Posted by psgels on 31 May 2012 with categories: Sakamichi no Apollon

This really was an episode that focused on the different romances going on, to the point where the first couple has been formed. The end of the episode is pretty much the point where this series goes back to being a love triangle, but a very messy one at that, with character A thinking that character B likes character C while she is growing to like character A more unbeknownst to him, at a point when character C has realized that she had a crush on him.

These love triangles are very easy to screw up and devolve into a soap opera, but what I really like is how the creators made use of Rituko’s character development to further complicate things, rather than pulling some random twist for the sake of drama. The way she came to like Kaoru after spending a lot of time with him, knowing he has a crush on her, while trying to move away from Sentarou… it’s plausible for all of this to happen: over the course of the past episodes we were given enough reasons for her change.

The problem I have with series about teenagers is that there are too many of them: it gets harder and harder to stand out. However, when one comes along that is as well acted as Apollon, I’ll gladly shove these biases aside. That doesn’t change the fact that I want to see more variety in anime, especially considering that “seinen”-series that are supposed to focus on young adults feature teenaged lead characters more often than not. I can’t really fault the creators for picking an excellent manga about teenagers and animating it incredibly well.

But still, we’re currently in a very important half year for Noitamina: these are four series that really need to do well after the Guilty Crown disaster. Apollon and Tsuritama for being really well executed. Natsuyuki and Moyashimon meanwhile need to succeed in order to prove that there still is an audience for series about adults.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Ritsuko says:

That episode was so full of clichés and annoying moments that it kind of ruined the achievment of the previous episode.

Also, no jazz in this episode, yet again…

2. Litho says:

I think I finally figured out why I don’t get annoyed with Apollon, despite having a strong dislike for teenage-romance anime in general.

Not really sure if I can put it in words, but I’ll try.
    When I watch Apollon, I can actually think of the characters as kids. When I watch other romance anime, all I see are 2D anime characters.

This particular episode might not be the best example, but one thing this show does well in previous eps is the way it uses silence. Characters don’t have to say much to convey their emotions/thoughts to the viewer. This was commonplace in many of the old anime, but you don’t see much of it anymore. These days, creators seem to prefer dialogue heavy stuff, either via extremely convoluted monologue like what you get from KyoAni, or pseudo-intelligent (emphasis on pseudo) drivel like in the WhateverGatari franchise. The subtlety I see in Apollon is nostalgic, almost “minimalist” to some extent.

3. Armpit says:

Wonder how psgels is going to feel about this anime in the end when he finds out that all the soap opera romance/angst ended up completely useless, and a waste of time, [SPOILER].

Unless of course they deviate and don’t follow the manga at the end.

Please don’t use spoilers from the manga! – psgels

• Litho says:

Strange. I got volume 9 delivered to me just a few days ago, and thought the ending was perfect. There were some bits I in the middle and final chapter I didn’t quite understand, but my Japanese isn’t really the best. Overall, I loved it and hope Watanabe does follow the manga as much as he can. Not going to spoil anything for psgels, but the ending is millenia better than the simple “who ends up with who” scenario, no question.

• Kim says:

Well thank you for spoiling the end of the series.

Some people are so inconsiderate of others!

• Armpit says:

Or maybe you shouldn’t read the comments if you don’t want to be spoiled. Spoilers don’t go out in the shoutbox because sometimes you can’t help,but see them. You chose with your own free will to click on this episode summary so cry me a river.

• Kim says:

Excuse me this is the ANIME post for episode 8 not a discussion about the manga.

I should be safe to read the comments because I watched this latest episode, talking about what happens after this episode in the manga is a spoiler.

And saying who (or who doesn’t) get with who is still a spoiler even if you did not spoil the details. So yes you were inconsiderate to anime only watchers.

• Armpit says:

aww poor baby. Did i cry when i literally read 20+ spoilers about HxH in these same summaries? No. Did i whine when i read numerous spoilers in the Mirai Nikki episode threads? No.

Stop reading the episode summaries if you want to be spoiler free.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

To be fair to armpit and in his defense you probably should have just ignored his post. I don’t feel all that annoyed by spoilers often they are an incentive for me to continue a series that maybe wasn’t really enaging me as much as it hoped, but finding it improves at a later point through a spoiler can get me back into it.

• Kim says:

No why don’t you stop being a jerk and posting spoilers.

I don’t really care if you were spoiled by other people for other series. They were wrong too. That does not give you the right to spoil other people in this thread.

This is a post about the anime so only the anime (or manga chapters that cover this episode) should be discussed.

• Armpit says:

And why is that? Because you say so? It was never a rule before , so why is it now? Psgels has never reprimanded people for spoilers in these summary posts, so again, explain to me how i am a jerk, yet you aren’t an entitled little brat who thinks everything should be your way or no way?

• Kim says:

@Armpit:

Actually you are wrong. Perhaps not for this series specifically but I know for a fact Psgels has complained countless times about spoilers in the comments since he does not read the manga for the series he is posting about.

• Armpit says:

Then he should make rules otherwise nothing can be done since he lets it go all the time. Just because it is his site means nothing. Without rules, and rules that are to be followed at all times, and not just when he feels like it, then the site would be run by nothing but a dictator.That is a quick way to lose a large portion of the people who visit his site.

So again until i see an official rule posted somewhere about this i’ll just ignore you, or continue to rile you up because you act like a baby and it amuses me.

Cried that river yet?

• Kim says:

@Armpit

Even if there are no rules written down perhaps you don’t realize it is common courtesy to not spoil other people.

• psgels psgels says:

Actually, I have complained countless of times for people to leave spoilers of the original material out of these comments. Hunter X Hunter is just an exception where there is too much going on for me to really regulate it. But with most adaptations, I really don’t appreciate spoilers.

Also, if you’re bothered by the spoilers for Hunter X Hunter: let me know, because then I’ll try to keep those out oft hese comments as well. I admit that this is partially my fault, because I have been a bit lazy with removing them, but with this I’ll moderate them more carefully.

So yeah, thank you for first spoiling the ending, and then being an asshole about it.

• Litho says:

Don’t worry Kim, he/she didn’t really spoil anything.

• Armpit says:

Nope i tried to stay away from the intricate details and just talked about it in a vague sense. Not to mention there is a good chance the anime won’t follow the manga 100% anyway. If the anime adds 5 mins of material after the manga ends, then a lot more fans of the series will be happy. An awesome manga that i would of gave a 92/100 or so, deserved more than the rush job that happened at the end.

Thankfully it is easily fixable with a couple mins of anime original material. Plus the mangaka could also have a more conclusive ending in the works with the bonus volume that will be released.

• Kim says:

Thanks :)

But even that much was more than I wanted to know about the ending.

• starry says:

Dude stop being a dick. Can’t you at least warn for spoilers if you have the uncontrollable urge to?

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

• Armpit says:

And just because a couple of butthurt immature people can whine about it, doesn’t mean you should.

4. Armpit says:

You are entitled to your opinion , even if it differs from mine. I don’t think the anime, or manga, are close to bad. However i will laugh hard if psgels gives this series even a 87.5/100 if they go with the manga ending. If he does then it is just him being a biased hypocrite like he has proven to be quite often recently

You can like the ending all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that it renders all of the angst and soap opera drama useless.The only [SPOILER] who ended up [SPOILER] were also the 2 least [SPOILER] from the series, and weren’t even really [SPOILER].

Of course there is supposed to be some bonus volume releasing that could give closure to it all, but i heard that the sen x kaoru story is done and that will focus on the other couple.

EDIT: No spoilers please.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Honestly I’ve gotten so used to this sort of thing I don’t even let it bother me much anymore. Though if the extra volume or anime does things better, fair enough all well and good.
      Psgels may give this the score you mentioned if he’s in a stance of overlooking problems with the show and feels theres enough to make up for it.
      Sen x Kaoru eh? heh I must say that does get my mind wandering a bit. lol

• AidanAK47 says:

I argue with Psgels at times(Ok, a lot of times) but Armpit I have to say you are being too much of a dick here. It’s easy to criticise the blogger from comments. Because you are a anonymous voice in a crowd you can say whatever you want without worry about being wrong or not. However Psgels post is the one everyone is analysing. If Psgels is wrong then he gets hell for it. People even bug him about spelling mistakes and mixing up names.
      We have to realise the fact that Psgels is human too.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Aidan, I don’t mean to be rude or offensive or anything but come on man, this issue was closed already, don’t draw it out any further, lets not gives arms anymore shite about this hey?

• Armpit says:

Calm down, breathe Kaiser. It is totally ok. For the record i didn’t just post spoilers intentionally to ruin shlt for people. I assumed that since i’ve seen spoilers in many of these threads before that they were allowed. I had just got done reading the last volume of the manga, and posted here a little bit after. I really wasn’t even thinking.

And i would never get mad at you Aidan bagel or whoever else i consider a friend for trying to keep me in check, or disagreeing with me.

And if we had the option to use spoiler tags i would of immediately put them up after the first person bitched.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I’ve thought about this for a bit…I did kinda overreact. I worry sometimes online though that if I don’t play it safe with how I phrase things someones going to see it coming off as rude.
            Sorry Aidan, kim I overeacted.

• Armpit says:

I think i come off rude frequently when in reality i’m not really trying to. It is just the way i type, and the habit of not re reading before i post.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Happens to me all the time in real life, mostly cause I’ve got a boring voice and squint all the time people think I’m depressed or angry…lol I feel like that guy from toradora now XD

5. Armpit says:

Haha i wasn’t saying Sen X Kaoru in a romantic sense, but that pairing is shipped quite often with the series :). I just meant the end of their arc since the main storyline is really about those 2.

And i love psgels, and have called him a hypocrite before. He is way more lenient with series aimed at females, or the feminine shows aimed at males. So i just like to screw around with him, but i think he knows i don’t mean it maliciously.

You just mentioned Gankutsuou in the shoutbox kaiser. The ending of this series is similar to that one in a certain way. I hated how there was no closure in Gankutsuou with the romance between the main male and you know who.Even worse they tease you with it at the very end only to give no definitive closure.The difference is in Gankutsuou romance wasn’t anything close to a main theme so i could overlook it somewhat. This series focused on nothing really other than music and romance so i expected a whole lot more out of the ending. It just came off as very lazy to me.

But it is easily fixable. It wasn’t like the entire ending was bad. I enjoyed almost all of the last volume up until it got close to the very end.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

While yes I think seeing characters end up together is a good thing, often in real life its possible that things don’t go anywhere or nothing comes of them.
      And I like that psgels is open mind enough to be a guy who like girly shows.
      Its been a bit since I saw Gankusuou but I remember the ending just feeling like a big nothing to me.

• Armpit says:

Then show that things didn’t work out, it doesn’t have to be a happy ending. Leaving an open ending works at times,but it hardly works all the time.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Hmm, that is a good point but some people get annoyed when things get shown too much, maybe some people think its condescending or un-necessary to go that far with showing things, in this case I don’t really mind a whole lot. Ah well its all subjective I guess.

6. Kim says:

@Kaiser Eoghan

That’s fine that a spoiler doesn’t bother you but it bothers me. If I wanted to be spoiled for the end of the series I would read the manga.

And even if it is just a little spoiler, people should not be discussing the end of the manga in the episode 8 thread.

7. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I’m sorry to butt in like this, but I really wish the beating on armpit would quit it here. I like the guy, I consider him an acquaintance on here a I like talking to and it kinda rubs me in a bad way to see him being hassled. Calling him a jerk and asshole isn’t the right way going about things.

• Kim says:

Perhaps calling him a jerk was going a bit far but perhaps you should read some of the things he called me in comparison.

It’s nice that you want to defend your friend and I respect that but I hardly think me complaining that he is posting end of the series spoilers is hassling him.

• Armpit says:

Ehh they don’t bother me. If Psgels wants these things spoiler free that is completely in his right. It is his site. He can’t just pick and choose when he wants to apply a rule however.

Btw i’ve only watched episode 8 of this show so i read quite a few spoilers in this thread. No music in the previous episode?

8. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think thats a bit of a problem with this show, I do like the characters and how their being handled but I want more music focus too.
    Kim I hope this isn’t a spoiler, I think the manga of apollon (I read the recent translated volume today) and I don’t think it has that same magic feel the series has had. Though I think volume 8 might change that!
    @Armpit:Sorry if I’m whiteknighting or it seems this way, I just want to try to stop an argument before it goes too far.

• Reverse says:

Ritsuko X Sen look promising “i want to marry u went you grow up promise”
      nope, it got destroy

the relationship between sen and Kaoru still better

less romance more music plz

Customize
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that
Anyone here listen to Dire Straits? I just in the mood for their music lately. Checked out the band playing Telegraph Road live the other day on youtube and I was completely stunned.
@Lenlo: I considered Flip Flappers 3,5,6 to be its best so far so continue on to see if Flip Flappers is your cup of tea or not
For me I have a lot of stuffs to catch up on this time a year, both in terms of anime and in my RL. Time goes fast as hell
Started watching Flip Flappers. Thought I had it figured out, then we got Mad Max going on. I may start liking it more, cause the first 2 eps didnt do much
Its also nearing Thanksgiving in the states and end of semester for University, so those sorts will be busier than usual.
You are far too young to be reminiscing. You can build a place for a community but you can't force one to come. I for one would think it would be easier to form one if people stopped using the Anon tag. You can change your name with the customize button you know.
I remember a time when people other than site admins were regular posters. Those were the days...
But I suppose watching Westworld isn't exactly a waste of time.
Downside is that I really don't have a lot of time these days. It's rather annoying. The day goes by and it doesn't really feel like you did anything.
On the upside, I am nearly finished Legend of the galactic heroes. So when the Remake airs next year I will have a lot to say about it.
Personally I have been rather busy lately and wanted to finish off a few things. Hence why my posts have been getting later.
Anyway when there's nothing on the chat box to talk about then of course it dries up.
You have unfortunate timing.
All the chat regulars have left house as well.
Four days since a single post.
Damn, I don't know if it's the layout/algorithm/mods, but so many subreddits that I used to frequent have gotten watered down as hell. Between the influx of shills and changes to the upvote/downvote system (which doesn't properly convey controversial comments anymore, like 45 upvotes to 47 downvotes. Now it shows only a -2) it's hard to find reasonable debates or find important info
@K-off: and for that book the last time I checked it was $110 for you guys who live US plus free shipping. For us it's $150 not incluing the postage and few weeks delivery.
Damn, I didn't realize that it could be that bad elsewhere. The worst experience I had was when I ordered a laser pointer from Switzerland over a forum, and the cunt didn't respond for nearly 4 weeks until I threatened to refund my $250 on PayPal.
@Mario, Europe. That's the difference.
@Aidan: yeah I got a dispatch notice saying it's shipping now. I ordered it back in September as well so I don't know why the difference between us.
I remember the days where I used to be relying on waiting for anime dvds to come out locally , looking back they were really overpriced, 35 euro for 4 or 5 episodes.
My opinion on FMA alchemist ended up being all over the place because I must have watched 3 episodes every few months of it, then I stopped watching it for a year, got back into it for a few months, abandoned it for months then marathoned 20 episodes in one night to get it finished.

Flip Flappers 09

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

occulticnine-08-4

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Flip Flappers 08c

Flip Flappers – 08 [Pure Breaker]

Yay, I’ve reached 100th post here at this site, and if you can probably tell from my still-clumsy writing this is also my first 100 blogging ever. This isn’t much to be completely frank but it’s a milestone for me nonetheless, as there had been a fair amount of commitment for the last 8 months […]

vlSound Eupho 2 - 08

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 08 [Rhapsody in Flu]

This week, the show delivers one of my favorite Eupho moments: as Kumiko and Reina quietly listen to the Euphonium CD, enjoying that little moments when the music is playing with drama or conflict yet to come. This little moment and the firework sequence back in the first episode are Sound Eupho at their best. […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-08-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 08[Sudden Event In Session!]

Blessed be the peacemaker, for she ups the body count. I don’t think it’s a surprise that Winterprison ended up dying while protecting Nana. But it is surprising that she managed to take down one of the twin angels before getting taken out. All the more surprising considering that the angels didn’t get a flashback […]

drifters-07-2

Drifters – 07[Chaos Diver]

Considering this is the first clash the Drifters had with the ends things went rather smoothly. They managed to take one down and send the other one packing. This really is what Drifters is best act, balls to the wall action and insanity. Admittedly I wish the animation is better as it does rely on […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373