Posted by psgels on 20 March 2012 with categories: Another

This episode… just went all out. Now that everyone knows that the dead student needs to die, this show just descends into one giant string of murders, with the ghost helping a little bit here and there. Holy crap, this was intense.

While the series has its problems, with this I do have to say that aside from perhaps Milky Holmes and Natsume Yuujinchou (both sequels), Another stands as my favorite Winter Season so far, because of how interesting it made its own plot. The progression so far was very creative, it knows how to use mystery really well, and now that things are spiraling out of control it’s really turning into very good horror here.

Problems in this episode were the abundance of overblown facial expressions, along with that fire in the kitchen. I’m no physics major, but I’m very sure that fire doesn’t work that way. Of course, it’s possible to build up an explosion and all, but that’s only assuming that the pressure can’t escape. While this is plausible in a new building, the hotel they were in seemed rather old. Plus, with a giant fire burning everywhere I’m not sure why there weren’t any holes burnt into the walls at some point. Or why nobody could hear an entire dinner room on freaking fire.

But yeah, the gore was good, but what really made this episode was the psychological horror of everyone just going crazy. This entire episode made use of that by using the entire class for that. One point of criticism would be that the series should have focused more on each of these people, because it’s pretty obvious who the ghost is right now by the logic of that 1) it has to be a named character and 2) it has to be someone who stays into the background, but for that you’d need a 24 episode series.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. pat says:

The explosion is called backdraft and while exaggerated, it is physically possible.

2. Baldogg says:

Whether it would be better as a 2 cour/ 24 or 26 episode or 1 cour/ 12 or 13 episode anime, they did not waste any episode for this one. I really enjoyed the students’ descent to madness. When Takako played the tape, that was pure icing on cake. Watching Another was a sweet ride for me. Wonder how it’s gonna end.

3. Dynellen says:

The source material is some 600 pages so there really wouldn’t be enough material for 2 cours. But anyways it was a very enjoyable episode, though maybe a bit over the top at times. The whole class going into insane zombie mode just because of what one girl said over the radio felt a bit forced.

4. chounokoe says:

I think it wouldn’t have played out to the anime’s advantage had they turned this into a 2 cour series. That would’ve played out as pretty much a 1:1 adaptation of the source material and could have rendered some portions pretty boring.
    Everything necessary was basically in the anime (it often used showing instead of telling quite well) the only thing dragging it down were some strange directing decisions. It’s not like with Mouryou no Hako where they basically cut away half of the book to make the plot fit.

5. tktym says:

Damn, I watched this episode in the freakin dark! . . .I usually hate gore in horror stuff but this episode did it Right. . .

How did the glasses chick die, I was a bit confused. . .it looked like when she got pulled up by the thing that caught her neck, that it was crushing her head and splattering her brains all over Mei lol. . .

what a fitting end for the glasses chick (I did not like her at all…)

6. anb says:

I agree with Pat about the fire. Fire can be pretty vicious and backdraft is clearly a real possibility. Btw, this series is simply awesome.

7. Elly says:

Yeah. Agree with the many people above. If this had been 2 cour, I guess it wouldn’t be as well executed as
    The one now. It’d probably have some fillers in between but who knows. Reason why i usually am worried about 2-cour series is mostly due to the fillers :/
    But heck, Another has been awesome so far and I really hope the series will end well, even though I wonder how they are gonna stuff everything in one episode. I for one applaud the director of this series. ;)

8. RABUJOI says:

If you’re going to keep a secret from the class do a better job of preserving it. Sakaki & Co. had a choice last week: destroy that infernal tape, or play it for the class in a controlled situation, like the dining hall earlier that night.

Instead, they did neither; the tape fell into the wrong hands at the wrong time, and boom…High School Blood Festival.

9. Rider says:

“Backdraft: this is a classic backdraft. I am a firefighter, but fortunately have not suffered one of these myself. You can tell its a backdraft because of the way the fire is “breathing”, the smoke appearing and disappearing. The fire doesn’t have enough oxygen to burn, but is smoldering, heating up to a few thousand degrees. It forces the smoke out then sucks it back in as it tries to get oxygen. Then someone has opened a door or broken a window and kaboom – to use the technical term.”

Example of a real life backdraft: http://www.break.com/index/fire_causes_major_backdraft.html

10. Litho says:

Gimmicky, but good.

11. starry says:

Aw yeah this episode was awesome indeed. Even with the unintended comedy with the facial expressions and a few logic holes, it didn’t matter cause it was fun to watch from beginning to end.

12. Loz says:

So the show started off as ‘Final Destination’, now its thrown in ‘Battle Royal’ into the mix. Hohoho, Fun stuff.

Like I already said in the shout box, I must have really enjoyed this episode because i was laughing most of the way through.

… is that what you call unintended serious humour?

• KaZuHiRo says:

Exactly my thoughts. Now they should really do a Battle Royale anime – now that would be fantastic!

• imredjimmy says:

I know, I’m kind of surprise they never tried one, I mean, they did do a couple of (terrible) movies afterall. They should adapt the manga, now that was epic! Give it something like 52 episodes and it would be perfect! Battle Royale is one of my favourite manga, it’s just so gory and sad :D

• KaZuHiRo says:

Liar Game and Bloody Monday should get adaptations too! But the Battle Royale anime would be an icing on the cake!

13. I.Watch.Moose says:

good old backdraft – ok it shouldn’t be so big if there is still fire, which means there is still fuel to support the reaction
    on the other side he shouldn’t be able to open those doors as knob would be rather hot

but that hanging that was total exaggeration

14. kero says:

awesome episode to watch, I loved how the deaths just kept piling on and how some of the characters went batshit crazy there.

One thing that annoys the hell out of me is that Mei Misaki knows who the killer is, and throughout the whole thing, doesn’t think about blurting it out or explaining herself. And her face just remains stoic throughout.

The only way i can make this believable is think of her as having some kind of mental condition that means she is unable to pull any kind of facial expression.

Anwyays awesome horror and gore, and loved the variety in deaths. I knew as soon as the tape played in 10 where he said you have to kill the ghost, that something like this would happened, but it was done very well.

15. AidanAK47 says:

The plot holes are becoming numerous now. Playing a small part of a tape and saying “this girl is dead because she didn’t have an eyepatch when she was younger” and not to mention saying it like a delirious psychopath is enough to turn students into mindless zombies that chant.
    The dining hall was on fire and not only did nobody notice but isn’t there normally smoke? The door wasn’t completely closed, there should have been smoke bellowing out of it.
    Misaki, staying completely stoic will students are trying to kill you is only making things worse! And could you at least try to say “I am not the dead one.” Or throw out a small explanation of your cousin. Sure they probably won’t believe it but it doesn’t hurt to try. And picking up a weapon after someone dies in front of you… Christ.. Are you trying to get yourself killed?
    Plus shouldn’t the Countermeasure girl have noticed that her friend was strangled instead of stabbed?
    It would have been nice to see that girl displaying psychotic tendencies instead of making her go crazy off-screen.
    Does rigor mortis set in fast enough to make your legs still bent when you hit your head on the pavement?

You know what? Feck it. I shall treat this like Mirai Nikki. Turn off brain. Enjoy. It is good mindless fun when you get down to it.

16. skyhack says:

Well, every one of my predictions pretty much went tango uniform.

Still, fun watch.

17. Rio says:

Upon noticing the fire and realising that the alarm doesn’t work, why didn’t Koichi immediately run through the building shouting “FIRE! FIRE IN THE DINING ROOM!”?

• AidanAK47 says:

Or he could announce it from the speakers like the girl did with the tape. Considering it only took her a minute to get to the announcement room from the main hall it couldn’t have been too far away.

18. Pax says:

Just as Mei was about to mention who the dead student is, Teshigawara urgently enters the room. The plot progresses by making almost everyone go mad. Wow talk about bad storytelling. Many times this episode made me laugh. And this is actually one of the better anime from the winter season.

This anime kinda reminded me of Shiki at times, but there they had more time to develop the characters, here I don’t care much for most of the characters since I don’t know them.

19. confused otaku says:

i agree that this episode is ridiculous …

I push him and he’s not moving .. but maybe he’s still alive? let’s search him leisurely and slowly …

Someone’s stabbed? no big deal …

The dinning room is on fire and the manager died? Let’s tell everyone one by one personally and privately in their room …

the situation is in chaos, but let’s not call the police lol ..

seems like no one take death and fire accident seriously in this episode >.<

the way some character died is .. kinda stoopid too .. yoga position lol?

I decided to read the manga, so far it's better than the anime ( still waiting for chapter 19 to be translated now

20. Stars says:

Christ! This was complete insanity. I was shivering throughout this episode.

• Stars says:

Didn’t want to wait between episodes when it was airing so I just picked it back up now… and WOW. I don’t know who the dead person is though, since I can chain the episodes without having time to sit back and think.
      You said it in an earlier review ep Psgels (I think the beach episode?) but it’s making me crazy with all the red herrings, I’m jumping at everything.

21. eek_a_spider says:

Seriously, fire generates a LOT of carbon dioxide and usually some monoxide (not to mention HEAT), you can’t just go walking around a house that’s fully engulfed in fire. Nobody seems to give a crap about the fire. People are acting like “oh, the house is on fire, that’s nice.” Maybe it’s a Japanese thing, I don’t know. Most of the characters that died in this anime would have probably died on their own even without the help of the “incident” seeing how they were living.

People saying this is scary… riiight. Go watch Ghost Hunt (anidb a4564, ep18-21, might need to watch ep01 first to know who’s who) and then come back saying this is genuinely scary.

Just finished Rage of Bahamut and I have to say I didn't expect an emotional climax. Also Rita is the best in show here. But really I don't see the prospect of sequel, especially a 24-episodes one.
Evidently so. That still feels just wrong. He's sort of her father. Ehhhh
"I am a slave to my own blood" -Konatsu.
Aldnoah needed actually interesting characters and character arcs instead of boring assholes. Why does it need more time on the lore when it's just generic scifi jib
One minor thing that baffled me beside *that* in Rakugo was they don't show Konatsu's rakugo in the end. It makes more sense if we can see her perform, but I understand that the show have to put new rakugo material and that was impposible.
@Aidan: I think *that twist* is sweet (not). Points for the show for having a balls to address that, but...
And that's Rakugo finished. A delayed finale but non the less a satisfying one....Though on the matter of *that* I am going full head canon and pretending it didn't happen. Because HELL FUCKING NO.
HelghastKillzone
Troyca's Aldnoah.Zero was 24 eps long but it really needed 50 to flesh out concepts and lore.
HelghastKillzone
*Virgin Soul
HelghastKillzone
Apparently, Virgin is going to be 24 episodes and Re:creators is 22 eps long. I don't know how to feel about that.
Catching up with Rage of Bahamoth myself. Say I really enjoy what I see so far. Characters are its weakest part and pacing is uneven, but everything else work quite well
... Feherlofia is Hungarian one. But I have a really fond feeling towards Soviet and those ex-communist animation. Movies as well
@Kaiser: yep, know both of them. Actually
@Topgavin: wuah your love with Madoka. I was like watching that show for 3 times, but Rebellion just once. I still think that Rebellion adds up to the series narratively. Shaft (be themselves) put a lots of extra background details to the Bluray version, so I'm sure you can't go wrong watching Madoka on Bluray.
Guess I'm just in the mood for some comfycore anime. =)
There's really stuff I need to get round to watching like alderman and chain chronicle, giving utawerumono's s2 another chance, watching those dumb old golgo ovas, catching up on Shamo and city hunter where I left off.
@Mario: If you are looking for something to review for the world animation project, I recommend Fehérlófia , a Soviet era psychadelic folktale animation. Also look into the available short animations by Alexander Petrov (he uses a style of animation which mixes oil painting on glass).
Konstantinos Travlos
Finished watching Chain Chronicle :Light of Hacchetias (TV version). While not something to write home about it was not bad. It did a tried old recipe well.
@SuperMario, we dont have to, but its fun to try and pinpoint the real-world timeline to the shows timeline.

@Topgavin, oh yeah. Madoka is amazing.
Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100