Posted by psgels on 29 April 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Nazo na Kanojo X – 03: What sets the soundtrack of this series on top of all of the others is hard to describe, but that one track it has that it always plays at the episode climaxes brings out a ton of emotion. – ** (Excellent)
#2: Natsuiro Kiseki – 04: That rock is very cruel: toying with the wishes of teenaged girls, and giving them a big middle finger when they try to fix it. Nevertheless though, this episode once again had some really good character development. I also really like how well this show uses the fact that some of its characters are athletic, while others aren’t. – ** (Excellent)
#3: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 16: I love how the creators are able to take everyday situations, throw a bit of sadism into them, and make them fun. That Civet cat in particularly worked well with that in this episode. – ** (Excellent)
#4: Shirokuma Cafe – 04: You know I could complain about how Panda was annoying again and all. But they actually showed the polar bear driving a car this episode! The drive-through part in particular was awesome. It’s very hard to correctly explain why this series is so good to someone who has never seen it, though. – ** (Excellent)
#5: Kimi to Boku – 17: This episode was about the twins. Quite refreshing to see the blond kid completely gone. Quite heart-warming to see some of the conflicts between them. – *+ (Great)
#6: Jormungand: The crazy obsessive lesbian is a trope that seriously needs to die. What’s wrong with having just a regular lesbian on the cast? I did like the tension that the boy soldier created in this episode, though. – * (Good)
#7: The Legend of Korra – 03: Very good fight scenes, and the real introduction of the resistance holds potential, but the amount of cliches in the first half was a bit annoying, and this show has this “Saturday Morning Cartoon’-feel to it. – * (Good)
#8: Hunter X Hunter – 28: It’s finally time for the introduction of Nen, the single best power system of any shounen out there. And it lacks a bit of subtlety here. The creators just send waves of random CG without much variation to Gon and Killua. At the very least, comparing the old and new version with each other has given me a new appreciation for how well the 1999 version was made, regardless of how accurate it may have been to the manga. – * (Good)
#9: Medaka Box: If a character is good or bad at handwriting: SHOW this. Don’t just have random characters claim this. Don’t tell me that your animators only know how to do flashy action-scenes, Gainax. – (Enjoyable)
#10: Sankarea – 04: Very annoying episode with lots of cliches. Especially that cousin and those classmates are not interesting to watch at all, not to mention that the creators actually went for a “walking into the shower scene”. this episode was saved by Rea’s changes and development.
#11: Saint Seiya Omega – 04: Rather boring training episode with generic RPG element explanation. – (Enjoyable)

Introducing this season’s Kaleidoscope. I like to experiment with these things, as it’s the perfect format to try out different stuff. This time, because there are so many series that stand out, I’m going to do a ranking: from best to worst, the episodes that caught my attention the most each week of all of the series that I’m not fully blogging, followed by a small blurb for each series (blurbs can also just be “unimpressive”, otherwise it would just take up too much time for some shows). This way I can also share my thoughts of Hunter X Hunter, without having to dedicate an entire entry to it (although I will remove it from this list as soon as the Hunter X Hunter fanbase arrives again and starts telling me how I should enjoy my series…).

Every week on Sunday I will post a new entry for this Kaleidoscope, with weeks beginning on Sunday and ending on Saturday this time. I usually try to have weeks start on Monday, but this is much more convenient because nothing airs on Friday and Saturday, allowing me time to catch up (not to mention the ungodly amounts of series that air all at the same time on Sunday, on top of me being very busy on most Sundays with this thing called real life), and I’ll update this entry as the week goes along.

Also, as for the series that didn’t make the cut (meaning the series that I’m not going to watch this season):
Arashi no Yoru ni ultimately isn’t worth it. It’s overacted and I’ve already seen the story before.
Accel World has some potential, but it doesn’t have any interesting characters whatsoever, not to mention that it’s got a pretty dull and annoying male lead.
Tasogare Otome Amnesia has really bad acting. Plus, the girl turns round and the guy immediately goes for her boob. Now that’s bad fanservice that needs to die.
Kuroko no Basuke, I don’t think that it can really improve beyond what it has shown here. It’s still a jump series full of shounen powers, and it will probably follow a very constraining format. It in any case doesn’t live up to the standard that sports series have set in the past.
– I actually enjoyed the first two episodes of Saki. However, that got me thinking: the reason I enjoyed them so much, and why I actually managed to finish the first Saki, is because there were no Mahjong battles. I’m bailing out while I still can, because those mahjong matches in the first season were just an insult.
Shining Hearts needs more ambition. The characterization isn’t good enough to make this a good slice of life series, and for an adventure it just goes nowhere with an entire episode being dedicated to… a nasty storm.
Acchi Kocchi fails for me as a slice of life due to its annoying characters.
Kuromajo-San ga Tooru also lacks ambition and is just too dull.
– And then there are comedies like Gon, Haiyore, Zombie and Jewel Pet, which just aren’t funny enough to warrant a watch.

1. meow says:

Hm. I need to find a place that covers Accel World. I love cyberpunk and am also very curious about how a shounen action story that’s willing to risk a loser like this as it’s protagonist will go. Now this is going out of your typical shounen comfort zone. Well, somehow it reminds me of the Toaru series though, which is sometimes hit and miss for me.

@Amnesia. Um…actually I found this series refreshing. I usually won’t touch horror with a 10-foot stick but somehow blending slapstick comedy has got me hooked, while still keeping this deep underlying unease about how some of the horror could turn out. I’m actually intrigued.

@Shining Hearts. Mmmm…no, you’re right, you shouldn’t blog it. Not your style. Not with this much competition. And I agree, there’s not much to hook you…yet. They’re really slow baking this one. This is a 13 episode season right? I wonder if they have enough episodes to cover the whole game. At this pace, somehow I doubt they could get past introducing the whole cast. Hmm…

2. Anca says:

Ah, it’s such a pity you’re dropping Arashi no Yoru ni; the premise and execution seem incredibly well-done to me and give me Erin vibes, although I haven’t seen the movie. Plus it’s going to have 50 episodes, that HAS to be enough to do something.

On the other hand, I’m really happy we’ll get your opinions on HxH again.

• Anca says:

That said, I just realised you’re dropping several series you rated >70% in potential in the first impressions. Is it exaggerated to call this the best single season ever, counting the series still that carried over?

3. Kim says:

So just a question are you blogging Legend of Korra by any chance? I know it’s not anime but I would have loved to hear your thoughts on it.

4. Rio says:

Will you be looking at Shirokuma Cafe? It feels like not many people are watching it :(

• Kim says:

Oh yeah I love Shirokuma Cafe as well. :)

It might be a difficult series to blog though because it is so reliant on its comedy and what are you going to do tell the jokes in the blog? It doesn’t exactly have a plot beyond that.

5. pata says:

You gotta blog Nazo no Kanojo X! It’s really nostalgic! All that symbolisms in the opening, the dancing, the flirting… It’s like watching a 80-90’s romance anime opening…

I don’t like the direction in Accel World, somehow the director fails to show some drama between the characters. Episode 3 sucked a lot… The scene in the cafe, explaining abour the Accelerated World was very cheap. I know that they’re speaking in their minds but really? You had to make it interesting, show some flahbacks or whatsoever…

• meow says:

Gotta disagree about the simple explanation. Keeps the mystery alive. From what’s she said, she could easily be the villain in this story but we still don’t know enough about the setting. And it seems like a very good one. It seems like a terribly useful feature to give away to people for free but why the weird restrictions? And what might be the hidden costs?

• pata says:

Yeah, they did a good job for making the girl a mystery. Is she a friend or a foe? thing. I was refering to the second part, in the scene where she asks “Why do you hate yourself?”. In the anime, all he said is “Of Course, I hate myself…” THAT’S ALL. While in the LN and the manga, “Hate? Of Course I hate myself! I’m fat and ugly. I sweat all the time and I look like a weakling. I don’t have a single trait to be proud of!”

• meow says:

Can’t comment on the manga but I can identify with this protagonist very well as is. Plus I’m curious how far they’ll take the cyberpunk elements of this story. They could keep it simple with a basic fight-to-the-top premise or it could go metaphysical like Zegapain or Baldr Sky.

• AidanAK47 says:

My issue with the explanation is that it lacked emotion. Kurohime practically admitted that she betrayed the whole of the accelerated world. In the novel it came across as a moment of vulnerability for her. Then when Haru made the RPG analogy it showed that he not only understood her position but actually agreed with it. It made me think “Finally, a protagonist with brains.”

But in the anime it was like
            Kurohime: “Hey I cut off the red kings head and betrayed burst linkers everywhere.”
            Haru: “Oh, really?”
            They need to take a lesson from fate/zero on presenting dialogue.

• meow says:

But in the anime it was like
            Haru: “Oh, really?”

Okay. Didn’t read the novel so I have no idea what analogy you’re talking about but I still buy this scene. Haru does seem to have some brains, and may have a basic grasp of what the Brain Burst ability may be used but I get the impression he doesn’t care about that as much as he cares about having a relationship with Kuroyuki, the girl he’s been admiring from afar for a very long time. Any justification he gives for his position feels like rationalization in an effort to hide his real feelings/motives rather than admit them and risk rejection/ostracization. I don’t know that it’s even occurred to him yet how vital Brain Bursting may be for some people towards their quality of life or that getting to level 10 means having to beat several other level 9s, possibly including Kuroyuki herself. I wonder if it’s occurred to him that Kuroyuki might be raising him up to be “harvested” at Level 9. Heck, maybe it has and he’d volunteer for it willingly. It seems like a good choice considering the potential costs of using this system. This Brain Burst system really reminds me of overclocking a CPU. Great for short term performance but you risk damaging the CPU and it definitely reduces it’s useful life. Nothing has burned up yet because the CPUs are all still brand new and there are limiters in place. And the purpose of the game could be to identify high-spec CPUs. For what purpose?

6. jzar says:

What happened to Ozma?

7. Sam says:

What about Korra and Ginga e Kickoff?

8. citizenofulysses says:

So what does that leave us with for the kaleidoscope? Jormungand, Nazo no Kanojo X, and Medaka Box? Anything else?

9. AidanAK47 says:

The OST of Mysterious girlfriend X is great. It’s strange that such quality can come from a man with a fairly weak resume. Sure he was behind Nana but he also did Dears, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, D.N.Angel…

10. jreding says:

@Kuromajo-san: This is my favourite show this season. But I admit that it’s not quite intellectually challenging and that the whole script may well be shorter than your average post length.

• Cholisose says:

I’m enjoying Kuromajo-san as well. The first ep felt too rushed, but ep 2 and 3 were lots of fun, and really adorable. It has a feel to it that reminds me a bit of Cardcaptor Sakura (albeit watered-down, perhaps).

I also was surprised by how much I liked Acchi Kocchi (at least the first two eps–haven’t gotten to the third yet). Really funny and cute. The characters are a fun, likeable bunch.

• hal says:

I’m also watching Kuromajo. It has Romi Paku, is a show about witches and it’s not as cutey pink as most little girls shows are. Enough to keep me watching. And I like how it’s more of a slice of life than some random world saving. I like those kinds of shows.

on another note: I’m surprised by you covering Korra. Probably to please those people, who are constantly asking about it. However I also do enjoy it somehow, so it’s interesting to see your insight.
        I also like your new Kaleidoscope. I always thought this format would be much better than full fledged reviews of one episode, since there are some series, you just can’t say much about.

• Firechick says:

Yeah. I love Kuromajo-san too. It made me smile. It’s so cute! In a way it reminds me of Ojamajo Doremi (which, Psgels, you seriously NEED to watch!!!).

11. Nayrael says:

psgels said: and this show has this “Saturday Morning Cartoon’-feel to it

Well, it IS a Saturday Morning Cartoon AFIK ^_^;

12. Myna says:

Korra IS a Saturday morning cartoon…

13. Melona says:

…what happened to Sankarea?

It’s been getting a good amount of praise for it’s execution and the fact that DEEN finally decided to put some effort into their art direction. I was really hoping to hear your thoughts on how its progressed, especially after that rather scathing first impression.

14. tk007 says:

Yes. That Waltz soundtrack from Nazo no Kanojo is really the top of the season. I’m found myself looking forward to it every episode : )
    Anyone have the title of that soundtrack?

15. RABUJOI says:

Nazo no(na??) Kanojo X is our favorite series of the Spring so far. It’s clever, earnest, cheeky, and extremely fun to watch.

Sticking with Accel World for now; few anime series have a main character with dwarfism and I for one salute their commitment to diversity. Medaka Box also features a little person in Shiranui, though she’s comic relief.

Gave Shining Hearts a chance, and while we like the fantasy setting, nothing spectacular stood out at us.

• meow says:

About Kanoko X, I’d like it more if there was less…. spit. XD I don’t know why but it just really makes me go ewww.

About Shiranui, I gotta say, while I usually tend to dislike loli characters, I like Bakemonogatari’s Hachikuji’s sharp wit. It’s great to see a similar character here.

About Shining Hearts, ah darn it, should I spoil? People who wash up to this island usually don’t have any memory of their lives before they get here. And usually, ever time someone washes up, it’s during a storm. There is a very special significance to storms in this world. And that girl that just washed up is a key figure to this whole story. Well, I don’t know if I can truly recommend this show. It’s up against really stiff competition. I’m following it because I played Shining Hearts raw and could use some translations to explain some of the finer points to the story.

• kin says:

Since I appreciate superbly executed slice-of-life and comedy in general, this season really does it for me with Kanoko X and Shirokuma Cafe. I do have to agree with the others above commenting that Kanoko X’s OST is quite excellent.

Shining Hearts and Accel World just look strange. Animators need to put thought and execution into their works, not just zany art and surrealist imagery. To each his own, I guess.

16. moochi2000 says:

I actually find kuroku no basuke pretty interesting, maybe it’s because i like to stare at goodlooking guys lol. i’ll probably have to look elsewhere for reviews then =p

• KaZuHiRo says:

Me too. I’m gonna follow Kuroko no Basuke since it’s been a while since I’ve seen an anime about basketball (Basquash! – it was a fun ride). Let’s see what can this accomplish.

17. Da5id says:

“this show has this ‘Saturday Morning Cartoon’-feel to it”

YOU DON’T FUCKING SAY? I thought it had a “Monday Late Afternoon Experimental Film” feel to it.

For god’s sakes, think about how this sounds before you post it.

18. Momo says:

Episode 4 of Omega was definitely much weaker than episode 3; Ryuho isn’t a bad character but he certainly is a relatively boring one.

19. anon says:

As the others said Korra usually airs 11am EST in America on Saturdays, so yeah it is a Saturday morning cartoon. But I don’t think that’s any reason to discredit it. Batman the Animated Series was a Saturday morning cartoon and it’s considered to be a classic animated series for both children and adults. There’s a reason Korra and Avatar the Last Airbender has the large audience it has. It’s a smart show, which is well researched and has a variety of characters you can enjoy.

While the target audience is obviously children because it airs on Nickelodeon, the creators certainly don’t close off the series to an older fanbase and they put a lot of work into making the show stylish and a deviation from the standard “people can control the four elements” type of show.

It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and admittedly the show does operate on some level with the assumption that you also watched it’s predecessor, Avatar the Last Airbender, but I think it works as a stand alone well. Just my two cents.

20. Al Pacino says:

Nothing wrong with Judmun, you are wrong, you never say for Yuno crazy obcesive STRAIGH GIRL who need to die when she was more extremely, you are just be homofobic in one point without you know.

21. ougon says:

Is it just me, or did Jormungand just feature one of the most painfully inept gunfight scenes in modern anime history? Are you telling me that that white haired kid could run straight at a shielded opponent firing a gun from almost point blank range and not get shredded to bits? And what the hell was Koko’s team doing biding their time, waxing philosophical, and not doing anything? How the hell do you dispatch a sniper team with a height advantage with assault rifles? Is this some badly balanced FPS? Why didn’t the idiot assassins just kill Koko instead of taunting her? It was like a litany of the worst tropes of bad combat scenes rolled into one disastrous episode. Dropping this immediately.

• Anca says:

Considering in reality gunshots only have about a 5% chance of killing you, and it’s quite hard to hit anything with one (unlike what Hollywood tells us) it wasn’t THAT bad.

• psgels psgels says:

Well, I think the problem is that afterwards he blows two snipers away with perfect shots and starts bragging about how easy they are to hit. Not very consistent.

• Pax says:

What!?…”in reality gunshots only have about a 5% chance of killing you”, “hard to hit anything with one”…where did you come up with this stats? yeah Hollywood offers us a lot of unrealistic fights and anime does the same, but in reality a special trained human can be quite an efficient killing machine.ofc if you have no training…that’s something else.

• Anca says:

One gunshot wound is unlikely to kill you (na there are people who’ve survived with 100), and if a doctor happens to be there you’ll more than likely survive. Headshots and wounds to the heart have also been survived countless times, and shots anywhere else on the body – well, chances are that they won’t even slow you down with the adrenaline coursing through your veins. So called “fatal shots” leave you around 2 minutes of normal activity, and scoring one of these is a matter of luck.

In other word, guns are pretty crappy weapons. US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan used roughly 250000 bullets per rebel killed, that’s how effective they are. Even swords have a better track record.

• ougon says:

But the white haired kid didn’t even get hit once. You’d have thought if pointy-teeth could dispatch two snipers from a fifty feet he’d be able to pepper a guy running straight at him at near point blank range. It’s just lazy choreography.

22. Green says:

I do not see any obsessive lesbian behavior in Valmet’s action. Is it obsessive to feel happy when you secure a date? Or when you are buying present for someone you love? There are so many inconsistencies in the gunfight to comment on, yet you choose to comment on something irrelevant… again. Weird… Nah, it’s probably me who is weird, I always wonder if we are watching the same thing.

• Sei says:

Well, to each his own, but I feel the lesbian thing of Valmet is a bit gimmick-y. I have read her backstories in the manga, and I think it could do well without that element. The ways she fangirls over Koko during the 3 episodes gets old quickly. That’s being said, maybe we have different standard. The only case when I feel a lesbian character is handled well is Juri in Utena.

23. conyo985 says:

Considering the Legend of Korra is an American cartoon you really have to judge it for what it is. It is hard not to be biased and I do get that but please take it to consideration when you are blogging this cartoon. The series has to be kid friendly in order for the children to be amused but I’ve gotta hand it to the creators of the show even us “adults” are entertained. I have finished the Avatar: The Last Airbender a year ago and for a kids cartoon it has a lot of depth in it. I have full confidence that Legend of Korra will be great.

• Anca says:

That’s like asking to judge shonen series only compared to other shonen series, and ecchi harems only compared to other ecchi harems.

• animedude411 says:

different shows, and kinds of shows are made and styled differently. you kind of have to judge them based on what other similar kinds of shows there are. you would never judge romantic comedy shojou for example, to the fighting animation in a shounen. there verry different styles, and thus have to be assesed differently. so whereas eastern animation is set up a certian way, have there own tropes, and styles of story telling. western animation also have there own styles and tropes. i think what conyo985 is saying, is that you have to view korra (and avatar) as a western animation with there specific tropes and storytelling conventions in mind. they are heavilly inspired by anime, but they are not. they are western animations, specifically for children, and should be assesed and viewed as such. im not saying go easy on them, but veiw them differently

24. meow says:

#10: Sankarea – 04: Very annoying episode with lots of cliches.

So my mind has been reeling by the bombshells dropped in the last two episodes. I’ve been wondering how this story could possibly have a happy ending as well as some foreboding as to whether it might dissolve into something like RE or HSOTD or possibly R&J. What’s going to happen to Rea? What will the Sankas do? How will everyone react to Rea? I’m sorry to say I’m a bit disappointed that Psgels’ most visible reaction to this series is it’s annoying cliches/fanservice. Personally, I think it’s meant as a reassurance to the audience that this story isn’t suddenly switching to the survival horror genre. Personally I’m wondering about how Chihiro will deal with Rea. Seeing him fall for her might be like watching a boy fall in love with a pretty girl dying of cancer.

Actually forgot about it.
I don't know why you don't just read kara no shoujo 2 instead.
And Himawari is actually boring me. It's proving difficult to push myself though just to see where the point that makes it highly regarded comes in.
@Aidan: In the end I was pretty much curious about it.
Yep, that's it. Gonna stop discord displaying what I play from now on. It's weird when people comment on it.
Now my current rankings: 1. Devilman
2.Junji itou
3. sangatsu
4. Cardcaptor sakura
5. Pop team
6. Evergarden.
*Aidan
I'm joking obviously, but I am surprised to see you playing Himawari Aiden.
Oh Aidan you and your lolicon visual novel you =P
@Alonaria: Shin Godzilla had the evolving godzilla thing and that freaky ass final shot too, it also justified itself quite well i think by showing how relevent he is today, given the nuclear thing and that it drew on the Fukushima incident essentially.
@Alonaria: Thats a far better and shorter way of putting it than I.
Alonaria
I wish I'd just waited for the other parts of the Godzilla movie trilogy to be released. As it is, I'm just going to remember it as "that incomplete movie." And the character designs kind of blurred together for me, which was really disorienting.
Oh psgels is back
But I've seen other Godzilla things so I pretty much was supposed to see this anyway.
Or you know you could always take what I said with a pinch of salt, because you know....I don't get on with Urobutcher.
The idea behind it is definately cool and a different spin for the franchise though.
Maybe I was held back a bit by the cgi or the mediorce voice acting.
But I'd need to see its followup before properly assessing it.
Godzilla often makes for silly films, but lke alot of silly older films the silliness and seriousness combine without clashing, this one is too Poe faced .
I saw that Godzilla anime film, I'd describe it as watchable in parts but far too caught up in setup mode and an unlikeable protaganist , it could go somewhere with what it raised at the start but this is an example of a first film in a trilogy that suffers from being unable to currently stand on its own.
I generally feel that Itou's stories have a winning track record but theres exceptions, Uzumaki and Gyo in manga form struggle toward the end and the first episode story the anime chose to adapt is, while fun one of the weaker offerings.
Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"
Like, seriously you could do really interesting story variant on isekai with that if done right. Suddenly becoming characters you have roleplayed would be trippy as hell espicially if one of characters went really into detail with backstory while one of them is just "Bob the fighter, he likes fighting" and has to deal with what happens when you assume life of such a person
But I wouldn't honestly be surprised because of my anger issues related to amount of unimaginative isekai :P Though I guess trpg based one would be more imaginative in comparison
I'd assume not since I assume tabletop rpgs are much more niche than jrpgs in japan
So has anyone yet done isekai where guys getting transferred were playing trpg? :P
quite happy with most recent Attack of Titan manga chapter.
Alright, one more impression post to go before we really get on to new season
@Kaiser: yep, I just fixed it. Thank you
*than just the reviewers names
A slight problem with the coding there in the newest impression, showing code gobbledeegook rather than the reviewers names above their impressions.
@Mario: I'm seeing it on 2nd of February.
@Mario: Late screeners generally leak shortly after the uk release, so maybe early Febbruary it'll be online?
@Kaiser: yep, Phantom Thread. Could be Daniel Day Lewis's final performance. Is it available online already?
@Mario: Did you know that Paul Thomas Anderso8n has a new film coming out? Also I found out there is a Polish semi-knockoff of purple rose of cairo.
Awesome, just got myself an invite to a secret private torrent site =)
@Kaiser When I was in University, I was a waiter at a Korean-owned Japanese Sushi restaurant with a kitchen staff of entirely Mexicans with poor English. The owner, while he provided the rest of his staff with small meals during our lunch or dinner shifts, never game any to the kitchen staff. The guy even ranted to a customer about how "lazy" or "ignorant" they were.
Buses are pretty common in America, even outside the major super-cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago. It's public rail you're thinking of that we don't have much of outside the cities.
I brought up the racisim/aunt story wondering if anyone had any horror stories about where they worked?
@Bokusen: Buses don't seem to be a thing in America, meanwhile over here, despite traffic, public transport is much more of a thing, couldn't imagine not getting a train or bus somewhere.
@Amagi. I must say you changed my positive view of the German education system.
@Amagi: And yet Austria gets the far right party in power and Israel also has a far right apartheid leader.
If any good came from it, her boss got banned from facebook .
Two years ago the alt/new right hold a rally here since they're successful elsewhere with their anti-immigrant/PoC speeches. In the end it was 35 nazis vs 29.000 counter-demonstrators. The joke: when they had to leave with police protection they shouted "We are the people". Yes 35 hated bigots are surely the people, not the 29k. I laughed.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: That aunt story is pretty shit. I am kinda happy about smartphones nowadays, you can often make photos or record speech if you are witnessing something. Also, thank God the racists in my city are very rare since antifa and leftwingers took hold of it decades ago - now 70% of people are immigrants so racists don't even tend to show up anymore.
Nielllo
Great. I don't think most of what I wrote actually appeared in the chat.
Niello
what I'm going to do in the long run.
Niello
While Liberal art colleges are really good for developing writing and reading skills, the truth is in science classes you still don't do much of that. it's also limited by general lack of equipments that you get at bigger Uni. My college don't even have engineering.

After the Rain – 02 [Rain Drops on Green Leaves]

It has been exactly a year since I last blogged you, noitaminA shows, and this time again it’s another romance drama. Unlike Scum’s Wish last year, however, Ameagari has one simple premise, but it executes the idea with such grace. This second episode is even stronger than the first, setting the stepping stone for Tachibana […]

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 02 [Kabukicho Fremantle]

I’m glad that this second episode addresses straight out all my worries from the first episode: the actual implementation to make that trip a reality, because boy, it’s no simple matter. Universe apparently does its research, telling us exactly places they need to go, the initial trip ahead and the amount of money they need […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 33/34 [Where the Sun Shines…Light]

It’s been three weeks since my last 3-gatsu post, a gap owed in part to the break the show took around New Years’. Perhaps it’s because of all that time away from the series, or maybe it’s due to the massive difference between these two episodes, but I had a tough time connecting with the […]

Dies Irae – 10/11[Einherjar/Self-Destruction Factor]

Quite late in covering this one though out of the three shows I covered for the fall season my level of interest in this series has more or less evaporated. Truth be told, while this is a episode review of ten and eleven, i honestly cannot even remember what happened in episode ten. I think […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]