Posted by psgels on 1 May 2012 with categories: Zetman

I disagree that the faces in Zetman are ugly. In fact, I find them very refreshing, and I love this show for how much emotion it has managed to put into its drawings. What I am hoping for the most right now however, is the kind of animation that we saw in the first episode of this series. It’s clear that it blew a lot of budget on that, but even there you can see that people really spent thought into trying to make the visuals in this series as expressive as possible. Granted though: this was the episode that had that effect the least so far.

One annoyance about this episode was how incredibly clingy Tanaka ended up being. She knew him for like, one day or something? The interplay between her and Jin at least was nice… until the love triangle appeared. Apart from that the girls in this episode were only good for being kidnapped. That’s the problem with keeping Konoha in the dark about everything that’s going on: if you don’t provide her with a good reason, she’s going to try and look for someone she obviously cares about. Just try to tell her the truth and she’s far more likely to at least be on the lookout.

In the meantime, I really liked Kouga and that old guy who started playing that moral dilemma with him, contrasting with his random outburst on what a hero should look like.
Rating: *+ (Great)

1. starry says:

Pretty much agreed with. There’s one or two shots where the faces are kinda QUALITY but they are nicely detailed. Tanaka is annoying though for now.

2. Armpit says:

You really like Kouga? Man i have found a lot of your opinions laughable in the past few months. You like a guy who acts like a 10 year old spouting hero of justice, then proceeds to let 3 innocent people die to go after his sister who wasn’t even in danger? You like a guy who then whines and goes emo half the time?

Your opinions are extremely contradictory lately. You have bashed similar characters to Kouga relentlessly , yet you somehow like Kouga himself.

• Puran says:

Armpit, really… He said “I really liked Kouga and that old guy who started playing that moral dilemma with him”. Meaning he liked the situation and how that played on Kouga’s childish justice. Not necessarily the character himself.

Also, the Kouga/old guy arc is huge in the manga (and awesome btw), I hope they don’t cut too much from it.

3. Armpit says:

I know what he said, but it seems you missed my point, which is that psgels is a hypocrite. Right now there is pretty much no difference between anime Kouga and Shu from GC. Yet he never once posted a postive comment about Shu.

And i’m sorry this arc wasn’t huge in the manga. The entire arc they skipped that involved Kouga was huge in the manga. And this arc is pointless now since Kouga is hated so much by a ton of Zetman fans (read some forums or stream comments) that it would better not to waste time on him anymore when there aren’t many episodes left.

My last paragraph is made under the impression that we won’t see another season and will be getting an anime original ending. If we have a chance at seeing a second season then i don’t have too much of a problem with Kouga and this arc because there will be plenty of time to develop him further.

• Puran says:

Did they skip it? They introduced it now, and I hope they continue it. They are moving stuff around, but obviously they haven’t skipped the whole Kouga/old man arc.

And Kouga’s reaction to the suit is straight from the manga, so I don’t see what the problem is.

• Armpit says:

I think you need to go back and read the manga. They skipped an entire arc devoted to Kouga. Rather i have a feeling you didn’t even read the manga and are just googling for answers

4. psgels psgels says:

I don’t mind being called a hypocrite (hey, I enjoy what I enjoy and I’m not sure why most of the times). But where did Shu from Guilty Crown come from? His character was bland, badly developed and a walking plot device. With Kouga, they’ve been pretty consistent on his fascination with superheroes. Sure, the outburst about capes was a bit over the top, but I found it having charms. I can understand comparing the females in both series since they ar bordering on being useless, but Kouga?

Bear in mind that I haven’t touched the manga. I’m just enjoying the anime for what it is. Also, and this is a question to everyone who is disappointed with the adaptation, but why are you still watching this if you seem to hold such a grudge against the anime? I mean, by now it’s clear that the target audience for this series isn’t the manga audience.

• Armpit says:

Why i am watching it is 1)because im a huge Zetman fan who will end up buying the BD regardless to support a series i love 2) because unlike others who have been vocal about their hate of the character designs, i love the artwork here as it is very original,and the characters aren’t exact copies of others like we mainly see in anime 3) because i don’t hate the tv adaption.I hate Kouga. TMS has actually handled this pretty well with the few episodes they were given overall. My outspoken dislike for certain things isn’t a hatefest on the entire anime. Even with the rushed nature of this adaption they still captured the essence of each character from the manga, with the exception of Kouga. Kouga is someone in the manga who the readers root for alongside Jin. I actually hope Jin beheads him in the next anime episode. That’s how different they are between the 2 adaptions.

And your right Kouga is worse than Shu.

Shu got a power he didn’t deserve , but it wasn’t his fault
      Kouga lied about a heroic deed which ended up getting him a power later on

Shu wanted to be a hero of justice
      Kouga wants to be a hero of justice

Shu was wishy washy
      Kouga is more wishy washy ( letting 3 people die because you think 1 person is in danger). Real nice hero of justice.

• Puran says:

Shu had a TON of airtime and went no-where with it. While we’ve seen little of Kouga.

Also… Possibly this is up for discussion, but up to this point in the manga, Kouga was like this as well. He got some development and became more interesting after the current arc (with the old guy). So I don’t really get where the manga vs anime Kouga is coming from.

5. Armpit says:

So explain to me Puran how they are going to develop Kouga into what he is in the manga now with 7 episodes left? Explain how they have time to do that without completely ignoring Jin and the other side characters who are just as important as Kouga? I’d love to hear this. It would take 4-5 straight episodes of nothing but Kouga for him to plausibly develop into the character he is in the manga now. So they do that and now the main character and most popular character in Jin is ignored.

I’d really love to hear your explanation

• Puran says:

Then explain to me, why did they introduce the old man?

The sole purpose of this character, is to develop Kouga. Skipping him completely would make more sense than just showing the first part of the arc and then not continue it.

What I think is that we are going to get a pretty rushed version of the arc (say 3 episodes) and it won’t be only about Kouga. Assuming they cut most of the X-Rated stuff (which in the manga… is a lot) it’s doable. Now, they might execute it horribly and then I could join the “they ruined Kouga” uhmm *team*. But I don’t see how they ruined him, yet.

6. Armpit says:

I already explained how he is ruined. I don’t think your reading comprehension is up to par my friend. Do you need your teachers in school to explain every single detail to you like you need me to do?

Oh and yea i agree with your second paragraph in a way. They should of just skipped Kouga completely and not added him in the anime if they was how it was going to turn out. There is no time for him to develop now without doing it too quickly, thus making it seem fake, and will hurt the anime in the long run. Or they spend 4 or 5 episodes on developing Kouga, he becomes awesome like in the manga, yet every single other main character suffers. It is a lose lose situation

• Puran says:

Why are you insulting me? I don’t think I was hostile to you at any point. And you didn’t explain why he is ruined, you just stated that he is multiple times and that other people agree with you.

And

“You like a guy who acts like a 10 year old spouting hero of justice, then proceeds to let 3 innocent people die to go after his sister who wasn’t even in danger? You like a guy who then whines and goes emo half the time?”

Doesn’t explain anything. Also that is how Kouga is in the manga as well, at least before the arc that we don’t know if we will see animated or not yet, so I don’t see the problem.

• Armpit says:

You haven’t even read the manga so please stop. You don’t even know about the entire Kouga arc that has already been skipped. And that happened early in the manga. So yea unless you started the manga halfway through you haven’t read it

7. Walaoa says:

I really liked the expression and the faces of the character in this anime. They contain a lot of their own distinctive style and feel compare most of the mainstream anime.

The animator might have changed the scenario from the manga a lot due to the episode constraint but I’m enjoying it so far. I’m interested to see how they will handle all the future episode.

One thing that i agree with most of the manga reader is that the manga is more superior than the anime. But the anime have done quite a decent job so far. I’m just glad that this anime is even animated because that will increase it exposure to public.

8. Stars says:

I’m seeing the situation about saving his sister instead of the three randoms differently.
    Normally in a life or death situation your family would be incomparably more important than a random stranger, unless the stranger was in a huge dilemma infront of you.

In the anime I’m seeing this as the first big decision Kouga has had to make as a hero of justice in the past two years or so, and he’s already felt the pain of knowing he doesn’t have the power to save everyone. I’d imagine that if he had saved the strangers and if his sister had died, he would have turned into some huge angsty “a true hero would have been able to save everyone”.

That was essentially my concern, that the writers would muck up Yuri's decision and create some hole in the story. Though they definitely need to commit to killing him off now.
I had a suspicion it would happen Amagi. I figured it would be a question of Yuri's character which way he went, even if I suspected this would be his choice
@Lenlo & Kaiser: I expected this to happen. I was only unsure because I didn't know how deeply integrated Yuri's gear was. It's the only good way to conclude his character arc and the series as a whole. Kinda hope that all those "die"-death-hints are actually just a metaphor for the death of gears and the commercialised power-augmentation in sports.
@Aidan: yeah and they're overinterpreting stuff. When you really love a series and watch it 10+ times you'll notice things nobody else will ever see and things that are most likely not even there or at least not planned. Then they see a sequel or somethign for the first time and of course they won't see the same 100 hints and deepnesses they believe to see in the original
Alright. Personally, I am pumped for Megalo Box's finale. I am so glad I was right in what Yuri did. It was great at building it up. Heres hoping it doesnt throw it away next week
Like that's what really annoys me about Evangelion fans. The way they talk about the show, they assume that Anno was completely aware of the impact the series would have from the start and planned every intricate detail to perfection regardless of importance. But that's not just untrue by opinion, but is objectively proven untrue.
@Amagi, There are some legitimate complaints like the audio Muxing not being great. But I hear stuff like the original character in the first season being SO much deeper and think "What?". If it's one thing that really annoys me, it's when people start talking about a show like it's a planned masterpiece.
Risky move there by Yuri in megalobox ep12.
Sometimes the voice acting isn't good in both versions, Elfen lied and the original flcl didn't have great voice acting either in English or Japanese.
I got into the habit some years ago of watching most anime with dual audio because I used to do short reviews once upon a time and switching back and forth between subs and dub while marathoning a show gave me best of both and I could talk about both the English and Japanese versions when reviewing.
I usually don't even watch dubs but considering that there is no other option here (yet) I did it and think it's pretty good, especially Haruko.
@Aidan: Was thinking the exact same thing about FLCL. I fail to see how the original is much different than the sequel. For me it's pretty much the same thing - they tried to keep the style but change the frame to avoid copying it 100%. I enjoy the new series and love the characters.
Dubs pretty good. Watched it dubbed myself.
Probably a good thing then that I haven't seen the original in a long time then, which I thought was alright but got better as it went along. How is the dub? Only the dub is out as far as I looked on Nyaatorrents.
Alright, finished the 3 episodes out. I enjoyed it. It was a fun watch. But I gotta say that the reaction online is rather annoying. I see the original series getting placed on a higher and higher pedestal. Part of the reason I may be enjoying this series is because I didn't examine the previous series under a mircoscope and pretty much acknowledge that it was just a animators showcase.
@Aidan: Probably not as GREAT as Onizuka though.
So I started watching the new FLCL and let me say that this new teacher is the greatest teacher I have ever seen.
Don't think it's on Netflix. Though I think that Stardust crusaders is airing dubbed.
Is this series on Netflix? It was always one of the few anime that were very popular in the West while still airing weekly and with subs (and despite the fact that we didn't even have the manga in the West)
Man that's awesome. Also I have to admit that part 6 is probably my favorite so it's great to know that they'll most likely animate everything.
What the hell
JoJo's part 5 anime announced and it's about goddamn time.
Id agree to that. Im mostly interested in where it goes after what looked like a pretty final ending. Im guessing timeskip of some kind, or World Line switch
I didn't think any of the drama in this episode rung false.
Pretty satisfied with steins;gate this week, kept things moving and the stilted style of the show didn't get in as much the way of the setpiece that was in this episode.
I'm quite surprised by how I've gotten over a 100 chapters in and Asirpa hasn't been fanserviced explicitly.
HH Holmes had a death hotel actually.
Actually I think one of the criminals was based on a real person.
The author really likes referencing real people to, Bonnie and Clyde , Ed Gein, some American agriculturist and the inventor of some refile .
Its very true that golden kamuy does get goofier and thats true for the manga also, though theres a prisoner weirder than the one in episode 11 he does advance the plot further. One of the soldiers gets some backstory too. Sometimes the goofiness works but at others doesn't.
I'm watching the new FLCL and planning to review it once it's done. Maybe.
In my quest and love of historical manga I wound up running into this, these guys are translating it over at their site: https://blog.manga.club/blog/mangaclub-blog-vol-10-jose-rizal-serialization/
Not yet, no. Plannin on it this weekend
There are three episodes of the new flcl out. I haven't seen it yet and its been ages since I saw the original, has anyone watched any of the new series?
I can understand that. Anything less than a 3 I often dont finish/deem worthy even being talked about. In anime or movies.
Its too hard to give 1/5s or 2/5s.
Despite my complaints I gave it a 3/5.
....feck sorry about that. I didn't think anyone else on here would have been interested =< Thanks for removing it.
Come on Kaiser, even if I didn't get anything out of it doesn't mean that other people won't. Best not to put a big spoiler on the front page of the site.
Just deleting a spoiler there.
That production company tend to do quite poor trailers that misrepresent their films.
I would probably punch someone for laughing/talking during a horror film though.
Babadook did the grief horror better. Though honestly my favourite horrors this year weren't American ones.
Upgrade might end up being more fun, which is an action horror comedy.
@Aidan: While terribly schmalzy and lacking a proper ending, quiet place had a better idea and atmosphere.
@Aidan: In the end it just felt like comparisons to Rosemary's baby and the Exorcist hurt the film. I just thought it was an awkward mix of commercial and indie horror. Like a lesser version of the conjuring.
@Aidan: I didn't laugh but I also couldn't really feel it/connect with it.
@Aidan: I also disliked how it answered its questions and story rather than leaving stuff unexplained and the actual exposition in the last act was quite awkward.
@Aidan: I saw it on Thursday, it doesn't live up to the witch or even it comes at night. On one hand I appreciate limiting the jumpscares and gore, going more for atmosphere and character drama. Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne kind of hold it together for me. But the two kids, like in most horror films were awful.
Just seen Hereditary. The so called scariest film since The Exorcist.
So scary that people in the cinema were laughing.
I've been playing Hollow Knight on Switch. It's perhaps the longest metroidvania game I've ever played. The game has a nonlinear progression with a lot of optional areas, which add wonder to the somber and mysterious tone of the game.
I also like how much Nagai overstylizes, overdesigns his characters.
Not that its abandoned its comedic elements.
@Sash: The twin tailed girl got impaled and its gone in a somewhat darker direction yes.
Sash
apparently cutie honey is getting devilman vibes.. haven't watched it though so take this with a grain of salt
@Lenlo: Somewhere in my head is an image of Baraka from mortal combat in the same picture as Himiko Toga.
Hero Aca, still my favorite Shounen.
Just got the Re:zero Blu-ray a whole ten days before it's officially released. Gotta be the first to see the dub.
Yeah. Her whole scene was terrible. As much as I loved Maho in a pando costume, it should have stopped there. We didnt need the groping.
FERRIS NYAN-NYAN OmO kill it, kill it with muh-fire, kill it with muh-fire.
Also, Megalobox, hot damn. I love it. I love it all. Mmmm I cant wait.
Partly, yeah. Im mid writeup for it. Suffice to say the fan-service was... alittle awkward to me
Filler episode of Steins; gate this week.
I cant wait to see it, ive heard good things
Damn I love Megalobox so much it's my favorite series this season.
I can't wear a suit to work everyday
*wotaku's
You are now aware that you un-intentionally stealth cosplay as watoki's protagonist each time you go to work.
Pretty sure Psgels is paying to keep the site up but it's not a sum that one would consider significant. Site is dirt cheap.
I've thought about using MPC as an extra player, while mainly using vlc, but vlc can be buggy for me sometimes in that it lags and pixelates the video often , I've used MPC on videos that vlc bugs-out on and they work better.
Out of curiosity, what videoplayer (example media player, realplayer, winamp, vlc, mediaplayer classic)do all of you use for watching anime?
You silly old people
lol how do you think I feel, I've been at this for 20 years =P
All these "confessions" just underline how old we all are; and still keep on that stupid hobby after all those years :))
I first visited the site around 2009, 2010 but was pretty much a lurker until I started writing for the site.
As far as I know, psgels gave the admin privilege for K-Off and Aidan, and it's K-Off who pays for the site now (other admins pls confirm)
Of course I have no idea how much it costs to keep the blog up, he could always end up stopping paying for it if he needed to cut costs.
I'm actually curious in estimating how much longer the blog has left. Obviously psgels must be still paying to keep the site up, but he is, of course only mortal.
The blog began in 2005, but I started reading it in 2009, began posting on the chatbox in 2010.
I wonder which weekly review was the first one I've read on psgels. I remember .hack//roots but not sure if it was the first one. Could very well be the case, though.
Nevermind, despite being an old as shit reader I never actually read the whole text of the about-part.
How old is this blog anyway? I am a regular reader since 2006 or something although it was only recently that I started talking here.
Oh I know all about that Kaiser. It was amazing to read about
Raggers
Wow, this is still going? Good on you guys
*wiki article
@Lenlo: Read the cultural impact of the original ashita no Joe on the youtube article, Japanese actually mass mourned him
Some writers just know how to get an un-explainably effective rhythm going.
I always struggle with commenting/reviewing mood pieces and slice of life mood pieces especially, even when I finish something in the genre sometimes I'll go "I don't understand why this worked so well for me, why wasn't it boring?"
Anonymous2194677
Microsot E3 Press Conference was nuts, they showed too many games.
Hey guys, I made/edited my very first video about a show I greatly love, hope you'll give it a watch too:

Yeah, and an NES prequel to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night launched a couple of weeks ago. And while easier than NES castlevanias it's quite fun. Also very cheap only $10.
Alas, I've not kept up much with the videogame scene in a number of years. I know there's a spiritual successor to castlevania being made though.
Sorry Nightmare Creatures its what it's called.
Actually come to think of it, the 64 games probably had more vampires than the others I played.
Have you played the game that inspired this Castlevania? Deadly Creatures?
Never did get round to playing as Henry though.
I remember the garden stage being especially frustrating as Schneider because of how slow he moved.
Also that game demands you to play on normal or higher to play beyond that nitro stage.
I remember having to finish the game in a day because I was saddled with constantly rubbish memory cards for my N64.
Sorry, I post fast and long so some of what I say probably might get missed/skimmed over.
Actually I did mention it, called it the nitro stage.
Still I think despite the flaws it's has become fun for me because I surprisingly get better each time I play it. and last time I make the game chug because of how fast I was progressing.
Yeah. But I'm surprised you don't mention the worst part. The Nitro and Mandragora level. In which you have to go across several rooms without jumping.
@Anon: I remember the game punishes you for using the item seller guy too much aswell.
I remember the mansion level being creepy back then.
But the werewolf thing was pretty rad.
And then there was that crumbling labyrinth stage. I remember on hard mode you have to fight the chainsaw gardener too.
The art tower stage is also annoying if you run out of day/night cards.
Also it wouldn't let you finish it properly if you took too long.
@Anon: The N64 castlevanias have so many flaws, weird controls , bad camera , the day and night feature is kind of cool but it also puts a timer on things and certain parts become a pain because of it. They had frustrating bits too like the ice castle part with the weird jump sections and the nitro carrying stage.
Lords of Shadow was another IP the developer had to accomodate into a known IP kinda like Star Fox Adventures.
The other Castlevanias I haven't played are Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. LoS was ok but very long. and it's interquel Mirror of Fate put me off playing LoS2.
I haven't played that one. Seems like a mixed bag. Like Zelda 2 or Metroid 2.
I've seen playthroughs of simon's quest, but we all know why thats a notorious mess.
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are also my guilty pleasures. I think if Konami still made Castlevanias it would have tried aping the Souls type of gameplay.
I remember some very very silly voice acting and dialogue in symphony of the night.
I preferred when they were just platform games. Later ones incoperated level up elements if I recall.
After SOTN I think the game coming closer to that greatness is Order of Ecclesia if anything it keeps the difficulty of the classic Castlevanias and puts it in the Metroidvania formula. It has a platforming challenge level that's very satisfying to play.
I've played most of them. Castlevania 3 is a very tough game, but that also makes the journey feel long and rewarding. Rondo of Blood feels like the cornerstone of the series since it's the Castlevania that got most of it's sprite reused in later games.
Reminds me, the game, clocktower is vaguely inspired by an old Italian horror film.
And symphony of the night.
I actually feel I should have played more castlevania back in the day, I've played bloodlines, castlevania 4, Dracula X, legacy of darkness, admittedly the last one isn't a good game and is more of a guilty pleasure.
They could still meet Grant in the Clocktower.
I wonder if the second season will be the journey to the castle like in the game. And the third season is entirely in the castle.
Already a season 3 announced.
Oh god yes. I cant wait
New netflix castlevania episodes out next month.
Was going to mention that. Wish more shows would do o.
Yeah, a lot of plot threads are converging and I like it. My favorite part though was Iglesias and their commitment to non-japanese languages. They were good!
*his bit
@Lenlo: Glad that sachio gets hit bit of backstory and that its well connected to the rest of the overall plot.
Alright Megalo Box was pretty good this week. So much to say
Indeed the Alliance system is atypical of mass democracy. There seem to be no organised parties and lists. Instead administrations seem to be formed on a personalist basis(me and my chums). And the Assembly seems to have very weak powers of oversight. A very flawed institutionally system. But I digress . It is still anime and even from Tanaka I do not expect deep discussion of democratic politics
I mean if two of 9 ministers in an administration resigned in any current representative/competitive election system it would be a big news and embarrassment to the goverment. My guess is that they were blackmailed to stay on, or were too afraid of the war party.
busy weeks (finals and deadlines). Watched the latest LOGH:NT episode. It was ok. A bit dry, but so are many of the episodes of NT or the Original on their own. One think it led me to think is that neither the books , nor the OVA, nor NT explain why Rebelo/Lebello and Huang Rui (the two politicians opposed to the Invasion of the Empire) did not resign in opposition. (Turnhit also opposed but..)
I think its cause of Daru's voice. Hes so overt about it and his voice makes it so clear hes not really being serious about any of that, cause it completely changes when hes talking serious subjects
@Kaiser: Yeah I am watching CCS but funny enough I fell behind too, so it might be someone else you're thinking of
Always felt that Daru strikes a hit when it comes to pervy/otaku characters. Most of them tend to be incredibly annoying.
This episode was nice and chill while still moving stuff forward. I enjoyed it. It does seem like we are hitting the main conflict though, with Amadeus and Maho
@Lenlo: I feel with this episode the plot is really moving along now.
@Kaiser, Thats the question aint it? How to savem both? We know he does, cause of the original, but alot happens along the way. Its a great ride
Bad light novels would make for good fire and burning material =)
@Amagi: I think it was you who was keeping up with the new cardcaptor sakura? or may that was bokusenou? I fell behind in it.
Given Japan is often thought to be a racist society.
I suppose though its saying something though, about them dropping that LN author for racism , its probably, considering its Japan, progressive that they called him out for his racisim.
Angel cop's Japanese version I think had some rant about Judaisim in its last episode too I think.
Honestly I try not to seek out stories about how awful certain creators are if I can.
Viz decided not to run Kenshin's followup/side story manga. But oddly they decided to keep going with toriko even though toriko's author also got in trouble for pedophilic charges.
Looking at that Isekai anime I say we we saved from something truly terrible. Though I find it odd that it was dropped because the author was a racist not because of it well...being goddamn terrible.
@Amagi: I watched a random episode, laughed more than I should have.

Megalo Box – 12 [Leap Over the Edge of Death]

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the hypest episode of the season, as Megalo Box lays everything on the table for next week’s finale. Lets just jump right into it. Megalo Box has a lot going on this week. We saw the return of multiple characters and got updates on their lives. We were shown backstories […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 11 [Pandora of Forgotten Existence -Sealed Reliquary-]

Welcome to Steins;Gate 0, this week with the most “final” middle of a series episode ever. We have drama, we have guns, we even have probable time skips! Lets jump in. This was an overall solid episode. It tried to wrap up, or tie together, a lot of plot threads and resolve character arcs before […]

Golden Kamuy – 11 [Everybody, Get Together! It’s a Murder Hotel!]

Welcome to Bates hotel!! Alright, make no mistake, this is the funniest episode of Golden Kamuy we will ever have. Still dark, have very little to do with the main plot, but it’s spooky fun. Even trashy fun with all the dick jokes. This is Golden Kamuy at its loosest shape. Which is not a […]

Hisone to Masotan – 10 [Melting in Love]

Pretty visual aside, I wonder how much fuel left for this aircraft before it runs out of ideas. HisoMaso has never been a show with detailed world building, or even thick plot to begin with, and as the usual case for me, nothing much happened in this episode. The biggest plot point of this week […]

Hinamatsuri – 11 [A Man Thirsty for Blood, Violence and Money]

The theme of this week is the kind hearts of our cast, and we have 2 parts that take the idea and go into different directions. Remember when I mentioned before how Hinamatsuri would be if Anzu takes Hina’s place? That’s exactly the idea behind the second half. I’m glad that Nitta has some major […]

Darling in the Franxx – 21[For You, My Love]

Huh…wasn’t expecting that to be resolved so quickly. So as predicted Zero Two makes it to Darling and as predicted they power up and drive off the aliens. Also as predicted Zero is is now dead…or dying…or in a coma…or in some state that leaves her dead eyes by episodes end. I admit to be […]

Megalo Box – 11 [A Deadmarch]

Incredible Megalo Box… Simply incredible. This week was perfect in every way but one, and at this point that one is easily overlooked. Let’s skip this preamble and jump right in! Megalo Box had a lot going on this week as we see the culmination of a lot of characters big arcs. Starting off, lets […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 10 [Pandora of Provable Existence -Forbidden Cubicle-]

Welcome one and all to another week of Steins;Gate 0! This week we have fluffy, lovable dates, awkward fan service and terrible revelations. Lets jump in! So overall this week felt mostly like a filler episode. I understand that some of the contents were necessary for relationship building and such. That it was a sort […]

Golden Kamuy – 10 [Fellow Traveler]

New episode, new season, new plan, new scenery and possible new set of enemy too. Considered Golden Kamuy’s track record, I won’t be surprised if the new face Kiroranke, at the risk of Asirpa slaps me on my face for saying so. He’s in the interesting position in all this, both an ex-7th Unit Hokkaido, […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]