Posted by psgels on 12 June 2012 with categories: Hyouka

The reason why the camera moves so little in anime, aside from panning and zooming, is that it’s really hard to animate backgrounds, on top of animating character-models from different angles. And here Hyouka comes and gives a wonderful rendition of the view of a cameraman walking around. This is only possible with very careful use of CG, and I really have to admit that they blended this in really well with the entire look of an amateur camera. But it’s especially the way they kept all of the character-models consistent in all these frames that is impressive.

The movie was very different from the movie that was made in Haruhi, which was played for comedic effect, but there is one thing about that that they copied over and improved: the bad acting. What I mean by that is that it really feels like it was made by a bunch of high school kids: everyone was acting very stiff, and some were yelling their lines out too loud. Furthermore there were few cuts compared to a professionally made movie, simply because it’s such a hassle to do that.

We’ve also gotten our first long arc again with this. It’s a bit of a strange set-up, and especially the three amateur detectives have me a bit puzzled. Going through so much trouble of trying to find the culprit when you could just ask the sick scriptwriter for a small explanation, plus you still need someone to write the rest of the script.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Scruffy says:

I think that the underlying mystery will be why they can’t ask the sick scriptwriter. There must be some underlying reason for it, considering that the guide girl was the scriptwriter’s best friend. It’s all very odd, or … as Chitanda would say .. it’s very curious :)

• wicked says:

All I say is that there is a similarity in term of themes between this arc and the Hyouka arc, even though this story is unfolded in a completely different way

2. Darklord says:

It’s also possible that the scriptwriter didn’t think the whole story through before collapsing, so maybe finishing it won’t be as easy as giving a short explanation from her.

In any case, this is a very interesting premise and I am very curious how they are going to resolve it. So far, Hyouka hasn’t disappointed and I hope they do not start now.

3. Feedert says:

Didn’t the senpai say “Hongou wasn’t able to see the script through to the ending…”.
    So, even thought the scriptwriter has given hints here and there, it seems that she hasn’t thought of who would be the culprit.

Sorry for my bad english.

• meow says:

Something like writer’s block? And they called in Houtarou to the rescue? Hm. Makes sense. Fits with the theme of the show too, since one of the specialities of the Classics Club would be writing.

Right now, I’m more interested in the scheme Irisu and (I think) Houtarou’s sister cooked up to get Houtarou’s cooperation and how it will work out. It looks like Irisu found out a lot about how to manipulate Houtarou, including learning his favorite phrases. So far, it looks like they managed to hook Houtarou already. Now it’s just a matter of reeling him in.

And they brought in Yukana to play Irisu. Wow, critical hit. XD I hope we’ll see more of her.

I wonder what Houtarou’s sister does for a living. She sounds like an investigative journalist or something.

4. meow says:

when you could just ask the sick scriptwriter for a small explanation

I think the scriptwriter did have an idea in mind and it came out in this first part of the movie but maybe she wasn’t satisfied with the result. As Irisu said, just from this first murder scene, it seems enough information had been revealed to identify the culprit, although there are some loose ends. The next episode preview also kindly takes out three more suspects, although I already had an idea who it was before I saw it. (Well, assuming there’s only one culprit.) Who did you guys guess it was?

5. Censor this! says:

I was a little put off with this episode at first; solving the ending for a movie? Really? But when Eba was introduced as well as the three amateur detectives my interest as renewed again in the episode and I am quite looking forward to how the classics club and the detectives will work together. Another interesting point is how Irisu mentioned the solving of the Hyouka case, so I’m wondering if the classics club is going to gain popularity at the school for solving mysteries, thus leading them to be contracted in solving them. Just an interesting point.
    If there is one thing I definitely noticed this episode is how all of the characters in this series have really distinctive character designs; even the one off characters in the movie! Now that is impressive.

• meow says:

I doubt it. It looks like a unique coincidence that Irisu happened to know Tomoe AND Chitanda as well. The club hadn’t published their Hyouka findings either and I doubt the librarian teacher would have talked to Irisu about it. It’s not even clear if Irisu knows the whole story behind Hyouka or just that Houtarou had asked Tomoe about it. It looks like Tomoe and Irisu took quite a bit of time to come up with an intricate approach to hook Houtarou and mentioning Hyouka to pique their interest was just a part of it. I’m pretty sure Chitanda isn’t in on it either. She’s a lot more effective as a cattle prod if she’s just honestly tricked into obsessing over the movie too. Can’t wait to see what else Irisu and Tomoe cooked up. Poor Houtarou. XD

• Scruffy says:

The Classics Club published their Hyouka findings in the periodical that they were putting together.

• Scruffy says:

ahh … at least in the novel chronology the anthology describing the Hyouka incident hasn’t been published yet, so it must be Chitanda’s connections that’s lead to this.

• meow says:

It’s Tomoe. It’s gotta be Tomoe. You read that chat in the first scene right? The typist is probably Irisu, first accepting that the original scriptwriter is dropping out and then asking her senpai for help. The senpai mentions that time and distance make it impossible so Irisu asks for any leads locally. The senpai makes a dramatic pause before suggesting an unreliable but useful lead, if handled right. A tall glass of soda later, she’s chatting with someone else who seems earnest and clumsy with computers. Irisu calls her out for something and, seemingly as an afterthought, suggests that she invite her three other Classic Club members. (No specific mention of Houtarou.) Cue next scene where Chitanda pulls everyone to the movie preview.

6. Alec says:

They over did the bad acting there to the point where it gets annoying

• meow says:

Yea. I gotta agree that they overdid the ham here. I know they were trying to make the movie seem amateur but I think high school kids can perform better than that. Well, okay, one thing is, this is a run-of-the-mill class production. Not something by a drama club where the members are actually studying to be actors. Maybe it could get that bad. Irisu did mention that she would have scuttled the idea from the start if she had been present during the original inception of the project.

• Jzar says:

Having been in many a production I’d have to agree that the over acting was over acted. :)

Yet…..I was always in the drama club in school, where the kids at least wanted to try and be good, for a bunch of kids who just get roped into doing it, it might not be so far from the truth.

You have to admit it was effective overacting. Well except for the shouter….gods he got on my nerves.

Jzar

7. KaZuHiRo says:

This was also done in Ano Natsu de Matteru and Kannagi right?

• Raggers says:

iirc, in Ano Natsu the acting wasn’t this bad. The characters made a conscious effort and (while being obviously amateur) wasn’t on the god-awful level of some of these

I have 2 theories:
      1)the cameraman did it. The still shot was where he/she ran to kill the student (I don;t like this one).
      2) The window was so sharp and heavy it cut of the student’s arm. (I like this one).

• meow says:

I don’t think the camera represents a character. It’s just the point of view of the audience.

IMHO…*spoilers?*

The murder scene was a sealed room. (Reminds me of that island episode in Haruhi.) The key to the room was still inside. The window was stuck and it looked like the grass outside was undisturbed while the corridor to the other room on the other side of the building was blocked by junk. (Check the nice dust-free floor plan.) Assuming one of the students is the killer, he/she probably used the master key to lock the door again after the murder, leaving the victim’s key inside to confuse everyone. (Big question mark how that arm got cut off though. I don’t think it would be easy to do and would have made quite a bloody mess. Plothole?)

• albanian says:

We had the strongest hints that the mystery obeys, amongst others, Van Dine’s ‘Twenty Rules’, the tenth of which reads:

“The culprit must turn out to be a person who has played a more or less prominent part in the story — that is, a person with whom the reader is familiar and in whom he takes an interest. For a writer to fasten the crime, in the final chapter, on a stranger or person who has played a wholly unimportant part in the tale, is to confess to his inability to match wits with the reader.”

In other words, not the cameraman.

• rubix says:

Second theory is invalid. If the window cut his arm off, it wouldn’t be in the room with him. It would be outside.

Also, I’d like to point out the the other theory below (or above? ) that the masterkey doesn’t necessarily have to be used in the murder. The victim unlocked the door to check if the room was clean. There is no reason for him to lock himself in the room. So it’s possible that the murderer killed him, took his key and locked the door while leaving his own key in the room. Locked room case solved… well kind of…

8. IHaveAWang says:

There is no obvious motive that would lead them to kill the dude. If there was, then solving this mystery would be so much easier. I believe the short girl with the black hair did it. She had gone to the second floor on the dead dude’s side. Notice how the windows in one of the rooms were open on the first floor. She could’ve come down somehow through the second floor’s windows with the master key and entered the first floor on the dead dude’s side. There she chopped the dude’s hand of and said fuck you and locked the door as she left. Then she made her way back to the second floor somehow. When they went looking for him, she decided to go back for the master key because she already had it. And the girl who went with her was conspiring with her. When they found him, she had no expression on her face. This concludes my theory.

9. ShyBlue says:

My theory is that the guy who took over the group leadership did it. His motive could be something like: If kaito dies, I’ll be the leader.

He was checking out the rooms, but didn’t seem eager to check out the room at the end of the hall and only did so after someone suggested him to. He did this because he didn’t want the body to be found.

He did as the girl said to avoid being suspicious. But the door is locked and the girls go off to get the masterkey. Notice how he only says that the door is locked and doesn’t tell anyone to get the master key. Once again, he doesn’t want the body to be found.

The door is unlocked from the outside and probably can only be locked/unlocked from the outside. So the culprit would have to have to key in his possession.The culprit and glasses guy run in, the culprit to the right. His right hand is outside the screen and we don’t know what it’s doing. Later, the key is discovered on the right side of the room. While the others in the hall would have the view of the camera and not see what his right arm was doing and while the glasses guy was distracted with the dead body, the culprit tossed the key that would incriminate him to the right side of the room. He does this deliberately so that the key would be near the arm. Because the arm would attract a lot of attention, someone else would probably find it and suspicion would be drawn away from him yet again.

Meanwhile, he opens the window in an attempt to imply that the killer could have come from the outside, but things don’t go as planned because the window was stuck and ended up discouraging the fact that an outsider could have been the murderer.

I can’t really tell how he did it from the crime scene (nothing there is really shark enough to cut thru bone from what I see…), I think is actions make him very suspicious as well as the fact that he has the clearest motive.

• ShyBlue says:

Oh, and I just noticed, but the dead guy and the guy i’m suspecting have the same last names. Possibly brothers? An inferiority complex could explain the motive even further.

10. Reverse says:

“rendition of the view of a cameraman walking around. This is only possible with very careful use of CG”

No, this just wrong
    it can be done without CG just harder, time consuming and a talent

all the big name animator still animated the background manually
    check this one
    few scene kinda questionable but…

that kinda old clip though, still… show like ponyo, redline, some episode of naruto and birdy (my fav). still use those manual background

11. hoiut says:

Wow, psgels, you were spot on here. Talk about actually noticing the elephant in the room right off the bat. Color me impressed.

(To all wondering, naw, I ain’t gonna elaborate. Spoilers and all, you see.)

Some of Wook's recent work don't hold up very well, at least for the ones I've seen, and I'd agree that in creating masterpieces with brilliant social relevancy, Bong is that much better at it. But the styles are much more different than they appear I feel. For one, certainly everything in Bong's films are meticulously planned paintings, with
... Bong's works they are just inferior in terms of writing. Park is better at writting memorable characters thou
@K-Off: I personally believe these two are the greatest working Korean directors right now (despite my love for Hong Sang Soo's body of works). For Park, I LOVE his cinematography, every single shot feel like a painting for me. Although in terms of writing only Join Security Area and Oldboy are layered; other works writing feel so loose for me. Not that they are bad, but when you compare them to..
Chan Wook is brilliant as well...Joint Security Area, Thirst, so fucking good. My favorite korean films are composed entirely of those two's works.
Mother was amazing, definitely second after Memories. Both continue to amaze me every time I watch them and I feel like I pick up on something new every time I do. Not many murder-thrillers even come close to those two.
@Kaiser: Mother floored me when I first watched it and it's my personal favorite film out of his. The only film I haven't watched from him was Barking Dogs, his debut. Was it great?
@Mario: Bong continues to mix elements successfully but it can’t be in the same league as Memories, barking dogs and The host, I did like it more than mother however which I unfortunately found to be a kind of dull film (I need to see it again, as I watched it when I was new to Korean cinema).
@Mario: It sells the viewer on the relationship between the girl and the animal successfully in away a cynical old man like me can like =P With the kid in mind, its not often enough we get tolerable child actors, she did a good job. It has that well executed sentimentalism the Koreans are good at.
@Mario: While it does have some pretty clunky dialogue, ends conveniently and can get close to being too juvenile, having finished Okja, it generally comes off as a high level 90s kids flick that once it gets going keeps things rolling, you can watch it for Swinton and Gylennhall hamming/camping it up and there is an element of fun there.
It really is a great feeling being in an arthouse cinema surrounded by anime fans watching an anime film, the mood and vibe of it.
@Mario: On piratebay. I've actually only seen the nightmare fuel scenes in Gen but shocking stuff. I'd probably go with silent voice perhaps for the simple reason I felt it more.
@Kaiser: man. Okja already available online? Really looking forward to that one
@Kaiser: great. I get the feeling that in term of scope, In this Corner is more akin to Barefoot Gen than Graves of Fireflies. So how would you compare it with A Slient Voice? Which one you prefer?
@Mario: Currently downloading okja.
@Mario: Basically I thought, especially since the manga was only three chapters long the movie could have benefited from a tighter runtime but made up for it by being emotionally involving.
I’m content with giving it three stars and its made me want to spend my weekend watching films multiple about Hiroshima.
@Mario: allowing them to deliver on the emotions promised because the film spends so much time on her daily life.
I liked how the voice acting didn’t really feel like anime voice acting. You sort of get used to the character designs eventually.
@Mario: This film, early on had many slice of lifey moments that I felt mixed on, on one hand they border on a bit plodding/slight, yet the comedy bits they put in actually kind of amuses, despite them going on too long, it allows you to get attached to this woman for when the sad parts show up ,
@Mario: As I said recently , today would be the day I saw in this corner of the world, I just got back from it.
I’ll start by saying that I don’t feel its worthy of the 5 stars its receiving, nor would it hold up to Kuroi Ame by Imamura Shohei or Takahata’s grave of the fireflies.
KT here: Next RE:Creators episode seems to be a gag episode. Not sure how I feel, though obviously the creators need a break.
yeah, usually 1 small arc = 2 to 3 episodes. We have 3 mini arc left so I would say about 6 episodes
Actually from what I hear, there isn't enough material left in Owarimonogatari to make a full course. Seems like it's one volume with would equal 6 episodes at best.
Like hell. There's about five more Monogataris to adapt. Anyway it's not that you are not getting it but rather instead of one cour it's going to be all aired within two days as specials. The runtime of the specials is up for debate but you are still getting it.
the loss of the FINAL one, you mean.
@Mario, I wouldn't grin evilly about it but there's like over ten Monogatari animes. Kinda hard to be sad over the loss of one.
According to ANN, this new Owarimonogatari will be a special 2-day events, which honestly I don't know what that even means. Most of you might grin your evil grin right now but I'm crying inside with that news.
The LWA finale didn't do much for me sadly. Croi's roles as a main antagonist is just not good. And I feel like in the end I don't know much about Suzy or Lotte. I think the worse episode for me was the one right after the twist about why Akko can't perform magic, because it's as Aidan said
KT
Thus Little Witch Academia comes to an end. I will miss it. Despite the mistake IMHO of the Croix Arc, this was a good series, and the last episode went back to the very elements that made me love it at the start. It was a happy series, and gave me a warm fuzzy feeling in some hard times. I thank it for it. It could had been exceptional, but I guess they wanted to try something more.Ah well.
Really glad they used that Scarborough fair song one last time before the finale. I really love that song.
SukaSuka's finale was beautiful, a great way to end a great anime.
@Aidan: I guess the big question I have is, do the character interactions coupled with what assume will be some kind of tragedy element work together well enough to make the viewer care and invest in the characters?
So that's the end of SukaSuka. Better than I thought it would be. Honestly didn't give it enough of a chance in my preview. As far as light novel adaptions go it's above average. Though it does still suffer from it's cliches. Nothing outstanding but a worthwhile watch nontheless.
Have you seen Shonen Jump is making an international manga contest? https://medibang.com/jumpplus/entry/
@Lenlo: you know it when you see it. At first I didn't believe they jumped the shark, but based on the events after that twist, yep it has settled for something much cheaper imo.
For Bahamut, im still enjoying it and we have another cour to go. I think it, and the first Bahamut, are good shows. For Kado, im only on ep 4 so im very curious what shark gets jumped
I think given the pace I'll watch 1-2 or 2-3 episodes of re creators instead of once a week.
In the end Bahamut suffered the same fate as the first one, I could never call it a bad show, I just never ended up feeling it.
I've given my thoughts on tsuki ga kirei before on here but I'll add by saying that I never expected it and uchouten 2 (despite the weak wrap up I liked the lead up) to be my favourite of the season.
About five years ago or so could have seen myself really having been in the mood for LWA.
I wasn't as impressed with Uchoutens finale as Mario was,I found myself more annoyed by how clumsily done it all was.
For me kado jumped the shark with its latest direction and Aidans review along with flicking through this weeks episode kind of confirms I'm done with the show. A show I was initially unsure of but thought might become something.
@Anon, Yeah....at least LWA's finale was pretty good and I think there's a possibility of a second season. With the Criox/Chariot plot line out of the way I say they could really bank on it's potential. Even if they don't, this series was still quite enjoyable.
Man I couldn't agree more with Aidan about LWA and Kado. I still like and enjoy Kado but damn it could have been so much more.
Ntr trap appears to be a non-seinen/shounen yuri manga given its publication magazine.
Not all people work as fast, but that's what companies expect nowadays. Which is why CGI is preferred over practical effects. Or even why anime has used more 3D that painted backgrounds, cars or other props that take time and work to be drawn.
No. I get deadlines are tough. Companies and customers want everything made as fast as humanly possible, yet reality is that making things good takes time and money. I wouldn't be surprised that's why Berserk comes out every 6 months, the art is too detailed and the story is slow paced. Yet the anime was planned to be made in a year or two so it's evident either way, crunch is expected.
I think you misunderstood what he meant when he said the industry was a mess. Mangaka routinely work themselves into a hospital because of the demanding schedule
Then there's the franchise appeal. Which inherently gains something because of persistence, awareness and name. It is hard when great visual effort is mainly put in things that are guaranteed to be a hit, because original stuff tend to make mistakes to find their own identity. Which in itself makes them very risky affairs.
It's also a heavy flaw of the internet, having mainly binary opinions of good or bad. Which makes it hard to tell if you'll like something in the 7s like Nier or Alien 3 (might not be a 7 but opinions make it sound like it is). Divisive products that may or not may suit one's tastes.
Personally I think the issue has become what suits your tastes, what are you willing to give a chance and what hits beyond the medium it is presented.
@AidanAK47 "Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess". - I mean, movies, games, and other entertainment have the same issue, since everyone has a big slice of the pie, yet there are like a million things competing for one's attention.
On that note, apart from the 3 shows I'n currently covering (Eccentric Family, Tsuki ga Kirei and ID-0), I will give a full review on Grimoire of Zero, a show that I feel rather difficult to pinpoint exactly on its quality.
Can't believe we approaching the final week of this current season. Gonna be a busy week of blogging with the usual weekly posts plus the final impressions.
@Anon1206174: I agree with you on both counts. And Sakura Quest has never been bad, but it could have been deeper and less messy. If you plan to watch ID-0 (I suggest you do), don't get your expectation too high because it works much better when you expect nothing of it. Like each episode I was genuinely surprised how good ID-0 actually is.
I remember one of Aidan's visual novel posts where he said theres potentially hundreds of VNs un-translated and LNs too, makes me wonder just how much un-translated manga we are missing out on.
Anonymous1206174
The ID-o posts sound pretty interesting, I am really thinking of dropping Sakura and watching this instead. Really loved the beginnign of Sakura and that abandoned town atmosphere it had, but I am not feeling it anymore. The recent episode about Shiori was great again though..
*looking
Then again he's an extremely forgetable person.
Oh Godammit, looing back over my comments I meant to say Souta not Setsuna, I suck at remembering non-English names.
Anonymous1205999
Meh - I really like this season but I already have my first cases of 'good-show-disappointing-ending/second half'
Anonymous1206022
KT Here:RE:Creators , we need to know more about the rules for Altair to see if that works. It might, and it might not. With what they know they have a good plan. But I was thinking why not just do a Super Smash Bros type game with the characters? I am sure that would generate enough stuff in order to lock her.
On Re:Creators, I find a better solution instead of going all cross-media like the show suggests. Someone could just make some fan-fiction on Altair that purposely show her weakness (like get busted when expose to the sun, or the magic word that render her skills useless). Less efforts, more effective
Man, I agree wholeheartedly with what KT said here: mass media actually sells, so it keeps the industry to a more stable position; then the art-house/more adult oriented anime can have some freedom to do what they like.
I think its more that I have to read it all at the same time as expecting action to come , it might change my mind if I watched it in English.
Anonymous1205580
KT here: I accept the mass media because it raises the funds for the less mainstream stuff I like. That is how I make my peace.

On RE:Creators. I get what you guys say. But for some reason I do not find the exposition heavy in this series. Every person has his own limit I guess
Alonaria
@Kaiser: Yep, that sounds about right, lol. I take my Sheldon in concentrated doses. I might give the Young Sheldon spin off an episode or two because it's highly exaggerated but still somewhat relatable to me.
I feel big bang theory is a show for people who know nothing about nerds/nerd culture to find funny.
And then theres this thing about Sheldon being some kind of autism spectrum thing , which is kind of annoying to hear when I am on the spectrum myself and never really found the character all that amusing.
Probably not the strongest reason to go off a show but, it was people around me going on and on about big bang theory that eventually put me off it.
lol is it any surprise Miura and the hunter x hunter guy take so many breaks =P
Alonaria
*Sheldon
Alonaria
I pick and choose Big Bang episodes that I enjoy. Shelden in the ball pit never ceases to amuse me. Still, it's definitely overrated haha.
IT Crowd > Modern Big Bang. Early Big Bang was good.

And yes, the work conditions in the Manga Industry are terrible. Oda, One Piece Mangaka, works stupid hours. He requests his assistances be "Willing to die for One Piece" because of the amount of work.
And hell yeah"! someone else thats hates on big bang theory.
IT crowd > big bang.
*more safer
And yet now here I am at same time, I think it might be kind of a shame that I can't see the value and fun anymore in some less safer offerings.
I thinking I might go insane if I looked up comments defending the visuals in occultic; nine.
Hate to say it but sometimes opinions, mainstream ones are actually wrong. Its a fact that superhero films have bad action scenes and cinematography and Hardboiled, a chinese action film is better filmed in terms of choreography.
As dickish as this is to say, I really do recoil when ssomeone says something like the Notebook or fifty shades is the best film of all time/their favourite.
See theres also factoring in the people whos favourite film or anime of all is the most recent they finished.
I remember mentioning recently that I was re-watching the twilight zone, the response I got was "I thought that you were talking about twilight"
See thats whats so great about being able to talk about more niche stuff online, theres an easier to find common ground.
In general when it comes to mass popular opinion it's the tried and true safe stuff that ends up selling. The highest selling Mario games are the New Super Mario ones. The same generic Light novel and harems keep selling. There are plenty of examples but majority opinion tends to gravitate to the safe and familiar.
See, most (offline) people (and or teenagers)who aren't really all that interested in film or don't look into it that much will turn out for things like fifty shades, transformers or twilight, thats why those are popular. Most people aren't going to watch something made more than a few years ago or subtitled.
Oh...lol fuck thats a blunder...yes I meant Re:creators.
But by all means, people are fully entitled to like what they like. But there is a reason why so much rubbish gets popular.
@Kaiser, Re:Creators.
As someone who would actually consider themselves creative and interested in things being imaginative I really do hate the whole anti-creativity /anti-art, anti-intelligence movement and way of thinking that allows un-deservedly popular things like what Aidan mentioned to fester.
Yes Re:zero's poor pacing and leaden dialogue is becoming too dominant and there should be more action, its good Setsuna opened up, but I still don't particularly like him.
I imagine the magazines/editors probably consider themselves the writers sometimes.
Pretty sure I only read nisekoi because I was keeping up with conversations about it, then dropped it before the Chitoge doublie showed up, just stopped reading.
On the matter of Re:Creators, I feel the same as the Anon said. I find the exposition to just drone on far too much.
On the matter of the manga industry being shit...it is. Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess. Work conditions are utterly abhorrent and it's even worse that most series live or die based on a magazine popularity poll.
Because just because something is popular, does not mean it is quality. Example: Transformers, Twilight, Fifty shades, Sword Art Online, Big Bang theory
@Anon, Still not getting your logic here. I mean if I have a problem with it after trying it then why am I not allowed to complain about it? Anyway it is only popular for the pandering. Even those who like Nisekoi admit that it's a mediocre harem and they mainly enjoy the waifu wars on the internet.
and now we will resort to illegal streaming sites for this one. "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem", this f*cking true
Huh? Welcome to the Ballroom Anime Gets Amazon Prime-Only Streaming Inside and Outside Japan. Now that just unbearable
Don't know about this new Re:Creators episode since I haven't watched it, but I don't really mind Meteora. Her dialogues scream "exposition" but she still fits well to the story. The fights are good, I agree, but why didn't they go all the way with the world's collapse last episode?
Anonymous1202407
Whether Nisekoi is pandering or not, it is not enough proof for you to suggest that manga industry is shit. If u want good mainstream then its not that hard to find. Also for every success like Nisekoi which u claim to be pandering, there are dozen like it that failed to be popular. Why? Because it clearly is popular for a reason other than just simple pandering.
Ha, Ping Pong. I need that kind of show again in my life.
Also, Ping Pong is amazing.
Theres a difference between pandering to a large audience, and an anime/manga with a quality story that everyone ends up liking. Ive always found moe shows and things like Nisekoi to be the former.
Anonymous1202407
If you have a problem with it after trying it just dont read it. Its that simple. Also what a surprise that a show like nisekoi that appeals to a large demographic is popular. U want the mangaka to apologize it's not some art house story like Ping Pong?
Meteora is pretty hit or miss with her dialogue imo. Sometimes its great, othertimes its not. I can say though I enjoy most of the fights.
Anonymous1202113
I really want to like Re:Creators. To be honest though, I'm getting tired of the dialogue. It has its high points, but it sometimes just seems to drone on and on, especially with all of Meteora's "hypotheses."
KT
Both Bahamut and RE:Creators had great episodes. But I was indeed mentally screaming Super Smash Bros at RE:Creators. You will get the point when you watch the episode.
Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Little Witch Academia – 25[Tree of Leaves]

I am glad that Trigger managed to pull through and bring a bombastic finale to this series. Admittedly there are some signs of cutting corners with some still frames that lingered for a little too long but otherwise this was a great episode to go out on. That said i do have my problems with […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 11[Wanoraru]

I hold many, many grievances with this turn Kado has taken but all things considered the show hasn’t become a trainwreck as I previously thought it would. The developments are rather forced but they at least work from a narrative standpoint. We have effectively transition to a story about the effects of pushing advancement and […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 12 [The Red String of Fate]

Oh god, this climax. Other shows, take note. This is how you SHOUD NOT do on your final battle. How this show can jump from Yasaburou, Yaichirou fighting the Fellow Friday for their lives last week, to the conflict of Soun and Tenyama (that they eventually ended up in Hell again), to end with Benten […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 11 [An Encouragement of Learning]

Tsuki ga Kirei again manages something I thought was difficult to achieve: it surpasses itself once more time. I was afraid that after the Kawagoe festival, there isn’t much left drama for the lovebirds now that Takumi and Chinatsu are all out of the picture; turn out that not only this episode enhances their relationship […]

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]