Posted by psgels on 10 October 2011 with categories: Mirai Nikki, Some Quick First Impressions

Chibi Devi!

Short Synopsis: Our lead character receives a baby from out of nowhere.
Just… what the hell was that supposed to be? This was… so bad that it became hilarious again. This episode was five minutes long, and it featured some of the worst animation and most wooden characterization of the entire season. The plot where a bullied girl takes care of a devil baby who is literally dropped into her bed (I really do mean literally: there are two hands visible who really drop that thing from out of this random hole in the air) is just ridiculously stupid and the acting may be so stiff and wooden that it becomes hilarious, it’s the kind of hilarious that’s probably going to be fun one episode. Of five minutes.
OP: Those vocals! Make them stop!
Potential: 0%

Mirai Nikki

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has a stalker.
Ooh, I like this one. This one turned out to be an excellent suspense series, with a very creative premise of using diaries that can predict the future. This episode was especially good at portraying the main character, and especially relating in how he slowly realized how badly he has been screwed over; his reactions were just priceless, and it gives this show a whiff of psychological horror that I can really appreciate. This episode was well animated, which is also a plus and for once an episode was fast-paced, without rushing though everything. There was one part where this episode fell down, though: the bad guy of this episode. He was just… there and we really don’t know anything about him. The creators had better try harder for the next characters to run into our main character, because this has potential to become a really fun series. Oh, and finally a series has the balls to have school that doesn’t feature school uniforms. That gives the character designers much more freedom, and it shows: this show really has this unique look without having a particularly different art style.
ED: Clever
Potential: 80%

Mobile Suit Gunam AGE

Short Synopsis: Our lead character pilots a giant robot.
Oh you’ve got to be kidding me. The big selling point of Gundam AGE was that it would show a completely different version of the regular Gundam series. In the end though, all that that amounted to was a new coat. It actually did nothing to remove the most obnoxious parts of the franchise. The male lead still is a teenager who for very convenient reasons ends up piloting a giant robot stronger than all others, he instantly knows how to pilot it, the female lead is completely useless, and there is a lot of angst about how bad war is. Sunrise, for the love of god try something new for a change. Probably the most insulting part is how pathetic the military is: even though they have never been attacked, they’ve only got one capable pilot. On top of that, they allow a twelve year old boy to design new mobile suits for God knows how much money. Really guys: designing and coordinating such a large-scale project isn’t so easy that you can just take off to school at the same time. Oh, and another cliche: everyone is an idiot in order to make the male lead look smart. Throughout the entire episode he is the only one who worries about the incoming invasion. Please Sunrise: you’re mecha series rocked because of how creative they were. This is not the way to do it.
OP: You can see that a lot of budget was put behind this, but it’s just too mainstream to really work. The flying scenes are good, though.
ED: This is pretty decent, though.
Potential: 30%

1. AidanAK47 says:

Psgels, here’s some advice about Mirai Nikki. If you spot a plot hole it’s best to just go with it. Because believe me, it won’t be the last one you see. When one thinks about it logically this series makes no sense whatsoever.
    But the good thing is that the manga is finished. So for once we can get an honest to god ending instead of a life goes on or filler ending.

2. Jellyfish Marine says:

Oh, this is perhaps the first time that my own impression goes quite the opposite way to yours. If I recall correctly, Gundam AGE does not promise to break away through the Gundam franchise through story but rather the audience it targets; children, because they already have a more serious series for teenager and adult this year in form of OVA. I remember that the producer also promises tons of nostalgic elements from the old Gundam series, and in this aspect I think that the first episode executed it quite alright, even the human-like movement of the Gundam really reminded me of the first series. It is also quite interesting that the interaction between characters are western-like to some degree, which I find refreshing too. I will not comment on things like young genius designing his own robot and can suddenly move the giant thing pretty well in the first time /me look at Amuro and Kira… Sure, if you are looking for a very deep story with probable plot then AGE may not be the anime for you.

Anyway, I think that the first episode has a very good pacing, in fact, maybe the best first episode on my current watching list.

3. rufe says:

I mean…school uniforms are still a major part of life in Japan. I had a friend who went to a school that didn’t require uniforms, but students were permitted to wear prescribed uniforms if they wished (and they did).

Honestly I miss the presence of the school hat =P

4. Rintarou says:

Um, psgels, every single complaint you have against Gundam AGE was in the synopsis, and yet you still rated it as highly anticipated. So…why are you all of a sudden buttdevastated here? Also, you want it to do something completely new with the Gundam franchise in…1 episode? Really? You should give it time before tossing it to the way side like you have here, especially considering you ignored every single complaint you had here in the fall preview despite the fact they were clear as day in the synopsis of the series.

5. Juno says:

@Rintarou: I’m not going to speak directly for psgels, but I’m guessing he doesn’t have so much time to be watching every single series this season. And most people who don’t have a lot of time must judge a series on its first episode or two, so the first episodes must make a good impact on the audience. If it fails at that, it doesn’t mean the series is bad, but they sure shouldn’t expect people to continue to watch it…

That being said, psgels… I think you were a bit harsh, pointing out many things that aren’t important in making a respected review. It’s more like you had expectations from the hype, but because those expectations were betrayed, you were frustrated. Those plot points did seem a bit one-layered at first, but I see a lot of room for direction through them. I’m sure you’ll calm down in a few episodes, unless they turn this into something to make all Gundam fans cringe… but that’s for the future.

6. Sho says:

Mirai Nikki sounds interesting. I wonder if the entire soundtrack is as *unique* as the pv’s music.

7. Sho says:

As for Gundam Age…that rpg game based on the show (by Level 5) should be interesting.

8. Jérémy says:

As said before, Mirai Nikki is full of plothole and things that come out of nowhere. The best thing with it is to just ignore them and enjoy the series for what is: a fast-paced thrill-ride XD

9. qwerty1 says:

You can learn a few things about Third in Mirai Nikki if you pick up on a few clues.

I haven’t looked anything up on the original material yet, but I wouldn’t expect to see the teacher any more. Pretty smart using an question on material you hadn’t taught yet to root out people reading the future.

10. Cicero says:

Hurray! You haven’t read the Mirai Nikki Manga.

I’ll be looking forward to your reviews as an example of an unspoiled perspective. So please be careful to avoid spoilers.

11. Frost says:

Mirai Nikki was the best 1st episode this season for me, kept me hooked throughout, but thats to be expected since it involved knowing the future

12. Art says:

The Third diary user didn’t just appear out of thin air;

he was Hiyama, Yukiteru’s teacher- he even has a few lines in this episode as the teacher. Hiyama-sensei found out about Yukki being a diary user due to the latter’s sudden, drastic academic improvement. This will be revealed soon enough (subtly). (confirmed in the manga)

And if you look closely you will notice that machete man and the teacher have the same hair, except he ties it up in teacher mode.

13. Aline says:

Don’t worry about the ‘bad guys’ in Mirai Nikki. This one was really one-dimensional, but I think he mainly served as an example. The other diary users are really interesting and all have a different background and view on their powers. Let’s just hope the series doesn’t follow the last couple of chapters of the manga, which was just one big fest of ass pulls. To about the point where it starts fucking with time it’s good though.

14. vertigo chateau says:

WOW. That was probably the most generic first episode of gundam I’ve ever seen paired with the most terrible character designs. Notice the fat kid and vargas (the old man)? Friggin horrible.

15. Kalandra says:

Blog Mirai Nikki. I think Bakuman season 2 would be better than season 1, but its not blogging material.

16. betawatcher says:

Creepy. I like the atmosphere of Mirai Nikki… (I find it funny that they make the paired-up-with-your-stalker situation more serious. I’d actually be kinda glad somebody was there to protect me, since the stalker hasn’t actually done anything crazy to you yet… except making the other diary owners make you their target.)

But maybe I’ll wait for blu-ray release and a more decent fansub group to pick this up. I already have 5 shows to download.

17. Frost says:

Oh, completely forgot to mention Gundam… Yeah, well I am actually happy its not just a kids version of Gundam because I wouldnt watch that, and I have to say having watching almost every Gundam series, they ALWAYS start out slow and unimpressive…

But I also loled at the character designs… the old guy with emo hair, HAHAHA who thought that was a good idea? Its just abysmal

18. AKI says:

Oooooh, Mirai Nikki did not disappoint! It has the feel of Death Note and Deadman Wonderlan!! Yey! I’ve found my replacement to Steins;Gate!

19. Petit says:

I hope Nikki won’t turn into another Deadman Wonderland

And the green hair for AGE… Ugh, my eyes hurt

20. Watcherzero says:

Sunrise have done some good departures. The MS IGLOO series (no teenage protagonists, no super powerful mechs, no instant skill). The Mobile Suit GunPla (which you have to accept exists to sell kits) but is actually really good. SD Gundam, chibi comedy spinoffs Mk IV’s parody of Wacky Races is amazing!!!

21. Cholisose says:

I really liked the first episode of Mirai Nikki. I’m looking forward to seeing how the main characters are handled, as well as the general tone and direction of the plot. Lots of intriguing concepts already introduced… Pretty excited about this one.

22. Left says:

Is it just me or does it look like Yuno is stroking a white penis…

23. Lloyd says:

Right. I’m back again for Mirai Nikki. I hope you end up blogging for it, but I don’t know how many episodes it will be (guessing at 25). I am hoping to see some serious Xanatos gambits this time round.

24. Joojoobees says:

Chibi Devi: I don’t know why more people aren’t writing about this little gem. I have never seen something quite this ambitious before. What other show attempts to tackle the deeper issues of religion, particularly the nature of evil, in 5 minute chunks. And that OP! Elegant in its simplicity: “baby devil”, once you have said that, do you really need to say anything else?

25. 7godeohs says:

Art: Spoiler tags are there for a reason. The best parts of this story are Yuno Gasai (obviously) and the surprises of how things connect together. I’ve read the manga, but not everyone else has.

26. cheese says:

Just wondering, Mirai Nikki was created under which animation studio?

Customize
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that
Anyone here listen to Dire Straits? I just in the mood for their music lately. Checked out the band playing Telegraph Road live the other day on youtube and I was completely stunned.
@Lenlo: I considered Flip Flappers 3,5,6 to be its best so far so continue on to see if Flip Flappers is your cup of tea or not
For me I have a lot of stuffs to catch up on this time a year, both in terms of anime and in my RL. Time goes fast as hell
Started watching Flip Flappers. Thought I had it figured out, then we got Mad Max going on. I may start liking it more, cause the first 2 eps didnt do much
Its also nearing Thanksgiving in the states and end of semester for University, so those sorts will be busier than usual.
You are far too young to be reminiscing. You can build a place for a community but you can't force one to come. I for one would think it would be easier to form one if people stopped using the Anon tag. You can change your name with the customize button you know.
I remember a time when people other than site admins were regular posters. Those were the days...
But I suppose watching Westworld isn't exactly a waste of time.
Downside is that I really don't have a lot of time these days. It's rather annoying. The day goes by and it doesn't really feel like you did anything.
On the upside, I am nearly finished Legend of the galactic heroes. So when the Remake airs next year I will have a lot to say about it.
Personally I have been rather busy lately and wanted to finish off a few things. Hence why my posts have been getting later.
Anyway when there's nothing on the chat box to talk about then of course it dries up.
You have unfortunate timing.
All the chat regulars have left house as well.
Four days since a single post.
Damn, I don't know if it's the layout/algorithm/mods, but so many subreddits that I used to frequent have gotten watered down as hell. Between the influx of shills and changes to the upvote/downvote system (which doesn't properly convey controversial comments anymore, like 45 upvotes to 47 downvotes. Now it shows only a -2) it's hard to find reasonable debates or find important info
@K-off: and for that book the last time I checked it was $110 for you guys who live US plus free shipping. For us it's $150 not incluing the postage and few weeks delivery.
Damn, I didn't realize that it could be that bad elsewhere. The worst experience I had was when I ordered a laser pointer from Switzerland over a forum, and the cunt didn't respond for nearly 4 weeks until I threatened to refund my $250 on PayPal.
@Mario, Europe. That's the difference.
@Aidan: yeah I got a dispatch notice saying it's shipping now. I ordered it back in September as well so I don't know why the difference between us.
I remember the days where I used to be relying on waiting for anime dvds to come out locally , looking back they were really overpriced, 35 euro for 4 or 5 episodes.
My opinion on FMA alchemist ended up being all over the place because I must have watched 3 episodes every few months of it, then I stopped watching it for a year, got back into it for a few months, abandoned it for months then marathoned 20 episodes in one night to get it finished.
See I've been thinking over FMA lately, if you join up the best episodes of brotherhood and the first adaptation you get the perfect show.
And yet it would make sense to rewatch it. 2005/2006 were the days where I'd never marathon anything. I've seen the whole show obviously but with massive gaps in between.
@Kaiser, HEATHEN. Though I haven't seen the original fullmetal Alchemist in years. Watched it way back when I started anime. Would be good to pay it a revisit with this.
@Mario, you actually got a dispatch notice? Cause mine is still waiting and I ordered back in September. Says it's going to dispatch next week but I have heard horror stories about peoples orders getting canceled due to lack of stock.
And there I am, reminded that I haven't seen the first full metal alchemist since back in 2006.
Mine is shipping already, take about 2 weeks to get here. Can't wait haha
Yep, I ordered that Spice and wolf book too...really hope I get one...

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Flip Flappers 08c

Flip Flappers – 08 [Pure Breaker]

Yay, I’ve reached 100th post here at this site, and if you can probably tell from my still-clumsy writing this is also my first 100 blogging ever. This isn’t much to be completely frank but it’s a milestone for me nonetheless, as there had been a fair amount of commitment for the last 8 months […]

vlSound Eupho 2 - 08

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 08 [Rhapsody in Flu]

This week, the show delivers one of my favorite Eupho moments: as Kumiko and Reina quietly listen to the Euphonium CD, enjoying that little moments when the music is playing with drama or conflict yet to come. This little moment and the firework sequence back in the first episode are Sound Eupho at their best. […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-08-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 08[Sudden Event In Session!]

Blessed be the peacemaker, for she ups the body count. I don’t think it’s a surprise that Winterprison ended up dying while protecting Nana. But it is surprising that she managed to take down one of the twin angels before getting taken out. All the more surprising considering that the angels didn’t get a flashback […]

drifters-07-2

Drifters – 07[Chaos Diver]

Considering this is the first clash the Drifters had with the ends things went rather smoothly. They managed to take one down and send the other one packing. This really is what Drifters is best act, balls to the wall action and insanity. Admittedly I wish the animation is better as it does rely on […]

vlc3-gatsu no Lion 07c

3-gatsu no Lion – 07 [Important Things. Important Matters – Teach Me How to Play Shogi]

Oh, the vitality of youth and first crush! It’s fun to see Hina’s under that crush spell and making a big fuss over Takahashi coming for dinner. As for Takahashi, he climbs up from being “an object of desire” from last few episode to a very straightforward and a bit serious boy now (anyone seen […]

Flip Flappers 07

Flip Flappers – 07 [Pure Component]

And here I thought I know what to expect from this show, yet I would never anticipate a Flip Flappers episode that is a direct continuity to the event of last week. In addition, this episode serves as a nice contrast to last week thematically as well. It only makes sense that after the episode […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373