Posted by psgels on 14 October 2011 with categories: Guilty Crown, Last Exile - Ginyoku no Fam, Some Quick First Impressions, Un-Go

Last Exile – Ginkyou no Fam

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a young genius pilot.
Well, first things first: it’s awesome to see Gonzo back. It’s not just the series they make. It’s because of their balls: they like to take risks like no other studio out there, and that’s why I became a fan of them, even though they did release their fair share of crap. Now, as for this series: it looks just gorgeous. The CG is still up to Gonzo’s high standards and the creators didn’t just copy designs from the first season, but came up with a whole new set of eye candy that certainly does not stand out as inferior to its predecessor. As for the story of this episode: it’s definitely more childish than the first season, and shows a bunch of teenagers being able to disrupt an entire fleet. The first season had this too, but was a lot more subtle about it, especially with the enemy fleet having very stuck-up commanders and deploying no vanships whatsoever to intercept the main cast. There’s also fanservice, though thankfully not as much as was feared. The acting is overall very good, though it does have a number of weak points. The direction is also quite solid, despite the lighter tone. This is a typical example of a first episode with a lot of potential to become amazing, but also with quite a number of things that can hold it back and didn’t work out as well as you’d hope. Yup, that’s Gonzo alright.
OP: The OP of the first season was much better.
ED: A familiar voice. The song is a bit redundant after hearing it in other EDs, but the picture slideshow looks nice.
Potential: 80%

Guilty Crown

Short Synopsis: Our lead character meets a half-naked girl.
That was absolutely gorgeous. The first episode of Guilty crown is a visual feast, in the way that just about every frame is meticulously detailed and well drawn, in the way that only Production IG can do for a television series. If they keep this up, then this will very likely be the prettiest Noitamina series of the year. As for the rest of the episode though: there were a number of issues I had with it. The biggest is that outside of the visuals, I miss creativity: the scenario of this episode had a been there, done that”-feeling, and the main characters are a bunch of walking cliches. On one hand you have the really bland male main character, and on the other hand we have this female who has special powers, is his childhood friend, and gives the male lead a special weapon that he can use to kick ass. There have been way too many shows already with that premise, and the only thing that this show really added to that was its gorgeous visuals. This is a show that needs to grow significantly. But heck: at least the characters are far from as stupid or annoying as they were in Fractale.
OP: Good idea to combine it with the content of the episode.
ED: A bit of a dull ballad with nice art from the promo images.
Potential: 75%

Un-Go

Short Synopsis: Our lead character solves mysteries.
Here is a very interesting one, and I don’t mean that in the way you might expect. At first this episode started off like your average murder mystery series: the protagonists happened to be stuck in a room full of people where someone conveniently got murdered. It was well built up, but strangely mundane. Then however the second half came around and this episode just kept switching moods, themes and atmospheres. This series is attempting to breathe a new wind into the episodic murder mystery genre. This episode had science fiction, horror, and the post-apocalypse all stuffed together. This was the strange case of not the culprit getting some surprise added depth, but the setting itself became a lot more intriguing once this episode started putting the pieces of its puzzle together. On top of that, this episode was well produced and well directed with very natural camera work. The creators definitely took creative liberties on the original work it’s based on, and the episodic set-up really allows them to try a wide variety of different stuff. Oh, and as an added bonus this episode had the best use of music and sounds of the entire season so far. My only warning for when you plan to check it out: the characters. They are not on the list of priorities for this series.
OP: A bit of a dull song, but lots of neat eye candy.
ED: By far the best ED of the seasons. Heck, even the OPs get nowhere as close to the imaginative visuals and music that was displayed here.
Potential: 90%

1. pat says:

If it really kept switching moos, it is a very strange series indeed.

2. psgels psgels says:

Ack, typo. I meant moods, not moos.

3. lialiakicks says:

UN-GO has the best theme songs IMO. School Food Punishment & Llama? UM YES PLZ. Still not really sure where UN-GO is headed, but it definitely looks promising.

As for Guilty Crown, I’ll probably check it out just for the pretty visuals. I hope the story is as good as the art. :/ It always sucks when good animation quality is wasted.

4. DangerMouse says:

Awesome, love detective style shows and given the two primary key staff of the first FMA reuniting, Un-Go was one of my most anticipated shows along with Last Exile, Guilty Crown and P4, good to hear the director and writer with the setting/moods etc. are off to really good start, I have faith this writer will deliver the characters too over time.

Looking forward to checking out Guilty Crown, the visuals look gorgeous and I like the setting and type of story and the character art looks fantastic, only bit I’m worried about is the whole cliche idol chick love interest thing.

5. Cholisose says:

Un-Go was very, very… different… yet familiar. The whole episode, my reaction bounced back and forth between “This looks really interesting!” and “What is this I don’t even.”

The setting is probably what intrigues me the most, but I have no clue what it’s trying to be. Japan has had a war with terrorists of some kind… and people are dressing like it’s Victorian Europe or something (mixed with some random bizarre outfits here and there)… but technology seems more advanced than present-day reality. And the city still looks in ruins at the moment. And there’s some kind of magic going on too, it seems.

6. Tomtom says:

Guilty crown started of so good. Half-way through the episode i was hoping: Please, just for once, let the male lead not have uber magical hidden pixie powers… of well :S. Still the show has potential.

7. synkronized says:

Yeah, Guilty Crown pulled the old – The end of the 1st episode main lead turns out to pwn everything and save the hot waif like female lead who’s the source of his powers trope.

That and the “Boohoo Japan’s a victim of the brutal West” grows pretty damn old real fast. Especially considering the fact that Japan’s been more the perpetrator of brutality than the victim makes me always cringe.

Still, the visuals and music do provide enough of a draw to keep me watching.

8. mario2man says:

Oh yea the girl is not the source of his power just that weapon. He has the guilty crown that allows him to forge weapons and tools from people. And what gets forged depends on the person.

9. m says:

I think Guilty Crown just out-Sunrised Sunrise. For what looks like a dumb action show that was pretty well executed.

10. manlyflower says:

Yeah. Lama? The ED is going to kick ass no doubt.

11. Frost says:

Holy crap you werent kidding, Guilty Crown has movie quality visuals… At this point I dont care if the story is crap or whatever, Ill watch it just for the eyegasm, and I really like the main girl anyway so thats a plus

12. BKskaiserz says:

Something random : Hatsune Miku @5:25

13. Gintoki says:

What? I thought the characters of Un-Go were interesting. While we only get a glimpse of their backgrounds and personalities, the air of mystery that surround the main characters is quite intriguing. I mean, Why is Yuuki seem so straitlaced, even when he’s being called the ‘Defeated Detective’? Who’s that girl at the beginning and how is she related to Yuuki?And most important of all, who or what is Inga? Can’t wait to get these questions answered!

14. Tuuli says:

Both of these seem interesting to me. Hoping they both will be good on the long run.

15. Raggers says:

Loved Un-go. The visuals of Guilty Crown had me gushing.

There was one character you forgot psgels – the kick-ass boss of the super-powered girl, who the lead will no doubt surpass pretty quickly.

16. I believe the person doing the ED to Fam is the same person who did the first season’s ED, maybe that’s why it sounds familiar?

17. Alec says:

Yes, both EDs are sung by the same person: Hitomi Kuroishi.

18. Puran says:

Soooo. After watching Guilty Crown’s first episode I have to say I didn’t like it. Apart from the high production values (I’m not going to say great visuals) I didn’t like anything else… The atmosphere that the director’s works have (and that I enjoy) was gone. The direction in general (apart from the opening, I thought that was well done) was bland. I didn’t get excited in the fights or the transformation sequence. And I didn’t really like the music…

And the story… Well it can still go anywhere, but everything in this first episode felt stereotypical and forced. And after the production values go down in the next episode (which is bound to happen, although production IG is generally known to be more or less consistent), I’m not sure what the series will have going for it.

19. DmonHiro says:

Hey… wasn’t Dio… uhm… dead?

20. Alec says:

@DmonHiro:

No he wasn’t. He even said the words “ascending” when he was with the the guild’s former house member and current Silvana’s chief engineer, Dagobert in the final episode

21. CandiRae says:

Love the visuals for Guilty Crown! Think this is my favorite.

22. Enna says:

I can’t say I really enjoyed Un-Go or Guilty Crown. I’m not entirely sure how I feel about them, but Guilty Crown felt too bland to me and Un-Go felt very rushed.

23. Jellyfish Marine says:

Agree with synkronized, Japan being bullied by other big powers is really getting old… I don’t know how Japanese watchers feel about this but from the perspective of a foreigner, it does not make me sympathize with Japan at all. Don’t get me wrong, there are a bunch of anime and Japanese movie that moved me to tears and left me in awe over Japanese nationalism, but definitely not Guilty Crown and other recent anime shows that involve the similar setting. Let’s see, for this season alone we already have Horizon and Guilty Crown. For Horizon I do understand because Japan is basically the only habitable land left in world, but otherwise what is so good about conquering the country that has to import foods to feed its own people =w=?

Nevertheless, I guess I will still follow Guilty Crown, and may check up on Un-go too

24. c160 says:

Guilty Crown is super pretty but annoying due to its blandness. Still the super high production values are sucking me in like a black hole :P

Un-Go was awesome though. I think this is the first mystery series that had the detective to be so creepy. Definitely THE show for me this season.

25. Kanub says:

Guilty Crown… Stunning visuals. But the end was a huge dissapointment. I already disliked Shining Hearts for their “pull magic pwnass swords outta chicks chest” thing.

For Last Exile. Huge fan of 1st series. Hopefully 2nd will stay in the same track.

26. Petit says:

I hope Last Exile 2 will be another Yukikaze and not another Dragonaut with angsty and childish teenagers.

27. Oroboros says:

Verdict after one episode:
    Guilty Crown is derivative eyecandy, but has potential to go in new directions. Let’s hope the creators learned from their mistakes on Code Geass & Death Note.

Un-Go has far more interesting characters, but its episodic nature will rise or fall pending the over-arching plot. IOW, Dantalian no Shoka failed by not taking its over-arching plot more seriously. OTOH, Gosick failed by taking its over-arching plot too seriously at the expense of everything else.

28. Puran says:

“Let’s hope the creators learned from their mistakes on Code Geass & Death Note.”

Forget learning about mistakes. Guilty Crown doesn’t even have the good qualities of those series. Death Note had an incredible atmosphere. Kurozuka too, but that was a bit more style over substance. From what I can tell from Guilty Crown’s first episode, it so far has neither style nor substance.

I really hope it can win me over in the next few episodes. Because Production IG + SciFi + that director should be something amazing.

29. Tuuli says:

I can’t remember if it was mentioned when or where was Ginkyou no Fam’s events happening?
    It was very, very nice to see Dio again. :) Wonder what will happen to him during this season…he seems to have calmed down somewhat even though he has the scars from last season for sure.

Hopefully this will do good even if it seems a little more lighter toned at the moment. It might not be so at the end.

30. DangerMouse says:

Yeah, based on the way this episode progressed I do not think that the new season of Last Exile will be particularly lighter toned as the progression throughout successfully addressed multiple tones while being slightly brighter but then built up the tension nicely, similar to the first episode of the first series that hinted that things wouldn’t remain small for long, the progression felt really smooth and nicely paced, even a bit faster than the first series. It’ll probably be a tone progression over time like in the first series. :)

ANN’s preview report from back at Anime Expo of the Q&A I believe reported that we are on Earth (I believe Dio’s line at the beginning is also supposed to hint at this too according to some posts I’ve read since I’m still waiting for subs to really understand the dialogue).

Yeah, it was nice seeing Dio starting to recover, he was so “Dio” in the ep, and that sweet little tease of a badass duel in the OP with him fighting one of the enemies was pretty sweet :)

Loved the start and tone of the story that’s already proving once again it’s got a large scale story in mind and the stunning visuals (best of the season IMO), and how quickly I got attached Fam, Giselle, the Sky Pirates plus re-aquainted with Dio. I still love this unique steampunk/scifi world :)

I hope this continues to deliver and does good as well, and continues to keep building a strong atmosphere.

31. DangerMouse says:

Oops, I can’t forget to mention the soundtrack, still as awesome and distinctive as the first series, I love this franchise’s “sound”

Totally agree on the OP hopefully it’ll grow on me since those visuals are so good, though the song that played right after it during the sky pirate mission that sounded like it was at an homage to Shuntaro’s pieces made up for it IMO, and notably another great ED similar to the the first season’s.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • K-Off
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 09:11 PM)
    But I agree with Bam in that the show has lots of moments where it shines, namely in the action and the entertaining character interactions. If I was interested more so in a character story rather than an overall plot, I’m sure I’d like Eva a lot more. Certain shows work really well purely off that principle like Phantasia, but by the time I got to Eva I’d gotten relatively desensitized to those character tropes. Shinji didn’t help much either.
  • K-Off
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 09:07 PM)
    There’s no narrative thrusts throughout the show, it’s just scenes happening to get from one action set piece to the next all the while shoving blatant symbolism in your face. The little plot there is feels incredibly weak, aside from the world building there’s no clear objective besides a vague idea of defeating angels and something about Gendo that’s almost background noise with how little it affects the story.
  • K-Off
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 09:03 PM)
    Having started watching anime only in the mid 2000s despite occasionally seeing them on TV during the 90s, I come from a school of thought that emphasizes coherence more than anything else, basically I want the story to have focus. And while Eva’s influence on character archetypes and animation cannot be argued, I still think the story in Eva is pretty bad.
  • AidanAK47
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 07:56 PM)
    Judging purely visually I agree some leeway must be given due to the technical limitations of the time but all of my issues with the series is not visual related but story.
    I have admitted that I don’t hate Eva and I do like aspects of it. But do you really need me to give it praise? There is plenty giving it praise. I see no reason to join the choir.
  • AidanAK47
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 07:51 PM)
    Now you are just flying off the hook.
    I understand Eva’s cultural significance, and it’s effect on the medium. I just deem it irrelevant when judging the anime itself. For you see dear boy, if you are going to place EVA above modern anime then you must judge it by modern standards. If it falls short you can’t just bring up historic significance to wave away it’s problems.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 05:46 PM)
    I praised Fate/Zero for its story, pacing and charismatic protagonist. UBW I agreed to its superb battle animation and overall quality of first cour. Now when someone watches EoE or Eva Rebuild 2.2 and comments on nothing of quality, then who is the biased one here really?
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 05:34 PM)
    If anything at least call Shinji a shitty annoying character- cuz even I won’t deny that.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 05:25 PM)
    When I mean discussion I don’t mean a series of personal likes and dislikes- but judging objective elements: plot consistency, animation quality, restrain in fan-service and pandering, over reliance on tropes and cliches, etc. Otherwise we all have our different preferences.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 05:20 PM)
    I agree with the cons of Eva, as well as its strengths. Same with Fate. Being pessimistic is a stance, not inherently a flaw. The setting of Eva predicates that tone. If anything I have a bias towards Berserk, and that’s mostly all out of nostalgia.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Jun 26. 2016 05:16 PM)
    Also what ladies? Even the “gentlemen” part is stretching it. It’s very easy for someone who didn’t follow anime 20 years ago to criticize one of its most historic moments. At least this Tenka Seiha fella doesn’t talk smack about what he doesn’t really understand.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Bungou Stray Dogs 12c

Bungou Stray Dogs – 12 (end)

And we get to the end of Bungou Stray Dogs, but this last episode doesn’t offer any conclusive ending, instead feel more like a set up episode for the next season. This last episode functions like a typically Bungou Stray Dogs’ episode; there are many good things to say about it, mainly the technical triumphs […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

When experiencing the wave of new anime each season it can get rather tiresome to notice all the teenagers fighting supernatural forces while gathering a harem through seer luck or similarly tired concepts. So when something like Joker game comes along and takes a road less traveled with it’s story, naturally I am well on […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 10

After the Horobi’s laser light show and having Biba-sama completely dominate the narrative with his super cool looking henchmen, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri is back on track although it’s on different rails for here on out. Imprisoned by the Hunters and being caught in the middle of the impending final conflict between the Shogun and Biba, […]

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

Mayoiga has to be one of the most misunderstood shows in recent years. On a surface, the premise alone has a lot of potential. The idea behind putting 30 people, each of them has very different set of personalities, together in a bus to a mysterious lost village, in order to start over new life […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game – 12

Upon finishing yet another rather uneventful episode of Joker Game, I began to wonder just what this series had planned for its finale. “How best to top off a rather mediocre series such as this?” I thought to myself. However when looking over general consensus over the episode I found out that I seen the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 12 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 12

This looks to be the weakest episode of Re:Zero to date which does seem to be a trend when it comes to the arcs of the series. When looking over these twelve episodes I have come to find that the weakest episodes of the series are the first episode of an arc which does make […]

Mayoiga 12d

Mayoiga – 12 (end)

Mayoiga pretty much wraps up its story this week and for the series that focus much about anti-climaxes and inconsistency, this ending neatly conclude all of its main loose end. In the final twist of Mayoiga, it turns out that Koharun is God’s daughter (now I understand the inclusion of him in Mayoiga) and all […]

Kiznaiver - 11 3

Kiznaiver – 11

I believe I finally figured out something much like Agata of this episode did. Over the course of watching Kiznaiver something in the back of my mind bugged me about it. It was something I couldn’t quite put my finger on but after watching this episode I believe it’s finally hit me. I now know […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 11d

Bungou Stray Dogs – 11

Bungou Stray Dogs strays to another side stories this week, it’s pretty much set up for the second cour, and in that aspect this week is a success one, both gives us a new light to existing characters and makes quite a bit of impression on our new characters. I kind of appreciate how the […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

akTwkhF

Stella Glow Game Review-60/100

I really should be getting Grand Kingdom or waiting for Mirage Sessions. My review of Stella Glow is way past relevancy being nearly 8 months late, but I finally completed this and it wouldn’t hurt to briefly wrap up my thoughts about the game created by the now-defunct Imageepoch. I somehow managed to get through Lord of […]

rs33

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Game Review – 87/100

Oh my. This game was just utterly, utterly incredible when it came out, so despite disliking the usual remasters (ahem, Valkyria Chronicles), I was pretty stoked when I learned I’d be able to play this again on better hardware. It came out really late into the PS2’s lifetime in 2007, so at the time, I […]

romance of 3 kingdoms

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 4: Chinese Traditional Animated shows

Welcome to the last part of our Chinese animated guide. This part will cover Chinese traditional art style, for me personally this is the most enjoyable group. The first thing you might notice in these shows are they were in different format ratio, lean more towards the Academy ratio format. I always find their traditional art […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]

Nüwa’s Growth Diary

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 2: Chinese Anime shows

As much as I hated the term Chinese Anime (Anime stands for Japanese animation, strictly speaking), this is the exact term for those shows. Their influence from the Anime was so heavy that apart from the voice cast and some scene settings, you can’t tell those apart from the original anime. With that said, judge from […]