Posted by psgels on 7 May 2012 with categories: Hyouka

I personally love mystery stories, but since they require much more build-up than usual, it’s always a question whether or not they will succeed in the end. Hyouka has some very good papers, though. The detail with which it portrays its characters is more than enough to keep my interest, especially since none of them try to be too annoying/stupid etc.

There are multiple ways in which this can be classified as a mystery-series. The least interesting is the detective story format of each episode. They are very impressive of the characters… until you realize that everything is written by just one guy who can plan out everything, leading to the “detective”‘s observations to just turn superhuman, turning him into something like a narrator instead.

The other type of mystery was done really well in this episode, and really convinced me to sit this series out. It’s the kind that builds up to an overall story by revealing a tiny bit each episode about the overall mystery. The previous episode started with the revival of the Literary club, they hinted at the Anthologies. This episode reveals the anthologies, along with the whole reason for reviving the literary club along with the mystery that happened so many years in the past. This episode was really good at that, ending with a great little cliff-hanger.

And I also think that this series is really good at fleshing out its characters. Their dialogue between them is inspired, but take for example at the beginning of this episode, and they touch things like the edge of teacups, or the girl adjusts her hair. Seriously, Kyoani uses its budget well here. Does that make the animation perfect… nah. There are times when the animation is a bit too bouncy, which goes against this attempt at realism. Fate/Zero meanwhile has better CG, Lupin III has more artistic artwork and camera angles, Apollon’s animation is smoother and Zetman’s is more expressive. And so we’re in a season with a ton of series with awesome animation that all stand out in their own way.

Oh, and a question to the people living in Japan: do people really make such a big deal over smoking there? I mean, it’s not unheard of for teenagers to smoke, and while it’s frowned upon, it doesn’t really seem scandalous. Also, I was wondering why that guy chose a classroom of all places to start smoking things up, since he was using a classroom and all. If he went through so much trouble to set up infrared sensors, couldn’t he have searched for a better place to do it?
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Scruffy says:

The Japanese smoke like trains. However I think the point was he was doing it under-age (there is an age limit) and at school, plus his family has a reputation to keep. Anyway, loved the soundtrack that went with this episode. Very mellow.

• tktym says:

what Scruffy said, although the underage thing isnt that much of an issue. . .there has been a campaign to stop underage drinking and smoking, but usually sponsored by politicians who want to get more point for their voters, and like most Japanese laws, its more like “guidelines” or “Suggestions” They have cigaretts and alcohol in vending machines, but they have recently required a taspo card to operate (basically a card that you put money on that verifies if you are 20 years old) but really that doesn’t stop kids from smoking and drinking, Ive seen groups of high school kids smoking in a somewhat hidden area. Most of them get a friend to get smokes and drinks from the 100 million convenience stores that are in minutes of any location in Tokyo, or any major city. of course, no student would be stupid enough to smoke or drink at school. . . and really anime is pretty much not really representitive of Japan at all, It’s just not, its like some bizzaro fantasy put up on tv that no one really takes seriously (except the otaku that it panders to)

but yeah Japanese people smoke like crazy and get offended when you tell them to stop smoking, there have been a few cases when taxi drivers have been assaulted because they told their customers not to smoke in their cars. . .

It’s weird though, because they have smoking sections around the train stations, that lots of people obey, but then many people just don’t care and smoke wherever in public. Also Smokes are pretty cheap . . .like 4-5 dollars a pack(300-400 yen) Smoking can also be seen as a social thing in companies, which is why a lot of people pick it up. . .to network and get in with the group when doing business. . .it’s weird I know…

2. WT says:

I grew up in Taiwan and perfectly understand the scandalous view on smoking, especially for a teenager. Adults (parents and teachers) expect you to behave well and focus on the entrance exam for college. Smoking to them is a negative sign. The legal smoking age is 20 in Japan. A high schooler is no more than 18 of age. Also, that upperclassman’s family is prominent in education, which means they’re educated and are expected to educate their children well.

3. martin says:

I’m glad you pointed out the little character animation touches. Theres not many other studios that would do those “insignificant” things with their budget. Thats one reason why Kyonani will still command my attention.

4. jzar says:

The smoking may have been a bit over the top…..it was kinda of let down…I thought he was sniffing the glue or something REALLY strange. Ok, I really thought he was making some chemical drug….:)

Yet it did sort of make sense, some kids will freak out over being ‘bad’ even just for smoking.

5. Armpit says:

What WT said is 100% accurate. He freaked because of his family and who they are. Getting caught smoking in high school in Japan will get you a suspension almost every single time. That wouldn’t of been good press for a prominant family.

6. steelbound says:

I wonder if it could have something stronger then cigarettes, like maybe marijuana. Oreki never actually says that he smelled cigarette smoke and that would explain that guy’s countermeasures better.

• Armpit says:

I am pretty sure they clearly stated it was cigarettes.

I don’t know if there is anyone in Japan dumb enough to bring that much weed to school. No matter who his father is he would of been expelled and most likely served 5-10 years in jail. Japan don’t f around when it comes to drugs.

• meow says:

No. I’m pretty sure it was an assumption. The question was basically what kind of smell would you want to take that much effort to hide and their answer was tobacco. It isn’t clear what smell the guy was actually trying to hide.

Personally I don’t think it’s that easy to hide the smell of tobacco, especially that quickly. It sticks everywhere. Their club publications will wind up smelling faintly of tobacco too.

• Armpit says:

Weed is a stronger smell while its active.Tobacco does have that gross lingering effect because it gets stuck on walls and in fabric. Too be honest i think most non smokers would of smelled it regardless. I can smell smoke on peoples clothes even when they have tons of cologne on,and i don’t even have to be that close.

All i know is i can’t see a kid from a prominant family dumb enough to bring marijuana to a japanese school. A single joint will net you 2-5 in jail regardless of age or prior arrests.

7. Litho says:

From my experience there, the only place you could possibly even find a weed dealer is in the Okinawan islands. They’re almost non-existent in Tokyo. Most dealers prefer pills and stuff.

As for the episode, I quite liked it. You could say I’m slowly warming up to the series, especially now that the “main” plot has begun. The K-On character designs still rub me the wrong way, though. I just can’t seem to take those embryo faced girls seriously. The other 3 characters simply aren’t as high-quality as the protagonist, voice acting and dialogue wise. Kinda similar to Haruhi, in that sense (none of em were as interesting as Kyo or Kyon or whatever his name was), not that I’d consider Haruhi a benchmark in any sense.

Also, what’s with the focusing on the eyes? Do the chicks have Geass powers or something?

The bit with the paper/cardboard cut-outs, telling the story of her uncle, was really well done, though.

8. RABUJOI says:

I really liked Oreki’s manner of casually prodding the kid to see whether his suspicions about him smoking (something) were valid. He never raised his voice or even got up close to him, but psychologically, he had him cornered. He was totally in control of the situation.

The girls, meanwhile, were amusingly oblivious to what was going on with the two guys, but they didn’t come off as blind or naive, just less observant. They were looking for the anthologies, not for the reason the upperclassman was acting so strangely.

His recap of the incident to Ibara, in which the clubroom was reconstructed in abstract colors and patterns, was nicely done. Oreki’s imagination has proven to be a very cool-looking thing to behold, contrasting nicely with the realistic world he lives in.

9. meow says:

He was totally in control of the situation.

Let’s hope it doesn’t come back to bite him later. I have a bad feeling that he might have stepped into something dangerous. There’s something about the way that guy asked for everyone’s names that made me uneasy. And we still don’t know for sure what situation would fit the things that Oreki observed. I mean, infrared sensors feels a bit too sophisticated for hiding a smoking den. Ordinarily, kids would pick some out of the way part of school where the smell would be less obvious and hard to pin on regular inhabitants. Why a regularly used classroom? I was actually wondering if maybe he was running a drug lab. With a med cabinet (in a biology classroom??), it sounds like ingredients for making illegal drugs might be readily available. And the smell the guy was trying to hide may have been cooking fumes. It just didn’t occur to Oreki and the others because it’s out of their experience. Like Armpit mentioned, the penalties for drugs are pretty serious. This guy might feel cornered just assuming Oreki might know something.

Well, with luck, the guy will just shut everything down, flush all the evidence down the toilet and pretend nothing happened. Things might get ugly if he’s part of a gang though.

• tktym says:

it was tobaco. No one in Japan is that stupid to bring pot/do drugs/sell drugs on the school grounds of HIGH SCHOOL.

5-10 years in. . .JAPANESE JAIL.

yeah, that is not the country you want to go to jail in, period.

Bokusen
@SuperMario Thanks! I'll give Houseki no Kuni a try then. A lot of the series I thought would be good are disappointing me, so I might be following a low number of series this season & it'd be cool if Houseki turns out to be something I like enough to watch this season.^-^
@Kaiser: right. The sole reason I described it as "cinematic" was just to lure you into watching it, so mission accomplished! Mind you, Girls' Last Tour is still a moe show at heart (look at their round faces and those big eyes. They're killing me)
But in all seriousness, I had had it initially written off as a crap moe show.
@Mario: You're ministry of anime propaganda tactics mentioning how cinematic it is got me to pick it up =P And you know how much of an aesthetics guy I am =P
I'm glad that many of you enjoying Girls' Last Tour. It's a nice little gem that I think works best when you going to it without any expectation
I swear this season has a lot of good anime to offer. I'm jaded
I always considered backgrounds as pretty important. Most anime only use them as backdrops because they have to be there somehow and it's really a different thing than Girls' Last Journey for example. Also I will like everything that has exploration and world building.
And achieves taking the viewer into its world, thankfully without relying on tons of expositional dialogue.
Girls last tour, somewhat succeeds in pulling me in by using its landscape that dwarfs the characters, to create its atmosphere, I wouldn't call it all that unfunny either. Though premise could risk going stale.
@Amagi, HA! Yeah I would like to believe but I am thinking that's not the case. Besides next season is looking pretty barren so far.
Eden would be great. But speaking of it, a lot of good manga get adapted recently. Maybe they finally understood that generic isekai, harem and school stuff isn't as popular as they thought it would be.
Maybe one day I can hope for a Freesia or Eden Endless world adaptation.
Jesus christ....I never thought it would happen, Banana fish is being adapted, I didn't think they could adapt a shoujo like that in todays market.
I also watched Inuyashiki and Girl's Last Tour. Inuyashiki looks great. Man do I hate that young guy. Reading what he did and seeing it was a totally different experience. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Girls Last Tour is really something special. In a good way.
Altair's episode showed all the issues and all the good things of the show. The pace is too quick, and yet they managed to build Urado and its denizens up quick fast in it. But again, this is a show that needs the LGOH treatment.
The manga also always uses "he/him" but I am not sure if the original had this too (like "kare" or similar words) since you can talk for a long time in Japanese without ever using pronouns.
Ah, yes I noticed Phos uses Boku in this episode which is the male way of saying I.
@Mario: Man, Zvyagintsev really, really knows how to deliver truly emotional gut punching moments and endings that are like cutting at open wounds.
@Mario: Houseki has fallen into place for me with those scenes with Dia and the snail thing and I've fully embraced the show, happy to see it just continue to do its thing.
@Mario: While Marios are girls best friend DIAmonds ahhhhre for evvvvvvahhh *Shirley Basey voice*
*bride
I can say though that if people fear the "Bastard Boyfiend" angle, its not that really. Its more of really weird apprenticeship relationship. Ainsworth is inhuman character in many ways
Oh hey, Mahoutsukai no Yome is on covered list. Nice, it is weird manga to read through since I'm kind of creeped out by the bribe thing, but its barely mentioned at all.
After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.

Ballroom e Youkoso – 15/16 [Taking the Reins/Four-legged]

Boy, this was really a Tale of Two Ballrooms. One of these episodes was almost certainly outsourced, based on the visual inconsistencies that extended even to key poses, but handled its character moments dutifully. The other looked markedly better than most of this show’s recent offerings, but rushed through so much material that its conclusion […]

Houseki no Kuni – 03 [Metamorphose]

It just occurred to me since I watched Bakuman (the first season of it, anyways) fairly recently, but watching Bakuman made me realize how tough it is to have your manga publicize, let alone become a popular one. For those who have watched the anime or read the manga of Bakuman, remember the early Golden […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100