Posted by psgels on 1 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

You know how often action series like to set themselves at high schools? You know how often the bad guys just ignore the most perfect targets of high school students? Yeah. This show realized that too. Holy crap that was intense! This is horror! The pacing still was excellent and the portrayal of the cast as ordinary high school students is really paying off now!

I’d also like to direct you to this interview, of the director of Blood-C and the director of Blood+ (and who has been pretty much writing every installment of the franchise). That, combined with this episode took away all of my doubts for this series: this is gonna be awesome.

The interesting thing is that the Junichi Fujisaku fully intended this Saya to be different from the Saya of Blood+ and really intended this series to make use of its creative freedom. And I have to agree that this so far has been an awesome way to expand upon the Blood Franchise. Heck, the director was intentionally planning to make the series END, while still leaving open room for the movie which will be completely different, which is EXACTLY what I’ve been hoping!

As for why I didn’t mind this series in the beginning, even though I have given up on series who started with very bland characters. For one, the execution really helped: for me, Blood-C immediately had a really tight atmosphere, and used its flashbacks combined with its battles really well to build up a sense of urgency for the cast. It puts them in a context and made me interested in what this series would look like when it really fired off. Compare that to R-15 or Baka To Test to Shoukanjuu Ni, which were just slurs of bad acting and jokes that didn’t work, with nothing that really caught my attention.

All in all, I do not think that the characters in this series are badly acted or portrayed, like for example what happened with Uta Prince and Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, which both did try to tell some overall story, but completely lost me on how completely stupid they were. Saya herself may not be smart, but this is on a different league compared to the stupidity of the shows mentioned above. The acting here is restrained, instead of characters trying to act all over the place in the hopes of catching attention. Those are the characters that I find to be the most obnoxious the most often.

Overall I like the way this show did its cross-overs. Interestingly, it’s not the only series to have done that this season, with Blade and all. The best cross-overs can really enhance both shows and add some new things and introspectives, while being excellent stories that are still watchable on their own, no matter whether we’re talking about in-universe cameos or alternative universes. That’s why I’m not a big a fan of the Votoms alternative movies: they felt rather random and didn’t seem to add much depth to the Votoms franchise and they weren’t really interesting to watch. Same for the Precure All-Stars movies: I found them to be rather boring and they didn’t really add anything significant to Heartcatch Precure.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Will says:

And that marks the hat trick of Awesome ratings. I suppose it was an awesome week for anime.

2. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

eeeeh NO! Iorogi is NOT another version of Kurogane! Its just the same seiyuu and they made fun of it! If you had read the Kobato manga you would now that!

3. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

I don’t want to sound rude, but it’s really irritating when you state stuff like it’s a fact, and in reality its just plain wrong.

4. Kits says:

Baka test and R-15 try be diferent every episode, this is serie is the same thing every week, random school and random battle, this is stupid in the sense is to repetitive and with don’t met to well the others characters, Uta prince a less with know well, Saya is boring, don’t have any carism. you just like be imparcial with Clamp

5. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

oh and of course DogWata is the same as holicWata because he owns a shop that fills wishes… ^^;;;
    Your wish-reference to Kobato doesn’t make any sense, too, because the wish dind’t link to any other CLAMP-series, the wish wasn’t made in the holicshop.

As for the episode: why did Saya AGAIN wait until many people were slaughtered before doing something? I hope this isn’t just lazy writing.
    But nonetheless i liked the second half of the episode, it was intense. (damn censoring)

6. Snowolf says:

Iorogi is not another version of Kurogane, not that I think- though they do have very similar personalities, but I think that’s just a CLAMP thing.

I think Watanuki is Watanuki, regardless, because think of it- Yuuko was the thing that tied the universes together with her existence. I don’t think there’s a parallel existence of Watanuki, especially after knowing WHAT he is (if you have read the manga you will understand that there is no copy of Watanuki because he in itself is a copy of someone’s existence, or rather shares that existence). I think what really made Blood C so worthwhile to me was that it seemed a lot like Casshern Sins- they both started off somewhat off track (seemingly) and took time to get where they wanted, but once they did, they rocketed off into a very stable series( alas, for Casshern Sins, the ending was really rushed). The atmosphere was excellent in this episode and after reading that interview, you can really tell that Junichi fully intended to mix that ‘boring, mundane usual life’ with something so unexpected to give the perfect result of horror. Now both are intermingling and it’s giving very powerful effects as shown in the past two episodes.

What I’m really glad is that you can go back through this series and catch on the really subtle moments and dialogue that what were once usually tasteless random things, are now essential ‘oh!’ moments where you realize there’s two (or more) things being said. I’m a huge fan of subtlety and I guess that’s why I’m such a passionate fan of this show, and I’m really glad they’re doing stuff like this.

With only four more episodes left, I have no doubts that there will be more than enough time to really get things juiced up and flowing, and enough story to crossover to the movie, as once again, intended. All I can say to the people who thoroughly expressed their distaste for this show and how ‘pointless’ it was is that, well, I told you so, and not many people bothered to listen.

7. Frost says:

I keep watching it for the gore only, skip all the pointless slice-of-boredom scenes, it gives me satisfaction seeing all those generic characters die one after another

And god damn, why censor the best part of the anime? “Oh heres an anime based around gore… Except were not showing you any”, yep, makes total sense

8. mango says:

You may have your opinion just like any other person; however, I do not see the need to slander other anime in the process. Blood-C is no masterpiece to put up on a pillar.

Bakatest Ni is not a show for someone like you who is not a fan as it is a sequel and it actually does work in its own context. It is a comedy & thus the acting is very different than something like Blood-C. Each episode certainly looks & feels more different than Blood-C as well.

I do not dislike Blood-C but it is nowhere near as tight as you describe it.

Uta-pri is cheesy shoujou & knows it so it acts accordingly. Heck, it even tries to be silly to make it more interesting if you ask me! Every character in that is entertaining in their own way. It isn’t trying to be realistic or anything. Same with Twin Angel, it is silliness for the sake of silliness. The characters in Blood-C really don’t make themselves all that likeable. Also, you always talk about character development and there really is very little in this series aside from Saya more or less…

I do not see why you should drag other shows through the mud when they are aiming for something different than what you are comparing them to.

9. furukimono says:

It’s so nice to read someone who gets Blood-C and doesn’t fall into the whining bandwagon (not that there’s any room left there). Thanks for your reviews psgels!

10. jzar says:

Ok so I am going to rant here, sorry about that….

***rant starts***

Did we watch the same episode…it was awesome? How is that so?

The only thing good about the show to date is the fighting and with the over the top censorship taking out the best bits it too is now a big fail. Truly I could almost like the show for its awesome creatures and fights but not this watered down milk.

They won’t show violence, they won’t show nudity, perhaps next they plan to show us a blank screen with bleeps over the voices. C’mon is this for real?! How can you watch this and get anything from it.

How can the main character just stand that with a vacant and blank face and watch her ‘friends’ get killed. It was so unreal and forced.

She’s been killing the damn things every night for weeks. She’s no blushing virgin monster slayer so why is she acting like one?

And the worst part of this is the clear direction its going to . The story does not take place in the real world but in some made up mind game.

So at the end can we now look forward to the tiresome and trite standby of ….wake up little one, it was all in your mind. Just a bad dream. No one was killed but we had fun messing with your head. Bah!

This is not a story it’s fluff and stuff pretending to have a story. They then dish out this fluff like it’s gold and they are the tightest misers on the planet. How much more mud is a viewer supposed to suck up? I have watched anime that tells a better story in the first 10 minutes that this one has told us in 9 full episodes.

I for one will give it a big miss from now on. There are many other shows that have a solid story and art.

****end of rant***

11. notintheface says:

jzar… not getting anything from it… hmmm…

I hate how the general populace thinks we watch anime for violence and nudity, and losers like jzar are just fanning the flames.

12. Cytl says:

The final blow to this series is what jzar said; the resolution of the plot has been pretty much predictable since episode 3 or 4, so all the so called build-up (uninteresting and mundane by the way) has no value. The only good at the beggining was the action, but even the animation of the fight scenes is now of the worst just from this year.
    Nice by the way notintheface, calling people in the internet “losers”. Jzar DID talked about the plot but you decided to focus in just one part of his comment.

13. Snowolf says:

@Jzar:

I don’t know what you guys were expecting when you were watching this show, but it sounds like what you’re looking for is something similar to a pointless plotless show where people’s heads get ripped off and there are naked women around. Blood C is not just a gore show, and if anything, it is not its fault for the censors- I wish people would stop complaining about that and realize that’s a distribution problem. The channel itself decided to censor those scenes, not the show itself. So your complaints there aren’t really going anywhere.

Saya is not a human being. This is a shock to you, I know, but it’s been kind of shown with her reactions to her classmates more than anything in that she is stupid because she is so oblivious to the environment around her. That is why despite her resolve to protect people, people will inevitably end up getting killed, because she is brainwashed as a machine just to kill the Bairns, but has not comprehended why she must do it, or the value of human life. I agree that watching Saya stand there watching her classmates be mercilessly killed was as much of a disappointment as it was a shock (you think she would have learnt by now) but it only adds to the horror factor.

I don’t understand your ‘blushing virgin comment’, this is not Saya from Blood + or the Last Vampire. This is a completely different Saya. People need to stop having expectations that cross over from the sister series when really this is just a parallel spinoff and has (yet) nothing much to do with the other two series.

14. Joojoobees says:

@Snowolf “This is a shock to you, I know, but it’s been kind of shown with her reactions to her classmates more than anything in that she is stupid because she is so oblivious to the environment around her.”

Look at what he said; he skips over all of those scenes. How people can say they skip over half the show AND say that there is no plot is beyond me, but there you have it.

THX to Psgels for pointing out that interview, BTW. I have been enjoying the series so far, and it was interesting to hear from the director on the subject.

15. cheers says:

Wow you are overrating this show way too much. At least your approach towards Hyouge Mono was more tolerable. It’s neither great nor godawful, but all your praises just sound totally delusional.

16. psgels psgels says:

“Will never understand your bias for this, if I didnt know better I would think its a bee-train series LOL”

Ha ha ha. I’ve been thinking that myself, indeed, but there’s one major difference: with Bee-Train, their characterization always rocks in many subtle ways, while in Blood-C, the characterization is deliberately simple, leading to quite some different effects, but also a few problems here and there. The abovementioned lack of character-development being the biggest one for me.

jzar: like others have pointed out: the censorship was just TV-station policies. These problems won’t be there for the DVD-releases. If you want just to watch gore and nudity, go for Shigurui, Freezing, High School of the Dead or perhaps even Kemonozume (not that those shows are bad, of course, but they’re much more focused to delivering just that). With Blood-C, what struked me much more is the context in which it’s placed, where the entire setting is deliberately mundane. The atmosphere is very important in this series, so if thst didn’t work for you, I can understand why you’d be frustrated.

Also, in regards to the claims that Saya just waits for her classmates to be killed off, and how that isn’t realistic, I have two things:
    – First of all, as Snowolf mentioned it has been very much hinted that Saya has a strange concept of the value of human lives, and doesn’t seem to understand that.
    – Second of all: let me ask you, if you saw a random person in danger and you’d have the resources to help him/her out, prevent him/her from getting hurt or potential saving his/her life, would you do it? Or would you just stand motionlessly like everyone else around you? A significant percentage of people bevhaves like the latter. I’ve personally experienced this effect first-hand, and it is very un-settling.

17. Me says:

Saya made a promised to the Elder Bairns to kill all the humans to protect their kinds. She’s now remembering bits by bits cause her dad’s influences and the food(drug) she been consuming are wearing off. So why the hell would she try to protect classmates?!

18. Arisu says:

I’m speculating here but I assume it really isn’t in her nature to protect humans. Being a vampire, her instinct should tell her that their just food. Her only motivations on killing the elder bairns was the promise she made. One of her classmates said to her in the show, how was she be able to smile when two of their friends were currently missing.

This being a Clamp show, I’m reminded of Sakura from TRS, the other girl without memories. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sakura is Saya on this show. That the promise is related to getting her memories back. That explains dog Watanuki’s presence.

19. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

Could you please delete the part about Iorogi being another identity of Kurogane?

20. jzar says:

Interesting comments.

“—-I’m sorry if you think this show is a disappointment, but you are the exact problem with the anime community- a reason why anime quality has continued to decline, because it just caters to these sorts of desires- mindless violence and such. Congratulations. -snowolf”

My only expectations were to enjoy a good story from Clamp. Really, that’s it.

I didn’t make the choice to show gore or mindless violence but the anime has made it part of story they wrote. Since they don’t explain the violence it is mindless, i.e. no reason beyond kill the monsters that eat people. I much prefer a show that makes you think and draws you into it’s world because its so interesting.

Choosing to allow the big white out was very disruptive. The creators could have planned the edits better and or just cut those scenes. They could have then included the deleted scenes in the DVD. Many other shows have done this no problem.

I don’t know the other stories around Saya. Should I need that background to be able to enjoy it or find it lacking?

“With Blood-C, what struked me much more is the context in which it’s placed, where the entire setting is deliberately mundane. The atmosphere is very important in this series, so if thst didn’t work for you, I can understand why you’d be frustrated. –psgels”

I don’t mind the mundane bits, heck I even enjoyed the singing. I do agree it creates great contrasting atmosphere, which is why the censorship was so bothersome. I think this could have been done so much better, they held back too much for too long to really make the story flow.

I can see why you do like the mystery approach but with so few episodes it can so often then feel like a rushed ending, which I find a tad tiresome and formula.

I was really wanting this to be a great anime and I don’t think it works as presented. That for me is the real frustrating part…..waiting to understand what is going on in this world. I am just tired of that style of story telling.

Clamp has a certain reputation because it has made stories that are interesting and entertaining. I just don’t see how this one works as a stand alone story. I will know to expect less from clamp from now on.

“I don’t understand your ‘blushing virgin comment’, this is not Saya from Blood + or the Last Vampire. ”

I was referring only to the show itself. The anime has shown this girl killing the elder barin night after night. She has experience, she has been shown in every episode to be very much a veteran combat fighter— ‘She’s no blushing virgin monster slayer’ refers to this fact.

A mystery is cool, I like figuring things out. Fighting unknown creatures for undefined reasons. Awesome, Great art even better, yet after 9 episodes I feel a bit cheated of story.

21. mango says:

“Mango: sorry, I did not mean to drag these through the mud. I merely tried to explain why I didn’t mind Saya’s character, while I did mind a lot of other shows with stupid characters. Taht part was meant to be entirely personal.”

While apologizing and then still calling the characters stupid kind of negates the apology, as I said, it’s your opinion and your blog. I personally don’t really care for the characters in Blood-C while I enjoy others. To each his own. I just wish you’d learn to phrase things less harshly, but I don’t think many bloggers know how to do that…bleh, don’t mind me…

22. Spike says:

The un-edited episodes air on a different station 1 day after the niconico stream so if you wai a little bit instead of gobbling it up immediately you will get your unedited and not be able to complain about edits.

23. Snowolf says:

@Jzar:

Well, the entire REASON behind the show, or rather the main plot of it, is to see WHY these monsters are here, WHY they are eating humans and what this Covenant means. So I don’t really understand how you’re saying that a.) the violence is mindless when the violence is the mystery of the show, and is connected to the mystery of the plot, and b.) how this show isn’t making you think, because it’s making you think quite hard. Not on a level of Mawaru Penguindrum where there are a lot of hidden allusions and symbolisms, but enough to make you question who’s actually part of the facade here and who to trust. Heck, I’m not even sure if I can trust Watanuki- everything in this show is deceptive, from the setting to the ‘father’ of Saya.

Once again, that is not the show’s problem. That is the network’s problem. I agree that the censors are annoying but there’s nothing you can do about that unless you go and watch it streaming on the unedited channel, or buy the DVDs.

That’s fine if you think the story could be better- I’m sure every story has a weakness, and by no means is Blood C the best show I’ve ever seen, but I’m quite tired of hearing people complain about it for things that don’t really make sense or are just another way of saying “it’s too slow and since it’s not what i expected it must be bad”. No one said that Blood C would be a pure action based show, and ironically, it’s very character based and takes its time, so I don’t see how you find the episodes rushed at all- if anything, the first three episodes were really slow and repetitious (for a reason), but that’s your opinion so.

She has experience, she has been shown in every episode to be very much a veteran combat fighter (…) The story to date hasn’t really explained anything about why Saya does anything. Just extremely tiny hints, which I usually like just fine, but it they didn’t give out enough hints to allow me to understand. Thus her actions make no real sense.

But that’s the entire mystery! You’ll find out, that’s how it works. Once you come to the end, you’ll want to go back and see how it all fits in. Maybe I’m just accustomed to that sort of buildup- for example, in Fringe, it’s the exact same way. It’s obvious that Saya is being manipulated- now, for what, by what, we have no clue as of yet- but we are learning things slowly, and while that may be frustrating for some as they like their answers served on a plate and quickly, I think the pacing is great here. And Saya is NOT a veteran combat fighter- if she was, she wouldn’t get hurt, and she certainly wouldn’t allow other people to die. A veteran combat fighter not only understands the techniques of fighting but the price of a life, and Saya more than anything is just a teenage girl, who is forced to fight these things without understanding why or what she’s exactly supposed to do. She’s going to be confused, in shock, and faulted. She’s not a robotic machine, but she has been raised like one in many aspects- reasons why her relationships with the other classmates are so awkward because she just doesn’t know how to connect with society.

The biggest complaint I have with this show is the lack of character fleshing for the other characters, but with a 12 episode show it’s not too shabby, I’ve seen worse stuff. But yeah, I admit, that definitely could have been improved on, with all those school scenes before episode 6.

24. Obsidian says:

As usual I like the mystery elements of this show the big twist in the episode is that mysterious room and talk of experiments and well the wish being both crucial and out of reach in a way uptil now

what I loved of this episode is the surprise attack but then it cut off which got me irked but that was very realistic to be in a situation like that is quite scary and saya is the only one who realizes what is happening.

but bad points: saya acts silly at times too silly.

secondly: the town seems too quiet even after numerous disappearances which is way too odd.

I don’t mind subtle and enigmatic but this series needs better execution

and yeah the interview explained a lot but in my opinion I think 12 eps can have more and still have subtlety.

I think the action is well and also the elusiveness of characters is to a point good.

25. furukimono says:

Why the hell are losers people still watching this show 8 episodes in when all they can say about it is that they hate pretty much everything it does?

26. Obsidian says:

@ furukimono

stop calling people losers :P Listen some people are fans of the blood franchise so they continue watching it. Others have dropped it.

I am in the middle ground. I like some aspects of the show but hate others.

I see you are liking the show which is good.

there’s nothing wrong with disliking and/or liking it if people give their reasons :)

27. Obsidian says:

I love comment 17 in this list that makes sense cool thinking

but yes I don’t get the hint much of how she values human life (probably I missed something somewhere)

I think that saya’s character is in conflict with her movie self which was somewhat apathetic to human life but this is where then saya is betraying herself by acting so kind and sweet but really the classmates getting killed and she being static was kinda stupid

because a) saya’s dad and she were kinda prepared for it and b) saya after fighting them for so long did not act in the slightest ready she did the same mistake before and so I expected her a bit different this time it’s ok people are dying but saya’s lapses in concentration is not working out. It’s even something apathetic movie saya tried to dodge.

28. furukimono says:

@Obsidian

Apparently you failed to get my point. I didn’t call people losers because they dislike the show, but because they’re wasting(=losing) their time and energy watching something they clearly don’t enjoy just so they can go around and bitch about it. Not what I’d call productive behavior.

29. RollingCamel says:

What’s the point of the censorship?

30. Dalx says:

@RollingCamel
    Um…censor? Really I don’t see more to that and if ir irks you (it irks me) just wait for clean releases, it is not the story’s fault (This goes for everyone listing censor as it’s a storykiller)

I like blood-C and it’s concept but was pretty bored by te first 3 or so episodes but still I’m sticking with it because of the potential that is showing and my faith in CLAMP.

I don’t really understand why people who hated come and rant in Psgels page about how bad it is. He loves it so? Bias is really impossible to supress and it makes us state things as a fact because they are a fact for us. We just do not think alike.

CLAMP, someday you’ll cause another cold war with your stories, they polarize people.

31. M0rg0th says:

I think, the pacing was chosen badly as creating the contrast between everyday mundanity and supernatural became too much of a focus on the mundanity in the early episodes letting it show only one half of the series with the other half seeming rather banal (the hints in the beginning were rather vague and therefore useless for someone watching it for the first time). But the actual structure of this series is having a story but one being told “out of order” so to speak and I’d like the building-up more if it’d have involved more of a gradual revelation, this series is very slow in that regard to reveal parts of its story to the viewer. Having a story that you completely understand only after having you seen everything is fine but I would like Blood-C to be more engaging with its story instead of trying so forceful to keep the viewer from already getting the story at this point.
    Right now I wouldn’t like to call anything in this series pointless since it’s one of these series that depends completely on the final big revelation but I do worry whether this series will be able to do all the explaining that is necessary to make nothing this far pointless.

32. Obsidian says:

@ furukimono

ok, I did misunderstand you a bit :) but as I said some of the ppl who are fans of the Blood franchise are criticizing which is a given to any franchise but yeah if they had not seen blood before and don’t like it at all and not even the concept of the series then they shouldn’t watch it.

But some criticisms are valid but personally I have mixed feelings about this show having seen its predecessors. I like remixes and retellings but this one has both extremely good points and bad points.

33. AidanAK47 says:

Well I was going to jump in here to bash the show but it seems that everyone got here before me.

“Compare that to R-15 or Baka To Test to Shoukanjuu Ni, which were just slurs of bad acting and jokes that didn’t work, with nothing that really caught my attention.”

Yep, Blood-c is a far better comedy that those two.

(Tokizane sees Saya Covered in blood beside monster chopped in half)
    Tokizane: “Are you badly injured?”

Saya:”I will not let anyone else die!”
    (Said after five people died right in front of her and she did nothing)

At this point the shows a joke.

34. M0rg0th says:

Well, the dialogue certainly has its flaws creating these unintentionally funny situations ^^ …
    And Saya’s character doesn’t help either, no matter how much sense it makes within the setting to let her behave like that. When she’s too “inhuman” to bother about stuff like logic or common sense, it still doesn’t change the fact that it makes her silly from a human perspective, there are certainly better ways to portray an inhuman character without deciding that “inhuman” is portrayed best by Saya doing or saying things that a normal human would consider irrational or stupid. She also doesn’t do much to progress the story besides depending upon her flashbacks to explain everything to her and the dog giving her the information via tirelessly asking her the relevant questions. And slaughtering Elder Bairns constantly isn’t really the way to go as far as saving the day is concerned since Saya obviously can’t protect everyone (she also doesn’t really try to save everyone because she is just too “inhuman” to understand that concept) and the town-population surely can’t increase with such a death-ratio. But right now it doesn’t seem like Saya is thinking about changing the situation, she still sticks to her known principles despite beginning to have suspicions about the situation. She will probably become more active only once even she has understood what is going on and at that point we’re probably watching the last episode of the series. Well, at least it should give the finale a sense of tragedy when Saya realizes that she should’ve acted much sooner.

35. fabulous max says:

that singing ugh

and LOL@ the fanboys trying to defend their precious cartoon show and calling people “Losers” hahah!

Customize
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.
Friend
Most of the time they meant no harm, I think it's always about getting recognition. They quickly take them down after I send them a polite email, and I let them save their ego without smearing them on their page.
afgm
(ok maybe a little fault should go to them lol)
afgm
@Friend: That sucks, but its definitely understandable. People can be pretty thoughtless at times (no fault to them of course).
afgm
tiger mask did make it into the upper quartile though, which is surprising
Friend
@afgm I don't have a large internet presence with my work exactly because I've had situations with theft on Pinterest. For work, I just carry USBs with my portfolio pieces in them :/
Friend
@Aramus Heya, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the fell image won't be available openly unless for commercial purposes, but otherwise feel free to contact me in my business email! :)
afgm
ah you know what? I read the title Time Bokan 24 and thought it had 24 votes x)
@afgm: Time Bokan receives 0 vote the last time I checked it. I'm more surprised that people love Haikyuu that much
Such a shame because I enjoy writing it a lot
2 more episodes on Thunderbolt Fantasy and I might break the sites' record (hall of shame really) for covering a show without any comment, haha.
afgm
Also what is Time Bokan and why does it have more votes than 95% of the other anime in the poll haha
afgm
well it's always iffy giving out images without the creator knowing. You can never know where its going to end up. I strongly suggest you contact Friend.
aramus1
@Afgm Sorry, I was the anon. The weird username thing is bugging out. And was going to send it to a friend, did she not want it out there?
afgm
@anon: you better not be thinking about refistributing the image without her consent. youre better off contacting her on her homepage...
@Anon108797, In the comments he mentions that it's an April Fools joke. So there is hope for humanity yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBa44-FIqk Why does this even exist
Can't believe I still haven't read Dragon head or the world is mine yet...I need to fix that.
@afgm Awesome! Is there any way to get the source image though, her portfolio doesn't have it unfortunately.
afgm
the footer has the source. it was made special by her
Aramus
Yo, can anyone give a source on the new wallpaper thing? it looks awesome!
@Mari, no problem. Thanks for for the thanks.
I argee that the fall looks to be pretty weak but it's hard to tell until the season really starts. I have been blindsided by series before.
MariShandy
AidanAK47 and those who helped you, thank you for the season preview. Time to pick the series that I will follow. You make this much easier for me!
#nochin
it reminds me of Durara
afgm
Well Occultic;Nine does have pretty good promotional material, too, and the concept is pretty cool.
I think the majority of our readers are Steins;gate fans seeing as Occultic;Nine is currently in the lead on the poll.
Updated the preview with the more tag so episode posts don't get pushed down to the end of the page.
haha so watch the anime with us then
Too many chapters of both out at the moment for me to marathon/catch up lol
Good choice, Kaiser. Good choice!!
My vote is for drifters and 3-gatsu no lion. Will jump onto the manga where both leave off after.
For reader's info, I've gone ahead and marked this season preview on top page. It deserves to be there for at least few days :). New posts (there's already one) will be under this preview post.
To those waiting on a 91 Days Episode review, tomorrow. I have done my job tonight.

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 91/100

re-zero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-25-3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 25

Well it’s over and what a ride it was. Betelgeuse is defeated, everyone is saved and Subaru gets to confess his love to Emilia to leave the series off on a hopeful note. Only thing that would have made it better is more Rem but let us be frank, there is never enough Rem. I […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 11

This week things escalated pretty quickly. Our helpless MC Shang Bu Huan shots himself in the foot pretty quickly. I already suspected it’s a matter of time before his scam will be exploited by Mie Tian Hai, but I surely never would have guessed it’s that early. Shang Bu Huan, hilariously, is just plain terrible […]

mob-psycho-100-10-2

Mob Psycho 100 – 10

Plenty of action this week as Mob, Terumi and Dimple take on the major members of claw. As far as what happen this episode feels a lot like your standard fare for a shounen anime series. The main group infiltrating an enemy base, split up and encounter the enemies in one on one style battles. […]

orange 11c

orange – 11

Well, this episode is one the most emotionally wrenching orange has put up so far and for me at least this dramatic turn of event is what this show does best. Kakeru’s issue is a fundamental one. So far, the group succeeds in helping him to open up more and enjoying himself bit by bit, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373