Posted by psgels on 27 November 2011 with categories: Hunter X Hunter

The first half of this episode, I think it actually worked better than in the first series. It was simple and more to the point, just like Gon really. It had a nice build-up of “oh, this is going to take forever”, only to solve things in minutes afterwards. Although, Gon’s voice actress was trying a bit too hard again in this episode. It’s mostly her range. She’s very easy in just yelling all of her lines.

The second half however… it was a bit of a mess. And it’s not the pacing really. When you just look at pacing, then the new series is actually better than the first. It’s just that the voice acting is so much, much worse. The voice actors are trying too hard and especially the blue guy (why is he suddenly bright blue?) was hamming it up. Compare that to the first season, which had fantastic voice acting and which had voice actors who knew exactly when they should be subtle, and when to raise their voices.

What’s even worse is that we suddenly got to see entire inner monologues of that blue guy, which killed off all of the tension that was there already. It added some nonsensical stuff, while it cut out the stuff that made him quite charming (like the way in which he broke his fist, for example). Also, I’m surprised here: the way in which he refused to wake up, was actually a filler of the first season? I really would not have guessed. That really was something good they added back there.

And then there was Kurapika, who really managed to save this half when he saw the spider. It again suffers a bit too much from acting too hard when compared to the first series, but the moment where Kurapika got his red eyes: that was just wonderful. It wasn’t just a great scene. It also showed that the creators here know how to deliver the darker scenes.

Overall I’m quite positive of this series so far. The creators might actually nail it. However, there is one character who I’m positive that they’re going to ruin if they keep going on like this: Senritsu. I won’t say why, for the sake of the people who aren’t familiar with Hunter X Hunter, but I really cannot imagine her with the current focus on overacting from this series.
Rating: * (Good)

1. Mira says:

Nope. It happens in the manga. It should be covered in the next episode as it becomes part of Leorio’s match. I don’t know if this counts as spoilers but the fight was clearly shown to be a draw because the scores never change.

While I didn’t like how the blue guy kept on having monologues, I imagine it’s because the show wants to lengthen the Kurapika match. I really liked how the visuals were done in this episode. And Kurapika’s eyes were done in such a way that they aren’t just bright red, the look awesome– and definitely something you can imagine other people collecting and bidding for at a high price.

Well, with the mention of Genei Ryodan– I have to wonder how they’ll portray these guys as well. Heck, I wonder how Yorkshin is going to be! Especially when it was the very highlight of the original series, I don’t think there’s any way you can outdo what Nippon Animation did with that arc.

2. jzar says:

Some things were very good here. Yet…. Overall though, even though it’s very true to the original story it really didn’t convey the right feel. In the older anime version I was held breathless by these episodes, the tension was so thick that I almost couldn’t watch.

I remember the it was the first time I felt that Kurapika was more than just a girly face. It was like holy sh*t, he really can be dangerous.

It’s odd…..the matches so far=

1st prisoner vs . Tonpa = win for prisoners
    2nd Prisoner, Candles vs Gon = win for Gon Party
    3rd Prisoner, Blue Freak, vs Kurapika = win for Gon Part

that’s 1 to 2 , so why didn’t he readout over the doors change, small point but it really bugged. me. The bridges were extended and that means the official watching agreed the match was over and Kurapika won.

OVERALL-
    Is it the acting? the art? It just feels a lot weaker than the manga or the earlier production for me. Hisoka has been a huge disappointment, I was really afraid of that guy when we met him in the first anime.

Well the truth is they all feel a bit ….weaker? I really can’t figure out why it’s not working as well for me. The timing and tension feel off somehow.

3. Glossa Bingo says:

@psgels

The part where Majitani doesn’t wake up is in the next episode.

I’m surprised that you thought the Gon part worked better in the old version–especially since this one showcased something the old version didn’t: Gon handles extremely well under pressure. Despite being caught in a difficult situation, he calmly handles his candle, sets it down, and figures out a way to win. In the old series, it isn’t until it gets too hot and he drops his candle that he realizes that the flame will stay lit. And didn’t you think that Sedokan, the serial bomber, overacted in the original version? His delivery is significantly subtler in this version.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean when referring to Majitani’s inner monologues. They’re all in the old series too. He’s supposed to be hamming it up in general–everyone there knows he’s a complete joke except for Leorio. In fact, I found it an improvement to see him overacting–that’s literally what his character is doing in the moment. He was sent to prison for tax fraud: his whole persona was a lie.

Can you delve into how you think Senritsu will be ruined?

4. Glossa Bingo says:

@jzar

Even though the bridges extended, the match hadn’t ended yet. You’ll understand next episode. Notice that the scoreboard on Gon’s side hasn’t changed from 1 victory to 2 yet.

5. Glossa Bingo says:

Sorry for the triple post! I just realized I misread your sentence about Gon’s fight–my mistake. Disregard the first half of my first post.

6. Kiarae says:

Dude, Majitani is Kazuki Yao! What do you expect from that kind of voice cast; he’s known for his exceptional ability to ham it up! XD

I really enjoyed Kurapika this fight though. The animation on his eyes was gorgeous and I felt the VA finally got him perfect. I do see why you’re mentioning Senritsu already since I’m a little worried, but I think part of how that goes will also rely on the casting. Just hope for the best for now!

7. kevin says:

By Senritsu, I presume you are referring to Melody the music-based nen user in the Yorknew City arc. I will tell you this now and believe me when I say this; this series of Hunter x Hunter is going to follow the manga perfectly. Mood changes and all.

The Hunter Exam arc is relatively light-hearted and hopeful in spirit despite the death count, but by the time we reach Yorknew City I am certain this series will be full throttle darkness. It has already shown how dark it can truly be, with the Killua scene on the airship which might I add featured blood.

As for character portrayals I have to say, every character has been absolutely spot on to the manga. Whereas the older anime series altered almost every characters personality for the worse. Gon no longer was childlike in the older series, Killua was too “evil” in the Hunter exam in the older series, Hisoka was not serious enough and instead of being a calculating and intelligent psychopath he was made into a killer clown.

All in all the older series slaughtered the original manga for the most part, with only the Yorknew City arc being somewhat close to the manga, however still managing to get the characterisation completely wrong on most of the Phantom Troupe.

8. Machi says:

@Kevin: I seriously have to wonder if we read and watched the same manga and anime of Hunter X Hunter. I’ve re-read the manga 2 times and the anime re-watched 3 times (local anime station broadcasted it) and in comparison at the very least of handling the characters I would hardly call it butchered.

By butchered or slaughtered one would mean completely missing the point of the character or adding some unnecessary qualities. However, what exactly has changed about the characters pray tell? I do not see of that actually happening. What is clear is that both NA and Madhouse have different interpretations of what they see the characters but neither animation studios miss out on any aspect (can’t say much for Madhouse since its still ongoing) or add anything unnecessarily out of character. The characters are still very much the same without any real deviations to radically alter them. Hisoka may have gotten a short stick but I’ll explain that later though still remained largely in tact, since it was a creative decision on their part.

You may want to clarify what you said with a scene-manga example because that is a pretty big statement without much backing. Especially when you begin to consider chapter titles trying to emphasize a certain aspect and Killua being ‘evil’ during the exam fits as he’s supposed to be a foil to Gon, and you even have chapter titles emphasizing this at that point with the very first ‘The Light and the Shadow’ chapter which Togashi has used twice and probably has a pretty big significance for him to use.

Atmosphere wise NA managed to capture the different moods well, atmosphere is one thing NA clearly focused on. Indeed, NA removed a lot of the lines from the unseen narrator explaining things but this was to keep the focus on the atmosphere so you could really tell what they aimed for. Animation wise I’m glad NA deviated from the manga and actually improved on it since Yorkshin arc was the start of the decline of Togashi’s art, this is were hiatus started to begin =/. Moreover, Yorkshin arc was actually far more sparse than the animation would like you to believe – remember chapters would generally hover between 14-16 pages and that is WITHOUT a double spread. Just compare the negotiations of Pakunoda in the anime VS the manga to see the clear cut difference that I think the anime did a great job at adding much needed content for better continuity or mood setting that still remained faithful to the original. Even the Mito filler episode still worked well with highlighting the difference between Gon and Killua – which as noted earlier is of emphasis just by looking at the titles of the chapters so I would hardly call NA’s focus on Killua’s ‘evil’ or rather assassin upbringing unwaranted when they did consider the relevance of chapter titles (which should be clear to you why this is important at the latest manga arc with regard to the growth of Gon & Killua) that basically did the same thing (heck even looking at the panels Killua was always in black panels more than Gon so things being in color they’d have to find a different way to stress this).

Hisoka is a more complicated case since he was a killer clown in the first place – especially at the hunter exam. We do not see his cunning at all in the hunter exam since everybody was just fodder for him, and he breezes through it. Its only at the Battle Tower that we really see this occur which NA’s choice to remove narration really hurt as we didn’t get to understand the mind games he played using Bungee Gum against his opponents at the Battle Tower which the manga goes at lengths to explain. While we didn’t get to see his prowess as a battle genius we still did get to see his cunning manipulative side just fine with the Yorkshin arc, but that was because it didn’t require the same dissecting that was done in the battle tower since this was more evident by itself with monologues. Still over all the point still stands that Hisoka is a freakishly strong and playful fighter that you just can’t figure out easily and uses his brains to get what he wants (namely more ‘toys’ to play with) – which is the point of it all.

Then we have soundtrack which is a whole other layer to atmosphere which I think shows even more the strong attention that NA was giving atmosphere. The soundtrack and OP & ED songs are all quite good. Can’t say much yet about Madhouse but can’t say any of theirs stick to mind yet (but again realize I watched the first animation a lot so that would help in my memory).

I would still say despite NA’s slight alterations and removal of narration in favor of atmosphere its still overall quite a faithful adaptation. Story doesn’t change, surprisingly fillers while extra were very much well placed and thought off (Mito filler keeps coming back to mind, characters are still who they are without any new characteristics placed on them (interpretation is something subjective that I wouldn’t try to fault at as long as there is nothing missed out crucially or added unnecessarily its all good), they also didn’t re-order chapters or anything, and more importantly added detail where it was needed (animation and continuity wise).

9. kevin says:

@Machi

I will sum up my previous post for you as clearly as possible, as you seem to have missed the entire point of it.

– Killua is never once in Togashi’s original manga considered ‘Evil’ instead he is considered dark. The characterisation NA missed that Madhouse understand is that while he is still an assassin, he is also a 12 year old kid. Togashi captured the bond of children to perfection and the friendship of Gon and Killua in my opinion signifies the relationship of Light and Darkness within us all. Light and Darkness need each other to balance one another out. That is the core facet of Gon and Killua, something that was not present in NA.

– As for Hisoka, he was never a killer clown. He was always an incredibly strong, graceful, eccentric and mysterious killer. He is an enigma through and through. Is he a bad guy or is a he a good guy? It’s hard to say, he killed to quench his bloodlust and considers people to be his toys. He is an absolutely disturbed character, which begs the audience the question: what made him this way? It’s a question that Togashi has still not answered to this day and that sense of mystery and disturbance is the central focus of Hisoka. Once again NA instead made him into a killer clown who lacked even a hint of mystery surrounding him. You never thought “Why is he this way?” the question was never pondered upon. However that is the central focus of his character in the Madhouse adaptation. A prime example is the scene in which he stacks up a house of cards only to knock it over – a form of destruction that gives him sexual pleasure. That right there tells us something about him as a character. That destruction is something that has consumed this character to the point that simply destroying weak things is no longer fun to him, instead he wants to challenge the strong, to get the pleasure of destroying something powerful. Once again “Why is he this way?” That is the question Togashi raises.

– To conclude I honestly believe that this adaptation has perfectly translated Togashi’s characterisation from the manga into animated form, whereas the NA version never understood these characters.

10. Machi says:

@Kevin: Let me sum up some points too~.

– Killua: Notice how I worded ‘evil’ I’m using your words. I never considered Killua evil its clear that he is dark and very much troubled because of his upbringing. The original never actually tried to emphasize he was evil as much as killing is his nature. A natural reaction as we would see in the Mito filler. That natural reaction or rather his assassin mentality is something that is shown quite well to be both good and bad in its own rights. I don’t need to elaborate why its good, since its basically allowed Killua to think things through for both him and Gon. While bad because again this should be obvious with how little he cared for life early on, but noticeably he doesn’t opt for this option as much anyways. In the end he is very much dark not evil, I do not see why you considered him evil from the NA when its pretty much always emphasized that it is his upbringing and of course Illumi that forces him to act in an assassin manner. I do think he is still a 12 year old kid with a good relationship with Gon (Talks on the ship after the retrieve the number exam, Mito Filler as a day in the life of Gon, Battle Tower the two goofing around, Yorkshin hotel scene with Killua even suggesting to Gon to watch lewd things). Heck the filler I just mentioned is a pretty good example that they did emphasize the two are friends.

-Hisoka: I think this is largely your interpretation already. I agree he is in your words ‘incredibly strong, graceful, eccentric and mysterious killer’ but I’d emphasize more on eccentric to the point of creepy. Need I remind you the ‘boner’ reaction he acquired at the thought of fighting Kuroro or his teasing of Gon and Killua? On the part of graceful this I disagree with and would replace with cunning and sly that is after all what the Bungee Gum tactic is. Mysterious killer is something I feel you’re off as much as battle hungry, he kills yes but its battles that he wants more again him having a boner at the thought of fighting pretty much proves that. However, I think you simplified what it means to be a killer clown. Clown should be pretty clear its not just his appearance but his entire attitude, though its pretty clear part of the literal thing is that he does dress up like a jester. Clown sums up well for me about him is that Hisoka is very playful. Course we already know what a game or playing with him means. Its not that he’s malicious so much so that he just derives fun from battle. That I think was emphasized just fine, and the VA did a pretty damn good job at that. I do not see this as disappearing from NA. I’m not sure how you define ‘killer’ on your vocabulary but from NA I would see Hisoka as a killer in the sense that a) he won’t hesitate to kill once his blood starts boiling and b) that he’s kick ass strong.

Mysterious is something I’d easily contend with because I don’t see him as a mystery as things unfolded. He’s pretty much a guy who’s seeking strong people to battle and the lengths he’d go through pretty much show this. I’m not interested in Hisoka’s background or even bothered wondering that instead I wonder ‘who will he be fighting next?’. His actions make sense when you consider that it is all for him searching for an opponent.

11. Machi says:

Additional note: I’d like to add its still much to early to claim ‘- To conclude I honestly believe that this adaptation has perfectly translated Togashi’s characterisation from the manga into animated form, whereas the NA version never understood these characters.’ Anime isn’t finished we’ve not seen how they handle everything, etc. My real gripe with your comment really is that you pronounce this version too definitive when its not even finished ^^”. That is why I do not comment on how this series has handled X so far in relation to Y I can’t make a definitive statement of my opinions. Its not formed yet much like the anime isn’t finished.

12. ljf says:

Noitamina’s adaptation was good, but it didn’t capture the intentions of the manga that well at all. It was extremely dark and moments of lighthartedness were sparse. To be concise, it was too serious. I’m not saying the manga wasn’t serious – it just didn’t take ITSELF too seriously. I mean, the author even put pictures of himself as a dog in between panels and talked about his marriage and children in spaces between chapters. He did not see his work as the “political thriller of the decade” that the adapters did. This show is a lot more fun in general than the original. The original was amazing in it’s darker atmosphere, however. I am disappointed that this show has toned down the violence though. In the manga dismemberment and entrails were abundant and I haven’t seen any of those yet…

13. ljf says:

Also guys I think you should realize that Hisoka’s intense aura of fear was a product of the original anime adaptation. In the manga Hisoka wasn’t designed to be as “horrifying and intense” as he was in the anime. The characterization of Hisoka in the anime was harsher due to the fact that they had to rush it due to their limit of episodes and they couldn’t develop his character over a longer period of time.

I’m more worried about what will happen AFTER the Yorkshin Arc, though. I mean, Kurapica and Leorio are pretty much MIA for both the Greed Island arc AND the Chimera Ant Arc. Both of those arcs are awesome, but I’m just afraid that giving Leorio and Kurapica too much emphasis as main characters might backfire in the long run. In the true HunterxHunter that this adaptation is trying to make a reality, “main character” is a subjective term lol.

14. imredjimmy says:

Hum…I didn’t read the manga or watch the first anime so I enjoy this XD I can’t really join your debates!

15. Machi says:

@ljf: ‘I mean, the author even put pictures of himself as a dog in between panels and talked about his marriage and children in spaces between chapters.’ You do realize those are more of extras that you would see in any volume release of any manga right? They are absent from magazine releases, it is pretty much value added incentive by any manga. Including serious ones. Also to be exact they tend to place this information at the sleeves of the manga, such as the information of his life or near the very end. As for side pannel ones those are usually thanks or just a vignette of how the volume came about or such. This isn’t exclusive to HXH manga nor is it a style of the work.

As for him drawing himself as a dog again you do know a lot of mangakas draw weird avatars for themselves… This doesn’t really speak out about ‘humor’

16. Roninski says:

“and especially the blue guy (why is he suddenly bright blue?)”

Yeah, I loved this episode, but the guy being blue really put me off… In the manga, he was like Frankenstein’s monster – sewn together from a bunch of other people’s body parts, and it really bugged me that he was pure blue…

17. ljf says:

@Machi:

HunterxHunter is the only manga I’ve ever read XD

18. Machi says:

@ljf: It’s actually pretty much a common thing, and if you’re reading scanlations there is a good chance you’ll miss them as most groups do not bother translating or even remove these pages – then again not all groups bother re-scanlating volume releases. If you do buy manga though or read RAWs they should be there.

Another common practice other than the ones you mentioned, though not done in HXH, are joke pages and sidestories. Those along with cleaned up or improved art are the biggest pull to buying/reading volume releases. Shame you don’t read manga there are so much good recommendations which aren’t animated.

@K-off: Where you particularly far into that manga? Also what was its title? Also I've noticed that rape/quasi-rape =woman becoming attracted has been around in Japanese film even in the 60s.
Well fuck, getting NTR'd out of nowhere in a romance manga sure does feel like an insult, much less a tremendous waste of time. I really should look into whether or not a manga has ntr before I start reading it.
Ah, dominion tank police and AD police, reminding me of my genuinely love of the anime medium.
@Mario, So that was you. I was thinking maybe it was bot of some sort. Accepted the request so you can try sending me something again.
@Aidan: Btw, did you receive my Skype message? I was kicked out from the old Skype account so I had to make a new one and I sent you some texts but not sure if you've recieved it
Well, we're half way of the season already so I might stick with Youkoso. But it's telling that even after watching its episode I don't bother to write up about it... I will give Gamers a full review thou when it ends.
@Aidan: which is great (that they have forgotten about the gaming aspect. Normally, I disapprove of miscommunication in romance/drama but they play it for laugh x 5 times it's rather outrageous, in a good way.
You could drop Youkoso for Gamers you know. I could tell you are not very much into it and I admitly feel like I overestimated it. It at least tries to be above usual light novel fare but is still kinda meh.
@Mario, for some odd reason I kept watching Gamers and it really has forgotten about the whole gaming aspect. It's literally all about the messed up love pentagram now. These people have worse communication disorders than Komi does.
hmmm, anime convention will happen around my place tomorrow. When I say "around my place" it's 3 hours away so I'm not sure if I will come down there. Don't feel really excited to go to be honest.
OMG, Gamers escalates to the whole new labyrinth of misunderstandings... and I'm digging it. I should've blogged this one instead. Amen
@Lenlo, Nioh is something I am going to get to playing soon. Though first I will be getting through Horizon.
Nioh was phenomenal. Was different from Dark Souls in all the right ways.
Your right, there have been so many great games: Zelda, Nier, Horizon, Nioh, as well as the upcoming Mario are all instant classics, and besides that there have been a bunch of other solid fun games like Sonic, Splatoon, Pyre etc.
@Mario: Really just sit down and watch it kind of film.
@Mario: I just got back from Ancien and magic tablet/napping princess/hirune hime/whatever its title. In brief, the fantasy scenes are the highlight and its cute, charming family adventure anime film with alot of heart/endearment, runs on kind of too long and could have had more of a story though.
It says something in a year of great videogames when I can really recommend a Sonic game. Sonic Mania is a good platformer, with great control, charming visuals, great music and level design that feels more readable than the last games I've played in this series.
@Mario, Pres and delinquent girl is my favourite but I still hope the Kuudere couple shows up. This week was hilarious with the little sister trying to get back at her brother's girlfriend only for the girlfriend to know it was her immediately and start screwing around.
Mine is Takurou - Chizuru (the red hair boy and orange hair girl in this week's last segment. Maybe because I have a penchant for weird girl :/
Tsurezure Children... makes my heart melted again. Those who still watch it, who are your favorite couples?
@Kaiser: and I will give you a review on... new spiderman movie or whatever. My friend drags me to watch it with her tonight, and I haven't watched any spiderman installment since the one in 2007. Well, whatever...
@Mario: I will review Hirune-hime tomorrow night hopefully. Also I have seen all his ghost in the shell work, Moribito and Eden of the east but never Cyborg 009 .
This was a long time ago however.
I can remember my dads car got its window smashed then stolen, twice =<
@Kaiser Insurance by itself won't hold you back at all, but getting a new car certainly will. The down payment alone will set you back a couple grand and you likely won't pay off the car for about 2-4 years.
@Aidan Jeez, my condolences. @Kaiser Auto insurance covers most accidents and the rates won't go up so long as it's not your fault and you have evidence to prove it (like a dashcam).
Financially will it particularly hold you back on things like rent, etcetera?
But in all seriousness, that is one of the big reasons I haven't learned to drive, fear of that kind of thing happening, actually I think that might put me off driving if it happened to me.
The car incident is an obvious assassination attempt and conspiracy . Easily avoidable by investing in transport by Dragon .
@K-Off, Lightly hit the side of a Van coming out of T junction. Left light smashed,front bumper and bonnet damaged. Gotta pay for that and the vans side door.
@Aidan Ouch. What happened to it?
Yep. Crimson red. Maybe I was tempting fate.
@Aidan: you should blame your car because it's new and shiny it's more accident prone than others. Did you mention your car is red??
Man isn't it great having a new car. It's also great when you crash your new car and now have to pay hefty repair fees. Fantastic. No injuries or anything but it's going to be a pain to repair.
Princess Principal write-up will have to wait this time tomorrow guys. Sorry for those who wait but nothing can stand a chance against my madness for Monogatari now
I still have a bunch of old anime vhs tapes in my attic yes, would take forever to list though.
movies4life
What to say about "one punch man" ?
movies4life
You have still VHS tapes as well in your anime collection ? (me 40)
Hard to believe I've been at this anime/manga thing since I was 11 and am now in my 30s.
@Boukensha: for this site specifically most of us are like you. On and off with anime; burnt out, move on with life and back again... this why I believe the readers who read this site are slightly older than your average anime audience there.
OldManBoukensha
I think I'll call myself OldManBoukensha. Hope the name sticks (this is the anonyperson)
OldManBoukensha
Thanks for the recommendations @SuperMario and @Kaiser-Eoghan san! Sometimes feels surreal how time has flown, started watching anime and discovered psgels in uni... fast forward 12 years and I hit 30 this year. lots of great memories, eagerly waiting for blog posts for favourite animes like mushishi, seirei no moribito, FMA. ah good times. Thank you for taking the baton and keeping it lively :)
... and it's never too late to set up your permanent username now :)
@Anon1329673: if you had to pick up 1 show this season, then yes Made in Abyss. I'd also recommend Princess Principal as well. For slice of life office, Shirobako? There's a show running this season from the creators of Shirobako, not neccessary set in an office place but they are about adult working as well; the name is Sakura Quest
@Anon: Hataraki man perhaps?
whenever I visit here I wish I had picked a permanent username. been reading psgels since 2005 :)
and do you know of any slice of life office life anime to recommend? I loved fune wo amu from last season. melancholic yet intimate, bittersweet anime
Hey guys, what's the best show running this season? Seems to me Made in Abyss ? If I had to pick up one show, which one would you recommend?
@Mario That's the most common method of getting compromised nowadays, even a lot of youtubers got their channels hacked because of vulnerabilities with the phone carriers.
So naturally, Reflection and Ranbu will be delayed tomorrow because of a move. Last for abit. I promise. Hectic time :P
alright, 18if down. Now's the time that I've been looking for this season. Go watch Owari nowwww
Yep, the author laid out how he wanted it to end before he died. Can't say how the new guy did as the English translation of the novels has not caught up that far.
@Aidan: These were presumably written from notes left behind by the author? Is there a disconnect in quality between the non-original author novels and the ones he wrote?
Also the Familiar of Zero novels are better than the anime. Now, not shakespeare but the anime did not really adapt them well. The novels took the plot a little more seriously while the anime went full slapstick with it.
@Kaiser, I was talking about the novels, not the anime. Someone jumped in to write the last two novels.
Of course things have changed, its been so many years since I saw the initial seasons, I couldn't tell if I'd still care.
Didn't really work in familiar of zeros case though , third and fourth seasons were a decline.
A famous example was Itazura na kiss, author died from having stuff collapse on her , anime finished the story.
@Anon, Likely not now that the author is dead. There are some occasions where people jump in to complete the work like Familer of Zero but in most cases it is just left unfinished.
@Movies, Watched about ten episodes and then just never got back to it. I thought it was alright.
@Amagi, Indeed. Hopefully they won't be around that much.
Apocrypha is pretty good when the MCs aren't around
@Movies: Yes, stopped after he got the powerup and then the manga went on a long hiatus, I liked the art though, the anime was tedious though, filler-y and censored.
movies4life
You guys remember d.Gray-man ?
...I think one of the two working on highschool of the deads manga died/
@anon1327403: funny that you mentioned Highschool of the Dead because I'm planning to watch that one real soon. But to answer your question, as far as I am aware of, no, there isn't any announcement regarding the new adaptation.
Does anyone know if High School of the Dead will ever be picked up by another person
I'm still watching stuff though, just finished the Cobra ovas last night, fun camp in the flash gordon/Barbarella vein, though it misses the soundtrack from the old 80s version.
I love a good Bond type spy thingnow and then but I'd LOVE to see a more serious anime take on the genre.
If kakegurui is enjoyable in the same way a trash-exploitation film is I could see myself watching .
Count me in for those who weren't happy with the progress of abyss' manga.
Then again my gaming days are long long in the past for the most part. The humour in gamers would just turn me off now, I've lost interested in most anime comedy.
I was aware of ANN being down, for the most part I really only skimmed their articles. I wish sega would just put Sonic down, its been on decline for so long.
@KTravlos: have fun with whatever you doing in the next 10 days mates. And if you have time, sample Princess Principal as well
I will be off the net the next 10 days, so sorry if I do not answer any replies etc. Have a good time all! See you later.
took the hiatus of my shows as a chance to sample the current season. Saw first episodes of Kakeguiri, Abyss, and Altair. Kakeguiri and Abyss really did have great first episodes, that grab you. Altair was a bit too old-fashioned, but I will probably continue watching it. Kakeguiri had excellent OP and ED, while Abyss had in general great music. And yeah, you guys were not kidding about beauty
And I still enjoy Gamers thoroughly. Not sure if it can keep up with the misunderstanding mess about relationships from the main cast but so far the show is hilarious
so now I know about why ANN did not work. @Holystockings yes, again I should detest it for many things it has, but they pulled it off and I like it.
Holystockings
I'll be honest here. I would have never guessed that Kakegurui would have been this good.
@AidanAK47 This year there have been a lot of good games. Too many to play seriously. I do wonder how deliberations would be since more than scores or genres I don't feel a all out winner, more than different games excelling at different things.
So finally finished Kado, and I have to say I am not a fan of the shark jump.
Really? Had no idea about the news network site
Also too many games coming this month. SubaHibi, Sonic Mania and Ys Seven. Not to mention cold steel now out. I still need to get blood orange complete and in comes a small, medium and two extra large time sinks.
And in other news Voltorn season three is out but only seven episodes long. With another fourth season coming in October which is 6 episodes long. I wonder why Netflix are spilting up seasons like this?
So, not sure if anyone has heard this or not but the Anime News Network site has been hacked. Hence why you can no longer access it.
@Mario: blancanieves was modern silent take on snow white, a different spin on the story.
@Mario: Fun fact, Mitchum appears in a cameo in the cape fear remake.
ha, I wouldn't mind seeing a gag in a comedy manga series where they did a silent throwback episode.
The expressionist visuals of some of those silent films appeal to me.
My only issue with maddin is that he is hard to marathon, that style as unique and funny as it is only works in small doses.
La Antenna was another good example of modern silent filmaking. Annnnd, this one is SUPER obscure/rare: http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.ie/2013/11/yumemiru-yoni-nemuritai-kaizo-hayashi.html
It's like this: The Artist gets the "look" of silent film, but Guy Maddin's works get the "feel" of it
I can remember Mitchum was in an underated remake of the big sleep...
...though you could really tell even just from listening to him speak he was a pothead.
@Kaiser: I agree with you that Guy Maddin's works are more of a representative of neo-silent than the Artist (the Artist is just so... wide-appealing for my taste. It tries to please everyone). I always feel that Maddin is born in a wrong era. Had he born in the silent era he'd definately be a legend.
@Kaiser: I don't blame the audience from the 50s who didn't get the film. I didn't quite get it the first time either but the film just keep growing on me. I remembet Robert Mitchum in his noir detective role as well, most notably his role in Out of the Past. The lead girl in that movie has a very typical femme fatale look as well, which mean she's gorgeous
@Mario: I've been looking into Guy Maddin's work, its occasionally funny in an absurdist way and alot of the appeal comes from how strange his films are, while I think that film the artist was a good take on silent films, Maddins tributes to silent film are far more successful.
@Mario: People weren't ready for night of the hunter in the 50s, one of those baffling situations that it flopped when originally released, frustratingly that director never got to work again. For me I think that was one of Robert Mitchum's best roles, along with his one in Cape fear.
Ahhh, clumsy finger. Whatever...
*Diary kf the Country Priest of course
Should get into Diry of the Countey Priest soon, but consider it's Bresson's movie I have no doubt it'll be hard to swallow. Also the priest in The Night of the Hunter
@Mario: =) All priest films quiver before the might of Diary of the country priest, Nazerin and Winter light.
@Kaiser: in the same vein with Spotlight, right? 2016 wasn't a good year for priest in movies it seems
Oh, that guy also directed El Club, I liked that one, seriously grim story about exiled priests.
@movies4life: Gin no Guardian is a bif meh for me.
I watched No at the time of its release. Good watch although I don't remember much of it now. Not only they have the same actors as Neruda, those films are directed from the same director. This fude also directed Jackie last year that star Nayalie Portman as the First Lady
@Movies: The other Chinese anime attempts aren't any better I hear.
movies4life
Watch in a day the whole season of Gin no Guardian. Is have so much potential in story and animation but somehow something missing. maybe is just for growing up Kids
@Anon, Like SAO season 2 then. Myself and a friend tried to watch that for the sole reason of taking the piss out of it. Ended up not finishing it because there wasn't anything to take the piss out of because barely anything happened each episode and it was so boring that we couldn't take it anymore.
I have seen "The Secret in their Eyes". A good film. I do recommend "Neruda", and the film "No" which as some of the same actors.
People thought they were 'ironically' watching a bad movie until they realized the movie's so bad it can't even be enjoyed on an ironic level.
I am not surprised that the Emoji movie is bad. But I am quite astonished that people seem to be surprised that it's bad.
Gah, I would hate that, having to put up with a kid in cinemas, having to see , having to financially benefit some anti-art film like that.
movies4life
and i watch Emoji with my daughter....I fall asleep
Secret in the eyes remake was pretty much pointless.
Anon-The virgin witch
I am entirely too old to place any care or importance on whether I sleep with someone or not/ever.
I am entirely too far behind to catch up on monogatari.
I enjoy the surrealism that is present in some Latin filmaking. As for secret in their eyes, its got that great stadium scene and twist later on, though some of the exchanges between actors/characters seemed awkward, overall while I liked it, it felt like an extended tv episode.
I'm also looking forwards to listen to their new OPs. Mnogatari's soundtrack is the only anime soundtrack that I bought a physical CD. Still listen to all those songs quite frequently
Since it is confirmed that there'll be 7 episodes, I think it'll be: Mayoi Hell (2 episodes), Hitagi Rendezvous (2), Ougi Dark (3)
So Owarimonogatari will air in 2 days. I honestly don''t know how I should review it (by episode? by each arc? by day? Rating or not?) but dang I'm gonna review it.
You can try another Latin American film, The Secret in Their Eyes (not the REMAKE one). There was a 10 minutes unbroken (CGI) shot that follow the leads in the football stadium to look for their suspect. Quite impressive
@KTravlos: I missed my chance to watch Neruda when it was screening in my local cinema; but I've heard good things about the film. People said it's an unconventional but effective biopic film. The more I watch Latin American cinema, the more I feel the unique charm from the area that I don't feel anywhere else.
Still, weird manga because its kind of increasingly obvious that the people behind Nana are the bad guys .-. They are just overly sinister.
So skipped third chapter and just read fourth chapter of Talentless Nana. Ok, seems like it might have more of hook now? Villain protagonist vs hero antagonist?(who also can't be killed off first because they are immortal, so she would need to figure out how to deal with him first)
@Anon. Nobody cares mate.

@SuperMario. Hey I watched Neruda last week. It was interesting. Have you seen it?
@Anon, Well we can all make up imaginary sexploits, it's not really something worth bragging about. Perhaps fanfiction would be a better outlet?
I enjoy posting on obscure anime blog chat boxes about my sexploits. ᕕ( ⏒ ロ ⏒ )ᕗ
movies4life
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
I'm also as of now noticing this Isekai trend. And to be honest the most disappointing aspect for me, is how formulaic the worlds are. This is also a complain in RPGs. But I don't get how like 7 or more of this, feels like the setting could be the same world. I don't know, I just think there should be ways to make each feel more unique.
I went to Chicago and bought a Switch and lots of manga. I was happy with my choices. Murcielago is a violent buddy cop. Delicious Dungeon is a creative take on a dungeon crawler setting and funny. The 7th garden is a well composed manga, if anything a good example for sequential art reference. I also read several chapters of Mushoku Tensei, which is Isekai but heck it did made me care.
It's like the difference between reading Konosuba and watching Konosuba. I read the novels up to date and while it's fine it's like reading the script to a comedy skit. It's not nearly as entertaining as seeing it in action. The animation and actors just added so much more to it.
@Puran, I actually agree with you on that. I read the manga before watching the anime and couldn't really get into it. However I felt that things would change when seeing it animated and indeed it did. Currently I would place the anime adaption above it's source material.
3000 Leagues in Search of Mother
Puran
@Anon, thank you for the update on your sex life.

In other news, I read the manga for Made in Abyss and I didn't really like it...? Felt kinda boring and soulless? While the anime seemed to have some sort of magic and wonder. It kinda spoiled my enjoyment of the Anime. I think I'll drop it for a while and marathon it later to let the bad taste from my mouth subside.
@Anon, That's virgin talk.
Anonymous1320940
my girlfriend is coming back home and I am so looking forward to getting my cock sucked again. Sex starved since Wednesday
@K-off: Genuinely missed Tsugumi when her character got the axe.
Getting the made in abyss post up tonight but it looks like the other two are going to have to wait. Kakegurui's sixth episode will be airing this week and Fate's episode won't be subbed until friday. I will see if I can get secondhand subs to do a writeup but I would prefer to watch it with UTW subs.
The spin-offs are actually a good read because it's essentially similar to the opening few chapters of the main story.
Ah seoul station, that director (or at least the animator) has done some other animated films that I've yet to get round to.
@K-off: Maybe a sequel or more spinoffs planned? I've not read any of the spinoff come to think of it.
The film was interesting, but I remember I watched it after Train to Busan and its animated prequel so I found it lacking in comparison.
I'll just say that the manga does not end climatically nor in any interesting way. It ends up focusing on a new set of characters near the end (what kind of writer thinks that's a good idea?) and rushes the MC's story.
The film adaptation of I am a hero is better than it has any right to be.
*sci-fi
@K-off: Everything after the sci-twist started going downhill. I haven't read the final chapter yet.
@Kaiser Did you catch up on I am a Hero? Just finished it and...I feel like the series seriously fizzled out halfway through. I'd like to talk about the ending if you have.

18if – 07 [And now There are none…]

This episode is one of the reason why I am glad that I’m still putting my faith on 18if, an episode that displays a complete different range of visual style, and a satisfying children’s story about friendship as a cherry on top. There’s a lot to love here, from the beautiful aesthetic that heavily influenced […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 05 [The City of the Lighthouse]

After a three-week break, Shoukoku no Altair returned today with an episode reminiscent more of its first three than its last. If you’ve been reading these posts for the last couple months, you’ll know that’s not a good thing, at least from where I’m sitting. We were awash in exposition and timeskips again this time […]

Classroom of the Elite – 06 [There are Two Kinds of Lies; One concerns an Accomplished Fact, the Other concerns a Future Duty]

Youkoso embraces its true nature this week, pulling off some resolves that are pulpy, but clean up nicely the conflicts they present this episode. With episode 6, not only class-D settles the accusation from class-C; they set up, and quickly resolve, Sakura’s stalking issues and gives a much-needed concern regarding Ayanokouji’s own agenda behind his […]

Re:Creators – 17 [The Rain’s Rhythm Shoots Down on the World’s Roof]

If you are still remaining faithful to Re:Creators over the course of months on end, then this is the episode where all the buildups and exposition pays off in dividends with the grand opening of the ‘Elimination Chamber Festival’. Characters with long standing grudges square off, insert songs being played back-to-back, and Studio TROYCA really […]

Made in Abyss – 06[Seeker Camp]

I feel like Riko has been naked quite a lot in this series and I thank god that it’s not treated in a fanservice manner. That may be something that should be par for the course but with my experience in anime it often takes every opportunity to throw in some fanservice. At this point […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 07[Where Freedom Lies]

As a Fate fan I can state for certainty that this series does have a problem of having a bit too much anticlimax. Which is a problem that may affect all Chuuni style stories come to think of it. I love the series but I can say that I don’t think any of them truly […]

Kakegurui- 06[Tempting Woman]

Here’s where these betting games get really out of control as we have an elaborate setup which likely cost quite a lot of money to make and only serves to make this bet possible. Before I made the choice of ignoring the general nonsensical rules of the school however now I think that I should […]

The Reflection – 4 [New Orleans]

The Reflection shows its strengths this week with strong character arcs, a deepening overall plot and some subtleties with its setting. Only thing left to fix is the frame count, but i’ve beat that horse to death, so let’s just jump right in. Reflection opens up the episode right after the end of last weeks. […]

Princess Principal – 06 [Case 18 Rouge Morgue]

We have a very tender Princess Principal episode this week. Instead of exciting spy action like previous weeks, we get to the place that is largely ignored by the rest of the world: a morgue. A place where they’re near the dead than the living, where time just passes by slowly but endlessly. A place […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100