Posted by psgels on 25 November 2011 with categories: Mawaru Penguin Drum

Yeah, this was the “calm before the storm”-episode of Mawaru Penguin-Drum. After this there are only four episodes left, resulting in God knows what kind of ending. This episode meanwhile was very different from the others: it was slow-paced, actually linear, and it was meant to flesh out the existing plot, rather than advance it.

Thankfully though, this avoided the common pitfalls of the usual calm before the storm episodes. Most of the times, these episodes are boring because they are just trying to delay the inevitable. This episode took its time to explain what happened between Shouma and Himari, it revealed why Shouma and Kanba’s parents did the things they did (that child broiler!), and this episode did actually have a solid build-up and a climax. The aftermath of this climax in its turn, built up this very effective atmosphere for the final four episodes.

Now, the big question will arise again: will this show have a great ending? It’s Kunihiko Ikura, so he’s bound to have something planned. In general, I don’t really care if the creators don’t answer every single question they ask explicitly. Not answering any question is of course also bad, but I disagree with people who dislike series, simply because they “don’t explain everything”. There are plenty of things in this series that can be better left off to the imagination.

Instead, what I want to see from this series is it using all of the build-up that the previous 20 episodes put into it. Take the current series, and push its story and characters to new levels. Pulling enough interesting twists without overdoing it and rushing through the final four episodes. This is a delicate balance that many shows fail to hit, but let’s wait and see whether this series knows what it’s doing.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Rhysfel says:

I’m still waiting for the subs of this episode….but This Child Broiler thing takes me back to Utena’s Mokushiroku (End of the World) thing,I wonder if Child Broiler it’s as metaphysical as Mokushiroku was…

2. troy says:

that’s the problem if its as metaphorical as it seemed before this episode,then its one thing, if its as literal as it could be interpreted in this one …..no wonder some people are ready to do some pretty extreme things to stop it.

3. esha25 says:

I almost cried a little bit during this episode. Things got answered beautifully. I am still a RingoXSho shipper though. I think the family should stay a family.

I feel like Sho taken over Momoko’s fate? He saved Himari from the child boiler and figuratively, though Ringo had her sights on the teacher, saved her from a similar fate with her parents.

Which leads me to Kanba? What is his motivation? What the hell happened with his sister, and why did he abandon the family. Why do I feel like Kanba has drunk the “koolaid” and is apart of the parents plan?

4. wendeego says:

This episode pretty much confirmed that Penguindrum’s soundtrack is god tier. The music that played when Shouma rescued Himari from the Child Broiler? SO. BEAUTIFUL. There are no words

5. Hara says:

For the first time with this show… I got bored. Really deceving :(

6. Snowolf says:

I feel split on your ideas of a good ending; one hand hand I completely agree that since this show has pushed the boundaries of what it means to be an anime-heck, a show in general- the ending should be focused on that solely and the buildup that has happened for the past 20 episodes.

At the same time though, I desperately want Ikuhara to answer every little detail in this show. Hear me out- it’s not because I’m the person who likes things to wrapped up in a nice pink bow (I am quite the opposite) but the idea that Ikuhara has stuffed SO MUCH into this show only to actually never even give a HINT of what those things meant or how they were related does frustrate me. It’s like sticking beautiful bits of candy into a box, and never letting anyone actually know what they taste like. While part of the candy’s appeal is how it looks, the real deal is the taste- something I feel that can be compared to Ikuhara’s work figuratively. And I think four episodes CAN pull it off, but barely, and that really worries me. If the show had been set for 26 episodes I wouldn’t have had a problem, but 4 episodes is really cutting it close.

At the same time though, I don’t want a very definitive ending; I want one that tackles the themes and ideas this show has been presenting since day one. At this point, I honestly could care less about the Penguindrum (much in the same way that I care less about Madara obtaining the Book of Friends in Natsume Yuujinchou); I just want a resolute ending for our characters, but not the themes itself. This sort of contradicts what I said before (but that refers to metaphors and allusions and hints) but I would prefer the question still being raised in the end of the story- albeit a different way- as it was raised in the first episode. To me, that would be an amazing ending. But we’ll see. I’ve really come to enjoy this train that’s Mawaru Penguindrum for the past five months, and I’ll be sad to see it go. :(

7. Kim says:

I am definitely sure there will be some questions unanswered or at least open to interpretation. I think most of the major questions will be answered. And actually think most have been answered already if you really look back.

Will it be a satisfying conclusion. Well I don’t want to jinx it. But it better be because I bought a calendar of the series and will have it up on my wall for 2012. Make it worth it Penguindrum, you haven’t disappointed me yet!

@Wendeego Agreed, I loved the music that was playing during that scene!

8. Snowolf says:

@Kim: Basically- I want somethings really set in stone in terms of plot, but the themes don’t necessarily have to have a solid conclusion to them. Either way, I still have that uncertainty that four episodes isn’t enough to cut it, but I may be entirely wrong; we’ll just have to wait and see! (I don’t want to be heartbroken over a fast rushed ending, to such a wonderful series, that’s all).

9. Snowolf says:

Speaking of which, I just listened to the first two soundtracks that came out with the Blu Rays and you can really tell the diversity of the arrangement. There’s all sorts of influences that can be heard- from Western to traditional Japanese music. While I still think that Penguindrum’s BGM could have been used better for the most part, I think it’s a great soundtrack overall and there have been scenes where the music alone has moved my heart (as Wendeego said).

10. rufe says:

Anybody wonder if there’s some political message behind this considering the timing of the series?

11. Chris says:

Wasn’t Utena’s final arc paced the same way? The conclusion only took up the final 3 episodes. Everything before that was character development and revelations. I think Ikuhara knows what he’s doing and if he keeps it up the ending may be just as beautiful as Utena’s if not better.

12. wendeego says:

On second thought, you know what’s really heartbreaking?

Looking back at Himari in episode 9. Thanks to Shouma’s interference, she has friends, siblings, and parents who really love her. But when her mother gives her the wrong ribbon, she lashes out at her anyway, despite the fact that she was so desperate for love and companionship earlier. Whatever Shouma tried to give her obviously wasn’t enough.

You could say that everyone in Mawaru Penguindrum are intensely tragic, actually, given enough thought. Yuri is a beautiful actress convinced that she is the ugliest person alive. Tabuki is a man desperately seeking to recover his days with Momoka, only to prove to be a monster in the process. Masako is a girl who in attempting to defeat her grandfather became just like him, and whose attempts to get her brother to acknowledge her is likely doomed. Ringo is a girl who embraced becoming her sister so wholeheartedly that she nearly drowned out her own self. Shouma and Momoka are two individuals who sacrificed everything for the downtrodden, only to have their sacrifices go sour.

Everyone is forced to constantly lie to each other, and to themselves, in order to stay sane. The majority of them were saved from the Child Broiler and brought back to reality, only to live artificial, disappointing lives. There’s flashes of light in the pan, sure. Ringo’s grown a lot, and Masako’s resolved not to “jump on the train.” But the world is corrupt. And Sanetoshi’s black rabbits laugh.

13. mica says:

i hope it won’t be like utena’s ending >_

14. ljf says:

I love how this show manages its plot twists! lol. Whenever they reveal something totally and utterly important, they show it like, hey no big deal dude – thought you knew. Lol when they officially revealed Kanba not being a relative it was treated like absolutely nothing new was being shown.

15. ahelo says:

I think I have a complaint with your Penguindrum posts as of late. Since you keep praising everything about Penguindrum; instead of always keeping praising the produstion team or talk about how good the story is without actually mentioning the story, why not ACTUALLY talk about the damn story and your opinion about it? But what do I know its still your own blog so whatever.

16. vertigo chateau says:

I agree with ahelo. psgels just keeps jizzing over the episodes but his posts aren’t worth reading because he doesn’t write any of his thoughts about the episode down. Just “omg the story is great” and “omg the production values were amazing”

17. Whisperer says:

well, writing your thoughts about something implies having such thoughts in the first place. I’ve seen few anime bloggers who actually post eye-opening stuff anyway – there was one for Dantalian no Shoka and one for Penguindrum, can’t remember the names…
    Such quality “newspaper article” posts can only be done frequently if you’re a “deep” or extremely analytical chap. (Keep in mind that heavy trolling can also influence the way someone writes about a show they liked – just read all the superficial reviews on AniDb.) And anyway, psgels is known for speed, for being organized, smart (he blogs some obscure shows when nobody else touches them) and for and his rather strict views on “entertainment” (views that mirror my own, to a degree). I appreciate him for introducing me to great shows like Phantom, Baccano and Kemonozume (I appreciate him less for praising the godawful second part of Red Garden, but hey…)

PS. psgels does fall, like most bloggers, into the “overanalyzing enjoyment” and “gushing about shows you like” tropes.

18. kero says:

@whisperer does fall? or did you mean doesn’t fall?

__

Great episode! It’s answered some of the major questions I had, and there is even a good justification for what the Takakura parents are trying to do in changing the world [even if their means are dodgy]

I’d thought that the child broiler parts were a metaphorical [?] story, so to find out that it actually exists in the MPD world was a cool twist. I like how they have mixed up fantasy and reality to the extent that you can’t tell what’s is real and what is illusory within the world.

I guess that’s one of the pluses of the medium!

Mini Sho chan was very cute, I loved the scene of him playing outside with the apple, such an innocent kid!

19. ShyBlue says:

Now I realize the important of Himari’s penguin being “San-chan” QnQ. Geez. This episode really screwed with my feelings a lot. Especially when Shouma gave Himari the apple. [btw, I’m a ShoumaxRingo shipper to the end of time, but I loved that moment.]

Customize
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.
*cinematography
Bam
@K-off: I second that, as although the Poirot series has very well-done choreography, casting and music, there is still a little more of that unquantifiable magic sprinkled on the Granada series. But keep watching and I'll guarantee that Suchet will become the quintessential Poirot in your mind as well.
I said that while I liked the performance and the direction, I didn't think that it did for Poirot what Granada did for Holmes.
@Bam Yeah it is, and generally when I camp I like to stay for 1-2 weeks, places like Niagara or Yellowstone I can pretty much see everything I want to see in a few days so I don't find much value going to those places. The Adirons on the other hand is diverse as hell.
Bam
@K-off: I'm not sure if you mentioned it while I was gone: but did you get to watch any of the Poirot series with David Suchet? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Bam
I generally go to either the Muir Woods north of SF, or the forests around Big Sur. It doesn't take much to please me really.
Bam
@K-ff: is that by Lake Champlain? Cuz I've been there once and loved it.
Bam
@K-off: I thought of a combined post, but my OCD wouldn't allow a skip in the episodic order of the reviews.

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]