Posted by psgels on 20 October 2011 with categories: Guilty Crown

This show is gorgeous, it’s directed by Tetsurou Araki (the director of Death Note and Kurozuka) and animated by Production IG. It’s bound to be action packed, and for those reasons I’m going to blog it. I don’t have any expectations for this beyond mere eye candy, though.

Here’s the thing: we’re in the middle of a very creative season, with continuations of shows with incredibly rich and imaginative settings (Last Exile, Hunter X Hunter, Fate/Zero), new series with really creative premises and purposes (Ben-To, Un-Go, Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki and even Phi Brain). And here this show comes with its superpowered teenagers, bland boy meets mysterious girl, stereotypically sadistic villains… and that’s pretty much it. Beyond the fact that it can shoot a good action scene and that this show looks amazing when it wants to, it just doesn’t have anything that sets it apart.

What I’m really afraid of is that this never really gets fixed. My big problem here is that this thing is written by the same guy who wrote Mai Otome and Macross Frontier (ignoring for a moment that he also came up with Seiko no Qwaser). Thankfully these first two episodes were not as bad as Mai Otome: this show is unremarkable, not bad, obnoxious and stupid. However, I’m more and more beginning to see this as the spiritual successor of Macross Frontier, but without the idols. It too looked pretty, but had a very weak story and bland characters, who never really seemed to know where they were going.

I was hoping for this episode to prove me wrong, but instead this was even more generic, due to the lack of quiet moments. First of all there are the usual questions: why do both the military and the rebels, despite having plenty of adults, depend on teenagers to pilot their mechas? If you have a reason for it: then that’s fine, but don’t just put some cute girls in mecha suits just for the sake of fanservice.

Also, the blond kid. Whose idea was that; seriously? This guy is the only actually bad character in this series so far. In every single scene, he’s portrayed as a psycho with a temper, even when there’s no reason for him to be so. I mean, the bomb girl in Mirai Nikki was psycho for a reason: she was risking her life in the middle of a truckload of explosives that she set up herself. This guy instead is like “muhahaha, I’m evil; bump into me and I’ll kill you!”

What’s more is that this show is too busy portraying its bad guys as assholes, rather than actually make compelling villains. The point where they killed those random civilians (who strangely were never mentioned again after their death; not even people mourning about them). What’s also bugging me is the existence of the female lead: why is she in this show, really? All she’s done so far is give powers to the male lead (which, according to what people are saying, can be done by everyone else as well). Oh, and appear in his school. Why was there a need to show that in the most cliched way possible?

However, what has also really bugged me so far: I’m seeing very little of Tetsurou Araki’s distinctive style here. I’m a fan of Death Note, Kurozuka and also that one story he did for Aoi Bungaku: the atmosphere and direction there were rock-solid, but they were nothing like what was shown here. This show needs to grow. Get rid of that psycho blonde and focus more on the characters without wasting time on pointless side stories or making the action too repetitive.
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. kivos says:

Haha fuck this stupid ass blog. No wonder no one comes here. Guilty crown shits all over un-go

2. Scruffy says:

I have to agree with you here. It’s very pretty and I absolutely love the soundtrack, but apart from that it’s just a random mecca show. This does not seem like a noitaminA show at all. To make matters worse it looks like from now on it is going to be set in the school.

3. mario2man says:

It kind of makes sense to be set in school to me. To get more and new weapons/tools he has to befriend more people.

4. Cytl says:

The MC powers makes me remember the Persona 3 game (relationships up = power up). Actually, If I remember right this anime is going to have a Visual Novel adaptation (maybe the setting will be more interesting to play than to watch).

5. KrazyKobun says:

I just think it’s really fun. Sure its cliched, but its entertaining. You can do much worse than this anime.

6. Firechick says:

@Kivos: if you don’t like it here, then leave. Nobody wants to hear you bully Psgels. And on the contrary, people DO come here. You’re just blind.

7. kivos says:

OK fine maybe I was a little to harsh and I apologize.

However what pisses me off is the way he went into the series expecting everything to be reveled in the first 2 episodes. Why do people do this? Or why do people do that? Well it doesn’t explain so I am going to get mad and bash the show. See that’s fucking stupid. If you even bothered to watch the previews for the anime you would have know that the first few episodes were going to be action packed. So getting pissed because of to much action is beyond ignorant. But hell at least we are getting action which is something I can’t say for f/z. 3 episodes in and not a damn thing has happened. The action, animation and use of music alone should have at least made this episode considered “good”, just because the story so far is a little bland doesn’t instantly make it disappointing especially when you consider this episode was just about the action anyway. Also you didn’t even mention anything about the OP. Why?

8. wakka9ca says:

@kivos: F/Z >>> Guilty Crown by far. There is something called “character development and richness” that is totally lacking in Guilty Crown right now. No charm whatsoever with any of the characters. This is far from the case of F/Z where nearly every character is fleshed out. Action is not what we are looking for in a long series like this. Likeable characters and intriguing plot development is more important than senseless action.

9. Hogart says:

GC feels like it’s taking the easy way out of everything. That really kills it for me, regardless of how lovely it looks. It’s tough to get into a show when it feels like I’ve seen it already.

Times like this I’m glad I don’t mind watching older anime.. it’s kinda interesting to compare two shallow shows from different eras then suffer through them one at a time.

10. Firechick says:

Maybe Guilty Crown wasted all of its budget on the animation and not the story and characters!

11. Hogart says:

@Kivos: ok, now I’m curious..

>he went into the series expecting everything to be reveled in the first 2 episodes

Where did psgels mention wanting everything to be revealed already? He alludes to wishing the heroine had more of a purpose, I guess?

>getting pissed because of to much action is beyond ignorant.

Getting pissed because psgels isn’t saying what you want him to say is.. well, you can figure out the rest.

Is it so difficult to just nod your head and say “Ok, that’s your opinion, and this is why I disagree..”?

I’ve gone on some tirades myself, but does Guilty Crown really deserve being defended this much?

12. Raggers says:

I have to say this:
    psgels has his own opinion that he shares with us, for free. Considering the vast number of anime he has watched, i think we can all agree he has a pretty good opinion. and it also makes me look at anime differently. I’ve not always agreed, but then whats the point of visiting a blog if you do?

and also, i have to thank psgels. I had almost given up on finding good anime when i came across this blog. Now i have no shortage of anime to enjoy, and i always read the blog after watching an episode.

if you want to hate psgels, please keep it to yourself. someone is giving up their time to share their love of anime with us. You are not being forced to accept it, or even read it for that matter. IMHO this is the best blog i have found, which truly takes a critical view and blogs episodes.

After that, i will get back to this episode. I liked it personally, not the best but still has potential, especially since it has 22 episodes. However, i think it may end up being open ended (like 07-Ghost) or have a rushed ending which pulls massive things from nowhere (No.6). If it can come up with a solid ending though, well built up, this could be a good series.

13. Hogart says:

@Kivos: after reading psgel’s Un-Go episode 2 post, I can see where you’d get the impression that he was hoping for more to be revealed (though I wouldn’t have read it that way at all if you hadn’t pointed it out).

14. c160 says:

Supporting psgels, I think this episode is really bland. Nothing too bad or offensive yet, but still bland. I can almost predict how the characters act and what they will say since I’ve seen the same scenario over and over again before.

The characters might have really deep background story that will be revealed much later on or maybe in the next episode, but the way that things are now, even I won’t have the patience to wait for it. The way things are now,it’s really just a typical coming of age anime. Sure the visuals are reaaaaaaaaalllllllyyyy pretty, but the way I see it, it’s the same scenes from those other bland animes, but just really pretty.

15. nandab says:

Just posting to say the same thing that happened to Raggers happened to me. I was feeling everything was too cliched and couldn’t find blogs dedicated to more serious anime (something other than naruto, bleach, harem/moe shows, etc) that just didn’t get any attention. Now, since my tastes are very much like psgel’s I always come to this blog to decide which anime to watch. I like the posts (they always make me look differently at anime) and many anime I have come to know because of psgels’s reviews. So, psgels, thanks! And keep up the good work!

16. Frost says:

Wasnt expecting anything from this other than the visuals so theres no disappointment to be found… Its pretty much like watching Avatar, you just dont watch it for the story/characters

And the transfer student cliche at the end… /facepalm good thing I really like Inori, I love her character design and personality seems to be my type anyway, so I can overlook this

Kinda weird they went with something like this for Noitamina though… It usually has the less mainstream/mature animes

17. AidanAK47 says:

Listen to wakka9ca, Kivos. True that Fate/zero hasn’t had much action in the past few episodes however the build up is pretty much done now and by god the stuff coming in the next few episodes makes this look like nothing. Besides action is the pay-off. It’s best done when the characters fighting are people who you can give a damn about.

18. Souther says:

Psgels does make some great comments, reviews and recommendations…but he also makes some questionable or plain wrong statements from time to time, so let’s try not to get all the praise get to his head. I don’t think he needs it. He’s a cool guy, but not perfect.

As for this show, I would say it’s an action series, first and foremost, and it’s definitely not trying to compete with Fate/Zero on any level.

Fate/Zero is a “closed” story based on a Holy Grail War that ended in a certain way. The novels were written already knowing how everything was going to end. The writer simply had the freedom to give the characters enough development and detail to fit in with what the F/SN timeline demanded.

Guilty Crown isn’t based on a game or novel, for one thing, so it lacks that wider context, and it’s paced completely differently, for another. The first two episodes have been focused on action and left expanded on everything else for later.

We barely know anything about these characters, not to mention their world, beyong the very superficial basics. That said, I’ll admit the content has mostly been stereotypical, but I don’t think this is a good sign of how the entire show is going to work.

I think it will become more interesting in time, provided you don’t come in expecting it to be something out of this world. If that is the case, then I’d expect to see psgels go back and retroctively take off points from almost every anime involving teenagers in situations beyong their regular existence. That kind of argument doesn’t really convince me.

19. Souther says:

At the same time, I’ll admit that this show wouldn’t be nearly as hyped or as popular as it is without all the celebrities and Production I.G.

20. Snowolf says:

I do agree with kivos, surprisingly, a little bit. I will say that psgels is being a little harsh and is asking for too much- it’s only been two episodes, so things like why a ‘teenage girl’ is piloting a mecha- I mean, why not? Why can’t it be teens? That sort of aspect is going to be answered later, I assume. And teens aren’t the only ones piloting the mechas- the first two in the first episode were piloted by adults. I will admit that the blonde dude was a total generic asshole, but once again- give it time. It’s way too early to condemn any sort of aspect on this show. I could understand if the show was regressing in terms of development- a lack of development may be criticized of course, but I don’t see that as something so detrimental to a show that has 22 more episodes to flesh things out. If we were on episode 7 and this was the episode format, then yes, I would be complaining, but heck, it’s only episode 2! Give it a little space. :)

That said, I completely agree that (ironically) this show is a guilty pleasure- I’m mainly watching it for the stunning animation and the excellent soundtrack/background music. Nothing has been fleshed out as of yet, but hopefully things will change soon enough, as we find out more about the characters and the power that Shu holds. So far I still can’t seem to hate either Shu or Inori despite them being extremely typical- they seem to hold something that makes them different. Inori’s silent strong will is something I see potential in, but if she truly is reduced to nothing but an object for passive-agressive male dominance, then yeah, I’ll be angered. Hopefully Shu will grow a set, but I do see reasons behind his whininess, and luckily, he’s not even annoying, so. I’m really interested in the wheelchair girl, and not interested in the subtle shots of fanservice. It’s a mix, to be honest. But to conclude: it’s only been two episodes, UN GO has yet to actually maintain a consistent narrative as well as flesh out its main cast, and that has 11 episodes, so. We’ll see. That’s all I can say for right now.

21. Gottis says:

I have to say I’m impressed with anyone making it past the first 10 minutes of this show. I know I didn’t. We have this omg!cute (I’m guessing?) chick running around, in need to be rescued. And this guy who looks like ‘ugh, I’m bored’. Well, No6 did it before and they did it better. >.> (No chick needing to be rescued for one thing, and Shion being more likable than what’s-his-name from the very first episode.) … That said, I still can’t forgive No6 for that final episode, but that’s another story entirely. (And before anyone asks, yes, I’m yaoi fangirl. Yes, I’m a fan of strong female leads. Yes, I’ve watched anime for 25+ years now. I’m no newbie.)

22. AidanAK47 says:

@Gottis, please don’t kick up another feminism argument.

23. VyseLegend says:

I think psgels is spot in about almost everything. The show is nice eye candy, but theres completely ludicrous moe fanservice, unexplained character powers and so far the main female lead has no real raison d’etre at all. Not to mention none of the characters has a genuine personality as of yet.

24. Enna says:

What is with people talking about feminism lately? Like, this past month or so I’ll see the topic brought up in the shoutbox every now and then. I usually don’t mind the topic itself, but it’s getting really annoying seeing people argue/debate about/even mention it at this point. Can we please just drop it?

But moving on. In regards to this episode, I have to agree with psgels. I still don’t think I can truly get into it. I tried, but it feels like a chore. The male lead doesn’t have much that makes him stand out, or any of the other characters for that matter. The small bits of fanservice annoyed me. The plot so far doesn’t feel fresh, engaging, anything. I’ll give it one thing, though, the visuals are pretty–but not enough to keep me watching.

25. Denizen says:

The way I see it there is room for improvement, but little chance.
    All the tools for something great are there, they just won’t be used.

In regards to the dead people, I assumed Pink-hair girl was singing for them, what with the Funeral Parlor’s mention of remembering the dead, but eh.

This show has got the art and concept down perfectly so it would be a shame to see it get bogged down under the same failures of bad writing and undeveloping characters.

26. fathomlessblue says:

I can think of two reasons why the female lead is in the show…

27. AKI says:

Ah, Production IG, you were great once, stunning visuals and all. Remember World Destruction and Eden of the East?

28. Addictd says:

I already have speculations for what this show is going to turn into…and damn, if I’m right, it’ll be good. But that’s just hoping since it IS a noitamina show…

29. Kim says:

Inori showing up at Shuu’s school was actually the best part of the whole episode….why?

Because it was the first time I don’t have her boobs and butt flashed at me every second.

30. kazid33 says:

I am whit psgels in this show, I give five or six more episodes to see if this show deserves something. Also this season have a lot of very good series, Personally I like Fate-Zero, Persona 4, Hunter X, Mirai N, Bento and Chihaja But i want to give this show an oportunity. Also I am whatching Idolmaster, I dont know why … yet, jeje.

31. Interstella5555 says:

@kivos lol nobody visits this blog huh look at all the responses to you. Nobody is forcing to his opionion if you can stand the heat GTFO.

32. synkronized says:

Well, at least Kivos really fired up all of folks that visit this sight.

I agree with psgels. The series animation is very beautiful but the story and characters blow. They’re 1 dimensional, cliched characters. The leader of Morgue Autopsy, or w/e the resistance group’s named, has the tired persona of Light and Lelouche. This makes his foresight/strategic abilities near perfect and kills any dramatic tension. Is it really that hard to portray leaders like Game of Thrones or Battlestar where brilliant tacticians fuck up and show how good they are by improvising and making the most of a bad situation?

On a side note I get really sick of Japan and US series where they always play the victim. For Japan it is the US, for the US they fantasize and wank off to Soviets invading our shores.

33. Flawfinder says:

Well, I’ve heard rumors that the next few episodes will focus on character development, so maybe I’ll actually give a crap about them. If this show turns out to be like Cameron’s Avatar, I’m going to be disappointed. I didn’t hate this episode, but it was not very good, plus the ending was painful.

34. Jellyfish Marine says:

@Gottis Oh mine, I can’t see Inori as a damsel in stress at all. Considered what she had been through before the fight broke out, it would have been so unrealistic if she could still fend herself.

I agree with most of the comments here; characters and story are pretty generic to the point that it is not hard to predict the future major event or plot twists. On the other hand the visual and delivering are real good (at least for me). Also, usually I really hate anything fanservice, but I have to admit that this show does it so well that kinda made me went dokidoki and flustered >///

35. gracie says:

i usually don’t criticize new shows too much, but MAN, this show felt /really/ uninspired. a few years back my sister and i created an anime plot called “the most stereotypical anime ever,” where we made up a show with the most cliched stereotypes we could think of, down to the engrish name (“it has to be something in english, but make no semantic sense!”). fast forward a few years and apparently someone has stolen our ideas and made guilty crown. i made my sister watch it, and we both cracked up over how it followed almost every animation cliche to a t. oh well. i would actually watch it for the pretty eye candy, but the main heroine annoys the crap out of me. :

36. Dr. Pest says:

Hm. I like Guilty Crown far more than Un-Go. The story itself isn’t something worth to be mentioned, but imo it’s pretty entertaining. Even TTGL (one of my top 5) was great because of the emotions and entertainment, not because of the story. With Un-Go it’s, for me, somehow reversed. The stories are ok but it didn’t amuse me so far. But I have to mention that I also don’t really like episodic series (besides 2-3 – Mushishi for example – so far).

37. totoum says:

I think poor psgels is suffering from post sacred seven trauma syndrome.

I actualy find GC’s first two episodes much better than SS’s so I fail to see why psgels is so down on GC while he was optimistic about SS (in the beginning)
    I also fail to see what’s creative about phi brain,yes it uses puzles,that’s it the rest is pretty darn standard (including the vilains)

I actualy was surprised by the ending,I fully expected Shu to shake Gai’s hand,everything had been build up for it,yet he didn’t.

38. Souther says:

@synkronized:

Consider that there are many stories where the U.S. is either the hero or the victim, so why can’t Japan do the same from time to time?

As for Gai being exactly like Light or Lelouch, I don’t think that’s fair. Light was crazier and had a god complex, for one thing, and Lelouch showed more emotion.

In fact, both of them screwed things up from time to time, so they aren’t “perfect” strategists like your description goes. Gai seems perfect now, I agree that’s a bit boring, but I imagine he won’t be like that the whole show.

39. Suzushina Yuriko says:

wall of text incoming

Yeah, surprisingly, I also agree with kivos just a little. It’s episode 2 – why are you questioning the existence of the female lead and complaining about the blond kid when the show’s barely even started? If you’re complaining about lack of character development, then at least wait until maybe the show is half over before doing so. As it is, your opinion is a little unfair.

I saw this kind of comment over at Mirai Nikki episode 2 too, when you said Minene was portrayed as a psycho bomber and not much more. She was just introduced – do you really want her story to be crammed into the episode the minute she appears?

About the blonde kid – is it really so hard to accept that there are completely corrupt and spoiled people in this world who like causing people pain for no reason? He seems to go berserk only when people try to touch him as well, so that could be important for later. Like with Minene, he was just introduced – give him some more time before judging him.

It appears your judgment of show is mainly based on how original it is and you appear to dislike common anime tropes. Like Divine at RandomC said:

“I realize some people feel very strongly about originality and perceive it as a fundamental flaw if a premise doesn’t offer anything new, but I fall into the group that likes to look at every new show individually to see what it has to offer with its own version of an existing idea. After all, “original” is all relative. If we were to shun every new show because it features something that’s been done before, we would never have another show with robots, zombies, and whatnot, which may be fine for those who have seen their fill, but would completely neglect those who are just getting into them (i.e. younger generations). They’re classified as tropes for a reason, which is somewhat akin to genres except at a sub-series level.”

Although I do agree a little with kivos, I do not agree with how he said it. Insulting someone else’s site and opinion is very rude, and I especially dislike that little comment on fate/zero since it’s probably my favorite show airing asides from Mawaru Penguindrum. Guilty Crown and fate/zero are two entirely separate stories with different genres and plot presentations. Comparing them is kind of pointless.

40. Triple_R says:

Honestly, I agree with kivos more than I do pgsels or wakka9ca, when it comes to Guilty Crown and Fate/Zero. Kivos admittedly could have been less blunt in his first post, but he did apologize and I can understand why he’s peeved.

Given the insane praise that Fate/Zero is getting give that it’s first episode was basically a double-sized exposition dump, and given the hate Guilty Crown is getting in spite of two visually GLORIOUS episodes, I have to wonder if some people here are allergic to good action scenes.

It is perfectly 100% legitimate to watch shows primarily for the action. That is the main reason I started watching Guilty Crown and Fate/Zero, because I wanted to see the anime equivalent to a fun, action blockbuster Hollywood movie feel.

4 Episodes worth of content in, and so far Fate/Zero has shown no real action aside from Gilgamesh curbstomping an Assassin. It was a nice scene, but it’s not much.

2 episodes in, and Guilty Crown is delivering great action scenes in flying colors.

As pgsels himself alluded to, there’s been plenty of intellectually deep anime this year with unusual premises and casts… so what’s wrong with having something that’s a simply stupendous sexy action-packed thrill ride that you can enjoy on the level of pure spectacle? Variety is the spice of life, is it not?

Pgsels rating this episode “Disappointing” is frankly ridiculous. The artistic/animation quality of this episode alone deserves better than that.

It does a real disservice to the considerable effort that Production I.G.’s animators obviously put behind this episode to judge it “disappointing”.

41. Arisu says:

I watched the first episode, thought it’s one of the most uninspired, boring shows I’ve watched this year. Granted, I only watched new series that gets a high review on anime blogs I trust like this one. Anyway, I don’t feel any urge to give this one a chance after it received such a low review. I might give this another chance if it receives a much higher rating after the whole series airs. But I’ve got a feeling this will turn out like Fractale.

Plenty of older and current shows to watch in the meantime.

42. wakka9ca says:

@Triple_R: well the reason each watch anime is different so it’s understandable. In fact, the reason for an individual actually change (some days I just need a good action series or a good comedy series too). For instance, Karas had Hollywood-style action, but the plot is a bit shaky… Same thing for the Appleseed movies.

“because I wanted to see the anime equivalent to a fun, action blockbuster Hollywood movie feel”

If you ever try to watch LoGH, GiTS:SAC or Natsume Yuujinchou don’t do it with that mentality. Needless to say, some people here are allergic to Hollywood action films too. Then again, to everyone his or her taste…

Guilty Crown right now is very nice action… indeed that cannot be denied. Also, it’s the 2/22 episode so it’s too early to decide. However, people do display a certain disappointment after the interesting premise and settings.

43. Puran says:

So… This was again generic… And yeah I’ll agree with everyone else that is (wishfully) thinking that the story may get more interesting and explained later. And I can also somehow try and forgive all the bad things in this episode… I could also pretend to ignore the yellow haired crazy bad guy (hey I just summed up his personality perfectly!) and pretend to believe that they are going to give him a believable background at some point.

I could also not mind the needless and out of place fanservice.

But the end was the last drop. A school setting and a transfer student?… Come… ON…

And to those that say be patient, it might get better, things will be explained/developed : Here is the thing. This series so far is BAD at hinting and foreshadowing things. It completely fails to intrigue, it actually seems it’s not even trying to. It’s “here is this guy, he is evil, now let’s move on” “There is some war, about a virus, now let’s move on”.

Other series do it right. They introduce stuff (characters/plot devices) that may seem stereotypical, but they somehow hint/promise that things will get more interesting. They often fail to actually do that, but the promise keeps me watching.

44. Breelik says:

its cool to me. i am sure it wont be as bad as naruto shipuden is now. i mean rrly wasting 30 episodes on stupid side stories. its okay for them to throw a side story in occasionally but not 30 episodes strait.

45. Anon-chan says:

I agree with you that the second episode is totally bad, I could not even stand watching it for more than 10 minutes without fast forwarding, the blond guy is weird as well, but if in the next episode the creator decided to get rid of him (i.e. bomb/suicide etc that is quick) it would be totally weird…I mean after he appears so many time and he died in an episode…ugh…

46. nexus says:

Ok this is high budget, fighting shonen. Epic visuals, poser characters etc.

If you like the genre, and you also like action based plots.

YOU WILL LIKE GUILTY CROWN,

Also the plot, characters, setting is CLICHE AS HELL.

But….

this is better, than your average shonen.

the Plot in shonen genre is not as important as other factors (some purist will eat me)

for a good plot, go watch legend of the galactic heroes. You will feel less mainstream.

I MEAN I ENJOYED CODE GEASS, IT WAS FUN and flamboyant. STILL IT WAS A SENSELESS TRAINWRECK. but an epic finale was worth it

@Mario, so it's still at it. To me it's like someone was given an interesting story and made it his mission to ruin it as much as possible.
@Aidan: it's still the same crap. I have a feeling that Sagrada Reset gives a middle finger to us viewers. The plot with development and characters that we have no way to figure out ourselves. The characters who change motive and even personality after each timeline. The main lead girl who act like a robot. I gave this show too many chance so I won't bother to spend more time watching it.
Eromanga sensei
@Mario, Oh ho, what was the dealbreaker? Just that it didn't change or did something really stupid happen?
Sagrada Reset (long sigh) (scratching my head) (eyes rolling). Dropped
Hey you.
Konstantinos
Yeah, at this point, this season looks good.
Quite happy with ID-0 and Zero in particular. Zero charms me to no end that I'm still debating whether I should blog it. The trio Re:Creators, Kado, Atom still doing pretty well and the sequels MHA and Bahamut are enjoyable as expected. We have a wide range of anime offerings this season.
Sagrada Reset & SukaSuka I will give it another episode, at least until this current arcs over. They both have potential but Sagrada Reset tries so hard to sound smart, and SukaSuka still falls into its LN tropes which bugged the show down.
*no real urge
I've finally catch up with all other series I wanna follow this season. Alice & Zorouku will be off my list for now, Zorouko is a great character but everything else falls flat so far. I have real urge to continue Attack on Titan and Berserk so I'll wait until they're finished.
I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol
Like dramatically
It really is much better
You know guys its not too late to start watching Berserk Season 2...
I just get annoyed when interaction is like "HUMAN, YOUR EMOTION RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT. I THEORIZE THIS IS THE REASON YOUR EMOTIONAL RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT."
Their is a definite layer of pretentiousness in how it's written, seeing how nobody gets annoyed when every character tries to psychological profile them.
@Mario, I have heard word that these two episodes were a prologue story and the real story is going to kick into gear next episode. But if the characters keep talking like this then it's not going to matter what happens. It will just be terrible.
@Anon, Jojo part 5 died for this. That makes it all the sadder. Plus it's two cour so this show is gonna be on for half a year.
Being said all that I will follow it for 1 more episode
And then that girl who passed away because of the reset. I feel my emotions drying up at that point. Tasteless. Heartless
Wanna say the same thing regarding Sagrada Reset as well. I have the feeling the show tries to sound smart that ultimately if I hear someone talks like this in real life, I would go punch his face. Manipulating the social worker by slitting your own wrist? WHAT? Asking a girl about her rules, then whenever she answers you give your own warped opinions on it to sound like you know it all? WHAT
@Aidan: Lol, Sagrada reminds me of how I used to write. Pretentious, overly complex dialogue that nobody would use in real life unless they were trying too hard. It grits on my ears so much that I don't think I can keep watching it, especially because this is probably how it's going to be for the whole series.
@Amagi: I feel your pain. I used to enjoy those types of shows, but I've found more and more since getting out of high school that they just make me want to take a nap. It doesn't help that they're everywhere. X.D
God Sagrada Reset is frustrating. So many good ideas, all absolutely ruined by the dialogue and characters. If you just changed the dialogue a bit and made the characters emote more then this would be so very interesting. But they manage to drain the life out of the story.
@Amagi, in most cases you can easily write off the ones not worth your time based on the summery. Occasional those kinds of show can turn out to be worth watching but it just doesn't happen often enough.
Nothing against those types of anime in general, but it's just not aimed at me I guess. - I also should specify: school (semi)harem, not school alone. I enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei.
I really love this season but I should stop testing the school- and shoujo stuff. It's almost never worth the time and it always bores me so much that I have to stop watching anime for a few hours.
@Travlos: Why does a hobbyist artist care when someone critiques their art or a fanfic writer care about reader feedback? When you do something you enjoy, it's normal to want to improve and other people's opinions are important for that.
@Travlos: because 1) We still need to listen to what readers say to improve and 2) we're debating more about rating system, which I also feel the need of upgrading. btw, any shows that catch your interests so far this season?
Konstantinos Travlos
Why do you guys care about what someone thinks about your reviews? You are doing a good enough thing as is, and t is a hobby. Do your thing and do not lose time on this.
I think I'm just gonna follow sukasuka and re:creators this season. Seem to of shown the most potential universally.
Soy and almond milk are also available as alternatives for the lactose intolerant.
From the manga it seems like it would translate well into an anime with the right production values so I think I'm going to try it. I was mostly concerned that they'd push the melodrama even more through the roof, haha. I did see some of the reviews on it here and they made me hopeful that it was fairly well-executed.And of course the milk can be chocolate. Just not vanilla, vanilla milk is yuck i
Its certainly making me happy I waited until the end of the season to binge it.
I'd have the milk as well... Need more milk to my life.
Hope Scum's Wish entertains you, Lenlo. ^^
I will say the sound design has been great for Scums Wish though I have not read the manga to see how it matches up
I dont think "enjoyed" is the right word for this kind of show, but I do know im going to finish it.

Also, can the milk be chocolate?
@Lenlo: That's true, but I also feel like everyone here needs some milk. And I've been reading the Scum's Wish manga and can't decide if it'll be worth it to watch the anime.

Sakura Quest – 04 [The Lone Alchemist]

Hmm, I don’t really like the direction Sakura Quest is going for. To be more precise, this episode brings up some questionable variables that I don’t think blended well with the show. The actual story for this week though, is still enjoyable and grounded enough to overcome those concerns. At least for now. This week the […]

Little Witch Academia – 16[The Trial of Pohjola]

One of the weaker episodes of the show but still enjoyable. This week sees us visiting Lottes parents and Akko unlocking another of the words of Arcturus after sloving a disease outbreak. Thus getting closer to the grand triskelion and now learned the meaning of pathence. Except she didn’t learn the meaning of pathence. This […]

Re:Creators Episode 3 – “Don’t worry about what others said. Just be yourself.”

This week wasn’t a particular exciting episode as it went further into how the mechanics between the Creator and Created might or might not work. As speculated last week, Yuuya Mirokuji is a pretty fun character that takes his teleportation into the modern world in stride. His own fictional universe of the Tokyo underground isn’t […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Little Witch Academia – 15[Chariot of Fire]

Shiny Chariot rides once again and I think that’s where most of the animation went besides the showcase at the end of the episode. Wise choice though as it shows that Ursula hasn’t dulled much in her later years. She still seems intent on keeping her identity secret from Akko though this may be because […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100