Posted by psgels on 12 March 2012 with categories: Another

This episode would have been totally AWESOME… if it weren’t for two specific things. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I had that feeling when the class photo of the dead Misaki was shown. I’ve been dying to see a picture of who he actually was, because all we know about him is that he’s some dead ghost who has been haunting the same class for more than 20 years. That was some awesome build-up there. The rest of this episode also had a really terrific atmosphere that really kept me on the edge of my seat.

But really, are you going to play the padding thing again in two consecutive episodes? This is the reason why I don’t rank Another among the best horror series. And don’t get me wrong: it is really good, but at these points it just tries too hard. The kinds of twists where right when something is about to be revealed something jumps up to break the tension completely misses the point of an anti-climax.

Also… Misaki knew who the ghost was? That sounds like pretty big information to conceal, isn’t it? I mean, I understand that she didn’t feel like telling her classmates after what they did to her, but she never mentioned this to Kouichi, someone who she has been very open with? I mean, she said that she preferred to conceal her eye in the class and all, but she sat in the back of the class: she should have had one point where she she found a good way to take a peak at the entire classroom (a test for example), so she knew who the bad guy was all along. The next few episodes had better offer a very good explanation for that.

And on the other hand, this episode did end with one heck of a cliff-hanger.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. ozonozo says:

FUCKIN SCARY.

2. Meeps says:

“Hi, i’m the female lead character. I’ve known all along who the ghost cursing all of you really is and who’s killing all of you and your families, but I just stayed silent because you were mean to me.”

…really? I want to like this show, I really do, but when it keeps throwing curve-balls like this, it just starts to really annoy me.It’s got a great idea and a great atmosphere, but when you get down to the details, it falls apart…

• Qwerty1 says:

It’s less likely she’s been withholding the information out of spite or anything than she simply didn’t know what to do with the information.

On top of that whats there to say anyone would have believed her? I know that the whole situation with the curse is weird to start off with but when the quiet girl in the back of the class suddenly says her glass eye can see dead people?

• dm00 says:

I agree with qwerty1 — no one would have believed her, even if anyone would have listened to “the non-existent girl” and what she had to say.

And, until they heard the tape, what would it matter? Misaki’s a little messed up, and she knows it. If someone is going to be shunned, she was more-or-less willing to accept the role. But revealing the ghost? Maybe that would result in everyone being killed.

I don’t think it’s padding things out, at all. I find the pacing to be fine.

New mystery: was there meaning in Akazawa’s dream?

3. Commenter says:

Actually, I think she didn’t believe it fully herself until she saw the picture with the original another.
    Secondly, even if she realized, there’s no point in revealing it. It would lead to panic and chaos, and she might be killed off for spoiling it considering how that went with the guy with the bad heart.

By the way, I’ve been watching parts of previous episodes. It’s interesting in that the first episode’s prologue section seems to contain many of the scenes of the deaths in the series. Or at least a hint of them. Also, certain parts of certain episodes have made me realize who the another is. Be warned.

• Scruffy says:

I think you’re right there. It wasn’t that she saw the picture that she was sure of her ability to discern the ‘another’. After all you have to consider that ALL of the class member are close to death.

4. Scruffy says:

Actually, if you take what Misaki says at face value with the curse starting in April not May, and the fact that at that point there was not a seating discrepancy then there is only one candidate for the ‘Another’. It all depends on whether her sister was part of the curse.

5. James says:

Did anyone else find Awasaki’s change of personality all of a sudden in this episode weird and out of place. Like all of a sudden, we have a jealous tsundere to deal with. I love the feeling of this entire anime, but to throw stuff like that in our faces is just wrong. I don’t know about you guys, but there is a place and time for tsunderes and harems, this isn’t the best place for one.

• Scruffy says:

She has always been like that. I don’t see it as a change in character. Her attitude to Mai has always been cold.

6. skyhack says:

Scruffy’s right. Only one candidate. I say it’s NOT a student. It’s a different kind of extra, and the student count was one too high on the first day of class.

Death throws a slider.

• Nic says:

Agreed there. If we accept that Mei’s sister was killed by the curse, the list of suspects for the Another is narrowed down to just 1 person.

More importantly, once you focus on that person, you realize it is also connected to Koichi’s memory of being in town 18 months ago and that the twins thing Mei brought up is relevant.

I’m being purposely vague about it though, people can connect the dots if they want to (I never read the source material).

At thing point, the fun for me will be to see who dies, if the curse will me permanently lifted or not and whether they go on a murderous spree like a bunch of headless chicken.

7. Commenter says:

Akazawa isn’t the jealous type here…I think she’s blaming both Misaki and Sakakibara for breaking the charm. If Sakakibara listened to the many hints the class gave, the charm would still be in place. If Mei was more distant, the charm could also still be in place.

Since they did not, many classmates are dead which means she failed as a countermeasures organizer…and one of the dead classmates was probably a good friend of her. There must be a lot of resentment going on here.

• Scruffy says:

According to Mei the curse was active even before Koichi had arrived as Mei’s sister died in April. Mei and Koichi did not cause the curse to activate. However it is understandable Akazawa blames Mei.

• James says:

You were right. I went back and looked through the evidence. Akazawa might be a little bit of Yandere instead of tsundere. I can sense it now. She’s got the yandere vibes. This could get interesting.

• AidanAK47 says:

Oh no no no. Her anger is not understandable at all. There were plenty to times she could have told Koichi about the curse. There were plenty of times the class could have stopped him from talking to Mei and let him in on the story. Giving vague hints instead of outright saying it only served to make his curiosity grow.

In the end it’s not Mei’s fault at all. It’s because the class was retarded. Oh well it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. The curse would have continued.

• Scruffy says:

If she had outright said is she would have been dead, just like heart attack boy

• AidanAK47 says:

No she wouldn’t. Heart attack boy died because the curse was active. But she met Kouichi before the curse was active. Besides from what I heard there is nothing in the rules about not being able to tell others about it.

• Rio says:

But letting him in on the story would mean they’d have to tell him that he needs to ignore Mei. This would acknowledge Mei’s existance and therefore start the curse. It’s a catch-22 situation.

• tktym says:

But they had ignored Mei’s existence before koichi came to town and the curse activated ANYWAY before Koichi came. Becuase Akazawa didnt have her shit together, she didnt realize that the curse had already started. so really the shit is HER fault. Which is why I agree with Aidan, Akazawa ia a bitch lol, even if it was met’s fault or whatever, what the hell was apologizing gonna do to stop the curse? Shes just wasting time, and instead should have been doing what koichi had been doing. . .trying to find out what the hell is going on. She was surely aware of the guy who stopped the calamity, but she didnt go and talk to him to find out the info that koichi did and then ACT on it? What, was she too busy doing something more important than. . .oh TRYING TO NOT GET KILLED BY THE CURSE!? Akazawa in this ep was just really fking stupid. she even caused another kid to die by getting all bitchy and making the situation worse!

8. nrad says:

From the next preview or next 2 episodes, I just imagine a massacre leaving only 2 survivors. Felt like cliche to me.

9. RABUJOI says:

If Mei was present when Sakaki/Mochi/Teshi listened to the rest of the repaired tape, I wonder if she would have spoken up sooner about her ability, or if she actually needed to look at the photo to confirm what her eye was showing her. Chalk it up to bad timing?

That aside, I like how simple and plausible the solution to the calamity turned out to be: Kill the dead one. Simple in theory, not so simple in execution. There’s plenty of the class left alive, but nobody has escaped emotionally unscathed. The question is, how many more will die before Mei reveals the dead one and he or she is…dealt with?

10. skyhack says:

@Nic,
    Yeah, I don’t know the source material, either. After watching this episode, though, and relating it to things that happened early on, it’s the only conclusion I could come up with.

Now, as for Teshy’s “f-up”, I wonder if he just blurted what he learned from the tape to everyone else. That would be enough to get someone sharpening their nail file with a whetstone (In the preview – my money’s on that prim glasses girl), and have them go on a little rampage, trying to kill the “other”.

I can’t wait!

11. skyhack says:

I noticed that Mei has excellent vision through what should be a glass eye…

• Raggers says:

I saw that too! Confused me badly… I could have accepted a darkness able to only see life force, but with only the glass eye she saw Sakakibara and the room perfectly.

It makes sense if you think it’s magical, but then she obviously knew it worked (she could see using it). So it’s a sort of plothole.

Anyhow, the lack of reason is what worries me. What was so special about this suicide? And if that special thing isn’t related to Misaki’s eye (which I just realised might be her sister’s) then I’ve got a problem. Even if the reason is slightly half-hearted, there still needs to be one (for me at the least).

12. AidanAK47 says:

Alright, 100% sure of who’s the dead one now. Nice to see my initial assessment wasn’t too far off. But that’s just cheap. I mean god-damn cheap. I feel cheated.

dm00, even thought she is the non-existent girl that doesn’t mean she’s hated. Plus at this point the kids are desperate enough to believe prayed to gods is going to do something. I say they would have believed her out of desperation. And who knows? Maybe revealing the dead one is the key to stopping the curse? If the dead one realises they are dead that could stop everything. On that note she said she could tell when others are about to die so she could have warned those about to be killed by the curse. But she didn’t.

On another note, going on a school trip, when you have asthma, the class is being killed off by coincidental accidents and you don’t bring a spare inhaler.
    Just how stupid can someone be? I mean its practically common sense to bring a frigging spare!

• Scruffy says:

Mei said she could tell when people were sick. She didn’t say she could tell when people were about to die from the curse.

• AidanAK47 says:

I quote.

Kouichi: “You mean, you can tell when people are about to die?
        Mei: “It’s hard for you to believe, isn’t it?”

She mentioned illness and injury. If she can tell when people are about to die from such things then she could tell from other factors. Including accidents. It’s simple logic.

• Rio says:

Not necessarily. She mentioned seeing the colour in people who are dead, ill or injured. Someone who is ill or injured is different to a perfectly healthy person who might be about to have an accident.

13. skyhack says:

Akazawa’s dream actually brought episode 1 together for me. It’s not a dream, it’s an unaltered memory, and Sakakibara, who was in hospital clothes, was there all along. It makes his conversations with his father (who mentioned that Kouichi had been in Yomiyama a year and a half) and his grandfather (who asked if Kouichi was going back to the hospital, implying an extended stay) make sense. Kouichi said to his father that he’d only just started school, which didn’t surprise his father, lending more credence to the extended stay viewpoint.

It also give the curse a chance to get ahead of the countermeasures by manufacturing the “extra student” scenario, without actually bringing in a new student. In an unaltered Yomiyama, Kouichi’s release from the hospital and subsequent entry into the school would have been known in advance, being a matter of record.
    In light of all that, I’, tempted to think that Kouichi is the “Other”, but I’m still going with the teacher.

It’s too bad Grandpa doesn’t get much conversation time, because I think he’s actually unaffected by the memory alteration. His short bursts make me think his memory is intact, but his condition keeps him from being able to do much more than dwell on the past.
    I think his lamenting Ritsuko AND Reiko is pretty telling, as well.

The class photos were amusing, as everyone common to both photos has the exact same pose in both photos, including the one person who changed position to accomodate the shooting. Probably just studio economics driving that, but I can always use ammo for my theory!

I’ve rewatched much of the series, and there’s so much information, it overloads you.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • SuperMario
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 07:15 AM)
    Also it’s nice to see there was heated arguments on EVA even before I start to do any post review. The way I see it thou certain films/ series are classic/ influential for a reason, if they are brilliant I certainly can still see its sparks. Like I can still amazed of Potemkin Battleship on its montahe editing, or It Happens one night fot its influential on romantic comedy. So I really look forward to see how I feel about EVA hahaa
  • SuperMario
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 06:52 AM)
    Jezz, I was almost certain that I would cover Orange, mainly because I never have thought it would be on top of the polls. Anw, it’s good to see how Aidan cover it as it appears I’m a much more easy-marker than Aidan
  • Bam
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 05:40 AM)
    There is a hipster movement of contrarianism, that they just like to hate on whatever’s popular and deemed kinda mainstream. I get defensive when they shit on classics like Akira, Berserk and Ghost in The Shell. I see that wasn’t the case here. Anybody can sincerely dislike Anything; that’s fine.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 05:31 AM)
    I see your point too. We can certainly take the stance of judging a thing by its own merit, unobstructed by social influences and constrains of time. Yet even at that Evangelion is a fairly slick piece of science fiction, and an interesting watch. At worst it’s boring and contrived, but that’s harmless. Never really fair to call it shit.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 05:20 AM)
    @Aidan: looking back soberly I did come back a little too heated. That’s uncalled for and I’m sorry for that. I usually don’t lash out of unrelated daily stress, but there are mistakes here and there.
  • mamamoo
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 03:22 AM)
    @Aidan hahaha can’t wait for the episode reviews for Orange. It’s gonna really test you.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 02:58 AM)
    Look I knew how this would end before it began. We have done this already and neither of us are changing our stance. K-Off laid out things perfectly with his response so I see no reason to elaborate. Only reason I jumped in was because you brought Fate into it and if that was the bait then congrats, you won. I see no reason to continue the farce with no compromise in sight.
    In other words, need sleep. Goodnight.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 02:53 AM)
    @Bam,”I never said the problems it has gets erased by its early release or cultural significance”
    Neither did I. I said you are hand waving it’s problems by stating so, which you are.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 02:32 AM)
    …And orange is still top of the poll…ugh. Seems like this is going to be torture for me. Kiznaiver was already trying my patience with those speeches but if Orange is even worse…oh boy…
  • mamamoo
    (Monday, Jun 27. 2016 01:35 AM)
    Anyways I’m sure an emotionally manipulating soundtrack will make the anime a bit better :)

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Bungou Stray Dogs 12c

Bungou Stray Dogs – 12 (end)

And we get to the end of Bungou Stray Dogs, but this last episode doesn’t offer any conclusive ending, instead feel more like a set up episode for the next season. This last episode functions like a typically Bungou Stray Dogs’ episode; there are many good things to say about it, mainly the technical triumphs […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

When experiencing the wave of new anime each season it can get rather tiresome to notice all the teenagers fighting supernatural forces while gathering a harem through seer luck or similarly tired concepts. So when something like Joker game comes along and takes a road less traveled with it’s story, naturally I am well on […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 10

After the Horobi’s laser light show and having Biba-sama completely dominate the narrative with his super cool looking henchmen, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri is back on track although it’s on different rails for here on out. Imprisoned by the Hunters and being caught in the middle of the impending final conflict between the Shogun and Biba, […]

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

Mayoiga has to be one of the most misunderstood shows in recent years. On a surface, the premise alone has a lot of potential. The idea behind putting 30 people, each of them has very different set of personalities, together in a bus to a mysterious lost village, in order to start over new life […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game – 12

Upon finishing yet another rather uneventful episode of Joker Game, I began to wonder just what this series had planned for its finale. “How best to top off a rather mediocre series such as this?” I thought to myself. However when looking over general consensus over the episode I found out that I seen the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 12 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 12

This looks to be the weakest episode of Re:Zero to date which does seem to be a trend when it comes to the arcs of the series. When looking over these twelve episodes I have come to find that the weakest episodes of the series are the first episode of an arc which does make […]

Mayoiga 12d

Mayoiga – 12 (end)

Mayoiga pretty much wraps up its story this week and for the series that focus much about anti-climaxes and inconsistency, this ending neatly conclude all of its main loose end. In the final twist of Mayoiga, it turns out that Koharun is God’s daughter (now I understand the inclusion of him in Mayoiga) and all […]

Kiznaiver - 11 3

Kiznaiver – 11

I believe I finally figured out something much like Agata of this episode did. Over the course of watching Kiznaiver something in the back of my mind bugged me about it. It was something I couldn’t quite put my finger on but after watching this episode I believe it’s finally hit me. I now know […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 11d

Bungou Stray Dogs – 11

Bungou Stray Dogs strays to another side stories this week, it’s pretty much set up for the second cour, and in that aspect this week is a success one, both gives us a new light to existing characters and makes quite a bit of impression on our new characters. I kind of appreciate how the […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

akTwkhF

Stella Glow Game Review-60/100

I really should be getting Grand Kingdom or waiting for Mirage Sessions. My review of Stella Glow is way past relevancy being nearly 8 months late, but I finally completed this and it wouldn’t hurt to briefly wrap up my thoughts about the game created by the now-defunct Imageepoch. I somehow managed to get through Lord of […]

rs33

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Game Review – 87/100

Oh my. This game was just utterly, utterly incredible when it came out, so despite disliking the usual remasters (ahem, Valkyria Chronicles), I was pretty stoked when I learned I’d be able to play this again on better hardware. It came out really late into the PS2’s lifetime in 2007, so at the time, I […]

romance of 3 kingdoms

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 4: Chinese Traditional Animated shows

Welcome to the last part of our Chinese animated guide. This part will cover Chinese traditional art style, for me personally this is the most enjoyable group. The first thing you might notice in these shows are they were in different format ratio, lean more towards the Academy ratio format. I always find their traditional art […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]

Nüwa’s Growth Diary

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 2: Chinese Anime shows

As much as I hated the term Chinese Anime (Anime stands for Japanese animation, strictly speaking), this is the exact term for those shows. Their influence from the Anime was so heavy that apart from the voice cast and some scene settings, you can’t tell those apart from the original anime. With that said, judge from […]