Posted by psgels on 12 March 2012 with categories: Another

This episode would have been totally AWESOME… if it weren’t for two specific things. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I had that feeling when the class photo of the dead Misaki was shown. I’ve been dying to see a picture of who he actually was, because all we know about him is that he’s some dead ghost who has been haunting the same class for more than 20 years. That was some awesome build-up there. The rest of this episode also had a really terrific atmosphere that really kept me on the edge of my seat.

But really, are you going to play the padding thing again in two consecutive episodes? This is the reason why I don’t rank Another among the best horror series. And don’t get me wrong: it is really good, but at these points it just tries too hard. The kinds of twists where right when something is about to be revealed something jumps up to break the tension completely misses the point of an anti-climax.

Also… Misaki knew who the ghost was? That sounds like pretty big information to conceal, isn’t it? I mean, I understand that she didn’t feel like telling her classmates after what they did to her, but she never mentioned this to Kouichi, someone who she has been very open with? I mean, she said that she preferred to conceal her eye in the class and all, but she sat in the back of the class: she should have had one point where she she found a good way to take a peak at the entire classroom (a test for example), so she knew who the bad guy was all along. The next few episodes had better offer a very good explanation for that.

And on the other hand, this episode did end with one heck of a cliff-hanger.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. ozonozo says:

FUCKIN SCARY.

2. Meeps says:

“Hi, i’m the female lead character. I’ve known all along who the ghost cursing all of you really is and who’s killing all of you and your families, but I just stayed silent because you were mean to me.”

…really? I want to like this show, I really do, but when it keeps throwing curve-balls like this, it just starts to really annoy me.It’s got a great idea and a great atmosphere, but when you get down to the details, it falls apart…

• Qwerty1 says:

It’s less likely she’s been withholding the information out of spite or anything than she simply didn’t know what to do with the information.

On top of that whats there to say anyone would have believed her? I know that the whole situation with the curse is weird to start off with but when the quiet girl in the back of the class suddenly says her glass eye can see dead people?

• dm00 says:

I agree with qwerty1 — no one would have believed her, even if anyone would have listened to “the non-existent girl” and what she had to say.

And, until they heard the tape, what would it matter? Misaki’s a little messed up, and she knows it. If someone is going to be shunned, she was more-or-less willing to accept the role. But revealing the ghost? Maybe that would result in everyone being killed.

I don’t think it’s padding things out, at all. I find the pacing to be fine.

New mystery: was there meaning in Akazawa’s dream?

3. Commenter says:

Actually, I think she didn’t believe it fully herself until she saw the picture with the original another.
    Secondly, even if she realized, there’s no point in revealing it. It would lead to panic and chaos, and she might be killed off for spoiling it considering how that went with the guy with the bad heart.

By the way, I’ve been watching parts of previous episodes. It’s interesting in that the first episode’s prologue section seems to contain many of the scenes of the deaths in the series. Or at least a hint of them. Also, certain parts of certain episodes have made me realize who the another is. Be warned.

• Scruffy says:

I think you’re right there. It wasn’t that she saw the picture that she was sure of her ability to discern the ‘another’. After all you have to consider that ALL of the class member are close to death.

4. Scruffy says:

Actually, if you take what Misaki says at face value with the curse starting in April not May, and the fact that at that point there was not a seating discrepancy then there is only one candidate for the ‘Another’. It all depends on whether her sister was part of the curse.

5. James says:

Did anyone else find Awasaki’s change of personality all of a sudden in this episode weird and out of place. Like all of a sudden, we have a jealous tsundere to deal with. I love the feeling of this entire anime, but to throw stuff like that in our faces is just wrong. I don’t know about you guys, but there is a place and time for tsunderes and harems, this isn’t the best place for one.

• Scruffy says:

She has always been like that. I don’t see it as a change in character. Her attitude to Mai has always been cold.

6. skyhack says:

Scruffy’s right. Only one candidate. I say it’s NOT a student. It’s a different kind of extra, and the student count was one too high on the first day of class.

Death throws a slider.

• Nic says:

Agreed there. If we accept that Mei’s sister was killed by the curse, the list of suspects for the Another is narrowed down to just 1 person.

More importantly, once you focus on that person, you realize it is also connected to Koichi’s memory of being in town 18 months ago and that the twins thing Mei brought up is relevant.

I’m being purposely vague about it though, people can connect the dots if they want to (I never read the source material).

At thing point, the fun for me will be to see who dies, if the curse will me permanently lifted or not and whether they go on a murderous spree like a bunch of headless chicken.

7. Commenter says:

Akazawa isn’t the jealous type here…I think she’s blaming both Misaki and Sakakibara for breaking the charm. If Sakakibara listened to the many hints the class gave, the charm would still be in place. If Mei was more distant, the charm could also still be in place.

Since they did not, many classmates are dead which means she failed as a countermeasures organizer…and one of the dead classmates was probably a good friend of her. There must be a lot of resentment going on here.

• Scruffy says:

According to Mei the curse was active even before Koichi had arrived as Mei’s sister died in April. Mei and Koichi did not cause the curse to activate. However it is understandable Akazawa blames Mei.

• James says:

You were right. I went back and looked through the evidence. Akazawa might be a little bit of Yandere instead of tsundere. I can sense it now. She’s got the yandere vibes. This could get interesting.

• AidanAK47 says:

Oh no no no. Her anger is not understandable at all. There were plenty to times she could have told Koichi about the curse. There were plenty of times the class could have stopped him from talking to Mei and let him in on the story. Giving vague hints instead of outright saying it only served to make his curiosity grow.

In the end it’s not Mei’s fault at all. It’s because the class was retarded. Oh well it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. The curse would have continued.

• Scruffy says:

If she had outright said is she would have been dead, just like heart attack boy

• AidanAK47 says:

No she wouldn’t. Heart attack boy died because the curse was active. But she met Kouichi before the curse was active. Besides from what I heard there is nothing in the rules about not being able to tell others about it.

• Rio says:

But letting him in on the story would mean they’d have to tell him that he needs to ignore Mei. This would acknowledge Mei’s existance and therefore start the curse. It’s a catch-22 situation.

• tktym says:

But they had ignored Mei’s existence before koichi came to town and the curse activated ANYWAY before Koichi came. Becuase Akazawa didnt have her shit together, she didnt realize that the curse had already started. so really the shit is HER fault. Which is why I agree with Aidan, Akazawa ia a bitch lol, even if it was met’s fault or whatever, what the hell was apologizing gonna do to stop the curse? Shes just wasting time, and instead should have been doing what koichi had been doing. . .trying to find out what the hell is going on. She was surely aware of the guy who stopped the calamity, but she didnt go and talk to him to find out the info that koichi did and then ACT on it? What, was she too busy doing something more important than. . .oh TRYING TO NOT GET KILLED BY THE CURSE!? Akazawa in this ep was just really fking stupid. she even caused another kid to die by getting all bitchy and making the situation worse!

8. nrad says:

From the next preview or next 2 episodes, I just imagine a massacre leaving only 2 survivors. Felt like cliche to me.

9. RABUJOI says:

If Mei was present when Sakaki/Mochi/Teshi listened to the rest of the repaired tape, I wonder if she would have spoken up sooner about her ability, or if she actually needed to look at the photo to confirm what her eye was showing her. Chalk it up to bad timing?

That aside, I like how simple and plausible the solution to the calamity turned out to be: Kill the dead one. Simple in theory, not so simple in execution. There’s plenty of the class left alive, but nobody has escaped emotionally unscathed. The question is, how many more will die before Mei reveals the dead one and he or she is…dealt with?

10. skyhack says:

@Nic,
    Yeah, I don’t know the source material, either. After watching this episode, though, and relating it to things that happened early on, it’s the only conclusion I could come up with.

Now, as for Teshy’s “f-up”, I wonder if he just blurted what he learned from the tape to everyone else. That would be enough to get someone sharpening their nail file with a whetstone (In the preview – my money’s on that prim glasses girl), and have them go on a little rampage, trying to kill the “other”.

I can’t wait!

11. skyhack says:

I noticed that Mei has excellent vision through what should be a glass eye…

• Raggers says:

I saw that too! Confused me badly… I could have accepted a darkness able to only see life force, but with only the glass eye she saw Sakakibara and the room perfectly.

It makes sense if you think it’s magical, but then she obviously knew it worked (she could see using it). So it’s a sort of plothole.

Anyhow, the lack of reason is what worries me. What was so special about this suicide? And if that special thing isn’t related to Misaki’s eye (which I just realised might be her sister’s) then I’ve got a problem. Even if the reason is slightly half-hearted, there still needs to be one (for me at the least).

12. AidanAK47 says:

Alright, 100% sure of who’s the dead one now. Nice to see my initial assessment wasn’t too far off. But that’s just cheap. I mean god-damn cheap. I feel cheated.

dm00, even thought she is the non-existent girl that doesn’t mean she’s hated. Plus at this point the kids are desperate enough to believe prayed to gods is going to do something. I say they would have believed her out of desperation. And who knows? Maybe revealing the dead one is the key to stopping the curse? If the dead one realises they are dead that could stop everything. On that note she said she could tell when others are about to die so she could have warned those about to be killed by the curse. But she didn’t.

On another note, going on a school trip, when you have asthma, the class is being killed off by coincidental accidents and you don’t bring a spare inhaler.
    Just how stupid can someone be? I mean its practically common sense to bring a frigging spare!

• Scruffy says:

Mei said she could tell when people were sick. She didn’t say she could tell when people were about to die from the curse.

• AidanAK47 says:

I quote.

Kouichi: “You mean, you can tell when people are about to die?
        Mei: “It’s hard for you to believe, isn’t it?”

She mentioned illness and injury. If she can tell when people are about to die from such things then she could tell from other factors. Including accidents. It’s simple logic.

• Rio says:

Not necessarily. She mentioned seeing the colour in people who are dead, ill or injured. Someone who is ill or injured is different to a perfectly healthy person who might be about to have an accident.

13. skyhack says:

Akazawa’s dream actually brought episode 1 together for me. It’s not a dream, it’s an unaltered memory, and Sakakibara, who was in hospital clothes, was there all along. It makes his conversations with his father (who mentioned that Kouichi had been in Yomiyama a year and a half) and his grandfather (who asked if Kouichi was going back to the hospital, implying an extended stay) make sense. Kouichi said to his father that he’d only just started school, which didn’t surprise his father, lending more credence to the extended stay viewpoint.

It also give the curse a chance to get ahead of the countermeasures by manufacturing the “extra student” scenario, without actually bringing in a new student. In an unaltered Yomiyama, Kouichi’s release from the hospital and subsequent entry into the school would have been known in advance, being a matter of record.
    In light of all that, I’, tempted to think that Kouichi is the “Other”, but I’m still going with the teacher.

It’s too bad Grandpa doesn’t get much conversation time, because I think he’s actually unaffected by the memory alteration. His short bursts make me think his memory is intact, but his condition keeps him from being able to do much more than dwell on the past.
    I think his lamenting Ritsuko AND Reiko is pretty telling, as well.

The class photos were amusing, as everyone common to both photos has the exact same pose in both photos, including the one person who changed position to accomodate the shooting. Probably just studio economics driving that, but I can always use ammo for my theory!

I’ve rewatched much of the series, and there’s so much information, it overloads you.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 01:33 AM)
    @Ninja: Yeah I know, that’s why I mentioned that the $7400 was only for a measly State University. Those 20k a semester spots are probably 31k or higher for international students.
  • ninjarealist
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:52 AM)
    @Bam Some universities charge in the neighbourhood of $20K a semester for out-of state tuition.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:37 AM)
    If you guys think out-of-state tuition is bad then you should look at the rate international students have to pay. My Japanese ex paid $7400 a semester for Sacramneto State. They pretty much robbed her out of all she had saved up.
  • ninjarealist
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:21 AM)
    @K-Off Yeah, out-of-state tuition is as expensive as a liberal arts college at most places.
  • k-off
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:17 AM)
    @Bam Ha, good one.
  • k-off
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:14 AM)
    @ninja In my case, I’m getting an out-of-state higher education, so I’m fucked if I don’t get that position in the FTC next August. I’ll have to wait another year for a window of opportunity and by then, who knows if I’m going to be stuck in some corporation.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:09 AM)
    I never joined a frat but I’m like an honorary member of bunch of them since I can procure pretty much whatever they are looking for so I get to party with all of them.
    My ancestors have shed too much Greek blood to me to don their banners.
  • ninjarealist
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:02 AM)
    I think the main issue with liberal arts colleges is that a degree from a liberal arts college isn’t much better or worse than a degree from a public university, and the cost of attending a liberal arts college is much higher for a full tuition payer. It’s just not worth it if you’re paying full tuition.
  • ninjarealist
    (Sunday, Oct 26. 2014 12:00 AM)
    @K-Off I mean you can get many of the same degrees that you would get at a normal University at a Liberal Arts School. So I think the question of what degree you get is important whether you’re at a liberal arts college or a university. It’s not like the same degree from a liberal arts college is less valuable than one from a university. It just depends on the school and depends upon the individual.
  • k-off
    (Saturday, Oct 25. 2014 11:46 PM)
    @ninja I guess it really depends, but in my opinion, one has much less human capital in liberal arts than someone who specializes in an academic field, for example. Especially with liberal arts, it’s a matter of constantly adding to your human capital.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Akatsuki no Yona – 03

Hak and Yona flee Soo-Won’s men, but Yona’s mental and physical condition continue to deteriorate. Yona and Hak are both haunted by memories from the past. This was easily the best episode in the series so far. Whereas the first two episodes primarily took place in the present or the future, this episode is mostly spent in […]

Grisaia no Kajitsu – 03

This isn’t looking good. Let me explain, Grisaia has a somewhat nakige visual novel approach. Meaning that it has a comedic relatively plotless first half, followed by a tragic heroine backstory related story arc. Notable examples of this is any Key visual novel anime adaption you can think of. So for the first half we […]

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis- 03

Okay, so this episode didn’t focus on Leone and Amira’s adventure. Instead, it focuses on building Kaisar’s character and it does so a bit awkwardly. This episode takes Kaisar and puts him into an overly bombastic situation in order to tell us about Kaisar’s past family problems, but it was so out of tone from […]

Gugure! Kokkuri-San- 03

This show has a great cast, but some chinks in the armor are starting to appear in the comedy. So far, this anime seems to lack a consistent tone, which shows through just how hit-and-miss the comedy is. It attempts to mix elements of light and dark comedy along with slice-of-life and tries to excel in all three […]

Psycho Pass 2 – 02

Episode two continues right where episode one left off and progresses about how you might have guessed. Akane chases the mysterious villain pulling the strings, getting only cryptic responses from Kitazawa. Shimotsuki confronts Akane with her misgivings about Akane’s handling of the arrest. And we finally get some subtle hints towards Kougami’s existence and how his disappearance might […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 02

The stage is set, the actors are in place and the curtain is rising. So I can say this episode’s title was certainly apt. Unfortunately this week we have no bombastic fight scene to ogle and instead we get a heavy dose of info dumping. This is not the most exciting of episodes but the […]

Grisaia no Kajitsu – 02

The grisaia visual novel was by no means perfect. In fact if I was to summarize it as concisely as possible I would deem it a mixed bag. Some great moments but quite a number of bad storytelling decisions. Still there was hope for this anime adaption. After all the Steins Gate adaption managed to […]

Parasyte-the Maxim- 02

Before I continue reviewing this anime, let me put up a disclaimer: I will be discussing the anime of Parasyte, not the manga. If you want to talk about spoilers, I recommend you go to a site that will talk about those things. Don’t be an ass and discuss spoilers down in the comments, because […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Grisaia no Kajitsu, Trinity Seven and Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de

Grisaia no Kajitsu Short Synopsis: Our protagonist joins a school that has five troubled girls in attendance. AidanAK47’s impression: Grisaia has all the elements to cause many to write it off as a typical harem anime. Protagonist who only wants a ordinary life? Check. Joins school with several female beauties? Check. Panty shots? Sigh…check. The […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]

Clipboard04

Silver Spoon Review – 86/100

When Noitamina started airing two series per season, it was amazing. It’s a timeslot that on average tends to be aimed at a much older audience than usual, and having two series with the same mentality definitely helped to bring more diversity to anime overall. Unfortunately it’s a schedule that could not be kept up […]

Clipboard07

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z Review – 82,5/100

Reviewing a comedy sequel usually is quite simple: in most cases it just drops the bomb and runs out of inspiration, and in rare cases it actually manages to stay hilarious. The tricky thing with these kinds of series is that you need to remain funny, and you need to have the inspiration for that. […]

Clipboard05

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Review – 81/100

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet tells the storyline of a planet that is completely submerged, with only giant ships residing on the surface, while one of those ships gets visited by this guy and his AI-mecha from this very technologically advanced civilization. Yes, this show is about world building. What this show managed to do […]