Posted by psgels on 12 March 2012 with categories: Another

This episode would have been totally AWESOME… if it weren’t for two specific things. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I had that feeling when the class photo of the dead Misaki was shown. I’ve been dying to see a picture of who he actually was, because all we know about him is that he’s some dead ghost who has been haunting the same class for more than 20 years. That was some awesome build-up there. The rest of this episode also had a really terrific atmosphere that really kept me on the edge of my seat.

But really, are you going to play the padding thing again in two consecutive episodes? This is the reason why I don’t rank Another among the best horror series. And don’t get me wrong: it is really good, but at these points it just tries too hard. The kinds of twists where right when something is about to be revealed something jumps up to break the tension completely misses the point of an anti-climax.

Also… Misaki knew who the ghost was? That sounds like pretty big information to conceal, isn’t it? I mean, I understand that she didn’t feel like telling her classmates after what they did to her, but she never mentioned this to Kouichi, someone who she has been very open with? I mean, she said that she preferred to conceal her eye in the class and all, but she sat in the back of the class: she should have had one point where she she found a good way to take a peak at the entire classroom (a test for example), so she knew who the bad guy was all along. The next few episodes had better offer a very good explanation for that.

And on the other hand, this episode did end with one heck of a cliff-hanger.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. ozonozo says:

FUCKIN SCARY.

2. Meeps says:

“Hi, i’m the female lead character. I’ve known all along who the ghost cursing all of you really is and who’s killing all of you and your families, but I just stayed silent because you were mean to me.”

…really? I want to like this show, I really do, but when it keeps throwing curve-balls like this, it just starts to really annoy me.It’s got a great idea and a great atmosphere, but when you get down to the details, it falls apart…

• Qwerty1 says:

It’s less likely she’s been withholding the information out of spite or anything than she simply didn’t know what to do with the information.

On top of that whats there to say anyone would have believed her? I know that the whole situation with the curse is weird to start off with but when the quiet girl in the back of the class suddenly says her glass eye can see dead people?

• dm00 says:

I agree with qwerty1 — no one would have believed her, even if anyone would have listened to “the non-existent girl” and what she had to say.

And, until they heard the tape, what would it matter? Misaki’s a little messed up, and she knows it. If someone is going to be shunned, she was more-or-less willing to accept the role. But revealing the ghost? Maybe that would result in everyone being killed.

I don’t think it’s padding things out, at all. I find the pacing to be fine.

New mystery: was there meaning in Akazawa’s dream?

3. Commenter says:

Actually, I think she didn’t believe it fully herself until she saw the picture with the original another.
    Secondly, even if she realized, there’s no point in revealing it. It would lead to panic and chaos, and she might be killed off for spoiling it considering how that went with the guy with the bad heart.

By the way, I’ve been watching parts of previous episodes. It’s interesting in that the first episode’s prologue section seems to contain many of the scenes of the deaths in the series. Or at least a hint of them. Also, certain parts of certain episodes have made me realize who the another is. Be warned.

• Scruffy says:

I think you’re right there. It wasn’t that she saw the picture that she was sure of her ability to discern the ‘another’. After all you have to consider that ALL of the class member are close to death.

4. Scruffy says:

Actually, if you take what Misaki says at face value with the curse starting in April not May, and the fact that at that point there was not a seating discrepancy then there is only one candidate for the ‘Another’. It all depends on whether her sister was part of the curse.

5. James says:

Did anyone else find Awasaki’s change of personality all of a sudden in this episode weird and out of place. Like all of a sudden, we have a jealous tsundere to deal with. I love the feeling of this entire anime, but to throw stuff like that in our faces is just wrong. I don’t know about you guys, but there is a place and time for tsunderes and harems, this isn’t the best place for one.

• Scruffy says:

She has always been like that. I don’t see it as a change in character. Her attitude to Mai has always been cold.

6. skyhack says:

Scruffy’s right. Only one candidate. I say it’s NOT a student. It’s a different kind of extra, and the student count was one too high on the first day of class.

Death throws a slider.

• Nic says:

Agreed there. If we accept that Mei’s sister was killed by the curse, the list of suspects for the Another is narrowed down to just 1 person.

More importantly, once you focus on that person, you realize it is also connected to Koichi’s memory of being in town 18 months ago and that the twins thing Mei brought up is relevant.

I’m being purposely vague about it though, people can connect the dots if they want to (I never read the source material).

At thing point, the fun for me will be to see who dies, if the curse will me permanently lifted or not and whether they go on a murderous spree like a bunch of headless chicken.

7. Commenter says:

Akazawa isn’t the jealous type here…I think she’s blaming both Misaki and Sakakibara for breaking the charm. If Sakakibara listened to the many hints the class gave, the charm would still be in place. If Mei was more distant, the charm could also still be in place.

Since they did not, many classmates are dead which means she failed as a countermeasures organizer…and one of the dead classmates was probably a good friend of her. There must be a lot of resentment going on here.

• Scruffy says:

According to Mei the curse was active even before Koichi had arrived as Mei’s sister died in April. Mei and Koichi did not cause the curse to activate. However it is understandable Akazawa blames Mei.

• James says:

You were right. I went back and looked through the evidence. Akazawa might be a little bit of Yandere instead of tsundere. I can sense it now. She’s got the yandere vibes. This could get interesting.

• AidanAK47 says:

Oh no no no. Her anger is not understandable at all. There were plenty to times she could have told Koichi about the curse. There were plenty of times the class could have stopped him from talking to Mei and let him in on the story. Giving vague hints instead of outright saying it only served to make his curiosity grow.

In the end it’s not Mei’s fault at all. It’s because the class was retarded. Oh well it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. The curse would have continued.

• Scruffy says:

If she had outright said is she would have been dead, just like heart attack boy

• AidanAK47 says:

No she wouldn’t. Heart attack boy died because the curse was active. But she met Kouichi before the curse was active. Besides from what I heard there is nothing in the rules about not being able to tell others about it.

• Rio says:

But letting him in on the story would mean they’d have to tell him that he needs to ignore Mei. This would acknowledge Mei’s existance and therefore start the curse. It’s a catch-22 situation.

• tktym says:

But they had ignored Mei’s existence before koichi came to town and the curse activated ANYWAY before Koichi came. Becuase Akazawa didnt have her shit together, she didnt realize that the curse had already started. so really the shit is HER fault. Which is why I agree with Aidan, Akazawa ia a bitch lol, even if it was met’s fault or whatever, what the hell was apologizing gonna do to stop the curse? Shes just wasting time, and instead should have been doing what koichi had been doing. . .trying to find out what the hell is going on. She was surely aware of the guy who stopped the calamity, but she didnt go and talk to him to find out the info that koichi did and then ACT on it? What, was she too busy doing something more important than. . .oh TRYING TO NOT GET KILLED BY THE CURSE!? Akazawa in this ep was just really fking stupid. she even caused another kid to die by getting all bitchy and making the situation worse!

8. nrad says:

From the next preview or next 2 episodes, I just imagine a massacre leaving only 2 survivors. Felt like cliche to me.

9. RABUJOI says:

If Mei was present when Sakaki/Mochi/Teshi listened to the rest of the repaired tape, I wonder if she would have spoken up sooner about her ability, or if she actually needed to look at the photo to confirm what her eye was showing her. Chalk it up to bad timing?

That aside, I like how simple and plausible the solution to the calamity turned out to be: Kill the dead one. Simple in theory, not so simple in execution. There’s plenty of the class left alive, but nobody has escaped emotionally unscathed. The question is, how many more will die before Mei reveals the dead one and he or she is…dealt with?

10. skyhack says:

@Nic,
    Yeah, I don’t know the source material, either. After watching this episode, though, and relating it to things that happened early on, it’s the only conclusion I could come up with.

Now, as for Teshy’s “f-up”, I wonder if he just blurted what he learned from the tape to everyone else. That would be enough to get someone sharpening their nail file with a whetstone (In the preview – my money’s on that prim glasses girl), and have them go on a little rampage, trying to kill the “other”.

I can’t wait!

11. skyhack says:

I noticed that Mei has excellent vision through what should be a glass eye…

• Raggers says:

I saw that too! Confused me badly… I could have accepted a darkness able to only see life force, but with only the glass eye she saw Sakakibara and the room perfectly.

It makes sense if you think it’s magical, but then she obviously knew it worked (she could see using it). So it’s a sort of plothole.

Anyhow, the lack of reason is what worries me. What was so special about this suicide? And if that special thing isn’t related to Misaki’s eye (which I just realised might be her sister’s) then I’ve got a problem. Even if the reason is slightly half-hearted, there still needs to be one (for me at the least).

12. AidanAK47 says:

Alright, 100% sure of who’s the dead one now. Nice to see my initial assessment wasn’t too far off. But that’s just cheap. I mean god-damn cheap. I feel cheated.

dm00, even thought she is the non-existent girl that doesn’t mean she’s hated. Plus at this point the kids are desperate enough to believe prayed to gods is going to do something. I say they would have believed her out of desperation. And who knows? Maybe revealing the dead one is the key to stopping the curse? If the dead one realises they are dead that could stop everything. On that note she said she could tell when others are about to die so she could have warned those about to be killed by the curse. But she didn’t.

On another note, going on a school trip, when you have asthma, the class is being killed off by coincidental accidents and you don’t bring a spare inhaler.
    Just how stupid can someone be? I mean its practically common sense to bring a frigging spare!

• Scruffy says:

Mei said she could tell when people were sick. She didn’t say she could tell when people were about to die from the curse.

• AidanAK47 says:

I quote.

Kouichi: “You mean, you can tell when people are about to die?
        Mei: “It’s hard for you to believe, isn’t it?”

She mentioned illness and injury. If she can tell when people are about to die from such things then she could tell from other factors. Including accidents. It’s simple logic.

• Rio says:

Not necessarily. She mentioned seeing the colour in people who are dead, ill or injured. Someone who is ill or injured is different to a perfectly healthy person who might be about to have an accident.

13. skyhack says:

Akazawa’s dream actually brought episode 1 together for me. It’s not a dream, it’s an unaltered memory, and Sakakibara, who was in hospital clothes, was there all along. It makes his conversations with his father (who mentioned that Kouichi had been in Yomiyama a year and a half) and his grandfather (who asked if Kouichi was going back to the hospital, implying an extended stay) make sense. Kouichi said to his father that he’d only just started school, which didn’t surprise his father, lending more credence to the extended stay viewpoint.

It also give the curse a chance to get ahead of the countermeasures by manufacturing the “extra student” scenario, without actually bringing in a new student. In an unaltered Yomiyama, Kouichi’s release from the hospital and subsequent entry into the school would have been known in advance, being a matter of record.
    In light of all that, I’, tempted to think that Kouichi is the “Other”, but I’m still going with the teacher.

It’s too bad Grandpa doesn’t get much conversation time, because I think he’s actually unaffected by the memory alteration. His short bursts make me think his memory is intact, but his condition keeps him from being able to do much more than dwell on the past.
    I think his lamenting Ritsuko AND Reiko is pretty telling, as well.

The class photos were amusing, as everyone common to both photos has the exact same pose in both photos, including the one person who changed position to accomodate the shooting. Probably just studio economics driving that, but I can always use ammo for my theory!

I’ve rewatched much of the series, and there’s so much information, it overloads you.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Wicked
    (Saturday, Aug 1. 2015 01:10 AM)
    well, this place changed a lot. Gotta say, I’m not a fan of how they adapted GATE into an anime. It feels too decompressed. Manga did a better job at keeping the tension taut
  • ;(
    (Saturday, Aug 1. 2015 01:08 AM)
    Also I am not the blog, I’m just a poster… I really hope you have enough sense to tell the difference…
  • ;(
    (Saturday, Aug 1. 2015 01:07 AM)
    @Emo: you’re saying all that like that doesn’t fit your description to a T. Kinda sad actually…
    Well I guess now at least I gave you one more thing to get angry about so your day seems just a bit more active than your last.
  • ;(
    (Saturday, Aug 1. 2015 01:03 AM)
    I don’t think people are really expected to read it from the start anymore. I mean that’s probably why it stays popular in Japan considering people would have to be in their 20s at least to keep up from the start without reading hundreds of chapters just to keep up.
  • ;(
    (Saturday, Aug 1. 2015 01:00 AM)
    Well admittly comics don’t seem to be that easy to follow (don’t actually read comics despite liking a lot of DC and marvel media), but anyway it’s not like the other long-running shounens in terms of continuity and more like the long-running comedies like say Kochikoma.
  • ;(
    (Saturday, Aug 1. 2015 12:56 AM)
    If you don’t like it, it’s cool.
    If you don’t feel like watching a thing that still airs weekly that’s also cool.
    If you leave it because it’s long or far from ending, you’re really missing out for little reason. One Piece is like western comics, the characters and setting has been around for years but each saga comes as a standalone story and for the most part is directed at both veterans and newcomers.
  • jerkocaust
    (Saturday, Aug 1. 2015 12:35 AM)
    ;( tell me more about this world, oh anonymous anime fan on some minor anime blog who spends his days rotting at home watching anime, tell me more about this world you must know from the window of your computer monitor
  • AidanAK47
    (Friday, Jul 31. 2015 11:20 PM)
    ;(, It goes against my code. If I start something then I start at the start from the start otherwise I feel like I am missing something. I gave one pieces manga and anime a pretty fair shot. Made it up to that shark pirate guy and I can sort I see why people like it but I am really not keen on getting into something with no end in sight. Plus the art style really doesn’t work for me.
  • ;(
    (Friday, Jul 31. 2015 10:52 PM)
    If this world is so overcomplicated for you, you can just quit it. I won’t mind.
  • jerkocaust
    (Friday, Jul 31. 2015 10:36 PM)
    Lord Christ what an overcomplicated world i live in when someone like ;( needs an unnecessarily complicated reason for liking/hating a show. The explanation which, btw won’t change aidanak47’s opinion on the shonen garbage that is One Piece of Shit. We just dont like the show and forcing ourself to come at it from a different angle which is what you push is disingenuous and tiring.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There! – 04

Not much to talk about this episode as it was mainly set up to the next. The army’s reputation looks to have risen after driving off a dragon and looks to have caught the attention of our new female character. I was about to sigh when I saw the old anime staple of a bath […]

Gakkou Gurashi! – 03

Here it is, a flashback to the beginning of the outbreak. In a market as over saturated with zombie media as ours it’s rather hard to do this kind of story without treading on old ground. The start of the outbreak is the focal point of every beginning for a zombie movie. Rarely is it […]

Gangsta. – 04

I have said it before but these twilight characters rub me the wrong way. This group of superhuman individuals just sticks out like a sore thumb in a grounded setting such as this. They are a Shounen element in a otherwise Seinien show so when they come out and start leaping on rooftops this just […]

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There! – 03

This episode introduces what looks to be the main trio of girls for the cast. A elf girl, a mage girl and a Goth lolita girl with a giant axe. The Goth lolita, otherwise know as the Apostle of a death god, Rory is so far the most interesting of the bunch. Though mainly because […]

Gangsta. – 03

I really don’t understand Mangalobe’s thinking on this changes, for you see this episode was an adaption of the second chapter in the manga. I don’t see the reason why they felt that they needed to mix around the order of these episodes but I suppose it’s no harm done. To be honest I found […]

Gakkou Gurashi! – 02

So despite saying I would cover Chaos Dragon in my summer preview, I have decided to cover this instead. The reasons for this is simple, the obvious one being that Chaos Dragon is a poorly written, badly animated and jarring mess of an anime. But the main reason is that after the second episode […]

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There! – 02

This episode was certainly stronger than the first as Itami’s otaku tendencies were cut down and the focus was more on the conflict. The fight itself was brilliantly portrayed as we saw it mainly from the side of the other world. In the beginning when they were marching towards the army they were assured of […]

Gangsta. – 02

As this show continues the Black Lagoon vibes only get stronger but this episode did present an issue. Namely the supernaturally strong dog tag soldiers which can jump ten feet into the air and pull out road signs. In a series that at least started fairly set in reality these elements are somewhat odd though […]

Knights of Sidonia S2: Battle for Planet Nine review – 73/100

The second season of Sidonia makes a number of mistakes that a lot of second seasons do. That namely being that the anime slows down and introduces characters and conflicts that are often resolved in a undetermined to exist, third season. A new antagonist is introduced, whom does very little in the season and only […]

Little Witch Academia The Enchanted Parade – 81/100

I wonder when it was that a film being childish became a flaw. As a medium grows it takes steps to aim to mature itself and seek a more intellectual level of presenting entertainment. Animation did it as Anime aimed to explore terrontry that cartoons refuse to explore and video games only recently broke away […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks Review – 85/100

For a long time now this adaption has been the dreams of many a Fate fan with many believing it would never come to pass, but now that it is here is it everything that we dreamed? Short answer to this is no, long answer is nearly. I feel this show will have many divided […]

Shirobako Review – 80/100

When you see a harem anime and sigh as the breasts of the female lead jiggle with every step and wind that can flip a skirt it’s easy to forget that somewhere in Japan a group of people worked hard to get that jiggle right and draw each frame of animation. The hardships of the […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]