Posted by psgels on 27 November 2011 with categories: Hunter X Hunter

The first half of this episode, I think it actually worked better than in the first series. It was simple and more to the point, just like Gon really. It had a nice build-up of “oh, this is going to take forever”, only to solve things in minutes afterwards. Although, Gon’s voice actress was trying a bit too hard again in this episode. It’s mostly her range. She’s very easy in just yelling all of her lines.

The second half however… it was a bit of a mess. And it’s not the pacing really. When you just look at pacing, then the new series is actually better than the first. It’s just that the voice acting is so much, much worse. The voice actors are trying too hard and especially the blue guy (why is he suddenly bright blue?) was hamming it up. Compare that to the first season, which had fantastic voice acting and which had voice actors who knew exactly when they should be subtle, and when to raise their voices.

What’s even worse is that we suddenly got to see entire inner monologues of that blue guy, which killed off all of the tension that was there already. It added some nonsensical stuff, while it cut out the stuff that made him quite charming (like the way in which he broke his fist, for example). Also, I’m surprised here: the way in which he refused to wake up, was actually a filler of the first season? I really would not have guessed. That really was something good they added back there.

And then there was Kurapika, who really managed to save this half when he saw the spider. It again suffers a bit too much from acting too hard when compared to the first series, but the moment where Kurapika got his red eyes: that was just wonderful. It wasn’t just a great scene. It also showed that the creators here know how to deliver the darker scenes.

Overall I’m quite positive of this series so far. The creators might actually nail it. However, there is one character who I’m positive that they’re going to ruin if they keep going on like this: Senritsu. I won’t say why, for the sake of the people who aren’t familiar with Hunter X Hunter, but I really cannot imagine her with the current focus on overacting from this series.
Rating: * (Good)

1. Mira says:

Nope. It happens in the manga. It should be covered in the next episode as it becomes part of Leorio’s match. I don’t know if this counts as spoilers but the fight was clearly shown to be a draw because the scores never change.

While I didn’t like how the blue guy kept on having monologues, I imagine it’s because the show wants to lengthen the Kurapika match. I really liked how the visuals were done in this episode. And Kurapika’s eyes were done in such a way that they aren’t just bright red, the look awesome– and definitely something you can imagine other people collecting and bidding for at a high price.

Well, with the mention of Genei Ryodan– I have to wonder how they’ll portray these guys as well. Heck, I wonder how Yorkshin is going to be! Especially when it was the very highlight of the original series, I don’t think there’s any way you can outdo what Nippon Animation did with that arc.

2. jzar says:

Some things were very good here. Yet…. Overall though, even though it’s very true to the original story it really didn’t convey the right feel. In the older anime version I was held breathless by these episodes, the tension was so thick that I almost couldn’t watch.

I remember the it was the first time I felt that Kurapika was more than just a girly face. It was like holy sh*t, he really can be dangerous.

It’s odd…..the matches so far=

1st prisoner vs . Tonpa = win for prisoners
    2nd Prisoner, Candles vs Gon = win for Gon Party
    3rd Prisoner, Blue Freak, vs Kurapika = win for Gon Part

that’s 1 to 2 , so why didn’t he readout over the doors change, small point but it really bugged. me. The bridges were extended and that means the official watching agreed the match was over and Kurapika won.

OVERALL-
    Is it the acting? the art? It just feels a lot weaker than the manga or the earlier production for me. Hisoka has been a huge disappointment, I was really afraid of that guy when we met him in the first anime.

Well the truth is they all feel a bit ….weaker? I really can’t figure out why it’s not working as well for me. The timing and tension feel off somehow.

3. Glossa Bingo says:

@psgels

The part where Majitani doesn’t wake up is in the next episode.

I’m surprised that you thought the Gon part worked better in the old version–especially since this one showcased something the old version didn’t: Gon handles extremely well under pressure. Despite being caught in a difficult situation, he calmly handles his candle, sets it down, and figures out a way to win. In the old series, it isn’t until it gets too hot and he drops his candle that he realizes that the flame will stay lit. And didn’t you think that Sedokan, the serial bomber, overacted in the original version? His delivery is significantly subtler in this version.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean when referring to Majitani’s inner monologues. They’re all in the old series too. He’s supposed to be hamming it up in general–everyone there knows he’s a complete joke except for Leorio. In fact, I found it an improvement to see him overacting–that’s literally what his character is doing in the moment. He was sent to prison for tax fraud: his whole persona was a lie.

Can you delve into how you think Senritsu will be ruined?

4. Glossa Bingo says:

@jzar

Even though the bridges extended, the match hadn’t ended yet. You’ll understand next episode. Notice that the scoreboard on Gon’s side hasn’t changed from 1 victory to 2 yet.

5. Glossa Bingo says:

Sorry for the triple post! I just realized I misread your sentence about Gon’s fight–my mistake. Disregard the first half of my first post.

6. Kiarae says:

Dude, Majitani is Kazuki Yao! What do you expect from that kind of voice cast; he’s known for his exceptional ability to ham it up! XD

I really enjoyed Kurapika this fight though. The animation on his eyes was gorgeous and I felt the VA finally got him perfect. I do see why you’re mentioning Senritsu already since I’m a little worried, but I think part of how that goes will also rely on the casting. Just hope for the best for now!

7. kevin says:

By Senritsu, I presume you are referring to Melody the music-based nen user in the Yorknew City arc. I will tell you this now and believe me when I say this; this series of Hunter x Hunter is going to follow the manga perfectly. Mood changes and all.

The Hunter Exam arc is relatively light-hearted and hopeful in spirit despite the death count, but by the time we reach Yorknew City I am certain this series will be full throttle darkness. It has already shown how dark it can truly be, with the Killua scene on the airship which might I add featured blood.

As for character portrayals I have to say, every character has been absolutely spot on to the manga. Whereas the older anime series altered almost every characters personality for the worse. Gon no longer was childlike in the older series, Killua was too “evil” in the Hunter exam in the older series, Hisoka was not serious enough and instead of being a calculating and intelligent psychopath he was made into a killer clown.

All in all the older series slaughtered the original manga for the most part, with only the Yorknew City arc being somewhat close to the manga, however still managing to get the characterisation completely wrong on most of the Phantom Troupe.

8. Machi says:

@Kevin: I seriously have to wonder if we read and watched the same manga and anime of Hunter X Hunter. I’ve re-read the manga 2 times and the anime re-watched 3 times (local anime station broadcasted it) and in comparison at the very least of handling the characters I would hardly call it butchered.

By butchered or slaughtered one would mean completely missing the point of the character or adding some unnecessary qualities. However, what exactly has changed about the characters pray tell? I do not see of that actually happening. What is clear is that both NA and Madhouse have different interpretations of what they see the characters but neither animation studios miss out on any aspect (can’t say much for Madhouse since its still ongoing) or add anything unnecessarily out of character. The characters are still very much the same without any real deviations to radically alter them. Hisoka may have gotten a short stick but I’ll explain that later though still remained largely in tact, since it was a creative decision on their part.

You may want to clarify what you said with a scene-manga example because that is a pretty big statement without much backing. Especially when you begin to consider chapter titles trying to emphasize a certain aspect and Killua being ‘evil’ during the exam fits as he’s supposed to be a foil to Gon, and you even have chapter titles emphasizing this at that point with the very first ‘The Light and the Shadow’ chapter which Togashi has used twice and probably has a pretty big significance for him to use.

Atmosphere wise NA managed to capture the different moods well, atmosphere is one thing NA clearly focused on. Indeed, NA removed a lot of the lines from the unseen narrator explaining things but this was to keep the focus on the atmosphere so you could really tell what they aimed for. Animation wise I’m glad NA deviated from the manga and actually improved on it since Yorkshin arc was the start of the decline of Togashi’s art, this is were hiatus started to begin =/. Moreover, Yorkshin arc was actually far more sparse than the animation would like you to believe – remember chapters would generally hover between 14-16 pages and that is WITHOUT a double spread. Just compare the negotiations of Pakunoda in the anime VS the manga to see the clear cut difference that I think the anime did a great job at adding much needed content for better continuity or mood setting that still remained faithful to the original. Even the Mito filler episode still worked well with highlighting the difference between Gon and Killua – which as noted earlier is of emphasis just by looking at the titles of the chapters so I would hardly call NA’s focus on Killua’s ‘evil’ or rather assassin upbringing unwaranted when they did consider the relevance of chapter titles (which should be clear to you why this is important at the latest manga arc with regard to the growth of Gon & Killua) that basically did the same thing (heck even looking at the panels Killua was always in black panels more than Gon so things being in color they’d have to find a different way to stress this).

Hisoka is a more complicated case since he was a killer clown in the first place – especially at the hunter exam. We do not see his cunning at all in the hunter exam since everybody was just fodder for him, and he breezes through it. Its only at the Battle Tower that we really see this occur which NA’s choice to remove narration really hurt as we didn’t get to understand the mind games he played using Bungee Gum against his opponents at the Battle Tower which the manga goes at lengths to explain. While we didn’t get to see his prowess as a battle genius we still did get to see his cunning manipulative side just fine with the Yorkshin arc, but that was because it didn’t require the same dissecting that was done in the battle tower since this was more evident by itself with monologues. Still over all the point still stands that Hisoka is a freakishly strong and playful fighter that you just can’t figure out easily and uses his brains to get what he wants (namely more ‘toys’ to play with) – which is the point of it all.

Then we have soundtrack which is a whole other layer to atmosphere which I think shows even more the strong attention that NA was giving atmosphere. The soundtrack and OP & ED songs are all quite good. Can’t say much yet about Madhouse but can’t say any of theirs stick to mind yet (but again realize I watched the first animation a lot so that would help in my memory).

I would still say despite NA’s slight alterations and removal of narration in favor of atmosphere its still overall quite a faithful adaptation. Story doesn’t change, surprisingly fillers while extra were very much well placed and thought off (Mito filler keeps coming back to mind, characters are still who they are without any new characteristics placed on them (interpretation is something subjective that I wouldn’t try to fault at as long as there is nothing missed out crucially or added unnecessarily its all good), they also didn’t re-order chapters or anything, and more importantly added detail where it was needed (animation and continuity wise).

9. kevin says:

@Machi

I will sum up my previous post for you as clearly as possible, as you seem to have missed the entire point of it.

– Killua is never once in Togashi’s original manga considered ‘Evil’ instead he is considered dark. The characterisation NA missed that Madhouse understand is that while he is still an assassin, he is also a 12 year old kid. Togashi captured the bond of children to perfection and the friendship of Gon and Killua in my opinion signifies the relationship of Light and Darkness within us all. Light and Darkness need each other to balance one another out. That is the core facet of Gon and Killua, something that was not present in NA.

– As for Hisoka, he was never a killer clown. He was always an incredibly strong, graceful, eccentric and mysterious killer. He is an enigma through and through. Is he a bad guy or is a he a good guy? It’s hard to say, he killed to quench his bloodlust and considers people to be his toys. He is an absolutely disturbed character, which begs the audience the question: what made him this way? It’s a question that Togashi has still not answered to this day and that sense of mystery and disturbance is the central focus of Hisoka. Once again NA instead made him into a killer clown who lacked even a hint of mystery surrounding him. You never thought “Why is he this way?” the question was never pondered upon. However that is the central focus of his character in the Madhouse adaptation. A prime example is the scene in which he stacks up a house of cards only to knock it over – a form of destruction that gives him sexual pleasure. That right there tells us something about him as a character. That destruction is something that has consumed this character to the point that simply destroying weak things is no longer fun to him, instead he wants to challenge the strong, to get the pleasure of destroying something powerful. Once again “Why is he this way?” That is the question Togashi raises.

– To conclude I honestly believe that this adaptation has perfectly translated Togashi’s characterisation from the manga into animated form, whereas the NA version never understood these characters.

10. Machi says:

@Kevin: Let me sum up some points too~.

– Killua: Notice how I worded ‘evil’ I’m using your words. I never considered Killua evil its clear that he is dark and very much troubled because of his upbringing. The original never actually tried to emphasize he was evil as much as killing is his nature. A natural reaction as we would see in the Mito filler. That natural reaction or rather his assassin mentality is something that is shown quite well to be both good and bad in its own rights. I don’t need to elaborate why its good, since its basically allowed Killua to think things through for both him and Gon. While bad because again this should be obvious with how little he cared for life early on, but noticeably he doesn’t opt for this option as much anyways. In the end he is very much dark not evil, I do not see why you considered him evil from the NA when its pretty much always emphasized that it is his upbringing and of course Illumi that forces him to act in an assassin manner. I do think he is still a 12 year old kid with a good relationship with Gon (Talks on the ship after the retrieve the number exam, Mito Filler as a day in the life of Gon, Battle Tower the two goofing around, Yorkshin hotel scene with Killua even suggesting to Gon to watch lewd things). Heck the filler I just mentioned is a pretty good example that they did emphasize the two are friends.

-Hisoka: I think this is largely your interpretation already. I agree he is in your words ‘incredibly strong, graceful, eccentric and mysterious killer’ but I’d emphasize more on eccentric to the point of creepy. Need I remind you the ‘boner’ reaction he acquired at the thought of fighting Kuroro or his teasing of Gon and Killua? On the part of graceful this I disagree with and would replace with cunning and sly that is after all what the Bungee Gum tactic is. Mysterious killer is something I feel you’re off as much as battle hungry, he kills yes but its battles that he wants more again him having a boner at the thought of fighting pretty much proves that. However, I think you simplified what it means to be a killer clown. Clown should be pretty clear its not just his appearance but his entire attitude, though its pretty clear part of the literal thing is that he does dress up like a jester. Clown sums up well for me about him is that Hisoka is very playful. Course we already know what a game or playing with him means. Its not that he’s malicious so much so that he just derives fun from battle. That I think was emphasized just fine, and the VA did a pretty damn good job at that. I do not see this as disappearing from NA. I’m not sure how you define ‘killer’ on your vocabulary but from NA I would see Hisoka as a killer in the sense that a) he won’t hesitate to kill once his blood starts boiling and b) that he’s kick ass strong.

Mysterious is something I’d easily contend with because I don’t see him as a mystery as things unfolded. He’s pretty much a guy who’s seeking strong people to battle and the lengths he’d go through pretty much show this. I’m not interested in Hisoka’s background or even bothered wondering that instead I wonder ‘who will he be fighting next?’. His actions make sense when you consider that it is all for him searching for an opponent.

11. Machi says:

Additional note: I’d like to add its still much to early to claim ‘- To conclude I honestly believe that this adaptation has perfectly translated Togashi’s characterisation from the manga into animated form, whereas the NA version never understood these characters.’ Anime isn’t finished we’ve not seen how they handle everything, etc. My real gripe with your comment really is that you pronounce this version too definitive when its not even finished ^^”. That is why I do not comment on how this series has handled X so far in relation to Y I can’t make a definitive statement of my opinions. Its not formed yet much like the anime isn’t finished.

12. ljf says:

Noitamina’s adaptation was good, but it didn’t capture the intentions of the manga that well at all. It was extremely dark and moments of lighthartedness were sparse. To be concise, it was too serious. I’m not saying the manga wasn’t serious – it just didn’t take ITSELF too seriously. I mean, the author even put pictures of himself as a dog in between panels and talked about his marriage and children in spaces between chapters. He did not see his work as the “political thriller of the decade” that the adapters did. This show is a lot more fun in general than the original. The original was amazing in it’s darker atmosphere, however. I am disappointed that this show has toned down the violence though. In the manga dismemberment and entrails were abundant and I haven’t seen any of those yet…

13. ljf says:

Also guys I think you should realize that Hisoka’s intense aura of fear was a product of the original anime adaptation. In the manga Hisoka wasn’t designed to be as “horrifying and intense” as he was in the anime. The characterization of Hisoka in the anime was harsher due to the fact that they had to rush it due to their limit of episodes and they couldn’t develop his character over a longer period of time.

I’m more worried about what will happen AFTER the Yorkshin Arc, though. I mean, Kurapica and Leorio are pretty much MIA for both the Greed Island arc AND the Chimera Ant Arc. Both of those arcs are awesome, but I’m just afraid that giving Leorio and Kurapica too much emphasis as main characters might backfire in the long run. In the true HunterxHunter that this adaptation is trying to make a reality, “main character” is a subjective term lol.

14. imredjimmy says:

Hum…I didn’t read the manga or watch the first anime so I enjoy this XD I can’t really join your debates!

15. Machi says:

@ljf: ‘I mean, the author even put pictures of himself as a dog in between panels and talked about his marriage and children in spaces between chapters.’ You do realize those are more of extras that you would see in any volume release of any manga right? They are absent from magazine releases, it is pretty much value added incentive by any manga. Including serious ones. Also to be exact they tend to place this information at the sleeves of the manga, such as the information of his life or near the very end. As for side pannel ones those are usually thanks or just a vignette of how the volume came about or such. This isn’t exclusive to HXH manga nor is it a style of the work.

As for him drawing himself as a dog again you do know a lot of mangakas draw weird avatars for themselves… This doesn’t really speak out about ‘humor’

16. Roninski says:

“and especially the blue guy (why is he suddenly bright blue?)”

Yeah, I loved this episode, but the guy being blue really put me off… In the manga, he was like Frankenstein’s monster – sewn together from a bunch of other people’s body parts, and it really bugged me that he was pure blue…

17. ljf says:

@Machi:

HunterxHunter is the only manga I’ve ever read XD

18. Machi says:

@ljf: It’s actually pretty much a common thing, and if you’re reading scanlations there is a good chance you’ll miss them as most groups do not bother translating or even remove these pages – then again not all groups bother re-scanlating volume releases. If you do buy manga though or read RAWs they should be there.

Another common practice other than the ones you mentioned, though not done in HXH, are joke pages and sidestories. Those along with cleaned up or improved art are the biggest pull to buying/reading volume releases. Shame you don’t read manga there are so much good recommendations which aren’t animated.

@Kaiser: You're right, totally forgot that. Looking forward to this. Also I could have sworn I heard about a new project from Iso (Dennou Coil) last year but I guess I either confused him with someone else or with Children of Ether in which he's involved in some kind of way.
@Amagi: That series was going to be devilman crybaby .
Wasn't Yuasa also doing a series of some sort this year? Haven't watched the movies yet but I loved most of his stuff so far, with Kaiba being my favorite.
Wow, Houseki did not disappoint for me this week.
I enjoyed it for what it was. But I'd say even if you didn't read the subs you probably wouldn't have much trouble following it.
I actually had a look and lu over the wall, coincidentally , there are moments of where Yuasa's imagination/visuals shine through and its a genuinely charming film at times, but it does almost outstay its welcome and there's a sense Yuasa was somewhat restrained this time round, it IS a kids movie and that kind of does need to be taken into account, its not AS mad as mind game or kemonozume.
Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta is subbed, but no idea if the subs are good
And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.

Girls’ Last Tour – 07 [Labyrinth – Cooking]

After one of the most plot-heavy episode last week, Girls’ Last Tour goes back to its minimalist root this time, with only the girls and two interior settings. This could be Girls’ Last Tour’s simplest episode, with the plot can be summed up as those girls go to the ration production facility, at first slightly […]

Inuyashiki – 6 [People of 2chan]

This week Inuyashiki fulfills last weeks predictions in a rather unexpected way. Strap in for some suicide, mass murder and the tail-spin of everyone’s favorite sociopath. Lets jump in! Rather than being a parallel between our two heroes like usual, this episode is focused almost entirely on Hiro. To me, this episode hits loosely on […]

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100