Posted by psgels on 24 June 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Hunter X Hunter – 35: Holy crap! What happened here? Suddenly the fight animation has turned incredible. I was fearing that the creators would put the shading overdose with the Hisoka fight again, like what they’ve been doing many times now when he comes into the spotlight, but the movements were amazingly fluid and dynamic here. – **+ (Excellent+)

#2: Natsuiro Kiseki – 11: Again, this was very impressive. The audition scene in particular showed a completely different side of Yuka, but the rest of the cast also got its share in the spotlight. The rock will probably pull one more nasty trick, which is probably what the final episode will be about and on top of covering the audition, this episode also built up for that wonderfully. – ** (Excellent)

#3: Kimi to Boku – 24: The best romance this season doesn’t come from any romance shows, but instead of shows that happen to have romance in them. Kimi to Boku, I applaud you with such a subtle portrayal of Kaname’s romanc. The implied love triangle with the younger sister was a bit pointless, but Kaname and his romantic interest were really well acted. – ** (Excellent)

#4: Legend of Korra – 10: This episode was meant to show the character development, especially on Korra’s part, as well as starting up the actual climax of this “Book”. The action scenes were still good, even though not among the best, but the plot twist at the end was a big one and I like how far the creators went with that. – ** (Excellent)

#5: Jormungand – 11: The bad guys of this episode were better than usual. Their personalities combined together better than usual, and they were actually built up as a threat, rather than just some more cannon fodder for Koko&co. Valmet’s backstory also helped. – ** (Excellent)

#6: Shirokuma Cafe – 12:: An entire episode dedicated to trolling pandas. Oh dear god, Panda really was more sadistic than usual here to Hand, and yet it again had quite a few hilarious moments, the best probably being the point where they took over the zookeeper’s office. – ** (Excellent)

#7: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 24: Amidst random sketches about passing the time while it rains, this episode stood out because of that giant frog. After nearly two seasons, Poyopoyo can stil manage to find new ways to be adorable. – *+ (Great)

#8: Nazo no Kanojo X – 11: This episode was indeed better than expected considerng the build-up. The creators didn’t go into the corny love triangle route, but instead kept tihngs fresh. I do have a different complaint about this episode, though. Nazo no Kanojo is all about the subtle tease: saying a lot with relatively little fanservice. this episode was all “Screw that! Here are naked girls over and over! Let’s have wacky hijinks ensue when the male lead accidentally sees them!”. – * (Good)

#9: Sankarea – 11: I have no idea what to make of this episode. On one hand it had some really good partsand twists, it used a few anti-climaxes nicely and all. and on the other hand there was the really weird decision of the creators to randomly dress up Rea for no particular reason (not to mention the question how these maids managed to dress up Rea when she was in shackles and all), the incredibly silly tone after all that build-up, the return of the cousin with her really bad dialogue and the uncanny ability of the creators to focus on her boobs and ass whenever she appeared. Sankarea: you have potential. Why do you have to be so goddamn annoying as well? – @#*% (?!?)

#10: Saint Seiya Omega – 12: This was watchable fodder in which Kouga shows yet again that he’s the chosen one, though it was interesting to see some more back-story revealed of what I presume was the first season. In order to put the spotlights on the new cast, the creators had to pull some tricks here and there to get the old cast out of the picture, and yeah, I guess being defeated to the point of being crippled for life is a good option. – * (Good)

#11: Medaka Box – 12: And Medaka Box closes off with a return to the mundane “character of the week” routine while waiting for Medaka to heal and the new bad guys to arrive. It had some merits, like showing what the cast would do when the lead character is absent, but this isn’t really the kind of episode you’d want as a mid-season finale while waiting for that second season. And yeah, this one got a sequel. I didn’t expect it, but it does help, considering how little the first actully got done. – * (Good)

1. Ben says:

The BGM for the Hisoka fight was also great.

2. Frost says:

Holy crap HunterxHunter 35 was amazing… I was waiting for the usual cliffhanger right before the start of the fight and yet they went full on with it right away… Best fight scene in the series so far

The thing that made it so awesome, aside from the animation, was that for the first time there were no words at all, no stupid explanations etc it was just nonstop fighting from the start… If only shounens were more like this instead of “I am about to kill you but not without first telling you the story of my life”

3. KaZuHiRo says:

This! HXH!

4. martin says:

that was an awesome fight.

5. Nic says:

About the Hisoka fight, I figured that was what they would do because they crammed the explanations of Hisoka’s powers were working earlier than they were supposed to. It gave one episode that was overloaded with explanations but I figured it was an editorial decision to make the Hisoka fight run smoothlessly.

And so they did. Still shocked by the quality of the fight though, that was even better than I expected.

6. Puran says:

As someone who was being negative towards the new HxH, I have to say, the fight was amazing. They went all out, it was really enjoyable to watch. Let’s hope they keep it up for the next episode.

• I hope that's not a growth. says:

I’m in exactly the same boat! I had really good fun watching that fight, this week–and I need to sing the director’s praises for that battle, because it alone dispelled all my frustration at just how inelegant the presentation of the Nen type explanation seemed earlier in the episode. Good stuff!

7. Kiarae says:

That was the first time I rewound an HxH 2012 episode to rewatch a fight. The moment it started I was suddenly on edge at what I was seeing. Everything was done really well and what I remember most is just a face shot of Gon as he’s being spun around after Hisoka’s kick. The angles, fluidity and lack of words was just perfect.

Why can’t all tournament fights be this dynamic? I get that it’s “the fight” that’s been building up since the end of the first Opening, but still, would like some more of this!

8. Reverse says:

Excellent action with good length too

9. wicked says:

You’ll be surprised how much of a go to strategy “get naked/things on her naked body” is to Urabe in the manga. Not that Tsubaki ever gets to see it. Despite the lack of touching between the two of them, a lot of things Urabe thinks of to prove their “bond” are rather direct and forward and tied to body arousal, it’s part of her characterization of a girl inexperienced with love that she does things a little recklessly and extreme whenever she’s threaten in love

10. kkkaza says:

the difference in the direction has been noticed since last coupple weeks…

11. RABUJOI says:

Nazo no Kanojo X 11 not only went a little overboard with the nudity, but the censoring-by-random-shadows was a bit clunky, especially considering how nicely the series usually treats both natural and artificial lighting. In short, if you can’t show that much nudity without weird shadows, you shouldn’t try.

We also didn’t quite understand Hayakawa’s motive for inviting Urabe to the festival. Wouldn’t it have been easier to win over Tsubaki if Urabe wasn’t there to butt in? In any case, with Urabe there, this episode didn’t really need Oka at all.

Finally, color us surprised when Urabe didn’t go with “Scissors” in the Rock-Paper-Scissors game…

• wicked says:

Hayakawa was sure she could seduce Tsubaki, if not, at least manipulate him enough for Urabe to see him act unfaithful, thus raise jealousy or drive a wedge between their relationship. Though things went a little differently than she imagined since Urabe actually came in and raised the stakes, and Tsubaki was rather adamant in not wanting to break his bond with Urabe.

Strangely enough, since this is published on a seinin magazine, the author really had no qualms about using nudity, though he uses the artistic trick of glossing over the details and only showing the curves to keep it tasteful. The crispness of color animation does not allow the same tricks to work. They did a great job in the second episode using the setting and angle to cover up the full nudity, but the setting of broad daylight in this episode made it rather impossible to play the same tricks, it’d have been much better if they’ve chosen to change the setting to a closed curtain room. There is a moment in a later arc, where Urabe’s proof of her “bond”, was to write “I love Tsubaki” in big acrylic paint in big letters that covers the front of her body. It’s a rather integral reveal for the moment, but would have definitely been impossible to animate(Since it’s ending soon, I doubt it’ll ever be animated)

• Scruffy says:

“In short, if you can’t show that much nudity without weird shadows, you shouldn’t try.”

They can’t show that much nudity in the broadcast but you can bet that it will be in the BluRay/DVD. After all the only reason they broadcast is to advertise the disks. TBH I think the censorship was handled fairly nicely in the broadcast version. They could have done much worse such as blurring everything.

12. Xyst says:

I have to say the animation of this episode of Korra wasn’t as good as the last one but even that the plot move a lot. The end was exelent. I was the same with the Legend of Aang those season finale have a super build up and show how the hell can break lose in a moment. This got my exited and know how was the other series I don’t espect to fix anything to the season finale.

13. wicked says:

I thunk the problem with Jormungand is that the main cast are essentially invincible, and the writing never really tries to put on much of a facade that they are not like most other anime, therefore the dramatic tension is not there

14. /m/other says:

Damn man.

If only you knew who was Iroh.

When that sailor said “As you wish, GENERAL IROH”, I swear to God I was like this O__________________o

Watch the first series before the second season.

15. Myd says:

I guess Omega’s episode might have been a bit dull to newer viewers as it was mostly aimed at older fans. Shun used to be the most soft-spoken and gentle member of the gang, seeing him as a serene and independent man brought proud tears to the eyes of many fans. However, to people unfamiliar with the franchise, he probably came off as a generic Retired Hero.

Omega will have to work a bit harder to please both new and old viewers alike.

16. Green says:

There has been been huge development between kaname and the younger sister in the manga.. Sadly, I doubt that it would be animated. What a waste. This series deserve another season.

17. Juno says:

First, I was like, “Shuuuuuun~”
    But then he was crippled and I was like, “Noooooo…!”
    And then he unleashed his chains and I was like, “YEEEESSSSSSS!”
    And then it was over and I was like, “Okay. So where’d the real plot go?” XD

18. rufe says:

Kimi to Boku really has stepped it up this season (and I liked the first one). I’m wondering how they’ll close it off….

For me, the jimbei part of this episode of poyopoyo was the funniest, though I did like the toad quite a bit

19. DuelEX says:

The flashbacks shown in Omega’s episode were also new for old fans. When the original anime ended, they had just defeated Hades and the Bronze Saints were more than a little banged up.

This was clearly a fan-service episode. Apart from that, the actions scenes weren’t half bad, definitely a lot better than the disaster that was episode 6…

20. kero says:

ahhhh Kimi to Boku… I’ve really loved it this season. It’s been my go to anime for chilling at the end of a long day.

21. jonas says:

“This was watchable fodder in which Kouga shows yet again that he’s the chosen one”.

I think those scenes are not to show that Kouga is the chosen one, but to hint that Kouga is Seiya and Athena´s child.

The original series often did something similar with whether Eagle Marin was Seiya´s sister or not.

22. RABUJOI says:

Jormungand’s last two-parter in particular (with the warlord and his militia) wasn’t quite as satisfying as it could have been because it was so _easy_. This latest episode introduced assassins with more potential than Orchestra (who were just undiciplined bullet sprayers). These new assassins proved themselves worthy adversaries by carefully observing their prey, noticing a chance to strike, and taking it, utterly surprising Koko and her crew. Her decision to massacre the mafia looks bad by the end, because while they were small fry against her team, they did exert physical and emotional energy. Jormungand is great when all the joking around stops and Koko & Co. are forced into a corner.

Anonymous2049774
Besides that for the most part I'm really enjoying. The backgrounds are great, I think the CGI is actually pretty good with the ships, only thing missing is that classic Imperial/FPA themes, but I suppose they have to make new ones.
Anonymous2049774
Actually, Julian also looks pretty young right now, but that's probably because... he is at this point in the story. But I just hope throughout the series we get to see his character design grow.
Anonymous2049774
I agree. I honestly don't even mind most of the designs, there are only a handful of characters I feel like they missed the mark; only problem is most are pretty important characters (most notably Kircheis, I think Yang's design is somewhere in the middle for me)
just one issue. Annerose's weird eyelashes. They stood out. More than Reihards. But they did.
Episodes 3 and 4 of the new LOGH have won me over. Very good, good use of music, and economic but to the point. Episode 3 did a better job than the original in getting across the depravity of the nobility. And Jessica in episode 4 was great.
I have successfully managed to ignore Darling in the Franxx.
@Masky: I keep up with it because I'm so far in, some of the intrigue is gone, their just fighting the monsters now.
Funny enough whle I was really into the promised Neverland before, I now have no real interest in it. After the first arc ended my engagement died out
Hmm, *bother to care at all makes more sense I think
If what is pretty much best of it that is out nowadays is just "semi" on level on caring, why ye care to care about shonen at all? :D
@Mario: One of the very few shounen I semi-care about.
Good news, the Promised Neverland will be adapted into anime https://www.animefeminist.com/the-promised-neverland-gets-anime-adaptation/
Heard of it, don't know anything of it.
Anonymous2043546
anyone know OpenGL
Rather nice inclusion that they had the voice actors actually speaking Ainu in Kamuy's third episode.
Anonymous2040262
its almost like he could be an antagonist
For me I don't mind if I have to pay to watch the series/ films, but damn it don't restrict me to access it. Entertainment medium is meant to be an exposure (for the lack of better terms), it's supposed to be available to the mass and nobody care for a series that isn't available for streaming. We have way too many other options out there
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem". Someone said that and I couldn't say it better
@Amagi: which part of Firework that you stopped? It's the movie that make less and less sense as the story goes on so I feel you on that
I really wonder what's up with this guy. Considering the hype and VN screens he gets he seems to be more than just random side-protagonist. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Anonymous2039704
One of my favorite OPs this season
Now I textwalled again and feel bad.
In short: be it indie-products or official series or papers, just upload everything on a virtual plattform and you'll get a bigger audience, many of them even willing to pay as long as they get what they want in high quality.
Something might only become popular 4 weeks later but it doesn't matter because it's still there and people can watch it whenever they want and the other series don't matter since it isn't a classical rivalry as we know it from tv.
"Less people watched the first episode than the 1000th iteration of [insert some "classic" movie old people watch for the sake if it]. With streaming plattforms like Netflix and others series just get dumped and are always accesible.
Another reason for why I prefer streams and stuff: TV and quotes are a horror. They often cancelled series after one or two episodes because the quotes didn't live up to what they wanted. Instead of giving a new series some time. It needs time to get a fanbase and people often need weeks to even know about a new series, but nope.
In the end such things are usually screened in ~3 places around the country for a day or two. So if you aren't living nearby or have work to do on that day: good luck.
Sometimes it isn't their fault though, like when there is an anime or some indie guy from my country is making a movie - and nobody wants to show them.
Same here. I really want to give small companies or indie/artists a chance, but it's not always easy.
What baffled me was the British film institute blocking Irish users using their legal streams.
Believe it or not I actually WANT to support.
While I do pirate alot, in cases where an obscure film actually gets a cinema release I make sure to pay to see it at the cinema, I support all the rare anime screenings too.
There is so much stuff I had to pirate or I would have had to relinquish it completely. Even with non-fiction books for my university studies.
lmao. But I 100% agree. Maybe you're lucky if you live in the US but otherwise you are often enough f*ed. Bad marketing.
Point I was trying to make is that, region blocking is only encouraging piracy more.
narf~ couldn't manage to finish that Firework movie, do I miss much? It seems like something that might have a bunch of good ideas for the later part but the first half just bored me and I couldn't get into it for some reason.
Release your damn indie project on a reputable site or at least offer a paypal option and if its something off-colour in content, send the bloody thing digitally and not as a dvd.
Oh look, funimation releases eng dub trailer...think I'll...wat....oh wait this video is not available in your region"
"This video cannot be streamed outside of"
"Sorry we do not deliver to Ireland"
"Sorry this film from less than a decade is out of print"
Yeah, fuck legal streaming, just for that I'm pirating you.
@Mario: Truly you have become the most super of Marios.
Finally pulling those reviews out. Guys, if you're expecting for Hinamatsuri and Masotan posts, the former will be done tomorrow and if I have more time I will do the second one too. Enjoy for now
Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.

Hisone to Masotan – 02 [I’ll Name the Dragon Masotan]

It’s already 2 episodes in and I still have absolute no idea what HisoMaso’s overarching theme is going to be, which might no be a bad thing given I enjoy the show for what it is so far. HisoMaso’s main concept is quite silly when you think about it. A dragon camouflages as a military […]

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory – 02[Damage Control]

A long awaited return of an old favorite is quite enough to make me smile but this episode makes it clear that this will not be the same happy go lucky FMP of the past. The light hearted shenanigans of the old series are pretty much gone now with Kaname coming to grips with several […]

Darling in the Franxx – 15[Jian]

Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14 and thank god this whole mess was sorted out relatively fast. I was truly prepared for this to drag on for several episodes but looks like they had the sense to cut it short and give the audience what it wants. So we get an animation extravaganza […]

Megalo Box – 3 [Gear Is Dead]

Another week, another good episode of Megalo Box. Its like dose of old school action. This week we get a subversion of the “upgrade” and some evidence of how bad life in the slums really is. Lets jump in! So my first thought after finishing this episode was, wow there are some awesome camera shots […]

Hinamatsuri – 03 [Hobo Life 101]

Hinamatsuri week 3 plays like an extension to Anzu and Hitomi’s stories last week. It’s like two sides of a same coin where you can see these girls grow in a direction you don’t expect (NO innuendo here), albeit at the cost of the central chemistry between Nitta and Hina. Here’s the trick to why […]

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]