Posted by psgels on 29 April 2012 with categories: Hyouka, Some Quick First Impressions

AKB0048

Short Synopsis: Our lead character wants to be an idol.
Okay, so like expected, my brain just exploded by all of the reasons in which this series just does not make sense. The premise, but also the small details and decisions the characters make; for god’s sake there are just so many things about this series that are in no way possible when you think about them. The good news however, is that this was the best first episode of an idol show that I’ve seen for a year now. For once, it had no annoying characters. Surprisingly, the voice actresses (presumably members of AKB48) actually take up on cues and actually are able to act a bit. It’s nothing stellar or anything, but I expected much blander and annoying than what we got here. And granted, the idol series for the past year aren’t really a big standard to live up to (Uta Prince, Symphogear, Pretty Rythm… only Idolmaster was anywhere near decent), but still this actually felt well paced and had decent writing. It caught my interest. The big question is how on earth are they going to about the ludicrous plot of this. In the original Macross, the idols made sense in the story and had an explanation, but ever since that seems to have gone more and more into the background for Shoji Kawamori. Having an evil government that bans music is by far not enough. Oh, and I also hope that the concert scenes will be better than what they showed in this episode. Ugly dancing CG is something that I don’t ever thing has been done right.
ED: Ugly dancing CG.
Potential: 60%

Hyouka

Short Synopsis: Our lead character gets to be friends with the school idol.
Well, in a season that has so many visually standing out series, Hyouka comes and joins them with some very realistic animation. Along with its own share of very artistic shots. Other than that, this was very solid for a first episode: the dialogue is all well written, and it uses its mystery very subtly by making its mysteries small, and then explaining them with ordinary logic. The characters are already dynamic and far from cliches and it’s definitely the most realistic high school series of this season. However, Kyoani: you are some amazing animators. So why do you always have to go back to high schools? There is a vast diversity of different settings that you could explore. Well, at the very least I’m happy enough because this finally is a show I’m interested in. It’s not just random antics but this episode is clearly building up to something, and with writing and animation that are so good I’m definitely going to follow it. My only fear would be that it would take too long to build up. This series is 21 episodes long, and if it uses this well it can turn into a great series. However if this starts pulling a Pesona 4 it can get boring quite fast.
OP: Nice use of the water ripple effect. The song’s boring, though.
Potential: 85%

1. Litho says:

Dunno about you (well, I do since you just wrote about it) but after all teh high-quality we’ve gotten this season, I found this one kinda boring. Granted, I’ve never been one for the whole highschool romance thing anyway.

• Jess says:

Hello!

Could someone please explain to me what in the world happened in the first episode?? I didn’t understand it at all??

Thanks!!

• Litho says:

The typical Clannad thing happened. Go outside and watch the grass on your lawn grow. It’s the same thing, basically.

2. Anonymous says:

Far from cliches?! Goddamn dude, you’re so wrong. The girl is the epitome of a Mary Sue character for god’s sake, how can you not see that?

• B. says:

Mary sue is such a vague definition anyway… Almost all female characters can be considered Mary Sues.

• Andmeuths says:

Every Female Main Character has certain “Suish” characteristics.

Come to think of it, it’s the same problem with male protagonist. Make them too talented, charismatic etc and you have a Gary Stu. Make them too generic, boring, average, wimpy, etc and you have a generic spineless Harem Male Protagonist. Rare it is that someone could be interesting without being Sueish.

And given all of that, I place more emphasis on setting above all. Generic Characters developing in a fascinating setting makes an acceptable story for me, so long as they aren’t so horribly written that you want to strangle the scriptwriters instead.

So, condemning the female lead as a Sue? Very well. Justify in what ways she’s a Sue, rather than simply tarring it with a generic, negative label. At this stage, it’s really too early to say much about her- what other sides do all these characters have to them? If a scriptwriter could develop characters to that depth in One Episode, I applaude them.

• Anca says:

Mary-Sues don’t necessarily refer to talented, charismatic characters. The term originally referred to an author self-insert, or a character that is basically everything the author wants to be. A lot of those generic harem leads are Mary-Sues.

Typically, they don’t fit the setting, are speshul in ridiculous and overblown ways, have gimmicks like moodring eyes, and everything gravitates around in an unnatural OOC fashion. They’re perfect, only have superficial flaws that only exist so they aren’t flawless, and often have tragic pasts (note, they also come from rich/royalty families).

Ouma Shu is a typical Gary Stu, but they aren’t THAT common. The definition has just become muddled to mean ‘character that isn’t well-written’.

(The term was originally used in fanfiction, for characters like, say, Princess Dark Rainbowstar, the main character’s twin sister whose eyes are glowing orbs that change color, and who has every male in canon lust after her. And things like that.)

• meow says:

Does she qualify as a Mary Sue? She’s cute and all but feels a bit ditzy and seems to show some stifling obsessive compulsive behavior. It just happens to be a match made in heaven for our male protagonist, who’s apparently a masochist who fantasizes about being attacked by beautiful female tentacle monsters. I think I can blame her sister using him regularly as an aikido practice dummy to get what she wants.

3. kurini says:

I really like the animation! It was much much better than I expected from the trailer I’ve watched and from kyoani!

4. F says:

Realistic animation? Did you mean realistic art? If so, then I will have to respectfully disagree.

5. rufe says:

Yea, definitely not realism, but it is GORGEOUS! The flower at the beginning had me going “KYOANI HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!” The changes of style for the various scenes was very well done as well.

Great acting, etc. I’m excited about this series.

6. Reverse says:

i really dislike the hair flower animation, it was bad

7. AidanAK47 says:

My problem with this episode was that the set up was too obvious. I kept getting Haruhi flashbacks. Plus I hope the mysteries are more challenging as the whole time they were wondering about the locked door I was muttering “It was the janitor. It was the janitor. It was the janitor…”

8. riddlekiller says:

Dudes, this was indeed a solid first episodes. The conversations were well done and it felt natural. The animation was fluid and it did not feel awkward. It might have started off slow but that’s what to expect with any first episode. Anyway, it is suppose to be slice of life and I do say, it was really well done.

9. meow says:

This guy is like a male Scheherazade. I wonder what he’ll cook up next.

10. TheDoorIntoSummer says:

Except for the animation, I didn’t like the episode at all (I’m gonna drop the series, in fact). I didn’t thought it was bad, I thought it was… boring and superfluous.

• meow says:

Hm…I think it’s too early to tell. KyoAni disappointed a lot of rabid Key fans in Japan turning down a Little Busters adaptation for this. And I think they threw a heck of a lot of money and effort into the animation. Are they known for errors in judgement?

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

Considering the last KyoAni anime I liked was Haruhi Suzumiya’s first season, maybe they don’t do errors in judgement, but surely they don’t cater to my tastes.

• Puran says:

You didn’t like disappearance?

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

Sorry, I meant “the last KyoAni series”. My bad.^^;
            (I didn’t see Disappearance, actually. My interest in Haruhi Suzumiya-related works is long gone now)

• meow says:

@tdis

Wow. Your loss.

Out of curiosity, what did you like about Haruhi’s first season in the first place?

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

Well, it had a good balance between the members of the cast, and between seriousness and wackiness. And it was also funny and well-acted.

• meow says:

MELANCHOLY OF SUZUMIYA HARUHI SPOILERS

Hm. Not sure if you’d like Disappearance then. What I liked about Haruhi was how it toyed with my imagination and exceeded my expectations. I was expecting a funny but mundane slice-of-life based around a typical pretty but super eccentric girl into sci-fi and the occult and the wacky adventures their club would go through. What I didn’t expect was for most of these crazy things to have some actual basis, as well as how it all came together somehow. It was a guessing game from start to finish, made all the more intriguing for it’s mixed up airing order and even seemingly mundane episodes had something to say. Remember the first episode? How weird was that? I didn’t even pick up that the cat was actually talking. I thought it was some weird dubbing scene. And then there were action scenes that blew my mind. Yuki’s knife fight scene beats a lot of stuff I see in action shows. I was so fascinated, I really wanted more and wound up following up on the translated novels to see what else this author had dreamt up. And I often wonder if Haruhi’s High School Festival episode with her excellently done concert scene was the reason for KyoAni doing the successful K-ON series. Haruhi was good slice-of-life sci-fi. If any of this resonates with you, I think you might want to give the second season and Disappearance a try. I get that people hate the second season for the Endless Eight arc but at least check out the Tanabata Festival episodes as it is linked to the Disappearance movie. You could watch it without the 2nd season but there will be a few scenes that will be a little bit like watching the 2nd Back to the Future movie without watching the first. Yes, there will be time travel. If that doesn’t excite you then, yes, please pass on Disappearance.

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

I think you got it wrong, Meow (because, admittedly, I didn’t actually specify that XD): I DID watch the second season. And that’s exactly why I promised myself I would not watch anything Haruhi-related anymore.

• meow says:

I still think you’re missing out on something great but yeah, different strokes for different folks. XD

11. Houlgrave says:

You’d have to be out of your mind to think that this particular debut was boring. Ever heard of a little thing called “atmosphere”? Good grief children. :/

At the very least, I’d say the two males leads show quite a bit of promise, and on top of that there’s no obvious overarching story structure, which leaves the possibilities wide open in a way that’s pretty refreshing for a high school setting.

Honestly, it’s a bit dispiriting that folks will write something off before giving it any chance whatsoever to develop. Not every series needs to be a Gurren Lagann or NGE in order to be worth your time after one freakin’ episode.

• TheDoorIntoSummer says:

I didn’t find any discernable “atmosphere” in there, sorry. And no promise whatsoever, also (except for the animation production, but I don’t watch animes solely because the animation is good).
      But hey, it’s just my taste. I just wanted to say my opinion, that’s all.XD

12. Vipsces says:

I actually enjoyed this one. Highschool shows usually bore the fuck out of me, but this one seemed pretty refreshing.

My one complain would be the forced exposition at times, especially between the 2 male leads…But luckily that will stop, now that they’ve introduced the characters properlly

I like how it talks a little about misteries, but it doesn’t make it seem like the whole point of the show, just a nice setting for the characters to develop.

• Puran says:

I kind of liked the “forced exposition” (not sure if I would call it that, but I get what you mean). It lacked subtelty, but in a overused setting such as this, you need things like that to make the characters somewhat interesting quickly.

I also liked the female lead. She doesn’t have much of a character right now, she just is “very” curious. So much that it’s infectious to other people. I liked how they showed that.

13. commenter says:

The interaction between the characters was very fluent and interesting for the setting. It looks like we’re going for more mysteries.

I liked how the friend of the male lead interacted with him. For once they make it seem like they’ve really known each other for a long time and thus understand each other to a degree. Usually these foils are just there to tie scenes to each other. Similarly, I like how you see the bias of the male lead in every scene. The way the curious girl made an impact on her, the way he’s imagining the mystery story…

Good stuff. I’ll be watching.

14. Scruffy says:

My only problem is that all I can hear when his best friend talks is Sunohara from Clannad. It’s the same voice actor and he seems to be a similar character type. Apart from that the show looked gorgeous. The scene as he walks into the room was the best IMHO, particularly how they made the camera move up and down a little as he walked into the room.

• rufe says:

Apparently Mr. Sakaguchi once said “no matter what I do now I’m Shinpachi”. That’s just the kind of voice he has I guess. (Mr. Sugita said, “sometimes the script just has written ‘say something funny here'”)

• Puran says:

“particularly how they made the camera move up and down a little as he walked into the room.”

That was CG actually.

• Scruffy says:

yup .. nice mix of CG and 2D animation there, particularly as the viewpoint changes slowly on the main girl (whos name I’ve already forgotton).

As to the Clannad duo .. at least according to wikipedia the neo-Sunohara has a love interest and is not an eternal looser like in Clannad. As to the lead girl I certainly don’t get any Clannad vibes.

• Stars says:

And the male lead is the seiyuu of Tomoya from Clannad, so I’ve already started thinking the backstory is similar for now.

15. Tofu says:

On ANN it’s listed as 12 episodes for Hyouka but 21 on MAL. Are you using MAL as the source when you stated that Hyouka is 21 episodes long or a different source?

• psgels psgels says:

I use neither, because both are inaccurate. ANN in particular only lists the episodes that are known for broadcast, not the total number of episodes. It has been officially announcd that Hyouka will have 21 episodes.

16. skyhack says:

Liked it. A lot. Liked the OP, too, but mostly for the nice acoustic work.

I’ll have to work on it.

And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.
*Looks at 3-gatsu screenshot*
Hina =< ; _ ; QmQ *cry**tears*
I am reasonably satisfied with how the houseki manga is in its latest chapters, coming together and the answers it gave.
@Nielo: wow, thanks. I'll definately pay more attention to that. Love to pick up those little details like that so I'm all ears if you pick up something else
I noticed that discord button. If more show up on it I'd consider joining it.
@Amagi: What will happen is that I'll end up marathoning it when more episodes get released, much like I did with first. The guy from the first series (Germain his name was) was a hard act to follow , so far I do think this is more enjoy than the little of the second season I saw.
SuperWooper
LOL, thanks for catching that.
@Wooper: I always enjoy "deep-friend" chicken as well. Tasty, taysty

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 25/26 [June/Ladybug Bush/Feelings]

During the bizarre cold open of this makeshift two-parter, the thought flashed across my mind: are we getting one last bit of frivolity before the other shoe drops, or is wackiness the new normal for 3-gatsu? Over the last couple weeks, we’ve witnessed a lot of exaggerated behavior from characters like Hiyashida-sensei, Nikaidou, and even […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100