Posted by psgels on 27 November 2011 with categories: Hunter X Hunter

The first half of this episode, I think it actually worked better than in the first series. It was simple and more to the point, just like Gon really. It had a nice build-up of “oh, this is going to take forever”, only to solve things in minutes afterwards. Although, Gon’s voice actress was trying a bit too hard again in this episode. It’s mostly her range. She’s very easy in just yelling all of her lines.

The second half however… it was a bit of a mess. And it’s not the pacing really. When you just look at pacing, then the new series is actually better than the first. It’s just that the voice acting is so much, much worse. The voice actors are trying too hard and especially the blue guy (why is he suddenly bright blue?) was hamming it up. Compare that to the first season, which had fantastic voice acting and which had voice actors who knew exactly when they should be subtle, and when to raise their voices.

What’s even worse is that we suddenly got to see entire inner monologues of that blue guy, which killed off all of the tension that was there already. It added some nonsensical stuff, while it cut out the stuff that made him quite charming (like the way in which he broke his fist, for example). Also, I’m surprised here: the way in which he refused to wake up, was actually a filler of the first season? I really would not have guessed. That really was something good they added back there.

And then there was Kurapika, who really managed to save this half when he saw the spider. It again suffers a bit too much from acting too hard when compared to the first series, but the moment where Kurapika got his red eyes: that was just wonderful. It wasn’t just a great scene. It also showed that the creators here know how to deliver the darker scenes.

Overall I’m quite positive of this series so far. The creators might actually nail it. However, there is one character who I’m positive that they’re going to ruin if they keep going on like this: Senritsu. I won’t say why, for the sake of the people who aren’t familiar with Hunter X Hunter, but I really cannot imagine her with the current focus on overacting from this series.
Rating: * (Good)

1. Mira says:

Nope. It happens in the manga. It should be covered in the next episode as it becomes part of Leorio’s match. I don’t know if this counts as spoilers but the fight was clearly shown to be a draw because the scores never change.

While I didn’t like how the blue guy kept on having monologues, I imagine it’s because the show wants to lengthen the Kurapika match. I really liked how the visuals were done in this episode. And Kurapika’s eyes were done in such a way that they aren’t just bright red, the look awesome– and definitely something you can imagine other people collecting and bidding for at a high price.

Well, with the mention of Genei Ryodan– I have to wonder how they’ll portray these guys as well. Heck, I wonder how Yorkshin is going to be! Especially when it was the very highlight of the original series, I don’t think there’s any way you can outdo what Nippon Animation did with that arc.

2. jzar says:

Some things were very good here. Yet…. Overall though, even though it’s very true to the original story it really didn’t convey the right feel. In the older anime version I was held breathless by these episodes, the tension was so thick that I almost couldn’t watch.

I remember the it was the first time I felt that Kurapika was more than just a girly face. It was like holy sh*t, he really can be dangerous.

It’s odd…..the matches so far=

1st prisoner vs . Tonpa = win for prisoners
    2nd Prisoner, Candles vs Gon = win for Gon Party
    3rd Prisoner, Blue Freak, vs Kurapika = win for Gon Part

that’s 1 to 2 , so why didn’t he readout over the doors change, small point but it really bugged. me. The bridges were extended and that means the official watching agreed the match was over and Kurapika won.

OVERALL-
    Is it the acting? the art? It just feels a lot weaker than the manga or the earlier production for me. Hisoka has been a huge disappointment, I was really afraid of that guy when we met him in the first anime.

Well the truth is they all feel a bit ….weaker? I really can’t figure out why it’s not working as well for me. The timing and tension feel off somehow.

3. Glossa Bingo says:

@psgels

The part where Majitani doesn’t wake up is in the next episode.

I’m surprised that you thought the Gon part worked better in the old version–especially since this one showcased something the old version didn’t: Gon handles extremely well under pressure. Despite being caught in a difficult situation, he calmly handles his candle, sets it down, and figures out a way to win. In the old series, it isn’t until it gets too hot and he drops his candle that he realizes that the flame will stay lit. And didn’t you think that Sedokan, the serial bomber, overacted in the original version? His delivery is significantly subtler in this version.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean when referring to Majitani’s inner monologues. They’re all in the old series too. He’s supposed to be hamming it up in general–everyone there knows he’s a complete joke except for Leorio. In fact, I found it an improvement to see him overacting–that’s literally what his character is doing in the moment. He was sent to prison for tax fraud: his whole persona was a lie.

Can you delve into how you think Senritsu will be ruined?

4. Glossa Bingo says:

@jzar

Even though the bridges extended, the match hadn’t ended yet. You’ll understand next episode. Notice that the scoreboard on Gon’s side hasn’t changed from 1 victory to 2 yet.

5. Glossa Bingo says:

Sorry for the triple post! I just realized I misread your sentence about Gon’s fight–my mistake. Disregard the first half of my first post.

6. Kiarae says:

Dude, Majitani is Kazuki Yao! What do you expect from that kind of voice cast; he’s known for his exceptional ability to ham it up! XD

I really enjoyed Kurapika this fight though. The animation on his eyes was gorgeous and I felt the VA finally got him perfect. I do see why you’re mentioning Senritsu already since I’m a little worried, but I think part of how that goes will also rely on the casting. Just hope for the best for now!

7. kevin says:

By Senritsu, I presume you are referring to Melody the music-based nen user in the Yorknew City arc. I will tell you this now and believe me when I say this; this series of Hunter x Hunter is going to follow the manga perfectly. Mood changes and all.

The Hunter Exam arc is relatively light-hearted and hopeful in spirit despite the death count, but by the time we reach Yorknew City I am certain this series will be full throttle darkness. It has already shown how dark it can truly be, with the Killua scene on the airship which might I add featured blood.

As for character portrayals I have to say, every character has been absolutely spot on to the manga. Whereas the older anime series altered almost every characters personality for the worse. Gon no longer was childlike in the older series, Killua was too “evil” in the Hunter exam in the older series, Hisoka was not serious enough and instead of being a calculating and intelligent psychopath he was made into a killer clown.

All in all the older series slaughtered the original manga for the most part, with only the Yorknew City arc being somewhat close to the manga, however still managing to get the characterisation completely wrong on most of the Phantom Troupe.

8. Machi says:

@Kevin: I seriously have to wonder if we read and watched the same manga and anime of Hunter X Hunter. I’ve re-read the manga 2 times and the anime re-watched 3 times (local anime station broadcasted it) and in comparison at the very least of handling the characters I would hardly call it butchered.

By butchered or slaughtered one would mean completely missing the point of the character or adding some unnecessary qualities. However, what exactly has changed about the characters pray tell? I do not see of that actually happening. What is clear is that both NA and Madhouse have different interpretations of what they see the characters but neither animation studios miss out on any aspect (can’t say much for Madhouse since its still ongoing) or add anything unnecessarily out of character. The characters are still very much the same without any real deviations to radically alter them. Hisoka may have gotten a short stick but I’ll explain that later though still remained largely in tact, since it was a creative decision on their part.

You may want to clarify what you said with a scene-manga example because that is a pretty big statement without much backing. Especially when you begin to consider chapter titles trying to emphasize a certain aspect and Killua being ‘evil’ during the exam fits as he’s supposed to be a foil to Gon, and you even have chapter titles emphasizing this at that point with the very first ‘The Light and the Shadow’ chapter which Togashi has used twice and probably has a pretty big significance for him to use.

Atmosphere wise NA managed to capture the different moods well, atmosphere is one thing NA clearly focused on. Indeed, NA removed a lot of the lines from the unseen narrator explaining things but this was to keep the focus on the atmosphere so you could really tell what they aimed for. Animation wise I’m glad NA deviated from the manga and actually improved on it since Yorkshin arc was the start of the decline of Togashi’s art, this is were hiatus started to begin =/. Moreover, Yorkshin arc was actually far more sparse than the animation would like you to believe – remember chapters would generally hover between 14-16 pages and that is WITHOUT a double spread. Just compare the negotiations of Pakunoda in the anime VS the manga to see the clear cut difference that I think the anime did a great job at adding much needed content for better continuity or mood setting that still remained faithful to the original. Even the Mito filler episode still worked well with highlighting the difference between Gon and Killua – which as noted earlier is of emphasis just by looking at the titles of the chapters so I would hardly call NA’s focus on Killua’s ‘evil’ or rather assassin upbringing unwaranted when they did consider the relevance of chapter titles (which should be clear to you why this is important at the latest manga arc with regard to the growth of Gon & Killua) that basically did the same thing (heck even looking at the panels Killua was always in black panels more than Gon so things being in color they’d have to find a different way to stress this).

Hisoka is a more complicated case since he was a killer clown in the first place – especially at the hunter exam. We do not see his cunning at all in the hunter exam since everybody was just fodder for him, and he breezes through it. Its only at the Battle Tower that we really see this occur which NA’s choice to remove narration really hurt as we didn’t get to understand the mind games he played using Bungee Gum against his opponents at the Battle Tower which the manga goes at lengths to explain. While we didn’t get to see his prowess as a battle genius we still did get to see his cunning manipulative side just fine with the Yorkshin arc, but that was because it didn’t require the same dissecting that was done in the battle tower since this was more evident by itself with monologues. Still over all the point still stands that Hisoka is a freakishly strong and playful fighter that you just can’t figure out easily and uses his brains to get what he wants (namely more ‘toys’ to play with) – which is the point of it all.

Then we have soundtrack which is a whole other layer to atmosphere which I think shows even more the strong attention that NA was giving atmosphere. The soundtrack and OP & ED songs are all quite good. Can’t say much yet about Madhouse but can’t say any of theirs stick to mind yet (but again realize I watched the first animation a lot so that would help in my memory).

I would still say despite NA’s slight alterations and removal of narration in favor of atmosphere its still overall quite a faithful adaptation. Story doesn’t change, surprisingly fillers while extra were very much well placed and thought off (Mito filler keeps coming back to mind, characters are still who they are without any new characteristics placed on them (interpretation is something subjective that I wouldn’t try to fault at as long as there is nothing missed out crucially or added unnecessarily its all good), they also didn’t re-order chapters or anything, and more importantly added detail where it was needed (animation and continuity wise).

9. kevin says:

@Machi

I will sum up my previous post for you as clearly as possible, as you seem to have missed the entire point of it.

– Killua is never once in Togashi’s original manga considered ‘Evil’ instead he is considered dark. The characterisation NA missed that Madhouse understand is that while he is still an assassin, he is also a 12 year old kid. Togashi captured the bond of children to perfection and the friendship of Gon and Killua in my opinion signifies the relationship of Light and Darkness within us all. Light and Darkness need each other to balance one another out. That is the core facet of Gon and Killua, something that was not present in NA.

– As for Hisoka, he was never a killer clown. He was always an incredibly strong, graceful, eccentric and mysterious killer. He is an enigma through and through. Is he a bad guy or is a he a good guy? It’s hard to say, he killed to quench his bloodlust and considers people to be his toys. He is an absolutely disturbed character, which begs the audience the question: what made him this way? It’s a question that Togashi has still not answered to this day and that sense of mystery and disturbance is the central focus of Hisoka. Once again NA instead made him into a killer clown who lacked even a hint of mystery surrounding him. You never thought “Why is he this way?” the question was never pondered upon. However that is the central focus of his character in the Madhouse adaptation. A prime example is the scene in which he stacks up a house of cards only to knock it over – a form of destruction that gives him sexual pleasure. That right there tells us something about him as a character. That destruction is something that has consumed this character to the point that simply destroying weak things is no longer fun to him, instead he wants to challenge the strong, to get the pleasure of destroying something powerful. Once again “Why is he this way?” That is the question Togashi raises.

– To conclude I honestly believe that this adaptation has perfectly translated Togashi’s characterisation from the manga into animated form, whereas the NA version never understood these characters.

10. Machi says:

@Kevin: Let me sum up some points too~.

– Killua: Notice how I worded ‘evil’ I’m using your words. I never considered Killua evil its clear that he is dark and very much troubled because of his upbringing. The original never actually tried to emphasize he was evil as much as killing is his nature. A natural reaction as we would see in the Mito filler. That natural reaction or rather his assassin mentality is something that is shown quite well to be both good and bad in its own rights. I don’t need to elaborate why its good, since its basically allowed Killua to think things through for both him and Gon. While bad because again this should be obvious with how little he cared for life early on, but noticeably he doesn’t opt for this option as much anyways. In the end he is very much dark not evil, I do not see why you considered him evil from the NA when its pretty much always emphasized that it is his upbringing and of course Illumi that forces him to act in an assassin manner. I do think he is still a 12 year old kid with a good relationship with Gon (Talks on the ship after the retrieve the number exam, Mito Filler as a day in the life of Gon, Battle Tower the two goofing around, Yorkshin hotel scene with Killua even suggesting to Gon to watch lewd things). Heck the filler I just mentioned is a pretty good example that they did emphasize the two are friends.

-Hisoka: I think this is largely your interpretation already. I agree he is in your words ‘incredibly strong, graceful, eccentric and mysterious killer’ but I’d emphasize more on eccentric to the point of creepy. Need I remind you the ‘boner’ reaction he acquired at the thought of fighting Kuroro or his teasing of Gon and Killua? On the part of graceful this I disagree with and would replace with cunning and sly that is after all what the Bungee Gum tactic is. Mysterious killer is something I feel you’re off as much as battle hungry, he kills yes but its battles that he wants more again him having a boner at the thought of fighting pretty much proves that. However, I think you simplified what it means to be a killer clown. Clown should be pretty clear its not just his appearance but his entire attitude, though its pretty clear part of the literal thing is that he does dress up like a jester. Clown sums up well for me about him is that Hisoka is very playful. Course we already know what a game or playing with him means. Its not that he’s malicious so much so that he just derives fun from battle. That I think was emphasized just fine, and the VA did a pretty damn good job at that. I do not see this as disappearing from NA. I’m not sure how you define ‘killer’ on your vocabulary but from NA I would see Hisoka as a killer in the sense that a) he won’t hesitate to kill once his blood starts boiling and b) that he’s kick ass strong.

Mysterious is something I’d easily contend with because I don’t see him as a mystery as things unfolded. He’s pretty much a guy who’s seeking strong people to battle and the lengths he’d go through pretty much show this. I’m not interested in Hisoka’s background or even bothered wondering that instead I wonder ‘who will he be fighting next?’. His actions make sense when you consider that it is all for him searching for an opponent.

11. Machi says:

Additional note: I’d like to add its still much to early to claim ‘- To conclude I honestly believe that this adaptation has perfectly translated Togashi’s characterisation from the manga into animated form, whereas the NA version never understood these characters.’ Anime isn’t finished we’ve not seen how they handle everything, etc. My real gripe with your comment really is that you pronounce this version too definitive when its not even finished ^^”. That is why I do not comment on how this series has handled X so far in relation to Y I can’t make a definitive statement of my opinions. Its not formed yet much like the anime isn’t finished.

12. ljf says:

Noitamina’s adaptation was good, but it didn’t capture the intentions of the manga that well at all. It was extremely dark and moments of lighthartedness were sparse. To be concise, it was too serious. I’m not saying the manga wasn’t serious – it just didn’t take ITSELF too seriously. I mean, the author even put pictures of himself as a dog in between panels and talked about his marriage and children in spaces between chapters. He did not see his work as the “political thriller of the decade” that the adapters did. This show is a lot more fun in general than the original. The original was amazing in it’s darker atmosphere, however. I am disappointed that this show has toned down the violence though. In the manga dismemberment and entrails were abundant and I haven’t seen any of those yet…

13. ljf says:

Also guys I think you should realize that Hisoka’s intense aura of fear was a product of the original anime adaptation. In the manga Hisoka wasn’t designed to be as “horrifying and intense” as he was in the anime. The characterization of Hisoka in the anime was harsher due to the fact that they had to rush it due to their limit of episodes and they couldn’t develop his character over a longer period of time.

I’m more worried about what will happen AFTER the Yorkshin Arc, though. I mean, Kurapica and Leorio are pretty much MIA for both the Greed Island arc AND the Chimera Ant Arc. Both of those arcs are awesome, but I’m just afraid that giving Leorio and Kurapica too much emphasis as main characters might backfire in the long run. In the true HunterxHunter that this adaptation is trying to make a reality, “main character” is a subjective term lol.

14. imredjimmy says:

Hum…I didn’t read the manga or watch the first anime so I enjoy this XD I can’t really join your debates!

15. Machi says:

@ljf: ‘I mean, the author even put pictures of himself as a dog in between panels and talked about his marriage and children in spaces between chapters.’ You do realize those are more of extras that you would see in any volume release of any manga right? They are absent from magazine releases, it is pretty much value added incentive by any manga. Including serious ones. Also to be exact they tend to place this information at the sleeves of the manga, such as the information of his life or near the very end. As for side pannel ones those are usually thanks or just a vignette of how the volume came about or such. This isn’t exclusive to HXH manga nor is it a style of the work.

As for him drawing himself as a dog again you do know a lot of mangakas draw weird avatars for themselves… This doesn’t really speak out about ‘humor’

16. Roninski says:

“and especially the blue guy (why is he suddenly bright blue?)”

Yeah, I loved this episode, but the guy being blue really put me off… In the manga, he was like Frankenstein’s monster – sewn together from a bunch of other people’s body parts, and it really bugged me that he was pure blue…

17. ljf says:

@Machi:

HunterxHunter is the only manga I’ve ever read XD

18. Machi says:

@ljf: It’s actually pretty much a common thing, and if you’re reading scanlations there is a good chance you’ll miss them as most groups do not bother translating or even remove these pages – then again not all groups bother re-scanlating volume releases. If you do buy manga though or read RAWs they should be there.

Another common practice other than the ones you mentioned, though not done in HXH, are joke pages and sidestories. Those along with cleaned up or improved art are the biggest pull to buying/reading volume releases. Shame you don’t read manga there are so much good recommendations which aren’t animated.

Customize
reaLjustified
Well when the series is two decades old how is it an accomplishment? There are one shots that make me feel more emotionally attached to the story.
Badesh
Hell, Naruto final arc turned out to be one of the most holistic storytelling i've encountered in a while. The character developement ties in so nicely with the whole universe. It's a great accomplishement growing a pop anime into a mature mystic saga. i highly reccomend it even for newcomers. just watch past great ninja war.
*last two
I'll leave it to someone else to pick the last one.
Might add trouble every day by Claire Denis and Livid by Julien Maury.
Thanks for that. So now its under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator, haute tension, nekromantik, the tunnel.
Ah I had forgotten, I'd meant to see Haute tension.
Of those I haven't seen nekromantik or dead things.
That's all I can think for now. I'm sure K-off and others will have more inspiring suggestions down the line
For pychological edge: Haute Tension, Lake Mungo, Three... Extremes (actually the 3 shorts are all interesting), The Tunnel 2011 (underaprreciate Aussie found-footage)
For sick minds, Man Bites Dog, a Serbian film, Der Tolesking, Human Centipede (1&2)
Alright, for pure horror pleasures: Necromantik (1987), Green Inferno, Dead/Alive (my childhood's nightmare), Children Shouldn't Play woth Dead Things (more like a guity pleasure)
Haha scary indeed
@Mario: The scariest thing about the haunting was that a remake of it exists that betrays the original.
Now, let me check my own horror list for more reccomendation
Hahaha! Possession predates urotsukidouji =P in terms of the tentacle monster thing.
And I heard that the Haunting (1963) is good as well. Some david lynch movies (Lost Highway for example) could be claasified as horror too
Shame he passed away early this year. But he did say that the violent relationship in that movie was based on his own divorce.
@Mario: I think Polish directed films are apparently rooted in theater. Though I believe he is a Dadaist.
@Mario: Apparently Possession and diabal, all of his works are full of hidden political messages.
@Mario: That director is genuinely off-the wall insane, silver globe and l'amour braque actually make that look sane.
Possession the movie that Isabelle Adjani stared in? God, that movie exhausted me
Innocents was so much better than its remake the others, the atmosphere was a lot lot stronger too, black and white really adds to the mood too.
ha! I loved those.
This year I'm looking for silly horror movies predominently.
Let scare Jessica to death; the innocents 1961, Kill List, goodnight Mommy
My alltime favourite horror film is Possession.
No fuck it, no sequels. Currently it stands at under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator.
Too lazy to check out which horror movies that you've watched, but sure I can reccomend you some, from shitty to pure camp.
Actually wait, under the shadow is out next week so that means I only need 5 more.
Or maybe a 12 days is more feasible, easier. So that brings it down to six more. Guilty pleasures accepted.
Any room for shitty horror in that list?
I have to do a 30 days of halloween list soon. Want to limit it to horror films I haven't seen. So far I have the return of the living dead trilogy , dagon, from beyond and the re-animator.
I also recently watched stranger things. I felt it did right by its 80s throw back, straight down to the references, score, costumes. Pretty cool monster too and the younger actors I thought were mostly good. Kind of slightly reminded me of the goonies to a small extent. I think it succeeded in being fairly heartfelt. Although I did find it a bit padded.
About the new season, I'm more interested in how these dark horse titles will turn out: Flip-flappers, ClassicalLoid, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Yuri on Ice
@Aidan: I had Stranger Things on my queue list for a while now, but don't plan to watch it anytime soon. Glad you enjoy it.
ReZero is the only show I finished in about 2 seasons. Hopefully the Working spinoff is up to par.
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.

mob-psycho-100-12-3

Mob Psycho 100 – 12

It is a remarkably cheap tactic to pull a fake death right before the climax but that aside this acted as a decent finale to Mob Psycho. Through it’s clear that a second season is needed as the story does set up for one and sadly I doubt this has as high a chance of […]

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373