Posted by psgels on 9 August 2011 with categories: Steins;Gate

Holy crap! Talk about being completely different from the previous episodes! While those episodes were tragic and bitter-sweet, this one was just completely brutal. The writing in this was just brilliant, as things slowly became clear about what was going on with Moeka, and how any of Okabe’s attempts to change that were futile.

What’s bizarre is also the strange message that she sent. Because she sent a message to herself to buy a new phone, she received the message from a mysterious FB (who seems to be the mastermind behind everything) with the message of where the IBM 5100 was… and yet she just put it in a safe and didn’t hand it over to her subordinates. What’s going on here?

Right now this might be a bit premature to say this, but at this point Steins;Gate has pretty much the best plot of the year for me. Of course, the series hasn’t ended yet, and that FB could very well turn into a generic villain after her revelation, or a very forced alias for a main character (Visual novel readers: please don’t spoil anymore than you’ve already done), but the way the plot is weaved together, the plot twists are delivered, and how this series changes with every passing episode, there isn’t really any other plot to match up to it. Even Madoka Magica, Hyouge Mono and Tiger & Bunny are inferior to it with their storylines.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Jsl273 says:

It gets better…

2. Scruffy says:

This show has been keeping me on the edge of my seat! Absolutely awesome. Whoever FB is they’re a real bastard using people like this!

In reference to the D-mail I don’t think she sent the one about changing the phone, but instead at the last minute changed it to being about the location of the IBN5100.

3. Rex says:

Uh, she lied about the phone bit, it was her who sent the d-mail of the ibm’s location. thats how i understood it, which makes more sense.

And i guess she should just take the ibm away from okarin, she didnt need to hand it over to FB.

4. Elestia says:

Well going by the subs, Okabe said Moeka sent two messages within the D-Mail.

Also, I’m speculating why she didn’t hand over the IBN 5100 was because she was waiting for FB to contact her again before she handed it over.

5. Frost says:

Huh yeah, some people said something about a certain known character being Moekas boss… Now Im wondering if its that “FB”

Anyway, I loved Moeka here, she was so… wild
    I think it was this powerful because youre using to her barely talking and just being a complete introvert, and then she suddenly goes nuts

6. gecd says:

from now on till final episode this series will keep better
    S;G still hide its hidden cards

7. AKI says:

I agree, I spoiled myself by playing the game since I can’t get enough of it. Steins;Gate is still keeping the Kings and the Aces. FB is, well, you’ll be surprised. Best plot of the year, hands down, belongs to Steins;Gate. Hope Robotics;Notes will be this awesome, or, better.

8. jzar says:

Now I’ve gotta go back to episode one, so much I just didn’t get then. I have to admit I’m really liking the show. It has really created a great plot line.

9. CJay says:

My favorite part about this episode is how realistic it was. I feel that in other media the main character wouldn’t resort to that kind of brutality to get the phone but it was carried out here perfectly and realistically here.

10. The plot induced stupidity of the whole moeka putting the ibn in her locker thing gets surpassed by the reveal that I hope doesn’t come…

Other than that the plot is pretty good, but as you look back at the characters a bit closely, youll realize that everyone (especially Okabe) made some really STUPID(to the point of being unrealistic) “wtf retard” worthy decisions.

even so I still like the show, I am more interested in how the anime is going to adapt the various things to happen in the “future” . . .hell maybe they will patch over some of the “Wtf retard” worthy moments with some of the good storytelling they have been doing

11. Perrin4869 says:

While I agree on the plot of Steins;Gate being awesome (though I wouldn’t call it the best of the year), it’s another anime doomed by being conceived an anime (I know it’s based on a visual novel, I’m not a complete moron, but I am watching the anime). The characters are annoying to no end. Seriously, an underage genius physicist who’ll hang out with a bunch of losers, who happened to get caught into a time travel conspiracy? And although to some extent it got fixed during the second part of the series, what’s with everyone’s acting, couldn’t it be just a bit more realistic (Kurisu being the main culprit).
    Again, it is worth watching for the plot, but I couldn’t recommend it to any of my friends. Such a shame to see it wasted…

12. umm... says:

Although the characterization may seem hollow, that doesn’t make it a bad show. In fact, all of the characters were most likely intended to seem vapid and uninteresting until now. The beginning of the show was about Houin, who was too self absorbed to feel empathy towards others. As he learns how to live for others he is discovering an entirely new side to people, beyond the titles and roles he had assigned them in the past. This form characterization relies on an intricate plot to be effective. If it were any other show, it would have caused it to flop. Steins Gate, however, is unique and is (presently) executing it almost perfectly.

My guess is that FB is Okarin from the future… :O

13. Spike says:

You seem to dislike anime Perrin. If you want realism go watch CNN. Seriously people’s gripes with shows get more rediculous every season. Hating is the cool thing to do now apparently. This show has a bit of that same Bombasticness that other widespread appeal shows like Code Geass and Gurren Lagaan had. This show has the same popularity potential (it was already snatched up by Funimation before it even finished) so it’s your friends loss since you can’t get over yourself :\

This VN told a great story and this anime has so far been a fantastic adaptation. Moeka’s screams for her phone actually startled my dog lol xD

14. umm... says:

Yeah I was going to say that Perrin was probably being cynical for the sake of being cynical because he probably thinks that being against the “popular opinion” makes him smart, however all of his arguments are actually rehashed reviews from this very site and that his comment in reality has no real content whatsoever, but I didn’t want to seem confrontational.

Well said, Spike, though.

15. Perrin4869 says:

@Spike: You don’t seem to get what I dislike. I definitely don’t hate anime, and it’s not realism I am after.
    First of all, since when was popularity a way to measure anything? Why do you bring up shows like Code Geass? It doesn’t help you make your point.
    You know, I don’t care about teenagers in anime. I don’t. My favorite show this season is Penguin Drum, all its main cast are teenagers. But the thing is, they act like teenagers, they aren’t geniuses who can fix time machines they can’t even understand the concepts they are based on… In short, in Penguin Drum, they fit perfectly.
    The same I could say about Madoka Magica. They were teenagers, and they fit in their story perfectly. They acted like I’d expect teenagers to act (mostly), I came to care for them.
    I could give you a list of anime in which the teenagers acted like teenagers, and moved their story forward perfectly, those two come to mind immediately though.
    And now let’s take a look at Stein;Gate. We have a bunch of underage people, who get caught into a Time Travel conspiracy. Not only are they underage, Mayuri is incapable of having a conversation with anyone, apparently, maybe she’s just retarded, the fat guy… Has no purpose whatsoever, and of course, he could fix a time machine he created in the future (Does he even understand the physical concepts upon which time travel works?), Kurisu blushes at anything that Okabe tells her and acts like the annoying harem teenager stereotype, and, of course, is a genius Physicist…
    I’m not after realism. Take Lost, for example – in the end most of the mysteries didn’t make sense, but the story it told, and its characters, everything was so engaging and well told, I didn’t care. It wasn’t one bit realistic. Steins;Gate’s cast is only there to get on my nerves, and is the living embodiment of what is wrong with anime characterization. If the visual novel is the same, then the writers have a terrible problem at creating characters.

16. Perrin4869 says:

@umm: I love Penguin Drum and Usagi Drop, which most people seem to love, how does that make me being against the “cynical for the sake of being cynical because he probably thinks that being against the “popular opinion†makes him smart”?

17. Perrin4869 says:

I posted something a few minutes ago, but it seems it needs psgel’s approval, so for now, let me just state that when watching Steins;Gate, I don’t feel I’m watching human beings. I feel like I’m watching the “teenage Physicist genius”, the “crazy scientist”, the “fat otaku”, the “cute moe girl”.

18. umm... says:

I’m sorry if I seem like I’m making baseless assumptions, which I am to an extent, but your argument to why you think this is a flawed show is very lacking and I have a hard time taking it seriously.

19. TheBlimp says:

How many more D-mails are there left to undo after Moeka’s? Only ones I can remember are the lotto one and the one about Kurisu getting stabbed.

Also, couldn’t Okabe undo Moeka’s mail by sending himself a mail telling him to not let Moeka send the D-mail in the first place? Admittedly it wouldn’t make for very interesting plot but hey, its nice and easy.

20. Scruffy says:

@TheBlimp. They don’t need to undo anymore D-Mails as they now have the IBN5100 back.

21. kuuuristina says:

^Above

Okabe needs to undo the D-mails because that is the only certain way to revert back to the original timeline. If he did it any other way, it would have variations, desirable or not.

22. foamer says:

hmm i’m beginning to be suspicious of the bald guy and the little girl, can’t trust them o_O

23. Morgoth says:

@Perrin4869: Hmm, I’d argue that while the basic premise of the characterization seems implausible it was done for the sake of the entertainment value of these characters. They were developed quite good as far as it was possible with the not-so-serious premise.
    But I understand where you’re coming from, it would certainly help the tragic nature of the story if one could take the characters more seriously by making them more realistic. But the not-so-serious premise for this series is essential for this series humour, I think. With that in mind I’d say that the series never even tried to be realistic in the way you describe it and I think it’d be a bit harsh to criticize the series on terms it never even tried to meet.

24. *Disclaimer, if you are someone who is easily offended, or someone who feels that an assault on a manga/anime that you like is an assault against you, please skip this post…you have been warned.*

@Perrin You took the words right out out my mouth! Im glad someone spoke up about it. . . its a shame that most of it fell on deaf ears and instead of trying to discuss it, try to passive-aggressively bash and insult you.

Anyway, I could make a whoooole long list proving your point but really it just boils down to this: The creators just want to make you focus on the plot, the characters are pretty much just walking plot devices with little to no background/development (Chrisu is an exception)

Okabes antics is just there to distract you from that fact. It works though, especially if you watch it week to week and not marathon it, but eventually people will watch it a second time and be like “wait a minute. . .wtf”? and not in the “omg the plot is awesome whats going to happen next?” but more like who ARE these people? WHY do I care? WHY SHOULD I care? etc etc etc.

Yes the show is entertaining and fun to watch which is enough for many people-and in some cases enough to the point that people get offended when others don’t like the show and throw out veiled insults to relieve their frustration(a.k.a fanboy/girl-ism) but really other than entertaining and having a very interesting plot/setting/atmosphere by heavily relying on the “Mystery” factor and the time travel premise (which I admit I am a sucker for)
    Other than that, the characters dont really ,match up to the hype.

“I don’t feel I’m watching human beings. I feel like I’m watching the “teenage Physicist genius”, the “crazy scientist”, the “fat otaku”, the “cute moe girl”.

Pretty much, this, although the teenage physicist DID get some background on her (even though if it is only for the purpose of the plot)

. . .anyway. . .its pretty interesting about how people cant take criticism on the *shows* that they like with people saying such BS like: oh its harsh to criticize this anime for “insert BS reason here” its like. . .then why even come here? if your just going to circle jerk each other off over shows that you like, why not just go to a fansite? Why get offended and get sand in your vaginas when someone “harshly” criticizes (a.k.a points out glaring flaws) in a show that you happen to like? hell I like this show and some of the criticisms makes sense. . .Its pretty hard to discuss shows if the average maturity here is that of a 12 year old.

I think I will personally stop commenting here, I cant take the childish BS that a lot of you just throw out, I know of other places where people can have discussions without being afraid of offending someone for “bashing” or whatever, Ill still be a fan of psgels, but really Ive gotten tired of you other people, Its no better than going to a Bleach fanboy website and and when you point out something amiss everyone jumps on you. . .instead of talking about it like adults would.

さらば。

25. Spike says:

@Perrin I didn’t bring up those shows because of their teenagers or whatever. I brought them up because the story and characters have a similiar Bombastic Over-The-Topness that makes for an enjoyable series. Frankly The people watching anime for the most part, don’t want to see how a ‘normal’ person/teenager/adult would react in these situations. They build these shows using common tropes and archetypes of characters and thats why they become popular. Realistic potrayals are very niche. So my inference that you don’t like ‘anime’ is mostly true because your words SEEM to indicate you only like a small niche segment of ‘anime’. You are dogging on ‘anime’ for using the things that, well, make anime popular.

26. Morgoth says:

“. . .anyway. . .its pretty interesting about how people cant take criticism on the *shows* that they like with people saying such BS like: oh its harsh to criticize this anime for “insert BS reason here” its like. . .then why even come here? if your just going to circle jerk each other off over shows that you like, why not just go to a fansite?”
    Wait a minute… If you’re referring to my comment with this, I didn’t say that the basic premise of these characters is great and I pointed out that the series indeed would be better if it had took its characterization serious.
    My point was only that the series never even tried to go up that alley since the characters aren’t based on what behaviour one would expect from them (which of course doesn’t do the series a great service to use its full potential, I admit). They follow their own concepts instead of the plausible ones. And my opinion is that one should criticize a series for what it’s actually aiming for instead of what one thinks they should aim for.

Another strange scene nobody had mentioned yet here was the moment as Okabe holds Moeka down and keeps her silent while a neighbor-lady comes to look why Moeka is screaming and all. So she sees a stranger struggling with Moeka – and somehow comes to the conclusion that it’s “just a thing modern couples do”. And with these words she leaves again as if that’d explain everything.
    The appearance of this neighbour just made this scene even weirder, I think, for showing how nobody reacted to Moeka’s screaming and the sound of her fighting with Okabe.

27. lostsage says:

@ Carbuncle, Perrian I understand your point but how can characters be anything other than walking plot devices? That’s what a character is. The only shows where characters move without being plot driven are slice-of-life.

Take penguindrum, Himari is the obvious plot character. Mysterious deadly illness? Check. Her brothers’ actions and skills are completely driven by trying to save her (the plot). Like being able to pick locks is a skill most teenagers pick up. Regardless of what they do, saving her is the basis for basically everything. Ringo being a stalker is simply to make her stand out. She could have been a super genius with a notebook telling her things to invent things rather than being a stalker, and the plot would be unaffected. Background stories are just disguises for the characters so it isn’t completely obvious they are totally plot driven. The “believable teenagers” only come out for the slice-of-life bits like the date in the park.

Your comment could have been “I don’t buy the backgrounds of Steins;Gates’s characters and the slice-of-life scenes come off as unbelievable.” And you would have gotten a reasonable response. Instead you were confrontational “Such a shame to see it wasted… ” and got a confrontation.

And is bashing people for defending shows they like against gross exaggerations (except Mayuri is useless) and misunderstanding kinda vague criticism the right response? I guess telling people who disagree with your opinions they have “sand in your vaginas” is how “adults” handle things.

28. Perrin4869 says:

@Carbuncle MIchales Jackson elliot: Oh yeah, the time travel mystery is very well developed in the anime indeed, I’m a sucker for it too.

@Morgoth: Well, this might be just a difference in tastes, but I do believe that having good characters is pretty much vital in a thriller such as this. Failing in that point pretty much takes all the thrill from the story (at least from me)! Of course the science fiction is as enjoyable as ever though.

@Spike: Again, you are misunderstanding. I’m not after how a “normal person would react”. I just want engaging, deep characters, at least as much as possible, and this anime isn’t even trying. It does lots of things right, as psgels pointed out, you see them going to the supermarket shopping, there are lots of neat details to appreciate here, the plot is awesome, but without good characters…
    Also, you just did a terrible disservice for anime. I don’t know what you watch normally, or what your tastes are, but to say that most anime just use archetypes… That’s is just plain wrong. Most anime strive to have engaging characters, heck, all fiction strives to do that, otherwise, let’s throw all fiction and just pick up a math book or something. Even the most popular anime like Naruto try to deliver there as much as the author’s talent and experience allows him to…

29. Perrin4869 says:

@lostsage: Uhm… Yeah, I guess I did come off aggressive. Sorry. And Mayuri is not the only one useless, Daru falls into the same department too.
    But yeah, I guess most of my gripes do come from the slice-of-life moments coming off as unbelievable.

30. Morgoth says:

Well, that discussion of the characters just reminded me… When was actually the last time where one could call an character honestly smart in a Shounen-series? Most of the time the characters that are “supposedly” the smart ones are reduced to talking heads just explaining what is happening and what should be done in the future without ever deciding anything essential. Shounen-Animes seem to like it far more to see their protagonists struggle on an emotional level than on an intellectual one.

The main problem of the plot right now is indeed Okabe, I think. It all depends on what kind of character he’s going to be after everything’s done. I mean, right now he isn’t the most engaging character since his motivation is rather dull. So he wants to save Maya, why? Because she’s his friend, because he loves her? There’s nothing conceptual deep about his adventures to save her. It’s all on the surface of things with the momentum of the plot right now. Steins;Gate is a very simple story in its concept but the way it uses its time-travel-mechanics and lets the characters interact with each other is rather good, I think. Although it is a matter of taste how much one likes it. Steins;Gate is a good series but it’s certainly not one of the great ones out there, I’d say.

31. umm... says:

Just because they don’t dedicate entire episodes to backstory doesn’t mean there isn’t any character depth. You really have to pay attention to the little things in order to appreciate these characters. There are so many subtle nuances and bits of dialogue that, when pieced together paint a vivid portrait of each character. In this show, just like in real life, you have to actually pay extremely close attention to understand other people.

32. Morgoth says:

@umm…: So where is the depth specifically? The dialogue is good enough to give the characters a sound reason for what they are doing but beyond that there isn’t much to it. Okabe wants to save Mayuri because of his personal feelings for her, the series showed that but what is the meaning beyond that? What is the point of Okabe saving Mayuri? That’s where the ending is the deciding point of this series, I think, where everything comes together and says what it wants to say because until now it’s not very clear what ultimately the point of the characters actions is.

33. Spike1 says:

The point of the series is about the realities of fate and choice. Does a character REALLY need a reason to want to save their most cherished friend? I don’t see how it’s unclear what the show is trying to do…

34. alt says:

I totally agree that steins is the best show on this and last season. This episode was actually disturbing to me tho. Simply because OkaRin has reached his limit. The stress has gotten to him and he simply has no idea what to do. As a result he is totally relying on “Krisu”.

35. a says:

7/31 11:30 moeka’s dmail “IBN5100 in yanabayashi”
    7/31 12:31 okabe serch start IBN5100(titor mail”you get 5100″)episode 4

himself d-mail?
    no sence.

36. gecd says:

people will talk good about anime they like
    and talk bad about anime they hate
    its very simple

37. Okabe Rules! says:

Um, since when does one need a meaning beyond “I want to save my CHILDHOOD BEST FRIEND’S LIFE”. I hope you’re never my friend and I suddenly need your help, because without a deeper meaning behind it I’d be screwed.

Seriously. And if you can’t see all the meaning behind this show then you should take off your glasses.

1) changing the past effects the future more than you know.
    2) The drive behind the characters who attempt to right their wrongs, whether they fail and commit suicide, die a lonely death, etc or succeed.
    3) The friendship of Okabe and his “Lab assistant” and how valuable someone you can speak to about anything is.
    4) Trust, every time he jumps, his friends believe what he says afterwards. Let me tell my friends I’ve just come from the future etc…
    5) The mystery behind each character and the way they are revealed. (we now know why ms textalot never stops text messaging and why she is so shy when it comes to anything else. I for one can’t wait to see what happens because the show, for what it is, is awesome. I don’t need super deep characters to make the show warm. I dont care what happened to everyone when they were younger or what their goals and aspirations are. They are now, they are here, and this is their tale, take it for what it is and stop asking for time to be wasted on what isn’t of importance in this tale.

38. umm... says:

@Morgoth

Are you familiar with philosophy? If not, then I can understand why you aren’t seeing the things that I am seeing. This series is ripe with concepts of perception of reality and causality (causality does not equate to the poorly expanded “cause and effect”). There are evem elements of modern Chaos theory thrown in.

Notice how people use different names for Okabe even in this comments section. Some people call him Houin, some people call him Okarin, some people call him Okabe, some people call him Rintarou. Okabe bestowed titles to all those he comes across with because he believed he was the world and everyone around him was merely a projection or fragment of his existence. Their lives did not matter, as they only existed to serve him. Mayuri is the only one who was not given a title. There is meaning in this. Mayuri is “special”. Her parents are dead and she is alone. Her existence is thin because there is nobody to acknowledge it; it’s as if she would float away if not tied down or disappear. Okabe was the only one who acknowledged Mayuri because he was afraid of that happening. That is why he took her as his hostage (maybe). After Mayuri died, Okabe felt alone because the only person that he had ever felt as if he had shared an existence with was gone. The only person that he could acknowledge as a true being left him, since only one who has experienced loneliness can truly exist. As he delves into the lives of the people around him in order to stop the inevitable, he begins to understand the problems and emotions of the people he had previously on thought of as cardboard stand-ins in his life. As his perceptions of the people around him develop, so do ours.

That is why the character development was thin. The story is not about “Okabe and friends”. It is about “the world”. In other words, it’s about “Okabe/Houin/Okarin/Whatever.” I wrote too much sorry.

39. umm... says:

Also, he is using peoples’ given names more often now.

40. kll says:

who says they are underage? lol. I thought quite a few of the characters are uni students

41. FormX says:

@umm…
    The chances of ppl coming to this page again is slim, but I gotta say that was somewhat deep and impressive.

My favorites are Breaking the Waves (although I do need to rewatch it), and Melancholia (mostly because there's a hint of hope at the end). Dancer in the Dark is so stupid I freaking hate it. Dogville, AntiChrist are depressing and Shia Labeouf and the ending kill Nympho for me
@Kaiser: can't wait to see the House that Jack Built, although no release date here yet. Lars Von Trier is like depressing drugs. His stuffs are goddamn depressing
@Kaiser: she was like "omg MARIO, you're serious crying while watching a TV show?" well, she invaded my privacy and still had the guts to say that huh?
@Mario: Matt Dillon is great in it.
@Mario: Also, I saw the new Von Trier film, the horror one House that Jack built, its an acid black farce comedy that never takes away from the darker elements of it or the violence, even if it isn't as violent as people are saying. I loved it, even if it went off on tangents sometimes. My favourites by him are this, boss of it all, dancer in the dark and especially antichrist.
*their
@Mario: What was there reaction out of curiousity?
*Catch me right at the act
And visually it is immersive.
Made in abyss does depend currently on what its second season will deliver and it does start out in a way that you kind of need to make it passed the first few episodes to really get into it. But it flows better than the manga and THAT scene in the middle and Nanachi's backstory elevate the series to a higher level.
BabyMario as in like super Mario world 2 =O
=O BabyMario
True (shameful) story: when I watched the finale of Made in Abyss, my housemate opened the door to ask me sth and she saw me sobbing like a baby
Made in Abyss was really damn good
Sash
I just recently watched Made in Abyss.... and i cried real hard. I was worried that this story was going down the loli route at first... but how this show frightened me... and how it pulled at my heartstrings at the end.
Also being immortal would meant that I finally had enough time to finish all the games and series I am interested in.
@Kaiser: the hate against immortality is overrated, I would totally be okay with observing history for centuries.
@Kaiser: yeah, it’s supposed to be the final one that closes the whole franchise
Theres going to be another euphonium movie next year.
I say sit back and just let it wash over you if you get on board with its slow rhythm.
The soundtrack is pretty understated aswell.
Also quite naturalistic in how it uses/animates movements/body language.
I do wish that it went further than baiting the audience though.
*is in
I watched liz and the bluebird, the storybook segements give the film a certain magical feel to it, even if they feel obvious and on the nose, what this film achieves if in its silent, quiet and visual exposition rather than spoken words, its also more sensitive and low key than Euphonium.
Gah, one of the gutting things about being into historical stuff or stuff about things that happened decades ago, is that I'll never be a direct witness to it as it happened. It'll never hit me as someone who lived through it. I having all the fun second hand.
Thanks, Amagi. They look pretty cool
Why would I waste my time watching other people shopping or working. Not to mention that the scripted part turns everything worse than it usually is by shoving in terrible cringy moments everywhere to.. don't know. Entertain(?) the audience or something.
I mean unless you want info dumps you watch fiction and you watch that because it makes you indirectly experience adventures you can't have in real life. Even when fiction is down to earth it's usually about special situations like the MC becoming a professional runner like in Kaze ga or something.
@Kaiser: Me neither, especially because it seems to be the exact opposite of the reason why people consume media, and therefore fiction, in the first place.
They probably used these in Irozuko because they look like're part of some J-RPG town.
@Amagi: I never really understood why reality television ever became a thing or how someone could give it any form of attention.
Seems like they even have a wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trullo
@SuperMario: It's some specific type of house that only exist in Apulia. https://cdn.getyourguide.com/img/tour_img-437617-146.jpg - the whole historic disctrict looks like that
I shouldn't use so many brackets.
Trulli? What does that mean?
We have all kinds of international film festivals here. I watched Roma in the Latin Film Festival. Yeah that aspect I mus say that I feel lucky
There are Trulli in one scene of this week's Irozuko (after they entered that painting), how funny. I just visited this city (Alberobello) last month.
@Mario: You are lucky, Roma gets a one day limited release here for one time.
@Aidan: Just imagine going to the west of Ireland and asking them about the internet.
Yes there are people turning up to the one art cinema we actually have. But Ireland is not a good place to be in general if you are a film/anime/gaming fan.
lol this country is incapable of giving a proper wide/long cinema release to anything that might even be considered slight non-mainstream.
*week-long
Well, we have a week-log screening here and I already lament how undeserving these films have. Guess I should be more appreciate now I know that other countries have 1-day screening only
I wonder if anyone started out in the light novel industry as a stepping stone before moving on to real book writing. I also wonder how easy it is to get published.
Progressive is good from what I heard since he went back to his older material from a more mature outlook. Ordinal Scale is decent too coming from the same matured Kawahara.
Sometimes there are re-showings, some cinemas will play Akira for the billionth time for example.
I imagine seeing scenes like that being recorded in the recording booth would look quite strange.
Apparently, he even apologized to the voice actress for being subjected to voice a rape scene, so I guess even he has deep regrets about it. The LN doesn't have any more moments like this so I guess he matured a lot.
@Anon: The problem is that he was still a teen when he wrote Alicization, he just edited it a bit later. But I also wish he would have cut this scene, it's always so forced and feels so stupid.
Pancreas has no subs yet AFAIK
Ugh, ep10 of Alicinization reminded me why I disliked SAO so much years ago. I assume Kawahara still had some nasty tendencies in him when writing Alicinization despite being past his edgy teenage phase.
@Kaiser: It's the same here too. One day screenings and that's it. I also believe that anime are made for everyone it's just that the West (save for France and Italy maybe) doesn't give anime a chance. They are sure people would never care so they rather die or air the same awful scripted reality show for the 5th time rather than try showing anime that could appeal to adults like Monster.
The anon might want to watch that though, a torrent of it recently got uploaded.
Also Let me eat your pancreas wasn't shown here. But it was shown in Australia.
Although there are some films that America gets that we don't, the Heavens feel, the Madoka movies and Nanoha reflection showed in America but not here.
@SuperMario: That would be great.
Anime films seem to appeal to normies aswell.
I saw an older woman in my screening of Maquia and talked to her after it and she liked it.
Again, I don't know about elsewhere, but what surprised me was the amount of people who are seeing these in the audience who don't actually come off as anime fans and probably aren't.
But I'm genuinely surprised that my country would actually even go that far to even show them.
I don't know about all the other countries that get showings for these anime films, but here its a one day only thing each time one comes out.
Reviewig anime movies/ making posts about them might be something I can do in the future
@amagi: anime movies are somethingn I wanna raise more awareness as well. Normally each year there are 4,5 solid anime films out there, but like you said they’re hardly discussed
I've never heard of UFO no natsu.
I felt bad for the little girl in grave of the fireflies, the boy was already caught up though in "muhfascistempire is goat tier" for me to care about him as much as her.
The Air movie was more focused, better paced and visually directed with more panache than the show.
@Amagi: I have gone to almost every anime screening since the early 2000s and continue to.
And many have barely any sort of advertising so I only notice them coincidentally by seeing a thread on /a/ or because I see some screenshot somewhere.
Speaking of it there are so many great anime movies every year but nobody ever talks about them because the fans are split between those who see the screenings (that happen randomly depending on the country) and those who watch it a year later on their PC.
I also found Hotori sad but it's ages old and I never met anyone who cared about it besides myself. Also, Hanbun no Tsuki and UFO no natsu although these were 6 part ova. Colourful probably too and the Key movies. I actually like all these movies like Air or Clannad but I didn't like the series that much.
I think ultimately its the patience some of these sad films are made with that allows then to eventually land their effect.
SuperWooper
It takes a while to get to that point, though.
SuperWooper
"The Wind Rises" is pretty damn sad.
Well, Grave of Fireflies hands down. or Your Lie in April if you don't mind TV show
Then basically everything from Shinkai for example.
@Anon: You may need to let us now what type of drama you're into, are you okay with highly melodramatic stories?
if so anybody have any good sad anime movies?
anybody here?
The more we approach xmas time the more it rains in my city. Like every year.
Didn't know that guess I try this someday I love this setting.
The most recent thing I've watched dealing with a created/artificial/virtual world was an old German mini series called World on a wire by Rainer Fassbinder.
Wonder about the consequences these last scenes in Gridman will have.
@Mario: I finally got around to Aki Kaurasamaki's films, watched I hired a contract killer, I like dry, sad bastard black humour like that and even when it wasn't being amusing I enjoyed the whole quirky tone throughout it.
I decided to watch season 2 of sound euphonium before getting to liz and the bluebird. I would like to see more of this. I guess I liked Asuka's arc.
I think bloom into you has stood out in how its dealt with Nanami's insecurities and backstory, found myself liking that one side character Sayaka more. There will be an arc where they do some kind of play which compliments/links in well with nanami's character.
Animosh
But yeah, I agree the series has great character writing. In hindsight, it's kind of a shame you picked Irozuku over Bloom into You. It had a great premiere and some stunning scenes, but the characters are so incredibly droll that there's just not much to write about. They're both slow burns, but Bloom into You gives you much more to think about.
Animosh
So I think the crossing the line thing is ambiguous between your interpretation and Yuu's subconscious fear that if she initiates things, displays her affection towards Nanami (and a passionate kiss that Yuu initiates certainly seems to qualify), then that will be the end of things. Actually, it's probably a bit of both.
Animosh
@SuperMario: I think Yuu is also aware that Nanami does not want Yuu to fall in love with her (I mean, it's hard not to after that death stare). And as a result she can never initiate things, because showing affection would undermine the whole reason Nanami fell in love with her. And Yuu obviously does not want this relationship to end.
Did uh that really happen in BF? Probably not, but dang if that really was the case then stuff got real
@Animosh: the thing is Yuu takes the special attraction from Nanami for granted, and her mode is that she “doesn’t hate” it. She doesn’t hate it when she spends time alone with Nanami, she doesn’t hate it when they kiss. So for Yuu, when Nanami askes her to actively do it, it’a the first time Yuu feels like she’s crossing the line. Some really great character writing there
It boils down to a female-targeted version of those moe shows that I don't care about all that much. Just replace the cute girls with hot boys.
Compared to Katsugeki, where it tried to sell the series as something more than just a mobile adaptation and tried to court non-fans, here I got exactly what I expected; something safe and predictable, and catering exclusively to fans. So I got nothing out of it.
Is there some sort of moe equivalent for male characters? Because this show probably counts as one. otoh, my feelings towards it are like most CGDCT anime: indifference.
I think the oddest thing I did regarding anime this year was how I sat through both season of Touken Ranbu Hanamaru (including the one that aired earlier this winter), and didn't claw my eyes out when it's basically an unfortunate mix of a mobile game adaptation and a CBDCT show mixed in with some action segments to show that it's not just a pure estrogen-fest.
Animosh
I should also note that I don't relate to her in every way. I understand her difficulties with falling in love, but for me the problem is more that my view on love is too negative, and as a result I'm hesitant about taking the "leap of faith" that any relationship requires. Love is messy, and may well get you hurt, so it's easier to observe things from a distance, like Maki for example.
Animosh
Oh Yuu is definitely frustrating to watch. Her idealized conception of love prevents her from seeing what is obvious to everyone watching: that she's slowly developing feelings for Touko. And when those feelings evidently turn into love, instead of seeing them for what they are, she's in denial and insists that her feelings aren't special enough to be called "love". It's frustrating.
Then again, I can't really say why Bloom into You works for me now, but kept me in a distance in their first few episodes. It's slow-burn, and when you think back to it, not a lot has been happening. But I feel they haven't made any wrong step yet
Can't say I relate to Yuu thou. She's the kind of character that in real life I would find really frustrated, and I know many of my friends behave that way. That just to further demonstrates how real these characters can be. Even the side characters, Sayaka and the lesbian adult couple work well for me.
@Aminosh: it took awhile for me to fully embrace Bloom into You (I say about episode 5,6) but I agree it's getting very solid now. it reminds me of Scums Wish as well, mainly because how twisted romance can be
Animosh
I'm also worried it won't end in a satisfying way, since the manga is still ongoing. But otherwise I quite like it. It has its problems, but if you go into it with the right expectations (slow pacing, complex and flawed characters that make for an unusual love story, with more focus on the characters' psychological issues than their sexuality) there's a lot to enjoy.
Animosh
My only major complaint is that its characters can feel rather artificial sometimes. Touko in particular is a victim of this. She's such a weird bundle of complexes that she can be hard to relate to. Maybe it'll be better explained later on, but the whole idea of falling in love with another person because you think she'll be incapable of reciprocating it ... it's weird.
Animosh
I particularly like Yuu. I can empathize with her difficulties with falling in love, and I like her arc of slowly "blooming into" liking another person. It feels natural and earned. And like in SSSS.Gridman, the direction is surprisingly strong, and as a result it mostly nails its key moments (the river confrontation, the shed starting shot, etc).
Animosh
I finally caught up with Bloom into You, and it really surpassed my expectations. It kind of reminds me of Scum's Wish, with how flawed its characters are, and how selfish and unreasonable they can be. But like in Scum's Wish, instead of condemning the characters for their flaws, we're given the background to understand them, and they're not used for forced melodrama but sympathetically explored.
@Amagi: Are the Tezuka Buddha movies really that bad? I'll probably try the manga soon.
Also, it'd be cool if we could get long ova adaptations again.
I'd be happy to get more anime set outside of Japan. I also wouldn't mind seeing some anime based off western material.
Gotta say, I wasnt expecting that from Banana Fish this week. I hope its not a fake out, because if it isnt this ending could be great. I love sad endings
Bunny-girl made me watch a horrible idol segment. Then I forgave it because the end of the episode was well executed melodrama.
Sash
Sash
Animosh
But regardless of how things turn out, it was definitely a powerful moment, and I'm really happy things are finally heating up again. Looks like the demon/leopard/whatever will be unleashed next episode.
Animosh
Welp, I guess something really did happen this week in Banana Fish. I kind of expect it to be a fake-out though. Chii mentioned there will be an epilogue, and it'd be strange to do so without our main couple intact. We haven't really gotten a confirmation of how Ash and Eiji see their relationship either. So I don't think the ship (or rather, one of its passengers) has sunk just yet.
Well, one of them is essentially the first two episodes of the show as one long episode. So i would say that makes sense.
After all, I don't think they know anything about the series until I show them these. They already know that I bought the novels though.
Meanwhile, I'm planning on showing my family, the two LoGH films, My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War during our Christmas vacation. Is this a good jumping on point?
Come on torrent, 90% done, then you decide to slow down. This is conspiracy I say.
Same here
Thanks, will download it when I get home.
@Mario: Early sub for 720p version of liz and bluebird is on nyaatorrents, they say they are doing a 1080p version tomorrow.
It’s Christmas season soon so I hope I can watch some older gems during that period
I, on the other hand, decide to get off my movie marathon for now to spend time WATCHING MORE ANIME.
I've had that issue on other blogs, getting the moderation awaiting message, I got it here in the past too.
Woah, I will read that story soon when I have free time. Thanks
Lemme fix this, Amagi
I have given up on a bunch of anime now I rather enjoy the few I really like to the fullest and use the rest of my free time to play games and read VNs.
"Your comment is awaiting moderation" guess I posted too many links, he. Well thinking about it I could have just posted this in the shoutbox, it's no spoiler or anything.
I quite liked it. I like that it wasnt a one off thing either, but it showed them working at it. I enjoy how when Kurahara chooses to do something, he commits 100% to it. Its fitting for his character
A lesser series would have drawn out the drama with Haiji. The scenes with kakeru reading manga with Prince also further support what the anon was saying about him warming up to Prince.
I cant wait to watch it.
And yeah, the cliffhanger from last wasn't a big deal since Haiji fainted from overworking himself and needs to rest.
That part where he chose to slow down in order to cheer on Prince and Ouji was a great scene in particular. He's starting to care about others now.
Man, Prince has come a long way from his slow, awkward running at the start. And it looks like Kakeru is improving in terms of building his relationships with his teammates.
awesome! Under the Silver Lake is out as well in case you want to watch it, Kaiser
Yo AwesomeMario , the bluray for Liz and the bluebird (the sound euphonium spinoff thing) is out, will probably be subtitled someday soon.
Compartively dogs DESPISE me.
Y'know...yeah, old kids stuff was kinda messed up and animal deaths were a big thing, Mufasa, bambi's mother aswell.
Cats are weird
We have two cats for two certain metro stations in my city. They belong to people living nearby but love the station so damn much you almost always see them sitting on the benches made for humans waiting for the subway/train. Two days ago I returned in the middle of the night and that one cat was still sitting there enjoying life. The other cat belongs to the station in front of my house.
Depressingly we also have that Lion king remake too.
Though I think plague dogs film adaptation stopped just before the full ending of the book?
Lol there are actually people out there who believe that only straight men have aspergers syndrome.
I can't actually leave a cat alone when I see it, actually snuck up on one to pick it up. Couldn't help myself.
Oh, heh, hey didn't know it shared the same author, makes alot of sense though.
Yeah Plague Dogs is by the same author that did Watership. It was great. It's interesting to see how quickly series can become edgy and therefore bad on the one hand and how many grim dark movies or series exist that are damn good on the other hand. A wrong turn and your serious drama or thriller can turn into trash.
Funny because I was also always a rabbit owner and now have a shitty cat (and yes I am actually autistic though although I guess I write pretty normal nowadays)
Oh Jesus...there was another old one wasn't there, the one about the dogs? Plague dogs, another example of a famliy/kids animation that pulled no punches.
I enjoy alternate history/dystopia stuff, There was It happened here, a British film about a what if situation where Hitler won.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 11 [The Dignity of Evil]

This week we see something that rarely happens: Gui Niao is in a fault mood. As it turns out, this little war between Enigmatic Gale and Dirty Cop is more about the Vape Wiz’s ego rather than the Glassed Boy. The usually collected-Gui Niao shows off a whole range of emotions this episode: from being […]

Banana Fish – 22 [As I Lay Dying]

Welcome to what is, to me, a very contentious episode of Banana Fish. This time Blanca gets sentimental, Ash learns Japanese, and Eiji sets Ash on a Warpath through no fault of his own. Let’s dive in! Overall, this was a good episode. It flipped everything on its head and, assuming Banana Fish doesn’t backpedal […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 10 [Monochromatic Crayon]

Irozuku, as meandering as it always is, has some stunning sequences this episode. It furthers proves the fact that 1) the magical sequence is where Irozuku really takes off and 2) its strength always come from its visual department, not in the storytelling. Take the sequence where Aoi steps into Hitomi’s dream, for example. He […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 10 [Collapse]

After a crucial episode last week where GRIDMAN reached its highest bar to date, it’s understandable that everything that follows it would be a letdown. Nothing in this new episode can beat the moment Akane jumped off the crane last week in terms of sketching her depression. This episode is where the entire cast goes […]

Planetes – 15 & 16 [In Her Case…/Ignition] – Throwback Thursday

Hello and welcome to perhaps the most intense week of Planetes yet. This time our Temp Worker gets some history and Hachimaki develops space PTSD. Let’s dive in! Off the bat, I want to apologize again for this being late. Work and doing 4 shows at once has slowed me down a bit. That said, […]

Goblin Slayer – 09[There and Back Again]

We reach the end of the water town arc and Goblin Slayer killed some goblins. I am not sure what else I expected. I must say that animation wise for a series heavily focused on action, the action itself is rather static. Sadly some of the more impactful panels of the manga were cut from […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteru – 10 [Our Speed]

Welcome one and all, to the most wholesome episode of Kaze Fui yet. This week Prince and Kurahara finally connect, Hana cooks dinner and a track meet comes to a curious end. Lets jump in! Kaze Fui continues strong this week, not content to sit back and simply milk Haiji’s condition. No, instead of spending […]

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San – 9 [A Book about Life, Death, and Rebirth]

Hello and welcome to perhaps the best week of Honda-San yet. This time we get one long skit, clever writing and well mixed in education. All in a 10 minute package! Lets jump in. To me, this was the best episode of Honda-San since the first. The gags were clever and the single topic allowed […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 10 [Demonic Swords/Holy Swords]

This week, Thunderbolt takes a left turn to resolve side conflicts, or even new minor conflicts it thought of, mostly to boost up the status of our main cast. It’s still enjoyable, in an admittedly predictable way. We have a guy literally flirting with his sword, a yaoi love where a guy willing to put […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]