Posted by psgels on 1 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

You know how often action series like to set themselves at high schools? You know how often the bad guys just ignore the most perfect targets of high school students? Yeah. This show realized that too. Holy crap that was intense! This is horror! The pacing still was excellent and the portrayal of the cast as ordinary high school students is really paying off now!

I’d also like to direct you to this interview, of the director of Blood-C and the director of Blood+ (and who has been pretty much writing every installment of the franchise). That, combined with this episode took away all of my doubts for this series: this is gonna be awesome.

The interesting thing is that the Junichi Fujisaku fully intended this Saya to be different from the Saya of Blood+ and really intended this series to make use of its creative freedom. And I have to agree that this so far has been an awesome way to expand upon the Blood Franchise. Heck, the director was intentionally planning to make the series END, while still leaving open room for the movie which will be completely different, which is EXACTLY what I’ve been hoping!

As for why I didn’t mind this series in the beginning, even though I have given up on series who started with very bland characters. For one, the execution really helped: for me, Blood-C immediately had a really tight atmosphere, and used its flashbacks combined with its battles really well to build up a sense of urgency for the cast. It puts them in a context and made me interested in what this series would look like when it really fired off. Compare that to R-15 or Baka To Test to Shoukanjuu Ni, which were just slurs of bad acting and jokes that didn’t work, with nothing that really caught my attention.

All in all, I do not think that the characters in this series are badly acted or portrayed, like for example what happened with Uta Prince and Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, which both did try to tell some overall story, but completely lost me on how completely stupid they were. Saya herself may not be smart, but this is on a different league compared to the stupidity of the shows mentioned above. The acting here is restrained, instead of characters trying to act all over the place in the hopes of catching attention. Those are the characters that I find to be the most obnoxious the most often.

Overall I like the way this show did its cross-overs. Interestingly, it’s not the only series to have done that this season, with Blade and all. The best cross-overs can really enhance both shows and add some new things and introspectives, while being excellent stories that are still watchable on their own, no matter whether we’re talking about in-universe cameos or alternative universes. That’s why I’m not a big a fan of the Votoms alternative movies: they felt rather random and didn’t seem to add much depth to the Votoms franchise and they weren’t really interesting to watch. Same for the Precure All-Stars movies: I found them to be rather boring and they didn’t really add anything significant to Heartcatch Precure.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Will says:

And that marks the hat trick of Awesome ratings. I suppose it was an awesome week for anime.

2. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

eeeeh NO! Iorogi is NOT another version of Kurogane! Its just the same seiyuu and they made fun of it! If you had read the Kobato manga you would now that!

3. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

I don’t want to sound rude, but it’s really irritating when you state stuff like it’s a fact, and in reality its just plain wrong.

4. Kits says:

Baka test and R-15 try be diferent every episode, this is serie is the same thing every week, random school and random battle, this is stupid in the sense is to repetitive and with don’t met to well the others characters, Uta prince a less with know well, Saya is boring, don’t have any carism. you just like be imparcial with Clamp

5. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

oh and of course DogWata is the same as holicWata because he owns a shop that fills wishes… ^^;;;
    Your wish-reference to Kobato doesn’t make any sense, too, because the wish dind’t link to any other CLAMP-series, the wish wasn’t made in the holicshop.

As for the episode: why did Saya AGAIN wait until many people were slaughtered before doing something? I hope this isn’t just lazy writing.
    But nonetheless i liked the second half of the episode, it was intense. (damn censoring)

6. Snowolf says:

Iorogi is not another version of Kurogane, not that I think- though they do have very similar personalities, but I think that’s just a CLAMP thing.

I think Watanuki is Watanuki, regardless, because think of it- Yuuko was the thing that tied the universes together with her existence. I don’t think there’s a parallel existence of Watanuki, especially after knowing WHAT he is (if you have read the manga you will understand that there is no copy of Watanuki because he in itself is a copy of someone’s existence, or rather shares that existence). I think what really made Blood C so worthwhile to me was that it seemed a lot like Casshern Sins- they both started off somewhat off track (seemingly) and took time to get where they wanted, but once they did, they rocketed off into a very stable series( alas, for Casshern Sins, the ending was really rushed). The atmosphere was excellent in this episode and after reading that interview, you can really tell that Junichi fully intended to mix that ‘boring, mundane usual life’ with something so unexpected to give the perfect result of horror. Now both are intermingling and it’s giving very powerful effects as shown in the past two episodes.

What I’m really glad is that you can go back through this series and catch on the really subtle moments and dialogue that what were once usually tasteless random things, are now essential ‘oh!’ moments where you realize there’s two (or more) things being said. I’m a huge fan of subtlety and I guess that’s why I’m such a passionate fan of this show, and I’m really glad they’re doing stuff like this.

With only four more episodes left, I have no doubts that there will be more than enough time to really get things juiced up and flowing, and enough story to crossover to the movie, as once again, intended. All I can say to the people who thoroughly expressed their distaste for this show and how ‘pointless’ it was is that, well, I told you so, and not many people bothered to listen.

7. Frost says:

I keep watching it for the gore only, skip all the pointless slice-of-boredom scenes, it gives me satisfaction seeing all those generic characters die one after another

And god damn, why censor the best part of the anime? “Oh heres an anime based around gore… Except were not showing you any”, yep, makes total sense

8. mango says:

You may have your opinion just like any other person; however, I do not see the need to slander other anime in the process. Blood-C is no masterpiece to put up on a pillar.

Bakatest Ni is not a show for someone like you who is not a fan as it is a sequel and it actually does work in its own context. It is a comedy & thus the acting is very different than something like Blood-C. Each episode certainly looks & feels more different than Blood-C as well.

I do not dislike Blood-C but it is nowhere near as tight as you describe it.

Uta-pri is cheesy shoujou & knows it so it acts accordingly. Heck, it even tries to be silly to make it more interesting if you ask me! Every character in that is entertaining in their own way. It isn’t trying to be realistic or anything. Same with Twin Angel, it is silliness for the sake of silliness. The characters in Blood-C really don’t make themselves all that likeable. Also, you always talk about character development and there really is very little in this series aside from Saya more or less…

I do not see why you should drag other shows through the mud when they are aiming for something different than what you are comparing them to.

9. furukimono says:

It’s so nice to read someone who gets Blood-C and doesn’t fall into the whining bandwagon (not that there’s any room left there). Thanks for your reviews psgels!

10. jzar says:

Ok so I am going to rant here, sorry about that….

***rant starts***

Did we watch the same episode…it was awesome? How is that so?

The only thing good about the show to date is the fighting and with the over the top censorship taking out the best bits it too is now a big fail. Truly I could almost like the show for its awesome creatures and fights but not this watered down milk.

They won’t show violence, they won’t show nudity, perhaps next they plan to show us a blank screen with bleeps over the voices. C’mon is this for real?! How can you watch this and get anything from it.

How can the main character just stand that with a vacant and blank face and watch her ‘friends’ get killed. It was so unreal and forced.

She’s been killing the damn things every night for weeks. She’s no blushing virgin monster slayer so why is she acting like one?

And the worst part of this is the clear direction its going to . The story does not take place in the real world but in some made up mind game.

So at the end can we now look forward to the tiresome and trite standby of ….wake up little one, it was all in your mind. Just a bad dream. No one was killed but we had fun messing with your head. Bah!

This is not a story it’s fluff and stuff pretending to have a story. They then dish out this fluff like it’s gold and they are the tightest misers on the planet. How much more mud is a viewer supposed to suck up? I have watched anime that tells a better story in the first 10 minutes that this one has told us in 9 full episodes.

I for one will give it a big miss from now on. There are many other shows that have a solid story and art.

****end of rant***

11. notintheface says:

jzar… not getting anything from it… hmmm…

I hate how the general populace thinks we watch anime for violence and nudity, and losers like jzar are just fanning the flames.

12. Cytl says:

The final blow to this series is what jzar said; the resolution of the plot has been pretty much predictable since episode 3 or 4, so all the so called build-up (uninteresting and mundane by the way) has no value. The only good at the beggining was the action, but even the animation of the fight scenes is now of the worst just from this year.
    Nice by the way notintheface, calling people in the internet “losers”. Jzar DID talked about the plot but you decided to focus in just one part of his comment.

13. Snowolf says:

@Jzar:

I don’t know what you guys were expecting when you were watching this show, but it sounds like what you’re looking for is something similar to a pointless plotless show where people’s heads get ripped off and there are naked women around. Blood C is not just a gore show, and if anything, it is not its fault for the censors- I wish people would stop complaining about that and realize that’s a distribution problem. The channel itself decided to censor those scenes, not the show itself. So your complaints there aren’t really going anywhere.

Saya is not a human being. This is a shock to you, I know, but it’s been kind of shown with her reactions to her classmates more than anything in that she is stupid because she is so oblivious to the environment around her. That is why despite her resolve to protect people, people will inevitably end up getting killed, because she is brainwashed as a machine just to kill the Bairns, but has not comprehended why she must do it, or the value of human life. I agree that watching Saya stand there watching her classmates be mercilessly killed was as much of a disappointment as it was a shock (you think she would have learnt by now) but it only adds to the horror factor.

I don’t understand your ‘blushing virgin comment’, this is not Saya from Blood + or the Last Vampire. This is a completely different Saya. People need to stop having expectations that cross over from the sister series when really this is just a parallel spinoff and has (yet) nothing much to do with the other two series.

14. Joojoobees says:

@Snowolf “This is a shock to you, I know, but it’s been kind of shown with her reactions to her classmates more than anything in that she is stupid because she is so oblivious to the environment around her.”

Look at what he said; he skips over all of those scenes. How people can say they skip over half the show AND say that there is no plot is beyond me, but there you have it.

THX to Psgels for pointing out that interview, BTW. I have been enjoying the series so far, and it was interesting to hear from the director on the subject.

15. cheers says:

Wow you are overrating this show way too much. At least your approach towards Hyouge Mono was more tolerable. It’s neither great nor godawful, but all your praises just sound totally delusional.

16. psgels psgels says:

“Will never understand your bias for this, if I didnt know better I would think its a bee-train series LOL”

Ha ha ha. I’ve been thinking that myself, indeed, but there’s one major difference: with Bee-Train, their characterization always rocks in many subtle ways, while in Blood-C, the characterization is deliberately simple, leading to quite some different effects, but also a few problems here and there. The abovementioned lack of character-development being the biggest one for me.

jzar: like others have pointed out: the censorship was just TV-station policies. These problems won’t be there for the DVD-releases. If you want just to watch gore and nudity, go for Shigurui, Freezing, High School of the Dead or perhaps even Kemonozume (not that those shows are bad, of course, but they’re much more focused to delivering just that). With Blood-C, what struked me much more is the context in which it’s placed, where the entire setting is deliberately mundane. The atmosphere is very important in this series, so if thst didn’t work for you, I can understand why you’d be frustrated.

Also, in regards to the claims that Saya just waits for her classmates to be killed off, and how that isn’t realistic, I have two things:
    – First of all, as Snowolf mentioned it has been very much hinted that Saya has a strange concept of the value of human lives, and doesn’t seem to understand that.
    – Second of all: let me ask you, if you saw a random person in danger and you’d have the resources to help him/her out, prevent him/her from getting hurt or potential saving his/her life, would you do it? Or would you just stand motionlessly like everyone else around you? A significant percentage of people bevhaves like the latter. I’ve personally experienced this effect first-hand, and it is very un-settling.

17. Me says:

Saya made a promised to the Elder Bairns to kill all the humans to protect their kinds. She’s now remembering bits by bits cause her dad’s influences and the food(drug) she been consuming are wearing off. So why the hell would she try to protect classmates?!

18. Arisu says:

I’m speculating here but I assume it really isn’t in her nature to protect humans. Being a vampire, her instinct should tell her that their just food. Her only motivations on killing the elder bairns was the promise she made. One of her classmates said to her in the show, how was she be able to smile when two of their friends were currently missing.

This being a Clamp show, I’m reminded of Sakura from TRS, the other girl without memories. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sakura is Saya on this show. That the promise is related to getting her memories back. That explains dog Watanuki’s presence.

19. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

Could you please delete the part about Iorogi being another identity of Kurogane?

20. jzar says:

Interesting comments.

“—-I’m sorry if you think this show is a disappointment, but you are the exact problem with the anime community- a reason why anime quality has continued to decline, because it just caters to these sorts of desires- mindless violence and such. Congratulations. -snowolf”

My only expectations were to enjoy a good story from Clamp. Really, that’s it.

I didn’t make the choice to show gore or mindless violence but the anime has made it part of story they wrote. Since they don’t explain the violence it is mindless, i.e. no reason beyond kill the monsters that eat people. I much prefer a show that makes you think and draws you into it’s world because its so interesting.

Choosing to allow the big white out was very disruptive. The creators could have planned the edits better and or just cut those scenes. They could have then included the deleted scenes in the DVD. Many other shows have done this no problem.

I don’t know the other stories around Saya. Should I need that background to be able to enjoy it or find it lacking?

“With Blood-C, what struked me much more is the context in which it’s placed, where the entire setting is deliberately mundane. The atmosphere is very important in this series, so if thst didn’t work for you, I can understand why you’d be frustrated. –psgels”

I don’t mind the mundane bits, heck I even enjoyed the singing. I do agree it creates great contrasting atmosphere, which is why the censorship was so bothersome. I think this could have been done so much better, they held back too much for too long to really make the story flow.

I can see why you do like the mystery approach but with so few episodes it can so often then feel like a rushed ending, which I find a tad tiresome and formula.

I was really wanting this to be a great anime and I don’t think it works as presented. That for me is the real frustrating part…..waiting to understand what is going on in this world. I am just tired of that style of story telling.

Clamp has a certain reputation because it has made stories that are interesting and entertaining. I just don’t see how this one works as a stand alone story. I will know to expect less from clamp from now on.

“I don’t understand your ‘blushing virgin comment’, this is not Saya from Blood + or the Last Vampire. ”

I was referring only to the show itself. The anime has shown this girl killing the elder barin night after night. She has experience, she has been shown in every episode to be very much a veteran combat fighter— ‘She’s no blushing virgin monster slayer’ refers to this fact.

A mystery is cool, I like figuring things out. Fighting unknown creatures for undefined reasons. Awesome, Great art even better, yet after 9 episodes I feel a bit cheated of story.

21. mango says:

“Mango: sorry, I did not mean to drag these through the mud. I merely tried to explain why I didn’t mind Saya’s character, while I did mind a lot of other shows with stupid characters. Taht part was meant to be entirely personal.”

While apologizing and then still calling the characters stupid kind of negates the apology, as I said, it’s your opinion and your blog. I personally don’t really care for the characters in Blood-C while I enjoy others. To each his own. I just wish you’d learn to phrase things less harshly, but I don’t think many bloggers know how to do that…bleh, don’t mind me…

22. Spike says:

The un-edited episodes air on a different station 1 day after the niconico stream so if you wai a little bit instead of gobbling it up immediately you will get your unedited and not be able to complain about edits.

23. Snowolf says:

@Jzar:

Well, the entire REASON behind the show, or rather the main plot of it, is to see WHY these monsters are here, WHY they are eating humans and what this Covenant means. So I don’t really understand how you’re saying that a.) the violence is mindless when the violence is the mystery of the show, and is connected to the mystery of the plot, and b.) how this show isn’t making you think, because it’s making you think quite hard. Not on a level of Mawaru Penguindrum where there are a lot of hidden allusions and symbolisms, but enough to make you question who’s actually part of the facade here and who to trust. Heck, I’m not even sure if I can trust Watanuki- everything in this show is deceptive, from the setting to the ‘father’ of Saya.

Once again, that is not the show’s problem. That is the network’s problem. I agree that the censors are annoying but there’s nothing you can do about that unless you go and watch it streaming on the unedited channel, or buy the DVDs.

That’s fine if you think the story could be better- I’m sure every story has a weakness, and by no means is Blood C the best show I’ve ever seen, but I’m quite tired of hearing people complain about it for things that don’t really make sense or are just another way of saying “it’s too slow and since it’s not what i expected it must be bad”. No one said that Blood C would be a pure action based show, and ironically, it’s very character based and takes its time, so I don’t see how you find the episodes rushed at all- if anything, the first three episodes were really slow and repetitious (for a reason), but that’s your opinion so.

She has experience, she has been shown in every episode to be very much a veteran combat fighter (…) The story to date hasn’t really explained anything about why Saya does anything. Just extremely tiny hints, which I usually like just fine, but it they didn’t give out enough hints to allow me to understand. Thus her actions make no real sense.

But that’s the entire mystery! You’ll find out, that’s how it works. Once you come to the end, you’ll want to go back and see how it all fits in. Maybe I’m just accustomed to that sort of buildup- for example, in Fringe, it’s the exact same way. It’s obvious that Saya is being manipulated- now, for what, by what, we have no clue as of yet- but we are learning things slowly, and while that may be frustrating for some as they like their answers served on a plate and quickly, I think the pacing is great here. And Saya is NOT a veteran combat fighter- if she was, she wouldn’t get hurt, and she certainly wouldn’t allow other people to die. A veteran combat fighter not only understands the techniques of fighting but the price of a life, and Saya more than anything is just a teenage girl, who is forced to fight these things without understanding why or what she’s exactly supposed to do. She’s going to be confused, in shock, and faulted. She’s not a robotic machine, but she has been raised like one in many aspects- reasons why her relationships with the other classmates are so awkward because she just doesn’t know how to connect with society.

The biggest complaint I have with this show is the lack of character fleshing for the other characters, but with a 12 episode show it’s not too shabby, I’ve seen worse stuff. But yeah, I admit, that definitely could have been improved on, with all those school scenes before episode 6.

24. Obsidian says:

As usual I like the mystery elements of this show the big twist in the episode is that mysterious room and talk of experiments and well the wish being both crucial and out of reach in a way uptil now

what I loved of this episode is the surprise attack but then it cut off which got me irked but that was very realistic to be in a situation like that is quite scary and saya is the only one who realizes what is happening.

but bad points: saya acts silly at times too silly.

secondly: the town seems too quiet even after numerous disappearances which is way too odd.

I don’t mind subtle and enigmatic but this series needs better execution

and yeah the interview explained a lot but in my opinion I think 12 eps can have more and still have subtlety.

I think the action is well and also the elusiveness of characters is to a point good.

25. furukimono says:

Why the hell are losers people still watching this show 8 episodes in when all they can say about it is that they hate pretty much everything it does?

26. Obsidian says:

@ furukimono

stop calling people losers :P Listen some people are fans of the blood franchise so they continue watching it. Others have dropped it.

I am in the middle ground. I like some aspects of the show but hate others.

I see you are liking the show which is good.

there’s nothing wrong with disliking and/or liking it if people give their reasons :)

27. Obsidian says:

I love comment 17 in this list that makes sense cool thinking

but yes I don’t get the hint much of how she values human life (probably I missed something somewhere)

I think that saya’s character is in conflict with her movie self which was somewhat apathetic to human life but this is where then saya is betraying herself by acting so kind and sweet but really the classmates getting killed and she being static was kinda stupid

because a) saya’s dad and she were kinda prepared for it and b) saya after fighting them for so long did not act in the slightest ready she did the same mistake before and so I expected her a bit different this time it’s ok people are dying but saya’s lapses in concentration is not working out. It’s even something apathetic movie saya tried to dodge.

28. furukimono says:

@Obsidian

Apparently you failed to get my point. I didn’t call people losers because they dislike the show, but because they’re wasting(=losing) their time and energy watching something they clearly don’t enjoy just so they can go around and bitch about it. Not what I’d call productive behavior.

29. RollingCamel says:

What’s the point of the censorship?

30. Dalx says:

@RollingCamel
    Um…censor? Really I don’t see more to that and if ir irks you (it irks me) just wait for clean releases, it is not the story’s fault (This goes for everyone listing censor as it’s a storykiller)

I like blood-C and it’s concept but was pretty bored by te first 3 or so episodes but still I’m sticking with it because of the potential that is showing and my faith in CLAMP.

I don’t really understand why people who hated come and rant in Psgels page about how bad it is. He loves it so? Bias is really impossible to supress and it makes us state things as a fact because they are a fact for us. We just do not think alike.

CLAMP, someday you’ll cause another cold war with your stories, they polarize people.

31. M0rg0th says:

I think, the pacing was chosen badly as creating the contrast between everyday mundanity and supernatural became too much of a focus on the mundanity in the early episodes letting it show only one half of the series with the other half seeming rather banal (the hints in the beginning were rather vague and therefore useless for someone watching it for the first time). But the actual structure of this series is having a story but one being told “out of order” so to speak and I’d like the building-up more if it’d have involved more of a gradual revelation, this series is very slow in that regard to reveal parts of its story to the viewer. Having a story that you completely understand only after having you seen everything is fine but I would like Blood-C to be more engaging with its story instead of trying so forceful to keep the viewer from already getting the story at this point.
    Right now I wouldn’t like to call anything in this series pointless since it’s one of these series that depends completely on the final big revelation but I do worry whether this series will be able to do all the explaining that is necessary to make nothing this far pointless.

32. Obsidian says:

@ furukimono

ok, I did misunderstand you a bit :) but as I said some of the ppl who are fans of the Blood franchise are criticizing which is a given to any franchise but yeah if they had not seen blood before and don’t like it at all and not even the concept of the series then they shouldn’t watch it.

But some criticisms are valid but personally I have mixed feelings about this show having seen its predecessors. I like remixes and retellings but this one has both extremely good points and bad points.

33. AidanAK47 says:

Well I was going to jump in here to bash the show but it seems that everyone got here before me.

“Compare that to R-15 or Baka To Test to Shoukanjuu Ni, which were just slurs of bad acting and jokes that didn’t work, with nothing that really caught my attention.”

Yep, Blood-c is a far better comedy that those two.

(Tokizane sees Saya Covered in blood beside monster chopped in half)
    Tokizane: “Are you badly injured?”

Saya:”I will not let anyone else die!”
    (Said after five people died right in front of her and she did nothing)

At this point the shows a joke.

34. M0rg0th says:

Well, the dialogue certainly has its flaws creating these unintentionally funny situations ^^ …
    And Saya’s character doesn’t help either, no matter how much sense it makes within the setting to let her behave like that. When she’s too “inhuman” to bother about stuff like logic or common sense, it still doesn’t change the fact that it makes her silly from a human perspective, there are certainly better ways to portray an inhuman character without deciding that “inhuman” is portrayed best by Saya doing or saying things that a normal human would consider irrational or stupid. She also doesn’t do much to progress the story besides depending upon her flashbacks to explain everything to her and the dog giving her the information via tirelessly asking her the relevant questions. And slaughtering Elder Bairns constantly isn’t really the way to go as far as saving the day is concerned since Saya obviously can’t protect everyone (she also doesn’t really try to save everyone because she is just too “inhuman” to understand that concept) and the town-population surely can’t increase with such a death-ratio. But right now it doesn’t seem like Saya is thinking about changing the situation, she still sticks to her known principles despite beginning to have suspicions about the situation. She will probably become more active only once even she has understood what is going on and at that point we’re probably watching the last episode of the series. Well, at least it should give the finale a sense of tragedy when Saya realizes that she should’ve acted much sooner.

35. fabulous max says:

that singing ugh

and LOL@ the fanboys trying to defend their precious cartoon show and calling people “Losers” hahah!

Customize
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.
Bam
@K-off: I thought of a combined post, but my OCD wouldn't allow a skip in the episodic order of the reviews.

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]