Posted by psgels on 18 May 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Kimi to Boku – 19: Are Japanese girls really so weak that they faint if you so little as even bump on them? I know she was tired and all, but these girls have health issues… Anyway, I digress. An amazing episode with the love triangle finally moving somewhere. Chizuru in particular changed significantly. He’s the type of character who often gets done wrong, with some horrible results. With this though, he really redeemed himself. – *** (Awesome)

#2: The Legend of Korra – 06: This series has also just surpassed itself this week. Really good action scenes, and the creators just keep building further upon Korra’s naivety. I really like how this series is set to subvert a number of often-used fantasy cliches. – **+ (Excellent+)

#3: AKB0048 – 03: I do not have time right now so I’m going to delay deciding whether or not to blog this, and how on earth I’m going to fit this into my schedule, for one more week. But seriously, what the hell did I watch here? Yet again enough proof that the creators know what they’re doing here: this show glorifies idols, but this episode also showed the uglier side of this bizarre premise. Especially Mari Okada was on fire on this episode: this was full of emotion, yet not as extreme as with Black Rock Shooter. – **+ (Excellent+)

#4: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 19: Oh my god, this was one of the best episodes yet. The sketch where Poyopoyo gets caught in quick drying cement was priceless. I was wondering why there were less jokes than usual, but the build-up was totally worth it. – **+ (Excellent+)

#5: Natsuiro Kiseki – 07: I hate the idol business in Japan. So why are the idol themed series so damn good? A thoughtful episode that highlighted the layers of the different characters and how they feel about the rock. – ** (Excellent)

#6: Nazo no Kanojo X – 06: That’s some impressive romantic tension you’ve got there, Nazo na Kanojo X. Nice aversion of the love triangle, and a very good potrayal of Tsubaki’s insecureties that make him less bland as a character. – ** (Excellent)

#7: Shirokuma Cafe – 07: Polar Bear is without a doubt my favorite character of this sereis. His deadpan humour in this episode especially was just hysterical. And that while the premises of each episode remain absolutely corny. – ** (Excellent)

#8: Hunter X Hunter – 31: “Let me drag out this fight by holding long monologues in order to explain you exactly how my powers work, giving you plenty of hints on how to stop me!” – This is exactly why I dislike the shounen genre dammit! The pacing keeps slowing down here! – * (Good)

#9: Jormungand – 06: I’m still missing something with this series. I mean, the backdrop of Africa is good, it’s nice to see the characters getting fleshed out and slowly reveal their pasts and the diplomacy is also nice, but I don’t know. The charcters still feel too one-sided and stereotypical. – * (Good)

#10: Medaka Box – 07: This was Medaka Box’s worst episode so far. Dull and forced fanservice, bland premise about art and a forced way to flesh out that new council member. Also I hate how creators can’t think of any light-hearted way to open a scene, so just go for the “walking into changing”-scene. Why has this turned into a default scene to use? – (Disappointing)

#11: Sankarea – 07: Seriously? An entire episode dedicated to that cousin? With no scene of Rea whatsoever? And it only reaffirms her character as “I like the main character”, with nothing beyond that? Come on, Sankarea, weren’t you supposed to be this romance with creative twists? – (Disappointing)

#12: Saint Seiya Omega – 07: I’m dropping this series. It has consistently ranked last amongst these rankings, and it got me thinking: what did it really offer in the past seven episodes? Nothing stood out, it was just a bunch of random hot blooded fights without much soul to them. There are too many other gret series this season for this. – (Disappointing)

1. Cholisose says:

LOL, that was no bump. That soccer ball pile-drived poor Mary. XD
    At any rate, that was a great Kimi to Boku episode. Great plot development for Chizuru, and the look on Shun-chan’s face in your picture there was really hilarious.

2. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think that this development of Chizuru would not have worked so well as it did if he had not been so initially annoying. Good characterization/growth in this episode and this season continue to be more consistently enjoyable and better than the first one.

3. kero says:

Yay! So glad that Kimi to Boku has come out in the #01 spot!

This was a great episode with plot and character development!

I’m so glad they didn’t drag out Chizuru’s one-sided love, and he manage to confess with a smile!

Shun-chan also got developed as well. He’s always a nice guy, and I wondered how he’d react to being confessed to, but to see him tell the girl so directly that he couldn’t return her feelings, that was so great. He’s not so weak as he seems.

And I love that moment when Mary asks Yuta about Shun. I feel like the plots overall favour Yuki over Yuta, but he is still a solid character, and he really gives off this reliable onii-chan feel, despite taking part in most the mayhem as well.

I think I’d say Kimi to Boku has gotten better in the second season.. I remember how slow the start was, and how some parts were boring.

They seem to have cut down on the random cats. I hope it stays that way.

4. dirtycolossus says:

so what are you going to replace saint seiya with, if anything at all? Hmm.

5. Jack says:

Hate to admit that, but Omega really is that terrible – in its best moments, like this episode, it can reach “mediocre”, but that’s it. I’ll probably keep watching it out of masochism and nostalgia, though.

6. kevin says:

psgels your a dumbass for reals

• lily says:

and what does that makes you?

• foxxie says:

kevin

• foxxie says:

kevin’s comment may be rude but I kind of get where he’s coming from, psgels remark was kind of dumb, to put it simple, kastro’s explanation about his technique was only for us, viewers, to know what is going on, like hisoka said, he has already figured it out, so the explaining didn’t mattered to the fight nor gave more hints to hisoka, like I said it was only for us to not get lost, besides he’s accusing hunter x hunter for something that is totally not, the characters of HXH doesn’t give unnecessary explanations of their abilities because it’s pretty logic not wanting your opponent know about what you can do, this is one of the points the fans like about HXH, its logic way of thinking, but psgels said it was just for dragging out the battle like other shonen does… it was not, this fight is important because it shows a lot about nen battles, that’s why it takes its time

btw sorry if this is confusing english is not my first language

• lily says:

You guys don’t really understand do you? he is not reading the manga. so what he sees or says is totally based on that. And stop trying to justify HxH. HxH is a shounen genre manga. So what other genre can it be for a anime? Shounen duh. And what shounen genre tend to do? Giving long monologues and giving plenty of hints to defeat the villian during battle. So that’s you fans like about HxH? Listening through long monologues? Anime is different from manga. In manga they have to do that way because its all pictures and words. In anime, there other ways to show it. I don’t get why you HxH so uptight about what psgel says considering his views and comments is BASED on the anime. Not the manga.

“kastro’s explanation about his technique was only for us, viewers, to know what is going on, like hisoka said, he has already figured it out, so the explaining didn’t mattered to the fight nor gave more hints to hisoka”

So apparently, the audience need someone to explain everything for them to understand. That’s manga way of thinking folks! You don’t need to vocal every single thing.

@Kevin
            Why don’t you go somewhere and open a blog or whatever. I don’t get why you have to stick around here and wasting your time. I for one. Despise you.

• foxxie says:

@lily, like I said, hisoka did say he had already figured out kastro’s ability, he even explained how he did it, IT IS in the anime, if you were paying attention you’d notice, the only new thing kastro tell hisoka is the name, nothing else, these explanations show up pretty often, psgels might have noticed since he watched the 99 version, togashi loves explaining abilities or how a situation is handled, it’s a characteristic of HXH that you just can’t take away, you could say it’s dragging it out but without them it wouldn’t feel like HXH, besides this showed us how nen battles work and the fight was complex enough to have someone explaining it, if we have just saw them fighting we wouldn’t have understand what was going on and it would have lost all its meaning, this is the way fights are like in HXH, maybe it’s just a matter of taste but like I said, psgels already watched HXH, he should be familiar with it

I know HXH is a shonen, of course it is, but being a shonen doesn’t mean it can’t have aspects that set it apart from other anime/manga of the same genre, I’m just complaining because you will never see a character giving any hints to his opponent on how to defeat him/her, at least he/she is stupid

I usually read psgles blog, and when it comes to HXH I tend to disagree with him, but I understand that he likes the way the 99 version handles the story a lot more, and that’s ok, there are a lot of people like that, but accusing HXH of something that is not is what bugs me

7. Juno says:

I don’t blame you for dropping Saint Seiya Omega. It isn’t as powerful as the previous/original series and really, even the original series’ greatness can’t be judged by today’s standards either. You take your stories more seriously than the genre itself does, so Omega is probably just not right for you.

On that note, I’m going to keep watching. It’s perfect for me. =P

8. slikvik says:

legend of korra was too epic this past week. still crossing my fingers that you eventually give it it’s own slot in your blogs

9. ojamajo_limepie says:

Maybe you could pick Smile Precure back up since you’re dropping Saint Seiya Omega? It’s really hitting its stride now.

• dirtycolossus says:

I second this. For me, Smile Precure’s been for the most part consistently excellent.

• Kiseki says:

…Anything excellent with the overarching plot?

• dirtycolossus says:

Dangit, all this time I’ve been trying to avoid the whole anime debate scene. Well, I am not going to be caught in it now, I ain’t no expert anime/literature analyst. You’re right Mr. / Ms. Kiseki, psgels ought to avoid the show, bye. (Unless I’ve read you wrong and you are asking a genuine question rather than being sarcastic, though those dots make me feel otherwise)

Joking aside, no, there’s really no plot development other than a clock slowly reaching whatever time it was, but that’s usually to be expected from a weekly monster type show. Despite this, almost every episode imo is a joy to watch… well, when compared to certain other shows. If you want great plot build up, I would have to advise you to avoid this show, though I do feel they’ve been engaging in decent character development. (maybe there is some subtle plot build up and I haven’t caught it, but I doubt it)

• dirtycolossus says:

I will say this though, psgels was right when he said that Smile Precure in a blog of this maturity loses out in the face of the competition of this season. It’s just a kids show, anyway. I guess I kind of use it to unwind after watching those tense adult shows.

Plus, it inspired me to cook eggs for my mom… i’m such a terrible child.

• Juno says:

I don’t think the series is bad so much as it just doesn’t work for psgel’s blog. There are some episodic series that can hit psgel’s soft spots, but unless there is a good streak of consistent development in plot and characters, I don’t think psgels could accurately review it once a week.

• Kiseki says:

Somewhat serious I suppose. I haven’t watched an episode past four, but from what I’ve seen, Smile has been the weakest Precure series in this regard. It just looks like it’s a weekly gag series. The whole “Happily Ever After” theme just doesn’t work either. (And I’m a little angry at their usage of butterfly wings when they already have the motif of the white feathered variety.)

I don’t question the quality of the content in each individual episode, but I do wish the plot would move more steadily?

(And for God’s sake give Miyuki a love interest because the popularity of the Wolfurun/Happy pairing is scaring the shit out of me.)

10. Aura says:

Medaka Box will HOPEFULLY… sucessfully enter the road-of-awesome with the next episode. But GAINAX is unpredictable..

11. rufe says:

I don’t really think Chizuru has changed all that much. I’ve always assumed his extreme friendliness was just a facade to his character. Consider he’s come from “the west” and is supposed to have a normal social life in this country he hasn’t lived in for years.

The love triangle is super cute. I’ve enjoyed watching Chizuru suppress his feelings for Merry’s sake and now watching it finally spill out in such an anti-climactic way. Great! I also like the images with the girl in the summer, but I’m not sure I entirely understand it…

12. meow says:

Seriously? An entire episode dedicated to that cousin?

I’m not sure what your problem is with this character but if she irritates you that much, you should drop this show. Unfortunately for you, she’s a major supporting character whom I suspect (and hope) is going to be right there til the very end, unless they somehow find a way to bring Rea back to life for real.

I personally like her myself. She’s cute, energetic and kind and I love the development in this episode. It looks like Chihiro has been pretty weird for zombies since he was a kid but has some very good points which Ranko was able to discover from an early age. I can see why she hangs out with him and I think it’s lucky for Chihiro that she has. I seriously wonder what kind of person he might have grown into without her. (I suppose a male version of that Ring girl from Sket Dance, maybe.) She’s almost too good for Chihiro.

And there’s more to this episode than Ranko. The flashback shows the grandpa looking exactly like he does now. I wonder if he’s a zombie too? I seem to remember he sometimes eats those leaves too. And there’s something weird about Ranko’s dad. He looks like a living zombie himself, unresponsive to things happening around him. I picture Chihiro growing up into something like him if Ranko wasn’t around to rub some life into him since they were kids. I wonder if he’s traumatized by some past event – maybe something to do with the potion. Who is Sado?

Just my 2 cents.

• Scruffy says:

Agree with meow here. A feature of this show will be the love triangle so if you don’t like it it’s best to drop it now. Initially I thought that it was going to spoil the show but I like the way this director is doing it. Personally I thought this was one of the best episodes of the show. It provided a lot of background for both Ranko and Chihiro, and it was also all anime original as far as I can recall.

• Anca says:

I didn’t like the episode either, though I guess I’m fine with how the director handled it – isn’t this one of those annoying cases where a fantastic adaptation is weighed down by horrible choices the original author made in the source material?

• wicked says:

Seeing how the entire series is name after Sanka Rea, I frankly dont see the harm of an episode spent on her foil. If the show is going to where I think it’s going, this particular episode strengthen a pivotal moment later in the series.

I disagree that it only reaffirmed her as the character that likes the main character, while it certainly does that, it more so establish her as someone that repress her true feelings and puts up a facade. She doesnt like zombies, she’s a romantic girly girl at heart, she’s not the type that can take care of others, rather the type that needs to be taken care of. It’s everything that’s the opposite of whom she claims to be now.

13. HK-47 says:

How come every major faction in Jormungand seems to have a crazy-powerful-psycho-bitch?

Well, it’s still fun to watch though.

14. Nori says:

When are your four screencaps going to fill in the width of this column (like your single images)?

• psgels psgels says:

As soon as I find an easy way to do it. I currently use paint to take screenshots, and while that’s fast, it’s also rather restrictive in terms of size. The reason I’m not using fancy image editing programs is that the take forever to start up.

• Anca says:

psgels: install IrfanView. It’s not an image editing program but a very simple and easy to use image viewing program that allows basic editing (resizing, adjusting the tone, joining two images, copy and pasting). It’s faster than Paint, and the best thing: it’s free.

15. Amy says:

Love Chizuru, the confession was really unexpected for me! I loved this episode so much <3. I never found him annoying because every now and again you'd hear his inner monologue where he isn't happy-go-lucky which made me a Chizuru fan from Kimi to Boku season 1 aha.

16. Spider says:

When Lagrange and others animes showed a little fanservice it was called forced, etc. But the fanservice in Kanojo is too stupid, c’mon! And that saliva thing is disgusting.

• Scruffy says:

If you don’t like the idea of swapping saliva then I guess you’ve never kissed anyone :) Anyway that brings up an interesting point … what would happen if the main couple in Mysterious Girlfriend X kissed? Instant feedback loop of emotion??? Could be very messy.

• DmonHiro says:

The saliva bit doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s pretty much a running joke at this point. Also, it’s just saliva. Grow up. You swap saliva when you do a deep kiss anyway, what’s the big deal? Sure, it’s a little kinky, but as anime goes, the fanservice in this show has been quite tasteful (no pun intended) and reserved.

• wicked says:

realize that you’re essentially dismissing the entire concept of the whole series, you might as well not watch it if it bothers you. Unlike Lagrange, where there are fate of the worlds, politics and character history, all sort of drama to explore, Nazo no Kanojo only has one drama to focus on, the relationship exploration between the 2 teenagers. you cannot compare the point of doing fan service between the the 2 series, because frankly, Lagrange had other things that deserved more attention

17. garfield15 says:

Psgels, I really think you should give SS Omega one last try (trust me, I know where you’re coming from as I’ve been bored too), but the latest episode was more than just hot-blooded fights. Give it a shot

18. dominus says:

Yea they decided it was time for evil to rise things will now be at a different level that secure environment(the academy) is gone forever. Time for blood to flow.

19. Nemo says:

Happy to see Kimi to Boku at the top! :) It was an amazing episode by far, one of my favorites of the spring season

Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100