Posted by psgels on 3 October 2011 with categories: Phi Brain, Some Quick First Impressions, Tamayura

Kimi to Boku

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is an average high school boy.
Agh! Why does this air on the exact. same. date as Tamayura?! I mean, it has its qualities on its own, but when it airs right after what in the end is a superior slice of life series it is in real danger of just being overshadowed. Still, despite that Kimi to Boku has this strange kind of catchiness. It suffered from trying to be too ironic, its characters still stick a bit too much to their stereotypes (which especially sticks out with such a small cast of only four characters), but the dialogue between them in the end was quite enjoyable. These guys are down to earth, and in any case it’s good to see another slice of life series that is in no danger of being overrun by boob jokes. There’s a scene of their past together, which is also a good sign and this episode was also good at portraying things going on in the background. This will probably be a very uneventful series that fleshes its characters out through its dialogue, and based on that, this episode did well and has the potential to last through 26 episodes.
OP: Another boring ballad. The use of photographs again does not help after seeing Tamayura do this so much better…
ED: A bunch of (admittedly good) drawings, with another dull song.
Potential: 75%

Tamayura ~ Hitotose

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is just a regular teenager.
Yes! Yes! Yes! The creators actually did it! Instead of just continuing with showing just a bunch of random sketches around the main cast, this entire episode was dedicated to the past of the main female character. Not only do we get to see her in the days when she was away from the rest of the main cast, but they also made clever use of that she’s a photographer. Throughout the episode we got to see a bunch of slide-shows, which did a wonderful job of painting a picture of her childhood. The writing in this episode also was great, combining slice of life and realistic dialogue with subtle morals and life lessons. Sato Junichi really is on fire this season, and it’s almost unfair competition to Kimi to Boku with how good this was. This really is what I want from a slice of life series: realistic characters, visible growth, and plenty of scenes to relate to. Knowing the creators we’re not going to get a slew of boob jokes or other bad comedy, nor was the drama in this episode forced or cheesy. Really, ideally every episode needs to be like this.
OP: Fits the series perfectly, is well sung, and again makes great use of photography.
ED: The singer is a bit weak, but the use of photographs once again is great.
Potential: 85%

Phi Brain

Short Synopsis: Our lead character solves puzzles.
Yeah. This was pretty much the best opening episode of the new season to me. I mean, this is a series with a strange premise: the main character is really tempted by just puzzles. But that’s the thing: it’s creative, and it showed in this episode. While the main characters solves sudoku puzzles like its nothing (yes, there is sudoku in this show), the larger puzzles are these huge imaginative contraptions that are well made and have interesting solutions. Waht really sold me on this series however, is how expressive it is. It’s got the best OP of the season, the best ED, the best character-designs (even including the series that still have to air), and most importantly: the animation and voice acting brought the characters to life. The female lead is actually a damsel in distress who is useful: on one hand she’s there to increase tension, but she’s also more athletic and more observant than the male lead, who in his turn also isn’t your average shounen hero. He thankfully is miles away from the usual whiny and hot blooded main character. The music is excellent, the pacing rocks. You can really see Sato Junichi at work here.
OP: Best of the season so far. Solid song and great visuals.
ED: Nice use of a puzzle-like slide show.
Potential: 90%

1. m says:

The production values aren’t bad for a kiddie show, but I don’t think the character designs hold up all that well against those of Persona 4 or Guilty Crown. I also get the impression that they intend to keep this rather passive by using puzzle solving as a pretension for an action show, but that’s OK. I actually like the idea of this maybe inspiring a younger audience into trying various types of puzzles, since an interest in them they can be a gateway into certain areas of mathematics.

I’m also kind of interested in seeing what kind of elaborate puzzle designs will be animated as the series progresses. I imagine that’s what will really keep me watching the series.

2. Gale says:

This show was great. The word puzzle was used a bit too much for my liking (I guess in case someone didn’t catch on that this anime is about puzzles). But despite that I love the concept and the execution is superb. Kaito is an interesting character who I’d want to learn more about. I’m glad that they spent as little time as possible at that school because I just wanted to see Kaito solve some puzzles.

3. LilyGinnyBlack says:

I rather liked this episode, the only real issue I had was with characterization, in specific: Nonoha’s character. I found her to be a bit stereotypical and annoying. There is some potential for her to grow beyond this though, and hopefully character development will allow for that to happen.

As for Kaito, I liked his personality a lot, but his way of speaking just made me roll my eyes: overly masculine and low class, just like many other Shounen leads. Other than that, though I enjoyed him as a main, lead character and see some good potential when it comes to his character too.

The premise, the puzzles, and the other characters all have me intrigued, plus the animation, music, characters designs and etc. are nice, so I will definitely be watching a few more episodes of this, at least.

4. Alec says:

too shounen for me, and didn’t find the first ep to be amazing. But I like the concept.

5. kurini says:

This was unique, I don’t know why, but reminds me of yugioh (even though I’ve never really watched it)!

I think I would like it! :) oh yeah nonoha reminds of miyoshi in Bakuman! LOL

6. Joojoobees says:

@kurini Nonoha reminds me of what Miyoshi would look like if the thing on her head looked more like hair.

I must say, it is tough for me to see Sato Junichi in this, but I guess I have only seen his “healing” shows.

7. kazid33 says:

Uhmm really I like a lot more Fate zero. But its a nice show.

8. Andarel says:

I’m very torn on this show. I really want to like it, and for the most part I do – the art design is quite good, the music is solid, and the premise is relatively interesting (without Layton-esque shoehorning of puzzles). Not particularly impressed with the main character, but we didn’t see much of his personality from the first episode and he didn’t really have significant conflict (first he was fleeing the water in panic, and then at the end there was magic).

But there’s one thing that makes cringe: Nonoha’s character. She felt utterly extraneous the entire time, and I don’t understand her motives at all: if the puzzle is dangerous enough to be lethal, why is she carelessly tagging along and running around without being alert? Her contributions seemed twofold: first, pointing out something nontrivial but eventually noticeable that the ‘actual king of puzzles’ had missed, and second, being the focus of a “I have to save —” moment. Perhaps I’ve been spoiled lately, but the first thing I see when I look at her is, well, a weak character. And that makes me a bit sad.

I do like the opening, though. Not sure it’ll be the best of the season – only opening lately I’ve thought that about is Kamisama Dolls’ – but it’s pretty solid, and the slideshow is really good.

9. billish says:

I really do not see what is to like about this show.
    The premise is boring and totally unexplained and unrealistic: Why does he solve puzzles? How are these massive puzzles created? Whats the point!?
    The lead character Kaito… at least in this episode, had a very simple motive and literally no intrigue.
    I guess i just didn’t like it; seemed to quick and with literally no explanation.
    Will probably watch the next episode, but I doubt I will be following past it or possibly ep.3

10. LilyGinnyBlack says:

I heard all these great things about Kimi to Boku, but I just couldn’t get into it (I actually stopped watching it half-way through).

The characters were all way too stereotypical and while I did like the flow of the dialogue and the opening, there was just something that was off. It couldn’t really capture my attention, and that is most likely because of the characters, which is a real shame, because I tend to like series that are based off G-Fantasy manga.

Then again, I guess there is a reason why I never really went out of my way to read the manga…

11. ShyBlue says:

Kimi to Boku disappointed me. It wasn’t nearly as funny or heartwarming as the manga. The manga was a breath of fresh air, but the anime feels so drab and uninspired. It’s a shame really…I think I’ll just keep reading the manga….

12. qwerty1 says:

I hope Tamayura keeps up with this kind of feeling through the entire series. I don’t think there was a part of the episode that I didn’t either have a smile on my face or a tear in my eye.

13. Anon says:

Kimi to boku adaptation wasn’t as good as I had expected. Will be looking forward to the romance in the series though. That was the most appealing factor for me in the manga.

14. Akari Mizunashi says:

anyone impressed by basic sudoku needs to use their brain a lot more frequently lol.

15. some loser says:

i really didnt find Phi Brain to be amazing, rather so far the premise seems to be a joke. the concept of puzzles is interesting, only thing is that it isn’t really about puzzles, rather a overpowered dude showing off. the thing is, the main character solves everything with such ease and speed that we really dont get much analysis on the puzzles themselves. with a few flicks of his fingers, the puzzles are solved within seconds, so how many viewer are able to follow along? it’s like watching yakitate japan without a single piece of info on bread, or like watching one outs without a providing a single rule on how baseball works.

to me, the first episode was freaking crap. i mean seriously… the main character’s motivation to shove himself into life threatening situations based on logic puzzles, while these puzzles arent really threatening anyone in society, is that some dude told him to “solve these fucking puzzles” while some evil antagonist goes through millions of dollars to make these pointlessly ginormous puzzles to playfully kill the main character, while ignoring the rest of society…

16. Scruffy says:

@qwerty1: Agree 100% It was a wonderful start to Tamayura. I really do hope they keep it up. I enjoyed the OVA’s but this was something special.

17. Engix says:

Wierd as it sounds, Kimi to Boku is one of my favorites from what i can see of the first episodes. Mabye its because i can relate to it a lot. Its just life, theres nothing very exciting to it, but that doesnt mean friends are boring either.

18. kero says:

I love Kimi to Boku the managa, but the anime didn’t live up to it. I think it’s the pacing. I was expecting something a bit more akin to Azumanga Diaoh I think, with more sketches per episode, but this one felt like they dragged out the one story instead.

However I loved the kindergarten scene a lot, especially the reveal at the end of it!

The addition of the fifth boy might make a difference, as he is the most energetic one out of the bunch, and that might help to inject a bit of vivaciousness into the story.

I’m going to stick with it to see how it goes, as I like these characters a lot.

19. Sho says:

So…i checked out Phi Brain expecting it to be something solid..but what i got was dumb dialogue, same ol’ characters, childishness, and every other shounen trope/cliches known to man.

Yeah, no thanks. Have’nt been watching that much anime in the past year so i was hoping for some good stuff this season…this is not what i was looking forward to.

20. Rei says:

This is is copying every single post you made > http://animenewsnetworkblog.com/?cat=551

21. betawatcher says:

I thought Kimi to Boku was hilarious! XD I hope the pace picks up though. (can’t wait until Kouichi & Azuma comes in…)

22. auu says:

yeah phi brain just interesting not awesome, the other is very good,, that copycats blog above is sucks

23. semtex says:

I don’t get it. Phi Brain is not entertaining or exciting for a puzzlesolving/mindgame anime where the main character is cheating. Yeah cheating, so when he is in trouble he will use his hax eye? The show is kind of contradicting itself. To solve puzzle you have to use your brain and skills, instead the main char get a magic eye. Dropped for me.

24. @#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@#$%^& says:

I do hope we get to the hot hot twincest actions in kimi to boku, obby obby

25. aegd says:

I actually thought kimi to boku had a stronger first episode than Tamayura. They are different kind of series though, so they shouldnt really be compared. Kimi to boku was really funny though :)

26. aegd says:

Customize
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
afgm
@AidanAK47 did you change my site status? K-off did that on purpose to help out lol
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.
Bam
@K-off: I thought of a combined post, but my OCD wouldn't allow a skip in the episodic order of the reviews.
Usually when you go camping in Yellowstone or Yosemite the tourist industry kills those places, like I'd be on a rowboat and see cars, cabins, and people from a long ways offshore. The Adirondacks are nice because their building codes mandate construction to be hidden behind trees.
@Bam My favorite camping spot is the Adirondacks in upstate NY, I went there probably 4-7 times and never get tired of the place. No, I don't have any posts for now, but for future reference consider combining episodic reviews when you get behind. I.E. Episode 6-8 Review
Bam
Also there's a reader in the comment section of Berserk 07 who wants to know if we have a notification system. I vaguely remember a widget that links the site to a FaceBook page. If anybody knows how that works, or if it's still functional, please shed some light on the matter for him/her. Thx.
Bam
@Aidan @K-off @Mario either one of y'all has any post near completion? I'm almost done with Berserk 08 and as previously mentioned, really prefer not to put two reviews up back to back. I think the length of them is already a hassle for some to get thru, let alone two right after eachother. I think it hurts the viewership, but if nothing's on hand then I'll guess I'll just finish up and post mine.
Bam
@Kaiser: I was actually camping near a mountain, but aren't all mountains somewhat holy? That could be my bias tho, since I was raised on the Alborz mountain range, and for me there is something therapeutic about the mountain air.
Yes! Looks like the shoutbox is fixed and not deleting posts after 24 hours anymore!
lol Or you could live in the shitty suburb where I do and spend your time just waiting for when your internet connection randomly cuts out twice a month or as it has the past few days two-three times a day.
Basically bam went up the Holy mountain .
@Mario: ....guy I know who loves war films and I've ended up inadvertedly/un-intentionally gotten him to buy some fucked up Polish horror film that just happens to be set in WW2. lol he's going to be pretty freaked out when he watches it.
Bam
Everything been cool here? Hehe ... looks like I conveniently missed all the hard parts.
Bam
@Mario: thx m8. I wish I could just make it down to Rio on a whim, but then again, I took a much-needed vacation, so I ain't complaining.
Welcome back Bam, I was already convinced that you went to Rio for screwing around. Lol
Bam
Also I apologize for the absence. I was gone somewhere without reliable internet access, and looking back I should've gave a notification.
Either way, I'm back now, and will be jumping on getting those Berserk reviews out as soon as possible.
Bam
Man looky here with the renovations; I like it.
@Vyse: wow. So how was the sites then back from 2005?
@Kaiser: and what is that sh!te you're talking about?
VyseLegendaire
<— fixed
VyseLegendaire
<— me
VyseLegendaire
Ive been a reader since 2005
Haha, this'll be fun lol
.....that feeling when you keep going on about a show or film but fail to give all the details...and someone goes out and buys it not knowing the full extent of the mad shit their in for...s--t lol
any reader from 2005 here....
@Mario: This guy seems interesting: https://letterboxd.com/director/tsai-ming-liang/
@Mario: Hmm, not familiar with him.
I really really loved in the mood for love, alot, it emotionally effected me. I even watched it three times.
@Mario: I couldn't seem to enjoy any of Zimou yangs films apart from Hero, which had some pretty creative fight scenes. I've seen the story of Ricky and some of John-woos films but they were more just silly entertaining exploitation films.
Don't know if you know the Vietnamese-French Tran Anh Hung. His works are stunning too. If you want to check out East-Asian cinema don't forget to check him out.
@Kaiser: Yeah, but Park Chan Wood changed the ending, so the author insisted that the Handmaiden is more "inspired" than "based". The third chapter is the weakest part for me
@Mario: Of interest, The handmaiden was based on some British book/tv show.
I need to completely re-evaluate/get into more Chinese cinema.
Doesn't look like I've seen anything by Hong-sang-so.
My favourite Korean actor is song-kang-ho.
Theres an anime convention over here in Dublin in three months. Although I haven't been to one in years.
I'm heading to anime convention today. Normally I don't really care about those conventions but I figure I'd come this year to see the taste of it. The only hassle is it's 3-hour drive, which gonna be a pain when I drive back after a long day being there.
Bong Joon-ho, on the other hand,is incredible at writing. His scripts are often layered, sharp and best of all fuses many tones/ genres into one coherent whole. The best thing about this Korean New Wave directors is they all have very distinctive voices. But my favorite director isn't the ones that you list. That would be Hong Sang Soo. I just love his simplicity style so much.
@Kaiser: Park Chan Wood is a master of visual. Whenever I come to his movies I expected to be blown-away by his visual. He can write compelling characters (he loves his characters) as well but his screenplays in general are weak. You can watch his lesser effort "I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay" and see many things that made him good/bad. That's the movie I feel he made without the care of the critic
afgm
afgm
@koff: Yeah I can help. But midterms/finals are coming up so I can't dedicate to much time.
I always felt Bong-jong and Chang-dong , kim-di-duk and Kim-jee-woon were better than Park-chan-wook. Oldboy did have that one hell of an ending, so did lady vengeance but I feel that those are the bits people tend to remember and the rest was good but not great.
For anyone that doesn't regularly browse /r/anime, Godzilla is apparently getting an anime adaption by Polygon Pictures with Urobuchi involved. Should be good.
Well, I climbed to rank 52 in Overwatch with Tracer alone. Looking forward to season 2 already, but I do wish Blizzard had somehow implemented a single-player storyline since the lore in Blizzard titles is always so vast. Kind of surprised they didn't make one with Overwatch.
@Kaiser Watch Train to Busan if you can. Me neither, I can't dig too deep into Korean films due to the language barrier. Sure would be convenient to have Vincent recommending films again.
@afgm Hey, are you still interested in helping out with the site? At this point I'm looking over the site's code & doing some rewriting - if you think you can help, let me know.
@Mario I hadn't watched Old Boy for 6 years when I got to I Saw the Devil and it was out of mind for me, so you may be right.
@K-Off: maybe it was just me but I was underwhelmed by I Saw the Devil. The point it trying to match was similar to OldBoy, and Oldboy's execution was way better (OldBoy's one of my favorite movie). Yes, the soundtracks of OldBoy, Lady Vengeance are exceptional. I still listen to The Last Waltz after all those years...
The soundtrack in a lot of these Korean films are top notch as well, Lady Vengeance and I Saw the Devil in particular.
@Mario Speaking of which, Korean psychological thrillers are hands down some of the best in the last 10-20 years. I Saw the Devil, Lady Vengeance, Old Boy, list goes on.
@Aidan: It just comes to me that we're already half way of this season... Time sure flies
@Kaiser: so please finish up Inside Mari. The last chapter had been out. I need someone to talk about that goddamn manga anw
@Kaiser: I always consider the Korean New Wave started back in 2000, and really peaked in 2003 (OldBoy, Memories of Murders, Spring Summer..., A Tale of 2 Sisters). Before 2000? The only director I can think of was Im Kwon-Taek
About nearly finished Fata Morgana but I might have to finish doom first because that thing is eating a huge chunk of my SSD drive.
Back up to date...at least for now. I have to go to a wedding so It's likely I will fall behind again. Got to admit that I haven't had much of an opinion on the latest episodes. Might be just mentally drained personally.
@K-off: I totally agree with you. 28 Days Later is a gem. Though I'm not really into zombie genre as a whole, I'm more into psychological stuffs more.
@Mario: Reminding me I need to catch up on boku mari no naka.
Although the trailer for train to busan does catch my interest.
I've gotten more than enough out of Korean films, I can enjoy them but I probably don't sing the same high praises for them as most bar some exceptions.
Seeing Lee-chang-dongs stuff I'm actually kind of interested in finding some more low key korean films.
Very likely a view shared by my indie loving friend and I, but Battery and Wyrmwood were jokey takes on the zombie genre I thought were enjoyable.
@Mario: Likely my preference for British comedy that makes me laugh more at Shaun of the dead more. Although Hot fuzz is the better Simon Pegg film in my opinion.
In terms of Korean films, I've been wondering, what are the pre-90s ones like. Lee-chang-dong started the Korean new wave in 1997.
I'm still waiting for a good horror-zombie film, nothing has met my expectations after 28 Days Later (and techinically REC), which admittedly is a high bar.
@Mario I am watching Seoul Station next week, that was just me recapping TtB after I watched it a few days ago. It's definitely more of a thriller, it has good "wtf" moments but nothing I'd call horror.
@K-Off: I thought you were going to watch Seoul Station? So I gather that Train of Busan is more thriller than horror? Just thinking of Zombieland already puts a smile on my face. That one and Shaun of the Dead are so goddamn hilarious.
@Aidan: I will review them in the future. atm I'm in watching/ reading mode so I'll push back all the world movie/ full show reviews for a while
@Mario My impression of Train to Busan was that although it wasn't anything ground breaking, it had a great cast of characters and an entertaining gimmick that managed to stay exhilarating. I haven't seen a zombie film this well structured since Zombieland, even though they're completely opposite in tone.
They are all yours if you want to do them.
Reading Inside Mary makes me want to watch Flowers of Evil again. If I remember correctly psgels never actually had a full review on this one, and Ping Pong.
@Vyse, Width wise it's exactly the same as the old chat box. Though it's possible the old one had smaller font.
VyseLegendaire
This chat box is too narrow I think, only see a couple messages.
@Anon18138, Yeah but I don't see that writer making something that truly represents the games. There may be a possibility of it being a good movie but that movie won't be Pokemon.
@AidanAK47 It'll have the writer of Gravity Falls. Though I don't have a high standard in regards to the 3D mascot and live-action style of movies.
They originally planned to male a live-action remake of Seoul Station, as the producer saw a footage of the animation and really loved it; but Yeon Sang-Ho (the director) insisted that if he was about to make a live-action film, he's go for a sequel instead. Hence Train of Busan.
@K-off: I missed my chance to watch Train to Busan but I heard nothing but rave from it. People who watched it really loved it. Damn, you make me jealous man, since I want to watch Seoul Station and review it here. Come watch it and tell me what you think; my bet is you'll enjoy it.
@Mario Have you watched Train to Busan? I'm planning to watch its animated prequel Seoul Station next week. Animation looks shabby as hell but I can always expect a good story from the koreans.
So the live action Pokemon movie will feature detective pikachu. Clearly a necessary inclusion.
I'm reading Inside Mary now and it's quite a gem despite its ridiculous premise. There's a lot of raw emotions. I love raw emotions. As expected from the same guy who wrote Flowers of Evil.
Yep, when she sends the images let me know. It may have been a while ago but I am a qualified graphic designer so even I can lend a hand to the banner design.
Ugh...a new version of wordpress is ready to be updated to. I have a bad feeling updating to the latest version could potentially break things.
Alright, I've got Friend onbaord with a commission for our new banner. She says she'll send us sketches so we can decide if it's something we want.
Considering how much trouble this plugin has given us, i am not up for adding another one. Only thing the subscriber account thing needs is me to tick and box and get rid of that password promt.
@Aidan You can set that up if you'd like, though another idea would be to set up buddypress and link it to there. But it's yet again another plugin.

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

91 Days - 06 4

91 Days – 06

I would say this is the strongest episode so far of 91 Days as it essentially revolves around what makes Mafia drama at it’s best. Betrayals, scheming and deceit are what fuels organised crime and what a scheme this was. When looking at the three family leaders I suppose it’s no surprise that Orco is […]

s8gAnPY

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]

Kiznaiver - 12 1

Kiznaiver Review – 60/100

Kiznaiver is a very different faire from Studio Triggers other works in that it takes a more serious tone and has a writer who tends to go more for the melodramatic. This is a tale about a group of very different people gathered together and have their pain linked to one another. In an effort […]