Posted by psgels on 9 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

Once again Blood-C delivers an absolutely stunning episode. As if the previous episode wasn’t bad enough already, this episode goes even further.

Usually when a large amount of people need to die, you often just see one big explosion or otherwise very destructive thing, followed by a heap of dead bodies. That latest episode of Number 6 is a good example of that. This however was much, much more nerve wrecking as an entire classroom gets murdered out, and we actually see the monster maul each of his victims separately. This creature just kept chipping away everyone until there were just two people left. Now that was incredibly intense. With this I’m also sure: this series has the best fight choreography of the entire season. It’s a shame that the animation couldn’t remain as good as the first episode, but each action scene still is incredibly well crafted.

The thing with Blood-C is indeed that its cast lacks complexity. But dear god, for me it throws around more and more things that just completely make up for that lack. I mean, i like character development and all, but it’s not as black and white that I only like characters with character-development, and hate the ones who don’t. I’m growing more and more fond of Saya, and the biggest reason for that is how the mystery uses her. This really is one of the few series of the Summer Season that isn’t rushed, aside from Penguin Drum and Natsume Yuujinchou, and BY GOD it shows. Heck, I’d even argue that out of all of the series that are going to end this month, this one is the one I’m looking forward to the most aside from Steins;Gate.

The second half of the episode again had me on the edge of my seat because of this. The horror here too was very effective in just building up tension, and using the build-up of the entire season. Bit by bit throughout the series, Saya remembered a bit more and we’ve now reached the point where the inconsistencies really start to show, and she’s finally starting to think for herself.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Spike says:

I just like that there is actual tension and you can’t actually tell who’s going to be saved or not. When she dived, saved the kid and told him to run I thought for sure he would get away. Nope. While she’s protecting herself in the background the kid is being taken out and they don’t even make a big deal out of it. It’s really refreshing that the other characters don’t turn into uninvolved spectators.

2. Cassidy says:

Is it me, or the Elder Bairn “smiled” like some mass-product Evas from The End of Evangelion?

3. Frost says:

I will praise this anime for one thing: it kills characters left and right with no remorse whatsoever… Its something people should learn from

I hate the classic “last second save” that everyone pulls off in movies and crap, its so damn predictable thats pretty much every time a death is being announced, you know its not gonna happen

Still think this was the worst way to go about fleshing out Saya… Saying that she has been fake all this time because of plot isnt gonna cut it, bad character is bad no matter what

4. Snowolf says:

Cassidy- I thought I was the only one who noticed! That was entirely disturbing, watching the kids being picked apart, out one by one like from a pack. That’s also very realistic hunting though. As someone who isn’t disturbed much by gore, Blood C has an unusual effect on me, and those realistic noises don’t help at all :O

I don’t get the hate for Saya, to be honest- I mean, she’s not a human, nor does she act like one, so in what ways must we force our expectations of acting like a human upon her? I will admit that it’s slightly annoying for her not to come to her senses earlier and pull out her katana and get serious- but that’s the thing- it literally takes a death of a classmate/close friend for Saya to give into her serious nature, and while she does it without much complication, the fact that you have to pressure her to get there is what strikes me as odd; I think that’s the exact reason why the only class that came to school was Saya’s (CALLED IT!) because whoever is playing behind the scenes wants Saya to transform, or waken up, or complete the promise/covenant or whatever, and the only way to do that is by sacrificing those closest to her. If that’s true, then it’s unbelievably harsh, and I’ve only really come to sympathize with Saya and everything she’s gone through.

Is it me or is this whole setting taking on a Truman Show kind of plot? This is what I suspect, at least.

5. Alt says:

My main issue with the protag is that she is in these combat situations daily. Litterally. She had already watched folks she dosent know and friends die. And was broken up about it. Swearing she was going to do better.

Yet, she dosent go all out from the start. She never gives it her best at the beginning of combat, she waits till her worst fails. At this point in time she has seen those guys kill two of her best friends two days in a row along with random townsfolk.Hell they even attacked at her home!

Why did she not jump out the window of the school building and attack at full power as soon as she saw the guy who was obviosly going to attack? Why did she stand and watch as half the class was killed and only drew her sword at that point? Why did she not go all out at that point? Why was she “suddenly confused and having flashbacks from stress”?

She does this every day. Something else is in the way.

Are Tou-“sama” and the guy who feeds her weird food acctually allies in her goal? Its been pretty obvious that they and the teacher know exactly whats going on, and its an experiment. And she is failing the test pretty badly.

If she would just go all out from the start none of her failures would have happened. I call mind wipe and reprograming.

Im pretty sure the “dog” knows this. Im not even going to bring up the subject of the “suspicious guy” who loves her. Noone ever talks about him.

6. Alt says:

I am happy that there is a movie coming next year. As far as I see this series is going to need one, and it was the plan from the start.

7. Kelldor says:

I like how saya only changes whwn shes realy close to death or a someone she defines herself by dies, it’s like everytime a bit of her identity dies, she turns back into “old saya”

8. RollingCamel says:

About why Saya doesn’t attack on the start. It seems that her inner instinct as a hunter or killer makes her wait and check her opponent, never attack blindly without knowing what your opponent’s strong and weak points. She says that she want to protect but when she fights her instinct takes over even before her eyes turn red.

She is supposed to protect ppl yet she waited the man to enter the cab so she can identify her opponent.

9. M0rg0th says:

@Snowolf:
    “I mean, she’s not a human, nor does she act like one, so in what ways must we force our expectations of acting like a human upon her?”
    Because she is inhuman in a way that makes her silly from a human point of view and since this is a horror-series there certainly should be better ways to show her inhumanity than making her inhumanly silly and dumb. Also, there is just this comparison where one thinks what a reasonable human would’ve done in this situation and then sees how slow Saya’s mind works figuring out how strange her surroundings are. Saya begins now to ask questions the audience had since the first few episodes, it’s like the show has been sleeping the whole time and now starts slowly (VERY slowly, of course) to wake up (just like the dog mentioned in episode 06 when he said to Saya that she should wake up).
    “but that’s the thing- it literally takes a death of a classmate/close friend for Saya to give into her serious nature, and while she does it without much complication, the fact that you have to pressure her to get there”
    How exactly her “red eyes” work is a mystery since she could use them also in episode one and there was no death of a classmate involved or anything similar to that. She just fought that thing alone and started suddenly to kill the Elder Bairn as her eyes changed. I think, I agree with Kelkor more on this matter as these red eyes are just her “old personality” trying to break free. Perhaps the fights make it easier for her “old personality” to appear and this is in no way related to Saya’s will of protecting everyone which is why she can’t do anything about activating it earlier or using it like another “weapon”, it’s just a sort of unconscious change that overcomes her at some random point (which means more or less at the convenience of the script-writers).
    “Is it me or is this whole setting taking on a Truman Show kind of plot?”
    Hmm, I agree with you that it seems like such a kind of plot but this “staged” vibe of the setting has been apparent for a long time now, I’d say. The series certainly dropped more than enough hints in the beginning about the strange nature of “Saya’s Town” by showing how empty the streets were, how the sites of Saya’s battles were cleaned the next day, how the victims Saya failed to protect were just reported as missing to Saya’s classmates and so on. That part was clear a long time ago, I would just wish this series would get past dwelling on this part of the plot and start sharing the story with the audience in a meaningful way instead of dancing around the issue and wasting the time with showing even more gore and blood than in the previous episode.

The second half showed again how this episode avoids to talks about its story. We had three characters who talked with a Saya that began to question her surroundings (hurray! It only took her nine episodes to realize something’s odd and trying to do something about it!), first there was a dog who again asked Saya meaningful questions but not in any way that could hint at anything directly and he congratulated Saya for the progress they made this day in waking her up (since he also knows that the end of the series is approaching, you know) but before Saya could begin to talk with him really, Tokizane appears forcing the dog to leave and asks about Saya in his concerned voice, but Saya discovering now the beauty of reason asks Tokizane some hard questions which Tokizane avoids to answer which makes him rather suspicious but before that dialogue can get going, Tadayoshi appears which now forces Tokizane to leave and Saya starts with another topic: her mother. She doesn’t remember her name which is obviously odd but Saya silly as always hadn’t noticed that until now. And that’s it, end of the episode. Tokizane seems suspicious, the dog tells us that this episode did another babystep towards the end and Tadayoshi gets confronted by an obvious oddity of Saya’s background – everything you can get from that second half without relying on speculation and guessing. Not really the way a ninth episode should look like, I would say. At this point I would have expected for Saya to ask questions AND get answers but with this slow pacing even doing both these things in one episode would be far too fast-paced and therefore Saya only gets the chance to ask questions but not to get any answers from them.

10. AidanAK47 says:

Well that had to be the most infuriating anime episode I have seen in a long time. Why?

The whole time Saya was fighting that monster I was shouting “AIM FOR THE GOD DAMN LEGS! OR THE GOD DAMN EYES!” It doesn’t take a genius to figure out the flaws in the monsters design. Even then it’s killing all your friends with it’s legs. It can only move with it’s legs. If that’s not incentive to strike them then what the hell is?! But no…you go red eyes and then you aim for the god damn legs. Congratulations. Now if you only did that an episode ago then nobody would have died.
    And those students…honestly. How retarded can you get? Frozen in shock I get. Running to a dead end like the roof I cannot. You might as cover yourself in seasoning and lie down on a plate. There wasn’t a ladder or something?!

And Saya begins to realise that something is not right with the town. All it took was for the dog to remind her again and again during the last few episodes. Finally, a light bulb. Pity we the viewers have already figured out that this is heading toward the Truman show/all a dream ending.
    Still if was satisfying to see all those annoying characters die horribly.

11. Ada Wong says:

I’m not surprised at the criticism of Blood C because this show takes people out of their comfort zone. They don’t like that. The ‘heroes’ always beat the enemy with some new power-up pulled out of their ass, and cute school girls never die, saved at the last second. Well, Blood C is a breath of fresh air. I guess it breaks the formula a bit too much for some. Saya is a flawed heroine. She’s been manipulated / brainwashed or something.

I’m amazed at the material on display here. The violence is incredible, even censored. The fact that its children dying is quite brave. I’m glad the story is centered on the mystery of Saya and not just mindless ass-kicking every episode. This series will be better on second viewing, but I admit it requires some patience to see the ‘big picture’.

It would be interesting to hear what Japanese viewers think of this show because most of the complaints seem ‘western’ – you know, heroes are like Superman.

12. AidanAK47 says:

@Ada Wong, I guess you missed those complaints about plot, terrible characters, weak mystery, Saya complete stupidity to use the power she has to the fullest and instead standing there and doing nothing, lack of any real pacing…..

I really can understand that Hero who fails logic. Hell I approve it. I don’t want any cheap ass new found super powers or always winning either. What we can’t stand is that Saya who is apparently trying her hardest is withholding power and preforming actions that simply contradict that. This isn’t that hero who tries there hardest and fails. This is the hero who half asses it and fails.

13. Ada Wong says:

@AidanAK47, I’ve heard the complaints about Saya, her “inactivity” allowing people to die, but I think that’s part of her character. It’s intentional. Yeah, she has problems, but it was obvious that all is not well from the first episode. Everything seemed too perfect, even that happy song walking to school.

Saya can’t fight to full potential because of a mental conflict preventing her, flashbacks to past events, etc… but who said she’s supposed to be saving humans? Maybe her confusion is because she’s betraying the Elder Bairns. Saya is not really human and might be going against her nature – one even talked about the “old you” not being this weak.

14. AidanAK47 says:

@Ada Wong,
    “I’ve heard the complaints about Saya, her “inactivity” allowing people to die, but I think that’s part of her character. It’s intentional.”
    Intentional or not. Doesn’t make it any more fun to watch. The character only comes across as terribly stupid in both cases.

Now here you are looking too much into her character. Saya has the memory of a goldfish, a single minded goal and a clear lack of understanding for human emotions. No conflict. She simply don’t have the brainpower for such a thing. After all most of the series spent it’s time showing us how dim and air headed this girl is. There were plenty of ways for the writers to make her inhuman side effect her slice of life section. Possibly let us invest some interest in the girl. But no. They wasted it on pointless crap.

“Well, since this series seems to be planned around the Saya mystery they presumably have a solid explanation for all this weirdness.”
    Isn’t it obvious? I bet you a tenner this all takes place in Saya’s head. It’s not that difficult to figure out. We just need to wait for the characters to catch up.

15. wakka9ca says:

Again, I have to the characterizations so far are all paper-thin. There is a difference between trying something different and just plainly present stuffs in a bad way. Clearly, there is more to what is currently happening. The way things are moving are clearly fake enough to show that Saya might be dreaming/hallucinating and the Furukimono may not even exist.

16. M0rg0th says:

@Ada Wong:
    “I guess it breaks the formula a bit too much for some.”
    Blood-C’s formula is hardly anything new or original. Taking a story and telling it in a non-linear way like Blood-C by having a dumb “heroine” forget what really happened at the beginning and why things are as they are seems like a neat idea that has been done before whenever you have stories that rely on revelations done by flashbacks and new characters having information about the plot. What makes this “new” to you is probably the baby-step-pacing-approach this series is taking which means that it took for example nine episodes for Saya to acknowledge the strangeness of her life despite the viewer having doubts since episode 3 or so. And that’s just plainly boring to plan a series so slow that the whole story is told in the last few episodes while the rest doesn’t bother to say anything significant as far as the story is concerned. Watching Blood-C is a test of patience by sitting through hours of insignificant events until the series decides to tell you its story.
    “She’s been manipulated / brainwashed or something.”
    So what? I don’t understand this point where I have to excuse Saya for being silly only because someone made her so – she’s still silly! And it’s not like the creators of this series were forced to make her silly as to show that she’s brainwashed. Also, if she was brainwashed than it was done by an idiot when stuff like the name of her mother was left out which is SO obvious to point out as a hint towards it being a fake-memory. Any reasonable person would’ve doubted the memories from the moment someone talked about this “mother” – but that’s why Saya is so dumb: so that she doesn’t think about anything in a very reasonable way. In the end she’s just silly because the person who created her fake-memories was also an idiot and tried to cover it up that way. In the end the whole affair is just full of silliness.
    “The fact that its children dying is quite brave.”
    Again: So what? Killing children every minute for the first half of an episode is simple exaggeration. The violence doesn’t get better only because it gets more and more each episode. This episode basically just repeated the message of episode 06 that Saya can’t even protect those close to her (but it’s just like Blood-C to repeat that message needlessly). The only difference is that this time even more (nameless) bystanders died horribly while also one of Saya’s close friends died.

17. specracer29 says:

Possible Spoiler!!!

If your watching Blood-C then I assume that you’ve also watched Blood + and the anime movie Blood the last Vampire. Then you know that the Blood series is split in to universes Blood the last vampire and Blood plus. I think Blood-C is apart of Blood the last vampire (or BLV for short).

In BLV we see Saya running around post war Japan hunting chiropteran(vampires) with her handler, and that was pretty much it, but a bit later they made a manga

In the manga Blood -The Last vampire 2000 we learn that Saya is treated like nothing more than a rabid attack dog kept in chains until they need her to kill chiropteran. (In Blood C in some of the flashbacks and when that guy is talking we can see Saya in chains) In the immediate area around where they are holding Saya there is a drastic increase in the chiropteran attacks. So they send Saya out to track down and kill the cause and Saya finds the cause, her sister Maya.

Maya(like Diva in blood+) is a twin to Saya. But unlike Saya Maya can partially transform and needs blood. Through course of their fight Maya explains that she has been sending out chiropteran to attract Saya so she could tell Saya of their origin.

Maya says that long ago humans and vampires lived together in peace because originally vampires did not need to kill to feed,and humans and vampire had a long standing “covenant” and that the relationship use to be symbiotic, but humans envies of the vampires immortality broke the “covenant” and began experimenting on the vampire.

In order find the secret to vampire immortality they tried everything(rituals, alchemy,mixing human and vampire genes,etc) and failed, but as the reserch progressed the only thing that changed was that the vampires killing instinct and combat ability sky-rocketed. Eventualy the vampire escaped and killed most of the researchers.

In the 1900s in a bid to destroy their mistake. The humans using the blood from the last living pure blood vampire created Maya and Saya as living anti-vampire weapons, but Maya was a defective because she needed blood.(some how Maya escapes it never said). Saya’s handlers got into the habit of brainwashing and erasing Saya’s memories after a certain number of years. Everytime they would appoint a new handler and each one would try a different method some treating her like a daughter(Cough cough) and some treating her like a weapon.

Maya tells Saya that because they where both one single being once if Saya drinks all of Maya’s blood they will become one again, and will no longer be pawns of the humans.

The last part of the manga shows that Saya goes back to her handlers and kills them then runs away to blend into the human world.

I think Blood-C is a sequal to the manga and that her handlers somehow re-captured Saya and brainwashed her again and now she is starting to remember.

18. jreding says:

@ specracer29: Blood-C being a continuation of the BLV world is a very interesting idea and makes much sense to me! I somewhat thought the same w/ the flashback of Saya in chains. I also noticed that there are many flashbacks of a scene in a subway which reminded me of Saya’s attack at the start of the BLV movie!

19. Me says:

My opinion on the show has been slowly going down hill for a while, but when Saya asked those hard questions to Tokizane? It was the first moment out of the last few episodes where it felt “real”. I was quite surprised, since most of the show feels like it’s swimming in a sleepy surreal haze with everyone acting so unnatural, but Saya asking why he likes her and how does he know her? Awesome. I chalk it up to stylistic writing and following tropes, but if it’s been on purpose then that would be a nice twist.

20. jzar says:

Episode 09 should have been Episode 01

I have to admit that this was a good episode. I think it’s a shame they couldn’t have done this episode at the beginning.

However you could just skip all the other episodes and watch this one and have all of the story so far.

Just my take, I’ve wanted a story since episode 01….

Look at Steins Gate, they worked a slow story but it kept moving and the small things became big ones as the story moved along
    Not so for Blood C, the story they created took very little content and then added gallons of water to it and then made it stretch and stretch and stretch.

You can’t really saw you want to go back and watch any of the episodes over again.

So in the end I will predict they will not provide us with anything much other than ‘go see the movie’.

Why use the ‘Blood C’ for the Title?

I wonder about that. Blood + made some sense, we would see Saya using her blood to kill the regeneration of the monsters. Her blood ‘killed’ those monsters.

So how is ‘blood’ being used here? Seems you could have called the show anything since it is completely unrelated to the the franchise.

21. Obsidian says:

I actually liked this episode! Best ep of blood c yet and so makes the other eps feel stupid :\

I won’t lie I shared the panic of the school as it was being murdered. I actually felt so bad that(spoiler) Yuka died. I wished she didn’t she was a strong girl and actually took charge of things but then again the class rep got lucky going off to save Saya while she was stranded to save the others (spoiler end) the enigma in this episode was very well executed unlike the others eps. I also agree with Snowolf that Saya’s class was called to torment Saya with being helpless (cool observation Snowolf)

Speaking of helpless Saya did act a bit stupid. I am not saying there shouldn’t have been casualties because the victims also acted really stupid. But Saya was not real;ly fighting cool and after she did I was irked that it took too long but yes I think this is the best blood c ep and I loved it.

It was an action oriented episode but it also showed much horror and panic in a real life situation.

(spolier) I feel teary eyed when Yuka died it was the most painful death I think in the entire series. But yeah I also felt cheated that I was stripped from knowing her. It kinda reminded me of Riku from Blood + which was also one of the most tragic deaths and yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if Tokizane is a chevalier or a chiropteran as Saya(spoiler fin)

Ok, is it just me or is that sweet Gumeilleve a sort of blood source? It really seems so. Saya usually eats it after she started fighting the furukimono. I* wouldn’t be surprised if the cafe owner and her father are the main antagonists of the series and have aggravated the demons to lash out — it’s true what the director you may rewatch the series after its conclusion for Saya is finally growing some brains and realizing that things are strange and not what they seem.

Is it possible to be self aware of your lack of self awareness?
Seiren is worse than I've hoped, but I still want to finish it, along with Demi-chan and Dragon maid
Onihei I will give it another episode but the episodic nature doesn't grab me as much anymore. I will follow Hand Shakers because for Christsake it's just something else
I enjoyed Akiba's trip (still fun to see an anime that inspired by other anime and appeal to anime fans only), Masamune-kun no Revenge (2nd episode wasn't good but the 3rd was alright), Urara and Gabriel Dropout but that's the end of my trip on them
Okay, since we reached the 3rd episodes (man, don't tell me we already passed a quarter of this season already), I'll give you a bit of recap on what I've been following this season:
Guess we can put that down as one of the most important things a critic needs. Self Awareness.
@Anon, I won't deny having an inflated sense of worth but Nostalgia blindness? You are reaching man.
Just like you :)
Anyway I never heard of this guy and he seems like the usually case of Nostalgia blindness and inflated sense of worth. Nothing really worth concerning ourselves about.
"How can I be pretentious when I mean everything I say?" Oh silly silly fool. Being an idiot doesn't mean you can't be pretentious.
I bring him up because I feel he'd be more controversial than Tenka seiha/aroduc or digibro.
Roriconfan/thatanimesnob/Peter Malousis: [link src="https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnob
I don't know who would that be either Kaiser? A V-blogger?
Who?
We talk about digibro on here, yet we never talk about Rorico.
I agree
Shitcunt is the greatest anime villain of all time. End of argument.
Best villain was clearly JJ. JJ is actually the best character for every category.
@SuperMario, I just felt there was some social context to the discussion with the boss that I missed.
Bah, haven't you heard, the best villain category was for the dictionary in Lost passage, must have been bastard-hard effort getting that compiled =P
To sum that up, don't bully my waifu or I will end you.
@Mario, She only killed him once and tortured him for information once. Both times because he had something which showed he had a connection to the witch. Besides, the anime mainly showed off her good points but she still has a crushing inferiority complex and a rather delicate mindset.
Oh I have one. How about Lovepon? lol
@Topgavin: it was sarcasm actually, if we do it again next year we might cut down some categories. But I totally agree that we're lacking of good villains. Biba and that teacher are the worst as they actually dragged their shows down.
Honestly though there's been a real lacking of good villains last year. I hear some guy from Jojo was pretty good, but other than that they've either been okay or lackluster. Makes you wonder how FMA:B managed to get so many villians right in so many ways when shows usually fail to get even 1 half as good.
@Supermario Biba or Teacher-dude from Erased surely...
Maybe we should include the best villain next time, haha. I honestly don't know who to pick...
oh Rem, that demon girl who tried to kill Subaru many times over. Why is she the best girl again?
@Kaiser: I watched Moonlight last night in cinema and it was great. I had high expectation for that and it pretty much delivered. Also Janelle Monae was so freaking hot.
OMG, that 3rd episode of Rakugo was so greattttt. @Lenlo: don't need to understand the meaning of the rant thou, Yotaro doesn't understand either
Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100