Posted by psgels on 11 December 2011 with categories: Yearly Summaries

Compiling my top OPs and EDs of the year always is the most annoying part of writing up my yearly summaries, because this means that I have to listen to hordes of utterly horrid J-Pop songs in order to separate the cream of the crop. Still, having cringed for god knows how many times at some utterly terrible songs that eventually instantly made me turn for the off-button like some sort of reflex, I do want to highlight the series that do put in effort to create a memorable opening or ending. Whether it’s based on a simple well executed idea, or an ambitious project with a really interesting creative vision. I don’t care for OPs that just introduce the cast or hint un-subtly at random spoilers, or EDs that just contain a mellow ballad with a still image, I want to see something different or more. These too are great opportunities to showcase great animation.

So ere you have it, my top 23 of favorite OPs and EDs of the past year. Why such a random number as 23? Well… I miscounted. actually thought that I was making a top 20, but only found out too late that I had three entries too many for that.

#23: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – ED

Of course, there are a bunch of entries of Shaft on this list. Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko was very annoying and misleading, but I can’t deny: this ED looks just gorgeous. The fanservice may be annoying, but the themes of ufos fit in perfectly with the first episodes of the series. The song itself is also very well built up, and for that it’s good enough to close off this list.

#22: Ginama’ OP 1

This OP is on the list because of its energy. I’m a big fan of energetic OPs, and this one is really catering to that. The song kicks ass, while the visuals pretty much nailed both the serious and silly parts of this show.

#21: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – OP

The direction of this OP is pretty generic, if it wasn’t for the content material of combining cute animals with hideous and gory character designs, but the OP is just so damn catchy. It makes a few nice subtle jokes too.

#20: Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – OP

This OP. THAT VOICE! Seriously, this is by far the most squeaky OP of the entire season. But I can’t deny: it’s original and quite creative, and the animation in particular is really good and brings the characters to live with vivid and fluid animations. If only the actual series was a bit like this.

#19: Dororon – Enma-Kun – ED

I’ve been doing these lists for a couple of years now, and the OPs always end up outnumbering the EDs. For me, a good ED adds something to the series, whether it’s atmosphere, tension, or meaning. This was always a great and very tongue in cheek way to close off a show that’s this crazy. Especially the final scene that just hints at one giant drug trip fits it so well, but I also love that whenever something bizarre happened to one of the characters, those changes would also show up in this ED.

#18: Dragon Crisis – ED

I really have to say: this OP is pretty much the best thing of the entire Dragon Crisis series. Even more than with Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko, which still had its memorable moments. Both the song and video are well produced, it’s well sung, and it’s trying something different with its use of instruments. It really worked for me.

#17: Maria Holic – ED

I never bothered to watch Maria Holic Alive for more than an episode, so I didn’t encounter this ED until when I compiled this list. So with that in mind: what the hell was that? This thing is just crazy and I have to admit that it has some neat visual ideas. The vocalists are all terrible, though.

#16: Persona 4 The Animation – ED

This also is one of those EDs that just flows really naturally from out of the end of each episode. It’s simple, but I get what the visuals are trying to symbolize in the show’s context. The sound of both the OP (which didn’t make this list, by the way) and ED are both also very cool, which makes it quite enjoyable to watch every single time.

#15: Usagi Drop – OP

Before I started to compile this list, I really did not expect that this OP would make it in. The song’s style is just completely in the opposite direction of my tastes. And yet, as I started to look at it more closely, I realized what a good OP this is. Its visuals are very inspired, and give a great interpretation of a single father on top. The music meanwhile… sounds far less annoying than what I thought it was.

#14: Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – Hakkairoku-hen – ED

This one… I just had to include it. THIS is the reason that we just don’t see any females in Akagi or Kaiji. It’s clear that the creators intended this ED to be one giant troll, completely different from anything the series is about and ever will be about. But it was hilariously disturbing.

#13: Nurarihyon no Mago – Sennen Makyou – OP

Now this is one that haunts me whenever I watch it. I should note that this also is a genre that I normally dislike a lot: J-Rock too often is too cheesy for me. Here though, the singer manages to compose himself just enough to not let this cheese take over the show, and let the amazing art here do its job. Nurarihyon no Mago went though a significant budget upgrade for its second season, and that really shows here more than ever.

#12: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED

Secret Base “Kimi ga Kureta Mono” (Ano Hana ED) ~ Karaoke Lyrics from Garoo Studio on Vimeo.

Now this just is a huge chunk of emotion. The series was a roller coaster of emotions, and this ED was just absolutely wonderful in carrying over the melancholy at the climax of each episode. It’s powerfully sung and fits this show perfectly.

#11: X-Men OP

This is instrumental, but apart from that it just has everything: a kick-ass song, incredible visuals, gorgeous art. A lot of the Marvel series OPs and EDs are like this, and perfect to get the adrenaline going. I decided to represent them with the X-Men OP though, because it does hold a candle above the others with its visuals, plus I also feel that its track works the best of the bunch.

#10: Deadman Wonderland – OP

You can actually see that some of the same people who worked on this OP worked on the OP for Ergo Proxy. It may not look AS good, but the visual style still is incredibly slick and the animation really brings out the emotions. Deadman wonderland being about this crazy prison, it fully captures the mood, both in the images and the music itself.

#9: Gosick – ED2

The point where this ED appeared was also the point where Gosick finally got better. It really shows a wonderful portrayal of Victorique, doing much more than showing a bunch of images: it shows what an impact Kujou made on her life. And on top of that: that voice! This is really beautifully sung.

#8: Hyouge Mono – OP

This one is a gem, if only for the story behind it. For those of you who don’t know: originally Hyouge Mono had this laid-back OP song, sung by this laid back groove band. This went well and all, until one of its members got arrested, the band got disbanded, and Bee-Train suddenly lost all of the licensing rights. They had to come up with a solution fast, so they quickly recorded a random jazz piece in order to replace the song with. This jazz piece was fairly normal but pretty decent, and it lasted for a couple of weeks. After that, I can only imagine that they went “screw it, this is boring! we’re in this position now, so why shouldn’t we use this opportunity to experiment!?”. The result was a completely crazy soundtrack over the exact same footage. It was just surreal, to see the once so dignified Op be turned into this.. thing. I wish I could also show the graphics, but I unfortunately couldn’t such a version anywhere.

#7: Blood-C – OP

This is really everything I’m looking for in an OP: great, inspired visuals, excellent animation, and a terrific song that manages to make use of the fact that it’s only 90 seconds long. For once the singer tries to combine his Japanese with french, which is quite refreshing after having to sit through so many bloody OPs that throw random Engrish words in their lyrics.

#6: Un-Go – ED

There really is one ED that immediately stood above all of the other EDs this year. When I first watched it, I was convinced that this would end up as my favorite ED of the year. There’s just so much imagination put in the visuals. Every shot here kicks ass and is a great composition on its own. The song itself is mellow, yet inspired. Plus, it the way it alternates between male and female vocals: that’s also something you don’t often hear in EDs.

#5: Fractale – OP

I’m sorry. I just… I just love the idea behind this. The show is called Fractale, it’s about a computer system called the “Fractale”. So what do you show for an OP? A fractal, of course! It’s so brilliantly simple. Screw the idea that you need to line up all of the characters one by one for an OP, Ops are meant to be creative. On top of that, the song itself is just one of those J-Pop songs that my bias against the genre will gladly make an exception to. Great voice, great composition. All around a great OP that I could watch for many times after each other.

#4: No.6 – OP

I know that with this, Noitamina has dominated one fourth of this Top 20, but this is the last one, I swear. Even though the timeslot headed into a significantly different direction this year, it had a selection of wonderful OPs. The best one came from Number 6, though. It all fits: a great song, great animation, and a great message. It’s one of those rare EDs that actually manage to tell a story of their own about the two lead characters. It’s a perfect introduction for this series.

#3: Sacred Seven – OP

Yuki Kajiura delivers again with an amazing song here. On top of that, the visuals here were directed by Sayo Yamamoto, the director of Michiko to Hatchin, who I’m a big fan of. And indeed, the visuals here perfectly fit both the song and the series. In fact, she actually succeeded to nail the main characters of this series, and made them look exciting. And I still remain convinced that the main character has one of the best vehicles out there. So yes, what does Sunrise do?Halfway through the series they swap out this OP for a much more generic one, turn the song into the Ed and swap a generic still frame on it. Why Sunrise, why!??!

#2: Kamisama Dolls – OP

Yuki Kajiura is great, but this year her former partner at See-Saw did one-up her with an amazing song that trumps even Sacred Seven’s OP.. Her voice is just amazing and works incredibly well right next to the latin-esque tunes that you hardly ever get to hear in anime. The visual direction meanwhile has a very neat idea that’s really well worked out with just perfect transitions.

#1: Level E – OP

Now this is just one of those OPs where everything fits. First of all the song here is much closer to my usual taste in music than nearly all other OPs and EDs out there, and the singer especially manages to sing it with a lot of power. This is a series about science fiction, aliens and other space oddities and that gets perfectly portrayed in this OP. It’s action-packed, suspenseful, all of the images are freaky and imaginative. This definitely stands out as my favorite OP of 2011.

1. ChobitsChi says:

I am actually surprised that none of the OPs/EDs from Mawaru Penguindrum made it to this list… Did you maybe forget them?
    Imo, the 1st OP and the 3rd(?) ED were quite nice.

2. notintheface11 says:

What? No Penguindrum ED? I absolutely love taht one, it captures the feeling of the show perfectly. Also I love the Mirai Nikki OP, although that one’s probably too “typical” for psgels’ list. :-P

3. joojoobees says:

Nice collection of tunes. I’m really glad that Kamisama Dolls placed so high. I wasn’t impressed with the show itself, but the OP was very interesting, as you said, both for the unusual Latin feel to the music, and the very inspired visuals idea and direction.

Also interesting that LAMA managed to pull 1/5th of your top 10. Fanatasy is such a great song!

4. Ben says:

I thought Mirai Nikki’s OP would of at least made the top 10 but it’s not even on the list, oh well.

5. kero says:

I guess music will always be a personal thing.

I don’t know all the songs, but I’m surprised that no.6 OPrated higher the un-go EP. I can’t stand No 6’s song, the voice register is too high, whereas Un-go is fantastic.
    And like previous comments have said, pretty shocked that MPD didn’t feature at all! where as I randomly clicked a few of the ones you’ve put up and were not impressed.

So yeah, I think it must be a personal music taste thing.

• Taka says:

You do know that No. 6 OP and Un-go ED are by the same person, right?
      Just checking.

p.s. I liked Spell better than Fantasy as well. But psgels might have liked it more on visuals since Fantasy is pretty static.

• kero says:

Yes I do know! The voice stayed on the right side in fantasy, plus it’s a duet, and so half the time it was the guy singing. I liked his part more.

6. Taka says:

Awesome list a lot of songs I enjoyed a lot of this list, especially overlooked ones like Blood-C, Deadman Wonderland, and Hyouge Mono.
    Fractale probably gets my top vote as well. You should check out Azuma Hitomi’s single for Harinezumi. It has the OP/ED and, my favorite, the B-Side Onaji Yume. A great single.
    The new Gintama OP/ED combo is kickass as well.
    I’m surprised though that the first Gosick ED did nothing for you. I liked Lisa Komine’s work on Resuscitated Hope a bit better but then I wouldn’t get to see all the wonderful period clothes Victorique wears in the end. Toss up for me.
    I also quite dug Dantalian no Shoka’s OP/ED even though for the most part they made absolutely no sense in the context and tone of the show.
    Finally I quite enjoy the OPs of some of the currently airing shows like Guilty Crown, Ben-To, and Shana s3.

Also I had this song Pair by Meaw the ED of Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei stuck in my head FOREVER.

7. 7godeohs says:

I know it’s bad, but one of my favorites OPs came from episode 5 of Sacred Seven when gg trolled it and replaced OP with ‘Ridin’ Dirty’ It was unbelievable how well the lyrics in the song fit with the animation. The original techno OP just didn’t do it for me.

I agree that some of the new stuff is really great and I would have liked to see some represented here, but again music is a personal preferences and my tastes are not the authors tastes.

That being said, I’ll throw my preferences in here as well: I enjoyed the OP to Deadman Wonderland, Gosick (but not the 2nd ED at all), and Mirai Nikki. I liked the ED of Ano Hi Mita (a lot) and the ED/OP of Penguindrum. For some reason I like the OP of Guilty Crown even though I feel like I shouldn’t.

8. robersora says:

Lol, i’m asking the same question as ChobitsChi…
    No Opening nor an Ending of Mawaru Penguin Drum? You should have put one of the Openings for the participation of Yakushimaru in those alone! ;) Also, in my opinion, the visuals were very nice and reflected the style of the series; so I really don’t know why you didn’t vote one of those in. It also baffles me that you didn’t add the Opening to Mirai Nikki. It’s really nicely animated and the song is cool too…
    So please, explain :)

9. Kiarae says:

Yeah-ha, Level E! That was my first thought on “has to be in the top” when I saw the header! Definitely my favorite of the year as well.

It’s nice to see that shows are experimenting more as well. Too much has been basing off of like the Shounen stereotype of J-pop w/action (or heck, just J-pop when it doesn’t fit) from years of old. I want to see more of the likes of Level E and Shiki in my openings – really drawing me in instead of “HEY LOOKIT!”.

10. Suzushina Yuriko says:

You probably didn’t put any Mawaru Penguindrum songs on there because all of them were taken down. At least, I hope that’s the case.

I am, however, surprised that you didn’t put GOSICK’s first ending. In my opinion, it’s better than the second ending and is incredibly beautiful in both visual and audio aspects.

I’m also a little surprised that you didn’t think fate/zero’s glorious ending was better than openings/endings with horrible singing. Seriously, they did a great job taking inspiration from real-life art of each of the servants and coupling them with a strong and melancholic song.

I can’t believe there are none of the school food punishment songs. For whatever reason you seem to just listen to them once and call them “bland” when they’re probably one of the most artistic and innovative J-pop bands out there. Pay close attention to their instrumentals and lyrics and compare them with mainly everything else on this list. C’s “RPG” got an “excellent” rating and an in-depth explanation about why it’s so good from the Anime Instrumentality Blog and I think you should probably go read it to see if it changes your mind about them. That ending was also very creative with its pixel motif.

As for No. 6’s opening…I liked the ending a lot better. The female singer’s voice just grated on me in that song.

Speaking of C, why isn’t their opening on there? Sure the song is slightly generic J-rock, but I thought the paper money motif was very creative.

Dantalian no Shoka’s opening was also incredibly beautiful. The song is a serious contender to Elfen Lied’s Lilium, and the visuals are gorgeously animated and choreographed to the song. No idea why that isn’t on there either.

Other songs that I think are missing are Mirai Nikki’s opening, Guilty Crown’s opening (the show is crap but the opening’s great), UN-GO’s opening, GOSICK’s opening, Madoka’s ending, Steins;Gate’s opening/ending, and Kamisama no Memochou’s opening.

I know I probably have no right to complain on a list of someone’s opinion, but I just thought that there were a lot of better openings and endings that deserved to be highlighted more.

11. imredjimmy says:

I have to agree with Level E opening! The animation and the song were perfect for the anime! I’m sad to see no Mawaru Penguindrum but oh well, music is a very personal thing. I’m glad that at least one song from No.6 made it and I knew Un Go’s ending would be featured in this top :)

12. Cholisose says:

#1 opening of the year (and perhaps EVER) for me has to be the second opening of Nichijou. That was soooooooo amazing and fun. And crazy. And EPIC.

And I’m in love with the second Gosick ending. It is such a beautiful song–the first time I heard it, I was nearly breathless.

Other special mentions:
    Mirai Nikki’s opening – Such haunting visuals, and crazy music! It’s so unique-sounding.
    Kamisama Doll’s ending – Everyone likes the OP, but the ED is what really impressed me. (I need to finish that show…)

13. Mormegil says:

Love that Kamisama Dolls OP. So stylish.

14. Alec says:

I guess this is all a matter of taste. I actually disklike half of the op/ed on your list

Lol. GG’s version of the Sacred 7 opening was 100x better compared to the original xD

My fav 10 would be.
    Mawaru Penguindrum 1st ED
    Un-Go ED
    Ano Hana OP
    Fractale OP
    Horou Musuko ED
    Kuragehime ED
    Usagi Drop OP
    Tiger & Bunny OP1
    Tiger & Bunny Op2
    Nichijou Op1
    Nichijoi Op2

Liked No.6 OP song, but after a week or two, it got too annoying for me. Maybe the crappy finish to the anime affected that.

15. Arisu says:

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED was unforgettable.

16. ender650 says:

Favorite OPs
    Hanasaku Iroha (both)
    Steins;Gate
    One Piece
    Tamayura: Hitotose
    Nichijou (both)

Favorite EDs
    Madoka
    Steins;Gate
    Tamayura: Hitotose

17. AKI says:

I wish you could compile a top thirty or sorts. Other ten notable omissions:

Coaltar of the Deepers – Dear Future (Mawaru Penguin Drum)
    Galileo Galilei – Aoi Shiori (Ano Hana)
    How Merry Marry – Boku ni Dekiru Koto (Natsume Yuujinchou San)
    JAMIL – The Rock City Boy (Fairy Tail)
    Amuro Namie – Fight Together (One Piece)
    Itou Kanako – Hacking to the Gate (Steins;Gate)
    School Food Punishment – RPG (C)
    Marina Fujiwara – Daydream Generation (Yumekuri Merry)
    The Pillows – Comic Sonic (Sket Dance)
    2PM – Take Off (Ao no Exorcist)

18. mezzoguitar says:

Well, that’s a fine list you’ve got there.

Here are a few ones I love that you didn’t include:

[C] ED – Wow. I understand that you didn’t like this ED, but it was awesome for me. The animation was a feast for the eyes; the song was bright, exciting, and brilliantly instrumented. This ED is one of the factors which helped me like this anime as much as I did, since it closed every episode on a high note. I couldn’t help grinning like a moron at the end of every episode because of this ED.

Nichijou OP1 – The animation is so freaking crazy, and the song is lovable and grows on you. It’s a pity that the majority of the anime couldn’t live up to its OP. The second OP for this anime is also good, but it has an inferior song so it doesn’t cut the cheese.

Mirai Nikki OP – I’m not even watching this show yet, but this is a grand OP with a deliciously dark flavor to it.

19. Kiseki says:

You dropped Inazuma GO long before things started moving…anyway, try check out OP 2. It has the energy Inazuma is known for (first OP is weakest out of all). And a lot of rainbows.

You should also check out Beelzebub ED 3. I doubt you’ll care for the song but the visuals are gorgeous.

Hell yeah Level E.

20. jreding says:

I would rate Denpa Onna or AnoHana OP #1. My #1 ED would be Usagi Drop ED for the still image of smiling Rin which changed every episode; the song and this image had quite a strong impact on me.

Also I also mention HanaIro OP for the animation quality and Ben-To OP for the action.

Oh, and I found myself strangely addicted both to the first OP and ED of Suite Precure because they are so catchy and optimistic. I dropped that show, however, after I realized that I watched it only for the OP/ ED!

21. Binayo says:

#23: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – ED
    I’m surprised this one made your list. I agree that it has stunning visuals, but I hate the song. I always ended up skipping it.
    #22: Ginama’ OP 1
    So much energy, so many things happening on screen! The opening doesn’t feel like 90 seconds at all.
    #21: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – OP
    This anime was just too weird for me, so I decided to skip this one. I’m sure I didn’t catch the jokes in this opening.
    #20: Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – OP
    When I first watched this opening I was like: my ears! Turn it off!! But somewhere along the way I actually started to like the song, eventually singing along with a voice just as terrible as the original ^^’
    #19: Dororon – Enma-Kun – ED
    Only saw a few episodes, but I like this ending :)
    #18: Dragon Crisis – ED
    Haven’t seen Dragon Crisis, but I agree that this ed looks nice.
    #17: Maria Holic – ED
    Due to time restraints I didn’t watch this sequel, but this is some crazy stuff.
    #16: Persona 4 The Animation – ED
    Nice song with very simple visuals, nothing special though.
    #15: Usagi Drop – OP
    Somehow the song was more fitting as ending song of the (live action) movie, but the visuals are really cute.
    #14: Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – Hakkairoku-hen – ED
    Everytime I see this thing I can only laugh. I love this!
    #13: Nurarihyon no Mago – Sennen Makyou – OP
    Dropped this right before the change of opening, but this is definitely better than the first opening! Maybe I should pick this up again. I have already watched this far, I can sit through another 13 episodes! I think…
    #12: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED
    I remember this ending being so awesome that my old computer couldn’t handle it! Had to settle for lower quality to watch it :(
    #11: X-Men OP
    That is one epic song! Skipped the anime though.
    #10: Deadman Wonderland – OP
    I love this opening! Good song, everything red, characters looking badass, what more to ask for?
    #9: Gosick – ED2
    Never thought I was going to say this, but I miss Gosick. I love Lisa Komine’s voice. But to be honest, I thought I’d be seeing the opening on your list. So many details and hints that only made sense after watching the anime, I thought it was wonderfully done.
    #8: Hyouge Mono – OP
    Still must get around to watching this. I love history, I love samurai, I love tea, I can understand Japanese… what the hell am I doing skipping this thing!?
    #7: Blood-C – OP
    Beautiful but simple, I like it!
    #6: Un-Go – ED
    I love this ending! Without doubt my favorite ending this year!
    #5: Fractale – OP
    I’m still convinced they are trying to brainwash me.
    #4: No.6 – OP
    Another lama song I really like, I must buy their album!
    #3: Sacred Seven – OP
    They see me rollin’, they hatin’… guess that’s what you get if you watched that version before the original.
    #2: Kamisama Dolls – OP
    Great song and great visuals. Loved the village vs the city collage.
    #1: Level E – OP
    I agree with this one being number 1! Too bad the ending didn’t make your list as well.

22. AzaKana says:

About AnoHana ED: It’s a remake from the all time hit from girls band ZONE. To be correct, we can say that the entire anime is a tribute to this song for the 10th anniversary of the band separation. In fact, this version includes “ten years after” in his title. There’s a special tribute album with various artists covers of ZONE hits, released for a one time reunification of the band this summer.
    So AnoHana fits this song perfectly, not the opposite :)

23. sheratan says:

I am bit surprised that Cras Numquam Scire [Dantalian no Shoka] was not included in the list.

24. Joe says:

Very nice! Quite a few series I still need to check out like Penguindrum and Usagi Drop but here is mine from what I saw this year…

10. No. 6 OP
    1. AnoHana ED

25. Hamlet says:

>X-Men OP
    >No Madoka Ending/Any Mawaru OP

Woot?

26. Juno says:

Personally, the biggest impact in OP/ED for me come from Madoka.
    I mean, the opening’s atmosphere was probably a bit too whimsical, but it had purpose withing the meaning of the show, whether it be purposely trolling watchers into thinking Madoka was some slice-of-magical-life show or… revealing its own lyrics to be quite meaningful later on.
    And then the ending had importance, too–hence why they intentionally left it out until the third episode.

Then again, I look more into things with meaning. Guilty Crown has a beautiful opening song, but average (yet still kinda pretty) visuals. AnoHana’s ending was also really great and had some meaning, but it lacked much of a personal impact due to its slow nature…

But hey. To each his/her own. =3
    I honestly wouldn’t have remembered Level E had you not put it on this list. The entire series was funny, but I didn’t walk out of it with anything significantly new…

27. kuld says:

I’m surprised Penguindrum and T&B didn’t make the list…

28. CJay says:

I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned [C]! The OP is really amazing with great visuals and an amazing song! The ending is also really good too.

29. Mushyrulez says:

In terms of perfectly portraying what a show is about, I think both of Nichijou’s OP wins out – the frenetic action mixed with moments of soothing calmness, just to be propelled into chaos once more.

What did you think of it? Many people here are mentioning it, so what are your thoughts on some of the others that didn’t make your list?

30. Firechick says:

Sorry, but I absolutely HATED No. 6’s OP and Gosick’s second ED. I thought their singing voices made my ears bleed!

@Masky, I believe I told you to watch Fate/Zero and apologize.
@AidanAK47 three days ago: Harsh words :D
I do echo the frustration though with shows you like not getting enough episodes. And then there are of course shows where I wonder, did they really need so many episodes/seasons.
You an always watch the old 160 episode ova of Legend of Galactic Heroes. Differences to date are minor
@Anon: Follow up films coming though.
Galactic Heroes, is starting to grow on me, is a shame, that's only 12 episodes so much potential being wasted. What happened to those times when long animes, could have at least 50 episodes ( Gundam Seed, Code Geass) and still be viable. feeling hopeless
@Mario: A female director you could also look into is Moufida Tlatli , especially silences of the palace.
@Mario: On golden kamuy, from reading on in the manga, there will be a big reveal regarding Asirpa soon. Also I feel the prisoner guys are becoming monster of the week.
@Mario: I'm glad to be reviewing stuff again on letterboxd.
@Mario: ....I...actually momentarily forgot about the PM system.
@Mario: Watch Bombshell, secrets of a hollywood star or calling hedy lamarr, Bombshell is a recent documentary about Lamarr.
@Mario: Von Triers new film looks darkly funny though to a degree and I love the self-indulgent first per3son narration.
@Mario: I have no idea how Stellan Skarsgard (who works alot with Von trier) produced Alexander Skarsgard, the latter is far too attractive to come from that. I feel the same about Asia Argento, I refuse to believe Dario could have produced such a fine creature.
@Mario: I'm rarely about morals or understanding as an importance when it comes to film, I care most about how it hits me on a visceral/emotional level, how daring it is in its imagination, visuals, madness , creativity.
@Kaiser: thanks, received it. God, Von Triers new film is entirely something else. Full-on provocation. And I already think his Nymphomaniac was too much
@Mario: Also I'm dying to see Von Trier and Chang-dongs new films, especially the priors.
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
That said, the key drama scenes were still great. Okabe's VA continues to make me happy. Im just not sure how much of this is nostalgia.
Steins;Gate is at its best in moments of character drama and character interaction. All of its value lies in its characters. Any action, with this muted style, is going to come off stiff and dull. A con of the art-style decision.
@Lenlo: I'm glad you said that, because I felt visually it looked stiff this week and that brief scene in the beginning wasn't much to look at. But Okabes meeting with Baldyguy-san and the cliffhanger and after credits bit were good scenes.
So yeah, this was probably the weakest week of Steins;Gate so far. Its pretty clear its not an action series and that its style doesnt suit itself well to combat scenes
... watching and reading many shounen titles (Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Bleach and the likes), shounen isn't my cup of tea at all
While I grow up
@Anon, I love Shounen. BnHA is one of my favorites every season its on. Doesnt mean I like Black Clover though
Thank you for that anon, when I watched the episode earlier I wasn't aware there was a post credits scene.
oh well, we still are early on in S;G 0 too. Plus, there seems to be a huge development at the end of the episode
idk, i can't help but feel that besides the amadeus plotline, everything else feels "fillery"
I must say though that I'm still waiting for it to get good, idk maybe my expectations are too high because the original was great after the first few episodes
Don't forget to watch end credits fo Steins Gate 0
I like some shonen. I just think that they are popular enough as not to be worth reviewing ihmo.
@Anon2140150 - I do. Though Shounen do have the issue of being derivative in certain aspects like power scales and several doing the FMA Brotherhood climax (of what I've watched). Also they're made to be endless. It can be intimidating jumping to one that has several seasons.
Does everyone here don't like shonen anime?
Really, if there is one piece of information (aside from otome maybe) that makes me ignore a series forever it's a LN about a LN author or illustrator. The selfinert wish fulfillment couldn't be more obvious.
Another LN greenlit for an anime production and the synopsis starts with "* is a light novel illustrator and..".
@KTravlos: I don't know why modern anime hate curly- and/or wild hair so much. The old hair style gave Reinhard a more royal look, whereas he looks like a normal highschool boy now. Not that I am complaining about the anime as a whole. Also, I like some of the new designs.
and a part of me things it is indeed the hair. It comes to low, giving Reinhard a slovenly, lazy feel. When Yang feels more energetic you know there was a mistake.
and yes, this Reinhard fares poorly in comparison to the OVA one. He is dull. I need more Yang :p
ai vay vay. The Castrop Rebellion remains waste of time. And this time it was worse. The older depiction was tacky but at least it showed Kircheis ability in a logical manner. This time I had no idea what the hell happened. It felt cheap.

The rest of the episode was ok. Not completely sold on all the renditions of imp. admirals though I still love the uniforms.
*those
Hearing these , I find myself much more tolerant of anime voice acting even if the dub might only be okay.
Its actually less of a sync issue, as I'm talking about 60s dubs , alot of people think the voices in old anime English dubs from the 90s are dated, but the old sixties kungfu and western dubs are shocking, far worse.
I don't mind sometimes satirical dubbing like on tiger lily , dialectics break bricks and kung pow however.
And those can be difficult to acquire sometimes in Italian or Chinese.
@Anon: Live action films, this is especially annoying sometimes because I love Spaghetti westerns and Chinese martial arts films and old Italian cop thrillers.
@Kaiser-Eoghan Are you referring to foreign animated films of foreign live action films because dubbing live action is a different beast as I'm sure you're aware. The idiosyncratic nature of watching moves and facial expressions not properly match voices really pulls the viewer out of the experience
SuperWooper
LoGH is airing a special next week because of scheduling delays, so that's one less thing to do.
Well to those whom it might concern, expect my posts to be later than usual this week. Work is hell at the moment.
I have to say, this is probably a bit hypocritical, but while I enjoy dubs of anime I really really can't stand dubs of foreign films.
Simo Hayha would make a pretty crazy Archer.
I imagine a fate strange fake adaptation will materialize eventually.
But everyone seems to want that Finnish sniper as a Fate servant .
Still no Mao, still mad.
....I have lost track of the historical characters in the fate lineup.
@Lenlo, to expand on that point the following historical figures are now female: Nero Claudius, Leonardo da Vinci, Frankenstein's Monster, Xuanzang, Jing Ke, Quetzalcoatl, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Miyamoto Musashi, Okita Souji and many more to come.
@Anon, I find it's an enjoyable watch though flawed. If you can get past some odd fanservice around the first ten episodes then I say it's worth watching.
So i was thinking if i start watching, darling in the franxx, is worth it? or is just another 6/10 anime?
God damnit. Why Nasu. Just why.
@Kaiser, that ain't even Lewd.
In all seriousness its ridiculous, the Japanese will make a cute/moe girl out of anything.
....Should I also mention that Francis Drake is a big boobed pirate queen?
@Aidan: Posting lewd images on a respectable chatbox.
@Lenlo, But none of these characters are in the anime adaptions. Well besides Jack and Saber.
Aidan, all this conversation did was prove that my decision to only ever watch the Ufotable adaptions was the correct decision.
@Lenlo, you can blame Extella for the Attlia the Hun thing. I wasn't too fond of it myself. Also should mention Attila is female as well.
Also Masky I will be the first to admit to the ridiculous aspects of the Fate Franchise but do take note that you are commenting on something you know literally nothing about. Which is the very definition of ignorance and is quite annoying. Fate/Zero nails the themes it's going for. So go watch Fate/Zero, come back and apologize.
@Masky, Give it time. Genghis is getting in there eventually with Grand Order. We just had Anastasia and Salieri introduced after all. And it's not as if this story introduces Servants willy nilly, they need actual story purpose. Genghis Khan wouldn't have fit the Narrative that Fate/Zero was going for.
Wait Attila is an Alien and Edison is a Lion? God damnit Fate. Why are you doing this to me. I was already annoyed at your treatment of Musashi
(aliens existing in the show is good example of that missing on themes part xP)
*most successful conqueror
Honestly was just amused most conqueror of all time not being featured in the show :D But wait, whats this about aliens?
Anyway the important thing to take into account is that in the Fate universe, King Arthur is a woman, Attila the Hun is an Alien, Thomas Edison is a lion and Jack the Ripper is a little girl in a dominatrix outfit. Any questions?
And while you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes, it does leave you ignorant of how that show handles those ideas and themes.
As for the Historical Alexander, he wasn't given the title of King of Couquerors. Fate/Zeros interpretation of him was. As generally accurate Fates interpretation of Servents history can be, they can make changes to suit the narrative.
In that Regard Alexander was doing the conquest thing before Ghengus did. Ghengus likely has some other title. Hell he may only have the title because public consciousness was is more familiar with Alexander than Ghengus.
Yeah, looking it up seems the King Title lost quite a lot of meaning in the Nasuverse. Though the King Title is rather flimsy. I mean Arthur is the King of Knights cause of the Knights of the round table. Gil is king of heroes because his tale was the first Heroic myth.
I think Alexander was just the first one they thought of, and they couldnt retroactively give it to someone else.

That said, Broskander deserves it <3
(And no, you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes of it.)
(just to note in case I need to note, I do tend to do at least cursory research when I make comments on stuff I don't watch)
That first part is semantics as Fate gives title "King" to historical figures who weren't kings already :D Also, you can make that argument about historical Alexander the Great? Since that seriously sounds like kind of weak reason.
Also sees Rider as deserving of title of "King of Conquerors" because that which he strives to conquer most is not lands or material wealth, but the hearts of people, the toughest conquest that can be undertaken by anyone.
@Masky, Ghengis Khan wasn't a king. He was a Khan.
Ghengis is always a Rider in my mind.
But in all seriousness, Ghengis would be an appropriate beserker servant.
@Masky: I know, it feels so wrong I'm still mad I can't summon Karl Marx or Stalin.
So wait, Fate series is about historical figures with super powers, but "King of Conquerors" title isn't given to Ghengis Khan? :D Seriously? Thats just so wrong
I don't feel any point in finishing it, it feels like something that I'd just randomly drop , not because its a bad show, but because I got my fill of it.
I am actually going to drop blogging it.
@Sash, indeed. I have been watching it but not blogging it for the last few episodes because it just hasn't givne me anything to say. I don't think it's a bad show but I have pointed out the flaws and strengths of it already so there is truly nothing more to say on it.
Sash
I think wotakoi is starting to feel repetitive..
You are now aware Shana and Batman Ninja Harelequinn are both voiced by Rie kugimiya.
I did. It was... It was a thing.
@Lenlo: Did you end up watching Batman ninja by the way?
Music is great, yeah. When the music is on point, everything goes up. Everytime the sync the fight/punches to the music I just get hyped. Like the rotating shot with Aragaki or the first fight in episode 1.
Ill do my best to be clearer in the future on that front. Yeah, I dont mind twists like this. Makes the inevitable Mikio fight, narratively, even better.
I feel the music does alot of the lifting.
Oh, so that was it.
Sorry if I never made that clear.
I would rather have fewer, amazing, fights than a lot of low-quality fights. This is a one cour show, the more meaning/impact they can give each fight the better.

Like Aragaki, narratively, was great. Loved it. Its just in animation/choreography that it falls flat.
Im disappointed with the animation of the fights. Narratively, I think they are quite good.
*disappointed with the fights in past episodes
@Lenlo: Pretty much what I said I thought of the episode. Although I was surprised how took the episodes ending, I expected you to see it as a slap in the face after being disappointed with the fights.
Also, @Kaiser, I thought Megalo Box did something unique this episode. I wasn't expecting Joe to *not* fight. And the Mikio/Yukiko proxy war is an interesting character motivation. Im betting Yukiko will get Joe a full citizenship, effectively getting her on his side.
I wish I was physically capable of watching Megalo Box without thinking of Hajime no Ippo. I really do. But everytime I watch it, it makes me want to watch Ippo again to.
Anonymous2120908
I watched some more of the Chimera family chinese anime. (Wasn't aware it was monthly released). And geez, I like the concept, the background art is very pretty and contrasts with settings that have become tired in other anime. Yet sadly the animation and script are WEAK. I haven't grasped the quality of what's expected of these types of production but I want to believe, they're trying.
Not much in the way of action in megalobox this week, but I did like the focus on Yukkiko getting a small character moment and then the big moment at episodes end .
@Anon, That's some lazy ass trolling buddy. Should have stopped before the hashtags.
I'm even sort of looking forward to supposedly less respectable stuff like Goblin slayer and happy sugar life.
Also E3 is almost here. And I can't wait. I think Nintendo will have a good show considering they're revealing the new Smash with a tournament. There's rumors of the new game by Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong) and maybe they'll reveal something about how Pokemon will be on the Switch.
Also there's always the chance of something new being discovered. Not everything needs expectations behind. Sometimes great things come out of nowhere.
So yes, there are some at least decent shows coming out.
@Anon: Muh Baki, Muh Bananna fish, muh made in abyss season 2, muh Vinland.
Anonymous2119906
The rest of this year looks like shit for anime and 2019 doesn't look great either #fuckmoe #makeanimegreatagain
Anonymous2119214
@Kaiser yeah it happened in half the amount of eps this time around for steins gate 0; which i expected considering there's a lot of ground to cover
Anonymous2119106
@Supermario Something like Fate or the LOTR films are a different case. I get where you're coming from about your preference, but I'm arguing that if a large story is going to be split into 3 films, it helps that the 3 films feel cleanly cut. Infinity war, even though we know there's a second part to the story, feels like it has that cohesive narrative structure with a beginning, middle, and end
Anonymous2119106
@Super Mario yea but the marvel movies are a different situation so i don't think the comparison is as appropriate. Marvel movies are "episodic" in nature rather than a continuous narrative. The films are largely isolated stories that are happening in a similar universe that only happen to "congeal" narratively because of a few overarching details shared between films.
@Lenlo: I remember when the original series suddenly shifted and got going and it was a really depressing episode.
Oh baby. The storm has finally come in Steins;Gate. Let the true suffering commence
@anon2118276: that's why I don't like LoTR trilogy. It's still a whole body chopped up in 3 parts, despite how clean the cut is. Whereas for me it works better if it was like a branch in a tree. The Marvel movies (despite my disinterest on those) are a good example of this.
While I did feel some of this weeks steins gate felt fillery, I do like see these characters interact and given the episodes conclusion, this episode acted as a calm before the storm.
Ill agree with you on King Kong. As for the Ralph Bakshi LotR, I have. I am still to this day impressed by the overlay of 2D art onto real/overexposed footage. It makes for shockingly fluid animation in places and has its own distinct style
@Lenlo - Have you watched the old Ralph Bakshi adaptation of the first two books? It's uneven, but it's interesting comparing and contrasting certain decisions. As good as Peter Jackson is, I feel he makes very longwinded films, I like his version of King Kong a lot, but it is too long.
@supermario i disagree; the point is that even though the LOTH films have cliffhanger endings, they still feel like fils. they have a defined first second and third act with well paced tension and release throughout them. They follow a storytelling macrostructure necessary for films to feel like cohesive narratives even if they are to end on a cliffhanger
I quite liked the individual LOTR movie just fyi
Marvel surprisingly has kept their movies simple enough, that while you might miss details nowadays, you can tell what's happening.
Another bad case is like with Assassin's Creed, which like Lost, just tried to tease a lot of things, then it grew tired of trying to piece them together and let the last games work more standalone, with little hints of a larger lore.
Metroid does both, it has a standalone story and a hint to what a sequel might bring. Though that hint rarely matters by the time the new game is released.
@SuperMario - Some videogames trilogies also do that. Gears of War and God of War had good standalone beginnings but by the second game they put cliffhanging endings. Kingdom Hearts does that and I expect 3 to also do it. Megaman Legends and Half Life had incomplete stories, which might be the worse case in regards to trying to make a continuous story.
It ruins the appetite
I actually think Lord of the Rings' trilogy is a bad example to follow. These films are meant to be viewed as a whole, so each film doesn't hold much as an individual story. I just can't digest films that have "to be continued" sign at the end. Imagine having a first course meal and then have to wait for few days for second course
On the current topic, I would be well for the production of a long running, ambitious ova series.
then again, i don't take too much issue with these films feeling like movie-sized eps...the wait just sucks is all
clearly the films need each other to tell the whole story, yet they can be taken for what they are in isolation as well
I don't mind the trilogy trend at all; like Aidan said, when everything is said and done, all the films will be available to watch. I just think a stronger attempt should be made to make them feel like complete films. Something like the lord of the rings trilogy is a great example of how to do this
I am in full confidence that neither I nor Miura will survive to the end of berserk.
Of course maybe they won't have a future , think about it that way, then they'd never see it, life has that weird way of being unpredictable like that =P
You can always rewatch them just before watching the one after.
Of course not. But that's the thing. The wait is only a temporary problem. Anyone in the future will have all movies ready to view.
So it's best to wait for another 2 years to watch Heaven's Feel? Hell NOT
When all the movies come out though you can basically barrel through it like a TV series.
Dangit, it's me Mario
I still don't know if I like this trilogy trend. We've had a fair bun h of those in recent years (Berserk Golden Age, Madoka, even Kizumonogatari). I guess doing it that way, they'd make much more profits, and we have higher production values, but the wait is way too long and I don't think it works as movie-format
One of the very rare times where self-awareness works.
I can be nice and say of course Ryan Reynolds+ violence, comic was funnier.
@Aidan: But I'm sure if you think it over, the first deadpool was trapped in origin story mode, as an advantage, the sequel, is probably free of that.
@Aidan: Deadpool 2 had John Wicks director, which at the least means something in terms of action direction.
@Aidan: There was a whole run of deadpool issues called Cable and deadpool, which I suppose that pairing together gets the best out of the character.
Seen Deadpool 2 tonight and I have difficultly deciding if it's better or worse than Deadpool 1. Still it's quite fun and I enjoyed it.
@Anon, I feel somewhat similar in regards to Franxx. When this series finishes I won't be singing high praises for it. Yet I do feel that it's worth watching.

Golden Kamuy – 07 [Complication]

This week ties up one plot thread that is Nihei and Tanigaki and their quest for hunting down the wise wolf and overall it does a decent job at that. Continuing from where the last episode left of, this final confrontation works for me because everyone has a moment to shine. Sugimoto proves that he […]

Hisone to Masotan – 06 [I’ll Shout Your Name]

At one point during this episode I almost felt that Hoshino was just too overboard. Being stubborn is one thing, but when you’re too stubborn you outright hurt others’ feeling without backing down, it’s irritating to watch. The issue with Hoshino, as we come to learn during the flashback, is that piloting an F2 has […]

Megalo Box – 7 [The Road to Death]

Hello everyone, and welcome to the most surprising episode of Megalo Box yet. This week we have family drama, Joe’s declining health and a shocker of an ending. Lets jump in! So starting from the top, lets talk about this ending. I never thought Megalo Box would pull something like this, with its limited number […]

Hinamatsuri – 07 [Anzu Is a Greeter Now]

At this halfway mark, I want point out that the comedy of Hinamatsuri isn’t as sharp as the first few episodes (except for the segment including Hitomi’s classmates). There’s still absurdist sense of humor, sure, but it doesn’t make me laugh out lout or even make me chuckle. That is to say I come to […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 7[The Capture of Iserlohn (Part 2)]

The majority of this episode was detailing the plan and execution of Yangs takeover of Iserlohn which does seem rather simplistic when you think about it. This is a point where LOGH shows its age a bit and while they tried to bump it up by throwing in a body scanner, there is still the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 6 [Eclipse of Orbital Ordering -The Orbital Eclipse-]

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Steins;Gate 0 has stomped the throttle and cut the breaks. Lets skip the intro and just get right to it. Early on I thought this episode was going to be slow, we were going to focus on our characters and relax a bit. I thought it would be drama […]

Golden Kamuy – 06 [Hunter’s Soul]

Well, (animal) shit. Golden Kamuy starts slow this week and ends with a bang. This episode presents many of Golden Kamuy’s ups and downs so it’s best to dissect them one by one. For the negative part, the pacing is still off. This episode spends too much time on Sugimoto and Asirpa hunting that poor […]

Hisone no Masotan – 05 [Do You Really Think That There’s Anybody Who Likes Being Disliked?]

There’s one thing you can count on original shows, you can never know for sure what the plot is going next. Sometimes, it surprises you with its sheer originality and sometimes, it could go to weird places. HisoMaso falls into the latter this week, literally where it’s taking us to an uninhabited island for the […]

Darling in the Franxx – 17[Eden]

Indeed Franxx appears to be doubling down on a darker more serious tone though I still am wondering if it will truly follow through on this or dismiss it fast and go full on happy ending. Personally I always feel cheated when a series foreshadows dark things to come only to turn tail when it’s […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]