Posted by psgels on 18 September 2011 with categories: Tiger & Bunny

Aw. To be honest, I found this to be a rather lukewarm ending. In the end, the best parts of this show were its build-up. This really was a series where it’s the journey that is important, not the destination. Both the Jake arc and this finale were the parts of Tiger & Bunny that impressed me the least. But hey, we’re getting a sequel.

The best way for me to describe this show would be “half-baked”. The creators kill off Kotetsu. Oh no wait, he’s just knocked out from the huge blast that conveniently managed to just destroy his suit. There are more androids! Oh now wait, there is a safety code now. Kotetsu is retiring. Oh no wait, he isn’t! Barnaby wants to live his own life now. Oh now, he isn’t, he’s just going to act like nothing happened!

I hate to call it, but I really think that the Sunrise executives had a role in this again. The thing with the sequel is that it wasn’t planned right from the start. The only single hint to that throughout most of the series was the fact that the entire city of Ouroboros was corrupt. My guess that originally the creators wanted to tie Maverick in with that. Instead, they were probably forced to leave open the option for a second season, which lead to the awkward plot twists in this episode that actually negated most of the character development for the different characters. These kinds of plot twists can be done well, but this was just too Ad Hoc and forced.. Because of that I’m a bit iffy about the announced continuation: I really suspect that the creators are going to have to write a completely new story on a really short notice. The last thing that happened was with Marie & Gali, whose second season was completely ruined by the inclusion of a scrappy.

Overall, I still love this show, but it didn’t make my favourite Sunrise series. My top 10 of Sunrise TV-Series probably looks something like this now:
10. Gintama
9. Seikai Trilogy
8. Witch Hunter Robin
7. Tiger & Bunny
6. Gasaraki
5. The Big O
4. Zone of the Enders
3. Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
2. Cowboy Bebop
1. Visions of Escaflowne
Rating: (Enjoyable)

1. qwerty1 says:

You’re telling me that NO ONE has ever gotten a dollar bill wet before and noticed the ominous logo that was later plastered around the city as the symbol for a super criminal organization? Really?

2. Slick says:

Lolz, Kotetsu is the Brett Favre of Hero TV… XP

3. elianthos says:

Ahah, this series has always been riding ion cliches and cheeseballs since the beginning, frankly I don’t get the surprise or disappointment. The characters made this series, the plot was a tool to display and facet them… and I happened to love these characters to bits. I don’t think any character was ‘betrayed’ or changed badly either.

The safety mode thing was hinted at in the previous episode, Saito was trying to crack the system to get the password for the safety mode. Guess what? He did it, just in the nick of time. And it fits with the roots of the whole android technology as their core program was still the one made by Barnaby’s parents. It makes perfect sense with Barnaby’s parents beliefs and it packed a good emotional punch also in the timeskip cemetery scene IMO.
    For the epilogue I would have been fine either with permanent retirement or with what we got, honestly. The best team ever is back, and a hero is not defined by his powers alone… as long as he believes and his daughter supports him, Kotetsu won’t give up ;D. An uplifting ending with hints of sequel-y things to come.
    Frankly, this is my sentimanetal favourite in many a year. Flawed but heartfelt. 90/100 and beyond ;p.

4. Hades says:

After watching Planetes, no doubts it’ll be one of your favorite Sunrise animes, Planetes is amazing, with a great cast and story

5. Perrin4869 says:

Yeah, this is the kind of anime you can just enjoy for what it is. Not a masterpiece, but at least it’s not trying to be.
    Again, I wished it would have focused more on Lunatic, he was a far more interesting villain than Maverick, but I’m also glad with what we got, for the most part.

6. Starry says:

Barnaby just wanted to figure out things on his own. He’s lived his entire life as a tool to Maverick, its understandable that he wants some space to do some soul searching. While it surprised me that Kotetsu didn’t retire in the end, he’s just not suited for a quiet life and retiring wasn’t the answer to his problems. He just needed to be honest with Kaede and know that he has her back. It may have been sudden, but there was a lot to cover in 20 minutes.

I am too worried that Sunrise might meddle in, but I believe this is the original ending the creators intended. The dollar sequel hook thing was foreshadowed in as early as episode 3 (only to be fixed in the DVD release, probably because it could be interpreted as a spoiler) and the creator said he wanted to do a sequel since the beginning. Plus there was no way they could edit the ending so late in the series by the time it got popular.

Overall I enjoyed the series a lot and I expected to get a happy ending from an optimistic show.

7. m says:

There are nits with this episode that bothered me a little. 1. Maverick, an old man, having the opportunity to flash over to Kaede and pull a gun on her. 2. Rotwang escaping from ice in time to unleash new androids. 3. Actually, Rotwang being in more than one episode of this series at all.

I was mildly disappointed in how anti-climactic Maverick’s apology was. He never really explains his participation in the dumb parts of the last half of this arc. Still, there really was no time left in the episode if they wanted their heart-warming conclusion, and if I had to choose between Karina’s book shopping and a few more seconds for Maverick before he vegged himself, I’d choose the former.

Kotetsu not dying wasn’t unexpected. If you wanted to complain about that the time to do it was when he was shot, because the weapon blew a hole through the building, but didn’t vaporize Kotetsu. So either plot hacks or his power hadn’t actually completely faded when he was hit.

I think this last half of this arc felt tacked on. I don’t know that it was, but it always seemed a bit dumber than the rest of the show. Rotwang was a terrible character. I hope falling off a building means he won’t show up in the sequel.

I doubt very much this show would have ever ended with Kotetsu dying for real. It took some dark detours, but this show is, for the most part, about being fun. It succeeded at that better than everyone expected, and I certainly look forward to the sequel. Naturally, without any of the brain trust that are responsible for most of Sunrise’s original crap at the helm.

8. Carbine Gammaximon says:

1) Maverick sure takes his time on everything, doesn’t he?
    2) Koketsu rising from the dead on camera? Epic…Fail?
    3) Origami sure blew his savings for all the upgrades he got this episode. Shining/Flying shurikens? Eye candy yes, and certainly tacked on
    4) Seriously?!! “1 Minute”?!! That’s so….. -_-“

9. Asuron says:

I’m not sure why your complaining about the cliches of T and B. The show has been using them since the start of its inception and revels in them, the real draw was the characters and their interactions. I can honestly tell you I watched this show for the naieve Sky High, the clumsy kind heart of Kotetsu and the rough but honorable Rock Bison and not some complex and masterful plot.

In this regard the shows finale is perfect for them. Kotetsu figures out that being a hero doesn’t mean being in the spotlight, Kaede actively makes him do so, knowing that he lives to help people, the characters all change to be more caring for each other

As for the safety code that was established last episode, which you knew, which makes it strange that you would complain about it.

10. buntan says:

nope, I don’t think Sunrise had anything to do with this. In fact, Sunrise never expected this show to suceed. Even throughout production the staff for Tiger and Bunny were frequently asked to just give up on the show. Thankfully, this was a blessing in disguise, so the writers were free to do their own things for quite a while. I believe the ending is what the original writers would have wanted. I am also not surprised that Tiger did NOT die, not because it was for the sake of a sequel, but because Tiger not dying simply fits in more with the original vibe of the show, and the message it is trying to portray. Tiger and Bunny is fun, upbeat, cheesy, cliched. And that is what we’ve been given thus far; so this is a flawed, but very much lovely ending to Tiger and Bunny in its own right.

11. Hogart says:

Yeah, I agree this was way too sappy and trite, even for me and my lukewarm expectations. It’s really a shame that this Tiger and Bunny’s potential wasn’t recognized until they tinkered it into near-oblivion. But it’s been fun enough to forgive a sloppy ending, and hope for a decent sequel, even if the charm’s mostly worn off.

12. Fauntleroy says:

I need to second the comment by Hades, Planetes will change those ranks for sure.

13. Pax says:

on the Planetes topic: let’s not forget psg does not care much for angst(if I remember correctly).

14. Pafiume says:

You know, what surprised me the most, right above Tiger and Bunny coming back to be heroes for almost no reason, was Origami Cyclone doing something about the bad guy. I feel like the entire show we never saw him actually fight, he just showed up for photo ops, and ran around after criminals, but I don’t remember him actually doing anything. That… Surprised me for some reason.

I was very happy with the beginning of the episode. Right up until we see Tiger as a hero again. But I’m just hoping the next season goes well.

15. Esmeralda31 says:

Starting from your consideration about the importance of the journey and not destination I have to say Bunny & Tiger has not betrayed his style, not departing of a “comma”, even in the final that for many people may appeared to be trivial or anticlimactic, but that was been perfect in its imperfection.

Each prologue, contains in itself some of its ending, and so the25th episode was merely the prologue to the epilogue.

Reviewing Kotetsu falling into the arms of Bunny, and stay there, this time without any embarrassment, finally freed from the antagonism, mistrust, jealousy of his young age, was priceless. Kotetsu knows that the important thing is ”never give up”, he has now made ​​peace with himself, and he is a light weight to carry for Barnaby, who considers him to all intents and purposes, a brother and a partner.
    We should not dwell too much on the destination reached (happy ending), but on the journey that our protagonists have had to take to get there.
    I think the better start now. Today Kotetsu has the admiration of his daughter and Barnaby that will not fight more for revenge, but to be close to his “sensei”.
    The wonderful and mysterious journey, full of obstacles, who led our two heroes to discover themselves accomplices and brothers, is only the prelude to a journey even longer and more complex.
    Until the NEXT PROJECT!!!

16. TCoFAutumn says:

Yeah…. This was disappointing. Not that 24 and 25 weren’t enjoyable, they just… Iunno, disappointed.

Still, if the second season comes around, who cares about 2 episodes that are a little less as an excuse to make another 24 awesome episodes happen? Overall the series were very fun and interesting, I hope they can keep at it.

17. Gamma says:

“There are more androids! Oh now wait, there is a safety code now.”

That’s not true, it has been mentioned before Tiger & Bunny faced off against H-01, that’s what Dr, Saito has been trying to figure out with Ben Johnston.

18. cx says:

Confused u said show didn’t make your list buts its listed as number 7. :D

19. Zenstrive says:

“Tiger and Bunny” has been phonemenal: it rides on the super hero hype without being cliche: it features grown up main character that has a child, it features super heroes as commercial gimmicks, and its main villain is not over-the-top plotters. It flows naturally and the fan servicing minimally intrudes the plots.

The plots themselves are quite exceptional.

I hope they don’t suffer from GS Destiny syndrome: SEED was phenomenal, SEED:DESTINY was produced-by-committee ship wreck that caters too much to fans, sacrificing the story.

20. Delveonian says:

@Zenstrive: Ah, come on, Seed Destiny is awesome when taken from an intellectual perspective, as most good Gundam are: it’s a show that reflects on war and, here specifically, questions the notion of identity, self-determination and responsability(are we memories, genetics, environmentally-conditionned «social actors», thus all the clones, doubles and the trio of enhanced humans that get their memories erased and modified all the time, or the amnesic «Char clone» clone). It’s filled with some of the most thought provoking allegories out there, which are the main focus of the show and whom are supported by the story… Sadly, most people only saw the glossy meca-laserbeam-explosion sugar coating. It’s like being offered a present on Christmas,trowing away the box in favour of the paper wrapping and complaining about said paper wrapping being an unsightly laserbeam-repulsive golden plating… err color. If Tiger and Bunny, or any show, actually wanted to take things to a philosophical level like Seed Destiny did, I would be thrilled.

Customize
reaLjustified
Well when the series is two decades old how is it an accomplishment? There are one shots that make me feel more emotionally attached to the story.
Badesh
Hell, Naruto final arc turned out to be one of the most holistic storytelling i've encountered in a while. The character developement ties in so nicely with the whole universe. It's a great accomplishement growing a pop anime into a mature mystic saga. i highly reccomend it even for newcomers. just watch past great ninja war.
*last two
I'll leave it to someone else to pick the last one.
Might add trouble every day by Claire Denis and Livid by Julien Maury.
Thanks for that. So now its under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator, haute tension, nekromantik, the tunnel.
Ah I had forgotten, I'd meant to see Haute tension.
Of those I haven't seen nekromantik or dead things.
That's all I can think for now. I'm sure K-off and others will have more inspiring suggestions down the line
For pychological edge: Haute Tension, Lake Mungo, Three... Extremes (actually the 3 shorts are all interesting), The Tunnel 2011 (underaprreciate Aussie found-footage)
For sick minds, Man Bites Dog, a Serbian film, Der Tolesking, Human Centipede (1&2)
Alright, for pure horror pleasures: Necromantik (1987), Green Inferno, Dead/Alive (my childhood's nightmare), Children Shouldn't Play woth Dead Things (more like a guity pleasure)
Haha scary indeed
@Mario: The scariest thing about the haunting was that a remake of it exists that betrays the original.
Now, let me check my own horror list for more reccomendation
Hahaha! Possession predates urotsukidouji =P in terms of the tentacle monster thing.
And I heard that the Haunting (1963) is good as well. Some david lynch movies (Lost Highway for example) could be claasified as horror too
Shame he passed away early this year. But he did say that the violent relationship in that movie was based on his own divorce.
@Mario: I think Polish directed films are apparently rooted in theater. Though I believe he is a Dadaist.
@Mario: Apparently Possession and diabal, all of his works are full of hidden political messages.
@Mario: That director is genuinely off-the wall insane, silver globe and l'amour braque actually make that look sane.
Possession the movie that Isabelle Adjani stared in? God, that movie exhausted me
Innocents was so much better than its remake the others, the atmosphere was a lot lot stronger too, black and white really adds to the mood too.
ha! I loved those.
This year I'm looking for silly horror movies predominently.
Let scare Jessica to death; the innocents 1961, Kill List, goodnight Mommy
My alltime favourite horror film is Possession.
No fuck it, no sequels. Currently it stands at under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator.
Too lazy to check out which horror movies that you've watched, but sure I can reccomend you some, from shitty to pure camp.
Actually wait, under the shadow is out next week so that means I only need 5 more.
Or maybe a 12 days is more feasible, easier. So that brings it down to six more. Guilty pleasures accepted.
Any room for shitty horror in that list?
I have to do a 30 days of halloween list soon. Want to limit it to horror films I haven't seen. So far I have the return of the living dead trilogy , dagon, from beyond and the re-animator.
I also recently watched stranger things. I felt it did right by its 80s throw back, straight down to the references, score, costumes. Pretty cool monster too and the younger actors I thought were mostly good. Kind of slightly reminded me of the goonies to a small extent. I think it succeeded in being fairly heartfelt. Although I did find it a bit padded.
About the new season, I'm more interested in how these dark horse titles will turn out: Flip-flappers, ClassicalLoid, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Yuri on Ice
@Aidan: I had Stranger Things on my queue list for a while now, but don't plan to watch it anytime soon. Glad you enjoy it.
ReZero is the only show I finished in about 2 seasons. Hopefully the Working spinoff is up to par.
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.

mob-psycho-100-12-3

Mob Psycho 100 – 12

It is a remarkably cheap tactic to pull a fake death right before the climax but that aside this acted as a decent finale to Mob Psycho. Through it’s clear that a second season is needed as the story does set up for one and sadly I doubt this has as high a chance of […]

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373