Posted by psgels on 5 May 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Natsuiro Kiseki – 05: What a completely adorable episode. The characters just continue to grow here. even though there was no stone today, this was one of the best depictions of a cold in a long while. – **+ (Excellent+)
#2: Shirokuma Cafe: I don’t get it. Some of the jokes in this seris are horribly predictable. This episode again had all kinds of animals suggest bizarre dishes around their favorite food, and Shirokuma’s bad puns. And yet it’s hilarious and so refreshing to watch. The punchline to the parfait fair also was delightful. – ** (Excellent)
#3: The Legend of Korra – 04: Cheesy romance aside, this is the first time I’ve been impressed by this series. The creators used Korra’s brashness in an excellent way here in combinatiton with the politics. – ** (Excellent)
#4: Kimi to Boku – 17: This episode played up Chizuru’s annoyance to the max again, but I’m not bothered by that as much as I used to. Again this episode was really charming and simple. – ** (Excellent)
#5: Sankarea – 05: Very torn on this episode. It would have been #1 if it wasn’t for that annoying cousin. Excellent build-up and pay-off, although I do wonder whether turning zombies in assaulters was the right decision. – ** (Excellent)
#6: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 17: I’m still amazed at how short this series is: not including the OP and ending screen, its episodes are only two minutes and ten seconds long. This episode had 6 different sketches in just that time-frame. All of them were fun. – ** (Excellent)
#7: Jormungand – 04: Good episode for Koko as finally her character was a bit more rounded. Also, “I am an American! I have blond hair, I work for the CIA and I am an asshole!” – *+ (Great)
#8: Nazo no Kanojo X – 04: A bit of a step down compared to last weeks, mostly because the saliva is starting to lose its gimmick, but nevertheless that girl whose name I’ve forgotten had some nice moments together with Urabe. – *+ (Great)
#9: Medaka Box – 05: I noticed that Medaka is often able to hold the higher moral ground, solely because she’s so ungodly good at everything. Will this get used later? Also Gainax, there are times where a slideshow is good, but there are also times where a slide-show is just lazy. For a Gainax series I am surprised how actually mediocre the action in this series is. – * (Good)
#10: Hunter X Hunter – 29: Uh, Hunter X Hunter… are you serious in this? Do you really intend to have people call out the names of their attacks, accompanied by huge letters? Is that your idea of how to best represent Nen? – * (Good)
#11: Saint Seiya Omega – 05: Is the entire series going to be about training and people being hot blooded? – (Enjoyable)

1. Roninski says:

So glad you’re doing Korra in the Kaleidoscope =D Glad you’re enjoying it.

2. Kiseki says:

Most people have been making a bigger deal out of Asami than the main point in the episode. I…almost teared up at the end of the episode. ;~;

3. Tanz says:

The romance wasn’t really cheesy. It’s a good thing they actually skipped most of the parts about it. Was pleasantly surprised that even Mr. Jerk can fall in love actually.

I /cried/ at the end of the episode >>

4. Mr. Mestopheles says:

Can’t help but suspect that they might be setting up our young romantic interest for some bending loss later on…

5. Kim says:

Yeah the romances in Korra are cheesy (and they were cheesy in Avatar as well) but the writers are clearly aware of this fact. They are cheesy in a charming way, because let’s face it young love is often a bit cheesy and nothing wrong with that.

6. Martin says:

It’s cheesy because it’s a nickelodeon show.

7. cru says:

I hope Korra makes you more curious in the previous series :D The Last Airbender was truly great, and more adventure-esque and really picks up in its second season with some brilliant writing.

But the up in production levels for Korra makes it just a feast for the eyes, and I’m loving how they’re exploring an avatar with a much less spiritual side.

Also, Tenzin is great. Definitely my favorite character. I’m excited to see Zuko though.

8. Scorcher says:

Yes, the creators said before the show aired that there was going to be some cheesy teen romance or something like that…
    But the Avatar franchise is all about awesome battles, good characters and cheesy romance, and they are doing a great job in all 3…

• bobzilla21 says:

I dunno, the characters and battles are definitely strengths in both Avatar series(so far at least), but the original series’ cheesy romance worked because of the lack of drama involved. I don’t think it’ll be the same for Korra, since it seems to be a much larger focus this time, and it might be a cause for concern.

9. Stars says:

Oddly Jormungand episodes never feel like they go for 20 mins, but always feel like not much happens.

10. mamori says:

Just wanted to say how much I agree with this. *u* I honestly hate the drama because it’s been done and it’s always the same, bad outcome. I loved the first season better because it was refreshing to watch a story that was fun, quirky, and had a good plot. The selling point in my opinion was the lack of drama because honestly, I don’t need to see another series about American teenage drama.

Just to back my wording there: I know the story is set in the Asian countries. However, the audience is towards Americans so obviously, they’d write to cater towards what Americans would be able to relate to.

• mamori says:

Er, thought it would link under but wanted to say I agree with bobzilla21’s post, not psgel’s post (the characters have been getting more and more annoying and I don’t see anything interesting with the plot; in fact, I predicted exactly how the story would go because it’s so obvious and Korra is really easy to read).

11. kevin says:

They call out the name of their attacks because that is what they do in the manga… It is also something that was frequently used in Yu Yu Hakusho back in the day. I do not understand your gripe with this or how it misrepresents Nen in anyway.

• Hi says:

The gripe is that psgels doesn’t like it, kevin–that’s why the comment was framed with rhetorical questions. The entry is only intended to be a small window into psgels’ impression of the show–nothing too much more than that, we have to accept–and the most prevailing sentiment psgels actually felt for the episode was disillusionment with how attack names are presented. The remark about “huge letters” implies that he thinks the method is invasive–and that’s a fair enough point, all told. There’s no reason to concur with the idea that his comments are becoming embarrassing just because he doesn’t like something, is there? Especially not when the episode actually got a good rating overall–the experience was just, for psgels, hampered by the presentation of attack names.

• Machi says:

I find this move to be a bit uneven for the animators side IMO since this was really something best left with the manga, only other shows that tend to do this are really kiddie shows afraid that the audience might not follow. Which again I find weird given that they do have a focus on action and doing the whole redundancy of literally spelling it out in front of the screen baffling since it does detract from action – you want less reading and more movement.

This sorta thing may work on the manga, which actually try to add effects to the way they spell out words as it is incorporated into the art style. But not with an animation but again I find this baffling on the side of the animators since they had avoided such in the past.

• kevin says:

It was literally 1 second of a 22 episode episode. This is griping for the sake of griping. If you do not like it that’s fine but to say that it misrepresents Nen in anyway is utterly ridiculous. The name appearing on the screen is a stylistic choice that harkens back the old school vibe of classic shonen series such as Yu Yu Hakusho or Saint Seiya. Some of you seem to forget that Hunter x Hunter is a shonen series not a seinen. Another ridiculous statement I hear often is that this series is too shonen, well what do you expect when adapting a shonen manga? *Facepalm*

• kevin says:

Not only that but the attack name calling is actually integral to the plot as Gon later on bases his own attacks around this very concept. You don’t have to like it but it is a necessary inclusion.

• Machi says:

I never had problems with the calling out I just said if you read closely is that it was redundant to actually literally spell it out. That the effect clearly is different when animated from the manga – which frankly I find odd because the animators had sense to avoid it earlier. In any case its not a MAJOR flaw or anything its just an oddity that you can’t help but notice.

• Toto y Moi says:

@Machi

The problem is that in the future, characters no longer call out their attack names. Gido is one of the few in the entire series that does so. After the Heavens Arena arc, the names of characters’ Nen abilities are placed within fuzzy thought bubbles instead of speech bubbles.

Although to some, it may seem distracting to have the full ability name placed on the screen. But Togashi’s done an interesting thing with Nen abilities; he’s tied them entirely to a character’s psyche. A character’s personality is revealed through the type of ability they create. As such, the names of the abilities are often sort of complex: he gives them a spoken-word pronunciation and a written one that greatly differs. I always appreciated this when reading the manga, so I’m glad that it makes an appearance here.

• Machi says:

I’m aware of the naming sense actually reflecting their character. However, looking at our outlooks its clear that this thing is rather superficial or just plain a matter of taste. Which brings back the point I don’t see this comment as being one necessarily of quality as some have extrapolated.

• SirDerpalot says:

@machi “that might not keep up”

Please, tell me all about how characters stopping mid-fight, chit-chatting and saying the name of every move in every episode everytime is for adults with great attention spans.

• darkerthanblackswordsman says:

“[…] because that is what they do in the manga”

How is that an excuse? (i) The manga is not perfect, no need to replicate things that don’t work. (ii) Manga is not anime – things that work in one might not work in the other.

• komporrhmwn says:

It didn’t work for psgels (that one caught me off guard!), so it doesn’t work, period? It’s a stylistic choice that may well turn some people off but there’s nothing *wrong* with it. It’s minor, anyway. Good job ignoring the 22 minutes full of wonderful characterization and animation and focusing on one second. This is straw grasping at its most awkward.
        Also, Nen does not stop at yelling attacks at each other. They did fine with the colors, didn’t they?

Your “The manga is not perfect, no need to replicate things that don’t work” line of thinking, while true and applicable in many cases, could potentially create huge continuity problems with Hunter x Hunter. I guess you’re not familiar with the manga? (…Are you even familiar with the anime?)

The new anime has actually strayed from the manga a few times, but in a way that doesn’t mess up the continuity. Togashi himself is involved with it, so it figures.

• Machi says:

I don’t see how this is straw grasping when we have literally only a blurb for his impressions of the episode. It hardly gives us an idea aside from the rating what he really thought of the episode. It seems to me more grasping at straws if you can extrapolate that much from his one liner.

So we talk about the effect that’s a topic in itself. But talking about quality of episode in addition to continuity are while related far reaching and stuffing words in his mouth. Why? Because you’re merely assuming that is what the blurb is talking about yet you don’t have that basis since clearly we’re not mind readers – and we’re certainly not going to be able to read a mind with that one-liner.

• komporrhmwn says:

The straw grasping has nothing to do with the length of a comment, though. Shouldn’t he be as relevant and precise as he can, exactly because his writing space is limited? What about Gon’s clearly illogical choice to fight? What about Killua’s “quick and dirty is always better”? What about the shockingly good battle animation? What about a hundred other, more relevant things?

Look at the other mini-reviews at this entry: except for Saint Seiya (which he kind of hated), when commenting on other episodes he’s listing any flaws while acknowleding the qualities. You can get a pretty good idea of what he liked and disliked about them.

A “Good episode, but…” would suffice… If he would also not squabble over calling out the names of the attacks, as it is completely integral to the story and not just for show.

I guess the better way to represent Nen (and to do anything, really) would be to do it exactly like the old series did? It would be funny if it was more or less the same then, but I don’t even remember and neither does psgels (he has said so himself), although that doesn’t seem to affect his loyalty.

I can extrapolate that much from a one liner, plus past reviews and comments.

I don’t really get what you’re trying to say in your second paragraph, but I was replying to darkerthanblack and I have no recollection of stuffing words in mouths.

• psgels psgels says:

komporrhmwn: the reason why I treat Hunter X Hunter differently is because I’ve pretty much been witting through a recap for more than half a year now, with still no end in sight, even though I very rarely rewatch things. The fact that I’m still with this series at this point is a testament to how good Hunter X Hunter is, but I’m not going to try and give a fair review to something that’s already been done before. The comments I give each episodes instead are the things that stuck in my mind the most after each episode, nothing more. I’ve just gotten tired at trying to be nice at this series.

• Toto y Moi says:

@psgels

I think that the issue lies in your reluctance (and apparent dislike) to rewatch things that you’ve seen before. Especially since Hunter x Hunter is a series that, unless you really pay attention to every scene in every episode, a viewer will often miss the mark of what’s actually going on.

The 1999 animated series is a testament to this: they got the character development of the series’ protagonist entirely incorrect. And in fact, many of the readers of the manga did as well. Madhouse’s subtlety is being lost on you because you’re treating this series as a re-run instead of something new.

Case in point: Nen is treated very differently in this version as opposed to the 1999 series. In the 1999 series, Nen is treated as a superpower instead of a menacing technique with severe consequences (which both the manga and Madhouse portray). Even characters who are supposed to be “good guys” like Wing are seemingly using a power that seems to be dark in nature. But you haven’t gone so far as to even mention that change. Other bloggers, even ones watching for the first time, seem to be picking up on these.

Unless you watch this series with a new mindset, I don’t think you’ll enjoy it. You’re predisposed not to. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but your opinion comes across as uninformed due to your often baseless annoyance with the show’s extremely minor details.

You didn’t even pause to consider the reasons as to why this episode contained less material than the version in the 1999 series (episode 38)–a full chapter’s worth of material. Next episode will only cover another two chapters; Madhouse is spending two full episodes adapting chapters that were covered in 1.5 episodes in the older version. Madhouse’s version is often praised for its pace. So why is this episode shorter than in the old series?

Give it a thought.

• Hi says:

• Machi says:

Given the way he actually writes blurbs from the Kaleidoscope I’d say its far more spontaneous than anything – hence I don’t see his conciseness as being one straight to the point as much as whatever stuck last in his mind (and clearly the flashing text as Kevin already pointed out earlier literally was at the last portion).

Thus, I see this really as grasping at straws because I’ve never been of the impression that these were supposed to be concise informative lines but spontaneous impressions. I mean just look at the other comments and previous ones he’s written like Jormungand you think that’s a precise enough line to give me a good enough window to figuring out his view? Its easy to say nice character development but on what grounds etc but clearly I’m not going to get any answer to that. Then we simply look at the next sentence which is a quick spontaneous thought on stereotypes. Hence, I see this as just stuffing words down because these are spontaneous off the fly thoughts – nothing I would take seriously.

• Toto y Moi says:

@Hi

“Be very, very careful with this Toto: while your reading of the manga is convincing, it is ultimately an interpretation that is nowhere set in stone. You can say readers and the 1999 series got the reading of characters incorrect, but that is an extrapolation of your own based on evidence: Togashi has not confirmed or made particularly clear that veracity of your own reading of the manga. Pointing to other bloggers might help your case, but I’ve seen you air your opinion across a solid array of outlets: you may have contributed to this enlightened outlook yourself.”

Actually, there is proof… The 1999 series was building to an entirely different conclusion. Episodes 61 and 62 of the 1999 series were originally storyboarded to have an anime-only ending that eventually was changed due to Togashi’s dislike of it. Do you remember the “Eye for an Eye, Nen for Nen” motif (also one of Killua’s catchphrases in the 1999 series) that pops up (often) throughout the filler moments of Nippon Animation’s version? That’s probably the most major theme present within the work that isn’t from the original manga. In Furuhashi’s intended climax, Kurapika and Chrollo would have killed each other in a final battle. Kurapika would have died in Leorio’s arms. Gon would have re-encountered Ging with Kite. If you dig, you can find some scans of those storyboards online. Moreover, you can actually find remnants of Furuhashi’s foreshadowing of Kurapika’s death in some filler moments in the 1999 series–like in episode 45 especially. There are also herrings that imply Kurapika’s revenge isn’t a product of his own desire, but rather indoctrination forced upon him in childhood.

And as far as my thoughts being “interpretations,” keep watching. Most of my posts convey knowledge common to fans of the manga overseas; rarely do I mention anything that hasn’t already been fully explained.

“I wish not to offend, but we have had such a paltry look at Nen in this new series that to say it’s been treated more like a menacing power is a very myopic statement. The 1999 series–however much one might berate it for its direction–can still be interpreted as communicating the malignancy of Nen.”
          How was my statement at all myopic? I’d like an explanation for this, since I’m certainly confused as to what you mean. Pay attention to the ways in which Nen is introduced. Instead of a skill that explains paranormal activity and the reasons as to why people excel in their respective fields, Wing introduces Nen as a superpower that should be used by the forces of good. The added dialogue is very moralistic and positive. Contrast this to Wing’s disposition in the manga/2011 series–it’s very different in tone.

“Lastly–and I’m really peeved with this–you do not by any account or any measure have any right to prescribe how somebody should watch a show. Calling psgels peeves to be baseless is utterly absurd: even if Madhouse is laying the groundwork for future events, it’s blatantly obvious that if some of us can complain about it in the here and now, then Madhouse–and Togashi–have done something that isn’t universally palatable. Your analyses are lovely–they really are–but please: your thoughts are interpretations. They are not set in stone: don’t treat them as such and use them to engineer a comment that psgels is going about his business with the wrong outlook.”
          This is a matter of paying attention to the details. Psgels watches a lot of anime every week, so I understand that it’s hard to pay close attention to something he feels that he’s seen before. But in all honesty, there have been several instances in this blog that indicate that he hadn’t paid attention to details or differing major ideas despite attempting to compare the two versions in just about every post. The show is at a disadvantage because of this. And does anyone really want to read a summary nitpicking some of the smallest details in a 22-minute long episode? His summary for this kaleidoscope focused on two moments that, when combined, lasted for less than ten seconds of the entire episode. And it’s entirely pejorative. But then he gives the episode a “* Good” rating? The rationale makes little sense to me.

• Anca says:

Oh, what you write makes a lot of sense. I remember thinking that Kurapika would die during the old series.

I didn’t like the way Nen was introduced the first way – I remember thinking ‘oh yay, here’s the obligatory generic power. Why did they have to add it now, they did fine for so many episodes without it.’ But this time its introduction was foreshadowed at pretty heavily (imho), and its introduction was quick and not treated as something too special (at least compared to the 1999 version).

My opinions are an odd case though, because I haven’t read the manga myself and liked the old series, but still think this one is better.

• psgels psgels says:

Toto: you have interesting theories. But to be completely honest, I am getting tired of one thing here: the way you keep telling me how I should enjoy my series, and how you keep telling me how to blog thi sereis.

The thing is that I never claimed to be complete in these reviews. The thing you mentioned above how this episode was longer than usual: I actually did notice that a bit, but I just wrote it off as a random pacing issue (why wouldn’t I?) I just don’t have the energy to keep actively looking for new thigns in a recap after half a year of nearly the same content. Especially with such a focal and forceful fanbase.

• Toto y Moi says:

And Hi, I speak my opinion with utmost sincerity and respect for your own views as well.

• Toto y Moi says:

@psgels

You’re right. My apologies. I’ll stop trying to tell you how to blog the show. It largely came from a place of disappointment in what I read. I’m a longtime fan of your blog, and appreciate the work that you do.

• kevin says:

The entire point of this adaptation was to adapt the source material in a more accurate manner and when compared to the 99 series it has done just that. It’s conveyed the tone set in the manga as well as having a soul of it’s own. Is it different to the manga? Yes, in some minor ways. But it does ultimately do what it set out to do which is do the original source material justice.

The 99 series was a bomb in Japan for a number of reasons, the most often stated was it’s inability to accurately adapt a manga that people loved so very much.

Now it’s not always necessary to follow a manga to the tee, a good example of the is Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon), but in a case like Hunter x Hunter, which has more than 300 chapters to work off of, it is necessary so that plot holes and continuity errors are not created. This series is ultimately a love letter to Togashi’s manga, it is clear that the people working on it have a great appreciation for Togashi’s work and as such they are implementing little details here and there that would come up later on or that only true fans would pick up on.

Something you may find interesting to know is that the characters calling out their attack names is in fact an important part of the story. Gon later on bases his own attacks around that very concept. So yes it is a necessary 1 second and no it does not at all misrepresent Nen (what a ridiculous statement by psgels).

• Hi says:

I need to clarify that the 99 series was not a bomb in Japan: a bomb of a series couldn’t spawn three subsequent OVAs, not least two of which had some pretty high production values channelled into them. That is misinformation. Looking at the BD and DVD sales for this series indicates that there’s some difficulty in shifting copies for the 2011 adaptation, but I’m not going to deem it a bomb in terms of TV rankings.

BUT, I do understand where you’re coming from as regards adaptation of the manga material. I understand that it may be felt necessary to adapt the manga as close as possible so that any stylistic choices on the part of the author–immediately visible or otherwise–are not ignored. I do understand that–and I think your point should be heard. But please consider that there are alternative arguments that are every bit as valuable–and valid–as that opinion.

Whether attack names are thrown up on screen in other shows of this kind or the manga is no reason for psgels not to comment on it negatively. Look, we all say things that come off the tops of our heads when we see something: good and negative. That’s what psgels has done. He pointed to the integrity of the rest of the episode when he gave it a good rating: we can’t be blind to that. But something annoyed him–and when you get something that feels unpalatable against a background of what is good, you’ll notice the bad–because it sticks out and can hamper your experience, no matter how short. That’s almost inevitable–and on something so personal and informal as a blog, it’s a poor show to knock an opinion that was never intended to be holistic.

As you say yourself, it isn’t always necessary to follow the manga to a tee–and I think Machi and darkerthanblack hit the nail on the head: Togashi was writing a manga for the manga form–and he’s very good at it. He knows the manga form inside out, and he tailors it for his own purposes: characters come out of their panels, transitions work in consideration of page numbers, he ends on cliffhangers to keep viewers coming back for the next week, etc–but these things won’t necessarily work for television. He wasn’t writing for television. Attack names coming up on screen is more jarring in the moving form of television, it can be said–and that’s true enough. I feel that way.

I also want to put forward an opinion of my own here: there’s nothing wrong with calling this series a love letter to Togashi, but this new series doesn’t marry up with my opinion of the manga. I think the overacting and bombastic soundtrack undermine the intelligence and subtlety of the manga–and that’s a valid opinion for one who knew nothing of the 99 series till recently, having read the manga from 2006. We all interpret the manga in very different ways, and it’s not up to anyone else to dismiss our own readings of it. You say this new series conveys the tone of the manga, but that’s your opinion based on your own feeling of what the manga represents–and I concur with some of them. But I don’t get the same sense of dissonance between Togashi’s oscillations between realistic and cartoon styles in this new show: I think it opts for consistency by focussing on the younger side. I don’t get the same earthy feeling to Togashi’s artwork in this new show–typified by his backgrounds and grubby artwork in the early volumes. As I said before, I don’t feel the same sense of maturity that I get from the manga in the acting, which is skewed younger in this new show–and I don’t think the music, with its electric guitars and such, really feels the essence of a manga that does so much in the way of implication. I reckon there are too many broad strokes to the soundtrack which can undermine Togashi’s portent and nuance. This is all subjective–and you’re very entitled and not at all wrong to feel differently–but the 99 series doesn’t factor into any of these opinions. I read the manga five-odd times before I even caught a glimpse of the original series when Viz released it. Attack names on screen is a perfectly fair criticism in this case, and even if you watched the old anime only, we don’t deny that calling out attack names is a part of the show: we don’t mind that. We just don’t appreciate the huge, bulking letters coming up on screen because if might feel a bit juvenile. HUNTER may be a shonen–but if I’m going by my own reading of the manga, it’s not an altogether typical one. Some can argue otherwise, but I genuinely don’t believe HUNTER is intended to play the shonen card straight. And a big chunk of its readership feels the same way–just as another chunk feels the same way you do. None are wrong.

• komporrhmwn says:

I don’t know the specifics of the ’99 bombing or not, but the animation of the Greed Island OVAs bordered on atrocious.

I’m not going to comment about the psgels stuff, since I already have, except for this: he thinks almost everything that isn’t a complete pile of garbage is “good”, so that’s saying nothing.

You’re absolutely right about Hunter x Hunter not being a typical shounen, I don’t think anyone who has read the manga views it as such.

But here’s the thing: it starts as one, doesn’t it? There *are* hints (some more obvious than others) about the dark nature of the characters and the show, but they slowly build up until they explode during the Chimera Ant arc. Togashi time and time again plays with our expectations of the characters and the story.
            Until now, I think the new anime has done a terrific job of hiding the real nature of the show, just like the manga did early on. The real test for me is the Yorknew arc. That’s when we’ll know for sure what this adaptation is out to do.

I’m optimistic.

• Hi says:

Sorry I can’t respond to you directly, komporrhmwn (page length issues?) but I think Greed Island looks fairly spiffing for its first eight episodes–comprising the first OVA–save for one mishap with gargantuan eyes. Though as I alluded to in my post, that third OVA–which we must never speak of–was handled in a slapdash sort of way, I’d say.

As for the rating system, “good” is still “good”. It’s not merely “enjoyable” and it doesn’t have a minus rating. From what I’ve seen, psgels makes a good effort to keep his ratings fair. He knows his system; I say we detach our own perspective on it, for it represents his way of wanting to best indicate his feelings.

Now, I do think that HUNTER starts off with the hallmarks of a shonen–and I’m with you on the inexorable movement towards the explosion later–but I don’t feel, so far, that this series illustrates that movement quite so proficiently. I feel that Togashi lays the foundations for that in ways that this series doesn’t capitalise on. Yorknew’s the test, as you say, but what I’ve seen so far doesn’t lead me to believe that Koshina has quite the confidence to illustrate that transition as cleverly as I would hope. Just my opinion, though–and I’m still watching, of course! We’re in for the long haul: I just wish my feelings for this series–and the manga, and the 1999 series–weren’t so bruised by the mood of negativity that’s been conjured up.

• SirDerpalot says:

Just because it was in the manga, doesn’t mean you have to NOT do it. And just because you change something from the manga, doesn’t mean it’s some awesome artistic idea.

If you read the manga, no one calls out the name of his abilities anymore, except for few, who “think” if it and others who say it to confuse the enemy of what’s coming next (Rock, Paper, Scissors?). As in bubble thoughts. Calling names like Kamehemeha and Rasengan is pretty cliche and annoying. A name written in letters is pretty cool, they did something similar with Uvogin in the original anime.

12. James says:

Wow this blog is getting worse by the day.

REALLY? You set yourself tp watch saint seya and want that on the 5th chapter people are fighting like they are pros?

13. Juno says:

Forget what others say. Your blog is never right on the mark for me, but it’s always been a great guide to help me pick up things that might interest me, and to think about things that I might not have thought about in a lot of the anime I watched. I thank you graciously for it all. Keep up the good work!

On that note, I seem to have an attraction toward pretty generic hero series lately. I wonder why that is.. I’m always looking forward to singing Saint Seiya Omega’s theme song, like I did when I watched the original anime way back when… well, I’m not that old. Just old enough to have found both the anime and manga and liked it all. But the “hero” business really intrigues me as a person.

• Anca says:

I haven’t seen the original Saint Seiya, just The Lost Canvas (which was one of the best things I’ve watched in recent years), and Omega’s OP is still stuck in my head. It’s just that good.

• Juno says:

I feel really bad about this, but… even though I saw (nearly) every episode of the original series, I never watched even a single movie, nor did I catch Lost Canvas or the more recent Hades arc OVA’s. I’m definitely missing out on a lot, but I don’t know where to find them, and it’s been a while since I’ve seen the series, so I don’t know where to recap myself. ):
        But again, I have never been into the whole “hero” thing until recently, so I’m kinda interested in re-watching the older series completely…

• Anca says:

The Lost Canvas is on Bakabt, if that helps.

It takes place in a distant past and doesn’t really reference the first series as far as I could tell. A couple of things weren’t explained, but I didn’t notice until Omega pointed them out. What I mean to say is you don’t need to know anything about the original series to watch it – it sort of like what Fate/Zero is to Stay Night.

14. komporrhmwn says:

Haha, these HxH comments are getting really embarassing.

15. wicked says:

Training and people being hot blooded is the saint seiya way,it wouldnt be Saint Seiya other wise. It’d be like Dragonball without people talking most of the episodes while trowing energy balls at each other, would not be Dragonball(it’d be a better anime, but not Dragonball).

To be fair, though not really mentioned yet, a good amount of Koko’s team are Americans as well, and none of them are blonde or loud mouth assholes.

16. Jack says:

@wicked “training” and “hotblooded people” were never the defining characteristics of Saint Seiya – in fact, there was VERY little training because, unlike most shonen manga, SS never had a training arc. The Bronze Saints got stronger through their fights with stronger opponents, not by training. And the only main character that was “hot-blooded” was Seiya himself.

The reason Omega sucks is because, so far, they’ve failed to reproduce the “gravitas” of the original… The original cast had to go through many sacrifices and hardships to get ANYWHERE. Need to repair your and your friend’s Cloth? Then hand over tree litres of your own blood. Fighthing the Saint with the medusa shield? Then you had better cut your own eyes out, because closing them is not enough. Each victory was won only after the characters had withstood more punishment than humanly possible.

The new series just feels like a completely generic shonen.

• wicked says:

I spoke without watching the omega series, so I may have misspoke. Original saints never “trained” on screen, as they do “level up” in battles that matter, though many battles serves instructional purposes it’s somewhat different from an actual training arc in what you see in Shonen. To me Saint Seiya was always about hotblooded young man fighting, all the main bronze are hot blooded characters at their core, burning with passion in battle, despite their different personalities.

• Carbine Gammaximon says:

Wow. now that’s something I’ll choose over generic anytime. See what I’ve been missing!

17. Andmeuths says:

I’m quite surprised that Medaka Box manages to stay on your Kalaeidoscope List, to be honest, given how hostile much of the Blogosphere seems to be to the show (beyond those that the read the manga).

Still, it might be best to regard the first half of the Cour as a mix of character establishment and Filler, especially in light of later content.

However, the horrifyingly poor action sequences bodes ill for the more substantial stuff later on- unless Gainax is deliberately saving it’s budget for the end of the Cour.

As for Natsuro Kiseki, I dare say it’s among one of the best Slice of Life/Friendship Series I’ve seen in quite awhile. Of course, it can’t be compared to Apollion, but it’s one tier down in my opinion.

18. Meow says:

Why do you compare hxh to the older series as if it were the source material? If youre not enjoying it for that then Drop it :/

@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.
Seems that it will be at its worst in the west, that said I'm living in Dublin in the east so I'll probably get away with a power cut for a while. Thankfully I'm not back in work until Thursday and I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.
Also Careful Kaiser, I hear we got a hurricane heading our way tomorrow.
@Kaiser, Can't say I do. I got into anime around the time it was getting put on the internet. And I only started buying anime when I got a job. Now I got a whole bookcase of Blu-rays.
@Aidan: Remember back in the 90s when we didn't have all region dvd players and everything got released on region 1?
@Kaiser, I checked though. Seems the screenings are strictly US for Heavens Feel. Sort of like how Grand Order isn't released for Europe either. Also took goddamn ages to get the Blu-Rays of UBW too. Aniplex just seems to hate us for some reason.
Dublin city university has/had an anime club.
These are all one time only things though.
@Aidan: Eh....on rare occasions the Eye cinema in Galway and the Lighthouse in Dublin do screenings . Eiretakon has re-formed as J-con in Dublin and they do screenings.
Playing Muv Luv Alternative and I just made it pass a certain infamous scene. Honestly...I thought seeing as I knew it was coming that it wouldn't hit that hard. But even after all these years...it still gives me chills.
@Amagi, Could be worse. There are no screenings in Ireland so the wait is a hell of a lot longer for me.
I'll likely be checking out Lu over the wall in early December.
I am really looking forward to that new movie from the Tekkonkinkreet guy and Heaven's Feel but both screenings only happen in February so this will sadly still take a while.
Aah, I just missed the only screening of In the Corner of the World at my local cinema (it comes as part of a film festival, guess I will watch the pirated version then). Thankfully they screened Firework anime so I'm going to watch it. Now
I intend to still give Dies Irea another chance. don't know if it's worth it thou
Maybe those kidscheated half of the way because no one can WALK faster than me :)
The animation continues to be quite poor and its only getting 15 episodes.
Though I could definitely have seen my German Ex offended by it.
Y'know I never even cared enough to think that people would be this offended by Dies Irae, it would be like being offended by the Naziploitation elements in hellsing . I find both far too silly to be in anyway offensive.
But in all seriousness, good that you keep up the exercise. I walk pretty much everywhere.
@Mario: Little fiends likely taking performance enhancing drugs, know to poison them next beforehand =P
Still finished in a first half but 35 minutes for 5km is something I wasn't to proud of. Damnit.
Well, just finished a running event. The race was just 5 kilometer so I was aiming to run all the way. Ended up walking 1/3 of the way and lose to some 12 year old kids... I'm getting old, really!
@Anon, That was a stupid move on their part. Still I prefer to judge a game based on the quality of the product and not outside circumstances.
yooka laylee is okay but i hate it because they removed jontrons voice
new Altair OP is better than old Altair OP. But old ED is better than new. Man I really am sad Altair cannot have the 100_ episodes of LOGH. Because of that they really have to rush the story to make the politics work, but at same time rushing it undermines the story integrity. Which is a pity. I really think if Altair had the LOGH treatment, it would be a stupendous tale of politics.
I got that with Yooka Laylee which I thought was a decent fun game. However the internet has determined it to be a flaming trash pile of a game. I even have a friend who never played the game but bashes it purely because it's so hated.
While I understand the point, and have indeed watched stuff both psgel and the current writers have not given a high score too, generally speaking our tastes are complimentary. In a world of scarce time and quite a lot of stress over things like work or relationships, I will take the cognitive short-cuts I can for my hobbies, and FOMO be damned! :)
That may actually be quite the common occurrence as internet opinion tends to veer to extremely positive or extremely negative. Something can't simply be good, it most be amazing. Somehting can't be passable either, it has to be garbage.
@Anon, I agree with that. In truth you can only really judge something when you have seen it yourself. I will even admit that mine and likely the others reviews of Imouto are a bit of Hyperbole. It's really not the most terrible thing I have ever seen. Actually I would say Dynamic cord was worse.
(i already found some nice things i would have neglected otherwise or deemed worthless based on reviews/seasonal previews etc)
So i concluded that even if those people were writing good reviews and had somewhat compatible tastes with me, were nice and intelligent people overall in the end it did not mattered that much. while others' opinions are helpful, my own taste is the only thing i can really trust. so watching everything it is
I used to chose my shows based on reviews from people i trust, this site included, but then i just started trying out everything and - shocking, i know - suddenly i liked things others did not. or vice versa, which were a possibility even before.
Thats why I only really watch/checked out things that piqued my interest. Was gonna do it anyways, so why not write about i
SuperWooper
Comprehensive sampling does have its benefits, though. Animegataris is a show I wouldn't have touched on my own, but it was quite watchable.
SuperWooper
@Kaiser, I agree that only the better-looking shows need to be previewed, but being a new recruit, I can't exactly influence the long-standing Star Crossed policy of giving everything a shot.
@anon1477190: that moment you mentioned about Kino losing her cool was good, but then they followed up on the obvious exposition about the couple which I felt was heavy-handed.
I bring that up mainly because I don't want to see any of the writers getting burned out/demotivated/having their time wasted.
Guys it must be incredibly time consuming to watch some of these obviously from the outset bottom of the barrel shows you know will be awful and you'll never cover, I doubt anyone would have complained if you didn't mention Imouto Ireba.
The ending was good, but leading up to it was sort of dull
Agreed on how Kino felt this week. What really got me though was how she held the gun. That bugged me in those pov shots
Eh, I'm not keen to go over old material, I'll just watch the new Kino stories.
@Mario: I get claustrophobic sometimes, so Haze by Tsukamoto Shinya was fucking un-comfortable =P
@Mario: Ganja and hess, Die Farbe, Texas chainsaw 2, shop of horrors and AM 1200 stood out best.
*I will admit that I enjoyed the ending bit a little more though. Something about Kino throwing that big rock was moving somehow, especially with how stoic she normally is, haha.
I was a bit disappointed by Kino this week. I actually enjoyed the original Colosseum, but more for some of the individual fights rather than the conflict with the main antagonist. So the speed with which they went through them wasn't my favorite thing.
@Kaiser: haha, sounds fun. Any good horror worth reccomending?
Tried doing that horror 30 horror movies in Autumn challenge thing, fun times but bloody exhausting.
I will finally be getting on to magus bride SOON.
Just try not to compare any of his works to yi yi and you'll be fine. Pity we lost him too soon.
I'm meaning to watch Terrorizers for quite a while now. You beat me to it again. So it's that good huh??
@Mario: I did end up re-watching terrorizers and finishing it this time, never ever have I bee so wrong to initially under-estimate a director or film, the second half massively improves the film and comes together perfectly.
@Mario: ...conditions are very hard to get right on screen, it almost ends up being horribly sappy. This is why when I saw Moon-so-ri's performance in Oasis I was so surprised by how excellent she depicted her characters disability, to where if I didn't know better I'd have sworn it was for real.
@Kaiser: and sometimes they take an "artistic liberty" to change the real stories to make it more dramatic. Case in point, I was so moved by A Beautiful Mind until I read it that the main guy doesn't have those issues in real life. Felt deeply manipulated
@Mario: Largely due to and not helped by the fact most biopics are over two hours long.
@Kaiser: glad you enjoyed Loving Vincent. I'm a bit worried about its story to be honest since it's a biopic and sometimes biopic can be so dry like a powerpoint presentation about someone's life
WE DEMAND THE 20 MINUTES BACK
Stupid imouto anime....bullying Aidan and Mario.
*their
Why must all artistic/creative be so out of there minds =<
@Mario: I saw Loving Vincent, I knew very little about the man himself before seeing, but this did an alright job of introducing the viewer to who he was, the voice acting/script is slightly stilted but in the end it works as a vehicle to get from one nicely rendered/animated scene to the next and its worth looking at for 90 minutes .
@Puran: that story from Kino was one of my least favorite from 2003 version. This week they changed quite a bit of details, most notably they speed through the gladiator fights. The result... well... average for me
That book seems to have a tv show adaptation.
I actually have been meaning to read Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel.. Might put it next on my reading list.
Puran
(and, I thought the old one handled the story much better...)
Puran
New Kino ep was a remake of a story in the old anime... It's really not helping me in trying to avoid comparing the two series.
SuperWooper
@KTravlos, you like Jonathan Strange? Good taste, my man.
I watched the Ancient Magus Bride OVA after your suggestions. It was very nice. A mix of Howl's Moving Castle and Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel. I will definitely follow this series. Thank you.
@Mario: lol I go once a week if I can.
@Mario: I suppose it would be more sand on glass animation: [link src="https://letterboxd.com/director/caroline-leaf/
@Travlos: I liked the Dragon Dentist. Loved its art but yeah the story is unfocused and the characters aren't those that I consider deep
@Kaiser: well, yep animation techniques can be really diverse and I did a good deal of research about them. For sand animation, do you refer to the sand performing art? I would love to see that type have a proper animation but there is a debate of whether or not it can be considered as "animation"
@Kaiser: haha you're lucky. Now that when I think about that, despite considered myself a film fan I haven't stepped to the cinema for 6 months now. Shame on me!
@Aidan: Is it possible to make it so we can alter our profile pages on the site, so as to be able to add a short bio or top ten list of our favourite shows/manga?
Ah, excellent loving vincent is showing tomorrow at my local cinema.
When you think about it, I love how varied animation can actually be....I've even come across salt and sand animation.
Nuuuu I missed my chance to see body and soul. I am very much looking forward to Kim-ki-duks new film.
@Kaiser: to be more exact, Petrov uses painting on glass. Loving Vincent will be painting on paper. But yeah, no real difference there
My god. Typo here.Russia is very *quick*. Yep, I'm looking forward for Loveless, despite its grim premise
@Mario: Aleksandr Petrov uses similar animation techniques.
@Kaiser: In the end of this month I will get around to watch On Body and Soul (which have great hype no matter where I read) and an infamous Chinese adult animation Have a Nice Day
@Kaiser: I swear Russia is really weak when it comes to their movies availabled in the high sea. Yep, if you can, watch Loving Vincent. At least the painting animation is a can't miss
@Vonter: i am looking for the Junti Itou's adaptations as well. But I think it most likely will be inconsistent. Just hope they manage to get the creepy feeling right
@Aidan: Itou has also worked on a non-horror manga called Yuukoku no Rasputin.
@Vonter, The thing that needs to be perfected is getting Junti Itou's artstyle animated. The thing that truly makes his works shine is the art. Still it would be nice to see an animated version of The Enigma of Amigara Fault.
@Mario: been delving further into Edward Yang, next is the terrorizers, Taipei story is a bit difficult to get into at first and it does feel like a trial run but it come into itself much better by its second half.
@Mario: There is a Russian torrent of The Loveless (2017) floating around, we may see this sooner than expected if it gets subbed. Also remind me, was it you that recommended me to see the animated film Loving Vincent?
@Vonter: I really hope they properly animate them as 20 minute episodes and not as 8-10 minute shorts with picture show animation.
There's gonna be an anime of Junji Itou's short stories. Hopefully since there's gonna be several instead of one story, one or two of those are done well. The CGI really took from the atmosphere in Gyo, maybe stories with less scope can be crafted with more care. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/09-1/teaser-site-for-tv-anime-junji-ito-collection-opens-for-winter-2018-premiere
I saw the Dragon Dentist. Interesting but weird. I felt like there were two shows in there. A great magic show and a great war shows, but forcing them together denied each its full potential.
KT here. Since Aidan is not the state, accusations of violating freedom of speech are meaningless. You have no right to his time or tolerance. You are giving too many chances Aidan IMHO. Ban and be done with it.
@Anon(FakePsgels), the only reason you can post again is because I only gave you a day ban. But believe me, I can make it much longer. Three strikes, try impersonating Psgels again and you will get a week ban. Strike three is a permanent ban. So just try it. Test me.
Lordish_Kvadratish
Somehow the site is good again :D. I had been visiting daily when Psgels was writing, and when he left I felt disappointed and stopped. And now I like it again for some reason. Good place on the internet. Thank You.
It's not like we need this site to survive mate, so get off his case
Aidan-kun....stop whining. You should be grateful you even get to use this site at all. Threatening to ban someone just because your mad is pure fascism.
That's something I wondered about as well. It would have been a good opportunity to change her costume a bunch of times. I am not a fan of characters always wearing the same stuff, especially if there is no concrete reason for doing so.
And I assume that everytime Nina transforms, she loses her clothes, right? So why the hell does she still wear the same costume afterwards?? Someone picked up for her no matter where she goes?????
The kill-arc makes sense narratively, but makes no damn sense logically (all the badass characters were there for Christ sake). Kaisar... don't even know what to feel.
Okay, trying to sum up how I feel about Virgin Soul now: I liked both Nina and Amira, the screwed up Charioce's character (remember he was a devil-hating fasscist who kills demons at sights or pit them against each others gladiator-wise). The cost of Nina's boice got me, not so much for Charioce's eyesight. My fav girl Rita doesn't have enough development
@Kaiser: Newer CG looks pretty good and I once hated CG. But Kado showed how good it can be and anime are constantly improving. Houseki has a lot of issues but the facial expressions are more than I usually see in anime. Can't wait to see how Inuyashiki is.
Yeah same here. I actually think they used this guy well, most anime don't have the balls to make someone evil for real and even kill him if he was a somewhat good guy at first. It's why that one scene surprised me and the death too. I was sure it was just one of these silly development episodes at first.
Likely due to not having to deal with bad art and framing of the manga I felt houseki was comparatively easier to watch.
Ah yes, Assland. Hated him. But I loved his relationship with Dias. Nina was great though.
Also that sudden kill-arc kinda got me (you know who I mean) - there are a bunch of story related things I could complain about but I wish more anime had the quality of that series regarding action, pacing and characters. I really loved almots everybody there except of those we weren't supposed to love (expecially that damn blonde knight guy)
I have to admit that I liked Nina way more than Amira and I prefered the chemistry between most characters in s2 of Bahamut, especially Kaisar and Favaro.
Eh. Blindness is a small price to pay for what he did, though his eyes and Nina's voice made an interesting communication problem between the two of them.
I am sure Nina will give it. But I felt ok with how things turned out.
@Super. Let us see in December for the Altair review. And yes both shows proved rather ok, but also pedestrian.

@Lenlo. I thought it would happen but for some reason saw it as a cope-out. With Charioce. He did not get a happy ending. Politically it made sense , and the reforms made sense, but I mean his personal cost is not exactly small. Dont get me wrong. I think he deserved some more drubbing.
I thought Kaisars ending was appropriate to him. Not sure how I feel about Charioce getting a happy ending though
hmmm, Virgin Soul and Re:Creators sadly are the 2 shows that I watched in completion but have virtually nothing to say about them. They're good enough that I didn't drop it but never raised above something that I find myself emerge to
@Travlos: I won't turn down the generous offer that you might give Altair a full review if you still follow it. So make sure you manage to finish it ^^
indeed. But I felt the ending was not too bad. I am iffy about the Kaisar thing, but I felt the political ending, and the result for our two love-birds was fair.
Had lots of issues, but I still liked it
Finally finished Virgin Soul. Loved that ending
@Kaiser: yeah, the thing is... I'm kinda into the handheld action set piece in Bourne franchise
Granted Garo and Juni still do appeal alot to me both because they remind me of exploitative trash I love =P
Ah I see wooper is of the same patrician opinion on Garo =P
@kaiser: haha. I don't mind the fight choreography in Garo. The second episode of Juuni Taisen is still pretty good
*better edited than the fights in Garo
I feel the fights are better edited in juni taisen , largely because of her backstory Inounoshishi stands out for me most, although the rabbit guy currently has my attention predominantly due to having the best powers.
that is not the case in IBO. Zeta and ZZ are both during Tomino's "weird" phase. They are thus acquired tastes. IBO is free of Tomino.
@KT: a distinct lack of Brightslapping in Gundam unicorn =<
@KT: While I did complete Zeta, I did skim it, Kamille was not a likeble character.
@FakePsgels, Funny how you showed back up when Kevin returned. Anyway seeing as you are so obviously the real thing I am sure you will have no trouble getting around being banned.

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 02 [Bath – Journal – Laundry]

Here’s for the most comfort food of this season. One thing you will notice when watching this show: despite its dark, post-apocalyptic settings, Girls’ Last Tour is a slice-of-life moe show at its heart. There will be no deep implication of the dark world, and those girls will not develop much by the end. But […]

Juuni Taisen – 02 [Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl]

A Battle Royale anime is something that have been done numerous times before: Mirai Nikki, Btoom!!, last year’s Magical Girl Raising Project… It’s such a delicious meal that it’s hard not to have fun when players try to outsmart the others or think of a creative way to kill each other. Juuni Taisen so far […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100

The Reflection – 12 [The Reflection]

Welcome to the final episode of The Reflection. This week is both the best and worst episode of the season, with highs and lows, in both animation and story. Rather than my usual fare of just walking through the episode bit by bit though, I am going to try something different. We are going to […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 13/14 [Matchmaking/Coupled]

The unstoppable Anime Catch-up Train continues with a Ballroom doubleheader. These two episodes weren’t aired on the same day like 4 and 5 from the previous cour, but they might as well have been, given the way they complimented one another. Chinatsu has stolen not only the spotlight, but every bulb in the damn house […]

Made in Abyss – 13[The Challengers]

Normally when I finish a series I take a moment to think back on it and try to imagine just how I would make it better. Maybe better pacing or removing a certain character or story arc that went nowhere or just improving the animation at certain points. But with Made in Abyss I tried […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100