Posted by psgels on 12 June 2012 with categories: Hyouka

The reason why the camera moves so little in anime, aside from panning and zooming, is that it’s really hard to animate backgrounds, on top of animating character-models from different angles. And here Hyouka comes and gives a wonderful rendition of the view of a cameraman walking around. This is only possible with very careful use of CG, and I really have to admit that they blended this in really well with the entire look of an amateur camera. But it’s especially the way they kept all of the character-models consistent in all these frames that is impressive.

The movie was very different from the movie that was made in Haruhi, which was played for comedic effect, but there is one thing about that that they copied over and improved: the bad acting. What I mean by that is that it really feels like it was made by a bunch of high school kids: everyone was acting very stiff, and some were yelling their lines out too loud. Furthermore there were few cuts compared to a professionally made movie, simply because it’s such a hassle to do that.

We’ve also gotten our first long arc again with this. It’s a bit of a strange set-up, and especially the three amateur detectives have me a bit puzzled. Going through so much trouble of trying to find the culprit when you could just ask the sick scriptwriter for a small explanation, plus you still need someone to write the rest of the script.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Scruffy says:

I think that the underlying mystery will be why they can’t ask the sick scriptwriter. There must be some underlying reason for it, considering that the guide girl was the scriptwriter’s best friend. It’s all very odd, or … as Chitanda would say .. it’s very curious :)

• wicked says:

All I say is that there is a similarity in term of themes between this arc and the Hyouka arc, even though this story is unfolded in a completely different way

2. Darklord says:

It’s also possible that the scriptwriter didn’t think the whole story through before collapsing, so maybe finishing it won’t be as easy as giving a short explanation from her.

In any case, this is a very interesting premise and I am very curious how they are going to resolve it. So far, Hyouka hasn’t disappointed and I hope they do not start now.

3. Feedert says:

Didn’t the senpai say “Hongou wasn’t able to see the script through to the ending…”.
    So, even thought the scriptwriter has given hints here and there, it seems that she hasn’t thought of who would be the culprit.

Sorry for my bad english.

• meow says:

Something like writer’s block? And they called in Houtarou to the rescue? Hm. Makes sense. Fits with the theme of the show too, since one of the specialities of the Classics Club would be writing.

Right now, I’m more interested in the scheme Irisu and (I think) Houtarou’s sister cooked up to get Houtarou’s cooperation and how it will work out. It looks like Irisu found out a lot about how to manipulate Houtarou, including learning his favorite phrases. So far, it looks like they managed to hook Houtarou already. Now it’s just a matter of reeling him in.

And they brought in Yukana to play Irisu. Wow, critical hit. XD I hope we’ll see more of her.

I wonder what Houtarou’s sister does for a living. She sounds like an investigative journalist or something.

4. meow says:

when you could just ask the sick scriptwriter for a small explanation

I think the scriptwriter did have an idea in mind and it came out in this first part of the movie but maybe she wasn’t satisfied with the result. As Irisu said, just from this first murder scene, it seems enough information had been revealed to identify the culprit, although there are some loose ends. The next episode preview also kindly takes out three more suspects, although I already had an idea who it was before I saw it. (Well, assuming there’s only one culprit.) Who did you guys guess it was?

5. Censor this! says:

I was a little put off with this episode at first; solving the ending for a movie? Really? But when Eba was introduced as well as the three amateur detectives my interest as renewed again in the episode and I am quite looking forward to how the classics club and the detectives will work together. Another interesting point is how Irisu mentioned the solving of the Hyouka case, so I’m wondering if the classics club is going to gain popularity at the school for solving mysteries, thus leading them to be contracted in solving them. Just an interesting point.
    If there is one thing I definitely noticed this episode is how all of the characters in this series have really distinctive character designs; even the one off characters in the movie! Now that is impressive.

• meow says:

I doubt it. It looks like a unique coincidence that Irisu happened to know Tomoe AND Chitanda as well. The club hadn’t published their Hyouka findings either and I doubt the librarian teacher would have talked to Irisu about it. It’s not even clear if Irisu knows the whole story behind Hyouka or just that Houtarou had asked Tomoe about it. It looks like Tomoe and Irisu took quite a bit of time to come up with an intricate approach to hook Houtarou and mentioning Hyouka to pique their interest was just a part of it. I’m pretty sure Chitanda isn’t in on it either. She’s a lot more effective as a cattle prod if she’s just honestly tricked into obsessing over the movie too. Can’t wait to see what else Irisu and Tomoe cooked up. Poor Houtarou. XD

• Scruffy says:

The Classics Club published their Hyouka findings in the periodical that they were putting together.

• Scruffy says:

ahh … at least in the novel chronology the anthology describing the Hyouka incident hasn’t been published yet, so it must be Chitanda’s connections that’s lead to this.

• meow says:

It’s Tomoe. It’s gotta be Tomoe. You read that chat in the first scene right? The typist is probably Irisu, first accepting that the original scriptwriter is dropping out and then asking her senpai for help. The senpai mentions that time and distance make it impossible so Irisu asks for any leads locally. The senpai makes a dramatic pause before suggesting an unreliable but useful lead, if handled right. A tall glass of soda later, she’s chatting with someone else who seems earnest and clumsy with computers. Irisu calls her out for something and, seemingly as an afterthought, suggests that she invite her three other Classic Club members. (No specific mention of Houtarou.) Cue next scene where Chitanda pulls everyone to the movie preview.

6. Alec says:

They over did the bad acting there to the point where it gets annoying

• meow says:

Yea. I gotta agree that they overdid the ham here. I know they were trying to make the movie seem amateur but I think high school kids can perform better than that. Well, okay, one thing is, this is a run-of-the-mill class production. Not something by a drama club where the members are actually studying to be actors. Maybe it could get that bad. Irisu did mention that she would have scuttled the idea from the start if she had been present during the original inception of the project.

• Jzar says:

Having been in many a production I’d have to agree that the over acting was over acted. :)

Yet…..I was always in the drama club in school, where the kids at least wanted to try and be good, for a bunch of kids who just get roped into doing it, it might not be so far from the truth.

You have to admit it was effective overacting. Well except for the shouter….gods he got on my nerves.

Jzar

7. KaZuHiRo says:

This was also done in Ano Natsu de Matteru and Kannagi right?

• Raggers says:

iirc, in Ano Natsu the acting wasn’t this bad. The characters made a conscious effort and (while being obviously amateur) wasn’t on the god-awful level of some of these

I have 2 theories:
      1)the cameraman did it. The still shot was where he/she ran to kill the student (I don;t like this one).
      2) The window was so sharp and heavy it cut of the student’s arm. (I like this one).

• meow says:

I don’t think the camera represents a character. It’s just the point of view of the audience.

IMHO…*spoilers?*

The murder scene was a sealed room. (Reminds me of that island episode in Haruhi.) The key to the room was still inside. The window was stuck and it looked like the grass outside was undisturbed while the corridor to the other room on the other side of the building was blocked by junk. (Check the nice dust-free floor plan.) Assuming one of the students is the killer, he/she probably used the master key to lock the door again after the murder, leaving the victim’s key inside to confuse everyone. (Big question mark how that arm got cut off though. I don’t think it would be easy to do and would have made quite a bloody mess. Plothole?)

• albanian says:

We had the strongest hints that the mystery obeys, amongst others, Van Dine’s ‘Twenty Rules’, the tenth of which reads:

“The culprit must turn out to be a person who has played a more or less prominent part in the story — that is, a person with whom the reader is familiar and in whom he takes an interest. For a writer to fasten the crime, in the final chapter, on a stranger or person who has played a wholly unimportant part in the tale, is to confess to his inability to match wits with the reader.”

In other words, not the cameraman.

• rubix says:

Second theory is invalid. If the window cut his arm off, it wouldn’t be in the room with him. It would be outside.

Also, I’d like to point out the the other theory below (or above? ) that the masterkey doesn’t necessarily have to be used in the murder. The victim unlocked the door to check if the room was clean. There is no reason for him to lock himself in the room. So it’s possible that the murderer killed him, took his key and locked the door while leaving his own key in the room. Locked room case solved… well kind of…

8. IHaveAWang says:

There is no obvious motive that would lead them to kill the dude. If there was, then solving this mystery would be so much easier. I believe the short girl with the black hair did it. She had gone to the second floor on the dead dude’s side. Notice how the windows in one of the rooms were open on the first floor. She could’ve come down somehow through the second floor’s windows with the master key and entered the first floor on the dead dude’s side. There she chopped the dude’s hand of and said fuck you and locked the door as she left. Then she made her way back to the second floor somehow. When they went looking for him, she decided to go back for the master key because she already had it. And the girl who went with her was conspiring with her. When they found him, she had no expression on her face. This concludes my theory.

9. ShyBlue says:

My theory is that the guy who took over the group leadership did it. His motive could be something like: If kaito dies, I’ll be the leader.

He was checking out the rooms, but didn’t seem eager to check out the room at the end of the hall and only did so after someone suggested him to. He did this because he didn’t want the body to be found.

He did as the girl said to avoid being suspicious. But the door is locked and the girls go off to get the masterkey. Notice how he only says that the door is locked and doesn’t tell anyone to get the master key. Once again, he doesn’t want the body to be found.

The door is unlocked from the outside and probably can only be locked/unlocked from the outside. So the culprit would have to have to key in his possession.The culprit and glasses guy run in, the culprit to the right. His right hand is outside the screen and we don’t know what it’s doing. Later, the key is discovered on the right side of the room. While the others in the hall would have the view of the camera and not see what his right arm was doing and while the glasses guy was distracted with the dead body, the culprit tossed the key that would incriminate him to the right side of the room. He does this deliberately so that the key would be near the arm. Because the arm would attract a lot of attention, someone else would probably find it and suspicion would be drawn away from him yet again.

Meanwhile, he opens the window in an attempt to imply that the killer could have come from the outside, but things don’t go as planned because the window was stuck and ended up discouraging the fact that an outsider could have been the murderer.

I can’t really tell how he did it from the crime scene (nothing there is really shark enough to cut thru bone from what I see…), I think is actions make him very suspicious as well as the fact that he has the clearest motive.

• ShyBlue says:

Oh, and I just noticed, but the dead guy and the guy i’m suspecting have the same last names. Possibly brothers? An inferiority complex could explain the motive even further.

10. Reverse says:

“rendition of the view of a cameraman walking around. This is only possible with very careful use of CG”

No, this just wrong
    it can be done without CG just harder, time consuming and a talent

all the big name animator still animated the background manually
    check this one
    few scene kinda questionable but…

that kinda old clip though, still… show like ponyo, redline, some episode of naruto and birdy (my fav). still use those manual background

11. hoiut says:

Wow, psgels, you were spot on here. Talk about actually noticing the elephant in the room right off the bat. Color me impressed.

(To all wondering, naw, I ain’t gonna elaborate. Spoilers and all, you see.)

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Badesh
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 01:58 PM)
    Yeah, you could even easily do a spin of series in the berserk universe, it’s that well thought out unique and huge. I dreamt myself continously into that world – mostly because of it’s bright, shimmering side, which aren’t mentioned that often because of it’s ultra dark counterpart.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 01:47 PM)
    I never understood how a franchise like Berserk with huge sales and avid fan base struggles so much to get anything made. The PS2 videogame was never released outside of Japan, and it took 20 years for the anime to get a follow-up. And after all of that we get a slim-budgeted series from an unknown studio, all the while D.Grey Man gets a full-blown slick looking second series that nobody asked for. Quite baffling.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 01:42 PM)
    @Badesh: well the creator of the Souls series Hidetaka Miyazaki is an outspoken Berserk fan. The games are replete with Berserk references.
    Cheers to you too m8.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 01:38 PM)
    @Aidan: for some reason I thought you were talking about the iOS game Berserk: Raging Wave of Mercenaries. Looks like the Musou game is getting a North American release, which is good news. But the weird part is that it’s a Sony exclusive, for whatever reason.
  • Badesh
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 01:37 PM)
    Dear God, a DarkSouls/Berserk mashup would be too god to be true. It stikes me just now, how similar these franchises are in tone. Somehow the never ending suffering doesn’t affect me that much. Could be because of my slow paced, depressive livestyle for most of my past life – no pun intended.
    Nice to hear some well thought thoughts on that topic, cheers ;)
  • AidanAK47
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 01:29 PM)
    @Bam, you know I mentioned that game in the berserk episode 2 review.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 11:45 AM)
    WHAT?! This is tremendous news. Many thanks @Badesh for sharing.
    But Koei Tecmo out of all people? I guess we’re getting the Dynasty/Hyrule Warriors treatment. Where is the FromSoftware developed Hidetaka Miyazaki directed Berserk that was rumored? I guess better than nothing- which has been the mantra of us Berserk fans for a while now. Being a Berserk fan, is being Guts -> which is suffering.
  • Badesh
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 11:34 AM)
    new one. the first teaser didn’t contain any gameplay just the first bit with cascar being snuggled by tentacles. it was how they introduced the new game to me. maybe i should feel raped as well…
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 11:04 AM)
    @Badesh: which one? Cuz I played thru both the Dreamcast and the PS2 version. The Dreamcast one was a stand-alone story, but it was both a good one written by Miura, and it was set between Vol22 and Vol23, so it didn’t interfere with the manga’s story. The PS2 one was almost a chapter-by-chapter adaptation of the Holy Demon War section, and it featured the de-facto Berserk theme ‘Sign’ by Hirasawa himself:
  • Badesh
    (Saturday, Jul 23. 2016 10:50 AM)
    They did the same thing to promote the video game! Srsly?
    Besides, i really enjoy the new series as a long time fan.. can’t exactly point out why. I like the action and for every shitty shot, we get an awesome one.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

EVA 01b

Neon Genesis Evangelion – 01

Truth be told, I’ve never seen any of the EVA franchise, and it’s not normal since EVA is a must for any anime viewer. I don’t really know the reason why I keep myself from watching it, maybe both because mecha is not my favorite genre, and the hype of EVA is just overwhelming that […]

Berserk - 03 2

Berserk(2016) – 03

Forgive me for the delay on this particular post but I must admit that in light of Berserks quality my interest in covering it has somewhat declined. I know that for every episode to come I will have to dance around the elephant in the room but this series isn’t making that easy for me. […]

Orange 03d

Orange – 03

So this week we finally encounter a love rival. Of course with a romance drama show like Orange there had to be someone who would stand on their way right? Except there’s not much of a rival really since Naho never stands a chance against the new girl Ueda. As she learns hard and clear […]

91 Days - 02 2

91 Days – 02

At this point I think it’s clear what kind of show we are getting. It’s not Hitman Reborn which essentially uses its mafia inspiration as window dressing for shounen battles. Nor is it Baccano with a silly yet funny atmosphere combining the prohibition setting and supernatural. No, what we have here is the old school […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 02d

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 02

Sometimes there’s a show that so campy and fun that you just can’t help but enjoy watching it, and then sometimes there’s a show that completely takes you by surprise by how unique it is. Thunderbolt Fantasy offers both of these in a neat package and further showcases the richness of animation as a medium […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 16 2

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 16

Looks like the new opening and ending won’t be getting much use in this second cour either, not that I am complaining of course. This week I  wouldn’t be surprised if people were getting sick of Subaru as his actions continue to be erratic and destructive. The ending of the last episode gave hope that […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 02 3

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 02

It is safe to say that to get the most out of this series, you have got to be a Fate fan. There are numerous little easter eggs calling back to it, even Kirei’s signature “Rejoice” line. However I say even casual fans could get something out of this series as well. Provided they made […]

Orange 02d

Orange – 02

Let me say up front that I am not fond with either romance or melodrama. We usually mistaken romance for love but whenever I think about love I’d think of commitment. Melodrama don’t do well to me either as I always feel forced, like most of the time when the show goes big, emotional scenes, […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 15 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 15

I have a certain belief when it comes to anime and it is that in a great series there is “That” episode. You know the one, the one you will always remember. The one that comes to mind when the series is brought up. Of course depending on personal opinion, that episode can be different […]

My Life as a Courgette a

My Life as a Courgette (2016) Movie Review – 82/100

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]

Kiznaiver - 12 1

Kiznaiver Review – 60/100

Kiznaiver is a very different faire from Studio Triggers other works in that it takes a more serious tone and has a writer who tends to go more for the melodramatic. This is a tale about a group of very different people gathered together and have their pain linked to one another. In an effort […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

When experiencing the wave of new anime each season it can get rather tiresome to notice all the teenagers fighting supernatural forces while gathering a harem through seer luck or similarly tired concepts. So when something like Joker game comes along and takes a road less traveled with it’s story, naturally I am well on […]

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

Mayoiga has to be one of the most misunderstood shows in recent years. On a surface, the premise alone has a lot of potential. The idea behind putting 30 people, each of them has very different set of personalities, together in a bus to a mysterious lost village, in order to start over new life […]

akTwkhF

Stella Glow Game Review-60/100

I really should be getting Grand Kingdom or waiting for Mirage Sessions. My review of Stella Glow is way past relevancy being nearly 8 months late, but I finally completed this and it wouldn’t hurt to briefly wrap up my thoughts about the game created by the now-defunct Imageepoch. I somehow managed to get through Lord of […]

rs33

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Game Review – 87/100

Oh my. This game was just utterly, utterly incredible when it came out, so despite disliking the usual remasters (ahem, Valkyria Chronicles), I was pretty stoked when I learned I’d be able to play this again on better hardware. It came out really late into the PS2’s lifetime in 2007, so at the time, I […]