Posted by psgels on 9 August 2011 with categories: Steins;Gate

Holy crap! Talk about being completely different from the previous episodes! While those episodes were tragic and bitter-sweet, this one was just completely brutal. The writing in this was just brilliant, as things slowly became clear about what was going on with Moeka, and how any of Okabe’s attempts to change that were futile.

What’s bizarre is also the strange message that she sent. Because she sent a message to herself to buy a new phone, she received the message from a mysterious FB (who seems to be the mastermind behind everything) with the message of where the IBM 5100 was… and yet she just put it in a safe and didn’t hand it over to her subordinates. What’s going on here?

Right now this might be a bit premature to say this, but at this point Steins;Gate has pretty much the best plot of the year for me. Of course, the series hasn’t ended yet, and that FB could very well turn into a generic villain after her revelation, or a very forced alias for a main character (Visual novel readers: please don’t spoil anymore than you’ve already done), but the way the plot is weaved together, the plot twists are delivered, and how this series changes with every passing episode, there isn’t really any other plot to match up to it. Even Madoka Magica, Hyouge Mono and Tiger & Bunny are inferior to it with their storylines.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Jsl273 says:

It gets better…

2. Scruffy says:

This show has been keeping me on the edge of my seat! Absolutely awesome. Whoever FB is they’re a real bastard using people like this!

In reference to the D-mail I don’t think she sent the one about changing the phone, but instead at the last minute changed it to being about the location of the IBN5100.

3. Rex says:

Uh, she lied about the phone bit, it was her who sent the d-mail of the ibm’s location. thats how i understood it, which makes more sense.

And i guess she should just take the ibm away from okarin, she didnt need to hand it over to FB.

4. Elestia says:

Well going by the subs, Okabe said Moeka sent two messages within the D-Mail.

Also, I’m speculating why she didn’t hand over the IBN 5100 was because she was waiting for FB to contact her again before she handed it over.

5. Frost says:

Huh yeah, some people said something about a certain known character being Moekas boss… Now Im wondering if its that “FB”

Anyway, I loved Moeka here, she was so… wild
    I think it was this powerful because youre using to her barely talking and just being a complete introvert, and then she suddenly goes nuts

6. gecd says:

from now on till final episode this series will keep better
    S;G still hide its hidden cards

7. AKI says:

I agree, I spoiled myself by playing the game since I can’t get enough of it. Steins;Gate is still keeping the Kings and the Aces. FB is, well, you’ll be surprised. Best plot of the year, hands down, belongs to Steins;Gate. Hope Robotics;Notes will be this awesome, or, better.

8. jzar says:

Now I’ve gotta go back to episode one, so much I just didn’t get then. I have to admit I’m really liking the show. It has really created a great plot line.

9. CJay says:

My favorite part about this episode is how realistic it was. I feel that in other media the main character wouldn’t resort to that kind of brutality to get the phone but it was carried out here perfectly and realistically here.

10. The plot induced stupidity of the whole moeka putting the ibn in her locker thing gets surpassed by the reveal that I hope doesn’t come…

Other than that the plot is pretty good, but as you look back at the characters a bit closely, youll realize that everyone (especially Okabe) made some really STUPID(to the point of being unrealistic) “wtf retard” worthy decisions.

even so I still like the show, I am more interested in how the anime is going to adapt the various things to happen in the “future” . . .hell maybe they will patch over some of the “Wtf retard” worthy moments with some of the good storytelling they have been doing

11. Perrin4869 says:

While I agree on the plot of Steins;Gate being awesome (though I wouldn’t call it the best of the year), it’s another anime doomed by being conceived an anime (I know it’s based on a visual novel, I’m not a complete moron, but I am watching the anime). The characters are annoying to no end. Seriously, an underage genius physicist who’ll hang out with a bunch of losers, who happened to get caught into a time travel conspiracy? And although to some extent it got fixed during the second part of the series, what’s with everyone’s acting, couldn’t it be just a bit more realistic (Kurisu being the main culprit).
    Again, it is worth watching for the plot, but I couldn’t recommend it to any of my friends. Such a shame to see it wasted…

12. umm... says:

Although the characterization may seem hollow, that doesn’t make it a bad show. In fact, all of the characters were most likely intended to seem vapid and uninteresting until now. The beginning of the show was about Houin, who was too self absorbed to feel empathy towards others. As he learns how to live for others he is discovering an entirely new side to people, beyond the titles and roles he had assigned them in the past. This form characterization relies on an intricate plot to be effective. If it were any other show, it would have caused it to flop. Steins Gate, however, is unique and is (presently) executing it almost perfectly.

My guess is that FB is Okarin from the future… :O

13. Spike says:

You seem to dislike anime Perrin. If you want realism go watch CNN. Seriously people’s gripes with shows get more rediculous every season. Hating is the cool thing to do now apparently. This show has a bit of that same Bombasticness that other widespread appeal shows like Code Geass and Gurren Lagaan had. This show has the same popularity potential (it was already snatched up by Funimation before it even finished) so it’s your friends loss since you can’t get over yourself :\

This VN told a great story and this anime has so far been a fantastic adaptation. Moeka’s screams for her phone actually startled my dog lol xD

14. umm... says:

Yeah I was going to say that Perrin was probably being cynical for the sake of being cynical because he probably thinks that being against the “popular opinion” makes him smart, however all of his arguments are actually rehashed reviews from this very site and that his comment in reality has no real content whatsoever, but I didn’t want to seem confrontational.

Well said, Spike, though.

15. Perrin4869 says:

@Spike: You don’t seem to get what I dislike. I definitely don’t hate anime, and it’s not realism I am after.
    First of all, since when was popularity a way to measure anything? Why do you bring up shows like Code Geass? It doesn’t help you make your point.
    You know, I don’t care about teenagers in anime. I don’t. My favorite show this season is Penguin Drum, all its main cast are teenagers. But the thing is, they act like teenagers, they aren’t geniuses who can fix time machines they can’t even understand the concepts they are based on… In short, in Penguin Drum, they fit perfectly.
    The same I could say about Madoka Magica. They were teenagers, and they fit in their story perfectly. They acted like I’d expect teenagers to act (mostly), I came to care for them.
    I could give you a list of anime in which the teenagers acted like teenagers, and moved their story forward perfectly, those two come to mind immediately though.
    And now let’s take a look at Stein;Gate. We have a bunch of underage people, who get caught into a Time Travel conspiracy. Not only are they underage, Mayuri is incapable of having a conversation with anyone, apparently, maybe she’s just retarded, the fat guy… Has no purpose whatsoever, and of course, he could fix a time machine he created in the future (Does he even understand the physical concepts upon which time travel works?), Kurisu blushes at anything that Okabe tells her and acts like the annoying harem teenager stereotype, and, of course, is a genius Physicist…
    I’m not after realism. Take Lost, for example – in the end most of the mysteries didn’t make sense, but the story it told, and its characters, everything was so engaging and well told, I didn’t care. It wasn’t one bit realistic. Steins;Gate’s cast is only there to get on my nerves, and is the living embodiment of what is wrong with anime characterization. If the visual novel is the same, then the writers have a terrible problem at creating characters.

16. Perrin4869 says:

@umm: I love Penguin Drum and Usagi Drop, which most people seem to love, how does that make me being against the “cynical for the sake of being cynical because he probably thinks that being against the “popular opinion†makes him smart”?

17. Perrin4869 says:

I posted something a few minutes ago, but it seems it needs psgel’s approval, so for now, let me just state that when watching Steins;Gate, I don’t feel I’m watching human beings. I feel like I’m watching the “teenage Physicist genius”, the “crazy scientist”, the “fat otaku”, the “cute moe girl”.

18. umm... says:

I’m sorry if I seem like I’m making baseless assumptions, which I am to an extent, but your argument to why you think this is a flawed show is very lacking and I have a hard time taking it seriously.

19. TheBlimp says:

How many more D-mails are there left to undo after Moeka’s? Only ones I can remember are the lotto one and the one about Kurisu getting stabbed.

Also, couldn’t Okabe undo Moeka’s mail by sending himself a mail telling him to not let Moeka send the D-mail in the first place? Admittedly it wouldn’t make for very interesting plot but hey, its nice and easy.

20. Scruffy says:

@TheBlimp. They don’t need to undo anymore D-Mails as they now have the IBN5100 back.

21. kuuuristina says:

^Above

Okabe needs to undo the D-mails because that is the only certain way to revert back to the original timeline. If he did it any other way, it would have variations, desirable or not.

22. foamer says:

hmm i’m beginning to be suspicious of the bald guy and the little girl, can’t trust them o_O

23. Morgoth says:

@Perrin4869: Hmm, I’d argue that while the basic premise of the characterization seems implausible it was done for the sake of the entertainment value of these characters. They were developed quite good as far as it was possible with the not-so-serious premise.
    But I understand where you’re coming from, it would certainly help the tragic nature of the story if one could take the characters more seriously by making them more realistic. But the not-so-serious premise for this series is essential for this series humour, I think. With that in mind I’d say that the series never even tried to be realistic in the way you describe it and I think it’d be a bit harsh to criticize the series on terms it never even tried to meet.

24. *Disclaimer, if you are someone who is easily offended, or someone who feels that an assault on a manga/anime that you like is an assault against you, please skip this post…you have been warned.*

@Perrin You took the words right out out my mouth! Im glad someone spoke up about it. . . its a shame that most of it fell on deaf ears and instead of trying to discuss it, try to passive-aggressively bash and insult you.

Anyway, I could make a whoooole long list proving your point but really it just boils down to this: The creators just want to make you focus on the plot, the characters are pretty much just walking plot devices with little to no background/development (Chrisu is an exception)

Okabes antics is just there to distract you from that fact. It works though, especially if you watch it week to week and not marathon it, but eventually people will watch it a second time and be like “wait a minute. . .wtf”? and not in the “omg the plot is awesome whats going to happen next?” but more like who ARE these people? WHY do I care? WHY SHOULD I care? etc etc etc.

Yes the show is entertaining and fun to watch which is enough for many people-and in some cases enough to the point that people get offended when others don’t like the show and throw out veiled insults to relieve their frustration(a.k.a fanboy/girl-ism) but really other than entertaining and having a very interesting plot/setting/atmosphere by heavily relying on the “Mystery” factor and the time travel premise (which I admit I am a sucker for)
    Other than that, the characters dont really ,match up to the hype.

“I don’t feel I’m watching human beings. I feel like I’m watching the “teenage Physicist genius”, the “crazy scientist”, the “fat otaku”, the “cute moe girl”.

Pretty much, this, although the teenage physicist DID get some background on her (even though if it is only for the purpose of the plot)

. . .anyway. . .its pretty interesting about how people cant take criticism on the *shows* that they like with people saying such BS like: oh its harsh to criticize this anime for “insert BS reason here” its like. . .then why even come here? if your just going to circle jerk each other off over shows that you like, why not just go to a fansite? Why get offended and get sand in your vaginas when someone “harshly” criticizes (a.k.a points out glaring flaws) in a show that you happen to like? hell I like this show and some of the criticisms makes sense. . .Its pretty hard to discuss shows if the average maturity here is that of a 12 year old.

I think I will personally stop commenting here, I cant take the childish BS that a lot of you just throw out, I know of other places where people can have discussions without being afraid of offending someone for “bashing” or whatever, Ill still be a fan of psgels, but really Ive gotten tired of you other people, Its no better than going to a Bleach fanboy website and and when you point out something amiss everyone jumps on you. . .instead of talking about it like adults would.

さらば。

25. Spike says:

@Perrin I didn’t bring up those shows because of their teenagers or whatever. I brought them up because the story and characters have a similiar Bombastic Over-The-Topness that makes for an enjoyable series. Frankly The people watching anime for the most part, don’t want to see how a ‘normal’ person/teenager/adult would react in these situations. They build these shows using common tropes and archetypes of characters and thats why they become popular. Realistic potrayals are very niche. So my inference that you don’t like ‘anime’ is mostly true because your words SEEM to indicate you only like a small niche segment of ‘anime’. You are dogging on ‘anime’ for using the things that, well, make anime popular.

26. Morgoth says:

“. . .anyway. . .its pretty interesting about how people cant take criticism on the *shows* that they like with people saying such BS like: oh its harsh to criticize this anime for “insert BS reason here” its like. . .then why even come here? if your just going to circle jerk each other off over shows that you like, why not just go to a fansite?”
    Wait a minute… If you’re referring to my comment with this, I didn’t say that the basic premise of these characters is great and I pointed out that the series indeed would be better if it had took its characterization serious.
    My point was only that the series never even tried to go up that alley since the characters aren’t based on what behaviour one would expect from them (which of course doesn’t do the series a great service to use its full potential, I admit). They follow their own concepts instead of the plausible ones. And my opinion is that one should criticize a series for what it’s actually aiming for instead of what one thinks they should aim for.

Another strange scene nobody had mentioned yet here was the moment as Okabe holds Moeka down and keeps her silent while a neighbor-lady comes to look why Moeka is screaming and all. So she sees a stranger struggling with Moeka – and somehow comes to the conclusion that it’s “just a thing modern couples do”. And with these words she leaves again as if that’d explain everything.
    The appearance of this neighbour just made this scene even weirder, I think, for showing how nobody reacted to Moeka’s screaming and the sound of her fighting with Okabe.

27. lostsage says:

@ Carbuncle, Perrian I understand your point but how can characters be anything other than walking plot devices? That’s what a character is. The only shows where characters move without being plot driven are slice-of-life.

Take penguindrum, Himari is the obvious plot character. Mysterious deadly illness? Check. Her brothers’ actions and skills are completely driven by trying to save her (the plot). Like being able to pick locks is a skill most teenagers pick up. Regardless of what they do, saving her is the basis for basically everything. Ringo being a stalker is simply to make her stand out. She could have been a super genius with a notebook telling her things to invent things rather than being a stalker, and the plot would be unaffected. Background stories are just disguises for the characters so it isn’t completely obvious they are totally plot driven. The “believable teenagers” only come out for the slice-of-life bits like the date in the park.

Your comment could have been “I don’t buy the backgrounds of Steins;Gates’s characters and the slice-of-life scenes come off as unbelievable.” And you would have gotten a reasonable response. Instead you were confrontational “Such a shame to see it wasted… ” and got a confrontation.

And is bashing people for defending shows they like against gross exaggerations (except Mayuri is useless) and misunderstanding kinda vague criticism the right response? I guess telling people who disagree with your opinions they have “sand in your vaginas” is how “adults” handle things.

28. Perrin4869 says:

@Carbuncle MIchales Jackson elliot: Oh yeah, the time travel mystery is very well developed in the anime indeed, I’m a sucker for it too.

@Morgoth: Well, this might be just a difference in tastes, but I do believe that having good characters is pretty much vital in a thriller such as this. Failing in that point pretty much takes all the thrill from the story (at least from me)! Of course the science fiction is as enjoyable as ever though.

@Spike: Again, you are misunderstanding. I’m not after how a “normal person would react”. I just want engaging, deep characters, at least as much as possible, and this anime isn’t even trying. It does lots of things right, as psgels pointed out, you see them going to the supermarket shopping, there are lots of neat details to appreciate here, the plot is awesome, but without good characters…
    Also, you just did a terrible disservice for anime. I don’t know what you watch normally, or what your tastes are, but to say that most anime just use archetypes… That’s is just plain wrong. Most anime strive to have engaging characters, heck, all fiction strives to do that, otherwise, let’s throw all fiction and just pick up a math book or something. Even the most popular anime like Naruto try to deliver there as much as the author’s talent and experience allows him to…

29. Perrin4869 says:

@lostsage: Uhm… Yeah, I guess I did come off aggressive. Sorry. And Mayuri is not the only one useless, Daru falls into the same department too.
    But yeah, I guess most of my gripes do come from the slice-of-life moments coming off as unbelievable.

30. Morgoth says:

Well, that discussion of the characters just reminded me… When was actually the last time where one could call an character honestly smart in a Shounen-series? Most of the time the characters that are “supposedly” the smart ones are reduced to talking heads just explaining what is happening and what should be done in the future without ever deciding anything essential. Shounen-Animes seem to like it far more to see their protagonists struggle on an emotional level than on an intellectual one.

The main problem of the plot right now is indeed Okabe, I think. It all depends on what kind of character he’s going to be after everything’s done. I mean, right now he isn’t the most engaging character since his motivation is rather dull. So he wants to save Maya, why? Because she’s his friend, because he loves her? There’s nothing conceptual deep about his adventures to save her. It’s all on the surface of things with the momentum of the plot right now. Steins;Gate is a very simple story in its concept but the way it uses its time-travel-mechanics and lets the characters interact with each other is rather good, I think. Although it is a matter of taste how much one likes it. Steins;Gate is a good series but it’s certainly not one of the great ones out there, I’d say.

31. umm... says:

Just because they don’t dedicate entire episodes to backstory doesn’t mean there isn’t any character depth. You really have to pay attention to the little things in order to appreciate these characters. There are so many subtle nuances and bits of dialogue that, when pieced together paint a vivid portrait of each character. In this show, just like in real life, you have to actually pay extremely close attention to understand other people.

32. Morgoth says:

@umm…: So where is the depth specifically? The dialogue is good enough to give the characters a sound reason for what they are doing but beyond that there isn’t much to it. Okabe wants to save Mayuri because of his personal feelings for her, the series showed that but what is the meaning beyond that? What is the point of Okabe saving Mayuri? That’s where the ending is the deciding point of this series, I think, where everything comes together and says what it wants to say because until now it’s not very clear what ultimately the point of the characters actions is.

33. Spike1 says:

The point of the series is about the realities of fate and choice. Does a character REALLY need a reason to want to save their most cherished friend? I don’t see how it’s unclear what the show is trying to do…

34. alt says:

I totally agree that steins is the best show on this and last season. This episode was actually disturbing to me tho. Simply because OkaRin has reached his limit. The stress has gotten to him and he simply has no idea what to do. As a result he is totally relying on “Krisu”.

35. a says:

7/31 11:30 moeka’s dmail “IBN5100 in yanabayashi”
    7/31 12:31 okabe serch start IBN5100(titor mail”you get 5100″)episode 4

himself d-mail?
    no sence.

36. gecd says:

people will talk good about anime they like
    and talk bad about anime they hate
    its very simple

37. Okabe Rules! says:

Um, since when does one need a meaning beyond “I want to save my CHILDHOOD BEST FRIEND’S LIFE”. I hope you’re never my friend and I suddenly need your help, because without a deeper meaning behind it I’d be screwed.

Seriously. And if you can’t see all the meaning behind this show then you should take off your glasses.

1) changing the past effects the future more than you know.
    2) The drive behind the characters who attempt to right their wrongs, whether they fail and commit suicide, die a lonely death, etc or succeed.
    3) The friendship of Okabe and his “Lab assistant” and how valuable someone you can speak to about anything is.
    4) Trust, every time he jumps, his friends believe what he says afterwards. Let me tell my friends I’ve just come from the future etc…
    5) The mystery behind each character and the way they are revealed. (we now know why ms textalot never stops text messaging and why she is so shy when it comes to anything else. I for one can’t wait to see what happens because the show, for what it is, is awesome. I don’t need super deep characters to make the show warm. I dont care what happened to everyone when they were younger or what their goals and aspirations are. They are now, they are here, and this is their tale, take it for what it is and stop asking for time to be wasted on what isn’t of importance in this tale.

38. umm... says:

@Morgoth

Are you familiar with philosophy? If not, then I can understand why you aren’t seeing the things that I am seeing. This series is ripe with concepts of perception of reality and causality (causality does not equate to the poorly expanded “cause and effect”). There are evem elements of modern Chaos theory thrown in.

Notice how people use different names for Okabe even in this comments section. Some people call him Houin, some people call him Okarin, some people call him Okabe, some people call him Rintarou. Okabe bestowed titles to all those he comes across with because he believed he was the world and everyone around him was merely a projection or fragment of his existence. Their lives did not matter, as they only existed to serve him. Mayuri is the only one who was not given a title. There is meaning in this. Mayuri is “special”. Her parents are dead and she is alone. Her existence is thin because there is nobody to acknowledge it; it’s as if she would float away if not tied down or disappear. Okabe was the only one who acknowledged Mayuri because he was afraid of that happening. That is why he took her as his hostage (maybe). After Mayuri died, Okabe felt alone because the only person that he had ever felt as if he had shared an existence with was gone. The only person that he could acknowledge as a true being left him, since only one who has experienced loneliness can truly exist. As he delves into the lives of the people around him in order to stop the inevitable, he begins to understand the problems and emotions of the people he had previously on thought of as cardboard stand-ins in his life. As his perceptions of the people around him develop, so do ours.

That is why the character development was thin. The story is not about “Okabe and friends”. It is about “the world”. In other words, it’s about “Okabe/Houin/Okarin/Whatever.” I wrote too much sorry.

39. umm... says:

Also, he is using peoples’ given names more often now.

40. kll says:

who says they are underage? lol. I thought quite a few of the characters are uni students

41. FormX says:

@umm…
    The chances of ppl coming to this page again is slim, but I gotta say that was somewhat deep and impressive.

Oh wait...Uchi no Musume isn't an isekai...the genre has become so big that almost any time I take a glance at a fantasy tag I jump to the assumption its isekai.
@Aidan: I know you played YU-NO and I'm aware of your problems with it, is it actually possible for any adaptation of it to work, to be salvageable?
That is the officiaal English translated volume that currently goes beyond the currently available English scans.
Actually I was wrrong totsukunai's 6th volume is actually out now .
*series with the daughter isekai
Ah, isekai genre, attempting to trick me into watching the genre with the daughter isekai thing, I won't fall for your scheme...
@Mario: Interesting typo there, spelling Beastars as Bearstars, the typo still makes it sound animal related.
@Amagi: I want my Gunka no Balthazar anime and I want it now.
@Amagi: Reminder that the new volume of totsukuni is out in April. So far its an ova adaptation we're getting but Magus bride also started out getting an ova and thats from the same magazine.
Re:Zero season 2 baby. It's about goddamn time.
Without thinking much Shiori Experience, Dedededestruction and Atelier of Witch Hat are the only running manga series I really like without annoucement. There are more, but not that many.
I can barely think of manga I like and read that didn't get announcements yet. Years ago people still had these lists of fake anime annoucements of manga everybody wanted to see animated, now it's reality.
and Bearstars announced for this Fall 2019. Cool
@Kaiser: Man I hadn't heard about the Totsukunai no Shoujo adaption yet that's awesome. Really love Mori too, these series could be fantastical if they get a good ost.
Animosh
And Cells at Work is getting a second season too apparently. So many announcements in the last few days.
Animosh
Oh, nice! It has its problems, but it's definitely one of the better isekai out there. Glad it's getting a second season.
I'm more interested in somali to mori getting an adaptation aswell as totsukunai no shoujo though.
For those who happened to enjoy it Re: zero is getting more ovas and a second season.
I know often young male characters get female voice actors in Japanese, but i tend to veer more toward male voice actors for male characters.
Although I'd say going back the old adv dub was probably very dated. Though Spencer really got the patheticness of Shinji right.
@Anon: MUH Windee Lee MUH Spike Spencer, MUH old dub.
So Evangelion (probably Netflix's biggest anime this year) is rolling out June 21. New English dub, all 26 episodes and the films (sans the Rebirth ones) all at once.
From time to time there are Index-verse antagonists I am kinda interested in but in the end I am never willing to watch 50+ episodes or so to get to the point where said interesting characters may appear. I just don't care about the protags of these series.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Some things never die. Sonic, Fast and Furious, James Bond, Godzilla, Mario, Pokemon, etc. The only way these things truly die, is lost of interest, less sales, eventual ceasement of talking about these things.
Yet another Index anime announced, this franchise refuses to go away.
In regards to Shield Hero, I still find it enjoyable, but like with the Slime Isekai, my issue is how it becomes a one-man show. I do wonder if they'll delve into Raphtalia's backstory in this season.
That's the issue with genres, sometimes a story can turn into a comedy, a harem, an action shounen, a mystery thriller, a surreal fantasy, or a slice of life. It has to shift to keep some degree of uniqueness. Most series stick to a trope in the end.
@Amagi - Most anime and manga fall after the premise alone, especially the gender bender genre (yeah it's a thing (*^.^*)). The thing is that after that point you either stick to an established formula or you have to turn your story into something else, the adventure, the romance, the wacky comedy, because that's what will stick.
Animosh
True that. Maybe Re:Zero is an exception, since Subaru seems to keep his supporting role (as the weakling with infinite lives)? Although it has plenty of tired tropes of its own, of course.
@Animosh: That's the problem with almost all isekai. They usually try baiting people with some new premise, be it MC being a slime, weakling, support role, old or whatever only to ignore it a few episodes or arcs later and turn into the same run-of-the-mill like the other isekai.
Animosh
It's a shame Shield Hero seems to have largely abandoned its premise of making the shield hero a purely defense-oriented hero who can only play a "supporting" role. If he can single-handedly take down (mini-)bosses, in spite of his low level and the fact that he can't use any weapons, simply because he's, you know, angry, then ... he's really no different from the other heroes, just more broken.
Animosh
Thunderbolt Fantasy will get a new movie / OVA / whatever centered on Lang (the bard) and his past. It'll take place in Shang's old country (Xi-You), so we should see what it's like for the first time. Anyway, if it's as good as the one focusing on the Screaming Phoenix Killer it should be fun.
I remember the idea of dlc was something that annoyed me.
I do remember getting a kick out of playing old N64 multiplayers, lol bunch of then 13 year olds not knowing how to play goldeneye multiplayer properly or stealthily , so it basically turns into a Hong kong style shootout.
"We're in the middle of a battle! You have to stay logged in"
"GODDAMMIT I need to eat I can't stay!, Godammit nature calls"
When my friends got into MMOs and online shooters, I simply didn't have the time commitment or patience for the prior in particular.
A person will only play one or two of such endless games, people won't start new ones just because they pop up everywhere, but nobody seems to get this.
The problem is that everyone is only looking at how much money the few big ones make and think they can imitate it when the whole thing is actually just a bubble, just as with gacha games.
@Kaiser: I actually enjoyed classical coops but yeah, MMO not really. Especially not when it feels like a game was created for single player and they shoved the MMO stuff in or when a game gets less story heavy and less content to make room for the lootershooter/pvp/whatever MMO stuff.
I am doing this too right now. Will probably marathon a few shows I skipped so far in case that they're good till the end. More into playing right now
You might say I was keen on the idea of being in the same room as someone after I defeated them in a fighting game =P
*going on
Its far more easy to remember whats going in that way.
*the habit
@Amagi: I've gotten into he habit of only watching a few shows each season, then later on catching up with others.
@Amagi: Back in my gaming days my idea of a multiplayer was with a group of friends in a room, but it all shifted into massive online multiplayer mmos and fps games.
Sadly, the OPM PV looks weak, I will miss the great animations of MP100.
@Kaiser: Have to admit that I like Mob more than I feared, it's the show I enjoy the most right now. Otherwise I'd go with your ranking, maybe with an added Neverland.
Man I hate how every game has to become more and more multiplayer'ish just let me play games as loner again.
I already dropped it during episode 1. Considering that the manga has ~120+ chapters I guess it's another eternal status quo thing too.
@Wooper: I read a couple of volumes of the manga, its hit or miss and eventually gets repetitive, it could be often funny in certain parts but I'm bored of it now. I saw some bits of the anime and didn't laugh.
SuperWooper
>not watching Kaguya-sama
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
I suppose now that its near the end of this season I should rank what I've been watching: 1. Run with the wind 2. Boogiepop 3. dororo 4. go-toubon.
@Vonter: And there thats the other thing, out of it so long there's a massive buildup of games , increasingly difficult to catch up and get back into.
At the moment I'm playing Guacamelee 2. Which I had my doubts since the first game got a bit frustrating do to the backtracking. This one gives me a Super Paper Mario vibe in the villains departament.
@AidanAK47 I'm not even mad anymore, but still disappointed Western Games can't give closure to their over 10 million dollar games. I think you can have a self contained story and maybe tease the story is open to more adventures or something.
I suppose if I'm curious for the story I'll watch an edited Let's Play.
Yeah, I agree, it does feel like indie developers and Nintendo make the games I like. I don't know maybe I'm just getting old to catch up with the recent trends most ambitious projects tend to follow. Also how most of these games take a lot of time to get going and I don't have that much free time to spare waiting for the game to let me play it.
@Vonter: I got into watching letsplays for a while some years back, it was a decent way to re-live an old game without playing it.
Whoring out sequels is pretty much the bane of most things, just continually dilutes the original and in some cases can even ruin the original for you.
But I can still remember that very moment when I first played a 3D game and how unreal that felt .
And there isn't time to give to absolutely every medium.
Unfortunately I think I've been so long out of the habit of gaming that I've gotten used to and familiar with not being part of that scene , to where I kind of simply just don't pick up a controller anymore.
Not to mention that they are gonna milk it to death. They already got about 5 sequels planned and put in a thing showing how they could milk it. To me GOW 2018 is an incomplete game, a part 1 of a needlessly long franchise. Whereas the old games had stories which felt complete.
@Vonter, I would say it's more that despite the fantastical settings both Hoizon and GOW 2018 make use of tired sandbox game mechanics. GOW especially annoyed me as I feel they stripped out everything that made those games there own things and replaced them with game mechanics stolen from other games. GOW lost it's very essence.
*Futaro
Fuataro is best girl.
@Vonter: I just read that the new Orphan anime is a prequel.
@Vonter: Back when I played/watched people play videogames, it was moreso Jrpgs and old Nintendo and sega genesis games.
IMO making something more complicated than it should ends making something less enjoyable to play.
Why not just watch a Let's Play. I suppose is an overreaction, but I felt very mixed how God of War 2018 was a good Father and Son story, but really annoying to play. Constant walking and climbing sequences, combat that I think it's less involved than the ones from the other games, and constant looting that lost it's charm by the 30th chest.
I don't know why but I've been feeling that I'm enjoying more playing on the Switch than the PS4. While I enjoyed RE2 and will likely replay it, other high tech games like God of War, Horizon and the like don't do much for me. Most of this realistic games have very slow starts, make the playstation fans sound like it's struggling, and if the best part of these games is the dialogue and cinematics.
Genuinely a very good sign when a 20 minute episode feels much shorter than it is and its rewarding to see an anime series possess such a degree of confidence in its direction.
Just finished it. Seriously, Kaze Fui has nailed this segment of episodes. Just homerun after homerun. Its ridiculous. I love it. Kurahara tapping into the freakin speed force
Animosh
Now only Haiji is left. When there were five episodes remaining I was wondering whether there'd be enough content to fill them all, now I'm wondering how the show is going resolve everything in one episode. But the show has barely made any missteps so far, so I'm sure it'll nail the ending too.
Animosh
Kurahara's segment was also good. He's fallen in love with running, and now that he's pursuing running for its own sake he runs faster than ever. It also helps that he's crazy talented, of course.
I want to be excited for OPM 2... but JC Staff

Also I cant wait to watch Kaze Fui when I get off work. Sounds like it was good
Animosh
Yeah, King's segment was better than expected. Pretty relatable. His issues did come a bit out of nowhere though. His segment could have been even better if there had been some hints that he has been struggling with this earlier. It's also a bit strange that there wasn't any development with his job hunt, since that what basically his defining trait throughout the series.
The developments from the first cour are absolutely paying off big time and it's amazing to see how far this cast has come since the first episode. And now it's time for Haiji's segment next episode. I can't take waiting another week for this!
Well. Bravo Kaze ga. That was an amazing display that Kakeru showed. I loved his segment. King's backstory really hit me close to home as someone who recently graduated.
Now on Boogiepop phantom episode 16....a discount Godzilla!
@Anon: I liked Densetsu no yusha even though no one did and Record of Lodoss war, always wished there had been more of both.
Animosh
Yeah, that trailer ... does not look promising.
Just as MP100 s2 takes its bow, there's going to be a lot of people expecting OPM to be as amazing as that or s1. Oh boy.
A reminder to temper your expectations for OPM s2.
After a messy start, that Prince of Smiles show has largely settled for okay. Not terrible, not amazing, but largely above-average and rather forgettable. I'd compare it to that Record of Grancrest War show from last year.
This apparently isn't like that other Doga Kobo show where the pedo bait was persistent throughout.
So uh, has anyone tried to go back to Wataten and see if the pedo bait has subsided since the first episode? Because it seems like it has for the time being.
Animosh
@Anon: no, I mean a continuation of the main story. I read about it on the anime subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/b26yj1/shaft_producer_mitsutoshi_kubota_confirming_that/
@Anon, I love Mob Psycho, but the series does have some iffy stills. Thats not an issue though, because this is an animated medium. Its meant to be viewed in motion and holy shit, does it look good in motion
However my main issue at the moment is the feeling of them dragging things out for the sake of having that be the finale. Right now episodes just don't have much content and I feel it's too dragged out for it's own good.
@Anon, Nervous isn't really the word I would use. As far as adaption is concerned I feel the series has done quite well for the most part with the only big misstep being the shows reluctance to have any inner monologue whatsoever which has lead to questionable choices to alternatively present information that was usually spoken in mind. I say the end of the arc will be done well.
@Aidan As a manga reader, are you nervous about how they'll adapt the end of the arc in Neverland?
mob psycho was amazeballs this week. It's the show that just keeps on giving. On a side note, I've seen some comments floating around about how the show has terrible still shots and I'm going to dispel that erroneous assessment in this week's discussion
SuperWooper
Search bar is in the upper right hand corner, in case you're still searching.
@Animosh You referring to that Madoka mobile game tie-in?
That’s not the search bar
Mob psycho
They decided to adapt mushoku tensei apparently. I might aswell see what all the fuss about it is as being one of the "better" isekai.
I can't imagine how the polar bear isekai or vending machine one would handle the harem aspect.
Animosh
As for Slime getting another season, I personally don't mind. It's obviously not a masterpiece, but I don't watch isekai for enlightenment. If they can offer me some relaxation after a day's work, that's enough for me.
Animosh
Some nice announcements in the past few days: Oregairu is getting a third (and final) season, and Madoka is rumored to get a sequel too (maybe focusing on Sayaka?).
Cross Ange is not trash tho, way better than those others
I'm wiser nowto certain types of story telling, making an overly long show that keeps throwing endless gotchas at you, eventually you get tired of the show trying to play with you instead of actually moving things forward.
@Anon: I've enjoyed many a trashy show/film in my time, but guilty crown, cross ange and Valvrave I couldn't finish, there are certain cases where the brain begins hurting/aching.
While different in settings and genres, they obviously have Okouchi's writing full of shock value and swerves.
Guilty Crown and Valvrave are like his most explicit attempts to recreate Geass, and look how those two fared. Kabaneri also falls into the same traps as those too.
But even he ends up letting his worst tendencies slip in with examples like Princess Principal, particularly the last episode.
Which ironic that the best shows that he's written are the ones that are not trying to recreate those Geass days like Lupin the 3rd Part V or that Devilman Netflix show.
It's amusing to see that Okouchi's worst enemy is essentially himself. Trying to recreate that Code Geass magic with ass pulls, shocking swerves, and shock value without realizing that it's never as shocking the second time around. And that has basically ruined almost every work he's attached to.
I always find it funny how almost everyone agrees that it was Biba who ruined Kabaneri. I liked that show so much before he appeared, damn. Will watch the movie but my hype is killed and I fear the movie will just be about another random human antagonist instead of the actual Kabaneri problem.
mongatari
@Lenlo@Wooper: At least we have the Tanya movie to look forward to.
*Even though I know its going for something fun.
Oh COME on Japan, just give me by communist isekai mecha show so we can be lovers again.
@Anon: Biba fucker ruined the show and it stopped allowing me to enjoy Kabeneri as a shitty ova throwback.
@Aidan: Couldn't even make good on a stupid re-incarnation premise on the ones you mentioned.
Or better yet, find some old proto-isekai and adapt it.
"Could be worse" I suppose I win by default by bringing up Parallel paradise and ruining everyones fun by reminding them of its existence.
I think my brother in laws reason for liking trashy isekai is because he sees them as an anime equivalent to exploitation films, I should just tell him to watch old ovas.
If we're doing the re-incarnation thing, just give me a full please save my earth adaptation or bokura no kiseki or that other re-incarnation thing done by Spirals artist.
Not an isekai, but a LN adaptation, Index keeps popping up again every so often, I fell out of the series a long time ago and got exhausted with it.
I feel the same way about konosuba, I wish I found it funny but I don't because I know it is going for that "fun" thing.
I think, especially with a second season, I'd eventually get fed up with it aswell and that it would get repetitive.
My brother (and probably my brother in law too) seem to enjoy Reincarnated as a slime as a casuals show and find it funny. I saw clips of the dub, the voice actors sounded like they were having fun and I think some people found the slime/dragon interactions at the start amusing. I'm just left thinking that the show is something my younger self might have gone for but I'm indifferent to it now.
Or the vending machine isekai
Or the polar bear isekai
It could be the hot spring isekai
Well guys it could be worse.
I sense a disturbance in the medium. I fear for the future.
SuperWooper
That's fantastic news, as series set in the real world give me diarrhea. I assume that the majority of Japanese otaku suffer from the same issue, given the number of isekai manga and LNs that are slowly polluting my favorite art form. :^)
As expected, that Slime isekai show has been renewed for a second season.
SuperWooper
@Anon3540676: Hey!
And despite all of these recent announcements lately, IG still hasn't announced a release date and release model for DNT s2 yet beyond theatrical screenings. =(
https://youtu.be/cxjXEIDbBxAInterestingly, seems like Banana Fish (technically not BL) did well enough for Noitamina to consider having an adaptation an actual BL manga on their block.
I would really love to see that Kabaneri film get things back on track after the second half nearly derailed it (pun intended).
Huh, well that didn't take too long for a release date regarding Psycho-Pass 3. It's slated for October.
Meanwhile, Beastars is going to be Netflix-exclusive, and interestingly, the Kabaneri film is going to air simultaneously on Netflix and Amazon alongside a limited theatrical release.
@Amagi: Did you ever read beast complex? I haven't done so yet, it seems like like the beastars authors prototype for it.
@Amagi: Hadn't known that, thanks. Also, I read the most recent 20 or so chapters Amatsuki, all has finally been revealed.
Q's (Dorohedoro) new series started, Dai Dark. It's basically Dorohedoro in space (therefore, I am completely fine with it).
This adaptation of Dororo is adding a lot of new content to its story in its adaptation. It's taking what was a much more one-dimensional story in my opinion, and giving it layers.

And yeah, Run with the Wind was great. Sure Kurahara has been the most emotional, he is the lead, but I think everyone in the cast has done a decent job
Although while I did enjoy last week, I didn't think it captured the impact the manga had.
Dororo upped the ante this week to its benefit. This episode also showed how the series can succeed even with the protagonist having a minimized screentime. I don't remember Taromaro going up against a demon in the manga, this is an advantage of this adaptation adding stuff.
...because there will be that sense of saying goodbye.
@Lenlo: And thinking it over, I've been beginning to get the feeling that this will be one of those took me on a journey shows, one of those shows where I felt I really spent alot of time with everyone in it and after it ends/in the last episode, it'll get me feeling something...
@Lenlo: While so far in the series I thi7nk the stuff around Kakeru has been the most emotionally rewarding, the middle of this episode crept up on me , the tension of the race itself was never interrupted by the flashbacks and they were well stitched into the narrative.
Just watched it. I love this show so much. How is a show about running so damn good

Paranoia Agent – 9 [Etc.] – Throwback Thursday

Hello all, and welcome to a very… odd episode of Paranoia Agent. Which, knowing this show, is saying something. This week we tackle public gossip, the inconsistencies that come with it and if there is any truth to it. Lets go! Starting off, let’s talk about the execution. Normally here, I talk about animation and […]

Kemurikusa – 11

At long last, we have an entire episode in flashback and explains much of its Kemurikusa’s rich settings. Even at the risk of over-informed us with details, all the information we learn this week is both unexpected, and makes total sense. Before we get into the details, (AND WHAT A MAJOR REVEAL), I feel the […]

Winter 2019 Summary – Week 9-10

Another two weeks have passed, and Summer Season is coming in sight. It’s the time where most shows get busy as they reach their final arc. Mob Psycho 100 ventures into its shounen roots,  Run with the Wind does extremely well in its last leg, literally, and Kemurikusa girls part way emotionally. Let’s see how these 4 shows below perform in […]

Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai – 09/10 [The Vagabond Leader/ The Aggressive Bombers]

Welp, Kotobuki is getting really good. Normally this is the time where shows reach its final overarching arc, and sometimes it loses a bit of it magic because of that (like what I currently have with Gotobun), but with its tongue-in-cheek manner and its main storyline that is totally unexpected but weirdly fit to the […]

Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) – 15/16 [Overdrive: The King of Distortion 2/3]

The nightmare never seems to end. During episode 15, we have three separate segments of characters stuck in their own dreams: Makoto’s mother, Sakiko and Kentarou. Play into Boogiepop’s strength, these characters have their own drama and each of their story explores different aspect of this phenomenal, all related to the King of Distortion himself. […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru – 22 [Embrace Your Loneliness]

Hello all and welcome to the penultimate episode of Kaze Fui! This week we see King’s struggle, Kurahara takes off and Sakaki becomes a little less hate-able. Lets take off running, we have a lot to cover! In terms of animation and production, Kaze Fui surprised me this week. I didn’t think that, after Yuki […]

Kemurikusa – 08/09/10

Welp, I don’t think I have taken that long break before since I started blogging. My life has been busier than usual lately and I also feel a little bit burnt out from blogging lately. Writing can be a pain sometimes. Hopefully this is just a temporary slump because I’m not intending to stop blogging […]

Dororo – 11 [The Story of Banmon, Part 1]

Lets skip the preamble this week and just dive in to Dororo! On this episode our plucky pair explore Daigo’s city, fight some fox spirits and get in a bit of a pickle. Lets go! Startin off, Dororo had some interesting visuals and colors this week. With the Fox Spirits and the Crazy Woman sticking […]

Mob Psycho 100 S2 – 11 [Guidance ~Psychic Sensor~]

Hello and welcome once more to the Mob Psycho 100 blog, where I gush about Mob Psycho 100! This week see’s an old villains return, multiple defeats and more of Mob’s growth. Lets dive in! Now, at this point I feel like a broken record when talking about Mob Psycho’s animation. But the fact is, […]

A quick and dirty review of Garo: Vanishing Line

What it claims to be about: A secret order of knights and alchemists, the Makai Knights and Alchemists, fight horrifying creatures called Hollows who prey on human weakness .Part of the media franchise spanning anime and live action shows, this iteration is set in modern metropolis and concerns the attempts of Sword, the strongest Makai […]

Planetes Anime Review – 89/100

If there is one thing I have lost watching seasonal anime, it is patience. Every week I expect something to happen, some kind of payoff, to make watching that week worth it. Luckily, Planetes as brought that back to me. Its depth of writing, characters, and general structure belay an anime of a different age. […]

Goblin Slayer Anime Review – 60/100

The controversial nature of this shows opening episode may have many turning away from it due to believing it’s nothing but shock value but that truly isn’t what Goblin Slayer is. I will say that the manga may hold some truth to that statement but thanks to some tasteful censoring(Yes, sometimes censoring can be a […]

Zombieland Saga Anime Review – 60/100

Zombieland Saga was a show that came out of the gate guns blazing, no one expected it nor did anyone predict it but it left a strong impression when it first aired it’s starting episodes. Originally considered to be another zombie apocalypse anime, it overthrew expectations by turning out to be a zombie idol anime. […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN (Fall 2018) Anime Review – 87/100

Let it be known that I’ve never been a fan of Trigger. For me, they’re one of the most style-with-no-substance studio on Earth with a tendency for god-awful fanservice, and total nonsense in terms of story and characters. Yet GRIDMAN completely caught me off guard in the first two episodes, and from there, there was […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 (Fall 2018) Anime Review – 86/100

If anyone has been familiar with the first season of Thunderbolt Fantasy, you’d find yourself a lot to enjoy in this second installment. Served as a sequel, but not a direct continuation to the first, viewers don’t need the knowledge of the original in order to enjoy this ride. Thunderbolt 2 carries many trademarks that […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara (2018 Fall) Anime Review – 73/100

In the last few years, it’s great to see P.A Works has slowly created their own studio identity, putting more original works with consistent production values. Just in 2018, they produced 4 shows (quite a good number if you ask me), 3 of them were original: Maquia, Sirius the Jaeger and Irozuku. As I said, […]

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai Anime Review – 82/100

In the wake of many a school based light novel show this may be the small bits of fresh air was can savor out of this overdone setting. Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl(Or by its japanese title above) is a series not about rascals or bunny girls but instead about contextualising common high […]

Banana Fish Anime Review – 72/100

Some days, I wonder what it is with America and anime about organized crime. Baccano!, 91 Days, Blood Blockade Battlefront, all set in America, all involving criminal underworlds. Today, I get to add another to that list in the form of Banana Fish. Much more grounded than the others, it’s story dates all the way […]