Posted by psgels on 18 May 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Kimi to Boku – 19: Are Japanese girls really so weak that they faint if you so little as even bump on them? I know she was tired and all, but these girls have health issues… Anyway, I digress. An amazing episode with the love triangle finally moving somewhere. Chizuru in particular changed significantly. He’s the type of character who often gets done wrong, with some horrible results. With this though, he really redeemed himself. – *** (Awesome)

#2: The Legend of Korra – 06: This series has also just surpassed itself this week. Really good action scenes, and the creators just keep building further upon Korra’s naivety. I really like how this series is set to subvert a number of often-used fantasy cliches. – **+ (Excellent+)

#3: AKB0048 – 03: I do not have time right now so I’m going to delay deciding whether or not to blog this, and how on earth I’m going to fit this into my schedule, for one more week. But seriously, what the hell did I watch here? Yet again enough proof that the creators know what they’re doing here: this show glorifies idols, but this episode also showed the uglier side of this bizarre premise. Especially Mari Okada was on fire on this episode: this was full of emotion, yet not as extreme as with Black Rock Shooter. – **+ (Excellent+)

#4: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 19: Oh my god, this was one of the best episodes yet. The sketch where Poyopoyo gets caught in quick drying cement was priceless. I was wondering why there were less jokes than usual, but the build-up was totally worth it. – **+ (Excellent+)

#5: Natsuiro Kiseki – 07: I hate the idol business in Japan. So why are the idol themed series so damn good? A thoughtful episode that highlighted the layers of the different characters and how they feel about the rock. – ** (Excellent)

#6: Nazo no Kanojo X – 06: That’s some impressive romantic tension you’ve got there, Nazo na Kanojo X. Nice aversion of the love triangle, and a very good potrayal of Tsubaki’s insecureties that make him less bland as a character. – ** (Excellent)

#7: Shirokuma Cafe – 07: Polar Bear is without a doubt my favorite character of this sereis. His deadpan humour in this episode especially was just hysterical. And that while the premises of each episode remain absolutely corny. – ** (Excellent)

#8: Hunter X Hunter – 31: “Let me drag out this fight by holding long monologues in order to explain you exactly how my powers work, giving you plenty of hints on how to stop me!” – This is exactly why I dislike the shounen genre dammit! The pacing keeps slowing down here! – * (Good)

#9: Jormungand – 06: I’m still missing something with this series. I mean, the backdrop of Africa is good, it’s nice to see the characters getting fleshed out and slowly reveal their pasts and the diplomacy is also nice, but I don’t know. The charcters still feel too one-sided and stereotypical. – * (Good)

#10: Medaka Box – 07: This was Medaka Box’s worst episode so far. Dull and forced fanservice, bland premise about art and a forced way to flesh out that new council member. Also I hate how creators can’t think of any light-hearted way to open a scene, so just go for the “walking into changing”-scene. Why has this turned into a default scene to use? – (Disappointing)

#11: Sankarea – 07: Seriously? An entire episode dedicated to that cousin? With no scene of Rea whatsoever? And it only reaffirms her character as “I like the main character”, with nothing beyond that? Come on, Sankarea, weren’t you supposed to be this romance with creative twists? – (Disappointing)

#12: Saint Seiya Omega – 07: I’m dropping this series. It has consistently ranked last amongst these rankings, and it got me thinking: what did it really offer in the past seven episodes? Nothing stood out, it was just a bunch of random hot blooded fights without much soul to them. There are too many other gret series this season for this. – (Disappointing)

1. Cholisose says:

LOL, that was no bump. That soccer ball pile-drived poor Mary. XD
    At any rate, that was a great Kimi to Boku episode. Great plot development for Chizuru, and the look on Shun-chan’s face in your picture there was really hilarious.

2. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think that this development of Chizuru would not have worked so well as it did if he had not been so initially annoying. Good characterization/growth in this episode and this season continue to be more consistently enjoyable and better than the first one.

3. kero says:

Yay! So glad that Kimi to Boku has come out in the #01 spot!

This was a great episode with plot and character development!

I’m so glad they didn’t drag out Chizuru’s one-sided love, and he manage to confess with a smile!

Shun-chan also got developed as well. He’s always a nice guy, and I wondered how he’d react to being confessed to, but to see him tell the girl so directly that he couldn’t return her feelings, that was so great. He’s not so weak as he seems.

And I love that moment when Mary asks Yuta about Shun. I feel like the plots overall favour Yuki over Yuta, but he is still a solid character, and he really gives off this reliable onii-chan feel, despite taking part in most the mayhem as well.

I think I’d say Kimi to Boku has gotten better in the second season.. I remember how slow the start was, and how some parts were boring.

They seem to have cut down on the random cats. I hope it stays that way.

4. dirtycolossus says:

so what are you going to replace saint seiya with, if anything at all? Hmm.

5. Jack says:

Hate to admit that, but Omega really is that terrible – in its best moments, like this episode, it can reach “mediocre”, but that’s it. I’ll probably keep watching it out of masochism and nostalgia, though.

6. kevin says:

psgels your a dumbass for reals

• lily says:

and what does that makes you?

• foxxie says:

kevin

• foxxie says:

kevin’s comment may be rude but I kind of get where he’s coming from, psgels remark was kind of dumb, to put it simple, kastro’s explanation about his technique was only for us, viewers, to know what is going on, like hisoka said, he has already figured it out, so the explaining didn’t mattered to the fight nor gave more hints to hisoka, like I said it was only for us to not get lost, besides he’s accusing hunter x hunter for something that is totally not, the characters of HXH doesn’t give unnecessary explanations of their abilities because it’s pretty logic not wanting your opponent know about what you can do, this is one of the points the fans like about HXH, its logic way of thinking, but psgels said it was just for dragging out the battle like other shonen does… it was not, this fight is important because it shows a lot about nen battles, that’s why it takes its time

btw sorry if this is confusing english is not my first language

• lily says:

You guys don’t really understand do you? he is not reading the manga. so what he sees or says is totally based on that. And stop trying to justify HxH. HxH is a shounen genre manga. So what other genre can it be for a anime? Shounen duh. And what shounen genre tend to do? Giving long monologues and giving plenty of hints to defeat the villian during battle. So that’s you fans like about HxH? Listening through long monologues? Anime is different from manga. In manga they have to do that way because its all pictures and words. In anime, there other ways to show it. I don’t get why you HxH so uptight about what psgel says considering his views and comments is BASED on the anime. Not the manga.

“kastro’s explanation about his technique was only for us, viewers, to know what is going on, like hisoka said, he has already figured it out, so the explaining didn’t mattered to the fight nor gave more hints to hisoka”

So apparently, the audience need someone to explain everything for them to understand. That’s manga way of thinking folks! You don’t need to vocal every single thing.

@Kevin
            Why don’t you go somewhere and open a blog or whatever. I don’t get why you have to stick around here and wasting your time. I for one. Despise you.

• foxxie says:

@lily, like I said, hisoka did say he had already figured out kastro’s ability, he even explained how he did it, IT IS in the anime, if you were paying attention you’d notice, the only new thing kastro tell hisoka is the name, nothing else, these explanations show up pretty often, psgels might have noticed since he watched the 99 version, togashi loves explaining abilities or how a situation is handled, it’s a characteristic of HXH that you just can’t take away, you could say it’s dragging it out but without them it wouldn’t feel like HXH, besides this showed us how nen battles work and the fight was complex enough to have someone explaining it, if we have just saw them fighting we wouldn’t have understand what was going on and it would have lost all its meaning, this is the way fights are like in HXH, maybe it’s just a matter of taste but like I said, psgels already watched HXH, he should be familiar with it

I know HXH is a shonen, of course it is, but being a shonen doesn’t mean it can’t have aspects that set it apart from other anime/manga of the same genre, I’m just complaining because you will never see a character giving any hints to his opponent on how to defeat him/her, at least he/she is stupid

I usually read psgles blog, and when it comes to HXH I tend to disagree with him, but I understand that he likes the way the 99 version handles the story a lot more, and that’s ok, there are a lot of people like that, but accusing HXH of something that is not is what bugs me

7. Juno says:

I don’t blame you for dropping Saint Seiya Omega. It isn’t as powerful as the previous/original series and really, even the original series’ greatness can’t be judged by today’s standards either. You take your stories more seriously than the genre itself does, so Omega is probably just not right for you.

On that note, I’m going to keep watching. It’s perfect for me. =P

8. slikvik says:

legend of korra was too epic this past week. still crossing my fingers that you eventually give it it’s own slot in your blogs

9. ojamajo_limepie says:

Maybe you could pick Smile Precure back up since you’re dropping Saint Seiya Omega? It’s really hitting its stride now.

• dirtycolossus says:

I second this. For me, Smile Precure’s been for the most part consistently excellent.

• Kiseki says:

…Anything excellent with the overarching plot?

• dirtycolossus says:

Dangit, all this time I’ve been trying to avoid the whole anime debate scene. Well, I am not going to be caught in it now, I ain’t no expert anime/literature analyst. You’re right Mr. / Ms. Kiseki, psgels ought to avoid the show, bye. (Unless I’ve read you wrong and you are asking a genuine question rather than being sarcastic, though those dots make me feel otherwise)

Joking aside, no, there’s really no plot development other than a clock slowly reaching whatever time it was, but that’s usually to be expected from a weekly monster type show. Despite this, almost every episode imo is a joy to watch… well, when compared to certain other shows. If you want great plot build up, I would have to advise you to avoid this show, though I do feel they’ve been engaging in decent character development. (maybe there is some subtle plot build up and I haven’t caught it, but I doubt it)

• dirtycolossus says:

I will say this though, psgels was right when he said that Smile Precure in a blog of this maturity loses out in the face of the competition of this season. It’s just a kids show, anyway. I guess I kind of use it to unwind after watching those tense adult shows.

Plus, it inspired me to cook eggs for my mom… i’m such a terrible child.

• Juno says:

I don’t think the series is bad so much as it just doesn’t work for psgel’s blog. There are some episodic series that can hit psgel’s soft spots, but unless there is a good streak of consistent development in plot and characters, I don’t think psgels could accurately review it once a week.

• Kiseki says:

Somewhat serious I suppose. I haven’t watched an episode past four, but from what I’ve seen, Smile has been the weakest Precure series in this regard. It just looks like it’s a weekly gag series. The whole “Happily Ever After” theme just doesn’t work either. (And I’m a little angry at their usage of butterfly wings when they already have the motif of the white feathered variety.)

I don’t question the quality of the content in each individual episode, but I do wish the plot would move more steadily?

(And for God’s sake give Miyuki a love interest because the popularity of the Wolfurun/Happy pairing is scaring the shit out of me.)

10. Aura says:

Medaka Box will HOPEFULLY… sucessfully enter the road-of-awesome with the next episode. But GAINAX is unpredictable..

11. rufe says:

I don’t really think Chizuru has changed all that much. I’ve always assumed his extreme friendliness was just a facade to his character. Consider he’s come from “the west” and is supposed to have a normal social life in this country he hasn’t lived in for years.

The love triangle is super cute. I’ve enjoyed watching Chizuru suppress his feelings for Merry’s sake and now watching it finally spill out in such an anti-climactic way. Great! I also like the images with the girl in the summer, but I’m not sure I entirely understand it…

12. meow says:

Seriously? An entire episode dedicated to that cousin?

I’m not sure what your problem is with this character but if she irritates you that much, you should drop this show. Unfortunately for you, she’s a major supporting character whom I suspect (and hope) is going to be right there til the very end, unless they somehow find a way to bring Rea back to life for real.

I personally like her myself. She’s cute, energetic and kind and I love the development in this episode. It looks like Chihiro has been pretty weird for zombies since he was a kid but has some very good points which Ranko was able to discover from an early age. I can see why she hangs out with him and I think it’s lucky for Chihiro that she has. I seriously wonder what kind of person he might have grown into without her. (I suppose a male version of that Ring girl from Sket Dance, maybe.) She’s almost too good for Chihiro.

And there’s more to this episode than Ranko. The flashback shows the grandpa looking exactly like he does now. I wonder if he’s a zombie too? I seem to remember he sometimes eats those leaves too. And there’s something weird about Ranko’s dad. He looks like a living zombie himself, unresponsive to things happening around him. I picture Chihiro growing up into something like him if Ranko wasn’t around to rub some life into him since they were kids. I wonder if he’s traumatized by some past event – maybe something to do with the potion. Who is Sado?

Just my 2 cents.

• Scruffy says:

Agree with meow here. A feature of this show will be the love triangle so if you don’t like it it’s best to drop it now. Initially I thought that it was going to spoil the show but I like the way this director is doing it. Personally I thought this was one of the best episodes of the show. It provided a lot of background for both Ranko and Chihiro, and it was also all anime original as far as I can recall.

• Anca says:

I didn’t like the episode either, though I guess I’m fine with how the director handled it – isn’t this one of those annoying cases where a fantastic adaptation is weighed down by horrible choices the original author made in the source material?

• wicked says:

Seeing how the entire series is name after Sanka Rea, I frankly dont see the harm of an episode spent on her foil. If the show is going to where I think it’s going, this particular episode strengthen a pivotal moment later in the series.

I disagree that it only reaffirmed her as the character that likes the main character, while it certainly does that, it more so establish her as someone that repress her true feelings and puts up a facade. She doesnt like zombies, she’s a romantic girly girl at heart, she’s not the type that can take care of others, rather the type that needs to be taken care of. It’s everything that’s the opposite of whom she claims to be now.

13. HK-47 says:

How come every major faction in Jormungand seems to have a crazy-powerful-psycho-bitch?

Well, it’s still fun to watch though.

14. Nori says:

When are your four screencaps going to fill in the width of this column (like your single images)?

• psgels psgels says:

As soon as I find an easy way to do it. I currently use paint to take screenshots, and while that’s fast, it’s also rather restrictive in terms of size. The reason I’m not using fancy image editing programs is that the take forever to start up.

• Anca says:

psgels: install IrfanView. It’s not an image editing program but a very simple and easy to use image viewing program that allows basic editing (resizing, adjusting the tone, joining two images, copy and pasting). It’s faster than Paint, and the best thing: it’s free.

15. Amy says:

Love Chizuru, the confession was really unexpected for me! I loved this episode so much <3. I never found him annoying because every now and again you'd hear his inner monologue where he isn't happy-go-lucky which made me a Chizuru fan from Kimi to Boku season 1 aha.

16. Spider says:

When Lagrange and others animes showed a little fanservice it was called forced, etc. But the fanservice in Kanojo is too stupid, c’mon! And that saliva thing is disgusting.

• Scruffy says:

If you don’t like the idea of swapping saliva then I guess you’ve never kissed anyone :) Anyway that brings up an interesting point … what would happen if the main couple in Mysterious Girlfriend X kissed? Instant feedback loop of emotion??? Could be very messy.

• DmonHiro says:

The saliva bit doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s pretty much a running joke at this point. Also, it’s just saliva. Grow up. You swap saliva when you do a deep kiss anyway, what’s the big deal? Sure, it’s a little kinky, but as anime goes, the fanservice in this show has been quite tasteful (no pun intended) and reserved.

• wicked says:

realize that you’re essentially dismissing the entire concept of the whole series, you might as well not watch it if it bothers you. Unlike Lagrange, where there are fate of the worlds, politics and character history, all sort of drama to explore, Nazo no Kanojo only has one drama to focus on, the relationship exploration between the 2 teenagers. you cannot compare the point of doing fan service between the the 2 series, because frankly, Lagrange had other things that deserved more attention

17. garfield15 says:

Psgels, I really think you should give SS Omega one last try (trust me, I know where you’re coming from as I’ve been bored too), but the latest episode was more than just hot-blooded fights. Give it a shot

18. dominus says:

Yea they decided it was time for evil to rise things will now be at a different level that secure environment(the academy) is gone forever. Time for blood to flow.

19. Nemo says:

Happy to see Kimi to Boku at the top! :) It was an amazing episode by far, one of my favorites of the spring season

@Masky, I believe I told you to watch Fate/Zero and apologize.
@AidanAK47 three days ago: Harsh words :D
I do echo the frustration though with shows you like not getting enough episodes. And then there are of course shows where I wonder, did they really need so many episodes/seasons.
You an always watch the old 160 episode ova of Legend of Galactic Heroes. Differences to date are minor
@Anon: Follow up films coming though.
Galactic Heroes, is starting to grow on me, is a shame, that's only 12 episodes so much potential being wasted. What happened to those times when long animes, could have at least 50 episodes ( Gundam Seed, Code Geass) and still be viable. feeling hopeless
@Mario: A female director you could also look into is Moufida Tlatli , especially silences of the palace.
@Mario: On golden kamuy, from reading on in the manga, there will be a big reveal regarding Asirpa soon. Also I feel the prisoner guys are becoming monster of the week.
@Mario: I'm glad to be reviewing stuff again on letterboxd.
@Mario: ....I...actually momentarily forgot about the PM system.
@Mario: Watch Bombshell, secrets of a hollywood star or calling hedy lamarr, Bombshell is a recent documentary about Lamarr.
@Mario: Von Triers new film looks darkly funny though to a degree and I love the self-indulgent first per3son narration.
@Mario: I have no idea how Stellan Skarsgard (who works alot with Von trier) produced Alexander Skarsgard, the latter is far too attractive to come from that. I feel the same about Asia Argento, I refuse to believe Dario could have produced such a fine creature.
@Mario: I'm rarely about morals or understanding as an importance when it comes to film, I care most about how it hits me on a visceral/emotional level, how daring it is in its imagination, visuals, madness , creativity.
@Kaiser: thanks, received it. God, Von Triers new film is entirely something else. Full-on provocation. And I already think his Nymphomaniac was too much
@Mario: Also I'm dying to see Von Trier and Chang-dongs new films, especially the priors.
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
That said, the key drama scenes were still great. Okabe's VA continues to make me happy. Im just not sure how much of this is nostalgia.
Steins;Gate is at its best in moments of character drama and character interaction. All of its value lies in its characters. Any action, with this muted style, is going to come off stiff and dull. A con of the art-style decision.
@Lenlo: I'm glad you said that, because I felt visually it looked stiff this week and that brief scene in the beginning wasn't much to look at. But Okabes meeting with Baldyguy-san and the cliffhanger and after credits bit were good scenes.
So yeah, this was probably the weakest week of Steins;Gate so far. Its pretty clear its not an action series and that its style doesnt suit itself well to combat scenes
... watching and reading many shounen titles (Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Bleach and the likes), shounen isn't my cup of tea at all
While I grow up
@Anon, I love Shounen. BnHA is one of my favorites every season its on. Doesnt mean I like Black Clover though
Thank you for that anon, when I watched the episode earlier I wasn't aware there was a post credits scene.
oh well, we still are early on in S;G 0 too. Plus, there seems to be a huge development at the end of the episode
idk, i can't help but feel that besides the amadeus plotline, everything else feels "fillery"
I must say though that I'm still waiting for it to get good, idk maybe my expectations are too high because the original was great after the first few episodes
Don't forget to watch end credits fo Steins Gate 0
I like some shonen. I just think that they are popular enough as not to be worth reviewing ihmo.
@Anon2140150 - I do. Though Shounen do have the issue of being derivative in certain aspects like power scales and several doing the FMA Brotherhood climax (of what I've watched). Also they're made to be endless. It can be intimidating jumping to one that has several seasons.
Does everyone here don't like shonen anime?
Really, if there is one piece of information (aside from otome maybe) that makes me ignore a series forever it's a LN about a LN author or illustrator. The selfinert wish fulfillment couldn't be more obvious.
Another LN greenlit for an anime production and the synopsis starts with "* is a light novel illustrator and..".
@KTravlos: I don't know why modern anime hate curly- and/or wild hair so much. The old hair style gave Reinhard a more royal look, whereas he looks like a normal highschool boy now. Not that I am complaining about the anime as a whole. Also, I like some of the new designs.
and a part of me things it is indeed the hair. It comes to low, giving Reinhard a slovenly, lazy feel. When Yang feels more energetic you know there was a mistake.
and yes, this Reinhard fares poorly in comparison to the OVA one. He is dull. I need more Yang :p
ai vay vay. The Castrop Rebellion remains waste of time. And this time it was worse. The older depiction was tacky but at least it showed Kircheis ability in a logical manner. This time I had no idea what the hell happened. It felt cheap.

The rest of the episode was ok. Not completely sold on all the renditions of imp. admirals though I still love the uniforms.
*those
Hearing these , I find myself much more tolerant of anime voice acting even if the dub might only be okay.
Its actually less of a sync issue, as I'm talking about 60s dubs , alot of people think the voices in old anime English dubs from the 90s are dated, but the old sixties kungfu and western dubs are shocking, far worse.
I don't mind sometimes satirical dubbing like on tiger lily , dialectics break bricks and kung pow however.
And those can be difficult to acquire sometimes in Italian or Chinese.
@Anon: Live action films, this is especially annoying sometimes because I love Spaghetti westerns and Chinese martial arts films and old Italian cop thrillers.
@Kaiser-Eoghan Are you referring to foreign animated films of foreign live action films because dubbing live action is a different beast as I'm sure you're aware. The idiosyncratic nature of watching moves and facial expressions not properly match voices really pulls the viewer out of the experience
SuperWooper
LoGH is airing a special next week because of scheduling delays, so that's one less thing to do.
Well to those whom it might concern, expect my posts to be later than usual this week. Work is hell at the moment.
I have to say, this is probably a bit hypocritical, but while I enjoy dubs of anime I really really can't stand dubs of foreign films.
Simo Hayha would make a pretty crazy Archer.
I imagine a fate strange fake adaptation will materialize eventually.
But everyone seems to want that Finnish sniper as a Fate servant .
Still no Mao, still mad.
....I have lost track of the historical characters in the fate lineup.
@Lenlo, to expand on that point the following historical figures are now female: Nero Claudius, Leonardo da Vinci, Frankenstein's Monster, Xuanzang, Jing Ke, Quetzalcoatl, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Miyamoto Musashi, Okita Souji and many more to come.
@Anon, I find it's an enjoyable watch though flawed. If you can get past some odd fanservice around the first ten episodes then I say it's worth watching.
So i was thinking if i start watching, darling in the franxx, is worth it? or is just another 6/10 anime?
God damnit. Why Nasu. Just why.
@Kaiser, that ain't even Lewd.
In all seriousness its ridiculous, the Japanese will make a cute/moe girl out of anything.
....Should I also mention that Francis Drake is a big boobed pirate queen?
@Aidan: Posting lewd images on a respectable chatbox.
@Lenlo, But none of these characters are in the anime adaptions. Well besides Jack and Saber.
Aidan, all this conversation did was prove that my decision to only ever watch the Ufotable adaptions was the correct decision.
@Lenlo, you can blame Extella for the Attlia the Hun thing. I wasn't too fond of it myself. Also should mention Attila is female as well.
Also Masky I will be the first to admit to the ridiculous aspects of the Fate Franchise but do take note that you are commenting on something you know literally nothing about. Which is the very definition of ignorance and is quite annoying. Fate/Zero nails the themes it's going for. So go watch Fate/Zero, come back and apologize.
@Masky, Give it time. Genghis is getting in there eventually with Grand Order. We just had Anastasia and Salieri introduced after all. And it's not as if this story introduces Servants willy nilly, they need actual story purpose. Genghis Khan wouldn't have fit the Narrative that Fate/Zero was going for.
Wait Attila is an Alien and Edison is a Lion? God damnit Fate. Why are you doing this to me. I was already annoyed at your treatment of Musashi
(aliens existing in the show is good example of that missing on themes part xP)
*most successful conqueror
Honestly was just amused most conqueror of all time not being featured in the show :D But wait, whats this about aliens?
Anyway the important thing to take into account is that in the Fate universe, King Arthur is a woman, Attila the Hun is an Alien, Thomas Edison is a lion and Jack the Ripper is a little girl in a dominatrix outfit. Any questions?
And while you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes, it does leave you ignorant of how that show handles those ideas and themes.
As for the Historical Alexander, he wasn't given the title of King of Couquerors. Fate/Zeros interpretation of him was. As generally accurate Fates interpretation of Servents history can be, they can make changes to suit the narrative.
In that Regard Alexander was doing the conquest thing before Ghengus did. Ghengus likely has some other title. Hell he may only have the title because public consciousness was is more familiar with Alexander than Ghengus.
Yeah, looking it up seems the King Title lost quite a lot of meaning in the Nasuverse. Though the King Title is rather flimsy. I mean Arthur is the King of Knights cause of the Knights of the round table. Gil is king of heroes because his tale was the first Heroic myth.
I think Alexander was just the first one they thought of, and they couldnt retroactively give it to someone else.

That said, Broskander deserves it <3
(And no, you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes of it.)
(just to note in case I need to note, I do tend to do at least cursory research when I make comments on stuff I don't watch)
That first part is semantics as Fate gives title "King" to historical figures who weren't kings already :D Also, you can make that argument about historical Alexander the Great? Since that seriously sounds like kind of weak reason.
Also sees Rider as deserving of title of "King of Conquerors" because that which he strives to conquer most is not lands or material wealth, but the hearts of people, the toughest conquest that can be undertaken by anyone.
@Masky, Ghengis Khan wasn't a king. He was a Khan.
Ghengis is always a Rider in my mind.
But in all seriousness, Ghengis would be an appropriate beserker servant.
@Masky: I know, it feels so wrong I'm still mad I can't summon Karl Marx or Stalin.
So wait, Fate series is about historical figures with super powers, but "King of Conquerors" title isn't given to Ghengis Khan? :D Seriously? Thats just so wrong
I don't feel any point in finishing it, it feels like something that I'd just randomly drop , not because its a bad show, but because I got my fill of it.
I am actually going to drop blogging it.
@Sash, indeed. I have been watching it but not blogging it for the last few episodes because it just hasn't givne me anything to say. I don't think it's a bad show but I have pointed out the flaws and strengths of it already so there is truly nothing more to say on it.
Sash
I think wotakoi is starting to feel repetitive..
You are now aware Shana and Batman Ninja Harelequinn are both voiced by Rie kugimiya.
I did. It was... It was a thing.
@Lenlo: Did you end up watching Batman ninja by the way?
Music is great, yeah. When the music is on point, everything goes up. Everytime the sync the fight/punches to the music I just get hyped. Like the rotating shot with Aragaki or the first fight in episode 1.
Ill do my best to be clearer in the future on that front. Yeah, I dont mind twists like this. Makes the inevitable Mikio fight, narratively, even better.
I feel the music does alot of the lifting.
Oh, so that was it.
Sorry if I never made that clear.
I would rather have fewer, amazing, fights than a lot of low-quality fights. This is a one cour show, the more meaning/impact they can give each fight the better.

Like Aragaki, narratively, was great. Loved it. Its just in animation/choreography that it falls flat.
Im disappointed with the animation of the fights. Narratively, I think they are quite good.
*disappointed with the fights in past episodes
@Lenlo: Pretty much what I said I thought of the episode. Although I was surprised how took the episodes ending, I expected you to see it as a slap in the face after being disappointed with the fights.
Also, @Kaiser, I thought Megalo Box did something unique this episode. I wasn't expecting Joe to *not* fight. And the Mikio/Yukiko proxy war is an interesting character motivation. Im betting Yukiko will get Joe a full citizenship, effectively getting her on his side.
I wish I was physically capable of watching Megalo Box without thinking of Hajime no Ippo. I really do. But everytime I watch it, it makes me want to watch Ippo again to.
Anonymous2120908
I watched some more of the Chimera family chinese anime. (Wasn't aware it was monthly released). And geez, I like the concept, the background art is very pretty and contrasts with settings that have become tired in other anime. Yet sadly the animation and script are WEAK. I haven't grasped the quality of what's expected of these types of production but I want to believe, they're trying.
Not much in the way of action in megalobox this week, but I did like the focus on Yukkiko getting a small character moment and then the big moment at episodes end .
@Anon, That's some lazy ass trolling buddy. Should have stopped before the hashtags.
I'm even sort of looking forward to supposedly less respectable stuff like Goblin slayer and happy sugar life.
Also E3 is almost here. And I can't wait. I think Nintendo will have a good show considering they're revealing the new Smash with a tournament. There's rumors of the new game by Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong) and maybe they'll reveal something about how Pokemon will be on the Switch.
Also there's always the chance of something new being discovered. Not everything needs expectations behind. Sometimes great things come out of nowhere.
So yes, there are some at least decent shows coming out.
@Anon: Muh Baki, Muh Bananna fish, muh made in abyss season 2, muh Vinland.
Anonymous2119906
The rest of this year looks like shit for anime and 2019 doesn't look great either #fuckmoe #makeanimegreatagain
Anonymous2119214
@Kaiser yeah it happened in half the amount of eps this time around for steins gate 0; which i expected considering there's a lot of ground to cover
Anonymous2119106
@Supermario Something like Fate or the LOTR films are a different case. I get where you're coming from about your preference, but I'm arguing that if a large story is going to be split into 3 films, it helps that the 3 films feel cleanly cut. Infinity war, even though we know there's a second part to the story, feels like it has that cohesive narrative structure with a beginning, middle, and end
Anonymous2119106
@Super Mario yea but the marvel movies are a different situation so i don't think the comparison is as appropriate. Marvel movies are "episodic" in nature rather than a continuous narrative. The films are largely isolated stories that are happening in a similar universe that only happen to "congeal" narratively because of a few overarching details shared between films.
@Lenlo: I remember when the original series suddenly shifted and got going and it was a really depressing episode.
Oh baby. The storm has finally come in Steins;Gate. Let the true suffering commence
@anon2118276: that's why I don't like LoTR trilogy. It's still a whole body chopped up in 3 parts, despite how clean the cut is. Whereas for me it works better if it was like a branch in a tree. The Marvel movies (despite my disinterest on those) are a good example of this.
While I did feel some of this weeks steins gate felt fillery, I do like see these characters interact and given the episodes conclusion, this episode acted as a calm before the storm.
Ill agree with you on King Kong. As for the Ralph Bakshi LotR, I have. I am still to this day impressed by the overlay of 2D art onto real/overexposed footage. It makes for shockingly fluid animation in places and has its own distinct style
@Lenlo - Have you watched the old Ralph Bakshi adaptation of the first two books? It's uneven, but it's interesting comparing and contrasting certain decisions. As good as Peter Jackson is, I feel he makes very longwinded films, I like his version of King Kong a lot, but it is too long.
@supermario i disagree; the point is that even though the LOTH films have cliffhanger endings, they still feel like fils. they have a defined first second and third act with well paced tension and release throughout them. They follow a storytelling macrostructure necessary for films to feel like cohesive narratives even if they are to end on a cliffhanger
I quite liked the individual LOTR movie just fyi
Marvel surprisingly has kept their movies simple enough, that while you might miss details nowadays, you can tell what's happening.
Another bad case is like with Assassin's Creed, which like Lost, just tried to tease a lot of things, then it grew tired of trying to piece them together and let the last games work more standalone, with little hints of a larger lore.
Metroid does both, it has a standalone story and a hint to what a sequel might bring. Though that hint rarely matters by the time the new game is released.
@SuperMario - Some videogames trilogies also do that. Gears of War and God of War had good standalone beginnings but by the second game they put cliffhanging endings. Kingdom Hearts does that and I expect 3 to also do it. Megaman Legends and Half Life had incomplete stories, which might be the worse case in regards to trying to make a continuous story.
It ruins the appetite
I actually think Lord of the Rings' trilogy is a bad example to follow. These films are meant to be viewed as a whole, so each film doesn't hold much as an individual story. I just can't digest films that have "to be continued" sign at the end. Imagine having a first course meal and then have to wait for few days for second course
On the current topic, I would be well for the production of a long running, ambitious ova series.
then again, i don't take too much issue with these films feeling like movie-sized eps...the wait just sucks is all
clearly the films need each other to tell the whole story, yet they can be taken for what they are in isolation as well
I don't mind the trilogy trend at all; like Aidan said, when everything is said and done, all the films will be available to watch. I just think a stronger attempt should be made to make them feel like complete films. Something like the lord of the rings trilogy is a great example of how to do this
I am in full confidence that neither I nor Miura will survive to the end of berserk.
Of course maybe they won't have a future , think about it that way, then they'd never see it, life has that weird way of being unpredictable like that =P
You can always rewatch them just before watching the one after.
Of course not. But that's the thing. The wait is only a temporary problem. Anyone in the future will have all movies ready to view.
So it's best to wait for another 2 years to watch Heaven's Feel? Hell NOT
When all the movies come out though you can basically barrel through it like a TV series.
Dangit, it's me Mario
I still don't know if I like this trilogy trend. We've had a fair bun h of those in recent years (Berserk Golden Age, Madoka, even Kizumonogatari). I guess doing it that way, they'd make much more profits, and we have higher production values, but the wait is way too long and I don't think it works as movie-format
One of the very rare times where self-awareness works.
I can be nice and say of course Ryan Reynolds+ violence, comic was funnier.
@Aidan: But I'm sure if you think it over, the first deadpool was trapped in origin story mode, as an advantage, the sequel, is probably free of that.
@Aidan: Deadpool 2 had John Wicks director, which at the least means something in terms of action direction.
@Aidan: There was a whole run of deadpool issues called Cable and deadpool, which I suppose that pairing together gets the best out of the character.
Seen Deadpool 2 tonight and I have difficultly deciding if it's better or worse than Deadpool 1. Still it's quite fun and I enjoyed it.
@Anon, I feel somewhat similar in regards to Franxx. When this series finishes I won't be singing high praises for it. Yet I do feel that it's worth watching.

Golden Kamuy – 07 [Complication]

This week ties up one plot thread that is Nihei and Tanigaki and their quest for hunting down the wise wolf and overall it does a decent job at that. Continuing from where the last episode left of, this final confrontation works for me because everyone has a moment to shine. Sugimoto proves that he […]

Hisone to Masotan – 06 [I’ll Shout Your Name]

At one point during this episode I almost felt that Hoshino was just too overboard. Being stubborn is one thing, but when you’re too stubborn you outright hurt others’ feeling without backing down, it’s irritating to watch. The issue with Hoshino, as we come to learn during the flashback, is that piloting an F2 has […]

Megalo Box – 7 [The Road to Death]

Hello everyone, and welcome to the most surprising episode of Megalo Box yet. This week we have family drama, Joe’s declining health and a shocker of an ending. Lets jump in! So starting from the top, lets talk about this ending. I never thought Megalo Box would pull something like this, with its limited number […]

Hinamatsuri – 07 [Anzu Is a Greeter Now]

At this halfway mark, I want point out that the comedy of Hinamatsuri isn’t as sharp as the first few episodes (except for the segment including Hitomi’s classmates). There’s still absurdist sense of humor, sure, but it doesn’t make me laugh out lout or even make me chuckle. That is to say I come to […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 7[The Capture of Iserlohn (Part 2)]

The majority of this episode was detailing the plan and execution of Yangs takeover of Iserlohn which does seem rather simplistic when you think about it. This is a point where LOGH shows its age a bit and while they tried to bump it up by throwing in a body scanner, there is still the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 6 [Eclipse of Orbital Ordering -The Orbital Eclipse-]

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Steins;Gate 0 has stomped the throttle and cut the breaks. Lets skip the intro and just get right to it. Early on I thought this episode was going to be slow, we were going to focus on our characters and relax a bit. I thought it would be drama […]

Golden Kamuy – 06 [Hunter’s Soul]

Well, (animal) shit. Golden Kamuy starts slow this week and ends with a bang. This episode presents many of Golden Kamuy’s ups and downs so it’s best to dissect them one by one. For the negative part, the pacing is still off. This episode spends too much time on Sugimoto and Asirpa hunting that poor […]

Hisone no Masotan – 05 [Do You Really Think That There’s Anybody Who Likes Being Disliked?]

There’s one thing you can count on original shows, you can never know for sure what the plot is going next. Sometimes, it surprises you with its sheer originality and sometimes, it could go to weird places. HisoMaso falls into the latter this week, literally where it’s taking us to an uninhabited island for the […]

Darling in the Franxx – 17[Eden]

Indeed Franxx appears to be doubling down on a darker more serious tone though I still am wondering if it will truly follow through on this or dismiss it fast and go full on happy ending. Personally I always feel cheated when a series foreshadows dark things to come only to turn tail when it’s […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]