Posted by psgels on 9 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

Once again Blood-C delivers an absolutely stunning episode. As if the previous episode wasn’t bad enough already, this episode goes even further.

Usually when a large amount of people need to die, you often just see one big explosion or otherwise very destructive thing, followed by a heap of dead bodies. That latest episode of Number 6 is a good example of that. This however was much, much more nerve wrecking as an entire classroom gets murdered out, and we actually see the monster maul each of his victims separately. This creature just kept chipping away everyone until there were just two people left. Now that was incredibly intense. With this I’m also sure: this series has the best fight choreography of the entire season. It’s a shame that the animation couldn’t remain as good as the first episode, but each action scene still is incredibly well crafted.

The thing with Blood-C is indeed that its cast lacks complexity. But dear god, for me it throws around more and more things that just completely make up for that lack. I mean, i like character development and all, but it’s not as black and white that I only like characters with character-development, and hate the ones who don’t. I’m growing more and more fond of Saya, and the biggest reason for that is how the mystery uses her. This really is one of the few series of the Summer Season that isn’t rushed, aside from Penguin Drum and Natsume Yuujinchou, and BY GOD it shows. Heck, I’d even argue that out of all of the series that are going to end this month, this one is the one I’m looking forward to the most aside from Steins;Gate.

The second half of the episode again had me on the edge of my seat because of this. The horror here too was very effective in just building up tension, and using the build-up of the entire season. Bit by bit throughout the series, Saya remembered a bit more and we’ve now reached the point where the inconsistencies really start to show, and she’s finally starting to think for herself.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Spike says:

I just like that there is actual tension and you can’t actually tell who’s going to be saved or not. When she dived, saved the kid and told him to run I thought for sure he would get away. Nope. While she’s protecting herself in the background the kid is being taken out and they don’t even make a big deal out of it. It’s really refreshing that the other characters don’t turn into uninvolved spectators.

2. Cassidy says:

Is it me, or the Elder Bairn “smiled” like some mass-product Evas from The End of Evangelion?

3. Frost says:

I will praise this anime for one thing: it kills characters left and right with no remorse whatsoever… Its something people should learn from

I hate the classic “last second save” that everyone pulls off in movies and crap, its so damn predictable thats pretty much every time a death is being announced, you know its not gonna happen

Still think this was the worst way to go about fleshing out Saya… Saying that she has been fake all this time because of plot isnt gonna cut it, bad character is bad no matter what

4. Snowolf says:

Cassidy- I thought I was the only one who noticed! That was entirely disturbing, watching the kids being picked apart, out one by one like from a pack. That’s also very realistic hunting though. As someone who isn’t disturbed much by gore, Blood C has an unusual effect on me, and those realistic noises don’t help at all :O

I don’t get the hate for Saya, to be honest- I mean, she’s not a human, nor does she act like one, so in what ways must we force our expectations of acting like a human upon her? I will admit that it’s slightly annoying for her not to come to her senses earlier and pull out her katana and get serious- but that’s the thing- it literally takes a death of a classmate/close friend for Saya to give into her serious nature, and while she does it without much complication, the fact that you have to pressure her to get there is what strikes me as odd; I think that’s the exact reason why the only class that came to school was Saya’s (CALLED IT!) because whoever is playing behind the scenes wants Saya to transform, or waken up, or complete the promise/covenant or whatever, and the only way to do that is by sacrificing those closest to her. If that’s true, then it’s unbelievably harsh, and I’ve only really come to sympathize with Saya and everything she’s gone through.

Is it me or is this whole setting taking on a Truman Show kind of plot? This is what I suspect, at least.

5. Alt says:

My main issue with the protag is that she is in these combat situations daily. Litterally. She had already watched folks she dosent know and friends die. And was broken up about it. Swearing she was going to do better.

Yet, she dosent go all out from the start. She never gives it her best at the beginning of combat, she waits till her worst fails. At this point in time she has seen those guys kill two of her best friends two days in a row along with random townsfolk.Hell they even attacked at her home!

Why did she not jump out the window of the school building and attack at full power as soon as she saw the guy who was obviosly going to attack? Why did she stand and watch as half the class was killed and only drew her sword at that point? Why did she not go all out at that point? Why was she “suddenly confused and having flashbacks from stress”?

She does this every day. Something else is in the way.

Are Tou-“sama” and the guy who feeds her weird food acctually allies in her goal? Its been pretty obvious that they and the teacher know exactly whats going on, and its an experiment. And she is failing the test pretty badly.

If she would just go all out from the start none of her failures would have happened. I call mind wipe and reprograming.

Im pretty sure the “dog” knows this. Im not even going to bring up the subject of the “suspicious guy” who loves her. Noone ever talks about him.

6. Alt says:

I am happy that there is a movie coming next year. As far as I see this series is going to need one, and it was the plan from the start.

7. Kelldor says:

I like how saya only changes whwn shes realy close to death or a someone she defines herself by dies, it’s like everytime a bit of her identity dies, she turns back into “old saya”

8. RollingCamel says:

About why Saya doesn’t attack on the start. It seems that her inner instinct as a hunter or killer makes her wait and check her opponent, never attack blindly without knowing what your opponent’s strong and weak points. She says that she want to protect but when she fights her instinct takes over even before her eyes turn red.

She is supposed to protect ppl yet she waited the man to enter the cab so she can identify her opponent.

9. M0rg0th says:

@Snowolf:
    “I mean, she’s not a human, nor does she act like one, so in what ways must we force our expectations of acting like a human upon her?”
    Because she is inhuman in a way that makes her silly from a human point of view and since this is a horror-series there certainly should be better ways to show her inhumanity than making her inhumanly silly and dumb. Also, there is just this comparison where one thinks what a reasonable human would’ve done in this situation and then sees how slow Saya’s mind works figuring out how strange her surroundings are. Saya begins now to ask questions the audience had since the first few episodes, it’s like the show has been sleeping the whole time and now starts slowly (VERY slowly, of course) to wake up (just like the dog mentioned in episode 06 when he said to Saya that she should wake up).
    “but that’s the thing- it literally takes a death of a classmate/close friend for Saya to give into her serious nature, and while she does it without much complication, the fact that you have to pressure her to get there”
    How exactly her “red eyes” work is a mystery since she could use them also in episode one and there was no death of a classmate involved or anything similar to that. She just fought that thing alone and started suddenly to kill the Elder Bairn as her eyes changed. I think, I agree with Kelkor more on this matter as these red eyes are just her “old personality” trying to break free. Perhaps the fights make it easier for her “old personality” to appear and this is in no way related to Saya’s will of protecting everyone which is why she can’t do anything about activating it earlier or using it like another “weapon”, it’s just a sort of unconscious change that overcomes her at some random point (which means more or less at the convenience of the script-writers).
    “Is it me or is this whole setting taking on a Truman Show kind of plot?”
    Hmm, I agree with you that it seems like such a kind of plot but this “staged” vibe of the setting has been apparent for a long time now, I’d say. The series certainly dropped more than enough hints in the beginning about the strange nature of “Saya’s Town” by showing how empty the streets were, how the sites of Saya’s battles were cleaned the next day, how the victims Saya failed to protect were just reported as missing to Saya’s classmates and so on. That part was clear a long time ago, I would just wish this series would get past dwelling on this part of the plot and start sharing the story with the audience in a meaningful way instead of dancing around the issue and wasting the time with showing even more gore and blood than in the previous episode.

The second half showed again how this episode avoids to talks about its story. We had three characters who talked with a Saya that began to question her surroundings (hurray! It only took her nine episodes to realize something’s odd and trying to do something about it!), first there was a dog who again asked Saya meaningful questions but not in any way that could hint at anything directly and he congratulated Saya for the progress they made this day in waking her up (since he also knows that the end of the series is approaching, you know) but before Saya could begin to talk with him really, Tokizane appears forcing the dog to leave and asks about Saya in his concerned voice, but Saya discovering now the beauty of reason asks Tokizane some hard questions which Tokizane avoids to answer which makes him rather suspicious but before that dialogue can get going, Tadayoshi appears which now forces Tokizane to leave and Saya starts with another topic: her mother. She doesn’t remember her name which is obviously odd but Saya silly as always hadn’t noticed that until now. And that’s it, end of the episode. Tokizane seems suspicious, the dog tells us that this episode did another babystep towards the end and Tadayoshi gets confronted by an obvious oddity of Saya’s background – everything you can get from that second half without relying on speculation and guessing. Not really the way a ninth episode should look like, I would say. At this point I would have expected for Saya to ask questions AND get answers but with this slow pacing even doing both these things in one episode would be far too fast-paced and therefore Saya only gets the chance to ask questions but not to get any answers from them.

10. AidanAK47 says:

Well that had to be the most infuriating anime episode I have seen in a long time. Why?

The whole time Saya was fighting that monster I was shouting “AIM FOR THE GOD DAMN LEGS! OR THE GOD DAMN EYES!” It doesn’t take a genius to figure out the flaws in the monsters design. Even then it’s killing all your friends with it’s legs. It can only move with it’s legs. If that’s not incentive to strike them then what the hell is?! But no…you go red eyes and then you aim for the god damn legs. Congratulations. Now if you only did that an episode ago then nobody would have died.
    And those students…honestly. How retarded can you get? Frozen in shock I get. Running to a dead end like the roof I cannot. You might as cover yourself in seasoning and lie down on a plate. There wasn’t a ladder or something?!

And Saya begins to realise that something is not right with the town. All it took was for the dog to remind her again and again during the last few episodes. Finally, a light bulb. Pity we the viewers have already figured out that this is heading toward the Truman show/all a dream ending.
    Still if was satisfying to see all those annoying characters die horribly.

11. Ada Wong says:

I’m not surprised at the criticism of Blood C because this show takes people out of their comfort zone. They don’t like that. The ‘heroes’ always beat the enemy with some new power-up pulled out of their ass, and cute school girls never die, saved at the last second. Well, Blood C is a breath of fresh air. I guess it breaks the formula a bit too much for some. Saya is a flawed heroine. She’s been manipulated / brainwashed or something.

I’m amazed at the material on display here. The violence is incredible, even censored. The fact that its children dying is quite brave. I’m glad the story is centered on the mystery of Saya and not just mindless ass-kicking every episode. This series will be better on second viewing, but I admit it requires some patience to see the ‘big picture’.

It would be interesting to hear what Japanese viewers think of this show because most of the complaints seem ‘western’ – you know, heroes are like Superman.

12. AidanAK47 says:

@Ada Wong, I guess you missed those complaints about plot, terrible characters, weak mystery, Saya complete stupidity to use the power she has to the fullest and instead standing there and doing nothing, lack of any real pacing…..

I really can understand that Hero who fails logic. Hell I approve it. I don’t want any cheap ass new found super powers or always winning either. What we can’t stand is that Saya who is apparently trying her hardest is withholding power and preforming actions that simply contradict that. This isn’t that hero who tries there hardest and fails. This is the hero who half asses it and fails.

13. Ada Wong says:

@AidanAK47, I’ve heard the complaints about Saya, her “inactivity” allowing people to die, but I think that’s part of her character. It’s intentional. Yeah, she has problems, but it was obvious that all is not well from the first episode. Everything seemed too perfect, even that happy song walking to school.

Saya can’t fight to full potential because of a mental conflict preventing her, flashbacks to past events, etc… but who said she’s supposed to be saving humans? Maybe her confusion is because she’s betraying the Elder Bairns. Saya is not really human and might be going against her nature – one even talked about the “old you” not being this weak.

14. AidanAK47 says:

@Ada Wong,
    “I’ve heard the complaints about Saya, her “inactivity” allowing people to die, but I think that’s part of her character. It’s intentional.”
    Intentional or not. Doesn’t make it any more fun to watch. The character only comes across as terribly stupid in both cases.

Now here you are looking too much into her character. Saya has the memory of a goldfish, a single minded goal and a clear lack of understanding for human emotions. No conflict. She simply don’t have the brainpower for such a thing. After all most of the series spent it’s time showing us how dim and air headed this girl is. There were plenty of ways for the writers to make her inhuman side effect her slice of life section. Possibly let us invest some interest in the girl. But no. They wasted it on pointless crap.

“Well, since this series seems to be planned around the Saya mystery they presumably have a solid explanation for all this weirdness.”
    Isn’t it obvious? I bet you a tenner this all takes place in Saya’s head. It’s not that difficult to figure out. We just need to wait for the characters to catch up.

15. wakka9ca says:

Again, I have to the characterizations so far are all paper-thin. There is a difference between trying something different and just plainly present stuffs in a bad way. Clearly, there is more to what is currently happening. The way things are moving are clearly fake enough to show that Saya might be dreaming/hallucinating and the Furukimono may not even exist.

16. M0rg0th says:

@Ada Wong:
    “I guess it breaks the formula a bit too much for some.”
    Blood-C’s formula is hardly anything new or original. Taking a story and telling it in a non-linear way like Blood-C by having a dumb “heroine” forget what really happened at the beginning and why things are as they are seems like a neat idea that has been done before whenever you have stories that rely on revelations done by flashbacks and new characters having information about the plot. What makes this “new” to you is probably the baby-step-pacing-approach this series is taking which means that it took for example nine episodes for Saya to acknowledge the strangeness of her life despite the viewer having doubts since episode 3 or so. And that’s just plainly boring to plan a series so slow that the whole story is told in the last few episodes while the rest doesn’t bother to say anything significant as far as the story is concerned. Watching Blood-C is a test of patience by sitting through hours of insignificant events until the series decides to tell you its story.
    “She’s been manipulated / brainwashed or something.”
    So what? I don’t understand this point where I have to excuse Saya for being silly only because someone made her so – she’s still silly! And it’s not like the creators of this series were forced to make her silly as to show that she’s brainwashed. Also, if she was brainwashed than it was done by an idiot when stuff like the name of her mother was left out which is SO obvious to point out as a hint towards it being a fake-memory. Any reasonable person would’ve doubted the memories from the moment someone talked about this “mother” – but that’s why Saya is so dumb: so that she doesn’t think about anything in a very reasonable way. In the end she’s just silly because the person who created her fake-memories was also an idiot and tried to cover it up that way. In the end the whole affair is just full of silliness.
    “The fact that its children dying is quite brave.”
    Again: So what? Killing children every minute for the first half of an episode is simple exaggeration. The violence doesn’t get better only because it gets more and more each episode. This episode basically just repeated the message of episode 06 that Saya can’t even protect those close to her (but it’s just like Blood-C to repeat that message needlessly). The only difference is that this time even more (nameless) bystanders died horribly while also one of Saya’s close friends died.

17. specracer29 says:

Possible Spoiler!!!

If your watching Blood-C then I assume that you’ve also watched Blood + and the anime movie Blood the last Vampire. Then you know that the Blood series is split in to universes Blood the last vampire and Blood plus. I think Blood-C is apart of Blood the last vampire (or BLV for short).

In BLV we see Saya running around post war Japan hunting chiropteran(vampires) with her handler, and that was pretty much it, but a bit later they made a manga

In the manga Blood -The Last vampire 2000 we learn that Saya is treated like nothing more than a rabid attack dog kept in chains until they need her to kill chiropteran. (In Blood C in some of the flashbacks and when that guy is talking we can see Saya in chains) In the immediate area around where they are holding Saya there is a drastic increase in the chiropteran attacks. So they send Saya out to track down and kill the cause and Saya finds the cause, her sister Maya.

Maya(like Diva in blood+) is a twin to Saya. But unlike Saya Maya can partially transform and needs blood. Through course of their fight Maya explains that she has been sending out chiropteran to attract Saya so she could tell Saya of their origin.

Maya says that long ago humans and vampires lived together in peace because originally vampires did not need to kill to feed,and humans and vampire had a long standing “covenant” and that the relationship use to be symbiotic, but humans envies of the vampires immortality broke the “covenant” and began experimenting on the vampire.

In order find the secret to vampire immortality they tried everything(rituals, alchemy,mixing human and vampire genes,etc) and failed, but as the reserch progressed the only thing that changed was that the vampires killing instinct and combat ability sky-rocketed. Eventualy the vampire escaped and killed most of the researchers.

In the 1900s in a bid to destroy their mistake. The humans using the blood from the last living pure blood vampire created Maya and Saya as living anti-vampire weapons, but Maya was a defective because she needed blood.(some how Maya escapes it never said). Saya’s handlers got into the habit of brainwashing and erasing Saya’s memories after a certain number of years. Everytime they would appoint a new handler and each one would try a different method some treating her like a daughter(Cough cough) and some treating her like a weapon.

Maya tells Saya that because they where both one single being once if Saya drinks all of Maya’s blood they will become one again, and will no longer be pawns of the humans.

The last part of the manga shows that Saya goes back to her handlers and kills them then runs away to blend into the human world.

I think Blood-C is a sequal to the manga and that her handlers somehow re-captured Saya and brainwashed her again and now she is starting to remember.

18. jreding says:

@ specracer29: Blood-C being a continuation of the BLV world is a very interesting idea and makes much sense to me! I somewhat thought the same w/ the flashback of Saya in chains. I also noticed that there are many flashbacks of a scene in a subway which reminded me of Saya’s attack at the start of the BLV movie!

19. Me says:

My opinion on the show has been slowly going down hill for a while, but when Saya asked those hard questions to Tokizane? It was the first moment out of the last few episodes where it felt “real”. I was quite surprised, since most of the show feels like it’s swimming in a sleepy surreal haze with everyone acting so unnatural, but Saya asking why he likes her and how does he know her? Awesome. I chalk it up to stylistic writing and following tropes, but if it’s been on purpose then that would be a nice twist.

20. jzar says:

Episode 09 should have been Episode 01

I have to admit that this was a good episode. I think it’s a shame they couldn’t have done this episode at the beginning.

However you could just skip all the other episodes and watch this one and have all of the story so far.

Just my take, I’ve wanted a story since episode 01….

Look at Steins Gate, they worked a slow story but it kept moving and the small things became big ones as the story moved along
    Not so for Blood C, the story they created took very little content and then added gallons of water to it and then made it stretch and stretch and stretch.

You can’t really saw you want to go back and watch any of the episodes over again.

So in the end I will predict they will not provide us with anything much other than ‘go see the movie’.

Why use the ‘Blood C’ for the Title?

I wonder about that. Blood + made some sense, we would see Saya using her blood to kill the regeneration of the monsters. Her blood ‘killed’ those monsters.

So how is ‘blood’ being used here? Seems you could have called the show anything since it is completely unrelated to the the franchise.

21. Obsidian says:

I actually liked this episode! Best ep of blood c yet and so makes the other eps feel stupid :\

I won’t lie I shared the panic of the school as it was being murdered. I actually felt so bad that(spoiler) Yuka died. I wished she didn’t she was a strong girl and actually took charge of things but then again the class rep got lucky going off to save Saya while she was stranded to save the others (spoiler end) the enigma in this episode was very well executed unlike the others eps. I also agree with Snowolf that Saya’s class was called to torment Saya with being helpless (cool observation Snowolf)

Speaking of helpless Saya did act a bit stupid. I am not saying there shouldn’t have been casualties because the victims also acted really stupid. But Saya was not real;ly fighting cool and after she did I was irked that it took too long but yes I think this is the best blood c ep and I loved it.

It was an action oriented episode but it also showed much horror and panic in a real life situation.

(spolier) I feel teary eyed when Yuka died it was the most painful death I think in the entire series. But yeah I also felt cheated that I was stripped from knowing her. It kinda reminded me of Riku from Blood + which was also one of the most tragic deaths and yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if Tokizane is a chevalier or a chiropteran as Saya(spoiler fin)

Ok, is it just me or is that sweet Gumeilleve a sort of blood source? It really seems so. Saya usually eats it after she started fighting the furukimono. I* wouldn’t be surprised if the cafe owner and her father are the main antagonists of the series and have aggravated the demons to lash out — it’s true what the director you may rewatch the series after its conclusion for Saya is finally growing some brains and realizing that things are strange and not what they seem.

One would think it was hard to top Coppelion and K in utter terrible but GoHands finds a way.
I might hold back on reviewing Hand Shakers, as at this moment I can't get pass its episode 8. Fallen asleep twice during the first few minutes of that episode. Overall I don't reall hate Hand shakers, but the show failed miserably.
Its attention getting, if nothing else.
@Anon, That Yellow is blinding.
I doubt we'll see anything like ACCA 13 for a long time. It's so dang unique in every way: art style, world-building, subdued story telling, etc. It was kind of an anomaly to have an anime like this to begin with. Happy we got to enjoy it though, I really liked it.
@KTravlos: it ends well, doesn't it? My, my, can't wait to watch it tonight :)
Just finished Nier Automata myself.
Little confused as to what exactly I should be feeling.
And thus ACCA 13 comes to an end. A truly exceptional series imho.
@Kaiser, Horriblesubs do direct downloads.
Animefans ftw is dead, animetake doesn't do direct downloads =< Have to find new direct download site now =<
Just finished Rage of Bahamut and I have to say I didn't expect an emotional climax. Also Rita is the best in show here. But really I don't see the prospect of sequel, especially a 24-episodes one.
Evidently so. That still feels just wrong. He's sort of her father. Ehhhh
"I am a slave to my own blood" -Konatsu.
Aldnoah needed actually interesting characters and character arcs instead of boring assholes. Why does it need more time on the lore when it's just generic scifi jib
One minor thing that baffled me beside *that* in Rakugo was they don't show Konatsu's rakugo in the end. It makes more sense if we can see her perform, but I understand that the show have to put new rakugo material and that was impposible.
@Aidan: I think *that twist* is sweet (not). Points for the show for having a balls to address that, but...
And that's Rakugo finished. A delayed finale but non the less a satisfying one....Though on the matter of *that* I am going full head canon and pretending it didn't happen. Because HELL FUCKING NO.
HelghastKillzone
Troyca's Aldnoah.Zero was 24 eps long but it really needed 50 to flesh out concepts and lore.
HelghastKillzone
*Virgin Soul
HelghastKillzone
Apparently, Virgin is going to be 24 episodes and Re:creators is 22 eps long. I don't know how to feel about that.
Catching up with Rage of Bahamoth myself. Say I really enjoy what I see so far. Characters are its weakest part and pacing is uneven, but everything else work quite well
... Feherlofia is Hungarian one. But I have a really fond feeling towards Soviet and those ex-communist animation. Movies as well
@Kaiser: yep, know both of them. Actually
@Topgavin: wuah your love with Madoka. I was like watching that show for 3 times, but Rebellion just once. I still think that Rebellion adds up to the series narratively. Shaft (be themselves) put a lots of extra background details to the Bluray version, so I'm sure you can't go wrong watching Madoka on Bluray.
Guess I'm just in the mood for some comfycore anime. =)
There's really stuff I need to get round to watching like alderman and chain chronicle, giving utawerumono's s2 another chance, watching those dumb old golgo ovas, catching up on Shamo and city hunter where I left off.
@Mario: If you are looking for something to review for the world animation project, I recommend Fehérlófia , a Soviet era psychadelic folktale animation. Also look into the available short animations by Alexander Petrov (he uses a style of animation which mixes oil painting on glass).
Konstantinos Travlos
Finished watching Chain Chronicle :Light of Hacchetias (TV version). While not something to write home about it was not bad. It did a tried old recipe well.
@SuperMario, we dont have to, but its fun to try and pinpoint the real-world timeline to the shows timeline.

@Topgavin, oh yeah. Madoka is amazing.
Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 12 [Where the Bird Flies]

Boy, what an impressing ending to this great show. In a way, I should’ve thought about that, keeping in tradition which what ACCA has been established so far: a coup d’état without any chaos, or violence; an actual coup d’etat but not aiming to exclude the Prince and the royal, but to Furawau district. The […]

Little Witch Academia – 12[What You Will]

I did expect to see the episodic stories return in some fashion but at least the story development from last week is still going. This week Akko is transformed into Diana by a mirror that looks to have some connection to Woodward. I worry that Akko may be falling into the same trap as the […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 25

Thus Rakugo draws to it’s final conclusion and it is rather refreshing to see a genuine conclusive ending in anime, This is a lot rarer than it should be as most anime leave you hanging for another season that may never come or just wrap up things haphazardly leaving it with a unsatisfying conclusion. However […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 11[Resistance]

Studio Nut really must be hurting as this week starts off with a two minute recap of the last episode but what made this episode special is that for the first time, Tanya lost. The start of this episode at least had Ansen pay that check of giving Tanya a hard time. In particular I […]

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 58/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100