Posted by psgels on 26 May 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Natsuiro Kiseki – 08: I love travelling series, and this episode captured that perfectly. Trips are fun and all, but getting there is very often underestimated. As much as I like the direction Kimi to Boku turned into, in the end I do like Natsuiro Kiseki better, because it accomplished the same thing, while needing half of that airtime. – **+ (Excellent+)

#2: Kimi to Boku – 20: This time it’s the turn for Shu’s brother. As annoying as he was in the other episode he was featured in, as charming he was here. Seriously, that was some good romance there, especially for a guy with as little airtime as him. – **+ (Excellent+)

#3: The Legend of Korra – 07: By far the lest interesting part of the Legend of Korra is its romance, but that really got a push into the right direction with this episode when everyone finally seems to drop all of the tension. Aside from that, once again the action was great and I indeed saw confirmed that I’ve been suspecting all along now. – ** (Excellent)

#4: Nazo no Kanojo X – 07: The male lead’s big flaw is that he is very unremarkable. There is one point at which he sets himself apart from his counterparts though: the way he reacts to his girlfriend. Add that to a played down performance that isn’t trying too hard, and you’ve got a male romance lead that I really don’t mind watching. Nevertheless though, the female characters in this series remain the better ones. – ** (Excellent)

#5: Shirokuma Cafe – 08: A grizzly bear, a polar bear and a panda go fishing. I never imagined that they’d actually make an anime out of that. That bird in the first half of this episode was also hilarious, not to mention Shirokuma’s past. – ** (Excellent)

#6: Jormungand – 07: Nice episode, especially in terms of the gunfight. Koko’s date was a bit anticlimactic, though, but this show is steadily making its cast more interesting. – *+ (Great)

#7: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 20: The thing with this series is, that the entire cast is just fun to watch. It’s not just Poyopoyo, but the brother and sister tht own him are well acted and just as fun as he is, if not even more. – *+ (Great)

#8: Hunter X Hunter – 32: This is one fights which was done completely different when compared to the 1999 series. Overall, I prefer the waythe 1999 version did it, for one main reason: this episode went overboard with the explanations. It just went on and on with guiding us through every step in the ultimately brief fight. At times it also felt like the characters were talking to the audience, rather than each other. It’s a shame, because with the right execution the creators could really have done some impressive stuff here. Also, I disagree that my arguments can be dismissed because “this is a shounen series”. Genre conventions are guidelines. Be bold! Screw conventions! Break them! Hunter X Hunter is the perfect series to do that with! – * (Good)

#9: Saint Seiya Omega – 08: Okay, so apparently I dropped this show right at the wrong time: stuff actually happened here. I admit that the golden saint is interesting, but this episode did not fix the character issues I have in that they’re just too bland and uninteresting. That gold saint was one of the best characters so far for a reason. – * (Good)

#10: Sankarea – 08: There is one thing I am really struggling with with this series: it has parts that are really good. But it’s completely boring during the rest of its time. Now, will it get better/ Knowing Studio Deen, they will milk this show into a second season, but even thhen this is a manga adaptation where a lot of focus will be on how they handle the ending.This episode was already dragged out, despite the good bits at the end of it. – (Enjoyable)

#11: Medaka Box – 08: You know, it’s nice and all that the genre shift is about to begin now… but this show will be over in four weeks. Yeah, it’s only a 1-cour series. So yeah, in the meantime we have another dull episode about some random police officer who takes het job way too seriously. Also, if she didn’t have another uniform, what happened to the one she was going to make Medaka wear? – - (Disappointing)

1. Saigo says:

Still the shonen have to explain the attacks for a reason. the audience want to know how powerful the attack is.

Also is the way to prove that is not an asspull.

2. Anca says:

But look at the bright side! There a lot of blood this episode!

A good portion of HxH fanbase wants POWERLEVELS so they do need to appease them too, haha. Long explanations that go like “Listen to all the reasons my attack is unbeatable!” “No, listen to all of its weaknesses I identified in a split-second!” is the easiest way to do it.

3. hgfdsahjkl says:

exactly,the fight was poorly executed but it isn’t really a surprise knowing the director of the new series,the fight on papers was Amazing,for the love of god,they couldn’t get one moment right and the acting for Hisoka was horrible,such a shame,the new series is such a shame to HxH overall

4. Lazy says:

“I disagree that my arguments can be dismissed because “this is a shounen series”. Genre conventions are guidelines. Be bold! Screw conventions! Break them! Hunter X Hunter is the perfect series to do that with!”

I really can’t see why a series almost 15 years old should break the conventions. What this new iteration of HxH should do is stick as close as possible to the manga and keep airing so we can see the chimera ant arc animated. So far so good.

• Scruffy says:

Maybe because this is an ANIME not a manga! Seriously there is things you can do in the animated form that you cannot do in the written. To ignore that is just being lazy in your adaptation.

• Lazy says:

I don’t see the need to change stuff when the source material is already very good. That’s not being lazy, just respectful. Plus they have been adding some extra touches here and there like the Canary flashback, some foreshadowing like the different nen types of everyone in the ED.

I don’t say it’s always bad to deviate from the source material when you do an adaptation, but adapting faithfully is just the obvious thing to do even if it leaves little place to creativity.

• Hogart says:

Then why even bother making an anime if you’re just going to clone the original out of some pathetic idea of “respect”? You might as well just leave it well enough alone.

The entire point of an adaptation should be to take advantage of the new medium’s format and try to improve on the original, even if that means involving the original author.

But that’s not what adaptations like this are – these are lazy cash-grabs. Apologizing for their laziness isn’t doing a service to the original.

• Anca says:

You can’t ‘clone’ the original into another format. What the fanbase here wants from what I gather is HxH, only animated. Gasp, shock, I know.

Remember FMA and FMA: Brotherhood? Hunter x Hunter 1999 was basically like FMA, an original take on the story (to an extent, of course, because it didn’t diverge). This new version does exactly what Brotherhood did: retell the same story but in a way that is faithful – identical – to the original source. Nothing wrong with that, if you start with the premise that it’s so flawed it needs to be ‘improved’ you end up with series like Tsubasa Chronicles which the original’s fanbase universally hate – especially not if the ‘improved’ version already exists! (And is a very decent improvement at that!).

And ‘lazy cash-ins’?! Are you kidding me?1 The only thing that’s cheaper than for an original story is the script adaptation, every other cost – the majority of the costs! – are still there.

• Hogart says:

Its fine to adapt the original story. But comparing this to FMA:Brotherhood is ridiculous. One was a pretty faithful adaptation that made the most out of the anime format, the other is not. But you’re right, if this is what fans of the HxH wanted, then I see nothing wrong with its laziness. I just expected more of HxH fans.

5. hgfdsahjkl says:

it isn’t about changing the source material at all ,it’s about how you execute it,both are different media,they couldn’t build the fight in a shocking way neither Hisoka playing on kastro’s nerves,it all wasn’t there,it just didn’t reach me,here the director fails

same as Gon vs Hanzo,I fuilt nothing,if I were to descripe the new series ,it’s just tasteless

-the Ant arc is an amazing and deep arc however with how this anime is going,I’m sure it’s going to be pictured as DBZ arc for the anime only people

• wicked says:

ah the ant arc, where the anime’s art will be significantly better than the manga. It’s funny because HxH paid homage to DBZ with the Ant King looking like Freeza.

The Ant arc was so messy at time, that the animators will need to take a lot of creative liberties, I dont have high hopes

• Gintoki says:

I’m pretty sure that the Ant King was meant to look like Cell, not Freeza.

• wicked says:

I can see design elements from both really, in term of assimilation, he is more like cell. I always thought cell was not as good of a villain compare to Freeza

6. garfield15 says:

Still think you should give Omega one more shot man

7. kevin says:

Come on Psgels are you really still going to bash Hunter x Hunter without any real reasoning?

8. hamster says:

The choreography was kind of meh and the explanation was strained and – yes, you’re right – obviously done for the purpose of explanation, shattering the 4th wall in process. That said I think the way the 1999 series completely skipped the fight was disingenuous.

9. Meow says:

Just like machi i had my doubts at first but now i’m pretty sure
    You really are just a 1999 fanboy trying to bash this series.
    The trick was complicated so it needed that explanation. Following shounen
    Conventions would have them make it an ass-pull with a lot of screaming
    involved.
    As for the fight, it was executed very well.

• Puran says:

He’s not intentionally doing anything. You can’t help but compare it to the older series (if you’ve already seen it).

The only “unfair” thing is that, since you already know the plot, the new series loses a lot of its charm by default. So in the event that the new series isn’t clearly and obviously better than the old series in most regards, it kind of loses by default. And I don’t think the new series managed to do that.

• shareme says:

You’re talking like objective people (to the point of being surgical even) doesn’t exist in real life. From my point of view, psgels should have treated his HxH “reviews” as “my thoughts” from the get go if he doesn’t intend to view it as a separate series from the the old anime.

Reviews, if it isn’t used as a marketing ploy, denotes “fair”, “unbiased”, “objective” point of view from the one who consumed a product to serve as a guide and a source of additional info to fellow and new consumer of said product.

His HxH 2011 reviews are obviously unfair, biased, and very subjective – a far cry from what I would expect from a “review”, let alone from a seasoned reviewer.

• psgels psgels says:

I think there is a little misunderstanding going on here: the reason why these blurbs are bad reviews is because I didn’t write them as reviews. These really are meant to be impressions, the things that come to my mind as and after I watch it.

Also, and this is coming from an “experienced reviewer”, there is no such thing as a completely unbiased review.

• shareme says:

You must have missed the part “from the get go”. I’m not just talking about the blurbs.

So this is your “excuse”? Since there is no such thing as a completely unbiased review, it’s alright to write a completely biased one? I guess you also missed the “fair” and “objective” part.

But who am I to judge? Just as you said: Your blog, your domain, your rules. In short, if we don’t like what was written, leave.

So I’m leaving… but of course, not without a parting shot.

Writers should value criticisms higher than praise. Praises, while nice to hear, does not help a writer. Criticism does. One leaves you stagnant, the other helps you grow.

• Puran says:

Objectivity doesn’t exist, but that is another discussion.

And last time I checked psgels is not claiming to be a journalist or something like that, this is a blog, it is bound to be more personal and more subjective.

10. F says:

psgels; I understand where you are coming from, I really do. And I know it’s the anime and not the manga. But this fight was really 90% Hisoka explaining why he’s so badass. Really, what could they have done? Added a few more punches and kicks? If they cut the dialogue it would essentially ruin the scene. It would end up being more like a typical shounen with moves that look like lazy asspull, and that’s not what I want HxH to be.

11. Aquarion old fan says:

still new to hunter x hunter, just start watching and never watch the old version before and never will; i think the way the episode play out is just nice and right =), no offend…i am a newbie in this series thou XD

• clove says:

not new to hxh but i don’t compare it with old version. this version is quite good to watch and i am going to treat this as a new anime. but i am glad psgels did not drop HxH (at least HxH has a place in kaleidoscope >_<). Love to listen all your rants bout HxH (good or bad).

seriously HxH's episode 33 is very good and give me hopes up that this series will get better in future.

12. RABUJOI says:

Nazo no Kanojo X – 07: You hit the nail on the head: Tsubaki is thoroughly unremarkable, but he’s not boring, and with such excellent female characters, he doesn’t have to be a revelation, and his innate normalness make it easier to connect with him, and his reactions have been consistently realistic and relatable. His pal Ueno, on the other hand, has a tendency to over-act, though not so much as to be a detriment.

• wicked says:

I think Tsubaki was meant to be plain, as a contrast to the unusual Urabe. Tsubaki is actually one of the most likable leads for a “romance” manga. He is unremarkable, but he’s one of the few characters that is truly sincere with his feelings for the girl

• Space Eater says:

I agree, Tsubaki makes a boring male lead look tedious, its not easy to be dating a scissor-wielding-drool-sharing cat girl. Besides, Urabe has enough personality for the both of them and isn’t fazed from doing perverse things, albeit her boyfriend doesn’t know about it.

(v);,,;(v)

13. kero says:

woo Kimi to Boku at the top again Yay!

14. Life says:

You know whats surprising? You are still watching Medaka Box lol

15. Space Eater says:

Mystical elemental powers, car races, love triangles, teen angst, violence, giant fighting mechs, hot babes, humor, suspense, big business, police crack down and an old guy screaming about his cabbage all in a kids show?

What more can we ask for?

(v);,,;(v) Why not zoidberg?

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • SuperMario
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 10:38 PM)
    @Bam: I just glanced over the lightning in a Bottle 2016 and it’s quite impressive. Grimes, Chet Faker, Hundred Waters, Jamie xx? Yay. Yoga & meditation class? Count me in!!
  • AidanAK47
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 09:40 PM)
    @afgm, positive. DS2 relies too much on mobbing your character and the bosses are terribly unimaginative. DS3 has faster combat that DS1 but I still think DS1 one bosses are better and DS3 had less interesting level design than DS1. Plus DS3 also focuses a bit too much on Mobbing and referencing DS1 instead of making it’s own lore.
  • afgm
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 07:49 PM)
    @Aidan are you sure you aren’t looking back on DS1 with rose-tinted glasses?
  • Wicked
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 05:39 PM)
    Other wise I’d have recommended Life and Limit by Keiko Suenobu or maybe something like Mars. Although I don’t think Mars ages very well
  • Wicked
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 05:33 PM)
    @kaiser Shoujo don’t tend to be as twilight zone-y as Partner, plus it’s only 3 volumes. There are shoujo that deals with heavy subject matters like bullying or forbidden love, but i don’t know if that’s what the person is asking for
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 03:27 PM)
    @Wicked: That was a decent enough manga, that Partner series, I like a good dark shojo and it was well enough in that regard within what its genre/demographic could get away with and its story fit comfortably its three volume run.
  • AidanAK47
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 03:14 PM)
    @K-Off, DSII was a disappointment somewhat salvaged by the DLC. DSIII is much better but still doesn’t top DSI.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 03:05 PM)
    @K-off: sorry I’m actually in your (former) neck of the woods about 50 miles north of Orange, working at a music festival called lightning in a Bottle. You’ll love Dark Souls III if you’re patient enough. So much of it is a direct homage/copy of the original that it feels like a shelved fanfic at times, but there is polish and some ingenuity behind some of the deeper nuances of the game.
  • K-Off
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 06:24 AM)
    @Bam Finally going to start DSIII this monday, I’ll have to see what’s so special about this one since I wasn’t the biggest fan of DSII.
  • K-Off
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 06:17 AM)
    Pretty pleased with my Vita so far, finished Danganronpa 2 and completed 100% of Ray Gigant this week. June looks like a pretty good month for the Vita, currently deciding whether or not I should purchase Odin Sphere or Grand Kingdom when they release. Of course I really should repair my WiiU gamepad before Mirage Sessions comes out.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Bungou Stray Dogs 08a

Bungou Stray Dogs – 08

I have to say more than anything this is Bungou Stray Dogs’ special episode, in a sense that in one hand, the show produces one of its most brilliance ever, but on the other hand, there are still many shortcomings along with the greatness, producing an episode that mostly entertainment but uneven. The introduction of […]

Joker Game - 08 1

Joker Game – 08

Well Joker Game managed to pull a twist I didn’t see coming and what makes it rather amusing is that it did it unintentionally. For you see it took the entire episode for me to figure out that I wasn’t watching the antics of another spy of the D-agency only to figure out that this […]

Flying witch 07b

Flying witch – 07

One of the thing that Flying witch always does it right is how it establish the chemistry between any characters, while at the same time maintain the consistency in their personalities. It feels like if you give them any random characters in any random situation, pretty much the show can hit it off. Last week […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 08 1

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 08

I feel bad for the artists and animators who made the opening and ending for this show as they don’t seem to be getting much use. Not that I am complaining of course as if the choice is between a catchy theme song and more content then content wins every time. Though it is a […]

Kiznaiver - 07 4

Kiznaiver – 07

To some this may be the strongest episode of Kiznaiver to date. However to someone like myself I find myself mixed on what I just witnessed. I have said before that what I like about this series are the aspects which are distinctly Trigger which would be it’s sense of wacky humor and character chemistry. […]

Mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga – 08

Again this week Mayoiga succeed at bringing a big screw-you to us audience. The cliffhanger last week is quickly revealed, and we come to learn that Masaki is not a ghost, nor is she a witch, but simply that… she had visited the Lost Village before. Big surprise! It really is a ridiculous anti-climax, but […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 06

If you haven’t heard by now, the second season of Attack on Titan has been delayed till 2017 because Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is far too awesome for Studio Wit to handle in a single year. I really couldn’t care less about the delay since I already know what’s going to happen in season […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 07d

Bungou Stray Dogs – 07

This week the plot revolving the Azure King was resolved and it raises the conflict of sense of justice between Dazai and Kunikida. Like what I suspected last week, all the new characters are in play in this episode and now I get the hang of Bungou Stray Dogs storytelling now. The new characters will […]

Joker Game - 07 3

Joker Game – 07

You know, I am beginning to wonder just how do those lessons go at the D-Agency. Is it something like “Ok, class. Today I will teach you how to summon dolphins with a whistle. After that we will go over the magic rituals of Aleister Crowley and finally have a refresher on the finer points […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]

Nüwa’s Growth Diary

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 2: Chinese Anime shows

As much as I hated the term Chinese Anime (Anime stands for Japanese animation, strictly speaking), this is the exact term for those shows. Their influence from the Anime was so heavy that apart from the voice cast and some scene settings, you can’t tell those apart from the original anime. With that said, judge from […]

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular in their mainland and some parts of Asian countries. With the success of Kung Fu Panda (half-produced by China) and its power on movies industry (China IS the main market for feature films now), it is worth it to take a look on this current trend and see how they are different from anime.
While my fellow bloggers are the ones who more specialize in Games and Manga, I will be the one who cover World Animation (by that I mean anything animated other than anime and American big studio animation – they got way too much coverage already). Like majority of you guys I am not from China, my Chinese is as good as my Japanese (which is to say NONE), so this is actually goddamn difficult to look for titles, and the information I could find are sacred here on top of that find a suitable sub for it, most of them does not even have an English name, thus the title and the synopsis that I give you here are just a rough translation. So behold. This is our very first attempt to cover the animation of china.

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 1: Computer Animated Wuxia shows

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular […]

asagao to kase-san

K-Off’s Ongoing Manga Recommendations (embedded links)

If you frequent the frontpage of Imgur or r/manga often, you may have seen some of my past manga recommendation lists before, but here’s some ongoing manga that I’ll recommend for now. This is in no particular order of best-worst, I’ve also embedded the links to the scanlations into the images for your convenience. 1. […]

New Manga Spotlight – Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne, Shoujo Fujuubun and Shimanami Tasogare

Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne Two chapters so far. Ah love, that sweet nectar which all seek to experience. And truly there is nothing more romantic than gathering up your courage, inviting the girl you love up to the roof, taking her by the shoulders and proclaiming with all your […]

kQtrlYU

Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei video game review- 35/100 (avoid it like the plague)

To preface, I’d call this the poor man’s Fire Emblem if it wasn’t so damn expensive for its quality, not to mention so difficult to find. Here in New York City outside of lower Manhattan, there’s game stores in Brooklyn, Queens, Flatiron, and Newport, to a total count of 12 game stores in a 20 […]

413420_20160420220647_1

DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair Video Game Review – 90/100

There may be those of you who know this series more by its anime adaption instead of it’s video games and if you haven’t watched the anime of this I highly recommend that you don’t watch it. Instead play the games which have been recently ported to Steam. The reason I say this is that […]