Posted by psgels on 16 June 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Shirokuma Cafe – 11: Polar Bear Cafe, you just surpassed yourself. The first half of this episode was just surreal, and pretty much was the funniest thing I’ve seen all season. I couldn’t stop laughing while watching it. – *** (Awesome)

#2: Medaka Box – 11: So yeah, this arc was completely different from the rest of the series, but it worked. It was so over the top, but at the same time it used the development of the first half of the series and I also liked how it toyed with the shounen conventions. I have no idea how this show plans to wrap itself up in just one episode, but still this was Shouji Saeki‘s best work as a director on a full series. I guess it really helped that he was both the director and the main adapter, because as flawed as this series is, it does have one thing: a big picture, and that can’t be said of every incomplete adaptation. – ** (Excellent)

#3: The Legend of Korra – 09: I’m not really fond of how the creators continue with the love triangle and all, but the second half of this episode took some really interesting twists and turns here. I like how there are many different parties who are up against each other here and it makes for a great plot. But what will this show do once everything is over? – ** (Excellent)

#4: Kimi to Boku – 23: This episode was about Mary, and as expected it got a lot of very neat character development in. What I didn’t expect was that the twins also got some unexpected character development; it was subtle, but definitely there. Both worked really well here. – ** (Excellent)

#5: Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san OVA – 03: Azazel-San’s latest OVA came out this week, and this one takes place directly after the TV-series. It’s 30 minutes long, with an OP that hints at many characters who haven’t appeared yet, so the creators are definitely planning more of these OVAs. This episode introduced Lucifer, a very narcissistic Koala, and the direction was in top shape all over this episode, with a creative direction and a lot of hilarious visual jokes. – ** (Excellent)

#6: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 23: This was another one of those episodes in which the creators tried to cram as many different sketches into one episode as possible. people chatted, launched themselves, rode a bus, visited a movie, cleaned for spring, were bothered by lots of rain and… are these episodes really just 2 minutes long? – ** (Excellent)

#7: Sankarea – 00: A ton of shows are on hiatus this week, but Sankarea did have an OVA coming out. And really, I expected to be this pointless OVA of some sort, but it actually had a very clear point to it. It was a tad uneventful and that coincidence at the end was just unnecessary, but as an explanation behind the notebook, and therefore the concept behind the entire series, this was actually a pretty interesting use for a prequel OVA. – *+ (Great)

#8: Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou OVA – 01: So apparently Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou has DVD specials that contain extra sketches. This one was just two minutes long and was mostly just buiding up to one joke. And despite being rather corny, that joke made me laugh. – *+ (Great)

#9: Saint Seiya Omega – 11: At the very least: the stakes are now much higher and more interesting beyond high school tournaments. This episode was not as impressive as the previous two weeks, but still it had its merits. Just don’t let this drag on by again having one episode focus on a different cast member, because that’s getting really formulaic. – * (Good)

#10: Jormungand – 10: Hmm, this may have been me not paying attention, but was it explained how Koko was able t find that Balkan leader so easily? I’m still trying to puzzle out why this series leaves me relatively indifferent, even though its subject matter is pretty interesting. This episode also had interesting dogfights… but it all just goes too easily for out main cast. – * (Good)

#11: Nazo no Kanojo X – 10: This week… was building up to something really corny here. And I am not sure whether it’s smart to end the series with that, people. Childhood crushes are a dead horse by now so it was very tedious to see the writers use that to create a love triangle. It’s a good thing that Tsubaki and his “ex”-crush were well acted so they managed to save this episode with that, but this show will be ending in two weeks. This isn’t the time to introduce cliches. – * (Good)

#12: Kingdom – 02: Dear god, I can’t watch this series anymore. It’s one thing to be dramatic, but this was some of the most overblown melodrama I have seen in years. On top of that the script tends to repeat the obvious over and over. I unfortunately got my hopes up way too high for this one, and it’s definitely the biggest disappointment of 2012 so far. Dropped. – — (Bad)

1. 祈是条母狗 says:

actually i heard the next episode of nazo is pretty funny

2. Scruffy says:

About Nazo no Kanojo X .. I’m not sure that it was really all that of a cliche episode. It’s not like feelings that Tsubaki had for 3 years suddenly get turned off just because he starts dating Urabe and I think that is what the writer wanted to explore in this arc. Also .. If I remember correctly there is going to be a TRUCKLOAD of fanservice in the next episode!

3. Lackies says:

RE: Nazo No Kanojo X: If nothing else this arc with the middle school crush is more believable ( and shorter) than the arc where Urabe and Imai Momoka meet and switch places etc, with all the cliches and dumb that go along with that. I will say overall the author handles even the most cliched situations fairly well with the character motivations and their actions being realistic once you get past the premise.

4. RABUJOI says:

While we believe this was the weakest episode of Nazo, we appreciate how it took the cliche of a love triangle being manipulated by one scheming party and made it just as earnest and realistic as all the other issues the series has dealt with.

Tsubaki’s will isn’t strong enough to resist Hayakawa out of hand out of loyalty to Urabe, and we know this, because he can’t even stop drooling over a girl who looks like Urabe but isn’t. We hear all his unguarded thoughts, proposing things to him that would betray Urabe.

Because Hayakawa comes to him dumped, abused, and emotionally unstable, he agrees out of a combination of chivalry, pity and the thrill of living out what had been his dream in junior high, but not in equal parts. It’s a selfish act he can pass off as selfless, because he’s making an unhappy girl happy. Only it’s the wrong girl.

Where Tsubaki falls down is when he lies to Urabe, but it’s no wonder he does; she’d never agree to him pretending to be anyone else’s boyfriend, any more than she’d let him ogle photos of her look-alike.The episode left us (who’ve not read the source material) anxiously wondering how on earth he’s going to get out of the huge mess he made for himself.

5. Blue says:

What will this show do once everything is over?

Um…end?

• Joe says:

I feel like psgels is unable to appreciate this show for some reason despite its depth. I don’t like the romance either, but every other part of it is fantastic.

• Saff says:

It probably helps that most of us have seen the original series. Not seeing the original Avatar before Korra kind of makes some of the neat little details go to waste. With that in mind, she’s seeing it from an entirely different perspective than the majority of us are, so I can definitely see where she’s coming from. (AFAIK, anyway. I’m not under the impression psgels has seen the original series.)

There is also going to be another season after this. Dunno of psgels is aware of that, or if that information makes a difference.

• Hogart says:

How did you get that impression? I get the impression that he’s really digging it except the romance subplot.

• aoi says:

Um actually, it will run for 2 seasons (26 episodes (with an option of upgrading)), and I’m pretty sure Psgels meant what will happen in the 2nd season
      So no, it won’t be ending yet.

6. wicked says:

The strength of Nazo no Kanojo X is that the author take cliche situations do interesting twists all the while keeping the characters believable, so I’d cut it some slack since it’s clearly a setup episode to the climax

7. JB says:

Couple thoughts about Legend of Korra. We got to see some of the original series folks which was cool. And Korra ran away from the bad guy which is very unusual for a an action adventure show.

8. Xyst says:

The part when Korra run away from Amon was intense. She was all weak she didn’t eat in the hole day she hear how Amon beat Tarlok and how he was inmune to bloodbend, and also if she proplong the battle Among’s gang will just came to make it all hard. She isn’t retard she did was it was best.

9. Cytl says:

Unfortunately the childhood friend horse is just as lively as ever, and they’ll keep using it as long as it sells.

10. Gottis says:

Ahaha, I had my hopes up for Kingdom too, and… JUST NO. Won’t be watching it. T~T

11. Cancer777 says:

Is it a childhood friend unrequited love cliche???

I mean he had a crush on her for 3 years before he met Urabe. I would consider that more of a past crush rather than a childhood friend unrequited love… point in case they weren’t really friends, he was more like stalker collecting her hair than a friend.

Also we cant really be sure that this is a love triangle yet. Hayakawa doesn’t really seem interested in Akira romantically, its more like she is vulnerable (after her breakup) and wants the attention that Akira use to give her to feel better. I get the feeling she is more like a villain/troublemaker than a love interest.

Why else would she tell Urabe to come?

12. skyhack says:

You might rethink Kanojo X episode 11 if they do episode 12 properly.

13. wicked says:

Koko was given the intel through HCLI, this was revealed after one her radio conversation with scarecrow.

One would think it was hard to top Coppelion and K in utter terrible but GoHands finds a way.
I might hold back on reviewing Hand Shakers, as at this moment I can't get pass its episode 8. Fallen asleep twice during the first few minutes of that episode. Overall I don't reall hate Hand shakers, but the show failed miserably.
Its attention getting, if nothing else.
@Anon, That Yellow is blinding.
I doubt we'll see anything like ACCA 13 for a long time. It's so dang unique in every way: art style, world-building, subdued story telling, etc. It was kind of an anomaly to have an anime like this to begin with. Happy we got to enjoy it though, I really liked it.
@KTravlos: it ends well, doesn't it? My, my, can't wait to watch it tonight :)
Just finished Nier Automata myself.
Little confused as to what exactly I should be feeling.
And thus ACCA 13 comes to an end. A truly exceptional series imho.
@Kaiser, Horriblesubs do direct downloads.
Animefans ftw is dead, animetake doesn't do direct downloads =< Have to find new direct download site now =<
Just finished Rage of Bahamut and I have to say I didn't expect an emotional climax. Also Rita is the best in show here. But really I don't see the prospect of sequel, especially a 24-episodes one.
Evidently so. That still feels just wrong. He's sort of her father. Ehhhh
"I am a slave to my own blood" -Konatsu.
Aldnoah needed actually interesting characters and character arcs instead of boring assholes. Why does it need more time on the lore when it's just generic scifi jib
One minor thing that baffled me beside *that* in Rakugo was they don't show Konatsu's rakugo in the end. It makes more sense if we can see her perform, but I understand that the show have to put new rakugo material and that was impposible.
@Aidan: I think *that twist* is sweet (not). Points for the show for having a balls to address that, but...
And that's Rakugo finished. A delayed finale but non the less a satisfying one....Though on the matter of *that* I am going full head canon and pretending it didn't happen. Because HELL FUCKING NO.
HelghastKillzone
Troyca's Aldnoah.Zero was 24 eps long but it really needed 50 to flesh out concepts and lore.
HelghastKillzone
*Virgin Soul
HelghastKillzone
Apparently, Virgin is going to be 24 episodes and Re:creators is 22 eps long. I don't know how to feel about that.
Catching up with Rage of Bahamoth myself. Say I really enjoy what I see so far. Characters are its weakest part and pacing is uneven, but everything else work quite well
... Feherlofia is Hungarian one. But I have a really fond feeling towards Soviet and those ex-communist animation. Movies as well
@Kaiser: yep, know both of them. Actually
@Topgavin: wuah your love with Madoka. I was like watching that show for 3 times, but Rebellion just once. I still think that Rebellion adds up to the series narratively. Shaft (be themselves) put a lots of extra background details to the Bluray version, so I'm sure you can't go wrong watching Madoka on Bluray.
Guess I'm just in the mood for some comfycore anime. =)
There's really stuff I need to get round to watching like alderman and chain chronicle, giving utawerumono's s2 another chance, watching those dumb old golgo ovas, catching up on Shamo and city hunter where I left off.
@Mario: If you are looking for something to review for the world animation project, I recommend Fehérlófia , a Soviet era psychadelic folktale animation. Also look into the available short animations by Alexander Petrov (he uses a style of animation which mixes oil painting on glass).
Konstantinos Travlos
Finished watching Chain Chronicle :Light of Hacchetias (TV version). While not something to write home about it was not bad. It did a tried old recipe well.
@SuperMario, we dont have to, but its fun to try and pinpoint the real-world timeline to the shows timeline.

@Topgavin, oh yeah. Madoka is amazing.
Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 12 [Where the Bird Flies]

Boy, what an impressing ending to this great show. In a way, I should’ve thought about that, keeping in tradition which what ACCA has been established so far: a coup d’état without any chaos, or violence; an actual coup d’etat but not aiming to exclude the Prince and the royal, but to Furawau district. The […]

Little Witch Academia – 12[What You Will]

I did expect to see the episodic stories return in some fashion but at least the story development from last week is still going. This week Akko is transformed into Diana by a mirror that looks to have some connection to Woodward. I worry that Akko may be falling into the same trap as the […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 25

Thus Rakugo draws to it’s final conclusion and it is rather refreshing to see a genuine conclusive ending in anime, This is a lot rarer than it should be as most anime leave you hanging for another season that may never come or just wrap up things haphazardly leaving it with a unsatisfying conclusion. However […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 11[Resistance]

Studio Nut really must be hurting as this week starts off with a two minute recap of the last episode but what made this episode special is that for the first time, Tanya lost. The start of this episode at least had Ansen pay that check of giving Tanya a hard time. In particular I […]

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 58/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100