Posted by psgels on 26 March 2012 with categories: Another

You know what? This is a season of very solid endings (save for Guilty Crown perhaps, but screw that show). I realized that when Another’s ending was the first ending that didn’t live up to my expectations. Oh, it was still good and i liked the closure it gave, but my expectations of this episode were high, and this episode pulled a few things that tugged on my suspense of disbelief.

The closure that was given was very solid though. To be honest, I did not consider Reiko being the ghost being a possibility. Technically she isn’t a student, But I can accept the logic of the ghost being a bit creative. This episode also didn’t really solve the calamity, it only delayed the killings for another year. I don’t mind that either. This is no story about exorcists, it’s about a bunch of teenagers trying to survive. I also liked the direction of this episode. The faces were a bit silly t times, but it nevertheless was good suspense, the action scenes were well directed and shot, and the scene with the revelation of the ghost was also quite creative.

Still, my knowledge about fire kept poking my suspense of disbelief whenever the characters were in the house: what happened to the smoke? I mean, a lot of victims of house fires don’t die because of fire, but because they inhale too much smoke. I can buy scenes with characters running through fire as fast as they can, but the characters in this episode casually walked around a burning building while feeling perfectly fine. In fact, acknowledging the fire could have lead to an interesting extra threat to this episode.

My big issue with this ending is its lack of meaning, though. I’m still not exactly sure what happened here, with the ghost breaking his own rules and suddenly deciding to try and eliminate every single member of the class with random lightning bolts, falling pillars, chandeliers and even trying to kill the dead student… for some strange reason. The people who went crazy were also nice and all, but they would have been even nicer if they actually had been fleshed out a bit. Because of that they also lacked the impact they could have had. And who on earth was that murdering maid?

And then Misaki suddenly revealed that she witnessed Meiko being killed. Of all the places she could have been. The creators could have done an epilogue that explained that: “we later found out that Meiko had been killed when.. blah blah et cetera”. Also, regarding the dolls of the first episode: what was their point again?

Overall, I think I liked Blood-C slightly more over Another (yes, I liked that show). It took much longer to get going, but in the end I liked how bold it was with its mystery, and how everything came together at the end. Another doesn’t necessarily have that ending where everything comes together, but instead it’s the journey that made it memorable, trying to figure out a way how to stop people dying the most bizarre deaths. It tried a bit too hard at times, but overall I’d rank this in the top five shows of the Winter 2012 season..

A review will be posted tomorrow, because it’s too late now (where I am anyway). Why on earth do four series decide to end all at the same bloody time?
Rating: *+ (Great)

1. victor says:

This ending let me down. What’s the explanation for Misaki’s supernatural hability? There is no explanation, Misaki is just a – still – misterious girl and we just have to accept that. There should have been some explanation, she (or her mother) had to be connected to 3rd class mistery origin somehow. These two misteries have to be connected, otherwise this is way too convenient and deus machine-like. Also, I don’t buy that “the important is the journey, not the destination”, this show should have been about how a group of the 3rd class definitely stopped the calamity for ever, not a more or less random ocurrence of the loop. I enjoyed this series a lot anyway.

• Sei says:

I think it explained somewhere that it is because her twin was dead, or something, she starts to see the color of death because she herself is “near to death” in that sense? A bit like Kara no kyoukai.

About the doll metaphor, psgel, I think it is for Mei character. She felt herself to be the replacement of something, and did not live for herself. That’s why she remained so passive after all abuse.

• victor says:

I don’t remember that. I remember that her twin was the first victim of the calamity. Misaki had that fake eye before that. But you’re probably right.
        I thought that the doll metaphor was just a reference to Rozen Maiden, since there are two characters that have the exact eyes as Misaki in that series (can’t remember their names, but they were siblings) and they were dolls. The opening for Rozen Maiden was also by the same artist.

• joojoobees says:

I think she can see death because she has a doll eye. This is a cautionary tale: Don’t replace your real eyes with doll eyes, or you will see dead people.

2. Qwerty1 says:

Major ball drop on the final scene in the graveyard.

The Manga had the two of them in casual clothes, Mei wearing a sun dress. They’ve been setting up that dress in the credits since the beginning and instead they have them in their school uniforms…

3. Baron says:

The build up to the climax was good but I agree that something just didn’t click. I still got a sense of closure from the ending but there were some ridiculous things that actually made me laugh, such as Kouichi wandering haplessly around the building without suffering smoke inhalation and the incredibly accurate lightning strikes which for some reason set off a series of chain explosions in the building. I know it is supposed to be supernatural but it just seems a tad over the top. Still, it was good suspense. I totally didn’t see the twist with Reiko Sensei coming.

4. Bob Dole says:

Don’t care about the ending or anything. I can deal with it. What I CAN’T deal with is. WHO THE HELL KILLED REIKO 1.5 YEARS AGO?! Was it Sakakibara? His dad? He was supposedly there back then, according to both his dad and Akazawa.

In which case, that means Sakakibara is a murderer. A crazy one.

Also, I’m kind of curious why no one cares about the events of 1.5 years ago. Unless, I missed something.

• Nautical says:

I think it was just someone who somewhat resembled Sakakibara, not Sakakibara himself. When Akazawa first me Sakakibara, he was in the town for Reiko’s funeral. (Hence why he also mentions how he just lost someone important to him.) He knew Reiko had died, but his memories were erased of her death because of the calamity.
      But yeah, it still felt a bit out of place to have someone completely random be Reiko’s murderer. This series connected all its bits and pieces pretty well, but it did both me a bit that the murderer was out of the blue.

• skyhack says:

Reiko was killed by a random psycho class 3 student, more than likely. Maybe she,as the assistant teacher (why would you assign an assistant teacher to a cursed class, anyway), spurned the poor sap’s crush on her or something.

Plenty of class 3 psychos to go around (could that be a meme?).

He could’ve even been the “Other” for that year, since they seem to be as susceptible to the calamity as the rest.

PA Works made this nearly impossible to “get” without that last episode. Reiko = Mikami sensei would have made too obvious, though.

5. skyhack says:

I had predicted at separate times both Reiko and Mikami, but I had no idea that they were the same person. Nice troll, PA Works!

I enjoyed this show a lot, a bit over the top at times, put you have to put aside some amount of reason when watching a show with supernatural aspects.

Baron’s right about the smoke, as well, and not just with Kouichi. It seemed every student had somehow decided that it was perfectly normal to show no sense of urgency while moving through a burning building, unless some psychopath was chasing them.

• tktym says:

THIS! I mean what the hell, the whole building is on fire and some students dont even notice! lol then Koichi GOES BACK INTO the burning building. . .wtf! I love this show to bits but those parts and the overkill-ing of all the students made me laugh a lot! ep 12 was definitely the weaker ending ep of the season :(

somethings that I wondered about: uh. . . so how are they gonna solve the calamity next year? I mean this class got kind of “lucky” that they had someone who could see dead people. . .but what about next year???
      and how are they gonna solve the calamity for good!!!???
      but yeah, people walking through a building like its nothing, was pretty stupid haha.

• tktym says:

OH yeah, so. . .why did the guy say only 7 people had died. . .I clearly remember like only 5 or 6 people surviving. . .so ….yeah wth?

6. joojoobees says:

I don’t think they ever explained how or why the ghost was killing either. Supposedly the ghost didn’t realize she was dead, so why kill? Also, how do ghosts call down lightning?

7. Ellamae says:

The business about wandering around and standing and conversing in burning buildings happens A LOT in anime and it has always, always bothered me. Yes, in real life smoke inhalation would kill you and your own sense of self preservation would make you jump out of windows to escape fire, but not in the anime world. Something about the raging flames as backdrop seems to intrigue anime directors, I don’t know.

But I am reading this manga in scans on the on the web and hope they will better explain things. There are scenes where the young man has bad feelings in the house when talking to Reiko and is trying hard to recall “something” about a year ago so the foreshadowing is better. Hopefully it’ll explain her murder a little more clearly as well.

• skyhack says:

That statement about the burning buildings and jumping out is certainly correct.

Way back in the late 70’s (or early 80’s), I remember watching a live news feed on TV where a skyscraper was on fire.

There was a beauty salon on like the 40th floor, and the window to it was in full view of the camera. They even had a parabolic microphone pointed at the window, so you could hear what was taking place. One by one, the women in the salon chose to fall 40 stories rather than be burned to death.

On live national TV.

It was the most frightening thing I’d ever seen, as well as being both riveting and repulsive. I can picture that grainy video in my mind to this day.

It still freaks me out when I think about it.

8. Cholisose says:

“I’m still not exactly sure what happened here, with the ghost breaking his own rules and suddenly deciding to try and eliminate every single member of the class with random lightning bolts, falling pillars, chandeliers and even trying to kill the dead student… for some strange reason.”
    It seems the calamity strikes hardest when students are trying to put an end to it. This was made clear when the whole class prayed at the shrine back in 1983, and suddenly two more of them were immediately killed off. The fact that nearly the entire class was all focused on trying to kill the dead extra shifted the calamity to All Hell Breaks Loose Mode.
    Which apparently the dead extra herself was not 100% immune to, since there are still random variables at play. Plus, it was already made clear that it is possible for the dead extra to be killed.

“And who on earth was that murdering maid?”
    They said in this episode that the lodge owners were the grandparents of Takabayashi (the freckled boy who had the sudden heart attack halfway through the series). Chibiki (the librarian) said they had suffered emotional trauma after the boy’s death, so I guess the lodge lady decided to have her revenge on all of class 3.

“Also, regarding the dolls of the first episode: what was their point again?”
    It’s just symbolism for Mei’s situation at the start of the series. Like a doll, she could exist in the fact she was there, but she couldn’t live like an actual human being. The two dolls joined together were an allusion to Mei and her twin Misaki, and then you can glean meaning from the doll that looked like Mei as well (eg Mei’s not the real daughter–the stillborn child was). I don’t think they’re meant to be a huge plot element.

Another definitely had its share of unanswered questions though, as have been pointed out in other comments already. I really wished the series would end a bit more… thoroughly. The main mystery was solved, but I felt like we needed something more revealed for our main two characters, Kouichi and Mei. This may be largely stemming from my wish that they could have been developed more, though. =/
    Overall it was an exciting, engaging series–enough that I’d call it an excellent horror mystery… But it’s not quite the groundbreaking series I was hoping it’d be.
    I’d be interested in reading the book, if it’s ever translated into English. (If only light novels were more popular…)

9. Rumana says:

I heard there will be an OVA for this series which will be aired in may 2012. Maybe you’ll get your answer there.

10. skyhack says:

I guess I should read the novel. Acck. It’s probably got a TON of Kanji.

11. Rachnid says:

Some people seem to have the idea that the dead person is deliberately killing off people, but from what I understand the dead person is just a piece of the puzzle. They themselves don’t know that they are dead and has the same knowledge of everything everyone else does, except fake memories and stuff like that.

12. troy says:

exatly at least in the manga it was explained plainly that it is simply a curse. The dead one does not know that he is dead, he does not do anythig, by his very exisstence in the living world where he does not belong he places whole of the class and it’s relatives in a state “closer to death” meaning that as long as he is there they are prone to die.

13. tktym says:

so apparently there is some source material, so I went on a difrerent forum and found some minor differences between the source material and anime: Though most people won’t go to this thread until the anime is over I made a list of what is different between the anime and the original novel so far. I found some of the changes good, some bad…I’m still pretty excited to see how they will pull off the very end. If anybody who has read the novel noticed any further differences I’d be interested if I missed some (I have that feeling I did)…or maybe anybody has an opinion about the changes XD
    Spoiler for differences novel to anime:

The two neighbouring areas Yūmigaoka and Asamidai are mentioned, explaining that the names seem to refer to the beauty of the places in different times of the day. Asami (朝見) Yūmi (夕見) and Yomi (夜見) being morning-view, evening-view and night-view respectively.
    Kōichi drinks coffee from the very beginning (but remarks that Reiko drinks it black)
    Reiko tells one of the 7 ghost stories of Yomi North:
    “Well then I tell you this one, which was by the way the first I heard back then.“
    And so Reiko began to narrate that one ghost story sorrounding the animal stable behind the gym.
    One morning all the bunnies and guinea pigs had vanished from their stable. The door had been destroyed and inside were huge ammounts of blood. The police was called for investigation and it became a huge fuss, but not one of the animals was everr found and they never found out who did it. The stables were torn down after that, but apparently there were reports of seeing the blood-smeared bunnies and guinea pigs (maybe their ghosts?) on that site.
    “But that story has a strange addition to it.“, continued Reiko with a serious face.
    “When the police tested the blood samples they had found at the scene, it turned out not to be bunny or guinea pig blood at all. It was human blood. It was bloodtype AB negative*…“

*AB negative (or all negative bloodtypes) are thought to be very rare in Japan and it therefore hints toward a strange and peculiar person.
    Ritsuko explains more about the class rules:

rule #1: If you go out onto the roof and you hear the crows cry out, you have to reenter with your left foot first.
    rule #2: After entering the 3rd grade of middle school, you may never fall down on the hill road outside of the back gate.
    rule #3: You must always follow the decisions of your class.

Akazawa Izumi is not part of the welcoming committee visiting Kōichi in the hospital. She is absent during those days and was thus unable to perform her duties as head of countermeassures.
    Kōichi’s reason for wanting to protect Mei against ostracism and bullying is explained further when the two talk about him being bullied after the 1997 case in Kōbe where 14 year old Sakakibara Seito was arrested as a child murderer.
    Kōichi spends more time with Teshigawara Naoya and Kazami Tomohiko.
    Teshigawara and Kazami show him around the school, including the old school building.
    Akazawa Izumi does not become a part of the group of friends (in the anime she takes the role of Kazami, while he is completely removed from the gang). She is practically absent from every scene in which she features in the anime.
    Along the way Kōichi visits Mochizuki Yuuya and Kazami at home.
    Inose Tomoka (Anime version: Mochizuki Tomoka) is further explained to be Mochizuki’s half sister by a different mother and therefore far enough removed not to be targeted as a victim.
    The group never gets to meet Matsunaga Katsumi, they are merely being told about the hint towards the hidden cassette tape by Inose Tomoka who works at the café Inoya which he frequents.
    The group does not take a trip outside of town. The only person leaving town for a few days is Misaki Mei who goes on a trip with her parents on her fathers boat.
    Nakao Junta does not die in an accident at sea because of a cerebral concussion. He is stabbed to death by Takabayashi Ikuo’s maternal grandmother Numata Mineko on her rampage at the lodge.
    Ayano Aya and her parents have no actual role in the original plot and do not die at all.
    Takabayashi Ikuo does not attempt to tell Kōichi about Misaki Mei and dies from a heart attack at home. Kōichi learns about this when Mochizuki is informed about it via phone by Akazawa.
    Chibiki Tatsuji’s lecture about the workings of the phenomenon and the ensuing calamity is much more elaborate. He tells Kōichi and Mei about the phenomena of previous years, the gradual progress of forgetting and also about the growing countermeassures
    The tape they found in the old 3-3 classroom got damaged when they were to eager in removing the adhesive tape. They also don’t use any school property to play it back but have to repair it first. Mei is not present during their search either.
    Reiko seems a lot more distraught about her sister’s death
    Steadily we are told about several of the 7 school ghost stories:

#1 bloody animal stables
    #2 bloody hand rising from the basins
    #3 secret library

Several death are explained in further detail to make them more of an accident that happened due to a heightened chance of death occuring:

Sakuragi Yukari: Her death is happening unobserved, we are merely told through Koichi’s perspective that she apparently opened her umbrella while storming down the stairs and then slipped and fell on it.

Mizuno Sanae: She does not die from being crushed, but suffers a severe head trauma when the elevator hits ground. She is unresponsive afterwards and dies while the hospital staff tries to reanimate her. Also, the policemen say that the elevator was apparently in bad shape and was already rumored to be a death trap. Out of so far unresolved circumstances the emergency breaks activated but broke down immediatly.

Takabayashi Ikuo: He dies of a heart attack while at his home, unobserved by anybody.

Mr. Kubodera: His and his mother’s background are elaborated upon. He has to care for his mother after the stroke made her practically unable to care for herself as well as making her grow more and more senile over the years. He silently started resenting his mother with whom he shared a very small appartment. The description when commiting suicide is also more focused on his speech, hinting at him already having crossed the border into insanity.

Koichi talks to the detective researching the cases sorrounding the calamity. The detective admits that he has heard about that infamous curse and has a personal interest, but because there is no perpetrator there is nothing he can do about it.
    The detective mentions that he has a 12 year old daughter about to advance to Yomi North and that this is the reason why he has a personal interest in the curse. He tries to belief that the curse will be lifted until his daughter gets into the 3-3 by any chance.
    After hearing about it from Teshigawara at the lodge Kōichi rushes out to look whether Kazami is dead. Kazami has only a minor injury that makes him unable to walk on his own.
    The main proof that Kōichi’s contact with Mei brought disaster upon the class, used by Akazawa at the lodge when she is accusing Mei is, that Sugiura Takako saw how Sakuragi reacted when she saw Kōichi talking to Mei on the corridor which made her run in the opposite direction.
    Sugiura Takako does not go insane and also does not spearhead any witch-hunt against Misaki Mei at the lodge. She is simply stabbed by Numata Mineko when she surprises her and Akazawa in their room.
    Akazawa Izumi is stabbed by Numata Mineko and then falls from the balcony where Kōichi finds her dead.
    Ogura Yumi has no role in the original plot apart from her brother dying. She does not die at the lodge.
    Ouji Makoto does not die at the lodge.
    When Kōichi finds Maejima Manabu in the lodge after he has been stabbed by Numata Mineko, he immediatly tries to carry him outside to safety. Maejima still dies of bloodloss immediatly after.
    Yonemura Shigeki goes along on the schooltrip where he is stabbed by Numata Mineko and dies of bloodloss. His body is only later found by the police.
    Numata Kensaku is killed in the kitchen which is then set on fire by Numata Mineko. The fire causes a gas-tank to explode, spreading the fire through the lodge and causing the students to escape in panic.
    Kōichi is chased by Numata Mineko and then saved by Chibiki who returned to the lodge.
    All students immediatly head outside as the fire in the lodge starts. There are no random deaths except those killed by Numata Mineko
    There is no lightningstorm that hits the lodge.
    There is no past meeting between Akazawa and Kôichi
    After Kôichi leaves the lodge to save Maejima and is in turn rescued by Chibiki he gets the call from Mei telling him that she is save but that he should stay where he is or he’ll regret it.
    Mei did not witness Mikami Reiko getting killed. This is only revealed later in the Outroduction chapter.
    The last scene is set in Kôichi’s hospital room.
    It is not made clear what actions the 3-3 of 1998 will take after the events of the novel.
    Kôichi and Mei are talking about going to Tôkyô together.
    Reiko’s biggest regret is being unable to see Kôichi at least once after his birth; as he has spent all his life in Tôkyô with his father
    It’s strongly hinted at that it was Reiko’s wish for Kôichi, Kôichi’s wish for a mother and their grandparents denial of Reiko’s death which triggered her return as the one person more.
    Reiko is filling the void of Kôichi’s dead mother, which makes his act of killing her also in a mirror-matricide -> He was the reason his mother came to Yomiyama in 1983 and died and now he has to kill Reiko – his surrogate mother – to end the calamity.

• AidanAK47 says:

So the beach episode was anime filler and a good many of the logic inconsistencies were due to the blood C directors idiocy. Good to know. I sort of suspected it but now I know for sure.

• tktym says:

yeah pretty much, the F**ups were the director’s fault. Still enjoyed the show but now I know why some stuff was just wtf worthy

14. RABUJOI says:

All in all, good finale, and we appreciate the entire story unfolding and coming to a satisfying close in a tidy twelve episodes.

We also liked Misaki’s smirk at the end in response to Sakakibara’s question “Is it over?” It’s over for them, but unless future Class 3s have a girl with a dead twin sister and a supernatural glass eye, they’ll fall into the same traps as this Class 3. Especially if the ghost decides to get even trickier.

15. Pax says:

I am somewhat disappointed, they kill the ghost and so they survive but regarding the big picture, the whole curse, we never find out more. And the changed memories, then suddenly they remember… I felt cheated. Also, I for one did not find this last two episodes that intense, too many silly faces and even a laughable stance from Akazawa in this last episode, I could not take this too seriously.

16. Kyle M. says:

The dolls were very overused throughout the entire series but, they had no meaning to the show at all. I wanted to know why the ghost kept coming back anyway. What was the point in all of it? Also why can Misaki even see dead people? It felt like the ending where the dead person was revealed just seemed really thrown together. I mean it was a twist and a surprise to everyone but, I couldn’t just accept that they just threw out all this useful info at the end about Mei seeing her die and the faculty room being short a desk.

They really never really said if the curse had stopped. I mean previously the dead person had been killed but, they came back year after year again. Does that mean another season? Or because Kouichi and Misaki are special the ghost just gives up?

• tktym says:

actually I heard there is a sequel to the source material in the works. . . so no, nothing was solved for good. . .frustraging(made up a new word) I know >_<

It really does feel like this show is aiming to be something akin to Fate/Zero as that too did have a exposition heavy beginning. Difference here is that series had Urobuchi writting and while the man my be more famous for his murderous treatment of characters, he is a master of presenting exposition.
I hope that's the majority of the exposition done for Re:creators. We established the stakes, rules and factions. So now would be good to focus on the creator and creation interactions plus badass battles.
Honestly I really regret Meteora coming into the story when she's being pretty much a massive exposition device.
Konstantinos Travlos
Hmm the "The Man who Knew 75 Languages" reminds me of the game "The Last Express". Great game. Definitely interested.
moster keaton
ditective conan
@Anon, Pretty sure you are just trying to pick a fight more than defend the show but a decent show to me would be one that is deeply flawed but enjoyable to some degree. Sagrada reset is not this. It goes out of it's way to be unenjoyable. To me it's a 3/4 out of 10 show. Interesting concept but with a presentation so alien that the viewer can't empathise with anything on screen.
I mean, decent warrants about a 5-6. That, in theory, should be an "Average" show.
It's a decent show. You're being overly critical.
In the Out of Competition slot (you think that I'm finished?), 2 films in particular that catch my interest are the Korean Lost in the Moonlight which looks like a fun and lightheart adventure, and the Norway-Poland co-production adult-oriented The Man who Knew 75 Languagues about the star-crossed love between the Queen of Romania and a titular man, I guess
Rounding up the Main Competition are Animal Crackers, a 3G American family film which I don't have good feeling about; Big Fish and Begonia - a Chinese indie film that divided the critics, but gathered skyhigh commercial success in its mainland China; and finally Zombillenium which sounds like an enjoyable European children film
From other countries, most notable films are the Loving Vincent - the first feature length hand painting; the Chinese black comedy Have a Nice Day that premiered in Berlin earlier this year; Ethel and Ernest which already gained a strong reviews from the UK; Tehran Taboo- a German production about the lives of 3 women in Iranian community, which sound exactly like my kinda of film.
Alright, I'm here to bring you news about the selection of this coming Annecy AKA one of the best animation festival out there. 3 of anime features: A Slient Voice, In the Corner of the World and Masaaki Yuasa's Lu over the Wall will compete for the main competition.
I'm a fan of thought-provoking anime (see Lain, Boogiepop Phantom) but I need to care about the story and characters first before I make an effort to dig deeper to the theme. Sagrada Reset failed on that fronts.
It's not really about being smart/dumb here. As a creator, they already have an advantage to know how the story and plot will play out. I don't mind this advantage because otherwise the plot will become a hot mess. But don't use that advantage as a way to widen the gap between them and the audience.
Ugh...Ray Gigant was pretty much mediocre up until this point but now it;s utterly asinine. Whoever decided on this endgame needs to be fired. When you are ready to end a game, no player want a ten floor dungion with a boss on each floor coupled with a goddamn boss rush halfway. Just...fuck.
It must be worse than oremo.
I saw some pages of the eromanga sensei manga and my reaction was that I was sad that it actually existed and stated "why would you even" after looking at it.
As an anime example, sekaisuru kado has lots of dialogue but it seems like it could actually be engaging.
So basically no I don't think we're dumb for not liking sagrada reset, given that myself and Mario are capable of watching genuinely smart wordy things and getting them.
@Mario: I can imagine watching Sagrada reset and thinking I'd rather be watching a Bergman film instead , something also with lots of dialogue and themes but actually engaging/clever and NOT pretentious or obnoxious about it.
is it possible that you are all just dumb?
@Mario: I like how you described it as giving a middle finger to the viewers. It's so true. Like, it tries to be intelligent and make the viewer feel stupid, but it just comes off as obnoxious/pretentious.
CGI remains the worst part of it, but we are getting more and more 2D art which I actually enjoy the style of
Its an improvement. The art is better, and maybe its because I prefer this arc, but the pacing is better as well. I gave last season a 3, but this one is more deserving of a 4 and if they can nail certain scenes coming up I may bump it to a 5.
@Lenlo: How's Berserk doing so far? Haven't picked up last week and this week's episodes.
Ground*. I hate it when I fat finger something.
Thats always the worst, when a story starts off promising and then someone runs it into the grouhnd
@Mario, so it's still at it. To me it's like someone was given an interesting story and made it his mission to ruin it as much as possible.
@Aidan: it's still the same crap. I have a feeling that Sagrada Reset gives a middle finger to us viewers. The plot with development and characters that we have no way to figure out ourselves. The characters who change motive and even personality after each timeline. The main lead girl who act like a robot. I gave this show too many chance so I won't bother to spend more time watching it.
Eromanga sensei
@Mario, Oh ho, what was the dealbreaker? Just that it didn't change or did something really stupid happen?
Sagrada Reset (long sigh) (scratching my head) (eyes rolling). Dropped
Hey you.
Konstantinos
Yeah, at this point, this season looks good.
Quite happy with ID-0 and Zero in particular. Zero charms me to no end that I'm still debating whether I should blog it. The trio Re:Creators, Kado, Atom still doing pretty well and the sequels MHA and Bahamut are enjoyable as expected. We have a wide range of anime offerings this season.
Sagrada Reset & SukaSuka I will give it another episode, at least until this current arcs over. They both have potential but Sagrada Reset tries so hard to sound smart, and SukaSuka still falls into its LN tropes which bugged the show down.
*no real urge
I've finally catch up with all other series I wanna follow this season. Alice & Zorouku will be off my list for now, Zorouko is a great character but everything else falls flat so far. I have real urge to continue Attack on Titan and Berserk so I'll wait until they're finished.
I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol

Tsuki ga Kirei – 04 [Passing Shower]

I’m totally impressed with Tsuki ga Kirei thus far. This show has its own voice and after this episode I’m confident that we will have the constant quality in display for the rest of its run. Nothing can beat consistency, I assure you. This week, the kids go to another city for a school trip […]

Sakura Quest – 04 [The Lone Alchemist]

Hmm, I don’t really like the direction Sakura Quest is going for. To be more precise, this episode brings up some questionable variables that I don’t think blended well with the show. The actual story for this week though, is still enjoyable and grounded enough to overcome those concerns. At least for now. This week the […]

Little Witch Academia – 16[The Trial of Pohjola]

One of the weaker episodes of the show but still enjoyable. This week sees us visiting Lottes parents and Akko unlocking another of the words of Arcturus after sloving a disease outbreak. Thus getting closer to the grand triskelion and now learned the meaning of pathence. Except she didn’t learn the meaning of pathence. This […]

Re:Creators Episode 3 – “Don’t worry about what others said. Just be yourself.”

This week wasn’t a particular exciting episode as it went further into how the mechanics between the Creator and Created might or might not work. As speculated last week, Yuuya Mirokuji is a pretty fun character that takes his teleportation into the modern world in stride. His own fictional universe of the Tokyo underground isn’t […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100