Posted by psgels on 11 December 2011 with categories: Yearly Summaries

Compiling my top OPs and EDs of the year always is the most annoying part of writing up my yearly summaries, because this means that I have to listen to hordes of utterly horrid J-Pop songs in order to separate the cream of the crop. Still, having cringed for god knows how many times at some utterly terrible songs that eventually instantly made me turn for the off-button like some sort of reflex, I do want to highlight the series that do put in effort to create a memorable opening or ending. Whether it’s based on a simple well executed idea, or an ambitious project with a really interesting creative vision. I don’t care for OPs that just introduce the cast or hint un-subtly at random spoilers, or EDs that just contain a mellow ballad with a still image, I want to see something different or more. These too are great opportunities to showcase great animation.

So ere you have it, my top 23 of favorite OPs and EDs of the past year. Why such a random number as 23? Well… I miscounted. actually thought that I was making a top 20, but only found out too late that I had three entries too many for that.

#23: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – ED

Of course, there are a bunch of entries of Shaft on this list. Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko was very annoying and misleading, but I can’t deny: this ED looks just gorgeous. The fanservice may be annoying, but the themes of ufos fit in perfectly with the first episodes of the series. The song itself is also very well built up, and for that it’s good enough to close off this list.

#22: Ginama’ OP 1

This OP is on the list because of its energy. I’m a big fan of energetic OPs, and this one is really catering to that. The song kicks ass, while the visuals pretty much nailed both the serious and silly parts of this show.

#21: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – OP

The direction of this OP is pretty generic, if it wasn’t for the content material of combining cute animals with hideous and gory character designs, but the OP is just so damn catchy. It makes a few nice subtle jokes too.

#20: Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – OP

This OP. THAT VOICE! Seriously, this is by far the most squeaky OP of the entire season. But I can’t deny: it’s original and quite creative, and the animation in particular is really good and brings the characters to live with vivid and fluid animations. If only the actual series was a bit like this.

#19: Dororon – Enma-Kun – ED

I’ve been doing these lists for a couple of years now, and the OPs always end up outnumbering the EDs. For me, a good ED adds something to the series, whether it’s atmosphere, tension, or meaning. This was always a great and very tongue in cheek way to close off a show that’s this crazy. Especially the final scene that just hints at one giant drug trip fits it so well, but I also love that whenever something bizarre happened to one of the characters, those changes would also show up in this ED.

#18: Dragon Crisis – ED

I really have to say: this OP is pretty much the best thing of the entire Dragon Crisis series. Even more than with Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko, which still had its memorable moments. Both the song and video are well produced, it’s well sung, and it’s trying something different with its use of instruments. It really worked for me.

#17: Maria Holic – ED

I never bothered to watch Maria Holic Alive for more than an episode, so I didn’t encounter this ED until when I compiled this list. So with that in mind: what the hell was that? This thing is just crazy and I have to admit that it has some neat visual ideas. The vocalists are all terrible, though.

#16: Persona 4 The Animation – ED

This also is one of those EDs that just flows really naturally from out of the end of each episode. It’s simple, but I get what the visuals are trying to symbolize in the show’s context. The sound of both the OP (which didn’t make this list, by the way) and ED are both also very cool, which makes it quite enjoyable to watch every single time.

#15: Usagi Drop – OP

Before I started to compile this list, I really did not expect that this OP would make it in. The song’s style is just completely in the opposite direction of my tastes. And yet, as I started to look at it more closely, I realized what a good OP this is. Its visuals are very inspired, and give a great interpretation of a single father on top. The music meanwhile… sounds far less annoying than what I thought it was.

#14: Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – Hakkairoku-hen – ED

This one… I just had to include it. THIS is the reason that we just don’t see any females in Akagi or Kaiji. It’s clear that the creators intended this ED to be one giant troll, completely different from anything the series is about and ever will be about. But it was hilariously disturbing.

#13: Nurarihyon no Mago – Sennen Makyou – OP

Now this is one that haunts me whenever I watch it. I should note that this also is a genre that I normally dislike a lot: J-Rock too often is too cheesy for me. Here though, the singer manages to compose himself just enough to not let this cheese take over the show, and let the amazing art here do its job. Nurarihyon no Mago went though a significant budget upgrade for its second season, and that really shows here more than ever.

#12: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED

Secret Base “Kimi ga Kureta Mono” (Ano Hana ED) ~ Karaoke Lyrics from Garoo Studio on Vimeo.

Now this just is a huge chunk of emotion. The series was a roller coaster of emotions, and this ED was just absolutely wonderful in carrying over the melancholy at the climax of each episode. It’s powerfully sung and fits this show perfectly.

#11: X-Men OP

This is instrumental, but apart from that it just has everything: a kick-ass song, incredible visuals, gorgeous art. A lot of the Marvel series OPs and EDs are like this, and perfect to get the adrenaline going. I decided to represent them with the X-Men OP though, because it does hold a candle above the others with its visuals, plus I also feel that its track works the best of the bunch.

#10: Deadman Wonderland – OP

You can actually see that some of the same people who worked on this OP worked on the OP for Ergo Proxy. It may not look AS good, but the visual style still is incredibly slick and the animation really brings out the emotions. Deadman wonderland being about this crazy prison, it fully captures the mood, both in the images and the music itself.

#9: Gosick – ED2

The point where this ED appeared was also the point where Gosick finally got better. It really shows a wonderful portrayal of Victorique, doing much more than showing a bunch of images: it shows what an impact Kujou made on her life. And on top of that: that voice! This is really beautifully sung.

#8: Hyouge Mono – OP

This one is a gem, if only for the story behind it. For those of you who don’t know: originally Hyouge Mono had this laid-back OP song, sung by this laid back groove band. This went well and all, until one of its members got arrested, the band got disbanded, and Bee-Train suddenly lost all of the licensing rights. They had to come up with a solution fast, so they quickly recorded a random jazz piece in order to replace the song with. This jazz piece was fairly normal but pretty decent, and it lasted for a couple of weeks. After that, I can only imagine that they went “screw it, this is boring! we’re in this position now, so why shouldn’t we use this opportunity to experiment!?”. The result was a completely crazy soundtrack over the exact same footage. It was just surreal, to see the once so dignified Op be turned into this.. thing. I wish I could also show the graphics, but I unfortunately couldn’t such a version anywhere.

#7: Blood-C – OP

This is really everything I’m looking for in an OP: great, inspired visuals, excellent animation, and a terrific song that manages to make use of the fact that it’s only 90 seconds long. For once the singer tries to combine his Japanese with french, which is quite refreshing after having to sit through so many bloody OPs that throw random Engrish words in their lyrics.

#6: Un-Go – ED

There really is one ED that immediately stood above all of the other EDs this year. When I first watched it, I was convinced that this would end up as my favorite ED of the year. There’s just so much imagination put in the visuals. Every shot here kicks ass and is a great composition on its own. The song itself is mellow, yet inspired. Plus, it the way it alternates between male and female vocals: that’s also something you don’t often hear in EDs.

#5: Fractale – OP

I’m sorry. I just… I just love the idea behind this. The show is called Fractale, it’s about a computer system called the “Fractale”. So what do you show for an OP? A fractal, of course! It’s so brilliantly simple. Screw the idea that you need to line up all of the characters one by one for an OP, Ops are meant to be creative. On top of that, the song itself is just one of those J-Pop songs that my bias against the genre will gladly make an exception to. Great voice, great composition. All around a great OP that I could watch for many times after each other.

#4: No.6 – OP

I know that with this, Noitamina has dominated one fourth of this Top 20, but this is the last one, I swear. Even though the timeslot headed into a significantly different direction this year, it had a selection of wonderful OPs. The best one came from Number 6, though. It all fits: a great song, great animation, and a great message. It’s one of those rare EDs that actually manage to tell a story of their own about the two lead characters. It’s a perfect introduction for this series.

#3: Sacred Seven – OP

Yuki Kajiura delivers again with an amazing song here. On top of that, the visuals here were directed by Sayo Yamamoto, the director of Michiko to Hatchin, who I’m a big fan of. And indeed, the visuals here perfectly fit both the song and the series. In fact, she actually succeeded to nail the main characters of this series, and made them look exciting. And I still remain convinced that the main character has one of the best vehicles out there. So yes, what does Sunrise do?Halfway through the series they swap out this OP for a much more generic one, turn the song into the Ed and swap a generic still frame on it. Why Sunrise, why!??!

#2: Kamisama Dolls – OP

Yuki Kajiura is great, but this year her former partner at See-Saw did one-up her with an amazing song that trumps even Sacred Seven’s OP.. Her voice is just amazing and works incredibly well right next to the latin-esque tunes that you hardly ever get to hear in anime. The visual direction meanwhile has a very neat idea that’s really well worked out with just perfect transitions.

#1: Level E – OP

Now this is just one of those OPs where everything fits. First of all the song here is much closer to my usual taste in music than nearly all other OPs and EDs out there, and the singer especially manages to sing it with a lot of power. This is a series about science fiction, aliens and other space oddities and that gets perfectly portrayed in this OP. It’s action-packed, suspenseful, all of the images are freaky and imaginative. This definitely stands out as my favorite OP of 2011.

1. ChobitsChi says:

I am actually surprised that none of the OPs/EDs from Mawaru Penguindrum made it to this list… Did you maybe forget them?
    Imo, the 1st OP and the 3rd(?) ED were quite nice.

2. notintheface11 says:

What? No Penguindrum ED? I absolutely love taht one, it captures the feeling of the show perfectly. Also I love the Mirai Nikki OP, although that one’s probably too “typical” for psgels’ list. :-P

3. joojoobees says:

Nice collection of tunes. I’m really glad that Kamisama Dolls placed so high. I wasn’t impressed with the show itself, but the OP was very interesting, as you said, both for the unusual Latin feel to the music, and the very inspired visuals idea and direction.

Also interesting that LAMA managed to pull 1/5th of your top 10. Fanatasy is such a great song!

4. Ben says:

I thought Mirai Nikki’s OP would of at least made the top 10 but it’s not even on the list, oh well.

5. kero says:

I guess music will always be a personal thing.

I don’t know all the songs, but I’m surprised that no.6 OPrated higher the un-go EP. I can’t stand No 6’s song, the voice register is too high, whereas Un-go is fantastic.
    And like previous comments have said, pretty shocked that MPD didn’t feature at all! where as I randomly clicked a few of the ones you’ve put up and were not impressed.

So yeah, I think it must be a personal music taste thing.

• Taka says:

You do know that No. 6 OP and Un-go ED are by the same person, right?
      Just checking.

p.s. I liked Spell better than Fantasy as well. But psgels might have liked it more on visuals since Fantasy is pretty static.

• kero says:

Yes I do know! The voice stayed on the right side in fantasy, plus it’s a duet, and so half the time it was the guy singing. I liked his part more.

6. Taka says:

Awesome list a lot of songs I enjoyed a lot of this list, especially overlooked ones like Blood-C, Deadman Wonderland, and Hyouge Mono.
    Fractale probably gets my top vote as well. You should check out Azuma Hitomi’s single for Harinezumi. It has the OP/ED and, my favorite, the B-Side Onaji Yume. A great single.
    The new Gintama OP/ED combo is kickass as well.
    I’m surprised though that the first Gosick ED did nothing for you. I liked Lisa Komine’s work on Resuscitated Hope a bit better but then I wouldn’t get to see all the wonderful period clothes Victorique wears in the end. Toss up for me.
    I also quite dug Dantalian no Shoka’s OP/ED even though for the most part they made absolutely no sense in the context and tone of the show.
    Finally I quite enjoy the OPs of some of the currently airing shows like Guilty Crown, Ben-To, and Shana s3.

Also I had this song Pair by Meaw the ED of Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei stuck in my head FOREVER.

7. 7godeohs says:

I know it’s bad, but one of my favorites OPs came from episode 5 of Sacred Seven when gg trolled it and replaced OP with ‘Ridin’ Dirty’ It was unbelievable how well the lyrics in the song fit with the animation. The original techno OP just didn’t do it for me.

I agree that some of the new stuff is really great and I would have liked to see some represented here, but again music is a personal preferences and my tastes are not the authors tastes.

That being said, I’ll throw my preferences in here as well: I enjoyed the OP to Deadman Wonderland, Gosick (but not the 2nd ED at all), and Mirai Nikki. I liked the ED of Ano Hi Mita (a lot) and the ED/OP of Penguindrum. For some reason I like the OP of Guilty Crown even though I feel like I shouldn’t.

8. robersora says:

Lol, i’m asking the same question as ChobitsChi…
    No Opening nor an Ending of Mawaru Penguin Drum? You should have put one of the Openings for the participation of Yakushimaru in those alone! ;) Also, in my opinion, the visuals were very nice and reflected the style of the series; so I really don’t know why you didn’t vote one of those in. It also baffles me that you didn’t add the Opening to Mirai Nikki. It’s really nicely animated and the song is cool too…
    So please, explain :)

9. Kiarae says:

Yeah-ha, Level E! That was my first thought on “has to be in the top” when I saw the header! Definitely my favorite of the year as well.

It’s nice to see that shows are experimenting more as well. Too much has been basing off of like the Shounen stereotype of J-pop w/action (or heck, just J-pop when it doesn’t fit) from years of old. I want to see more of the likes of Level E and Shiki in my openings – really drawing me in instead of “HEY LOOKIT!”.

10. Suzushina Yuriko says:

You probably didn’t put any Mawaru Penguindrum songs on there because all of them were taken down. At least, I hope that’s the case.

I am, however, surprised that you didn’t put GOSICK’s first ending. In my opinion, it’s better than the second ending and is incredibly beautiful in both visual and audio aspects.

I’m also a little surprised that you didn’t think fate/zero’s glorious ending was better than openings/endings with horrible singing. Seriously, they did a great job taking inspiration from real-life art of each of the servants and coupling them with a strong and melancholic song.

I can’t believe there are none of the school food punishment songs. For whatever reason you seem to just listen to them once and call them “bland” when they’re probably one of the most artistic and innovative J-pop bands out there. Pay close attention to their instrumentals and lyrics and compare them with mainly everything else on this list. C’s “RPG” got an “excellent” rating and an in-depth explanation about why it’s so good from the Anime Instrumentality Blog and I think you should probably go read it to see if it changes your mind about them. That ending was also very creative with its pixel motif.

As for No. 6’s opening…I liked the ending a lot better. The female singer’s voice just grated on me in that song.

Speaking of C, why isn’t their opening on there? Sure the song is slightly generic J-rock, but I thought the paper money motif was very creative.

Dantalian no Shoka’s opening was also incredibly beautiful. The song is a serious contender to Elfen Lied’s Lilium, and the visuals are gorgeously animated and choreographed to the song. No idea why that isn’t on there either.

Other songs that I think are missing are Mirai Nikki’s opening, Guilty Crown’s opening (the show is crap but the opening’s great), UN-GO’s opening, GOSICK’s opening, Madoka’s ending, Steins;Gate’s opening/ending, and Kamisama no Memochou’s opening.

I know I probably have no right to complain on a list of someone’s opinion, but I just thought that there were a lot of better openings and endings that deserved to be highlighted more.

11. imredjimmy says:

I have to agree with Level E opening! The animation and the song were perfect for the anime! I’m sad to see no Mawaru Penguindrum but oh well, music is a very personal thing. I’m glad that at least one song from No.6 made it and I knew Un Go’s ending would be featured in this top :)

12. Cholisose says:

#1 opening of the year (and perhaps EVER) for me has to be the second opening of Nichijou. That was soooooooo amazing and fun. And crazy. And EPIC.

And I’m in love with the second Gosick ending. It is such a beautiful song–the first time I heard it, I was nearly breathless.

Other special mentions:
    Mirai Nikki’s opening – Such haunting visuals, and crazy music! It’s so unique-sounding.
    Kamisama Doll’s ending – Everyone likes the OP, but the ED is what really impressed me. (I need to finish that show…)

13. Mormegil says:

Love that Kamisama Dolls OP. So stylish.

14. Alec says:

I guess this is all a matter of taste. I actually disklike half of the op/ed on your list

Lol. GG’s version of the Sacred 7 opening was 100x better compared to the original xD

My fav 10 would be.
    Mawaru Penguindrum 1st ED
    Un-Go ED
    Ano Hana OP
    Fractale OP
    Horou Musuko ED
    Kuragehime ED
    Usagi Drop OP
    Tiger & Bunny OP1
    Tiger & Bunny Op2
    Nichijou Op1
    Nichijoi Op2

Liked No.6 OP song, but after a week or two, it got too annoying for me. Maybe the crappy finish to the anime affected that.

15. Arisu says:

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED was unforgettable.

16. ender650 says:

Favorite OPs
    Hanasaku Iroha (both)
    Steins;Gate
    One Piece
    Tamayura: Hitotose
    Nichijou (both)

Favorite EDs
    Madoka
    Steins;Gate
    Tamayura: Hitotose

17. AKI says:

I wish you could compile a top thirty or sorts. Other ten notable omissions:

Coaltar of the Deepers – Dear Future (Mawaru Penguin Drum)
    Galileo Galilei – Aoi Shiori (Ano Hana)
    How Merry Marry – Boku ni Dekiru Koto (Natsume Yuujinchou San)
    JAMIL – The Rock City Boy (Fairy Tail)
    Amuro Namie – Fight Together (One Piece)
    Itou Kanako – Hacking to the Gate (Steins;Gate)
    School Food Punishment – RPG (C)
    Marina Fujiwara – Daydream Generation (Yumekuri Merry)
    The Pillows – Comic Sonic (Sket Dance)
    2PM – Take Off (Ao no Exorcist)

18. mezzoguitar says:

Well, that’s a fine list you’ve got there.

Here are a few ones I love that you didn’t include:

[C] ED – Wow. I understand that you didn’t like this ED, but it was awesome for me. The animation was a feast for the eyes; the song was bright, exciting, and brilliantly instrumented. This ED is one of the factors which helped me like this anime as much as I did, since it closed every episode on a high note. I couldn’t help grinning like a moron at the end of every episode because of this ED.

Nichijou OP1 – The animation is so freaking crazy, and the song is lovable and grows on you. It’s a pity that the majority of the anime couldn’t live up to its OP. The second OP for this anime is also good, but it has an inferior song so it doesn’t cut the cheese.

Mirai Nikki OP – I’m not even watching this show yet, but this is a grand OP with a deliciously dark flavor to it.

19. Kiseki says:

You dropped Inazuma GO long before things started moving…anyway, try check out OP 2. It has the energy Inazuma is known for (first OP is weakest out of all). And a lot of rainbows.

You should also check out Beelzebub ED 3. I doubt you’ll care for the song but the visuals are gorgeous.

Hell yeah Level E.

20. jreding says:

I would rate Denpa Onna or AnoHana OP #1. My #1 ED would be Usagi Drop ED for the still image of smiling Rin which changed every episode; the song and this image had quite a strong impact on me.

Also I also mention HanaIro OP for the animation quality and Ben-To OP for the action.

Oh, and I found myself strangely addicted both to the first OP and ED of Suite Precure because they are so catchy and optimistic. I dropped that show, however, after I realized that I watched it only for the OP/ ED!

21. Binayo says:

#23: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – ED
    I’m surprised this one made your list. I agree that it has stunning visuals, but I hate the song. I always ended up skipping it.
    #22: Ginama’ OP 1
    So much energy, so many things happening on screen! The opening doesn’t feel like 90 seconds at all.
    #21: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – OP
    This anime was just too weird for me, so I decided to skip this one. I’m sure I didn’t catch the jokes in this opening.
    #20: Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – OP
    When I first watched this opening I was like: my ears! Turn it off!! But somewhere along the way I actually started to like the song, eventually singing along with a voice just as terrible as the original ^^’
    #19: Dororon – Enma-Kun – ED
    Only saw a few episodes, but I like this ending :)
    #18: Dragon Crisis – ED
    Haven’t seen Dragon Crisis, but I agree that this ed looks nice.
    #17: Maria Holic – ED
    Due to time restraints I didn’t watch this sequel, but this is some crazy stuff.
    #16: Persona 4 The Animation – ED
    Nice song with very simple visuals, nothing special though.
    #15: Usagi Drop – OP
    Somehow the song was more fitting as ending song of the (live action) movie, but the visuals are really cute.
    #14: Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – Hakkairoku-hen – ED
    Everytime I see this thing I can only laugh. I love this!
    #13: Nurarihyon no Mago – Sennen Makyou – OP
    Dropped this right before the change of opening, but this is definitely better than the first opening! Maybe I should pick this up again. I have already watched this far, I can sit through another 13 episodes! I think…
    #12: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED
    I remember this ending being so awesome that my old computer couldn’t handle it! Had to settle for lower quality to watch it :(
    #11: X-Men OP
    That is one epic song! Skipped the anime though.
    #10: Deadman Wonderland – OP
    I love this opening! Good song, everything red, characters looking badass, what more to ask for?
    #9: Gosick – ED2
    Never thought I was going to say this, but I miss Gosick. I love Lisa Komine’s voice. But to be honest, I thought I’d be seeing the opening on your list. So many details and hints that only made sense after watching the anime, I thought it was wonderfully done.
    #8: Hyouge Mono – OP
    Still must get around to watching this. I love history, I love samurai, I love tea, I can understand Japanese… what the hell am I doing skipping this thing!?
    #7: Blood-C – OP
    Beautiful but simple, I like it!
    #6: Un-Go – ED
    I love this ending! Without doubt my favorite ending this year!
    #5: Fractale – OP
    I’m still convinced they are trying to brainwash me.
    #4: No.6 – OP
    Another lama song I really like, I must buy their album!
    #3: Sacred Seven – OP
    They see me rollin’, they hatin’… guess that’s what you get if you watched that version before the original.
    #2: Kamisama Dolls – OP
    Great song and great visuals. Loved the village vs the city collage.
    #1: Level E – OP
    I agree with this one being number 1! Too bad the ending didn’t make your list as well.

22. AzaKana says:

About AnoHana ED: It’s a remake from the all time hit from girls band ZONE. To be correct, we can say that the entire anime is a tribute to this song for the 10th anniversary of the band separation. In fact, this version includes “ten years after” in his title. There’s a special tribute album with various artists covers of ZONE hits, released for a one time reunification of the band this summer.
    So AnoHana fits this song perfectly, not the opposite :)

23. sheratan says:

I am bit surprised that Cras Numquam Scire [Dantalian no Shoka] was not included in the list.

24. Joe says:

Very nice! Quite a few series I still need to check out like Penguindrum and Usagi Drop but here is mine from what I saw this year…

10. No. 6 OP
    1. AnoHana ED

25. Hamlet says:

>X-Men OP
    >No Madoka Ending/Any Mawaru OP

Woot?

26. Juno says:

Personally, the biggest impact in OP/ED for me come from Madoka.
    I mean, the opening’s atmosphere was probably a bit too whimsical, but it had purpose withing the meaning of the show, whether it be purposely trolling watchers into thinking Madoka was some slice-of-magical-life show or… revealing its own lyrics to be quite meaningful later on.
    And then the ending had importance, too–hence why they intentionally left it out until the third episode.

Then again, I look more into things with meaning. Guilty Crown has a beautiful opening song, but average (yet still kinda pretty) visuals. AnoHana’s ending was also really great and had some meaning, but it lacked much of a personal impact due to its slow nature…

But hey. To each his/her own. =3
    I honestly wouldn’t have remembered Level E had you not put it on this list. The entire series was funny, but I didn’t walk out of it with anything significantly new…

27. kuld says:

I’m surprised Penguindrum and T&B didn’t make the list…

28. CJay says:

I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned [C]! The OP is really amazing with great visuals and an amazing song! The ending is also really good too.

29. Mushyrulez says:

In terms of perfectly portraying what a show is about, I think both of Nichijou’s OP wins out – the frenetic action mixed with moments of soothing calmness, just to be propelled into chaos once more.

What did you think of it? Many people here are mentioning it, so what are your thoughts on some of the others that didn’t make your list?

30. Firechick says:

Sorry, but I absolutely HATED No. 6’s OP and Gosick’s second ED. I thought their singing voices made my ears bleed!

Customize
There's a post about it somewhere I think
Also Mr anon, from what I've seen he's suffered from anime burnout and/or real life getting the better of him, so he doesn't have time for the blog (I think).
So I'm rewatching some random show called Seven of Seven and I must say, the old-school tropes are quite refreshing to the current day ones. Like a current day romcom but old school-style (no overused tropes, less cute girls, simple characters and plot), quite a rare novelty that I'd say is worth checking out if you're bored.
ayy, might I ask about what happened to psgels? been gone for far too long.
Yeah I really can't see that.
Naruto, for insight into major philosphical question and demi god reincarnation.
Also featuring moon ninjas.
*insight* *major philosophical questions* *??????*
I can understand that. Before the conclusion the main cast was pretty linear and repetetive character developement wise - the main focus was shounen action for the majority of the series. The conclusion showed us that these characters are reincarnates of sons of a demi god. They build up that past world with such an insight to major philosphical questions but easily understandable & relatable.
People might disagree with this but I like how 91 Days plays out. Low-key but satisfied ending.
@Badesh, Forgive me if I am rather skeptical on that statement.
reaLjustified
Well when the series is two decades old how is it an accomplishment? There are one shots that make me feel more emotionally attached to the story.
Badesh
Hell, Naruto final arc turned out to be one of the most holistic storytelling i've encountered in a while. The character developement ties in so nicely with the whole universe. It's a great accomplishement growing a pop anime into a mature mystic saga. i highly reccomend it even for newcomers. just watch past great ninja war.
*last two
I'll leave it to someone else to pick the last one.
Might add trouble every day by Claire Denis and Livid by Julien Maury.
Thanks for that. So now its under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator, haute tension, nekromantik, the tunnel.
Ah I had forgotten, I'd meant to see Haute tension.
Of those I haven't seen nekromantik or dead things.
That's all I can think for now. I'm sure K-off and others will have more inspiring suggestions down the line
For pychological edge: Haute Tension, Lake Mungo, Three... Extremes (actually the 3 shorts are all interesting), The Tunnel 2011 (underaprreciate Aussie found-footage)
For sick minds, Man Bites Dog, a Serbian film, Der Tolesking, Human Centipede (1&2)
Alright, for pure horror pleasures: Necromantik (1987), Green Inferno, Dead/Alive (my childhood's nightmare), Children Shouldn't Play woth Dead Things (more like a guity pleasure)
Haha scary indeed
@Mario: The scariest thing about the haunting was that a remake of it exists that betrays the original.
Now, let me check my own horror list for more reccomendation
Hahaha! Possession predates urotsukidouji =P in terms of the tentacle monster thing.
And I heard that the Haunting (1963) is good as well. Some david lynch movies (Lost Highway for example) could be claasified as horror too
Shame he passed away early this year. But he did say that the violent relationship in that movie was based on his own divorce.
@Mario: I think Polish directed films are apparently rooted in theater. Though I believe he is a Dadaist.
@Mario: Apparently Possession and diabal, all of his works are full of hidden political messages.
@Mario: That director is genuinely off-the wall insane, silver globe and l'amour braque actually make that look sane.
Possession the movie that Isabelle Adjani stared in? God, that movie exhausted me
Innocents was so much better than its remake the others, the atmosphere was a lot lot stronger too, black and white really adds to the mood too.
ha! I loved those.
This year I'm looking for silly horror movies predominently.
Let scare Jessica to death; the innocents 1961, Kill List, goodnight Mommy
My alltime favourite horror film is Possession.
No fuck it, no sequels. Currently it stands at under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator.
Too lazy to check out which horror movies that you've watched, but sure I can reccomend you some, from shitty to pure camp.
Actually wait, under the shadow is out next week so that means I only need 5 more.
Or maybe a 12 days is more feasible, easier. So that brings it down to six more. Guilty pleasures accepted.
Any room for shitty horror in that list?
I have to do a 30 days of halloween list soon. Want to limit it to horror films I haven't seen. So far I have the return of the living dead trilogy , dagon, from beyond and the re-animator.
I also recently watched stranger things. I felt it did right by its 80s throw back, straight down to the references, score, costumes. Pretty cool monster too and the younger actors I thought were mostly good. Kind of slightly reminded me of the goonies to a small extent. I think it succeeded in being fairly heartfelt. Although I did find it a bit padded.
About the new season, I'm more interested in how these dark horse titles will turn out: Flip-flappers, ClassicalLoid, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Yuri on Ice
@Aidan: I had Stranger Things on my queue list for a while now, but don't plan to watch it anytime soon. Glad you enjoy it.
ReZero is the only show I finished in about 2 seasons. Hopefully the Working spinoff is up to par.
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs

mob-psycho-100-12-3

Mob Psycho 100 – 12

It is a remarkably cheap tactic to pull a fake death right before the climax but that aside this acted as a decent finale to Mob Psycho. Through it’s clear that a second season is needed as the story does set up for one and sadly I doubt this has as high a chance of […]

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373