Posted by psgels on 27 October 2011 with categories: Guilty Crown

Seriously, what is this show doing in Noitamina? I mean, if this was going to be an experiment for another 2-cour series, there would have been much better series for that: Chihayafuru, Fate/Zero or even Last Exile.

I know that series need time to build up. I’m not expecting series to immediately deliver right from the start. Instead what I’m looking for in the opening episodes of a series is hints that it knows what it’s doing: hints that it knows what good storytelling is, that its characters are well acted. Those kinds of things. I’m not seeing them here.

In fact, this episode showed even more that this show is wasted potential. There are two main reasons for that. First of all, this episode shows the main character running around and drawing weapons out of everyone. In the end, this just turns out to be him random props out of people and moving on to the next. This show doesn’t do anything with them. Or, take the point at which the male lead and his best friend make up and promise each other not to tell about each other’s secrets. The main character conveniently tells him that he did that, instead of the creators showing how he did it. It’s a pretty big point here, as only second later it turns out that the friend did screw him over in the end. That’s just lazy storytelling.

And yeah, then there was the fact that this episode was full of cliches. I mean, even Fractale wasn’t this bad. The fanservice was incredibly pointless, the jokes were the same you see everywhere (and of course the same old boob joke couldn’t be missing). Oh, and why did the female lead move in with the male lead again? I mean, what exactly has she actually done in this series? She’s been completely useless so far!

There really isn’t anything that really stands out in this series. The whole drama around Shu’s friend is very inconsistent: on one hand we have these terrorists who know perfectly well that they will be tortured to death if they get caught, and they act surprisingly calm to one of their comrades (who has vital information and weapons for their plans) gets too naive and gets caught. Shu meanwhile is a wimp in the bad way. To compare him with Mirai Nikki: there the lead is a wimp, but he knows he’s a wimp, and at the same time he has legitimate reasons for trying to survive. Here, I have no idea what it is that the male lead wants. On one hand he wants to be left alone, then he wants to help the terrorists again, but then he’s too scared to look people into the eyes… he doesn’t really seem to understand the situation he’s in.

The thing is also that I praised the first episode for looking gorgeous. The thing is, that even in this area this show can be eclipsed if it isn’t careful. Last Exile is well on its way to show better graphics than this series, Un-Go is well on its way with much better artistic direction, and the same goes for Chihayafuru. This show has the budget. It has the inbetween animation, but it doesn’t seem to want to do anything with it.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. Interstella5555 says:

This show is beyond generic it’s not even funny it offers nothing to me. I want to drop it but I can’t shake the feeling it has potential.

2. nexus says:

The episode started out so so but ended up good. This episode is actually getting better reception then the previous one from pretty much every where else but here.

Can’t wait to see how he gets out of this shit. I still think you need to chill and stop being so hard on the series. I am watching a lot of shows this season but this show,f/z and mirai nikki are the only shows I look forward to on a weekly basis. Un-Go is doing a pretty terrible job trying to tell mystery stories. I can see why it only got 11 episodes while gc is getting 22.

3. Kivos says:

The only thing lacking here is this guys taste.
    Un-go= A joke
    Last Exile= Boring
    Chihayafuru= Generic drama.

Also I guess you must have no friends, reason I say that is because if you have a really close friend that you think you can sit down with and discuss serious stuff with him and laugh about it then you also wouldn’t expect him to betray you in such a way. The backstabbing part was well done in that since.

4. Flawfinder says:

@nexus This is getting a better reception? Really? I’ll have to look into that later and see why, as I can’t see it. The only thing that was kind of cool was the cliffhanger, but the events leading up to it were terrible, and the only thing it accomplished was making me want to see the next episode because it can’t be worse than this.

This episode, in addition to being boring, was ungodly annoying. The entire scene with the boob grab didn’t make any sense, the comedy was predictable, the characters are beyond cut-outs, and the stuff with Yahiro was just lazy. Where’s the story? Where’s the character depth? I mean, did the writers turn their brains off or something? Give us a reason to care about what’s happening you damn anime!

5. Interstella5555 says:

@Kivos stop being so childish attack the argument not the person. You can’t make a decent argument so you resort to petty insults. If you don’t like this site so much then leave get over yourself. It’s one thing to criticize which is fine but don’t go on a angry tantrum.

6. Guest says:

Shu’s friend calls him a moron, and then Shu is still moping about it when he’s on the train (something like “Doesn’t he think I’m sensitive about what people say too?”). Played straight, not ironically or for lols. What a loser.

Inori is a comically bad idea for a leading lady: she’s clearly got some kind of “I’m already-dead” complex, and dear old Shu brought her back to life when he pulled out that sword.

This show is actually well into so-bad-it’s-good range. I hope it goes further that way and doesn’t settle into mediocrity.

7. Guest says:

Also it’s pretty obvious how it got onto noitamina: on paper it’s like the best elements of all the popular genres and done by a lead staff with a solid pedigree. Greenlit, end of story.

8. Silty says:

What’s the difference between this show and Blood-C? Why was Blood-C given more of a chance?

9. Firechick says:

Psgels, I think you should drop Guilty Crown while it’s still generic and dumb. For your own safety.

10. Puran says:

Blood c had a pretty cool atmosphere. Guilty Crown has…. Nothing? This episode didn’t even try to have any interesting visuals.

11. Stark says:

Why is everyone so tsundere for Guilty Crown?

On My Anime List it’s the most watched show of the season.

On the most popular streaming websites it gets the most views each week.

The opening on youtube got 250k views in 5 days before it got taken down.

You people need to be honest with yourself and just admit that your enjoying this.

12. Chris says:

^ Just because something is popular does no mean it’s good.

13. Stark says:

@Chris Yes I am very well aware that popularity doesn’t = quality but for some reason for all the hate it gets people continue to watch it. If you didn’t like this episode I advice you just drop it.

14. Stark says:

advise* >.>

15. AidanAK47 says:

I don’t know Stark. I too think this show is wasted potential. But god knows I am probably going to watch it to the end.

16. Flawfinder says:

@Chris I’m continuing to watch it because I’m trying to convince myself that it’s suffering the same problems Eureka Seven had. Also, I refuse to believe that something so hyped, along with a great studio and creative writers, can generate a letdown.

17. Chris says:

@Stark: I guess we just have another Blood C on our hands! :p

I think the reason the show gets so much attention is because there really are some anime fans who just prefer the better looking and less experimental shows. Many new and young anime fans need something to ease them into the medium and Guilty Crown is a good way to start. People who hate it may be vocal about it, but I doubt most of them are following it.

18. ShyBlue says:

Guilty Crown sticks with the most generic storyline possible along with sorely out-of-place fanservice, flat characters, and every stereotype for a shounen anime that has ever come into existence. It’s so bad, it’s laughable. I enjoy GC greatly by laughing at just how insipid and shallow it is. But I just really don’t understand those who consider it the new masterpiece of the season.

Honestly, despite all of Un-Go’s detractors, Un-Go is probably my favorite show this season. The direction is a little bit shaky, the mysteries are crammed into single episodes, and the characters are all likeable, but not very interesting. LOADS of flaws. But you know what? It actually tries to do something interesting by re-inventing the detective murder genre. If anything, it doesn’t adhere to the tried and true and does all sorts of new interesting things. This element is completely lacking in Guilty Crown.

I honestly can’t understand the people who rave about GC and glossing over all of its painfully apparent flaws while taking Un-Go and nitpicking at every little detail that it doesn’t do perfectly. I mean, seriously?

19. Snowolf says:

I’m pretty sure that most people around here like me are just watching this show for the pretty, and not the plot, because god, I haven’t seen anything this dull in noitaminA since….I don’t even know.

@Stark: I think psgels is watching it mainly because he still has some hope (I stress some) for the plot and he also enjoys the animation? But like he said, if it continues down this path not even the animation can be a reason alone and he’ll probably drop it.

But yeah, I’d say my situation is pretty similar to Interstella’s at the moment.

20. Souther says:

Well, I still believe there are way too many complaints and too much exaggerated cynicism here, for something like Guilty Crown that’s nothing more than a generic action show with good production values. You’re expecting too much.

But at the same time…I also think this series isn’t really convincing me to keep watching, so even if my complaints are far less hyper-critical, I’m not sure I can stand it either.

21. Puran says:

@Stark: Well, last week people were saying keep watching it’s too soon to judge it!… So anyway I am dropping it. I might pick it up again if some miracle happens and it suddenly goes towards an interesting direction.

22. HyperSauce says:

i think people have varying opinions. some people like it and some people don’t. i, myself, am not hating it, but do think it’s disappointing so far. i do hope it improves and moreso believe that it will. it is clearly trying to diverge (although only slightly) from the norm. shu didn’t join the undertakers and the end of this episode was also unexpected and clearly a catalyst for future events. the universe seems interesting enough so i’m going to keep watching this.

23. Interstella5555 says:

@Stark Ok so you know popular doesn’t equal quality why did you bring it. You also talked about it’s numbers that in it’s self make you a hypocrite. Not everybody has the same regards for the anime YOU like. I’m a hater because someone is more critical and looks at the bigger picture. If thats the title someone want to give more or anymore so be it know that you are wrong. Also I watch because I want to truly see where this is going. I want to see if it picks and gets better HERP DERP.

24. Stark says:

@ Interstella5555 oh wow bro…talk about kivos acting childish? What are you acting like?
    I was only bringing up it’s popularity because it surprises me more people are watching this then some other things.

25. Machi says:

@Chris: I think Flawfinder and you pretty much summed up the reason for its following. It has production behind as well as being ‘easier to access’ however the criticism against it is pretty unanimous, its not just a bunch of random hate of trying to find a flaw for it. Which is that its in the Noitamina.

Unfortunately, that slot carries with it a certain quality that so far Guilty Crown, after the first episode, has not been able to live up to. In addition the show was pretty well hyped so some are surprised precisely by the lack of risk that the show is taking. Some can see this as a good thing as you do in making a more accessible anime but really with the production crew and cast behind it WHY NOT take a risk? This again goes back in relation to the Noitamina slot which again is precisely a slot for more experimental anime or those that take risk or having quite a mature target audience, all of which Guilty Crown appears rather misplaced as of late.

So far with whats shown its been pretty ok to mediocre, can’t really say anything too conclusively at this point, but it just looks much poorer than it is because of the coveted slot it took.

26. Flawfinder says:

@Stark I guess that’s true. However, if I dropped things early, I would have missed out on a lot of my favorite anime series. If it was long-running, I probably would, but it’s not. And I have time. And as much as these episodes annoy me, I don’t regret watching them.

27. Guest says:

People hate wasted potential more than they hate outright suckage.

Guilty Crown is more of a “grossly wasted potential” show than an outright sucky show.

A few edits here and there, a few touchups and revisions, and it could be unambiguously solid so far. It’d be familiar but original within that familiarity.

Instead what we have is is stuff that’s a mix of lots and lots of tropes and cliches and yet none of it quite *works*, at least so far.

It’s this so-close-yet-so-far feeling that is drawing out the hate, especially since it’s getting that rare, special 2-cour treatment in noitamina.

28. Hogart says:

I have to stop reading the comments from GC’s “fans”. They’re doing a much more efficient job of making me NOT want to watch this show than psgels ever could.

I sincerely hope some of you guys (and not just on psgels’ blog) are reverse trolling, because otherwise it’s just sad. Kudos to those supporters who are keeping it civil.

29. VyseLegend says:

This show might get interesting. But right now it just feels like a practical joke.

30. mindkilla says:

While I agree that it is just a regular commerical anime, I’m still surprised at the harsh reviews here. Someone mentioned Blood C, which got good ratings here and was kinda boring and conventional as well. Well maybe psgels had bigger expectations so now he’s disappointed.

I still think it will get better.

31. cyshtoph says:

Where the hell is Kyuubey when you need him? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

32. Tiresias says:

I must say I’m very grateful that you (and several other sites) blog this episode – saves me the pain of actually watching it.

And now, I can drop it without regret. God knows how many animes with mixed initial quality I had ended up following since I thought “be patient man, sure there’s lots of bad vibes but it’ll be decent in the end. Probably”. As you can guess, they ended up poorly. That’s a lesson learned there; if your instincts tells you to drop it, you listen.

And while it is ultimately you choice, psgels, I think it might be better if you stop to, while you can.

33. Houlgrave says:

I’m going to disagree with the majority of you about Guilty Crown, but not on the point of its generic plot elements: rather, I think the present tropes are arranged in such a way that I’m actually interested in seeing what happens next.

But again, I think you lot are overstating the blandness factor in the first place. As far as yawnfest mecha series go, this is certainly no Fafner or Gundam Seed.

Secondly, the ending to this episode is actually well done. Shu is now going to be placed in a rather nasty situation that’s going to require him to grow a set in order to have any chance of returning to the life he wants.

Thirdly, give the kid a break as far as personality goes. Like many kids his age, he’s insecure, socially awkward, insecure, immature and also ignorant of how the real world works. But again, everyone has to start somewhere, so give the series some time to develop him into someone worth rooting for.

Of course, GC could bomb and I could end up eating my words, but this is one of those series that my intuition is telling me to be optimistic about. Until it proves otherwise, I recommend you all to do the same.

34. Mormegil says:

WTF is this doing on Noitamina.

35. mulligan says:

a hugely forgettable episode, and so early on in the series too! I was so ready to give GC a second chance if it manages to redeem itself from the rather mundane, formulaic story premise (afterall the production values is nothing short of spectacular for a 1/2 hr weekly tv production). such a shame :(

36. Flawfinder says:

@Houlgrave It’s not the fact that the kid is insecure and all that that bothers me. I like Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki after all. The problem is that in addition to being insecure and immature, he is boring. And to me, that’s the worst thing you can make a character.

Also, I don’t really give a crap about Noitamina and all that. I can even take genericness if the characters are likable. I can safely say that at this point, I hate them.

37. Kuro says:

Guilty Crown is babby’s first anime. It’s an inoffensive mainstream show that takes absolutely zero risks. It’s great for people getting into anime expecting something action packed, loud and simple. It’s effectively the anime equivalent of a hollywood blockbuster.

Which doesn’t make it “bad” as far as dumb fun is concerned. However it also won’t be memorable if it keeps up being so generic in every single aspect. What pisses me off is the people bashing good shows just because they aren’t generic action anime.

I’m tired of people bashing anything that isn’t a straight up action series.

38. CKSqua says:

noitaminA has we knew it is finished. While I wouldn’t discount the possibility of another “traditional” show (a la Usagi Drop) for variation, the mandate is to make commercial hits. Guilty Crown is an early example of a major effort, and the hope is to do really well in Blu-Ray sales.

The gist of it is that noitaminA shows aren’t getting the ratings they used, and even if they did, they’d still be unprofitable. Apparently, the advertising business has changed in such a way that high ratings don’t net money (I’d guess that external sponsors have shied away from any late night slot and/or the revenue system has changed).

39. Kamito says:

@Houlgrave Glad to see someone agree with me amidst all this hate. I have a feeling that this anime is good, and will get good soon for those who are bashing it. I’m betting we will get a glimpse of that in the next episode in how they deal with Shu’s situation.

40. Alec says:

I don’t find this anime bad, nor do I find it particularly good. But with such hype, this anime is a letdown.

Guilty Crown pretty much screams the word “generic”

41. Alec says:

Guilty Crown pretty much screams the word “generic”

42. Cletos says:

Guilty Crown is like a beauty woman who lacks any substance.

43. Tan-Tan says:

Lazy storytelling sums this up.

44. Diasen says:

Psgels, I think you are looking at the show as how you want it to be instead of what it is. I think you should stop blogging this one. It’s doing no good to either the fans of the show or the people who have hope in the show or you yourself. The only people benefiting from you blogging it are the haters of the show.

Anyhow, are you sure there is no other show you want to blog this season over this one?

45. Puran says:

@Diasen: What is Guilty Crown then? (I’m not ironic or something, I really want to know).

For example, comparing it to Ghost in the Shell SAC, is obviously wrong, because it’s not that kind of anime.

What should I compare it to? Or more precisely, what do I have to compare it to, so that Guilty Crown fares well in comparison?

46. KaZuHiRo says:

@Puran

Guilty Crown is Code Geass waiting to happen.

Seriously, this show just screams mediocrity all throughout its three episode. I kind of understand the bashing for this show because this is airing in noitaminA. Come on guys, this is noitaminA!! Had this show aired in a different time slot then I would have questioned all the “bashing” this show is receiving.

I’ll echo Guest’s comments: Guilty Crown is more of a “grossly wasted potential” show than “an outright sucky show”.

Well I’m still gonna watch and wait for that “glorious moment” that it will redeeem itself but I’m not keeping my hopes up. It pummeled down all my hopes underground. For me watching this is like I skydived and my parachute failed to open.

47. Killer says:

For your information… Shows like this are aired AFTER midnight in Japan and only Otaku or hardcore fans watch them. Why? Because Night slot is cheap and otaku are suckers who would spend their money for fanservice shows and merchandises. But they ain’t buying sh*t so of course the creators have to make them flashy.

Which means this anime is just another Otaku fanservice show with fancy animation and so called plot. All otaku dream of meeting a beauty, stay near her and surrounded by typical harem blah blah.

This is also the reason why there are so many crappy anime of whimpy guys + harem girls with th same cliche all over again in them. They are all drugs for the Otaku.

48. Snowolf says:

I’m not quite sure why people are so desperate to compare Guilty Crown to Code Geass- I’ve watched CG and while I’ve noticed some similarities I defnitely would say that CG made use of its plot while GC is in no way taking advantage of that.

The problem of Guilty Crown is inherently laid in its execution, not its plot. I have no problem with a generic plot- every show a year has one-but with three episodes and not a single reflection on any of the characters, or the storyline, Guilty Crown is wasting its time. Valuable, valuable time- time that UN GO on the other hand, is using well enough considering it has only 11 episodes. It’s like they’re trying to plug a high school drama, with slice of life, into a dystopian show. That just doesn’t work. Not only that, but lazy storytelling has refused to predominantly back up any sort of claims laid in the story- how on earth is a bunch of ‘shears’ related to the sort of person the classmate was? Why couldn’t it be, oh I don’t know- a knife, or a sword too? How on earth is Inori’s Void a sword when she is reduced to the most passive character in this show?

That doesn’t make Guilty Crown BAD, but it certainly makes it terribly disappointing, especially when they hyped it up so much. I can’t say I was expecting much, from the guy who directed HOTD, which was the most primitive of fanservice with a very basic plot, but nevertheless, GC has great animation, which makes it even a bigger shame, because it really is a sign of wasted potential.

49. psgels psgels says:

Snowolf: the reason why it’s easy to compare this to Code Geass is because some of the main writers of Code Geass are on board for this series.

Also, don’t look at Tetsurou Araki’s work with just High School of the Dead. That was indeed just Zombie Bashing and fanservice. He however also directed Death Note, Kurozuka and one of the parts of Aoi Bungaku, and that’s where he showed that he create an incredible horror atmosphere. That makes it all the more weird that Guilty crown has no atmosphere built up whatsoever.

50. Snowolf says:

Ah, yes, I understand- but I mean, in terms of plot, I don’t really feel a ‘Code Geass’ atmosphere here, at all. I mean, I do see similarities such as a government controlled Japan, and a boy wielding a mysterious power, with some mecha factors put in, but so far, GC and CG seem worlds apart in terms of execution, that’s all.

I didn’t know he directed Death Note/ a part of Aoi Bungaku! Wow, that’s even….more disappointing. I just don’t understand- why would you compromise such a wonderful budget of animation for lacking storytelling? :(

51. J says:

Wow, kivos is one nasty piece of work…

52. imredjimmy says:

Yay, Guilty Crown’s main problem isn’t that it’s bad, it’s that it’s very generic :S And for an anime with such a budget, I keep hoping that I’ll enjoy it in the long run. That’s why I’m watching it. I thought the episode was ok. Not good, not awful. It was obvious that the friend was the witness, I would have liked for him to not be a traitor and actually become part of the main cast. That could have been interesting….oh well.

53. Suzushina Yuriko says:

It’s a shame you dropped this, since I think Guilty Crown actually became a little better after episode 3.

54. Peep says:

Kind of late on this, but I just finished watching it and I have to say I’m very surprised at these negative comments about it. I’ve found the series to be pretty good, starting with episode one. To me, it’s sort of like a crossover between NGE and Mawaru Penguin. And it’s not quite about mecha, it’s about Shou with plenty symbolism in it (a bit more clumsy done than in Mawaru, but that’s expected), so I can see why it’s on noitaminA. And as someone else mentioned above, it plays with the tropes and that’s quite fun to watch.

All in all the show did had some rough edges, but in no way it’s bad

I liked Shou as a character, he has trouble to accepting himself, because he doesn’t “know” himself. He wants to change, but doesn’t know how and that’s pretty much realistic, imo, there are plenty people like that.

“Here, I have no idea what it is that the male lead wants.” <— because Shou himself does not know.

"he doesn’t really seem to understand the situation he’s in." <– bingo!

I do see a pattern of psgels not liking "wimpy" characters (see Accel World which has a similar character, ie someone who is also insecure), but oh well, each to his own.

Customize
I am suprised SEGA didn't announce an Sonic movie and went with games like Altered Beast and Crazy Taxi, they probably could have just ripped off one story from the Archie Sonic comics and make an movie based on that, preferably the story where Sonic travels in the multiverse to fight an super powerful Sigma alongside Classic Megaman and Megaman X,Steet Fighter cast,Breath of Fire 3 cast and more
@Anon, A parody Grindhouse film actually could work. I consider Overkill the best of House of the dead. Thing is there actually is already a house of the dead movie so this would be their second attempt. The first attempt...lets just say it didn't work out.
And House Of The Dead: Overkill is probably the best game in the franchise to adapt, i mean, it has Isaac Washington in it and dude's awesome.
None of those games have much of a story, but at least House Of The Dead could make for an entertaining silly movie, i mean House Of The Dead: Overkill is freaking awesome and has silly cutscenes at the start and end of every level.
At most moonbeam city seems sylistically interesting.
Archer I simply lost track of and it ended up getting to long to catch up on it.
Relatively old news, although I've been joking with friends about what if scenarios for a streets of rage film. I know there is a cg/live action hybrid sonic film in the works. I kind of want to think a shinobi or streets of rage film could work if they went full on 70s style action film.
None of these games are played for the story. You would be better off just making a new game for them instead of a movie.
I haven't even seen Archer. On another note SEGA is planning a bunch of live action movies of their franchises and boy do they all sound like a horrible idea. Shinobi, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, The House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Streets of rage and Altered Beast.
@Anon522497: hmm, I found Moonbeam City underwhelmed and for Archer up until their last season I actually got a bit tired of the cast (couldn't finish that season 7)
If i wanted Archer i would just watch Archer or Moonbeam City like everyone else.
Bloodivores
Anyone here watching Pacific Heat? It's an Aussie Archer-ripoff aired in Netflix last week. I actually enjoyed the 1st episode, not that great but everyone panned it like a plague.
@Anon, Who?
#StephanieJaworowiczIsBeautiful
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that
Anyone here listen to Dire Straits? I just in the mood for their music lately. Checked out the band playing Telegraph Road live the other day on youtube and I was completely stunned.
@Lenlo: I considered Flip Flappers 3,5,6 to be its best so far so continue on to see if Flip Flappers is your cup of tea or not
For me I have a lot of stuffs to catch up on this time a year, both in terms of anime and in my RL. Time goes fast as hell
Started watching Flip Flappers. Thought I had it figured out, then we got Mad Max going on. I may start liking it more, cause the first 2 eps didnt do much
Its also nearing Thanksgiving in the states and end of semester for University, so those sorts will be busier than usual.
You are far too young to be reminiscing. You can build a place for a community but you can't force one to come. I for one would think it would be easier to form one if people stopped using the Anon tag. You can change your name with the customize button you know.
I remember a time when people other than site admins were regular posters. Those were the days...

occulticnine-09-4

Occultic;Nine – 09[Future Days]

The presentation of Occultic;Nine is starting to remind me of speed Racer, an anime from a bygone era which had a rather infamous dub. Basically due to the literal translation, the way which Japanese can say more with less words and the speed of dialogue it required the dub actors to say a large amount […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-10-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 10[Super-Hot! Back-to-Back Battle Events!]

I am really starting to dislike how this show is killing off the characters I grow remotely interested in while leaving only the dullest characters to carry the show. Don’t take that to mean I cared about the remaining twin angel that got killed off because her death was pretty deserved. But this cements the […]

drifters-09-3

Drifters – 09[Serious Bomber]

Drifters is at it’s best when the Orte are getting trounced and they are certainly getting a beating here. I could complain over how the Orte are one dimensional villains but after the master race bull and the concentration camp here they are quite literally Nazi’s at this point. Nazi’s are the one type of […]

3-gatsu ni Lion 08

3-gatsu no Lion – 08 [Image – Distant Thunder part 1]

We’re back with 3-gatsu no Lion after a week hiatus from sick leave (I know everyone got sick last week, be it in springtime in this corner of the world, or the start of winter elsewhere) and I’m glad that the show returns in good form. Kyouko might be the most distinctive character the show […]

Flip Flappers 09

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

occulticnine-08-4

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373