Posted by psgels on 1 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

You know how often action series like to set themselves at high schools? You know how often the bad guys just ignore the most perfect targets of high school students? Yeah. This show realized that too. Holy crap that was intense! This is horror! The pacing still was excellent and the portrayal of the cast as ordinary high school students is really paying off now!

I’d also like to direct you to this interview, of the director of Blood-C and the director of Blood+ (and who has been pretty much writing every installment of the franchise). That, combined with this episode took away all of my doubts for this series: this is gonna be awesome.

The interesting thing is that the Junichi Fujisaku fully intended this Saya to be different from the Saya of Blood+ and really intended this series to make use of its creative freedom. And I have to agree that this so far has been an awesome way to expand upon the Blood Franchise. Heck, the director was intentionally planning to make the series END, while still leaving open room for the movie which will be completely different, which is EXACTLY what I’ve been hoping!

As for why I didn’t mind this series in the beginning, even though I have given up on series who started with very bland characters. For one, the execution really helped: for me, Blood-C immediately had a really tight atmosphere, and used its flashbacks combined with its battles really well to build up a sense of urgency for the cast. It puts them in a context and made me interested in what this series would look like when it really fired off. Compare that to R-15 or Baka To Test to Shoukanjuu Ni, which were just slurs of bad acting and jokes that didn’t work, with nothing that really caught my attention.

All in all, I do not think that the characters in this series are badly acted or portrayed, like for example what happened with Uta Prince and Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, which both did try to tell some overall story, but completely lost me on how completely stupid they were. Saya herself may not be smart, but this is on a different league compared to the stupidity of the shows mentioned above. The acting here is restrained, instead of characters trying to act all over the place in the hopes of catching attention. Those are the characters that I find to be the most obnoxious the most often.

Overall I like the way this show did its cross-overs. Interestingly, it’s not the only series to have done that this season, with Blade and all. The best cross-overs can really enhance both shows and add some new things and introspectives, while being excellent stories that are still watchable on their own, no matter whether we’re talking about in-universe cameos or alternative universes. That’s why I’m not a big a fan of the Votoms alternative movies: they felt rather random and didn’t seem to add much depth to the Votoms franchise and they weren’t really interesting to watch. Same for the Precure All-Stars movies: I found them to be rather boring and they didn’t really add anything significant to Heartcatch Precure.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Will says:

And that marks the hat trick of Awesome ratings. I suppose it was an awesome week for anime.

2. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

eeeeh NO! Iorogi is NOT another version of Kurogane! Its just the same seiyuu and they made fun of it! If you had read the Kobato manga you would now that!

3. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

I don’t want to sound rude, but it’s really irritating when you state stuff like it’s a fact, and in reality its just plain wrong.

4. Kits says:

Baka test and R-15 try be diferent every episode, this is serie is the same thing every week, random school and random battle, this is stupid in the sense is to repetitive and with don’t met to well the others characters, Uta prince a less with know well, Saya is boring, don’t have any carism. you just like be imparcial with Clamp

5. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

oh and of course DogWata is the same as holicWata because he owns a shop that fills wishes… ^^;;;
    Your wish-reference to Kobato doesn’t make any sense, too, because the wish dind’t link to any other CLAMP-series, the wish wasn’t made in the holicshop.

As for the episode: why did Saya AGAIN wait until many people were slaughtered before doing something? I hope this isn’t just lazy writing.
    But nonetheless i liked the second half of the episode, it was intense. (damn censoring)

6. Snowolf says:

Iorogi is not another version of Kurogane, not that I think- though they do have very similar personalities, but I think that’s just a CLAMP thing.

I think Watanuki is Watanuki, regardless, because think of it- Yuuko was the thing that tied the universes together with her existence. I don’t think there’s a parallel existence of Watanuki, especially after knowing WHAT he is (if you have read the manga you will understand that there is no copy of Watanuki because he in itself is a copy of someone’s existence, or rather shares that existence). I think what really made Blood C so worthwhile to me was that it seemed a lot like Casshern Sins- they both started off somewhat off track (seemingly) and took time to get where they wanted, but once they did, they rocketed off into a very stable series( alas, for Casshern Sins, the ending was really rushed). The atmosphere was excellent in this episode and after reading that interview, you can really tell that Junichi fully intended to mix that ‘boring, mundane usual life’ with something so unexpected to give the perfect result of horror. Now both are intermingling and it’s giving very powerful effects as shown in the past two episodes.

What I’m really glad is that you can go back through this series and catch on the really subtle moments and dialogue that what were once usually tasteless random things, are now essential ‘oh!’ moments where you realize there’s two (or more) things being said. I’m a huge fan of subtlety and I guess that’s why I’m such a passionate fan of this show, and I’m really glad they’re doing stuff like this.

With only four more episodes left, I have no doubts that there will be more than enough time to really get things juiced up and flowing, and enough story to crossover to the movie, as once again, intended. All I can say to the people who thoroughly expressed their distaste for this show and how ‘pointless’ it was is that, well, I told you so, and not many people bothered to listen.

7. Frost says:

I keep watching it for the gore only, skip all the pointless slice-of-boredom scenes, it gives me satisfaction seeing all those generic characters die one after another

And god damn, why censor the best part of the anime? “Oh heres an anime based around gore… Except were not showing you any”, yep, makes total sense

8. mango says:

You may have your opinion just like any other person; however, I do not see the need to slander other anime in the process. Blood-C is no masterpiece to put up on a pillar.

Bakatest Ni is not a show for someone like you who is not a fan as it is a sequel and it actually does work in its own context. It is a comedy & thus the acting is very different than something like Blood-C. Each episode certainly looks & feels more different than Blood-C as well.

I do not dislike Blood-C but it is nowhere near as tight as you describe it.

Uta-pri is cheesy shoujou & knows it so it acts accordingly. Heck, it even tries to be silly to make it more interesting if you ask me! Every character in that is entertaining in their own way. It isn’t trying to be realistic or anything. Same with Twin Angel, it is silliness for the sake of silliness. The characters in Blood-C really don’t make themselves all that likeable. Also, you always talk about character development and there really is very little in this series aside from Saya more or less…

I do not see why you should drag other shows through the mud when they are aiming for something different than what you are comparing them to.

9. furukimono says:

It’s so nice to read someone who gets Blood-C and doesn’t fall into the whining bandwagon (not that there’s any room left there). Thanks for your reviews psgels!

10. jzar says:

Ok so I am going to rant here, sorry about that….

***rant starts***

Did we watch the same episode…it was awesome? How is that so?

The only thing good about the show to date is the fighting and with the over the top censorship taking out the best bits it too is now a big fail. Truly I could almost like the show for its awesome creatures and fights but not this watered down milk.

They won’t show violence, they won’t show nudity, perhaps next they plan to show us a blank screen with bleeps over the voices. C’mon is this for real?! How can you watch this and get anything from it.

How can the main character just stand that with a vacant and blank face and watch her ‘friends’ get killed. It was so unreal and forced.

She’s been killing the damn things every night for weeks. She’s no blushing virgin monster slayer so why is she acting like one?

And the worst part of this is the clear direction its going to . The story does not take place in the real world but in some made up mind game.

So at the end can we now look forward to the tiresome and trite standby of ….wake up little one, it was all in your mind. Just a bad dream. No one was killed but we had fun messing with your head. Bah!

This is not a story it’s fluff and stuff pretending to have a story. They then dish out this fluff like it’s gold and they are the tightest misers on the planet. How much more mud is a viewer supposed to suck up? I have watched anime that tells a better story in the first 10 minutes that this one has told us in 9 full episodes.

I for one will give it a big miss from now on. There are many other shows that have a solid story and art.

****end of rant***

11. notintheface says:

jzar… not getting anything from it… hmmm…

I hate how the general populace thinks we watch anime for violence and nudity, and losers like jzar are just fanning the flames.

12. Cytl says:

The final blow to this series is what jzar said; the resolution of the plot has been pretty much predictable since episode 3 or 4, so all the so called build-up (uninteresting and mundane by the way) has no value. The only good at the beggining was the action, but even the animation of the fight scenes is now of the worst just from this year.
    Nice by the way notintheface, calling people in the internet “losers”. Jzar DID talked about the plot but you decided to focus in just one part of his comment.

13. Snowolf says:

@Jzar:

I don’t know what you guys were expecting when you were watching this show, but it sounds like what you’re looking for is something similar to a pointless plotless show where people’s heads get ripped off and there are naked women around. Blood C is not just a gore show, and if anything, it is not its fault for the censors- I wish people would stop complaining about that and realize that’s a distribution problem. The channel itself decided to censor those scenes, not the show itself. So your complaints there aren’t really going anywhere.

Saya is not a human being. This is a shock to you, I know, but it’s been kind of shown with her reactions to her classmates more than anything in that she is stupid because she is so oblivious to the environment around her. That is why despite her resolve to protect people, people will inevitably end up getting killed, because she is brainwashed as a machine just to kill the Bairns, but has not comprehended why she must do it, or the value of human life. I agree that watching Saya stand there watching her classmates be mercilessly killed was as much of a disappointment as it was a shock (you think she would have learnt by now) but it only adds to the horror factor.

I don’t understand your ‘blushing virgin comment’, this is not Saya from Blood + or the Last Vampire. This is a completely different Saya. People need to stop having expectations that cross over from the sister series when really this is just a parallel spinoff and has (yet) nothing much to do with the other two series.

14. Joojoobees says:

@Snowolf “This is a shock to you, I know, but it’s been kind of shown with her reactions to her classmates more than anything in that she is stupid because she is so oblivious to the environment around her.”

Look at what he said; he skips over all of those scenes. How people can say they skip over half the show AND say that there is no plot is beyond me, but there you have it.

THX to Psgels for pointing out that interview, BTW. I have been enjoying the series so far, and it was interesting to hear from the director on the subject.

15. cheers says:

Wow you are overrating this show way too much. At least your approach towards Hyouge Mono was more tolerable. It’s neither great nor godawful, but all your praises just sound totally delusional.

16. psgels psgels says:

“Will never understand your bias for this, if I didnt know better I would think its a bee-train series LOL”

Ha ha ha. I’ve been thinking that myself, indeed, but there’s one major difference: with Bee-Train, their characterization always rocks in many subtle ways, while in Blood-C, the characterization is deliberately simple, leading to quite some different effects, but also a few problems here and there. The abovementioned lack of character-development being the biggest one for me.

jzar: like others have pointed out: the censorship was just TV-station policies. These problems won’t be there for the DVD-releases. If you want just to watch gore and nudity, go for Shigurui, Freezing, High School of the Dead or perhaps even Kemonozume (not that those shows are bad, of course, but they’re much more focused to delivering just that). With Blood-C, what struked me much more is the context in which it’s placed, where the entire setting is deliberately mundane. The atmosphere is very important in this series, so if thst didn’t work for you, I can understand why you’d be frustrated.

Also, in regards to the claims that Saya just waits for her classmates to be killed off, and how that isn’t realistic, I have two things:
    – First of all, as Snowolf mentioned it has been very much hinted that Saya has a strange concept of the value of human lives, and doesn’t seem to understand that.
    – Second of all: let me ask you, if you saw a random person in danger and you’d have the resources to help him/her out, prevent him/her from getting hurt or potential saving his/her life, would you do it? Or would you just stand motionlessly like everyone else around you? A significant percentage of people bevhaves like the latter. I’ve personally experienced this effect first-hand, and it is very un-settling.

17. Me says:

Saya made a promised to the Elder Bairns to kill all the humans to protect their kinds. She’s now remembering bits by bits cause her dad’s influences and the food(drug) she been consuming are wearing off. So why the hell would she try to protect classmates?!

18. Arisu says:

I’m speculating here but I assume it really isn’t in her nature to protect humans. Being a vampire, her instinct should tell her that their just food. Her only motivations on killing the elder bairns was the promise she made. One of her classmates said to her in the show, how was she be able to smile when two of their friends were currently missing.

This being a Clamp show, I’m reminded of Sakura from TRS, the other girl without memories. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sakura is Saya on this show. That the promise is related to getting her memories back. That explains dog Watanuki’s presence.

19. Mi-Mi-Mikuru says:

Could you please delete the part about Iorogi being another identity of Kurogane?

20. jzar says:

Interesting comments.

“—-I’m sorry if you think this show is a disappointment, but you are the exact problem with the anime community- a reason why anime quality has continued to decline, because it just caters to these sorts of desires- mindless violence and such. Congratulations. -snowolf”

My only expectations were to enjoy a good story from Clamp. Really, that’s it.

I didn’t make the choice to show gore or mindless violence but the anime has made it part of story they wrote. Since they don’t explain the violence it is mindless, i.e. no reason beyond kill the monsters that eat people. I much prefer a show that makes you think and draws you into it’s world because its so interesting.

Choosing to allow the big white out was very disruptive. The creators could have planned the edits better and or just cut those scenes. They could have then included the deleted scenes in the DVD. Many other shows have done this no problem.

I don’t know the other stories around Saya. Should I need that background to be able to enjoy it or find it lacking?

“With Blood-C, what struked me much more is the context in which it’s placed, where the entire setting is deliberately mundane. The atmosphere is very important in this series, so if thst didn’t work for you, I can understand why you’d be frustrated. –psgels”

I don’t mind the mundane bits, heck I even enjoyed the singing. I do agree it creates great contrasting atmosphere, which is why the censorship was so bothersome. I think this could have been done so much better, they held back too much for too long to really make the story flow.

I can see why you do like the mystery approach but with so few episodes it can so often then feel like a rushed ending, which I find a tad tiresome and formula.

I was really wanting this to be a great anime and I don’t think it works as presented. That for me is the real frustrating part…..waiting to understand what is going on in this world. I am just tired of that style of story telling.

Clamp has a certain reputation because it has made stories that are interesting and entertaining. I just don’t see how this one works as a stand alone story. I will know to expect less from clamp from now on.

“I don’t understand your ‘blushing virgin comment’, this is not Saya from Blood + or the Last Vampire. ”

I was referring only to the show itself. The anime has shown this girl killing the elder barin night after night. She has experience, she has been shown in every episode to be very much a veteran combat fighter— ‘She’s no blushing virgin monster slayer’ refers to this fact.

A mystery is cool, I like figuring things out. Fighting unknown creatures for undefined reasons. Awesome, Great art even better, yet after 9 episodes I feel a bit cheated of story.

21. mango says:

“Mango: sorry, I did not mean to drag these through the mud. I merely tried to explain why I didn’t mind Saya’s character, while I did mind a lot of other shows with stupid characters. Taht part was meant to be entirely personal.”

While apologizing and then still calling the characters stupid kind of negates the apology, as I said, it’s your opinion and your blog. I personally don’t really care for the characters in Blood-C while I enjoy others. To each his own. I just wish you’d learn to phrase things less harshly, but I don’t think many bloggers know how to do that…bleh, don’t mind me…

22. Spike says:

The un-edited episodes air on a different station 1 day after the niconico stream so if you wai a little bit instead of gobbling it up immediately you will get your unedited and not be able to complain about edits.

23. Snowolf says:

@Jzar:

Well, the entire REASON behind the show, or rather the main plot of it, is to see WHY these monsters are here, WHY they are eating humans and what this Covenant means. So I don’t really understand how you’re saying that a.) the violence is mindless when the violence is the mystery of the show, and is connected to the mystery of the plot, and b.) how this show isn’t making you think, because it’s making you think quite hard. Not on a level of Mawaru Penguindrum where there are a lot of hidden allusions and symbolisms, but enough to make you question who’s actually part of the facade here and who to trust. Heck, I’m not even sure if I can trust Watanuki- everything in this show is deceptive, from the setting to the ‘father’ of Saya.

Once again, that is not the show’s problem. That is the network’s problem. I agree that the censors are annoying but there’s nothing you can do about that unless you go and watch it streaming on the unedited channel, or buy the DVDs.

That’s fine if you think the story could be better- I’m sure every story has a weakness, and by no means is Blood C the best show I’ve ever seen, but I’m quite tired of hearing people complain about it for things that don’t really make sense or are just another way of saying “it’s too slow and since it’s not what i expected it must be bad”. No one said that Blood C would be a pure action based show, and ironically, it’s very character based and takes its time, so I don’t see how you find the episodes rushed at all- if anything, the first three episodes were really slow and repetitious (for a reason), but that’s your opinion so.

She has experience, she has been shown in every episode to be very much a veteran combat fighter (…) The story to date hasn’t really explained anything about why Saya does anything. Just extremely tiny hints, which I usually like just fine, but it they didn’t give out enough hints to allow me to understand. Thus her actions make no real sense.

But that’s the entire mystery! You’ll find out, that’s how it works. Once you come to the end, you’ll want to go back and see how it all fits in. Maybe I’m just accustomed to that sort of buildup- for example, in Fringe, it’s the exact same way. It’s obvious that Saya is being manipulated- now, for what, by what, we have no clue as of yet- but we are learning things slowly, and while that may be frustrating for some as they like their answers served on a plate and quickly, I think the pacing is great here. And Saya is NOT a veteran combat fighter- if she was, she wouldn’t get hurt, and she certainly wouldn’t allow other people to die. A veteran combat fighter not only understands the techniques of fighting but the price of a life, and Saya more than anything is just a teenage girl, who is forced to fight these things without understanding why or what she’s exactly supposed to do. She’s going to be confused, in shock, and faulted. She’s not a robotic machine, but she has been raised like one in many aspects- reasons why her relationships with the other classmates are so awkward because she just doesn’t know how to connect with society.

The biggest complaint I have with this show is the lack of character fleshing for the other characters, but with a 12 episode show it’s not too shabby, I’ve seen worse stuff. But yeah, I admit, that definitely could have been improved on, with all those school scenes before episode 6.

24. Obsidian says:

As usual I like the mystery elements of this show the big twist in the episode is that mysterious room and talk of experiments and well the wish being both crucial and out of reach in a way uptil now

what I loved of this episode is the surprise attack but then it cut off which got me irked but that was very realistic to be in a situation like that is quite scary and saya is the only one who realizes what is happening.

but bad points: saya acts silly at times too silly.

secondly: the town seems too quiet even after numerous disappearances which is way too odd.

I don’t mind subtle and enigmatic but this series needs better execution

and yeah the interview explained a lot but in my opinion I think 12 eps can have more and still have subtlety.

I think the action is well and also the elusiveness of characters is to a point good.

25. furukimono says:

Why the hell are losers people still watching this show 8 episodes in when all they can say about it is that they hate pretty much everything it does?

26. Obsidian says:

@ furukimono

stop calling people losers :P Listen some people are fans of the blood franchise so they continue watching it. Others have dropped it.

I am in the middle ground. I like some aspects of the show but hate others.

I see you are liking the show which is good.

there’s nothing wrong with disliking and/or liking it if people give their reasons :)

27. Obsidian says:

I love comment 17 in this list that makes sense cool thinking

but yes I don’t get the hint much of how she values human life (probably I missed something somewhere)

I think that saya’s character is in conflict with her movie self which was somewhat apathetic to human life but this is where then saya is betraying herself by acting so kind and sweet but really the classmates getting killed and she being static was kinda stupid

because a) saya’s dad and she were kinda prepared for it and b) saya after fighting them for so long did not act in the slightest ready she did the same mistake before and so I expected her a bit different this time it’s ok people are dying but saya’s lapses in concentration is not working out. It’s even something apathetic movie saya tried to dodge.

28. furukimono says:

@Obsidian

Apparently you failed to get my point. I didn’t call people losers because they dislike the show, but because they’re wasting(=losing) their time and energy watching something they clearly don’t enjoy just so they can go around and bitch about it. Not what I’d call productive behavior.

29. RollingCamel says:

What’s the point of the censorship?

30. Dalx says:

@RollingCamel
    Um…censor? Really I don’t see more to that and if ir irks you (it irks me) just wait for clean releases, it is not the story’s fault (This goes for everyone listing censor as it’s a storykiller)

I like blood-C and it’s concept but was pretty bored by te first 3 or so episodes but still I’m sticking with it because of the potential that is showing and my faith in CLAMP.

I don’t really understand why people who hated come and rant in Psgels page about how bad it is. He loves it so? Bias is really impossible to supress and it makes us state things as a fact because they are a fact for us. We just do not think alike.

CLAMP, someday you’ll cause another cold war with your stories, they polarize people.

31. M0rg0th says:

I think, the pacing was chosen badly as creating the contrast between everyday mundanity and supernatural became too much of a focus on the mundanity in the early episodes letting it show only one half of the series with the other half seeming rather banal (the hints in the beginning were rather vague and therefore useless for someone watching it for the first time). But the actual structure of this series is having a story but one being told “out of order” so to speak and I’d like the building-up more if it’d have involved more of a gradual revelation, this series is very slow in that regard to reveal parts of its story to the viewer. Having a story that you completely understand only after having you seen everything is fine but I would like Blood-C to be more engaging with its story instead of trying so forceful to keep the viewer from already getting the story at this point.
    Right now I wouldn’t like to call anything in this series pointless since it’s one of these series that depends completely on the final big revelation but I do worry whether this series will be able to do all the explaining that is necessary to make nothing this far pointless.

32. Obsidian says:

@ furukimono

ok, I did misunderstand you a bit :) but as I said some of the ppl who are fans of the Blood franchise are criticizing which is a given to any franchise but yeah if they had not seen blood before and don’t like it at all and not even the concept of the series then they shouldn’t watch it.

But some criticisms are valid but personally I have mixed feelings about this show having seen its predecessors. I like remixes and retellings but this one has both extremely good points and bad points.

33. AidanAK47 says:

Well I was going to jump in here to bash the show but it seems that everyone got here before me.

“Compare that to R-15 or Baka To Test to Shoukanjuu Ni, which were just slurs of bad acting and jokes that didn’t work, with nothing that really caught my attention.”

Yep, Blood-c is a far better comedy that those two.

(Tokizane sees Saya Covered in blood beside monster chopped in half)
    Tokizane: “Are you badly injured?”

Saya:”I will not let anyone else die!”
    (Said after five people died right in front of her and she did nothing)

At this point the shows a joke.

34. M0rg0th says:

Well, the dialogue certainly has its flaws creating these unintentionally funny situations ^^ …
    And Saya’s character doesn’t help either, no matter how much sense it makes within the setting to let her behave like that. When she’s too “inhuman” to bother about stuff like logic or common sense, it still doesn’t change the fact that it makes her silly from a human perspective, there are certainly better ways to portray an inhuman character without deciding that “inhuman” is portrayed best by Saya doing or saying things that a normal human would consider irrational or stupid. She also doesn’t do much to progress the story besides depending upon her flashbacks to explain everything to her and the dog giving her the information via tirelessly asking her the relevant questions. And slaughtering Elder Bairns constantly isn’t really the way to go as far as saving the day is concerned since Saya obviously can’t protect everyone (she also doesn’t really try to save everyone because she is just too “inhuman” to understand that concept) and the town-population surely can’t increase with such a death-ratio. But right now it doesn’t seem like Saya is thinking about changing the situation, she still sticks to her known principles despite beginning to have suspicions about the situation. She will probably become more active only once even she has understood what is going on and at that point we’re probably watching the last episode of the series. Well, at least it should give the finale a sense of tragedy when Saya realizes that she should’ve acted much sooner.

35. fabulous max says:

that singing ugh

and LOL@ the fanboys trying to defend their precious cartoon show and calling people “Losers” hahah!

Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Spiritpact, Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Chain Chronicle – Haecceitas no Hikari

Spiritpact Short Synopsis: A boy is killed by a truck and finds himself teamed up with an exorcist as a ghost. Sorry China, by all means keep trying but this isn’t going to top Japanese animation any time soon. So what’s wrong? Well the animation is fairly basic, the characters are annoying and the comedy […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100