Posted by psgels on 7 August 2011 with categories: Tiger & Bunny

This episode contained the big plot twist. The one that had been looming for ages now and had been hinted at numerous times. It’s again the characters who made it awesome, but I do have one problem with it:

The ending would have been a great cliff-hanger if it wasn’t so bloody overused. Maverick is a great villain, but he also falls victim to the “let me tall you all about my evil plans, because I’m going to kill you afterwards anyway”-syndrome. At least I can understand the reasoning of him: his powers are convenient, but take a long while to load, so without some kind of precaution, nobody is stupid enough to wait for that. It’s a good way to tell about his plans in order to buy some time. Just… don’t pretend that it’s a cliff-hanger and that we don’t know what’s going to happen next.

As for the rest of the episode… is it really that weird for Kotetsu to have trouble saying that he’s losing his powers? How does that make him a ‘retard’, when his pride refuses him to expose a weakness to his partner, who he always tried to look cool in front of. People really aren’t that eager to share their personal problems with others. In fact, just about every character in this series is full of inner struggles, and throughout the entire series we’ve had the people around them just guess what’s up. It’s not like this is Kimi ni Todoke, whore the characters spend an entire season dodging their issues.

This episode, on top of having the big plot twist, also probably marked the depth in this series, where the relationships between the characters are at their lowest. Tiger who tried to keep both of his promises has instead gotten into a big fight with both Kaede and Barnaby, and the next few episodes will probably focus again on him, trying to make up with them.

The big question mark right now lies in the kind of villain that Maverick is: one kick and he’ll be out. At this point, the climax will be either en over the top fight with Lunatic, or a plot to expose Maverick’s lies to the public: something that also could be done by people without superpowers.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Puran says:

Having trouble telling that he was losing his powers is fine, but I didn’t really like the fact the Bunny learned that he is quitting by accident. I was really hoping the tiger would tell him when he said the “I decided I’m going to stick around until this is done”.

Anyway, despite the predictability, coincidences and a few cliches, this was still nicely done.

Problem is. It seems that the creators have played all their hands now. We practically know the answers to everything now. And there doesn’t seem to be any reveals left for the climax.

2. Outis says:

I found that one of the main draws of T&B is not the plot itself, which hits pretty much every cliche the superhero genre has to offer, but how well the series delivers it, supported by the strong and (mostly) well developed cast of characters. Maverick telling about his plans runs in the same vein as no one recognizing Kotetsu when he wears his little mask. As you already mentioned, Maverick did the usual villain trope of “let me tell you about my plans”, but in the same paragraph you also acknowledged that the way things played out made sense. Not that I think about it, I guess that expecting the series to be something other that a declaration of love for the classic superhero genre and all its tropes, is setting oneself up for disappointment.

Anyway, for me, the big “twist” wasn’t the centerpiece of the final scene, as it has been hinted at various times already, but how it played out and how the participants were characterized. The director managed to send a nice chill down my spine by making Maverick genuinely creepy in that scene and made me feel the tragedy of Barnaby’s situation in this moment.

Once again I really like how solid the characterization of everyone is and how each individual stays true to the picture we got of them throughout the series, like Kotetsu. As you mentioned, it makes sense that he’s would try to hide his troubles, even to the point of getting himself into trouble. Something drastic would have to happen to get him to act otherwise, which probably is what happened in this episode. It’s who he is and which has been showcased time and time again. Even his very own brother had to coerce him into telling what’s up.

3. gandalf8 says:

I can understand why Kotetsu keeps dodging the bullet in regards to telling Barnaby about his resignation. But that doesn’t mean I can’t feel frustrated watching him acting like this. I really had hoped that after Barnaby overheard his conversation with Kaede he would finally make a clean breast of it. Instead, he tries to give a lame a** reason that wouldn’t fool anyone with half a brain, and really insults the bond that they’ve both developed. Barnaby has confided a lot of his secrets with Kotetsu, so I think he’s really justified to feel angry with him. Kotetsu did the same thing during the Jake arc, where he didn’t trust his partner as Barnaby had put his trust in him, so I really thought he would have learned his lesson. Too bad he hasn’t.

Although by the end of the episode Kotetsu is finally trying to make amends, I hope he won’t be too late to help Barnaby. That Maverick knows Kotetsu heard Kriem’s testimony means that he will be targeted, either for a memory modification or an “accident”. And Samantha will probably be in great danger too. I hope she gets in touch with Kotetsu about the picture she found. I’m guessing her memory was also modified, as her previous recollection of that day, she told Barnaby that she only went out. Really looking forward to next week.

4. I’ve seen some people speculate that Maverick drugged Bunny (I think I saw a shot where the pen he was playing with earlier in the episode was lying next to the tea set with some liquid coming out) and that’s why he didn’t run away (and means that Maverick did have a plan to make sure that Bunny didn’t escape before he altered his memories).

5. Ghost says:

I was so agitated with Kotetsu because he finally had his chance to come clean but didn’t take it. Thus, it blew up in his face but I kinda understand his reasoning of trying to dodge the bullet. Ugh…I was screaming at the screen for Bunny to run or Tiger to save him(which would’ve been cliche) but then realized he was drugged…Usually I don’t connect with characters but this series got me feeling Bunny’s pain…Next episode please! Lol Im wondering how everything is going to play out now!

6. Thelonius says:

It does seem, that most of the mysteries have been solved by this point, but then again, I’m wondering how it’ll all play put.

I really liked, how subtly the theme of prejudice between the normal humans and the NEXT was played out. The Hero TV seemed like something a bit ridiculous and a statement about commercialism in our society in the first episodes, but this revelations firmly points to its true purpose – to make people view NEXT without prejudice, as Heroes instead of super-powered threats.

The Villains in Tiger&Bunny are really impressive in how the approach their objectives. Even the Jake’s seemingly meaningless acts of terrorism, now make sense – the ratings of the Hero TV are at their highest and the world believes itself safe from NEXT, with Heroes protecting them. Very impressive.

7. YaoiShotaMon says:

Hahaha, totally called it.

Though it was a nice touch of the extra background for Mavrick, I was just thinking of him as some consumerist elite killing his parents so that Bunny could be trained by him as a Hero fully under his influence. Instead he sensationalized the media for heroes as a way of fighting the prejudice against the NEXTs. That certainly has its appeal.

I’ll look forward to the conclusion.

8. YaoiShotaMon says:

Hahaha, totally called it.

I’ll look forward to the conclusion.

9. Lirael says:

I really liked the ‘twist’. Yes, it was cliche, but so what? They still managed to make me feel bad for Barnaby and the villain was actually creepy. Also, Maverick had a goal other than ‘world dominantion’ so hurray for that. I don’t think a series needs to be ‘fresh’ to be good.

That tea was definately drugged, which makes the preview shot of Tiger drinking tea too very interesting…

10. alt says:

I guess its too late for me to say “hahaha! I knew who the final bad guy was all this time and it was obvious his memorys were programed”.

I guess the only thing left for me to point out is the date. It’s 1978? Wow that totally sets the stage for a second series staring the kid and her plucky sidekick in “modern times”.

11. LilyGinnyBlack says:

@alt: It’s NC 1978 and according to the pilot episode the series takes place in the 22nd Century. So, I’m assuming NC stands for something like New Century and is used in a similar fashion to our BC/AD or BCE/CE.

As for the episode itself, I was waiting for this episode for a *long* time. While I may have already known who the big bad was, the execution of this was excellent and really creeped me out and made me feel anxious for Barnaby as well as for Samantha and Kotetsu.

Also, the series could go in a few directions right now, and I have a few theories running through my head. And while I may get some parts right, I doubt I’ll be able to predict everything. Tiger and Bunny, while they use cliches and execute them wonderfully, they also usually throw in one or two things that no one expected and that throws the fandom off a bit.

So, I’m looking forward to what Sunrise has in store for us…Of course, I’m also dreading what Sunrise has in store for us, because this is Sunrise. D:

12. m says:

I think they probably should have gone with the popular hypothesis that the resting chambers were the source of Maverick’s ability to alter Barnaby’s memories. Maverick’s ability makes killing Barnaby’s parents rather pointless, unless he was strongly motivated to steal their child. It would also have given him a reason to torment Saito in the elevator while possibly removing some alterations to the machine. So is that another thread that will pop up later or was it already used for cover for something I’ve forgotten?

After the two major curveballs they threw into the second half I would not have been surprised if Maverick had turned out to be a red herring. Still, it’s interesting that they pulled the curtain now when there are so many episodes left, which opens up the possibility that we’ll get to see a bigger fish. It’ll also be interesting to see how Lunatic ties into the finale, and if the whole thing will end with a sequel hook in light of the show’s financial success.

13. m says:

Oh, and Kotetsu not telling Barnaby about his power instability is a pretty serious character flaw. It’s not like they’re office workers, but rather crime fighters dealing in a dangerous business where Kotetsu’s powers screwing up could get Barnaby killed. Kotetsu is a really flawed guy that in the hands of a more jaded writer would be made to pay for his many selfish traits with real hardships, and not just some throw-away guilt over Lunatic killing some serial killer.

14. LilyGinnyBlack says:

@m: About why Maverick didn’t just alter Barnaby’s parents memories, there could be a number of reasons why he didn’t do that and killed them instead.

The first being that, if a small difference can then trigger and undo the memory alteration, then that would have been risky for Maverick to let Barnaby’s parents live with altered memories. He probably saw them as being far more of a threat than Barnaby and he may have thought that their will was too strong to alter or the memory alteration wouldn’t have held for as long as he would have liked. Killing them was then the easiest way to silence them and not have to worry about them remembering what they found out.

Plus, others have mentioned that there may be limitations on his powers. Just like how Barnaby and Kotetsu can only use their powers and then they have to wait an hour to use them again, perhaps Maverick can only erase or alter one set of memories at a time. When dealing with two people at the same time that could be problematic. There could also be other issues such as that, which made killing them the easier route to go.

And I don’t doubt that this series is going to have a least one more twist before it is over. As for how Lunatic can be brought back into all of this, if Maverick goes and kills Samantha, he can then frame Kotetsu for it, and then Lunatic will be after Kotetsu. Of course, once Lunatic finds out the truth he could then (possibly) help out Kotetsu, Barnaby, and the other heroes go up against Maverick (or the whole of the corrupted HERO TV organization in general). Kaede also needs to fit somewhere in there, though…

15. AidanAK47 says:

Tiger not telling Barnaby about his powers fading wasn’t so unbelievable. It’s makes sense that he would try to hide it. He hasn’t be shown to be the smartest man in the shows. However time and time again I find myself questioning why he doesn’t trust Barnaby.
    Barnaby gas never done anything to lose Tigers trust. Tiger has often asked for Barnaby’s trust and got it. While Tiger isn’t very smart it doesn’t make sense for him to distrust Barnaby without a good reason. So while this continues it only serves to make Tigers character very jaded and hypocritical.

16. Mormegil says:

What?! Sawako isn’t a whore at all!

17. Anon says:

Kotetsu has a serious issue in trusting others. There really isn’t a single person in his life whom he is completely open to (maybe his late wife). There’s always something that he hides from anyone. There are only 2 people who know about his power decline, his brother and Ben, and there isn’t a single person who knows about his dilemma about quitting and leaving the stressed out Bunny alone. All he tells his family is that there are “circumstances.”

He keeps marking his boundaries and pushing away anyone who wants to cross that boundaries and get closer to him with bad lies and false smiles. His body language says “it’s none of your business, don’t bother me!” very clearly.

It’s not just about pride, it’s basically an insult to people who care about his well being, such as Bunny. Under normal circumstances, Bunny might just get pissed off at Kotetsu, like Kotetsu’s brother. However, Bunny is less than stable now so he understandably throw a tantrum.

18. Hunter-Wolf says:

Well .. that’s one hell of an episode .. many people had doubts Maverick was a villain .. but no one ever thought it would be delivered this well … i really love how they tied everything together (Barnaby’s parent research, Hero TV, Oboboros,NEXTs … etc etc) .. simply magnificent .. and they also manged to make Maverick’s debut as a NEXT and a villain right down creepy and chilling.

As to why Barnaby didn’t resist .. it is pretty well done too .. as some people mentioned … HE IS DRUGGED .. the pen Maverick was playing around with was leaking a sedative on the table when he left it there .. so the tea he gave to Barnaby had the sedative in it (hence Barnaby’s warning to Kotetsu in the preview while he is drinking Maverick’s tea).

Also .. we saw how Maverick’s power takes time to activate … meaning he couldn’t have used it on two different people and without sedating them first … he HAD TO kill Barnaby’s parents to keep himself from being exposed .. it all makes sense.

19. m says:

Maverick has a gun. He could have easily put Barnaby’s parents into a closet before altering their memories. He did not have to kill them. To be perfectly blunt he didn’t even have to alter their memories, since anyone in their lab or part of Maverick’s organization could have leaked the information. He could have simply cast aspersion on someone else, since they almost certainly lacked any hard evidence that he was personally responsible.

20. Hunter-Wolf says:

@m

Well .. it seems they were certain it was him and he clearly had a very strong motivate too … we weren’t told exactly how they got that info but it clear they did their investigation into the matter before asking him to stop .. as for what you said about threatening them with the gun or locking them .. it seems that’s what he did .. but they tried to resist him so he ended up shooting them.

21. Hogart says:

Interesting comments here. I think that m’s right, in terms of the writers not putting Tiger through the wringer as is common in these stories, but I think they have too many characters to put through said wringer.. it would be odd to just bash on Tiger, and this helps balance the series from becoming an emofest.

I appreciate how T&B seems to actually use cliches as they’re meant to be used, without totally abusing them or phoning it in as usual for this type of show/anime. It’s just used for the mindless and obvious stuff, while the story focuses on things that aren’t usually handled with any grace or tact in superhero shows.

22. koko says:

Barnaby is a stupid fuck

Just finished Rage of Bahamut and I have to say I didn't expect an emotional climax. Also Rita is the best in show here. But really I don't see the prospect of sequel, especially a 24-episodes one.
Evidently so. That still feels just wrong. He's sort of her father. Ehhhh
"I am a slave to my own blood" -Konatsu.
Aldnoah needed actually interesting characters and character arcs instead of boring assholes. Why does it need more time on the lore when it's just generic scifi jib
One minor thing that baffled me beside *that* in Rakugo was they don't show Konatsu's rakugo in the end. It makes more sense if we can see her perform, but I understand that the show have to put new rakugo material and that was impposible.
@Aidan: I think *that twist* is sweet (not). Points for the show for having a balls to address that, but...
And that's Rakugo finished. A delayed finale but non the less a satisfying one....Though on the matter of *that* I am going full head canon and pretending it didn't happen. Because HELL FUCKING NO.
HelghastKillzone
Troyca's Aldnoah.Zero was 24 eps long but it really needed 50 to flesh out concepts and lore.
HelghastKillzone
*Virgin Soul
HelghastKillzone
Apparently, Virgin is going to be 24 episodes and Re:creators is 22 eps long. I don't know how to feel about that.
Catching up with Rage of Bahamoth myself. Say I really enjoy what I see so far. Characters are its weakest part and pacing is uneven, but everything else work quite well
... Feherlofia is Hungarian one. But I have a really fond feeling towards Soviet and those ex-communist animation. Movies as well
@Kaiser: yep, know both of them. Actually
@Topgavin: wuah your love with Madoka. I was like watching that show for 3 times, but Rebellion just once. I still think that Rebellion adds up to the series narratively. Shaft (be themselves) put a lots of extra background details to the Bluray version, so I'm sure you can't go wrong watching Madoka on Bluray.
Guess I'm just in the mood for some comfycore anime. =)
There's really stuff I need to get round to watching like alderman and chain chronicle, giving utawerumono's s2 another chance, watching those dumb old golgo ovas, catching up on Shamo and city hunter where I left off.
@Mario: If you are looking for something to review for the world animation project, I recommend Fehérlófia , a Soviet era psychadelic folktale animation. Also look into the available short animations by Alexander Petrov (he uses a style of animation which mixes oil painting on glass).
Konstantinos Travlos
Finished watching Chain Chronicle :Light of Hacchetias (TV version). While not something to write home about it was not bad. It did a tried old recipe well.
@SuperMario, we dont have to, but its fun to try and pinpoint the real-world timeline to the shows timeline.

@Topgavin, oh yeah. Madoka is amazing.
Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100