Posted by psgels on 23 September 2011 with categories: Blood-C

It’s not like I can’t understand the hate behind this series. I myself am incredibly biased against overacting moe stereotypes. so any build-up of atmosphere or character gets lost on me for those shows (that’s also why I am not going to bother with The Idolmaster no matter how good people say it ends up to be). But found this episode to be amazing.

I’m really glad to see that this series knew how to build up. A major problem of mystery series is that they are excellent in asking questions, but rather straight-forward in answering them. This episode revealed the nature behind this world, and it did a wonderful job at it. The backstory of this show is very imaginative. The previous episodes hinted enough to it, but this show really has a unique role for its main character, and in particular the side characters, even though they took a huge risk with it.

I mean, the drag turned out to be a major part of the plot: Saya herself just wouldn’t remember, and so the side characters all got sick of waiting and pretending to be stock characters. Saya staying the same: also part of the plot: the whole point of it was to see whether she could do that. I especially love how just about every character has been putting up a huge act in front of Saya. I mean, I saw that coming, but not in this magnitude. Seriously, in terms of overall plot, I’d say that the balls of this series this season are second to only Penguin Drum. I love the shows like these that take risks like this.

With this, I can really forgive the wait. I mean, I dislike series that focus too much on building up, but I absolutely love the kinds of series that just build up to one climax, and make that count. This all came together wonderfully. My one complaint is that at times the acting was a bit awkward. Mostly when characters started yelling, it wasn’t the most believably drawn.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Carbine Gammaximon says:

. Mostly when characters started yelling, it wasn’t the most believably drawn.

I know right? It almost struck me as a “vent-your-fears-session”, until HE shows up.

I can’t believe we went through 9-10 episodes without fully knowing what was going on until now. Awesome.

2. Leo says:

wow, characters just did an 180 flip… I am so shock, Poor Saya

3. betawatcher says:

At least Idolm@ster isn’t half as bad as shows like TWGOK & BakaTest 2 (I admit I enjoyed the 1st season but the 2nd just draaaags and boooores me now). It’s not even THAT fanservice-y (like panty shots and stuff), which is why I like it. Too many things cater to guys these days…

You can skip episode 2 though. That was bad. (Yukiho & Yayoi’s voice just annoys me in general)

4. betawatcher says:

Edit: episode 3

5. Obsidian says:

As I said Blood started gestating after Episode 8 and I had a feeling on most of the characters in this series. I know *spoiler* that Fumito was kinda eerie so I wasn’t surprised seeing the guy as a antagonist in the show but Tokizane annoyed me Tomofusa and Yuka look genuinely worried about Saya *spoiler end*

This episode was one of the best ^_^

6. KrazyKobun says:

I highly disagree about Blood-C and The iDOLM@STER. The characters in iM@S proved to have much more depth than anyone in Blood-C as the girls are always developing. The stories are lighthearted while entertaining and the girls give you reasons to like to them other than the fact that they’re “moe” too. I guess people who hate moe for biased reasons wouldn’t notice that right?

Blood-C just drags on and has cheap emotional manipulation throughout (by using cheap shock value with exploitative violence), except many of us didn’t buy any of the bullshit. Half of the series could have easily been removed and the plot wouldn’t show the slightest hint of compression.

This episode was unintentionally hilarious. It takes this long for plot, characterization, and intrigue to happen!?! It’s like watching a really over extended and crappy M. Night Shamaylan film. Sorry, that’s pretty awful storytelling. Yes, this episode was interesting but at this point, there is no saving this series from bashing. It’s too late. This intriguing twist does not rectify or justify the rest of the series. It was monotonous, boring, gratuitous, and annoying for 9 straight episodes. Saya doesn’t provide any valid reasons for viewers to care about her.

I do agree that Blood-C is genuinely horrific at times, but that’s it. This show is so mediocre. I don’t understand your constant praise of it. If a moe show was doing this nonsense, I think you wouldn’t be as nice about it.

I can’t wait for this show to be over, and no matter how “amazing” the ending may be, Blood-C will still receive a 4/10 in my book, as only a quarter of the series was actually interesting.

7. Cassidy says:

>_>

_>

Where are the haters? e_e

Anyway, GREAT episode, can’t wait for the “end” next week. But I really doubt the anime will end next episode… I bet in a cliffhanger that will leave us in rage until the real End in the following movie.

8. qwerty1 says:

Is it just me…

Or are the twins even more awesome as sadistic criminals.

9. M0rg0th says:

“It’s not like I can’t understand the hate behind this series. I myself am incredibly biased against overacting moe stereotypes. so any build-up of atmosphere or character gets lost on me for those shows (that’s also why I am not going to bother with The Idolmaster no matter how good people say it ends up to be).”
    Uh, do you mean to say it’s biased to hate Blood-C?
    “I mean, the drag turned out to be a major part of the plot”
    Yeah, a real comedy, right? Doing something bad storytelling-wise isn’t *really* bad as long as it’s done on purpose – that’s a great philosophy for making animes in the future. I think, even if it’s part of the story that the story dragged that much as to force people other than the main-character to act, just so the plot could finally progress – it’s still a story that dragged until now (which isn’t good no matter what the explanation is). The series admitted it even that it was a totally useless farce overall until now and the bad storytelling just doesn’t disappear only because the series agrees with my complaints of the story.

But it will be interesting to see where the series goes from here and it might become really good if including all these morally ambiguous characters means that the story will be as morally ambiguous from now on.

10. dominus says:

Big Spoiler# Saya is used and abused and is in a constant druged state and you so long discourses about her self nature is pure nonsense I like the job they did in the serie and theres a reason why the side characters have no big back story They are actors in a big farce they are bland because of that everything is made up they are simply used as “presssure points” to realease saya´s true nature.
    I especialy like how most of them turn out to be just plain bad humans and not some halfass crying moe characters simply said theres is really people like that that do everything for profit or for a new clean life(evil twins)simple normal humans can be the “real monsters” and this episode is a prime example of that .
    Saya is seen as nothing more than a Beautiful doll with a dark side that everybody fears but end using for their own goals this fact is the central point of every blood series and blood c does that with a heavy dose of mystery .

11. Frost says:

Saya has to be the worst main character ever, period… Its just depressing how much they ruined the character, she seems to have the brains of a peanut and just stands there in shock as if everything they were saying wasnt obvious 7 episodes ago

Heres the problem, a boring show doesnt become good just because it is boring on purpose, thats just bad execution… Like many people said this episode ended up being hilarious because of all the reactions and the stupid twins etc, “so bad its good” type, so I guess it deserves an extra point for that

But the best part is the plot is the stupidity of the plot… Sure, I bet lots of teenagers would go to a random island full of monsters risking their lives, just for some money, makes perfect sense LOL

For those people saying “IF you hate it why are you still watching it?” – duh, for the same reason you watch indian movies etc, train wrecks = guaranteed lulz

12. psgels psgels says:

Frost: while I can understand some of the complaint mentioned here in the comments, I do think that you’re severely overexaggerating. Getting annoyed by Saya is perfectly reasonable, but “worst main character ever”? Seriously?

And yeah, I bet lots of people would go and borrow money from the mafia risking their lives, just for some money. Makes perfect sense LOL.

13. Joojoobees says:

I think it is hilarious that people have complained week after week about this or that as if the writers overlooked something only for it to turn out that the writers were two steps ahead all along. Yes, it is strange that she starts singing the morning after she sees her friend killed — except when you consider she is drugged and hypnotized. To some of us it was quite clear that the show’s creators were trying to create a strange situation that hid a mystery, to others it was a bad show because everything wasn’t explained to them in tiny little bite-sized chunks. The creators decided to SHOW NOT EXPLAIN, and we get people decrying this as bad writing because it wasn’t obvious what was shown, that Saya was acting illogically for the situation.

14. Puran says:

So here is the problem. People find it boring. I caught up with the series yesterday and I have to say, I enjoyed it. I know it has a lot of the usual Clamp style …”mystery”. A lot of unfinished sentences at critical points, always something is about to happen but never does etc.

But it did manage to build an atmosphere, and it did throw enough bones to maintain my interest. Maybe it worked better for me because I marathoned it.

(on a completely different sidenote: psgels, I’ve been trying to post on the shoutbox for the last couple of days and it’s saying that I’m banned?… Is it my ip? I have dynamic IP so it will probably change in a few days I hope.)

15. psgels psgels says:

Puran: oh sorry. Were you perhaps Bent Faker?

The thing is, that I have a very straight-forward policy with random trolls: ban and ignore. With that, I unfortunately didn’t realize that it was you. Apologies.

16. Whisperer says:

yeah, psgels, totally with you on the moe aspect. For example, there I was, watching the first episode of Higurashi, and everything was a-ok until a girl started speaking for the first time. When I realized that ALL their voices were BEYOND horrifying just for the sake of “cute”, I ran away and never looked back. Of course, there is such a thing called “moe done right” – Gintama’s Kagura, for example.

17. Watainu says:

This episode made one thing clear: Blood-C rules. S*ck it haters!

18. Snowolf says:

I’ve just given up on trying to explain it to people; if you hate Blood C, that’s fine, but to think it’s the worst thing ever, god, you really must be narrow minded.

I’m DONE. If you hate a show, stop WATCHING IT. It is not so hard to drop a show. I did it with IDOLMASTER and god it was a good action. I haven’t regretted it since nor have I been consistently whining about it like the five year olds you all are. You are fine not liking Blood C, but if you can’t do anything but talk about how boring it is and how predictable it is and then yell at psgels for liking it, then I pity you.

19. Blue Bomber says:

I sooo called this in the ep 6 comments. :3

Can’t wait to see how they wrap this up next ep and lead into the movie.

20. notintheface says:

I find it baffling how the people who so obviously hate this show still watch it, presumably so that they can come here and tell us all how bad it is. Luckily we know that they secretly love it.

21. notintheface says:

22. Blood-C = LOL show in disguise says:

There is no twist because this drug and action stage stuff has been predictd by everyone since Episode 4. (excepts CLAMP fan who only WAI WAI at crossover and CLAMP universe and such)

Now I know why I keep watching Blood-C. I watch it because it keeps getting worse with every episode to the point that it became LOL show and I no longer take it seriously.

It makes me LMAO to CLAMP and the director and I love it. This show is such a stress relief.

23. yellow says:

(it’s out of subject, but i re-realised how long the character’s necks are xD)
    well, it’s clamp^ ^

24. Puran says:

( @psgels: I actually hadn’t posted in the shoutbox in a while and I surely didn’t post under a different nickname, which made the fact that I was banned even weirder. It seems I can post now though, cheers! )

25. ShyBlue says:

I really dislike Blood-C, but I stuck with it for a long time because the fights were amazing, Clamp’s character designs were eye candy, and I used to like Saya. Plus, I had hope that the story would still unfold in an amazing way since CLAMP had a say in it.

But by episode 11…I realized that it wasn’t going anywhere. The plot twist could be seen from MILES away. And I just didn’t like Saya anymore. Because she was just becoming cruel. Yeah, she was drugged, I get that, but she was drugged TO THINK THAT THE MONSTERS KILLED PEOPLE. In other words, she thinks that the furukimono killed her friends, and she STILL doesn’t give a crap.

Well, right now, I’m still only watching this show for its production values, its atmosphere (I’ll give it credit for creating a nice mood) and only because I’ve come this far. Might as well watch the last few episodes of this thing.

26. ShyBlue says:

Oh, and my thoughts put aside. (>.>) I think the title of the post needs to be edited. ^^;

27. Aidanak47 says:

As a hater, please let me explain why people keep watching this show.

1: At this point we have watched almost the entire show. There’s only a few episodes left. Those of us with completionist attitudes say “Well I might as well…”
    2: Believe it or not we do hold out hope that this show might surprise us. Even the worst shows can sometimes bring remarkable twists. For example the ever17 VN was very boring but I must admit that twist in the true route was ingenious.
    3: This relates to 2. We read people saying “OMG MY MIND IS BLOWN! BLOOD-C RULES!” and think that maybe….just maybe this episode might pull something interesting only to watch and get disappointed. Then we lash it out on you.
    4: If only those who liked the who watched it then it would get overrated and mislead others into watching it and wasting there time. Some people need to say the truth. Plus I will admit that there is some joy in hating something. We love to hate it.
    5: This show is an excellent example of poor storytelling. For those of us who wish to be writers ourselves it’s a good learning experience of what to avoid.

And there you have it. All I can say now is that if you think a big unimaginative infodump is better storytelling than explaining it over the course of a narrative then it’s best to keep it to yourself.

28. Vera says:

I’m with Aidanak47’s no. 1 point: the only reason I kept watching was because I wanted to know what happens.

I mean I bloody watched Rainbow Gate till the end (though that was more an exercise in “surely things can’t end up being even MORE ridiculous”). So I figured this show couldn’t be worse.
    On the one hand, it turned out to be much better (am looking forward to the movie). Nevertheless dragging the story on and on till episode 8 was a rather poor choice of a story, most especially considering that the show is only 12 episodes long.

Ah well, I guess I might as well finally watch the first Blood movie :P

29. jzar says:

Aidanak47 you nailed it. A very well stated premise.

As a hater, please let me explain why people keep watching this show.

The only thing I can add is…….

Just don’t read the comments if you don’t like what they say.

You can’t can you?

I have enjoyed the comments much more than the show itself at this point. I will still watch the last episode just to see it. Hope for the best and expect the worst. You won’t often be wrong.

30. AidanAK47 says:

[quote]Just don’t read the comments if you don’t like what they say.

You can’t can you?[/quote]

You got me there. I am afraid it’s impossible for me. When I read something I disagree with I read it fully to find contradictions to exploit. It’s one of the drawbacks of being an egotistical bastard who always thinks he is right.
    Still I wear the title of egotistical bastard with pride.

31. No says:

It really is like a Shamaylan movie. Except after he turned crappy.

32. ori says:

I keep watching cause I really want to like it. I like the Blood series and I like many of Clamp’s series.

But alas, I really do hate this BloodC. The deaths were so meaningless, the characters are annoying, the episodes are so horribly structure and some parts are so slow I want to destroy my computer.

33. Obsidian says:

@ joojoobees its not because people want bite-size pieces and because of showing and telling :\ it’s first episodes were crap except some details — most of us hung on for the action.

I will admit it had some good story points even comparatively to Blood + but yes like Blood + it has crap too and until episode 8 nothing really is worth watching. The dog tries his best to make Saya realize things but she is too idiotic to understand stuff. In fact she never does question things until episode 10. So yeah after episode 8 the plot starts and before that no one really needs to watch it unless for certain kicks.

If you think of showing not telling storylines then even Ghost In The Shell beats Blood C with its enigma and gradual information and action build up so unlike GITS which gets a 5/5 Blood C gets 3 or 3.5/5 for trying. It has a nice climax but holes in storytelling are just holes in storytelling.

There are a lot more you can do with a 12 episode anime show with regards to subtlety but it does not do that so yeah it fails in tacit storytelling but triumphs in gore, blood and finale.

34. Definitely says:

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using? I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!
I have no problem with kiss whatsoever regarding virus. Hehe then try to catch it at Toonami
Yeeeah, sorry, my anti-virus isnt that big a fan of kiss.
You can watch it online at kisscartoon, of course at your own risk ^^
I really want to watch the new Samurai Jack season, but I cant catch it when it airs and dont know where to find it otherwise
Plan on getting the spring season Preview up today or Tommarrow. Things basically written up so it's just a matter of getting it to look right on the site.
Who here is watching the new season of Samurai Jack? That first episode hit me hard with nostalgia. It's like he never left.

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100