Posted by psgels on 11 December 2011 with categories: Yearly Summaries

Compiling my top OPs and EDs of the year always is the most annoying part of writing up my yearly summaries, because this means that I have to listen to hordes of utterly horrid J-Pop songs in order to separate the cream of the crop. Still, having cringed for god knows how many times at some utterly terrible songs that eventually instantly made me turn for the off-button like some sort of reflex, I do want to highlight the series that do put in effort to create a memorable opening or ending. Whether it’s based on a simple well executed idea, or an ambitious project with a really interesting creative vision. I don’t care for OPs that just introduce the cast or hint un-subtly at random spoilers, or EDs that just contain a mellow ballad with a still image, I want to see something different or more. These too are great opportunities to showcase great animation.

So ere you have it, my top 23 of favorite OPs and EDs of the past year. Why such a random number as 23? Well… I miscounted. actually thought that I was making a top 20, but only found out too late that I had three entries too many for that.

#23: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – ED

Of course, there are a bunch of entries of Shaft on this list. Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko was very annoying and misleading, but I can’t deny: this ED looks just gorgeous. The fanservice may be annoying, but the themes of ufos fit in perfectly with the first episodes of the series. The song itself is also very well built up, and for that it’s good enough to close off this list.

#22: Ginama’ OP 1

This OP is on the list because of its energy. I’m a big fan of energetic OPs, and this one is really catering to that. The song kicks ass, while the visuals pretty much nailed both the serious and silly parts of this show.

#21: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – OP

The direction of this OP is pretty generic, if it wasn’t for the content material of combining cute animals with hideous and gory character designs, but the OP is just so damn catchy. It makes a few nice subtle jokes too.

#20: Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – OP

This OP. THAT VOICE! Seriously, this is by far the most squeaky OP of the entire season. But I can’t deny: it’s original and quite creative, and the animation in particular is really good and brings the characters to live with vivid and fluid animations. If only the actual series was a bit like this.

#19: Dororon – Enma-Kun – ED

I’ve been doing these lists for a couple of years now, and the OPs always end up outnumbering the EDs. For me, a good ED adds something to the series, whether it’s atmosphere, tension, or meaning. This was always a great and very tongue in cheek way to close off a show that’s this crazy. Especially the final scene that just hints at one giant drug trip fits it so well, but I also love that whenever something bizarre happened to one of the characters, those changes would also show up in this ED.

#18: Dragon Crisis – ED

I really have to say: this OP is pretty much the best thing of the entire Dragon Crisis series. Even more than with Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko, which still had its memorable moments. Both the song and video are well produced, it’s well sung, and it’s trying something different with its use of instruments. It really worked for me.

#17: Maria Holic – ED

I never bothered to watch Maria Holic Alive for more than an episode, so I didn’t encounter this ED until when I compiled this list. So with that in mind: what the hell was that? This thing is just crazy and I have to admit that it has some neat visual ideas. The vocalists are all terrible, though.

#16: Persona 4 The Animation – ED

This also is one of those EDs that just flows really naturally from out of the end of each episode. It’s simple, but I get what the visuals are trying to symbolize in the show’s context. The sound of both the OP (which didn’t make this list, by the way) and ED are both also very cool, which makes it quite enjoyable to watch every single time.

#15: Usagi Drop – OP

Before I started to compile this list, I really did not expect that this OP would make it in. The song’s style is just completely in the opposite direction of my tastes. And yet, as I started to look at it more closely, I realized what a good OP this is. Its visuals are very inspired, and give a great interpretation of a single father on top. The music meanwhile… sounds far less annoying than what I thought it was.

#14: Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – Hakkairoku-hen – ED

This one… I just had to include it. THIS is the reason that we just don’t see any females in Akagi or Kaiji. It’s clear that the creators intended this ED to be one giant troll, completely different from anything the series is about and ever will be about. But it was hilariously disturbing.

#13: Nurarihyon no Mago – Sennen Makyou – OP

Now this is one that haunts me whenever I watch it. I should note that this also is a genre that I normally dislike a lot: J-Rock too often is too cheesy for me. Here though, the singer manages to compose himself just enough to not let this cheese take over the show, and let the amazing art here do its job. Nurarihyon no Mago went though a significant budget upgrade for its second season, and that really shows here more than ever.

#12: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED

Secret Base “Kimi ga Kureta Mono” (Ano Hana ED) ~ Karaoke Lyrics from Garoo Studio on Vimeo.

Now this just is a huge chunk of emotion. The series was a roller coaster of emotions, and this ED was just absolutely wonderful in carrying over the melancholy at the climax of each episode. It’s powerfully sung and fits this show perfectly.

#11: X-Men OP

This is instrumental, but apart from that it just has everything: a kick-ass song, incredible visuals, gorgeous art. A lot of the Marvel series OPs and EDs are like this, and perfect to get the adrenaline going. I decided to represent them with the X-Men OP though, because it does hold a candle above the others with its visuals, plus I also feel that its track works the best of the bunch.

#10: Deadman Wonderland – OP

You can actually see that some of the same people who worked on this OP worked on the OP for Ergo Proxy. It may not look AS good, but the visual style still is incredibly slick and the animation really brings out the emotions. Deadman wonderland being about this crazy prison, it fully captures the mood, both in the images and the music itself.

#9: Gosick – ED2

The point where this ED appeared was also the point where Gosick finally got better. It really shows a wonderful portrayal of Victorique, doing much more than showing a bunch of images: it shows what an impact Kujou made on her life. And on top of that: that voice! This is really beautifully sung.

#8: Hyouge Mono – OP

This one is a gem, if only for the story behind it. For those of you who don’t know: originally Hyouge Mono had this laid-back OP song, sung by this laid back groove band. This went well and all, until one of its members got arrested, the band got disbanded, and Bee-Train suddenly lost all of the licensing rights. They had to come up with a solution fast, so they quickly recorded a random jazz piece in order to replace the song with. This jazz piece was fairly normal but pretty decent, and it lasted for a couple of weeks. After that, I can only imagine that they went “screw it, this is boring! we’re in this position now, so why shouldn’t we use this opportunity to experiment!?”. The result was a completely crazy soundtrack over the exact same footage. It was just surreal, to see the once so dignified Op be turned into this.. thing. I wish I could also show the graphics, but I unfortunately couldn’t such a version anywhere.

#7: Blood-C – OP

This is really everything I’m looking for in an OP: great, inspired visuals, excellent animation, and a terrific song that manages to make use of the fact that it’s only 90 seconds long. For once the singer tries to combine his Japanese with french, which is quite refreshing after having to sit through so many bloody OPs that throw random Engrish words in their lyrics.

#6: Un-Go – ED

There really is one ED that immediately stood above all of the other EDs this year. When I first watched it, I was convinced that this would end up as my favorite ED of the year. There’s just so much imagination put in the visuals. Every shot here kicks ass and is a great composition on its own. The song itself is mellow, yet inspired. Plus, it the way it alternates between male and female vocals: that’s also something you don’t often hear in EDs.

#5: Fractale – OP

I’m sorry. I just… I just love the idea behind this. The show is called Fractale, it’s about a computer system called the “Fractale”. So what do you show for an OP? A fractal, of course! It’s so brilliantly simple. Screw the idea that you need to line up all of the characters one by one for an OP, Ops are meant to be creative. On top of that, the song itself is just one of those J-Pop songs that my bias against the genre will gladly make an exception to. Great voice, great composition. All around a great OP that I could watch for many times after each other.

#4: No.6 – OP

I know that with this, Noitamina has dominated one fourth of this Top 20, but this is the last one, I swear. Even though the timeslot headed into a significantly different direction this year, it had a selection of wonderful OPs. The best one came from Number 6, though. It all fits: a great song, great animation, and a great message. It’s one of those rare EDs that actually manage to tell a story of their own about the two lead characters. It’s a perfect introduction for this series.

#3: Sacred Seven – OP

Yuki Kajiura delivers again with an amazing song here. On top of that, the visuals here were directed by Sayo Yamamoto, the director of Michiko to Hatchin, who I’m a big fan of. And indeed, the visuals here perfectly fit both the song and the series. In fact, she actually succeeded to nail the main characters of this series, and made them look exciting. And I still remain convinced that the main character has one of the best vehicles out there. So yes, what does Sunrise do?Halfway through the series they swap out this OP for a much more generic one, turn the song into the Ed and swap a generic still frame on it. Why Sunrise, why!??!

#2: Kamisama Dolls – OP

Yuki Kajiura is great, but this year her former partner at See-Saw did one-up her with an amazing song that trumps even Sacred Seven’s OP.. Her voice is just amazing and works incredibly well right next to the latin-esque tunes that you hardly ever get to hear in anime. The visual direction meanwhile has a very neat idea that’s really well worked out with just perfect transitions.

#1: Level E – OP

Now this is just one of those OPs where everything fits. First of all the song here is much closer to my usual taste in music than nearly all other OPs and EDs out there, and the singer especially manages to sing it with a lot of power. This is a series about science fiction, aliens and other space oddities and that gets perfectly portrayed in this OP. It’s action-packed, suspenseful, all of the images are freaky and imaginative. This definitely stands out as my favorite OP of 2011.

1. ChobitsChi says:

I am actually surprised that none of the OPs/EDs from Mawaru Penguindrum made it to this list… Did you maybe forget them?
    Imo, the 1st OP and the 3rd(?) ED were quite nice.

2. notintheface11 says:

What? No Penguindrum ED? I absolutely love taht one, it captures the feeling of the show perfectly. Also I love the Mirai Nikki OP, although that one’s probably too “typical” for psgels’ list. :-P

3. joojoobees says:

Nice collection of tunes. I’m really glad that Kamisama Dolls placed so high. I wasn’t impressed with the show itself, but the OP was very interesting, as you said, both for the unusual Latin feel to the music, and the very inspired visuals idea and direction.

Also interesting that LAMA managed to pull 1/5th of your top 10. Fanatasy is such a great song!

4. Ben says:

I thought Mirai Nikki’s OP would of at least made the top 10 but it’s not even on the list, oh well.

5. kero says:

I guess music will always be a personal thing.

I don’t know all the songs, but I’m surprised that no.6 OPrated higher the un-go EP. I can’t stand No 6’s song, the voice register is too high, whereas Un-go is fantastic.
    And like previous comments have said, pretty shocked that MPD didn’t feature at all! where as I randomly clicked a few of the ones you’ve put up and were not impressed.

So yeah, I think it must be a personal music taste thing.

• Taka says:

You do know that No. 6 OP and Un-go ED are by the same person, right?
      Just checking.

p.s. I liked Spell better than Fantasy as well. But psgels might have liked it more on visuals since Fantasy is pretty static.

• kero says:

Yes I do know! The voice stayed on the right side in fantasy, plus it’s a duet, and so half the time it was the guy singing. I liked his part more.

6. Taka says:

Awesome list a lot of songs I enjoyed a lot of this list, especially overlooked ones like Blood-C, Deadman Wonderland, and Hyouge Mono.
    Fractale probably gets my top vote as well. You should check out Azuma Hitomi’s single for Harinezumi. It has the OP/ED and, my favorite, the B-Side Onaji Yume. A great single.
    The new Gintama OP/ED combo is kickass as well.
    I’m surprised though that the first Gosick ED did nothing for you. I liked Lisa Komine’s work on Resuscitated Hope a bit better but then I wouldn’t get to see all the wonderful period clothes Victorique wears in the end. Toss up for me.
    I also quite dug Dantalian no Shoka’s OP/ED even though for the most part they made absolutely no sense in the context and tone of the show.
    Finally I quite enjoy the OPs of some of the currently airing shows like Guilty Crown, Ben-To, and Shana s3.

Also I had this song Pair by Meaw the ED of Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei stuck in my head FOREVER.

7. 7godeohs says:

I know it’s bad, but one of my favorites OPs came from episode 5 of Sacred Seven when gg trolled it and replaced OP with ‘Ridin’ Dirty’ It was unbelievable how well the lyrics in the song fit with the animation. The original techno OP just didn’t do it for me.

I agree that some of the new stuff is really great and I would have liked to see some represented here, but again music is a personal preferences and my tastes are not the authors tastes.

That being said, I’ll throw my preferences in here as well: I enjoyed the OP to Deadman Wonderland, Gosick (but not the 2nd ED at all), and Mirai Nikki. I liked the ED of Ano Hi Mita (a lot) and the ED/OP of Penguindrum. For some reason I like the OP of Guilty Crown even though I feel like I shouldn’t.

8. robersora says:

Lol, i’m asking the same question as ChobitsChi…
    No Opening nor an Ending of Mawaru Penguin Drum? You should have put one of the Openings for the participation of Yakushimaru in those alone! ;) Also, in my opinion, the visuals were very nice and reflected the style of the series; so I really don’t know why you didn’t vote one of those in. It also baffles me that you didn’t add the Opening to Mirai Nikki. It’s really nicely animated and the song is cool too…
    So please, explain :)

9. Kiarae says:

Yeah-ha, Level E! That was my first thought on “has to be in the top” when I saw the header! Definitely my favorite of the year as well.

It’s nice to see that shows are experimenting more as well. Too much has been basing off of like the Shounen stereotype of J-pop w/action (or heck, just J-pop when it doesn’t fit) from years of old. I want to see more of the likes of Level E and Shiki in my openings – really drawing me in instead of “HEY LOOKIT!”.

10. Suzushina Yuriko says:

You probably didn’t put any Mawaru Penguindrum songs on there because all of them were taken down. At least, I hope that’s the case.

I am, however, surprised that you didn’t put GOSICK’s first ending. In my opinion, it’s better than the second ending and is incredibly beautiful in both visual and audio aspects.

I’m also a little surprised that you didn’t think fate/zero’s glorious ending was better than openings/endings with horrible singing. Seriously, they did a great job taking inspiration from real-life art of each of the servants and coupling them with a strong and melancholic song.

I can’t believe there are none of the school food punishment songs. For whatever reason you seem to just listen to them once and call them “bland” when they’re probably one of the most artistic and innovative J-pop bands out there. Pay close attention to their instrumentals and lyrics and compare them with mainly everything else on this list. C’s “RPG” got an “excellent” rating and an in-depth explanation about why it’s so good from the Anime Instrumentality Blog and I think you should probably go read it to see if it changes your mind about them. That ending was also very creative with its pixel motif.

As for No. 6’s opening…I liked the ending a lot better. The female singer’s voice just grated on me in that song.

Speaking of C, why isn’t their opening on there? Sure the song is slightly generic J-rock, but I thought the paper money motif was very creative.

Dantalian no Shoka’s opening was also incredibly beautiful. The song is a serious contender to Elfen Lied’s Lilium, and the visuals are gorgeously animated and choreographed to the song. No idea why that isn’t on there either.

Other songs that I think are missing are Mirai Nikki’s opening, Guilty Crown’s opening (the show is crap but the opening’s great), UN-GO’s opening, GOSICK’s opening, Madoka’s ending, Steins;Gate’s opening/ending, and Kamisama no Memochou’s opening.

I know I probably have no right to complain on a list of someone’s opinion, but I just thought that there were a lot of better openings and endings that deserved to be highlighted more.

11. imredjimmy says:

I have to agree with Level E opening! The animation and the song were perfect for the anime! I’m sad to see no Mawaru Penguindrum but oh well, music is a very personal thing. I’m glad that at least one song from No.6 made it and I knew Un Go’s ending would be featured in this top :)

12. Cholisose says:

#1 opening of the year (and perhaps EVER) for me has to be the second opening of Nichijou. That was soooooooo amazing and fun. And crazy. And EPIC.

And I’m in love with the second Gosick ending. It is such a beautiful song–the first time I heard it, I was nearly breathless.

Other special mentions:
    Mirai Nikki’s opening – Such haunting visuals, and crazy music! It’s so unique-sounding.
    Kamisama Doll’s ending – Everyone likes the OP, but the ED is what really impressed me. (I need to finish that show…)

13. Mormegil says:

Love that Kamisama Dolls OP. So stylish.

14. Alec says:

I guess this is all a matter of taste. I actually disklike half of the op/ed on your list

Lol. GG’s version of the Sacred 7 opening was 100x better compared to the original xD

My fav 10 would be.
    Mawaru Penguindrum 1st ED
    Un-Go ED
    Ano Hana OP
    Fractale OP
    Horou Musuko ED
    Kuragehime ED
    Usagi Drop OP
    Tiger & Bunny OP1
    Tiger & Bunny Op2
    Nichijou Op1
    Nichijoi Op2

Liked No.6 OP song, but after a week or two, it got too annoying for me. Maybe the crappy finish to the anime affected that.

15. Arisu says:

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED was unforgettable.

16. ender650 says:

Favorite OPs
    Hanasaku Iroha (both)
    Steins;Gate
    One Piece
    Tamayura: Hitotose
    Nichijou (both)

Favorite EDs
    Madoka
    Steins;Gate
    Tamayura: Hitotose

17. AKI says:

I wish you could compile a top thirty or sorts. Other ten notable omissions:

Coaltar of the Deepers – Dear Future (Mawaru Penguin Drum)
    Galileo Galilei – Aoi Shiori (Ano Hana)
    How Merry Marry – Boku ni Dekiru Koto (Natsume Yuujinchou San)
    JAMIL – The Rock City Boy (Fairy Tail)
    Amuro Namie – Fight Together (One Piece)
    Itou Kanako – Hacking to the Gate (Steins;Gate)
    School Food Punishment – RPG (C)
    Marina Fujiwara – Daydream Generation (Yumekuri Merry)
    The Pillows – Comic Sonic (Sket Dance)
    2PM – Take Off (Ao no Exorcist)

18. mezzoguitar says:

Well, that’s a fine list you’ve got there.

Here are a few ones I love that you didn’t include:

[C] ED – Wow. I understand that you didn’t like this ED, but it was awesome for me. The animation was a feast for the eyes; the song was bright, exciting, and brilliantly instrumented. This ED is one of the factors which helped me like this anime as much as I did, since it closed every episode on a high note. I couldn’t help grinning like a moron at the end of every episode because of this ED.

Nichijou OP1 – The animation is so freaking crazy, and the song is lovable and grows on you. It’s a pity that the majority of the anime couldn’t live up to its OP. The second OP for this anime is also good, but it has an inferior song so it doesn’t cut the cheese.

Mirai Nikki OP – I’m not even watching this show yet, but this is a grand OP with a deliciously dark flavor to it.

19. Kiseki says:

You dropped Inazuma GO long before things started moving…anyway, try check out OP 2. It has the energy Inazuma is known for (first OP is weakest out of all). And a lot of rainbows.

You should also check out Beelzebub ED 3. I doubt you’ll care for the song but the visuals are gorgeous.

Hell yeah Level E.

20. jreding says:

I would rate Denpa Onna or AnoHana OP #1. My #1 ED would be Usagi Drop ED for the still image of smiling Rin which changed every episode; the song and this image had quite a strong impact on me.

Also I also mention HanaIro OP for the animation quality and Ben-To OP for the action.

Oh, and I found myself strangely addicted both to the first OP and ED of Suite Precure because they are so catchy and optimistic. I dropped that show, however, after I realized that I watched it only for the OP/ ED!

21. Binayo says:

#23: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – ED
    I’m surprised this one made your list. I agree that it has stunning visuals, but I hate the song. I always ended up skipping it.
    #22: Ginama’ OP 1
    So much energy, so many things happening on screen! The opening doesn’t feel like 90 seconds at all.
    #21: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San – OP
    This anime was just too weird for me, so I decided to skip this one. I’m sure I didn’t catch the jokes in this opening.
    #20: Denpa-Onna to Seishun Otoko – OP
    When I first watched this opening I was like: my ears! Turn it off!! But somewhere along the way I actually started to like the song, eventually singing along with a voice just as terrible as the original ^^’
    #19: Dororon – Enma-Kun – ED
    Only saw a few episodes, but I like this ending :)
    #18: Dragon Crisis – ED
    Haven’t seen Dragon Crisis, but I agree that this ed looks nice.
    #17: Maria Holic – ED
    Due to time restraints I didn’t watch this sequel, but this is some crazy stuff.
    #16: Persona 4 The Animation – ED
    Nice song with very simple visuals, nothing special though.
    #15: Usagi Drop – OP
    Somehow the song was more fitting as ending song of the (live action) movie, but the visuals are really cute.
    #14: Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji – Hakkairoku-hen – ED
    Everytime I see this thing I can only laugh. I love this!
    #13: Nurarihyon no Mago – Sennen Makyou – OP
    Dropped this right before the change of opening, but this is definitely better than the first opening! Maybe I should pick this up again. I have already watched this far, I can sit through another 13 episodes! I think…
    #12: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-Tachi wa Mada Shiranai – ED
    I remember this ending being so awesome that my old computer couldn’t handle it! Had to settle for lower quality to watch it :(
    #11: X-Men OP
    That is one epic song! Skipped the anime though.
    #10: Deadman Wonderland – OP
    I love this opening! Good song, everything red, characters looking badass, what more to ask for?
    #9: Gosick – ED2
    Never thought I was going to say this, but I miss Gosick. I love Lisa Komine’s voice. But to be honest, I thought I’d be seeing the opening on your list. So many details and hints that only made sense after watching the anime, I thought it was wonderfully done.
    #8: Hyouge Mono – OP
    Still must get around to watching this. I love history, I love samurai, I love tea, I can understand Japanese… what the hell am I doing skipping this thing!?
    #7: Blood-C – OP
    Beautiful but simple, I like it!
    #6: Un-Go – ED
    I love this ending! Without doubt my favorite ending this year!
    #5: Fractale – OP
    I’m still convinced they are trying to brainwash me.
    #4: No.6 – OP
    Another lama song I really like, I must buy their album!
    #3: Sacred Seven – OP
    They see me rollin’, they hatin’… guess that’s what you get if you watched that version before the original.
    #2: Kamisama Dolls – OP
    Great song and great visuals. Loved the village vs the city collage.
    #1: Level E – OP
    I agree with this one being number 1! Too bad the ending didn’t make your list as well.

22. AzaKana says:

About AnoHana ED: It’s a remake from the all time hit from girls band ZONE. To be correct, we can say that the entire anime is a tribute to this song for the 10th anniversary of the band separation. In fact, this version includes “ten years after” in his title. There’s a special tribute album with various artists covers of ZONE hits, released for a one time reunification of the band this summer.
    So AnoHana fits this song perfectly, not the opposite :)

23. sheratan says:

I am bit surprised that Cras Numquam Scire [Dantalian no Shoka] was not included in the list.

24. Joe says:

Very nice! Quite a few series I still need to check out like Penguindrum and Usagi Drop but here is mine from what I saw this year…

10. No. 6 OP
    1. AnoHana ED

25. Hamlet says:

>X-Men OP
    >No Madoka Ending/Any Mawaru OP

Woot?

26. Juno says:

Personally, the biggest impact in OP/ED for me come from Madoka.
    I mean, the opening’s atmosphere was probably a bit too whimsical, but it had purpose withing the meaning of the show, whether it be purposely trolling watchers into thinking Madoka was some slice-of-magical-life show or… revealing its own lyrics to be quite meaningful later on.
    And then the ending had importance, too–hence why they intentionally left it out until the third episode.

Then again, I look more into things with meaning. Guilty Crown has a beautiful opening song, but average (yet still kinda pretty) visuals. AnoHana’s ending was also really great and had some meaning, but it lacked much of a personal impact due to its slow nature…

But hey. To each his/her own. =3
    I honestly wouldn’t have remembered Level E had you not put it on this list. The entire series was funny, but I didn’t walk out of it with anything significantly new…

27. kuld says:

I’m surprised Penguindrum and T&B didn’t make the list…

28. CJay says:

I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned [C]! The OP is really amazing with great visuals and an amazing song! The ending is also really good too.

29. Mushyrulez says:

In terms of perfectly portraying what a show is about, I think both of Nichijou’s OP wins out – the frenetic action mixed with moments of soothing calmness, just to be propelled into chaos once more.

What did you think of it? Many people here are mentioning it, so what are your thoughts on some of the others that didn’t make your list?

30. Firechick says:

Sorry, but I absolutely HATED No. 6’s OP and Gosick’s second ED. I thought their singing voices made my ears bleed!

@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?
And man Apocrypha is pretty good but it would be twice as good if it had those two changes Aidan always mentions in the reviews..
@Kaiser: I think the male in Kino was a mistake. Having two PoV sounds good, but he's basically just a male Kino, he even looks like her. Someone vastly different would have been way more interesting.
I'd guarantee that sangatsu no lion would be high up, but FINALLY this weekend I'll be catching up.
Niello
@Kaiser, Ugh my phone gitched. What I meant to say was that background was unexpected. Now I see why you're enjoying CotW though.
@Kaiser, That's unexpected.
I enjoyed how outright surreal Arakawa was.
@Amagi: It bothers me that they're stuffing multiple tales into single episodes.
Ah, excel saga, I wonder what I would think of it now, its been years.
@Amagi: I actually respect Aidan's coverage of it.
@Niello: Yes that edgy villain kid in COTWs was annoying though.
@Amagi: I don't care much for the male character that leads some of the episodes in this new adaptation.
@Niello: Its a non-mainstream shoujo that isn't set in a school, moves at a quick enough pace and has some nice background art/chara design, I grew up on shoujo fantasy manga also so theres that.
I mean there are parts I like. I enjoyed the first episode, and the part about the country of liars. But many other things annoy me and the last episode was the worst. I also feel like the edgy bomb loli and slapstick Kino don't fit to the rest of the show somehow. Maybe I forgot everything, but the "old" Kino felt like a better character to me somehow, this one is more faithful to the LNs though
@Kaiser: I honestly gave up on Kino and I think it's only partly the fault of the new series. I am just so tired of how stupid most of the episodic-characters are unless their are friends of Kino, how everyone gets bent being irredeemable evil for plot's sake and how everything Kino and her friends do gets justified. Maybe I am just too old or boring for this fairy tail like moral bending.
Still have Night is Short review to write... i will get there. I will get there
It's like having potty mouth characters. If you have one, it can be funny and a good comedic relief. If everyone does it, it can come out as mean spirited or trashy.
@Kaiser: I haven't watched A Bad Idea Gone Wrog, as for now my top priority is to catch up with 2017 anime for the Yearly summary. But I will get on to it when I have some free time
Amagi - Chibi stuff I've seen it mainly work in anime comedies with low budgets like Those Who Hunt Elves, Ranma, Excel Saga, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Nanbaka, etc. I think if you really have to use it in a more serious anime, I think it might work if it was part of one character's gag.
Children of the Whales, along with Juuni Taisen, keep falling out on me. Kino is pretty a hit-or-miss at the moment. I don't mind the last episode's multiple tales though
Niello
Problem about AMB chibi jokes are that they arwn't funny in the first place nor do they have a punch line.
Niello
@Eoghan, Really surprise you put Children of the Whales so high, I'm falling behind on some shows but it is still near the bottom of my list (the absolute bottom remains Kino).
The latest Kino episode was a real slap in the face/insult, really really thought that one segement would carry on for the whole episode and be a redemptive one/getting the series back on form but then it followed it up with crap comic relief segement.
@Lenlo: For now yes.
Droppin Mahou Kaiser?
I no longer care what Dia's gender is, no longer I will lie to myself and deem them female.
5. would be juuni taisen
My rankings for the season based on what I am following: 1. Houseki no kuni 2. Children of the whales 3. inuyashiki 4. girls last tour dropping mahou and Kino.
I don't remember Joseph being all that present from what little I read of the manga.
Fear so too. I mean it has a bunch of good ideas and good quality and such, but it feels like it won't be much more than the magical being of the week (or two weeks) and some Elias highjinks inbetween
I still say, I've got the feeling mahou will be wasted potential that won't really go anywhere much.
@Mario: Did you watch that indie film you recommended yet? Bad idea gone wrong it was called. I just finished it there, budgetary limitations and outside of Matt Jones the acting isn't great, theres a few limp/dead bits too, nonetheless it has its amusing moments here and there to make for an okay comedy that isn't all that essential but amusing enough in moments if your bored.
Yeah I think Mahou has some pacing issues. But I also think it would work way better if it was less episodic or semi-episodic.
I normally don't mind the chibi stuff that much but I agree in Mahoutsukai they break the tone and pacing. Serious at one time, fluffy at another...
@Vonter: I honestly never like chibi stuff I think. Didn't care back then but nowadays I consider it annoying. One reason is that jokes only work when they aren't pointed out but just happen, sometimes even so casually that you almost miss them. Turning everyone into a chibi for a joke makes it as fun as repeating, explaining or shouting it again (which many series also do)
I have to give it to Altair. It got me reading the manga. The episode this week did skip over a whole manga story, but to be frank it is not too much of a loss. Pacing issues still exist. One thing I noticed was a degrading in animation. They are probably hoarding for the next two episodes which are the major battle.
Just dropping my 2c here: Isn't it too late for the studio to correct such inherent design issue once eps start rolling out?
@Angel: The dub wasn't all that impressive in the first place however.
Angel
When Will fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub come out?
The chibi stuff sadly, is like watching someone make the same mistake over and over again, without acknowledging that thing isn't coming across well. At this point it seems like an intentional choice rather than just cutting corners. Kinda like when an anime has a decent dub but has that one character with a really annoying voice.
Its continued this willful ignorance, this virtual refusal, to actually address the issue. Thing about the chibi is, the first scene with Silver worked. Then it just got overused.
Mahoutsukai continues denying itself. We finally had some tough questions asked, but the show just ignored them in the 2nd half (with generous doses of chibi). That said Elias true form is terrifying.
@Kaiser: If you enjoy The Scent of the Green Papaya and Cyclo, you can also check out his unofficial third film about Vietnam: The Vertical Ray of the Sun, which is about the modern day of Hanoi. It's my favorite film of his, although I know that artistically it can't compare to his earlier films
And I can say the mafia aspect of Cyclo is more like Hong Kong than Vietnam. But, whatever. I like this one well enough
@Kaiser: I particularly love the score in Cyclo. No wonder later on Tran Anh Hung asked Joony Greenwood from Raidoohead to score his films. His score has the same uncomfortable feeling with this one
I would have watched an entire story based around that old man in the new Kinos journey episode.
@Mario: Though while I never found it boring, it did feel it could have had a better narrative.
@Mario: Cyclo I felt has some reasonable sketched characters and the aesthetic sells the viewer on the environment the characters are living in, Tony Leung was my favourite in it, I also like how some Asian films are able to mix quietness with moments of violence, makes it much more visceral.
SuperWooper
I'd lean towards weirdest thing you've ever seen. It's certainly up there for me.
...I can't figure out whether Sengoku Jidai with batman is weirdest thing I have ever seen or makes completely perfectly sense and was inevitable it would happen
The map design should've been vastly more different, I'd love to hear why they thought it was worth it to keep the same maps as Gaiden. So. Much. Open. Fields.
Finally got to playing Fire Emblem Shadow, and 15 hours in I'm already not a fan of the gameplay. The story is vastly superior to Gaiden, but it looks like it missed the point on how to make a good remake. The maps are just as god awful as in Gaiden and for it, (in hard mode) it feels like a game of numbers rather than strategy.
@Mario: I feel drama need not always go for emotions in the audiences but can be effective in a solely cold observational sense and approach.
haha you don't need to spy you know. Like I said Discord chat has been active lately. I find myself more comfortable chatting in there for some reasons.
I spy on the discord chat sometimes
Worried about this Junji itou adaptation thats coming up, hope it isn't one of those zero animation web-short series.
@Kaiser: he still has Flashmob in which he intended to make. Yeah, he started his career quite late but he has had a very successful career
@Mario: Potentially could be his last film, he is quite old.
Agree that Happy End has many quirkier moments compared to his other works. Still a solid work but I won't rank it amongst his best
@Kaiser: Watching Happy End, you can immediately realize many of Haneke's favorite themes: the voyeur/camera in Benny's Video, Cache; the latent racism like you mentioned, the idea that killing someone you love is better than watching them suffering, the underlying violence in a normal middle class life in most of his works
@Mario: Like with code unknown, its approach to latent rascism is far better handled than for example a terrible hollywood oscar bait drama would handle it.
@Mario: I felt though had the film been a bit longer, Huppert and Jones could have gotten more scenes, same with Franz Rogowski's character.
@Mario: I did however think that the disjointed nature of the earlier parts were both to the advantage and disadvantage of the film. But it delivers a killer of a last act that I loved.
@Mario: I finally got around to seeing happy end, I liked the Cache and amour references and how Haneke cheekily managed to insert quirkier moments and even wry ones so seemlessly into the narrative. Fontaine ,Kassovitz and Tringnent had the best scenes, particularly the ones between Fontaine and Tringnent.
@Mario: Physical, non-verbal communication is a far more valuable way of conveying information I believe and more effective in fiction.
Report on Just Because so far: they took on the three-way romance direction, which I initally ain't fond of. But last episode actually was great with the focus on body gestures and natural dialogues, delivering one of the brst exchange the show has this season. A good watch overall
Sadly, the only anime youll probably get like that will be made outside japan, like Castlevania was, and wouldnt be considered "anime" by most of the community. A shame, cause Castlevania was great.
A classic western would be cool. Like Red Dead the anime.
But I am just coming up with fantasizing now.
Even a Raymond Chandler style of story.
I'd also love to see a non-scifi western anime get made now or even an east meets west thing with cowboys AND samurai in it.
Thats a good example Vonter I guess but I probably should have been more clear/clarified that what I meant is that I wanted to see more noir anime being made NOW , I want netflix to back one . I mean the kind of thing where everyone is wearing fedoras and trench coats and its 1930/40/50, shadows everywhere or it looks impressionistic.
Kaiser-Eoghan - Monster is a very grounded detective like story. The villain is good and intimidating, some moral dilemmas are poignant and despite being animated I remember it having good direction of photography since the story takes place Germany, Prague, and some other places.
I've only seen bits of wolf rain many years ago, never bothered with it further after hearing the pacing is terrible and it makes an unsatisfactory ending even less worth waiting for.
Ah, but I mean without science fiction elements.
@Kaiser"I'd love to see an anime take of film noir."
What do you call Cowboy bebop?

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 21[Antares Snipe]

When Apocrypha slows down, it’s story shows it’s cracks. But when it’s an action showcase it actually becomes quite entertaining. The characters don’t have the time to be developed but they shine in combat when they clash, sometimes showing parts of themselves the series otherwise doesn’t allow for. Astolfo for one was actually useful for […]

Dies Irae – 08[Promise]

Netflix has funded thirty anime which will air in 2018 and this has brought concerns over whether Anime as a whole could be westernised in order to cater to an overseas demographic. I find the chances of this unlikely and the more likely result is a more diverse lineup of anime for both Japanese and […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 9 [None so deaf as those who will not hear]

Hello and welcome to another week of Mahoutsukai! Lets hop right into it. First and foremost, let’s talk about Chise. As the main heroine of the show, naturally it’s going to focus on her a lot. This week zooms in on her relationship with Elias and what it actually is. Characters and situations comment on […]

Juuni Taisen – 10 [A Tiger May Die, But It Leaves Its Skin]

Juuni Taisen again expands a huge flashback in the middle of the current story, but this one hits all the right notes because naturally its heart is in the right place. It’s episode like this that I am glad I’m still sticking with Juuni Taisen and regain my faith to the overall quality of this […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 09[Various Countries]

I will likely be spending most of this post talking about one segment of this episode as just as the title suggests, these are a series of stories involving different countries. But before I get into that I must truly question why these particular stories were chosen. I have stated before that I love Kino […]

Houseki no Kuni – 09 [Spring]

Houseki approaches summertime this episode and this week feels like a breather after the intensity from the last few weeks, by that I mean Phos didn’t get into any real trouble by the end of this week. Not to say this episode is anything less amazing compared to last several weeks. One of the factor […]

Inuyashiki – 8 [Mari Inuyashiki]

Hello and welcome to another week of Inuyashiki. We are approaching the end, with only 3 episodes left. The end-game has been revealed, Hiro returns to his roots and Inuyashiki gets found out by someone close to him. Lets jump in! To start off, Inuyashiki tipped its hand this week as to the ultimate ending. […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100