Posted by psgels on 18 May 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Kimi to Boku – 19: Are Japanese girls really so weak that they faint if you so little as even bump on them? I know she was tired and all, but these girls have health issues… Anyway, I digress. An amazing episode with the love triangle finally moving somewhere. Chizuru in particular changed significantly. He’s the type of character who often gets done wrong, with some horrible results. With this though, he really redeemed himself. – *** (Awesome)

#2: The Legend of Korra – 06: This series has also just surpassed itself this week. Really good action scenes, and the creators just keep building further upon Korra’s naivety. I really like how this series is set to subvert a number of often-used fantasy cliches. – **+ (Excellent+)

#3: AKB0048 – 03: I do not have time right now so I’m going to delay deciding whether or not to blog this, and how on earth I’m going to fit this into my schedule, for one more week. But seriously, what the hell did I watch here? Yet again enough proof that the creators know what they’re doing here: this show glorifies idols, but this episode also showed the uglier side of this bizarre premise. Especially Mari Okada was on fire on this episode: this was full of emotion, yet not as extreme as with Black Rock Shooter. – **+ (Excellent+)

#4: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 19: Oh my god, this was one of the best episodes yet. The sketch where Poyopoyo gets caught in quick drying cement was priceless. I was wondering why there were less jokes than usual, but the build-up was totally worth it. – **+ (Excellent+)

#5: Natsuiro Kiseki – 07: I hate the idol business in Japan. So why are the idol themed series so damn good? A thoughtful episode that highlighted the layers of the different characters and how they feel about the rock. – ** (Excellent)

#6: Nazo no Kanojo X – 06: That’s some impressive romantic tension you’ve got there, Nazo na Kanojo X. Nice aversion of the love triangle, and a very good potrayal of Tsubaki’s insecureties that make him less bland as a character. – ** (Excellent)

#7: Shirokuma Cafe – 07: Polar Bear is without a doubt my favorite character of this sereis. His deadpan humour in this episode especially was just hysterical. And that while the premises of each episode remain absolutely corny. – ** (Excellent)

#8: Hunter X Hunter – 31: “Let me drag out this fight by holding long monologues in order to explain you exactly how my powers work, giving you plenty of hints on how to stop me!” – This is exactly why I dislike the shounen genre dammit! The pacing keeps slowing down here! – * (Good)

#9: Jormungand – 06: I’m still missing something with this series. I mean, the backdrop of Africa is good, it’s nice to see the characters getting fleshed out and slowly reveal their pasts and the diplomacy is also nice, but I don’t know. The charcters still feel too one-sided and stereotypical. – * (Good)

#10: Medaka Box – 07: This was Medaka Box’s worst episode so far. Dull and forced fanservice, bland premise about art and a forced way to flesh out that new council member. Also I hate how creators can’t think of any light-hearted way to open a scene, so just go for the “walking into changing”-scene. Why has this turned into a default scene to use? – (Disappointing)

#11: Sankarea – 07: Seriously? An entire episode dedicated to that cousin? With no scene of Rea whatsoever? And it only reaffirms her character as “I like the main character”, with nothing beyond that? Come on, Sankarea, weren’t you supposed to be this romance with creative twists? – (Disappointing)

#12: Saint Seiya Omega – 07: I’m dropping this series. It has consistently ranked last amongst these rankings, and it got me thinking: what did it really offer in the past seven episodes? Nothing stood out, it was just a bunch of random hot blooded fights without much soul to them. There are too many other gret series this season for this. – (Disappointing)

1. Cholisose says:

LOL, that was no bump. That soccer ball pile-drived poor Mary. XD
    At any rate, that was a great Kimi to Boku episode. Great plot development for Chizuru, and the look on Shun-chan’s face in your picture there was really hilarious.

2. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think that this development of Chizuru would not have worked so well as it did if he had not been so initially annoying. Good characterization/growth in this episode and this season continue to be more consistently enjoyable and better than the first one.

3. kero says:

Yay! So glad that Kimi to Boku has come out in the #01 spot!

This was a great episode with plot and character development!

I’m so glad they didn’t drag out Chizuru’s one-sided love, and he manage to confess with a smile!

Shun-chan also got developed as well. He’s always a nice guy, and I wondered how he’d react to being confessed to, but to see him tell the girl so directly that he couldn’t return her feelings, that was so great. He’s not so weak as he seems.

And I love that moment when Mary asks Yuta about Shun. I feel like the plots overall favour Yuki over Yuta, but he is still a solid character, and he really gives off this reliable onii-chan feel, despite taking part in most the mayhem as well.

I think I’d say Kimi to Boku has gotten better in the second season.. I remember how slow the start was, and how some parts were boring.

They seem to have cut down on the random cats. I hope it stays that way.

4. dirtycolossus says:

so what are you going to replace saint seiya with, if anything at all? Hmm.

5. Jack says:

Hate to admit that, but Omega really is that terrible – in its best moments, like this episode, it can reach “mediocre”, but that’s it. I’ll probably keep watching it out of masochism and nostalgia, though.

6. kevin says:

psgels your a dumbass for reals

• lily says:

and what does that makes you?

• foxxie says:

kevin

• foxxie says:

kevin’s comment may be rude but I kind of get where he’s coming from, psgels remark was kind of dumb, to put it simple, kastro’s explanation about his technique was only for us, viewers, to know what is going on, like hisoka said, he has already figured it out, so the explaining didn’t mattered to the fight nor gave more hints to hisoka, like I said it was only for us to not get lost, besides he’s accusing hunter x hunter for something that is totally not, the characters of HXH doesn’t give unnecessary explanations of their abilities because it’s pretty logic not wanting your opponent know about what you can do, this is one of the points the fans like about HXH, its logic way of thinking, but psgels said it was just for dragging out the battle like other shonen does… it was not, this fight is important because it shows a lot about nen battles, that’s why it takes its time

btw sorry if this is confusing english is not my first language

• lily says:

You guys don’t really understand do you? he is not reading the manga. so what he sees or says is totally based on that. And stop trying to justify HxH. HxH is a shounen genre manga. So what other genre can it be for a anime? Shounen duh. And what shounen genre tend to do? Giving long monologues and giving plenty of hints to defeat the villian during battle. So that’s you fans like about HxH? Listening through long monologues? Anime is different from manga. In manga they have to do that way because its all pictures and words. In anime, there other ways to show it. I don’t get why you HxH so uptight about what psgel says considering his views and comments is BASED on the anime. Not the manga.

“kastro’s explanation about his technique was only for us, viewers, to know what is going on, like hisoka said, he has already figured it out, so the explaining didn’t mattered to the fight nor gave more hints to hisoka”

So apparently, the audience need someone to explain everything for them to understand. That’s manga way of thinking folks! You don’t need to vocal every single thing.

@Kevin
            Why don’t you go somewhere and open a blog or whatever. I don’t get why you have to stick around here and wasting your time. I for one. Despise you.

• foxxie says:

@lily, like I said, hisoka did say he had already figured out kastro’s ability, he even explained how he did it, IT IS in the anime, if you were paying attention you’d notice, the only new thing kastro tell hisoka is the name, nothing else, these explanations show up pretty often, psgels might have noticed since he watched the 99 version, togashi loves explaining abilities or how a situation is handled, it’s a characteristic of HXH that you just can’t take away, you could say it’s dragging it out but without them it wouldn’t feel like HXH, besides this showed us how nen battles work and the fight was complex enough to have someone explaining it, if we have just saw them fighting we wouldn’t have understand what was going on and it would have lost all its meaning, this is the way fights are like in HXH, maybe it’s just a matter of taste but like I said, psgels already watched HXH, he should be familiar with it

I know HXH is a shonen, of course it is, but being a shonen doesn’t mean it can’t have aspects that set it apart from other anime/manga of the same genre, I’m just complaining because you will never see a character giving any hints to his opponent on how to defeat him/her, at least he/she is stupid

I usually read psgles blog, and when it comes to HXH I tend to disagree with him, but I understand that he likes the way the 99 version handles the story a lot more, and that’s ok, there are a lot of people like that, but accusing HXH of something that is not is what bugs me

7. Juno says:

I don’t blame you for dropping Saint Seiya Omega. It isn’t as powerful as the previous/original series and really, even the original series’ greatness can’t be judged by today’s standards either. You take your stories more seriously than the genre itself does, so Omega is probably just not right for you.

On that note, I’m going to keep watching. It’s perfect for me. =P

8. slikvik says:

legend of korra was too epic this past week. still crossing my fingers that you eventually give it it’s own slot in your blogs

9. ojamajo_limepie says:

Maybe you could pick Smile Precure back up since you’re dropping Saint Seiya Omega? It’s really hitting its stride now.

• dirtycolossus says:

I second this. For me, Smile Precure’s been for the most part consistently excellent.

• Kiseki says:

…Anything excellent with the overarching plot?

• dirtycolossus says:

Dangit, all this time I’ve been trying to avoid the whole anime debate scene. Well, I am not going to be caught in it now, I ain’t no expert anime/literature analyst. You’re right Mr. / Ms. Kiseki, psgels ought to avoid the show, bye. (Unless I’ve read you wrong and you are asking a genuine question rather than being sarcastic, though those dots make me feel otherwise)

Joking aside, no, there’s really no plot development other than a clock slowly reaching whatever time it was, but that’s usually to be expected from a weekly monster type show. Despite this, almost every episode imo is a joy to watch… well, when compared to certain other shows. If you want great plot build up, I would have to advise you to avoid this show, though I do feel they’ve been engaging in decent character development. (maybe there is some subtle plot build up and I haven’t caught it, but I doubt it)

• dirtycolossus says:

I will say this though, psgels was right when he said that Smile Precure in a blog of this maturity loses out in the face of the competition of this season. It’s just a kids show, anyway. I guess I kind of use it to unwind after watching those tense adult shows.

Plus, it inspired me to cook eggs for my mom… i’m such a terrible child.

• Juno says:

I don’t think the series is bad so much as it just doesn’t work for psgel’s blog. There are some episodic series that can hit psgel’s soft spots, but unless there is a good streak of consistent development in plot and characters, I don’t think psgels could accurately review it once a week.

• Kiseki says:

Somewhat serious I suppose. I haven’t watched an episode past four, but from what I’ve seen, Smile has been the weakest Precure series in this regard. It just looks like it’s a weekly gag series. The whole “Happily Ever After” theme just doesn’t work either. (And I’m a little angry at their usage of butterfly wings when they already have the motif of the white feathered variety.)

I don’t question the quality of the content in each individual episode, but I do wish the plot would move more steadily?

(And for God’s sake give Miyuki a love interest because the popularity of the Wolfurun/Happy pairing is scaring the shit out of me.)

10. Aura says:

Medaka Box will HOPEFULLY… sucessfully enter the road-of-awesome with the next episode. But GAINAX is unpredictable..

11. rufe says:

I don’t really think Chizuru has changed all that much. I’ve always assumed his extreme friendliness was just a facade to his character. Consider he’s come from “the west” and is supposed to have a normal social life in this country he hasn’t lived in for years.

The love triangle is super cute. I’ve enjoyed watching Chizuru suppress his feelings for Merry’s sake and now watching it finally spill out in such an anti-climactic way. Great! I also like the images with the girl in the summer, but I’m not sure I entirely understand it…

12. meow says:

Seriously? An entire episode dedicated to that cousin?

I’m not sure what your problem is with this character but if she irritates you that much, you should drop this show. Unfortunately for you, she’s a major supporting character whom I suspect (and hope) is going to be right there til the very end, unless they somehow find a way to bring Rea back to life for real.

I personally like her myself. She’s cute, energetic and kind and I love the development in this episode. It looks like Chihiro has been pretty weird for zombies since he was a kid but has some very good points which Ranko was able to discover from an early age. I can see why she hangs out with him and I think it’s lucky for Chihiro that she has. I seriously wonder what kind of person he might have grown into without her. (I suppose a male version of that Ring girl from Sket Dance, maybe.) She’s almost too good for Chihiro.

And there’s more to this episode than Ranko. The flashback shows the grandpa looking exactly like he does now. I wonder if he’s a zombie too? I seem to remember he sometimes eats those leaves too. And there’s something weird about Ranko’s dad. He looks like a living zombie himself, unresponsive to things happening around him. I picture Chihiro growing up into something like him if Ranko wasn’t around to rub some life into him since they were kids. I wonder if he’s traumatized by some past event – maybe something to do with the potion. Who is Sado?

Just my 2 cents.

• Scruffy says:

Agree with meow here. A feature of this show will be the love triangle so if you don’t like it it’s best to drop it now. Initially I thought that it was going to spoil the show but I like the way this director is doing it. Personally I thought this was one of the best episodes of the show. It provided a lot of background for both Ranko and Chihiro, and it was also all anime original as far as I can recall.

• Anca says:

I didn’t like the episode either, though I guess I’m fine with how the director handled it – isn’t this one of those annoying cases where a fantastic adaptation is weighed down by horrible choices the original author made in the source material?

• wicked says:

Seeing how the entire series is name after Sanka Rea, I frankly dont see the harm of an episode spent on her foil. If the show is going to where I think it’s going, this particular episode strengthen a pivotal moment later in the series.

I disagree that it only reaffirmed her as the character that likes the main character, while it certainly does that, it more so establish her as someone that repress her true feelings and puts up a facade. She doesnt like zombies, she’s a romantic girly girl at heart, she’s not the type that can take care of others, rather the type that needs to be taken care of. It’s everything that’s the opposite of whom she claims to be now.

13. HK-47 says:

How come every major faction in Jormungand seems to have a crazy-powerful-psycho-bitch?

Well, it’s still fun to watch though.

14. Nori says:

When are your four screencaps going to fill in the width of this column (like your single images)?

• psgels psgels says:

As soon as I find an easy way to do it. I currently use paint to take screenshots, and while that’s fast, it’s also rather restrictive in terms of size. The reason I’m not using fancy image editing programs is that the take forever to start up.

• Anca says:

psgels: install IrfanView. It’s not an image editing program but a very simple and easy to use image viewing program that allows basic editing (resizing, adjusting the tone, joining two images, copy and pasting). It’s faster than Paint, and the best thing: it’s free.

15. Amy says:

Love Chizuru, the confession was really unexpected for me! I loved this episode so much <3. I never found him annoying because every now and again you'd hear his inner monologue where he isn't happy-go-lucky which made me a Chizuru fan from Kimi to Boku season 1 aha.

16. Spider says:

When Lagrange and others animes showed a little fanservice it was called forced, etc. But the fanservice in Kanojo is too stupid, c’mon! And that saliva thing is disgusting.

• Scruffy says:

If you don’t like the idea of swapping saliva then I guess you’ve never kissed anyone :) Anyway that brings up an interesting point … what would happen if the main couple in Mysterious Girlfriend X kissed? Instant feedback loop of emotion??? Could be very messy.

• DmonHiro says:

The saliva bit doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s pretty much a running joke at this point. Also, it’s just saliva. Grow up. You swap saliva when you do a deep kiss anyway, what’s the big deal? Sure, it’s a little kinky, but as anime goes, the fanservice in this show has been quite tasteful (no pun intended) and reserved.

• wicked says:

realize that you’re essentially dismissing the entire concept of the whole series, you might as well not watch it if it bothers you. Unlike Lagrange, where there are fate of the worlds, politics and character history, all sort of drama to explore, Nazo no Kanojo only has one drama to focus on, the relationship exploration between the 2 teenagers. you cannot compare the point of doing fan service between the the 2 series, because frankly, Lagrange had other things that deserved more attention

17. garfield15 says:

Psgels, I really think you should give SS Omega one last try (trust me, I know where you’re coming from as I’ve been bored too), but the latest episode was more than just hot-blooded fights. Give it a shot

18. dominus says:

Yea they decided it was time for evil to rise things will now be at a different level that secure environment(the academy) is gone forever. Time for blood to flow.

19. Nemo says:

Happy to see Kimi to Boku at the top! :) It was an amazing episode by far, one of my favorites of the spring season

Castlevania actually has good action scenes too. Very pretty.
The Netflix Castlevania series, one episode in so far, is actually pretty good. It does justice to the old series, more than any other videogame adaptation ive seen.
And I know this is way off the mark but whenever I hear Baltimore I'm thinking of Beach House band
@Lenlo: I feel you that the action scenes feel no weight.
Three degrees of Nazi. We always get there somehow
The story seems setting up to repeat to me as well, with the mutant/normie racial problems. Hopefully the Reflection event/mystery over takes that though.
@Kaiser: Vatican's mysteries have gotten to a ridiculous level. This week throws up sexual abuse, drug use, corruption and somehow Nazis are involved as well. It's just too much for me
They could have kept the comic book feel though by doing what Ping Pong did, with the panel layouts. I feel the low framerate did nothing but hurt it. Had the action scenes been done differently it could have worked, but it was a traditional fight scene so it didnt work.
Speaking of 18if, I still consider that show an experiment wreck, but a fascinating wreck it will
I don't really mind the low frame rate in the Reflection. I think the choice is deliberated to resemble the comic motion. I'm more worried about the story as they have some random fights that I feel even more dreamy than 18if
@Kaiser, I quite liked the Reflections art but the animation, or lack thereof, held it back.
Once again my anime taste falls in with Marios =P
Though you can only imagine if shinbo or Yuasa were to work on 18...if.
Although I do think 18..if is exactly what I need right now, I am not certain it will top flipflappers.
The premise for ballroom is of no interest to me.
I’m hearing Vatican is quite silly in a campy horror way
which appeals to me.
While visually the show seemed to improve with episode 3, I wasn’t all that emotionally invested with that story.
I would take this protagonist over IdiotMCx100 any day.
18..if is the most interesting thing I’ve looked into so far, largely due to it being the most un-conventional/abnormal, the concept interests me and poor as the animation is , the worlds it shows/creates, the imagination of the show gets close to forgiving that, as it was the most macabre, episode 2 has been my favourite so far.
I’ve begun (at last)checking out some of the series airing this season.
The reflections style is complete push away/turn off for me. I feel made in abyss could grow into something and I’d like it to actually properly get going/start, the buildup is slightly dull.
@Vonter Graces is nothing compared to the pandering mess that Symphonia 2 was. Just embarrassing.
"There's a white house waiting for us in Casablanca" haha, can't help but laugh at its wordplay
Im planning on mentioning it, but yeah. Alot of the combat didnt really have an 'impact' to them. There are other shows, like Ping Pong, that I think do this sort of style better, if alittle differently.
I think the main issue was the animation being kind of simple, the scenes didnt have 'motion'
@Anon, yeah The Reflection moved at the pace of a glacier. The art style was unique and should have lead to good looking fights, but instead it moved at the pace of a glacier. Ill have a write up on it later today
very nice episode of Virgin Soul. Really liked seeing Favoro look like Favoro again.
Tales of Graces sadly might have the most childish, and pandering story of the series.
AidanAK47 - Tales of Graces worked around having to both attack and defend to continue attacking. If just attacked you made less and weaker attacks. It was a way of cooldown that was more reliant on the player thinking about the attacks it used. Later games followed a more typical cooldown and combined special attacks with the regular ones.
Reflection was kinda painful to watch, I didn't expect anything in the first place and was disappointed nonetheless.
I cant snowboard or ski at all so its ok.
I did hit my head on the ground (for the first time) but I was lucky that I was wearing helmet. I curse S turn
@lenlo: it's fun but it's a lot of pain as well.
Sounds like fun
I'm literally covered in snow right now with my butt numbed. Will get back home in few hours to catch up on 18if
Havnt had the chance to watch it yet, but Reflection apparently looks like a comic book but has weird fight scenes? Ill get that write up tomorrow once I watch it tonight.
*hear
Jesus Christ what happened to my spelling
That's one of the things that mainly turned me off. The battle system is essentially button mashing.
The regular complaint I here from Tales of naysayers is a dislike of the battle mechanics/system.
I avoided the anime adaptations of the tales games mostly because I assumed they presumed previous knowledge of the games. I actually only saw Phantasia due to having been familiar with the games story when I was younger.
HelghastKillzone
No Re:Creators this week. I get a week off which is good since I'm stuck on an army base.
@K-Off, A lot of people say Vesperia is their favorite as well. I only have played Abyss so far and was really not impressed with it.
@Kaiser Damn, Detective Conan has a long way to go then.
Phantasia was my first Tales game (and its anime is the best amongst anything after) but Symphonia really did take it to another level. In general I think most fans will agree with Symphonia, Abyss, and Xillia in their favorites.
I believe Kochikame is the longest running manga of all time 1,960 chapters, 200 volumes, actually does have a record.
@Aidan I remember you saying how it's funny that no two fans of Tales will have the same favorite title. But that's definitely because Tales has changed very little over the years, and they've always been solid games, and so for most fans they'll remember the first title they played.
@Vonter With you there. The art direction in Tales hasn't been really that exciting since Xillia, and as a long time fan of the series I finally got sick of the gameplay after Vesperia.
Jeez, detective Conan is reaching its 1000th chapter. Pretty sure it's a milestone for some Guinness record.
*Embarassing
**Here
I also agree about complaints made about the mumbled dialogue when it does occur.
I think thin red line is a good thing to bring up hear as throughout much of Dunkirk I was thinking about how much more Mallick's film did for me, how I should have been re-watching that instead.
Yet at the same time I couldn't connect with it, it became repetitive, disjointed and the shots/Zimmer score towards the end were embaeassing.
There were definitely aspects to praise, to be fair there is no shortage of action, it eschews exposition and tries to visually immerse the viewer to make them feel as if they are present.
Im ready. Reflection comes on tomorrow, so heres hopin its worth it
it was trash. just british propaganda
I finished Tales of Berseria. And I'm conflicted. I really liked the story and the characters, essentially a Tales of were the story is told form the perspective of the villains. I also saw the episodes Ufotable made of the beginning of the game, and I want moar. It's was a waste as game, considering the archaic and dull game design. It mainly came up to buying time in regards to things to play.
I also watched it. I thought it was a great war film. Very intense and unrelenting, but still at points the images reminded me of Thin Red Line. My only quip was the end. The film did a great job in getting me to feel the hopelessness the soldiers felt. So great that the attempt at making a "happy" end was forced and fell flat. Beyond that I liked it.
I already lost interest when I saw Inception which I didn't really like. My favorite Nolan movie will always be Memento.
Eh, saw Dunkirk, I think at this point I'm done with giving Nolan any more chances, this like his other works, I can appreciate them to some extent but come away honestly not giving a damn.
and this week's Sakura Quest is damn great as well... This backstory of Chitose and Kadota rocks
Just watching the 2nd episode of Gamers, It was actually pretty good. I can't believe they fleshing out that annoying hot guy into such a relatable guy.
I recall the extent of my interest in Linkin park in my early teens was strictly the breaking the habit video and that was it.
The frontman of Linkin Park commited suicide by hanging himself... sad news. Never been his fan but I feel sad nonetheless
Actually forgot with all the impressions and whatnot but I do believe we said we would review the Castlevania Netflix series. Now that everything has calmed down I will see if I can do a write up next week.
I was busy trying to discern whether the story had any point besides "Life is shit"
Again, while I enjoyed punpun, the excessive internal narration, when marathoned, I had to take a break.
Come to think of it, I don't even have a phone that does that, haven't bought a new one since 2004.
Ah, you see I could never force myself to browse/type/use the internet on a phone, too used to using a desktop exclusively for that.
Oh bloody hell. Stupid phone autocorrect. Yeah I meant Punpun.
@Aidan: Read Freesia.
umi no onnanoko is probably the exact thing ninjarealist would be interested in.
*oyasumi punpun
I found it alot more accessible than nijigahara holograph. deded-demon-destruction while enjoyable, is beneath him. Solanin is probably his easiest work.
I assume you man oyasui punpun. Its been about five years since I read in, the final couple of volumes stay in my mind the most, all the stuff with him, the girl and his uncle also, I love Asano Inios art and the surreal elements but I got lost/bored somewhere in the middle and most of the other side characters and the cult thing I didn't really care about.
Finished reading Goodnight Pumping. Really not sure on what to think of it. The story kept me reading but it just felt really empty.
There are 2 Nyaa's now. This one is considered the 'real' one: https://nyaa.si
Looks like anirena is down for me. Although it looks like nyaa went back up as this: https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/
Aidan: Fate/Apocrypha, Made in Abyss, Kakegurui
Mario: Princess Principal, 18if, Youkoso
Lenlo: Touken Ranbu, The Reflection
Wooper: Ballroom, Shoukoku no Altair
Helghast: Re:Creators
Note: I'm deciding to take Classroom of the Elite as my third show to cover. So, for this season we are covering 11 shows.
Just to end, it kind of shows than even if a story is predictable on where it is going. Characters can make up for that, if they're funny, interesting, and perhaps not agreeing all the time and having different agendas and points of view despite all sharing the same boat.
Yet as a game Tales hasn't felt deep since Symphonia, (at least from the ones I've played). I'm wondering if it'll leave me wanting check the anime of Zestiria, since apparently Berseria is a prequel to that game. And many say the anime is better than the game. (I can see why).
I also like the reused Tales beats from Phantasia and Berseria. It those have moments like when Lloyd was exiled and Cless had his village attacked. It has clear antagonists unlike Vesperia, and trying harder than the cartoony villains of Graces.
I've been playing Tales of Berseria, and it seems to be the anti Tales of Graces. In which I'm caring about the story and characters, but the gameplay is a drag. This is the first time I've been autoplaying an JRPG. But unlike Gravity Rush 2, I'm not dropping it because I'm liking the interactions of these characters even if it gets, campy, overdramatic, or edgy.
I mean I watch anime and films subtitled but sometimes my reading speed can be slow if theres a lot of dialogue.
Eh, I do that sometimes, mostly to check for message updates or on occasion to read reviews of what I am watching or to download more/check downloads.
For instance, I watched Okja yesterday and I had to take 15', 20' minute break in between for snack, surfing webs and playing mobile games...
I watched Fanny and Alexander... don't really remember which version I watched thou. I think it's a TV version since it divides into 4 separate parts
@Kaiser: it just that... my attention span has shortened greatly and I just can't stay focus on movies over an hour mark. In cinema, it's alright since you can't move anywhere but now it's abig task to finish a 2 hour and a half movie for me
And is good enough to keep up the quality for that long.
I'll say this, for every medium, to me the length of something isn't so much the issue, if you have a writer good enough to keep something going for ages then the length shouldn't be an issue.
@Mario: If something goes over three hours I treat it as a miniseries and watch one hour or two a day.
@Mario: lol if you thought thats long, have you seen the extended versions of scenes from a marriage and fanny & alexander by Bergman? I can't wait to get my hands on the tv versions I hear they're completely different.
Okja is pretty entertaining with pointed social commentary. I don't really feel Tilda Swinton's double roles add up much but everything else is great. Bong has never disappointed me
@Kaiser: good luck with Satantango then. I guess now if I watch an 8-hour long film it would take me a whole week to finish it :/
Made in abyss and vatican keep staring at me. Although I'm not chancing them yet or anything else until I hear a bit more.
My once massive film backlog is nearly cleared. I can try watching stuff this season hopefully.
Same boat here. For the first time in a long time I spent almost half the day catching up on all of my manga.
@Mario: I'll have two weeks leave, I will finally watch Satantango, all eight hours of that film.
I did a double take when I saw this. One of these things is not like the other.... http://gematsu.com/2017/07/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-announced
Well, finally have a bit of precious free time to watch something else and I have too much things to watch. Castlevania, the final Kizumonogatari movie, live-action Okja and some books planned to read... I guess I'll go with Okja today
Ninja
Looking forward to that Dies review
Yaaay! Time to enjoy your blogging time
And now we are up to date. Just need to finally get that Dies Irae Review posted.
Then again I'll watch almost every horror film I can, don't even mind the awful acting most have.
Pet cemetary was a guilty pleasure of mine when I was a teenager.
I don't know how I'd feel if I rewatched salems lot, although a positive is that it did have James Mason in it and it was done in that 70s style of slow burn horror that I love.
The IT film has aged horribly and thats one case where I would advocate a remake.
Stand by me was a perftly watchable coming of age film and it surprised me, seeing a non-horror King story.
Okay theres one way to settle this =P Lovecraft > all of them ;) I have actually enjoyed some King adaptations even though I know the Shining took liberties , I also enjoyed Carrie and Apt Pupil.
@Kaiser, please. Early King > Richard Matheson > Modern King. Kings early works were good.
@Aidan, its true that Monty was the mind behind the fights. Sad, but I think the other directors are starting to come into their own instead of trying to copy Monty.
But we all know Richard Matheson > King.
He did some collabs with Stephen King I believe.
Like the dead films he's trying to be thematic, although this one is clumsily put together, I kind of like how it hybridizes the 50s with 70s style exploitation, it has its moments.
hmmm the only non Dead trilogy film I've seen by Romero is the Crazies, feels like he's still finding his voice with it.
@Lenlo, Part of the reason is that they started using better animation software. But despite that there was a downgrade in fight chorgraphy when Monty died. Though the story I find is getting better.
@Kinseryu, I think it's ridiculous to everyone but there are those that choose to ignore it.
@Anon, That's a bit harsh. It is true that his later works never truly panned out but he did pretty much popularise the zombie apoc. Even if Day of the Triffids did it before him.
Every season RWBY gets just a little bit prettier. Rooster Teeth really does have some of the better 3D animation skills out there.
goerge romero was a hack trying desperate to stay relevant.
Kinseryu
Tenshi3P... I thought it was just me that this show was just ridiculous by putting three ten years old girl that knows how to play electrical instruments. They are insulting the people who plays these. But good thing I found this site with your first impression. I laughed and I feel better. Lol.
@Kaiser: he passed away? damn. He was the Father of Zombie genre. So like him or hate him, he was influential to say the least. RIP.
Kaiser_Eoghan
...holy shit George A Romero died? Now I have to watch the rest of his films.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Rei Hiroe is really dicking around with black lagoon lately, he's still releasing wasted chapters, just like re:creators, the most recent chapter of black lagoon was a slog.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Maybe the conversation and lives of others could sort of count as espionage stories to an extent.
Kaiser_Eoghan
If you're interested in spy fiction, Spy who came in from the cold, most wanted man, Smiley's people, deadly affair and tinker tailor soldier spy are your best bet.
@Travlos (regarding yoir earlier comment): yeah, it hit me as well that most of regular readers have been here even longer than myself. So thanks for sticking around mates
@Travlos: playing catch up with both Re:Creators and Virgin Soul yesterday. Agreed that last week's Re:Creators was weak because it focused on the Creators (they're not good) but last episode was on par again. Virgin Soul, I loved that episode that the girls go bacl to Nina's hometown
@anon1272074: I still haven't had the time to watch Pripri yet (probably in few more hours), but you bet I'm looking forward to it
Anonymous1272074
Then again, James Bond does count as a spy. I meant not a realistic one.
Anonymous1272074
Princess Principal 2 was pretty good. Still more James Bond via little girls than spies, but this episode was more about intrigue and stuff than action.
Started catching up with Kakegurui. The OP is the sort of mind games I remember from Mob Psycho. Dunno what that means for the show, but I like it.
Quite happy with this week's RE:Creators. Blitz is cool, Aliceteria looked so scary. It washed out the taste of last week's episode.

Bahamut is going interesting places.
BTW. Speaking of spies from Princess Principal. I watch TURN. That is a good spy show.
I mean you see the use of those heavy revolvers as clubs in westerns. Mythbusters did a experiment, and being hit by one could kill you just fine. But in anime, I do not remember seeing it often
Homura used Gun-kata in the fight against Mami in Rebellion. Can't think of anyone who exclusively uses it though. After all Gun-Kata is more or less a flashy art that has no real benefit.
amazing!
Is Gun Kata the fighting style of Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue? I suppose I'm mainly thinking about how guns are handled in fighting games. Where the shots are mainly concussive. I suppose those are mainly energy blasts.
Ranbu took a step in the right direction I feel. Used the morals of whether or not to change history and it focused in on one of its characters.
Final Fantasy has had some gun swords. Cant think of any with guns in melee though. There are some with gun-kata like cowboy bebop though
Just for curiosity, have anyone watched an anime, movie or game that uses a gun as a melee weapon. Or one in which the gun is mainly concussive but still has impact?
Spike
18if ep2 was a bit wacky... main character seems to be off his rocker.
Alright. Time to finally play catch up with those series I need to blog.
But at the same time acknowledging love for creativity is more important in the end than making a profit.
I think I was using death of artist/deceased artist as a term to suggest peoples careers in the area are too often killed before they get a chance.
Moreso also to save the guy the embarrassment of misinterpreting it so awkwardly.
@Puran: Nothing too extreme , moreso that the piece itself feels inappropriate/tainted to have up/leave around/submit. Ended up taking it down out of taste.
Puran
Did that change how you feel about your writing? I had a somewhat similar experience, where something I was writing was similar to a real situation some I knew was going through. After I found out I stopped writing it. Not sure why.
I wasn't all that close to either of them much but yeah, weird coincidence.
He thought I already knew the guy was dead.
*earlier
Its all okay now...but fuck that was was awkward.
....Oh jesus christ...oh christ this is a creepy creepy coincidence...I showed an acquaintance a bit of writing I did early, it mentions death of an artist, thing is I was writing something based on a conversation with my editor friend, turns out said acquaintance's artist friend died (who he knows that I've spoken to in the past) and he thought the piece I showed him was about the dead guy.
I believe I began visiting this site in 2008.
As for humanity has declined, I found it bizzare and darkly funny for a while but felt it ran dry in its second half and I kind of fell out of following it.
You know it hit me. I think I have been following this blog for a decade now, perhaps more. Cool that it is still around.

Made in Abyss – 03[Departure]

This episode looks to be setting up the big adventure to guide us through the rest of the season but I really cannot comment enough on how much of a terrible idea it is. Riko is pure rookie when it comes to abyss diving and here she is deciding to take on the challenge of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 04[Price of life, Redemption of Death]

There are many things that can lead to one anime downfall but even with certain weaknesses in area a anime can shine through. Berserk 1997 showed that a strong story can make up for a powerpoint level of animation. Tatami Galaxy showed that even with lacking art a compelling story can be told.(I am sorry […]

Princess Principal – 03 [Case 2 Vice Voice]

We have another fun action-spy time this week. While this week isn’t as great as the week before, the decision to group the girls in different pairings make this one entertaining to watch. This means Ange is pairing up with Beatrice, and the Princess with Dorothy (just to make it more consistent I will address […]

18if – 03 [The Witch of First Love]

At this point, I wholly expect 18if to bring different approach, have different style on its same themes each passing week. This week, they indeed pulled a very different episode from its first two. It was a fascinating episode. I said “fascinating” because if I’m gonna mark this week as a standalone episode (or as […]

The Reflection -1 [Ceremony]

Its a bit late in the season, but The Reflection is just getting started. Sadly, it feels like more time in the oven was yet needed. Thought up by Stan Lee and directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, lets dive right in. Because of the substantial difference in quality between them, I am going to break this […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 4 [What I Wanted to Protect]

This is a good week for Ranbu, as it starts to hit its stride. A new mission begins, some quiet character moments occur and finally a whole new cast member is introduced! We open in a rather unexpected manner, our party fleeing from a group of police. I was expecting a relaxing, beach like episode, […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 03 [Dance the Waltz]

Well, there’s no going back now. Ballroom just went full sports anime, and it cut the brake lines for good measure. After the relative nuance of last week’s character introduction, the newest episode treated us to more fanservice, more contrivance, and more shounen formula than the last two combined. Sports series have really stepped up […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 03 [The Council of Generals]

With this episode, Altair’s first arc comes to a close. Mahmut Pasha, teenage prodigy and commander of eagles, is now simply Tughril Mahmut, a disgraced former general set to leave Turkiye on a journey of discovery. Though its main character didn’t fare so well this week, I thought the show wrapped everything up nicely in […]

Classroom of the Elite – 02 [It Takes a Great Deal and Skill to Conceal One’s Talent and Skill.]

Something about Youkoso, after the end of both first two episodes, that left me there hanging. Something that I feel “off”, but I can’t quite put my fingers on. I guess a big part of it was caused by the pacing, which it takes way too long to get into the intrigued part. I mean, […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100