Posted by psgels on 6 October 2011 with categories: Chihayafuru, Persona 4 The Animation, Some Quick First Impressions

Persona 4 The Animation

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a transfer student with special powers.
Seeing as how this was the most hyped up series of the new season… it felt oddly disappointing. I’m not referring to the characters, although that pee-moment certainly didn’t help, but what striked me the most is that the storytelling was completely off. In particular, this episode didn’t seem to care much about timing or build up. It didn’t seem to know how to create an atmosphere, it jumped around way too much instead of establishing things, and everything happened way too quickly . This episode had a very short attention span, which really hurt any attempts on drawing in the viewer: one moment the main character is in a shop, the next he dives in a tv. It just doesn’t flow well and there were a lot of anti-climaxes in this episode. Was the game really that long, forcing such a fast pacing? Oh, and this is just a small detail, but I consider it very important too: the show had what sounded like a great soundtrack, but it didn’t seem well used at all. There were lots of scenes with no background music at all, and it only started playing at the most predictable moments.
OP: Funky
ED: Again, funky. If only the rest of the soundtrack was like this.
Potential: 60%

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is surrounded by cute girls.
For a while, this episode actually avoided the usual warning signs. When it was just the main male and female together, this show avoided fanservice, the female lead was eloquent, rather than stupid, and about the only big cliche was the deadpan snarker male lead. Then the second female lead arrived, the girls turned tsundere and they wasted no time in making boob jokes. This show… when I first read that it’d be about people who are bad at being friends, I thought that this would be a show about outcasts. Instead, the main cast consists out of two people with foreign looks, suffering from Japan’s xenophoby, and another character who refuses to talk to others because of… arrogance I guess. That was not what I expected. Strangely enough, these people didn’t seem to suffer from insecurities at all. Instead, the emotion that prevailed here was annoyance for not being able to make friends. It doesn’t have the biggest cliches: aside from the boob jokes this episode refrained from beating any dead horses, but it has relatively little that it can call its own. The xenophobia was probably this episode’s biggest asset, but that was handled very one-sidedly: everyone is afraid of the main characters, aside from the really good-looking girls (yay for subtlety!). This was neither the worst moe show of the season, but it also certainly wasn’t the best.
ED: Why the nuns?
Potential: 40%

Short Synopsis: Our lead character plays card games.
This had the best animation of the new season so far. Seriously, Madhouse made this series look absolutely gorgeous. The use of cg is excellent, while it completely lacks the acting problems of Madhouse’s usual series. The shots are all creative, the animation is smooth and life-like. It would be awesome if the creators could keep it up like that. The rest of the episode also was wonderful: instead of most series about games, the female lead Chihaya isn’t a complete rookie at the start: she has been playing the card games (and seriously, they’re not what you think: this is miles away from Yugioh) for a few years now. In fact, this series series shows how she got introduced to it when she was still a grade schooler. What especially caught me however was how well it used its animation to portray the game. The soundtrack is also exceptionally well used. This is one to keep an eye out for: rock-solid… though it’s a shame that it’s a manga adaptation. Of a manga that isn’t finished yet.
OP: A bit generic, but certainly not the worst of the season.
ED: Simple, but very pretty visuals, with a decent ballad.
Potential: 90%

1. Scruffy says:

Loved this and really looking forward to see how this develops. I do hope that it’s not just around the love triangle though. The game itself sounds insanely hard!

2. paj says:

i have been looking forward to this since I love heorines like her. And who ever liken this one to yu gi oh? it is far from that. Anyways, I am glad that Chihayafu is getting the spot light!

3. kurini says:

OMG I LOVE IT!! It was the best first episode I’ve seen in a while!I really love this series! I can learn more about the japanese culture, it’s a plus!! Karuta! I know how it works now! :D

4. awioejfeiojf says:

yay! :3

5. VyseLegend says:

Yay! A series that isn’t a hyperactive mishmash of hundreds of character cliches, ridiculous and outlandish premises, fan service, and half assed animation!

6. Tan-Tan says:

A show about card games Psgel likes?

(and ygo is good D

7. Alec says:

This will probably become my fav anime of the season, but I’m pretty sure that like Iroha, this anime will also have quite a number of weak episodes

8. Esmeralda31 says:

This is really a good anime… after the mediocre stuff of spring, finally something good…

9. Scruffy says:

After checking out the manga I’d have to agree with psgels that this show risks being ruined by the end, although by the look of the start of the manga the author had a clear endpoint in mind. There’s 14 volumes out and I would guess by looking at the first 10 volumes that 10 is the halfway point. (only the first 10 have been scantilated :(

10. ender650 says:

It was much better than I thought it was going to be. I have been less than impressed with most Madhouse series in the past few years, but if they keep the interesting storytelling and animation quality up this could be really great. Negatives:the music was nothing special

11. Diasen says:

I wasn’t planning on checking Chihayafuru out but you made me. AND I LOVED IT :D

12. kero says:

I LOVED IT! I love straightforward heroines like her. And Taichi was great too, just from his expressions and actions, you knew exactly what he was thinking, without it being over the top.

I wanna learn to play karuta!

13. kero says:

I wanna learn to play karuta!

14. Tuuli says:

I liked the athmosphere it gave and the visuals look great and seems like the story will be done well with this ! I also like different kind of games and it seems to be well used here so this series will probably be an interesting series to follow. Since it’s a manga adaption that isn’t done yet I hope they will end it well or wait for the manga to end at some point. This one caught my attention so I will at least keep wathing it.

15. Tuuli says:

and the characters seemed really well done and they brought them really well to life.

16. Starry says:

Thanks for reviewing this, I checked it out and its quite lovely so far. Sticking it on my watch list for now.

17. Kah says:

Due to having been following the manga version, I already knew that this was an anime I would follow this season. It being a Madhouse anime was the cherry on the top! :D

18. billish says:

not really my type for anime, but i’ll probably still watch a few episodes
    not gonna judge it at all past its type until after episode 2 – 4

19. AKI says:

Twas good but not good enough, maybe im not the target audience. I enjoyed Phi Brain and Ika-Musume better. But I’ll still definitely watch this.

20. Anime Games says:

Most of the pics are not showing but I really love Chihayafuru is kinda funny and romantic…:-)

21. Joojoobees says:

Chihayafuru FTW! An excellent first episode, with some interesting characters, and strong hints of plot afoot.

22. Addictd says:

To answer your question about the length of Persona 4, psgels, yeah, it was that long. Once you start the game there’s over an hour of just heavy dialogue, so yeah, forcing the pacing in the beginning is something I can see. It really builds up by the end though. If the anime will do this too though, I don’t know.

23. HENRCAST says:

I’ve never played Persona 4, but the third one took me 120 hours… Yeah, the series’ games tend to be VERY long, but with extremely slow pacing

24. Starry says:

In regards to Persona 4… they crammed the first 90 minutes of the game into 20 in order to get to the first battle by the first episode. It takes about two hours to introduce the setting, characters and plot too. A normal playthrough takes about 60-80 hours to get to the true end and about 15-20 hours of it is pure story related/cutscenes

25. m says:

Persona 4: They sped through introductory material to get to some action. It seems like a bit of a mistake to me, because it stunted the main cast a bit and makes things a bit confusing. However, the game really is long and the Scooby parts will easily fill up two cours.

Persona 4 (game) has a fun soundtrack and they seem to have just lifted that for the most part for the series. It’s hard for me to complain about that too much. Although it would be nice to have had some new music to buy.

I didn’t really like the lighting and gradients in some of the scenes.

Overall, not too bad. Without a better idea of how the rest of series will be paced it’s hard to tell yet if it’ll be a good adaptation or not.

26. m says:

Persona 4: Oh, as an addendum. They will mix really silly humor and serious business throughout the story. I’ve seen you praise that sort of thing in series with worse stories, but I have no idea if it will work for you in this case or not.

27. DmonHiro says:

“Was the game really that long, forcing such a fast pacing?”
    Yeah… pretty much.

28. Suzushina Yuriko says:

Yeah, the first episode was incredibly rushed. The scene of them getting to the room with the noose in it, for example, was really creepy in the game but they kind of just brushed it off in the anime. Also, Souji was actually not supposed to summon Izanagi here – in the game, he made a second visit to the TV world with Yosuke that had a lot of importance to the plot.

The shadows aren’t even supposed to attack normal people until certain conditions are met, but it seems they ignored that here.

Since Persona 4 won the poll, I’m assuming you’ll be blogging this? I’m glad, because the story really does get good as it goes along and I wouldn’t want you to drop a good series just because it starts off bad.

29. Dalx says:

Well, for me the game was cloking more than 2 hours when I got to this part. The OST is funky and yet they don’t used it constantly, probably to protect it from getting stale (they’re loops, you see).

The pasing was pretty rushed for the first episode, the game had established Chie, Yosuke and Saki at that moment and the battle with the lying hableries (tongue things) had more explanation behind those things.

I belive the passing will slow down a bit after this and maybe the second chapter when you’re finally able to control the protagonist actions of the day and the grinding begins. They’ll have to go for the Social Links that, if made well, are Character Development in other name.

The problem I see is that they didn’t explained the concept (Persona) and Izanagi was just there, Souji knew what to do and all the infodumps of Igor where left out besides without the public getting a feel of Yosuke and Saki sempai the next episode will lose punch.

Was expecting this and that’s why I voted for P4 in the polls, it deserves patience.

30. h.n.elly says:

Not defending a bad execution, but to answer your question, yes, the game was. The game is long (80+ rpg) and all the material can’t be explored in the first playthrough unless you get very lucky.

Also, I think they want to put new material in the anime. I think P4 is going to be okay at best, but as a fan of the game, I’ll probably just enjoy seeing the characters.

31. troy says:

Sigh the game was a masterpiece but it was not really something good for Anime adaptation in the first place, the story of the game was good , but adapting it well will be…….hard.

32. Aera says:

Persona 4 would have needed a longer series to do it well, made worse by the fact that I dont think sticking to the way its presented in the game necessarily translates into an anime directly. Wasnt expecting much for the show and the first episode lived “up” to what I expected. Maybe it will get better, but I rather doubt it.

33. Dalx says:

I don’t think it would need longer series really, the start should had taken its time to build-up and establish characters instead of going for actionized first episode. Still, after the prologue, you spent a lot of time in random battles that, well, can be cut down and S. Links to be shown instead. I belive it is possible to have a well paced plot on 26 episodes.

34. Tan-Tan says:

Wait what? You didn’t like the storytelling? I think it was FANTASTIC! It felt so game-like! I think it’s a really interesting, experimental way and man I’m glad they had the guts to do it! I think what they did with Persona is awesome x3

35. awioejfeiojf says:

They are just copying the exact script of the game which is really dumb of them. They didn’t even bother to adapt it properly. Even the timing of the music is identical to the game…

36. betawatcher says:

@awieoefeiojf You… managed to put into words what I was thinking. I think psgels would have rated it even more negatively if he played the game. It felt to me like I was playing the game without the controller.

Yup, rushed. The emotional scenes made me burst in laughter. (Adachi puking was hilarious, it just seemed pasted there XDDD I’m sure I felt a little creeped out when I played this part) I hope they slow down a little in the next episodes…

The animation was pretty good though.

37. Diasen says:

Um.. So which show exactly do you consider as the best moe of the season? O_O?

38. psgels psgels says:

Diasen: Tamayura, with on second place either Horizon or Majikoi.

39. Ghost says:

I don’t know why I spamed the shoutout box instead of post here instead. haha

Unlike most I liked the first episode, to me it’s a build up because honestly we haven’t even dipped our toe into the story. Also, I thought the pace worked well but I think because I played the video game, I have a different perspective.

I already know and love the characters. Know the story so I might be bias haha But that doesn’t mean I didn’t have problems with it.
    I feel the “awakening” scene was…off. Like why was it in this episode anyway?! I hope it does slow down a little the next couple of episodes too though. In the video game, I think the opening was like 2 hours….and this is a very, VERY long game.

40. chounokoe says:

I can only say what others already said about the length of the game. It DOES take time to get somewhere and considering they decided to adapt some of the battles as well, they are gonna have some pacing issues along the way.
    Let’s say it’s 26 episodes, that makes about 520 minutes or about 8h40m of runtime…and that for a game that takes about 60h on a first run. Cuts HAVE to be made…even though it’s sad.

I think the first episode did an okay job of introducing the setting…I hope they include some of the information along the way. I admit that it would have probably been a bad choice to spend the first episode with talking only.
    Of course, for a better pacing it would have been nice if the episode only went to the first encounter with Mayonaka TV, but they have to consider an audience with less patience as well…especially when adapting a game that is known for it’s battle system…

41. Jack says:

Actually, I really liked the pacing: sure, it WAS rushed and the atmoshpere will probably suffer for it, but…

Well, two things: when most anime take its sweet time getting started, this felt a bit like an adaptation of a 60s Stan Lee comic: quick and to the point.

And this rushed pacing has the effect of mirroring the Main Character’s (calling him ‘yu’ seems odd) experience: here he is, on the SECOND DAY of his new life and shit just got WEIRD. He certainly did not get time to take a breath.

Also, I wonder if they botched the characterization here to focus on it during the S. Links? I mean, Yousuke was always a dork, but not THAT stupid. Even the wanting to pee thing was better handled on the game…

One last thing about the pacing: maybe they rushed it so much because the last series (persona trinity soul) sucked so much and this wasn’t at all like that snorefest?

42. Scruffy says:

I actually thought that Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukinai was quite good. I can understand why Yozora went all crazy when miss popularity turned up. To someone who is on the outer those sort of people almost seem like they are rubbing your face in it.

As to why the nuns? Well it’s a Catholic School

43. sadakups says:

The first episode is a wet dream for someone who has played the game with the references all over the place. It’s exactly how it felt like during the first hour of the game.

Other than that, the animation hiccups, the awkward “comedic” scenes and kinda weak exposition of the mystery, it was pretty solid.

44. psgels psgels says:

Scruffy: I grew up in catholic schools as an atheist. Believe me, there are no nuns or anything in that direction whatsoever.

45. Fedek says:

Persona 4 was OK. i had played the game.

Shin megami tensei games, are supossed to be deep.

But for realz, is shonen fighting. That I like, but not as deep.

The best thing in persona titles, are the characters adn the funky aestethics.

46. AKI says:

So I watched Persona 4 – it was definitely intriguing. Haven’t played the game myself but I think the first episode did many things the right way. It may be rushed but the adrenaline was there.

I expected Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai to suck, but it wasn’t half bad. At least the lead female doesn’t have Shana’s voice. The male lead however was just a copy/paste of many harem anime.

47. Rex says:

“It didn’t seem to know how to create an atmosphere, it jumped around way too much instead of establishing things, and everything happened way too quickly .”

Of course it feels odd, those idiots tried to cram two hours worth of story into 20 minutes. Its impossible to do right.

@psgels: If you can, play the first two hours of the game, then you know what you missed. Lets just hope they get a proper pacing from now on.

48. Anon says:

Persona 4 is so rushed. The director should have taken some time to develop MC. Even if he’s quiet, there should have been monologues. He has no personality whatsoever, which is ok in game, but really bad in anime. The fact that the director chooses not to give MC personality (one of the few things that can elevate the anime beyond the game) is stupid.

Persona 4 doesn’t make a good 26-episode anime to begin with. For such limited time, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor would fare much better. It has a more compact story, it builds atmosphere faster, less focus on side characters and no sidetracking.

49. Sho says:

@Anon: Ditto on the Devil Survivor thing.

I only took a peek at the 1st ep of Persona 4..and i thought it was ok. But you can tell the transition from game to anime did’nt go so well. So far, the only good thing about the show is that Shoji Meguro is doing the soundtrack.

KT here: This looks pretty though I am sure I will object to the way the history is presented.
KT here: Classicaloid Season 2 penultimate episode had a whole bunch of anime/game references including an Akuma one.
With Vinland, I think it was that it switched magazines, started as a shounen.
HYPE! HYPE! VINLAND HYPE! I really hope it's a 2-cour where they end with the "End of Prologue".
Wonder how Vinland will be. It's one of the very very very few long running series I still consider as good. Usually there is always a lot of stuff that annoys me once a series switches its tone or genre at some point.
I also wish Wixoss would die and I really loved the first series, even both seasons. But the lastest one without Okada was atrocious.
@Kaiser: that kind of distraction is just the internet's curse I know it as well. It kinda pisses me off because I was a pretty diligent worker once and created a lot of create new content even. Now I often get the urge to check the newest funny tweets/memes whatever.
Well played sir
In my headcanon I'm pretending the crowdfunding for a possible gunsmith cats anime will work.
This will be a good way to re-cap on older chapters of Vinland through the adaptation. I started reading it way back in 2007.
excellent news
So, vinland saga appears to have gotten picked up for an adaptation by WIT
I will watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. Probably give Golden Kamuy a chance.
I'll consider golden kamuy at least.
I'm too busy with galactic heroes original to watch the remake right now and you can bet for certain i am staying far far away from mahou shoujo site.
While I won't say anythong doreikus villain reveal pretty much killed it for me. I never really watched much of full metal panic due to not finding it funny.
Just let Wixoss, Sword art and tokyo ghoul die already , its beating the dead horse at this point.
Kaiser-Eoghan in the meantime you can all content yourself with that preview.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
@Anon, When it's done.
They actually take work you know, not as if I can just cough them up on a whim.
Spring Preview when?
I enjoy TONS of subtitled stuff, but I have to admit...sometimes to re-winding and pausing when the dialogue gets heavy or complex.
I know Aico has a shit dub but sometimes I find myself watching in English and feeling lazy because its easier to watch more now that way.
I used to be able to marathon stuff so easily but now I can't do the 12 episodes in one go thing like I used to.
Something goes off, even after 30 minutes to an hour "Shit....have to see if something NOW....can't stop myself"
I'm not the kind of person who messes with their phone in a cinema, but at home somehow theres this moments where I just get this distracting urge to keep checking some site, E-mail, snacking, going to the bathroom too often or lie down, look at someones doujin/smut art or write something all when I'm supposed to be doing something else.
What I mean is, I'll be reading/watching something and its not boring at all, maybe even interesting, but I can't stop pausing sometimes for...reasons and it takes me longer to get through something because of this.
I know this is pretty much an effect of living in this generation but, for those of you who experience this, how do you guys deal with "distraction." Sometimes this annoys me....
@Amagi: I'm evasive of "non-old man pubs" at night , particularly late at night, I don't want to come across any "characters" I'd prefer not to encounter.
Liquor goes great after copious amounts of beef and steak
@Amagi, Considering that I am here, you probably should have expected a Fate GO review.
Wow I didn't expect a FGO review here
Well it's the reason why I never drink alcohol at home. Even if I were depressed it wouldn't change my mood so it's pointless.
I can reach a point where I feel like dreaming but none of my character traits change. Guess it always varies depending on the person. Same with my best friend, he's just get tired when drunk, but nothing else ever happens.
@Kaiser: Same here. Often go to pubs with friends at night but not only do I not want to ever get my mind "altered" by alcohol, it doesn't even work it seems. Or maybe it's the will or that I am just not influenceable.
Ah, this is just me being in grumpyKaiser mode =)
I have been drunk, I do not like it. I do like being tipsy, but hate drunk. I generally like beer because it does not muck me up as bad as harder drinks (ouzo, raki, and I absolutely despise tequila). The first time in my life I celebrated Valentine's Day was this year. Have to say that it was not too bad.
Baccardi and Vodka were the only forms of alcohol I felt didn't especially taste "off" to me.
I also dislike Valentines day for the schmaltz, insincerity, fakeness around it and the idea there has to be "a day" for it and the captilization, commercialization of emotions.
In all my thirty one years I have never been drunk and never intend to, I dislike the idea of surrendering my mind to alcohol and feeling "altered". If anything you would be safer doing marijuana.
And Guinness is massively overrated.
@Anon: I care for neither really.
Alcohol culture in a nutshell: if you like to drink sweet alcohol that actually tastes good instead of liquor that tastes like gasoline and piss, you're a pussy.
I've no interest in Irelands drinking culture /festival days much.
Its really just a day off or an excuse for 13 year olds to get drunk.
He was Welsh aswell and there weren't exactly that much snakes in Ireland to begin with.
@Mario: Its technically St Patricks day now yes. Not that I personally care for it, I got going to the parade out of my system over a decade ago, never liked the oirishness and cliches/commercialisim around it, in the end it just makes it impossible to get around the city, plus the weather is so poor its pointless going out anyway.
I saw some Irish flags around my area. Is it St Patrick day today?
I did listen to some of aico's dub, I don't think any of these people are experienced or professional voice actors.
Anon: B the beginning was too much of an awkward genre mix. I was content to just ignore aico because I'm not a fan of Bones as a studio but you're the second person to say it reminds them of some old ova.
@Anon: I enjoyed the combination of old and new with devilman, it even being able to eclipse the ovas, aswell as the experimental visual style and transgression, and as you said, the surprising emotional involvement.
So i finish, B the Beginning, Aico, Devilman( What a feel's ride). and I must say that they're far from perfect, but they remaind me of 90, early 2000 anime, that i loved so much and that is a big plus. Today's anime doesnt feel quite the same in my opinion, what are your thoughts.. Now im getting excited to watch SWORD GAI!.
While obvious an anime series, After the rain often feels like a live action film.
@Mario: Actually that does remind me, I never saw Pola X by Carax.
Miike is extremely hit or miss, but I loved how Audition minipulated the viewer with its slower first half before really taking off, most of Ichi the killer is just a perversely funny black comedy to me.
Chang-dong-Lee is refreshingly less melodramatic then other Korean directors.
Benh Zeitlin is one I'm not familiar with, but it turns out he did beasts of southern wild and I enjoy magical realism.
@Mario: I wasn't aware Carax was still alive, some sgements of holy motors work, others don't , lovers on the bridge was a more accessible film I recall.
@Fluca: okay. Kinda fixed it. I don't think we have a spoiler code so I just changed your spoiler into white color
@Kaiser: I'm checking movies from indie auteur directors that could come out this year, interested Benh Zeitlin's second movie, Lee Chang Dong's and Leos Carax's one
Would love to see Our Little Sister in anime form, actually
Although Miike directs like at least 40 feature films, I only remember his Audition and Ichi the Killer the most, both of which I have extremely mixed feeling about
Every time I here the title Aico, it makes me think its some kind of eco/environmental thing, which I know it isn't.
The fate/extra Alice character (I looked her up) looks like she belongs in rozen maiden.
The modern Japanese directors can be prolific Miike and Sono pump out more than one film a year.
And it shows, that Our little sister adaptation, that live action adaptations CAN sometimes work.
Quick fact, that action crime josei anime, Bananna fish, coming out in April is based on a manga by the writer of Our little sister's manga.
@Mario: The interest being, how he would handle something so removed from his usual style.
@Mario: Actually re-checking, its next week, The third murder , which seems very different, a courtroom drama with some philosophy in it.
I really enjoy Our Little Sister, but I think mainly because the film is entirely within my comfort zone (Slice of life manga material, about the life of these girls)
@Kaiser: Which one will you see? He now directs one movie per year so it's hard to keep track some times. I really like his style and I reckon people who like slice-of-life will enjoy his movies
@Mario: Hirokazu Koreeda has a new film out, seeing it on Friday, I've only seen Our little sister by him.
@Anon: I essentially deleted the rest of the episodes off my computer after struggling through the first, like most, maybe moreso I got very turned off by the genre mixing. Thats not to say that I'm against genre mixes though, but they have to be weird, I mean really weird.
I am not a fan of breather episodes, something most modern anime are pretty keen to insert. I hate breaking of climaxes in order to show three SoL-, fanservice- or formularic monster of the week episodes before the main plot progresses further. When I want SoL I go watch a full fleshed SoL. Aico is pretty straight forward and kinda easy to watch in one go in that regard. Nothing really new though.
Just finished Aico. Had a few downsides like most series but I enjoyed it. Felt like a classic scifi anime you'd see in the 90s.
@Anon, I watched it. Though it was mixed but a decent enough watch. It really felt like two shows hastily combined into one. Been thinking of writing a review for it and Aico once I finish Aico.
*Have you watch
Have toy watch, B The Beginning?
I would call it somewhat lightweight however, but I won't complain/level too much against it, as it is afterall, a family film.
*in my memory
Nice animation showcase aswell though I don't know how long this will really stay i my memory, though it was nice.
Although it relies on being fairly convenient, linear and simplistic, that Mary witch flower anime movie is at its strongest when visually drawing the viewer into its world and wherever it shows spectacle. I'd say its adequately charming. Fair enough.
Hakata sounds like Gangasta. A series I enjoyed, despite its massive flaws
thanks guys. I will probably give it a try. I am also watching the Castlevania anime finally. Not really worth it for me. Also I watched the first episode of Garo Vanishing Line. I can a say it was fun.
Hi guys, anyone here played Sea Bed VN? Just wondering...
@Anon1880687 - I watched a couple of episodes. Feels like a foreign series. Since it doesn't feel like an anime made in Japan. I did like the group of revengers seem to have more personality than the main leads which insinuate chemistry but doesn't go deep into it. I don't remember if they explain why one of the leads chooses to dress like a girl. Though at least they give him/her a male voice.
@KTravlos: me. Not impressed. First few eps were alright with a set of bold characters, but later the lot just goes around in circle for these characters acting cool and cool rules the day. I dropped it after episode 6
KT here. Has anybody watched Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens? Impressions?
@Vonter: It gets more serious later although I agree it's better starting this without any knowledge about the series, like I did. I just loved the tragicomical jokes and the obsessive nostalgia Bojack suffered from and neither needed nor expected any drama but it was pretty good when it happened nonetheless.
@Anon, Not really. They just wanted to find some justification for the trashy aspects for a show they liked rather than accept it.
And while I understand how obnoxious it can be, there are times when people complain about a show doesn't explain itself and then get pissed off when you try to give an explanation.
ProZD nails it on the head yet again The people who continue to make excuses for kill la kill's fan service are the same ones fapping to episodes of the show to this day
@Vonter: From what I hear, while it does have comedy, by the second season not only does it improve, but its more of a drama.
I've been watching Bojack Horseman. It's good, yet watching certain clips before the actual series made me expect a darker show. I know it's a cartoon, but some jokes reduced the impact of certain events. Though I suppose it's meant to be uplifting and not just mean spirited. It gave me some Nier and Aku no Hana vibes.
We watched the first three episodes of B the Beginning. I must say I enjoyed it. We will see how the rest goes.
*whole franchise bar Macross delta
Despite loving the mans work since I got started on anime when I was younger, I still haven't seen Kawamori's most recent Macross series despite seeing the whole franchise.
I think devilman set me up for the idea that netflix would be putting out more transgressive anime.
If i were to rank the three netflix original shows that have released so far in descending order, it would be devilman crybaby, AICO, and then B: the beginning
so i just finished binge watching AICO...give it a watch if you guys have time, it's pretty good
@Mario: A good dose of reality in that episode though.
@Mario: Well I guess I called it completely wrong on who Chihiro was lol
@Amagi: Steins gate spent far too much time on a jokey first half.
Not that I'm trashing polemical writing, I find stuff by Jean-Luc-Godard fucking funny.
Doing a giant mood piece isn't pretentious, because it probably doesn't have a concrete meaning any way.
While still keeping it with enough sophistication .
For example, doing a rant of a film will only communicate to your intellectual friends and people already in the know, the working class guy you want to inform with your societal/political/religious ideas , was probably watching a western back in the 60s/70s, just incorporate the themes into that while not sacrificing the films appeal
With regards to pretension, I think that comes into play when you have a director trying to communicate ideas but ends up becoming ridiculously, overly polemical, its better to communicate thought provoking ideas through something straight, while also remaining some distance.
I think it often happens when authors create things on the fly, at least with manga. You can see terrible forms of comedy/SoL -> drama/scifi switches among webcomics, which are usually done by "amateurs", some of them being pretty young. It's always good when a series hints or blatantly shows what it is during its first episodes/chapters. Not talking about mysteries but genres.
Usually for dramatic comedy to work I feel it needs to let the viewer know early on that the story will feature both....the sudden drama thing generally is a result where a funny film needs an ending and a story needs to be fabricated hastily.
Melodrama is like genre mixes. If it does work it can be something special, but it's really hard to write and most directors just lack the talent to do so. It's like a comedy that turns serious at some point. It CAN work, but there aren't many cases where that happens. Usually they're just alienating their comedy fans and the drama fans weren't there to begin with.
Same here
I think some really old Euro movies, latin ones especially get away with melodrama well because the acting was different and more theatrical .
If the mekodramatics can properly cast a spell on a viewer, I am open to it if the writers strong enough but in general, when I'm watching something, the best stories are the ones where the atmosphere is so assure I forget I'm watching fiction.
I know they just want to make their audience feel good but I think it's a terrible moral or idea. Especially since most people know at least one person they loved that died from such illnesses. No matter what they did or tried to do to overcome it.
Yeah exactly. Honestly most cancer movies are terrible I think. I also hate these series in which the main character, I don't know, wins a match for his cancer-ridden love and then s/he recovers.
@Amagi: Too silly for me, the psycho faces.
@Kaiser: Not using music can be a great method to illustrate serious moments I think.
I've spoken to my father about this, who recovered from cancer years ago, those kind of phrases irritate him, hr said " don't battle, fight cancer, you fucking suffer through it, then if your lucky you get through it"
I mean, again, I loved Madoka but I see how this method they used is kinda cheap. It's still better than many other series of that type. I am aready looking forward to see how terrible Magical Girl Site is, the trailer looks like a psycho face trash fest.
The really annoying thing is when some of these docs and dramas use phrases like "her battle, her FIGHT, her BRAVE fight against cancer.
I enjoyed Madoka but I know what you mean. I think I will never rewatch Madoka but I love to see certain Tutu- and Sailor Moon scenes from time to time. I think Madoka is kinda similar to netflix shows or code geass in that regard. It always ends with some evil cliffhanger to hype you up for the next episode and it throws in one shocking revelation after another for the same reason.
@Amagi: On the music thing, some documentaries do this. What I loved about Shoah and night and fog is that the directors showed the landscapes/buildings where it happened and never used music.
I mean I know how bad ww2 and other things were. I really don't need rain, sad music and lots of actor tears to realize that. It reminds me of the laughing tracks sitcoms have that tell you when you have to laugh. And newer movies have exaggerated effects as well, not a fan of that. I rather see well thought-out content than a bomb-show. Not to mention that I hate sensory overload.
Its also kind of why I can NEVER look at hentai of something I enjoyed when I was young.
Which I admit is bias and a crap opinion lol
I grew up with Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailormoon and looking into lighthearted mahou shoujo , I don't mind nanoha and tutu, but there was always the feeling madoka was corrupting something.
On dark moe, I've stopped with lol edgy when criticizing Madoka, I realize that its the equivalent to Batman porn to me, the idea of that level of a slant on a genre I went for when I was a kid.
I agree. I was interested in Schindler's List when I was ~12 or so because it was something new for me. Nowadays I realize it's not really my thing, there are many western war shows that come of as too "pathetic" to me, they feel too much like, well, Hollywood blockbusters (which is what they actually are) than a serious commetary on war or so.
@Amagi: Thats the trouble I have with Hollywood , a film about Autism like Rain man or a mental illness movie like I am Sam, these American movies never seem real and the depictions feel so hammy and inaccurate.
On the dark moe trope, rather than throwing out words on it, its the tonal inconsistency that gets to me.
Yeah the opposite is bad as well. A show can have good intentions, even lots of good ideas but still have a bad execution.
Schindler's list is a great example of this, personally I think popcorn drama/oscar baiting the holocaust is somewhat distasteful and the film comes off as comparitively ingenuinely when I've seen a couple of eastern war films by people who actually lived during the war.
And "egdy" is very much about the tone a series has and not so much the actual content. Therefore it has to be explained as well, a dark series, even one with lots of blood, isn't necessarily edgy, it depends on the stance the autor has, whom we're supposed to root for and why, how characters and scenes are depicted and the overall tone, moral and so on.
On another note, to go back to "critic proof", this is a terrible practice because it allows people to take an easy topic for a story and it become forbidden to give a bad review.
Yeah, "badly written" for example doesn't mean anything unless you're gonna illustrate how it is badly written by showing and analyzing examples from the show and explain why the writing for these scenes is weak
Thats why I like here, people actually talk about a show in some detail, even the reviewers.
An non-backed up opinion when I'm looking for a show to follow doesn't tell me anything, how am I meant to know to watch something based on a single word or sentence?
I suppose its less of a case of buzzwords and more how people don't explain anything . The reason I say I have to do a 300 word review or long opinion on something is because I feel buzzwords and one word/one sentence opinions are un-helpful.
@Amagi: And I think thats certainly an issue, the lines being bkurred between shitposting/trolling and genuine critique .
I mean there are a lot of badly written shows out there or shows that are too tryhard, but people often use these phrases as buzzwords for everything and don't state reasons for using these terms for a specific show. I see tons of "egdy" posts as soon as a series is a bit darker than the usual harem and it's hard to distinguish these pieces from actual shitposts or trolls.
It sounds better to say that I don't like something because it's too egdy, too stupid and pure pandering (when it's about moe) or "badly written" than saying that I can't relate to certain settings, characters and so one or that I've seen a certain idea too often.
@Kaiser: I think many people just don't want to admit that disliking a series is usually a subjective thing. They rather want to credit their own intelligence for not liking it.
New Boogiepop anime announced for 2018 o/

Mahoutsukai no Yome -23 [Nothing Seek, Nothing Find]

Welcome to the penultimate episode of Chise and friends, the premier hollow friendship simulator of the season. This week on Mahoutsukai we have biblical backstories, every named character shows up and a general decline from last episode. Lets jump in! In terms of general quality, its a step down from last week. That isn’t unexpected, […]

After the Rain – 10 [Sudden Shower]

At this point I can safely say that I will enjoy whatever direction Ameagari will wrap up. It has transformed from a merely love story between two adorable individuals with a huge age gap into something much deeper, more refine and more poetic. This episode is another stellar showcase in a way it feels entirely […]

Violet Evergarden – 10 [Loved Ones Will Always Watch Over You]

It’s a neat (and cruel) trick Violet Evergarden pulled this week. I always have a soft spot for mature undertone story from a point of view of kids (that’s why I am always fond of To Kill a Mockingbird, for instance) so this story is right within my wheelhouse. Violet Evergarden’s melodrama approach can be […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 11 [Bash That Drum Can!]

Another episode of Universe that delves into friendship issues. While I can see many hiccups along the way, I can still say the ride is worth it. Not that I think this episode stands out, rather that I don’t know exactly how I feel about this episode’s resolution. This episode features my favorite girl, a […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 07[A Story for Someone’s Sake ― Nursery・Rhyme ―]

Thus ends the Nursery Rhyme two episode arc and that certainly was more confusing than it needed to be. The fight was once again, anticlimactic and rather lacking strategy wish as well. I mean our protagonists kept talking like they had a plan but it pretty much amounted to just climbing the tower and fighting […]

Darling in the Franxx – 09[Triangle Bomb]

Today on Darling in the Franxx, death flags averted. I admit that throughout this episode I fully prepared myself to see Goro die. The signs were everywhere with him confirming to Hiro that he was in love with Ichigo, the mission leaving him stranded with a trolosuar, the hair clip as well as the base […]

Junji Ito Collection – 10[Greased/Bridge]

Ugh, I was lucky I ate before that first story started. Not so much scary but very disgusting with the oily dirty house and that brother with the pimples…ugh. This story is more gross out factor than actual horror as there isn’t really a plot besides this girl living with her horrible family in a […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 22 [As you sow, so shall you reap]

These past few episodes I have been rather critical of Mahoutsukai, and rightfully so I would say. The new characters are lackluster, the plot/stories dull. A 7/10 series at best. It is with this mindset, this frame of reference, that I can see “As you sow, so shall you reap” is the best episode of […]

Violet Evergarden – 08/09 [Violet Evergarden]

If I haven’t known beforehand that Violet Evergarden has 14 episodes, I would easily assume that this is the conclusion of Violet Evergarden. And in some ways, there is a strong sense of closure in this latest episode. This last two episodes have their full attention to the core development of Violet, that includes an […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]