Posted by psgels on 11 December 2011 with categories: Yearly Summaries

Compiling my top OPs and EDs of the year always is the most annoying part of writing up my yearly summaries, because this means that I have to listen to hordes of utterly horrid J-Pop songs in order to separate the cream of the crop. Still, having cringed for god knows how many times at some utterly terrible songs that eventually instantly made me turn for the off-button like some sort of reflex, I do want to highlight the series that do put in effort to create a memorable opening or ending. Whether it’s based on a simple well executed idea, or an ambitious project with a really interesting creative vision. I don’t care for OPs that just introduce the cast or hint un-subtly at random spoilers, or EDs that just contain a mellow ballad with a still image, I want to see something different or more. These too are great opportunities to showcase great animation.

So ere you have it, my top 23 of favorite OPs and EDs of the past year. Why such a random number as 23? Well… I miscounted. actually thought that I was making a top 20, but only found out too late that I had three entries too many for that.

#23: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – ED

Of course, there are a bunch of entries of Shaft on this list. Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko was very annoying and misleading, but I can’t deny: this ED looks just gorgeous. The fanservice may be annoying, but the themes of ufos fit in perfectly with the first episodes of the series. The song itself is also very well built up, and for that it’s good enough to close off this list.

#22: Ginama’ OP 1

This OP is on the list because of its energy. I’m a big fan of energetic OPs, and this one is really catering to that. The song kicks ass, while the visuals pretty much nailed both the serious and silly parts of this show.

#21: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – OP

The direction of this OP is pretty generic, if it wasn’t for the content material of combining cute animals with hideous and gory character designs, but the OP is just so damn catchy. It makes a few nice subtle jokes too.

#20: Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – OP

This OP. THAT VOICE! Seriously, this is by far the most squeaky OP of the entire season. But I can’t deny: it’s original and quite creative, and the animation in particular is really good and brings the characters to live with vivid and fluid animations. If only the actual series was a bit like this.

#19: Dororon – Enma-Kun – ED

I’ve been doing these lists for a couple of years now, and the OPs always end up outnumbering the EDs. For me, a good ED adds something to the series, whether it’s atmosphere, tension, or meaning. This was always a great and very tongue in cheek way to close off a show that’s this crazy. Especially the final scene that just hints at one giant drug trip fits it so well, but I also love that whenever something bizarre happened to one of the characters, those changes would also show up in this ED.

#18: Dragon Crisis – ED

I really have to say: this OP is pretty much the best thing of the entire Dragon Crisis series. Even more than with Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko, which still had its memorable moments. Both the song and video are well produced, it’s well sung, and it’s trying something different with its use of instruments. It really worked for me.

#17: Maria Holic – ED

I never bothered to watch Maria Holic Alive for more than an episode, so I didn’t encounter this ED until when I compiled this list. So with that in mind: what the hell was that? This thing is just crazy and I have to admit that it has some neat visual ideas. The vocalists are all terrible, though.

#16: Persona 4 The Animation – ED

This also is one of those EDs that just flows really naturally from out of the end of each episode. It’s simple, but I get what the visuals are trying to symbolize in the show’s context. The sound of both the OP (which didn’t make this list, by the way) and ED are both also very cool, which makes it quite enjoyable to watch every single time.

#15: Usagi Drop – OP

Before I started to compile this list, I really did not expect that this OP would make it in. The song’s style is just completely in the opposite direction of my tastes. And yet, as I started to look at it more closely, I realized what a good OP this is. Its visuals are very inspired, and give a great interpretation of a single father on top. The music meanwhile… sounds far less annoying than what I thought it was.

#14: Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – Hakkairoku-hen – ED

This one… I just had to include it. THIS is the reason that we just don’t see any females in Akagi or Kaiji. It’s clear that the creators intended this ED to be one giant troll, completely different from anything the series is about and ever will be about. But it was hilariously disturbing.

#13: Nurarihyon no Mago – Sennen Makyou – OP

Now this is one that haunts me whenever I watch it. I should note that this also is a genre that I normally dislike a lot: J-Rock too often is too cheesy for me. Here though, the singer manages to compose himself just enough to not let this cheese take over the show, and let the amazing art here do its job. Nurarihyon no Mago went though a significant budget upgrade for its second season, and that really shows here more than ever.

#12: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED

Secret Base “Kimi ga Kureta Mono” (Ano Hana ED) ~ Karaoke Lyrics from Garoo Studio on Vimeo.

Now this just is a huge chunk of emotion. The series was a roller coaster of emotions, and this ED was just absolutely wonderful in carrying over the melancholy at the climax of each episode. It’s powerfully sung and fits this show perfectly.

#11: X-Men OP

This is instrumental, but apart from that it just has everything: a kick-ass song, incredible visuals, gorgeous art. A lot of the Marvel series OPs and EDs are like this, and perfect to get the adrenaline going. I decided to represent them with the X-Men OP though, because it does hold a candle above the others with its visuals, plus I also feel that its track works the best of the bunch.

#10: Deadman Wonderland – OP

You can actually see that some of the same people who worked on this OP worked on the OP for Ergo Proxy. It may not look AS good, but the visual style still is incredibly slick and the animation really brings out the emotions. Deadman wonderland being about this crazy prison, it fully captures the mood, both in the images and the music itself.

#9: Gosick – ED2

The point where this ED appeared was also the point where Gosick finally got better. It really shows a wonderful portrayal of Victorique, doing much more than showing a bunch of images: it shows what an impact Kujou made on her life. And on top of that: that voice! This is really beautifully sung.

#8: Hyouge Mono – OP

This one is a gem, if only for the story behind it. For those of you who don’t know: originally Hyouge Mono had this laid-back OP song, sung by this laid back groove band. This went well and all, until one of its members got arrested, the band got disbanded, and Bee-Train suddenly lost all of the licensing rights. They had to come up with a solution fast, so they quickly recorded a random jazz piece in order to replace the song with. This jazz piece was fairly normal but pretty decent, and it lasted for a couple of weeks. After that, I can only imagine that they went “screw it, this is boring! we’re in this position now, so why shouldn’t we use this opportunity to experiment!?”. The result was a completely crazy soundtrack over the exact same footage. It was just surreal, to see the once so dignified Op be turned into this.. thing. I wish I could also show the graphics, but I unfortunately couldn’t such a version anywhere.

#7: Blood-C – OP

This is really everything I’m looking for in an OP: great, inspired visuals, excellent animation, and a terrific song that manages to make use of the fact that it’s only 90 seconds long. For once the singer tries to combine his Japanese with french, which is quite refreshing after having to sit through so many bloody OPs that throw random Engrish words in their lyrics.

#6: Un-Go – ED

There really is one ED that immediately stood above all of the other EDs this year. When I first watched it, I was convinced that this would end up as my favorite ED of the year. There’s just so much imagination put in the visuals. Every shot here kicks ass and is a great composition on its own. The song itself is mellow, yet inspired. Plus, it the way it alternates between male and female vocals: that’s also something you don’t often hear in EDs.

#5: Fractale – OP

I’m sorry. I just… I just love the idea behind this. The show is called Fractale, it’s about a computer system called the “Fractale”. So what do you show for an OP? A fractal, of course! It’s so brilliantly simple. Screw the idea that you need to line up all of the characters one by one for an OP, Ops are meant to be creative. On top of that, the song itself is just one of those J-Pop songs that my bias against the genre will gladly make an exception to. Great voice, great composition. All around a great OP that I could watch for many times after each other.

#4: No.6 – OP

I know that with this, Noitamina has dominated one fourth of this Top 20, but this is the last one, I swear. Even though the timeslot headed into a significantly different direction this year, it had a selection of wonderful OPs. The best one came from Number 6, though. It all fits: a great song, great animation, and a great message. It’s one of those rare EDs that actually manage to tell a story of their own about the two lead characters. It’s a perfect introduction for this series.

#3: Sacred Seven – OP

Yuki Kajiura delivers again with an amazing song here. On top of that, the visuals here were directed by Sayo Yamamoto, the director of Michiko to Hatchin, who I’m a big fan of. And indeed, the visuals here perfectly fit both the song and the series. In fact, she actually succeeded to nail the main characters of this series, and made them look exciting. And I still remain convinced that the main character has one of the best vehicles out there. So yes, what does Sunrise do?Halfway through the series they swap out this OP for a much more generic one, turn the song into the Ed and swap a generic still frame on it. Why Sunrise, why!??!

#2: Kamisama Dolls – OP

Yuki Kajiura is great, but this year her former partner at See-Saw did one-up her with an amazing song that trumps even Sacred Seven’s OP.. Her voice is just amazing and works incredibly well right next to the latin-esque tunes that you hardly ever get to hear in anime. The visual direction meanwhile has a very neat idea that’s really well worked out with just perfect transitions.

#1: Level E – OP

Now this is just one of those OPs where everything fits. First of all the song here is much closer to my usual taste in music than nearly all other OPs and EDs out there, and the singer especially manages to sing it with a lot of power. This is a series about science fiction, aliens and other space oddities and that gets perfectly portrayed in this OP. It’s action-packed, suspenseful, all of the images are freaky and imaginative. This definitely stands out as my favorite OP of 2011.

1. ChobitsChi says:

I am actually surprised that none of the OPs/EDs from Mawaru Penguindrum made it to this list… Did you maybe forget them?
    Imo, the 1st OP and the 3rd(?) ED were quite nice.

2. notintheface11 says:

What? No Penguindrum ED? I absolutely love taht one, it captures the feeling of the show perfectly. Also I love the Mirai Nikki OP, although that one’s probably too “typical” for psgels’ list. :-P

3. joojoobees says:

Nice collection of tunes. I’m really glad that Kamisama Dolls placed so high. I wasn’t impressed with the show itself, but the OP was very interesting, as you said, both for the unusual Latin feel to the music, and the very inspired visuals idea and direction.

Also interesting that LAMA managed to pull 1/5th of your top 10. Fanatasy is such a great song!

4. Ben says:

I thought Mirai Nikki’s OP would of at least made the top 10 but it’s not even on the list, oh well.

5. kero says:

I guess music will always be a personal thing.

I don’t know all the songs, but I’m surprised that no.6 OPrated higher the un-go EP. I can’t stand No 6’s song, the voice register is too high, whereas Un-go is fantastic.
    And like previous comments have said, pretty shocked that MPD didn’t feature at all! where as I randomly clicked a few of the ones you’ve put up and were not impressed.

So yeah, I think it must be a personal music taste thing.

• Taka says:

You do know that No. 6 OP and Un-go ED are by the same person, right?
      Just checking.

p.s. I liked Spell better than Fantasy as well. But psgels might have liked it more on visuals since Fantasy is pretty static.

• kero says:

Yes I do know! The voice stayed on the right side in fantasy, plus it’s a duet, and so half the time it was the guy singing. I liked his part more.

6. Taka says:

Awesome list a lot of songs I enjoyed a lot of this list, especially overlooked ones like Blood-C, Deadman Wonderland, and Hyouge Mono.
    Fractale probably gets my top vote as well. You should check out Azuma Hitomi’s single for Harinezumi. It has the OP/ED and, my favorite, the B-Side Onaji Yume. A great single.
    The new Gintama OP/ED combo is kickass as well.
    I’m surprised though that the first Gosick ED did nothing for you. I liked Lisa Komine’s work on Resuscitated Hope a bit better but then I wouldn’t get to see all the wonderful period clothes Victorique wears in the end. Toss up for me.
    I also quite dug Dantalian no Shoka’s OP/ED even though for the most part they made absolutely no sense in the context and tone of the show.
    Finally I quite enjoy the OPs of some of the currently airing shows like Guilty Crown, Ben-To, and Shana s3.

Also I had this song Pair by Meaw the ED of Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei stuck in my head FOREVER.

7. 7godeohs says:

I know it’s bad, but one of my favorites OPs came from episode 5 of Sacred Seven when gg trolled it and replaced OP with ‘Ridin’ Dirty’ It was unbelievable how well the lyrics in the song fit with the animation. The original techno OP just didn’t do it for me.

I agree that some of the new stuff is really great and I would have liked to see some represented here, but again music is a personal preferences and my tastes are not the authors tastes.

That being said, I’ll throw my preferences in here as well: I enjoyed the OP to Deadman Wonderland, Gosick (but not the 2nd ED at all), and Mirai Nikki. I liked the ED of Ano Hi Mita (a lot) and the ED/OP of Penguindrum. For some reason I like the OP of Guilty Crown even though I feel like I shouldn’t.

8. robersora says:

Lol, i’m asking the same question as ChobitsChi…
    No Opening nor an Ending of Mawaru Penguin Drum? You should have put one of the Openings for the participation of Yakushimaru in those alone! ;) Also, in my opinion, the visuals were very nice and reflected the style of the series; so I really don’t know why you didn’t vote one of those in. It also baffles me that you didn’t add the Opening to Mirai Nikki. It’s really nicely animated and the song is cool too…
    So please, explain :)

9. Kiarae says:

Yeah-ha, Level E! That was my first thought on “has to be in the top” when I saw the header! Definitely my favorite of the year as well.

It’s nice to see that shows are experimenting more as well. Too much has been basing off of like the Shounen stereotype of J-pop w/action (or heck, just J-pop when it doesn’t fit) from years of old. I want to see more of the likes of Level E and Shiki in my openings – really drawing me in instead of “HEY LOOKIT!”.

10. Suzushina Yuriko says:

You probably didn’t put any Mawaru Penguindrum songs on there because all of them were taken down. At least, I hope that’s the case.

I am, however, surprised that you didn’t put GOSICK’s first ending. In my opinion, it’s better than the second ending and is incredibly beautiful in both visual and audio aspects.

I’m also a little surprised that you didn’t think fate/zero’s glorious ending was better than openings/endings with horrible singing. Seriously, they did a great job taking inspiration from real-life art of each of the servants and coupling them with a strong and melancholic song.

I can’t believe there are none of the school food punishment songs. For whatever reason you seem to just listen to them once and call them “bland” when they’re probably one of the most artistic and innovative J-pop bands out there. Pay close attention to their instrumentals and lyrics and compare them with mainly everything else on this list. C’s “RPG” got an “excellent” rating and an in-depth explanation about why it’s so good from the Anime Instrumentality Blog and I think you should probably go read it to see if it changes your mind about them. That ending was also very creative with its pixel motif.

As for No. 6’s opening…I liked the ending a lot better. The female singer’s voice just grated on me in that song.

Speaking of C, why isn’t their opening on there? Sure the song is slightly generic J-rock, but I thought the paper money motif was very creative.

Dantalian no Shoka’s opening was also incredibly beautiful. The song is a serious contender to Elfen Lied’s Lilium, and the visuals are gorgeously animated and choreographed to the song. No idea why that isn’t on there either.

Other songs that I think are missing are Mirai Nikki’s opening, Guilty Crown’s opening (the show is crap but the opening’s great), UN-GO’s opening, GOSICK’s opening, Madoka’s ending, Steins;Gate’s opening/ending, and Kamisama no Memochou’s opening.

I know I probably have no right to complain on a list of someone’s opinion, but I just thought that there were a lot of better openings and endings that deserved to be highlighted more.

11. imredjimmy says:

I have to agree with Level E opening! The animation and the song were perfect for the anime! I’m sad to see no Mawaru Penguindrum but oh well, music is a very personal thing. I’m glad that at least one song from No.6 made it and I knew Un Go’s ending would be featured in this top :)

12. Cholisose says:

#1 opening of the year (and perhaps EVER) for me has to be the second opening of Nichijou. That was soooooooo amazing and fun. And crazy. And EPIC.

And I’m in love with the second Gosick ending. It is such a beautiful song–the first time I heard it, I was nearly breathless.

Other special mentions:
    Mirai Nikki’s opening – Such haunting visuals, and crazy music! It’s so unique-sounding.
    Kamisama Doll’s ending – Everyone likes the OP, but the ED is what really impressed me. (I need to finish that show…)

13. Mormegil says:

Love that Kamisama Dolls OP. So stylish.

14. Alec says:

I guess this is all a matter of taste. I actually disklike half of the op/ed on your list

Lol. GG’s version of the Sacred 7 opening was 100x better compared to the original xD

My fav 10 would be.
    Mawaru Penguindrum 1st ED
    Un-Go ED
    Ano Hana OP
    Fractale OP
    Horou Musuko ED
    Kuragehime ED
    Usagi Drop OP
    Tiger & Bunny OP1
    Tiger & Bunny Op2
    Nichijou Op1
    Nichijoi Op2

Liked No.6 OP song, but after a week or two, it got too annoying for me. Maybe the crappy finish to the anime affected that.

15. Arisu says:

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED was unforgettable.

16. ender650 says:

Favorite OPs
    Hanasaku Iroha (both)
    Steins;Gate
    One Piece
    Tamayura: Hitotose
    Nichijou (both)

Favorite EDs
    Madoka
    Steins;Gate
    Tamayura: Hitotose

17. AKI says:

I wish you could compile a top thirty or sorts. Other ten notable omissions:

Coaltar of the Deepers – Dear Future (Mawaru Penguin Drum)
    Galileo Galilei – Aoi Shiori (Ano Hana)
    How Merry Marry – Boku ni Dekiru Koto (Natsume Yuujinchou San)
    JAMIL – The Rock City Boy (Fairy Tail)
    Amuro Namie – Fight Together (One Piece)
    Itou Kanako – Hacking to the Gate (Steins;Gate)
    School Food Punishment – RPG (C)
    Marina Fujiwara – Daydream Generation (Yumekuri Merry)
    The Pillows – Comic Sonic (Sket Dance)
    2PM – Take Off (Ao no Exorcist)

18. mezzoguitar says:

Well, that’s a fine list you’ve got there.

Here are a few ones I love that you didn’t include:

[C] ED – Wow. I understand that you didn’t like this ED, but it was awesome for me. The animation was a feast for the eyes; the song was bright, exciting, and brilliantly instrumented. This ED is one of the factors which helped me like this anime as much as I did, since it closed every episode on a high note. I couldn’t help grinning like a moron at the end of every episode because of this ED.

Nichijou OP1 – The animation is so freaking crazy, and the song is lovable and grows on you. It’s a pity that the majority of the anime couldn’t live up to its OP. The second OP for this anime is also good, but it has an inferior song so it doesn’t cut the cheese.

Mirai Nikki OP – I’m not even watching this show yet, but this is a grand OP with a deliciously dark flavor to it.

19. Kiseki says:

You dropped Inazuma GO long before things started moving…anyway, try check out OP 2. It has the energy Inazuma is known for (first OP is weakest out of all). And a lot of rainbows.

You should also check out Beelzebub ED 3. I doubt you’ll care for the song but the visuals are gorgeous.

Hell yeah Level E.

20. jreding says:

I would rate Denpa Onna or AnoHana OP #1. My #1 ED would be Usagi Drop ED for the still image of smiling Rin which changed every episode; the song and this image had quite a strong impact on me.

Also I also mention HanaIro OP for the animation quality and Ben-To OP for the action.

Oh, and I found myself strangely addicted both to the first OP and ED of Suite Precure because they are so catchy and optimistic. I dropped that show, however, after I realized that I watched it only for the OP/ ED!

21. Binayo says:

#23: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – ED
    I’m surprised this one made your list. I agree that it has stunning visuals, but I hate the song. I always ended up skipping it.
    #22: Ginama’ OP 1
    So much energy, so many things happening on screen! The opening doesn’t feel like 90 seconds at all.
    #21: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – OP
    This anime was just too weird for me, so I decided to skip this one. I’m sure I didn’t catch the jokes in this opening.
    #20: Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – OP
    When I first watched this opening I was like: my ears! Turn it off!! But somewhere along the way I actually started to like the song, eventually singing along with a voice just as terrible as the original ^^’
    #19: Dororon – Enma-Kun – ED
    Only saw a few episodes, but I like this ending :)
    #18: Dragon Crisis – ED
    Haven’t seen Dragon Crisis, but I agree that this ed looks nice.
    #17: Maria Holic – ED
    Due to time restraints I didn’t watch this sequel, but this is some crazy stuff.
    #16: Persona 4 The Animation – ED
    Nice song with very simple visuals, nothing special though.
    #15: Usagi Drop – OP
    Somehow the song was more fitting as ending song of the (live action) movie, but the visuals are really cute.
    #14: Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – Hakkairoku-hen – ED
    Everytime I see this thing I can only laugh. I love this!
    #13: Nurarihyon no Mago – Sennen Makyou – OP
    Dropped this right before the change of opening, but this is definitely better than the first opening! Maybe I should pick this up again. I have already watched this far, I can sit through another 13 episodes! I think…
    #12: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED
    I remember this ending being so awesome that my old computer couldn’t handle it! Had to settle for lower quality to watch it :(
    #11: X-Men OP
    That is one epic song! Skipped the anime though.
    #10: Deadman Wonderland – OP
    I love this opening! Good song, everything red, characters looking badass, what more to ask for?
    #9: Gosick – ED2
    Never thought I was going to say this, but I miss Gosick. I love Lisa Komine’s voice. But to be honest, I thought I’d be seeing the opening on your list. So many details and hints that only made sense after watching the anime, I thought it was wonderfully done.
    #8: Hyouge Mono – OP
    Still must get around to watching this. I love history, I love samurai, I love tea, I can understand Japanese… what the hell am I doing skipping this thing!?
    #7: Blood-C – OP
    Beautiful but simple, I like it!
    #6: Un-Go – ED
    I love this ending! Without doubt my favorite ending this year!
    #5: Fractale – OP
    I’m still convinced they are trying to brainwash me.
    #4: No.6 – OP
    Another lama song I really like, I must buy their album!
    #3: Sacred Seven – OP
    They see me rollin’, they hatin’… guess that’s what you get if you watched that version before the original.
    #2: Kamisama Dolls – OP
    Great song and great visuals. Loved the village vs the city collage.
    #1: Level E – OP
    I agree with this one being number 1! Too bad the ending didn’t make your list as well.

22. AzaKana says:

About AnoHana ED: It’s a remake from the all time hit from girls band ZONE. To be correct, we can say that the entire anime is a tribute to this song for the 10th anniversary of the band separation. In fact, this version includes “ten years after” in his title. There’s a special tribute album with various artists covers of ZONE hits, released for a one time reunification of the band this summer.
    So AnoHana fits this song perfectly, not the opposite :)

23. sheratan says:

I am bit surprised that Cras Numquam Scire [Dantalian no Shoka] was not included in the list.

24. Joe says:

Very nice! Quite a few series I still need to check out like Penguindrum and Usagi Drop but here is mine from what I saw this year…

10. No. 6 OP
    1. AnoHana ED

25. Hamlet says:

>X-Men OP
    >No Madoka Ending/Any Mawaru OP

Woot?

26. Juno says:

Personally, the biggest impact in OP/ED for me come from Madoka.
    I mean, the opening’s atmosphere was probably a bit too whimsical, but it had purpose withing the meaning of the show, whether it be purposely trolling watchers into thinking Madoka was some slice-of-magical-life show or… revealing its own lyrics to be quite meaningful later on.
    And then the ending had importance, too–hence why they intentionally left it out until the third episode.

Then again, I look more into things with meaning. Guilty Crown has a beautiful opening song, but average (yet still kinda pretty) visuals. AnoHana’s ending was also really great and had some meaning, but it lacked much of a personal impact due to its slow nature…

But hey. To each his/her own. =3
    I honestly wouldn’t have remembered Level E had you not put it on this list. The entire series was funny, but I didn’t walk out of it with anything significantly new…

27. kuld says:

I’m surprised Penguindrum and T&B didn’t make the list…

28. CJay says:

I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned [C]! The OP is really amazing with great visuals and an amazing song! The ending is also really good too.

29. Mushyrulez says:

In terms of perfectly portraying what a show is about, I think both of Nichijou’s OP wins out – the frenetic action mixed with moments of soothing calmness, just to be propelled into chaos once more.

What did you think of it? Many people here are mentioning it, so what are your thoughts on some of the others that didn’t make your list?

30. Firechick says:

Sorry, but I absolutely HATED No. 6’s OP and Gosick’s second ED. I thought their singing voices made my ears bleed!

Customize
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that
Anyone here listen to Dire Straits? I just in the mood for their music lately. Checked out the band playing Telegraph Road live the other day on youtube and I was completely stunned.
@Lenlo: I considered Flip Flappers 3,5,6 to be its best so far so continue on to see if Flip Flappers is your cup of tea or not
For me I have a lot of stuffs to catch up on this time a year, both in terms of anime and in my RL. Time goes fast as hell
Started watching Flip Flappers. Thought I had it figured out, then we got Mad Max going on. I may start liking it more, cause the first 2 eps didnt do much
Its also nearing Thanksgiving in the states and end of semester for University, so those sorts will be busier than usual.
You are far too young to be reminiscing. You can build a place for a community but you can't force one to come. I for one would think it would be easier to form one if people stopped using the Anon tag. You can change your name with the customize button you know.
I remember a time when people other than site admins were regular posters. Those were the days...
But I suppose watching Westworld isn't exactly a waste of time.
Downside is that I really don't have a lot of time these days. It's rather annoying. The day goes by and it doesn't really feel like you did anything.
On the upside, I am nearly finished Legend of the galactic heroes. So when the Remake airs next year I will have a lot to say about it.
Personally I have been rather busy lately and wanted to finish off a few things. Hence why my posts have been getting later.
Anyway when there's nothing on the chat box to talk about then of course it dries up.
You have unfortunate timing.
All the chat regulars have left house as well.
Four days since a single post.
Damn, I don't know if it's the layout/algorithm/mods, but so many subreddits that I used to frequent have gotten watered down as hell. Between the influx of shills and changes to the upvote/downvote system (which doesn't properly convey controversial comments anymore, like 45 upvotes to 47 downvotes. Now it shows only a -2) it's hard to find reasonable debates or find important info
@K-off: and for that book the last time I checked it was $110 for you guys who live US plus free shipping. For us it's $150 not incluing the postage and few weeks delivery.
Damn, I didn't realize that it could be that bad elsewhere. The worst experience I had was when I ordered a laser pointer from Switzerland over a forum, and the cunt didn't respond for nearly 4 weeks until I threatened to refund my $250 on PayPal.
@Mario, Europe. That's the difference.
@Aidan: yeah I got a dispatch notice saying it's shipping now. I ordered it back in September as well so I don't know why the difference between us.
I remember the days where I used to be relying on waiting for anime dvds to come out locally , looking back they were really overpriced, 35 euro for 4 or 5 episodes.
My opinion on FMA alchemist ended up being all over the place because I must have watched 3 episodes every few months of it, then I stopped watching it for a year, got back into it for a few months, abandoned it for months then marathoned 20 episodes in one night to get it finished.

Flip Flappers 09

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

occulticnine-08-4

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Flip Flappers 08c

Flip Flappers – 08 [Pure Breaker]

Yay, I’ve reached 100th post here at this site, and if you can probably tell from my still-clumsy writing this is also my first 100 blogging ever. This isn’t much to be completely frank but it’s a milestone for me nonetheless, as there had been a fair amount of commitment for the last 8 months […]

vlSound Eupho 2 - 08

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 08 [Rhapsody in Flu]

This week, the show delivers one of my favorite Eupho moments: as Kumiko and Reina quietly listen to the Euphonium CD, enjoying that little moments when the music is playing with drama or conflict yet to come. This little moment and the firework sequence back in the first episode are Sound Eupho at their best. […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-08-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 08[Sudden Event In Session!]

Blessed be the peacemaker, for she ups the body count. I don’t think it’s a surprise that Winterprison ended up dying while protecting Nana. But it is surprising that she managed to take down one of the twin angels before getting taken out. All the more surprising considering that the angels didn’t get a flashback […]

drifters-07-2

Drifters – 07[Chaos Diver]

Considering this is the first clash the Drifters had with the ends things went rather smoothly. They managed to take one down and send the other one packing. This really is what Drifters is best act, balls to the wall action and insanity. Admittedly I wish the animation is better as it does rely on […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373