Posted by psgels on 10 October 2011 with categories: Mirai Nikki, Some Quick First Impressions

Chibi Devi!

Short Synopsis: Our lead character receives a baby from out of nowhere.
Just… what the hell was that supposed to be? This was… so bad that it became hilarious again. This episode was five minutes long, and it featured some of the worst animation and most wooden characterization of the entire season. The plot where a bullied girl takes care of a devil baby who is literally dropped into her bed (I really do mean literally: there are two hands visible who really drop that thing from out of this random hole in the air) is just ridiculously stupid and the acting may be so stiff and wooden that it becomes hilarious, it’s the kind of hilarious that’s probably going to be fun one episode. Of five minutes.
OP: Those vocals! Make them stop!
Potential: 0%

Mirai Nikki

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has a stalker.
Ooh, I like this one. This one turned out to be an excellent suspense series, with a very creative premise of using diaries that can predict the future. This episode was especially good at portraying the main character, and especially relating in how he slowly realized how badly he has been screwed over; his reactions were just priceless, and it gives this show a whiff of psychological horror that I can really appreciate. This episode was well animated, which is also a plus and for once an episode was fast-paced, without rushing though everything. There was one part where this episode fell down, though: the bad guy of this episode. He was just… there and we really don’t know anything about him. The creators had better try harder for the next characters to run into our main character, because this has potential to become a really fun series. Oh, and finally a series has the balls to have school that doesn’t feature school uniforms. That gives the character designers much more freedom, and it shows: this show really has this unique look without having a particularly different art style.
ED: Clever
Potential: 80%

Mobile Suit Gunam AGE

Short Synopsis: Our lead character pilots a giant robot.
Oh you’ve got to be kidding me. The big selling point of Gundam AGE was that it would show a completely different version of the regular Gundam series. In the end though, all that that amounted to was a new coat. It actually did nothing to remove the most obnoxious parts of the franchise. The male lead still is a teenager who for very convenient reasons ends up piloting a giant robot stronger than all others, he instantly knows how to pilot it, the female lead is completely useless, and there is a lot of angst about how bad war is. Sunrise, for the love of god try something new for a change. Probably the most insulting part is how pathetic the military is: even though they have never been attacked, they’ve only got one capable pilot. On top of that, they allow a twelve year old boy to design new mobile suits for God knows how much money. Really guys: designing and coordinating such a large-scale project isn’t so easy that you can just take off to school at the same time. Oh, and another cliche: everyone is an idiot in order to make the male lead look smart. Throughout the entire episode he is the only one who worries about the incoming invasion. Please Sunrise: you’re mecha series rocked because of how creative they were. This is not the way to do it.
OP: You can see that a lot of budget was put behind this, but it’s just too mainstream to really work. The flying scenes are good, though.
ED: This is pretty decent, though.
Potential: 30%

1. AidanAK47 says:

Psgels, here’s some advice about Mirai Nikki. If you spot a plot hole it’s best to just go with it. Because believe me, it won’t be the last one you see. When one thinks about it logically this series makes no sense whatsoever.
    But the good thing is that the manga is finished. So for once we can get an honest to god ending instead of a life goes on or filler ending.

2. Jellyfish Marine says:

Oh, this is perhaps the first time that my own impression goes quite the opposite way to yours. If I recall correctly, Gundam AGE does not promise to break away through the Gundam franchise through story but rather the audience it targets; children, because they already have a more serious series for teenager and adult this year in form of OVA. I remember that the producer also promises tons of nostalgic elements from the old Gundam series, and in this aspect I think that the first episode executed it quite alright, even the human-like movement of the Gundam really reminded me of the first series. It is also quite interesting that the interaction between characters are western-like to some degree, which I find refreshing too. I will not comment on things like young genius designing his own robot and can suddenly move the giant thing pretty well in the first time /me look at Amuro and Kira… Sure, if you are looking for a very deep story with probable plot then AGE may not be the anime for you.

Anyway, I think that the first episode has a very good pacing, in fact, maybe the best first episode on my current watching list.

3. rufe says:

I mean…school uniforms are still a major part of life in Japan. I had a friend who went to a school that didn’t require uniforms, but students were permitted to wear prescribed uniforms if they wished (and they did).

Honestly I miss the presence of the school hat =P

4. Rintarou says:

Um, psgels, every single complaint you have against Gundam AGE was in the synopsis, and yet you still rated it as highly anticipated. So…why are you all of a sudden buttdevastated here? Also, you want it to do something completely new with the Gundam franchise in…1 episode? Really? You should give it time before tossing it to the way side like you have here, especially considering you ignored every single complaint you had here in the fall preview despite the fact they were clear as day in the synopsis of the series.

5. Juno says:

@Rintarou: I’m not going to speak directly for psgels, but I’m guessing he doesn’t have so much time to be watching every single series this season. And most people who don’t have a lot of time must judge a series on its first episode or two, so the first episodes must make a good impact on the audience. If it fails at that, it doesn’t mean the series is bad, but they sure shouldn’t expect people to continue to watch it…

That being said, psgels… I think you were a bit harsh, pointing out many things that aren’t important in making a respected review. It’s more like you had expectations from the hype, but because those expectations were betrayed, you were frustrated. Those plot points did seem a bit one-layered at first, but I see a lot of room for direction through them. I’m sure you’ll calm down in a few episodes, unless they turn this into something to make all Gundam fans cringe… but that’s for the future.

6. Sho says:

Mirai Nikki sounds interesting. I wonder if the entire soundtrack is as *unique* as the pv’s music.

7. Sho says:

As for Gundam Age…that rpg game based on the show (by Level 5) should be interesting.

8. Jérémy says:

As said before, Mirai Nikki is full of plothole and things that come out of nowhere. The best thing with it is to just ignore them and enjoy the series for what is: a fast-paced thrill-ride XD

9. qwerty1 says:

You can learn a few things about Third in Mirai Nikki if you pick up on a few clues.

I haven’t looked anything up on the original material yet, but I wouldn’t expect to see the teacher any more. Pretty smart using an question on material you hadn’t taught yet to root out people reading the future.

10. Cicero says:

Hurray! You haven’t read the Mirai Nikki Manga.

I’ll be looking forward to your reviews as an example of an unspoiled perspective. So please be careful to avoid spoilers.

11. Frost says:

Mirai Nikki was the best 1st episode this season for me, kept me hooked throughout, but thats to be expected since it involved knowing the future

12. Art says:

The Third diary user didn’t just appear out of thin air;

he was Hiyama, Yukiteru’s teacher- he even has a few lines in this episode as the teacher. Hiyama-sensei found out about Yukki being a diary user due to the latter’s sudden, drastic academic improvement. This will be revealed soon enough (subtly). (confirmed in the manga)

And if you look closely you will notice that machete man and the teacher have the same hair, except he ties it up in teacher mode.

13. Aline says:

Don’t worry about the ‘bad guys’ in Mirai Nikki. This one was really one-dimensional, but I think he mainly served as an example. The other diary users are really interesting and all have a different background and view on their powers. Let’s just hope the series doesn’t follow the last couple of chapters of the manga, which was just one big fest of ass pulls. To about the point where it starts fucking with time it’s good though.

14. vertigo chateau says:

WOW. That was probably the most generic first episode of gundam I’ve ever seen paired with the most terrible character designs. Notice the fat kid and vargas (the old man)? Friggin horrible.

15. Kalandra says:

Blog Mirai Nikki. I think Bakuman season 2 would be better than season 1, but its not blogging material.

16. betawatcher says:

Creepy. I like the atmosphere of Mirai Nikki… (I find it funny that they make the paired-up-with-your-stalker situation more serious. I’d actually be kinda glad somebody was there to protect me, since the stalker hasn’t actually done anything crazy to you yet… except making the other diary owners make you their target.)

But maybe I’ll wait for blu-ray release and a more decent fansub group to pick this up. I already have 5 shows to download.

17. Frost says:

Oh, completely forgot to mention Gundam… Yeah, well I am actually happy its not just a kids version of Gundam because I wouldnt watch that, and I have to say having watching almost every Gundam series, they ALWAYS start out slow and unimpressive…

But I also loled at the character designs… the old guy with emo hair, HAHAHA who thought that was a good idea? Its just abysmal

18. AKI says:

Oooooh, Mirai Nikki did not disappoint! It has the feel of Death Note and Deadman Wonderlan!! Yey! I’ve found my replacement to Steins;Gate!

19. Petit says:

I hope Nikki won’t turn into another Deadman Wonderland

And the green hair for AGE… Ugh, my eyes hurt

20. Watcherzero says:

Sunrise have done some good departures. The MS IGLOO series (no teenage protagonists, no super powerful mechs, no instant skill). The Mobile Suit GunPla (which you have to accept exists to sell kits) but is actually really good. SD Gundam, chibi comedy spinoffs Mk IV’s parody of Wacky Races is amazing!!!

21. Cholisose says:

I really liked the first episode of Mirai Nikki. I’m looking forward to seeing how the main characters are handled, as well as the general tone and direction of the plot. Lots of intriguing concepts already introduced… Pretty excited about this one.

22. Left says:

Is it just me or does it look like Yuno is stroking a white penis…

23. Lloyd says:

Right. I’m back again for Mirai Nikki. I hope you end up blogging for it, but I don’t know how many episodes it will be (guessing at 25). I am hoping to see some serious Xanatos gambits this time round.

24. Joojoobees says:

Chibi Devi: I don’t know why more people aren’t writing about this little gem. I have never seen something quite this ambitious before. What other show attempts to tackle the deeper issues of religion, particularly the nature of evil, in 5 minute chunks. And that OP! Elegant in its simplicity: “baby devil”, once you have said that, do you really need to say anything else?

25. 7godeohs says:

Art: Spoiler tags are there for a reason. The best parts of this story are Yuno Gasai (obviously) and the surprises of how things connect together. I’ve read the manga, but not everyone else has.

26. cheese says:

Just wondering, Mirai Nikki was created under which animation studio?

Even if it had been true, that still wouldn't have been enough to push me to watch it.
He tricked us. He tricked the world. This is what happens when series people make jokes. No one notices its a joke
Dangit
@Lenlo, I fell for it too but that was a joke. They really should have clarified it better in that video.
I watched the new Yamato 2202 episodes. Very good. Especially episode 13.
I don't get it either, and I'm still up to date with Franxx
I know. I dont understand it
It sounds... completely random to me.
Crap, I have to watch the whole season now
Miyazaki of Ghibli fame is directing the last episode of Darling in the Franxx?
Wait wait wait
*nearly two
On the golden kamuy manga, two volumes adapted in three episodes....is this going to be a rush job?
of course when I started watching it, I wasn't aware how far his character would come.
*off at the beginning
Ah, now thinking it over, I understand why it took so long for Julian to click with me as a character, he was the one adolescent among them all and that initially threw me off initially, at the same time, this did allow for great character growth.
I also dig the Hussar pelisse's in the imperial uniforms. Kudos for making Anschbach and Mecklemburg still fairly rational characters.
The new one is not bad, but unlike in the old series, here I enjoyed the Yang episode more.
One problem I have with the new LOGH. The new Reinhard does not evoke the charisma of the old one. The old one was a magnetic character. Hate it or like him, I would love to drink a beer with Yang Wen Li, but I was glued on the screen whenever Reinhard was on it. The voice actor had a way to convey a feeling that this guy is truly exceptional. The pathos, the authority, the charisma.
So hearing that the third season is apparently darker is a plus.
See that was my problem with full metal panic, genuinely disliked the school comedy bits and wanted it to focus solely on the war story.
Anonymous2049774
Besides that for the most part I'm really enjoying. The backgrounds are great, I think the CGI is actually pretty good with the ships, only thing missing is that classic Imperial/FPA themes, but I suppose they have to make new ones.
Anonymous2049774
Actually, Julian also looks pretty young right now, but that's probably because... he is at this point in the story. But I just hope throughout the series we get to see his character design grow.
Anonymous2049774
I agree. I honestly don't even mind most of the designs, there are only a handful of characters I feel like they missed the mark; only problem is most are pretty important characters (most notably Kircheis, I think Yang's design is somewhere in the middle for me)
just one issue. Annerose's weird eyelashes. They stood out. More than Reihards. But they did.
Episodes 3 and 4 of the new LOGH have won me over. Very good, good use of music, and economic but to the point. Episode 3 did a better job than the original in getting across the depravity of the nobility. And Jessica in episode 4 was great.
I have successfully managed to ignore Darling in the Franxx.
@Masky: I keep up with it because I'm so far in, some of the intrigue is gone, their just fighting the monsters now.
Funny enough whle I was really into the promised Neverland before, I now have no real interest in it. After the first arc ended my engagement died out
Hmm, *bother to care at all makes more sense I think
If what is pretty much best of it that is out nowadays is just "semi" on level on caring, why ye care to care about shonen at all? :D
@Mario: One of the very few shounen I semi-care about.
Good news, the Promised Neverland will be adapted into anime https://www.animefeminist.com/the-promised-neverland-gets-anime-adaptation/
Heard of it, don't know anything of it.
Anonymous2043546
anyone know OpenGL
Rather nice inclusion that they had the voice actors actually speaking Ainu in Kamuy's third episode.
Anonymous2040262
its almost like he could be an antagonist
For me I don't mind if I have to pay to watch the series/ films, but damn it don't restrict me to access it. Entertainment medium is meant to be an exposure (for the lack of better terms), it's supposed to be available to the mass and nobody care for a series that isn't available for streaming. We have way too many other options out there
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem". Someone said that and I couldn't say it better
@Amagi: which part of Firework that you stopped? It's the movie that make less and less sense as the story goes on so I feel you on that
I really wonder what's up with this guy. Considering the hype and VN screens he gets he seems to be more than just random side-protagonist. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Anonymous2039704
One of my favorite OPs this season
Now I textwalled again and feel bad.
In short: be it indie-products or official series or papers, just upload everything on a virtual plattform and you'll get a bigger audience, many of them even willing to pay as long as they get what they want in high quality.
Something might only become popular 4 weeks later but it doesn't matter because it's still there and people can watch it whenever they want and the other series don't matter since it isn't a classical rivalry as we know it from tv.
"Less people watched the first episode than the 1000th iteration of [insert some "classic" movie old people watch for the sake if it]. With streaming plattforms like Netflix and others series just get dumped and are always accesible.
Another reason for why I prefer streams and stuff: TV and quotes are a horror. They often cancelled series after one or two episodes because the quotes didn't live up to what they wanted. Instead of giving a new series some time. It needs time to get a fanbase and people often need weeks to even know about a new series, but nope.
In the end such things are usually screened in ~3 places around the country for a day or two. So if you aren't living nearby or have work to do on that day: good luck.
Sometimes it isn't their fault though, like when there is an anime or some indie guy from my country is making a movie - and nobody wants to show them.
Same here. I really want to give small companies or indie/artists a chance, but it's not always easy.
What baffled me was the British film institute blocking Irish users using their legal streams.
Believe it or not I actually WANT to support.
While I do pirate alot, in cases where an obscure film actually gets a cinema release I make sure to pay to see it at the cinema, I support all the rare anime screenings too.
There is so much stuff I had to pirate or I would have had to relinquish it completely. Even with non-fiction books for my university studies.
lmao. But I 100% agree. Maybe you're lucky if you live in the US but otherwise you are often enough f*ed. Bad marketing.
Point I was trying to make is that, region blocking is only encouraging piracy more.
narf~ couldn't manage to finish that Firework movie, do I miss much? It seems like something that might have a bunch of good ideas for the later part but the first half just bored me and I couldn't get into it for some reason.
Release your damn indie project on a reputable site or at least offer a paypal option and if its something off-colour in content, send the bloody thing digitally and not as a dvd.
Oh look, funimation releases eng dub trailer...think I'll...wat....oh wait this video is not available in your region"
"This video cannot be streamed outside of"
"Sorry we do not deliver to Ireland"
"Sorry this film from less than a decade is out of print"
Yeah, fuck legal streaming, just for that I'm pirating you.
@Mario: Truly you have become the most super of Marios.
Finally pulling those reviews out. Guys, if you're expecting for Hinamatsuri and Masotan posts, the former will be done tomorrow and if I have more time I will do the second one too. Enjoy for now
Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts

Golden Kamuy – 03 [Kamuy Moshir]

We have a sparser episode compared to the one last week, but believe me it’s still a dense episode with many seeds being planted and this week is essentially your Ainu 101 episode. The mangaka does a thoroughly research over Ainu culture, and he’s more than happy to show off here. But apart from the […]

Hisone to Masotan – 02 [I’ll Name the Dragon Masotan]

It’s already 2 episodes in and I still have absolute no idea what HisoMaso’s overarching theme is going to be, which might no be a bad thing given I enjoy the show for what it is so far. HisoMaso’s main concept is quite silly when you think about it. A dragon camouflages as a military […]

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory – 02[Damage Control]

A long awaited return of an old favorite is quite enough to make me smile but this episode makes it clear that this will not be the same happy go lucky FMP of the past. The light hearted shenanigans of the old series are pretty much gone now with Kaname coming to grips with several […]

Darling in the Franxx – 15[Jian]

Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14 and thank god this whole mess was sorted out relatively fast. I was truly prepared for this to drag on for several episodes but looks like they had the sense to cut it short and give the audience what it wants. So we get an animation extravaganza […]

Megalo Box – 3 [Gear Is Dead]

Another week, another good episode of Megalo Box. Its like dose of old school action. This week we get a subversion of the “upgrade” and some evidence of how bad life in the slums really is. Lets jump in! So my first thought after finishing this episode was, wow there are some awesome camera shots […]

Hinamatsuri – 03 [Hobo Life 101]

Hinamatsuri week 3 plays like an extension to Anzu and Hitomi’s stories last week. It’s like two sides of a same coin where you can see these girls grow in a direction you don’t expect (NO innuendo here), albeit at the cost of the central chemistry between Nitta and Hina. Here’s the trick to why […]

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]