Posted by psgels on 31 May 2012 with categories: Sakamichi no Apollon

This really was an episode that focused on the different romances going on, to the point where the first couple has been formed. The end of the episode is pretty much the point where this series goes back to being a love triangle, but a very messy one at that, with character A thinking that character B likes character C while she is growing to like character A more unbeknownst to him, at a point when character C has realized that she had a crush on him.

These love triangles are very easy to screw up and devolve into a soap opera, but what I really like is how the creators made use of Rituko’s character development to further complicate things, rather than pulling some random twist for the sake of drama. The way she came to like Kaoru after spending a lot of time with him, knowing he has a crush on her, while trying to move away from Sentarou… it’s plausible for all of this to happen: over the course of the past episodes we were given enough reasons for her change.

The problem I have with series about teenagers is that there are too many of them: it gets harder and harder to stand out. However, when one comes along that is as well acted as Apollon, I’ll gladly shove these biases aside. That doesn’t change the fact that I want to see more variety in anime, especially considering that “seinen”-series that are supposed to focus on young adults feature teenaged lead characters more often than not. I can’t really fault the creators for picking an excellent manga about teenagers and animating it incredibly well.

But still, we’re currently in a very important half year for Noitamina: these are four series that really need to do well after the Guilty Crown disaster. Apollon and Tsuritama for being really well executed. Natsuyuki and Moyashimon meanwhile need to succeed in order to prove that there still is an audience for series about adults.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Ritsuko says:

That episode was so full of clichés and annoying moments that it kind of ruined the achievment of the previous episode.

Also, no jazz in this episode, yet again…

2. Litho says:

I think I finally figured out why I don’t get annoyed with Apollon, despite having a strong dislike for teenage-romance anime in general.

Not really sure if I can put it in words, but I’ll try.
    When I watch Apollon, I can actually think of the characters as kids. When I watch other romance anime, all I see are 2D anime characters.

This particular episode might not be the best example, but one thing this show does well in previous eps is the way it uses silence. Characters don’t have to say much to convey their emotions/thoughts to the viewer. This was commonplace in many of the old anime, but you don’t see much of it anymore. These days, creators seem to prefer dialogue heavy stuff, either via extremely convoluted monologue like what you get from KyoAni, or pseudo-intelligent (emphasis on pseudo) drivel like in the WhateverGatari franchise. The subtlety I see in Apollon is nostalgic, almost “minimalist” to some extent.

3. Armpit says:

Wonder how psgels is going to feel about this anime in the end when he finds out that all the soap opera romance/angst ended up completely useless, and a waste of time, [SPOILER].

Unless of course they deviate and don’t follow the manga at the end.

Please don’t use spoilers from the manga! – psgels

• Litho says:

Strange. I got volume 9 delivered to me just a few days ago, and thought the ending was perfect. There were some bits I in the middle and final chapter I didn’t quite understand, but my Japanese isn’t really the best. Overall, I loved it and hope Watanabe does follow the manga as much as he can. Not going to spoil anything for psgels, but the ending is millenia better than the simple “who ends up with who” scenario, no question.

• Kim says:

Well thank you for spoiling the end of the series.

Some people are so inconsiderate of others!

• Armpit says:

Or maybe you shouldn’t read the comments if you don’t want to be spoiled. Spoilers don’t go out in the shoutbox because sometimes you can’t help,but see them. You chose with your own free will to click on this episode summary so cry me a river.

• Kim says:

Excuse me this is the ANIME post for episode 8 not a discussion about the manga.

I should be safe to read the comments because I watched this latest episode, talking about what happens after this episode in the manga is a spoiler.

And saying who (or who doesn’t) get with who is still a spoiler even if you did not spoil the details. So yes you were inconsiderate to anime only watchers.

• Armpit says:

aww poor baby. Did i cry when i literally read 20+ spoilers about HxH in these same summaries? No. Did i whine when i read numerous spoilers in the Mirai Nikki episode threads? No.

Stop reading the episode summaries if you want to be spoiler free.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

To be fair to armpit and in his defense you probably should have just ignored his post. I don’t feel all that annoyed by spoilers often they are an incentive for me to continue a series that maybe wasn’t really enaging me as much as it hoped, but finding it improves at a later point through a spoiler can get me back into it.

• Kim says:

No why don’t you stop being a jerk and posting spoilers.

I don’t really care if you were spoiled by other people for other series. They were wrong too. That does not give you the right to spoil other people in this thread.

This is a post about the anime so only the anime (or manga chapters that cover this episode) should be discussed.

• Armpit says:

And why is that? Because you say so? It was never a rule before , so why is it now? Psgels has never reprimanded people for spoilers in these summary posts, so again, explain to me how i am a jerk, yet you aren’t an entitled little brat who thinks everything should be your way or no way?

• Kim says:

@Armpit:

Actually you are wrong. Perhaps not for this series specifically but I know for a fact Psgels has complained countless times about spoilers in the comments since he does not read the manga for the series he is posting about.

• Armpit says:

Then he should make rules otherwise nothing can be done since he lets it go all the time. Just because it is his site means nothing. Without rules, and rules that are to be followed at all times, and not just when he feels like it, then the site would be run by nothing but a dictator.That is a quick way to lose a large portion of the people who visit his site.

So again until i see an official rule posted somewhere about this i’ll just ignore you, or continue to rile you up because you act like a baby and it amuses me.

Cried that river yet?

• Kim says:

@Armpit

Even if there are no rules written down perhaps you don’t realize it is common courtesy to not spoil other people.

• psgels psgels says:

Actually, I have complained countless of times for people to leave spoilers of the original material out of these comments. Hunter X Hunter is just an exception where there is too much going on for me to really regulate it. But with most adaptations, I really don’t appreciate spoilers.

Also, if you’re bothered by the spoilers for Hunter X Hunter: let me know, because then I’ll try to keep those out oft hese comments as well. I admit that this is partially my fault, because I have been a bit lazy with removing them, but with this I’ll moderate them more carefully.

So yeah, thank you for first spoiling the ending, and then being an asshole about it.

• Litho says:

Don’t worry Kim, he/she didn’t really spoil anything.

• Armpit says:

Nope i tried to stay away from the intricate details and just talked about it in a vague sense. Not to mention there is a good chance the anime won’t follow the manga 100% anyway. If the anime adds 5 mins of material after the manga ends, then a lot more fans of the series will be happy. An awesome manga that i would of gave a 92/100 or so, deserved more than the rush job that happened at the end.

Thankfully it is easily fixable with a couple mins of anime original material. Plus the mangaka could also have a more conclusive ending in the works with the bonus volume that will be released.

• Kim says:

Thanks :)

But even that much was more than I wanted to know about the ending.

• starry says:

Dude stop being a dick. Can’t you at least warn for spoilers if you have the uncontrollable urge to?

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

• Armpit says:

And just because a couple of butthurt immature people can whine about it, doesn’t mean you should.

4. Armpit says:

You are entitled to your opinion , even if it differs from mine. I don’t think the anime, or manga, are close to bad. However i will laugh hard if psgels gives this series even a 87.5/100 if they go with the manga ending. If he does then it is just him being a biased hypocrite like he has proven to be quite often recently

You can like the ending all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that it renders all of the angst and soap opera drama useless.The only [SPOILER] who ended up [SPOILER] were also the 2 least [SPOILER] from the series, and weren’t even really [SPOILER].

Of course there is supposed to be some bonus volume releasing that could give closure to it all, but i heard that the sen x kaoru story is done and that will focus on the other couple.

EDIT: No spoilers please.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Honestly I’ve gotten so used to this sort of thing I don’t even let it bother me much anymore. Though if the extra volume or anime does things better, fair enough all well and good.
      Psgels may give this the score you mentioned if he’s in a stance of overlooking problems with the show and feels theres enough to make up for it.
      Sen x Kaoru eh? heh I must say that does get my mind wandering a bit. lol

• AidanAK47 says:

I argue with Psgels at times(Ok, a lot of times) but Armpit I have to say you are being too much of a dick here. It’s easy to criticise the blogger from comments. Because you are a anonymous voice in a crowd you can say whatever you want without worry about being wrong or not. However Psgels post is the one everyone is analysing. If Psgels is wrong then he gets hell for it. People even bug him about spelling mistakes and mixing up names.
      We have to realise the fact that Psgels is human too.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Aidan, I don’t mean to be rude or offensive or anything but come on man, this issue was closed already, don’t draw it out any further, lets not gives arms anymore shite about this hey?

• Armpit says:

Calm down, breathe Kaiser. It is totally ok. For the record i didn’t just post spoilers intentionally to ruin shlt for people. I assumed that since i’ve seen spoilers in many of these threads before that they were allowed. I had just got done reading the last volume of the manga, and posted here a little bit after. I really wasn’t even thinking.

And i would never get mad at you Aidan bagel or whoever else i consider a friend for trying to keep me in check, or disagreeing with me.

And if we had the option to use spoiler tags i would of immediately put them up after the first person bitched.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I’ve thought about this for a bit…I did kinda overreact. I worry sometimes online though that if I don’t play it safe with how I phrase things someones going to see it coming off as rude.
            Sorry Aidan, kim I overeacted.

• Armpit says:

I think i come off rude frequently when in reality i’m not really trying to. It is just the way i type, and the habit of not re reading before i post.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Happens to me all the time in real life, mostly cause I’ve got a boring voice and squint all the time people think I’m depressed or angry…lol I feel like that guy from toradora now XD

5. Armpit says:

Haha i wasn’t saying Sen X Kaoru in a romantic sense, but that pairing is shipped quite often with the series :). I just meant the end of their arc since the main storyline is really about those 2.

And i love psgels, and have called him a hypocrite before. He is way more lenient with series aimed at females, or the feminine shows aimed at males. So i just like to screw around with him, but i think he knows i don’t mean it maliciously.

You just mentioned Gankutsuou in the shoutbox kaiser. The ending of this series is similar to that one in a certain way. I hated how there was no closure in Gankutsuou with the romance between the main male and you know who.Even worse they tease you with it at the very end only to give no definitive closure.The difference is in Gankutsuou romance wasn’t anything close to a main theme so i could overlook it somewhat. This series focused on nothing really other than music and romance so i expected a whole lot more out of the ending. It just came off as very lazy to me.

But it is easily fixable. It wasn’t like the entire ending was bad. I enjoyed almost all of the last volume up until it got close to the very end.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

While yes I think seeing characters end up together is a good thing, often in real life its possible that things don’t go anywhere or nothing comes of them.
      And I like that psgels is open mind enough to be a guy who like girly shows.
      Its been a bit since I saw Gankusuou but I remember the ending just feeling like a big nothing to me.

• Armpit says:

Then show that things didn’t work out, it doesn’t have to be a happy ending. Leaving an open ending works at times,but it hardly works all the time.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Hmm, that is a good point but some people get annoyed when things get shown too much, maybe some people think its condescending or un-necessary to go that far with showing things, in this case I don’t really mind a whole lot. Ah well its all subjective I guess.

6. Kim says:

@Kaiser Eoghan

That’s fine that a spoiler doesn’t bother you but it bothers me. If I wanted to be spoiled for the end of the series I would read the manga.

And even if it is just a little spoiler, people should not be discussing the end of the manga in the episode 8 thread.

7. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I’m sorry to butt in like this, but I really wish the beating on armpit would quit it here. I like the guy, I consider him an acquaintance on here a I like talking to and it kinda rubs me in a bad way to see him being hassled. Calling him a jerk and asshole isn’t the right way going about things.

• Kim says:

Perhaps calling him a jerk was going a bit far but perhaps you should read some of the things he called me in comparison.

It’s nice that you want to defend your friend and I respect that but I hardly think me complaining that he is posting end of the series spoilers is hassling him.

• Armpit says:

Ehh they don’t bother me. If Psgels wants these things spoiler free that is completely in his right. It is his site. He can’t just pick and choose when he wants to apply a rule however.

Btw i’ve only watched episode 8 of this show so i read quite a few spoilers in this thread. No music in the previous episode?

8. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think thats a bit of a problem with this show, I do like the characters and how their being handled but I want more music focus too.
    Kim I hope this isn’t a spoiler, I think the manga of apollon (I read the recent translated volume today) and I don’t think it has that same magic feel the series has had. Though I think volume 8 might change that!
    @Armpit:Sorry if I’m whiteknighting or it seems this way, I just want to try to stop an argument before it goes too far.

• Reverse says:

Ritsuko X Sen look promising “i want to marry u went you grow up promise”
      nope, it got destroy

the relationship between sen and Kaoru still better

less romance more music plz

Well they were a good series of episodes, so guess it was a success
@Lenlo, Already has got one. Second season with 8 episodes is coming. Honestly makes me think that it's really the rest of season one and these four episodes were gauging the audience.
I believe it has been re-newed.
@Aidan, yeah. Its way better than I thought. The VA for some characters is just great, I actually liked Belmont alot. I really hope it gets a 2nd season, because Dracula was also great
@Mario, Well you do write for STAR CROSSED anime blog. Maybe that's a factor.
@Aidan: "What is a man" huh? It's fun to listen to actually :)
I can't believe it myself... but I get sucked into the story of Koi to Uso. Yesterday was reading the manga until 2am (and I hd to wake up at 6.30 for work). SINCE WHEN FORCED CONTRIVED STAR-CROSSED ROMANCE BECOME MY THING? I blame those big eyes.
I mean the best game in the series has dialogue like this:
@Masky, Castlevaina games are never played for their story. If anything the story is usually the weakest element. When I heard of this series before I thought it was ridiculous because the story of the games was too weak to make into a good story.
Better than any right to be? Like I know that video game adaptions usually suck, but surely that doesn't mean that being video game adaption itself is qualification for being bad? :p
I will see if I can do a write up on Castlevaina tommarrow but yeah for a video game adaption it's better than it has any right to be. I think the reason for that is Warren Ellis.
Castlevania actually has good action scenes too. Very pretty.
The Netflix Castlevania series, one episode in so far, is actually pretty good. It does justice to the old series, more than any other videogame adaptation ive seen.
And I know this is way off the mark but whenever I hear Baltimore I'm thinking of Beach House band
@Lenlo: I feel you that the action scenes feel no weight.
Three degrees of Nazi. We always get there somehow
The story seems setting up to repeat to me as well, with the mutant/normie racial problems. Hopefully the Reflection event/mystery over takes that though.
@Kaiser: Vatican's mysteries have gotten to a ridiculous level. This week throws up sexual abuse, drug use, corruption and somehow Nazis are involved as well. It's just too much for me
They could have kept the comic book feel though by doing what Ping Pong did, with the panel layouts. I feel the low framerate did nothing but hurt it. Had the action scenes been done differently it could have worked, but it was a traditional fight scene so it didnt work.
Speaking of 18if, I still consider that show an experiment wreck, but a fascinating wreck it will
I don't really mind the low frame rate in the Reflection. I think the choice is deliberated to resemble the comic motion. I'm more worried about the story as they have some random fights that I feel even more dreamy than 18if
@Kaiser, I quite liked the Reflections art but the animation, or lack thereof, held it back.
Once again my anime taste falls in with Marios =P
Though you can only imagine if shinbo or Yuasa were to work on 18...if.
Although I do think 18..if is exactly what I need right now, I am not certain it will top flipflappers.
The premise for ballroom is of no interest to me.
I’m hearing Vatican is quite silly in a campy horror way
which appeals to me.
While visually the show seemed to improve with episode 3, I wasn’t all that emotionally invested with that story.
I would take this protagonist over IdiotMCx100 any day.
18..if is the most interesting thing I’ve looked into so far, largely due to it being the most un-conventional/abnormal, the concept interests me and poor as the animation is , the worlds it shows/creates, the imagination of the show gets close to forgiving that, as it was the most macabre, episode 2 has been my favourite so far.
I’ve begun (at last)checking out some of the series airing this season.
The reflections style is complete push away/turn off for me. I feel made in abyss could grow into something and I’d like it to actually properly get going/start, the buildup is slightly dull.
@Vonter Graces is nothing compared to the pandering mess that Symphonia 2 was. Just embarrassing.
"There's a white house waiting for us in Casablanca" haha, can't help but laugh at its wordplay
Im planning on mentioning it, but yeah. Alot of the combat didnt really have an 'impact' to them. There are other shows, like Ping Pong, that I think do this sort of style better, if alittle differently.
I think the main issue was the animation being kind of simple, the scenes didnt have 'motion'
@Anon, yeah The Reflection moved at the pace of a glacier. The art style was unique and should have lead to good looking fights, but instead it moved at the pace of a glacier. Ill have a write up on it later today
very nice episode of Virgin Soul. Really liked seeing Favoro look like Favoro again.
Tales of Graces sadly might have the most childish, and pandering story of the series.
AidanAK47 - Tales of Graces worked around having to both attack and defend to continue attacking. If just attacked you made less and weaker attacks. It was a way of cooldown that was more reliant on the player thinking about the attacks it used. Later games followed a more typical cooldown and combined special attacks with the regular ones.
Reflection was kinda painful to watch, I didn't expect anything in the first place and was disappointed nonetheless.
I cant snowboard or ski at all so its ok.
I did hit my head on the ground (for the first time) but I was lucky that I was wearing helmet. I curse S turn
@lenlo: it's fun but it's a lot of pain as well.
Sounds like fun
I'm literally covered in snow right now with my butt numbed. Will get back home in few hours to catch up on 18if
Havnt had the chance to watch it yet, but Reflection apparently looks like a comic book but has weird fight scenes? Ill get that write up tomorrow once I watch it tonight.
*hear
Jesus Christ what happened to my spelling
That's one of the things that mainly turned me off. The battle system is essentially button mashing.
The regular complaint I here from Tales of naysayers is a dislike of the battle mechanics/system.
I avoided the anime adaptations of the tales games mostly because I assumed they presumed previous knowledge of the games. I actually only saw Phantasia due to having been familiar with the games story when I was younger.
HelghastKillzone
No Re:Creators this week. I get a week off which is good since I'm stuck on an army base.
@K-Off, A lot of people say Vesperia is their favorite as well. I only have played Abyss so far and was really not impressed with it.
@Kaiser Damn, Detective Conan has a long way to go then.
Phantasia was my first Tales game (and its anime is the best amongst anything after) but Symphonia really did take it to another level. In general I think most fans will agree with Symphonia, Abyss, and Xillia in their favorites.
I believe Kochikame is the longest running manga of all time 1,960 chapters, 200 volumes, actually does have a record.
@Aidan I remember you saying how it's funny that no two fans of Tales will have the same favorite title. But that's definitely because Tales has changed very little over the years, and they've always been solid games, and so for most fans they'll remember the first title they played.
@Vonter With you there. The art direction in Tales hasn't been really that exciting since Xillia, and as a long time fan of the series I finally got sick of the gameplay after Vesperia.
Jeez, detective Conan is reaching its 1000th chapter. Pretty sure it's a milestone for some Guinness record.
*Embarassing
**Here
I also agree about complaints made about the mumbled dialogue when it does occur.
I think thin red line is a good thing to bring up hear as throughout much of Dunkirk I was thinking about how much more Mallick's film did for me, how I should have been re-watching that instead.
Yet at the same time I couldn't connect with it, it became repetitive, disjointed and the shots/Zimmer score towards the end were embaeassing.
There were definitely aspects to praise, to be fair there is no shortage of action, it eschews exposition and tries to visually immerse the viewer to make them feel as if they are present.
Im ready. Reflection comes on tomorrow, so heres hopin its worth it
it was trash. just british propaganda
I finished Tales of Berseria. And I'm conflicted. I really liked the story and the characters, essentially a Tales of were the story is told form the perspective of the villains. I also saw the episodes Ufotable made of the beginning of the game, and I want moar. It's was a waste as game, considering the archaic and dull game design. It mainly came up to buying time in regards to things to play.
I also watched it. I thought it was a great war film. Very intense and unrelenting, but still at points the images reminded me of Thin Red Line. My only quip was the end. The film did a great job in getting me to feel the hopelessness the soldiers felt. So great that the attempt at making a "happy" end was forced and fell flat. Beyond that I liked it.
I already lost interest when I saw Inception which I didn't really like. My favorite Nolan movie will always be Memento.
Eh, saw Dunkirk, I think at this point I'm done with giving Nolan any more chances, this like his other works, I can appreciate them to some extent but come away honestly not giving a damn.
and this week's Sakura Quest is damn great as well... This backstory of Chitose and Kadota rocks
Just watching the 2nd episode of Gamers, It was actually pretty good. I can't believe they fleshing out that annoying hot guy into such a relatable guy.
I recall the extent of my interest in Linkin park in my early teens was strictly the breaking the habit video and that was it.
The frontman of Linkin Park commited suicide by hanging himself... sad news. Never been his fan but I feel sad nonetheless
Actually forgot with all the impressions and whatnot but I do believe we said we would review the Castlevania Netflix series. Now that everything has calmed down I will see if I can do a write up next week.
I was busy trying to discern whether the story had any point besides "Life is shit"
Again, while I enjoyed punpun, the excessive internal narration, when marathoned, I had to take a break.
Come to think of it, I don't even have a phone that does that, haven't bought a new one since 2004.
Ah, you see I could never force myself to browse/type/use the internet on a phone, too used to using a desktop exclusively for that.
Oh bloody hell. Stupid phone autocorrect. Yeah I meant Punpun.
@Aidan: Read Freesia.
umi no onnanoko is probably the exact thing ninjarealist would be interested in.
*oyasumi punpun
I found it alot more accessible than nijigahara holograph. deded-demon-destruction while enjoyable, is beneath him. Solanin is probably his easiest work.
I assume you man oyasui punpun. Its been about five years since I read in, the final couple of volumes stay in my mind the most, all the stuff with him, the girl and his uncle also, I love Asano Inios art and the surreal elements but I got lost/bored somewhere in the middle and most of the other side characters and the cult thing I didn't really care about.
Finished reading Goodnight Pumping. Really not sure on what to think of it. The story kept me reading but it just felt really empty.
There are 2 Nyaa's now. This one is considered the 'real' one: https://nyaa.si
Looks like anirena is down for me. Although it looks like nyaa went back up as this: https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/
Aidan: Fate/Apocrypha, Made in Abyss, Kakegurui
Mario: Princess Principal, 18if, Youkoso
Lenlo: Touken Ranbu, The Reflection
Wooper: Ballroom, Shoukoku no Altair
Helghast: Re:Creators
Note: I'm deciding to take Classroom of the Elite as my third show to cover. So, for this season we are covering 11 shows.
Just to end, it kind of shows than even if a story is predictable on where it is going. Characters can make up for that, if they're funny, interesting, and perhaps not agreeing all the time and having different agendas and points of view despite all sharing the same boat.
Yet as a game Tales hasn't felt deep since Symphonia, (at least from the ones I've played). I'm wondering if it'll leave me wanting check the anime of Zestiria, since apparently Berseria is a prequel to that game. And many say the anime is better than the game. (I can see why).
I also like the reused Tales beats from Phantasia and Berseria. It those have moments like when Lloyd was exiled and Cless had his village attacked. It has clear antagonists unlike Vesperia, and trying harder than the cartoony villains of Graces.
I've been playing Tales of Berseria, and it seems to be the anti Tales of Graces. In which I'm caring about the story and characters, but the gameplay is a drag. This is the first time I've been autoplaying an JRPG. But unlike Gravity Rush 2, I'm not dropping it because I'm liking the interactions of these characters even if it gets, campy, overdramatic, or edgy.
I mean I watch anime and films subtitled but sometimes my reading speed can be slow if theres a lot of dialogue.
Eh, I do that sometimes, mostly to check for message updates or on occasion to read reviews of what I am watching or to download more/check downloads.
For instance, I watched Okja yesterday and I had to take 15', 20' minute break in between for snack, surfing webs and playing mobile games...
I watched Fanny and Alexander... don't really remember which version I watched thou. I think it's a TV version since it divides into 4 separate parts
@Kaiser: it just that... my attention span has shortened greatly and I just can't stay focus on movies over an hour mark. In cinema, it's alright since you can't move anywhere but now it's abig task to finish a 2 hour and a half movie for me
And is good enough to keep up the quality for that long.
I'll say this, for every medium, to me the length of something isn't so much the issue, if you have a writer good enough to keep something going for ages then the length shouldn't be an issue.
@Mario: If something goes over three hours I treat it as a miniseries and watch one hour or two a day.
@Mario: lol if you thought thats long, have you seen the extended versions of scenes from a marriage and fanny & alexander by Bergman? I can't wait to get my hands on the tv versions I hear they're completely different.
Okja is pretty entertaining with pointed social commentary. I don't really feel Tilda Swinton's double roles add up much but everything else is great. Bong has never disappointed me
@Kaiser: good luck with Satantango then. I guess now if I watch an 8-hour long film it would take me a whole week to finish it :/
Made in abyss and vatican keep staring at me. Although I'm not chancing them yet or anything else until I hear a bit more.
My once massive film backlog is nearly cleared. I can try watching stuff this season hopefully.
Same boat here. For the first time in a long time I spent almost half the day catching up on all of my manga.
@Mario: I'll have two weeks leave, I will finally watch Satantango, all eight hours of that film.
I did a double take when I saw this. One of these things is not like the other.... http://gematsu.com/2017/07/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-announced
Well, finally have a bit of precious free time to watch something else and I have too much things to watch. Castlevania, the final Kizumonogatari movie, live-action Okja and some books planned to read... I guess I'll go with Okja today
Ninja
Looking forward to that Dies review
Yaaay! Time to enjoy your blogging time
And now we are up to date. Just need to finally get that Dies Irae Review posted.
Then again I'll watch almost every horror film I can, don't even mind the awful acting most have.
Pet cemetary was a guilty pleasure of mine when I was a teenager.
I don't know how I'd feel if I rewatched salems lot, although a positive is that it did have James Mason in it and it was done in that 70s style of slow burn horror that I love.
The IT film has aged horribly and thats one case where I would advocate a remake.
Stand by me was a perftly watchable coming of age film and it surprised me, seeing a non-horror King story.
Okay theres one way to settle this =P Lovecraft > all of them ;) I have actually enjoyed some King adaptations even though I know the Shining took liberties , I also enjoyed Carrie and Apt Pupil.
@Kaiser, please. Early King > Richard Matheson > Modern King. Kings early works were good.
@Aidan, its true that Monty was the mind behind the fights. Sad, but I think the other directors are starting to come into their own instead of trying to copy Monty.
But we all know Richard Matheson > King.
He did some collabs with Stephen King I believe.
Like the dead films he's trying to be thematic, although this one is clumsily put together, I kind of like how it hybridizes the 50s with 70s style exploitation, it has its moments.
hmmm the only non Dead trilogy film I've seen by Romero is the Crazies, feels like he's still finding his voice with it.
@Lenlo, Part of the reason is that they started using better animation software. But despite that there was a downgrade in fight chorgraphy when Monty died. Though the story I find is getting better.
@Kinseryu, I think it's ridiculous to everyone but there are those that choose to ignore it.
@Anon, That's a bit harsh. It is true that his later works never truly panned out but he did pretty much popularise the zombie apoc. Even if Day of the Triffids did it before him.
Every season RWBY gets just a little bit prettier. Rooster Teeth really does have some of the better 3D animation skills out there.
goerge romero was a hack trying desperate to stay relevant.
Kinseryu
Tenshi3P... I thought it was just me that this show was just ridiculous by putting three ten years old girl that knows how to play electrical instruments. They are insulting the people who plays these. But good thing I found this site with your first impression. I laughed and I feel better. Lol.
@Kaiser: he passed away? damn. He was the Father of Zombie genre. So like him or hate him, he was influential to say the least. RIP.
Kaiser_Eoghan
...holy shit George A Romero died? Now I have to watch the rest of his films.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Rei Hiroe is really dicking around with black lagoon lately, he's still releasing wasted chapters, just like re:creators, the most recent chapter of black lagoon was a slog.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Maybe the conversation and lives of others could sort of count as espionage stories to an extent.
Kaiser_Eoghan
If you're interested in spy fiction, Spy who came in from the cold, most wanted man, Smiley's people, deadly affair and tinker tailor soldier spy are your best bet.
@Travlos (regarding yoir earlier comment): yeah, it hit me as well that most of regular readers have been here even longer than myself. So thanks for sticking around mates
@Travlos: playing catch up with both Re:Creators and Virgin Soul yesterday. Agreed that last week's Re:Creators was weak because it focused on the Creators (they're not good) but last episode was on par again. Virgin Soul, I loved that episode that the girls go bacl to Nina's hometown
@anon1272074: I still haven't had the time to watch Pripri yet (probably in few more hours), but you bet I'm looking forward to it
Anonymous1272074
Then again, James Bond does count as a spy. I meant not a realistic one.
Anonymous1272074
Princess Principal 2 was pretty good. Still more James Bond via little girls than spies, but this episode was more about intrigue and stuff than action.
Started catching up with Kakegurui. The OP is the sort of mind games I remember from Mob Psycho. Dunno what that means for the show, but I like it.
Quite happy with this week's RE:Creators. Blitz is cool, Aliceteria looked so scary. It washed out the taste of last week's episode.

Bahamut is going interesting places.
BTW. Speaking of spies from Princess Principal. I watch TURN. That is a good spy show.
I mean you see the use of those heavy revolvers as clubs in westerns. Mythbusters did a experiment, and being hit by one could kill you just fine. But in anime, I do not remember seeing it often
Homura used Gun-kata in the fight against Mami in Rebellion. Can't think of anyone who exclusively uses it though. After all Gun-Kata is more or less a flashy art that has no real benefit.
amazing!
Is Gun Kata the fighting style of Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue? I suppose I'm mainly thinking about how guns are handled in fighting games. Where the shots are mainly concussive. I suppose those are mainly energy blasts.
Ranbu took a step in the right direction I feel. Used the morals of whether or not to change history and it focused in on one of its characters.
Final Fantasy has had some gun swords. Cant think of any with guns in melee though. There are some with gun-kata like cowboy bebop though
Just for curiosity, have anyone watched an anime, movie or game that uses a gun as a melee weapon. Or one in which the gun is mainly concussive but still has impact?
Spike
18if ep2 was a bit wacky... main character seems to be off his rocker.
Alright. Time to finally play catch up with those series I need to blog.
But at the same time acknowledging love for creativity is more important in the end than making a profit.

Kakegurui- 04[The Woman Who Became Livestock]

I could make it point to go on about how ridiculous it is for a school to allow a student to carry a firearm or putting forward a life plan which I am fairly certain is a clear violation of human rights but honestly that dead horse has been beaten enough. In Kakegurui this is […]

Made in Abyss – 03[Departure]

This episode looks to be setting up the big adventure to guide us through the rest of the season but I really cannot comment enough on how much of a terrible idea it is. Riko is pure rookie when it comes to abyss diving and here she is deciding to take on the challenge of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 04[Price of life, Redemption of Death]

There are many things that can lead to one anime downfall but even with certain weaknesses in area a anime can shine through. Berserk 1997 showed that a strong story can make up for a powerpoint level of animation. Tatami Galaxy showed that even with lacking art a compelling story can be told.(I am sorry […]

Princess Principal – 03 [Case 2 Vice Voice]

We have another fun action-spy time this week. While this week isn’t as great as the week before, the decision to group the girls in different pairings make this one entertaining to watch. This means Ange is pairing up with Beatrice, and the Princess with Dorothy (just to make it more consistent I will address […]

18if – 03 [The Witch of First Love]

At this point, I wholly expect 18if to bring different approach, have different style on its same themes each passing week. This week, they indeed pulled a very different episode from its first two. It was a fascinating episode. I said “fascinating” because if I’m gonna mark this week as a standalone episode (or as […]

The Reflection -1 [Ceremony]

Its a bit late in the season, but The Reflection is just getting started. Sadly, it feels like more time in the oven was yet needed. Thought up by Stan Lee and directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, lets dive right in. Because of the substantial difference in quality between them, I am going to break this […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 4 [What I Wanted to Protect]

This is a good week for Ranbu, as it starts to hit its stride. A new mission begins, some quiet character moments occur and finally a whole new cast member is introduced! We open in a rather unexpected manner, our party fleeing from a group of police. I was expecting a relaxing, beach like episode, […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 03 [Dance the Waltz]

Well, there’s no going back now. Ballroom just went full sports anime, and it cut the brake lines for good measure. After the relative nuance of last week’s character introduction, the newest episode treated us to more fanservice, more contrivance, and more shounen formula than the last two combined. Sports series have really stepped up […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 03 [The Council of Generals]

With this episode, Altair’s first arc comes to a close. Mahmut Pasha, teenage prodigy and commander of eagles, is now simply Tughril Mahmut, a disgraced former general set to leave Turkiye on a journey of discovery. Though its main character didn’t fare so well this week, I thought the show wrapped everything up nicely in […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100