Posted by psgels on 20 October 2011 with categories: Guilty Crown

This show is gorgeous, it’s directed by Tetsurou Araki (the director of Death Note and Kurozuka) and animated by Production IG. It’s bound to be action packed, and for those reasons I’m going to blog it. I don’t have any expectations for this beyond mere eye candy, though.

Here’s the thing: we’re in the middle of a very creative season, with continuations of shows with incredibly rich and imaginative settings (Last Exile, Hunter X Hunter, Fate/Zero), new series with really creative premises and purposes (Ben-To, Un-Go, Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki and even Phi Brain). And here this show comes with its superpowered teenagers, bland boy meets mysterious girl, stereotypically sadistic villains… and that’s pretty much it. Beyond the fact that it can shoot a good action scene and that this show looks amazing when it wants to, it just doesn’t have anything that sets it apart.

What I’m really afraid of is that this never really gets fixed. My big problem here is that this thing is written by the same guy who wrote Mai Otome and Macross Frontier (ignoring for a moment that he also came up with Seiko no Qwaser). Thankfully these first two episodes were not as bad as Mai Otome: this show is unremarkable, not bad, obnoxious and stupid. However, I’m more and more beginning to see this as the spiritual successor of Macross Frontier, but without the idols. It too looked pretty, but had a very weak story and bland characters, who never really seemed to know where they were going.

I was hoping for this episode to prove me wrong, but instead this was even more generic, due to the lack of quiet moments. First of all there are the usual questions: why do both the military and the rebels, despite having plenty of adults, depend on teenagers to pilot their mechas? If you have a reason for it: then that’s fine, but don’t just put some cute girls in mecha suits just for the sake of fanservice.

Also, the blond kid. Whose idea was that; seriously? This guy is the only actually bad character in this series so far. In every single scene, he’s portrayed as a psycho with a temper, even when there’s no reason for him to be so. I mean, the bomb girl in Mirai Nikki was psycho for a reason: she was risking her life in the middle of a truckload of explosives that she set up herself. This guy instead is like “muhahaha, I’m evil; bump into me and I’ll kill you!”

What’s more is that this show is too busy portraying its bad guys as assholes, rather than actually make compelling villains. The point where they killed those random civilians (who strangely were never mentioned again after their death; not even people mourning about them). What’s also bugging me is the existence of the female lead: why is she in this show, really? All she’s done so far is give powers to the male lead (which, according to what people are saying, can be done by everyone else as well). Oh, and appear in his school. Why was there a need to show that in the most cliched way possible?

However, what has also really bugged me so far: I’m seeing very little of Tetsurou Araki’s distinctive style here. I’m a fan of Death Note, Kurozuka and also that one story he did for Aoi Bungaku: the atmosphere and direction there were rock-solid, but they were nothing like what was shown here. This show needs to grow. Get rid of that psycho blonde and focus more on the characters without wasting time on pointless side stories or making the action too repetitive.
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. kivos says:

Haha fuck this stupid ass blog. No wonder no one comes here. Guilty crown shits all over un-go

2. Scruffy says:

I have to agree with you here. It’s very pretty and I absolutely love the soundtrack, but apart from that it’s just a random mecca show. This does not seem like a noitaminA show at all. To make matters worse it looks like from now on it is going to be set in the school.

3. mario2man says:

It kind of makes sense to be set in school to me. To get more and new weapons/tools he has to befriend more people.

4. Cytl says:

The MC powers makes me remember the Persona 3 game (relationships up = power up). Actually, If I remember right this anime is going to have a Visual Novel adaptation (maybe the setting will be more interesting to play than to watch).

5. KrazyKobun says:

I just think it’s really fun. Sure its cliched, but its entertaining. You can do much worse than this anime.

6. Firechick says:

@Kivos: if you don’t like it here, then leave. Nobody wants to hear you bully Psgels. And on the contrary, people DO come here. You’re just blind.

7. kivos says:

OK fine maybe I was a little to harsh and I apologize.

However what pisses me off is the way he went into the series expecting everything to be reveled in the first 2 episodes. Why do people do this? Or why do people do that? Well it doesn’t explain so I am going to get mad and bash the show. See that’s fucking stupid. If you even bothered to watch the previews for the anime you would have know that the first few episodes were going to be action packed. So getting pissed because of to much action is beyond ignorant. But hell at least we are getting action which is something I can’t say for f/z. 3 episodes in and not a damn thing has happened. The action, animation and use of music alone should have at least made this episode considered “good”, just because the story so far is a little bland doesn’t instantly make it disappointing especially when you consider this episode was just about the action anyway. Also you didn’t even mention anything about the OP. Why?

8. wakka9ca says:

@kivos: F/Z >>> Guilty Crown by far. There is something called “character development and richness” that is totally lacking in Guilty Crown right now. No charm whatsoever with any of the characters. This is far from the case of F/Z where nearly every character is fleshed out. Action is not what we are looking for in a long series like this. Likeable characters and intriguing plot development is more important than senseless action.

9. Hogart says:

GC feels like it’s taking the easy way out of everything. That really kills it for me, regardless of how lovely it looks. It’s tough to get into a show when it feels like I’ve seen it already.

Times like this I’m glad I don’t mind watching older anime.. it’s kinda interesting to compare two shallow shows from different eras then suffer through them one at a time.

10. Firechick says:

Maybe Guilty Crown wasted all of its budget on the animation and not the story and characters!

11. Hogart says:

@Kivos: ok, now I’m curious..

>he went into the series expecting everything to be reveled in the first 2 episodes

Where did psgels mention wanting everything to be revealed already? He alludes to wishing the heroine had more of a purpose, I guess?

>getting pissed because of to much action is beyond ignorant.

Getting pissed because psgels isn’t saying what you want him to say is.. well, you can figure out the rest.

Is it so difficult to just nod your head and say “Ok, that’s your opinion, and this is why I disagree..”?

I’ve gone on some tirades myself, but does Guilty Crown really deserve being defended this much?

12. Raggers says:

I have to say this:
    psgels has his own opinion that he shares with us, for free. Considering the vast number of anime he has watched, i think we can all agree he has a pretty good opinion. and it also makes me look at anime differently. I’ve not always agreed, but then whats the point of visiting a blog if you do?

and also, i have to thank psgels. I had almost given up on finding good anime when i came across this blog. Now i have no shortage of anime to enjoy, and i always read the blog after watching an episode.

if you want to hate psgels, please keep it to yourself. someone is giving up their time to share their love of anime with us. You are not being forced to accept it, or even read it for that matter. IMHO this is the best blog i have found, which truly takes a critical view and blogs episodes.

After that, i will get back to this episode. I liked it personally, not the best but still has potential, especially since it has 22 episodes. However, i think it may end up being open ended (like 07-Ghost) or have a rushed ending which pulls massive things from nowhere (No.6). If it can come up with a solid ending though, well built up, this could be a good series.

13. Hogart says:

@Kivos: after reading psgel’s Un-Go episode 2 post, I can see where you’d get the impression that he was hoping for more to be revealed (though I wouldn’t have read it that way at all if you hadn’t pointed it out).

14. c160 says:

Supporting psgels, I think this episode is really bland. Nothing too bad or offensive yet, but still bland. I can almost predict how the characters act and what they will say since I’ve seen the same scenario over and over again before.

The characters might have really deep background story that will be revealed much later on or maybe in the next episode, but the way that things are now, even I won’t have the patience to wait for it. The way things are now,it’s really just a typical coming of age anime. Sure the visuals are reaaaaaaaaalllllllyyyy pretty, but the way I see it, it’s the same scenes from those other bland animes, but just really pretty.

15. nandab says:

Just posting to say the same thing that happened to Raggers happened to me. I was feeling everything was too cliched and couldn’t find blogs dedicated to more serious anime (something other than naruto, bleach, harem/moe shows, etc) that just didn’t get any attention. Now, since my tastes are very much like psgel’s I always come to this blog to decide which anime to watch. I like the posts (they always make me look differently at anime) and many anime I have come to know because of psgels’s reviews. So, psgels, thanks! And keep up the good work!

16. Frost says:

Wasnt expecting anything from this other than the visuals so theres no disappointment to be found… Its pretty much like watching Avatar, you just dont watch it for the story/characters

And the transfer student cliche at the end… /facepalm good thing I really like Inori, I love her character design and personality seems to be my type anyway, so I can overlook this

Kinda weird they went with something like this for Noitamina though… It usually has the less mainstream/mature animes

17. AidanAK47 says:

Listen to wakka9ca, Kivos. True that Fate/zero hasn’t had much action in the past few episodes however the build up is pretty much done now and by god the stuff coming in the next few episodes makes this look like nothing. Besides action is the pay-off. It’s best done when the characters fighting are people who you can give a damn about.

18. Souther says:

Psgels does make some great comments, reviews and recommendations…but he also makes some questionable or plain wrong statements from time to time, so let’s try not to get all the praise get to his head. I don’t think he needs it. He’s a cool guy, but not perfect.

As for this show, I would say it’s an action series, first and foremost, and it’s definitely not trying to compete with Fate/Zero on any level.

Fate/Zero is a “closed” story based on a Holy Grail War that ended in a certain way. The novels were written already knowing how everything was going to end. The writer simply had the freedom to give the characters enough development and detail to fit in with what the F/SN timeline demanded.

Guilty Crown isn’t based on a game or novel, for one thing, so it lacks that wider context, and it’s paced completely differently, for another. The first two episodes have been focused on action and left expanded on everything else for later.

We barely know anything about these characters, not to mention their world, beyong the very superficial basics. That said, I’ll admit the content has mostly been stereotypical, but I don’t think this is a good sign of how the entire show is going to work.

I think it will become more interesting in time, provided you don’t come in expecting it to be something out of this world. If that is the case, then I’d expect to see psgels go back and retroctively take off points from almost every anime involving teenagers in situations beyong their regular existence. That kind of argument doesn’t really convince me.

19. Souther says:

At the same time, I’ll admit that this show wouldn’t be nearly as hyped or as popular as it is without all the celebrities and Production I.G.

20. Snowolf says:

I do agree with kivos, surprisingly, a little bit. I will say that psgels is being a little harsh and is asking for too much- it’s only been two episodes, so things like why a ‘teenage girl’ is piloting a mecha- I mean, why not? Why can’t it be teens? That sort of aspect is going to be answered later, I assume. And teens aren’t the only ones piloting the mechas- the first two in the first episode were piloted by adults. I will admit that the blonde dude was a total generic asshole, but once again- give it time. It’s way too early to condemn any sort of aspect on this show. I could understand if the show was regressing in terms of development- a lack of development may be criticized of course, but I don’t see that as something so detrimental to a show that has 22 more episodes to flesh things out. If we were on episode 7 and this was the episode format, then yes, I would be complaining, but heck, it’s only episode 2! Give it a little space. :)

That said, I completely agree that (ironically) this show is a guilty pleasure- I’m mainly watching it for the stunning animation and the excellent soundtrack/background music. Nothing has been fleshed out as of yet, but hopefully things will change soon enough, as we find out more about the characters and the power that Shu holds. So far I still can’t seem to hate either Shu or Inori despite them being extremely typical- they seem to hold something that makes them different. Inori’s silent strong will is something I see potential in, but if she truly is reduced to nothing but an object for passive-agressive male dominance, then yeah, I’ll be angered. Hopefully Shu will grow a set, but I do see reasons behind his whininess, and luckily, he’s not even annoying, so. I’m really interested in the wheelchair girl, and not interested in the subtle shots of fanservice. It’s a mix, to be honest. But to conclude: it’s only been two episodes, UN GO has yet to actually maintain a consistent narrative as well as flesh out its main cast, and that has 11 episodes, so. We’ll see. That’s all I can say for right now.

21. Gottis says:

I have to say I’m impressed with anyone making it past the first 10 minutes of this show. I know I didn’t. We have this omg!cute (I’m guessing?) chick running around, in need to be rescued. And this guy who looks like ‘ugh, I’m bored’. Well, No6 did it before and they did it better. >.> (No chick needing to be rescued for one thing, and Shion being more likable than what’s-his-name from the very first episode.) … That said, I still can’t forgive No6 for that final episode, but that’s another story entirely. (And before anyone asks, yes, I’m yaoi fangirl. Yes, I’m a fan of strong female leads. Yes, I’ve watched anime for 25+ years now. I’m no newbie.)

22. AidanAK47 says:

@Gottis, please don’t kick up another feminism argument.

23. VyseLegend says:

I think psgels is spot in about almost everything. The show is nice eye candy, but theres completely ludicrous moe fanservice, unexplained character powers and so far the main female lead has no real raison d’etre at all. Not to mention none of the characters has a genuine personality as of yet.

24. Enna says:

What is with people talking about feminism lately? Like, this past month or so I’ll see the topic brought up in the shoutbox every now and then. I usually don’t mind the topic itself, but it’s getting really annoying seeing people argue/debate about/even mention it at this point. Can we please just drop it?

But moving on. In regards to this episode, I have to agree with psgels. I still don’t think I can truly get into it. I tried, but it feels like a chore. The male lead doesn’t have much that makes him stand out, or any of the other characters for that matter. The small bits of fanservice annoyed me. The plot so far doesn’t feel fresh, engaging, anything. I’ll give it one thing, though, the visuals are pretty–but not enough to keep me watching.

25. Denizen says:

The way I see it there is room for improvement, but little chance.
    All the tools for something great are there, they just won’t be used.

In regards to the dead people, I assumed Pink-hair girl was singing for them, what with the Funeral Parlor’s mention of remembering the dead, but eh.

This show has got the art and concept down perfectly so it would be a shame to see it get bogged down under the same failures of bad writing and undeveloping characters.

26. fathomlessblue says:

I can think of two reasons why the female lead is in the show…

27. AKI says:

Ah, Production IG, you were great once, stunning visuals and all. Remember World Destruction and Eden of the East?

28. Addictd says:

I already have speculations for what this show is going to turn into…and damn, if I’m right, it’ll be good. But that’s just hoping since it IS a noitamina show…

29. Kim says:

Inori showing up at Shuu’s school was actually the best part of the whole episode….why?

Because it was the first time I don’t have her boobs and butt flashed at me every second.

30. kazid33 says:

I am whit psgels in this show, I give five or six more episodes to see if this show deserves something. Also this season have a lot of very good series, Personally I like Fate-Zero, Persona 4, Hunter X, Mirai N, Bento and Chihaja But i want to give this show an oportunity. Also I am whatching Idolmaster, I dont know why … yet, jeje.

31. Interstella5555 says:

@kivos lol nobody visits this blog huh look at all the responses to you. Nobody is forcing to his opionion if you can stand the heat GTFO.

32. synkronized says:

Well, at least Kivos really fired up all of folks that visit this sight.

I agree with psgels. The series animation is very beautiful but the story and characters blow. They’re 1 dimensional, cliched characters. The leader of Morgue Autopsy, or w/e the resistance group’s named, has the tired persona of Light and Lelouche. This makes his foresight/strategic abilities near perfect and kills any dramatic tension. Is it really that hard to portray leaders like Game of Thrones or Battlestar where brilliant tacticians fuck up and show how good they are by improvising and making the most of a bad situation?

On a side note I get really sick of Japan and US series where they always play the victim. For Japan it is the US, for the US they fantasize and wank off to Soviets invading our shores.

33. Flawfinder says:

Well, I’ve heard rumors that the next few episodes will focus on character development, so maybe I’ll actually give a crap about them. If this show turns out to be like Cameron’s Avatar, I’m going to be disappointed. I didn’t hate this episode, but it was not very good, plus the ending was painful.

34. Jellyfish Marine says:

@Gottis Oh mine, I can’t see Inori as a damsel in stress at all. Considered what she had been through before the fight broke out, it would have been so unrealistic if she could still fend herself.

I agree with most of the comments here; characters and story are pretty generic to the point that it is not hard to predict the future major event or plot twists. On the other hand the visual and delivering are real good (at least for me). Also, usually I really hate anything fanservice, but I have to admit that this show does it so well that kinda made me went dokidoki and flustered >///

35. gracie says:

i usually don’t criticize new shows too much, but MAN, this show felt /really/ uninspired. a few years back my sister and i created an anime plot called “the most stereotypical anime ever,” where we made up a show with the most cliched stereotypes we could think of, down to the engrish name (“it has to be something in english, but make no semantic sense!”). fast forward a few years and apparently someone has stolen our ideas and made guilty crown. i made my sister watch it, and we both cracked up over how it followed almost every animation cliche to a t. oh well. i would actually watch it for the pretty eye candy, but the main heroine annoys the crap out of me. :

36. Dr. Pest says:

Hm. I like Guilty Crown far more than Un-Go. The story itself isn’t something worth to be mentioned, but imo it’s pretty entertaining. Even TTGL (one of my top 5) was great because of the emotions and entertainment, not because of the story. With Un-Go it’s, for me, somehow reversed. The stories are ok but it didn’t amuse me so far. But I have to mention that I also don’t really like episodic series (besides 2-3 – Mushishi for example – so far).

37. totoum says:

I think poor psgels is suffering from post sacred seven trauma syndrome.

I actualy find GC’s first two episodes much better than SS’s so I fail to see why psgels is so down on GC while he was optimistic about SS (in the beginning)
    I also fail to see what’s creative about phi brain,yes it uses puzles,that’s it the rest is pretty darn standard (including the vilains)

I actualy was surprised by the ending,I fully expected Shu to shake Gai’s hand,everything had been build up for it,yet he didn’t.

38. Souther says:

@synkronized:

Consider that there are many stories where the U.S. is either the hero or the victim, so why can’t Japan do the same from time to time?

As for Gai being exactly like Light or Lelouch, I don’t think that’s fair. Light was crazier and had a god complex, for one thing, and Lelouch showed more emotion.

In fact, both of them screwed things up from time to time, so they aren’t “perfect” strategists like your description goes. Gai seems perfect now, I agree that’s a bit boring, but I imagine he won’t be like that the whole show.

39. Suzushina Yuriko says:

wall of text incoming

Yeah, surprisingly, I also agree with kivos just a little. It’s episode 2 – why are you questioning the existence of the female lead and complaining about the blond kid when the show’s barely even started? If you’re complaining about lack of character development, then at least wait until maybe the show is half over before doing so. As it is, your opinion is a little unfair.

I saw this kind of comment over at Mirai Nikki episode 2 too, when you said Minene was portrayed as a psycho bomber and not much more. She was just introduced – do you really want her story to be crammed into the episode the minute she appears?

About the blonde kid – is it really so hard to accept that there are completely corrupt and spoiled people in this world who like causing people pain for no reason? He seems to go berserk only when people try to touch him as well, so that could be important for later. Like with Minene, he was just introduced – give him some more time before judging him.

It appears your judgment of show is mainly based on how original it is and you appear to dislike common anime tropes. Like Divine at RandomC said:

“I realize some people feel very strongly about originality and perceive it as a fundamental flaw if a premise doesn’t offer anything new, but I fall into the group that likes to look at every new show individually to see what it has to offer with its own version of an existing idea. After all, “original” is all relative. If we were to shun every new show because it features something that’s been done before, we would never have another show with robots, zombies, and whatnot, which may be fine for those who have seen their fill, but would completely neglect those who are just getting into them (i.e. younger generations). They’re classified as tropes for a reason, which is somewhat akin to genres except at a sub-series level.”

Although I do agree a little with kivos, I do not agree with how he said it. Insulting someone else’s site and opinion is very rude, and I especially dislike that little comment on fate/zero since it’s probably my favorite show airing asides from Mawaru Penguindrum. Guilty Crown and fate/zero are two entirely separate stories with different genres and plot presentations. Comparing them is kind of pointless.

40. Triple_R says:

Honestly, I agree with kivos more than I do pgsels or wakka9ca, when it comes to Guilty Crown and Fate/Zero. Kivos admittedly could have been less blunt in his first post, but he did apologize and I can understand why he’s peeved.

Given the insane praise that Fate/Zero is getting give that it’s first episode was basically a double-sized exposition dump, and given the hate Guilty Crown is getting in spite of two visually GLORIOUS episodes, I have to wonder if some people here are allergic to good action scenes.

It is perfectly 100% legitimate to watch shows primarily for the action. That is the main reason I started watching Guilty Crown and Fate/Zero, because I wanted to see the anime equivalent to a fun, action blockbuster Hollywood movie feel.

4 Episodes worth of content in, and so far Fate/Zero has shown no real action aside from Gilgamesh curbstomping an Assassin. It was a nice scene, but it’s not much.

2 episodes in, and Guilty Crown is delivering great action scenes in flying colors.

As pgsels himself alluded to, there’s been plenty of intellectually deep anime this year with unusual premises and casts… so what’s wrong with having something that’s a simply stupendous sexy action-packed thrill ride that you can enjoy on the level of pure spectacle? Variety is the spice of life, is it not?

Pgsels rating this episode “Disappointing” is frankly ridiculous. The artistic/animation quality of this episode alone deserves better than that.

It does a real disservice to the considerable effort that Production I.G.’s animators obviously put behind this episode to judge it “disappointing”.

41. Arisu says:

I watched the first episode, thought it’s one of the most uninspired, boring shows I’ve watched this year. Granted, I only watched new series that gets a high review on anime blogs I trust like this one. Anyway, I don’t feel any urge to give this one a chance after it received such a low review. I might give this another chance if it receives a much higher rating after the whole series airs. But I’ve got a feeling this will turn out like Fractale.

Plenty of older and current shows to watch in the meantime.

42. wakka9ca says:

@Triple_R: well the reason each watch anime is different so it’s understandable. In fact, the reason for an individual actually change (some days I just need a good action series or a good comedy series too). For instance, Karas had Hollywood-style action, but the plot is a bit shaky… Same thing for the Appleseed movies.

“because I wanted to see the anime equivalent to a fun, action blockbuster Hollywood movie feel”

If you ever try to watch LoGH, GiTS:SAC or Natsume Yuujinchou don’t do it with that mentality. Needless to say, some people here are allergic to Hollywood action films too. Then again, to everyone his or her taste…

Guilty Crown right now is very nice action… indeed that cannot be denied. Also, it’s the 2/22 episode so it’s too early to decide. However, people do display a certain disappointment after the interesting premise and settings.

43. Puran says:

So… This was again generic… And yeah I’ll agree with everyone else that is (wishfully) thinking that the story may get more interesting and explained later. And I can also somehow try and forgive all the bad things in this episode… I could also pretend to ignore the yellow haired crazy bad guy (hey I just summed up his personality perfectly!) and pretend to believe that they are going to give him a believable background at some point.

I could also not mind the needless and out of place fanservice.

But the end was the last drop. A school setting and a transfer student?… Come… ON…

And to those that say be patient, it might get better, things will be explained/developed : Here is the thing. This series so far is BAD at hinting and foreshadowing things. It completely fails to intrigue, it actually seems it’s not even trying to. It’s “here is this guy, he is evil, now let’s move on” “There is some war, about a virus, now let’s move on”.

Other series do it right. They introduce stuff (characters/plot devices) that may seem stereotypical, but they somehow hint/promise that things will get more interesting. They often fail to actually do that, but the promise keeps me watching.

44. Breelik says:

its cool to me. i am sure it wont be as bad as naruto shipuden is now. i mean rrly wasting 30 episodes on stupid side stories. its okay for them to throw a side story in occasionally but not 30 episodes strait.

45. Anon-chan says:

I agree with you that the second episode is totally bad, I could not even stand watching it for more than 10 minutes without fast forwarding, the blond guy is weird as well, but if in the next episode the creator decided to get rid of him (i.e. bomb/suicide etc that is quick) it would be totally weird…I mean after he appears so many time and he died in an episode…ugh…

46. nexus says:

Ok this is high budget, fighting shonen. Epic visuals, poser characters etc.

If you like the genre, and you also like action based plots.

YOU WILL LIKE GUILTY CROWN,

Also the plot, characters, setting is CLICHE AS HELL.

But….

this is better, than your average shonen.

the Plot in shonen genre is not as important as other factors (some purist will eat me)

for a good plot, go watch legend of the galactic heroes. You will feel less mainstream.

I MEAN I ENJOYED CODE GEASS, IT WAS FUN and flamboyant. STILL IT WAS A SENSELESS TRAINWRECK. but an epic finale was worth it

@Aidan: Somehow. The problem is rather Haruki anyway and it's canonically part of her character. Kei becomes more likeable IMO and the events get much more complicated and/or serious plus there are a bunch of characters getting added to the protag team which makes the whole thing more dynamic. The best comes when some other character joins around the middle though.
Personally, I can digest the emotionless dialogue in the first place since I watch the series with the mindset that the main characters are innately "broken" in some ways.
@Aidan Hmm...one might consider the emotion level increases in main characters' dialogues for Sakurada Reset as baby steps depending on how dramatic one expects a character to act in other animes. (The emotions increase do exist though) There are certainly emotional scenes and characters do develop in ways where one can't just say they're 100% robots.
@Travlos, If you so wish then you can write a review for Bahamut virgin soul. Just let me know if you are up for it. If so I recommend writing it up on google docs, then when you have it done I can give your account contributer status and you can paste it into a post for us to look over and publish on the site. For screenshots our standard size is H240 X W138.
Did they ever fix that emotionless dialgoue issue they had going on?
You are not alone. The second half of Sakurada Reset made me so glad that I stuck with the series.
Oh and I totally forogt Reset ended now too. Not sure if I am the only fan of that but the whole second half was one of the better things I've seen this year.
Okay now thinking three others came into my mind, but that's still not much. A lot of series started interesting and turned out mediocre or cheap after a while.
Considering that I love Made in Abyss, PrinPrin, Fate/Apo (so far) and 18if too guess this season was better than I've expected. 2016 was kind of a let down imo, animewise. Off the top of my head I only remember Rakugo, Fune wo Amu and Bokudake I think.
I didn't expect to like Virgin Soul as much as I do. Especially the last ~5 episodes got me. The weird thing is that I was disappointed by S1 actually.
@Travlos: I don't mind if you do a guess review on Virgin Soul, but let's me check with other admins first.

On Virgin Soul, I'm not sure if I like the bew development. It suddenly does a 180 degree turn on King Charriot, which I don't feel rewarding.
Kakegurui will have an anime original ending. It might be better than the ongoing manga. We shall see. An enjoyable foray.

Virgin Soul is going for a nice explosive ending. If no one writes a review, I would be willing to write one.
*kind of
While its very much in the shadow of the first and the protaganist started out kind annoying, I kind of got caught up in the spectacle and sentimentality of gunbuster 2.
Urasawa is preparing a new manga
yes the episode where Julian watched the documentary was fun. The Caligula like character comes from one of the lesser episodes of the series, when Kircheis beats up some rebelling third rate noble in the Empire.
Goddammit, fail, it just changed the colour of the login name...
I declare in the red truth that the next anime I shall watch is Diebuster.
From what little I saw, I remember a Caligula like character in one episode.
I remember there's an episode where Julian just goes on Space Netflix and just watches a documentary. I actually liked that lol
yup, a LOGH that run like the Altair anime would be bad. It needs to show the sweep of history
@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.
well, well. Both Made in the Abyss and Virgin Soul do not hold back. Grim! RE:Creators is warping up. Comparing with these other shows I can fully appreciate the problems people have with it. But still I am glad I am sticking to the end. Altair's voice actor by the way did great.
@Helghast, And Kings Field was the Demon Souls before Demon Souls came out.
having binge watched several of this season's shows I would say Princess Principal is the most rounded. Made in Abyss is good. Kakegurui and The Reflection as SuperMario said will depend on your tastes. There is also Shouko no Altair. You will like it if you liked Tanya Saga of Evil, or Legend of Galactic Heroes, or Arslan Senki or manga like Vinland Saga, Gunka no Baltzar, and especially Historie
Jesus...me watching this weeks Made in Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogzsWhZcmM
HelghastKillzone
So... Demon Souls was the Dark Souls before Dark Souls came out.
@anon1385426: the safest bets aside from Made in Abyss are Welcome to the Ballroom and Princess Principal. Kakegurui and the Refection are for more acqurired taste
Aside from Made in Abyss, what's the best anime this season?
@KT, the pacing and the framerate early on are my two biggest issues. Later on the story starts to get abit more engaging, and they start doin things I didnt expect, but the pacing is still there. Some akward pauses.
Look, Berserk and Dark Souls are both amazing. But I only have 3 Dark Souls games, and 38 Berserk volumes. Im clearly biased
I sat down and watched the first 4 episodes of The Reflection. It is an interesting attempt, and I can see the people making it having fun doing so. But I did notice a pacing issue. For some reason the episodes felt like they dragged a bit too long.
Dark Souls is the Berserk of Video Games.
Dark Souls really went all Berserk if you ask me
I am not one for putting down law but can we never ever compare anything to Dark Souls ever again? Cause it's actually become really tiresome how everything is the dark souls of something.
No other sentence has made me want to watch Made in Abyss more
HelghastKillzone
I guess we're finally at the point where Made in Abyss goes all Dark Souls/Bloodborne.
Apo's Jack the Ripper had at least a nice idea behind it, it's just the clothes that are a bad choice. But there are just too many lolis for the sake of fanservice in that game. I accept it if there is at least a reason for this but it's usually just random.
@Aidan: Same here. I was never a fan of genderbendings and turning historical people into lolis. The first one I can accept with people like Arthuria because it added a lot to her character, but most of them are just plain and generic. I just see no reason why pirates, grown up men or Blavatsky would ever appear as little girls. Especially since popular beliefs should influence their appearance.
On Altair, one commenter did an excellent job of poiting out the appeal of that show; and frankly the show is wearing on me now.
@Travlos: I'm glad you enjoy Princess Principal. I'm quite surprised myself that in the latter half the show slowed its pace down which mean the focus is switched from action to more characters interactions; which I greatly enjoy
Well I binge watched Princess Principal. That is a very good show. I was surprised. Good animation, good music, the art is good, hell I even did not mind the protagonist art. But what I really like is the stories. All the episode were pretty solid and interesting.
Just won a fight by the skin of my teeth thanks to my Lancer, Cu Chulainn. You the man Cu!
@Amagi, Been playing Grand Order myself. It's rather fun. There are some good original character in it but I notice with Quantity certain figures designs were pretty terrible. I thought Assassins of black was the worst but some Grand Order servents manage to top it in terrible. Why all the bikini's?
Fate/GO has quite some interesting original characters there. Wish we'd see them in some actual manga or anime series with more backstory someday. - I also like that we finally have an overpowered, interesting and competent Hassan with King Hassan for once. His design is metal AF too.
Binge watched Altair. The pacing of the show is a problem, but in general the raw material is good. Altair is sympathetic, and the world is interesting. But I do feel this is the kind of show that would had gained by a Monster or LOGH type treatment. Also, man it is scary how accurate they got some of the traits of Greeks (Phoenicians in the show). I am a Greek, I should know! :p
forgot to mention. I saw the 91 Days special. Three side stories that give some depth to the events in the main anime, but nothing that goes beyond it's end. Still they were in general ok to good.
SuperWooper
It's got Jude Law playing "this kind of huge robot butler called Charles, who is also a rocket ship." What could possibly go wrong?
Anime with Jaden Smith? Um..I don't know about this.
@Kaiser: one of the good thing about SoL shows like Centaur and even 18if is that their episodes are self-contained, so you can just jump right in to watch the good ones and ignore the rest
I just love Chise's presence so I might enjoy the last episode more than anyone else. But yeah I'm quite satisfied with Princess Principal right now
Actually I am quite surprised Princess Principal hasn't gone off the rails yet. Might even turn out to be a fun show in the end. If the man can make it to the finish line without a misstep.

Classroom of the Elite – 11 [What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity]

So suddenly, without mentioned at any point before, Horikita can suddenly kicks ass? Or that Horikita has been sick ALL THIS TIME? Or that Horikita still can kick some ass while being sick all this time? Since when the Class-D boys shrink into only Ayanokouji, Hirata and the 3 idiots? On that note, where is […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 11 [Evaluation]

And so the Tenpei Cup comes to a close at last. It took five episodes to get from the first round to the awards ceremony, and not all parts of the competition were created equal, but I’m happy that my girl Mako managed to claim the Ballroom Queen award. After she received the trophy, there […]

Kakegurui – 11[The woman who bets her life]

So…what am i supposed to say here? Yumeko wins, the treasurer loses and now the show looks to be teasing a matchup between the Student council President and Yumeko. I would say it’s a good thing this shows end looms near as my interest in it has just about petered out. I love seeing smug […]

Made in Abyss – 11[Nanachi]

It’s been an issue I have wanted to bring up before but the previous episode recaps of this series are rather long. Today’s was the biggest offender as the first three and a half minutes was just footage from the previous episode. While these kinds of recaps are handy for those watching weekly to catch […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 12[The Holy Man Returns Triumphant]

If Fate/Apocrypha can keep up this level of quality till the end, I may just change my overall opinion on it. I don’t think it would match the works of Fate/Zero or Unlimited Blade Works but it could beat out the 2006 Fate/Stay Night, Prisma Illya and Fate/Grand Order. It’s a decently respectable position in […]

The Reflection – 9 [Downtown L.A.]

This week The Reflection continues on towards its finale. Finally all of our characters are in one place and raring for a fight. Reflection starts off right back with the Idol group, being unable to decide between beef or fish. Apparently an episode named for the dilemma wasn’t enough. Reflection quickly cuts back to Elen […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 12 [Battle of Hakodate]

Welcome to the penultimate episode of Ranbu! Unable to end with a small, personal story, Ranbu prepares for the largest battle yet! Lets jump in. Ranbu opens up right were last week left off. Kane’s sword falling, to strike Horikawa. Instead, it cuts into the dirt at his feet, moved aside at the final moments. […]

Princess Principal – 11 [Case 23 Humble Double]

Hmmm, something doesn’t ring true here. As this episode ends, we can assume that the Princess and Ange have a big break-up, Princess plays the role of Ange under the Princess’s disguise, and Ange has gone to Casablanca to live in a casa blanca for good. To be frank, I never really buy all that. […]

18if – 11 [The Thorn Cross Association]

Hum, never know that Eve is a ginger and has wings like an angel and wears that cool dress. I’ve always thought she’s always naked. hmmm Finally, 18if provides an overarching double length plot to wrap everything up. We have an episode that splits half of the time as a recap of what previously happened […]

Sakura Quest (Summer 2017) Review – 79/100

Conceived as a third installment in a loose P.A Works trilogy about young adult girls in working environment, Sakura Quest both knows its target audience well, and has some big shoes to fill. After all, many have considered Shirobako an install classic for good reasons. As it turns out, Sakura Quest is more on the […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100