Posted by psgels on 26 May 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Natsuiro Kiseki – 08: I love travelling series, and this episode captured that perfectly. Trips are fun and all, but getting there is very often underestimated. As much as I like the direction Kimi to Boku turned into, in the end I do like Natsuiro Kiseki better, because it accomplished the same thing, while needing half of that airtime. – **+ (Excellent+)

#2: Kimi to Boku – 20: This time it’s the turn for Shu’s brother. As annoying as he was in the other episode he was featured in, as charming he was here. Seriously, that was some good romance there, especially for a guy with as little airtime as him. – **+ (Excellent+)

#3: The Legend of Korra – 07: By far the lest interesting part of the Legend of Korra is its romance, but that really got a push into the right direction with this episode when everyone finally seems to drop all of the tension. Aside from that, once again the action was great and I indeed saw confirmed that I’ve been suspecting all along now. – ** (Excellent)

#4: Nazo no Kanojo X – 07: The male lead’s big flaw is that he is very unremarkable. There is one point at which he sets himself apart from his counterparts though: the way he reacts to his girlfriend. Add that to a played down performance that isn’t trying too hard, and you’ve got a male romance lead that I really don’t mind watching. Nevertheless though, the female characters in this series remain the better ones. – ** (Excellent)

#5: Shirokuma Cafe – 08: A grizzly bear, a polar bear and a panda go fishing. I never imagined that they’d actually make an anime out of that. That bird in the first half of this episode was also hilarious, not to mention Shirokuma’s past. – ** (Excellent)

#6: Jormungand – 07: Nice episode, especially in terms of the gunfight. Koko’s date was a bit anticlimactic, though, but this show is steadily making its cast more interesting. – *+ (Great)

#7: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 20: The thing with this series is, that the entire cast is just fun to watch. It’s not just Poyopoyo, but the brother and sister tht own him are well acted and just as fun as he is, if not even more. – *+ (Great)

#8: Hunter X Hunter – 32: This is one fights which was done completely different when compared to the 1999 series. Overall, I prefer the waythe 1999 version did it, for one main reason: this episode went overboard with the explanations. It just went on and on with guiding us through every step in the ultimately brief fight. At times it also felt like the characters were talking to the audience, rather than each other. It’s a shame, because with the right execution the creators could really have done some impressive stuff here. Also, I disagree that my arguments can be dismissed because “this is a shounen series”. Genre conventions are guidelines. Be bold! Screw conventions! Break them! Hunter X Hunter is the perfect series to do that with! – * (Good)

#9: Saint Seiya Omega – 08: Okay, so apparently I dropped this show right at the wrong time: stuff actually happened here. I admit that the golden saint is interesting, but this episode did not fix the character issues I have in that they’re just too bland and uninteresting. That gold saint was one of the best characters so far for a reason. – * (Good)

#10: Sankarea – 08: There is one thing I am really struggling with with this series: it has parts that are really good. But it’s completely boring during the rest of its time. Now, will it get better/ Knowing Studio Deen, they will milk this show into a second season, but even thhen this is a manga adaptation where a lot of focus will be on how they handle the ending.This episode was already dragged out, despite the good bits at the end of it. – (Enjoyable)

#11: Medaka Box – 08: You know, it’s nice and all that the genre shift is about to begin now… but this show will be over in four weeks. Yeah, it’s only a 1-cour series. So yeah, in the meantime we have another dull episode about some random police officer who takes het job way too seriously. Also, if she didn’t have another uniform, what happened to the one she was going to make Medaka wear? – - (Disappointing)

1. Saigo says:

Still the shonen have to explain the attacks for a reason. the audience want to know how powerful the attack is.

Also is the way to prove that is not an asspull.

2. Anca says:

But look at the bright side! There a lot of blood this episode!

A good portion of HxH fanbase wants POWERLEVELS so they do need to appease them too, haha. Long explanations that go like “Listen to all the reasons my attack is unbeatable!” “No, listen to all of its weaknesses I identified in a split-second!” is the easiest way to do it.

3. hgfdsahjkl says:

exactly,the fight was poorly executed but it isn’t really a surprise knowing the director of the new series,the fight on papers was Amazing,for the love of god,they couldn’t get one moment right and the acting for Hisoka was horrible,such a shame,the new series is such a shame to HxH overall

4. Lazy says:

“I disagree that my arguments can be dismissed because “this is a shounen series”. Genre conventions are guidelines. Be bold! Screw conventions! Break them! Hunter X Hunter is the perfect series to do that with!”

I really can’t see why a series almost 15 years old should break the conventions. What this new iteration of HxH should do is stick as close as possible to the manga and keep airing so we can see the chimera ant arc animated. So far so good.

• Scruffy says:

Maybe because this is an ANIME not a manga! Seriously there is things you can do in the animated form that you cannot do in the written. To ignore that is just being lazy in your adaptation.

• Lazy says:

I don’t see the need to change stuff when the source material is already very good. That’s not being lazy, just respectful. Plus they have been adding some extra touches here and there like the Canary flashback, some foreshadowing like the different nen types of everyone in the ED.

I don’t say it’s always bad to deviate from the source material when you do an adaptation, but adapting faithfully is just the obvious thing to do even if it leaves little place to creativity.

• Hogart says:

Then why even bother making an anime if you’re just going to clone the original out of some pathetic idea of “respect”? You might as well just leave it well enough alone.

The entire point of an adaptation should be to take advantage of the new medium’s format and try to improve on the original, even if that means involving the original author.

But that’s not what adaptations like this are – these are lazy cash-grabs. Apologizing for their laziness isn’t doing a service to the original.

• Anca says:

You can’t ‘clone’ the original into another format. What the fanbase here wants from what I gather is HxH, only animated. Gasp, shock, I know.

Remember FMA and FMA: Brotherhood? Hunter x Hunter 1999 was basically like FMA, an original take on the story (to an extent, of course, because it didn’t diverge). This new version does exactly what Brotherhood did: retell the same story but in a way that is faithful – identical – to the original source. Nothing wrong with that, if you start with the premise that it’s so flawed it needs to be ‘improved’ you end up with series like Tsubasa Chronicles which the original’s fanbase universally hate – especially not if the ‘improved’ version already exists! (And is a very decent improvement at that!).

And ‘lazy cash-ins’?! Are you kidding me?1 The only thing that’s cheaper than for an original story is the script adaptation, every other cost – the majority of the costs! – are still there.

• Hogart says:

Its fine to adapt the original story. But comparing this to FMA:Brotherhood is ridiculous. One was a pretty faithful adaptation that made the most out of the anime format, the other is not. But you’re right, if this is what fans of the HxH wanted, then I see nothing wrong with its laziness. I just expected more of HxH fans.

5. hgfdsahjkl says:

it isn’t about changing the source material at all ,it’s about how you execute it,both are different media,they couldn’t build the fight in a shocking way neither Hisoka playing on kastro’s nerves,it all wasn’t there,it just didn’t reach me,here the director fails

same as Gon vs Hanzo,I fuilt nothing,if I were to descripe the new series ,it’s just tasteless

-the Ant arc is an amazing and deep arc however with how this anime is going,I’m sure it’s going to be pictured as DBZ arc for the anime only people

• wicked says:

ah the ant arc, where the anime’s art will be significantly better than the manga. It’s funny because HxH paid homage to DBZ with the Ant King looking like Freeza.

The Ant arc was so messy at time, that the animators will need to take a lot of creative liberties, I dont have high hopes

• Gintoki says:

I’m pretty sure that the Ant King was meant to look like Cell, not Freeza.

• wicked says:

I can see design elements from both really, in term of assimilation, he is more like cell. I always thought cell was not as good of a villain compare to Freeza

6. garfield15 says:

Still think you should give Omega one more shot man

7. kevin says:

Come on Psgels are you really still going to bash Hunter x Hunter without any real reasoning?

8. hamster says:

The choreography was kind of meh and the explanation was strained and – yes, you’re right – obviously done for the purpose of explanation, shattering the 4th wall in process. That said I think the way the 1999 series completely skipped the fight was disingenuous.

9. Meow says:

Just like machi i had my doubts at first but now i’m pretty sure
    You really are just a 1999 fanboy trying to bash this series.
    The trick was complicated so it needed that explanation. Following shounen
    Conventions would have them make it an ass-pull with a lot of screaming
    As for the fight, it was executed very well.

• Puran says:

He’s not intentionally doing anything. You can’t help but compare it to the older series (if you’ve already seen it).

The only “unfair” thing is that, since you already know the plot, the new series loses a lot of its charm by default. So in the event that the new series isn’t clearly and obviously better than the old series in most regards, it kind of loses by default. And I don’t think the new series managed to do that.

• shareme says:

You’re talking like objective people (to the point of being surgical even) doesn’t exist in real life. From my point of view, psgels should have treated his HxH “reviews” as “my thoughts” from the get go if he doesn’t intend to view it as a separate series from the the old anime.

Reviews, if it isn’t used as a marketing ploy, denotes “fair”, “unbiased”, “objective” point of view from the one who consumed a product to serve as a guide and a source of additional info to fellow and new consumer of said product.

His HxH 2011 reviews are obviously unfair, biased, and very subjective – a far cry from what I would expect from a “review”, let alone from a seasoned reviewer.

• psgels psgels says:

I think there is a little misunderstanding going on here: the reason why these blurbs are bad reviews is because I didn’t write them as reviews. These really are meant to be impressions, the things that come to my mind as and after I watch it.

Also, and this is coming from an “experienced reviewer”, there is no such thing as a completely unbiased review.

• shareme says:

You must have missed the part “from the get go”. I’m not just talking about the blurbs.

So this is your “excuse”? Since there is no such thing as a completely unbiased review, it’s alright to write a completely biased one? I guess you also missed the “fair” and “objective” part.

But who am I to judge? Just as you said: Your blog, your domain, your rules. In short, if we don’t like what was written, leave.

So I’m leaving… but of course, not without a parting shot.

Writers should value criticisms higher than praise. Praises, while nice to hear, does not help a writer. Criticism does. One leaves you stagnant, the other helps you grow.

• Puran says:

Objectivity doesn’t exist, but that is another discussion.

And last time I checked psgels is not claiming to be a journalist or something like that, this is a blog, it is bound to be more personal and more subjective.

10. F says:

psgels; I understand where you are coming from, I really do. And I know it’s the anime and not the manga. But this fight was really 90% Hisoka explaining why he’s so badass. Really, what could they have done? Added a few more punches and kicks? If they cut the dialogue it would essentially ruin the scene. It would end up being more like a typical shounen with moves that look like lazy asspull, and that’s not what I want HxH to be.

11. Aquarion old fan says:

still new to hunter x hunter, just start watching and never watch the old version before and never will; i think the way the episode play out is just nice and right =), no offend…i am a newbie in this series thou XD

• clove says:

not new to hxh but i don’t compare it with old version. this version is quite good to watch and i am going to treat this as a new anime. but i am glad psgels did not drop HxH (at least HxH has a place in kaleidoscope >_<). Love to listen all your rants bout HxH (good or bad).

seriously HxH's episode 33 is very good and give me hopes up that this series will get better in future.

12. RABUJOI says:

Nazo no Kanojo X – 07: You hit the nail on the head: Tsubaki is thoroughly unremarkable, but he’s not boring, and with such excellent female characters, he doesn’t have to be a revelation, and his innate normalness make it easier to connect with him, and his reactions have been consistently realistic and relatable. His pal Ueno, on the other hand, has a tendency to over-act, though not so much as to be a detriment.

• wicked says:

I think Tsubaki was meant to be plain, as a contrast to the unusual Urabe. Tsubaki is actually one of the most likable leads for a “romance” manga. He is unremarkable, but he’s one of the few characters that is truly sincere with his feelings for the girl

• Space Eater says:

I agree, Tsubaki makes a boring male lead look tedious, its not easy to be dating a scissor-wielding-drool-sharing cat girl. Besides, Urabe has enough personality for the both of them and isn’t fazed from doing perverse things, albeit her boyfriend doesn’t know about it.

13. kero says:

woo Kimi to Boku at the top again Yay!

14. Life says:

You know whats surprising? You are still watching Medaka Box lol

15. Space Eater says:

Mystical elemental powers, car races, love triangles, teen angst, violence, giant fighting mechs, hot babes, humor, suspense, big business, police crack down and an old guy screaming about his cabbage all in a kids show?

What more can we ask for?

(v);,,;(v) Why not zoidberg?

Mail will not be published
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 10:31 PM)
    I’m trying not to get my hopes up however, given that it wouldn’t be surprising if he gave us another filler chapter like he did with that pointless flashback.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 10:26 PM)
    I enjoyed this chapter of berserk and it made me immediately think “Finally now we’re getting somewhere”. I have been flicking through older chapters of the manga and wow, this really has turned into something fairly different. Bam is right about Gut’s reason to go to elfland. I think its impossible now to get a satisfactory ending out of berserk though we’ve been waiting too long.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 10:14 PM)
    The alternative is that Miura wants to bank on this till he dies; can’t blame him cuz you can always bet on black (swordsman).
  • Bam
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 10:13 PM)
    @Aidan: I think the point was originally to heal Caska (hence Farnese showing hesitation in fear of losing Guts when Caska is back) but then so many people tagged along that I don’t think the party knows anymore why they’re going there, just that they were supposed to. I have said before but I’m sure that either Miura doesn’t know what to do or has serious doubts about the ending.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 09:52 PM)
    Fairy dust, stargate, riding dragons, ruby slippers…anything to get Gut’s back on track to taking revenge. Miura needs to end this. He’s sick of making it and we are sick of waiting yet he drags the thing to high heaven.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 09:48 PM)
    It’s been so long I can’t even remember why they were going to elfhelm in the first place. Also was that a one piece joke?
    I like his art but yes, going simpler for moving the story along would be a better idea. Even if he needs to downgrade to the level of one punch man webcomic standards to bring weekly releases.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 09:14 PM)
    I just hope they teleport back to Midland or something, or ride faeries or whatever, I don’t Gove a damn, just anything but the boat. #NoMoreBoat
  • Bam
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 09:13 PM)
    The artistry remains incredible, with every frame filled to the brim with details, almost to the point of tiring the eye. It looks great and all, but I wouldn’t mind some simplicity for the sake of more frequent Berserk. I swear Guts’ entourage has grown so numerous and colorful that they’re almost like a traveling circus. I didn’t even remember that Roderick and a whole bunch of other people are also on the boat.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 09:06 PM)
    I enjoy Rickert but this chapter made me remember how better the story gets when Guts is back in the picture. This was a primer chapter and spent most of its time touching bases and getting the story back on track, and it did that wonderfully and humorously.
  • Bam
    (Monday, Nov 30. 2015 09:01 PM)
    I was tryna stay spoiler free, but you’re goddamn right they got there! Few months back when Miura got it running again I said I believed that if Guts didn’t get to Elfhelm before the next hiatus then the series will probably never end. I really did feel that way and had little hope, but alas, rejoice indeed.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

One Punch Man – 08

I wish I knew just what that girl at the beginning was parodying as she’s clearly been overdrawn in a completely different style. My closest guess would be the poster girls of creature features in the 60s and 70s as she wouldn’t look out of place if pasted into a movie poster. I don’t think […]

Young BlackJack – 08

While I find the level of risk in this two part arc to be inconsequential, I must admit that I like how it all turned out. For this is the first time in this series that Blackjack failed. While he was able to discern the cause of Johnny’s lack of pain, he was unable to […]

Subete ga F ni Naru – 07

Oh those poor seiyūs that had to act in today’s episode. I can only imagine the horror when a Japanese speaking seiyū is told they need to have an entire conversation in English in a fairly dialogue heavy show. Japanese and English happen to be two of the hardest languages to learn so if they […]

One Punch Man – 07

This episode mainly focused on a giant Meteor about to annihilate the city and the introduction if S class heroes, Metal Knight and Bang. Bang makes it a point to say how the top class heroes are hardly very heroic with most not showing up at all to stop a city’s total destruction. Even one […]

Young BlackJack – 07

Racism is always a thorny topic to deal with. Regardless of intent there are just so many ways of messing it up, be it by using strawmen or one dimensional caricatures. It’s a topic that requires a delicate hand to prevent pushing it to its extreme all to make an obvious point of Racism being […]

Subete ga F ni Naru – 06

I can’t say I enjoyed this episode of Subete too much, mainly because there was less investigating and more character building. That wouldn’t be a problem if the character building wasn’t so focused on our main leads. The leads are fine, what we need is to expand on the other characters present on the island […]

One Punch Man – 06

It is interesting that the challenges that Saitama faces that get him worried that truly the most mundane and ordinary. Saitama can punch a monster into oblivion but when it comes to essays or going to sales he’s powerless. Here we have him about to be kicked out of the hero association if he doesn’t […]

Young BlackJack – 06

There are times when Blackjacks over the top nature can be entertaining presentation wise and others when it can remove any sense of surprise. While I do like the things Blackjack explores, it is very clear cut on how it shows it. In this episode the man that Blackjack and the army Medic have been […]

Subete ga F ni Naru – 05

The more I hear about Magata’s DID, the more suspect it becomes. According to this episode, Magata didn’t conceive DID out of trauma or accident but instead intentionally crafted alternate personalities so well to the point that it became DID. I personally find the mechanics of this rather fantastical as I don’t think anyone can […]

Gangsta. – 58/100

Gangsta is an anime with a lot of things going for it. A mature cast, gritty themes, a interesting setting and a trio of main characters who can carry the show. However due to a number of factors it never quite reached its potential. The main trio of characters are unconventional and quite interesting with […]

Gakkou Gurashi! – 80/100

Gakkou is one with a good facade as promotional material would have you believe it was some dime a dozen moe slice of life. I was one who wasn’t fooled by the cute cuddly exterior but I was truly surprised with just how good this anime ended up being. Gakkou is one of those rare […]

Little Witch Academia The Enchanted Parade – 81/100

I wonder when it was that a film being childish became a flaw. As a medium grows it takes steps to aim to mature itself and seek a more intellectual level of presenting entertainment. Animation did it as Anime aimed to explore terrontry that cartoons refuse to explore and video games only recently broke away […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks Review – 85/100

For a long time now this adaption has been the dreams of many a Fate fan with many believing it would never come to pass, but now that it is here is it everything that we dreamed? Short answer to this is no, long answer is nearly. I feel this show will have many divided […]

Shirobako Review – 80/100

When you see a harem anime and sigh as the breasts of the female lead jiggle with every step and wind that can flip a skirt it’s easy to forget that somewhere in Japan a group of people worked hard to get that jiggle right and draw each frame of animation. The hardships of the […]

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]