lighthouse in Dublin do screenings . Eiretakon has re-formed as J-con in Dublin and they do screenings.
Playing Muv Luv Alternative and I just made it pass a certain infamous scene. Honestly...I thought seeing as I knew it was coming that it wouldn't hit that hard. But even after all these years...it still gives me chills.
@Amagi, Could be worse. There are no screenings in Ireland so the wait is a hell of a lot longer for me.
I'll likely be checking out Lu over the wall in early December.
I am really looking forward to that new movie from the Tekkonkinkreet guy and Heaven's Feel but both screenings only happen in February so this will sadly still take a while.
Aah, I just missed the only screening of In the Corner of the World at my local cinema (it comes as part of a film festival, guess I will watch the pirated version then). Thankfully they screened Firework anime so I'm going to watch it. Now
I intend to still give Dies Irea another chance. don't know if it's worth it thou
Maybe those kidscheated half of the way because no one can WALK faster than me :)
The animation continues to be quite poor and its only getting 15 episodes.
Though I could definitely have seen my German Ex offended by it.
Y'know I never even cared enough to think that people would be this offended by Dies Irae, it would be like being offended by the Naziploitation elements in hellsing . I find both far too silly to be in anyway offensive.
But in all seriousness, good that you keep up the exercise. I walk pretty much everywhere.
@Mario: Little fiends likely taking performance enhancing drugs, know to poison them next beforehand =P
Still finished in a first half but 35 minutes for 5km is something I wasn't to proud of. Damnit.
Well, just finished a running event. The race was just 5 kilometer so I was aiming to run all the way. Ended up walking 1/3 of the way and lose to some 12 year old kids... I'm getting old, really!
@Anon, That was a stupid move on their part. Still I prefer to judge a game based on the quality of the product and not outside circumstances.
yooka laylee is okay but i hate it because they removed jontrons voice
new Altair OP is better than old Altair OP. But old ED is better than new. Man I really am sad Altair cannot have the 100_ episodes of LOGH. Because of that they really have to rush the story to make the politics work, but at same time rushing it undermines the story integrity. Which is a pity. I really think if Altair had the LOGH treatment, it would be a stupendous tale of politics.
I got that with Yooka Laylee which I thought was a decent fun game. However the internet has determined it to be a flaming trash pile of a game. I even have a friend who never played the game but bashes it purely because it's so hated.
While I understand the point, and have indeed watched stuff both psgel and the current writers have not given a high score too, generally speaking our tastes are complimentary. In a world of scarce time and quite a lot of stress over things like work or relationships, I will take the cognitive short-cuts I can for my hobbies, and FOMO be damned! :)
That may actually be quite the common occurrence as internet opinion tends to veer to extremely positive or extremely negative. Something can't simply be good, it most be amazing. Somehting can't be passable either, it has to be garbage.
@Anon, I agree with that. In truth you can only really judge something when you have seen it yourself. I will even admit that mine and likely the others reviews of Imouto are a bit of Hyperbole. It's really not the most terrible thing I have ever seen. Actually I would say Dynamic cord was worse.
(i already found some nice things i would have neglected otherwise or deemed worthless based on reviews/seasonal previews etc)
So i concluded that even if those people were writing good reviews and had somewhat compatible tastes with me, were nice and intelligent people overall in the end it did not mattered that much. while others' opinions are helpful, my own taste is the only thing i can really trust. so watching everything it is
I used to chose my shows based on reviews from people i trust, this site included, but then i just started trying out everything and - shocking, i know - suddenly i liked things others did not. or vice versa, which were a possibility even before.
Thats why I only really watch/checked out things that piqued my interest. Was gonna do it anyways, so why not write about i
SuperWooper
Comprehensive sampling does have its benefits, though. Animegataris is a show I wouldn't have touched on my own, but it was quite watchable.
SuperWooper
@Kaiser, I agree that only the better-looking shows need to be previewed, but being a new recruit, I can't exactly influence the long-standing Star Crossed policy of giving everything a shot.
@anon1477190: that moment you mentioned about Kino losing her cool was good, but then they followed up on the obvious exposition about the couple which I felt was heavy-handed.
I bring that up mainly because I don't want to see any of the writers getting burned out/demotivated/having their time wasted.
Guys it must be incredibly time consuming to watch some of these obviously from the outset bottom of the barrel shows you know will be awful and you'll never cover, I doubt anyone would have complained if you didn't mention Imouto Ireba.
The ending was good, but leading up to it was sort of dull
Agreed on how Kino felt this week. What really got me though was how she held the gun. That bugged me in those pov shots
Eh, I'm not keen to go over old material, I'll just watch the new Kino stories.
@Mario: I get claustrophobic sometimes, so Haze by Tsukamoto Shinya was fucking un-comfortable =P
@Mario: Ganja and hess, Die Farbe, Texas chainsaw 2, shop of horrors and AM 1200 stood out best.
*I will admit that I enjoyed the ending bit a little more though. Something about Kino throwing that big rock was moving somehow, especially with how stoic she normally is, haha.
I was a bit disappointed by Kino this week. I actually enjoyed the original Colosseum, but more for some of the individual fights rather than the conflict with the main antagonist. So the speed with which they went through them wasn't my favorite thing.
@Kaiser: haha, sounds fun. Any good horror worth reccomending?
Tried doing that horror 30 horror movies in Autumn challenge thing, fun times but bloody exhausting.
I will finally be getting on to magus bride SOON.
Just try not to compare any of his works to yi yi and you'll be fine. Pity we lost him too soon.
I'm meaning to watch Terrorizers for quite a while now. You beat me to it again. So it's that good huh??
@Mario: I did end up re-watching terrorizers and finishing it this time, never ever have I bee so wrong to initially under-estimate a director or film, the second half massively improves the film and comes together perfectly.
@Mario: ...conditions are very hard to get right on screen, it almost ends up being horribly sappy. This is why when I saw Moon-so-ri's performance in Oasis I was so surprised by how excellent she depicted her characters disability, to where if I didn't know better I'd have sworn it was for real.
@Kaiser: and sometimes they take an "artistic liberty" to change the real stories to make it more dramatic. Case in point, I was so moved by A Beautiful Mind until I read it that the main guy doesn't have those issues in real life. Felt deeply manipulated
@Mario: Largely due to and not helped by the fact most biopics are over two hours long.
@Kaiser: glad you enjoyed Loving Vincent. I'm a bit worried about its story to be honest since it's a biopic and sometimes biopic can be so dry like a powerpoint presentation about someone's life
WE DEMAND THE 20 MINUTES BACK
Stupid imouto anime....bullying Aidan and Mario.
*their
Why must all artistic/creative be so out of there minds =<
@Mario: I saw Loving Vincent, I knew very little about the man himself before seeing, but this did an alright job of introducing the viewer to who he was, the voice acting/script is slightly stilted but in the end it works as a vehicle to get from one nicely rendered/animated scene to the next and its worth looking at for 90 minutes .
@Puran: that story from Kino was one of my least favorite from 2003 version. This week they changed quite a bit of details, most notably they speed through the gladiator fights. The result... well... average for me
That book seems to have a tv show adaptation.
I actually have been meaning to read Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel.. Might put it next on my reading list.
Puran
(and, I thought the old one handled the story much better...)
Puran
New Kino ep was a remake of a story in the old anime... It's really not helping me in trying to avoid comparing the two series.
SuperWooper
@KTravlos, you like Jonathan Strange? Good taste, my man.
I watched the Ancient Magus Bride OVA after your suggestions. It was very nice. A mix of Howl's Moving Castle and Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel. I will definitely follow this series. Thank you.
@Mario: lol I go once a week if I can.
@Mario: I suppose it would be more sand on glass animation: [link src="https://letterboxd.com/director/caroline-leaf/
@Travlos: I liked the Dragon Dentist. Loved its art but yeah the story is unfocused and the characters aren't those that I consider deep
@Kaiser: well, yep animation techniques can be really diverse and I did a good deal of research about them. For sand animation, do you refer to the sand performing art? I would love to see that type have a proper animation but there is a debate of whether or not it can be considered as "animation"
@Kaiser: haha you're lucky. Now that when I think about that, despite considered myself a film fan I haven't stepped to the cinema for 6 months now. Shame on me!
@Aidan: Is it possible to make it so we can alter our profile pages on the site, so as to be able to add a short bio or top ten list of our favourite shows/manga?
Ah, excellent loving vincent is showing tomorrow at my local cinema.
When you think about it, I love how varied animation can actually be....I've even come across salt and sand animation.
Nuuuu I missed my chance to see body and soul. I am very much looking forward to Kim-ki-duks new film.
@Kaiser: to be more exact, Petrov uses painting on glass. Loving Vincent will be painting on paper. But yeah, no real difference there
My god. Typo here.Russia is very *quick*. Yep, I'm looking forward for Loveless, despite its grim premise
@Mario: Aleksandr Petrov uses similar animation techniques.
@Kaiser: In the end of this month I will get around to watch On Body and Soul (which have great hype no matter where I read) and an infamous Chinese adult animation Have a Nice Day
@Kaiser: I swear Russia is really weak when it comes to their movies availabled in the high sea. Yep, if you can, watch Loving Vincent. At least the painting animation is a can't miss
@Vonter: i am looking for the Junti Itou's adaptations as well. But I think it most likely will be inconsistent. Just hope they manage to get the creepy feeling right
@Aidan: Itou has also worked on a non-horror manga called Yuukoku no Rasputin.
@Vonter, The thing that needs to be perfected is getting Junti Itou's artstyle animated. The thing that truly makes his works shine is the art. Still it would be nice to see an animated version of The Enigma of Amigara Fault.
@Mario: been delving further into Edward Yang, next is the terrorizers, Taipei story is a bit difficult to get into at first and it does feel like a trial run but it come into itself much better by its second half.
@Mario: There is a Russian torrent of The Loveless (2017) floating around, we may see this sooner than expected if it gets subbed. Also remind me, was it you that recommended me to see the animated film Loving Vincent?
@Vonter: I really hope they properly animate them as 20 minute episodes and not as 8-10 minute shorts with picture show animation.
There's gonna be an anime of Junji Itou's short stories. Hopefully since there's gonna be several instead of one story, one or two of those are done well. The CGI really took from the atmosphere in Gyo, maybe stories with less scope can be crafted with more care. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/09-1/teaser-site-for-tv-anime-junji-ito-collection-opens-for-winter-2018-premiere
I saw the Dragon Dentist. Interesting but weird. I felt like there were two shows in there. A great magic show and a great war shows, but forcing them together denied each its full potential.
KT here. Since Aidan is not the state, accusations of violating freedom of speech are meaningless. You have no right to his time or tolerance. You are giving too many chances Aidan IMHO. Ban and be done with it.
@Anon(FakePsgels), the only reason you can post again is because I only gave you a day ban. But believe me, I can make it much longer. Three strikes, try impersonating Psgels again and you will get a week ban. Strike three is a permanent ban. So just try it. Test me.
Lordish_Kvadratish
Somehow the site is good again :D. I had been visiting daily when Psgels was writing, and when he left I felt disappointed and stopped. And now I like it again for some reason. Good place on the internet. Thank You.
It's not like we need this site to survive mate, so get off his case
Aidan-kun....stop whining. You should be grateful you even get to use this site at all. Threatening to ban someone just because your mad is pure fascism.
That's something I wondered about as well. It would have been a good opportunity to change her costume a bunch of times. I am not a fan of characters always wearing the same stuff, especially if there is no concrete reason for doing so.
And I assume that everytime Nina transforms, she loses her clothes, right? So why the hell does she still wear the same costume afterwards?? Someone picked up for her no matter where she goes?????
The kill-arc makes sense narratively, but makes no damn sense logically (all the badass characters were there for Christ sake). Kaisar... don't even know what to feel.
Okay, trying to sum up how I feel about Virgin Soul now: I liked both Nina and Amira, the screwed up Charioce's character (remember he was a devil-hating fasscist who kills demons at sights or pit them against each others gladiator-wise). The cost of Nina's boice got me, not so much for Charioce's eyesight. My fav girl Rita doesn't have enough development
@Kaiser: Newer CG looks pretty good and I once hated CG. But Kado showed how good it can be and anime are constantly improving. Houseki has a lot of issues but the facial expressions are more than I usually see in anime. Can't wait to see how Inuyashiki is.
Yeah same here. I actually think they used this guy well, most anime don't have the balls to make someone evil for real and even kill him if he was a somewhat good guy at first. It's why that one scene surprised me and the death too. I was sure it was just one of these silly development episodes at first.
Likely due to not having to deal with bad art and framing of the manga I felt houseki was comparatively easier to watch.
Ah yes, Assland. Hated him. But I loved his relationship with Dias. Nina was great though.
Also that sudden kill-arc kinda got me (you know who I mean) - there are a bunch of story related things I could complain about but I wish more anime had the quality of that series regarding action, pacing and characters. I really loved almots everybody there except of those we weren't supposed to love (expecially that damn blonde knight guy)
I have to admit that I liked Nina way more than Amira and I prefered the chemistry between most characters in s2 of Bahamut, especially Kaisar and Favaro.
Eh. Blindness is a small price to pay for what he did, though his eyes and Nina's voice made an interesting communication problem between the two of them.
I am sure Nina will give it. But I felt ok with how things turned out.
@Super. Let us see in December for the Altair review. And yes both shows proved rather ok, but also pedestrian.

@Lenlo. I thought it would happen but for some reason saw it as a cope-out. With Charioce. He did not get a happy ending. Politically it made sense , and the reforms made sense, but I mean his personal cost is not exactly small. Dont get me wrong. I think he deserved some more drubbing.
I thought Kaisars ending was appropriate to him. Not sure how I feel about Charioce getting a happy ending though
hmmm, Virgin Soul and Re:Creators sadly are the 2 shows that I watched in completion but have virtually nothing to say about them. They're good enough that I didn't drop it but never raised above something that I find myself emerge to
@Travlos: I won't turn down the generous offer that you might give Altair a full review if you still follow it. So make sure you manage to finish it ^^
indeed. But I felt the ending was not too bad. I am iffy about the Kaisar thing, but I felt the political ending, and the result for our two love-birds was fair.
Had lots of issues, but I still liked it
Finally finished Virgin Soul. Loved that ending
@Kaiser: yeah, the thing is... I'm kinda into the handheld action set piece in Bourne franchise
Granted Garo and Juni still do appeal alot to me both because they remind me of exploitative trash I love =P
Ah I see wooper is of the same patrician opinion on Garo =P
@kaiser: haha. I don't mind the fight choreography in Garo. The second episode of Juuni Taisen is still pretty good
*better edited than the fights in Garo
I feel the fights are better edited in juni taisen , largely because of her backstory Inounoshishi stands out for me most, although the rabbit guy currently has my attention predominantly due to having the best powers.
that is not the case in IBO. Zeta and ZZ are both during Tomino's "weird" phase. They are thus acquired tastes. IBO is free of Tomino.
@KT: a distinct lack of Brightslapping in Gundam unicorn =<
@KT: While I did complete Zeta, I did skim it, Kamille was not a likeble character.

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 02 [Bath – Journal – Laundry]

Here’s for the most comfort food of this season. One thing you will notice when watching this show: despite its dark, post-apocalyptic settings, Girls’ Last Tour is a slice-of-life moe show at its heart. There will be no deep implication of the dark world, and those girls will not develop much by the end. But […]

Juuni Taisen – 02 [Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl]

A Battle Royale anime is something that have been done numerous times before: Mirai Nikki, Btoom!!, last year’s Magical Girl Raising Project… It’s such a delicious meal that it’s hard not to have fun when players try to outsmart the others or think of a creative way to kill each other. Juuni Taisen so far […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100

The Reflection – 12 [The Reflection]

Welcome to the final episode of The Reflection. This week is both the best and worst episode of the season, with highs and lows, in both animation and story. Rather than my usual fare of just walking through the episode bit by bit though, I am going to try something different. We are going to […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 13/14 [Matchmaking/Coupled]

The unstoppable Anime Catch-up Train continues with a Ballroom doubleheader. These two episodes weren’t aired on the same day like 4 and 5 from the previous cour, but they might as well have been, given the way they complimented one another. Chinatsu has stolen not only the spotlight, but every bulb in the damn house […]

Made in Abyss – 13[The Challengers]

Normally when I finish a series I take a moment to think back on it and try to imagine just how I would make it better. Maybe better pacing or removing a certain character or story arc that went nowhere or just improving the animation at certain points. But with Made in Abyss I tried […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100