Posted by psgels on 18 November 2011 with categories: Mawaru Penguin Drum

@#$*!@#&!@!^&!!! I should have known! I should have bloody known! I’m not going to say why I should have known, but this episode just delivered a truckload of major plot twists.

The first big one was revealed, right at the start of the episode: Kanba has been in contact with his parents all along. They’re the ones who gave him the money to cure Himari’s illness. I also love the way this was revealed, taking a place in the episode where you really wouldn’t expect it, with\out any obvious build-up whatsoever.

The second big plot twist: they’re not real siblings. Holy crap. I mean, this is a twist that has been pulled many times before, but this show just got it right by not making this as shallow as the others, which nearly always boil down to “we’re doing this for the incest”. Save for perhaps the first episode, the three siblings in Penguin Drum really felt like siblings, who were especially close to each other due to what happened with their parents.

And just when I thought that this would turn into this strange love triangle around Kanba… it is revealed that the one who originally introduced Himari to the family was Shouma.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. kurini says:

this is like the biggest revelation! I’m still thinkin about it after 12 hours… Mawaru penguindrum is definitely the series that I can’t never anticipate!

2. jzar says:

You can always count on this show to surprise you. Can’t wait to see where it goes.

The scene with the rolling balls!! holy c@# that was just too fantastic. She didn’t get hit yet still it triggers her memory— simply delicious.

3. micaharu says:

i did not see that coming.o_O last episode,kanba told tabuki he has no clue where his father is even when himari was in such a predicament then bam! this episode revealed that he was secretly meeting with them.i don’t feel like i can trust him anymore.

what?shouma is himari’s fated one?not mario?after all the events and developement that took place your’e saying that the always useless shouma might as well be the most important key into all of these?

4. Snowolf says:

So the great thing was that I called the first two out- those were hardly a revelation for me (the Himari one was a bit off though- I had originally predicted that Kanba was the one who wasn’t related, not Himari)

But SHOUMA? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Everything has just been completely flip flopped. What is my brain thinking anymore.

5. Minnako says:

I sat through this episode with my mouth hanging open. Seriously, twist after twist, and now we feel like we’re finally getting enough background to start trying to understand things. Just…wow.

I love the way the parents were re-introduced, had to do a double-take. Kanba made talking to wanted fugitives look like the most normal thing in the world. I see major trouble in the different way the ‘twins’ see their parents, though.

Shouma!I wonder if HE remembers? Perhaps he’s only useless because he knows a whole lot less than most people here. I’d love to see if he gets hit with one of those blue balls (no pun intended :P). Guess that explains why Himari felt off as Shouma and Ringo got closer together. Though this still doesn’t explain why Kanba got involved (I’m guessing he’s not related, either… their dad did have a son, not twins, after all)… Shouma the only child? Can’t believe it.

And after all that, it turns out Sanetoshi wants the diary destroyed… seems he and Momoka really are playing some game.

6. AidanAK47 says:

Wow, three out of nowhere ass pulls.
    Alright it was a good episode but still this sudden twist thing is getting old. The best twists are the ones that have things that hint at it a number of times but it never really clicked until the revelation where you suddenly think back to all these hints and think “HOLY CRAP! Now that makes complete sense. How the hell didn’t I notice that!” But this is the equal to a twist of “GASP! Shouma is a girl! Himari is the descendant of Jesus christ! Kanba is Hitler!” It’s cheap shock value.
    And again, 18 episodes of symbolism and nothing hinted at this. I mean come on.

7. Aline says:

I do agree this episode was absolutely top-notch when it comes to twists, but come on, you can’t just ignore how much the quality in art has dropped… this episode especially was full of distorted faces and cheap proportions

8. ljf says:

@AidanAK47:

It actually was hinted but it was very subtle and you probably didn’t really notice since, of course, why would you assume such an insane plot twist in the first place lol

9. ljf says:

also, if you watched Utena, you should have seen this coming from a mile away

10. dm says:

I’m now at the point where I want this series to be over simply so I can start watching from the beginning and appreciating the way it’s all put together.

I suspect there have been signs that these twists were coming all along.

11. Oroboros says:

I suspected something was brewing due to the frequent hints at incest and the obvious fact that the Takakaras only had a boy 16(?) years ago, but I still ended thrown for a loss.

12. AidanAK47 says:

@Aline, I noticed that too. Which is something I don’t understand. Peguindrum had bare minimum animation. They had repeating scenes, very little movement and don’t even have to animate people. So how is it that the animation budget seems to be running out?

@ljf, are you talking about that one scene in this episode which slightly…slightly hinted it? Sorry that doesn’t count. It still doesn’t prove that it wasn’t an ass pull if it’s in the same episode. Twists one and two could be considered to be vaguely hinted or assumed but twist number three is completely out of nowhere.

13. jzar says:

I was so busy tracking the story that the art just passed me by…. I’d have to agree this was not the best art but you’d also have to admit that up to now it has been very good. So I’ll cut’em some slack…..this time :).

14. LordVernon says:

There are very interesting hints here and there actually. My favourite was the conversation between Kanba and Sanetoshi in ep 15:

“Don’t you think families are a sort of fantasy, like a curse of sort? Think about it. Just how many children suffer because of their family? Parents who treats their children as objects in the name of love, abusing them. They only love themselves, yet kids must love their parents solely because they are family, and love their siblings.”

That was definitely a cute way of going into it. Now that I think about it, the Takakura really only did have one son, as oppose to two additional children they had to keep in the dark about their activities. That certainly does explain why all three…ahem…”siblings” differ so immensely.

Something might also be relevant regarding how Kanba’s father’s shirt now has a KIGA logo instead of a Penguinforce one. I’ll look forward to that.

15. wendeego says:

AidanAK47: Not sure exactly what twists you’re referring to, though I’m guessing you’re talking about Shouma being Himari’s fated one and having rescued her from the Child Broiler? Because there were a couple of hints seeded throughout:

-the statue of the boy offering the girl the apple in Himari’s dream in episode 9 (this was the big one)
    -The child broiler making an appearance in the same dream–maybe a repressed memory?
    -the fact that Kenzan only said over the phone in episode 13 that he had one son. If this son was Shouma, that means that Kanba was probably adopted and Himari brought into the family by Shouma switching fat tracks.
    -The fact that in most of the family pictures of the Takakuras, Shouma and Himari are facing the camera/looking happy together while Kanba is somewhere in the back of the frame.
    -Now that we know that Himari was rescued from the child broiler, the glass falling around her in the second OP makes a lot more sense.

So yeah, agree that the twist was sudden and maybe could have been built up better, but the hints were there (and have been pointed out earlier by the fanbase.) The only question was putting them together.

16. LordVernon says:

Huh, I’m actually convinced the only son was Kanba, where as Shouma and Himari changed their own fate and transferred themselves into the Takakura family.

17. Stuff says:

Well, one must consider that the man responsible for this episode also did episode 10.

About the siblings not being siblings, that idea started circulating by episode 12. What I find shocking is that Himari is the outsider.

Also, people think Kanba and Masako may be related, but thats sort of weird, because she kissed him in episode 10. Why would he suddenly be brought up as a takakura if he’s a natsume?

Honestly though, Kanba or Mario being Himari’s fated one wouldve been the obvious choice, so knowing Ikuhara, why would he make it them? We were all shocked, and that’s what he intended. It’s not like he chose a completely irrelevant character the Yamashita though.

18. Snowolf says:

Theory Time!
    time for some theories yo
    After the mindshock that was 19 yesterday, with the entire plot being flipped around and such, I have plenty of new theories to enlighten you all with! Consider some other shows (namely, Doctor Who) to be an inspiration of sorts. This is kind of a huge long rant, so prepare yourselves! Spoilers Ahead.
    So things we learned from yesterday’s episode:

The parents are not dead (called it)

Kanba does indeed, know where his parents are, and not only that, but is in close contact with them (called it)

The people his parents are working with are giving him the money to survive the regular expenses of his house/living (called it)

Sanetoshi cannot touch the diary, and most interestingly, does not like the Diary; he wants to get rid of it in order to his achieve his plans, which is “to make the Takakura children accomplish what their parents could not”

Himari is the girl who was adopted into the Takakura family, not Kanba (which I had suspected, damn)

Natsume has now obtained a new set of Penguinbullets which can restore memories instead of taking them away

Yuri and Tabuki had originally planned to become a team to revive Momoka together, but slowly develop into a real family

And of course, the major!shock revelation that Shouma was Himari’s soulmate, and that he had given the Apple of Fate to her, not Mario

So with a lot of turns and twists, I’ll get straight to the point. Here’s what I think, personally:

We are set in a timeline where Momoka has reversed the fates- or rather, has ‘boarded’ another train of fate in which Yuri nor Tabuki has died. Thus, this has skewed the fate of everyone who is connected to that train of fate (pun intended)- both the Takakuras and Ringo. Call it the Butterfly Effect; in sacrificing herself for both Tabuki and Yuri, Momoka has literally created a paradox in which everyone’s fatelines (this is now a word) have been altered in one way or another. This includes Himari’s soulmate being Shouma instead of Mario.
    Now in the future of this timeline- we’ll call it the current!timeline for the sake of not creating confusion- something has gone drastically wrong, to the point where Momoka, in the future, has to come back into the past- now the present timeline- in the form of the Princess of the Crystal, to change things back to the way they were supposed to originally be. That is, for Mario (or whoever) being the original soulmate of Himari, and for Yuri and Tabuki to die, Momoka to live, or in other words- for fate not to have been transferred. Momoka speaks of fate in two specific ways- one, which is similar to boarding a train (hence the whole train motif) and the other, which is in the idea of ‘transaction’- not changing fate, but replacing it (see: how Momoka replaced Yuri’s father’s David Statue with the Tokyo Tower, how she replaced herself in Tabuki’s place so that he would not die in the train accident). We can also talk about transfer as to how each character’s parents have in a way, transferred their hopes, dreams, expectations (and fate) onto them. In reference to the boarding the train idea, this leads me to the idea that a train can have many many paths- and if the train is fate, well, why can’t we have parallel universes and timelines? The Princess of the Crystal states she comes from teh destination of fate; that is, where this train stops (or crashes). I believe that’s the end of the line for the current timeline. POC is trying to prevent that from happening- namely, for the train to ‘set on another track’.

Please note that this is pretty specific at the moment; my main general idea is that this is an alternate timeline where the critical point has or has not happened yet and that Future!Momoka, or rather, POC, is trying to rectify things before they happen the way they have happened in an alternate timeline causing everything to go out of proportion.
    Now, Sanetoshi is either trying to do the same thing his own way- by making the children finish ‘the mission’- Project M, which I think, is different for everyone (Ringo- Maternity, Natsume-Martyrdom/Marriage or something, and for Sanetoshi- Mission) or he is against the POC’s wishes and is trying to keep the timeline the same as it is. Somehow, the Penguindrum- which we still don’t know what it is yet, but it is something (either substantial or a mere concept) related to Kanba- and the Diary factor into this. The Diary is not the Penguindrum (still not sure about this). But the Penguindrum has the ability to basically create a mass deus ex machina, which will change everything back to the way it should be- basically, re-alter the current!timeline so it becomes the proper timeline. Now, if the Penguindrum is the Diary, then we’ll have to reconsider Ringo paying the price of it as a result- hence both Openings showing her enveloped in flames (I find it intriguing that Ringo was born right after Momoka’s death- while the first half of the series focuses on her trying to become Momoka, and then not become Momoka, wouldn’t it be interesting if she was the current!timeline reincarnation of Momoka?). However, if the Diary is NOT the Penguindrum, we’ll have to consider it as just another thing entirely. The thing is that anyone who touches the Diary has to pay a price; everyone in this series except Tabuki and Sanetoshi have touched the Diary. (I’m not clear if this is just by touching the Diary, or touching it when it’s in the process of a Transfer). Secondly, POC states that if the Takakura brothers do not obtain the Penguindrum, they will lose something precious to them- more precious than their sister’s life, apparently. Also, we still don’t know what caused Himari’s illness, or why she got it, something Shouma hinted at in this week’s episode, was related to their parents.

Now going back to the Transfer Fate theme in this story:

Shouma is revealed to be the Soulmate of Himari, but knowing Ikuhara (and Utena) along with what actually happened, I’m a bit confused about what ‘Soulmate” really means. We’ve seen different forms of love in this show- for Kanba, he truly is in love with Himari; Shouma likes Ringo as a friend, Ringo is in love with Shouma, Yuri and Tabuki share their ‘love’ through their ‘love’- aka idolization, of Momoka, whom they view as God more than just a friend. Now, going back to the parallel that Momoka brought Tabuki out of the Child Broiler, and Shouma doing the same for Himari: Soulmate doesn’t have to necessarily mean love (I might just be in denial, tbh). For one thing, Shouma wishes Himari to join his family, not get married. This might have to do with the idea that Shouma’s innocence and naivety at that time might have taken the form/concept of giving Himari love through platonic action- placing her into his family. However, this brings two main questions: How did Shouma obtain the Apple of Fate, and why did he choose Himari? I don’t think Soulmate means Love as it means ‘Savior’. Shouma saved Himari from being wiped of her identity, of her loneliness and sin. The second question however, is that why doesn’t either Shouma or Himari remember this? Does Shouma have a sort of Momoka-ness to him? The show has really put him into the background for the majority, which has always led me to suspect that he would play a fundamental role in the end, but I didn’t expect this.

So obviously there’s some loose ends which I still can’t figure out, and we have five episodes left for them to explain all of this (which sort of worries me)…but I guess…we’ll have to find out?

19. Snowolf says:

@Aidan: I do agree with the others here- a lot of the revelations were totally hinted at in previous episodes, especially the fact that one of the siblings was not related by blood, and that Kanba was in association with the same people his parent’s were/are associated with. I’m not so sure about the Shouma revelation- I totally didn’t see it coming, but I do remember chatting with some folks early on about how it could have been a possibility (knowing Ikuhara, just like ljf said)

There were certain moments where I could see the drop in animation for sure, but like already said, I was so invested into the story and the twists that I didn’t really notice? But I mean, we’ve only had three episodes (including this one) which have had a major quality drop, and considering how strong the other parts of this show are, it’s not that big of a deal (this is from someone who takes animation quality quite seriously too). :)

20. Oroboros says:

@LordVernon

How could Himari & Shouma change their fate, after Momoka died? Did they have access to her Fate Diary or some other means?

21. ljf says:

The diary itself does not change fate it’s the spell within the diary that does. So technically one does not need the diary to do the Transfer

22. AidanAK47 says:

@Wendeego,
    The child boiler was shown briefly in himari’s library episode. Though only for about a second. But the issue I have with this twist is that it’s Shouma that is the fated one of Himari. So a lot of those hints you give aren’t really relevant.

“We’ve known pretty much this whole time that either Himari or Momoka had a fated one; the question was which member of the cast it was. Ultimately it came down to either Shouma or his faceless friend, so is it really any surprise that Shouma turned out to be the one? Considering that we know the least about him of anyone in the cast, it makes sense that he has the most to hide!”

Sorry, I don’t understand this. Himari and Shouma have had little screen time together. Most of the time Kanba and Himari were shown together as a giant red herring. I don’t know what you mean by knowing Himari or Momoka had a fated one. And why did it come down to Shouma and the faceless guy? Sorry but either my memory of the past episodes is a little fuzzy or your logic makes no sense at all.

@Snowolf, I accepted that the parent twist and non blood related twist was vaguely hinted. Even if in episode 13 Kenzan said that he had one son that only suggests that one of the boys is adopted but says nothing about Himari being adopted.Its the Shouma twist I find comes straight out of nowhere. And the animation drop has been going on for longer than just three episodes.

23. wendeego says:

@AidanAK47: Well, it’s process of elimination, really. We know that in episode 9, we saw two statues: a girl, and a boy giving the girl an apple. So assuming the girl was Momoka, Tabuki would probably be a good candidate. Or if the girl was Himari, then Shouma or Kanba would be a good candidate (or Yamashita if you were going for conspiracy theories)

Tabuki has already played his role, so he can’t be a candidate–also, notice that Momoka saved HIM, so if anything Momoka gave him an apple. That leaves Himari as the girl, with Kanba, Shouma and Yamashita as candidates. Of those three, we already know a lot about Kanba. On the other hand, we know almost nothing about Shouma and Yamashita, so it stands to reason that since all the other characters have been filled in, one of them would be her soulmate.

Then again, the above is pretty convoluted and probably not logically sound, SO: think about it for a second. Remember Shouma’s speech in episode 12 about Mary and the Lamb? Remember how Mary had to pay a price in order to take the torch?

All this time, a lot of people have assumed that the price was Himari. But if Shouma is the true son of the Takakuras, then what if he was the price? Remember the OP, where the silhouette of one of the brothers fell and dissolved as penguin symbols switched from KIGA to Penguin Force? I think that Shouma (whatever he is) might have been the catalyst that Kenzan used in order to execute Survival Strategy. That would mean that hints were there from the very first episode (in the OP, anyway)

Leaves a lot of questions, though. How much of the Takakura family life is a fabrication? How much does Shouma know? Why is he so useless now? The Takakura parents have taken punishment for Himari and for Kanba, but why is Shouma left out in the cold?

24. rufe says:

I actually saw the Shouma is her “person of destiny” thing coming. I mean…come on with the whole Ringo arc and all.

Though I do have to admit, I though that Kanba was the one who was adopted into the family, not Himari. That surprised me…

25. Hara says:

I’m not over with the KanbaxHimari : remember the strange relationship between Kanba and the Princess of the Crystal ? There’s definitely something behind it. She told him “You can do it (save Himari-chan) because the Penguindrum is your…”
    Until now, Kanba’s been the only character giving his life/heart/blood/whatever countless times to the Princess of the Crystal in order to save Himari. And each time, the Princess is completely naked, hahaha… remember the project M as Maternity ? Moreover, Sanetoshi is referring to the hat as “the veil of the bride”. If the Princess is the bride, she seems to have chosen Kanba over Shouma, and I can’t believe this has no connection with all that “soulmates” matter.

And what about a connection between Sanetoshi and Shouma ? After all, we know Sanetoshi is a strange guy with magic powers close to Momoka’s. We assume he’s been talking about her when he’s saying there’s another being like him in the world.
    That means we only have two “fate gamers” : Sanetoshi and Momoka/Princess. Shouma doesn’t seem to remember anything about magic or fate : could have been “something” else sharing his body when he saved Himari ? Moreover, Sanetoshi seems quite interested by Himari/the princess, trying to kiss her in the library. He failed beacause of the Princess, suddenly taking over Himari’s body, putting her finger on his mouth : “Don’t”. Maybe because she actually chose Kanba as her fated one !

My theory : Momoka is back as the princess of the Crystal. She has chosen Kanba for her survival strategy (aka a baby aka her own reincarnation in the real world ?). Sanetoshi is like her, he wants her but she doesn’t. At the same time, he seems to be playing a game with/against her, related to fate. Maybe him winning the game means he can do whatever he wants with her ?? Maybe for him, putting the train back on tracks means Momoka is going back to him ?
    After all, Momoka’s been messing with the fate of many people and is obviously rejecting Sanetoshi.
    What I don’t understand is Shouma’s role. I’d like to think Sanetoshi has been controlling him so that he could create all this crap about Himari (who’s destined to revive Momoka) being Shou’s soulmate. It’s the perfect way to prevent Kanba and Himari/Momoka from getting any closer.

26. C160 says:

You know, Himari being save by Shouma from the child broiler doesn’t really mean that she have to be adopted. She could be very well the Takakura’s real daughter. She may have felt that she is unwanted when their parents went missing, and in effort to persuade her to come back from the child broiler, Shouma offered himself/his apple(what is that apple anyway? does it really signify “soulmate”?since there are three of those apples in their house). Of course there’s the whole Masako’s “you are still pretending to be their little sister” thing in this episode though. Something might have happened and she “stopped” being their sister.

Someone made a connection between Himari and the shards(symbolizing the children who went through the “broiling” process in the child broiler.Yeah I know, without context everything is wtf) around her in the OP and that got me thinking, is the Princess of Crystals really on the good side? She could be very well on the side of the child broiler people. Or maybe she is on the good side, the crystal symbolizing the non broiled non-shard children..

Another thing is that I don’t think Momoka and the Princess is the same person. My theory is that the princess is the hat entity and she can only possess “special” souls like Momoka, Himari, and Mario. Remember episode 13 when Sanetoshi talked to the camera thing? There are only two things there at that time,Momoka and the Penguin Hat.So yes,I’m going crazy because of this show.

27. Kim says:

I think some people are missing the point about this whole “fated one” business. Just because Shouma is Himari’s fated one does not mean they will be the “end couple” of the series. What you feel and what fate tells you to do are two very different things. In the same way Tabuki actually might have been Ringo’s fated one but she just happened to fall in love with Shouma.

I am actually thinking that the Penguin Queen (who is most likely Momoka) is trying to keep certain characters apart so the world will not get back the way Sanetoshi wants it to: hence the reason Shouma is always knocked out of the survival strategy. Perhaps the POC could see that Kanba had the feelings for Himari and was pushing that relationship that goes against fate. You can also say that in a way the POC brought Ringo & Shouma together another relationship that defies fate.

Was Shouma being Himari’s fated one heavily hinted, no? But there is absolutely nothing in the series that contradicts it either. We always knew it had to be one of the characters in the series and there were limited choices. In fact if my theory is correct the very fact that the POC always removed Shouma from those survival strategy sessions might have been the biggest hint of all.

I am not sure if this is what happened at all. Right now I don’t know who is related to who but I doubt anyone is adopted. I think it’s more that “fate” has been changed creating families that might not have existed in another timeline.

Since Shouma can enter the child broiler like Momoka I also think he has the power to change fate, but he seems to have lost his memory of this ability.

28. kero says:

To be honest, most of “the hints were there” comments mentioned seem to be a load of BS.

I think MPD throws so much stuff at people, that you can go back and read a lot into things, similar to people who think the Nostradamus predicted the future.

This is a show that encourages people to read into everything, and you can read too much into it.

I haven’t read through everything because too many walls of text are being erected, but uh Mario is Himawari’s real intended one? What?

MPD isn’t playing by any rules, and by establishing that anything goes with memory loss/ magic/ changed fates, it means people can be lying when they think they’re telling truths, people can be telling truths that have been turned into lies because of the changes to fate.

I have no idea if I will be satisfied by the final outcome. It’s literally unpredictable.

29. kero says:

Oh yeah..

After last episode I said:

“I would love it if he [Shouma] ends up being the one to save everybody!”

I may have been closer to the truth than I thought, and I might get what I want, which is to see Shouma stepping up and playing a bigger part in the series.

one of the next few episodes HAS to focus on him. COME ON!

30. Kim says:

I did forget to mention that I did think this episode looked bad animation wise. Apparently it was done by the same guy who did episode 10, so it’s not surprising. Maybe this was also a cost savings episode. Ah well!

31. ljf says:

also, for people saying there was no foreshadowing to this plot twist:

32. Frelia says:

Greetings. I’m here to say that Kanba may be the TRUE child of the Takakuras. But when Momoka used her diary to change fate, I’m sort of thinking Shouma was created when the tracks shifted and Momoka disappeared.
    But the scarf Himari was wearing is important to her, and Shouma’s still a mystery…

33. rufe says:

The hints were there are more like…if Shouma didn’t end up in this role it would have been some pretty shoddy writing. Of course nobody’s sure of anything in this series….

Also, I fall into the Shouma is repressing memories like Himari camp. He seems pretty ansty but we don’t know why yet. Finally, I think Momoka and Himari are liked somehow, but of course have no idea how.

Of the many questions I have remaining, Himari’s illness is starting to get pretty pressing…

34. kevin says:

Asspull after asspull. I want to drop this… But after watching this long I may as well stick around to see it all fall apart at the end.

35. wendeego says:

Also, by the way:

According to the eyecatch subway track, we’re just about to turn the corner (just like the real-life subway line it is based on.) The next five episodes are the final stretch. The aquarium is in sight.

LET THE CLUSTER*#$& BEGIN

36. wendeego says:

Also, regarding reading too much into Penguindrum:

For all its inconsistent budget and ridiculous plot twists, I’m of the opinion that Mawaru Penguindrum is one of the most deliberately constructed shows in recent memory. Just look at how the backgrounds are arranged, or the set composition, or how characters or plot elements are often foreshadowed several episodes before they appear.

Did we know that Yuri was a lesbian? No. Did we know that Tabuki’s hands were crushed by a piano? Probably not. We only had a fragmentary glance at the Child Broiler, as well. But we did see Yuri clad in princess garb in the OP (pretty ironic, considering her past) and got a pretty good glimpse at the Tragedy of M, which was pretty much her past and tragedy verbatim. We did see Tabuki juxtaposed with the bird cage a number of times, and the scars on his hands had to have come from somewhere.

And the child broiler? Look back through the episodes for rotating blades–fans, helicopters, whatever. The places that they appear (in the Child Broiler, above Himari’s death bed, part of the helicopter hovering above Yuri as her father abuses her) make way too much sense to be coincidental.

Could Penguindrum have been paced better? Probably. Could we have given us more insight into the characters? Definitely. There are so many balls in the air at the moment that the show very well could self-destruct at the end. But the sheer amount of effort that’s evident in this project makes me think that the creators are giving it their all.

And you know what? I’m totally fine with that. I’ll let Ikuhara carry this crazy experiment to its end. I think that the crew of Penguindrum have the chutzpah to pull it off, but even if they slip up at the end I think the show’s memorable enough that it would be an achievement by any measure.

37. Lemi says:

Man, should have known that chemistry between Kanba and Himari was just a red herring.

38. ren says:

Just a random thought, i’m curious if there’s any potential symbolism (and foreshadowing) between the memory balls (blue = recollection, red = forgetting) and the color of Kanba and Shouma’s hair =\

39. betawatcher says:

I don’t bother to read all these theories about Mawaru Penguindrum. I’m just glad Shouma’s more than just a side character now. (cos I really liked him when he was all joyful and now he’s so emo :-T)

I’d be so sad if Shouma being all magical is just a side effect from Momoka’s powers…

40. Jack says:

Dayumn. This is one of those sereis I wish I had started watching only AFTER it had ended.

Now homeboy Shoma gonna’s show who’s da bawsss, just wait and see! All coming just as keikaku*.

Seriously, Penguim DRAMA feels like a weird cross between David Lynch, Harukami and mental retardation. I love it!

* keikaku means plan.

41. reverse says:

i like it, wasn’t really happy by how thing were going in episode 6 – 15(somewhere in there). but this episode do intrigue me

I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.
Seems that it will be at its worst in the west, that said I'm living in Dublin in the east so I'll probably get away with a power cut for a while. Thankfully I'm not back in work until Thursday and I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.
Also Careful Kaiser, I hear we got a hurricane heading our way tomorrow.
@Kaiser, Can't say I do. I got into anime around the time it was getting put on the internet. And I only started buying anime when I got a job. Now I got a whole bookcase of Blu-rays.
@Aidan: Remember back in the 90s when we didn't have all region dvd players and everything got released on region 1?
@Kaiser, I checked though. Seems the screenings are strictly US for Heavens Feel. Sort of like how Grand Order isn't released for Europe either. Also took goddamn ages to get the Blu-Rays of UBW too. Aniplex just seems to hate us for some reason.
Dublin city university has/had an anime club.
These are all one time only things though.
@Aidan: Eh....on rare occasions the Eye cinema in Galway and the Lighthouse in Dublin do screenings . Eiretakon has re-formed as J-con in Dublin and they do screenings.
Playing Muv Luv Alternative and I just made it pass a certain infamous scene. Honestly...I thought seeing as I knew it was coming that it wouldn't hit that hard. But even after all these years...it still gives me chills.
@Amagi, Could be worse. There are no screenings in Ireland so the wait is a hell of a lot longer for me.
I'll likely be checking out Lu over the wall in early December.
I am really looking forward to that new movie from the Tekkonkinkreet guy and Heaven's Feel but both screenings only happen in February so this will sadly still take a while.
Aah, I just missed the only screening of In the Corner of the World at my local cinema (it comes as part of a film festival, guess I will watch the pirated version then). Thankfully they screened Firework anime so I'm going to watch it. Now
I intend to still give Dies Irea another chance. don't know if it's worth it thou
Maybe those kidscheated half of the way because no one can WALK faster than me :)
The animation continues to be quite poor and its only getting 15 episodes.
Though I could definitely have seen my German Ex offended by it.
Y'know I never even cared enough to think that people would be this offended by Dies Irae, it would be like being offended by the Naziploitation elements in hellsing . I find both far too silly to be in anyway offensive.
But in all seriousness, good that you keep up the exercise. I walk pretty much everywhere.
@Mario: Little fiends likely taking performance enhancing drugs, know to poison them next beforehand =P
Still finished in a first half but 35 minutes for 5km is something I wasn't to proud of. Damnit.
Well, just finished a running event. The race was just 5 kilometer so I was aiming to run all the way. Ended up walking 1/3 of the way and lose to some 12 year old kids... I'm getting old, really!
@Anon, That was a stupid move on their part. Still I prefer to judge a game based on the quality of the product and not outside circumstances.
yooka laylee is okay but i hate it because they removed jontrons voice
new Altair OP is better than old Altair OP. But old ED is better than new. Man I really am sad Altair cannot have the 100_ episodes of LOGH. Because of that they really have to rush the story to make the politics work, but at same time rushing it undermines the story integrity. Which is a pity. I really think if Altair had the LOGH treatment, it would be a stupendous tale of politics.
I got that with Yooka Laylee which I thought was a decent fun game. However the internet has determined it to be a flaming trash pile of a game. I even have a friend who never played the game but bashes it purely because it's so hated.
While I understand the point, and have indeed watched stuff both psgel and the current writers have not given a high score too, generally speaking our tastes are complimentary. In a world of scarce time and quite a lot of stress over things like work or relationships, I will take the cognitive short-cuts I can for my hobbies, and FOMO be damned! :)
That may actually be quite the common occurrence as internet opinion tends to veer to extremely positive or extremely negative. Something can't simply be good, it most be amazing. Somehting can't be passable either, it has to be garbage.
@Anon, I agree with that. In truth you can only really judge something when you have seen it yourself. I will even admit that mine and likely the others reviews of Imouto are a bit of Hyperbole. It's really not the most terrible thing I have ever seen. Actually I would say Dynamic cord was worse.
(i already found some nice things i would have neglected otherwise or deemed worthless based on reviews/seasonal previews etc)
So i concluded that even if those people were writing good reviews and had somewhat compatible tastes with me, were nice and intelligent people overall in the end it did not mattered that much. while others' opinions are helpful, my own taste is the only thing i can really trust. so watching everything it is
I used to chose my shows based on reviews from people i trust, this site included, but then i just started trying out everything and - shocking, i know - suddenly i liked things others did not. or vice versa, which were a possibility even before.
Thats why I only really watch/checked out things that piqued my interest. Was gonna do it anyways, so why not write about i
SuperWooper
Comprehensive sampling does have its benefits, though. Animegataris is a show I wouldn't have touched on my own, but it was quite watchable.
SuperWooper
@Kaiser, I agree that only the better-looking shows need to be previewed, but being a new recruit, I can't exactly influence the long-standing Star Crossed policy of giving everything a shot.
@anon1477190: that moment you mentioned about Kino losing her cool was good, but then they followed up on the obvious exposition about the couple which I felt was heavy-handed.
I bring that up mainly because I don't want to see any of the writers getting burned out/demotivated/having their time wasted.
Guys it must be incredibly time consuming to watch some of these obviously from the outset bottom of the barrel shows you know will be awful and you'll never cover, I doubt anyone would have complained if you didn't mention Imouto Ireba.
The ending was good, but leading up to it was sort of dull
Agreed on how Kino felt this week. What really got me though was how she held the gun. That bugged me in those pov shots
Eh, I'm not keen to go over old material, I'll just watch the new Kino stories.
@Mario: I get claustrophobic sometimes, so Haze by Tsukamoto Shinya was fucking un-comfortable =P
@Mario: Ganja and hess, Die Farbe, Texas chainsaw 2, shop of horrors and AM 1200 stood out best.
*I will admit that I enjoyed the ending bit a little more though. Something about Kino throwing that big rock was moving somehow, especially with how stoic she normally is, haha.
I was a bit disappointed by Kino this week. I actually enjoyed the original Colosseum, but more for some of the individual fights rather than the conflict with the main antagonist. So the speed with which they went through them wasn't my favorite thing.
@Kaiser: haha, sounds fun. Any good horror worth reccomending?
Tried doing that horror 30 horror movies in Autumn challenge thing, fun times but bloody exhausting.
I will finally be getting on to magus bride SOON.
Just try not to compare any of his works to yi yi and you'll be fine. Pity we lost him too soon.
I'm meaning to watch Terrorizers for quite a while now. You beat me to it again. So it's that good huh??
@Mario: I did end up re-watching terrorizers and finishing it this time, never ever have I bee so wrong to initially under-estimate a director or film, the second half massively improves the film and comes together perfectly.
@Mario: ...conditions are very hard to get right on screen, it almost ends up being horribly sappy. This is why when I saw Moon-so-ri's performance in Oasis I was so surprised by how excellent she depicted her characters disability, to where if I didn't know better I'd have sworn it was for real.
@Kaiser: and sometimes they take an "artistic liberty" to change the real stories to make it more dramatic. Case in point, I was so moved by A Beautiful Mind until I read it that the main guy doesn't have those issues in real life. Felt deeply manipulated
@Mario: Largely due to and not helped by the fact most biopics are over two hours long.
@Kaiser: glad you enjoyed Loving Vincent. I'm a bit worried about its story to be honest since it's a biopic and sometimes biopic can be so dry like a powerpoint presentation about someone's life
WE DEMAND THE 20 MINUTES BACK
Stupid imouto anime....bullying Aidan and Mario.
*their
Why must all artistic/creative be so out of there minds =<
@Mario: I saw Loving Vincent, I knew very little about the man himself before seeing, but this did an alright job of introducing the viewer to who he was, the voice acting/script is slightly stilted but in the end it works as a vehicle to get from one nicely rendered/animated scene to the next and its worth looking at for 90 minutes .
@Puran: that story from Kino was one of my least favorite from 2003 version. This week they changed quite a bit of details, most notably they speed through the gladiator fights. The result... well... average for me
That book seems to have a tv show adaptation.
I actually have been meaning to read Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel.. Might put it next on my reading list.
Puran
(and, I thought the old one handled the story much better...)
Puran
New Kino ep was a remake of a story in the old anime... It's really not helping me in trying to avoid comparing the two series.
SuperWooper
@KTravlos, you like Jonathan Strange? Good taste, my man.
I watched the Ancient Magus Bride OVA after your suggestions. It was very nice. A mix of Howl's Moving Castle and Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel. I will definitely follow this series. Thank you.
@Mario: lol I go once a week if I can.
@Mario: I suppose it would be more sand on glass animation: [link src="https://letterboxd.com/director/caroline-leaf/
@Travlos: I liked the Dragon Dentist. Loved its art but yeah the story is unfocused and the characters aren't those that I consider deep
@Kaiser: well, yep animation techniques can be really diverse and I did a good deal of research about them. For sand animation, do you refer to the sand performing art? I would love to see that type have a proper animation but there is a debate of whether or not it can be considered as "animation"
@Kaiser: haha you're lucky. Now that when I think about that, despite considered myself a film fan I haven't stepped to the cinema for 6 months now. Shame on me!
@Aidan: Is it possible to make it so we can alter our profile pages on the site, so as to be able to add a short bio or top ten list of our favourite shows/manga?
Ah, excellent loving vincent is showing tomorrow at my local cinema.
When you think about it, I love how varied animation can actually be....I've even come across salt and sand animation.
Nuuuu I missed my chance to see body and soul. I am very much looking forward to Kim-ki-duks new film.
@Kaiser: to be more exact, Petrov uses painting on glass. Loving Vincent will be painting on paper. But yeah, no real difference there
My god. Typo here.Russia is very *quick*. Yep, I'm looking forward for Loveless, despite its grim premise
@Mario: Aleksandr Petrov uses similar animation techniques.
@Kaiser: In the end of this month I will get around to watch On Body and Soul (which have great hype no matter where I read) and an infamous Chinese adult animation Have a Nice Day
@Kaiser: I swear Russia is really weak when it comes to their movies availabled in the high sea. Yep, if you can, watch Loving Vincent. At least the painting animation is a can't miss
@Vonter: i am looking for the Junti Itou's adaptations as well. But I think it most likely will be inconsistent. Just hope they manage to get the creepy feeling right
@Aidan: Itou has also worked on a non-horror manga called Yuukoku no Rasputin.
@Vonter, The thing that needs to be perfected is getting Junti Itou's artstyle animated. The thing that truly makes his works shine is the art. Still it would be nice to see an animated version of The Enigma of Amigara Fault.
@Mario: been delving further into Edward Yang, next is the terrorizers, Taipei story is a bit difficult to get into at first and it does feel like a trial run but it come into itself much better by its second half.
@Mario: There is a Russian torrent of The Loveless (2017) floating around, we may see this sooner than expected if it gets subbed. Also remind me, was it you that recommended me to see the animated film Loving Vincent?
@Vonter: I really hope they properly animate them as 20 minute episodes and not as 8-10 minute shorts with picture show animation.
There's gonna be an anime of Junji Itou's short stories. Hopefully since there's gonna be several instead of one story, one or two of those are done well. The CGI really took from the atmosphere in Gyo, maybe stories with less scope can be crafted with more care. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/09-1/teaser-site-for-tv-anime-junji-ito-collection-opens-for-winter-2018-premiere
I saw the Dragon Dentist. Interesting but weird. I felt like there were two shows in there. A great magic show and a great war shows, but forcing them together denied each its full potential.
KT here. Since Aidan is not the state, accusations of violating freedom of speech are meaningless. You have no right to his time or tolerance. You are giving too many chances Aidan IMHO. Ban and be done with it.
@Anon(FakePsgels), the only reason you can post again is because I only gave you a day ban. But believe me, I can make it much longer. Three strikes, try impersonating Psgels again and you will get a week ban. Strike three is a permanent ban. So just try it. Test me.
Lordish_Kvadratish
Somehow the site is good again :D. I had been visiting daily when Psgels was writing, and when he left I felt disappointed and stopped. And now I like it again for some reason. Good place on the internet. Thank You.
It's not like we need this site to survive mate, so get off his case
Aidan-kun....stop whining. You should be grateful you even get to use this site at all. Threatening to ban someone just because your mad is pure fascism.
That's something I wondered about as well. It would have been a good opportunity to change her costume a bunch of times. I am not a fan of characters always wearing the same stuff, especially if there is no concrete reason for doing so.
And I assume that everytime Nina transforms, she loses her clothes, right? So why the hell does she still wear the same costume afterwards?? Someone picked up for her no matter where she goes?????
The kill-arc makes sense narratively, but makes no damn sense logically (all the badass characters were there for Christ sake). Kaisar... don't even know what to feel.
Okay, trying to sum up how I feel about Virgin Soul now: I liked both Nina and Amira, the screwed up Charioce's character (remember he was a devil-hating fasscist who kills demons at sights or pit them against each others gladiator-wise). The cost of Nina's boice got me, not so much for Charioce's eyesight. My fav girl Rita doesn't have enough development
@Kaiser: Newer CG looks pretty good and I once hated CG. But Kado showed how good it can be and anime are constantly improving. Houseki has a lot of issues but the facial expressions are more than I usually see in anime. Can't wait to see how Inuyashiki is.
Yeah same here. I actually think they used this guy well, most anime don't have the balls to make someone evil for real and even kill him if he was a somewhat good guy at first. It's why that one scene surprised me and the death too. I was sure it was just one of these silly development episodes at first.
Likely due to not having to deal with bad art and framing of the manga I felt houseki was comparatively easier to watch.
Ah yes, Assland. Hated him. But I loved his relationship with Dias. Nina was great though.

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 02 [Bath – Journal – Laundry]

Here’s for the most comfort food of this season. One thing you will notice when watching this show: despite its dark, post-apocalyptic settings, Girls’ Last Tour is a slice-of-life moe show at its heart. There will be no deep implication of the dark world, and those girls will not develop much by the end. But […]

Juuni Taisen – 02 [Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl]

A Battle Royale anime is something that have been done numerous times before: Mirai Nikki, Btoom!!, last year’s Magical Girl Raising Project… It’s such a delicious meal that it’s hard not to have fun when players try to outsmart the others or think of a creative way to kill each other. Juuni Taisen so far […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100

The Reflection – 12 [The Reflection]

Welcome to the final episode of The Reflection. This week is both the best and worst episode of the season, with highs and lows, in both animation and story. Rather than my usual fare of just walking through the episode bit by bit though, I am going to try something different. We are going to […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100