Posted by psgels on 27 October 2011 with categories: Guilty Crown

Seriously, what is this show doing in Noitamina? I mean, if this was going to be an experiment for another 2-cour series, there would have been much better series for that: Chihayafuru, Fate/Zero or even Last Exile.

I know that series need time to build up. I’m not expecting series to immediately deliver right from the start. Instead what I’m looking for in the opening episodes of a series is hints that it knows what it’s doing: hints that it knows what good storytelling is, that its characters are well acted. Those kinds of things. I’m not seeing them here.

In fact, this episode showed even more that this show is wasted potential. There are two main reasons for that. First of all, this episode shows the main character running around and drawing weapons out of everyone. In the end, this just turns out to be him random props out of people and moving on to the next. This show doesn’t do anything with them. Or, take the point at which the male lead and his best friend make up and promise each other not to tell about each other’s secrets. The main character conveniently tells him that he did that, instead of the creators showing how he did it. It’s a pretty big point here, as only second later it turns out that the friend did screw him over in the end. That’s just lazy storytelling.

And yeah, then there was the fact that this episode was full of cliches. I mean, even Fractale wasn’t this bad. The fanservice was incredibly pointless, the jokes were the same you see everywhere (and of course the same old boob joke couldn’t be missing). Oh, and why did the female lead move in with the male lead again? I mean, what exactly has she actually done in this series? She’s been completely useless so far!

There really isn’t anything that really stands out in this series. The whole drama around Shu’s friend is very inconsistent: on one hand we have these terrorists who know perfectly well that they will be tortured to death if they get caught, and they act surprisingly calm to one of their comrades (who has vital information and weapons for their plans) gets too naive and gets caught. Shu meanwhile is a wimp in the bad way. To compare him with Mirai Nikki: there the lead is a wimp, but he knows he’s a wimp, and at the same time he has legitimate reasons for trying to survive. Here, I have no idea what it is that the male lead wants. On one hand he wants to be left alone, then he wants to help the terrorists again, but then he’s too scared to look people into the eyes… he doesn’t really seem to understand the situation he’s in.

The thing is also that I praised the first episode for looking gorgeous. The thing is, that even in this area this show can be eclipsed if it isn’t careful. Last Exile is well on its way to show better graphics than this series, Un-Go is well on its way with much better artistic direction, and the same goes for Chihayafuru. This show has the budget. It has the inbetween animation, but it doesn’t seem to want to do anything with it.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. Interstella5555 says:

This show is beyond generic it’s not even funny it offers nothing to me. I want to drop it but I can’t shake the feeling it has potential.

2. nexus says:

The episode started out so so but ended up good. This episode is actually getting better reception then the previous one from pretty much every where else but here.

Can’t wait to see how he gets out of this shit. I still think you need to chill and stop being so hard on the series. I am watching a lot of shows this season but this show,f/z and mirai nikki are the only shows I look forward to on a weekly basis. Un-Go is doing a pretty terrible job trying to tell mystery stories. I can see why it only got 11 episodes while gc is getting 22.

3. Kivos says:

The only thing lacking here is this guys taste.
    Un-go= A joke
    Last Exile= Boring
    Chihayafuru= Generic drama.

Also I guess you must have no friends, reason I say that is because if you have a really close friend that you think you can sit down with and discuss serious stuff with him and laugh about it then you also wouldn’t expect him to betray you in such a way. The backstabbing part was well done in that since.

4. Flawfinder says:

@nexus This is getting a better reception? Really? I’ll have to look into that later and see why, as I can’t see it. The only thing that was kind of cool was the cliffhanger, but the events leading up to it were terrible, and the only thing it accomplished was making me want to see the next episode because it can’t be worse than this.

This episode, in addition to being boring, was ungodly annoying. The entire scene with the boob grab didn’t make any sense, the comedy was predictable, the characters are beyond cut-outs, and the stuff with Yahiro was just lazy. Where’s the story? Where’s the character depth? I mean, did the writers turn their brains off or something? Give us a reason to care about what’s happening you damn anime!

5. Interstella5555 says:

@Kivos stop being so childish attack the argument not the person. You can’t make a decent argument so you resort to petty insults. If you don’t like this site so much then leave get over yourself. It’s one thing to criticize which is fine but don’t go on a angry tantrum.

6. Guest says:

Shu’s friend calls him a moron, and then Shu is still moping about it when he’s on the train (something like “Doesn’t he think I’m sensitive about what people say too?”). Played straight, not ironically or for lols. What a loser.

Inori is a comically bad idea for a leading lady: she’s clearly got some kind of “I’m already-dead” complex, and dear old Shu brought her back to life when he pulled out that sword.

This show is actually well into so-bad-it’s-good range. I hope it goes further that way and doesn’t settle into mediocrity.

7. Guest says:

Also it’s pretty obvious how it got onto noitamina: on paper it’s like the best elements of all the popular genres and done by a lead staff with a solid pedigree. Greenlit, end of story.

8. Silty says:

What’s the difference between this show and Blood-C? Why was Blood-C given more of a chance?

9. Firechick says:

Psgels, I think you should drop Guilty Crown while it’s still generic and dumb. For your own safety.

10. Puran says:

Blood c had a pretty cool atmosphere. Guilty Crown has…. Nothing? This episode didn’t even try to have any interesting visuals.

11. Stark says:

Why is everyone so tsundere for Guilty Crown?

On My Anime List it’s the most watched show of the season.

On the most popular streaming websites it gets the most views each week.

The opening on youtube got 250k views in 5 days before it got taken down.

You people need to be honest with yourself and just admit that your enjoying this.

12. Chris says:

^ Just because something is popular does no mean it’s good.

13. Stark says:

@Chris Yes I am very well aware that popularity doesn’t = quality but for some reason for all the hate it gets people continue to watch it. If you didn’t like this episode I advice you just drop it.

14. Stark says:

advise* >.>

15. AidanAK47 says:

I don’t know Stark. I too think this show is wasted potential. But god knows I am probably going to watch it to the end.

16. Flawfinder says:

@Chris I’m continuing to watch it because I’m trying to convince myself that it’s suffering the same problems Eureka Seven had. Also, I refuse to believe that something so hyped, along with a great studio and creative writers, can generate a letdown.

17. Chris says:

@Stark: I guess we just have another Blood C on our hands! :p

I think the reason the show gets so much attention is because there really are some anime fans who just prefer the better looking and less experimental shows. Many new and young anime fans need something to ease them into the medium and Guilty Crown is a good way to start. People who hate it may be vocal about it, but I doubt most of them are following it.

18. ShyBlue says:

Guilty Crown sticks with the most generic storyline possible along with sorely out-of-place fanservice, flat characters, and every stereotype for a shounen anime that has ever come into existence. It’s so bad, it’s laughable. I enjoy GC greatly by laughing at just how insipid and shallow it is. But I just really don’t understand those who consider it the new masterpiece of the season.

Honestly, despite all of Un-Go’s detractors, Un-Go is probably my favorite show this season. The direction is a little bit shaky, the mysteries are crammed into single episodes, and the characters are all likeable, but not very interesting. LOADS of flaws. But you know what? It actually tries to do something interesting by re-inventing the detective murder genre. If anything, it doesn’t adhere to the tried and true and does all sorts of new interesting things. This element is completely lacking in Guilty Crown.

I honestly can’t understand the people who rave about GC and glossing over all of its painfully apparent flaws while taking Un-Go and nitpicking at every little detail that it doesn’t do perfectly. I mean, seriously?

19. Snowolf says:

I’m pretty sure that most people around here like me are just watching this show for the pretty, and not the plot, because god, I haven’t seen anything this dull in noitaminA since….I don’t even know.

@Stark: I think psgels is watching it mainly because he still has some hope (I stress some) for the plot and he also enjoys the animation? But like he said, if it continues down this path not even the animation can be a reason alone and he’ll probably drop it.

But yeah, I’d say my situation is pretty similar to Interstella’s at the moment.

20. Souther says:

Well, I still believe there are way too many complaints and too much exaggerated cynicism here, for something like Guilty Crown that’s nothing more than a generic action show with good production values. You’re expecting too much.

But at the same time…I also think this series isn’t really convincing me to keep watching, so even if my complaints are far less hyper-critical, I’m not sure I can stand it either.

21. Puran says:

@Stark: Well, last week people were saying keep watching it’s too soon to judge it!… So anyway I am dropping it. I might pick it up again if some miracle happens and it suddenly goes towards an interesting direction.

22. HyperSauce says:

i think people have varying opinions. some people like it and some people don’t. i, myself, am not hating it, but do think it’s disappointing so far. i do hope it improves and moreso believe that it will. it is clearly trying to diverge (although only slightly) from the norm. shu didn’t join the undertakers and the end of this episode was also unexpected and clearly a catalyst for future events. the universe seems interesting enough so i’m going to keep watching this.

23. Interstella5555 says:

@Stark Ok so you know popular doesn’t equal quality why did you bring it. You also talked about it’s numbers that in it’s self make you a hypocrite. Not everybody has the same regards for the anime YOU like. I’m a hater because someone is more critical and looks at the bigger picture. If thats the title someone want to give more or anymore so be it know that you are wrong. Also I watch because I want to truly see where this is going. I want to see if it picks and gets better HERP DERP.

24. Stark says:

@ Interstella5555 oh wow bro…talk about kivos acting childish? What are you acting like?
    I was only bringing up it’s popularity because it surprises me more people are watching this then some other things.

25. Machi says:

@Chris: I think Flawfinder and you pretty much summed up the reason for its following. It has production behind as well as being ‘easier to access’ however the criticism against it is pretty unanimous, its not just a bunch of random hate of trying to find a flaw for it. Which is that its in the Noitamina.

Unfortunately, that slot carries with it a certain quality that so far Guilty Crown, after the first episode, has not been able to live up to. In addition the show was pretty well hyped so some are surprised precisely by the lack of risk that the show is taking. Some can see this as a good thing as you do in making a more accessible anime but really with the production crew and cast behind it WHY NOT take a risk? This again goes back in relation to the Noitamina slot which again is precisely a slot for more experimental anime or those that take risk or having quite a mature target audience, all of which Guilty Crown appears rather misplaced as of late.

So far with whats shown its been pretty ok to mediocre, can’t really say anything too conclusively at this point, but it just looks much poorer than it is because of the coveted slot it took.

26. Flawfinder says:

@Stark I guess that’s true. However, if I dropped things early, I would have missed out on a lot of my favorite anime series. If it was long-running, I probably would, but it’s not. And I have time. And as much as these episodes annoy me, I don’t regret watching them.

27. Guest says:

People hate wasted potential more than they hate outright suckage.

Guilty Crown is more of a “grossly wasted potential” show than an outright sucky show.

A few edits here and there, a few touchups and revisions, and it could be unambiguously solid so far. It’d be familiar but original within that familiarity.

Instead what we have is is stuff that’s a mix of lots and lots of tropes and cliches and yet none of it quite *works*, at least so far.

It’s this so-close-yet-so-far feeling that is drawing out the hate, especially since it’s getting that rare, special 2-cour treatment in noitamina.

28. Hogart says:

I have to stop reading the comments from GC’s “fans”. They’re doing a much more efficient job of making me NOT want to watch this show than psgels ever could.

I sincerely hope some of you guys (and not just on psgels’ blog) are reverse trolling, because otherwise it’s just sad. Kudos to those supporters who are keeping it civil.

29. VyseLegend says:

This show might get interesting. But right now it just feels like a practical joke.

30. mindkilla says:

While I agree that it is just a regular commerical anime, I’m still surprised at the harsh reviews here. Someone mentioned Blood C, which got good ratings here and was kinda boring and conventional as well. Well maybe psgels had bigger expectations so now he’s disappointed.

I still think it will get better.

31. cyshtoph says:

Where the hell is Kyuubey when you need him? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

32. Tiresias says:

I must say I’m very grateful that you (and several other sites) blog this episode – saves me the pain of actually watching it.

And now, I can drop it without regret. God knows how many animes with mixed initial quality I had ended up following since I thought “be patient man, sure there’s lots of bad vibes but it’ll be decent in the end. Probably”. As you can guess, they ended up poorly. That’s a lesson learned there; if your instincts tells you to drop it, you listen.

And while it is ultimately you choice, psgels, I think it might be better if you stop to, while you can.

33. Houlgrave says:

I’m going to disagree with the majority of you about Guilty Crown, but not on the point of its generic plot elements: rather, I think the present tropes are arranged in such a way that I’m actually interested in seeing what happens next.

But again, I think you lot are overstating the blandness factor in the first place. As far as yawnfest mecha series go, this is certainly no Fafner or Gundam Seed.

Secondly, the ending to this episode is actually well done. Shu is now going to be placed in a rather nasty situation that’s going to require him to grow a set in order to have any chance of returning to the life he wants.

Thirdly, give the kid a break as far as personality goes. Like many kids his age, he’s insecure, socially awkward, insecure, immature and also ignorant of how the real world works. But again, everyone has to start somewhere, so give the series some time to develop him into someone worth rooting for.

Of course, GC could bomb and I could end up eating my words, but this is one of those series that my intuition is telling me to be optimistic about. Until it proves otherwise, I recommend you all to do the same.

34. Mormegil says:

WTF is this doing on Noitamina.

35. mulligan says:

a hugely forgettable episode, and so early on in the series too! I was so ready to give GC a second chance if it manages to redeem itself from the rather mundane, formulaic story premise (afterall the production values is nothing short of spectacular for a 1/2 hr weekly tv production). such a shame :(

36. Flawfinder says:

@Houlgrave It’s not the fact that the kid is insecure and all that that bothers me. I like Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki after all. The problem is that in addition to being insecure and immature, he is boring. And to me, that’s the worst thing you can make a character.

Also, I don’t really give a crap about Noitamina and all that. I can even take genericness if the characters are likable. I can safely say that at this point, I hate them.

37. Kuro says:

Guilty Crown is babby’s first anime. It’s an inoffensive mainstream show that takes absolutely zero risks. It’s great for people getting into anime expecting something action packed, loud and simple. It’s effectively the anime equivalent of a hollywood blockbuster.

Which doesn’t make it “bad” as far as dumb fun is concerned. However it also won’t be memorable if it keeps up being so generic in every single aspect. What pisses me off is the people bashing good shows just because they aren’t generic action anime.

I’m tired of people bashing anything that isn’t a straight up action series.

38. CKSqua says:

noitaminA has we knew it is finished. While I wouldn’t discount the possibility of another “traditional” show (a la Usagi Drop) for variation, the mandate is to make commercial hits. Guilty Crown is an early example of a major effort, and the hope is to do really well in Blu-Ray sales.

The gist of it is that noitaminA shows aren’t getting the ratings they used, and even if they did, they’d still be unprofitable. Apparently, the advertising business has changed in such a way that high ratings don’t net money (I’d guess that external sponsors have shied away from any late night slot and/or the revenue system has changed).

39. Kamito says:

@Houlgrave Glad to see someone agree with me amidst all this hate. I have a feeling that this anime is good, and will get good soon for those who are bashing it. I’m betting we will get a glimpse of that in the next episode in how they deal with Shu’s situation.

40. Alec says:

I don’t find this anime bad, nor do I find it particularly good. But with such hype, this anime is a letdown.

Guilty Crown pretty much screams the word “generic”

41. Alec says:

Guilty Crown pretty much screams the word “generic”

42. Cletos says:

Guilty Crown is like a beauty woman who lacks any substance.

43. Tan-Tan says:

Lazy storytelling sums this up.

44. Diasen says:

Psgels, I think you are looking at the show as how you want it to be instead of what it is. I think you should stop blogging this one. It’s doing no good to either the fans of the show or the people who have hope in the show or you yourself. The only people benefiting from you blogging it are the haters of the show.

Anyhow, are you sure there is no other show you want to blog this season over this one?

45. Puran says:

@Diasen: What is Guilty Crown then? (I’m not ironic or something, I really want to know).

For example, comparing it to Ghost in the Shell SAC, is obviously wrong, because it’s not that kind of anime.

What should I compare it to? Or more precisely, what do I have to compare it to, so that Guilty Crown fares well in comparison?

46. KaZuHiRo says:

@Puran

Guilty Crown is Code Geass waiting to happen.

Seriously, this show just screams mediocrity all throughout its three episode. I kind of understand the bashing for this show because this is airing in noitaminA. Come on guys, this is noitaminA!! Had this show aired in a different time slot then I would have questioned all the “bashing” this show is receiving.

I’ll echo Guest’s comments: Guilty Crown is more of a “grossly wasted potential” show than “an outright sucky show”.

Well I’m still gonna watch and wait for that “glorious moment” that it will redeeem itself but I’m not keeping my hopes up. It pummeled down all my hopes underground. For me watching this is like I skydived and my parachute failed to open.

47. Killer says:

For your information… Shows like this are aired AFTER midnight in Japan and only Otaku or hardcore fans watch them. Why? Because Night slot is cheap and otaku are suckers who would spend their money for fanservice shows and merchandises. But they ain’t buying sh*t so of course the creators have to make them flashy.

Which means this anime is just another Otaku fanservice show with fancy animation and so called plot. All otaku dream of meeting a beauty, stay near her and surrounded by typical harem blah blah.

This is also the reason why there are so many crappy anime of whimpy guys + harem girls with th same cliche all over again in them. They are all drugs for the Otaku.

48. Snowolf says:

I’m not quite sure why people are so desperate to compare Guilty Crown to Code Geass- I’ve watched CG and while I’ve noticed some similarities I defnitely would say that CG made use of its plot while GC is in no way taking advantage of that.

The problem of Guilty Crown is inherently laid in its execution, not its plot. I have no problem with a generic plot- every show a year has one-but with three episodes and not a single reflection on any of the characters, or the storyline, Guilty Crown is wasting its time. Valuable, valuable time- time that UN GO on the other hand, is using well enough considering it has only 11 episodes. It’s like they’re trying to plug a high school drama, with slice of life, into a dystopian show. That just doesn’t work. Not only that, but lazy storytelling has refused to predominantly back up any sort of claims laid in the story- how on earth is a bunch of ‘shears’ related to the sort of person the classmate was? Why couldn’t it be, oh I don’t know- a knife, or a sword too? How on earth is Inori’s Void a sword when she is reduced to the most passive character in this show?

That doesn’t make Guilty Crown BAD, but it certainly makes it terribly disappointing, especially when they hyped it up so much. I can’t say I was expecting much, from the guy who directed HOTD, which was the most primitive of fanservice with a very basic plot, but nevertheless, GC has great animation, which makes it even a bigger shame, because it really is a sign of wasted potential.

49. psgels psgels says:

Snowolf: the reason why it’s easy to compare this to Code Geass is because some of the main writers of Code Geass are on board for this series.

Also, don’t look at Tetsurou Araki’s work with just High School of the Dead. That was indeed just Zombie Bashing and fanservice. He however also directed Death Note, Kurozuka and one of the parts of Aoi Bungaku, and that’s where he showed that he create an incredible horror atmosphere. That makes it all the more weird that Guilty crown has no atmosphere built up whatsoever.

50. Snowolf says:

Ah, yes, I understand- but I mean, in terms of plot, I don’t really feel a ‘Code Geass’ atmosphere here, at all. I mean, I do see similarities such as a government controlled Japan, and a boy wielding a mysterious power, with some mecha factors put in, but so far, GC and CG seem worlds apart in terms of execution, that’s all.

I didn’t know he directed Death Note/ a part of Aoi Bungaku! Wow, that’s even….more disappointing. I just don’t understand- why would you compromise such a wonderful budget of animation for lacking storytelling? :(

51. J says:

Wow, kivos is one nasty piece of work…

52. imredjimmy says:

Yay, Guilty Crown’s main problem isn’t that it’s bad, it’s that it’s very generic :S And for an anime with such a budget, I keep hoping that I’ll enjoy it in the long run. That’s why I’m watching it. I thought the episode was ok. Not good, not awful. It was obvious that the friend was the witness, I would have liked for him to not be a traitor and actually become part of the main cast. That could have been interesting….oh well.

53. Suzushina Yuriko says:

It’s a shame you dropped this, since I think Guilty Crown actually became a little better after episode 3.

54. Peep says:

Kind of late on this, but I just finished watching it and I have to say I’m very surprised at these negative comments about it. I’ve found the series to be pretty good, starting with episode one. To me, it’s sort of like a crossover between NGE and Mawaru Penguin. And it’s not quite about mecha, it’s about Shou with plenty symbolism in it (a bit more clumsy done than in Mawaru, but that’s expected), so I can see why it’s on noitaminA. And as someone else mentioned above, it plays with the tropes and that’s quite fun to watch.

All in all the show did had some rough edges, but in no way it’s bad

I liked Shou as a character, he has trouble to accepting himself, because he doesn’t “know” himself. He wants to change, but doesn’t know how and that’s pretty much realistic, imo, there are plenty people like that.

“Here, I have no idea what it is that the male lead wants.” <— because Shou himself does not know.

"he doesn’t really seem to understand the situation he’s in." <– bingo!

I do see a pattern of psgels not liking "wimpy" characters (see Accel World which has a similar character, ie someone who is also insecure), but oh well, each to his own.

Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.
Seems that it will be at its worst in the west, that said I'm living in Dublin in the east so I'll probably get away with a power cut for a while. Thankfully I'm not back in work until Thursday and I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.
Also Careful Kaiser, I hear we got a hurricane heading our way tomorrow.
@Kaiser, Can't say I do. I got into anime around the time it was getting put on the internet. And I only started buying anime when I got a job. Now I got a whole bookcase of Blu-rays.
@Aidan: Remember back in the 90s when we didn't have all region dvd players and everything got released on region 1?
@Kaiser, I checked though. Seems the screenings are strictly US for Heavens Feel. Sort of like how Grand Order isn't released for Europe either. Also took goddamn ages to get the Blu-Rays of UBW too. Aniplex just seems to hate us for some reason.
Dublin city university has/had an anime club.
These are all one time only things though.
@Aidan: Eh....on rare occasions the Eye cinema in Galway and the Lighthouse in Dublin do screenings . Eiretakon has re-formed as J-con in Dublin and they do screenings.
Playing Muv Luv Alternative and I just made it pass a certain infamous scene. Honestly...I thought seeing as I knew it was coming that it wouldn't hit that hard. But even after all these years...it still gives me chills.
@Amagi, Could be worse. There are no screenings in Ireland so the wait is a hell of a lot longer for me.
I'll likely be checking out Lu over the wall in early December.
I am really looking forward to that new movie from the Tekkonkinkreet guy and Heaven's Feel but both screenings only happen in February so this will sadly still take a while.
Aah, I just missed the only screening of In the Corner of the World at my local cinema (it comes as part of a film festival, guess I will watch the pirated version then). Thankfully they screened Firework anime so I'm going to watch it. Now
I intend to still give Dies Irea another chance. don't know if it's worth it thou
Maybe those kidscheated half of the way because no one can WALK faster than me :)
The animation continues to be quite poor and its only getting 15 episodes.
Though I could definitely have seen my German Ex offended by it.
Y'know I never even cared enough to think that people would be this offended by Dies Irae, it would be like being offended by the Naziploitation elements in hellsing . I find both far too silly to be in anyway offensive.
But in all seriousness, good that you keep up the exercise. I walk pretty much everywhere.
@Mario: Little fiends likely taking performance enhancing drugs, know to poison them next beforehand =P
Still finished in a first half but 35 minutes for 5km is something I wasn't to proud of. Damnit.
Well, just finished a running event. The race was just 5 kilometer so I was aiming to run all the way. Ended up walking 1/3 of the way and lose to some 12 year old kids... I'm getting old, really!
@Anon, That was a stupid move on their part. Still I prefer to judge a game based on the quality of the product and not outside circumstances.
yooka laylee is okay but i hate it because they removed jontrons voice
new Altair OP is better than old Altair OP. But old ED is better than new. Man I really am sad Altair cannot have the 100_ episodes of LOGH. Because of that they really have to rush the story to make the politics work, but at same time rushing it undermines the story integrity. Which is a pity. I really think if Altair had the LOGH treatment, it would be a stupendous tale of politics.
I got that with Yooka Laylee which I thought was a decent fun game. However the internet has determined it to be a flaming trash pile of a game. I even have a friend who never played the game but bashes it purely because it's so hated.
While I understand the point, and have indeed watched stuff both psgel and the current writers have not given a high score too, generally speaking our tastes are complimentary. In a world of scarce time and quite a lot of stress over things like work or relationships, I will take the cognitive short-cuts I can for my hobbies, and FOMO be damned! :)
That may actually be quite the common occurrence as internet opinion tends to veer to extremely positive or extremely negative. Something can't simply be good, it most be amazing. Somehting can't be passable either, it has to be garbage.
@Anon, I agree with that. In truth you can only really judge something when you have seen it yourself. I will even admit that mine and likely the others reviews of Imouto are a bit of Hyperbole. It's really not the most terrible thing I have ever seen. Actually I would say Dynamic cord was worse.
(i already found some nice things i would have neglected otherwise or deemed worthless based on reviews/seasonal previews etc)
So i concluded that even if those people were writing good reviews and had somewhat compatible tastes with me, were nice and intelligent people overall in the end it did not mattered that much. while others' opinions are helpful, my own taste is the only thing i can really trust. so watching everything it is
I used to chose my shows based on reviews from people i trust, this site included, but then i just started trying out everything and - shocking, i know - suddenly i liked things others did not. or vice versa, which were a possibility even before.
Thats why I only really watch/checked out things that piqued my interest. Was gonna do it anyways, so why not write about i
SuperWooper
Comprehensive sampling does have its benefits, though. Animegataris is a show I wouldn't have touched on my own, but it was quite watchable.
SuperWooper
@Kaiser, I agree that only the better-looking shows need to be previewed, but being a new recruit, I can't exactly influence the long-standing Star Crossed policy of giving everything a shot.
@anon1477190: that moment you mentioned about Kino losing her cool was good, but then they followed up on the obvious exposition about the couple which I felt was heavy-handed.
I bring that up mainly because I don't want to see any of the writers getting burned out/demotivated/having their time wasted.
Guys it must be incredibly time consuming to watch some of these obviously from the outset bottom of the barrel shows you know will be awful and you'll never cover, I doubt anyone would have complained if you didn't mention Imouto Ireba.
The ending was good, but leading up to it was sort of dull
Agreed on how Kino felt this week. What really got me though was how she held the gun. That bugged me in those pov shots
Eh, I'm not keen to go over old material, I'll just watch the new Kino stories.
@Mario: I get claustrophobic sometimes, so Haze by Tsukamoto Shinya was fucking un-comfortable =P
@Mario: Ganja and hess, Die Farbe, Texas chainsaw 2, shop of horrors and AM 1200 stood out best.
*I will admit that I enjoyed the ending bit a little more though. Something about Kino throwing that big rock was moving somehow, especially with how stoic she normally is, haha.
I was a bit disappointed by Kino this week. I actually enjoyed the original Colosseum, but more for some of the individual fights rather than the conflict with the main antagonist. So the speed with which they went through them wasn't my favorite thing.
@Kaiser: haha, sounds fun. Any good horror worth reccomending?
Tried doing that horror 30 horror movies in Autumn challenge thing, fun times but bloody exhausting.
I will finally be getting on to magus bride SOON.
Just try not to compare any of his works to yi yi and you'll be fine. Pity we lost him too soon.
I'm meaning to watch Terrorizers for quite a while now. You beat me to it again. So it's that good huh??
@Mario: I did end up re-watching terrorizers and finishing it this time, never ever have I bee so wrong to initially under-estimate a director or film, the second half massively improves the film and comes together perfectly.
@Mario: ...conditions are very hard to get right on screen, it almost ends up being horribly sappy. This is why when I saw Moon-so-ri's performance in Oasis I was so surprised by how excellent she depicted her characters disability, to where if I didn't know better I'd have sworn it was for real.
@Kaiser: and sometimes they take an "artistic liberty" to change the real stories to make it more dramatic. Case in point, I was so moved by A Beautiful Mind until I read it that the main guy doesn't have those issues in real life. Felt deeply manipulated
@Mario: Largely due to and not helped by the fact most biopics are over two hours long.
@Kaiser: glad you enjoyed Loving Vincent. I'm a bit worried about its story to be honest since it's a biopic and sometimes biopic can be so dry like a powerpoint presentation about someone's life
WE DEMAND THE 20 MINUTES BACK
Stupid imouto anime....bullying Aidan and Mario.
*their
Why must all artistic/creative be so out of there minds =<
@Mario: I saw Loving Vincent, I knew very little about the man himself before seeing, but this did an alright job of introducing the viewer to who he was, the voice acting/script is slightly stilted but in the end it works as a vehicle to get from one nicely rendered/animated scene to the next and its worth looking at for 90 minutes .
@Puran: that story from Kino was one of my least favorite from 2003 version. This week they changed quite a bit of details, most notably they speed through the gladiator fights. The result... well... average for me
That book seems to have a tv show adaptation.
I actually have been meaning to read Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel.. Might put it next on my reading list.
Puran
(and, I thought the old one handled the story much better...)
Puran
New Kino ep was a remake of a story in the old anime... It's really not helping me in trying to avoid comparing the two series.
SuperWooper
@KTravlos, you like Jonathan Strange? Good taste, my man.
I watched the Ancient Magus Bride OVA after your suggestions. It was very nice. A mix of Howl's Moving Castle and Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel. I will definitely follow this series. Thank you.
@Mario: lol I go once a week if I can.
@Mario: I suppose it would be more sand on glass animation: [link src="https://letterboxd.com/director/caroline-leaf/
@Travlos: I liked the Dragon Dentist. Loved its art but yeah the story is unfocused and the characters aren't those that I consider deep
@Kaiser: well, yep animation techniques can be really diverse and I did a good deal of research about them. For sand animation, do you refer to the sand performing art? I would love to see that type have a proper animation but there is a debate of whether or not it can be considered as "animation"
@Kaiser: haha you're lucky. Now that when I think about that, despite considered myself a film fan I haven't stepped to the cinema for 6 months now. Shame on me!
@Aidan: Is it possible to make it so we can alter our profile pages on the site, so as to be able to add a short bio or top ten list of our favourite shows/manga?
Ah, excellent loving vincent is showing tomorrow at my local cinema.
When you think about it, I love how varied animation can actually be....I've even come across salt and sand animation.
Nuuuu I missed my chance to see body and soul. I am very much looking forward to Kim-ki-duks new film.
@Kaiser: to be more exact, Petrov uses painting on glass. Loving Vincent will be painting on paper. But yeah, no real difference there
My god. Typo here.Russia is very *quick*. Yep, I'm looking forward for Loveless, despite its grim premise
@Mario: Aleksandr Petrov uses similar animation techniques.
@Kaiser: In the end of this month I will get around to watch On Body and Soul (which have great hype no matter where I read) and an infamous Chinese adult animation Have a Nice Day
@Kaiser: I swear Russia is really weak when it comes to their movies availabled in the high sea. Yep, if you can, watch Loving Vincent. At least the painting animation is a can't miss
@Vonter: i am looking for the Junti Itou's adaptations as well. But I think it most likely will be inconsistent. Just hope they manage to get the creepy feeling right
@Aidan: Itou has also worked on a non-horror manga called Yuukoku no Rasputin.
@Vonter, The thing that needs to be perfected is getting Junti Itou's artstyle animated. The thing that truly makes his works shine is the art. Still it would be nice to see an animated version of The Enigma of Amigara Fault.
@Mario: been delving further into Edward Yang, next is the terrorizers, Taipei story is a bit difficult to get into at first and it does feel like a trial run but it come into itself much better by its second half.
@Mario: There is a Russian torrent of The Loveless (2017) floating around, we may see this sooner than expected if it gets subbed. Also remind me, was it you that recommended me to see the animated film Loving Vincent?
@Vonter: I really hope they properly animate them as 20 minute episodes and not as 8-10 minute shorts with picture show animation.
There's gonna be an anime of Junji Itou's short stories. Hopefully since there's gonna be several instead of one story, one or two of those are done well. The CGI really took from the atmosphere in Gyo, maybe stories with less scope can be crafted with more care. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/09-1/teaser-site-for-tv-anime-junji-ito-collection-opens-for-winter-2018-premiere
I saw the Dragon Dentist. Interesting but weird. I felt like there were two shows in there. A great magic show and a great war shows, but forcing them together denied each its full potential.
KT here. Since Aidan is not the state, accusations of violating freedom of speech are meaningless. You have no right to his time or tolerance. You are giving too many chances Aidan IMHO. Ban and be done with it.
@Anon(FakePsgels), the only reason you can post again is because I only gave you a day ban. But believe me, I can make it much longer. Three strikes, try impersonating Psgels again and you will get a week ban. Strike three is a permanent ban. So just try it. Test me.
Lordish_Kvadratish
Somehow the site is good again :D. I had been visiting daily when Psgels was writing, and when he left I felt disappointed and stopped. And now I like it again for some reason. Good place on the internet. Thank You.
It's not like we need this site to survive mate, so get off his case
Aidan-kun....stop whining. You should be grateful you even get to use this site at all. Threatening to ban someone just because your mad is pure fascism.
That's something I wondered about as well. It would have been a good opportunity to change her costume a bunch of times. I am not a fan of characters always wearing the same stuff, especially if there is no concrete reason for doing so.
And I assume that everytime Nina transforms, she loses her clothes, right? So why the hell does she still wear the same costume afterwards?? Someone picked up for her no matter where she goes?????
The kill-arc makes sense narratively, but makes no damn sense logically (all the badass characters were there for Christ sake). Kaisar... don't even know what to feel.
Okay, trying to sum up how I feel about Virgin Soul now: I liked both Nina and Amira, the screwed up Charioce's character (remember he was a devil-hating fasscist who kills demons at sights or pit them against each others gladiator-wise). The cost of Nina's boice got me, not so much for Charioce's eyesight. My fav girl Rita doesn't have enough development
@Kaiser: Newer CG looks pretty good and I once hated CG. But Kado showed how good it can be and anime are constantly improving. Houseki has a lot of issues but the facial expressions are more than I usually see in anime. Can't wait to see how Inuyashiki is.
Yeah same here. I actually think they used this guy well, most anime don't have the balls to make someone evil for real and even kill him if he was a somewhat good guy at first. It's why that one scene surprised me and the death too. I was sure it was just one of these silly development episodes at first.

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 02 [Bath – Journal – Laundry]

Here’s for the most comfort food of this season. One thing you will notice when watching this show: despite its dark, post-apocalyptic settings, Girls’ Last Tour is a slice-of-life moe show at its heart. There will be no deep implication of the dark world, and those girls will not develop much by the end. But […]

Juuni Taisen – 02 [Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl]

A Battle Royale anime is something that have been done numerous times before: Mirai Nikki, Btoom!!, last year’s Magical Girl Raising Project… It’s such a delicious meal that it’s hard not to have fun when players try to outsmart the others or think of a creative way to kill each other. Juuni Taisen so far […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100

The Reflection – 12 [The Reflection]

Welcome to the final episode of The Reflection. This week is both the best and worst episode of the season, with highs and lows, in both animation and story. Rather than my usual fare of just walking through the episode bit by bit though, I am going to try something different. We are going to […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100