Posted by psgels on 27 November 2011 with categories: Hunter X Hunter

The first half of this episode, I think it actually worked better than in the first series. It was simple and more to the point, just like Gon really. It had a nice build-up of “oh, this is going to take forever”, only to solve things in minutes afterwards. Although, Gon’s voice actress was trying a bit too hard again in this episode. It’s mostly her range. She’s very easy in just yelling all of her lines.

The second half however… it was a bit of a mess. And it’s not the pacing really. When you just look at pacing, then the new series is actually better than the first. It’s just that the voice acting is so much, much worse. The voice actors are trying too hard and especially the blue guy (why is he suddenly bright blue?) was hamming it up. Compare that to the first season, which had fantastic voice acting and which had voice actors who knew exactly when they should be subtle, and when to raise their voices.

What’s even worse is that we suddenly got to see entire inner monologues of that blue guy, which killed off all of the tension that was there already. It added some nonsensical stuff, while it cut out the stuff that made him quite charming (like the way in which he broke his fist, for example). Also, I’m surprised here: the way in which he refused to wake up, was actually a filler of the first season? I really would not have guessed. That really was something good they added back there.

And then there was Kurapika, who really managed to save this half when he saw the spider. It again suffers a bit too much from acting too hard when compared to the first series, but the moment where Kurapika got his red eyes: that was just wonderful. It wasn’t just a great scene. It also showed that the creators here know how to deliver the darker scenes.

Overall I’m quite positive of this series so far. The creators might actually nail it. However, there is one character who I’m positive that they’re going to ruin if they keep going on like this: Senritsu. I won’t say why, for the sake of the people who aren’t familiar with Hunter X Hunter, but I really cannot imagine her with the current focus on overacting from this series.
Rating: * (Good)

1. Mira says:

Nope. It happens in the manga. It should be covered in the next episode as it becomes part of Leorio’s match. I don’t know if this counts as spoilers but the fight was clearly shown to be a draw because the scores never change.

While I didn’t like how the blue guy kept on having monologues, I imagine it’s because the show wants to lengthen the Kurapika match. I really liked how the visuals were done in this episode. And Kurapika’s eyes were done in such a way that they aren’t just bright red, the look awesome– and definitely something you can imagine other people collecting and bidding for at a high price.

Well, with the mention of Genei Ryodan– I have to wonder how they’ll portray these guys as well. Heck, I wonder how Yorkshin is going to be! Especially when it was the very highlight of the original series, I don’t think there’s any way you can outdo what Nippon Animation did with that arc.

2. jzar says:

Some things were very good here. Yet…. Overall though, even though it’s very true to the original story it really didn’t convey the right feel. In the older anime version I was held breathless by these episodes, the tension was so thick that I almost couldn’t watch.

I remember the it was the first time I felt that Kurapika was more than just a girly face. It was like holy sh*t, he really can be dangerous.

It’s odd…..the matches so far=

1st prisoner vs . Tonpa = win for prisoners
    2nd Prisoner, Candles vs Gon = win for Gon Party
    3rd Prisoner, Blue Freak, vs Kurapika = win for Gon Part

that’s 1 to 2 , so why didn’t he readout over the doors change, small point but it really bugged. me. The bridges were extended and that means the official watching agreed the match was over and Kurapika won.

OVERALL-
    Is it the acting? the art? It just feels a lot weaker than the manga or the earlier production for me. Hisoka has been a huge disappointment, I was really afraid of that guy when we met him in the first anime.

Well the truth is they all feel a bit ….weaker? I really can’t figure out why it’s not working as well for me. The timing and tension feel off somehow.

3. Glossa Bingo says:

@psgels

The part where Majitani doesn’t wake up is in the next episode.

I’m surprised that you thought the Gon part worked better in the old version–especially since this one showcased something the old version didn’t: Gon handles extremely well under pressure. Despite being caught in a difficult situation, he calmly handles his candle, sets it down, and figures out a way to win. In the old series, it isn’t until it gets too hot and he drops his candle that he realizes that the flame will stay lit. And didn’t you think that Sedokan, the serial bomber, overacted in the original version? His delivery is significantly subtler in this version.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean when referring to Majitani’s inner monologues. They’re all in the old series too. He’s supposed to be hamming it up in general–everyone there knows he’s a complete joke except for Leorio. In fact, I found it an improvement to see him overacting–that’s literally what his character is doing in the moment. He was sent to prison for tax fraud: his whole persona was a lie.

Can you delve into how you think Senritsu will be ruined?

4. Glossa Bingo says:

@jzar

Even though the bridges extended, the match hadn’t ended yet. You’ll understand next episode. Notice that the scoreboard on Gon’s side hasn’t changed from 1 victory to 2 yet.

5. Glossa Bingo says:

Sorry for the triple post! I just realized I misread your sentence about Gon’s fight–my mistake. Disregard the first half of my first post.

6. Kiarae says:

Dude, Majitani is Kazuki Yao! What do you expect from that kind of voice cast; he’s known for his exceptional ability to ham it up! XD

I really enjoyed Kurapika this fight though. The animation on his eyes was gorgeous and I felt the VA finally got him perfect. I do see why you’re mentioning Senritsu already since I’m a little worried, but I think part of how that goes will also rely on the casting. Just hope for the best for now!

7. kevin says:

By Senritsu, I presume you are referring to Melody the music-based nen user in the Yorknew City arc. I will tell you this now and believe me when I say this; this series of Hunter x Hunter is going to follow the manga perfectly. Mood changes and all.

The Hunter Exam arc is relatively light-hearted and hopeful in spirit despite the death count, but by the time we reach Yorknew City I am certain this series will be full throttle darkness. It has already shown how dark it can truly be, with the Killua scene on the airship which might I add featured blood.

As for character portrayals I have to say, every character has been absolutely spot on to the manga. Whereas the older anime series altered almost every characters personality for the worse. Gon no longer was childlike in the older series, Killua was too “evil” in the Hunter exam in the older series, Hisoka was not serious enough and instead of being a calculating and intelligent psychopath he was made into a killer clown.

All in all the older series slaughtered the original manga for the most part, with only the Yorknew City arc being somewhat close to the manga, however still managing to get the characterisation completely wrong on most of the Phantom Troupe.

8. Machi says:

@Kevin: I seriously have to wonder if we read and watched the same manga and anime of Hunter X Hunter. I’ve re-read the manga 2 times and the anime re-watched 3 times (local anime station broadcasted it) and in comparison at the very least of handling the characters I would hardly call it butchered.

By butchered or slaughtered one would mean completely missing the point of the character or adding some unnecessary qualities. However, what exactly has changed about the characters pray tell? I do not see of that actually happening. What is clear is that both NA and Madhouse have different interpretations of what they see the characters but neither animation studios miss out on any aspect (can’t say much for Madhouse since its still ongoing) or add anything unnecessarily out of character. The characters are still very much the same without any real deviations to radically alter them. Hisoka may have gotten a short stick but I’ll explain that later though still remained largely in tact, since it was a creative decision on their part.

You may want to clarify what you said with a scene-manga example because that is a pretty big statement without much backing. Especially when you begin to consider chapter titles trying to emphasize a certain aspect and Killua being ‘evil’ during the exam fits as he’s supposed to be a foil to Gon, and you even have chapter titles emphasizing this at that point with the very first ‘The Light and the Shadow’ chapter which Togashi has used twice and probably has a pretty big significance for him to use.

Atmosphere wise NA managed to capture the different moods well, atmosphere is one thing NA clearly focused on. Indeed, NA removed a lot of the lines from the unseen narrator explaining things but this was to keep the focus on the atmosphere so you could really tell what they aimed for. Animation wise I’m glad NA deviated from the manga and actually improved on it since Yorkshin arc was the start of the decline of Togashi’s art, this is were hiatus started to begin =/. Moreover, Yorkshin arc was actually far more sparse than the animation would like you to believe – remember chapters would generally hover between 14-16 pages and that is WITHOUT a double spread. Just compare the negotiations of Pakunoda in the anime VS the manga to see the clear cut difference that I think the anime did a great job at adding much needed content for better continuity or mood setting that still remained faithful to the original. Even the Mito filler episode still worked well with highlighting the difference between Gon and Killua – which as noted earlier is of emphasis just by looking at the titles of the chapters so I would hardly call NA’s focus on Killua’s ‘evil’ or rather assassin upbringing unwaranted when they did consider the relevance of chapter titles (which should be clear to you why this is important at the latest manga arc with regard to the growth of Gon & Killua) that basically did the same thing (heck even looking at the panels Killua was always in black panels more than Gon so things being in color they’d have to find a different way to stress this).

Hisoka is a more complicated case since he was a killer clown in the first place – especially at the hunter exam. We do not see his cunning at all in the hunter exam since everybody was just fodder for him, and he breezes through it. Its only at the Battle Tower that we really see this occur which NA’s choice to remove narration really hurt as we didn’t get to understand the mind games he played using Bungee Gum against his opponents at the Battle Tower which the manga goes at lengths to explain. While we didn’t get to see his prowess as a battle genius we still did get to see his cunning manipulative side just fine with the Yorkshin arc, but that was because it didn’t require the same dissecting that was done in the battle tower since this was more evident by itself with monologues. Still over all the point still stands that Hisoka is a freakishly strong and playful fighter that you just can’t figure out easily and uses his brains to get what he wants (namely more ‘toys’ to play with) – which is the point of it all.

Then we have soundtrack which is a whole other layer to atmosphere which I think shows even more the strong attention that NA was giving atmosphere. The soundtrack and OP & ED songs are all quite good. Can’t say much yet about Madhouse but can’t say any of theirs stick to mind yet (but again realize I watched the first animation a lot so that would help in my memory).

I would still say despite NA’s slight alterations and removal of narration in favor of atmosphere its still overall quite a faithful adaptation. Story doesn’t change, surprisingly fillers while extra were very much well placed and thought off (Mito filler keeps coming back to mind, characters are still who they are without any new characteristics placed on them (interpretation is something subjective that I wouldn’t try to fault at as long as there is nothing missed out crucially or added unnecessarily its all good), they also didn’t re-order chapters or anything, and more importantly added detail where it was needed (animation and continuity wise).

9. kevin says:

@Machi

I will sum up my previous post for you as clearly as possible, as you seem to have missed the entire point of it.

– Killua is never once in Togashi’s original manga considered ‘Evil’ instead he is considered dark. The characterisation NA missed that Madhouse understand is that while he is still an assassin, he is also a 12 year old kid. Togashi captured the bond of children to perfection and the friendship of Gon and Killua in my opinion signifies the relationship of Light and Darkness within us all. Light and Darkness need each other to balance one another out. That is the core facet of Gon and Killua, something that was not present in NA.

– As for Hisoka, he was never a killer clown. He was always an incredibly strong, graceful, eccentric and mysterious killer. He is an enigma through and through. Is he a bad guy or is a he a good guy? It’s hard to say, he killed to quench his bloodlust and considers people to be his toys. He is an absolutely disturbed character, which begs the audience the question: what made him this way? It’s a question that Togashi has still not answered to this day and that sense of mystery and disturbance is the central focus of Hisoka. Once again NA instead made him into a killer clown who lacked even a hint of mystery surrounding him. You never thought “Why is he this way?” the question was never pondered upon. However that is the central focus of his character in the Madhouse adaptation. A prime example is the scene in which he stacks up a house of cards only to knock it over – a form of destruction that gives him sexual pleasure. That right there tells us something about him as a character. That destruction is something that has consumed this character to the point that simply destroying weak things is no longer fun to him, instead he wants to challenge the strong, to get the pleasure of destroying something powerful. Once again “Why is he this way?” That is the question Togashi raises.

– To conclude I honestly believe that this adaptation has perfectly translated Togashi’s characterisation from the manga into animated form, whereas the NA version never understood these characters.

10. Machi says:

@Kevin: Let me sum up some points too~.

– Killua: Notice how I worded ‘evil’ I’m using your words. I never considered Killua evil its clear that he is dark and very much troubled because of his upbringing. The original never actually tried to emphasize he was evil as much as killing is his nature. A natural reaction as we would see in the Mito filler. That natural reaction or rather his assassin mentality is something that is shown quite well to be both good and bad in its own rights. I don’t need to elaborate why its good, since its basically allowed Killua to think things through for both him and Gon. While bad because again this should be obvious with how little he cared for life early on, but noticeably he doesn’t opt for this option as much anyways. In the end he is very much dark not evil, I do not see why you considered him evil from the NA when its pretty much always emphasized that it is his upbringing and of course Illumi that forces him to act in an assassin manner. I do think he is still a 12 year old kid with a good relationship with Gon (Talks on the ship after the retrieve the number exam, Mito Filler as a day in the life of Gon, Battle Tower the two goofing around, Yorkshin hotel scene with Killua even suggesting to Gon to watch lewd things). Heck the filler I just mentioned is a pretty good example that they did emphasize the two are friends.

-Hisoka: I think this is largely your interpretation already. I agree he is in your words ‘incredibly strong, graceful, eccentric and mysterious killer’ but I’d emphasize more on eccentric to the point of creepy. Need I remind you the ‘boner’ reaction he acquired at the thought of fighting Kuroro or his teasing of Gon and Killua? On the part of graceful this I disagree with and would replace with cunning and sly that is after all what the Bungee Gum tactic is. Mysterious killer is something I feel you’re off as much as battle hungry, he kills yes but its battles that he wants more again him having a boner at the thought of fighting pretty much proves that. However, I think you simplified what it means to be a killer clown. Clown should be pretty clear its not just his appearance but his entire attitude, though its pretty clear part of the literal thing is that he does dress up like a jester. Clown sums up well for me about him is that Hisoka is very playful. Course we already know what a game or playing with him means. Its not that he’s malicious so much so that he just derives fun from battle. That I think was emphasized just fine, and the VA did a pretty damn good job at that. I do not see this as disappearing from NA. I’m not sure how you define ‘killer’ on your vocabulary but from NA I would see Hisoka as a killer in the sense that a) he won’t hesitate to kill once his blood starts boiling and b) that he’s kick ass strong.

Mysterious is something I’d easily contend with because I don’t see him as a mystery as things unfolded. He’s pretty much a guy who’s seeking strong people to battle and the lengths he’d go through pretty much show this. I’m not interested in Hisoka’s background or even bothered wondering that instead I wonder ‘who will he be fighting next?’. His actions make sense when you consider that it is all for him searching for an opponent.

11. Machi says:

Additional note: I’d like to add its still much to early to claim ‘- To conclude I honestly believe that this adaptation has perfectly translated Togashi’s characterisation from the manga into animated form, whereas the NA version never understood these characters.’ Anime isn’t finished we’ve not seen how they handle everything, etc. My real gripe with your comment really is that you pronounce this version too definitive when its not even finished ^^”. That is why I do not comment on how this series has handled X so far in relation to Y I can’t make a definitive statement of my opinions. Its not formed yet much like the anime isn’t finished.

12. ljf says:

Noitamina’s adaptation was good, but it didn’t capture the intentions of the manga that well at all. It was extremely dark and moments of lighthartedness were sparse. To be concise, it was too serious. I’m not saying the manga wasn’t serious – it just didn’t take ITSELF too seriously. I mean, the author even put pictures of himself as a dog in between panels and talked about his marriage and children in spaces between chapters. He did not see his work as the “political thriller of the decade” that the adapters did. This show is a lot more fun in general than the original. The original was amazing in it’s darker atmosphere, however. I am disappointed that this show has toned down the violence though. In the manga dismemberment and entrails were abundant and I haven’t seen any of those yet…

13. ljf says:

Also guys I think you should realize that Hisoka’s intense aura of fear was a product of the original anime adaptation. In the manga Hisoka wasn’t designed to be as “horrifying and intense” as he was in the anime. The characterization of Hisoka in the anime was harsher due to the fact that they had to rush it due to their limit of episodes and they couldn’t develop his character over a longer period of time.

I’m more worried about what will happen AFTER the Yorkshin Arc, though. I mean, Kurapica and Leorio are pretty much MIA for both the Greed Island arc AND the Chimera Ant Arc. Both of those arcs are awesome, but I’m just afraid that giving Leorio and Kurapica too much emphasis as main characters might backfire in the long run. In the true HunterxHunter that this adaptation is trying to make a reality, “main character” is a subjective term lol.

14. imredjimmy says:

Hum…I didn’t read the manga or watch the first anime so I enjoy this XD I can’t really join your debates!

15. Machi says:

@ljf: ‘I mean, the author even put pictures of himself as a dog in between panels and talked about his marriage and children in spaces between chapters.’ You do realize those are more of extras that you would see in any volume release of any manga right? They are absent from magazine releases, it is pretty much value added incentive by any manga. Including serious ones. Also to be exact they tend to place this information at the sleeves of the manga, such as the information of his life or near the very end. As for side pannel ones those are usually thanks or just a vignette of how the volume came about or such. This isn’t exclusive to HXH manga nor is it a style of the work.

As for him drawing himself as a dog again you do know a lot of mangakas draw weird avatars for themselves… This doesn’t really speak out about ‘humor’

16. Roninski says:

“and especially the blue guy (why is he suddenly bright blue?)”

Yeah, I loved this episode, but the guy being blue really put me off… In the manga, he was like Frankenstein’s monster – sewn together from a bunch of other people’s body parts, and it really bugged me that he was pure blue…

17. ljf says:

@Machi:

HunterxHunter is the only manga I’ve ever read XD

18. Machi says:

@ljf: It’s actually pretty much a common thing, and if you’re reading scanlations there is a good chance you’ll miss them as most groups do not bother translating or even remove these pages – then again not all groups bother re-scanlating volume releases. If you do buy manga though or read RAWs they should be there.

Another common practice other than the ones you mentioned, though not done in HXH, are joke pages and sidestories. Those along with cleaned up or improved art are the biggest pull to buying/reading volume releases. Shame you don’t read manga there are so much good recommendations which aren’t animated.

And that extends to action scenes, don't just slap old songs over your trailer thoughtlessly/carelessly or dump a generic pop song over your mecha battle or generic rock song over a fight scene.
Scenes would be better served by subtely or sinister sound design or less/no music in most cases.
@Niello: Same here. It annoyed me to no end. I was curious so I watched the live stream. It was much better/less bad with subs, most of the first episode was nothing but shousa shousa and casually a "violetto chan..".
@Amagi, I would disagree on music. The soundtrack is far too bombastic and overbearing for the nature of the series.
Niello
Watching the first episode raw was a mistake imo. I actually cringed when I heard chuusa for the 10th time in the hospital room scene. At least the subtitle would serve as a distraction.
It's kinda sad because the execution of scenes, music and animation are awesome and I think that its depiction of characters and their behaviour is pretty good too, the problem is that the MC is a bad/illogical character to begin with and that they want to attract a larger fanbase through certain pandering. Still enjoy it overall, though.
We share the exact same thoughts about Violet's issues then. I think the story isn't that great and the characterisation so far is weak. But count on me to blog it to see if it can improve itself
Yeah, the idea of some unworldy girl learning about emotions through ghost writing is great and I love the setting. But the war part makes no sense in that context, and I wish they'd tone down that "I'm mayor's dog" stuff. It's pretty common for these type of people being clingy to one specific person, but they should totally leave out the waifu pandering. Ep 2 was better in that regard though.
Niello
How come Violet went through war and back and still doesn't even recognise, in the slightest, the grim emotions humans sometimes feel such as pain, worry, distrust, anger, hate etc. Then the premise set up that she's going to learn love and all the other emotions, good and bad, though ghost writing and empathise with people. I call bull.
Niello
@Mario: The writing is disappointing and underwhelming, especially the characterisation. I would rant, but I'd rather not. It's just, if this show doesn't have the amazing visual or Kyoani name attached you can just imagine that its fate would be rather bleak.
@Mario: hhhmmm, I have good news, the French dvd of that film let the corpses tan is coming out in March, well before the vod release, so it'll probably get fansubbed or something before we have to wait for an official English web-dl/cast.
Was never much of an on stage/presentation man really, I was always rubbish at it, to quiet an introverted person really to get up in front of a crowd and give a lecture/speech.
@Travlos: And this would be the part where I say it would be great if I even had half your presentation ability or sounded that clever.
Your voice is as imagined it, though I'd pictured you younger looking in my head.
fianlly done with the academic meeting I was organizing. Should get back to some anime watching. Also if you want to see my presentation go here

@Niello: Aside from your #1 (which ưe'll agree to disagree here), it's a nice set of shows you're follwing this season. Did you watch Violet Evergarden first episode thou and how did you think about it?
Great. Now I can't even send message here through my laptop.
@Kaiser: i think it's the same issue with kisscartoon. The original site was shut down sometimes ago, and now there are plenty of Kisscartoon's fake domains that are annoying as hell
@Mario: its back up now though.
@Mario: Its front page has server issues from time to time sometimes for hours.
I just read some manga on kissmanga a week ago, is the site down already?
Niello
Well to be fair batoto is down because of the site owner personal reason.
So Mangahere, mangachapter, baoto, animea seem to be gone and kissmangas front page is down , mangafox is slow, whats next to go down....
Niello
I don't currently see an anime this season that really stands out from the others. Right now if I have to rank them
1) Miira no kaikata
2) Kokkoku
3) Sora yori mo tooi basho
4) Koi wa ameagari no you ni
5) Takagi-san.
Not counting Devilman Crybaby since it's already finished.
Niello
@Eoghan I love Urobuchi and still find the Godzilla film weak.
I just looked through the nominations for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards and to my surprise, it's a pretty solid lineups. Find myself agreeing with most of their choices there
Actually forgot about it.
I don't know why you don't just read kara no shoujo 2 instead.
And Himawari is actually boring me. It's proving difficult to push myself though just to see where the point that makes it highly regarded comes in.
@Aidan: In the end I was pretty much curious about it.
Yep, that's it. Gonna stop discord displaying what I play from now on. It's weird when people comment on it.
Now my current rankings: 1. Devilman
2.Junji itou
3. sangatsu
4. Cardcaptor sakura
5. Pop team
6. Evergarden.
*Aidan
I'm joking obviously, but I am surprised to see you playing Himawari Aiden.
Oh Aidan you and your lolicon visual novel you =P
@Alonaria: Shin Godzilla had the evolving godzilla thing and that freaky ass final shot too, it also justified itself quite well i think by showing how relevent he is today, given the nuclear thing and that it drew on the Fukushima incident essentially.
@Alonaria: Thats a far better and shorter way of putting it than I.
Alonaria
I wish I'd just waited for the other parts of the Godzilla movie trilogy to be released. As it is, I'm just going to remember it as "that incomplete movie." And the character designs kind of blurred together for me, which was really disorienting.
Oh psgels is back
But I've seen other Godzilla things so I pretty much was supposed to see this anyway.
Or you know you could always take what I said with a pinch of salt, because you know....I don't get on with Urobutcher.
The idea behind it is definately cool and a different spin for the franchise though.
Maybe I was held back a bit by the cgi or the mediorce voice acting.
But I'd need to see its followup before properly assessing it.
Godzilla often makes for silly films, but lke alot of silly older films the silliness and seriousness combine without clashing, this one is too Poe faced .
I saw that Godzilla anime film, I'd describe it as watchable in parts but far too caught up in setup mode and an unlikeable protaganist , it could go somewhere with what it raised at the start but this is an example of a first film in a trilogy that suffers from being unable to currently stand on its own.
I generally feel that Itou's stories have a winning track record but theres exceptions, Uzumaki and Gyo in manga form struggle toward the end and the first episode story the anime chose to adapt is, while fun one of the weaker offerings.
Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"

Darling in the Franxx – 02[What it means to connect]

As it stands now, this is essentially an animated version of a double entendre. Each line is laced with a double meaning so heavy that you can postface lines with the words “That’s what she said.” and it would fit perfectly. I find my stance on this to be rather mixed as while the fanservice […]

Junji Ito Collection – 03[The Crossroads Pretty boy – The lovesick dead, Slug Girl]

Our two stories today regard the handsome man at the crossroads and slug girl. The handsome man story was given the most screen time and it is a decent story, albeit unfinished. What was presented here was only the first part of the story and I believe it will be continued in later episodes. But […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 15 [There is no place like home]

Welcome to another week of Mahoutsukai no Yome. This week continues Chise’s bad relationship with water, Elias’s with Fae and gives Silky a history. Lets jump in! To start off, I want to talk about the best part of this episode, that being Silky’s history and alone time. For the longest time Silky was a […]

After the Rain – 02 [Rain Drops on Green Leaves]

It has been exactly a year since I last blogged you, noitaminA shows, and this time again it’s another romance drama. Unlike Scum’s Wish last year, however, Ameagari has one simple premise, but it executes the idea with such grace. This second episode is even stronger than the first, setting the stepping stone for Tachibana […]

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]