Posted by psgels on 29 April 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Nazo na Kanojo X – 03: What sets the soundtrack of this series on top of all of the others is hard to describe, but that one track it has that it always plays at the episode climaxes brings out a ton of emotion. – ** (Excellent)
#2: Natsuiro Kiseki – 04: That rock is very cruel: toying with the wishes of teenaged girls, and giving them a big middle finger when they try to fix it. Nevertheless though, this episode once again had some really good character development. I also really like how well this show uses the fact that some of its characters are athletic, while others aren’t. – ** (Excellent)
#3: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 16: I love how the creators are able to take everyday situations, throw a bit of sadism into them, and make them fun. That Civet cat in particularly worked well with that in this episode. – ** (Excellent)
#4: Shirokuma Cafe – 04: You know I could complain about how Panda was annoying again and all. But they actually showed the polar bear driving a car this episode! The drive-through part in particular was awesome. It’s very hard to correctly explain why this series is so good to someone who has never seen it, though. – ** (Excellent)
#5: Kimi to Boku – 17: This episode was about the twins. Quite refreshing to see the blond kid completely gone. Quite heart-warming to see some of the conflicts between them. – *+ (Great)
#6: Jormungand: The crazy obsessive lesbian is a trope that seriously needs to die. What’s wrong with having just a regular lesbian on the cast? I did like the tension that the boy soldier created in this episode, though. – * (Good)
#7: The Legend of Korra – 03: Very good fight scenes, and the real introduction of the resistance holds potential, but the amount of cliches in the first half was a bit annoying, and this show has this “Saturday Morning Cartoon’-feel to it. – * (Good)
#8: Hunter X Hunter – 28: It’s finally time for the introduction of Nen, the single best power system of any shounen out there. And it lacks a bit of subtlety here. The creators just send waves of random CG without much variation to Gon and Killua. At the very least, comparing the old and new version with each other has given me a new appreciation for how well the 1999 version was made, regardless of how accurate it may have been to the manga. – * (Good)
#9: Medaka Box: If a character is good or bad at handwriting: SHOW this. Don’t just have random characters claim this. Don’t tell me that your animators only know how to do flashy action-scenes, Gainax. – (Enjoyable)
#10: Sankarea – 04: Very annoying episode with lots of cliches. Especially that cousin and those classmates are not interesting to watch at all, not to mention that the creators actually went for a “walking into the shower scene”. this episode was saved by Rea’s changes and development.
#11: Saint Seiya Omega – 04: Rather boring training episode with generic RPG element explanation. – (Enjoyable)

Introducing this season’s Kaleidoscope. I like to experiment with these things, as it’s the perfect format to try out different stuff. This time, because there are so many series that stand out, I’m going to do a ranking: from best to worst, the episodes that caught my attention the most each week of all of the series that I’m not fully blogging, followed by a small blurb for each series (blurbs can also just be “unimpressive”, otherwise it would just take up too much time for some shows). This way I can also share my thoughts of Hunter X Hunter, without having to dedicate an entire entry to it (although I will remove it from this list as soon as the Hunter X Hunter fanbase arrives again and starts telling me how I should enjoy my series…).

Every week on Sunday I will post a new entry for this Kaleidoscope, with weeks beginning on Sunday and ending on Saturday this time. I usually try to have weeks start on Monday, but this is much more convenient because nothing airs on Friday and Saturday, allowing me time to catch up (not to mention the ungodly amounts of series that air all at the same time on Sunday, on top of me being very busy on most Sundays with this thing called real life), and I’ll update this entry as the week goes along.

Also, as for the series that didn’t make the cut (meaning the series that I’m not going to watch this season):
Arashi no Yoru ni ultimately isn’t worth it. It’s overacted and I’ve already seen the story before.
Accel World has some potential, but it doesn’t have any interesting characters whatsoever, not to mention that it’s got a pretty dull and annoying male lead.
Tasogare Otome Amnesia has really bad acting. Plus, the girl turns round and the guy immediately goes for her boob. Now that’s bad fanservice that needs to die.
Kuroko no Basuke, I don’t think that it can really improve beyond what it has shown here. It’s still a jump series full of shounen powers, and it will probably follow a very constraining format. It in any case doesn’t live up to the standard that sports series have set in the past.
– I actually enjoyed the first two episodes of Saki. However, that got me thinking: the reason I enjoyed them so much, and why I actually managed to finish the first Saki, is because there were no Mahjong battles. I’m bailing out while I still can, because those mahjong matches in the first season were just an insult.
Shining Hearts needs more ambition. The characterization isn’t good enough to make this a good slice of life series, and for an adventure it just goes nowhere with an entire episode being dedicated to… a nasty storm.
Acchi Kocchi fails for me as a slice of life due to its annoying characters.
Kuromajo-San ga Tooru also lacks ambition and is just too dull.
– And then there are comedies like Gon, Haiyore, Zombie and Jewel Pet, which just aren’t funny enough to warrant a watch.

1. meow says:

Hm. I need to find a place that covers Accel World. I love cyberpunk and am also very curious about how a shounen action story that’s willing to risk a loser like this as it’s protagonist will go. Now this is going out of your typical shounen comfort zone. Well, somehow it reminds me of the Toaru series though, which is sometimes hit and miss for me.

@Amnesia. Um…actually I found this series refreshing. I usually won’t touch horror with a 10-foot stick but somehow blending slapstick comedy has got me hooked, while still keeping this deep underlying unease about how some of the horror could turn out. I’m actually intrigued.

@Shining Hearts. Mmmm…no, you’re right, you shouldn’t blog it. Not your style. Not with this much competition. And I agree, there’s not much to hook you…yet. They’re really slow baking this one. This is a 13 episode season right? I wonder if they have enough episodes to cover the whole game. At this pace, somehow I doubt they could get past introducing the whole cast. Hmm…

2. Anca says:

Ah, it’s such a pity you’re dropping Arashi no Yoru ni; the premise and execution seem incredibly well-done to me and give me Erin vibes, although I haven’t seen the movie. Plus it’s going to have 50 episodes, that HAS to be enough to do something.

On the other hand, I’m really happy we’ll get your opinions on HxH again.

• Anca says:

That said, I just realised you’re dropping several series you rated >70% in potential in the first impressions. Is it exaggerated to call this the best single season ever, counting the series still that carried over?

3. Kim says:

So just a question are you blogging Legend of Korra by any chance? I know it’s not anime but I would have loved to hear your thoughts on it.

4. Rio says:

Will you be looking at Shirokuma Cafe? It feels like not many people are watching it :(

• Kim says:

Oh yeah I love Shirokuma Cafe as well. :)

It might be a difficult series to blog though because it is so reliant on its comedy and what are you going to do tell the jokes in the blog? It doesn’t exactly have a plot beyond that.

5. pata says:

You gotta blog Nazo no Kanojo X! It’s really nostalgic! All that symbolisms in the opening, the dancing, the flirting… It’s like watching a 80-90’s romance anime opening…

I don’t like the direction in Accel World, somehow the director fails to show some drama between the characters. Episode 3 sucked a lot… The scene in the cafe, explaining abour the Accelerated World was very cheap. I know that they’re speaking in their minds but really? You had to make it interesting, show some flahbacks or whatsoever…

• meow says:

Gotta disagree about the simple explanation. Keeps the mystery alive. From what’s she said, she could easily be the villain in this story but we still don’t know enough about the setting. And it seems like a very good one. It seems like a terribly useful feature to give away to people for free but why the weird restrictions? And what might be the hidden costs?

• pata says:

Yeah, they did a good job for making the girl a mystery. Is she a friend or a foe? thing. I was refering to the second part, in the scene where she asks “Why do you hate yourself?”. In the anime, all he said is “Of Course, I hate myself…” THAT’S ALL. While in the LN and the manga, “Hate? Of Course I hate myself! I’m fat and ugly. I sweat all the time and I look like a weakling. I don’t have a single trait to be proud of!”

• meow says:

Can’t comment on the manga but I can identify with this protagonist very well as is. Plus I’m curious how far they’ll take the cyberpunk elements of this story. They could keep it simple with a basic fight-to-the-top premise or it could go metaphysical like Zegapain or Baldr Sky.

• AidanAK47 says:

My issue with the explanation is that it lacked emotion. Kurohime practically admitted that she betrayed the whole of the accelerated world. In the novel it came across as a moment of vulnerability for her. Then when Haru made the RPG analogy it showed that he not only understood her position but actually agreed with it. It made me think “Finally, a protagonist with brains.”

But in the anime it was like
            Kurohime: “Hey I cut off the red kings head and betrayed burst linkers everywhere.”
            Haru: “Oh, really?”
            They need to take a lesson from fate/zero on presenting dialogue.

• meow says:

But in the anime it was like
            Haru: “Oh, really?”

Okay. Didn’t read the novel so I have no idea what analogy you’re talking about but I still buy this scene. Haru does seem to have some brains, and may have a basic grasp of what the Brain Burst ability may be used but I get the impression he doesn’t care about that as much as he cares about having a relationship with Kuroyuki, the girl he’s been admiring from afar for a very long time. Any justification he gives for his position feels like rationalization in an effort to hide his real feelings/motives rather than admit them and risk rejection/ostracization. I don’t know that it’s even occurred to him yet how vital Brain Bursting may be for some people towards their quality of life or that getting to level 10 means having to beat several other level 9s, possibly including Kuroyuki herself. I wonder if it’s occurred to him that Kuroyuki might be raising him up to be “harvested” at Level 9. Heck, maybe it has and he’d volunteer for it willingly. It seems like a good choice considering the potential costs of using this system. This Brain Burst system really reminds me of overclocking a CPU. Great for short term performance but you risk damaging the CPU and it definitely reduces it’s useful life. Nothing has burned up yet because the CPUs are all still brand new and there are limiters in place. And the purpose of the game could be to identify high-spec CPUs. For what purpose?

6. jzar says:

What happened to Ozma?

7. Sam says:

What about Korra and Ginga e Kickoff?

8. citizenofulysses says:

So what does that leave us with for the kaleidoscope? Jormungand, Nazo no Kanojo X, and Medaka Box? Anything else?

9. AidanAK47 says:

The OST of Mysterious girlfriend X is great. It’s strange that such quality can come from a man with a fairly weak resume. Sure he was behind Nana but he also did Dears, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, D.N.Angel…

10. jreding says:

@Kuromajo-san: This is my favourite show this season. But I admit that it’s not quite intellectually challenging and that the whole script may well be shorter than your average post length.

• Cholisose says:

I’m enjoying Kuromajo-san as well. The first ep felt too rushed, but ep 2 and 3 were lots of fun, and really adorable. It has a feel to it that reminds me a bit of Cardcaptor Sakura (albeit watered-down, perhaps).

I also was surprised by how much I liked Acchi Kocchi (at least the first two eps–haven’t gotten to the third yet). Really funny and cute. The characters are a fun, likeable bunch.

• hal says:

I’m also watching Kuromajo. It has Romi Paku, is a show about witches and it’s not as cutey pink as most little girls shows are. Enough to keep me watching. And I like how it’s more of a slice of life than some random world saving. I like those kinds of shows.

on another note: I’m surprised by you covering Korra. Probably to please those people, who are constantly asking about it. However I also do enjoy it somehow, so it’s interesting to see your insight.
        I also like your new Kaleidoscope. I always thought this format would be much better than full fledged reviews of one episode, since there are some series, you just can’t say much about.

• Firechick says:

Yeah. I love Kuromajo-san too. It made me smile. It’s so cute! In a way it reminds me of Ojamajo Doremi (which, Psgels, you seriously NEED to watch!!!).

11. Nayrael says:

psgels said: and this show has this “Saturday Morning Cartoon’-feel to it

Well, it IS a Saturday Morning Cartoon AFIK ^_^;

12. Myna says:

Korra IS a Saturday morning cartoon…

13. Melona says:

…what happened to Sankarea?

It’s been getting a good amount of praise for it’s execution and the fact that DEEN finally decided to put some effort into their art direction. I was really hoping to hear your thoughts on how its progressed, especially after that rather scathing first impression.

14. tk007 says:

Yes. That Waltz soundtrack from Nazo no Kanojo is really the top of the season. I’m found myself looking forward to it every episode : )
    Anyone have the title of that soundtrack?

15. RABUJOI says:

Nazo no(na??) Kanojo X is our favorite series of the Spring so far. It’s clever, earnest, cheeky, and extremely fun to watch.

Sticking with Accel World for now; few anime series have a main character with dwarfism and I for one salute their commitment to diversity. Medaka Box also features a little person in Shiranui, though she’s comic relief.

Gave Shining Hearts a chance, and while we like the fantasy setting, nothing spectacular stood out at us.

• meow says:

About Kanoko X, I’d like it more if there was less…. spit. XD I don’t know why but it just really makes me go ewww.

About Shiranui, I gotta say, while I usually tend to dislike loli characters, I like Bakemonogatari’s Hachikuji’s sharp wit. It’s great to see a similar character here.

About Shining Hearts, ah darn it, should I spoil? People who wash up to this island usually don’t have any memory of their lives before they get here. And usually, ever time someone washes up, it’s during a storm. There is a very special significance to storms in this world. And that girl that just washed up is a key figure to this whole story. Well, I don’t know if I can truly recommend this show. It’s up against really stiff competition. I’m following it because I played Shining Hearts raw and could use some translations to explain some of the finer points to the story.

• kin says:

Since I appreciate superbly executed slice-of-life and comedy in general, this season really does it for me with Kanoko X and Shirokuma Cafe. I do have to agree with the others above commenting that Kanoko X’s OST is quite excellent.

Shining Hearts and Accel World just look strange. Animators need to put thought and execution into their works, not just zany art and surrealist imagery. To each his own, I guess.

16. moochi2000 says:

I actually find kuroku no basuke pretty interesting, maybe it’s because i like to stare at goodlooking guys lol. i’ll probably have to look elsewhere for reviews then =p

• KaZuHiRo says:

Me too. I’m gonna follow Kuroko no Basuke since it’s been a while since I’ve seen an anime about basketball (Basquash! – it was a fun ride). Let’s see what can this accomplish.

17. Da5id says:

“this show has this ‘Saturday Morning Cartoon’-feel to it”

YOU DON’T FUCKING SAY? I thought it had a “Monday Late Afternoon Experimental Film” feel to it.

For god’s sakes, think about how this sounds before you post it.

18. Momo says:

Episode 4 of Omega was definitely much weaker than episode 3; Ryuho isn’t a bad character but he certainly is a relatively boring one.

19. anon says:

As the others said Korra usually airs 11am EST in America on Saturdays, so yeah it is a Saturday morning cartoon. But I don’t think that’s any reason to discredit it. Batman the Animated Series was a Saturday morning cartoon and it’s considered to be a classic animated series for both children and adults. There’s a reason Korra and Avatar the Last Airbender has the large audience it has. It’s a smart show, which is well researched and has a variety of characters you can enjoy.

While the target audience is obviously children because it airs on Nickelodeon, the creators certainly don’t close off the series to an older fanbase and they put a lot of work into making the show stylish and a deviation from the standard “people can control the four elements” type of show.

It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and admittedly the show does operate on some level with the assumption that you also watched it’s predecessor, Avatar the Last Airbender, but I think it works as a stand alone well. Just my two cents.

20. Al Pacino says:

Nothing wrong with Judmun, you are wrong, you never say for Yuno crazy obcesive STRAIGH GIRL who need to die when she was more extremely, you are just be homofobic in one point without you know.

21. ougon says:

Is it just me, or did Jormungand just feature one of the most painfully inept gunfight scenes in modern anime history? Are you telling me that that white haired kid could run straight at a shielded opponent firing a gun from almost point blank range and not get shredded to bits? And what the hell was Koko’s team doing biding their time, waxing philosophical, and not doing anything? How the hell do you dispatch a sniper team with a height advantage with assault rifles? Is this some badly balanced FPS? Why didn’t the idiot assassins just kill Koko instead of taunting her? It was like a litany of the worst tropes of bad combat scenes rolled into one disastrous episode. Dropping this immediately.

• Anca says:

Considering in reality gunshots only have about a 5% chance of killing you, and it’s quite hard to hit anything with one (unlike what Hollywood tells us) it wasn’t THAT bad.

• psgels psgels says:

Well, I think the problem is that afterwards he blows two snipers away with perfect shots and starts bragging about how easy they are to hit. Not very consistent.

• Pax says:

What!?…”in reality gunshots only have about a 5% chance of killing you”, “hard to hit anything with one”…where did you come up with this stats? yeah Hollywood offers us a lot of unrealistic fights and anime does the same, but in reality a special trained human can be quite an efficient killing machine.ofc if you have no training…that’s something else.

• Anca says:

One gunshot wound is unlikely to kill you (na there are people who’ve survived with 100), and if a doctor happens to be there you’ll more than likely survive. Headshots and wounds to the heart have also been survived countless times, and shots anywhere else on the body – well, chances are that they won’t even slow you down with the adrenaline coursing through your veins. So called “fatal shots” leave you around 2 minutes of normal activity, and scoring one of these is a matter of luck.

In other word, guns are pretty crappy weapons. US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan used roughly 250000 bullets per rebel killed, that’s how effective they are. Even swords have a better track record.

• ougon says:

But the white haired kid didn’t even get hit once. You’d have thought if pointy-teeth could dispatch two snipers from a fifty feet he’d be able to pepper a guy running straight at him at near point blank range. It’s just lazy choreography.

22. Green says:

I do not see any obsessive lesbian behavior in Valmet’s action. Is it obsessive to feel happy when you secure a date? Or when you are buying present for someone you love? There are so many inconsistencies in the gunfight to comment on, yet you choose to comment on something irrelevant… again. Weird… Nah, it’s probably me who is weird, I always wonder if we are watching the same thing.

• Sei says:

Well, to each his own, but I feel the lesbian thing of Valmet is a bit gimmick-y. I have read her backstories in the manga, and I think it could do well without that element. The ways she fangirls over Koko during the 3 episodes gets old quickly. That’s being said, maybe we have different standard. The only case when I feel a lesbian character is handled well is Juri in Utena.

23. conyo985 says:

Considering the Legend of Korra is an American cartoon you really have to judge it for what it is. It is hard not to be biased and I do get that but please take it to consideration when you are blogging this cartoon. The series has to be kid friendly in order for the children to be amused but I’ve gotta hand it to the creators of the show even us “adults” are entertained. I have finished the Avatar: The Last Airbender a year ago and for a kids cartoon it has a lot of depth in it. I have full confidence that Legend of Korra will be great.

• Anca says:

That’s like asking to judge shonen series only compared to other shonen series, and ecchi harems only compared to other ecchi harems.

• animedude411 says:

different shows, and kinds of shows are made and styled differently. you kind of have to judge them based on what other similar kinds of shows there are. you would never judge romantic comedy shojou for example, to the fighting animation in a shounen. there verry different styles, and thus have to be assesed differently. so whereas eastern animation is set up a certian way, have there own tropes, and styles of story telling. western animation also have there own styles and tropes. i think what conyo985 is saying, is that you have to view korra (and avatar) as a western animation with there specific tropes and storytelling conventions in mind. they are heavilly inspired by anime, but they are not. they are western animations, specifically for children, and should be assesed and viewed as such. im not saying go easy on them, but veiw them differently

24. meow says:

#10: Sankarea – 04: Very annoying episode with lots of cliches.

So my mind has been reeling by the bombshells dropped in the last two episodes. I’ve been wondering how this story could possibly have a happy ending as well as some foreboding as to whether it might dissolve into something like RE or HSOTD or possibly R&J. What’s going to happen to Rea? What will the Sankas do? How will everyone react to Rea? I’m sorry to say I’m a bit disappointed that Psgels’ most visible reaction to this series is it’s annoying cliches/fanservice. Personally, I think it’s meant as a reassurance to the audience that this story isn’t suddenly switching to the survival horror genre. Personally I’m wondering about how Chihiro will deal with Rea. Seeing him fall for her might be like watching a boy fall in love with a pretty girl dying of cancer.

Nielllo
@SuperMario: I really recommend The Legend of the Sun Knight novel. Think it's something you'll probably enjoy quite a bit. It's quite cleverly written. You can read the official fan translation online.
@Mario: A top ten film list for me is even harder, I can't even attempt.
Akumetsu> death note
FITE ME.
Gunslinger girl gets such a strong mention from me because I feel that action stories often work better when you care about the characters.
<No Freesia adaptation
<No Eden adaptation
<No full production IG Alita film series
<why live =<
Nielllo
@SuperMario: There are some anime I'm not going to watch just because the manga is superior, period. Good examples are Monster and One Piece.
Nielllo
@Eoghan: Oh, I knew about Wolfram mangaka's apprenticeship already :p
@Mario: First however, When mountains may depart, By Jia Zhangke, I am full romance mood.
Planetes and Vinland saga have to go somewhere on a list. Oddly they share the same creator.
@Mario: Reminds me Dreams by Kim-ki-duk.
@Niello: I mentioned Dorohedoro's author was Nihei's apprentice, but heres another interesting one, the mangaka for Wolfram apprentice under BOTH Kento Miura and Kaoru Mori.
@Kaiser: gladly. On Body and Soul is a weird mix of romance drama, character study and a weirdly magical bond between two people who share the same dream. That weirdness is what make the movie so memorable, although I do feel the ending stays out its welcome
Nihei, Umezu and Itou belong somewhere among my favourite mangaka.
I don't know why you'd mix manga/anime together, but my own top 10 is in my profile (click over my username), I've included anime/ movies together but if the list is purely anime shows I'd add Haibane Reimen as #9 and Humanity Has Declined as #10
Nielllo
Apart from Kyousougiga which is always no.1, and The Legend of the Sun Knight, Dorohedoro, Shinsekai Yori and Monster whose places are swappable, the rest I'm quite flexible with. Saint Seiya is in if it's a favorite list, and out among the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality list, with the exception of The Lost Canvas.
Nielllo
Hmmm, atm it's 1. Kyousougiga (a) 2. Monster (m) 3. Dorohedoro (m) 4. Shinsekai Yori (n) 5. Baccano! (a) 6. Ran to Haiiro no Sekai (m) 7. Saint Seiya (my guilty pleasure, I can't defend it in anyway) 8. Franken Fran (m) 9. The Legend of the Sun Knight (n)(1st tier comedy) 10. Haibane Renmei/Toradora!.Honorable mentions to Gamaran, Beck, GTO, Mushishi, Kaiba and Grave of the Fireflies.
Damn....its a harder question to answer than it looks =<
Although Cruel God reigns in heaven would com close.
Nah, nothing would dethrone Gunslinger girl for me.
Or even Utena but I feel it somewhat overated as I do Bebop despite enjoying both.
One of those on the top ten could easily be switched for honey and clover.
I also love the works of Shimura Takkako, early takahashi and early Clamp.
Shiki would work its way onto a recent favourites list.
My favourite visual novels are Kara no shoujo, saya no uta and Sharin no kuni.
I've a soft spot for ah my goddess, basara, 7 seeds , nanoha and Red river.
If I was making more modern lists for recent favourites I'd probably add flipflappers somewhere or yuasas works.
Eh my top ten by mixing manga and anime into the same list? 1. Gunslinger (both) girl 2. Ghost in the shell (anime) 3. Earl cain saga (manga) 4. Angel Sanctuary (manga) 5. Texhnolyze (anime) 6. Lain (anime) 7. Perfect blue (anime) 8. Fruits basket (manga) 9. Monster 10. Kare kano.
Nielllo
I don't think anything will ever dethrone Kyousougiga for me though.
Nielllo
I still need to watch Tatami Galaxy and a bunch of other staple shows...
We could put out a site-author Top 10 list sometime maybe... Some of mine are Mushishi, Steins;Gate, Tatami Galaxy and Your Lie in April. Its got a spectrum of genre.
Nielllo
So what are people's top 10?
silver
Certainly on my top 10 list I have works adapted from VNs, manga, novels, LNs, and originals. I just think originals have a higher rate of efficient visual storytelling compared to adaptations
silver
@Kaiser: I like SEL and Haibane and texhnolyze is on my ever-growing list of things to watch. I also really like Gurren Lagen and Kill la Kill although they're both better if you've seen enough anime to know what they're parodying. My ex who loathed most anime because of the aforementioned over-exposition issue also introduced me to Dennou Coil which I really enjoyed.
@Mario: Body and soul just got released on a webdl , sell me on the film if you can =)
@Silver: Texhnolyze/Lain/Haibane are excellent examples.
silver
I think original anime offers a different experience than adaptations, particularly regarding 'show don't tell.' By necessity most anime source material is dialogue and exposition heavy and can't always utilize the medium efficiently. Of course, I've watched masterpieces adapted from every kind of source, so it's all good
Niello
I'd love to see this thing animated some day. Preferably with movie budget: http://thepropertyofhate.com/TPoH/Ex position/312
Niello
@Eoghan: Try searching in some Asian languages and you might have better luck.
silver
Most open-minded people I talk with don't have anything against animated entertainment. Shows like Bob's Burgers, Archer, and Bojack Horseman have carved a modern niche for 'adult' animation. Having a show about talking alcoholic horse would be pretty cheesy with live action.
Niello
Never mind, Mario said it. But I also don't agree that idol shows or incest shows are intrinsically bad. On top of idol being a trend in Japan first and anime pick it up because it's part of the culture.
The reason people see the worst side of things, is because that is what is made most on the surface and immediate,
Niello
@Amagi: Considering that all the ones you listed are originally manga, I think you should give manga more credit...
And by finding I mean, hard to buy or torrent .
The infuriating thing is how poorly distributed some things are. I hate seeing Godammn blurays of shit hollywood films everywhere and I have to struggle to find some old/quality eastern film.
I think it's the same problem as with endless shounen. Sometimes series get dragged on purpose to make more money.
The tons of seasons is what scares me away sometimes
I keep thinking, why pad a 90 minute-9 1/2 hour story in a billion one hour per episode seasons.
Yeah it's always like that, with cinema movies too.
I also hate ensemble/mosaic storytelling for the larger part, with some exceptions.
I know this excuse won't work with people who love serialized live-action tv dramas but...I don't like most tv shows because of how padded they are and that they go on far too long and the acting is tv standard and not film standard.
I dont want TV that much, but my experience has been there are very few shows worth watching. Just like anime.
Well, in the argument that anime has alot of bad trends to, I would say so does regular television. How many TVs per year are as good/acclaimed in the "best" anime of each season are in the community?
I think it's just sad that there are so many people (the big majority) that refuse to watch cartoons in general because they consider them as either childish or a worse version of "real" series. They'll always miss the good sides anime/manga have and therefore certain sub-genres as a whole.
@SuperMario: Yeah you're right. I should have specified it to Japanese drawn media in general (VNs too). And yeah most anime/manga are rather trashy or blatantly bad. But the good series are often something live acting can't create and we'd miss without Japan. There are good cartoons too, though
... original ones: Cowboy Bebop, EVA, Flip Flappers, Kaiba, etc
@amagi: I almost agree with everything you said, but we might give anime too much credits. Remember it's a medium that responsible for many, many bad trends: idol shows, incest shows, tentacle hentai shows and so on so forth. The shows you listed here are come from manga as well, and they are strong manga materials to begin with. If I choose an example of what anime can achieve I'd point to some..
This season is really good and it shows how lacking fiction would be without anime. Stuff like Shuumatsu, Houseki or even Mahoutsukai can only exist as anime. It's something live acting script writers would never come up with, not to mention that a lot would be lost without the respective drawing styles, be it the moe blobbs of Shuumatsu or the CGI hair, grass and camera movement of Houseki.
btw I really liked this Mahoutsukai no Yome episode. Finally we are getting somewhere
@Kaiser: You're right, totally forgot that. Looking forward to this. Also I could have sworn I heard about a new project from Iso (Dennou Coil) last year but I guess I either confused him with someone else or with Children of Ether in which he's involved in some kind of way.
@Amagi: That series was going to be devilman crybaby .
Wasn't Yuasa also doing a series of some sort this year? Haven't watched the movies yet but I loved most of his stuff so far, with Kaiba being my favorite.
Wow, Houseki did not disappoint for me this week.
I enjoyed it for what it was. But I'd say even if you didn't read the subs you probably wouldn't have much trouble following it.
I actually had a look and lu over the wall, coincidentally , there are moments of where Yuasa's imagination/visuals shine through and its a genuinely charming film at times, but it does almost outstay its welcome and there's a sense Yuasa was somewhat restrained this time round, it IS a kids movie and that kind of does need to be taken into account, its not AS mad as mind game or kemonozume.
Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta is subbed, but no idea if the subs are good
And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?

Girls’ Last Tour – 07 [Labyrinth – Cooking]

After one of the most plot-heavy episode last week, Girls’ Last Tour goes back to its minimalist root this time, with only the girls and two interior settings. This could be Girls’ Last Tour’s simplest episode, with the plot can be summed up as those girls go to the ration production facility, at first slightly […]

Inuyashiki – 6 [People of 2chan]

This week Inuyashiki fulfills last weeks predictions in a rather unexpected way. Strap in for some suicide, mass murder and the tail-spin of everyone’s favorite sociopath. Lets jump in! Rather than being a parallel between our two heroes like usual, this episode is focused almost entirely on Hiro. To me, this episode hits loosely on […]

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100