Posted by psgels on 23 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

It’s not like I can’t understand the hate behind this series. I myself am incredibly biased against overacting moe stereotypes. so any build-up of atmosphere or character gets lost on me for those shows (that’s also why I am not going to bother with The Idolmaster no matter how good people say it ends up to be). But found this episode to be amazing.

I’m really glad to see that this series knew how to build up. A major problem of mystery series is that they are excellent in asking questions, but rather straight-forward in answering them. This episode revealed the nature behind this world, and it did a wonderful job at it. The backstory of this show is very imaginative. The previous episodes hinted enough to it, but this show really has a unique role for its main character, and in particular the side characters, even though they took a huge risk with it.

I mean, the drag turned out to be a major part of the plot: Saya herself just wouldn’t remember, and so the side characters all got sick of waiting and pretending to be stock characters. Saya staying the same: also part of the plot: the whole point of it was to see whether she could do that. I especially love how just about every character has been putting up a huge act in front of Saya. I mean, I saw that coming, but not in this magnitude. Seriously, in terms of overall plot, I’d say that the balls of this series this season are second to only Penguin Drum. I love the shows like these that take risks like this.

With this, I can really forgive the wait. I mean, I dislike series that focus too much on building up, but I absolutely love the kinds of series that just build up to one climax, and make that count. This all came together wonderfully. My one complaint is that at times the acting was a bit awkward. Mostly when characters started yelling, it wasn’t the most believably drawn.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Carbine Gammaximon says:

. Mostly when characters started yelling, it wasn’t the most believably drawn.

I know right? It almost struck me as a “vent-your-fears-session”, until HE shows up.

I can’t believe we went through 9-10 episodes without fully knowing what was going on until now. Awesome.

2. Leo says:

wow, characters just did an 180 flip… I am so shock, Poor Saya

3. betawatcher says:

At least Idolm@ster isn’t half as bad as shows like TWGOK & BakaTest 2 (I admit I enjoyed the 1st season but the 2nd just draaaags and boooores me now). It’s not even THAT fanservice-y (like panty shots and stuff), which is why I like it. Too many things cater to guys these days…

You can skip episode 2 though. That was bad. (Yukiho & Yayoi’s voice just annoys me in general)

4. betawatcher says:

Edit: episode 3

5. Obsidian says:

As I said Blood started gestating after Episode 8 and I had a feeling on most of the characters in this series. I know *spoiler* that Fumito was kinda eerie so I wasn’t surprised seeing the guy as a antagonist in the show but Tokizane annoyed me Tomofusa and Yuka look genuinely worried about Saya *spoiler end*

This episode was one of the best ^_^

6. KrazyKobun says:

I highly disagree about Blood-C and The iDOLM@STER. The characters in iM@S proved to have much more depth than anyone in Blood-C as the girls are always developing. The stories are lighthearted while entertaining and the girls give you reasons to like to them other than the fact that they’re “moe” too. I guess people who hate moe for biased reasons wouldn’t notice that right?

Blood-C just drags on and has cheap emotional manipulation throughout (by using cheap shock value with exploitative violence), except many of us didn’t buy any of the bullshit. Half of the series could have easily been removed and the plot wouldn’t show the slightest hint of compression.

This episode was unintentionally hilarious. It takes this long for plot, characterization, and intrigue to happen!?! It’s like watching a really over extended and crappy M. Night Shamaylan film. Sorry, that’s pretty awful storytelling. Yes, this episode was interesting but at this point, there is no saving this series from bashing. It’s too late. This intriguing twist does not rectify or justify the rest of the series. It was monotonous, boring, gratuitous, and annoying for 9 straight episodes. Saya doesn’t provide any valid reasons for viewers to care about her.

I do agree that Blood-C is genuinely horrific at times, but that’s it. This show is so mediocre. I don’t understand your constant praise of it. If a moe show was doing this nonsense, I think you wouldn’t be as nice about it.

I can’t wait for this show to be over, and no matter how “amazing” the ending may be, Blood-C will still receive a 4/10 in my book, as only a quarter of the series was actually interesting.

7. Cassidy says:

>_>

_>

Where are the haters? e_e

Anyway, GREAT episode, can’t wait for the “end” next week. But I really doubt the anime will end next episode… I bet in a cliffhanger that will leave us in rage until the real End in the following movie.

8. qwerty1 says:

Is it just me…

Or are the twins even more awesome as sadistic criminals.

9. M0rg0th says:

“It’s not like I can’t understand the hate behind this series. I myself am incredibly biased against overacting moe stereotypes. so any build-up of atmosphere or character gets lost on me for those shows (that’s also why I am not going to bother with The Idolmaster no matter how good people say it ends up to be).”
    Uh, do you mean to say it’s biased to hate Blood-C?
    “I mean, the drag turned out to be a major part of the plot”
    Yeah, a real comedy, right? Doing something bad storytelling-wise isn’t *really* bad as long as it’s done on purpose – that’s a great philosophy for making animes in the future. I think, even if it’s part of the story that the story dragged that much as to force people other than the main-character to act, just so the plot could finally progress – it’s still a story that dragged until now (which isn’t good no matter what the explanation is). The series admitted it even that it was a totally useless farce overall until now and the bad storytelling just doesn’t disappear only because the series agrees with my complaints of the story.

But it will be interesting to see where the series goes from here and it might become really good if including all these morally ambiguous characters means that the story will be as morally ambiguous from now on.

10. dominus says:

Big Spoiler# Saya is used and abused and is in a constant druged state and you so long discourses about her self nature is pure nonsense I like the job they did in the serie and theres a reason why the side characters have no big back story They are actors in a big farce they are bland because of that everything is made up they are simply used as “presssure points” to realease saya´s true nature.
    I especialy like how most of them turn out to be just plain bad humans and not some halfass crying moe characters simply said theres is really people like that that do everything for profit or for a new clean life(evil twins)simple normal humans can be the “real monsters” and this episode is a prime example of that .
    Saya is seen as nothing more than a Beautiful doll with a dark side that everybody fears but end using for their own goals this fact is the central point of every blood series and blood c does that with a heavy dose of mystery .

11. Frost says:

Saya has to be the worst main character ever, period… Its just depressing how much they ruined the character, she seems to have the brains of a peanut and just stands there in shock as if everything they were saying wasnt obvious 7 episodes ago

Heres the problem, a boring show doesnt become good just because it is boring on purpose, thats just bad execution… Like many people said this episode ended up being hilarious because of all the reactions and the stupid twins etc, “so bad its good” type, so I guess it deserves an extra point for that

But the best part is the plot is the stupidity of the plot… Sure, I bet lots of teenagers would go to a random island full of monsters risking their lives, just for some money, makes perfect sense LOL

For those people saying “IF you hate it why are you still watching it?” – duh, for the same reason you watch indian movies etc, train wrecks = guaranteed lulz

12. psgels psgels says:

Frost: while I can understand some of the complaint mentioned here in the comments, I do think that you’re severely overexaggerating. Getting annoyed by Saya is perfectly reasonable, but “worst main character ever”? Seriously?

And yeah, I bet lots of people would go and borrow money from the mafia risking their lives, just for some money. Makes perfect sense LOL.

13. Joojoobees says:

I think it is hilarious that people have complained week after week about this or that as if the writers overlooked something only for it to turn out that the writers were two steps ahead all along. Yes, it is strange that she starts singing the morning after she sees her friend killed — except when you consider she is drugged and hypnotized. To some of us it was quite clear that the show’s creators were trying to create a strange situation that hid a mystery, to others it was a bad show because everything wasn’t explained to them in tiny little bite-sized chunks. The creators decided to SHOW NOT EXPLAIN, and we get people decrying this as bad writing because it wasn’t obvious what was shown, that Saya was acting illogically for the situation.

14. Puran says:

So here is the problem. People find it boring. I caught up with the series yesterday and I have to say, I enjoyed it. I know it has a lot of the usual Clamp style …”mystery”. A lot of unfinished sentences at critical points, always something is about to happen but never does etc.

But it did manage to build an atmosphere, and it did throw enough bones to maintain my interest. Maybe it worked better for me because I marathoned it.

(on a completely different sidenote: psgels, I’ve been trying to post on the shoutbox for the last couple of days and it’s saying that I’m banned?… Is it my ip? I have dynamic IP so it will probably change in a few days I hope.)

15. psgels psgels says:

Puran: oh sorry. Were you perhaps Bent Faker?

The thing is, that I have a very straight-forward policy with random trolls: ban and ignore. With that, I unfortunately didn’t realize that it was you. Apologies.

16. Whisperer says:

yeah, psgels, totally with you on the moe aspect. For example, there I was, watching the first episode of Higurashi, and everything was a-ok until a girl started speaking for the first time. When I realized that ALL their voices were BEYOND horrifying just for the sake of “cute”, I ran away and never looked back. Of course, there is such a thing called “moe done right” – Gintama’s Kagura, for example.

17. Watainu says:

This episode made one thing clear: Blood-C rules. S*ck it haters!

18. Snowolf says:

I’ve just given up on trying to explain it to people; if you hate Blood C, that’s fine, but to think it’s the worst thing ever, god, you really must be narrow minded.

I’m DONE. If you hate a show, stop WATCHING IT. It is not so hard to drop a show. I did it with IDOLMASTER and god it was a good action. I haven’t regretted it since nor have I been consistently whining about it like the five year olds you all are. You are fine not liking Blood C, but if you can’t do anything but talk about how boring it is and how predictable it is and then yell at psgels for liking it, then I pity you.

19. Blue Bomber says:

I sooo called this in the ep 6 comments. :3

Can’t wait to see how they wrap this up next ep and lead into the movie.

20. notintheface says:

I find it baffling how the people who so obviously hate this show still watch it, presumably so that they can come here and tell us all how bad it is. Luckily we know that they secretly love it.

21. notintheface says:

22. Blood-C = LOL show in disguise says:

There is no twist because this drug and action stage stuff has been predictd by everyone since Episode 4. (excepts CLAMP fan who only WAI WAI at crossover and CLAMP universe and such)

Now I know why I keep watching Blood-C. I watch it because it keeps getting worse with every episode to the point that it became LOL show and I no longer take it seriously.

It makes me LMAO to CLAMP and the director and I love it. This show is such a stress relief.

23. yellow says:

(it’s out of subject, but i re-realised how long the character’s necks are xD)
    well, it’s clamp^ ^

24. Puran says:

( @psgels: I actually hadn’t posted in the shoutbox in a while and I surely didn’t post under a different nickname, which made the fact that I was banned even weirder. It seems I can post now though, cheers! )

25. ShyBlue says:

I really dislike Blood-C, but I stuck with it for a long time because the fights were amazing, Clamp’s character designs were eye candy, and I used to like Saya. Plus, I had hope that the story would still unfold in an amazing way since CLAMP had a say in it.

But by episode 11…I realized that it wasn’t going anywhere. The plot twist could be seen from MILES away. And I just didn’t like Saya anymore. Because she was just becoming cruel. Yeah, she was drugged, I get that, but she was drugged TO THINK THAT THE MONSTERS KILLED PEOPLE. In other words, she thinks that the furukimono killed her friends, and she STILL doesn’t give a crap.

Well, right now, I’m still only watching this show for its production values, its atmosphere (I’ll give it credit for creating a nice mood) and only because I’ve come this far. Might as well watch the last few episodes of this thing.

26. ShyBlue says:

Oh, and my thoughts put aside. (>.>) I think the title of the post needs to be edited. ^^;

27. Aidanak47 says:

As a hater, please let me explain why people keep watching this show.

1: At this point we have watched almost the entire show. There’s only a few episodes left. Those of us with completionist attitudes say “Well I might as well…”
    2: Believe it or not we do hold out hope that this show might surprise us. Even the worst shows can sometimes bring remarkable twists. For example the ever17 VN was very boring but I must admit that twist in the true route was ingenious.
    3: This relates to 2. We read people saying “OMG MY MIND IS BLOWN! BLOOD-C RULES!” and think that maybe….just maybe this episode might pull something interesting only to watch and get disappointed. Then we lash it out on you.
    4: If only those who liked the who watched it then it would get overrated and mislead others into watching it and wasting there time. Some people need to say the truth. Plus I will admit that there is some joy in hating something. We love to hate it.
    5: This show is an excellent example of poor storytelling. For those of us who wish to be writers ourselves it’s a good learning experience of what to avoid.

And there you have it. All I can say now is that if you think a big unimaginative infodump is better storytelling than explaining it over the course of a narrative then it’s best to keep it to yourself.

28. Vera says:

I’m with Aidanak47’s no. 1 point: the only reason I kept watching was because I wanted to know what happens.

I mean I bloody watched Rainbow Gate till the end (though that was more an exercise in “surely things can’t end up being even MORE ridiculous”). So I figured this show couldn’t be worse.
    On the one hand, it turned out to be much better (am looking forward to the movie). Nevertheless dragging the story on and on till episode 8 was a rather poor choice of a story, most especially considering that the show is only 12 episodes long.

Ah well, I guess I might as well finally watch the first Blood movie :P

29. jzar says:

Aidanak47 you nailed it. A very well stated premise.

As a hater, please let me explain why people keep watching this show.

The only thing I can add is…….

Just don’t read the comments if you don’t like what they say.

You can’t can you?

I have enjoyed the comments much more than the show itself at this point. I will still watch the last episode just to see it. Hope for the best and expect the worst. You won’t often be wrong.

30. AidanAK47 says:

[quote]Just don’t read the comments if you don’t like what they say.

You can’t can you?[/quote]

You got me there. I am afraid it’s impossible for me. When I read something I disagree with I read it fully to find contradictions to exploit. It’s one of the drawbacks of being an egotistical bastard who always thinks he is right.
    Still I wear the title of egotistical bastard with pride.

31. No says:

It really is like a Shamaylan movie. Except after he turned crappy.

32. ori says:

I keep watching cause I really want to like it. I like the Blood series and I like many of Clamp’s series.

But alas, I really do hate this BloodC. The deaths were so meaningless, the characters are annoying, the episodes are so horribly structure and some parts are so slow I want to destroy my computer.

33. Obsidian says:

@ joojoobees its not because people want bite-size pieces and because of showing and telling :\ it’s first episodes were crap except some details — most of us hung on for the action.

I will admit it had some good story points even comparatively to Blood + but yes like Blood + it has crap too and until episode 8 nothing really is worth watching. The dog tries his best to make Saya realize things but she is too idiotic to understand stuff. In fact she never does question things until episode 10. So yeah after episode 8 the plot starts and before that no one really needs to watch it unless for certain kicks.

If you think of showing not telling storylines then even Ghost In The Shell beats Blood C with its enigma and gradual information and action build up so unlike GITS which gets a 5/5 Blood C gets 3 or 3.5/5 for trying. It has a nice climax but holes in storytelling are just holes in storytelling.

There are a lot more you can do with a 12 episode anime show with regards to subtlety but it does not do that so yeah it fails in tacit storytelling but triumphs in gore, blood and finale.

34. Definitely says:

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using? I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Anonymous2040262
its almost like he could be an antagonist
For me I don't mind if I have to pay to watch the series/ films, but damn it don't restrict me to access it. Entertainment medium is meant to be an exposure (for the lack of better terms), it's supposed to be available to the mass and nobody care for a series that isn't available for streaming. We have way too many other options out there
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem". Someone said that and I couldn't say it better
@Amagi: which part of Firework that you stopped? It's the movie that make less and less sense as the story goes on so I feel you on that
I really wonder what's up with this guy. Considering the hype and VN screens he gets he seems to be more than just random side-protagonist. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Anonymous2039704
One of my favorite OPs this season
Now I textwalled again and feel bad.
In short: be it indie-products or official series or papers, just upload everything on a virtual plattform and you'll get a bigger audience, many of them even willing to pay as long as they get what they want in high quality.
Something might only become popular 4 weeks later but it doesn't matter because it's still there and people can watch it whenever they want and the other series don't matter since it isn't a classical rivalry as we know it from tv.
"Less people watched the first episode than the 1000th iteration of [insert some "classic" movie old people watch for the sake if it]. With streaming plattforms like Netflix and others series just get dumped and are always accesible.
Another reason for why I prefer streams and stuff: TV and quotes are a horror. They often cancelled series after one or two episodes because the quotes didn't live up to what they wanted. Instead of giving a new series some time. It needs time to get a fanbase and people often need weeks to even know about a new series, but nope.
In the end such things are usually screened in ~3 places around the country for a day or two. So if you aren't living nearby or have work to do on that day: good luck.
Sometimes it isn't their fault though, like when there is an anime or some indie guy from my country is making a movie - and nobody wants to show them.
Same here. I really want to give small companies or indie/artists a chance, but it's not always easy.
What baffled me was the British film institute blocking Irish users using their legal streams.
Believe it or not I actually WANT to support.
While I do pirate alot, in cases where an obscure film actually gets a cinema release I make sure to pay to see it at the cinema, I support all the rare anime screenings too.
There is so much stuff I had to pirate or I would have had to relinquish it completely. Even with non-fiction books for my university studies.
lmao. But I 100% agree. Maybe you're lucky if you live in the US but otherwise you are often enough f*ed. Bad marketing.
Point I was trying to make is that, region blocking is only encouraging piracy more.
narf~ couldn't manage to finish that Firework movie, do I miss much? It seems like something that might have a bunch of good ideas for the later part but the first half just bored me and I couldn't get into it for some reason.
Release your damn indie project on a reputable site or at least offer a paypal option and if its something off-colour in content, send the bloody thing digitally and not as a dvd.
Oh look, funimation releases eng dub trailer...think I'll...wat....oh wait this video is not available in your region"
"This video cannot be streamed outside of"
"Sorry we do not deliver to Ireland"
"Sorry this film from less than a decade is out of print"
Yeah, fuck legal streaming, just for that I'm pirating you.
@Mario: Truly you have become the most super of Marios.
Finally pulling those reviews out. Guys, if you're expecting for Hinamatsuri and Masotan posts, the former will be done tomorrow and if I have more time I will do the second one too. Enjoy for now
Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.

Hinamatsuri – 03 [Hobo Life 101]

Hinamatsuri week 3 plays like an extension to Anzu and Hitomi’s stories last week. It’s like two sides of a same coin where you can see these girls grow in a direction you don’t expect (NO innuendo here), albeit at the cost of the central chemistry between Nitta and Hina. Here’s the trick to why […]

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]