Posted by psgels on 7 August 2011 with categories: Tiger & Bunny

This episode contained the big plot twist. The one that had been looming for ages now and had been hinted at numerous times. It’s again the characters who made it awesome, but I do have one problem with it:

The ending would have been a great cliff-hanger if it wasn’t so bloody overused. Maverick is a great villain, but he also falls victim to the “let me tall you all about my evil plans, because I’m going to kill you afterwards anyway”-syndrome. At least I can understand the reasoning of him: his powers are convenient, but take a long while to load, so without some kind of precaution, nobody is stupid enough to wait for that. It’s a good way to tell about his plans in order to buy some time. Just… don’t pretend that it’s a cliff-hanger and that we don’t know what’s going to happen next.

As for the rest of the episode… is it really that weird for Kotetsu to have trouble saying that he’s losing his powers? How does that make him a ‘retard’, when his pride refuses him to expose a weakness to his partner, who he always tried to look cool in front of. People really aren’t that eager to share their personal problems with others. In fact, just about every character in this series is full of inner struggles, and throughout the entire series we’ve had the people around them just guess what’s up. It’s not like this is Kimi ni Todoke, whore the characters spend an entire season dodging their issues.

This episode, on top of having the big plot twist, also probably marked the depth in this series, where the relationships between the characters are at their lowest. Tiger who tried to keep both of his promises has instead gotten into a big fight with both Kaede and Barnaby, and the next few episodes will probably focus again on him, trying to make up with them.

The big question mark right now lies in the kind of villain that Maverick is: one kick and he’ll be out. At this point, the climax will be either en over the top fight with Lunatic, or a plot to expose Maverick’s lies to the public: something that also could be done by people without superpowers.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Puran says:

Having trouble telling that he was losing his powers is fine, but I didn’t really like the fact the Bunny learned that he is quitting by accident. I was really hoping the tiger would tell him when he said the “I decided I’m going to stick around until this is done”.

Anyway, despite the predictability, coincidences and a few cliches, this was still nicely done.

Problem is. It seems that the creators have played all their hands now. We practically know the answers to everything now. And there doesn’t seem to be any reveals left for the climax.

2. Outis says:

I found that one of the main draws of T&B is not the plot itself, which hits pretty much every cliche the superhero genre has to offer, but how well the series delivers it, supported by the strong and (mostly) well developed cast of characters. Maverick telling about his plans runs in the same vein as no one recognizing Kotetsu when he wears his little mask. As you already mentioned, Maverick did the usual villain trope of “let me tell you about my plans”, but in the same paragraph you also acknowledged that the way things played out made sense. Not that I think about it, I guess that expecting the series to be something other that a declaration of love for the classic superhero genre and all its tropes, is setting oneself up for disappointment.

Anyway, for me, the big “twist” wasn’t the centerpiece of the final scene, as it has been hinted at various times already, but how it played out and how the participants were characterized. The director managed to send a nice chill down my spine by making Maverick genuinely creepy in that scene and made me feel the tragedy of Barnaby’s situation in this moment.

Once again I really like how solid the characterization of everyone is and how each individual stays true to the picture we got of them throughout the series, like Kotetsu. As you mentioned, it makes sense that he’s would try to hide his troubles, even to the point of getting himself into trouble. Something drastic would have to happen to get him to act otherwise, which probably is what happened in this episode. It’s who he is and which has been showcased time and time again. Even his very own brother had to coerce him into telling what’s up.

3. gandalf8 says:

I can understand why Kotetsu keeps dodging the bullet in regards to telling Barnaby about his resignation. But that doesn’t mean I can’t feel frustrated watching him acting like this. I really had hoped that after Barnaby overheard his conversation with Kaede he would finally make a clean breast of it. Instead, he tries to give a lame a** reason that wouldn’t fool anyone with half a brain, and really insults the bond that they’ve both developed. Barnaby has confided a lot of his secrets with Kotetsu, so I think he’s really justified to feel angry with him. Kotetsu did the same thing during the Jake arc, where he didn’t trust his partner as Barnaby had put his trust in him, so I really thought he would have learned his lesson. Too bad he hasn’t.

Although by the end of the episode Kotetsu is finally trying to make amends, I hope he won’t be too late to help Barnaby. That Maverick knows Kotetsu heard Kriem’s testimony means that he will be targeted, either for a memory modification or an “accident”. And Samantha will probably be in great danger too. I hope she gets in touch with Kotetsu about the picture she found. I’m guessing her memory was also modified, as her previous recollection of that day, she told Barnaby that she only went out. Really looking forward to next week.

4. I’ve seen some people speculate that Maverick drugged Bunny (I think I saw a shot where the pen he was playing with earlier in the episode was lying next to the tea set with some liquid coming out) and that’s why he didn’t run away (and means that Maverick did have a plan to make sure that Bunny didn’t escape before he altered his memories).

5. Ghost says:

I was so agitated with Kotetsu because he finally had his chance to come clean but didn’t take it. Thus, it blew up in his face but I kinda understand his reasoning of trying to dodge the bullet. Ugh…I was screaming at the screen for Bunny to run or Tiger to save him(which would’ve been cliche) but then realized he was drugged…Usually I don’t connect with characters but this series got me feeling Bunny’s pain…Next episode please! Lol Im wondering how everything is going to play out now!

6. Thelonius says:

It does seem, that most of the mysteries have been solved by this point, but then again, I’m wondering how it’ll all play put.

I really liked, how subtly the theme of prejudice between the normal humans and the NEXT was played out. The Hero TV seemed like something a bit ridiculous and a statement about commercialism in our society in the first episodes, but this revelations firmly points to its true purpose – to make people view NEXT without prejudice, as Heroes instead of super-powered threats.

The Villains in Tiger&Bunny are really impressive in how the approach their objectives. Even the Jake’s seemingly meaningless acts of terrorism, now make sense – the ratings of the Hero TV are at their highest and the world believes itself safe from NEXT, with Heroes protecting them. Very impressive.

7. YaoiShotaMon says:

Hahaha, totally called it.

Though it was a nice touch of the extra background for Mavrick, I was just thinking of him as some consumerist elite killing his parents so that Bunny could be trained by him as a Hero fully under his influence. Instead he sensationalized the media for heroes as a way of fighting the prejudice against the NEXTs. That certainly has its appeal.

I’ll look forward to the conclusion.

8. YaoiShotaMon says:

Hahaha, totally called it.

I’ll look forward to the conclusion.

9. Lirael says:

I really liked the ‘twist’. Yes, it was cliche, but so what? They still managed to make me feel bad for Barnaby and the villain was actually creepy. Also, Maverick had a goal other than ‘world dominantion’ so hurray for that. I don’t think a series needs to be ‘fresh’ to be good.

That tea was definately drugged, which makes the preview shot of Tiger drinking tea too very interesting…

10. alt says:

I guess its too late for me to say “hahaha! I knew who the final bad guy was all this time and it was obvious his memorys were programed”.

I guess the only thing left for me to point out is the date. It’s 1978? Wow that totally sets the stage for a second series staring the kid and her plucky sidekick in “modern times”.

11. LilyGinnyBlack says:

@alt: It’s NC 1978 and according to the pilot episode the series takes place in the 22nd Century. So, I’m assuming NC stands for something like New Century and is used in a similar fashion to our BC/AD or BCE/CE.

As for the episode itself, I was waiting for this episode for a *long* time. While I may have already known who the big bad was, the execution of this was excellent and really creeped me out and made me feel anxious for Barnaby as well as for Samantha and Kotetsu.

Also, the series could go in a few directions right now, and I have a few theories running through my head. And while I may get some parts right, I doubt I’ll be able to predict everything. Tiger and Bunny, while they use cliches and execute them wonderfully, they also usually throw in one or two things that no one expected and that throws the fandom off a bit.

So, I’m looking forward to what Sunrise has in store for us…Of course, I’m also dreading what Sunrise has in store for us, because this is Sunrise. D:

12. m says:

I think they probably should have gone with the popular hypothesis that the resting chambers were the source of Maverick’s ability to alter Barnaby’s memories. Maverick’s ability makes killing Barnaby’s parents rather pointless, unless he was strongly motivated to steal their child. It would also have given him a reason to torment Saito in the elevator while possibly removing some alterations to the machine. So is that another thread that will pop up later or was it already used for cover for something I’ve forgotten?

After the two major curveballs they threw into the second half I would not have been surprised if Maverick had turned out to be a red herring. Still, it’s interesting that they pulled the curtain now when there are so many episodes left, which opens up the possibility that we’ll get to see a bigger fish. It’ll also be interesting to see how Lunatic ties into the finale, and if the whole thing will end with a sequel hook in light of the show’s financial success.

13. m says:

Oh, and Kotetsu not telling Barnaby about his power instability is a pretty serious character flaw. It’s not like they’re office workers, but rather crime fighters dealing in a dangerous business where Kotetsu’s powers screwing up could get Barnaby killed. Kotetsu is a really flawed guy that in the hands of a more jaded writer would be made to pay for his many selfish traits with real hardships, and not just some throw-away guilt over Lunatic killing some serial killer.

14. LilyGinnyBlack says:

@m: About why Maverick didn’t just alter Barnaby’s parents memories, there could be a number of reasons why he didn’t do that and killed them instead.

The first being that, if a small difference can then trigger and undo the memory alteration, then that would have been risky for Maverick to let Barnaby’s parents live with altered memories. He probably saw them as being far more of a threat than Barnaby and he may have thought that their will was too strong to alter or the memory alteration wouldn’t have held for as long as he would have liked. Killing them was then the easiest way to silence them and not have to worry about them remembering what they found out.

Plus, others have mentioned that there may be limitations on his powers. Just like how Barnaby and Kotetsu can only use their powers and then they have to wait an hour to use them again, perhaps Maverick can only erase or alter one set of memories at a time. When dealing with two people at the same time that could be problematic. There could also be other issues such as that, which made killing them the easier route to go.

And I don’t doubt that this series is going to have a least one more twist before it is over. As for how Lunatic can be brought back into all of this, if Maverick goes and kills Samantha, he can then frame Kotetsu for it, and then Lunatic will be after Kotetsu. Of course, once Lunatic finds out the truth he could then (possibly) help out Kotetsu, Barnaby, and the other heroes go up against Maverick (or the whole of the corrupted HERO TV organization in general). Kaede also needs to fit somewhere in there, though…

15. AidanAK47 says:

Tiger not telling Barnaby about his powers fading wasn’t so unbelievable. It’s makes sense that he would try to hide it. He hasn’t be shown to be the smartest man in the shows. However time and time again I find myself questioning why he doesn’t trust Barnaby.
    Barnaby gas never done anything to lose Tigers trust. Tiger has often asked for Barnaby’s trust and got it. While Tiger isn’t very smart it doesn’t make sense for him to distrust Barnaby without a good reason. So while this continues it only serves to make Tigers character very jaded and hypocritical.

16. Mormegil says:

What?! Sawako isn’t a whore at all!

17. Anon says:

Kotetsu has a serious issue in trusting others. There really isn’t a single person in his life whom he is completely open to (maybe his late wife). There’s always something that he hides from anyone. There are only 2 people who know about his power decline, his brother and Ben, and there isn’t a single person who knows about his dilemma about quitting and leaving the stressed out Bunny alone. All he tells his family is that there are “circumstances.”

He keeps marking his boundaries and pushing away anyone who wants to cross that boundaries and get closer to him with bad lies and false smiles. His body language says “it’s none of your business, don’t bother me!” very clearly.

It’s not just about pride, it’s basically an insult to people who care about his well being, such as Bunny. Under normal circumstances, Bunny might just get pissed off at Kotetsu, like Kotetsu’s brother. However, Bunny is less than stable now so he understandably throw a tantrum.

18. Hunter-Wolf says:

Well .. that’s one hell of an episode .. many people had doubts Maverick was a villain .. but no one ever thought it would be delivered this well … i really love how they tied everything together (Barnaby’s parent research, Hero TV, Oboboros,NEXTs … etc etc) .. simply magnificent .. and they also manged to make Maverick’s debut as a NEXT and a villain right down creepy and chilling.

As to why Barnaby didn’t resist .. it is pretty well done too .. as some people mentioned … HE IS DRUGGED .. the pen Maverick was playing around with was leaking a sedative on the table when he left it there .. so the tea he gave to Barnaby had the sedative in it (hence Barnaby’s warning to Kotetsu in the preview while he is drinking Maverick’s tea).

Also .. we saw how Maverick’s power takes time to activate … meaning he couldn’t have used it on two different people and without sedating them first … he HAD TO kill Barnaby’s parents to keep himself from being exposed .. it all makes sense.

19. m says:

Maverick has a gun. He could have easily put Barnaby’s parents into a closet before altering their memories. He did not have to kill them. To be perfectly blunt he didn’t even have to alter their memories, since anyone in their lab or part of Maverick’s organization could have leaked the information. He could have simply cast aspersion on someone else, since they almost certainly lacked any hard evidence that he was personally responsible.

20. Hunter-Wolf says:

@m

Well .. it seems they were certain it was him and he clearly had a very strong motivate too … we weren’t told exactly how they got that info but it clear they did their investigation into the matter before asking him to stop .. as for what you said about threatening them with the gun or locking them .. it seems that’s what he did .. but they tried to resist him so he ended up shooting them.

21. Hogart says:

Interesting comments here. I think that m’s right, in terms of the writers not putting Tiger through the wringer as is common in these stories, but I think they have too many characters to put through said wringer.. it would be odd to just bash on Tiger, and this helps balance the series from becoming an emofest.

I appreciate how T&B seems to actually use cliches as they’re meant to be used, without totally abusing them or phoning it in as usual for this type of show/anime. It’s just used for the mindless and obvious stuff, while the story focuses on things that aren’t usually handled with any grace or tact in superhero shows.

22. koko says:

Barnaby is a stupid fuck

@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.
KT here:YES!
@Anon: One of his better works, despite reading it twice I've forgotten too much as its been too long since reading it, good though as when I watch the anime the manga won't be as fresh in my mind.
Urasawa's Pluto anime announced! Get hype! Looks like they're keeping designs faithful just like they did with Monster (at least judging from the poster)

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100