Posted by psgels on 16 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

Here is the thing, I have to confess something about this series. I can understand some of its flaws. The characterization does leave a lot to be desired.

And yet, I find myself invested more emotionally than any other summer show aside from perhaps Penguin Drum. And it’s like that for nearly every episode. Because of that I just keep trying to describe why I’m exactly like this. But the thing just is: this show is simple, flawed, but I love every minute of it. And on top of that, unlike most of the other shows this season, it actually looks to head into an excellent conclusion. It’s been promising this from day one.

This episode, well it had it coming that some of the things happened the way they did. However, what I consider to be bad predictability is not when you can tell what is going to happen, but rather how and when it will (after all, a good story foreshadows or builds up its plot twist). The way in which the teacher broke the illusion was a gripping way to do it, especially with the use of the books. The whole scene in the cafeteria also had something really surreal about it. After all that carnage, Saya just sits happily in the cafeteria like nothing happened. It all fits into all of the other moments where she just felt… distant.

Call me a horror fan, but I again loved the fights and the atmosphere here. It’s not even the gore that gets to me the most, but rather the build-up and the constant tension, the slightly surreal setting and the brutal gore strengthen it even more for me.

And of course, I agree that simply being different does not necessarily make you good. A leap-frog getting drunk in a graveyard is different, but also terrible. However, it definitely does help!
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. AidanAK47 says:

It really is quite amusing how each week you try to find some excuse about how this show is good. Lets just face it psgels. It’s your guilty pleasure. It’s crap but you like it for some reason you can’t seem to find.
    Lets just leave it at that.

2. kaiiri says:

i might just be delusional or stating the obvious.. but i haven’t really seen anyone mention it (or i’m blind) … but i swear that “special” coffee that only saya likes from the shop….. i had always thought maybe it was blood. but each time they keep on showing close ups on it… and now even that one snack thing that happens to be red (and he mentions the color happens to be the same as to what it’s mixed with) … makes me think the same about that snack.

it all seems right when she always feels more “relaxed” after drinking it. and always has to start the day drinking it because it “calms” her down.

3. psgels psgels says:

Aidan: I can acknowledge that this is a guilty pleasure. I can acknowledge that it’s flawed. What I can’t acknowledge however, is that it’s crap.

Every week I don’t try to find excuses. Instead I try to describe what I liked about each single episode. In the same way that every week you try to describe what you don’t like about it.

4. Ada Wong says:

I doubt the ‘haters’ even watch this show any more. They gave up after the first few episodes and are still trying to convince everyone else it’s crap. Their loss. Not many animes have me eagerly awaiting the next episode – especially the wtf cliffhanger this week.

Saya is definitely acting like a “puppet” as the Elder Bairn said, but her ignorance of the situation makes her seem unwilling to act. She’s really waiting for answers just like the viewers are.

5. notintheface says:

Aidan just got burned. Woot. +1 for Blood C lovers.

6. Spike says:

It seems more and more likely that Saya’s ‘father’ is also either an Elder Bairn or Vampire, since coffee-shop guy asks if he’s hungry and in the next scene has a bandage on his arm (bite marks probly) and a lame excuse. So I’m wondering how that might play out or what ‘side’ he is really on. That fact there are so many questions keeps me interested.

7. Snowolf says:

A+++++ post, psgels. You stole the words out of my mouth; this series does have it’s faults, but what series doesn’t this year? What I don’t get is the huge amount of hate it’s been getting just because it’s not Blood+ or an action built series for that matter. The build up of horrific atmosphere is the thing this show excels at and that’s what it’s meant to do. And unlike No.6, which was consistent but couldn’t fit in its chockfull ending into 11 episodes, it seems like Blood C is going to finish off excellently, which to me, is pretty darn important.

As for thoughts regarding this episode- I feel like I shouldn’t have, but I laughed when Tokizane died but more of the fact that I suspected something strange about him. Guess that got cleared up. And it’s DEFINITE that Fumito is serving blood and human flesh via coffee and guimauve. He’s also feeding Saya’s father, which to me is the big question here- if Saya’s father is a Bairn why on earth is he telling her to kill other Bairns? Like, I could get it that if, like Blood+, the humans were using Saya to hunt Bairns/Chiropterans down, but since it’s not like that, there has to be something else. All we have left now is to explain what the Covenant is, and Saya’s (along with the rest of the characters) place in it is.

I’m also really proud of how this show is managing to slowly complete all the blanks in the puzzle but at a pace where you don’t really realize it until the very end. I feel like nearly everything has been answered- not necessarily thrown onto a dinner plate and served, but definitely hinted- and now it’s time for the main chunk. With two (I think?) episodes to go, I feel like next week they will confirm everything, leaving a nice long episode for the finale. And then there’s even the movie!

I may be the minority, but I won’t deny that Blood C has been my favorite show this summer, with Mawaru Penguindrum coming up to a close second. It’s going to be a great two weeks to see this show finish off.

8. M0rg0th says:

I don’t think it’s crap, the concept behind this show is solid and I guess one can see it now as the real story is (finally) told.

“This episode, well it had it coming that some of the things happened the way they did. However, what I consider to be bad predictability is not when you can tell what is going to happen, but rather how and when it will (after all, a good story foreshadows or builds up its plot twist).”
    Sure, it wasn’t predictable in that sense but what bugged me about the storytelling in this show the whole time was how I felt like I had to wait for it. The story didn’t really lead me through the plot as it rather dragged behind me while I hoped it would someday catch up to me and tell me what I currently want to know and not just reveal what I asked a few episodes ago. Like that I found the building-up far too slow to really get me to sympathise with Saya since it’s obvious now that it’s her perspective that counts here. And in my opinion it’s mainly because of this bad storytelling that I don’t like this show.

The death of Tokizane was really… weird, it seemed so ridiculously unimportant in retrospective because of the way the episode handled it afterwards (Saya is even singing happily again the next day) but I guess with the twist at the end one should question every death up to this point.

9. Riddlekiller says:

Only people who have watched good anime can tell that Blood C is good. The music, the art, the fighting concept, the emotions…everything leads up to the climax. Not all anime have to have characters that rock, not all anime have to have characters that are immortal all the time. And for the matter this show is the best show I’ve seen all Summer.

10. Cassidy says:

I’m waiting something like this next week:
    “Come play with us, Saya!
    Come play with us!
    Forever
    and
    EVER!”

And this is the best anime from this temp, right after Steins;Gate and Mawaru.

11. Asura says:

This anime never fails to produce various emotions out of me. The monster of the week was really creepy and made me jump when it first appeared. Tokizane’s entrance was so abrupt/tacked on that I can only watch bemusedly as he died. Nothing is sacred on this show. I almost burst laughing when Saya, the next morning began her day singing her happy song, that female teacher(forgot her name), I can only imagine what she thinks when she sees Saya being so cheerful, just after almost all of her classmate died just a day or so ago. I can imagine her going on hysteric and confronting Saya about her very appropriate behavior.

12. Cassidy says:

@Asura: It was the worst, most disturbing part of the episode. When I saw that, I thougt, “WTF??? He was your friend, almost boyfriend, almost the last one left!!!! AND YOU SING???” No monster, mogu-mogu Nene or fight is so scary as her serenity after losing almost everybody she knew!

That was the time that I notice it’s a Horror history, not an Action one.

13. Jérémy says:

I am so glad I gave this show a second chance. After the first three episodes I wanted to scratch my eyeballs out it was so tedious! But it’s only after that I got the point of the show. And now, I cannot wait for the conclusion (is there still 1 or 2 episodes left)? It’s quite obvious that Saya is one the monsters and they keep feeding her with blood and flesh (or coffee and guimauves). The humans probably manipulated her and trained her so they could defend themselves against other monsters. My only question mark, the teacher! I’m wondering if she’s a monster trying to destroy the humans or just an outsider who got fascinated by the rumors she heard and decided to come investigate. I want to know :D

14. Trystan says:

The thing about blood-c is that it isn’t bad as it is; it’s bad simply because it’s too damn short. The story thus far and the build-up have been pretty strong and well paced- had it been a 24 episode show, that is. Up to the point that this show is at, it’s giving me “halfway” feelings- you know the feeling you get in a longer series when it just about hits the halfway mark, right before the “revelation” phase where the main villain + main objective is revealed and the hero gains his/her resolve. And the “revelation” phase will (or should) in good time, lead to the resolution stage, which is the ending.

The buildup in Blood C has been fairly strong- but in the end that it all it is, build up. And now at the end of the build up the producers intend to wrap everything up- “revelation” and “resolution”- in two episodes. That’s not the way to do things. I don’t care how strong your build up is, if your “revelation” and “resolution” are rushed- which they will inevitably be due to the shortness of the show, you are effectively messing up two of the major elements of any good action anime story.

Basically, if what the Blood-C guys are trying to do is done badly, it turns into a blo0dy train wreck (no pun intended). Smooth “exposition,” scrunched-up, smashed ending. Done well, you simply get something that’s “short but sweet” – note short, which also implies “lacking.” “Lacking” as in leaving many loose ends untied, underdeveloped villains and side characters, etc.- but an ending which hits a sweet spot nonetheless.
    And “short but sweet” is never the same as “amazing.” Blood C may end up “decent” or even “good,” but it will never be “brilliant, amazing or potential classic material.”

So I’m gonna call it and say that at the most I would give this show an 85/100 if it does really well for itself at the end- but only in the event that it actually does really well- as things stand, I wouldn’t go higher than a 77/100. Others are entitled to thing differently, and from the number of stars psgels has been giving it, I’m inclined to think he will rate it very highly- but let all who read this mark the words of my prophecy- Blood C will ultimately be a forgettable series that languishes in the shadow of its predecessor- garnering little nostalgia of its own, kind of like Deus Ex: Invisible War which wasn’t an awful game by any means (It even got decent review scores), but was bad enough in comparison to the original that today, many fans of the original simply pretend that it doesn’t exist. It may be that the situation surrounding Blood C may not be as severe as that which plagues Deus Ex: Invisible War, but it will almost certainly be analogous. Fans of the original may not outright deny the existence of this show, but they will not attach the same nostalgia they have for the original Blood: The Last Vampire movie and Blood + to Blood-C. It’ll be remembered as one of the weaker chapters in the history of an epic franchise. Again, good in comparison to the rest of the crappy generic stuff, but far off in quality enough from the franchise standards that it’s predecessors have set that many will regard it as “lacking.”

It’s like paying for a Ferrari but having the makers of the car skimp on quality and put in a Corvette engine instead. A Corvette isn’t a terrible car by any means, and is much better than all those crap Hyundais and Hondas out there for sure- but you’re still disappointed because you expected a real Ferrari. By selling you a car with a Corvette engine in it, Ferrari has offended the standards that it has set for itself as a brand. The Ferrari with a corvette engine may still be a good car, but it still isn’t a freaking Ferrari.

Same thing with Blood-C. The Blood franchise has set high standards for itself with it’s previous anime installments. And Blood-C, while not bad at all by any stretch of the imagination, simply does not measure up to these standards- and therefore remains a disappointment.

And let’s look an example from the same franchise. Remember that live-action Blood movie from a few years back? I almost never hear anyone talk about it anymore- when the blood franchise is referred to 95% of the time people are talking about the original anime movie, or Blood +. The movie (which was awful) is very much forgotten. Now Blood-C is NOT nearly as bad as the movie, but it still does NOT measure up to the high standards that the original anime movie and Blood + have set for the franchise. In years to come I guarantee you that people will mainly continue to refer to Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood+ when talking about the Blood franchise. The movie will remain mostly forgotten, while Blood-C will become one of those “Oh yeah, there was that one show!” kind of things- they might acknowledge its existence, but little else- fans will not hold for it the same nostalgia that they hold for Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood +.

All in all, I’m just disappointed because it’s clear to me that this show could have been amazing if it were longer…

15. diggerdude says:

ZOMG!!! This is my fav anime of all time!!! In the next episode Saya skirt will be lift up and her left breast fondled!!! This is a GREAT! reward to a long time CLAMP fans like ME and MY FRIENDS!!!!

…even my worst enemy deserves better than this shit.

16. Obsidian says:

The story is good now as we reached its culmination. This show starts from episode 7 or 8 so thats a stupidity. However, the enigma in the end and my liking for the blood series has kept me on so far.

I had a feeling about (spoiler) those twins and I thought that they had died but that shadow demon came out from one of them and I think that the teacher can be also a furukimono and the cafe owner did not seen to show suspicion on her too easy for comfort (spoiler ended)

well, the ending of the series is good

17. blah says:

This is a good series. I’ve been constantly entertained and i’m starting to think its the best of the season.

But wouldn’t it be great if this was the halfway point? If there was a reveal and then saya is taken to the real world to start the actual plot. Ahh, I think I really just want more.

I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!
I have no problem with kiss whatsoever regarding virus. Hehe then try to catch it at Toonami
Yeeeah, sorry, my anti-virus isnt that big a fan of kiss.
You can watch it online at kisscartoon, of course at your own risk ^^
I really want to watch the new Samurai Jack season, but I cant catch it when it airs and dont know where to find it otherwise

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100