Posted by psgels on 16 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

Here is the thing, I have to confess something about this series. I can understand some of its flaws. The characterization does leave a lot to be desired.

And yet, I find myself invested more emotionally than any other summer show aside from perhaps Penguin Drum. And it’s like that for nearly every episode. Because of that I just keep trying to describe why I’m exactly like this. But the thing just is: this show is simple, flawed, but I love every minute of it. And on top of that, unlike most of the other shows this season, it actually looks to head into an excellent conclusion. It’s been promising this from day one.

This episode, well it had it coming that some of the things happened the way they did. However, what I consider to be bad predictability is not when you can tell what is going to happen, but rather how and when it will (after all, a good story foreshadows or builds up its plot twist). The way in which the teacher broke the illusion was a gripping way to do it, especially with the use of the books. The whole scene in the cafeteria also had something really surreal about it. After all that carnage, Saya just sits happily in the cafeteria like nothing happened. It all fits into all of the other moments where she just felt… distant.

Call me a horror fan, but I again loved the fights and the atmosphere here. It’s not even the gore that gets to me the most, but rather the build-up and the constant tension, the slightly surreal setting and the brutal gore strengthen it even more for me.

And of course, I agree that simply being different does not necessarily make you good. A leap-frog getting drunk in a graveyard is different, but also terrible. However, it definitely does help!
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. AidanAK47 says:

It really is quite amusing how each week you try to find some excuse about how this show is good. Lets just face it psgels. It’s your guilty pleasure. It’s crap but you like it for some reason you can’t seem to find.
    Lets just leave it at that.

2. kaiiri says:

i might just be delusional or stating the obvious.. but i haven’t really seen anyone mention it (or i’m blind) … but i swear that “special” coffee that only saya likes from the shop….. i had always thought maybe it was blood. but each time they keep on showing close ups on it… and now even that one snack thing that happens to be red (and he mentions the color happens to be the same as to what it’s mixed with) … makes me think the same about that snack.

it all seems right when she always feels more “relaxed” after drinking it. and always has to start the day drinking it because it “calms” her down.

3. psgels psgels says:

Aidan: I can acknowledge that this is a guilty pleasure. I can acknowledge that it’s flawed. What I can’t acknowledge however, is that it’s crap.

Every week I don’t try to find excuses. Instead I try to describe what I liked about each single episode. In the same way that every week you try to describe what you don’t like about it.

4. Ada Wong says:

I doubt the ‘haters’ even watch this show any more. They gave up after the first few episodes and are still trying to convince everyone else it’s crap. Their loss. Not many animes have me eagerly awaiting the next episode – especially the wtf cliffhanger this week.

Saya is definitely acting like a “puppet” as the Elder Bairn said, but her ignorance of the situation makes her seem unwilling to act. She’s really waiting for answers just like the viewers are.

5. notintheface says:

Aidan just got burned. Woot. +1 for Blood C lovers.

6. Spike says:

It seems more and more likely that Saya’s ‘father’ is also either an Elder Bairn or Vampire, since coffee-shop guy asks if he’s hungry and in the next scene has a bandage on his arm (bite marks probly) and a lame excuse. So I’m wondering how that might play out or what ‘side’ he is really on. That fact there are so many questions keeps me interested.

7. Snowolf says:

A+++++ post, psgels. You stole the words out of my mouth; this series does have it’s faults, but what series doesn’t this year? What I don’t get is the huge amount of hate it’s been getting just because it’s not Blood+ or an action built series for that matter. The build up of horrific atmosphere is the thing this show excels at and that’s what it’s meant to do. And unlike No.6, which was consistent but couldn’t fit in its chockfull ending into 11 episodes, it seems like Blood C is going to finish off excellently, which to me, is pretty darn important.

As for thoughts regarding this episode- I feel like I shouldn’t have, but I laughed when Tokizane died but more of the fact that I suspected something strange about him. Guess that got cleared up. And it’s DEFINITE that Fumito is serving blood and human flesh via coffee and guimauve. He’s also feeding Saya’s father, which to me is the big question here- if Saya’s father is a Bairn why on earth is he telling her to kill other Bairns? Like, I could get it that if, like Blood+, the humans were using Saya to hunt Bairns/Chiropterans down, but since it’s not like that, there has to be something else. All we have left now is to explain what the Covenant is, and Saya’s (along with the rest of the characters) place in it is.

I’m also really proud of how this show is managing to slowly complete all the blanks in the puzzle but at a pace where you don’t really realize it until the very end. I feel like nearly everything has been answered- not necessarily thrown onto a dinner plate and served, but definitely hinted- and now it’s time for the main chunk. With two (I think?) episodes to go, I feel like next week they will confirm everything, leaving a nice long episode for the finale. And then there’s even the movie!

I may be the minority, but I won’t deny that Blood C has been my favorite show this summer, with Mawaru Penguindrum coming up to a close second. It’s going to be a great two weeks to see this show finish off.

8. M0rg0th says:

I don’t think it’s crap, the concept behind this show is solid and I guess one can see it now as the real story is (finally) told.

“This episode, well it had it coming that some of the things happened the way they did. However, what I consider to be bad predictability is not when you can tell what is going to happen, but rather how and when it will (after all, a good story foreshadows or builds up its plot twist).”
    Sure, it wasn’t predictable in that sense but what bugged me about the storytelling in this show the whole time was how I felt like I had to wait for it. The story didn’t really lead me through the plot as it rather dragged behind me while I hoped it would someday catch up to me and tell me what I currently want to know and not just reveal what I asked a few episodes ago. Like that I found the building-up far too slow to really get me to sympathise with Saya since it’s obvious now that it’s her perspective that counts here. And in my opinion it’s mainly because of this bad storytelling that I don’t like this show.

The death of Tokizane was really… weird, it seemed so ridiculously unimportant in retrospective because of the way the episode handled it afterwards (Saya is even singing happily again the next day) but I guess with the twist at the end one should question every death up to this point.

9. Riddlekiller says:

Only people who have watched good anime can tell that Blood C is good. The music, the art, the fighting concept, the emotions…everything leads up to the climax. Not all anime have to have characters that rock, not all anime have to have characters that are immortal all the time. And for the matter this show is the best show I’ve seen all Summer.

10. Cassidy says:

I’m waiting something like this next week:
    “Come play with us, Saya!
    Come play with us!
    Forever
    and
    EVER!”

And this is the best anime from this temp, right after Steins;Gate and Mawaru.

11. Asura says:

This anime never fails to produce various emotions out of me. The monster of the week was really creepy and made me jump when it first appeared. Tokizane’s entrance was so abrupt/tacked on that I can only watch bemusedly as he died. Nothing is sacred on this show. I almost burst laughing when Saya, the next morning began her day singing her happy song, that female teacher(forgot her name), I can only imagine what she thinks when she sees Saya being so cheerful, just after almost all of her classmate died just a day or so ago. I can imagine her going on hysteric and confronting Saya about her very appropriate behavior.

12. Cassidy says:

@Asura: It was the worst, most disturbing part of the episode. When I saw that, I thougt, “WTF??? He was your friend, almost boyfriend, almost the last one left!!!! AND YOU SING???” No monster, mogu-mogu Nene or fight is so scary as her serenity after losing almost everybody she knew!

That was the time that I notice it’s a Horror history, not an Action one.

13. Jérémy says:

I am so glad I gave this show a second chance. After the first three episodes I wanted to scratch my eyeballs out it was so tedious! But it’s only after that I got the point of the show. And now, I cannot wait for the conclusion (is there still 1 or 2 episodes left)? It’s quite obvious that Saya is one the monsters and they keep feeding her with blood and flesh (or coffee and guimauves). The humans probably manipulated her and trained her so they could defend themselves against other monsters. My only question mark, the teacher! I’m wondering if she’s a monster trying to destroy the humans or just an outsider who got fascinated by the rumors she heard and decided to come investigate. I want to know :D

14. Trystan says:

The thing about blood-c is that it isn’t bad as it is; it’s bad simply because it’s too damn short. The story thus far and the build-up have been pretty strong and well paced- had it been a 24 episode show, that is. Up to the point that this show is at, it’s giving me “halfway” feelings- you know the feeling you get in a longer series when it just about hits the halfway mark, right before the “revelation” phase where the main villain + main objective is revealed and the hero gains his/her resolve. And the “revelation” phase will (or should) in good time, lead to the resolution stage, which is the ending.

The buildup in Blood C has been fairly strong- but in the end that it all it is, build up. And now at the end of the build up the producers intend to wrap everything up- “revelation” and “resolution”- in two episodes. That’s not the way to do things. I don’t care how strong your build up is, if your “revelation” and “resolution” are rushed- which they will inevitably be due to the shortness of the show, you are effectively messing up two of the major elements of any good action anime story.

Basically, if what the Blood-C guys are trying to do is done badly, it turns into a blo0dy train wreck (no pun intended). Smooth “exposition,” scrunched-up, smashed ending. Done well, you simply get something that’s “short but sweet” – note short, which also implies “lacking.” “Lacking” as in leaving many loose ends untied, underdeveloped villains and side characters, etc.- but an ending which hits a sweet spot nonetheless.
    And “short but sweet” is never the same as “amazing.” Blood C may end up “decent” or even “good,” but it will never be “brilliant, amazing or potential classic material.”

So I’m gonna call it and say that at the most I would give this show an 85/100 if it does really well for itself at the end- but only in the event that it actually does really well- as things stand, I wouldn’t go higher than a 77/100. Others are entitled to thing differently, and from the number of stars psgels has been giving it, I’m inclined to think he will rate it very highly- but let all who read this mark the words of my prophecy- Blood C will ultimately be a forgettable series that languishes in the shadow of its predecessor- garnering little nostalgia of its own, kind of like Deus Ex: Invisible War which wasn’t an awful game by any means (It even got decent review scores), but was bad enough in comparison to the original that today, many fans of the original simply pretend that it doesn’t exist. It may be that the situation surrounding Blood C may not be as severe as that which plagues Deus Ex: Invisible War, but it will almost certainly be analogous. Fans of the original may not outright deny the existence of this show, but they will not attach the same nostalgia they have for the original Blood: The Last Vampire movie and Blood + to Blood-C. It’ll be remembered as one of the weaker chapters in the history of an epic franchise. Again, good in comparison to the rest of the crappy generic stuff, but far off in quality enough from the franchise standards that it’s predecessors have set that many will regard it as “lacking.”

It’s like paying for a Ferrari but having the makers of the car skimp on quality and put in a Corvette engine instead. A Corvette isn’t a terrible car by any means, and is much better than all those crap Hyundais and Hondas out there for sure- but you’re still disappointed because you expected a real Ferrari. By selling you a car with a Corvette engine in it, Ferrari has offended the standards that it has set for itself as a brand. The Ferrari with a corvette engine may still be a good car, but it still isn’t a freaking Ferrari.

Same thing with Blood-C. The Blood franchise has set high standards for itself with it’s previous anime installments. And Blood-C, while not bad at all by any stretch of the imagination, simply does not measure up to these standards- and therefore remains a disappointment.

And let’s look an example from the same franchise. Remember that live-action Blood movie from a few years back? I almost never hear anyone talk about it anymore- when the blood franchise is referred to 95% of the time people are talking about the original anime movie, or Blood +. The movie (which was awful) is very much forgotten. Now Blood-C is NOT nearly as bad as the movie, but it still does NOT measure up to the high standards that the original anime movie and Blood + have set for the franchise. In years to come I guarantee you that people will mainly continue to refer to Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood+ when talking about the Blood franchise. The movie will remain mostly forgotten, while Blood-C will become one of those “Oh yeah, there was that one show!” kind of things- they might acknowledge its existence, but little else- fans will not hold for it the same nostalgia that they hold for Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood +.

All in all, I’m just disappointed because it’s clear to me that this show could have been amazing if it were longer…

15. diggerdude says:

ZOMG!!! This is my fav anime of all time!!! In the next episode Saya skirt will be lift up and her left breast fondled!!! This is a GREAT! reward to a long time CLAMP fans like ME and MY FRIENDS!!!!

…even my worst enemy deserves better than this shit.

16. Obsidian says:

The story is good now as we reached its culmination. This show starts from episode 7 or 8 so thats a stupidity. However, the enigma in the end and my liking for the blood series has kept me on so far.

I had a feeling about (spoiler) those twins and I thought that they had died but that shadow demon came out from one of them and I think that the teacher can be also a furukimono and the cafe owner did not seen to show suspicion on her too easy for comfort (spoiler ended)

well, the ending of the series is good

17. blah says:

This is a good series. I’ve been constantly entertained and i’m starting to think its the best of the season.

But wouldn’t it be great if this was the halfway point? If there was a reveal and then saya is taken to the real world to start the actual plot. Ahh, I think I really just want more.

Oh yeah, thats not a knock against it. Just noting they dont *need* much animation
Well, the nature of Mahoutsukai is slow-burned, so it makes sense they focus more on static, quiet moments
Was that blade 2022 thing supposed to be an example? Because I wasnt a fan. It was stylish sure, but difficult to follow.
Maho is a good looking show, I wouldnt call it a great animated show.
The issue for me is, theres just not alot being animated most of the time. Usually its a pretty slow moving anime, so most of its time is talking and still shots. It doesnt need alot of animation, so it doesnt have it.
@Niel, I think Mahoutsukai can have good animation when it wants to. Like the water viel in episode 10 looked good (Though im not sure how much of that was after effects)
uhhh creepy
the blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki so much
I think the security is the same as here, it's just that Japanese people are less likely to rip stuff (correct me if I am wrong). It seems like ripped anime, manga and so on are basically always uploaded by Americans, Chinese people or someone else.
I was surprised heavens feel was camripped I thought security in japanese theatres was stronger.
Yeah it's also screening in Germany, I will watch it in February, together with Heaven's Feel, Mutafukaz, Kimikoe and a few others.
*on Europa cinema
Nanoha new film to screen next February in the US, come in Europa license it for over here dammit....
Did have some down moments though.
And I guess contrasting Luke with his old self goes some way.
Saw the preview screening of the new star wars, still feel the new trilogy stands inbetween the originals and prequels, fufills its duty as a *** star blockbuster , some genuinely hilarious high camp moments, awful tokenism, Snoke is a shit villain, but two scenes with Luke actually have a pathos to them and I liked the chase/action scenes when they happened. Nobody cares about the acting/dialogue
But there are times when it goes way too far and you can barely make out what is even supposed to be happening. Or characters go so off model that they are unrecognizable. It can be immersion breaking. Much like uncanny CGI.
@Niel, I do agree that it's annoying to see people complain about animation when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Like those inbetween frame screenshot people. But I will say I appreciate on model characters more so than chaotic movement. When the off model stuff suits the tone of the scene like that blade runner part, then it's fine.
niel
I also don't want to see someone imply visual=animation for the hundredth time. Are people really that ignorant of the technical/artistic aspect of the media they consumed?
niel
It just depends on what works best in given scene and the aesthetic they want to go for. People can complain all they want about off-model stuff, but if they really only want that the they won't be getting nearly as much of those impactful scenes as there are now. So many of the ways people complain about it is really irking to me.
niel
normal/low action scenes is different from being on-model during the action sequences and just the ones that need some extra impact in general. https://youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ?t=6m45s
niel
But that depends on the situation though. And I'd argue that being consistent and on-model during
@Vonter/Niello/Mario: Ideally I want it both ways, fluid animation AND consistent model visuals, all the while never sacrificing choreography.
But really, who am I to say. I'm the dude who prefer beautiful shot composition myself
The same can be said with Shinkai's movies since he always prefers static, beautiful shot that people tend to overlook that his animation is quite poorly handled
You're right, but art direction does alleviate limited animation, I mean the old Berserk anime, kinda has a lot of slideshow moments. MahoYome has nice backgrounds, and despite the samey faces, at the very least doesn't come from the same mold as other series. Still cutting corners with chibi segments is was a mistake.
SuperWooper
Is it any wonder that people prefer things to be static/on-model? They want to see characters who look consistent and familiar so they can relate to them.
Nie
MahoYome being the biggest offender of people getting triggered to any kind of statement about the show's animation not being good. And it's absurd because the show's animation really isn't great at all. It's good with distracting people with pretty pictures, but animation-wise it's still mediocre.
Nie
@SuperMario: Not much. Just stuff like "Art is part of the animation weather it's beautiful backgrounds or just amazing looking characters. It's not all about how they move. If it was, CG would be considered great animation" multiple times. I've just been finding myself being replied with these kinds of comment non-stop since the start of the season.
@Niello: What happened exactly, if you don't me asking?
Nielllo
If I hear someone says AMB has good animation one more tie I might actually lose it. It's amazing how people who apparently know nothing about it try to defend this and other people who don't know anything are actually supporting the guy.
Niello
So with Fate Apocrypha episode 22 out, I'm just now learning that people think webgen style is horrible and they prefer static scenes with pretty visual over actual quality animation. WTF. I can't comprehend this. Are casual people who watch animation in general really that oblivious to the art they have been watching?
Berserks Dynasty Warriors style game looked better. Also, Mahoutsukai should be up tonight/tomorrow. Turns out, Christmas is a busy time of year at this job.
*worse
Especially when you consider how good CGI can be by now, look at Houseki or Kado. But Berserk was the worst thing I saw in years, many scenes felt worst than sequences of PSX games
@SuperMario: Same. I love Kon and also consider Paprika's OST as the best. @Lenlo: Me too. I honestly even enjoyed the movies but the new series was atrocious
HIRASAWAAAA! HAAAAAI YOOOOO.
I miss the 90s Berserk.
I was also quite fond of his soundtracks for Berserk. AIIIIIYE FORCES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI
@Amagi: I'm a big fan of Kon so I've watched everything from his. Even bought a book about his works. About the soundtrack, I listened to them as well but not regularly, compare to pprika OST which I downloaded and listen to a lot
Although not completely a manga, Usagi yojimbo also has an anthro character.
Millennium actress is partially inspired by the actress Setsuko Hara.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: The anthro-animal manga is even a topseller as far as I know. Haven't looked into it yet, though. Maybe I will do so.
Speaking of it, I am still hoping Dream Machine will happen some day. Kon died believing it would happen
@SuperMario: Have you tried the other Kon movies like Millennium Actress once? Thought they were really good and Hirasawa is responsible for the OST there too. Or Paranoia Agent which was (IMO) very good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nttSKBJ38k (OP)
Eoghan: Enjoy... ;)
While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?
And man Apocrypha is pretty good but it would be twice as good if it had those two changes Aidan always mentions in the reviews..
@Kaiser: I think the male in Kino was a mistake. Having two PoV sounds good, but he's basically just a male Kino, he even looks like her. Someone vastly different would have been way more interesting.
I'd guarantee that sangatsu no lion would be high up, but FINALLY this weekend I'll be catching up.
Niello
@Kaiser, Ugh my phone gitched. What I meant to say was that background was unexpected. Now I see why you're enjoying CotW though.
@Kaiser, That's unexpected.
I enjoyed how outright surreal Arakawa was.
@Amagi: It bothers me that they're stuffing multiple tales into single episodes.
Ah, excel saga, I wonder what I would think of it now, its been years.
@Amagi: I actually respect Aidan's coverage of it.
@Niello: Yes that edgy villain kid in COTWs was annoying though.
@Amagi: I don't care much for the male character that leads some of the episodes in this new adaptation.
@Niello: Its a non-mainstream shoujo that isn't set in a school, moves at a quick enough pace and has some nice background art/chara design, I grew up on shoujo fantasy manga also so theres that.
I mean there are parts I like. I enjoyed the first episode, and the part about the country of liars. But many other things annoy me and the last episode was the worst. I also feel like the edgy bomb loli and slapstick Kino don't fit to the rest of the show somehow. Maybe I forgot everything, but the "old" Kino felt like a better character to me somehow, this one is more faithful to the LNs though
@Kaiser: I honestly gave up on Kino and I think it's only partly the fault of the new series. I am just so tired of how stupid most of the episodic-characters are unless their are friends of Kino, how everyone gets bent being irredeemable evil for plot's sake and how everything Kino and her friends do gets justified. Maybe I am just too old or boring for this fairy tail like moral bending.
Still have Night is Short review to write... i will get there. I will get there
It's like having potty mouth characters. If you have one, it can be funny and a good comedic relief. If everyone does it, it can come out as mean spirited or trashy.
@Kaiser: I haven't watched A Bad Idea Gone Wrog, as for now my top priority is to catch up with 2017 anime for the Yearly summary. But I will get on to it when I have some free time
Amagi - Chibi stuff I've seen it mainly work in anime comedies with low budgets like Those Who Hunt Elves, Ranma, Excel Saga, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Nanbaka, etc. I think if you really have to use it in a more serious anime, I think it might work if it was part of one character's gag.
Children of the Whales, along with Juuni Taisen, keep falling out on me. Kino is pretty a hit-or-miss at the moment. I don't mind the last episode's multiple tales though
Niello
Problem about AMB chibi jokes are that they arwn't funny in the first place nor do they have a punch line.
Niello
@Eoghan, Really surprise you put Children of the Whales so high, I'm falling behind on some shows but it is still near the bottom of my list (the absolute bottom remains Kino).
The latest Kino episode was a real slap in the face/insult, really really thought that one segement would carry on for the whole episode and be a redemptive one/getting the series back on form but then it followed it up with crap comic relief segement.
@Lenlo: For now yes.
Droppin Mahou Kaiser?
I no longer care what Dia's gender is, no longer I will lie to myself and deem them female.
5. would be juuni taisen
My rankings for the season based on what I am following: 1. Houseki no kuni 2. Children of the whales 3. inuyashiki 4. girls last tour dropping mahou and Kino.
I don't remember Joseph being all that present from what little I read of the manga.
Fear so too. I mean it has a bunch of good ideas and good quality and such, but it feels like it won't be much more than the magical being of the week (or two weeks) and some Elias highjinks inbetween

Juuni Taisen – 11 [To Treat a Man to Beef From His Own Cow]

To the surprise of no one, Rat wins the race by breaking in the right place at the right time with the right weapon. This is by no mean a coincidence, because later on we learn about Rat’s real power: “Hundred Paths of Nezumi-chan”, in which he can see 100 various outcomes and thus picking […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 10 [We Live and Learn]

Welcome to week 10 of Mahoutsukai! Finally, oh so finally, we have are given some backstory on Elias! Our mysterious male(?) lead gets some explanation. We also get the start of a Chise only arc and finally some more information on Lindel. Lets jump in! As the main focus of this weeks episode, naturally I […]

Dies Irae – 09[A Mother’s Sins]

DIes Irae isn’t making this easy for the anime only watcher, as we get confused montages of Lisa’s backstory and oddly of a character whose relevance doesn’t come till a much later date. I would say it’s rather spoiler-ish if the info wasn’t presented in such a haphazard way that no one could really decode […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 10 [Train – Wavelength – Capture]

Girls’ Last Tour examines the concept of time and space this week, as the girls riding on a lonely moving train. The train design fits right in with this world: a long metal box that functions all by itself and contains many now-dysfunctional robots – corpses of the machines. Since last week we learnt that […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 10[Kind Country]

Another remake of a story from the old series and while this one is adapted quite well, maybe even arguably better than the old version, it unfortunately lacks the same impact. The main problem comes back to the thing which ultimately holds back this season as a whole, story choice. For you see in the […]

Houseki no Kuni – 10 [Shiro]

This week proves to be the most action-packed episode Houseki has been offering so far and unconventionally, it’s Dia who takes the central stage at facing the most ridiculously overpowered Lunarian Titan to date. Well, I said “unconventionally”, but when the narration and the execution (the camera work, in particular) come together in such neat […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 21[Antares Snipe]

When Apocrypha slows down, it’s story shows it’s cracks. But when it’s an action showcase it actually becomes quite entertaining. The characters don’t have the time to be developed but they shine in combat when they clash, sometimes showing parts of themselves the series otherwise doesn’t allow for. Astolfo for one was actually useful for […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100