Posted by psgels on 9 August 2011 with categories: Steins;Gate

Holy crap! Talk about being completely different from the previous episodes! While those episodes were tragic and bitter-sweet, this one was just completely brutal. The writing in this was just brilliant, as things slowly became clear about what was going on with Moeka, and how any of Okabe’s attempts to change that were futile.

What’s bizarre is also the strange message that she sent. Because she sent a message to herself to buy a new phone, she received the message from a mysterious FB (who seems to be the mastermind behind everything) with the message of where the IBM 5100 was… and yet she just put it in a safe and didn’t hand it over to her subordinates. What’s going on here?

Right now this might be a bit premature to say this, but at this point Steins;Gate has pretty much the best plot of the year for me. Of course, the series hasn’t ended yet, and that FB could very well turn into a generic villain after her revelation, or a very forced alias for a main character (Visual novel readers: please don’t spoil anymore than you’ve already done), but the way the plot is weaved together, the plot twists are delivered, and how this series changes with every passing episode, there isn’t really any other plot to match up to it. Even Madoka Magica, Hyouge Mono and Tiger & Bunny are inferior to it with their storylines.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Jsl273 says:

It gets better…

2. Scruffy says:

This show has been keeping me on the edge of my seat! Absolutely awesome. Whoever FB is they’re a real bastard using people like this!

In reference to the D-mail I don’t think she sent the one about changing the phone, but instead at the last minute changed it to being about the location of the IBN5100.

3. Rex says:

Uh, she lied about the phone bit, it was her who sent the d-mail of the ibm’s location. thats how i understood it, which makes more sense.

And i guess she should just take the ibm away from okarin, she didnt need to hand it over to FB.

4. Elestia says:

Well going by the subs, Okabe said Moeka sent two messages within the D-Mail.

Also, I’m speculating why she didn’t hand over the IBN 5100 was because she was waiting for FB to contact her again before she handed it over.

5. Frost says:

Huh yeah, some people said something about a certain known character being Moekas boss… Now Im wondering if its that “FB”

Anyway, I loved Moeka here, she was so… wild
    I think it was this powerful because youre using to her barely talking and just being a complete introvert, and then she suddenly goes nuts

6. gecd says:

from now on till final episode this series will keep better
    S;G still hide its hidden cards

7. AKI says:

I agree, I spoiled myself by playing the game since I can’t get enough of it. Steins;Gate is still keeping the Kings and the Aces. FB is, well, you’ll be surprised. Best plot of the year, hands down, belongs to Steins;Gate. Hope Robotics;Notes will be this awesome, or, better.

8. jzar says:

Now I’ve gotta go back to episode one, so much I just didn’t get then. I have to admit I’m really liking the show. It has really created a great plot line.

9. CJay says:

My favorite part about this episode is how realistic it was. I feel that in other media the main character wouldn’t resort to that kind of brutality to get the phone but it was carried out here perfectly and realistically here.

10. The plot induced stupidity of the whole moeka putting the ibn in her locker thing gets surpassed by the reveal that I hope doesn’t come…

Other than that the plot is pretty good, but as you look back at the characters a bit closely, youll realize that everyone (especially Okabe) made some really STUPID(to the point of being unrealistic) “wtf retard” worthy decisions.

even so I still like the show, I am more interested in how the anime is going to adapt the various things to happen in the “future” . . .hell maybe they will patch over some of the “Wtf retard” worthy moments with some of the good storytelling they have been doing

11. Perrin4869 says:

While I agree on the plot of Steins;Gate being awesome (though I wouldn’t call it the best of the year), it’s another anime doomed by being conceived an anime (I know it’s based on a visual novel, I’m not a complete moron, but I am watching the anime). The characters are annoying to no end. Seriously, an underage genius physicist who’ll hang out with a bunch of losers, who happened to get caught into a time travel conspiracy? And although to some extent it got fixed during the second part of the series, what’s with everyone’s acting, couldn’t it be just a bit more realistic (Kurisu being the main culprit).
    Again, it is worth watching for the plot, but I couldn’t recommend it to any of my friends. Such a shame to see it wasted…

12. umm... says:

Although the characterization may seem hollow, that doesn’t make it a bad show. In fact, all of the characters were most likely intended to seem vapid and uninteresting until now. The beginning of the show was about Houin, who was too self absorbed to feel empathy towards others. As he learns how to live for others he is discovering an entirely new side to people, beyond the titles and roles he had assigned them in the past. This form characterization relies on an intricate plot to be effective. If it were any other show, it would have caused it to flop. Steins Gate, however, is unique and is (presently) executing it almost perfectly.

My guess is that FB is Okarin from the future… :O

13. Spike says:

You seem to dislike anime Perrin. If you want realism go watch CNN. Seriously people’s gripes with shows get more rediculous every season. Hating is the cool thing to do now apparently. This show has a bit of that same Bombasticness that other widespread appeal shows like Code Geass and Gurren Lagaan had. This show has the same popularity potential (it was already snatched up by Funimation before it even finished) so it’s your friends loss since you can’t get over yourself :\

This VN told a great story and this anime has so far been a fantastic adaptation. Moeka’s screams for her phone actually startled my dog lol xD

14. umm... says:

Yeah I was going to say that Perrin was probably being cynical for the sake of being cynical because he probably thinks that being against the “popular opinion” makes him smart, however all of his arguments are actually rehashed reviews from this very site and that his comment in reality has no real content whatsoever, but I didn’t want to seem confrontational.

Well said, Spike, though.

15. Perrin4869 says:

@Spike: You don’t seem to get what I dislike. I definitely don’t hate anime, and it’s not realism I am after.
    First of all, since when was popularity a way to measure anything? Why do you bring up shows like Code Geass? It doesn’t help you make your point.
    You know, I don’t care about teenagers in anime. I don’t. My favorite show this season is Penguin Drum, all its main cast are teenagers. But the thing is, they act like teenagers, they aren’t geniuses who can fix time machines they can’t even understand the concepts they are based on… In short, in Penguin Drum, they fit perfectly.
    The same I could say about Madoka Magica. They were teenagers, and they fit in their story perfectly. They acted like I’d expect teenagers to act (mostly), I came to care for them.
    I could give you a list of anime in which the teenagers acted like teenagers, and moved their story forward perfectly, those two come to mind immediately though.
    And now let’s take a look at Stein;Gate. We have a bunch of underage people, who get caught into a Time Travel conspiracy. Not only are they underage, Mayuri is incapable of having a conversation with anyone, apparently, maybe she’s just retarded, the fat guy… Has no purpose whatsoever, and of course, he could fix a time machine he created in the future (Does he even understand the physical concepts upon which time travel works?), Kurisu blushes at anything that Okabe tells her and acts like the annoying harem teenager stereotype, and, of course, is a genius Physicist…
    I’m not after realism. Take Lost, for example – in the end most of the mysteries didn’t make sense, but the story it told, and its characters, everything was so engaging and well told, I didn’t care. It wasn’t one bit realistic. Steins;Gate’s cast is only there to get on my nerves, and is the living embodiment of what is wrong with anime characterization. If the visual novel is the same, then the writers have a terrible problem at creating characters.

16. Perrin4869 says:

@umm: I love Penguin Drum and Usagi Drop, which most people seem to love, how does that make me being against the “cynical for the sake of being cynical because he probably thinks that being against the “popular opinion†makes him smart”?

17. Perrin4869 says:

I posted something a few minutes ago, but it seems it needs psgel’s approval, so for now, let me just state that when watching Steins;Gate, I don’t feel I’m watching human beings. I feel like I’m watching the “teenage Physicist genius”, the “crazy scientist”, the “fat otaku”, the “cute moe girl”.

18. umm... says:

I’m sorry if I seem like I’m making baseless assumptions, which I am to an extent, but your argument to why you think this is a flawed show is very lacking and I have a hard time taking it seriously.

19. TheBlimp says:

How many more D-mails are there left to undo after Moeka’s? Only ones I can remember are the lotto one and the one about Kurisu getting stabbed.

Also, couldn’t Okabe undo Moeka’s mail by sending himself a mail telling him to not let Moeka send the D-mail in the first place? Admittedly it wouldn’t make for very interesting plot but hey, its nice and easy.

20. Scruffy says:

@TheBlimp. They don’t need to undo anymore D-Mails as they now have the IBN5100 back.

21. kuuuristina says:

^Above

Okabe needs to undo the D-mails because that is the only certain way to revert back to the original timeline. If he did it any other way, it would have variations, desirable or not.

22. foamer says:

hmm i’m beginning to be suspicious of the bald guy and the little girl, can’t trust them o_O

23. Morgoth says:

@Perrin4869: Hmm, I’d argue that while the basic premise of the characterization seems implausible it was done for the sake of the entertainment value of these characters. They were developed quite good as far as it was possible with the not-so-serious premise.
    But I understand where you’re coming from, it would certainly help the tragic nature of the story if one could take the characters more seriously by making them more realistic. But the not-so-serious premise for this series is essential for this series humour, I think. With that in mind I’d say that the series never even tried to be realistic in the way you describe it and I think it’d be a bit harsh to criticize the series on terms it never even tried to meet.

24. *Disclaimer, if you are someone who is easily offended, or someone who feels that an assault on a manga/anime that you like is an assault against you, please skip this post…you have been warned.*

@Perrin You took the words right out out my mouth! Im glad someone spoke up about it. . . its a shame that most of it fell on deaf ears and instead of trying to discuss it, try to passive-aggressively bash and insult you.

Anyway, I could make a whoooole long list proving your point but really it just boils down to this: The creators just want to make you focus on the plot, the characters are pretty much just walking plot devices with little to no background/development (Chrisu is an exception)

Okabes antics is just there to distract you from that fact. It works though, especially if you watch it week to week and not marathon it, but eventually people will watch it a second time and be like “wait a minute. . .wtf”? and not in the “omg the plot is awesome whats going to happen next?” but more like who ARE these people? WHY do I care? WHY SHOULD I care? etc etc etc.

Yes the show is entertaining and fun to watch which is enough for many people-and in some cases enough to the point that people get offended when others don’t like the show and throw out veiled insults to relieve their frustration(a.k.a fanboy/girl-ism) but really other than entertaining and having a very interesting plot/setting/atmosphere by heavily relying on the “Mystery” factor and the time travel premise (which I admit I am a sucker for)
    Other than that, the characters dont really ,match up to the hype.

“I don’t feel I’m watching human beings. I feel like I’m watching the “teenage Physicist genius”, the “crazy scientist”, the “fat otaku”, the “cute moe girl”.

Pretty much, this, although the teenage physicist DID get some background on her (even though if it is only for the purpose of the plot)

. . .anyway. . .its pretty interesting about how people cant take criticism on the *shows* that they like with people saying such BS like: oh its harsh to criticize this anime for “insert BS reason here” its like. . .then why even come here? if your just going to circle jerk each other off over shows that you like, why not just go to a fansite? Why get offended and get sand in your vaginas when someone “harshly” criticizes (a.k.a points out glaring flaws) in a show that you happen to like? hell I like this show and some of the criticisms makes sense. . .Its pretty hard to discuss shows if the average maturity here is that of a 12 year old.

I think I will personally stop commenting here, I cant take the childish BS that a lot of you just throw out, I know of other places where people can have discussions without being afraid of offending someone for “bashing” or whatever, Ill still be a fan of psgels, but really Ive gotten tired of you other people, Its no better than going to a Bleach fanboy website and and when you point out something amiss everyone jumps on you. . .instead of talking about it like adults would.

さらば。

25. Spike says:

@Perrin I didn’t bring up those shows because of their teenagers or whatever. I brought them up because the story and characters have a similiar Bombastic Over-The-Topness that makes for an enjoyable series. Frankly The people watching anime for the most part, don’t want to see how a ‘normal’ person/teenager/adult would react in these situations. They build these shows using common tropes and archetypes of characters and thats why they become popular. Realistic potrayals are very niche. So my inference that you don’t like ‘anime’ is mostly true because your words SEEM to indicate you only like a small niche segment of ‘anime’. You are dogging on ‘anime’ for using the things that, well, make anime popular.

26. Morgoth says:

“. . .anyway. . .its pretty interesting about how people cant take criticism on the *shows* that they like with people saying such BS like: oh its harsh to criticize this anime for “insert BS reason here” its like. . .then why even come here? if your just going to circle jerk each other off over shows that you like, why not just go to a fansite?”
    Wait a minute… If you’re referring to my comment with this, I didn’t say that the basic premise of these characters is great and I pointed out that the series indeed would be better if it had took its characterization serious.
    My point was only that the series never even tried to go up that alley since the characters aren’t based on what behaviour one would expect from them (which of course doesn’t do the series a great service to use its full potential, I admit). They follow their own concepts instead of the plausible ones. And my opinion is that one should criticize a series for what it’s actually aiming for instead of what one thinks they should aim for.

Another strange scene nobody had mentioned yet here was the moment as Okabe holds Moeka down and keeps her silent while a neighbor-lady comes to look why Moeka is screaming and all. So she sees a stranger struggling with Moeka – and somehow comes to the conclusion that it’s “just a thing modern couples do”. And with these words she leaves again as if that’d explain everything.
    The appearance of this neighbour just made this scene even weirder, I think, for showing how nobody reacted to Moeka’s screaming and the sound of her fighting with Okabe.

27. lostsage says:

@ Carbuncle, Perrian I understand your point but how can characters be anything other than walking plot devices? That’s what a character is. The only shows where characters move without being plot driven are slice-of-life.

Take penguindrum, Himari is the obvious plot character. Mysterious deadly illness? Check. Her brothers’ actions and skills are completely driven by trying to save her (the plot). Like being able to pick locks is a skill most teenagers pick up. Regardless of what they do, saving her is the basis for basically everything. Ringo being a stalker is simply to make her stand out. She could have been a super genius with a notebook telling her things to invent things rather than being a stalker, and the plot would be unaffected. Background stories are just disguises for the characters so it isn’t completely obvious they are totally plot driven. The “believable teenagers” only come out for the slice-of-life bits like the date in the park.

Your comment could have been “I don’t buy the backgrounds of Steins;Gates’s characters and the slice-of-life scenes come off as unbelievable.” And you would have gotten a reasonable response. Instead you were confrontational “Such a shame to see it wasted… ” and got a confrontation.

And is bashing people for defending shows they like against gross exaggerations (except Mayuri is useless) and misunderstanding kinda vague criticism the right response? I guess telling people who disagree with your opinions they have “sand in your vaginas” is how “adults” handle things.

28. Perrin4869 says:

@Carbuncle MIchales Jackson elliot: Oh yeah, the time travel mystery is very well developed in the anime indeed, I’m a sucker for it too.

@Morgoth: Well, this might be just a difference in tastes, but I do believe that having good characters is pretty much vital in a thriller such as this. Failing in that point pretty much takes all the thrill from the story (at least from me)! Of course the science fiction is as enjoyable as ever though.

@Spike: Again, you are misunderstanding. I’m not after how a “normal person would react”. I just want engaging, deep characters, at least as much as possible, and this anime isn’t even trying. It does lots of things right, as psgels pointed out, you see them going to the supermarket shopping, there are lots of neat details to appreciate here, the plot is awesome, but without good characters…
    Also, you just did a terrible disservice for anime. I don’t know what you watch normally, or what your tastes are, but to say that most anime just use archetypes… That’s is just plain wrong. Most anime strive to have engaging characters, heck, all fiction strives to do that, otherwise, let’s throw all fiction and just pick up a math book or something. Even the most popular anime like Naruto try to deliver there as much as the author’s talent and experience allows him to…

29. Perrin4869 says:

@lostsage: Uhm… Yeah, I guess I did come off aggressive. Sorry. And Mayuri is not the only one useless, Daru falls into the same department too.
    But yeah, I guess most of my gripes do come from the slice-of-life moments coming off as unbelievable.

30. Morgoth says:

Well, that discussion of the characters just reminded me… When was actually the last time where one could call an character honestly smart in a Shounen-series? Most of the time the characters that are “supposedly” the smart ones are reduced to talking heads just explaining what is happening and what should be done in the future without ever deciding anything essential. Shounen-Animes seem to like it far more to see their protagonists struggle on an emotional level than on an intellectual one.

The main problem of the plot right now is indeed Okabe, I think. It all depends on what kind of character he’s going to be after everything’s done. I mean, right now he isn’t the most engaging character since his motivation is rather dull. So he wants to save Maya, why? Because she’s his friend, because he loves her? There’s nothing conceptual deep about his adventures to save her. It’s all on the surface of things with the momentum of the plot right now. Steins;Gate is a very simple story in its concept but the way it uses its time-travel-mechanics and lets the characters interact with each other is rather good, I think. Although it is a matter of taste how much one likes it. Steins;Gate is a good series but it’s certainly not one of the great ones out there, I’d say.

31. umm... says:

Just because they don’t dedicate entire episodes to backstory doesn’t mean there isn’t any character depth. You really have to pay attention to the little things in order to appreciate these characters. There are so many subtle nuances and bits of dialogue that, when pieced together paint a vivid portrait of each character. In this show, just like in real life, you have to actually pay extremely close attention to understand other people.

32. Morgoth says:

@umm…: So where is the depth specifically? The dialogue is good enough to give the characters a sound reason for what they are doing but beyond that there isn’t much to it. Okabe wants to save Mayuri because of his personal feelings for her, the series showed that but what is the meaning beyond that? What is the point of Okabe saving Mayuri? That’s where the ending is the deciding point of this series, I think, where everything comes together and says what it wants to say because until now it’s not very clear what ultimately the point of the characters actions is.

33. Spike1 says:

The point of the series is about the realities of fate and choice. Does a character REALLY need a reason to want to save their most cherished friend? I don’t see how it’s unclear what the show is trying to do…

34. alt says:

I totally agree that steins is the best show on this and last season. This episode was actually disturbing to me tho. Simply because OkaRin has reached his limit. The stress has gotten to him and he simply has no idea what to do. As a result he is totally relying on “Krisu”.

35. a says:

7/31 11:30 moeka’s dmail “IBN5100 in yanabayashi”
    7/31 12:31 okabe serch start IBN5100(titor mail”you get 5100″)episode 4

himself d-mail?
    no sence.

36. gecd says:

people will talk good about anime they like
    and talk bad about anime they hate
    its very simple

37. Okabe Rules! says:

Um, since when does one need a meaning beyond “I want to save my CHILDHOOD BEST FRIEND’S LIFE”. I hope you’re never my friend and I suddenly need your help, because without a deeper meaning behind it I’d be screwed.

Seriously. And if you can’t see all the meaning behind this show then you should take off your glasses.

1) changing the past effects the future more than you know.
    2) The drive behind the characters who attempt to right their wrongs, whether they fail and commit suicide, die a lonely death, etc or succeed.
    3) The friendship of Okabe and his “Lab assistant” and how valuable someone you can speak to about anything is.
    4) Trust, every time he jumps, his friends believe what he says afterwards. Let me tell my friends I’ve just come from the future etc…
    5) The mystery behind each character and the way they are revealed. (we now know why ms textalot never stops text messaging and why she is so shy when it comes to anything else. I for one can’t wait to see what happens because the show, for what it is, is awesome. I don’t need super deep characters to make the show warm. I dont care what happened to everyone when they were younger or what their goals and aspirations are. They are now, they are here, and this is their tale, take it for what it is and stop asking for time to be wasted on what isn’t of importance in this tale.

38. umm... says:

@Morgoth

Are you familiar with philosophy? If not, then I can understand why you aren’t seeing the things that I am seeing. This series is ripe with concepts of perception of reality and causality (causality does not equate to the poorly expanded “cause and effect”). There are evem elements of modern Chaos theory thrown in.

Notice how people use different names for Okabe even in this comments section. Some people call him Houin, some people call him Okarin, some people call him Okabe, some people call him Rintarou. Okabe bestowed titles to all those he comes across with because he believed he was the world and everyone around him was merely a projection or fragment of his existence. Their lives did not matter, as they only existed to serve him. Mayuri is the only one who was not given a title. There is meaning in this. Mayuri is “special”. Her parents are dead and she is alone. Her existence is thin because there is nobody to acknowledge it; it’s as if she would float away if not tied down or disappear. Okabe was the only one who acknowledged Mayuri because he was afraid of that happening. That is why he took her as his hostage (maybe). After Mayuri died, Okabe felt alone because the only person that he had ever felt as if he had shared an existence with was gone. The only person that he could acknowledge as a true being left him, since only one who has experienced loneliness can truly exist. As he delves into the lives of the people around him in order to stop the inevitable, he begins to understand the problems and emotions of the people he had previously on thought of as cardboard stand-ins in his life. As his perceptions of the people around him develop, so do ours.

That is why the character development was thin. The story is not about “Okabe and friends”. It is about “the world”. In other words, it’s about “Okabe/Houin/Okarin/Whatever.” I wrote too much sorry.

39. umm... says:

Also, he is using peoples’ given names more often now.

40. kll says:

who says they are underage? lol. I thought quite a few of the characters are uni students

41. FormX says:

@umm…
    The chances of ppl coming to this page again is slim, but I gotta say that was somewhat deep and impressive.

Customize
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
afgm
@AidanAK47 did you change my site status? K-off did that on purpose to help out lol
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.
Bam
@K-off: I thought of a combined post, but my OCD wouldn't allow a skip in the episodic order of the reviews.
Usually when you go camping in Yellowstone or Yosemite the tourist industry kills those places, like I'd be on a rowboat and see cars, cabins, and people from a long ways offshore. The Adirondacks are nice because their building codes mandate construction to be hidden behind trees.
@Bam My favorite camping spot is the Adirondacks in upstate NY, I went there probably 4-7 times and never get tired of the place. No, I don't have any posts for now, but for future reference consider combining episodic reviews when you get behind. I.E. Episode 6-8 Review
Bam
Also there's a reader in the comment section of Berserk 07 who wants to know if we have a notification system. I vaguely remember a widget that links the site to a FaceBook page. If anybody knows how that works, or if it's still functional, please shed some light on the matter for him/her. Thx.
Bam
@Aidan @K-off @Mario either one of y'all has any post near completion? I'm almost done with Berserk 08 and as previously mentioned, really prefer not to put two reviews up back to back. I think the length of them is already a hassle for some to get thru, let alone two right after eachother. I think it hurts the viewership, but if nothing's on hand then I'll guess I'll just finish up and post mine.
Bam
@Kaiser: I was actually camping near a mountain, but aren't all mountains somewhat holy? That could be my bias tho, since I was raised on the Alborz mountain range, and for me there is something therapeutic about the mountain air.
Yes! Looks like the shoutbox is fixed and not deleting posts after 24 hours anymore!
lol Or you could live in the shitty suburb where I do and spend your time just waiting for when your internet connection randomly cuts out twice a month or as it has the past few days two-three times a day.
Basically bam went up the Holy mountain .
@Mario: ....guy I know who loves war films and I've ended up inadvertedly/un-intentionally gotten him to buy some fucked up Polish horror film that just happens to be set in WW2. lol he's going to be pretty freaked out when he watches it.
Bam
Everything been cool here? Hehe ... looks like I conveniently missed all the hard parts.
Bam
@Mario: thx m8. I wish I could just make it down to Rio on a whim, but then again, I took a much-needed vacation, so I ain't complaining.
Welcome back Bam, I was already convinced that you went to Rio for screwing around. Lol
Bam
Also I apologize for the absence. I was gone somewhere without reliable internet access, and looking back I should've gave a notification.
Either way, I'm back now, and will be jumping on getting those Berserk reviews out as soon as possible.
Bam
Man looky here with the renovations; I like it.
@Vyse: wow. So how was the sites then back from 2005?
@Kaiser: and what is that sh!te you're talking about?
VyseLegendaire
<— fixed
VyseLegendaire
<— me
VyseLegendaire
Ive been a reader since 2005
Haha, this'll be fun lol
.....that feeling when you keep going on about a show or film but fail to give all the details...and someone goes out and buys it not knowing the full extent of the mad shit their in for...s--t lol
any reader from 2005 here....
@Mario: This guy seems interesting: https://letterboxd.com/director/tsai-ming-liang/
@Mario: Hmm, not familiar with him.
I really really loved in the mood for love, alot, it emotionally effected me. I even watched it three times.
@Mario: I couldn't seem to enjoy any of Zimou yangs films apart from Hero, which had some pretty creative fight scenes. I've seen the story of Ricky and some of John-woos films but they were more just silly entertaining exploitation films.
Don't know if you know the Vietnamese-French Tran Anh Hung. His works are stunning too. If you want to check out East-Asian cinema don't forget to check him out.
@Kaiser: Yeah, but Park Chan Wood changed the ending, so the author insisted that the Handmaiden is more "inspired" than "based". The third chapter is the weakest part for me
@Mario: Of interest, The handmaiden was based on some British book/tv show.
I need to completely re-evaluate/get into more Chinese cinema.
Doesn't look like I've seen anything by Hong-sang-so.
My favourite Korean actor is song-kang-ho.
Theres an anime convention over here in Dublin in three months. Although I haven't been to one in years.
I'm heading to anime convention today. Normally I don't really care about those conventions but I figure I'd come this year to see the taste of it. The only hassle is it's 3-hour drive, which gonna be a pain when I drive back after a long day being there.
Bong Joon-ho, on the other hand,is incredible at writing. His scripts are often layered, sharp and best of all fuses many tones/ genres into one coherent whole. The best thing about this Korean New Wave directors is they all have very distinctive voices. But my favorite director isn't the ones that you list. That would be Hong Sang Soo. I just love his simplicity style so much.
@Kaiser: Park Chan Wood is a master of visual. Whenever I come to his movies I expected to be blown-away by his visual. He can write compelling characters (he loves his characters) as well but his screenplays in general are weak. You can watch his lesser effort "I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay" and see many things that made him good/bad. That's the movie I feel he made without the care of the critic
afgm
afgm
@koff: Yeah I can help. But midterms/finals are coming up so I can't dedicate to much time.
I always felt Bong-jong and Chang-dong , kim-di-duk and Kim-jee-woon were better than Park-chan-wook. Oldboy did have that one hell of an ending, so did lady vengeance but I feel that those are the bits people tend to remember and the rest was good but not great.
For anyone that doesn't regularly browse /r/anime, Godzilla is apparently getting an anime adaption by Polygon Pictures with Urobuchi involved. Should be good.
Well, I climbed to rank 52 in Overwatch with Tracer alone. Looking forward to season 2 already, but I do wish Blizzard had somehow implemented a single-player storyline since the lore in Blizzard titles is always so vast. Kind of surprised they didn't make one with Overwatch.
@Kaiser Watch Train to Busan if you can. Me neither, I can't dig too deep into Korean films due to the language barrier. Sure would be convenient to have Vincent recommending films again.
@afgm Hey, are you still interested in helping out with the site? At this point I'm looking over the site's code & doing some rewriting - if you think you can help, let me know.
@Mario I hadn't watched Old Boy for 6 years when I got to I Saw the Devil and it was out of mind for me, so you may be right.
@K-Off: maybe it was just me but I was underwhelmed by I Saw the Devil. The point it trying to match was similar to OldBoy, and Oldboy's execution was way better (OldBoy's one of my favorite movie). Yes, the soundtracks of OldBoy, Lady Vengeance are exceptional. I still listen to The Last Waltz after all those years...
The soundtrack in a lot of these Korean films are top notch as well, Lady Vengeance and I Saw the Devil in particular.
@Mario Speaking of which, Korean psychological thrillers are hands down some of the best in the last 10-20 years. I Saw the Devil, Lady Vengeance, Old Boy, list goes on.
@Aidan: It just comes to me that we're already half way of this season... Time sure flies
@Kaiser: so please finish up Inside Mari. The last chapter had been out. I need someone to talk about that goddamn manga anw
@Kaiser: I always consider the Korean New Wave started back in 2000, and really peaked in 2003 (OldBoy, Memories of Murders, Spring Summer..., A Tale of 2 Sisters). Before 2000? The only director I can think of was Im Kwon-Taek
About nearly finished Fata Morgana but I might have to finish doom first because that thing is eating a huge chunk of my SSD drive.
Back up to date...at least for now. I have to go to a wedding so It's likely I will fall behind again. Got to admit that I haven't had much of an opinion on the latest episodes. Might be just mentally drained personally.
@K-off: I totally agree with you. 28 Days Later is a gem. Though I'm not really into zombie genre as a whole, I'm more into psychological stuffs more.
@Mario: Reminding me I need to catch up on boku mari no naka.
Although the trailer for train to busan does catch my interest.
I've gotten more than enough out of Korean films, I can enjoy them but I probably don't sing the same high praises for them as most bar some exceptions.
Seeing Lee-chang-dongs stuff I'm actually kind of interested in finding some more low key korean films.
Very likely a view shared by my indie loving friend and I, but Battery and Wyrmwood were jokey takes on the zombie genre I thought were enjoyable.
@Mario: Likely my preference for British comedy that makes me laugh more at Shaun of the dead more. Although Hot fuzz is the better Simon Pegg film in my opinion.
In terms of Korean films, I've been wondering, what are the pre-90s ones like. Lee-chang-dong started the Korean new wave in 1997.
I'm still waiting for a good horror-zombie film, nothing has met my expectations after 28 Days Later (and techinically REC), which admittedly is a high bar.
@Mario I am watching Seoul Station next week, that was just me recapping TtB after I watched it a few days ago. It's definitely more of a thriller, it has good "wtf" moments but nothing I'd call horror.
@K-Off: I thought you were going to watch Seoul Station? So I gather that Train of Busan is more thriller than horror? Just thinking of Zombieland already puts a smile on my face. That one and Shaun of the Dead are so goddamn hilarious.
@Aidan: I will review them in the future. atm I'm in watching/ reading mode so I'll push back all the world movie/ full show reviews for a while
@Mario My impression of Train to Busan was that although it wasn't anything ground breaking, it had a great cast of characters and an entertaining gimmick that managed to stay exhilarating. I haven't seen a zombie film this well structured since Zombieland, even though they're completely opposite in tone.
They are all yours if you want to do them.
Reading Inside Mary makes me want to watch Flowers of Evil again. If I remember correctly psgels never actually had a full review on this one, and Ping Pong.
@Vyse, Width wise it's exactly the same as the old chat box. Though it's possible the old one had smaller font.
VyseLegendaire
This chat box is too narrow I think, only see a couple messages.
@Anon18138, Yeah but I don't see that writer making something that truly represents the games. There may be a possibility of it being a good movie but that movie won't be Pokemon.
@AidanAK47 It'll have the writer of Gravity Falls. Though I don't have a high standard in regards to the 3D mascot and live-action style of movies.
They originally planned to male a live-action remake of Seoul Station, as the producer saw a footage of the animation and really loved it; but Yeon Sang-Ho (the director) insisted that if he was about to make a live-action film, he's go for a sequel instead. Hence Train of Busan.
@K-off: I missed my chance to watch Train to Busan but I heard nothing but rave from it. People who watched it really loved it. Damn, you make me jealous man, since I want to watch Seoul Station and review it here. Come watch it and tell me what you think; my bet is you'll enjoy it.
@Mario Have you watched Train to Busan? I'm planning to watch its animated prequel Seoul Station next week. Animation looks shabby as hell but I can always expect a good story from the koreans.
So the live action Pokemon movie will feature detective pikachu. Clearly a necessary inclusion.
I'm reading Inside Mary now and it's quite a gem despite its ridiculous premise. There's a lot of raw emotions. I love raw emotions. As expected from the same guy who wrote Flowers of Evil.
Yep, when she sends the images let me know. It may have been a while ago but I am a qualified graphic designer so even I can lend a hand to the banner design.
Ugh...a new version of wordpress is ready to be updated to. I have a bad feeling updating to the latest version could potentially break things.
Alright, I've got Friend onbaord with a commission for our new banner. She says she'll send us sketches so we can decide if it's something we want.
Considering how much trouble this plugin has given us, i am not up for adding another one. Only thing the subscriber account thing needs is me to tick and box and get rid of that password promt.
@Aidan You can set that up if you'd like, though another idea would be to set up buddypress and link it to there. But it's yet again another plugin.

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

91 Days - 06 4

91 Days – 06

I would say this is the strongest episode so far of 91 Days as it essentially revolves around what makes Mafia drama at it’s best. Betrayals, scheming and deceit are what fuels organised crime and what a scheme this was. When looking at the three family leaders I suppose it’s no surprise that Orco is […]

s8gAnPY

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]

Kiznaiver - 12 1

Kiznaiver Review – 60/100

Kiznaiver is a very different faire from Studio Triggers other works in that it takes a more serious tone and has a writer who tends to go more for the melodramatic. This is a tale about a group of very different people gathered together and have their pain linked to one another. In an effort […]