Posted by psgels on 30 April 2012 with categories: Hyouka

My big issue with Kyoani is their lack of ambition. They’ve got some amazing animators in house. The could bring the most amazing stories to life with that. But no, we need the random antics of high school girls! In particular it’s the series Lucky Star, K-On and Nichijou which all failed to capture my interest. worst of all was Lucky Star, which I actually finished in the hopes of finding out why people were so lyrical about it. I didn’t figure it out. And it was a chore. Hyouka features high school students talking to each other a lot, but finally it’s actually going somewhere. The characters aren’t randomly yapping about the same things over and over: there is progression. That’s what caught my interest for this series, and I want to see where it’s going.

Which brings me to another quirk of Kyoani: taking really long to build up and set up everything. This is a double-edged sword: if all of the build-up gets to the point of annoyance, then it will have failed its purpose. The trick with these kinds of series is to still have something redeemable when building up. For example I rate Kobato higher than Mirai Nikki because Kobato’s first half, even though it was random and often cheesy, still was very genuine and had interesting characters. Mirai Nikki meanwhile was a drag because there were too many characters who just weren’t. Kyoani’s series try to tackle this problem with realism: having characters act realistic and down to earth. It worked well with Air and Clannad, but Haruhi and Kanon suffered from characters trying too hard to be moe, leading to me dropping both before eventually giving them a chance to properly sit them out and appreciate what they were building up for.

Hyouka is looking good. The premise of this series hasn’t come up yet (that whole another-like premise of a student dying 30 years ago), and instead it’s keeping itself busy with random trivial mysteries. The way it goes to solve these is actually quite interesting: the train of thoughts of the character sin particular is interesting to watch, even when things are as silly as wondering why five different students would borrow the same book for five consecutive weeks.

The animation of this series is also very fluid and dynamic, but it’s especially the few scenes of symbolism each episode where the artists can really show off to make this a feast for the eyes.
Rating: *+ (Great)

1. TheDoorIntoSummer says:

If Clannad – or any Key VN, for what matters – has characters that act realistic and down to earth in them, then I’m Santa Claus.

2. jzar says:

I do find it interesting so far…..hard to say though if it can hold the long haul. I wonder if this has an manga source or is it original?

3. AidanAK47 says:

“Kyoani’s series try to tackle this problem with realism: having characters act realistic and down to earth. It worked well with Air and Clannad, but Haruhi and Kanon suffered from characters trying too hard to be moe, leading to me dropping both before eventually giving them a chance to properly sit them out and appreciate what they were building up for.”

Psgels…you are doing it again. Remember. An animation studio adapts a work. They don’t write it. They can make changes here and there but any compliments on the story or characters go to the author. Not the animation studio.

And yeah, Air and Clannad having realistic and down to earth characters? Not a chance in hell. As for Haruhi’s characters were more stereotypes than MOE. I believe that was intentional for them to serve as parodies of such overused stereotypes. Still doesn’t change the fact they are stereotypes though…

4. akarimizunashi says:

congratulations! now you can finally have a kyoani series with blatant development, but unfortunately it’s at the expense of the most generically uninspired writing and character interaction.

explain to me again how chitanda isn’t simply pandering to lonely otaku and trying way too hard to be moe? I understand you may not have enjoyed haruhi, but why not be a little less hypocritical.

5. Denizen says:

It does piss me off when KyoAni gets so much praise. It’s animation is fluid, but not nearly as impressive as the stuff showcased in say Birdy Decode or those shows which bust out the sakuga occasionally. That can be excused, but the lack of ambition not so much.

KyoAni gets love, and yet the likes of Brains Base or Bones who have been around for the same amount of time have covered a gigantic amount of genres, settings, demographics and animation styles. These studios have pushed the boat out and made quality work, yet apparently I am meant to be in awe of a studio that produces boring high school girl shows every year without fail, and has a financial interest rather than a desire to make cool show. Munto was great, but it seems not even KyoAni cared for that.

Hyouka I hoped would be a step in the right direction, but it’s honestly just…boring. It’s like they simply took the utter irrelevancy of some of the dialogue and plot of others shows and injected it into a mystery setting. The mysteries so far have been absoutely terrible, there’s simply no reason to care – even in a deliberately mundane setting, you can write much better scenarios than that. The production values are good but they are just wasted.

• Martin says:

As a professional animator i would say Kyoani is a talented animation studio. Their shows dont exactly have the standard flashy action sakuga moments (Nichijou is an exception); their excellence is in their character animation which is something the common viewer takes for granted. Not to mention there’s also the excellent bg art and compositing. Their usual genre of choice is not my cup of tea but I can overlook that and take notice of the talented and cohesive group of animators they have.

I did enjoy both seasons of birdy decode (more season 2 actually) and appreciated the forward thinking animation. I’d recommend Nichijou if you want to see Kyoani having fun with animation (if you can get past the moe of it like I did)

6. LifeCarrier says:

I sadly have to agree with you. I enjoyed Haruhi (more the first season than the second) and this show gave me a haruhish vibe on the first ep which kept me interested.

Chitanda had my moe alarms ringing on the first ep, but I hoped it was only for the show introduction and she’d be developed further than “an eccentric belle” from then onwards. Seems that’s not gonna happen.

I can’t quite point my finger at it, but there´s something I find haruhi characters had that’s been missing in some of Kyoani’s shows like K-on or this one, which made their moe traits less annoying. Sure Mikuru was moe but she seemed to have a personality, and her moe traits seemed to be in line with it. On these other shows it seems to be forcefully inserted and out of character at times, it’s off putting when a character acts so unrealistic to pander lonely otakus as you say.

• LifeCarrier says:

Oops this was meant as a reply to akarimizunashi

• Puran says:

You’re comparing something that had two seasons and a movie, with something that had a whole two episodes to develop the characters…

Two episodes in haruhi we had the episode 0 (the movie) and the introductory episode…

7. LifeCarrier says:

I felt your concern for pacing on this episode psgels.

Aside from the new character introduction we got a whole lot more of the same we got on the first episode, Chitanda is cute and excitable, Houtaro is stand-offish and collected, Satoshi is easy going and takes jabs at houtaro any chance he gets, a trivial mysery gets solved.

Maybe I’ve become too accustomed to 12 episode shows but I felt this episode a little redundant and thus boring, not that much happened that wasn’t already seen or implied on the first one.

I hope it’s not like K-On where the same tropes get repeated each episode supposedly entertaining.

8. Orange says:

Aside from eye-candy, there isn’t much else, is there?

9. hoiut says:

No comments on the ED, psgels, anyone?

Maybe my memory eludes me, but I can’t recall KyoAni making such a… strange, yuri-esque otaku-pandering ED.

And maybe I’m just seeing it ALL WRONG. But seriously, what the heck is with the ED?

• Orange says:

I believe it’s fanservice without fanservice? It’s very strange, but the term ‘otaku-pandering’ seems out of place. Certainly things like this have appeared in other shows and are more ‘intense’. I don’t think it’s breaking any boundaries.

• B. says:

I had a similar feeling.
      It was really out of place. :/

10. wicked says:

Having read the source material, the anime is on somewhat of a chapter per episode by the current pacing, maybe a little quicker. Light novel characterization are essentially like manga characters, having certain aspects pop for instant identification, though the same tropes works in most western television, just different traits are accentuated. However if you’re looking for murder mysteries, this will not end well. As the author and the material they chose to adapt specializes almost exclusively on “Mundane” mysteries, which loses it’s appeal sometimes if the “mundane” portrayed doesn’t resonate with the audiences’ own experiences on some level. I’d defend that it’s not so boring as each chapter presents its own little hint about the central mystery, but in the end, it’s actually not a mystery that audiences might get particularly invested in. Those expecting a high stakes situation for drama is probably not going to get it. Watch as a slice of life piece with mysteries infused is a probably a better mindset than watching it as a mystery piece with slice of life e;ements

• LifeCarrier says:

I’m glad I read your post, seems like I might be dissapointed by the end. What can you tell me about the romance part? Is it an important aspect throughout? Is there drama regarding the relationship that the four of them have?

If it’s just them solving mundane mysteries without much romantic development I don-t think it’s gonna cut it for me.

• wicked says:

It would depend on how they adapt the source material. the volume they chose to adapt did not advance the romance. Hyouka was the first of a series of books featuring the same “scooby gang”, but due to the rather non-mainstream material, there’s unlikely any further adaptation of the series. According to the current pacing they have about a 2-3 episode leeway to add something more, and they have Shoji Gatoh, author of FMP! for series composition.

The drama is not between the main cast at all, though it’s something that Chitanda has an intimate connections to. The main mystery will be revealed in the next episode, and for many people, that’d be the best jumping off point. The book is essentially about Chitanda, though most actions taken by her was she “forcing” Houtarou to solve problems and mysteries.

The light novels are very much categorized as manga, and this work leans toward a shonen manga title(though the main character is the antithesis of a shonen manga lead character), any romantic interest is meant to be subtle so that it doesnt destroy the overall dynamic of the group.

• rubix says:

A show that isn’t overly dramatic, doesn’t have cheesy action scenes, or forced plot gimmicks? But decides to focus on a realistic portrayal of a normal high school life with realistic everyday mysterious that most people could relate to? If this is the direction this show is headed, I don’t think I’d mind. It sounds pretty mellow, something nice to cool your head off with. Undoubtedly, people who want some kind of hook would probably be disappointed, but as a person who’s a bit tired of watching high-intensity shows, this seems like a nice change of pace.

• wicked says:

There is a more central mystery at work that is somewhat dramatic, but it is nothing thrilling, rather it’s somewhat of a bitter truth.

• Andmeuths says:

Episode Three Rule seems to be in effect for Hyouka.

Personally, I enjoy the ambiance in the show. For one, the characters are rather more realistic variants of several common archetypes.

I really cannot grasp the hostility to towards the show, beyond… it’s boring.

11. akarimizunashi says:

I guess my post came off as negativity towards hyouka, but it’s rather a distaste towards people making excuses for present enjoyment.

if you develop some RULE that whatever you label as purposeful ‘moe’ is inherently less-valued and a cheap gimmick, then stick to it. in your praise for one show that you are currently enjoying (possibly in comparison), why disparage other shows that are essentially doing the same thing that you supposedly object to?

there is nothing wrong with personal preferences. if you personally cannot stand female characters that are trying to hard to be moe and accept that notion as your defacto creed in judging anime… then that’s just how you feel. I would never object to someone’s preferences but I’m totally clueless as to how chitanda or any of the characterization in this show should then be exempt from your established negative judgment.

I certainly don’t intend this post to be mean spirited in any way as I always appreciate your dedication to this wonderful blog, but I’m slightly put off by your need to denigrate other works by kyoani in order to justify your affection for this show.

Customize
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373