Posted by psgels on 20 October 2011 with categories: Guilty Crown

This show is gorgeous, it’s directed by Tetsurou Araki (the director of Death Note and Kurozuka) and animated by Production IG. It’s bound to be action packed, and for those reasons I’m going to blog it. I don’t have any expectations for this beyond mere eye candy, though.

Here’s the thing: we’re in the middle of a very creative season, with continuations of shows with incredibly rich and imaginative settings (Last Exile, Hunter X Hunter, Fate/Zero), new series with really creative premises and purposes (Ben-To, Un-Go, Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki and even Phi Brain). And here this show comes with its superpowered teenagers, bland boy meets mysterious girl, stereotypically sadistic villains… and that’s pretty much it. Beyond the fact that it can shoot a good action scene and that this show looks amazing when it wants to, it just doesn’t have anything that sets it apart.

What I’m really afraid of is that this never really gets fixed. My big problem here is that this thing is written by the same guy who wrote Mai Otome and Macross Frontier (ignoring for a moment that he also came up with Seiko no Qwaser). Thankfully these first two episodes were not as bad as Mai Otome: this show is unremarkable, not bad, obnoxious and stupid. However, I’m more and more beginning to see this as the spiritual successor of Macross Frontier, but without the idols. It too looked pretty, but had a very weak story and bland characters, who never really seemed to know where they were going.

I was hoping for this episode to prove me wrong, but instead this was even more generic, due to the lack of quiet moments. First of all there are the usual questions: why do both the military and the rebels, despite having plenty of adults, depend on teenagers to pilot their mechas? If you have a reason for it: then that’s fine, but don’t just put some cute girls in mecha suits just for the sake of fanservice.

Also, the blond kid. Whose idea was that; seriously? This guy is the only actually bad character in this series so far. In every single scene, he’s portrayed as a psycho with a temper, even when there’s no reason for him to be so. I mean, the bomb girl in Mirai Nikki was psycho for a reason: she was risking her life in the middle of a truckload of explosives that she set up herself. This guy instead is like “muhahaha, I’m evil; bump into me and I’ll kill you!”

What’s more is that this show is too busy portraying its bad guys as assholes, rather than actually make compelling villains. The point where they killed those random civilians (who strangely were never mentioned again after their death; not even people mourning about them). What’s also bugging me is the existence of the female lead: why is she in this show, really? All she’s done so far is give powers to the male lead (which, according to what people are saying, can be done by everyone else as well). Oh, and appear in his school. Why was there a need to show that in the most cliched way possible?

However, what has also really bugged me so far: I’m seeing very little of Tetsurou Araki’s distinctive style here. I’m a fan of Death Note, Kurozuka and also that one story he did for Aoi Bungaku: the atmosphere and direction there were rock-solid, but they were nothing like what was shown here. This show needs to grow. Get rid of that psycho blonde and focus more on the characters without wasting time on pointless side stories or making the action too repetitive.
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. kivos says:

Haha fuck this stupid ass blog. No wonder no one comes here. Guilty crown shits all over un-go

2. Scruffy says:

I have to agree with you here. It’s very pretty and I absolutely love the soundtrack, but apart from that it’s just a random mecca show. This does not seem like a noitaminA show at all. To make matters worse it looks like from now on it is going to be set in the school.

3. mario2man says:

It kind of makes sense to be set in school to me. To get more and new weapons/tools he has to befriend more people.

4. Cytl says:

The MC powers makes me remember the Persona 3 game (relationships up = power up). Actually, If I remember right this anime is going to have a Visual Novel adaptation (maybe the setting will be more interesting to play than to watch).

5. KrazyKobun says:

I just think it’s really fun. Sure its cliched, but its entertaining. You can do much worse than this anime.

6. Firechick says:

@Kivos: if you don’t like it here, then leave. Nobody wants to hear you bully Psgels. And on the contrary, people DO come here. You’re just blind.

7. kivos says:

OK fine maybe I was a little to harsh and I apologize.

However what pisses me off is the way he went into the series expecting everything to be reveled in the first 2 episodes. Why do people do this? Or why do people do that? Well it doesn’t explain so I am going to get mad and bash the show. See that’s fucking stupid. If you even bothered to watch the previews for the anime you would have know that the first few episodes were going to be action packed. So getting pissed because of to much action is beyond ignorant. But hell at least we are getting action which is something I can’t say for f/z. 3 episodes in and not a damn thing has happened. The action, animation and use of music alone should have at least made this episode considered “good”, just because the story so far is a little bland doesn’t instantly make it disappointing especially when you consider this episode was just about the action anyway. Also you didn’t even mention anything about the OP. Why?

8. wakka9ca says:

@kivos: F/Z >>> Guilty Crown by far. There is something called “character development and richness” that is totally lacking in Guilty Crown right now. No charm whatsoever with any of the characters. This is far from the case of F/Z where nearly every character is fleshed out. Action is not what we are looking for in a long series like this. Likeable characters and intriguing plot development is more important than senseless action.

9. Hogart says:

GC feels like it’s taking the easy way out of everything. That really kills it for me, regardless of how lovely it looks. It’s tough to get into a show when it feels like I’ve seen it already.

Times like this I’m glad I don’t mind watching older anime.. it’s kinda interesting to compare two shallow shows from different eras then suffer through them one at a time.

10. Firechick says:

Maybe Guilty Crown wasted all of its budget on the animation and not the story and characters!

11. Hogart says:

@Kivos: ok, now I’m curious..

>he went into the series expecting everything to be reveled in the first 2 episodes

Where did psgels mention wanting everything to be revealed already? He alludes to wishing the heroine had more of a purpose, I guess?

>getting pissed because of to much action is beyond ignorant.

Getting pissed because psgels isn’t saying what you want him to say is.. well, you can figure out the rest.

Is it so difficult to just nod your head and say “Ok, that’s your opinion, and this is why I disagree..”?

I’ve gone on some tirades myself, but does Guilty Crown really deserve being defended this much?

12. Raggers says:

I have to say this:
    psgels has his own opinion that he shares with us, for free. Considering the vast number of anime he has watched, i think we can all agree he has a pretty good opinion. and it also makes me look at anime differently. I’ve not always agreed, but then whats the point of visiting a blog if you do?

and also, i have to thank psgels. I had almost given up on finding good anime when i came across this blog. Now i have no shortage of anime to enjoy, and i always read the blog after watching an episode.

if you want to hate psgels, please keep it to yourself. someone is giving up their time to share their love of anime with us. You are not being forced to accept it, or even read it for that matter. IMHO this is the best blog i have found, which truly takes a critical view and blogs episodes.

After that, i will get back to this episode. I liked it personally, not the best but still has potential, especially since it has 22 episodes. However, i think it may end up being open ended (like 07-Ghost) or have a rushed ending which pulls massive things from nowhere (No.6). If it can come up with a solid ending though, well built up, this could be a good series.

13. Hogart says:

@Kivos: after reading psgel’s Un-Go episode 2 post, I can see where you’d get the impression that he was hoping for more to be revealed (though I wouldn’t have read it that way at all if you hadn’t pointed it out).

14. c160 says:

Supporting psgels, I think this episode is really bland. Nothing too bad or offensive yet, but still bland. I can almost predict how the characters act and what they will say since I’ve seen the same scenario over and over again before.

The characters might have really deep background story that will be revealed much later on or maybe in the next episode, but the way that things are now, even I won’t have the patience to wait for it. The way things are now,it’s really just a typical coming of age anime. Sure the visuals are reaaaaaaaaalllllllyyyy pretty, but the way I see it, it’s the same scenes from those other bland animes, but just really pretty.

15. nandab says:

Just posting to say the same thing that happened to Raggers happened to me. I was feeling everything was too cliched and couldn’t find blogs dedicated to more serious anime (something other than naruto, bleach, harem/moe shows, etc) that just didn’t get any attention. Now, since my tastes are very much like psgel’s I always come to this blog to decide which anime to watch. I like the posts (they always make me look differently at anime) and many anime I have come to know because of psgels’s reviews. So, psgels, thanks! And keep up the good work!

16. Frost says:

Wasnt expecting anything from this other than the visuals so theres no disappointment to be found… Its pretty much like watching Avatar, you just dont watch it for the story/characters

And the transfer student cliche at the end… /facepalm good thing I really like Inori, I love her character design and personality seems to be my type anyway, so I can overlook this

Kinda weird they went with something like this for Noitamina though… It usually has the less mainstream/mature animes

17. AidanAK47 says:

Listen to wakka9ca, Kivos. True that Fate/zero hasn’t had much action in the past few episodes however the build up is pretty much done now and by god the stuff coming in the next few episodes makes this look like nothing. Besides action is the pay-off. It’s best done when the characters fighting are people who you can give a damn about.

18. Souther says:

Psgels does make some great comments, reviews and recommendations…but he also makes some questionable or plain wrong statements from time to time, so let’s try not to get all the praise get to his head. I don’t think he needs it. He’s a cool guy, but not perfect.

As for this show, I would say it’s an action series, first and foremost, and it’s definitely not trying to compete with Fate/Zero on any level.

Fate/Zero is a “closed” story based on a Holy Grail War that ended in a certain way. The novels were written already knowing how everything was going to end. The writer simply had the freedom to give the characters enough development and detail to fit in with what the F/SN timeline demanded.

Guilty Crown isn’t based on a game or novel, for one thing, so it lacks that wider context, and it’s paced completely differently, for another. The first two episodes have been focused on action and left expanded on everything else for later.

We barely know anything about these characters, not to mention their world, beyong the very superficial basics. That said, I’ll admit the content has mostly been stereotypical, but I don’t think this is a good sign of how the entire show is going to work.

I think it will become more interesting in time, provided you don’t come in expecting it to be something out of this world. If that is the case, then I’d expect to see psgels go back and retroctively take off points from almost every anime involving teenagers in situations beyong their regular existence. That kind of argument doesn’t really convince me.

19. Souther says:

At the same time, I’ll admit that this show wouldn’t be nearly as hyped or as popular as it is without all the celebrities and Production I.G.

20. Snowolf says:

I do agree with kivos, surprisingly, a little bit. I will say that psgels is being a little harsh and is asking for too much- it’s only been two episodes, so things like why a ‘teenage girl’ is piloting a mecha- I mean, why not? Why can’t it be teens? That sort of aspect is going to be answered later, I assume. And teens aren’t the only ones piloting the mechas- the first two in the first episode were piloted by adults. I will admit that the blonde dude was a total generic asshole, but once again- give it time. It’s way too early to condemn any sort of aspect on this show. I could understand if the show was regressing in terms of development- a lack of development may be criticized of course, but I don’t see that as something so detrimental to a show that has 22 more episodes to flesh things out. If we were on episode 7 and this was the episode format, then yes, I would be complaining, but heck, it’s only episode 2! Give it a little space. :)

That said, I completely agree that (ironically) this show is a guilty pleasure- I’m mainly watching it for the stunning animation and the excellent soundtrack/background music. Nothing has been fleshed out as of yet, but hopefully things will change soon enough, as we find out more about the characters and the power that Shu holds. So far I still can’t seem to hate either Shu or Inori despite them being extremely typical- they seem to hold something that makes them different. Inori’s silent strong will is something I see potential in, but if she truly is reduced to nothing but an object for passive-agressive male dominance, then yeah, I’ll be angered. Hopefully Shu will grow a set, but I do see reasons behind his whininess, and luckily, he’s not even annoying, so. I’m really interested in the wheelchair girl, and not interested in the subtle shots of fanservice. It’s a mix, to be honest. But to conclude: it’s only been two episodes, UN GO has yet to actually maintain a consistent narrative as well as flesh out its main cast, and that has 11 episodes, so. We’ll see. That’s all I can say for right now.

21. Gottis says:

I have to say I’m impressed with anyone making it past the first 10 minutes of this show. I know I didn’t. We have this omg!cute (I’m guessing?) chick running around, in need to be rescued. And this guy who looks like ‘ugh, I’m bored’. Well, No6 did it before and they did it better. >.> (No chick needing to be rescued for one thing, and Shion being more likable than what’s-his-name from the very first episode.) … That said, I still can’t forgive No6 for that final episode, but that’s another story entirely. (And before anyone asks, yes, I’m yaoi fangirl. Yes, I’m a fan of strong female leads. Yes, I’ve watched anime for 25+ years now. I’m no newbie.)

22. AidanAK47 says:

@Gottis, please don’t kick up another feminism argument.

23. VyseLegend says:

I think psgels is spot in about almost everything. The show is nice eye candy, but theres completely ludicrous moe fanservice, unexplained character powers and so far the main female lead has no real raison d’etre at all. Not to mention none of the characters has a genuine personality as of yet.

24. Enna says:

What is with people talking about feminism lately? Like, this past month or so I’ll see the topic brought up in the shoutbox every now and then. I usually don’t mind the topic itself, but it’s getting really annoying seeing people argue/debate about/even mention it at this point. Can we please just drop it?

But moving on. In regards to this episode, I have to agree with psgels. I still don’t think I can truly get into it. I tried, but it feels like a chore. The male lead doesn’t have much that makes him stand out, or any of the other characters for that matter. The small bits of fanservice annoyed me. The plot so far doesn’t feel fresh, engaging, anything. I’ll give it one thing, though, the visuals are pretty–but not enough to keep me watching.

25. Denizen says:

The way I see it there is room for improvement, but little chance.
    All the tools for something great are there, they just won’t be used.

In regards to the dead people, I assumed Pink-hair girl was singing for them, what with the Funeral Parlor’s mention of remembering the dead, but eh.

This show has got the art and concept down perfectly so it would be a shame to see it get bogged down under the same failures of bad writing and undeveloping characters.

26. fathomlessblue says:

I can think of two reasons why the female lead is in the show…

27. AKI says:

Ah, Production IG, you were great once, stunning visuals and all. Remember World Destruction and Eden of the East?

28. Addictd says:

I already have speculations for what this show is going to turn into…and damn, if I’m right, it’ll be good. But that’s just hoping since it IS a noitamina show…

29. Kim says:

Inori showing up at Shuu’s school was actually the best part of the whole episode….why?

Because it was the first time I don’t have her boobs and butt flashed at me every second.

30. kazid33 says:

I am whit psgels in this show, I give five or six more episodes to see if this show deserves something. Also this season have a lot of very good series, Personally I like Fate-Zero, Persona 4, Hunter X, Mirai N, Bento and Chihaja But i want to give this show an oportunity. Also I am whatching Idolmaster, I dont know why … yet, jeje.

31. Interstella5555 says:

@kivos lol nobody visits this blog huh look at all the responses to you. Nobody is forcing to his opionion if you can stand the heat GTFO.

32. synkronized says:

Well, at least Kivos really fired up all of folks that visit this sight.

I agree with psgels. The series animation is very beautiful but the story and characters blow. They’re 1 dimensional, cliched characters. The leader of Morgue Autopsy, or w/e the resistance group’s named, has the tired persona of Light and Lelouche. This makes his foresight/strategic abilities near perfect and kills any dramatic tension. Is it really that hard to portray leaders like Game of Thrones or Battlestar where brilliant tacticians fuck up and show how good they are by improvising and making the most of a bad situation?

On a side note I get really sick of Japan and US series where they always play the victim. For Japan it is the US, for the US they fantasize and wank off to Soviets invading our shores.

33. Flawfinder says:

Well, I’ve heard rumors that the next few episodes will focus on character development, so maybe I’ll actually give a crap about them. If this show turns out to be like Cameron’s Avatar, I’m going to be disappointed. I didn’t hate this episode, but it was not very good, plus the ending was painful.

34. Jellyfish Marine says:

@Gottis Oh mine, I can’t see Inori as a damsel in stress at all. Considered what she had been through before the fight broke out, it would have been so unrealistic if she could still fend herself.

I agree with most of the comments here; characters and story are pretty generic to the point that it is not hard to predict the future major event or plot twists. On the other hand the visual and delivering are real good (at least for me). Also, usually I really hate anything fanservice, but I have to admit that this show does it so well that kinda made me went dokidoki and flustered >///

35. gracie says:

i usually don’t criticize new shows too much, but MAN, this show felt /really/ uninspired. a few years back my sister and i created an anime plot called “the most stereotypical anime ever,” where we made up a show with the most cliched stereotypes we could think of, down to the engrish name (“it has to be something in english, but make no semantic sense!”). fast forward a few years and apparently someone has stolen our ideas and made guilty crown. i made my sister watch it, and we both cracked up over how it followed almost every animation cliche to a t. oh well. i would actually watch it for the pretty eye candy, but the main heroine annoys the crap out of me. :

36. Dr. Pest says:

Hm. I like Guilty Crown far more than Un-Go. The story itself isn’t something worth to be mentioned, but imo it’s pretty entertaining. Even TTGL (one of my top 5) was great because of the emotions and entertainment, not because of the story. With Un-Go it’s, for me, somehow reversed. The stories are ok but it didn’t amuse me so far. But I have to mention that I also don’t really like episodic series (besides 2-3 – Mushishi for example – so far).

37. totoum says:

I think poor psgels is suffering from post sacred seven trauma syndrome.

I actualy find GC’s first two episodes much better than SS’s so I fail to see why psgels is so down on GC while he was optimistic about SS (in the beginning)
    I also fail to see what’s creative about phi brain,yes it uses puzles,that’s it the rest is pretty darn standard (including the vilains)

I actualy was surprised by the ending,I fully expected Shu to shake Gai’s hand,everything had been build up for it,yet he didn’t.

38. Souther says:

@synkronized:

Consider that there are many stories where the U.S. is either the hero or the victim, so why can’t Japan do the same from time to time?

As for Gai being exactly like Light or Lelouch, I don’t think that’s fair. Light was crazier and had a god complex, for one thing, and Lelouch showed more emotion.

In fact, both of them screwed things up from time to time, so they aren’t “perfect” strategists like your description goes. Gai seems perfect now, I agree that’s a bit boring, but I imagine he won’t be like that the whole show.

39. Suzushina Yuriko says:

wall of text incoming

Yeah, surprisingly, I also agree with kivos just a little. It’s episode 2 – why are you questioning the existence of the female lead and complaining about the blond kid when the show’s barely even started? If you’re complaining about lack of character development, then at least wait until maybe the show is half over before doing so. As it is, your opinion is a little unfair.

I saw this kind of comment over at Mirai Nikki episode 2 too, when you said Minene was portrayed as a psycho bomber and not much more. She was just introduced – do you really want her story to be crammed into the episode the minute she appears?

About the blonde kid – is it really so hard to accept that there are completely corrupt and spoiled people in this world who like causing people pain for no reason? He seems to go berserk only when people try to touch him as well, so that could be important for later. Like with Minene, he was just introduced – give him some more time before judging him.

It appears your judgment of show is mainly based on how original it is and you appear to dislike common anime tropes. Like Divine at RandomC said:

“I realize some people feel very strongly about originality and perceive it as a fundamental flaw if a premise doesn’t offer anything new, but I fall into the group that likes to look at every new show individually to see what it has to offer with its own version of an existing idea. After all, “original” is all relative. If we were to shun every new show because it features something that’s been done before, we would never have another show with robots, zombies, and whatnot, which may be fine for those who have seen their fill, but would completely neglect those who are just getting into them (i.e. younger generations). They’re classified as tropes for a reason, which is somewhat akin to genres except at a sub-series level.”

Although I do agree a little with kivos, I do not agree with how he said it. Insulting someone else’s site and opinion is very rude, and I especially dislike that little comment on fate/zero since it’s probably my favorite show airing asides from Mawaru Penguindrum. Guilty Crown and fate/zero are two entirely separate stories with different genres and plot presentations. Comparing them is kind of pointless.

40. Triple_R says:

Honestly, I agree with kivos more than I do pgsels or wakka9ca, when it comes to Guilty Crown and Fate/Zero. Kivos admittedly could have been less blunt in his first post, but he did apologize and I can understand why he’s peeved.

Given the insane praise that Fate/Zero is getting give that it’s first episode was basically a double-sized exposition dump, and given the hate Guilty Crown is getting in spite of two visually GLORIOUS episodes, I have to wonder if some people here are allergic to good action scenes.

It is perfectly 100% legitimate to watch shows primarily for the action. That is the main reason I started watching Guilty Crown and Fate/Zero, because I wanted to see the anime equivalent to a fun, action blockbuster Hollywood movie feel.

4 Episodes worth of content in, and so far Fate/Zero has shown no real action aside from Gilgamesh curbstomping an Assassin. It was a nice scene, but it’s not much.

2 episodes in, and Guilty Crown is delivering great action scenes in flying colors.

As pgsels himself alluded to, there’s been plenty of intellectually deep anime this year with unusual premises and casts… so what’s wrong with having something that’s a simply stupendous sexy action-packed thrill ride that you can enjoy on the level of pure spectacle? Variety is the spice of life, is it not?

Pgsels rating this episode “Disappointing” is frankly ridiculous. The artistic/animation quality of this episode alone deserves better than that.

It does a real disservice to the considerable effort that Production I.G.’s animators obviously put behind this episode to judge it “disappointing”.

41. Arisu says:

I watched the first episode, thought it’s one of the most uninspired, boring shows I’ve watched this year. Granted, I only watched new series that gets a high review on anime blogs I trust like this one. Anyway, I don’t feel any urge to give this one a chance after it received such a low review. I might give this another chance if it receives a much higher rating after the whole series airs. But I’ve got a feeling this will turn out like Fractale.

Plenty of older and current shows to watch in the meantime.

42. wakka9ca says:

@Triple_R: well the reason each watch anime is different so it’s understandable. In fact, the reason for an individual actually change (some days I just need a good action series or a good comedy series too). For instance, Karas had Hollywood-style action, but the plot is a bit shaky… Same thing for the Appleseed movies.

“because I wanted to see the anime equivalent to a fun, action blockbuster Hollywood movie feel”

If you ever try to watch LoGH, GiTS:SAC or Natsume Yuujinchou don’t do it with that mentality. Needless to say, some people here are allergic to Hollywood action films too. Then again, to everyone his or her taste…

Guilty Crown right now is very nice action… indeed that cannot be denied. Also, it’s the 2/22 episode so it’s too early to decide. However, people do display a certain disappointment after the interesting premise and settings.

43. Puran says:

So… This was again generic… And yeah I’ll agree with everyone else that is (wishfully) thinking that the story may get more interesting and explained later. And I can also somehow try and forgive all the bad things in this episode… I could also pretend to ignore the yellow haired crazy bad guy (hey I just summed up his personality perfectly!) and pretend to believe that they are going to give him a believable background at some point.

I could also not mind the needless and out of place fanservice.

But the end was the last drop. A school setting and a transfer student?… Come… ON…

And to those that say be patient, it might get better, things will be explained/developed : Here is the thing. This series so far is BAD at hinting and foreshadowing things. It completely fails to intrigue, it actually seems it’s not even trying to. It’s “here is this guy, he is evil, now let’s move on” “There is some war, about a virus, now let’s move on”.

Other series do it right. They introduce stuff (characters/plot devices) that may seem stereotypical, but they somehow hint/promise that things will get more interesting. They often fail to actually do that, but the promise keeps me watching.

44. Breelik says:

its cool to me. i am sure it wont be as bad as naruto shipuden is now. i mean rrly wasting 30 episodes on stupid side stories. its okay for them to throw a side story in occasionally but not 30 episodes strait.

45. Anon-chan says:

I agree with you that the second episode is totally bad, I could not even stand watching it for more than 10 minutes without fast forwarding, the blond guy is weird as well, but if in the next episode the creator decided to get rid of him (i.e. bomb/suicide etc that is quick) it would be totally weird…I mean after he appears so many time and he died in an episode…ugh…

46. nexus says:

Ok this is high budget, fighting shonen. Epic visuals, poser characters etc.

If you like the genre, and you also like action based plots.

YOU WILL LIKE GUILTY CROWN,

Also the plot, characters, setting is CLICHE AS HELL.

But….

this is better, than your average shonen.

the Plot in shonen genre is not as important as other factors (some purist will eat me)

for a good plot, go watch legend of the galactic heroes. You will feel less mainstream.

I MEAN I ENJOYED CODE GEASS, IT WAS FUN and flamboyant. STILL IT WAS A SENSELESS TRAINWRECK. but an epic finale was worth it

And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.
*Looks at 3-gatsu screenshot*
Hina =< ; _ ; QmQ *cry**tears*
I am reasonably satisfied with how the houseki manga is in its latest chapters, coming together and the answers it gave.
@Nielo: wow, thanks. I'll definately pay more attention to that. Love to pick up those little details like that so I'm all ears if you pick up something else
I noticed that discord button. If more show up on it I'd consider joining it.
@Amagi: What will happen is that I'll end up marathoning it when more episodes get released, much like I did with first. The guy from the first series (Germain his name was) was a hard act to follow , so far I do think this is more enjoy than the little of the second season I saw.
SuperWooper
LOL, thanks for catching that.
@Wooper: I always enjoy "deep-friend" chicken as well. Tasty, taysty

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 25/26 [June/Ladybug Bush/Feelings]

During the bizarre cold open of this makeshift two-parter, the thought flashed across my mind: are we getting one last bit of frivolity before the other shoe drops, or is wackiness the new normal for 3-gatsu? Over the last couple weeks, we’ve witnessed a lot of exaggerated behavior from characters like Hiyashida-sensei, Nikaidou, and even […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100