Posted by psgels on 20 October 2011 with categories: Guilty Crown

This show is gorgeous, it’s directed by Tetsurou Araki (the director of Death Note and Kurozuka) and animated by Production IG. It’s bound to be action packed, and for those reasons I’m going to blog it. I don’t have any expectations for this beyond mere eye candy, though.

Here’s the thing: we’re in the middle of a very creative season, with continuations of shows with incredibly rich and imaginative settings (Last Exile, Hunter X Hunter, Fate/Zero), new series with really creative premises and purposes (Ben-To, Un-Go, Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki and even Phi Brain). And here this show comes with its superpowered teenagers, bland boy meets mysterious girl, stereotypically sadistic villains… and that’s pretty much it. Beyond the fact that it can shoot a good action scene and that this show looks amazing when it wants to, it just doesn’t have anything that sets it apart.

What I’m really afraid of is that this never really gets fixed. My big problem here is that this thing is written by the same guy who wrote Mai Otome and Macross Frontier (ignoring for a moment that he also came up with Seiko no Qwaser). Thankfully these first two episodes were not as bad as Mai Otome: this show is unremarkable, not bad, obnoxious and stupid. However, I’m more and more beginning to see this as the spiritual successor of Macross Frontier, but without the idols. It too looked pretty, but had a very weak story and bland characters, who never really seemed to know where they were going.

I was hoping for this episode to prove me wrong, but instead this was even more generic, due to the lack of quiet moments. First of all there are the usual questions: why do both the military and the rebels, despite having plenty of adults, depend on teenagers to pilot their mechas? If you have a reason for it: then that’s fine, but don’t just put some cute girls in mecha suits just for the sake of fanservice.

Also, the blond kid. Whose idea was that; seriously? This guy is the only actually bad character in this series so far. In every single scene, he’s portrayed as a psycho with a temper, even when there’s no reason for him to be so. I mean, the bomb girl in Mirai Nikki was psycho for a reason: she was risking her life in the middle of a truckload of explosives that she set up herself. This guy instead is like “muhahaha, I’m evil; bump into me and I’ll kill you!”

What’s more is that this show is too busy portraying its bad guys as assholes, rather than actually make compelling villains. The point where they killed those random civilians (who strangely were never mentioned again after their death; not even people mourning about them). What’s also bugging me is the existence of the female lead: why is she in this show, really? All she’s done so far is give powers to the male lead (which, according to what people are saying, can be done by everyone else as well). Oh, and appear in his school. Why was there a need to show that in the most cliched way possible?

However, what has also really bugged me so far: I’m seeing very little of Tetsurou Araki’s distinctive style here. I’m a fan of Death Note, Kurozuka and also that one story he did for Aoi Bungaku: the atmosphere and direction there were rock-solid, but they were nothing like what was shown here. This show needs to grow. Get rid of that psycho blonde and focus more on the characters without wasting time on pointless side stories or making the action too repetitive.
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. kivos says:

Haha fuck this stupid ass blog. No wonder no one comes here. Guilty crown shits all over un-go

2. Scruffy says:

I have to agree with you here. It’s very pretty and I absolutely love the soundtrack, but apart from that it’s just a random mecca show. This does not seem like a noitaminA show at all. To make matters worse it looks like from now on it is going to be set in the school.

3. mario2man says:

It kind of makes sense to be set in school to me. To get more and new weapons/tools he has to befriend more people.

4. Cytl says:

The MC powers makes me remember the Persona 3 game (relationships up = power up). Actually, If I remember right this anime is going to have a Visual Novel adaptation (maybe the setting will be more interesting to play than to watch).

5. KrazyKobun says:

I just think it’s really fun. Sure its cliched, but its entertaining. You can do much worse than this anime.

6. Firechick says:

@Kivos: if you don’t like it here, then leave. Nobody wants to hear you bully Psgels. And on the contrary, people DO come here. You’re just blind.

7. kivos says:

OK fine maybe I was a little to harsh and I apologize.

However what pisses me off is the way he went into the series expecting everything to be reveled in the first 2 episodes. Why do people do this? Or why do people do that? Well it doesn’t explain so I am going to get mad and bash the show. See that’s fucking stupid. If you even bothered to watch the previews for the anime you would have know that the first few episodes were going to be action packed. So getting pissed because of to much action is beyond ignorant. But hell at least we are getting action which is something I can’t say for f/z. 3 episodes in and not a damn thing has happened. The action, animation and use of music alone should have at least made this episode considered “good”, just because the story so far is a little bland doesn’t instantly make it disappointing especially when you consider this episode was just about the action anyway. Also you didn’t even mention anything about the OP. Why?

8. wakka9ca says:

@kivos: F/Z >>> Guilty Crown by far. There is something called “character development and richness” that is totally lacking in Guilty Crown right now. No charm whatsoever with any of the characters. This is far from the case of F/Z where nearly every character is fleshed out. Action is not what we are looking for in a long series like this. Likeable characters and intriguing plot development is more important than senseless action.

9. Hogart says:

GC feels like it’s taking the easy way out of everything. That really kills it for me, regardless of how lovely it looks. It’s tough to get into a show when it feels like I’ve seen it already.

Times like this I’m glad I don’t mind watching older anime.. it’s kinda interesting to compare two shallow shows from different eras then suffer through them one at a time.

10. Firechick says:

Maybe Guilty Crown wasted all of its budget on the animation and not the story and characters!

11. Hogart says:

@Kivos: ok, now I’m curious..

>he went into the series expecting everything to be reveled in the first 2 episodes

Where did psgels mention wanting everything to be revealed already? He alludes to wishing the heroine had more of a purpose, I guess?

>getting pissed because of to much action is beyond ignorant.

Getting pissed because psgels isn’t saying what you want him to say is.. well, you can figure out the rest.

Is it so difficult to just nod your head and say “Ok, that’s your opinion, and this is why I disagree..”?

I’ve gone on some tirades myself, but does Guilty Crown really deserve being defended this much?

12. Raggers says:

I have to say this:
    psgels has his own opinion that he shares with us, for free. Considering the vast number of anime he has watched, i think we can all agree he has a pretty good opinion. and it also makes me look at anime differently. I’ve not always agreed, but then whats the point of visiting a blog if you do?

and also, i have to thank psgels. I had almost given up on finding good anime when i came across this blog. Now i have no shortage of anime to enjoy, and i always read the blog after watching an episode.

if you want to hate psgels, please keep it to yourself. someone is giving up their time to share their love of anime with us. You are not being forced to accept it, or even read it for that matter. IMHO this is the best blog i have found, which truly takes a critical view and blogs episodes.

After that, i will get back to this episode. I liked it personally, not the best but still has potential, especially since it has 22 episodes. However, i think it may end up being open ended (like 07-Ghost) or have a rushed ending which pulls massive things from nowhere (No.6). If it can come up with a solid ending though, well built up, this could be a good series.

13. Hogart says:

@Kivos: after reading psgel’s Un-Go episode 2 post, I can see where you’d get the impression that he was hoping for more to be revealed (though I wouldn’t have read it that way at all if you hadn’t pointed it out).

14. c160 says:

Supporting psgels, I think this episode is really bland. Nothing too bad or offensive yet, but still bland. I can almost predict how the characters act and what they will say since I’ve seen the same scenario over and over again before.

The characters might have really deep background story that will be revealed much later on or maybe in the next episode, but the way that things are now, even I won’t have the patience to wait for it. The way things are now,it’s really just a typical coming of age anime. Sure the visuals are reaaaaaaaaalllllllyyyy pretty, but the way I see it, it’s the same scenes from those other bland animes, but just really pretty.

15. nandab says:

Just posting to say the same thing that happened to Raggers happened to me. I was feeling everything was too cliched and couldn’t find blogs dedicated to more serious anime (something other than naruto, bleach, harem/moe shows, etc) that just didn’t get any attention. Now, since my tastes are very much like psgel’s I always come to this blog to decide which anime to watch. I like the posts (they always make me look differently at anime) and many anime I have come to know because of psgels’s reviews. So, psgels, thanks! And keep up the good work!

16. Frost says:

Wasnt expecting anything from this other than the visuals so theres no disappointment to be found… Its pretty much like watching Avatar, you just dont watch it for the story/characters

And the transfer student cliche at the end… /facepalm good thing I really like Inori, I love her character design and personality seems to be my type anyway, so I can overlook this

Kinda weird they went with something like this for Noitamina though… It usually has the less mainstream/mature animes

17. AidanAK47 says:

Listen to wakka9ca, Kivos. True that Fate/zero hasn’t had much action in the past few episodes however the build up is pretty much done now and by god the stuff coming in the next few episodes makes this look like nothing. Besides action is the pay-off. It’s best done when the characters fighting are people who you can give a damn about.

18. Souther says:

Psgels does make some great comments, reviews and recommendations…but he also makes some questionable or plain wrong statements from time to time, so let’s try not to get all the praise get to his head. I don’t think he needs it. He’s a cool guy, but not perfect.

As for this show, I would say it’s an action series, first and foremost, and it’s definitely not trying to compete with Fate/Zero on any level.

Fate/Zero is a “closed” story based on a Holy Grail War that ended in a certain way. The novels were written already knowing how everything was going to end. The writer simply had the freedom to give the characters enough development and detail to fit in with what the F/SN timeline demanded.

Guilty Crown isn’t based on a game or novel, for one thing, so it lacks that wider context, and it’s paced completely differently, for another. The first two episodes have been focused on action and left expanded on everything else for later.

We barely know anything about these characters, not to mention their world, beyong the very superficial basics. That said, I’ll admit the content has mostly been stereotypical, but I don’t think this is a good sign of how the entire show is going to work.

I think it will become more interesting in time, provided you don’t come in expecting it to be something out of this world. If that is the case, then I’d expect to see psgels go back and retroctively take off points from almost every anime involving teenagers in situations beyong their regular existence. That kind of argument doesn’t really convince me.

19. Souther says:

At the same time, I’ll admit that this show wouldn’t be nearly as hyped or as popular as it is without all the celebrities and Production I.G.

20. Snowolf says:

I do agree with kivos, surprisingly, a little bit. I will say that psgels is being a little harsh and is asking for too much- it’s only been two episodes, so things like why a ‘teenage girl’ is piloting a mecha- I mean, why not? Why can’t it be teens? That sort of aspect is going to be answered later, I assume. And teens aren’t the only ones piloting the mechas- the first two in the first episode were piloted by adults. I will admit that the blonde dude was a total generic asshole, but once again- give it time. It’s way too early to condemn any sort of aspect on this show. I could understand if the show was regressing in terms of development- a lack of development may be criticized of course, but I don’t see that as something so detrimental to a show that has 22 more episodes to flesh things out. If we were on episode 7 and this was the episode format, then yes, I would be complaining, but heck, it’s only episode 2! Give it a little space. :)

That said, I completely agree that (ironically) this show is a guilty pleasure- I’m mainly watching it for the stunning animation and the excellent soundtrack/background music. Nothing has been fleshed out as of yet, but hopefully things will change soon enough, as we find out more about the characters and the power that Shu holds. So far I still can’t seem to hate either Shu or Inori despite them being extremely typical- they seem to hold something that makes them different. Inori’s silent strong will is something I see potential in, but if she truly is reduced to nothing but an object for passive-agressive male dominance, then yeah, I’ll be angered. Hopefully Shu will grow a set, but I do see reasons behind his whininess, and luckily, he’s not even annoying, so. I’m really interested in the wheelchair girl, and not interested in the subtle shots of fanservice. It’s a mix, to be honest. But to conclude: it’s only been two episodes, UN GO has yet to actually maintain a consistent narrative as well as flesh out its main cast, and that has 11 episodes, so. We’ll see. That’s all I can say for right now.

21. Gottis says:

I have to say I’m impressed with anyone making it past the first 10 minutes of this show. I know I didn’t. We have this omg!cute (I’m guessing?) chick running around, in need to be rescued. And this guy who looks like ‘ugh, I’m bored’. Well, No6 did it before and they did it better. >.> (No chick needing to be rescued for one thing, and Shion being more likable than what’s-his-name from the very first episode.) … That said, I still can’t forgive No6 for that final episode, but that’s another story entirely. (And before anyone asks, yes, I’m yaoi fangirl. Yes, I’m a fan of strong female leads. Yes, I’ve watched anime for 25+ years now. I’m no newbie.)

22. AidanAK47 says:

@Gottis, please don’t kick up another feminism argument.

23. VyseLegend says:

I think psgels is spot in about almost everything. The show is nice eye candy, but theres completely ludicrous moe fanservice, unexplained character powers and so far the main female lead has no real raison d’etre at all. Not to mention none of the characters has a genuine personality as of yet.

24. Enna says:

What is with people talking about feminism lately? Like, this past month or so I’ll see the topic brought up in the shoutbox every now and then. I usually don’t mind the topic itself, but it’s getting really annoying seeing people argue/debate about/even mention it at this point. Can we please just drop it?

But moving on. In regards to this episode, I have to agree with psgels. I still don’t think I can truly get into it. I tried, but it feels like a chore. The male lead doesn’t have much that makes him stand out, or any of the other characters for that matter. The small bits of fanservice annoyed me. The plot so far doesn’t feel fresh, engaging, anything. I’ll give it one thing, though, the visuals are pretty–but not enough to keep me watching.

25. Denizen says:

The way I see it there is room for improvement, but little chance.
    All the tools for something great are there, they just won’t be used.

In regards to the dead people, I assumed Pink-hair girl was singing for them, what with the Funeral Parlor’s mention of remembering the dead, but eh.

This show has got the art and concept down perfectly so it would be a shame to see it get bogged down under the same failures of bad writing and undeveloping characters.

26. fathomlessblue says:

I can think of two reasons why the female lead is in the show…

27. AKI says:

Ah, Production IG, you were great once, stunning visuals and all. Remember World Destruction and Eden of the East?

28. Addictd says:

I already have speculations for what this show is going to turn into…and damn, if I’m right, it’ll be good. But that’s just hoping since it IS a noitamina show…

29. Kim says:

Inori showing up at Shuu’s school was actually the best part of the whole episode….why?

Because it was the first time I don’t have her boobs and butt flashed at me every second.

30. kazid33 says:

I am whit psgels in this show, I give five or six more episodes to see if this show deserves something. Also this season have a lot of very good series, Personally I like Fate-Zero, Persona 4, Hunter X, Mirai N, Bento and Chihaja But i want to give this show an oportunity. Also I am whatching Idolmaster, I dont know why … yet, jeje.

31. Interstella5555 says:

@kivos lol nobody visits this blog huh look at all the responses to you. Nobody is forcing to his opionion if you can stand the heat GTFO.

32. synkronized says:

Well, at least Kivos really fired up all of folks that visit this sight.

I agree with psgels. The series animation is very beautiful but the story and characters blow. They’re 1 dimensional, cliched characters. The leader of Morgue Autopsy, or w/e the resistance group’s named, has the tired persona of Light and Lelouche. This makes his foresight/strategic abilities near perfect and kills any dramatic tension. Is it really that hard to portray leaders like Game of Thrones or Battlestar where brilliant tacticians fuck up and show how good they are by improvising and making the most of a bad situation?

On a side note I get really sick of Japan and US series where they always play the victim. For Japan it is the US, for the US they fantasize and wank off to Soviets invading our shores.

33. Flawfinder says:

Well, I’ve heard rumors that the next few episodes will focus on character development, so maybe I’ll actually give a crap about them. If this show turns out to be like Cameron’s Avatar, I’m going to be disappointed. I didn’t hate this episode, but it was not very good, plus the ending was painful.

34. Jellyfish Marine says:

@Gottis Oh mine, I can’t see Inori as a damsel in stress at all. Considered what she had been through before the fight broke out, it would have been so unrealistic if she could still fend herself.

I agree with most of the comments here; characters and story are pretty generic to the point that it is not hard to predict the future major event or plot twists. On the other hand the visual and delivering are real good (at least for me). Also, usually I really hate anything fanservice, but I have to admit that this show does it so well that kinda made me went dokidoki and flustered >///

35. gracie says:

i usually don’t criticize new shows too much, but MAN, this show felt /really/ uninspired. a few years back my sister and i created an anime plot called “the most stereotypical anime ever,” where we made up a show with the most cliched stereotypes we could think of, down to the engrish name (“it has to be something in english, but make no semantic sense!”). fast forward a few years and apparently someone has stolen our ideas and made guilty crown. i made my sister watch it, and we both cracked up over how it followed almost every animation cliche to a t. oh well. i would actually watch it for the pretty eye candy, but the main heroine annoys the crap out of me. :

36. Dr. Pest says:

Hm. I like Guilty Crown far more than Un-Go. The story itself isn’t something worth to be mentioned, but imo it’s pretty entertaining. Even TTGL (one of my top 5) was great because of the emotions and entertainment, not because of the story. With Un-Go it’s, for me, somehow reversed. The stories are ok but it didn’t amuse me so far. But I have to mention that I also don’t really like episodic series (besides 2-3 – Mushishi for example – so far).

37. totoum says:

I think poor psgels is suffering from post sacred seven trauma syndrome.

I actualy find GC’s first two episodes much better than SS’s so I fail to see why psgels is so down on GC while he was optimistic about SS (in the beginning)
    I also fail to see what’s creative about phi brain,yes it uses puzles,that’s it the rest is pretty darn standard (including the vilains)

I actualy was surprised by the ending,I fully expected Shu to shake Gai’s hand,everything had been build up for it,yet he didn’t.

38. Souther says:

@synkronized:

Consider that there are many stories where the U.S. is either the hero or the victim, so why can’t Japan do the same from time to time?

As for Gai being exactly like Light or Lelouch, I don’t think that’s fair. Light was crazier and had a god complex, for one thing, and Lelouch showed more emotion.

In fact, both of them screwed things up from time to time, so they aren’t “perfect” strategists like your description goes. Gai seems perfect now, I agree that’s a bit boring, but I imagine he won’t be like that the whole show.

39. Suzushina Yuriko says:

wall of text incoming

Yeah, surprisingly, I also agree with kivos just a little. It’s episode 2 – why are you questioning the existence of the female lead and complaining about the blond kid when the show’s barely even started? If you’re complaining about lack of character development, then at least wait until maybe the show is half over before doing so. As it is, your opinion is a little unfair.

I saw this kind of comment over at Mirai Nikki episode 2 too, when you said Minene was portrayed as a psycho bomber and not much more. She was just introduced – do you really want her story to be crammed into the episode the minute she appears?

About the blonde kid – is it really so hard to accept that there are completely corrupt and spoiled people in this world who like causing people pain for no reason? He seems to go berserk only when people try to touch him as well, so that could be important for later. Like with Minene, he was just introduced – give him some more time before judging him.

It appears your judgment of show is mainly based on how original it is and you appear to dislike common anime tropes. Like Divine at RandomC said:

“I realize some people feel very strongly about originality and perceive it as a fundamental flaw if a premise doesn’t offer anything new, but I fall into the group that likes to look at every new show individually to see what it has to offer with its own version of an existing idea. After all, “original” is all relative. If we were to shun every new show because it features something that’s been done before, we would never have another show with robots, zombies, and whatnot, which may be fine for those who have seen their fill, but would completely neglect those who are just getting into them (i.e. younger generations). They’re classified as tropes for a reason, which is somewhat akin to genres except at a sub-series level.”

Although I do agree a little with kivos, I do not agree with how he said it. Insulting someone else’s site and opinion is very rude, and I especially dislike that little comment on fate/zero since it’s probably my favorite show airing asides from Mawaru Penguindrum. Guilty Crown and fate/zero are two entirely separate stories with different genres and plot presentations. Comparing them is kind of pointless.

40. Triple_R says:

Honestly, I agree with kivos more than I do pgsels or wakka9ca, when it comes to Guilty Crown and Fate/Zero. Kivos admittedly could have been less blunt in his first post, but he did apologize and I can understand why he’s peeved.

Given the insane praise that Fate/Zero is getting give that it’s first episode was basically a double-sized exposition dump, and given the hate Guilty Crown is getting in spite of two visually GLORIOUS episodes, I have to wonder if some people here are allergic to good action scenes.

It is perfectly 100% legitimate to watch shows primarily for the action. That is the main reason I started watching Guilty Crown and Fate/Zero, because I wanted to see the anime equivalent to a fun, action blockbuster Hollywood movie feel.

4 Episodes worth of content in, and so far Fate/Zero has shown no real action aside from Gilgamesh curbstomping an Assassin. It was a nice scene, but it’s not much.

2 episodes in, and Guilty Crown is delivering great action scenes in flying colors.

As pgsels himself alluded to, there’s been plenty of intellectually deep anime this year with unusual premises and casts… so what’s wrong with having something that’s a simply stupendous sexy action-packed thrill ride that you can enjoy on the level of pure spectacle? Variety is the spice of life, is it not?

Pgsels rating this episode “Disappointing” is frankly ridiculous. The artistic/animation quality of this episode alone deserves better than that.

It does a real disservice to the considerable effort that Production I.G.’s animators obviously put behind this episode to judge it “disappointing”.

41. Arisu says:

I watched the first episode, thought it’s one of the most uninspired, boring shows I’ve watched this year. Granted, I only watched new series that gets a high review on anime blogs I trust like this one. Anyway, I don’t feel any urge to give this one a chance after it received such a low review. I might give this another chance if it receives a much higher rating after the whole series airs. But I’ve got a feeling this will turn out like Fractale.

Plenty of older and current shows to watch in the meantime.

42. wakka9ca says:

@Triple_R: well the reason each watch anime is different so it’s understandable. In fact, the reason for an individual actually change (some days I just need a good action series or a good comedy series too). For instance, Karas had Hollywood-style action, but the plot is a bit shaky… Same thing for the Appleseed movies.

“because I wanted to see the anime equivalent to a fun, action blockbuster Hollywood movie feel”

If you ever try to watch LoGH, GiTS:SAC or Natsume Yuujinchou don’t do it with that mentality. Needless to say, some people here are allergic to Hollywood action films too. Then again, to everyone his or her taste…

Guilty Crown right now is very nice action… indeed that cannot be denied. Also, it’s the 2/22 episode so it’s too early to decide. However, people do display a certain disappointment after the interesting premise and settings.

43. Puran says:

So… This was again generic… And yeah I’ll agree with everyone else that is (wishfully) thinking that the story may get more interesting and explained later. And I can also somehow try and forgive all the bad things in this episode… I could also pretend to ignore the yellow haired crazy bad guy (hey I just summed up his personality perfectly!) and pretend to believe that they are going to give him a believable background at some point.

I could also not mind the needless and out of place fanservice.

But the end was the last drop. A school setting and a transfer student?… Come… ON…

And to those that say be patient, it might get better, things will be explained/developed : Here is the thing. This series so far is BAD at hinting and foreshadowing things. It completely fails to intrigue, it actually seems it’s not even trying to. It’s “here is this guy, he is evil, now let’s move on” “There is some war, about a virus, now let’s move on”.

Other series do it right. They introduce stuff (characters/plot devices) that may seem stereotypical, but they somehow hint/promise that things will get more interesting. They often fail to actually do that, but the promise keeps me watching.

44. Breelik says:

its cool to me. i am sure it wont be as bad as naruto shipuden is now. i mean rrly wasting 30 episodes on stupid side stories. its okay for them to throw a side story in occasionally but not 30 episodes strait.

45. Anon-chan says:

I agree with you that the second episode is totally bad, I could not even stand watching it for more than 10 minutes without fast forwarding, the blond guy is weird as well, but if in the next episode the creator decided to get rid of him (i.e. bomb/suicide etc that is quick) it would be totally weird…I mean after he appears so many time and he died in an episode…ugh…

46. nexus says:

Ok this is high budget, fighting shonen. Epic visuals, poser characters etc.

If you like the genre, and you also like action based plots.

YOU WILL LIKE GUILTY CROWN,

Also the plot, characters, setting is CLICHE AS HELL.

But….

this is better, than your average shonen.

the Plot in shonen genre is not as important as other factors (some purist will eat me)

for a good plot, go watch legend of the galactic heroes. You will feel less mainstream.

I MEAN I ENJOYED CODE GEASS, IT WAS FUN and flamboyant. STILL IT WAS A SENSELESS TRAINWRECK. but an epic finale was worth it

Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.
I will listen to the podcast more in full later. But I was surprised after asking/suggesting it on the discord, that it came so soon.
I am thinking of re-watching gasaraki and ai yori aoshi.
@Niello: Perhaps after a while of watch the anime I will simply jump on to the manga.
I watched Resident Evil: Vendetta yesterday. It's incredible dumb but kind of fun. I do wonder if in terms of entertainment are like the best videogame based movies. Since it plays like a videogame, it's based on a videogame and is more or less in line with the tone the series has had for a while.
niello
It's such a shame that Golden Kamuy art direction is such a train wreck.
and for the sake of Clausewitz there is clinical term for what Reinhard did. It is called "defeat in detail". Napoleon was a master of it. Proper way to defeat it , is to order the threatened force to retreat to a point where other allied forces are converging. The enemy will either have to retreat, or fight at a disadvantage. The 1813 and 1814 campaigns against Napoleon are examples of that.
Episode 2 of LOGGH: Der Neue Thesis was much better than the first. The music is still an issue, but Yang was well portrayed. I do think there is lack of the directors in showing the cruelty of war, like the first one did. We will see.
@Mario: Still need to see his short films and black Peter.
@Anon: I already know the manga and enjoy it, think the anime is a good adaption so far. Feels good to see a series about video games that are actually just games and romance without tsunderes, tons of blushing or unworldly naive harem girls.
Anonymous2016456
the anime
Anonymous2016456
how do you guys think of wotakoi?
@Kaiser: Hereditary sounds pretty promising here
Forman's an interesting case, when you look at the huge disconnect from his early films from the 60s and then what he went on to make.
Ah, unfortunately I am not a fan of country music so Nashville didn't appeal to me =<
@Mario: And before Jack kept playing the same role over and over.
@Mario: Aside from Courtney Love's presence, Larry Flynt is an excellent film. I love the custom camera tricks Kubrick used in Lyndon , dog day afternoon suceeded for me because it did so much more than being just a bank rob film. I wish Spielberg would return to his pre-90s films .
Cuckoo's Nest reminds me of the great 1975 Oscar Best Picture, which for me was Oscar's greatest line-up. The line-ups for that year were: Cuckoo Nest (winner), Nashville, Barry Landon, Dog Day Afternoon and Jaws
@Kaiser: RIP the man. I've seen 2 of his, Amadeus and Cuckoo Nest. Both great but they were more because of the strength of the source
@Mario: Milos forman has died =<
Indeed the character designs in steins; gate have seen changes....shockingly mayuri's chest is larger than Daru's ;)
I can live with that. Interested to see what made you reserved.
@KTravlos: you won't agree with my series review then. I have a lot of reservations on VE
Also I finished Violet Evergarden. This was an exceptional series in my book.

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

9 years. It has been almost 9 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Darling in the Franxx – 10-12[The City of Eternity/Partner Shuffle/The Garden Where It All Began]

Three episode coverage this week as many things got in the way of my casual blogging, the much late preview being one of them. I must say that the last few episodes of Franxx have been quite strong as we have had a string of character development episodes which have really fleshed out the cast. […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]