Posted by psgels on 26 March 2012 with categories: Another

You know what? This is a season of very solid endings (save for Guilty Crown perhaps, but screw that show). I realized that when Another’s ending was the first ending that didn’t live up to my expectations. Oh, it was still good and i liked the closure it gave, but my expectations of this episode were high, and this episode pulled a few things that tugged on my suspense of disbelief.

The closure that was given was very solid though. To be honest, I did not consider Reiko being the ghost being a possibility. Technically she isn’t a student, But I can accept the logic of the ghost being a bit creative. This episode also didn’t really solve the calamity, it only delayed the killings for another year. I don’t mind that either. This is no story about exorcists, it’s about a bunch of teenagers trying to survive. I also liked the direction of this episode. The faces were a bit silly t times, but it nevertheless was good suspense, the action scenes were well directed and shot, and the scene with the revelation of the ghost was also quite creative.

Still, my knowledge about fire kept poking my suspense of disbelief whenever the characters were in the house: what happened to the smoke? I mean, a lot of victims of house fires don’t die because of fire, but because they inhale too much smoke. I can buy scenes with characters running through fire as fast as they can, but the characters in this episode casually walked around a burning building while feeling perfectly fine. In fact, acknowledging the fire could have lead to an interesting extra threat to this episode.

My big issue with this ending is its lack of meaning, though. I’m still not exactly sure what happened here, with the ghost breaking his own rules and suddenly deciding to try and eliminate every single member of the class with random lightning bolts, falling pillars, chandeliers and even trying to kill the dead student… for some strange reason. The people who went crazy were also nice and all, but they would have been even nicer if they actually had been fleshed out a bit. Because of that they also lacked the impact they could have had. And who on earth was that murdering maid?

And then Misaki suddenly revealed that she witnessed Meiko being killed. Of all the places she could have been. The creators could have done an epilogue that explained that: “we later found out that Meiko had been killed when.. blah blah et cetera”. Also, regarding the dolls of the first episode: what was their point again?

Overall, I think I liked Blood-C slightly more over Another (yes, I liked that show). It took much longer to get going, but in the end I liked how bold it was with its mystery, and how everything came together at the end. Another doesn’t necessarily have that ending where everything comes together, but instead it’s the journey that made it memorable, trying to figure out a way how to stop people dying the most bizarre deaths. It tried a bit too hard at times, but overall I’d rank this in the top five shows of the Winter 2012 season..

A review will be posted tomorrow, because it’s too late now (where I am anyway). Why on earth do four series decide to end all at the same bloody time?
Rating: *+ (Great)

1. victor says:

This ending let me down. What’s the explanation for Misaki’s supernatural hability? There is no explanation, Misaki is just a – still – misterious girl and we just have to accept that. There should have been some explanation, she (or her mother) had to be connected to 3rd class mistery origin somehow. These two misteries have to be connected, otherwise this is way too convenient and deus machine-like. Also, I don’t buy that “the important is the journey, not the destination”, this show should have been about how a group of the 3rd class definitely stopped the calamity for ever, not a more or less random ocurrence of the loop. I enjoyed this series a lot anyway.

• Sei says:

I think it explained somewhere that it is because her twin was dead, or something, she starts to see the color of death because she herself is “near to death” in that sense? A bit like Kara no kyoukai.

About the doll metaphor, psgel, I think it is for Mei character. She felt herself to be the replacement of something, and did not live for herself. That’s why she remained so passive after all abuse.

• victor says:

I don’t remember that. I remember that her twin was the first victim of the calamity. Misaki had that fake eye before that. But you’re probably right.
        I thought that the doll metaphor was just a reference to Rozen Maiden, since there are two characters that have the exact eyes as Misaki in that series (can’t remember their names, but they were siblings) and they were dolls. The opening for Rozen Maiden was also by the same artist.

• joojoobees says:

I think she can see death because she has a doll eye. This is a cautionary tale: Don’t replace your real eyes with doll eyes, or you will see dead people.

2. Qwerty1 says:

Major ball drop on the final scene in the graveyard.

The Manga had the two of them in casual clothes, Mei wearing a sun dress. They’ve been setting up that dress in the credits since the beginning and instead they have them in their school uniforms…

3. Baron says:

The build up to the climax was good but I agree that something just didn’t click. I still got a sense of closure from the ending but there were some ridiculous things that actually made me laugh, such as Kouichi wandering haplessly around the building without suffering smoke inhalation and the incredibly accurate lightning strikes which for some reason set off a series of chain explosions in the building. I know it is supposed to be supernatural but it just seems a tad over the top. Still, it was good suspense. I totally didn’t see the twist with Reiko Sensei coming.

4. Bob Dole says:

Don’t care about the ending or anything. I can deal with it. What I CAN’T deal with is. WHO THE HELL KILLED REIKO 1.5 YEARS AGO?! Was it Sakakibara? His dad? He was supposedly there back then, according to both his dad and Akazawa.

In which case, that means Sakakibara is a murderer. A crazy one.

Also, I’m kind of curious why no one cares about the events of 1.5 years ago. Unless, I missed something.

• Nautical says:

I think it was just someone who somewhat resembled Sakakibara, not Sakakibara himself. When Akazawa first me Sakakibara, he was in the town for Reiko’s funeral. (Hence why he also mentions how he just lost someone important to him.) He knew Reiko had died, but his memories were erased of her death because of the calamity.
      But yeah, it still felt a bit out of place to have someone completely random be Reiko’s murderer. This series connected all its bits and pieces pretty well, but it did both me a bit that the murderer was out of the blue.

• skyhack says:

Reiko was killed by a random psycho class 3 student, more than likely. Maybe she,as the assistant teacher (why would you assign an assistant teacher to a cursed class, anyway), spurned the poor sap’s crush on her or something.

Plenty of class 3 psychos to go around (could that be a meme?).

He could’ve even been the “Other” for that year, since they seem to be as susceptible to the calamity as the rest.

PA Works made this nearly impossible to “get” without that last episode. Reiko = Mikami sensei would have made too obvious, though.

5. skyhack says:

I had predicted at separate times both Reiko and Mikami, but I had no idea that they were the same person. Nice troll, PA Works!

I enjoyed this show a lot, a bit over the top at times, put you have to put aside some amount of reason when watching a show with supernatural aspects.

Baron’s right about the smoke, as well, and not just with Kouichi. It seemed every student had somehow decided that it was perfectly normal to show no sense of urgency while moving through a burning building, unless some psychopath was chasing them.

• tktym says:

THIS! I mean what the hell, the whole building is on fire and some students dont even notice! lol then Koichi GOES BACK INTO the burning building. . .wtf! I love this show to bits but those parts and the overkill-ing of all the students made me laugh a lot! ep 12 was definitely the weaker ending ep of the season :(

somethings that I wondered about: uh. . . so how are they gonna solve the calamity next year? I mean this class got kind of “lucky” that they had someone who could see dead people. . .but what about next year???
      and how are they gonna solve the calamity for good!!!???
      but yeah, people walking through a building like its nothing, was pretty stupid haha.

• tktym says:

OH yeah, so. . .why did the guy say only 7 people had died. . .I clearly remember like only 5 or 6 people surviving. . .so ….yeah wth?

6. joojoobees says:

I don’t think they ever explained how or why the ghost was killing either. Supposedly the ghost didn’t realize she was dead, so why kill? Also, how do ghosts call down lightning?

7. Ellamae says:

The business about wandering around and standing and conversing in burning buildings happens A LOT in anime and it has always, always bothered me. Yes, in real life smoke inhalation would kill you and your own sense of self preservation would make you jump out of windows to escape fire, but not in the anime world. Something about the raging flames as backdrop seems to intrigue anime directors, I don’t know.

But I am reading this manga in scans on the on the web and hope they will better explain things. There are scenes where the young man has bad feelings in the house when talking to Reiko and is trying hard to recall “something” about a year ago so the foreshadowing is better. Hopefully it’ll explain her murder a little more clearly as well.

• skyhack says:

That statement about the burning buildings and jumping out is certainly correct.

Way back in the late 70’s (or early 80’s), I remember watching a live news feed on TV where a skyscraper was on fire.

There was a beauty salon on like the 40th floor, and the window to it was in full view of the camera. They even had a parabolic microphone pointed at the window, so you could hear what was taking place. One by one, the women in the salon chose to fall 40 stories rather than be burned to death.

On live national TV.

It was the most frightening thing I’d ever seen, as well as being both riveting and repulsive. I can picture that grainy video in my mind to this day.

It still freaks me out when I think about it.

8. Cholisose says:

“I’m still not exactly sure what happened here, with the ghost breaking his own rules and suddenly deciding to try and eliminate every single member of the class with random lightning bolts, falling pillars, chandeliers and even trying to kill the dead student… for some strange reason.”
    It seems the calamity strikes hardest when students are trying to put an end to it. This was made clear when the whole class prayed at the shrine back in 1983, and suddenly two more of them were immediately killed off. The fact that nearly the entire class was all focused on trying to kill the dead extra shifted the calamity to All Hell Breaks Loose Mode.
    Which apparently the dead extra herself was not 100% immune to, since there are still random variables at play. Plus, it was already made clear that it is possible for the dead extra to be killed.

“And who on earth was that murdering maid?”
    They said in this episode that the lodge owners were the grandparents of Takabayashi (the freckled boy who had the sudden heart attack halfway through the series). Chibiki (the librarian) said they had suffered emotional trauma after the boy’s death, so I guess the lodge lady decided to have her revenge on all of class 3.

“Also, regarding the dolls of the first episode: what was their point again?”
    It’s just symbolism for Mei’s situation at the start of the series. Like a doll, she could exist in the fact she was there, but she couldn’t live like an actual human being. The two dolls joined together were an allusion to Mei and her twin Misaki, and then you can glean meaning from the doll that looked like Mei as well (eg Mei’s not the real daughter–the stillborn child was). I don’t think they’re meant to be a huge plot element.

Another definitely had its share of unanswered questions though, as have been pointed out in other comments already. I really wished the series would end a bit more… thoroughly. The main mystery was solved, but I felt like we needed something more revealed for our main two characters, Kouichi and Mei. This may be largely stemming from my wish that they could have been developed more, though. =/
    Overall it was an exciting, engaging series–enough that I’d call it an excellent horror mystery… But it’s not quite the groundbreaking series I was hoping it’d be.
    I’d be interested in reading the book, if it’s ever translated into English. (If only light novels were more popular…)

9. Rumana says:

I heard there will be an OVA for this series which will be aired in may 2012. Maybe you’ll get your answer there.

10. skyhack says:

I guess I should read the novel. Acck. It’s probably got a TON of Kanji.

11. Rachnid says:

Some people seem to have the idea that the dead person is deliberately killing off people, but from what I understand the dead person is just a piece of the puzzle. They themselves don’t know that they are dead and has the same knowledge of everything everyone else does, except fake memories and stuff like that.

12. troy says:

exatly at least in the manga it was explained plainly that it is simply a curse. The dead one does not know that he is dead, he does not do anythig, by his very exisstence in the living world where he does not belong he places whole of the class and it’s relatives in a state “closer to death” meaning that as long as he is there they are prone to die.

13. tktym says:

so apparently there is some source material, so I went on a difrerent forum and found some minor differences between the source material and anime: Though most people won’t go to this thread until the anime is over I made a list of what is different between the anime and the original novel so far. I found some of the changes good, some bad…I’m still pretty excited to see how they will pull off the very end. If anybody who has read the novel noticed any further differences I’d be interested if I missed some (I have that feeling I did)…or maybe anybody has an opinion about the changes XD
    Spoiler for differences novel to anime:

The two neighbouring areas Yūmigaoka and Asamidai are mentioned, explaining that the names seem to refer to the beauty of the places in different times of the day. Asami (朝見) Yūmi (夕見) and Yomi (夜見) being morning-view, evening-view and night-view respectively.
    Kōichi drinks coffee from the very beginning (but remarks that Reiko drinks it black)
    Reiko tells one of the 7 ghost stories of Yomi North:
    “Well then I tell you this one, which was by the way the first I heard back then.“
    And so Reiko began to narrate that one ghost story sorrounding the animal stable behind the gym.
    One morning all the bunnies and guinea pigs had vanished from their stable. The door had been destroyed and inside were huge ammounts of blood. The police was called for investigation and it became a huge fuss, but not one of the animals was everr found and they never found out who did it. The stables were torn down after that, but apparently there were reports of seeing the blood-smeared bunnies and guinea pigs (maybe their ghosts?) on that site.
    “But that story has a strange addition to it.“, continued Reiko with a serious face.
    “When the police tested the blood samples they had found at the scene, it turned out not to be bunny or guinea pig blood at all. It was human blood. It was bloodtype AB negative*…“

*AB negative (or all negative bloodtypes) are thought to be very rare in Japan and it therefore hints toward a strange and peculiar person.
    Ritsuko explains more about the class rules:

rule #1: If you go out onto the roof and you hear the crows cry out, you have to reenter with your left foot first.
    rule #2: After entering the 3rd grade of middle school, you may never fall down on the hill road outside of the back gate.
    rule #3: You must always follow the decisions of your class.

Akazawa Izumi is not part of the welcoming committee visiting Kōichi in the hospital. She is absent during those days and was thus unable to perform her duties as head of countermeassures.
    Kōichi’s reason for wanting to protect Mei against ostracism and bullying is explained further when the two talk about him being bullied after the 1997 case in Kōbe where 14 year old Sakakibara Seito was arrested as a child murderer.
    Kōichi spends more time with Teshigawara Naoya and Kazami Tomohiko.
    Teshigawara and Kazami show him around the school, including the old school building.
    Akazawa Izumi does not become a part of the group of friends (in the anime she takes the role of Kazami, while he is completely removed from the gang). She is practically absent from every scene in which she features in the anime.
    Along the way Kōichi visits Mochizuki Yuuya and Kazami at home.
    Inose Tomoka (Anime version: Mochizuki Tomoka) is further explained to be Mochizuki’s half sister by a different mother and therefore far enough removed not to be targeted as a victim.
    The group never gets to meet Matsunaga Katsumi, they are merely being told about the hint towards the hidden cassette tape by Inose Tomoka who works at the café Inoya which he frequents.
    The group does not take a trip outside of town. The only person leaving town for a few days is Misaki Mei who goes on a trip with her parents on her fathers boat.
    Nakao Junta does not die in an accident at sea because of a cerebral concussion. He is stabbed to death by Takabayashi Ikuo’s maternal grandmother Numata Mineko on her rampage at the lodge.
    Ayano Aya and her parents have no actual role in the original plot and do not die at all.
    Takabayashi Ikuo does not attempt to tell Kōichi about Misaki Mei and dies from a heart attack at home. Kōichi learns about this when Mochizuki is informed about it via phone by Akazawa.
    Chibiki Tatsuji’s lecture about the workings of the phenomenon and the ensuing calamity is much more elaborate. He tells Kōichi and Mei about the phenomena of previous years, the gradual progress of forgetting and also about the growing countermeassures
    The tape they found in the old 3-3 classroom got damaged when they were to eager in removing the adhesive tape. They also don’t use any school property to play it back but have to repair it first. Mei is not present during their search either.
    Reiko seems a lot more distraught about her sister’s death
    Steadily we are told about several of the 7 school ghost stories:

#1 bloody animal stables
    #2 bloody hand rising from the basins
    #3 secret library

Several death are explained in further detail to make them more of an accident that happened due to a heightened chance of death occuring:

Sakuragi Yukari: Her death is happening unobserved, we are merely told through Koichi’s perspective that she apparently opened her umbrella while storming down the stairs and then slipped and fell on it.

Mizuno Sanae: She does not die from being crushed, but suffers a severe head trauma when the elevator hits ground. She is unresponsive afterwards and dies while the hospital staff tries to reanimate her. Also, the policemen say that the elevator was apparently in bad shape and was already rumored to be a death trap. Out of so far unresolved circumstances the emergency breaks activated but broke down immediatly.

Takabayashi Ikuo: He dies of a heart attack while at his home, unobserved by anybody.

Mr. Kubodera: His and his mother’s background are elaborated upon. He has to care for his mother after the stroke made her practically unable to care for herself as well as making her grow more and more senile over the years. He silently started resenting his mother with whom he shared a very small appartment. The description when commiting suicide is also more focused on his speech, hinting at him already having crossed the border into insanity.

Koichi talks to the detective researching the cases sorrounding the calamity. The detective admits that he has heard about that infamous curse and has a personal interest, but because there is no perpetrator there is nothing he can do about it.
    The detective mentions that he has a 12 year old daughter about to advance to Yomi North and that this is the reason why he has a personal interest in the curse. He tries to belief that the curse will be lifted until his daughter gets into the 3-3 by any chance.
    After hearing about it from Teshigawara at the lodge Kōichi rushes out to look whether Kazami is dead. Kazami has only a minor injury that makes him unable to walk on his own.
    The main proof that Kōichi’s contact with Mei brought disaster upon the class, used by Akazawa at the lodge when she is accusing Mei is, that Sugiura Takako saw how Sakuragi reacted when she saw Kōichi talking to Mei on the corridor which made her run in the opposite direction.
    Sugiura Takako does not go insane and also does not spearhead any witch-hunt against Misaki Mei at the lodge. She is simply stabbed by Numata Mineko when she surprises her and Akazawa in their room.
    Akazawa Izumi is stabbed by Numata Mineko and then falls from the balcony where Kōichi finds her dead.
    Ogura Yumi has no role in the original plot apart from her brother dying. She does not die at the lodge.
    Ouji Makoto does not die at the lodge.
    When Kōichi finds Maejima Manabu in the lodge after he has been stabbed by Numata Mineko, he immediatly tries to carry him outside to safety. Maejima still dies of bloodloss immediatly after.
    Yonemura Shigeki goes along on the schooltrip where he is stabbed by Numata Mineko and dies of bloodloss. His body is only later found by the police.
    Numata Kensaku is killed in the kitchen which is then set on fire by Numata Mineko. The fire causes a gas-tank to explode, spreading the fire through the lodge and causing the students to escape in panic.
    Kōichi is chased by Numata Mineko and then saved by Chibiki who returned to the lodge.
    All students immediatly head outside as the fire in the lodge starts. There are no random deaths except those killed by Numata Mineko
    There is no lightningstorm that hits the lodge.
    There is no past meeting between Akazawa and Kôichi
    After Kôichi leaves the lodge to save Maejima and is in turn rescued by Chibiki he gets the call from Mei telling him that she is save but that he should stay where he is or he’ll regret it.
    Mei did not witness Mikami Reiko getting killed. This is only revealed later in the Outroduction chapter.
    The last scene is set in Kôichi’s hospital room.
    It is not made clear what actions the 3-3 of 1998 will take after the events of the novel.
    Kôichi and Mei are talking about going to Tôkyô together.
    Reiko’s biggest regret is being unable to see Kôichi at least once after his birth; as he has spent all his life in Tôkyô with his father
    It’s strongly hinted at that it was Reiko’s wish for Kôichi, Kôichi’s wish for a mother and their grandparents denial of Reiko’s death which triggered her return as the one person more.
    Reiko is filling the void of Kôichi’s dead mother, which makes his act of killing her also in a mirror-matricide -> He was the reason his mother came to Yomiyama in 1983 and died and now he has to kill Reiko – his surrogate mother – to end the calamity.

• AidanAK47 says:

So the beach episode was anime filler and a good many of the logic inconsistencies were due to the blood C directors idiocy. Good to know. I sort of suspected it but now I know for sure.

• tktym says:

yeah pretty much, the F**ups were the director’s fault. Still enjoyed the show but now I know why some stuff was just wtf worthy

14. RABUJOI says:

All in all, good finale, and we appreciate the entire story unfolding and coming to a satisfying close in a tidy twelve episodes.

We also liked Misaki’s smirk at the end in response to Sakakibara’s question “Is it over?” It’s over for them, but unless future Class 3s have a girl with a dead twin sister and a supernatural glass eye, they’ll fall into the same traps as this Class 3. Especially if the ghost decides to get even trickier.

15. Pax says:

I am somewhat disappointed, they kill the ghost and so they survive but regarding the big picture, the whole curse, we never find out more. And the changed memories, then suddenly they remember… I felt cheated. Also, I for one did not find this last two episodes that intense, too many silly faces and even a laughable stance from Akazawa in this last episode, I could not take this too seriously.

16. Kyle M. says:

The dolls were very overused throughout the entire series but, they had no meaning to the show at all. I wanted to know why the ghost kept coming back anyway. What was the point in all of it? Also why can Misaki even see dead people? It felt like the ending where the dead person was revealed just seemed really thrown together. I mean it was a twist and a surprise to everyone but, I couldn’t just accept that they just threw out all this useful info at the end about Mei seeing her die and the faculty room being short a desk.

They really never really said if the curse had stopped. I mean previously the dead person had been killed but, they came back year after year again. Does that mean another season? Or because Kouichi and Misaki are special the ghost just gives up?

• tktym says:

actually I heard there is a sequel to the source material in the works. . . so no, nothing was solved for good. . .frustraging(made up a new word) I know >_<

I bring him up because I feel he'd be more controversial than Tenka seiha/aroduc or digibro.
Roriconfan/thatanimesnob/Peter Malousis: [link src="https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnob
I don't know who would that be either Kaiser? A V-blogger?
Who?
We talk about digibro on here, yet we never talk about Rorico.
I agree
Shitcunt is the greatest anime villain of all time. End of argument.
Best villain was clearly JJ. JJ is actually the best character for every category.
@SuperMario, I just felt there was some social context to the discussion with the boss that I missed.
Bah, haven't you heard, the best villain category was for the dictionary in Lost passage, must have been bastard-hard effort getting that compiled =P
To sum that up, don't bully my waifu or I will end you.
@Mario, She only killed him once and tortured him for information once. Both times because he had something which showed he had a connection to the witch. Besides, the anime mainly showed off her good points but she still has a crushing inferiority complex and a rather delicate mindset.
Oh I have one. How about Lovepon? lol
@Topgavin: it was sarcasm actually, if we do it again next year we might cut down some categories. But I totally agree that we're lacking of good villains. Biba and that teacher are the worst as they actually dragged their shows down.
Honestly though there's been a real lacking of good villains last year. I hear some guy from Jojo was pretty good, but other than that they've either been okay or lackluster. Makes you wonder how FMA:B managed to get so many villians right in so many ways when shows usually fail to get even 1 half as good.
@Supermario Biba or Teacher-dude from Erased surely...
Maybe we should include the best villain next time, haha. I honestly don't know who to pick...
oh Rem, that demon girl who tried to kill Subaru many times over. Why is she the best girl again?
@Kaiser: I watched Moonlight last night in cinema and it was great. I had high expectation for that and it pretty much delivered. Also Janelle Monae was so freaking hot.
OMG, that 3rd episode of Rakugo was so greattttt. @Lenlo: don't need to understand the meaning of the rant thou, Yotaro doesn't understand either
Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100