Posted by psgels on 30 November 2011 with categories: Monthly Summaries

This season rocks for having so many long series. Finally, after whining for seasons after each other, this season actually completely lacks the biggest problem that anime has had over the recent years: not having enough time. Finally the barrier of “going for a long series immediately is too risky” is beginning to break down. Now all that’s left is to make use of it.

Again, since this season is long, there is a lot more time to build up for things. But still there are some longer series that are just too long, take their time too much, or forget to be entertaining while building up. That’s the flip-side of having long series, unfortunately. Still, I’m really glad that at least this development is coming. Now all that’s left is to improve, and continue to find the right balance between length, pacing and build-up. There are a few series already in this season that are getting really close to it.

#18 (15) – Persona 4 The Animation – (6,5/10) – This show is annoying to watch. As it turns out, instead of being action and mystery, this is just a show about school antics. While that on itself isn’t bad, although I’m not happy that it picked such an overcrowded genre, but the school life scenarios are really dull, badly acted, and most of the time just not funny. Especially the pee guy (whose name I still can’t remember) is bad here.
#17 (12) – Shinryaku! Ika-Musume – (7/10) – Agh, what a shame. This show hit its shelf life. At the moment this show has completely run out of inspiration and is running on dull hijinks stories that are way too forced and just aren’t funny and don’t add anything to the series. What’s more: this show is becoming a chore to watch through.
#16 (20) – Guilty Crown – (7,25/10) – Oh good lord. Who found it a good idea to make the male lead this bland? In fact, there is a problem with the entire cast of this series: none of the characters really seems to know what they want to be, and therefore keep switching personalities. What this show does is not getting to know the characters, it’s just changing their personalities, based on what is handy for the plot.
#15 (11) – Bakuman – (7,5/10)

I’m really not sure what happened to Bakuman, but it has turned into a complete soap opera, always turning from worst case scenario to other worst case scenario. I especially dislike how immature Moritaka handled when he came down with his injury. The balance in this show seemed lost: the first season moved too slow, but this season delivers its plot twists too fast.

#14 (16) – Kimi to Boku – (7,75/10)

Kimi to Boku’s big problem is the yellow-haired kid. In every single episode, this squirt finds new ways to annoy me. It’s a good thing that most episodes manage to deliver some good drama around some other character, otherwise I would have dropped this long ago, but this remains a test of patience.

#13 (8) – Mirai Nikki – (7,75/10)

Mirai Nikki at this point is still missing something in its characterization. It’s definitely fun, but at the moment its complete lack of subtlety is taking away a bit of the tension. I know that it aims to be like that, but for that it’s just not crazy enough to make up for that. I’m still missing something with this series.

#12 (13) – Phi Brain – (7,75/10)

This show is weird. It makes no sense whatsoever and every episode features some sort of weird thing that just defies all kinds of logic. But it’s fun. The puzzles in this show are always entertaining, and the drama around it also is surprisingly good.

#11 (6) – Ben-To – (8/10)

I’m a bit torn about this show at the moment. On one hand, this show is just hilarious and without a doubt the best comedy of the season. On the other hand however, it had one particular episode that was really bad, and went against a lot of what this show avoided so well up to that point. In particular the penis jokes have been too abused t this point. So that’s why I’m going to give it a safe rating at the moment, and if it can pull itself back up, then that’s only a good result.

#10 (14) – Kyoukai Senjou no Horzion – (8,25/10)

Thee is a ton of magic-babble in this series, but that’s also what makes it interesting. The premise and culture behind this series are very creative and while hard to follow, it’s definitely consistently interesting. And then there is the fact that everyone’s boobs are enormous and the male main character seems to think that groping them is a form of bonding. What the hell?

#9 (17) – Nurarihyon no Mago – (8,25/10)

Well, finally we’re getting somewhere! It took a bloody long while, but now that Nurarihyon is finally delivering it has finally gotten interesting to watch. Finally there is a lot of stuff going on at the same time, instead of just dull and straightforward build-up.

#8 (9) – Hunter X Hunter – (8,25/10)

Hunter X Hunter so far has been better than the first series in terms of pacing (scenes flow much smoothly into each other), and worse in terms of acting (most of the voice actors lack subtlety). It’s shown that it can deliver on the heavy scenes though, so everything is still possible at this moment.

#7 (10) – Tamayura ~ Hitotose – (8,25/10)

This series turned out to be excellent slice of life. It’s not dull enough for nothing to happen, and every episode feels inspired. The voice acting is excellent, the animation really brings the characters alive, and on top of that the setting also feels vibrant.

#6 (7) – Fate/Zero – (8,25/10)

This show has been steadily building up its story, and it’s gradually getting better and better to make up for its rather slow pacing. The themes of chivalry get slowly more and more meaning, and more and more characters start to get interesting. There still are some characters that need some work, like the Caster duo and Saber herself, but there is still plenty of time left with such a steady pacing.

#5 (5) – Last Exile ~ Ginkyou no Fam – (8,25/10)

In this month, Last Exile wasn’t exactly the most consistent series. There were time where it was a little too childish and panderish. The points where it delivered however, it REALLY DELIVERED, with absolutely gorgeous artwork, a fantastic atmosphere, and characters that are very easy to relate to. Especially Giselda stole the show in the latest episode.

#4 (3) – Chihayafuru – (8,5/10)

It’s a simple concept, but this series has really nailed its execution. This month introduced all of the side characters, and they’re all important to the main characters, rather than just being some token characters. The acting still is wonderful, and the Karuta matches are actually starting to get more interesting with each episode, thanks to the passion that the characters put in it.

#3 (2) – Hyouge Mono – (8,75/10)

Overall this has been a very consistent series: consistently interesting, consistently silly, and consistently developing its plot. Things still are moving at a steady, albeit slow pace, and it still is a joy to watch this show even after 30 episodes.

#2 (4) – Un-Go – (8,75/10)

Out of all the new shows this Autumn Season, this is definitely the one that stood out. It has fantastic storytelling, combining terrific episodic stories perfectly together with a continuous storyline, and it makes sure to deliver every single week. The pacing is very addictive, the stories are really interesting, the mystery is excellent, and it doesn’t waste a single minute. I complained about the characters before, but even they turned out to be really interesting to watch.

#1 (1) – Mawaru Penguion Drum – (9/10)

Penguin Drum at the moment is really building towards its home stretch. This month was full of plot twists and character development. The direction still is really excellent, which makes every episode a joy to watch.

1. Oroboros says:

Y U NO LIKE FUTURE DIARY?

Solid rankings otherwise.

2. gandalf8 says:

I really have to say something regarding Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. Its weird marriage of a very, very complex storyline with boatloads of otaku pandering stereotypes was at first glance to me doomed for failure. Yet somehow, they managed to make it work, especially in these past few episodes when the main plot starts to gather momentum. Even Torii, who at first glance seems like the cliche idiotic, perverted MC of a substandard harem anime, seems to hide a much darker and deeper character. It feels as if each idiotic or perverted antic he does seems very calculated, and to mask his true intentions besides putting his enemies off guard when they face him.

Regarding Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam, I still can’t forgive it for how stupidly the characters may act at times (that Ades officer in epsiode 5), all the awkwardly inserted otaku pandering moments (Millia in that maid outfit) and how bland and uninteresting the main character, Fam still is. The battles also sometimes lack that little something, with some illogical tactics or actions taken by the characters during the battle. I’m still waiting for a battle like the Silvana VS Urbanus battle at Dragon’s Fang in LE. Oh well, its only 7 episodes in, so I can only hope that it will get better.

3. Karry says:

“#2 (4) – Un-Go ”

If anyone needed further proof how awful his tastes are…

4. Ichi says:

@Karry : Bad troll is bad.

5. Puran says:

Glad to see Un-Go rise in the ranks. It did have an awesome month (with the last episode being extra awesome). I’m not sure if they fixed the pacing or I’m getting used to it, but it used to bother me in the first couple of episodes, while I really enjoyed it this month.

Also, episode 7 serves as a really good advertisement for the series. I showed it to a friend (I spent a couple of minutes explaining some basic things about the setting) and I got him hooked.

6. micaharu says:

mawaru’s gonna end next month it makes me depressed to think that the only show i look forward to will end. >_

7. AidanAK47 says:

Alright first off. Saber had an entire route dedicated to her character in fate/stay night. So she’s pretty developed so don’t blame this show for something like that just because you didn’t read/watch fate.

As for Horzion I have tried to get into it. However it’s just not good for me. Regardless of how complex the setting is it’s never a good sign if you require a dictionary to understand a show. Even with that in mind the characters are all just bland one sided stereotypes and there is simply far too many. They add about 3/5 new characters each episode. The combat as well is the typical deus ex machina bleach banter. I can’t see the value of this show.

Un go is an ok show. But it’s flaws are to great. The worst thing is just how pointless the show is. When you get down to it what does the detective achieve when he solves a mystery? Nothing. The villain isn’t punished. The truth is covered up and well everything the detective figures out is thrown aside. It’s very unsatisfying. I can also say that the deductions are either too obvious or highly questionable.

8. Joojoobees says:

Un-Go is the surprise of the season. It seems to operate on multiple levels at once. Instead of simply being a mystery, or a mystery with supernatural elements, or a mystery with supernatural elements that is also a Sci-Fi commentary on the contemporary issues, it managed to go beyond all that, and become all of that plus a meta-critical contemplation on the mystery genre and the quest for Truth. Anyone not watching Un-Go is missing out.

That having been said, Chihayafuru is my favorite of the season. The direction, artwork, music, acting, characters, and story all come together. It isn’t deeply philosophical, like Un-Go, but it is very human. I love it!

9. Random_Passerby_Number_612 says:

@AidanAK47: Actually, Saber’s development in the visual novel has little to no relation to her as a character in F/Z. These events take place before the VN, after all, so we can only judge on how this war will change her based on her character in the Fifth Grail War. Having read the VN, I was quite surprised by how different she is in Zero.

10. DangerMouse says:

“that Ades officer in epsiode 5″

That Ades officer in ep 5 was not an Ades officer, he’s just a spoiled noble likely from a lesser country previously conquered and integrated into the Ades Federation (he’s also the same spoiled noble the pirates stole from in the first ep). This is also why all of the ships they’ve stolen are completely outdated models that have essentially been sold off, essentially noble trophy ships.

Hence why he was basically obliged to do whatever any officer in a gray “real Ades uniform” says and/or believe it, just like when Luscinia shows up lesser nobles usually cower. And as you can see in ep 7, when real Ades officers are involved they are on a whole other level.

I’ve actually really liked the battle tactics and I also like the different styles of the Ades commanders like Orang. I don’t find Fam’s character uninteresting at all, I just think it’s now her turn to undergo some changes to really grow her since Millia and now Giselle have had some really great developments. I think we’re about to get it too looking at Fam’s reactions during ep 7’s battle and her apology note to Atamora where it felt clearly like she’s beginning to recognize that it’s time for her change.

Ep 7 was great, I really hope ep 8 delivers with all the big things that look like they are going to go down next time along with the Silvius’ first real action and this new country seemingly about to get involved as it looks like those unknown pilots from the OP may be showing up. I agree about looking forward to something as badass as the Dragon’s Fang battle, but that didn’t happen until the halfway point in the first LE, if we get something like that earlier this time that would be incredible in the new show. Hopefully Sadri being the old experienced commander can make this battle or an upcoming one as strategic and move vs move as that great one between Alex and Vincent.

@Joojoobees: Totally agree, Un-go has turned out really awesome.

11. Puran says:

@Aidan: We get to see the how’s and why’s of the mystery. That’s what detective stories do. I don’t see how adding a small scene where the perpetrator(s) go to jail would actually add something to the series.

With that said, I would like this whole truth vs a beautiful lie thing get developed more. It would be interesting.

12. Tan-Tan says:

Himari’s position in that screenshot…reminds me of Cure Moonlight from her transformation.

I miss Heartcatch Precure 8(

13. rufe says:

You may think Mashiro’s behavior was childish (working through “injury”), but that’s basically how several of my friends have ended their musical carriers. It’s very difficult to take time off when you’ve been putting in hours every day since childhood (requires tremendous discipline to take more than a few days)

Much more the case if you see this as your one and only chance to really accomplish what you wanted in life. People play through injuries for major competitions and I imagine Mashiro sees…you know actually getting published in Jump as his big chance and isn’t wanting to get the series canceled.

Incidentally I agree that the series is loosing its touch. Especially in the manga the cast has gotten too big, too much is glossed over, and the drama has gotten over the top.

Also I don’t see why Chizuru bothers you so much. I have bubbly friends who admittedly can be grating at times, but this doesn’t make or break a person or character.

He also is actually a pretty funny character. Like in this weeks episode it was pretty funny how straightforward he is compared to the twins.

14. Dalx says:

reading this post I had an ephiphany about Persona 4 main lameness. Something that slipped out of this adaptation and was important in the characterization of the “pee guy” called yosuke.

He was a douche and a stupid character yet he had moments where there was insight or madurity in him. Not for anything he is the foil to the big-bad in the story. In the anime he is just the stupid teenager.

And so, it is that every character was reduced to their steoreotype that was supposed to be subverted because of the pacing change of the S. links.

It is just adapting the shallow parts of everything.

I’m only following Un-go, Bento and mawaru, busy school season, I agree with their ranking.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Saturday, May 28. 2016 08:11 PM)
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Saturday, May 28. 2016 08:10 PM)
    @Wicked: I might read that I liked Kodocha and parts of honey bitter.
    @Mario: I think shion sono made a live action movie of that.
  • SuperMario
    (Saturday, May 28. 2016 11:57 AM)
    @Maamoo: if you like datk twisted psychological thriller I would recommend my favorite manga: psychometrer Eiji. It’s a shame that they haven’t adapted it to anime yet
  • Wicked
    (Saturday, May 28. 2016 09:22 AM)
    @Maamoo I got one that might be right in your wheelhouse called Partner by Miho Obana. It’s dark, twisted, and crazy. Problem is I just can’t find it licensed and published in english anywhere.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 08:02 PM)
    @Maamoo: I suppose if you’re looking for a shoujo manga I’d recommend Black rose Alice, afterschool nightmare, Count cain(and its sequel Godchild), angel sanctuary.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 07:59 PM)
    @Mamamoo: Keep in mind that although monster will be suspenseful/nailbiting/chilling/a mature thriller with one heck of a villain, it will have filler/drag/too many arcs. Berserk will be an experience of highs and lows and it kind of declines after a particular arc. Good decision choosing cardcaptor sakura’s manga over the anime, the anime I think left some stuff out.
  • mamamoo
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 05:35 PM)
    I’ve decided to get into manga on whim today after exclusively only watch anime for 6 years. I’m thinking of getting Monster, Berserk, Cardcaptor Sakura and 1 more. I think I want another shoujo manga in there to just keep the balance. Any recommendations? I like complicated\\pyschological dark stuff which sounds a bit contradictory to the shoujo genre but I’m just putting it out there for a recc
  • AidanAK47
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 04:11 PM)
    @K-Off, I do have the option to update WordPress but to do so I need psgels FTP password. I could try sending him a message to see if I can get that or if he can do it himself.
  • K-Off
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 03:52 AM)
    @Aidan If the “recent comments” is failing to show up this often, it may be a problem with the plugin or maybe even the theme itself, the site is outdated. If you can do anything on your end you can try.
  • K-Off
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 03:39 AM)
    Okay for now, the Featured Posts box will have only 6 thumbnails in it until the next few reviews, since for some reason I can tag helghast’s OST review but not any of the previous episodes.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Bungou Stray Dogs 08a

Bungou Stray Dogs – 08

I have to say more than anything this is Bungou Stray Dogs’ special episode, in a sense that in one hand, the show produces one of its most brilliance ever, but on the other hand, there are still many shortcomings along with the greatness, producing an episode that mostly entertainment but uneven. The introduction of […]

Joker Game - 08 1

Joker Game – 08

Well Joker Game managed to pull a twist I didn’t see coming and what makes it rather amusing is that it did it unintentionally. For you see it took the entire episode for me to figure out that I wasn’t watching the antics of another spy of the D-agency only to figure out that this […]

Flying witch 07b

Flying witch – 07

One of the thing that Flying witch always does it right is how it establish the chemistry between any characters, while at the same time maintain the consistency in their personalities. It feels like if you give them any random characters in any random situation, pretty much the show can hit it off. Last week […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 08 1

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 08

I feel bad for the artists and animators who made the opening and ending for this show as they don’t seem to be getting much use. Not that I am complaining of course as if the choice is between a catchy theme song and more content then content wins every time. Though it is a […]

Kiznaiver - 07 4

Kiznaiver – 07

To some this may be the strongest episode of Kiznaiver to date. However to someone like myself I find myself mixed on what I just witnessed. I have said before that what I like about this series are the aspects which are distinctly Trigger which would be it’s sense of wacky humor and character chemistry. […]

Mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga – 08

Again this week Mayoiga succeed at bringing a big screw-you to us audience. The cliffhanger last week is quickly revealed, and we come to learn that Masaki is not a ghost, nor is she a witch, but simply that… she had visited the Lost Village before. Big surprise! It really is a ridiculous anti-climax, but […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 06

If you haven’t heard by now, the second season of Attack on Titan has been delayed till 2017 because Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is far too awesome for Studio Wit to handle in a single year. I really couldn’t care less about the delay since I already know what’s going to happen in season […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 07d

Bungou Stray Dogs – 07

This week the plot revolving the Azure King was resolved and it raises the conflict of sense of justice between Dazai and Kunikida. Like what I suspected last week, all the new characters are in play in this episode and now I get the hang of Bungou Stray Dogs storytelling now. The new characters will […]

Joker Game - 07 3

Joker Game – 07

You know, I am beginning to wonder just how do those lessons go at the D-Agency. Is it something like “Ok, class. Today I will teach you how to summon dolphins with a whistle. After that we will go over the magic rituals of Aleister Crowley and finally have a refresher on the finer points […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]

Nüwa’s Growth Diary

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 2: Chinese Anime shows

As much as I hated the term Chinese Anime (Anime stands for Japanese animation, strictly speaking), this is the exact term for those shows. Their influence from the Anime was so heavy that apart from the voice cast and some scene settings, you can’t tell those apart from the original anime. With that said, judge from […]

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular in their mainland and some parts of Asian countries. With the success of Kung Fu Panda (half-produced by China) and its power on movies industry (China IS the main market for feature films now), it is worth it to take a look on this current trend and see how they are different from anime.
While my fellow bloggers are the ones who more specialize in Games and Manga, I will be the one who cover World Animation (by that I mean anything animated other than anime and American big studio animation – they got way too much coverage already). Like majority of you guys I am not from China, my Chinese is as good as my Japanese (which is to say NONE), so this is actually goddamn difficult to look for titles, and the information I could find are sacred here on top of that find a suitable sub for it, most of them does not even have an English name, thus the title and the synopsis that I give you here are just a rough translation. So behold. This is our very first attempt to cover the animation of china.

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 1: Computer Animated Wuxia shows

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular […]

asagao to kase-san

K-Off’s Ongoing Manga Recommendations (embedded links)

If you frequent the frontpage of Imgur or r/manga often, you may have seen some of my past manga recommendation lists before, but here’s some ongoing manga that I’ll recommend for now. This is in no particular order of best-worst, I’ve also embedded the links to the scanlations into the images for your convenience. 1. […]

New Manga Spotlight – Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne, Shoujo Fujuubun and Shimanami Tasogare

Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne Two chapters so far. Ah love, that sweet nectar which all seek to experience. And truly there is nothing more romantic than gathering up your courage, inviting the girl you love up to the roof, taking her by the shoulders and proclaiming with all your […]

kQtrlYU

Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei video game review- 35/100 (avoid it like the plague)

To preface, I’d call this the poor man’s Fire Emblem if it wasn’t so damn expensive for its quality, not to mention so difficult to find. Here in New York City outside of lower Manhattan, there’s game stores in Brooklyn, Queens, Flatiron, and Newport, to a total count of 12 game stores in a 20 […]

413420_20160420220647_1

DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair Video Game Review – 90/100

There may be those of you who know this series more by its anime adaption instead of it’s video games and if you haven’t watched the anime of this I highly recommend that you don’t watch it. Instead play the games which have been recently ported to Steam. The reason I say this is that […]