Posted by psgels on 12 September 2011 with categories: Ikoku Meiro no Croisée

This episode increased Yune’s charms even more. It started with all kinds of hints towards Claude’s father, but eventually moved on to Yune confessing some bad experiences she had with her sister… while being rather tipsy. It was a really heart-warming scene. And at the same time we also pretty much know what the finale of this series will focus on.

Speaking of performances, Alicealso showed an interesting side of her when she wasn’t allowed to take Yune to the Grand Magazin. In fact, I have to give the overall cast a lot of praises for doing such a wonderful job of acting out the characters throughout the series. I think the only weak spot at this point is Claude, who has the tendency to just be a bit too angsty at some points. It’s up to the finale to make up for that.

An interesting part about this episode was also the theme of eye color. I actually was under the impression that Japanese people just had brown eyes, but Yune and her sister in particular seem to debunk that myth. I watched this episode raw so I might have missed something, but it’s still quite interesting that there are Japanese with such eye colors.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. LilyGinnyBlack says:

I haven’t watched this subbed yet myself, but I was able to figure out what was going on the moment I saw Yune’s sister’s eyes. While it is true that the majority of Japanese have dark eyes (either brown or black) there are a rare few that have brown colored eyes (and I think Yune has dark colored eyes, they just aren’t colored pitch black or brown, but they don’t stand out either).

While Japanese culture and society would like to think of themselves as a completely homogeneous group known as the “Japanese,” their heritage is just as mixed as anyone other country, with a lot of mixture coming from Chinese and Koreans and Mongolians. Some Japanese also most definitely have Ainu (an indigenous group of peoples that lived on the island of Japan before the current day Japanese arrived there and who have lighter skin, rounder eyes, and a taller stature) blood in them.

Some Japanese, especially around the time right before and after their period of isolation, probably gained some Dutch blood in them too. Since Japan still did very limited trade with the immediate outside world (China and Korea) as well at with the Dutch (they really liked the Dutch).

So, blue eyes could stem from all of the above (apparently some groups of South Koreans are known to have blue eyes). Or it could just be caused by a mutation or defect in the genes.

Some Japanese can even be natural red heads, though they are very rare and usually dye their hair black/brown in order to conform and fit in with the standard Japanese appearance.

Getting back to the episode though, I really liked this episode and what it explored (even though I didn’t understand all of it, but I will watch it subbed soon). I am also looking forward to the next episode, this series was really just very sweet and calming.

2. strawberrytea says:

I think the blue eyes that Yune’s sister has are from defect. Actually, I think that maybe the eye color has something to do with her go blind, that the defect made it inevitable that she was going to go blind and the effect of it just progressed as she got older. Maybe it’s corneal opacity. People who go blind tend to have eyes that turn light. Similarly, light eyes can occur before and then later turn the eyes blind.

So the next episode is going to be the last one. I’ve read all the translated manga chapters up to this point, and from the previews, I think I know where the final episode will be going. I’m a tad bit disappointed, but it’s a slice-of-life series, so I really shouldn’t be going into it with too much expectation for a climactic moment. The wonderful atmosphere and charming characters make up for it.

3. petitorenji says:

Everyone is obsessed with things (aka physical qualities) that they don’t have. The Japanese are not to be excluded. That’s why they keep pushing the boundaries to look for ways to excuse themselves into animating some of their race into having the “good” genetic or an unfortunate accidental defect of having lighter eyes, hair, or skin. These colors are more “exotic, pure, and elegant” to them, so to speak, and esp to girls. Yune’s very large eyes have a shade of dark moss green – “to give her more character,” a mangaka would say – aka to make a Japanese child look just as adorable as the French ones. If one speaks of lighting, she could easily have had dark brown eyes.

This also applies to Rin and Iroha.

When one’s eyes go blind, they shouldn’t be viewed as a beauty accessory because they’re lighter.

I wouldn’t know about the Japanese being very mixed, as 99% of the Japanese are, well, Japanese, and I highly doubt Yune is an Ainu.

4. Terry says:

The Japanese are a mongoloid race which, as a professional matter, is a statement about physical features more than it is about genetic stock.

Scientifically speaking, there is actually no measurable genetic difference between “subsets” of mongoloid races such as the Japanese, Koreans, Mongolians, Chinese, etc, even compared to Pacific Islander and American Indian – besides the normal variances you’ll find between individuals of any “race”.

In fact, in the strictest terms, there are surprisingly negligible differences between humans of all races. Even the most sophisticated dna analysis in the United States can’t tell what a person’s race is.

Racial genetics is actually a political study; and most biotech professionals regard it as such. Susceptibility to diseases, for example, is dependant on past medical history and imunization (related to geography), and personal lifestyle. Genetic diseases and deformities like sickle-cell anemia are found in any race and treated the same way regardless of race. So unless there is a practical reason that race-related genetics affects treatments and – ultimately – lives, tehn it is regarded as an inert factor.

Hence, the “Mongoloid” racial distinctions are less about things empirical like “data-sets” or “sample-sizes” and more to do with appearances and racial-identity politics.

For a large segment of Japanese, race is a matter of pride and face. They don’t like any implication that a “pure” descendant (whatever that means) of the Yamato race is indistinguishable from a person born of Chinese or Korean parents.

Many have a visceral aversion to it as if being genetically similar to Chinese or Koreans is somehow an insult. *shrug*

5. LilyGinnyBlack says:

@petitorenji: I wasn’t saying that Yune was specifically Ainu mixed, I was talking about Japanese in general and one of the possibilities for why or where blue eyes could come from.

Also, while 99% of Japanese are Japanese, what I meant by them not being as pure as they make their race out to be is that, well, I’m talking purely about ancestry and what has ended up “making up” the Japanese people, which is Korean and Chinese and etc. They have mixed blood in them, just like every other person out there, it just isn’t *as* mixed as some, but it isn’t as pure as the Japanese would like to believe either.

After all, there is substantial evidence that some ancient Japanese rulers (during the Yayoi, Kofun, and etc. periods of Japan) were actually Korean. There are also a large amount of Korean and Chinese that got stranded in Japan after being held their as labor workers during the war, and have now mostly assimilated themselves into Japanese culture (claiming themselves to be Japanese, changing their names to a Japanese one, and etc.). Of course, that doesn’t change the fact that their blood isn’t (or wasn’t) completely “Japanese” though.

In the case of Yune’s sister, however, since she is going blind then a mutation or defect does seem to be the most likely case. Especially since this series has been realistic in the hair and eye color department and rather realistic over all.

Also, why Japanese draw anime and manga characters as mostly Caucasian is most likely for a variety of reasons: since anime was inspired originally by Disney that could have something to do with its origins, I’ve also heard that the Japanese try to relate better to the outside world through anime and manga by having characters that look Caucasian, going along with that, it is only through animation that they can really get diversity in what they are viewing since most Japanese share similar physical characteristics.

It is also probably a combination of the fact that Japanese society is very restricting and conforming, it is only through anime and manga that you can really get or experience someone with bright pink hair or someone with gold eyes, those hair and eye colors could also be used to add the air and element of fantasy to the piece of work as well.

6. petitorenji says:

@ above comment(s)

Aha. Those who were interviewed that question have done a good job brainwashing the viewers. Of couse they would say that they’re exaggerating the eyes because they were influenced by Disney; they want to be internationally recognized, etc. and all of those good lies.
    But seriously, look at Disney animation – the ones in the the 1930s, 40s, (decades which influenced anime the most) – the eyes are not “big” the eyes are expressive. These are two different things. Disney brought groundbreaking realism into the cinema – but they had to still had to implement caricatures and exaggerations as the simple technology had to make features (namely facial features) simpler. Look at anime girls: take their eye color and hair color/style away. Everyone would look the same, if not the same race. Their eye to head ratio and proportions are redundantly exaggerated, not like Disney – where the style helps the forming of the characters and the plot.
    Japanese society is not restricting anymore. It has always had a dichotomy between its constrictive traditions and its new hype trends. And Japan has embraced that very early on. There is no need to flaunt “self-expression” anymore. We live in a post-post-modern world.
    And of course race is a matter of pride. We have been taught by our teachers and politicians and parents that nationalism is fundamental to a well-formed society. And we have been taught by the media that the skinnier, wider-eyed you are, the more successful one would be.

7. Terry says:

@ petitorenji

Many aspects of the art-form of animation are generated and then grafted by other imitators petitorenji. And though I don’t have a ready example at hand, I’m sure even Disney did this too.

Warner Bros. comes to mind.

However, vis a vis Japanese animators, it is a fact that cutesy “big eyes” weren’t anything new when the Japanese began to catch up in animation and even comic book production. Warner Bros. was among the first to use oversized eyes, noticing that its audiences thought them to be more comical. Disney later used this principle to great effect in its depiction of the Seven Dwarves in Snow White (itself the ground-breaking animation that changed the art-form forever).

But what ultimately set the stage for the “cutesy” big eyes was the ultimate classic “cutesy” of them all:

Bambi.

Yes, Bambi exchanged his “big eyes” for “more expressive” and more realistic versions/proportions when he grew up, but the very idea of them being used to adore audiences was implemented by design in this movie (and accidentally in earlier animations).

That is not to say that the Japanese didn’t graft this principle into their own animated works in the 1960s into films and episodic series like Leo the Lion (nearly 30 years after Warner Bros mass produced technique and 20 years after Disney perfected it) or that they didn’t develop some version of the original perfected artform (Bambi).

It would, however, be rather small-minded and dishonest to pretend that Japanese animators to claim uniqueness or originality much as the Soviet Union once to credit for every invention from chewing gum to supercomputers.

In truth, the artform is no more [and no less] original nor unique to Japan any more than “uniqueness” and “originality” can be attributed to the Japanese race and culture itself.

And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.
*Looks at 3-gatsu screenshot*
Hina =< ; _ ; QmQ *cry**tears*
I am reasonably satisfied with how the houseki manga is in its latest chapters, coming together and the answers it gave.
@Nielo: wow, thanks. I'll definately pay more attention to that. Love to pick up those little details like that so I'm all ears if you pick up something else
I noticed that discord button. If more show up on it I'd consider joining it.
@Amagi: What will happen is that I'll end up marathoning it when more episodes get released, much like I did with first. The guy from the first series (Germain his name was) was a hard act to follow , so far I do think this is more enjoy than the little of the second season I saw.
SuperWooper
LOL, thanks for catching that.
@Wooper: I always enjoy "deep-friend" chicken as well. Tasty, taysty

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 25/26 [June/Ladybug Bush/Feelings]

During the bizarre cold open of this makeshift two-parter, the thought flashed across my mind: are we getting one last bit of frivolity before the other shoe drops, or is wackiness the new normal for 3-gatsu? Over the last couple weeks, we’ve witnessed a lot of exaggerated behavior from characters like Hiyashida-sensei, Nikaidou, and even […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100