Posted by psgels on 23 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

It’s not like I can’t understand the hate behind this series. I myself am incredibly biased against overacting moe stereotypes. so any build-up of atmosphere or character gets lost on me for those shows (that’s also why I am not going to bother with The Idolmaster no matter how good people say it ends up to be). But found this episode to be amazing.

I’m really glad to see that this series knew how to build up. A major problem of mystery series is that they are excellent in asking questions, but rather straight-forward in answering them. This episode revealed the nature behind this world, and it did a wonderful job at it. The backstory of this show is very imaginative. The previous episodes hinted enough to it, but this show really has a unique role for its main character, and in particular the side characters, even though they took a huge risk with it.

I mean, the drag turned out to be a major part of the plot: Saya herself just wouldn’t remember, and so the side characters all got sick of waiting and pretending to be stock characters. Saya staying the same: also part of the plot: the whole point of it was to see whether she could do that. I especially love how just about every character has been putting up a huge act in front of Saya. I mean, I saw that coming, but not in this magnitude. Seriously, in terms of overall plot, I’d say that the balls of this series this season are second to only Penguin Drum. I love the shows like these that take risks like this.

With this, I can really forgive the wait. I mean, I dislike series that focus too much on building up, but I absolutely love the kinds of series that just build up to one climax, and make that count. This all came together wonderfully. My one complaint is that at times the acting was a bit awkward. Mostly when characters started yelling, it wasn’t the most believably drawn.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Carbine Gammaximon says:

. Mostly when characters started yelling, it wasn’t the most believably drawn.

I know right? It almost struck me as a “vent-your-fears-session”, until HE shows up.

I can’t believe we went through 9-10 episodes without fully knowing what was going on until now. Awesome.

2. Leo says:

wow, characters just did an 180 flip… I am so shock, Poor Saya

3. betawatcher says:

At least Idolm@ster isn’t half as bad as shows like TWGOK & BakaTest 2 (I admit I enjoyed the 1st season but the 2nd just draaaags and boooores me now). It’s not even THAT fanservice-y (like panty shots and stuff), which is why I like it. Too many things cater to guys these days…

You can skip episode 2 though. That was bad. (Yukiho & Yayoi’s voice just annoys me in general)

4. betawatcher says:

Edit: episode 3

5. Obsidian says:

As I said Blood started gestating after Episode 8 and I had a feeling on most of the characters in this series. I know *spoiler* that Fumito was kinda eerie so I wasn’t surprised seeing the guy as a antagonist in the show but Tokizane annoyed me Tomofusa and Yuka look genuinely worried about Saya *spoiler end*

This episode was one of the best ^_^

6. KrazyKobun says:

I highly disagree about Blood-C and The iDOLM@STER. The characters in iM@S proved to have much more depth than anyone in Blood-C as the girls are always developing. The stories are lighthearted while entertaining and the girls give you reasons to like to them other than the fact that they’re “moe” too. I guess people who hate moe for biased reasons wouldn’t notice that right?

Blood-C just drags on and has cheap emotional manipulation throughout (by using cheap shock value with exploitative violence), except many of us didn’t buy any of the bullshit. Half of the series could have easily been removed and the plot wouldn’t show the slightest hint of compression.

This episode was unintentionally hilarious. It takes this long for plot, characterization, and intrigue to happen!?! It’s like watching a really over extended and crappy M. Night Shamaylan film. Sorry, that’s pretty awful storytelling. Yes, this episode was interesting but at this point, there is no saving this series from bashing. It’s too late. This intriguing twist does not rectify or justify the rest of the series. It was monotonous, boring, gratuitous, and annoying for 9 straight episodes. Saya doesn’t provide any valid reasons for viewers to care about her.

I do agree that Blood-C is genuinely horrific at times, but that’s it. This show is so mediocre. I don’t understand your constant praise of it. If a moe show was doing this nonsense, I think you wouldn’t be as nice about it.

I can’t wait for this show to be over, and no matter how “amazing” the ending may be, Blood-C will still receive a 4/10 in my book, as only a quarter of the series was actually interesting.

7. Cassidy says:

>_>

_>

Where are the haters? e_e

Anyway, GREAT episode, can’t wait for the “end” next week. But I really doubt the anime will end next episode… I bet in a cliffhanger that will leave us in rage until the real End in the following movie.

8. qwerty1 says:

Is it just me…

Or are the twins even more awesome as sadistic criminals.

9. M0rg0th says:

“It’s not like I can’t understand the hate behind this series. I myself am incredibly biased against overacting moe stereotypes. so any build-up of atmosphere or character gets lost on me for those shows (that’s also why I am not going to bother with The Idolmaster no matter how good people say it ends up to be).”
    Uh, do you mean to say it’s biased to hate Blood-C?
    “I mean, the drag turned out to be a major part of the plot”
    Yeah, a real comedy, right? Doing something bad storytelling-wise isn’t *really* bad as long as it’s done on purpose – that’s a great philosophy for making animes in the future. I think, even if it’s part of the story that the story dragged that much as to force people other than the main-character to act, just so the plot could finally progress – it’s still a story that dragged until now (which isn’t good no matter what the explanation is). The series admitted it even that it was a totally useless farce overall until now and the bad storytelling just doesn’t disappear only because the series agrees with my complaints of the story.

But it will be interesting to see where the series goes from here and it might become really good if including all these morally ambiguous characters means that the story will be as morally ambiguous from now on.

10. dominus says:

Big Spoiler# Saya is used and abused and is in a constant druged state and you so long discourses about her self nature is pure nonsense I like the job they did in the serie and theres a reason why the side characters have no big back story They are actors in a big farce they are bland because of that everything is made up they are simply used as “presssure points” to realease saya´s true nature.
    I especialy like how most of them turn out to be just plain bad humans and not some halfass crying moe characters simply said theres is really people like that that do everything for profit or for a new clean life(evil twins)simple normal humans can be the “real monsters” and this episode is a prime example of that .
    Saya is seen as nothing more than a Beautiful doll with a dark side that everybody fears but end using for their own goals this fact is the central point of every blood series and blood c does that with a heavy dose of mystery .

11. Frost says:

Saya has to be the worst main character ever, period… Its just depressing how much they ruined the character, she seems to have the brains of a peanut and just stands there in shock as if everything they were saying wasnt obvious 7 episodes ago

Heres the problem, a boring show doesnt become good just because it is boring on purpose, thats just bad execution… Like many people said this episode ended up being hilarious because of all the reactions and the stupid twins etc, “so bad its good” type, so I guess it deserves an extra point for that

But the best part is the plot is the stupidity of the plot… Sure, I bet lots of teenagers would go to a random island full of monsters risking their lives, just for some money, makes perfect sense LOL

For those people saying “IF you hate it why are you still watching it?” – duh, for the same reason you watch indian movies etc, train wrecks = guaranteed lulz

12. psgels psgels says:

Frost: while I can understand some of the complaint mentioned here in the comments, I do think that you’re severely overexaggerating. Getting annoyed by Saya is perfectly reasonable, but “worst main character ever”? Seriously?

And yeah, I bet lots of people would go and borrow money from the mafia risking their lives, just for some money. Makes perfect sense LOL.

13. Joojoobees says:

I think it is hilarious that people have complained week after week about this or that as if the writers overlooked something only for it to turn out that the writers were two steps ahead all along. Yes, it is strange that she starts singing the morning after she sees her friend killed — except when you consider she is drugged and hypnotized. To some of us it was quite clear that the show’s creators were trying to create a strange situation that hid a mystery, to others it was a bad show because everything wasn’t explained to them in tiny little bite-sized chunks. The creators decided to SHOW NOT EXPLAIN, and we get people decrying this as bad writing because it wasn’t obvious what was shown, that Saya was acting illogically for the situation.

14. Puran says:

So here is the problem. People find it boring. I caught up with the series yesterday and I have to say, I enjoyed it. I know it has a lot of the usual Clamp style …”mystery”. A lot of unfinished sentences at critical points, always something is about to happen but never does etc.

But it did manage to build an atmosphere, and it did throw enough bones to maintain my interest. Maybe it worked better for me because I marathoned it.

(on a completely different sidenote: psgels, I’ve been trying to post on the shoutbox for the last couple of days and it’s saying that I’m banned?… Is it my ip? I have dynamic IP so it will probably change in a few days I hope.)

15. psgels psgels says:

Puran: oh sorry. Were you perhaps Bent Faker?

The thing is, that I have a very straight-forward policy with random trolls: ban and ignore. With that, I unfortunately didn’t realize that it was you. Apologies.

16. Whisperer says:

yeah, psgels, totally with you on the moe aspect. For example, there I was, watching the first episode of Higurashi, and everything was a-ok until a girl started speaking for the first time. When I realized that ALL their voices were BEYOND horrifying just for the sake of “cute”, I ran away and never looked back. Of course, there is such a thing called “moe done right” – Gintama’s Kagura, for example.

17. Watainu says:

This episode made one thing clear: Blood-C rules. S*ck it haters!

18. Snowolf says:

I’ve just given up on trying to explain it to people; if you hate Blood C, that’s fine, but to think it’s the worst thing ever, god, you really must be narrow minded.

I’m DONE. If you hate a show, stop WATCHING IT. It is not so hard to drop a show. I did it with IDOLMASTER and god it was a good action. I haven’t regretted it since nor have I been consistently whining about it like the five year olds you all are. You are fine not liking Blood C, but if you can’t do anything but talk about how boring it is and how predictable it is and then yell at psgels for liking it, then I pity you.

19. Blue Bomber says:

I sooo called this in the ep 6 comments. :3

Can’t wait to see how they wrap this up next ep and lead into the movie.

20. notintheface says:

I find it baffling how the people who so obviously hate this show still watch it, presumably so that they can come here and tell us all how bad it is. Luckily we know that they secretly love it.

21. notintheface says:

22. Blood-C = LOL show in disguise says:

There is no twist because this drug and action stage stuff has been predictd by everyone since Episode 4. (excepts CLAMP fan who only WAI WAI at crossover and CLAMP universe and such)

Now I know why I keep watching Blood-C. I watch it because it keeps getting worse with every episode to the point that it became LOL show and I no longer take it seriously.

It makes me LMAO to CLAMP and the director and I love it. This show is such a stress relief.

23. yellow says:

(it’s out of subject, but i re-realised how long the character’s necks are xD)
    well, it’s clamp^ ^

24. Puran says:

( @psgels: I actually hadn’t posted in the shoutbox in a while and I surely didn’t post under a different nickname, which made the fact that I was banned even weirder. It seems I can post now though, cheers! )

25. ShyBlue says:

I really dislike Blood-C, but I stuck with it for a long time because the fights were amazing, Clamp’s character designs were eye candy, and I used to like Saya. Plus, I had hope that the story would still unfold in an amazing way since CLAMP had a say in it.

But by episode 11…I realized that it wasn’t going anywhere. The plot twist could be seen from MILES away. And I just didn’t like Saya anymore. Because she was just becoming cruel. Yeah, she was drugged, I get that, but she was drugged TO THINK THAT THE MONSTERS KILLED PEOPLE. In other words, she thinks that the furukimono killed her friends, and she STILL doesn’t give a crap.

Well, right now, I’m still only watching this show for its production values, its atmosphere (I’ll give it credit for creating a nice mood) and only because I’ve come this far. Might as well watch the last few episodes of this thing.

26. ShyBlue says:

Oh, and my thoughts put aside. (>.>) I think the title of the post needs to be edited. ^^;

27. Aidanak47 says:

As a hater, please let me explain why people keep watching this show.

1: At this point we have watched almost the entire show. There’s only a few episodes left. Those of us with completionist attitudes say “Well I might as well…”
    2: Believe it or not we do hold out hope that this show might surprise us. Even the worst shows can sometimes bring remarkable twists. For example the ever17 VN was very boring but I must admit that twist in the true route was ingenious.
    3: This relates to 2. We read people saying “OMG MY MIND IS BLOWN! BLOOD-C RULES!” and think that maybe….just maybe this episode might pull something interesting only to watch and get disappointed. Then we lash it out on you.
    4: If only those who liked the who watched it then it would get overrated and mislead others into watching it and wasting there time. Some people need to say the truth. Plus I will admit that there is some joy in hating something. We love to hate it.
    5: This show is an excellent example of poor storytelling. For those of us who wish to be writers ourselves it’s a good learning experience of what to avoid.

And there you have it. All I can say now is that if you think a big unimaginative infodump is better storytelling than explaining it over the course of a narrative then it’s best to keep it to yourself.

28. Vera says:

I’m with Aidanak47’s no. 1 point: the only reason I kept watching was because I wanted to know what happens.

I mean I bloody watched Rainbow Gate till the end (though that was more an exercise in “surely things can’t end up being even MORE ridiculous”). So I figured this show couldn’t be worse.
    On the one hand, it turned out to be much better (am looking forward to the movie). Nevertheless dragging the story on and on till episode 8 was a rather poor choice of a story, most especially considering that the show is only 12 episodes long.

Ah well, I guess I might as well finally watch the first Blood movie :P

29. jzar says:

Aidanak47 you nailed it. A very well stated premise.

As a hater, please let me explain why people keep watching this show.

The only thing I can add is…….

Just don’t read the comments if you don’t like what they say.

You can’t can you?

I have enjoyed the comments much more than the show itself at this point. I will still watch the last episode just to see it. Hope for the best and expect the worst. You won’t often be wrong.

30. AidanAK47 says:

[quote]Just don’t read the comments if you don’t like what they say.

You can’t can you?[/quote]

You got me there. I am afraid it’s impossible for me. When I read something I disagree with I read it fully to find contradictions to exploit. It’s one of the drawbacks of being an egotistical bastard who always thinks he is right.
    Still I wear the title of egotistical bastard with pride.

31. No says:

It really is like a Shamaylan movie. Except after he turned crappy.

32. ori says:

I keep watching cause I really want to like it. I like the Blood series and I like many of Clamp’s series.

But alas, I really do hate this BloodC. The deaths were so meaningless, the characters are annoying, the episodes are so horribly structure and some parts are so slow I want to destroy my computer.

33. Obsidian says:

@ joojoobees its not because people want bite-size pieces and because of showing and telling :\ it’s first episodes were crap except some details — most of us hung on for the action.

I will admit it had some good story points even comparatively to Blood + but yes like Blood + it has crap too and until episode 8 nothing really is worth watching. The dog tries his best to make Saya realize things but she is too idiotic to understand stuff. In fact she never does question things until episode 10. So yeah after episode 8 the plot starts and before that no one really needs to watch it unless for certain kicks.

If you think of showing not telling storylines then even Ghost In The Shell beats Blood C with its enigma and gradual information and action build up so unlike GITS which gets a 5/5 Blood C gets 3 or 3.5/5 for trying. It has a nice climax but holes in storytelling are just holes in storytelling.

There are a lot more you can do with a 12 episode anime show with regards to subtlety but it does not do that so yeah it fails in tacit storytelling but triumphs in gore, blood and finale.

34. Definitely says:

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using? I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

@Mario: its back up now though.
@Mario: Its front page has server issues from time to time sometimes for hours.
I just read some manga on kissmanga a week ago, is the site down already?
Niello
Well to be fair batoto is down because of the site owner personal reason.
So Mangahere, mangachapter, baoto, animea seem to be gone and kissmangas front page is down , mangafox is slow, whats next to go down....
Niello
I don't currently see an anime this season that really stands out from the others. Right now if I have to rank them
1) Miira no kaikata
2) Kokkoku
3) Sora yori mo tooi basho
4) Koi wa ameagari no you ni
5) Takagi-san.
Not counting Devilman Crybaby since it's already finished.
Niello
@Eoghan I love Urobuchi and still find the Godzilla film weak.
I just looked through the nominations for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards and to my surprise, it's a pretty solid lineups. Find myself agreeing with most of their choices there
Actually forgot about it.
I don't know why you don't just read kara no shoujo 2 instead.
And Himawari is actually boring me. It's proving difficult to push myself though just to see where the point that makes it highly regarded comes in.
@Aidan: In the end I was pretty much curious about it.
Yep, that's it. Gonna stop discord displaying what I play from now on. It's weird when people comment on it.
Now my current rankings: 1. Devilman
2.Junji itou
3. sangatsu
4. Cardcaptor sakura
5. Pop team
6. Evergarden.
*Aidan
I'm joking obviously, but I am surprised to see you playing Himawari Aiden.
Oh Aidan you and your lolicon visual novel you =P
@Alonaria: Shin Godzilla had the evolving godzilla thing and that freaky ass final shot too, it also justified itself quite well i think by showing how relevent he is today, given the nuclear thing and that it drew on the Fukushima incident essentially.
@Alonaria: Thats a far better and shorter way of putting it than I.
Alonaria
I wish I'd just waited for the other parts of the Godzilla movie trilogy to be released. As it is, I'm just going to remember it as "that incomplete movie." And the character designs kind of blurred together for me, which was really disorienting.
Oh psgels is back
But I've seen other Godzilla things so I pretty much was supposed to see this anyway.
Or you know you could always take what I said with a pinch of salt, because you know....I don't get on with Urobutcher.
The idea behind it is definately cool and a different spin for the franchise though.
Maybe I was held back a bit by the cgi or the mediorce voice acting.
But I'd need to see its followup before properly assessing it.
Godzilla often makes for silly films, but lke alot of silly older films the silliness and seriousness combine without clashing, this one is too Poe faced .
I saw that Godzilla anime film, I'd describe it as watchable in parts but far too caught up in setup mode and an unlikeable protaganist , it could go somewhere with what it raised at the start but this is an example of a first film in a trilogy that suffers from being unable to currently stand on its own.
I generally feel that Itou's stories have a winning track record but theres exceptions, Uzumaki and Gyo in manga form struggle toward the end and the first episode story the anime chose to adapt is, while fun one of the weaker offerings.
Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"
Like, seriously you could do really interesting story variant on isekai with that if done right. Suddenly becoming characters you have roleplayed would be trippy as hell espicially if one of characters went really into detail with backstory while one of them is just "Bob the fighter, he likes fighting" and has to deal with what happens when you assume life of such a person
But I wouldn't honestly be surprised because of my anger issues related to amount of unimaginative isekai :P Though I guess trpg based one would be more imaginative in comparison
I'd assume not since I assume tabletop rpgs are much more niche than jrpgs in japan
So has anyone yet done isekai where guys getting transferred were playing trpg? :P
quite happy with most recent Attack of Titan manga chapter.
Alright, one more impression post to go before we really get on to new season
@Kaiser: yep, I just fixed it. Thank you
*than just the reviewers names
A slight problem with the coding there in the newest impression, showing code gobbledeegook rather than the reviewers names above their impressions.
@Mario: I'm seeing it on 2nd of February.
@Mario: Late screeners generally leak shortly after the uk release, so maybe early Febbruary it'll be online?
@Kaiser: yep, Phantom Thread. Could be Daniel Day Lewis's final performance. Is it available online already?
@Mario: Did you know that Paul Thomas Anderso8n has a new film coming out? Also I found out there is a Polish semi-knockoff of purple rose of cairo.
Awesome, just got myself an invite to a secret private torrent site =)
@Kaiser When I was in University, I was a waiter at a Korean-owned Japanese Sushi restaurant with a kitchen staff of entirely Mexicans with poor English. The owner, while he provided the rest of his staff with small meals during our lunch or dinner shifts, never game any to the kitchen staff. The guy even ranted to a customer about how "lazy" or "ignorant" they were.
Buses are pretty common in America, even outside the major super-cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago. It's public rail you're thinking of that we don't have much of outside the cities.
I brought up the racisim/aunt story wondering if anyone had any horror stories about where they worked?

After the Rain – 02 [Rain Drops on Green Leaves]

It has been exactly a year since I last blogged you, noitaminA shows, and this time again it’s another romance drama. Unlike Scum’s Wish last year, however, Ameagari has one simple premise, but it executes the idea with such grace. This second episode is even stronger than the first, setting the stepping stone for Tachibana […]

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 02 [Kabukicho Fremantle]

I’m glad that this second episode addresses straight out all my worries from the first episode: the actual implementation to make that trip a reality, because boy, it’s no simple matter. Universe apparently does its research, telling us exactly places they need to go, the initial trip ahead and the amount of money they need […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 33/34 [Where the Sun Shines…Light]

It’s been three weeks since my last 3-gatsu post, a gap owed in part to the break the show took around New Years’. Perhaps it’s because of all that time away from the series, or maybe it’s due to the massive difference between these two episodes, but I had a tough time connecting with the […]

Dies Irae – 10/11[Einherjar/Self-Destruction Factor]

Quite late in covering this one though out of the three shows I covered for the fall season my level of interest in this series has more or less evaporated. Truth be told, while this is a episode review of ten and eleven, i honestly cannot even remember what happened in episode ten. I think […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]