Posted by psgels on 18 May 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Kimi to Boku – 19: Are Japanese girls really so weak that they faint if you so little as even bump on them? I know she was tired and all, but these girls have health issues… Anyway, I digress. An amazing episode with the love triangle finally moving somewhere. Chizuru in particular changed significantly. He’s the type of character who often gets done wrong, with some horrible results. With this though, he really redeemed himself. – *** (Awesome)

#2: The Legend of Korra – 06: This series has also just surpassed itself this week. Really good action scenes, and the creators just keep building further upon Korra’s naivety. I really like how this series is set to subvert a number of often-used fantasy cliches. – **+ (Excellent+)

#3: AKB0048 – 03: I do not have time right now so I’m going to delay deciding whether or not to blog this, and how on earth I’m going to fit this into my schedule, for one more week. But seriously, what the hell did I watch here? Yet again enough proof that the creators know what they’re doing here: this show glorifies idols, but this episode also showed the uglier side of this bizarre premise. Especially Mari Okada was on fire on this episode: this was full of emotion, yet not as extreme as with Black Rock Shooter. – **+ (Excellent+)

#4: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 19: Oh my god, this was one of the best episodes yet. The sketch where Poyopoyo gets caught in quick drying cement was priceless. I was wondering why there were less jokes than usual, but the build-up was totally worth it. – **+ (Excellent+)

#5: Natsuiro Kiseki – 07: I hate the idol business in Japan. So why are the idol themed series so damn good? A thoughtful episode that highlighted the layers of the different characters and how they feel about the rock. – ** (Excellent)

#6: Nazo no Kanojo X – 06: That’s some impressive romantic tension you’ve got there, Nazo na Kanojo X. Nice aversion of the love triangle, and a very good potrayal of Tsubaki’s insecureties that make him less bland as a character. – ** (Excellent)

#7: Shirokuma Cafe – 07: Polar Bear is without a doubt my favorite character of this sereis. His deadpan humour in this episode especially was just hysterical. And that while the premises of each episode remain absolutely corny. – ** (Excellent)

#8: Hunter X Hunter – 31: “Let me drag out this fight by holding long monologues in order to explain you exactly how my powers work, giving you plenty of hints on how to stop me!” – This is exactly why I dislike the shounen genre dammit! The pacing keeps slowing down here! – * (Good)

#9: Jormungand – 06: I’m still missing something with this series. I mean, the backdrop of Africa is good, it’s nice to see the characters getting fleshed out and slowly reveal their pasts and the diplomacy is also nice, but I don’t know. The charcters still feel too one-sided and stereotypical. – * (Good)

#10: Medaka Box – 07: This was Medaka Box’s worst episode so far. Dull and forced fanservice, bland premise about art and a forced way to flesh out that new council member. Also I hate how creators can’t think of any light-hearted way to open a scene, so just go for the “walking into changing”-scene. Why has this turned into a default scene to use? – (Disappointing)

#11: Sankarea – 07: Seriously? An entire episode dedicated to that cousin? With no scene of Rea whatsoever? And it only reaffirms her character as “I like the main character”, with nothing beyond that? Come on, Sankarea, weren’t you supposed to be this romance with creative twists? – (Disappointing)

#12: Saint Seiya Omega – 07: I’m dropping this series. It has consistently ranked last amongst these rankings, and it got me thinking: what did it really offer in the past seven episodes? Nothing stood out, it was just a bunch of random hot blooded fights without much soul to them. There are too many other gret series this season for this. – (Disappointing)

1. Cholisose says:

LOL, that was no bump. That soccer ball pile-drived poor Mary. XD
    At any rate, that was a great Kimi to Boku episode. Great plot development for Chizuru, and the look on Shun-chan’s face in your picture there was really hilarious.

2. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think that this development of Chizuru would not have worked so well as it did if he had not been so initially annoying. Good characterization/growth in this episode and this season continue to be more consistently enjoyable and better than the first one.

3. kero says:

Yay! So glad that Kimi to Boku has come out in the #01 spot!

This was a great episode with plot and character development!

I’m so glad they didn’t drag out Chizuru’s one-sided love, and he manage to confess with a smile!

Shun-chan also got developed as well. He’s always a nice guy, and I wondered how he’d react to being confessed to, but to see him tell the girl so directly that he couldn’t return her feelings, that was so great. He’s not so weak as he seems.

And I love that moment when Mary asks Yuta about Shun. I feel like the plots overall favour Yuki over Yuta, but he is still a solid character, and he really gives off this reliable onii-chan feel, despite taking part in most the mayhem as well.

I think I’d say Kimi to Boku has gotten better in the second season.. I remember how slow the start was, and how some parts were boring.

They seem to have cut down on the random cats. I hope it stays that way.

4. dirtycolossus says:

so what are you going to replace saint seiya with, if anything at all? Hmm.

5. Jack says:

Hate to admit that, but Omega really is that terrible – in its best moments, like this episode, it can reach “mediocre”, but that’s it. I’ll probably keep watching it out of masochism and nostalgia, though.

6. kevin says:

psgels your a dumbass for reals

• lily says:

and what does that makes you?

• foxxie says:

kevin

• foxxie says:

kevin’s comment may be rude but I kind of get where he’s coming from, psgels remark was kind of dumb, to put it simple, kastro’s explanation about his technique was only for us, viewers, to know what is going on, like hisoka said, he has already figured it out, so the explaining didn’t mattered to the fight nor gave more hints to hisoka, like I said it was only for us to not get lost, besides he’s accusing hunter x hunter for something that is totally not, the characters of HXH doesn’t give unnecessary explanations of their abilities because it’s pretty logic not wanting your opponent know about what you can do, this is one of the points the fans like about HXH, its logic way of thinking, but psgels said it was just for dragging out the battle like other shonen does… it was not, this fight is important because it shows a lot about nen battles, that’s why it takes its time

btw sorry if this is confusing english is not my first language

• lily says:

You guys don’t really understand do you? he is not reading the manga. so what he sees or says is totally based on that. And stop trying to justify HxH. HxH is a shounen genre manga. So what other genre can it be for a anime? Shounen duh. And what shounen genre tend to do? Giving long monologues and giving plenty of hints to defeat the villian during battle. So that’s you fans like about HxH? Listening through long monologues? Anime is different from manga. In manga they have to do that way because its all pictures and words. In anime, there other ways to show it. I don’t get why you HxH so uptight about what psgel says considering his views and comments is BASED on the anime. Not the manga.

“kastro’s explanation about his technique was only for us, viewers, to know what is going on, like hisoka said, he has already figured it out, so the explaining didn’t mattered to the fight nor gave more hints to hisoka”

So apparently, the audience need someone to explain everything for them to understand. That’s manga way of thinking folks! You don’t need to vocal every single thing.

@Kevin
            Why don’t you go somewhere and open a blog or whatever. I don’t get why you have to stick around here and wasting your time. I for one. Despise you.

• foxxie says:

@lily, like I said, hisoka did say he had already figured out kastro’s ability, he even explained how he did it, IT IS in the anime, if you were paying attention you’d notice, the only new thing kastro tell hisoka is the name, nothing else, these explanations show up pretty often, psgels might have noticed since he watched the 99 version, togashi loves explaining abilities or how a situation is handled, it’s a characteristic of HXH that you just can’t take away, you could say it’s dragging it out but without them it wouldn’t feel like HXH, besides this showed us how nen battles work and the fight was complex enough to have someone explaining it, if we have just saw them fighting we wouldn’t have understand what was going on and it would have lost all its meaning, this is the way fights are like in HXH, maybe it’s just a matter of taste but like I said, psgels already watched HXH, he should be familiar with it

I know HXH is a shonen, of course it is, but being a shonen doesn’t mean it can’t have aspects that set it apart from other anime/manga of the same genre, I’m just complaining because you will never see a character giving any hints to his opponent on how to defeat him/her, at least he/she is stupid

I usually read psgles blog, and when it comes to HXH I tend to disagree with him, but I understand that he likes the way the 99 version handles the story a lot more, and that’s ok, there are a lot of people like that, but accusing HXH of something that is not is what bugs me

7. Juno says:

I don’t blame you for dropping Saint Seiya Omega. It isn’t as powerful as the previous/original series and really, even the original series’ greatness can’t be judged by today’s standards either. You take your stories more seriously than the genre itself does, so Omega is probably just not right for you.

On that note, I’m going to keep watching. It’s perfect for me. =P

8. slikvik says:

legend of korra was too epic this past week. still crossing my fingers that you eventually give it it’s own slot in your blogs

9. ojamajo_limepie says:

Maybe you could pick Smile Precure back up since you’re dropping Saint Seiya Omega? It’s really hitting its stride now.

• dirtycolossus says:

I second this. For me, Smile Precure’s been for the most part consistently excellent.

• Kiseki says:

…Anything excellent with the overarching plot?

• dirtycolossus says:

Dangit, all this time I’ve been trying to avoid the whole anime debate scene. Well, I am not going to be caught in it now, I ain’t no expert anime/literature analyst. You’re right Mr. / Ms. Kiseki, psgels ought to avoid the show, bye. (Unless I’ve read you wrong and you are asking a genuine question rather than being sarcastic, though those dots make me feel otherwise)

Joking aside, no, there’s really no plot development other than a clock slowly reaching whatever time it was, but that’s usually to be expected from a weekly monster type show. Despite this, almost every episode imo is a joy to watch… well, when compared to certain other shows. If you want great plot build up, I would have to advise you to avoid this show, though I do feel they’ve been engaging in decent character development. (maybe there is some subtle plot build up and I haven’t caught it, but I doubt it)

• dirtycolossus says:

I will say this though, psgels was right when he said that Smile Precure in a blog of this maturity loses out in the face of the competition of this season. It’s just a kids show, anyway. I guess I kind of use it to unwind after watching those tense adult shows.

Plus, it inspired me to cook eggs for my mom… i’m such a terrible child.

• Juno says:

I don’t think the series is bad so much as it just doesn’t work for psgel’s blog. There are some episodic series that can hit psgel’s soft spots, but unless there is a good streak of consistent development in plot and characters, I don’t think psgels could accurately review it once a week.

• Kiseki says:

Somewhat serious I suppose. I haven’t watched an episode past four, but from what I’ve seen, Smile has been the weakest Precure series in this regard. It just looks like it’s a weekly gag series. The whole “Happily Ever After” theme just doesn’t work either. (And I’m a little angry at their usage of butterfly wings when they already have the motif of the white feathered variety.)

I don’t question the quality of the content in each individual episode, but I do wish the plot would move more steadily?

(And for God’s sake give Miyuki a love interest because the popularity of the Wolfurun/Happy pairing is scaring the shit out of me.)

10. Aura says:

Medaka Box will HOPEFULLY… sucessfully enter the road-of-awesome with the next episode. But GAINAX is unpredictable..

11. rufe says:

I don’t really think Chizuru has changed all that much. I’ve always assumed his extreme friendliness was just a facade to his character. Consider he’s come from “the west” and is supposed to have a normal social life in this country he hasn’t lived in for years.

The love triangle is super cute. I’ve enjoyed watching Chizuru suppress his feelings for Merry’s sake and now watching it finally spill out in such an anti-climactic way. Great! I also like the images with the girl in the summer, but I’m not sure I entirely understand it…

12. meow says:

Seriously? An entire episode dedicated to that cousin?

I’m not sure what your problem is with this character but if she irritates you that much, you should drop this show. Unfortunately for you, she’s a major supporting character whom I suspect (and hope) is going to be right there til the very end, unless they somehow find a way to bring Rea back to life for real.

I personally like her myself. She’s cute, energetic and kind and I love the development in this episode. It looks like Chihiro has been pretty weird for zombies since he was a kid but has some very good points which Ranko was able to discover from an early age. I can see why she hangs out with him and I think it’s lucky for Chihiro that she has. I seriously wonder what kind of person he might have grown into without her. (I suppose a male version of that Ring girl from Sket Dance, maybe.) She’s almost too good for Chihiro.

And there’s more to this episode than Ranko. The flashback shows the grandpa looking exactly like he does now. I wonder if he’s a zombie too? I seem to remember he sometimes eats those leaves too. And there’s something weird about Ranko’s dad. He looks like a living zombie himself, unresponsive to things happening around him. I picture Chihiro growing up into something like him if Ranko wasn’t around to rub some life into him since they were kids. I wonder if he’s traumatized by some past event – maybe something to do with the potion. Who is Sado?

Just my 2 cents.

• Scruffy says:

Agree with meow here. A feature of this show will be the love triangle so if you don’t like it it’s best to drop it now. Initially I thought that it was going to spoil the show but I like the way this director is doing it. Personally I thought this was one of the best episodes of the show. It provided a lot of background for both Ranko and Chihiro, and it was also all anime original as far as I can recall.

• Anca says:

I didn’t like the episode either, though I guess I’m fine with how the director handled it – isn’t this one of those annoying cases where a fantastic adaptation is weighed down by horrible choices the original author made in the source material?

• wicked says:

Seeing how the entire series is name after Sanka Rea, I frankly dont see the harm of an episode spent on her foil. If the show is going to where I think it’s going, this particular episode strengthen a pivotal moment later in the series.

I disagree that it only reaffirmed her as the character that likes the main character, while it certainly does that, it more so establish her as someone that repress her true feelings and puts up a facade. She doesnt like zombies, she’s a romantic girly girl at heart, she’s not the type that can take care of others, rather the type that needs to be taken care of. It’s everything that’s the opposite of whom she claims to be now.

13. HK-47 says:

How come every major faction in Jormungand seems to have a crazy-powerful-psycho-bitch?

Well, it’s still fun to watch though.

14. Nori says:

When are your four screencaps going to fill in the width of this column (like your single images)?

• psgels psgels says:

As soon as I find an easy way to do it. I currently use paint to take screenshots, and while that’s fast, it’s also rather restrictive in terms of size. The reason I’m not using fancy image editing programs is that the take forever to start up.

• Anca says:

psgels: install IrfanView. It’s not an image editing program but a very simple and easy to use image viewing program that allows basic editing (resizing, adjusting the tone, joining two images, copy and pasting). It’s faster than Paint, and the best thing: it’s free.

15. Amy says:

Love Chizuru, the confession was really unexpected for me! I loved this episode so much <3. I never found him annoying because every now and again you'd hear his inner monologue where he isn't happy-go-lucky which made me a Chizuru fan from Kimi to Boku season 1 aha.

16. Spider says:

When Lagrange and others animes showed a little fanservice it was called forced, etc. But the fanservice in Kanojo is too stupid, c’mon! And that saliva thing is disgusting.

• Scruffy says:

If you don’t like the idea of swapping saliva then I guess you’ve never kissed anyone :) Anyway that brings up an interesting point … what would happen if the main couple in Mysterious Girlfriend X kissed? Instant feedback loop of emotion??? Could be very messy.

• DmonHiro says:

The saliva bit doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s pretty much a running joke at this point. Also, it’s just saliva. Grow up. You swap saliva when you do a deep kiss anyway, what’s the big deal? Sure, it’s a little kinky, but as anime goes, the fanservice in this show has been quite tasteful (no pun intended) and reserved.

• wicked says:

realize that you’re essentially dismissing the entire concept of the whole series, you might as well not watch it if it bothers you. Unlike Lagrange, where there are fate of the worlds, politics and character history, all sort of drama to explore, Nazo no Kanojo only has one drama to focus on, the relationship exploration between the 2 teenagers. you cannot compare the point of doing fan service between the the 2 series, because frankly, Lagrange had other things that deserved more attention

17. garfield15 says:

Psgels, I really think you should give SS Omega one last try (trust me, I know where you’re coming from as I’ve been bored too), but the latest episode was more than just hot-blooded fights. Give it a shot

18. dominus says:

Yea they decided it was time for evil to rise things will now be at a different level that secure environment(the academy) is gone forever. Time for blood to flow.

19. Nemo says:

Happy to see Kimi to Boku at the top! :) It was an amazing episode by far, one of my favorites of the spring season

Customize
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.
Friend
Most of the time they meant no harm, I think it's always about getting recognition. They quickly take them down after I send them a polite email, and I let them save their ego without smearing them on their page.
afgm
(ok maybe a little fault should go to them lol)
afgm
@Friend: That sucks, but its definitely understandable. People can be pretty thoughtless at times (no fault to them of course).
afgm
tiger mask did make it into the upper quartile though, which is surprising
Friend
@afgm I don't have a large internet presence with my work exactly because I've had situations with theft on Pinterest. For work, I just carry USBs with my portfolio pieces in them :/
Friend
@Aramus Heya, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the fell image won't be available openly unless for commercial purposes, but otherwise feel free to contact me in my business email! :)
afgm
ah you know what? I read the title Time Bokan 24 and thought it had 24 votes x)
@afgm: Time Bokan receives 0 vote the last time I checked it. I'm more surprised that people love Haikyuu that much
Such a shame because I enjoy writing it a lot
2 more episodes on Thunderbolt Fantasy and I might break the sites' record (hall of shame really) for covering a show without any comment, haha.

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 91/100

re-zero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-25-3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 25

Well it’s over and what a ride it was. Betelgeuse is defeated, everyone is saved and Subaru gets to confess his love to Emilia to leave the series off on a hopeful note. Only thing that would have made it better is more Rem but let us be frank, there is never enough Rem. I […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 11

This week things escalated pretty quickly. Our helpless MC Shang Bu Huan shots himself in the foot pretty quickly. I already suspected it’s a matter of time before his scam will be exploited by Mie Tian Hai, but I surely never would have guessed it’s that early. Shang Bu Huan, hilariously, is just plain terrible […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373