Posted by psgels on 26 March 2012 with categories: Another

You know what? This is a season of very solid endings (save for Guilty Crown perhaps, but screw that show). I realized that when Another’s ending was the first ending that didn’t live up to my expectations. Oh, it was still good and i liked the closure it gave, but my expectations of this episode were high, and this episode pulled a few things that tugged on my suspense of disbelief.

The closure that was given was very solid though. To be honest, I did not consider Reiko being the ghost being a possibility. Technically she isn’t a student, But I can accept the logic of the ghost being a bit creative. This episode also didn’t really solve the calamity, it only delayed the killings for another year. I don’t mind that either. This is no story about exorcists, it’s about a bunch of teenagers trying to survive. I also liked the direction of this episode. The faces were a bit silly t times, but it nevertheless was good suspense, the action scenes were well directed and shot, and the scene with the revelation of the ghost was also quite creative.

Still, my knowledge about fire kept poking my suspense of disbelief whenever the characters were in the house: what happened to the smoke? I mean, a lot of victims of house fires don’t die because of fire, but because they inhale too much smoke. I can buy scenes with characters running through fire as fast as they can, but the characters in this episode casually walked around a burning building while feeling perfectly fine. In fact, acknowledging the fire could have lead to an interesting extra threat to this episode.

My big issue with this ending is its lack of meaning, though. I’m still not exactly sure what happened here, with the ghost breaking his own rules and suddenly deciding to try and eliminate every single member of the class with random lightning bolts, falling pillars, chandeliers and even trying to kill the dead student… for some strange reason. The people who went crazy were also nice and all, but they would have been even nicer if they actually had been fleshed out a bit. Because of that they also lacked the impact they could have had. And who on earth was that murdering maid?

And then Misaki suddenly revealed that she witnessed Meiko being killed. Of all the places she could have been. The creators could have done an epilogue that explained that: “we later found out that Meiko had been killed when.. blah blah et cetera”. Also, regarding the dolls of the first episode: what was their point again?

Overall, I think I liked Blood-C slightly more over Another (yes, I liked that show). It took much longer to get going, but in the end I liked how bold it was with its mystery, and how everything came together at the end. Another doesn’t necessarily have that ending where everything comes together, but instead it’s the journey that made it memorable, trying to figure out a way how to stop people dying the most bizarre deaths. It tried a bit too hard at times, but overall I’d rank this in the top five shows of the Winter 2012 season..

A review will be posted tomorrow, because it’s too late now (where I am anyway). Why on earth do four series decide to end all at the same bloody time?
Rating: *+ (Great)

1. victor says:

This ending let me down. What’s the explanation for Misaki’s supernatural hability? There is no explanation, Misaki is just a – still – misterious girl and we just have to accept that. There should have been some explanation, she (or her mother) had to be connected to 3rd class mistery origin somehow. These two misteries have to be connected, otherwise this is way too convenient and deus machine-like. Also, I don’t buy that “the important is the journey, not the destination”, this show should have been about how a group of the 3rd class definitely stopped the calamity for ever, not a more or less random ocurrence of the loop. I enjoyed this series a lot anyway.

• Sei says:

I think it explained somewhere that it is because her twin was dead, or something, she starts to see the color of death because she herself is “near to death” in that sense? A bit like Kara no kyoukai.

About the doll metaphor, psgel, I think it is for Mei character. She felt herself to be the replacement of something, and did not live for herself. That’s why she remained so passive after all abuse.

• victor says:

I don’t remember that. I remember that her twin was the first victim of the calamity. Misaki had that fake eye before that. But you’re probably right.
        I thought that the doll metaphor was just a reference to Rozen Maiden, since there are two characters that have the exact eyes as Misaki in that series (can’t remember their names, but they were siblings) and they were dolls. The opening for Rozen Maiden was also by the same artist.

• joojoobees says:

I think she can see death because she has a doll eye. This is a cautionary tale: Don’t replace your real eyes with doll eyes, or you will see dead people.

2. Qwerty1 says:

Major ball drop on the final scene in the graveyard.

The Manga had the two of them in casual clothes, Mei wearing a sun dress. They’ve been setting up that dress in the credits since the beginning and instead they have them in their school uniforms…

3. Baron says:

The build up to the climax was good but I agree that something just didn’t click. I still got a sense of closure from the ending but there were some ridiculous things that actually made me laugh, such as Kouichi wandering haplessly around the building without suffering smoke inhalation and the incredibly accurate lightning strikes which for some reason set off a series of chain explosions in the building. I know it is supposed to be supernatural but it just seems a tad over the top. Still, it was good suspense. I totally didn’t see the twist with Reiko Sensei coming.

4. Bob Dole says:

Don’t care about the ending or anything. I can deal with it. What I CAN’T deal with is. WHO THE HELL KILLED REIKO 1.5 YEARS AGO?! Was it Sakakibara? His dad? He was supposedly there back then, according to both his dad and Akazawa.

In which case, that means Sakakibara is a murderer. A crazy one.

Also, I’m kind of curious why no one cares about the events of 1.5 years ago. Unless, I missed something.

• Nautical says:

I think it was just someone who somewhat resembled Sakakibara, not Sakakibara himself. When Akazawa first me Sakakibara, he was in the town for Reiko’s funeral. (Hence why he also mentions how he just lost someone important to him.) He knew Reiko had died, but his memories were erased of her death because of the calamity.
      But yeah, it still felt a bit out of place to have someone completely random be Reiko’s murderer. This series connected all its bits and pieces pretty well, but it did both me a bit that the murderer was out of the blue.

• skyhack says:

Reiko was killed by a random psycho class 3 student, more than likely. Maybe she,as the assistant teacher (why would you assign an assistant teacher to a cursed class, anyway), spurned the poor sap’s crush on her or something.

Plenty of class 3 psychos to go around (could that be a meme?).

He could’ve even been the “Other” for that year, since they seem to be as susceptible to the calamity as the rest.

PA Works made this nearly impossible to “get” without that last episode. Reiko = Mikami sensei would have made too obvious, though.

5. skyhack says:

I had predicted at separate times both Reiko and Mikami, but I had no idea that they were the same person. Nice troll, PA Works!

I enjoyed this show a lot, a bit over the top at times, put you have to put aside some amount of reason when watching a show with supernatural aspects.

Baron’s right about the smoke, as well, and not just with Kouichi. It seemed every student had somehow decided that it was perfectly normal to show no sense of urgency while moving through a burning building, unless some psychopath was chasing them.

• tktym says:

THIS! I mean what the hell, the whole building is on fire and some students dont even notice! lol then Koichi GOES BACK INTO the burning building. . .wtf! I love this show to bits but those parts and the overkill-ing of all the students made me laugh a lot! ep 12 was definitely the weaker ending ep of the season :(

somethings that I wondered about: uh. . . so how are they gonna solve the calamity next year? I mean this class got kind of “lucky” that they had someone who could see dead people. . .but what about next year???
      and how are they gonna solve the calamity for good!!!???
      but yeah, people walking through a building like its nothing, was pretty stupid haha.

• tktym says:

OH yeah, so. . .why did the guy say only 7 people had died. . .I clearly remember like only 5 or 6 people surviving. . .so ….yeah wth?

6. joojoobees says:

I don’t think they ever explained how or why the ghost was killing either. Supposedly the ghost didn’t realize she was dead, so why kill? Also, how do ghosts call down lightning?

7. Ellamae says:

The business about wandering around and standing and conversing in burning buildings happens A LOT in anime and it has always, always bothered me. Yes, in real life smoke inhalation would kill you and your own sense of self preservation would make you jump out of windows to escape fire, but not in the anime world. Something about the raging flames as backdrop seems to intrigue anime directors, I don’t know.

But I am reading this manga in scans on the on the web and hope they will better explain things. There are scenes where the young man has bad feelings in the house when talking to Reiko and is trying hard to recall “something” about a year ago so the foreshadowing is better. Hopefully it’ll explain her murder a little more clearly as well.

• skyhack says:

That statement about the burning buildings and jumping out is certainly correct.

Way back in the late 70’s (or early 80’s), I remember watching a live news feed on TV where a skyscraper was on fire.

There was a beauty salon on like the 40th floor, and the window to it was in full view of the camera. They even had a parabolic microphone pointed at the window, so you could hear what was taking place. One by one, the women in the salon chose to fall 40 stories rather than be burned to death.

On live national TV.

It was the most frightening thing I’d ever seen, as well as being both riveting and repulsive. I can picture that grainy video in my mind to this day.

It still freaks me out when I think about it.

8. Cholisose says:

“I’m still not exactly sure what happened here, with the ghost breaking his own rules and suddenly deciding to try and eliminate every single member of the class with random lightning bolts, falling pillars, chandeliers and even trying to kill the dead student… for some strange reason.”
    It seems the calamity strikes hardest when students are trying to put an end to it. This was made clear when the whole class prayed at the shrine back in 1983, and suddenly two more of them were immediately killed off. The fact that nearly the entire class was all focused on trying to kill the dead extra shifted the calamity to All Hell Breaks Loose Mode.
    Which apparently the dead extra herself was not 100% immune to, since there are still random variables at play. Plus, it was already made clear that it is possible for the dead extra to be killed.

“And who on earth was that murdering maid?”
    They said in this episode that the lodge owners were the grandparents of Takabayashi (the freckled boy who had the sudden heart attack halfway through the series). Chibiki (the librarian) said they had suffered emotional trauma after the boy’s death, so I guess the lodge lady decided to have her revenge on all of class 3.

“Also, regarding the dolls of the first episode: what was their point again?”
    It’s just symbolism for Mei’s situation at the start of the series. Like a doll, she could exist in the fact she was there, but she couldn’t live like an actual human being. The two dolls joined together were an allusion to Mei and her twin Misaki, and then you can glean meaning from the doll that looked like Mei as well (eg Mei’s not the real daughter–the stillborn child was). I don’t think they’re meant to be a huge plot element.

Another definitely had its share of unanswered questions though, as have been pointed out in other comments already. I really wished the series would end a bit more… thoroughly. The main mystery was solved, but I felt like we needed something more revealed for our main two characters, Kouichi and Mei. This may be largely stemming from my wish that they could have been developed more, though. =/
    Overall it was an exciting, engaging series–enough that I’d call it an excellent horror mystery… But it’s not quite the groundbreaking series I was hoping it’d be.
    I’d be interested in reading the book, if it’s ever translated into English. (If only light novels were more popular…)

9. Rumana says:

I heard there will be an OVA for this series which will be aired in may 2012. Maybe you’ll get your answer there.

10. skyhack says:

I guess I should read the novel. Acck. It’s probably got a TON of Kanji.

11. Rachnid says:

Some people seem to have the idea that the dead person is deliberately killing off people, but from what I understand the dead person is just a piece of the puzzle. They themselves don’t know that they are dead and has the same knowledge of everything everyone else does, except fake memories and stuff like that.

12. troy says:

exatly at least in the manga it was explained plainly that it is simply a curse. The dead one does not know that he is dead, he does not do anythig, by his very exisstence in the living world where he does not belong he places whole of the class and it’s relatives in a state “closer to death” meaning that as long as he is there they are prone to die.

13. tktym says:

so apparently there is some source material, so I went on a difrerent forum and found some minor differences between the source material and anime: Though most people won’t go to this thread until the anime is over I made a list of what is different between the anime and the original novel so far. I found some of the changes good, some bad…I’m still pretty excited to see how they will pull off the very end. If anybody who has read the novel noticed any further differences I’d be interested if I missed some (I have that feeling I did)…or maybe anybody has an opinion about the changes XD
    Spoiler for differences novel to anime:

The two neighbouring areas Yūmigaoka and Asamidai are mentioned, explaining that the names seem to refer to the beauty of the places in different times of the day. Asami (朝見) Yūmi (夕見) and Yomi (夜見) being morning-view, evening-view and night-view respectively.
    Kōichi drinks coffee from the very beginning (but remarks that Reiko drinks it black)
    Reiko tells one of the 7 ghost stories of Yomi North:
    “Well then I tell you this one, which was by the way the first I heard back then.“
    And so Reiko began to narrate that one ghost story sorrounding the animal stable behind the gym.
    One morning all the bunnies and guinea pigs had vanished from their stable. The door had been destroyed and inside were huge ammounts of blood. The police was called for investigation and it became a huge fuss, but not one of the animals was everr found and they never found out who did it. The stables were torn down after that, but apparently there were reports of seeing the blood-smeared bunnies and guinea pigs (maybe their ghosts?) on that site.
    “But that story has a strange addition to it.“, continued Reiko with a serious face.
    “When the police tested the blood samples they had found at the scene, it turned out not to be bunny or guinea pig blood at all. It was human blood. It was bloodtype AB negative*…“

*AB negative (or all negative bloodtypes) are thought to be very rare in Japan and it therefore hints toward a strange and peculiar person.
    Ritsuko explains more about the class rules:

rule #1: If you go out onto the roof and you hear the crows cry out, you have to reenter with your left foot first.
    rule #2: After entering the 3rd grade of middle school, you may never fall down on the hill road outside of the back gate.
    rule #3: You must always follow the decisions of your class.

Akazawa Izumi is not part of the welcoming committee visiting Kōichi in the hospital. She is absent during those days and was thus unable to perform her duties as head of countermeassures.
    Kōichi’s reason for wanting to protect Mei against ostracism and bullying is explained further when the two talk about him being bullied after the 1997 case in Kōbe where 14 year old Sakakibara Seito was arrested as a child murderer.
    Kōichi spends more time with Teshigawara Naoya and Kazami Tomohiko.
    Teshigawara and Kazami show him around the school, including the old school building.
    Akazawa Izumi does not become a part of the group of friends (in the anime she takes the role of Kazami, while he is completely removed from the gang). She is practically absent from every scene in which she features in the anime.
    Along the way Kōichi visits Mochizuki Yuuya and Kazami at home.
    Inose Tomoka (Anime version: Mochizuki Tomoka) is further explained to be Mochizuki’s half sister by a different mother and therefore far enough removed not to be targeted as a victim.
    The group never gets to meet Matsunaga Katsumi, they are merely being told about the hint towards the hidden cassette tape by Inose Tomoka who works at the café Inoya which he frequents.
    The group does not take a trip outside of town. The only person leaving town for a few days is Misaki Mei who goes on a trip with her parents on her fathers boat.
    Nakao Junta does not die in an accident at sea because of a cerebral concussion. He is stabbed to death by Takabayashi Ikuo’s maternal grandmother Numata Mineko on her rampage at the lodge.
    Ayano Aya and her parents have no actual role in the original plot and do not die at all.
    Takabayashi Ikuo does not attempt to tell Kōichi about Misaki Mei and dies from a heart attack at home. Kōichi learns about this when Mochizuki is informed about it via phone by Akazawa.
    Chibiki Tatsuji’s lecture about the workings of the phenomenon and the ensuing calamity is much more elaborate. He tells Kōichi and Mei about the phenomena of previous years, the gradual progress of forgetting and also about the growing countermeassures
    The tape they found in the old 3-3 classroom got damaged when they were to eager in removing the adhesive tape. They also don’t use any school property to play it back but have to repair it first. Mei is not present during their search either.
    Reiko seems a lot more distraught about her sister’s death
    Steadily we are told about several of the 7 school ghost stories:

#1 bloody animal stables
    #2 bloody hand rising from the basins
    #3 secret library

Several death are explained in further detail to make them more of an accident that happened due to a heightened chance of death occuring:

Sakuragi Yukari: Her death is happening unobserved, we are merely told through Koichi’s perspective that she apparently opened her umbrella while storming down the stairs and then slipped and fell on it.

Mizuno Sanae: She does not die from being crushed, but suffers a severe head trauma when the elevator hits ground. She is unresponsive afterwards and dies while the hospital staff tries to reanimate her. Also, the policemen say that the elevator was apparently in bad shape and was already rumored to be a death trap. Out of so far unresolved circumstances the emergency breaks activated but broke down immediatly.

Takabayashi Ikuo: He dies of a heart attack while at his home, unobserved by anybody.

Mr. Kubodera: His and his mother’s background are elaborated upon. He has to care for his mother after the stroke made her practically unable to care for herself as well as making her grow more and more senile over the years. He silently started resenting his mother with whom he shared a very small appartment. The description when commiting suicide is also more focused on his speech, hinting at him already having crossed the border into insanity.

Koichi talks to the detective researching the cases sorrounding the calamity. The detective admits that he has heard about that infamous curse and has a personal interest, but because there is no perpetrator there is nothing he can do about it.
    The detective mentions that he has a 12 year old daughter about to advance to Yomi North and that this is the reason why he has a personal interest in the curse. He tries to belief that the curse will be lifted until his daughter gets into the 3-3 by any chance.
    After hearing about it from Teshigawara at the lodge Kōichi rushes out to look whether Kazami is dead. Kazami has only a minor injury that makes him unable to walk on his own.
    The main proof that Kōichi’s contact with Mei brought disaster upon the class, used by Akazawa at the lodge when she is accusing Mei is, that Sugiura Takako saw how Sakuragi reacted when she saw Kōichi talking to Mei on the corridor which made her run in the opposite direction.
    Sugiura Takako does not go insane and also does not spearhead any witch-hunt against Misaki Mei at the lodge. She is simply stabbed by Numata Mineko when she surprises her and Akazawa in their room.
    Akazawa Izumi is stabbed by Numata Mineko and then falls from the balcony where Kōichi finds her dead.
    Ogura Yumi has no role in the original plot apart from her brother dying. She does not die at the lodge.
    Ouji Makoto does not die at the lodge.
    When Kōichi finds Maejima Manabu in the lodge after he has been stabbed by Numata Mineko, he immediatly tries to carry him outside to safety. Maejima still dies of bloodloss immediatly after.
    Yonemura Shigeki goes along on the schooltrip where he is stabbed by Numata Mineko and dies of bloodloss. His body is only later found by the police.
    Numata Kensaku is killed in the kitchen which is then set on fire by Numata Mineko. The fire causes a gas-tank to explode, spreading the fire through the lodge and causing the students to escape in panic.
    Kōichi is chased by Numata Mineko and then saved by Chibiki who returned to the lodge.
    All students immediatly head outside as the fire in the lodge starts. There are no random deaths except those killed by Numata Mineko
    There is no lightningstorm that hits the lodge.
    There is no past meeting between Akazawa and Kôichi
    After Kôichi leaves the lodge to save Maejima and is in turn rescued by Chibiki he gets the call from Mei telling him that she is save but that he should stay where he is or he’ll regret it.
    Mei did not witness Mikami Reiko getting killed. This is only revealed later in the Outroduction chapter.
    The last scene is set in Kôichi’s hospital room.
    It is not made clear what actions the 3-3 of 1998 will take after the events of the novel.
    Kôichi and Mei are talking about going to Tôkyô together.
    Reiko’s biggest regret is being unable to see Kôichi at least once after his birth; as he has spent all his life in Tôkyô with his father
    It’s strongly hinted at that it was Reiko’s wish for Kôichi, Kôichi’s wish for a mother and their grandparents denial of Reiko’s death which triggered her return as the one person more.
    Reiko is filling the void of Kôichi’s dead mother, which makes his act of killing her also in a mirror-matricide -> He was the reason his mother came to Yomiyama in 1983 and died and now he has to kill Reiko – his surrogate mother – to end the calamity.

• AidanAK47 says:

So the beach episode was anime filler and a good many of the logic inconsistencies were due to the blood C directors idiocy. Good to know. I sort of suspected it but now I know for sure.

• tktym says:

yeah pretty much, the F**ups were the director’s fault. Still enjoyed the show but now I know why some stuff was just wtf worthy

14. RABUJOI says:

All in all, good finale, and we appreciate the entire story unfolding and coming to a satisfying close in a tidy twelve episodes.

We also liked Misaki’s smirk at the end in response to Sakakibara’s question “Is it over?” It’s over for them, but unless future Class 3s have a girl with a dead twin sister and a supernatural glass eye, they’ll fall into the same traps as this Class 3. Especially if the ghost decides to get even trickier.

15. Pax says:

I am somewhat disappointed, they kill the ghost and so they survive but regarding the big picture, the whole curse, we never find out more. And the changed memories, then suddenly they remember… I felt cheated. Also, I for one did not find this last two episodes that intense, too many silly faces and even a laughable stance from Akazawa in this last episode, I could not take this too seriously.

16. Kyle M. says:

The dolls were very overused throughout the entire series but, they had no meaning to the show at all. I wanted to know why the ghost kept coming back anyway. What was the point in all of it? Also why can Misaki even see dead people? It felt like the ending where the dead person was revealed just seemed really thrown together. I mean it was a twist and a surprise to everyone but, I couldn’t just accept that they just threw out all this useful info at the end about Mei seeing her die and the faculty room being short a desk.

They really never really said if the curse had stopped. I mean previously the dead person had been killed but, they came back year after year again. Does that mean another season? Or because Kouichi and Misaki are special the ghost just gives up?

• tktym says:

actually I heard there is a sequel to the source material in the works. . . so no, nothing was solved for good. . .frustraging(made up a new word) I know >_<

Customize
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeet
"Mario looks through the window, ignoring the bullshit talk"
Fuck you all id rarher have no season of anime just for season 3 of rick and morty
I'll try neverland. Although it being in shounen jump is suspect.
I was quite effected by flippflappers episode 10s last couple of moments.
yeah, she's checking her pulse while completely in control of the situation. Such badass. I wonder with the stakes so impossibly high how could they resolve all this? Not to mention they have other shits to face after escaping that orphanage. Good read. I love the three mains so far as well.
@Mario, Yep. I actually didn't get into it until the end of the first chapter and then it's just got my full attention. Up to date and so far it hasn't let me down. Miss Mom is pretty damn unnerving. That one point near the beginning where she just holds the main girls head and stares at her like shes examining an object would scare the hell out of me if I was her.
This The Promised Neverland manga is awesome. I'm at chap 4 right now and it just getting better and better
Currently looking forward to Flip Flappers, Keijo and To Be Hero. Needa catch up on Girlish Number and Drifters but haven't had the time.
Oh, and that Zaragoto OVA which I think not a lot of people care to watch, at least not right now.
Now I consider catching up a part of this job haha
I'm more of a slice of life guy so my watch for this season are: natsume, Yuri on ice, girlish number, drifters, Fune wo amu, Saiki and I'm behind on Keijo, Magical Girl raising project, occultic;nine, buranki, Bungo stray dogs. Have a lot to catch up it seems
This season im watching Yuri, Drifters, and Flip Flappers. When I get the time I also try to watch some Bakumon
Besides what I am blogging, I am also watching Jojo, Flip Flappers, Girlish number and Keijo.
I guess you want to know what everyone's watching in the current season?
This is a mess
So the what out there y'all
And so number one out there
And some new anime
So what's new anime y'all seen
That's what. I think
@Anon530022, I am not going to deny being arrogant. That's just my nature. But you are going to have to explain how wanting a show to have a genuine gay romance is homophobic? Kinda missing the logical steps on that jump. Anyway you being gay is irrelevant as I have a bisexual friend who says the romance isn't realistic in the slightest.
real interaction which makes everything feel fake. (sorry about the test walls)
I love basically any sports/romance anime so Yuri should be straight up my alley, but instead it just fails at both, mainly the sports part since it does try to focus on fanservice of the relationship between Victor and Yuri. I don't feel like the relationship between the two of them is real whether it's romantic or not. They keep having characters voice their thoughts about each other but no
Hi random long-time psgels reader, personally I think Yuri on Ice has kind of lost on trying to be a real romance and a real sports anime. It's characters are pretty weak and combing from someone that actually reads BL manga, I agree that their overt level of fanservice like focusing on the two of their lips and the rings, etc doesn't match their level of outright talking about shit.
I like a good dickin
tl;dr, chill its an anime.
Age gap isnt that big, and its not homophobic or arrogant to say a show isnt selling an aspect of itself well in his opinion. Lastly, romance for every person is different, so dont expect him to share your experiences/views on it.
Also, how Viktor's choice to become Yuuri's coach might have been initiated by not just Yuuri's skating, but Yuuri himself.
@Mario: I agree on the strip dance. Like, holy crap. But overall, I really like how episode 10 reframed the series from Viktor's perspective. Like, at first the whole commemorative photo thing made him seem like a jerk, but now we get to see that he had actually had a great time with Yuuri and was probably being genuine about it...
What happened to angry german kid
You just want them to identify themselves. You feel as if it's your right to know that they are gay. Well it isn't. It is their life, their story. You are being homophobic. You are being close minded. You are being arrogant. You are, indeed, very arrogant.
It is a mixture of admiration and lust and because it is hard to distinguish between the two it is difficult to express your feelings directly or even admit it to yourself.
As a gay man I attest that this is how romance works, ESPECIALLY when there is an age and experience gap.
This shows romance is actually reaistic, but you are still rejecting it. Yuri literally said he had found love. He said neither way who it's directed towards yet you are SO INSISTENT that it is towards skating. in the episode Victor even expressed admiration to Yuri's own dispositions beyond skating. He clearly was 'watching' him.
If they planned to take such a hands off approach to romance then it would be better if they just focused on the skating. But well then the fujoshi's wouldn't be buying the Blu-rays now would they?
I can understand that, thats a problem I have with alot of modern romance's. Im just not seeing the backing off that happens in those romances. They just seem to raise it more and more in Yuri, without ever crossing the line, rather than toeing it then backing off.
@Lenlo, To me I find it aggravating. They go so far to portray them as gay yet when it comes to the final say they keep backing off. Hey I want to be more that friends...just kidding! Hey I love you...just kidding! Hey lets get married...just kidding! It like how harems constantly tease the main getting together with each girl when by shows end you know he's not going to get with anyone.
@lenl: agree. I'm still enjoying the hell of the show. A bit out of the blues thou when it comes to the strip dance (they shoulve planted that before), but it's a joy to watch every week
Eh. As I said, I think its above bait below romance. Either way im enjoying it and thats the important part.
For me they're just too much at the moments but unless they confirm it, nothing changes.
Y'know I kind of wish Rorico would just come out and directly say he feels too old for most anime, its not really surprising a man in his 60s would be so cranky when it comes to this stuff.
@lenlo: I think it's more about statements. Yes, we understand the context of rings and engagements but unless they confirm it, nothing set in stones. And "hinting" is what they love to do, you can see just by the 2 shows I've coverage myself: Sound Eupho (Reina & Kumiko), Flip Flappers (Papika & Cocona) and people saying those same underlining context things.
I think its beyond baiting, below full blown romance at this point myself.
Does a show have to confirm and say "They kissed" to make it true? Seems along the same lines as "Fade to black" for sex. Then theres the ED which also made the start of the show much more interesting, as with this ED not its Victor that was jilted at the airport, when Yuri ran away.
See, I dont understand why they have to come out and say "We are gay" for you to accept its an actual romance. I dont see how this is baiting anymore either, as the rings and the "Engagement" seem pretty clear to me. Also, without knowing the current climate on the matter in Japan, this could be the clearest they are allowed to make it, while still fully intending for it to be a real romance.
@Anon1, Agreed. I said before that I would like to be proven wrong on this but this series doesn't seem to have done that yet. I really will admit I am wrong to Anon2 if it does provide proof but it would need to be far more substantial than this.
@Anon2, Girl, boy, whatever.
I'm not a girl.
Even that is just grasping at straws though, haha.
@Aidan: I think the only thing from that scene that hints at actual romance would be where Viktor says something along the lines of a lot of other people got their L words from Yuuri, which he had earlier stated are "Love" and "Life." Honestly, even this is pushing it though, but the fact that he said it like that suggests that both he and Yuri got "those words" from Yuuri.
Way I saw that scene was the guy saying "Fuck you, you think Yuri is so great. Well I am gonna be better than Yuri. Just you wait and see" and then Victor remarking on how Yuri awoke his competitive spirit. Aka his love for Skating.
@Kaiser: Although I like both, I always prefer impressionism better. Expressionism for me tend to be a bit overwhelming and a bit subjectively. But mind you Flip Flappers still has moments of Expressionist as well (Episode 6: Irochan's parents)
@Anon, I got the context you saw fine. About him getting mad over the "Good luck charm". You are being baited girl, hook, line and sinker.
You are missing context. You don't know anything. You don't even know why Yuri was mad do you? Why the fuck would he be mad about loving skating.
@Mario: I bring up the impressionism vs expressionism thing because I feel that the impressionistic aspects of say a Tarkovsky film, Malick film and flippflappers feel superior to me over expressionistic style because its more emotionally satisfying while ALSO being athmospheric, Whereas expressinistic visuals are ONLY atmospheric.
@Mario: Flippflappers has now reached a level where I feel the impressionism has gone beyond simply visual immersive in a way that makes us part of its world and has become more emotional.
@Mario: You mention impressionism in your review of flipflappers, in general do you feel on a visual level you respond more strongly to expressionism or impressionism?
I watched the whole thing so I know that in this episode, except the time they're giving rings to each other (in the name of "good luck charm") and Victor somewhat pump Yuri up for the Gold medal by Not Denying it; they still haven't admitted anything.
Perhaps I am not the one who is in denial.
Oh I think I see it now. Yeah this is nothing mate. The conversation was about skating from begining to end and Victor mentioned that he wasn't the only one to get his "L words" from Yuri. Pretty clear he means how Yuri helped Yurio awaken a love for Skating. Romantic love doesn't really make sense within the context. But yeah, they admitted nothing.
Quite frankly if they don't have the balls to admit they are gay by this point they are just not going to.
Time stamp means the point in the episode he actually said it. Like 18 minutes 20 seconds in or something. You should be able to get one. But maybe you can't find it either. Only thing I found Was about yuri teaching victor through his life and love but that's ambiguous enough to refer to his love for skating.
Don't have time stamp
Episode is narrated by Victor
At the end Victor admits he's in love and mentions the other person is also
@Anon, Can you give me the timestamp on the episode? Scanning through it I don't see anything that suggests that.
Not joked
They admitted
No those were both me it's just the chat doesn't show it immediately so I posted again
@Masky, He's denied it before but it's pretty obvious he's trying to make it seem like someone's agreeing with him.
@Anon, admitted or joked?
So wait, is that same anon repeating himself or two different anons where second one copy pasted part of first one's post
They literally admitted a love triangle between the three main characters. You're in denial.
Are you kidding? This episode they outright admitted a love triangle between the three main characters. You're in denial.
I actually was going to admit that I was wrong when I heard about the "Kiss" and gladly do so. But when I watched the scene in question it's clear what I said is still correct. They will dance around it, sure. But never outright confirm it.
@Anon, discussed this before when the "Kiss" happened. Despite the series hinting it, and hinting it hard, it still hasn't outright confirmed it. While I am sure it is head canon to the watchers, the series itself is just queer baiting.
Okay... Just watched this week's Yuri on Ice. Haha things got weird again... and they so nailed Barcelona here, I recognized most of the places.
@anon527634: actually about that, I am a bit let down that after that "supposed kiss" in episode 7, no one in the series mentioned it again. Just like that "kiss" never happened.
So when is Aidan going to publicly admit he was wrong about the Yuri romance?
I loved the special ED so much.
Alright... Yuri this week was interesting in so many ways.
I'm also planning to catch BBK/BRK before the year end soon. I'm also find that series entertaining despite its obvious flaws
But come to think of it, I do know what its like to enjoy something admittedly flawed, the first season of utawerumono was like that for me, I have nothing but criticism of it in all aspects but yet ended up being one of those things I somehow enjoyed watching.
Ah, only flippflappers, natsume, drifters on my end.
I wonder if anyone here is still watching Bubuki Buranki? It's weird but despite how deeply flawed it is I find it fairly enjoyable. Though that fantastic soundtrack certainly helps.
@Anon, Oh they announced a Sonic movie too. Apparently it's a mix of live action and animation.
I am suprised SEGA didn't announce an Sonic movie and went with games like Altered Beast and Crazy Taxi, they probably could have just ripped off one story from the Archie Sonic comics and make an movie based on that, preferably the story where Sonic travels in the multiverse to fight an super powerful Sigma alongside Classic Megaman and Megaman X,Steet Fighter cast,Breath of Fire 3 cast and more
@Anon, A parody Grindhouse film actually could work. I consider Overkill the best of House of the dead. Thing is there actually is already a house of the dead movie so this would be their second attempt. The first attempt...lets just say it didn't work out.
And House Of The Dead: Overkill is probably the best game in the franchise to adapt, i mean, it has Isaac Washington in it and dude's awesome.
None of those games have much of a story, but at least House Of The Dead could make for an entertaining silly movie, i mean House Of The Dead: Overkill is freaking awesome and has silly cutscenes at the start and end of every level.
At most moonbeam city seems sylistically interesting.
Archer I simply lost track of and it ended up getting to long to catch up on it.
Relatively old news, although I've been joking with friends about what if scenarios for a streets of rage film. I know there is a cg/live action hybrid sonic film in the works. I kind of want to think a shinobi or streets of rage film could work if they went full on 70s style action film.
None of these games are played for the story. You would be better off just making a new game for them instead of a movie.
I haven't even seen Archer. On another note SEGA is planning a bunch of live action movies of their franchises and boy do they all sound like a horrible idea. Shinobi, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, The House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Streets of rage and Altered Beast.
@Anon522497: hmm, I found Moonbeam City underwhelmed and for Archer up until their last season I actually got a bit tired of the cast (couldn't finish that season 7)
If i wanted Archer i would just watch Archer or Moonbeam City like everyone else.
Bloodivores
Anyone here watching Pacific Heat? It's an Aussie Archer-ripoff aired in Netflix last week. I actually enjoyed the 1st episode, not that great but everyone panned it like a plague.
@Anon, Who?
#StephanieJaworowiczIsBeautiful
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.

Flip Flappers – 10 [Pure Jitter]

So her whole life is a lie, huh? Now that she realizes Yayaka’s friendship as a fake, Cocona’s partnership as a substitute, Flip Flapp organization downright used her for their gains, obaa-chan even betrayed her; Cocona is on a verge of complete breakdown, but who would’ve thought she transforms into the-other-dark-magical-girl-show level of insanity? Struck […]

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 10 [After-School Obbligato]

This season surely gives us too much of Kumiko-cuteness versions. After the fluffy little Kumiko last few weeks, the bedridden sore throat Kumiko, the surprisingly “always listening – always understanding” (such a pretentious slogan) Kumiko last week, what shades pf Kumiko is in store for us this week? Of course it’s an emo teary-eyes Kumiko. […]

Occultic;Nine – 09[Future Days]

The presentation of Occultic;Nine is starting to remind me of speed Racer, an anime from a bygone era which had a rather infamous dub. Basically due to the literal translation, the way which Japanese can say more with less words and the speed of dialogue it required the dub actors to say a large amount […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 10[Super-Hot! Back-to-Back Battle Events!]

I am really starting to dislike how this show is killing off the characters I grow remotely interested in while leaving only the dullest characters to carry the show. Don’t take that to mean I cared about the remaining twin angel that got killed off because her death was pretty deserved. But this cements the […]

Drifters – 09[Serious Bomber]

Drifters is at it’s best when the Orte are getting trounced and they are certainly getting a beating here. I could complain over how the Orte are one dimensional villains but after the master race bull and the concentration camp here they are quite literally Nazi’s at this point. Nazi’s are the one type of […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 08 [Image – Distant Thunder part 1]

We’re back with 3-gatsu no Lion after a week hiatus from sick leave (I know everyone got sick last week, be it in springtime in this corner of the world, or the start of winter elsewhere) and I’m glad that the show returns in good form. Kyouko might be the most distinctive character the show […]

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World Review – 91/100