Posted by psgels on 7 August 2011 with categories: Tiger & Bunny

This episode contained the big plot twist. The one that had been looming for ages now and had been hinted at numerous times. It’s again the characters who made it awesome, but I do have one problem with it:

The ending would have been a great cliff-hanger if it wasn’t so bloody overused. Maverick is a great villain, but he also falls victim to the “let me tall you all about my evil plans, because I’m going to kill you afterwards anyway”-syndrome. At least I can understand the reasoning of him: his powers are convenient, but take a long while to load, so without some kind of precaution, nobody is stupid enough to wait for that. It’s a good way to tell about his plans in order to buy some time. Just… don’t pretend that it’s a cliff-hanger and that we don’t know what’s going to happen next.

As for the rest of the episode… is it really that weird for Kotetsu to have trouble saying that he’s losing his powers? How does that make him a ‘retard’, when his pride refuses him to expose a weakness to his partner, who he always tried to look cool in front of. People really aren’t that eager to share their personal problems with others. In fact, just about every character in this series is full of inner struggles, and throughout the entire series we’ve had the people around them just guess what’s up. It’s not like this is Kimi ni Todoke, whore the characters spend an entire season dodging their issues.

This episode, on top of having the big plot twist, also probably marked the depth in this series, where the relationships between the characters are at their lowest. Tiger who tried to keep both of his promises has instead gotten into a big fight with both Kaede and Barnaby, and the next few episodes will probably focus again on him, trying to make up with them.

The big question mark right now lies in the kind of villain that Maverick is: one kick and he’ll be out. At this point, the climax will be either en over the top fight with Lunatic, or a plot to expose Maverick’s lies to the public: something that also could be done by people without superpowers.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Puran says:

Having trouble telling that he was losing his powers is fine, but I didn’t really like the fact the Bunny learned that he is quitting by accident. I was really hoping the tiger would tell him when he said the “I decided I’m going to stick around until this is done”.

Anyway, despite the predictability, coincidences and a few cliches, this was still nicely done.

Problem is. It seems that the creators have played all their hands now. We practically know the answers to everything now. And there doesn’t seem to be any reveals left for the climax.

2. Outis says:

I found that one of the main draws of T&B is not the plot itself, which hits pretty much every cliche the superhero genre has to offer, but how well the series delivers it, supported by the strong and (mostly) well developed cast of characters. Maverick telling about his plans runs in the same vein as no one recognizing Kotetsu when he wears his little mask. As you already mentioned, Maverick did the usual villain trope of “let me tell you about my plans”, but in the same paragraph you also acknowledged that the way things played out made sense. Not that I think about it, I guess that expecting the series to be something other that a declaration of love for the classic superhero genre and all its tropes, is setting oneself up for disappointment.

Anyway, for me, the big “twist” wasn’t the centerpiece of the final scene, as it has been hinted at various times already, but how it played out and how the participants were characterized. The director managed to send a nice chill down my spine by making Maverick genuinely creepy in that scene and made me feel the tragedy of Barnaby’s situation in this moment.

Once again I really like how solid the characterization of everyone is and how each individual stays true to the picture we got of them throughout the series, like Kotetsu. As you mentioned, it makes sense that he’s would try to hide his troubles, even to the point of getting himself into trouble. Something drastic would have to happen to get him to act otherwise, which probably is what happened in this episode. It’s who he is and which has been showcased time and time again. Even his very own brother had to coerce him into telling what’s up.

3. gandalf8 says:

I can understand why Kotetsu keeps dodging the bullet in regards to telling Barnaby about his resignation. But that doesn’t mean I can’t feel frustrated watching him acting like this. I really had hoped that after Barnaby overheard his conversation with Kaede he would finally make a clean breast of it. Instead, he tries to give a lame a** reason that wouldn’t fool anyone with half a brain, and really insults the bond that they’ve both developed. Barnaby has confided a lot of his secrets with Kotetsu, so I think he’s really justified to feel angry with him. Kotetsu did the same thing during the Jake arc, where he didn’t trust his partner as Barnaby had put his trust in him, so I really thought he would have learned his lesson. Too bad he hasn’t.

Although by the end of the episode Kotetsu is finally trying to make amends, I hope he won’t be too late to help Barnaby. That Maverick knows Kotetsu heard Kriem’s testimony means that he will be targeted, either for a memory modification or an “accident”. And Samantha will probably be in great danger too. I hope she gets in touch with Kotetsu about the picture she found. I’m guessing her memory was also modified, as her previous recollection of that day, she told Barnaby that she only went out. Really looking forward to next week.

4. I’ve seen some people speculate that Maverick drugged Bunny (I think I saw a shot where the pen he was playing with earlier in the episode was lying next to the tea set with some liquid coming out) and that’s why he didn’t run away (and means that Maverick did have a plan to make sure that Bunny didn’t escape before he altered his memories).

5. Ghost says:

I was so agitated with Kotetsu because he finally had his chance to come clean but didn’t take it. Thus, it blew up in his face but I kinda understand his reasoning of trying to dodge the bullet. Ugh…I was screaming at the screen for Bunny to run or Tiger to save him(which would’ve been cliche) but then realized he was drugged…Usually I don’t connect with characters but this series got me feeling Bunny’s pain…Next episode please! Lol Im wondering how everything is going to play out now!

6. Thelonius says:

It does seem, that most of the mysteries have been solved by this point, but then again, I’m wondering how it’ll all play put.

I really liked, how subtly the theme of prejudice between the normal humans and the NEXT was played out. The Hero TV seemed like something a bit ridiculous and a statement about commercialism in our society in the first episodes, but this revelations firmly points to its true purpose – to make people view NEXT without prejudice, as Heroes instead of super-powered threats.

The Villains in Tiger&Bunny are really impressive in how the approach their objectives. Even the Jake’s seemingly meaningless acts of terrorism, now make sense – the ratings of the Hero TV are at their highest and the world believes itself safe from NEXT, with Heroes protecting them. Very impressive.

7. YaoiShotaMon says:

Hahaha, totally called it.

Though it was a nice touch of the extra background for Mavrick, I was just thinking of him as some consumerist elite killing his parents so that Bunny could be trained by him as a Hero fully under his influence. Instead he sensationalized the media for heroes as a way of fighting the prejudice against the NEXTs. That certainly has its appeal.

I’ll look forward to the conclusion.

8. YaoiShotaMon says:

Hahaha, totally called it.

I’ll look forward to the conclusion.

9. Lirael says:

I really liked the ‘twist’. Yes, it was cliche, but so what? They still managed to make me feel bad for Barnaby and the villain was actually creepy. Also, Maverick had a goal other than ‘world dominantion’ so hurray for that. I don’t think a series needs to be ‘fresh’ to be good.

That tea was definately drugged, which makes the preview shot of Tiger drinking tea too very interesting…

10. alt says:

I guess its too late for me to say “hahaha! I knew who the final bad guy was all this time and it was obvious his memorys were programed”.

I guess the only thing left for me to point out is the date. It’s 1978? Wow that totally sets the stage for a second series staring the kid and her plucky sidekick in “modern times”.

11. LilyGinnyBlack says:

@alt: It’s NC 1978 and according to the pilot episode the series takes place in the 22nd Century. So, I’m assuming NC stands for something like New Century and is used in a similar fashion to our BC/AD or BCE/CE.

As for the episode itself, I was waiting for this episode for a *long* time. While I may have already known who the big bad was, the execution of this was excellent and really creeped me out and made me feel anxious for Barnaby as well as for Samantha and Kotetsu.

Also, the series could go in a few directions right now, and I have a few theories running through my head. And while I may get some parts right, I doubt I’ll be able to predict everything. Tiger and Bunny, while they use cliches and execute them wonderfully, they also usually throw in one or two things that no one expected and that throws the fandom off a bit.

So, I’m looking forward to what Sunrise has in store for us…Of course, I’m also dreading what Sunrise has in store for us, because this is Sunrise. D:

12. m says:

I think they probably should have gone with the popular hypothesis that the resting chambers were the source of Maverick’s ability to alter Barnaby’s memories. Maverick’s ability makes killing Barnaby’s parents rather pointless, unless he was strongly motivated to steal their child. It would also have given him a reason to torment Saito in the elevator while possibly removing some alterations to the machine. So is that another thread that will pop up later or was it already used for cover for something I’ve forgotten?

After the two major curveballs they threw into the second half I would not have been surprised if Maverick had turned out to be a red herring. Still, it’s interesting that they pulled the curtain now when there are so many episodes left, which opens up the possibility that we’ll get to see a bigger fish. It’ll also be interesting to see how Lunatic ties into the finale, and if the whole thing will end with a sequel hook in light of the show’s financial success.

13. m says:

Oh, and Kotetsu not telling Barnaby about his power instability is a pretty serious character flaw. It’s not like they’re office workers, but rather crime fighters dealing in a dangerous business where Kotetsu’s powers screwing up could get Barnaby killed. Kotetsu is a really flawed guy that in the hands of a more jaded writer would be made to pay for his many selfish traits with real hardships, and not just some throw-away guilt over Lunatic killing some serial killer.

14. LilyGinnyBlack says:

@m: About why Maverick didn’t just alter Barnaby’s parents memories, there could be a number of reasons why he didn’t do that and killed them instead.

The first being that, if a small difference can then trigger and undo the memory alteration, then that would have been risky for Maverick to let Barnaby’s parents live with altered memories. He probably saw them as being far more of a threat than Barnaby and he may have thought that their will was too strong to alter or the memory alteration wouldn’t have held for as long as he would have liked. Killing them was then the easiest way to silence them and not have to worry about them remembering what they found out.

Plus, others have mentioned that there may be limitations on his powers. Just like how Barnaby and Kotetsu can only use their powers and then they have to wait an hour to use them again, perhaps Maverick can only erase or alter one set of memories at a time. When dealing with two people at the same time that could be problematic. There could also be other issues such as that, which made killing them the easier route to go.

And I don’t doubt that this series is going to have a least one more twist before it is over. As for how Lunatic can be brought back into all of this, if Maverick goes and kills Samantha, he can then frame Kotetsu for it, and then Lunatic will be after Kotetsu. Of course, once Lunatic finds out the truth he could then (possibly) help out Kotetsu, Barnaby, and the other heroes go up against Maverick (or the whole of the corrupted HERO TV organization in general). Kaede also needs to fit somewhere in there, though…

15. AidanAK47 says:

Tiger not telling Barnaby about his powers fading wasn’t so unbelievable. It’s makes sense that he would try to hide it. He hasn’t be shown to be the smartest man in the shows. However time and time again I find myself questioning why he doesn’t trust Barnaby.
    Barnaby gas never done anything to lose Tigers trust. Tiger has often asked for Barnaby’s trust and got it. While Tiger isn’t very smart it doesn’t make sense for him to distrust Barnaby without a good reason. So while this continues it only serves to make Tigers character very jaded and hypocritical.

16. Mormegil says:

What?! Sawako isn’t a whore at all!

17. Anon says:

Kotetsu has a serious issue in trusting others. There really isn’t a single person in his life whom he is completely open to (maybe his late wife). There’s always something that he hides from anyone. There are only 2 people who know about his power decline, his brother and Ben, and there isn’t a single person who knows about his dilemma about quitting and leaving the stressed out Bunny alone. All he tells his family is that there are “circumstances.”

He keeps marking his boundaries and pushing away anyone who wants to cross that boundaries and get closer to him with bad lies and false smiles. His body language says “it’s none of your business, don’t bother me!” very clearly.

It’s not just about pride, it’s basically an insult to people who care about his well being, such as Bunny. Under normal circumstances, Bunny might just get pissed off at Kotetsu, like Kotetsu’s brother. However, Bunny is less than stable now so he understandably throw a tantrum.

18. Hunter-Wolf says:

Well .. that’s one hell of an episode .. many people had doubts Maverick was a villain .. but no one ever thought it would be delivered this well … i really love how they tied everything together (Barnaby’s parent research, Hero TV, Oboboros,NEXTs … etc etc) .. simply magnificent .. and they also manged to make Maverick’s debut as a NEXT and a villain right down creepy and chilling.

As to why Barnaby didn’t resist .. it is pretty well done too .. as some people mentioned … HE IS DRUGGED .. the pen Maverick was playing around with was leaking a sedative on the table when he left it there .. so the tea he gave to Barnaby had the sedative in it (hence Barnaby’s warning to Kotetsu in the preview while he is drinking Maverick’s tea).

Also .. we saw how Maverick’s power takes time to activate … meaning he couldn’t have used it on two different people and without sedating them first … he HAD TO kill Barnaby’s parents to keep himself from being exposed .. it all makes sense.

19. m says:

Maverick has a gun. He could have easily put Barnaby’s parents into a closet before altering their memories. He did not have to kill them. To be perfectly blunt he didn’t even have to alter their memories, since anyone in their lab or part of Maverick’s organization could have leaked the information. He could have simply cast aspersion on someone else, since they almost certainly lacked any hard evidence that he was personally responsible.

20. Hunter-Wolf says:

@m

Well .. it seems they were certain it was him and he clearly had a very strong motivate too … we weren’t told exactly how they got that info but it clear they did their investigation into the matter before asking him to stop .. as for what you said about threatening them with the gun or locking them .. it seems that’s what he did .. but they tried to resist him so he ended up shooting them.

21. Hogart says:

Interesting comments here. I think that m’s right, in terms of the writers not putting Tiger through the wringer as is common in these stories, but I think they have too many characters to put through said wringer.. it would be odd to just bash on Tiger, and this helps balance the series from becoming an emofest.

I appreciate how T&B seems to actually use cliches as they’re meant to be used, without totally abusing them or phoning it in as usual for this type of show/anime. It’s just used for the mindless and obvious stuff, while the story focuses on things that aren’t usually handled with any grace or tact in superhero shows.

22. koko says:

Barnaby is a stupid fuck

@Kaiser: right. The sole reason I described it as "cinematic" was just to lure you into watching it, so mission accomplished! Mind you, Girls' Last Tour is still a moe show at heart (look at their round faces and those big eyes. They're killing me)
But in all seriousness, I had had it initially written off as a crap moe show.
@Mario: You're ministry of anime propaganda tactics mentioning how cinematic it is got me to pick it up =P And you know how much of an aesthetics guy I am =P
I'm glad that many of you enjoying Girls' Last Tour. It's a nice little gem that I think works best when you going to it without any expectation
I swear this season has a lot of good anime to offer. I'm jaded
I always considered backgrounds as pretty important. Most anime only use them as backdrops because they have to be there somehow and it's really a different thing than Girls' Last Journey for example. Also I will like everything that has exploration and world building.
And achieves taking the viewer into its world, thankfully without relying on tons of expositional dialogue.
Girls last tour, somewhat succeeds in pulling me in by using its landscape that dwarfs the characters, to create its atmosphere, I wouldn't call it all that unfunny either. Though premise could risk going stale.
@Amagi, HA! Yeah I would like to believe but I am thinking that's not the case. Besides next season is looking pretty barren so far.
Eden would be great. But speaking of it, a lot of good manga get adapted recently. Maybe they finally understood that generic isekai, harem and school stuff isn't as popular as they thought it would be.
Maybe one day I can hope for a Freesia or Eden Endless world adaptation.
Jesus christ....I never thought it would happen, Banana fish is being adapted, I didn't think they could adapt a shoujo like that in todays market.
I also watched Inuyashiki and Girl's Last Tour. Inuyashiki looks great. Man do I hate that young guy. Reading what he did and seeing it was a totally different experience. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Girls Last Tour is really something special. In a good way.
Altair's episode showed all the issues and all the good things of the show. The pace is too quick, and yet they managed to build Urado and its denizens up quick fast in it. But again, this is a show that needs the LGOH treatment.
The manga also always uses "he/him" but I am not sure if the original had this too (like "kare" or similar words) since you can talk for a long time in Japanese without ever using pronouns.
Ah, yes I noticed Phos uses Boku in this episode which is the male way of saying I.
@Mario: Man, Zvyagintsev really, really knows how to deliver truly emotional gut punching moments and endings that are like cutting at open wounds.
@Mario: Houseki has fallen into place for me with those scenes with Dia and the snail thing and I've fully embraced the show, happy to see it just continue to do its thing.
@Mario: While Marios are girls best friend DIAmonds ahhhhre for evvvvvvahhh *Shirley Basey voice*
*bride
I can say though that if people fear the "Bastard Boyfiend" angle, its not that really. Its more of really weird apprenticeship relationship. Ainsworth is inhuman character in many ways
Oh hey, Mahoutsukai no Yome is on covered list. Nice, it is weird manga to read through since I'm kind of creeped out by the bribe thing, but its barely mentioned at all.
After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.

Ballroom e Youkoso – 15/16 [Taking the Reins/Four-legged]

Boy, this was really a Tale of Two Ballrooms. One of these episodes was almost certainly outsourced, based on the visual inconsistencies that extended even to key poses, but handled its character moments dutifully. The other looked markedly better than most of this show’s recent offerings, but rushed through so much material that its conclusion […]

Houseki no Kuni – 03 [Metamorphose]

It just occurred to me since I watched Bakuman (the first season of it, anyways) fairly recently, but watching Bakuman made me realize how tough it is to have your manga publicize, let alone become a popular one. For those who have watched the anime or read the manga of Bakuman, remember the early Golden […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100