Posted by psgels on 23 December 2011 with categories: Mawaru Penguin Drum

The point where I realized what the Penguin Drum was came at the beginning of this episode, in which we saw the caged Shouma and Kanba, and Kanba found the apple in his cage. There, it all made sense: Kanba would share the apple, and they both probably would have died if that apple wasn’t there, making their lives even more fragile than Himari’s. At first I thought that those apples were a symbol for Ringo, but the way it kept being used in the second half just didn’t add up to that. It still remains interesting that at the beginning of the show, the penguin hat sent the brothers to Ringo of all people. But in any case, it remains very cruel what this implies: in order to save Himari, the lives of Shouma and Kanba were needed.

And it is as I hoped: this ending really is amazing. The story came together wonderfully. The characters reached their catharsis. It all fitted really well. It’s not like all questions were answered, but in this case I believe that this doesn’t matter much. This show answered enough things and the rest is just up to our imagination. There is more than enough room to fill in the blanks. This series relies really heavily on symbolism and the surreal to paint its story anyway. What this show is in essence is a character study. And on that, it really delivered.

Overall, this show just completely dominated as my favorite series for the past half year. It was one heck of a step above all other shows that aired. Now that it’s finished, can I say that I like it better than Utena? To that, I unfortunately have to say no: this series is amazing, but I still like Utena better. It just as more fresh, it had better character development, it could take more time to show off its cast. And even then, Penguin Drum still remains as one of the best two shows of the year. I’m not yet sure which one is the best, but I’ll get to that in my 2011 summary.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Perrin4869 says:

Complete mindfuck indeed

2. Rah says:

I liked! *o*

3. djrunn3r says:

Quite incredible.

4. hikari says:

OMG….the ending make me tearful…damn Ikuhara!! But, still a beautiful ending. I loved it^_^ This has been such a ride, just wonderful!!>_<

5. soppixo says:

On one hand there is this part of me going “YOU HAVEN’T ANSWERED ANYTHING DAMNIT IKUHARA” on the other hand this ep is pretty much Ikuhara telling me that questions are meaningless in the face of the message he wants to send. Beautiful ending but COME ON!!! This is just so excruciating!!!

• Pafiume says:

AH-GREED. Agreed. So many answers that’ll never be gotten.

I’ve enjoyed the series well enough to this episode, and I did enjoy the end of the episode, the epilogue (up until the walking into the stars). But before that it was a lot of me going “what the fuck is this” and laughing. Super overdramatic. Not necessarily bad. But. I’m not super happy with it. But it’s not my story. I’ll just have to move on because I know I’m not going to watch it again to try and figure shit out and make up what I don’t understand or isn’t answered. The lack of time spent on shit makes me angry though. I mean what was up with Mario? Maybe I will go watch Masako’s episode again. Or read someone explaining it.

6. Scorcher says:

Seriously WTF ending…
    Will have to watch at least 3 more times…

7. rufe says:

Wait….What? It was a pretty cute ending, but I’m confused as hell.

8. Stuff says:

One of the best shows ive seen in a while.

The ending is truly bittersweet. All the sibling wanted was to stay together, but I guess fate wont allow them to :/. At least everybody is happy and alive.

This show deserves a better score than anohana, just saying ;)

9. Stuff says:

well, I guess shouma and kanba arent quite alive?… but whatever.

Also, I didnt cry throughout the episode, but when himari found that note, damn, that got to me.

10. kurini says:

I don’t want an ending like this! Shouma and Kanba are now like separated from everyone. I wanted to see Ringo and Shouma marrying, having kids etc… I still don’t get many things, I don’t get what was metaphorized and what actuallt what happened… But this episode was beautiful! Still..ugh.

11. rufe says:

So…where did Shouma get the fruit that he gave to Himari? Is that the half of his penguindrum that vaporized?

Also, the person of destiny thing…does that get canceled out when they change destiny trains, or is it that Kanba and Shouma just ended up together? What about the Ringo and Himari aspect…

I didn’t realize it was allowed to transfer the payment for Momoka’s diary.

Is Momoka=Mario?

What happened to Himari and HHH’s history?

So…many…questions

12. kevin says:

What utter crap. Love you are all like “Not everything needs to be answered HUR HUR!!!”

Are you dumbasses? The entire series led to fucking nothing. What a pathetic pathetic man Ikuhara is.

• Keira says:

Dear Kevin, I wish to remain silent but your attitude pasts the level of irritating and becomes disgusting itself. The pathetic man is not Ikuhara. The pathetic man is you, mister, who acts like an atention whore and insults everyone that have a different opinion than you.

• Anon says:

I’m not saying that I agree with either of you (because I literally sit in the middle here – Penguindrum was good, but not as good as what people are saying), but the last statement in your post also applies to yourself. You are insulting someone who has a different opinion than you. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

• Renn says:

I’d agree, but Kevin did call half this board a bunch of dumbasses. Plus, he has a history on this site of ripping on PD fans. Personally think he’s a closet fan. :P

On topic, I liked (didn’t love) the finale. Wish it hadn’t been an Utena redux, but there was emotional closure.

• Keira says:

Well, I’m sorry for being impolite, but after all the trollish thing he’s done, I think he’s kinda deserve it.

• wendeego says:

Hey did anybody notice that in on a previous post, an Anon responded directly to somebody who dissed kevin by turning it directly back on that person?

i.e. post on episode 22, by Anon: “Kevin may have written the show off without as much as whiff of intellectual justification, but he was not the first one to throw around ad hominem in this thread. That distinction goes to you.”

The last thing I want to do is label a living, breathing human being a sock puppet, because that would be unconscionable. But I do think it’s a little suspicious that history is repeating itself here, unless a man/woman named Anon lurks around this blog and occasionally defends kevin from ad hominem attacks.

Anyway an enormous apology to Anon if I’m in the wrong, but in any case, kevin’s still doing a pretty good job here in trolling everybody. He’s still got it! So that’s nice.

• Alec says:

So Kevin…What brings you here?

• Machi says:

I love how you insult peoples intellect for liking this show without actually trying to piece together what the show had already resolved prior to this episode that DOES answer relevant questions.

Ringo: Lets face it for most part after Shouma saves her and Yuri points out her feelings for him her story has been pretty much resolved and has been relegated to simple emotional support to Himari as well as being a love interest to Shouma. This is especially obvious with her lack of screen time once she loses the diary.

Yuri & Tabuki: Pretty much resolved when Tabuki found the dead body of the parents and Yuri came looking for him. Its clear both no longer had any intentions to pursue what they initially schemed and would clearly start a real family.

Natsume: Well I don’t think I even need to explain that she’s had her resolution, as well as an apt background like all the other characters. So all plot points related to her are pretty much resolved.

Sanetoshi & Momoka: We figured they were both pulling the strings it was only a matter of how they were doing it, and we’ve had the previous episode as well as this one answer it. They’re not as important as the previous characters mentioned and they are supposed to be an enigma, clearly neither are human at this point. However, what I would like to add at least is that its clear now why Momoka & Sanetoshi approached the siblings, both using Himari as the prize so to speak, given that its only the siblings who could resume what the parents in the past had done since Momoka was only able to halt it to an extent. It’s clear that by this episode both sides had done their best to try and convince/manipulate the siblings to following their cause – either side would still have offered Himari a second chance but between the costs of many lives or just the two of them.

Finally, I would say that this episode resolves the whole Takakura siblings as a whole. They were definitely used by both sides but in the end they made their choice despite how sad it is. I don’t really see any non-relevant questions unanswered just secondary/minor ones like ‘What was Mario’s side like?’ or ‘What about Himari and the Double H?’ which I don’t think is really THAT necessary to answer since its more of a bonus more than anything.

• zo says:

I bet you’re one of those guys who watches dumb moe shows, stupid shows like Naruto and pseudo-philosophical shows that think they are extremely profound but in reality are just pretentious because they make you feel smarter.

13. Kim says:

The series wasn’t perfect but most of the important things were explained. It all comes back to Night on the Galactic Railroad. This was definitely the best ending of the year. I am definitely more than satisfied.

• manlyflower says:

Yeah I can’t believe I didnt notice it sooner, but when I saw the destination change to the scorpion’s fire, I was like, oh my god. And referencing Kenji at the end too.

• Puran says:

Can you explain what the scorpion’s fire symbolizes for those who haven’t read/watched Night on Galactic Railroad?

• akitoyo says:

Scorpion’s fire, from what I remember, is a little inserted story in Night on Galactic Railroad. It went something like this.

There was a scorpion that lived in a field. It ate many creatures in order to live, but when a ferret (i think it was a ferret…weasel? fox?) tries to eat it, the scorpion runs away in desperation and falls into a well. Inside the well, while he is drowning, the scorpion realizes that his life is going to end easily, and most importantly, meaninglessly. If he just had been eaten by the ferret, like how those creatures were eaten by scorpion, the ferret would live longer and his life would be part of the circle of life mean something. He then prays to god and asks god to use his body for the good others. The scorpion then realizes that his body begins to burn, and that fire is still burning in the skies to this day, lighting up the dark for others.

It went something like that. It’s a story about self sacrifice from what I can tell.

• manlyflower says:

Yeah, it’s kinda a story based on astronomical bodies, cause Kenji loved space, which also explains all of the pictures of space. His work provides a lot of symbolism not only for this work but a lot of other Japanese pieces of fiction. An interesting quote I found…

“Apples were a favorite food of author Miyazawa Kenji, and they appear in many of his works… To Kenji, apples were connected to his image of the universe. This was because the universe that includes our galaxy is also round like an apple. So when you hold an apple in your hand, you’re holding the entire universe in the palm of your hand.

“According to the author, the seeds of an apple were comparable to the worlds we live in from day to day. The fruit of the apple reflects the hugeness of the universe outside ourselves. Just like there’s a world outside the apple’s skin, the universe doesn’t end at its own edge either. Outside of our own universe, there’s something even bigger surrounding it. No doubt, there’s another dimension of a higher order expanding outside our universe, that can’t be contained by our three-dimensional rules.”

You guys should read his work, there is always symbolism to be found ;D

14. PL says:

Ugh, what the hell?
    What message?
    All I saw was a Downer ending.
    Are the siblings actually alive? could just be spirits for all i know.
    The ending would be a lot better if they answered more questions.
    It’s all so vague.
    So, so vague.
    Granted, the ending somewhat fits, but it feels incomplete.
    *sigh*
    Confusing from ep.5…

15. Engix says:

Really good episode in my opinion, but i feel like something about the ending was missing. I know that this is not your generic anime but i was really hoping for a happy ending.

It got to me when I learned that Natsume,Himari, and Ringo all forgot about Kanba and Shoma.
    Truthfully this episode let me mad,sad, and satisfed somehow satisfied.

Though it wasnt episode the series had, or ending any series has had, I still found this episode to be good like I said

16. Addictd says:

This episode…disappointing. No answers, and we’re never gonna get em.

17. Synkronized says:

To me the big issue in the series was how children get abandoned, looks at what happens to them, the consequences of their fate on others and finally what it takes to change “fate”.

Fate – The train metaphors show how people tend to be stuck on a specific path in life. And it actually takes a jarring event to shift them on a different track; a new path in life. The use of burning and apples represents the sacrifice often needed to jar someone out of the direction, the fate, they were headed.

As an adopted child I can relate to the notion of sacrifice expressed through Momoka the most, and others like Shouma. That most of the core cast needed to be saved at one point. That in order to actually be saved, people from the outside have to make a sacrifice. Not spontaneous combustion which could be an allusion to a financial or some other sacrifice. Like my parents who never had a biological child of their own and had to pay a lot of money to get me here. If they didn’t save me I would’ve been sent to the Child Grinder, which from my perspective just represents all the awful things that happens to societies abandoned children.

The characters in the story represent a shit tons of different sorts of kids abandoned by society.

Ringo – The child of an over worked single mother and a “franchise” father. While the dad technically never abandoned her, the new woman and child he was with alludes to how many dad’s will abandon one family that “doesn’t work out” and start an entirely new one, leaving the mother and child to suffer.

Yuri – Represents a victim of child abuse.

Teacher guy w/e his name is – Represents a kid who failed to live up to his parent’s lofty standards.

Shouma – His parent’s abandoned him for the sake of some ideal.

Himari – A straight up unwanted and abandoned child.

Kanba represented the resentment of doing anything to protect those close to him at whatever the cost to those on the outside. He also symbollized the resentment and bitterness that led to the insider vs outsider, us vs them, mentality through what happened to him and his family.

The terrorist allusions represent how people disgusted with this world often lash out at innocents because the perpetrators are much harder to single out and punish. The pink haired dude represents this as a curse or whatever. That nebulous anger and rage that has no outlet and eventually causes only more grief in the end.

Finally Ringo and Himari represent the woman, girl, female issue. That in this world, girls often get it the worst, since most people are more tolerable of keeping male children. The fact that Ringo and Himari were the ones that survived, strikes at this issue.

** I can’t believe I wrote this the day I finished my finals. I must have had a mental breakdown along the way haha.

• lialiakicks says:

Awesome observations! I really enjoyed reading your post. :)

• ZJ says:

Yeah I agree. What an amazing post!! I’m going to save this somewhere to refer to when I try and explain the purpose of this show to my friend. Wow

The ending def. left alot of unanswered questions, especially the whole Shoma meeting Kanba in a caged box. What parts of this episode (and show at large) were symbolism and what parts actually happened, now that’s something I’d like to know. LOL

But all in all dear God did I LOVE penguindrum to pieces. It just captivated me from that first episode and I’m happy to say that this is my absolute favorite non-shounen show ever. (As far as shounen go that award would have to go to One Piece followed by Fullmetal Alchemist).

A big thanks to the creators of Penguindrum! I sleep happy tonight =D

• larkspur says:

I think that Shoma and Kanba meeting in their boxes symbolized what happened between them when the Tatakuras first took Kanba in.

Shoma was trapped in a box. He was being raised in a cult, and if he were left alone there, he would have become brainwashed and dead inside. But then Kanba arrived. He too was stuck in the cult. The boys could have suffered alone, but instead they decided to truly accept one another as brothers, and share fates.

Since Shoma’s fate was always to be tied to the crimes of the Takakuras, that became Kanba’s fate as well, and he was sucked into the organization. But that wasn’t a sad thing! He was always fated to die. Because of everything that happened, he at least has his brother with him in the afterlife.

Since Kanba’s fate was to sacrifice himself for the one he loved, that became Shoma’s fate as well, and he ended up dying for Ringo. But that wasn’t a sad thing! Better to burn for love than to freeze in a cage.

18. chocobunny says:

Oh god. I have to say I was satisfied yet dissatisfied with the ending at the same time. It really broke my heart when I realized no one remembered Kanba and Shoma.

19. Scruffy says:

O god .. that was so beautiful and painful at the same time. I figured that 2 of the 4 siblings were going to ‘dissapear’ (I thought that there was going to be some form of merger) but that ending, with the way Shouma told Ringo that he loved her was heart wrenching. The worst thing is that she won’t even remember him, at least not clearly.

It does seem that Yuri and Tabuki remember the fate change so at least they have not been completely forgotten.

20. wendeego says:

The ending of this show was pretty much the ending that I didn’t want, the ending that I did want and the ending I didn’t even know I wanted, all at once.

I think I’m going to need a couple more days to parse that. Wow.

21. Snowolf says:

It was definitely a confusing ending- I need to go back and properly look at everything (I do in aspect, agree with thoughts here) but god, that was fucking devastating (emotionally). I won’t lie; it was definitely rushed, but considering that this show was much more thematically based than plot based, I don’t really have that many problems. Overall, I have to argue that MPD was perhaps the best show to come out this year despite this confusing ending and some little sloppy mistakes here and there; it’s been a wonderful ride, and I’m sorely going to miss waking up to a Penguindrum thursday. :(

22. Puran says:

So, umm, I have one theory about the apple that appeared in Kanba’s box and I would like some feedback.

Shoma didn’t have anyone who he cared for, so he chose Kanba. That’s why the apple appeared in Kanba’s box. Kanba afterwards returned half of the apple to Shoma. In short it was the moment they became friends.

23. Green says:

“Peripheral route to persuasion” used beautifully. Ending Engages in Emotional response > cognitive response. Attempting to divert audience attention away from questions the writer could not answer by the use of confusion (Emotionally). Well, it’s a common technique used by the media to mask their intent. Interesting piece of work though.

• imredjimmy says:

Wow, plenty of smart words there :D Never thought that maybe his first intention was to NOT answer our questions? Maybe you’re right and they went “shit, what do we do now :S”. I don’t need answers when the work is as beautiful ;)

• Snowolf says:

Hmm, I think he did answer the questions he posed in the beginning, but he answered them by saying that some answers…had no answers? Free interpretation is a given, of course, but I think Ikuhara meant to say above all was that family bonds- the price of living is to live for other people, and family represents that more than anything; not that true love is sacrifice, but to live in itself, that is the greatest punishment bestowed upon anyone, but living in meaning- living through other people, by sharing your suffering, your pain, your joy with one another- that’s the true price of living, but it’s the one price we all would never give up, because our constraints- the things that keep us in boxes, that sustain us and yet also hinder us from becoming gods, or ghosts, are the same imperfections that allow us to bond with one another. And in the end, Shouma and Kanba sacrificed themselves not out of “true” love, but out of happiness, in finding, sharing, and relishing their bonds with one another. That is the Penguindrum; the bonds shared by the trio, the punishment suffered by them, and the price they paid to make each other happy. THIS SOUNDS SO INCOHERENT I AM SORRY. But I do agree with you to an extent; some questions are left unanswered for the sake of stimulating those ideas and questions in the audiences’ minds, masked with a very poignant and emotional story.

24. imredjimmy says:

I loved loved LOVED the ending! I wasn’t really expecting things to be revealed much so that part didn’t really bother me. It sure was bittersweet but I was sure that Shouma and Kanba would dissapear or die for Himari simply because the opening song was called “Boys come back to me”. The episode was beautiful and the animation perfect. I like when Himari “shatters fate” by stepping on the glass. And the music…..the music!!!! My favourite series of the year (not of all time) without a doubt! I feel like it’s the kind of series the more you re-watch, the more you discover new things. I hope psgels will enjoy it as much as I did.

25. Alec says:

I loved and hated the ending at the same time. I kinda get the symbolism or the deep things that happened in the episode. But what I do not understand is WHY!.

Why did the characters do that? Why couldn’t they come up with a better solution? Why did they creators go for this ending? Why do I feel trolled bt this ending.

“WHY” is the biggest word

It’s just hard to put into words what I felt when watching that ending

26. Alec says:

still its a good ending.

Just like what the creator did to Utena’s ending (Epic/Best ending. but kinda felt trollish) He did it to MPD

27. c160 says:

Even though pretty much nothing was out right explained, I think I can understand it. And like what every one else is saying, it was definitely emotionally devastating T_T

28. Zetatrain says:

Ok lets see here. Half of me feels satisfied but the half feels like I just got trolled. I was expecting many things to be left unexplained and I am still in the process of trying to make sense of some of the stuff that was explained.

29. reverse says:

just a bit simple ending in my book, bad guy perish/sustain and they live happy ever after, oh and sou and kan disappearance just to spice thing up. overall it pretty solid ending didn’t manage to annoy me one bit

30. CJay says:

I feel like I am one of the few people who liked this better than Utena. Utena for sure had better developed characters but the characters I feel were used better in MPD. I guess it might be a personal thing more but I thought that the themes were far more powerful in this show. And the Nanami episodes werent that amazing where as the comedy in this show was constant and always hilarious with the penguin antics.

Id have to say that the more realistic setting in MPD also got my attention better and specifically made the surreal parts stand out more. Where as Utena’s really specific setting which was already rather surreal setting didn’t create the same contrast that I loved so much in MPD.

31. gandalf8 says:

I think I may be in the minority here, but I simply cannot seem to understand very well much of the story and symbolism in this series. Heck, I’m still scratching my head at most of the story elements in Revolutionary Girl Utena, Ikuhara’s previous series. Yet, you seem to have no problems with that seeing as you consistently rate each episode as excellent with a run of awesome episodes towards this finale. Therefore, I would like to make a request of you. I know these days you seem to be getting busier with real life Psgels, so I totally understand if you cannot fulfill it. So, my request is – could you make a synopsis that covers the major events in the series from the first episode up until this finale? And also include a separate column if possible to explaining the major symbolism in the series, like the apple for instance?

32. akitoyo says:

To me, Penguingdrum is a story about love. Plain and simple.

I think that the penguindrum/apple = love. That’s it. Giving the apple to someone/saying “let’s eat the fruit of destiny together” = “i love you”.

Tabuki says that every child just needs someone to say “I love you” to him/her, because this allows them to live on and find happiness in the cruel world.

– Kanba was chosen by the parents, which is why he got the apple in the box, but he shares that with Shouma, which is why they’re both alive as “brothers”
    – Shouma says “let’s eat the fruit of destiny together” to Himari in the child broiler, so Himari is brought back and is part of a family and finds happiness
    – Momoka says “let’s eat the fruit of destiny together” to Yuri and Tabuki (not directly, but in order to save them from their respective shitty worlds) and the two come together to find happiness in the end
    – More obvious, but Shouma saying “I love you” to Ringo and burning (taking the punishment for reviving Himari) in her stead, and Ringo finding happiness with Himari in another world.

etc. etc.

“mawaru” = going round and round, Penguindrum = love. This is beautifully depicted in the siblings. Each sibling had shitty pasts, with shitty parents. But they loved each other (Again, with the apples 1) Kanba –> Shouma, 2) Shouma –> Himari, 3) Himari –> Kanba. WALLAH! A CIRCLE!) and could find happiness.

On a side note, I read something that I found interesting somewhere.
    There are three siblings but only 2 apples, which is why Himari had to die. Destiny couldn’t allow all three to live, because there wasn’t enough love for all of them. That’s why in the end, with Shouma and Kanba sharing the apple and reviving Himari, Himari was alive in full form, but Kanba and Shouma were kids (half of what they were).
    I’m not exactly sure if that all adds up, but I thought it was interesting.

• akitoyo says:

OH, btw if you can’t tell, I LOVED THIS SERIES!

• tmyk says:

“I guess what Ikuhara is trying to say is, it’s a shitty world out there, but as long as there’s love between people, they can still find happiness (albeit many shapes and forms). Simple as that.”

OK! I can deal with that. . .it also explains why I absolutely hated the series as well (aside from all the confusing symbolism)

I just dont believe that the world is as shit as Ikuhara tells us it is, in fact I believe the complete opposite, that as well as the belief that you need someone to love you to get though, when I believe that you need to truly love yourself, instead of relying on someone else to shower their love on you (as no one person can shower there love on you 100% of the time forever) and the third thing, I believe that each individual decides their own fate.

The fate part I understand why I rolled my eyes every 30 seconds (as they mentioned it that much) since that didnt gel with what I believe at all, the rest I just hated but didnt understand why, it wasnt because the series is inherintly bad, its actaulyl quite good at telling Ikuharas message, it sjust the message that I and probably a few others dont really think is accurate. Thats what I find the biggest flaw in overly symbolic shows like these that try to be “deep” and send a message, if people don’t agree with the message, it becomes too preachy top it off with the over the top symbolism then it morphs form preachy to pretentious. . .BUT at least I know what he was saying and why I don’t agree etc. . . thanks for that akitoyo

33. PL says:

Favorite line this ep(Subs):

Sanetoshi: You’ve gotta be shittin me.
    Laughed for 2 mins.

34. billish says:

@gandalf: i’m sure someone will do it, considering how well-written this show is.
    I dunno, i figured about the symbolic penguindrum earlier in the series (though i did marathon this in a week or so).
    I really fuckin enjoyed this series, but i knew i would after maybe episode 10.
    I totally understand why this type of ending can be frustrating. I guess this type of highly literary / highly symbolic work is my cup of tea.
    Also, I REALLY appreciate some of the work that’s being done by some fans on this site’s comment section alone, as it just makes organizing thoughts much easier.
    Last, I feel that MPD blows Utena out of the water with its subject matter, but realistically I can’t compare the two because I haven’t / couldn’t finish Utena (matter of taste i’m sure)
    So, finally, what does this show mean to me? Well, it means I’m gonna give Utena another chance, thought I am pessimistic in the outcome lol

35. kazid33 says:

O wheel, the final here, uhmm to confusing for me, meaby is not the show for me but at least I agree that it was a good show, not a amazing but a good one. Really between this and Stein I really prefer Stein, but is actually about preferences. Is my personal opinion.

And about the next season, I dont see anything interesting, its me?? or really the new shows are bad?.

36. betawatcher says:

@kazid33 NATSUME. NUFFSAID.

37. nodbgp says:

Wow, you know that wasn’t the final I wanted, I wanted an ending where the world ended and was born anew, because it’s as real as it can get. But seriously the final they gave is even more original and awesome, I mean there’s a lot of works out there that deal with sacrifice, but as long as I remember this is the first series that deals with real sacrifice. People are complaining about how the girls can’t remember the brothers, but would they be able to be happy remembering how the ones they loved died because of them? I don’t think so, the feeling of guilty would always be lingering somewhere. So that’s real sacrifice, giving everything without getting nothing back beyond the well being of the person you are giving.

Also, thank you akitoyo for explaining the scorpion fire issue, I guess it’s time I read “Night on the Galactic Railroad”. Also thank again akitoyo for summing it up about the three siblings circle, in which Kanba gave Shouma’s life meaning, Shouma did the same for Himari and then Himari became Kanba’s light.

For people complaining about answers not being given, just watch it again or read peoples posts or the better way, think harder, all that had to be answered was there and all that wasn’t answered, well, it didn’t have to be answered in first place. As for people complaining that it wasn’t a happy ending: A) Just pay attention to the last lines of dialogue between Kanba and Shouma when they pass in front of the house or B) go watch some happy go lucky series, there are a lot of those out there, and thats why they will be forgotten through the years, a thing which I’m sure will not happen with penguindrum.

To finish this post, I wanna say I’m really happy I was only able to watch it exactly on my birthday, for it was a great ending fit for an great series. So thank you Penguindrum. :)

38. kazid33 says:

@betawatcher I will check that one. ? is the thirth season rigth?.

39. Oersted says:

I’m pretty sure Ikuhara would engage in a tremendous troll laughing if he saw some of these debates. I bet the guy put some images there without even thinking what they meant — and it’s not an offense. Mawaru Penguindrum is a story which anyone can intuitively understand, and it’s actually pretty simple, but our minds insist on extracting meanings and exploring dead ends. There is an undeniable artistic appeal and beauty to this unique storytelling, but we are too busy to appreciate it.

We were expecting that the final episode would gather up all the stuff and conclude them… Well, sorry to disappoint you, but most of these stayed behind. Penguindrum is all about the trip, not the destination itself. For a complete analysis, it would be necessary to do it episode by episode, without bothering too much with the general scene (specially now that we know how it ends).

• manlyflower says:

I’ll be honest, that’s what I used to think as well with these kinds of works, and for some, that might be what actually happened. It might also be true for some of the “symbols” in this particular story, but these things that come up, sometime veeery esoteric things, represent the story in ways I couldn’t predict. There are somethings that are not intuitive at all, like some of the stories referenced, that deepen understanding about the values that the anime is expressing. And honestly, I don’t think there is a difference in heavy symbolic meaning and artistic storytelling. Just by examining the symbolism, we are basking in the beauty of the crafted story.

You’re right, intuitively it IS easy to understand. Without understanding everything concretely, but that’s a different matter. But just how he fit the story perfectly and so masterfully into 24 episodes with little to no pointless excess, it would be almost insulting to say the scenes and settings he created were just flairs of ascetic inconsequence.

I can understand where you come from, and I acknowledge there there are indeed artists of every nature that use symbolism that does not go anywhere just for the flair, but I honestly believe Ikuhara is not one of them. I have yet to find a piece of symbolism in MPD that does not accentuate or foreshadow the story and ideas in one way or another.

40. kazid33 says:

Then i thing is good to made four seasons¡¡

41. Alec says:

so Akio didn’t die/disappear… his plans just failed
    ans Sanetoshi didn’t die/disappear either… his plans just failed.

Damn, I just love Ikuhara’s villains.

42. Hogart says:

I ended up liking this in different ways then I expected. I’m not one to enjoy doing all of the work myself, so as a narrative this failed me (or I failed it, if you prefer). But as a character study it actually ended up rather good, and redeemed itself in my eyes.

I’m just not sure how it stands as it’s own story, because here the symbolism pretty much is the story. Since it relies so heavily on the shoulders it’s standing on, and those shoulders are always in-frame, it’s difficult to tell which I’m appreciating more. I can safely say that Penguindrum has made me appreciate those shoulders a bit more, at least.

But yeah.. I can certainly understand why people who aren’t familiar with all the referenced material would see Penguindrum as too pretentious and dense to appreciate. I think it either got lucky (or was told with enough skill if you are forgiving) that it didn’t have to answer a lot of questions.. but that’s probably going to leave a lot of people in the lurch.

43. evolstar says:

For those wondering about the apple symbolism, I found this image to be helpful at explaining it: http://i.imgur.com/bYTw1.jpg

• Machi says:

I’d say that this is one thing that really should be left for viewers to ponder on themselves. The idea of it as a reference to Miyazawa Kenji looks to be a great start though to understanding it. But by and large it keeps changing meaning depending on the context it is used for in the episodes so yeah I don’t think this has a solid answer, nor necessarily requires one anyways.

44. jzar says:

On the fence a bit. I do feel like it the show did not tell the final story idea very well. I like the thinking parts very much but it went too far into unexplained. The true worlds answer our heart question.

Without the basic truths……you don’t reach it. So for me this fell short. It missed telling or showing us the heart of the story. So it’s a missed but a great effort and still worth a look.

45. Umi says:

WELL finally…they were mean to sacrifice…..it is really sad…as I can get…..Momoka was saved by their sacrifice to…but …jeje well I will love that SHouma and Ringo live…and Kanba and himari died jajajaja..at least one of the couples died…but…well….guys sacrificed by their girls….the love they found through the story i guess…i like it…but yes..I expected more answers…symbolisim was nice…but….I love more resolutions jaja…and …well…that shouma live…he was a really nice guy…kanba….too..but…I really prefered Shouma..

46. Dara says:

I like the end but I think the end is missing something …
    Mawaru Penguin Drum was a brillant amazing sad crazy anime, but is the best of 2011…
    It’s really a anime to think about (This make us mad)
    I need more time to understand all…

*those
Hearing these , I find myself much more tolerant of anime voice acting even if the dub might only be okay.
Its actually less of a sync issue, as I'm talking about 60s dubs , alot of people think the voices in old anime English dubs from the 90s are dated, but the old sixties kungfu and western dubs are shocking, far worse.
I don't mind sometimes satirical dubbing like on tiger lily , dialectics break bricks and kung pow however.
And those can be difficult to acquire sometimes in Italian or Chinese.
@Anon: Live action films, this is especially annoying sometimes because I love Spaghetti westerns and Chinese martial arts films and old Italian cop thrillers.
@Kaiser-Eoghan Are you referring to foreign animated films of foreign live action films because dubbing live action is a different beast as I'm sure you're aware. The idiosyncratic nature of watching moves and facial expressions not properly match voices really pulls the viewer out of the experience
SuperWooper
LoGH is airing a special next week because of scheduling delays, so that's one less thing to do.
Well to those whom it might concern, expect my posts to be later than usual this week. Work is hell at the moment.
I have to say, this is probably a bit hypocritical, but while I enjoy dubs of anime I really really can't stand dubs of foreign films.
Simo Hayha would make a pretty crazy Archer.
I imagine a fate strange fake adaptation will materialize eventually.
But everyone seems to want that Finnish sniper as a Fate servant .
Still no Mao, still mad.
....I have lost track of the historical characters in the fate lineup.
@Lenlo, to expand on that point the following historical figures are now female: Nero Claudius, Leonardo da Vinci, Frankenstein's Monster, Xuanzang, Jing Ke, Quetzalcoatl, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Miyamoto Musashi, Okita Souji and many more to come.
@Anon, I find it's an enjoyable watch though flawed. If you can get past some odd fanservice around the first ten episodes then I say it's worth watching.
So i was thinking if i start watching, darling in the franxx, is worth it? or is just another 6/10 anime?
God damnit. Why Nasu. Just why.
@Kaiser, that ain't even Lewd.
In all seriousness its ridiculous, the Japanese will make a cute/moe girl out of anything.
....Should I also mention that Francis Drake is a big boobed pirate queen?
@Aidan: Posting lewd images on a respectable chatbox.
@Lenlo, But none of these characters are in the anime adaptions. Well besides Jack and Saber.
Aidan, all this conversation did was prove that my decision to only ever watch the Ufotable adaptions was the correct decision.
@Lenlo, you can blame Extella for the Attlia the Hun thing. I wasn't too fond of it myself. Also should mention Attila is female as well.
Also Masky I will be the first to admit to the ridiculous aspects of the Fate Franchise but do take note that you are commenting on something you know literally nothing about. Which is the very definition of ignorance and is quite annoying. Fate/Zero nails the themes it's going for. So go watch Fate/Zero, come back and apologize.
@Masky, Give it time. Genghis is getting in there eventually with Grand Order. We just had Anastasia and Salieri introduced after all. And it's not as if this story introduces Servants willy nilly, they need actual story purpose. Genghis Khan wouldn't have fit the Narrative that Fate/Zero was going for.
Wait Attila is an Alien and Edison is a Lion? God damnit Fate. Why are you doing this to me. I was already annoyed at your treatment of Musashi
(aliens existing in the show is good example of that missing on themes part xP)
*most successful conqueror
Honestly was just amused most conqueror of all time not being featured in the show :D But wait, whats this about aliens?
Anyway the important thing to take into account is that in the Fate universe, King Arthur is a woman, Attila the Hun is an Alien, Thomas Edison is a lion and Jack the Ripper is a little girl in a dominatrix outfit. Any questions?
And while you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes, it does leave you ignorant of how that show handles those ideas and themes.
As for the Historical Alexander, he wasn't given the title of King of Couquerors. Fate/Zeros interpretation of him was. As generally accurate Fates interpretation of Servents history can be, they can make changes to suit the narrative.
In that Regard Alexander was doing the conquest thing before Ghengus did. Ghengus likely has some other title. Hell he may only have the title because public consciousness was is more familiar with Alexander than Ghengus.
Yeah, looking it up seems the King Title lost quite a lot of meaning in the Nasuverse. Though the King Title is rather flimsy. I mean Arthur is the King of Knights cause of the Knights of the round table. Gil is king of heroes because his tale was the first Heroic myth.
I think Alexander was just the first one they thought of, and they couldnt retroactively give it to someone else.

That said, Broskander deserves it <3
(And no, you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes of it.)
(just to note in case I need to note, I do tend to do at least cursory research when I make comments on stuff I don't watch)
That first part is semantics as Fate gives title "King" to historical figures who weren't kings already :D Also, you can make that argument about historical Alexander the Great? Since that seriously sounds like kind of weak reason.
Also sees Rider as deserving of title of "King of Conquerors" because that which he strives to conquer most is not lands or material wealth, but the hearts of people, the toughest conquest that can be undertaken by anyone.
@Masky, Ghengis Khan wasn't a king. He was a Khan.
Ghengis is always a Rider in my mind.
But in all seriousness, Ghengis would be an appropriate beserker servant.
@Masky: I know, it feels so wrong I'm still mad I can't summon Karl Marx or Stalin.
So wait, Fate series is about historical figures with super powers, but "King of Conquerors" title isn't given to Ghengis Khan? :D Seriously? Thats just so wrong
I don't feel any point in finishing it, it feels like something that I'd just randomly drop , not because its a bad show, but because I got my fill of it.
I am actually going to drop blogging it.
@Sash, indeed. I have been watching it but not blogging it for the last few episodes because it just hasn't givne me anything to say. I don't think it's a bad show but I have pointed out the flaws and strengths of it already so there is truly nothing more to say on it.
Sash
I think wotakoi is starting to feel repetitive..
You are now aware Shana and Batman Ninja Harelequinn are both voiced by Rie kugimiya.
I did. It was... It was a thing.
@Lenlo: Did you end up watching Batman ninja by the way?
Music is great, yeah. When the music is on point, everything goes up. Everytime the sync the fight/punches to the music I just get hyped. Like the rotating shot with Aragaki or the first fight in episode 1.
Ill do my best to be clearer in the future on that front. Yeah, I dont mind twists like this. Makes the inevitable Mikio fight, narratively, even better.
I feel the music does alot of the lifting.
Oh, so that was it.
Sorry if I never made that clear.
I would rather have fewer, amazing, fights than a lot of low-quality fights. This is a one cour show, the more meaning/impact they can give each fight the better.

Like Aragaki, narratively, was great. Loved it. Its just in animation/choreography that it falls flat.
Im disappointed with the animation of the fights. Narratively, I think they are quite good.
*disappointed with the fights in past episodes
@Lenlo: Pretty much what I said I thought of the episode. Although I was surprised how took the episodes ending, I expected you to see it as a slap in the face after being disappointed with the fights.
Also, @Kaiser, I thought Megalo Box did something unique this episode. I wasn't expecting Joe to *not* fight. And the Mikio/Yukiko proxy war is an interesting character motivation. Im betting Yukiko will get Joe a full citizenship, effectively getting her on his side.
I wish I was physically capable of watching Megalo Box without thinking of Hajime no Ippo. I really do. But everytime I watch it, it makes me want to watch Ippo again to.
Anonymous2120908
I watched some more of the Chimera family chinese anime. (Wasn't aware it was monthly released). And geez, I like the concept, the background art is very pretty and contrasts with settings that have become tired in other anime. Yet sadly the animation and script are WEAK. I haven't grasped the quality of what's expected of these types of production but I want to believe, they're trying.
Not much in the way of action in megalobox this week, but I did like the focus on Yukkiko getting a small character moment and then the big moment at episodes end .
@Anon, That's some lazy ass trolling buddy. Should have stopped before the hashtags.
I'm even sort of looking forward to supposedly less respectable stuff like Goblin slayer and happy sugar life.
Also E3 is almost here. And I can't wait. I think Nintendo will have a good show considering they're revealing the new Smash with a tournament. There's rumors of the new game by Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong) and maybe they'll reveal something about how Pokemon will be on the Switch.
Also there's always the chance of something new being discovered. Not everything needs expectations behind. Sometimes great things come out of nowhere.
So yes, there are some at least decent shows coming out.
@Anon: Muh Baki, Muh Bananna fish, muh made in abyss season 2, muh Vinland.
Anonymous2119906
The rest of this year looks like shit for anime and 2019 doesn't look great either #fuckmoe #makeanimegreatagain
Anonymous2119214
@Kaiser yeah it happened in half the amount of eps this time around for steins gate 0; which i expected considering there's a lot of ground to cover
Anonymous2119106
@Supermario Something like Fate or the LOTR films are a different case. I get where you're coming from about your preference, but I'm arguing that if a large story is going to be split into 3 films, it helps that the 3 films feel cleanly cut. Infinity war, even though we know there's a second part to the story, feels like it has that cohesive narrative structure with a beginning, middle, and end
Anonymous2119106
@Super Mario yea but the marvel movies are a different situation so i don't think the comparison is as appropriate. Marvel movies are "episodic" in nature rather than a continuous narrative. The films are largely isolated stories that are happening in a similar universe that only happen to "congeal" narratively because of a few overarching details shared between films.
@Lenlo: I remember when the original series suddenly shifted and got going and it was a really depressing episode.
Oh baby. The storm has finally come in Steins;Gate. Let the true suffering commence
@anon2118276: that's why I don't like LoTR trilogy. It's still a whole body chopped up in 3 parts, despite how clean the cut is. Whereas for me it works better if it was like a branch in a tree. The Marvel movies (despite my disinterest on those) are a good example of this.
While I did feel some of this weeks steins gate felt fillery, I do like see these characters interact and given the episodes conclusion, this episode acted as a calm before the storm.
Ill agree with you on King Kong. As for the Ralph Bakshi LotR, I have. I am still to this day impressed by the overlay of 2D art onto real/overexposed footage. It makes for shockingly fluid animation in places and has its own distinct style
@Lenlo - Have you watched the old Ralph Bakshi adaptation of the first two books? It's uneven, but it's interesting comparing and contrasting certain decisions. As good as Peter Jackson is, I feel he makes very longwinded films, I like his version of King Kong a lot, but it is too long.
@supermario i disagree; the point is that even though the LOTH films have cliffhanger endings, they still feel like fils. they have a defined first second and third act with well paced tension and release throughout them. They follow a storytelling macrostructure necessary for films to feel like cohesive narratives even if they are to end on a cliffhanger
I quite liked the individual LOTR movie just fyi
Marvel surprisingly has kept their movies simple enough, that while you might miss details nowadays, you can tell what's happening.
Another bad case is like with Assassin's Creed, which like Lost, just tried to tease a lot of things, then it grew tired of trying to piece them together and let the last games work more standalone, with little hints of a larger lore.
Metroid does both, it has a standalone story and a hint to what a sequel might bring. Though that hint rarely matters by the time the new game is released.
@SuperMario - Some videogames trilogies also do that. Gears of War and God of War had good standalone beginnings but by the second game they put cliffhanging endings. Kingdom Hearts does that and I expect 3 to also do it. Megaman Legends and Half Life had incomplete stories, which might be the worse case in regards to trying to make a continuous story.
It ruins the appetite
I actually think Lord of the Rings' trilogy is a bad example to follow. These films are meant to be viewed as a whole, so each film doesn't hold much as an individual story. I just can't digest films that have "to be continued" sign at the end. Imagine having a first course meal and then have to wait for few days for second course
On the current topic, I would be well for the production of a long running, ambitious ova series.
then again, i don't take too much issue with these films feeling like movie-sized eps...the wait just sucks is all
clearly the films need each other to tell the whole story, yet they can be taken for what they are in isolation as well
I don't mind the trilogy trend at all; like Aidan said, when everything is said and done, all the films will be available to watch. I just think a stronger attempt should be made to make them feel like complete films. Something like the lord of the rings trilogy is a great example of how to do this
I am in full confidence that neither I nor Miura will survive to the end of berserk.
Of course maybe they won't have a future , think about it that way, then they'd never see it, life has that weird way of being unpredictable like that =P
You can always rewatch them just before watching the one after.
Of course not. But that's the thing. The wait is only a temporary problem. Anyone in the future will have all movies ready to view.
So it's best to wait for another 2 years to watch Heaven's Feel? Hell NOT
When all the movies come out though you can basically barrel through it like a TV series.
Dangit, it's me Mario
I still don't know if I like this trilogy trend. We've had a fair bun h of those in recent years (Berserk Golden Age, Madoka, even Kizumonogatari). I guess doing it that way, they'd make much more profits, and we have higher production values, but the wait is way too long and I don't think it works as movie-format
One of the very rare times where self-awareness works.
I can be nice and say of course Ryan Reynolds+ violence, comic was funnier.
@Aidan: But I'm sure if you think it over, the first deadpool was trapped in origin story mode, as an advantage, the sequel, is probably free of that.
@Aidan: Deadpool 2 had John Wicks director, which at the least means something in terms of action direction.
@Aidan: There was a whole run of deadpool issues called Cable and deadpool, which I suppose that pairing together gets the best out of the character.
Seen Deadpool 2 tonight and I have difficultly deciding if it's better or worse than Deadpool 1. Still it's quite fun and I enjoyed it.
@Anon, I feel somewhat similar in regards to Franxx. When this series finishes I won't be singing high praises for it. Yet I do feel that it's worth watching.
@Lenlo, Now I get ya. Yeah I understand that. I might even feel the same if I didn't already know the story from the VN.
@Amagi, The second film seems to be in cinema this year but we won't get it until it hits blu-ray.
@Travlos: As I expected, I am disappointed that they have held back . And you might just be right about Castrollop/Caligula/Nero, when I originally attempted to watch the show years ago, that was the episode I stopped on.
Yang really is stealing the show this time. But I wanted the "Alcohol is mankind's oldest friend" rant. I need it.
my expectation is that they will take this to the Battle of Armistar, and then the films will cover the dual civil wars etc.
...CASTROP REBELLION! Why the hell sacrifice an episode to the most useless and bad part of the original! I hated that episode. Well let us see if they can give it a better twist this time around.
The Iserlohn arc at LGOGH:NT was ok. I liked how they presented the preparations. I like the new Murai face. The music was quite good. But they did tone the violence. I expected Walter to stab the imperial officer in the neck. They have toned down the violence a lot. And I missed Seeckts "Long live the Empire" death. That said it was not bad, and I think in general it was good adaption. But....
for example, I think Darling in the franxx is pretty average, but that's not because i think it doesn't have cool shit in it or things that make it appealing; I just find that what the show tries to achieve is not that stupendous or worth lauding with praise. As a result, the flaws stick out that much more to me
@Lenlo and that's pretty much how i felt. Everything is subject to criticism; hell i criticize my most favorite things in the world because i know they're not perfect. I evaluate art and media on whether what it achieves overshadows the flaws and to what degree. Which i think is the best way to approach criticism
I want to repeat though, Heavens Feel wasn't bad. I know some people take any criticism to mean I hated it, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I just think ill appreciate/enjoy it more once the other 2 movies are also out.
@Anon, you nailed it. I couldnt describe it, but what you said /feels/ right.

And Aidan, I loved Lindsay Ellis's videos on the whole Hobbit debacle. A shame, cause the original Lord of the Rings is a landmark in film for me.
@Aidan: Do we know if the next HF movie will be finished this year?
I love how and how often they say "Fujimi no Sugimoto" in Golden Kamuy. It's pretty hype for some reason, especially when it's said by his enemies.
yea. heaven's feel is nothing like the situation with peter jackson's hobbit; this story needs this many movies and that large runtime. The thing with these heavens feel films that is probably bothering lenlo is that they feel like very long episodes and that particularly the first film felt like a giant prologue rather than a film with a beginning, middle, and end
And just to make it clear, Heavens Feel needs at least three movies to cover the entire story. It's too big for one movie.
@Lenlo, I ain't unhappy about it though. Sucks that I need to wait so long for each movie but there is higher production values as a result. Though in regards to the Hobbit I recommend watching Lindseys Eillis videos on it. As it not only talks about how it screwed the Hobbit but also how the movies screwed New Zealand.
I could never immerse myself in Tolkienistic world building.
Man, the hobbit, lord of the rings and that shit king kong film, he sold out so much , this was the man who gave me Heavenly creatures , Braindead and Feebles.
It is very beautiful indeed. And Aidan, that Hobbit metaphor made me weep for you. I hated what happened to the Hobbit
other than that; HF is a very beautiful looking film; ufotable has improved with their digital compositions...holy crap
heaven's feel seems to be embracing its more horrific elements. Aside from that, watching this film made me realize how much i prefer rin over the rest of the girls; kinda wish we got to spend a bit more time understanding Sakura's psyche in the film
@Mario: This was part of some film fest thing, ended up missing big fish Begonia though, that Chinese animated thing =<
@Mario: they'd invited him to introduce the flick.
@Mario: Had this really unexpected run in, in my nearest arthouse cinema, seeing some film about the Soviet space program , I bump into this eastern European guy, assume he's an audience member, awkwardly say something in Russian to him, turns out he's the Russian federation ambassador to Ireland.
It's sort of the hobbit situation where they chopped one book into three. Expect here we aren't getting extra fluff to pad things out. Well there are extra scenes but they are actually relevant.
Point is that in it's orignal form there are no stopping points here were you need to wait a year to continue. It was a straight story from start to finish.
Well Fate is essentially the tutorial section that introduces most of the concepts and whatnot. But even then some of the things here are explained later in Heaven's Feel. Cause yeah, not only is the Fate/Stay Night VN not supposed to be split up into three seperate things, the routes aren't supposed to be split into movies either.
Im only familiar with the UBW route, cause Ufotable
I see.
@Lenlo, In a way there is. Heaven's Feel was originally meant to be experience after the Fate and UBW routes of the VN. That the thing Fate/Stay Night has struggled with. It's not meant to be split up into three like this. It's originally supposed to be three parts of a whole. Each route complementing another.
Nayrael
And so am I
@Lenlo: Its like....sometimes I actually want to be able to like something I end up not liking, knowing I am the problem and not the show.
Spoiler alaert: anime is trash
I can understand that. I cant stand Clannad, so everytime I ask for a decent romance and it gets recommended I die alittle inside.
While thats very true that not everyone agreeing does make things more interesting, at the same time theres some sense of feeling left out when not understanding the appeal of something extremely well loved.
Also @Maskey +1. If everyone agreed with each other, it would be boring. I love hearing what other people think on stuff.
Also, @Kaiser, give Ippo a try. It is one of the longest running and best sports anime/manga ever made. I sincerely believe this. That said, Megalo Box isnt bad. I still enjoy it. Ive just seen boxing done better.
It wasnt a bad movie. It just felt like it had a lot going on. Like Gil had a 30 sec clip, I don't really understand what the ribbon monster is but I suspect its the grail, and the new Assassin pulling an Alien, while cool, came out of left field. Like, once I just accepted it and moved on it was a fun movie. It just felt like there was a base of knowledge I needed but didnt have.
Eh, its okay to not like something that someone else likes. I disagree rather often with blog writers' opinions here but I still enjoy reading their opinions

Megalo Box – 7 [The Road to Death]

Hello everyone, and welcome to the most surprising episode of Megalo Box yet. This week we have family drama, Joe’s declining health and a shocker of an ending. Lets jump in! So starting from the top, lets talk about this ending. I never thought Megalo Box would pull something like this, with its limited number […]

Hinamatsuri – 07 [Anzu Is a Greeter Now]

At this halfway mark, I want point out that the comedy of Hinamatsuri isn’t as sharp as the first few episodes (except for the segment including Hitomi’s classmates). There’s still absurdist sense of humor, sure, but it doesn’t make me laugh out lout or even make me chuckle. That is to say I come to […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 7[The Capture of Iserlohn (Part 2)]

The majority of this episode was detailing the plan and execution of Yangs takeover of Iserlohn which does seem rather simplistic when you think about it. This is a point where LOGH shows its age a bit and while they tried to bump it up by throwing in a body scanner, there is still the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 6 [Eclipse of Orbital Ordering -The Orbital Eclipse-]

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Steins;Gate 0 has stomped the throttle and cut the breaks. Lets skip the intro and just get right to it. Early on I thought this episode was going to be slow, we were going to focus on our characters and relax a bit. I thought it would be drama […]

Golden Kamuy – 06 [Hunter’s Soul]

Well, (animal) shit. Golden Kamuy starts slow this week and ends with a bang. This episode presents many of Golden Kamuy’s ups and downs so it’s best to dissect them one by one. For the negative part, the pacing is still off. This episode spends too much time on Sugimoto and Asirpa hunting that poor […]

Hisone no Masotan – 05 [Do You Really Think That There’s Anybody Who Likes Being Disliked?]

There’s one thing you can count on original shows, you can never know for sure what the plot is going next. Sometimes, it surprises you with its sheer originality and sometimes, it could go to weird places. HisoMaso falls into the latter this week, literally where it’s taking us to an uninhabited island for the […]

Darling in the Franxx – 17[Eden]

Indeed Franxx appears to be doubling down on a darker more serious tone though I still am wondering if it will truly follow through on this or dismiss it fast and go full on happy ending. Personally I always feel cheated when a series foreshadows dark things to come only to turn tail when it’s […]

Megalo Box – 6 [Until the Last Dog Dies]

Alright, Megalo Box was a series of highs and lows this week and I don’t want to waste time with a preamble. So this week, lets speed things up and just jump in! To start off, the big showpiece of this week is the Aragaki vs Joe fight. We will get to its place in […]

Hinamatsuri – 06 [Nitta-san Has a Dandy Dad]

This week in Anzumatsuri Hinamatsuri, the show proves once again that it does have something up its sleeves. Rarely a show does the drama effectively to the point of winning me some (manly) tears, let alone a comedy show in nature like this, but Hinamatsuri more than earned it with a nice emotional story for […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]