Posted by psgels on 17 September 2011 with categories: Summer 2011 Kaleidoscope

Blade – 12
This episode had the single best action scene of the entire Blade series. How’s that for an excellent conclusion? Seriously, I’m really glad to see that this one closed off with a good ending, and it was everything it needed to be: exciting, action-packed and conclusive. the scene in the air where Eric and Deacon Frost are both falling in particular stands out as creative, and an excellent climax to the series. This really made up for the cop-out finale of the X-Men.

What’s even more interesting here is that this episode seemed very similar to the ending of No.6, but instead here everything was done right. A huge building was blown up, but half the series had actually been preparing for that moment, making use of the huge weakness of the Vampires, the Sun. There was an actual climax in which the characters share a few words, and then move on, rather than just leave without any random explanation.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

Sacred Seven – 12
Well, at least I got a good laugh out of it. If the rest of the episodes would have been like this, at least it would have been a lot more entertaining. Don’t get me wrong though this was hilariously bad. The ridiculously over the top villain was more funny than threatening (Doors?! We don’t need no stinkin’ doors!), but the way in which the creators also randomly decided to just kill him and let Faye be the final villain also made no sense whatsoever. And yes, because of that we got a “talking the monster to death”-ending. What also struck my mind was how hilariously silly the new monster designs were. I mean, were the creators really serious with Knight’s “costume”? And what was up with that green teddy bear or the face of the main villain? Also, this show took “human shield” a little too literal here.
Rating: (Enjoyable)

Usagi Drop – 11
Aand like expected… this show just ends. The big climax is Rin losing two teeth. I get the symbolism, but I still would have preferred it if the creators also showed the growing up parts. I know that the ending of the manga is rumoured to be terrible, but you can rewrite or completely ignore that. Right now, this does feel a bit incomplete, even though this series probably had the easiest task out of all the series that I’m currently watching to create a good ending. Standalone though, this episode again was as good as usual. I especially liked how the adults ended with themes about giving up your entire life for your children. That was a very good climax for this series.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. CJay says:

From what I’ve read its not just the ending of Usagi Drop thats bad, but everything after the time skip. Daikichi apparently becomes a side character and it turns into a high school drama. So I’m pretty glad they didn’t go any further than this. I definitely feel that this could have been a better ending episode though mainly because it just felt like all the other episodes. The montage sequence was nice I suppose

2. rufe says:

Yea, there are no words for how bad it becomes. It’s better that it just ends. The ending is worse than the cheapest Korean drama.

3. Hogart says:

I wish people would stop commenting on something they know nothing about, or treat it like garbage just because it veered off-course from being another Yotsuba-like manga about a cute kid.

The manga was fine, it was just uncomfortable in the end because it went for a decidedly difficult ending that it couldn’t quite pull off (no matter how much it hinted at it from the start).

Not liking it is fine, and it’s easy to get worked up over the ending, but all the excessive vitriol I’ve read is nothing short of pathetic.

4. Polly says:

The rest of Usagi Drops really carries on the bittersweet theme of children growing up. Not at all too terrible, maybe a touch hard to swallow considering the story as a whole though!

5. Wandering Bunny says:

You didn’t do your research mister~
    This IS the ending of the first half of the series.
    The (is it infamous already?) terrible end is the ending of the second half and basically the series in general.
    It’s incomplete because it’s only half the story.

As for anybody that says the second half is “bad”; you obviously haven’t read the manga so kindly don’t spread rumors you heard as if it’s from your own expirience.
    Anyone who read the manga can tell you it continues to be just as realistic as it was before and with just as great execution. It’s terrible because the topic at hand at the end of the second-half is so questionable, and hard to swallow that you end up with mixed feelings and hating the development despite loving the characters, execution and the story’s flow.
    In a way, it’s unavoidable to end up with mixed feelings when that questionable topic is played for serious~ It’s the same with other works who tried that. (I’d list them but that would spoil the whole twist.)

6. rufe says:

No, the manga ending is terrible because in one chapter the mother drops “the bomb” (which I shall not mention because it’s too much of a spoiler) and then almost immediately everything is wrapped up. Honestly THAT should have been another major source of conflict on all sides, not “oh in that case everything is fine”. If they actually resolved the conflict the subject material isn’t objectionable (I mean, I watched Yosuga no Sora till the end…)

7. sheratan says:

The manga ending kinda destroyed what Usagi Drop was promoting throughout the serie; that a man can become a single father of a girl etc.

You can’t watch the anime objectively after reading it…

8. Hogart says:

@rufe: actually that ending explained a lot, regardless of how sudden it was. Rumor has it the author had to end it quickly, since they’d lost readership because it wasn’t a cute series about a little kid anymore. I agree it should have been better, but if the author was purposely rushed then I still think it’s alright.

@sheratan: I watched it objectively just fine? It sounds a bit like you were projecting your own desires on the series a bit too strongly. I didn’t see the same message at all, and there were signs of the eventual ending being a possibility quite early in the series.

9. Westlo says:

99% of people who say the Usagi Drop ending is terrible have have only been spoiled on the ending and haven’t even read the manga.

10. CandiRae says:

I like it when there isn’t a typical ending. I found it to be a bit disturbing, but that appeals to me! Great work!

11. rufe says:

@Hogart
    Yes, I think you’re right that she must have been rushed to end it. That makes it understandable, but still no good if that makes sense.

While the last chapter actually managed to be heartwarming, I was frustrated that all the issues that I feel would come up if something you believed all your life was no longer true and also the issues Daikichi would have to deal with were just blown off with a time skip.

12. Miyu says:

Honestly, they might choose to make a second season, so ending it here makes sense, as it is the end for the first part of the series. As for the “terrible” ending, it does make me uncomfortable, but…let’s just enjoy this series for what it is and not what it becomes.

13. fabulous max says:

Fanboys will be fanboys.

You know what? Im goign to say it

@ Hogart and @ other retarded asshat:

yeah Usagi drop manga sucked in the second half

and you know what? You suck too for liking it!

so go ahead insult those others for having an opinion different than yours becuase you think that an assault on what you like is an assault on you.

It wasn’t but now you’ve made it so.
    so yes, Usagi drops manga second half and ending
    sucks and so do you.

Good day.

14. Ncrdrg says:

I’ve read the manga after finishing the anime. The first part when she was just 6 years old was magical, as the anime was. I noticed some scenes being cut but otherwise, it was a very faithful animation. Those were the first 4 volumes.

The 2nd part was also quite good. Not as good as the first part, of course, but it was still good. I consider the first part of Usagi Drop to be 10/10 material while the second to be 8/10.

Although… that final volume there really ruined the manga. It’s horrible and spoiled not only my enjoyment of the series but it also sent a terrible message that went against most of what the manga created. Even for a rush and forced ending, the author could have done 10 times better than this.

I still recommend people to read Usagi Drop as the enjoyment of the first 7-8 volumes is well worth the disappointment of the final volume.

Customize
Theres also that russian kid who jumped off his apartment after Itachi died
There's a post about it somewhere I think
Also Mr anon, from what I've seen he's suffered from anime burnout and/or real life getting the better of him, so he doesn't have time for the blog (I think).
So I'm rewatching some random show called Seven of Seven and I must say, the old-school tropes are quite refreshing to the current day ones. Like a current day romcom but old school-style (no overused tropes, less cute girls, simple characters and plot), quite a rare novelty that I'd say is worth checking out if you're bored.
ayy, might I ask about what happened to psgels? been gone for far too long.
Yeah I really can't see that.
Naruto, for insight into major philosphical question and demi god reincarnation.
Also featuring moon ninjas.
*insight* *major philosophical questions* *??????*
I can understand that. Before the conclusion the main cast was pretty linear and repetetive character developement wise - the main focus was shounen action for the majority of the series. The conclusion showed us that these characters are reincarnates of sons of a demi god. They build up that past world with such an insight to major philosphical questions but easily understandable & relatable.
People might disagree with this but I like how 91 Days plays out. Low-key but satisfied ending.
@Badesh, Forgive me if I am rather skeptical on that statement.
reaLjustified
Well when the series is two decades old how is it an accomplishment? There are one shots that make me feel more emotionally attached to the story.
Badesh
Hell, Naruto final arc turned out to be one of the most holistic storytelling i've encountered in a while. The character developement ties in so nicely with the whole universe. It's a great accomplishement growing a pop anime into a mature mystic saga. i highly reccomend it even for newcomers. just watch past great ninja war.
*last two
I'll leave it to someone else to pick the last one.
Might add trouble every day by Claire Denis and Livid by Julien Maury.
Thanks for that. So now its under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator, haute tension, nekromantik, the tunnel.
Ah I had forgotten, I'd meant to see Haute tension.
Of those I haven't seen nekromantik or dead things.
That's all I can think for now. I'm sure K-off and others will have more inspiring suggestions down the line
For pychological edge: Haute Tension, Lake Mungo, Three... Extremes (actually the 3 shorts are all interesting), The Tunnel 2011 (underaprreciate Aussie found-footage)
For sick minds, Man Bites Dog, a Serbian film, Der Tolesking, Human Centipede (1&2)
Alright, for pure horror pleasures: Necromantik (1987), Green Inferno, Dead/Alive (my childhood's nightmare), Children Shouldn't Play woth Dead Things (more like a guity pleasure)
Haha scary indeed
@Mario: The scariest thing about the haunting was that a remake of it exists that betrays the original.
Now, let me check my own horror list for more reccomendation
Hahaha! Possession predates urotsukidouji =P in terms of the tentacle monster thing.
And I heard that the Haunting (1963) is good as well. Some david lynch movies (Lost Highway for example) could be claasified as horror too
Shame he passed away early this year. But he did say that the violent relationship in that movie was based on his own divorce.
@Mario: I think Polish directed films are apparently rooted in theater. Though I believe he is a Dadaist.
@Mario: Apparently Possession and diabal, all of his works are full of hidden political messages.
@Mario: That director is genuinely off-the wall insane, silver globe and l'amour braque actually make that look sane.
Possession the movie that Isabelle Adjani stared in? God, that movie exhausted me
Innocents was so much better than its remake the others, the atmosphere was a lot lot stronger too, black and white really adds to the mood too.
ha! I loved those.
This year I'm looking for silly horror movies predominently.
Let scare Jessica to death; the innocents 1961, Kill List, goodnight Mommy
My alltime favourite horror film is Possession.
No fuck it, no sequels. Currently it stands at under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator.
Too lazy to check out which horror movies that you've watched, but sure I can reccomend you some, from shitty to pure camp.
Actually wait, under the shadow is out next week so that means I only need 5 more.
Or maybe a 12 days is more feasible, easier. So that brings it down to six more. Guilty pleasures accepted.
Any room for shitty horror in that list?
I have to do a 30 days of halloween list soon. Want to limit it to horror films I haven't seen. So far I have the return of the living dead trilogy , dagon, from beyond and the re-animator.
I also recently watched stranger things. I felt it did right by its 80s throw back, straight down to the references, score, costumes. Pretty cool monster too and the younger actors I thought were mostly good. Kind of slightly reminded me of the goonies to a small extent. I think it succeeded in being fairly heartfelt. Although I did find it a bit padded.
About the new season, I'm more interested in how these dark horse titles will turn out: Flip-flappers, ClassicalLoid, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Yuri on Ice
@Aidan: I had Stranger Things on my queue list for a while now, but don't plan to watch it anytime soon. Glad you enjoy it.
ReZero is the only show I finished in about 2 seasons. Hopefully the Working spinoff is up to par.
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!

mob-psycho-100-12-3

Mob Psycho 100 – 12

It is a remarkably cheap tactic to pull a fake death right before the climax but that aside this acted as a decent finale to Mob Psycho. Through it’s clear that a second season is needed as the story does set up for one and sadly I doubt this has as high a chance of […]

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373