Posted by psgels on 31 May 2012 with categories: Sakamichi no Apollon

This really was an episode that focused on the different romances going on, to the point where the first couple has been formed. The end of the episode is pretty much the point where this series goes back to being a love triangle, but a very messy one at that, with character A thinking that character B likes character C while she is growing to like character A more unbeknownst to him, at a point when character C has realized that she had a crush on him.

These love triangles are very easy to screw up and devolve into a soap opera, but what I really like is how the creators made use of Rituko’s character development to further complicate things, rather than pulling some random twist for the sake of drama. The way she came to like Kaoru after spending a lot of time with him, knowing he has a crush on her, while trying to move away from Sentarou… it’s plausible for all of this to happen: over the course of the past episodes we were given enough reasons for her change.

The problem I have with series about teenagers is that there are too many of them: it gets harder and harder to stand out. However, when one comes along that is as well acted as Apollon, I’ll gladly shove these biases aside. That doesn’t change the fact that I want to see more variety in anime, especially considering that “seinen”-series that are supposed to focus on young adults feature teenaged lead characters more often than not. I can’t really fault the creators for picking an excellent manga about teenagers and animating it incredibly well.

But still, we’re currently in a very important half year for Noitamina: these are four series that really need to do well after the Guilty Crown disaster. Apollon and Tsuritama for being really well executed. Natsuyuki and Moyashimon meanwhile need to succeed in order to prove that there still is an audience for series about adults.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Ritsuko says:

That episode was so full of clichés and annoying moments that it kind of ruined the achievment of the previous episode.

Also, no jazz in this episode, yet again…

2. Litho says:

I think I finally figured out why I don’t get annoyed with Apollon, despite having a strong dislike for teenage-romance anime in general.

Not really sure if I can put it in words, but I’ll try.
    When I watch Apollon, I can actually think of the characters as kids. When I watch other romance anime, all I see are 2D anime characters.

This particular episode might not be the best example, but one thing this show does well in previous eps is the way it uses silence. Characters don’t have to say much to convey their emotions/thoughts to the viewer. This was commonplace in many of the old anime, but you don’t see much of it anymore. These days, creators seem to prefer dialogue heavy stuff, either via extremely convoluted monologue like what you get from KyoAni, or pseudo-intelligent (emphasis on pseudo) drivel like in the WhateverGatari franchise. The subtlety I see in Apollon is nostalgic, almost “minimalist” to some extent.

3. Armpit says:

Wonder how psgels is going to feel about this anime in the end when he finds out that all the soap opera romance/angst ended up completely useless, and a waste of time, [SPOILER].

Unless of course they deviate and don’t follow the manga at the end.

Please don’t use spoilers from the manga! – psgels

• Litho says:

Strange. I got volume 9 delivered to me just a few days ago, and thought the ending was perfect. There were some bits I in the middle and final chapter I didn’t quite understand, but my Japanese isn’t really the best. Overall, I loved it and hope Watanabe does follow the manga as much as he can. Not going to spoil anything for psgels, but the ending is millenia better than the simple “who ends up with who” scenario, no question.

• Kim says:

Well thank you for spoiling the end of the series.

Some people are so inconsiderate of others!

• Armpit says:

Or maybe you shouldn’t read the comments if you don’t want to be spoiled. Spoilers don’t go out in the shoutbox because sometimes you can’t help,but see them. You chose with your own free will to click on this episode summary so cry me a river.

• Kim says:

Excuse me this is the ANIME post for episode 8 not a discussion about the manga.

I should be safe to read the comments because I watched this latest episode, talking about what happens after this episode in the manga is a spoiler.

And saying who (or who doesn’t) get with who is still a spoiler even if you did not spoil the details. So yes you were inconsiderate to anime only watchers.

• Armpit says:

aww poor baby. Did i cry when i literally read 20+ spoilers about HxH in these same summaries? No. Did i whine when i read numerous spoilers in the Mirai Nikki episode threads? No.

Stop reading the episode summaries if you want to be spoiler free.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

To be fair to armpit and in his defense you probably should have just ignored his post. I don’t feel all that annoyed by spoilers often they are an incentive for me to continue a series that maybe wasn’t really enaging me as much as it hoped, but finding it improves at a later point through a spoiler can get me back into it.

• Kim says:

No why don’t you stop being a jerk and posting spoilers.

I don’t really care if you were spoiled by other people for other series. They were wrong too. That does not give you the right to spoil other people in this thread.

This is a post about the anime so only the anime (or manga chapters that cover this episode) should be discussed.

• Armpit says:

And why is that? Because you say so? It was never a rule before , so why is it now? Psgels has never reprimanded people for spoilers in these summary posts, so again, explain to me how i am a jerk, yet you aren’t an entitled little brat who thinks everything should be your way or no way?

• Kim says:

@Armpit:

Actually you are wrong. Perhaps not for this series specifically but I know for a fact Psgels has complained countless times about spoilers in the comments since he does not read the manga for the series he is posting about.

• Armpit says:

Then he should make rules otherwise nothing can be done since he lets it go all the time. Just because it is his site means nothing. Without rules, and rules that are to be followed at all times, and not just when he feels like it, then the site would be run by nothing but a dictator.That is a quick way to lose a large portion of the people who visit his site.

So again until i see an official rule posted somewhere about this i’ll just ignore you, or continue to rile you up because you act like a baby and it amuses me.

Cried that river yet?

• Kim says:

@Armpit

Even if there are no rules written down perhaps you don’t realize it is common courtesy to not spoil other people.

• psgels psgels says:

Actually, I have complained countless of times for people to leave spoilers of the original material out of these comments. Hunter X Hunter is just an exception where there is too much going on for me to really regulate it. But with most adaptations, I really don’t appreciate spoilers.

Also, if you’re bothered by the spoilers for Hunter X Hunter: let me know, because then I’ll try to keep those out oft hese comments as well. I admit that this is partially my fault, because I have been a bit lazy with removing them, but with this I’ll moderate them more carefully.

So yeah, thank you for first spoiling the ending, and then being an asshole about it.

• Litho says:

Don’t worry Kim, he/she didn’t really spoil anything.

• Armpit says:

Nope i tried to stay away from the intricate details and just talked about it in a vague sense. Not to mention there is a good chance the anime won’t follow the manga 100% anyway. If the anime adds 5 mins of material after the manga ends, then a lot more fans of the series will be happy. An awesome manga that i would of gave a 92/100 or so, deserved more than the rush job that happened at the end.

Thankfully it is easily fixable with a couple mins of anime original material. Plus the mangaka could also have a more conclusive ending in the works with the bonus volume that will be released.

• Kim says:

Thanks :)

But even that much was more than I wanted to know about the ending.

• starry says:

Dude stop being a dick. Can’t you at least warn for spoilers if you have the uncontrollable urge to?

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

• Armpit says:

And just because a couple of butthurt immature people can whine about it, doesn’t mean you should.

4. Armpit says:

You are entitled to your opinion , even if it differs from mine. I don’t think the anime, or manga, are close to bad. However i will laugh hard if psgels gives this series even a 87.5/100 if they go with the manga ending. If he does then it is just him being a biased hypocrite like he has proven to be quite often recently

You can like the ending all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that it renders all of the angst and soap opera drama useless.The only [SPOILER] who ended up [SPOILER] were also the 2 least [SPOILER] from the series, and weren’t even really [SPOILER].

Of course there is supposed to be some bonus volume releasing that could give closure to it all, but i heard that the sen x kaoru story is done and that will focus on the other couple.

EDIT: No spoilers please.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Honestly I’ve gotten so used to this sort of thing I don’t even let it bother me much anymore. Though if the extra volume or anime does things better, fair enough all well and good.
      Psgels may give this the score you mentioned if he’s in a stance of overlooking problems with the show and feels theres enough to make up for it.
      Sen x Kaoru eh? heh I must say that does get my mind wandering a bit. lol

• AidanAK47 says:

I argue with Psgels at times(Ok, a lot of times) but Armpit I have to say you are being too much of a dick here. It’s easy to criticise the blogger from comments. Because you are a anonymous voice in a crowd you can say whatever you want without worry about being wrong or not. However Psgels post is the one everyone is analysing. If Psgels is wrong then he gets hell for it. People even bug him about spelling mistakes and mixing up names.
      We have to realise the fact that Psgels is human too.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Aidan, I don’t mean to be rude or offensive or anything but come on man, this issue was closed already, don’t draw it out any further, lets not gives arms anymore shite about this hey?

• Armpit says:

Calm down, breathe Kaiser. It is totally ok. For the record i didn’t just post spoilers intentionally to ruin shlt for people. I assumed that since i’ve seen spoilers in many of these threads before that they were allowed. I had just got done reading the last volume of the manga, and posted here a little bit after. I really wasn’t even thinking.

And i would never get mad at you Aidan bagel or whoever else i consider a friend for trying to keep me in check, or disagreeing with me.

And if we had the option to use spoiler tags i would of immediately put them up after the first person bitched.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I’ve thought about this for a bit…I did kinda overreact. I worry sometimes online though that if I don’t play it safe with how I phrase things someones going to see it coming off as rude.
            Sorry Aidan, kim I overeacted.

• Armpit says:

I think i come off rude frequently when in reality i’m not really trying to. It is just the way i type, and the habit of not re reading before i post.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Happens to me all the time in real life, mostly cause I’ve got a boring voice and squint all the time people think I’m depressed or angry…lol I feel like that guy from toradora now XD

5. Armpit says:

Haha i wasn’t saying Sen X Kaoru in a romantic sense, but that pairing is shipped quite often with the series :). I just meant the end of their arc since the main storyline is really about those 2.

And i love psgels, and have called him a hypocrite before. He is way more lenient with series aimed at females, or the feminine shows aimed at males. So i just like to screw around with him, but i think he knows i don’t mean it maliciously.

You just mentioned Gankutsuou in the shoutbox kaiser. The ending of this series is similar to that one in a certain way. I hated how there was no closure in Gankutsuou with the romance between the main male and you know who.Even worse they tease you with it at the very end only to give no definitive closure.The difference is in Gankutsuou romance wasn’t anything close to a main theme so i could overlook it somewhat. This series focused on nothing really other than music and romance so i expected a whole lot more out of the ending. It just came off as very lazy to me.

But it is easily fixable. It wasn’t like the entire ending was bad. I enjoyed almost all of the last volume up until it got close to the very end.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

While yes I think seeing characters end up together is a good thing, often in real life its possible that things don’t go anywhere or nothing comes of them.
      And I like that psgels is open mind enough to be a guy who like girly shows.
      Its been a bit since I saw Gankusuou but I remember the ending just feeling like a big nothing to me.

• Armpit says:

Then show that things didn’t work out, it doesn’t have to be a happy ending. Leaving an open ending works at times,but it hardly works all the time.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

Hmm, that is a good point but some people get annoyed when things get shown too much, maybe some people think its condescending or un-necessary to go that far with showing things, in this case I don’t really mind a whole lot. Ah well its all subjective I guess.

6. Kim says:

@Kaiser Eoghan

That’s fine that a spoiler doesn’t bother you but it bothers me. If I wanted to be spoiled for the end of the series I would read the manga.

And even if it is just a little spoiler, people should not be discussing the end of the manga in the episode 8 thread.

7. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I’m sorry to butt in like this, but I really wish the beating on armpit would quit it here. I like the guy, I consider him an acquaintance on here a I like talking to and it kinda rubs me in a bad way to see him being hassled. Calling him a jerk and asshole isn’t the right way going about things.

• Kim says:

Perhaps calling him a jerk was going a bit far but perhaps you should read some of the things he called me in comparison.

It’s nice that you want to defend your friend and I respect that but I hardly think me complaining that he is posting end of the series spoilers is hassling him.

• Armpit says:

Ehh they don’t bother me. If Psgels wants these things spoiler free that is completely in his right. It is his site. He can’t just pick and choose when he wants to apply a rule however.

Btw i’ve only watched episode 8 of this show so i read quite a few spoilers in this thread. No music in the previous episode?

8. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think thats a bit of a problem with this show, I do like the characters and how their being handled but I want more music focus too.
    Kim I hope this isn’t a spoiler, I think the manga of apollon (I read the recent translated volume today) and I don’t think it has that same magic feel the series has had. Though I think volume 8 might change that!
    @Armpit:Sorry if I’m whiteknighting or it seems this way, I just want to try to stop an argument before it goes too far.

• Reverse says:

Ritsuko X Sen look promising “i want to marry u went you grow up promise”
      nope, it got destroy

the relationship between sen and Kaoru still better

less romance more music plz

I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100