Posted by psgels on 30 June 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Natsuiro Kiseki – 12: I usually use Media Player Classic to watch episodes, but I watched Natsuiro Kiseki’s finale on Windows Media Player (on my crappy laptop I have experienced that it’s the best in terms of smoothness). Unknowingly I had the player settings stand on repeat. So yeah, I got quite a scare when suddenly the episode started looping, ESPECIALLY with this kind of episode. Apart from that, what can I say about it? Wonderful idea for a final episode and a really heart-warming finale. – ** (Excellent)

#2: Hunter X Hunter – 36: Yes, Madhouse: this is how you do action scenes. With lots of dynamic movements instead of frames that look like they have been directly copied and pasted from a manga. This episode did drag on a bit too much, but hey: this definitely is a start. Up next will be the arc that I found to be the single most boring of the 1999 series, so this is really where this show can make the difference. – ** (Excellent)

#3: Nazo no Kanojo X – 12: This episode yet again was chock-full of teenaged hormones, though they were used well. The tension between two lead characters is what makes this show fun, and this episode had more than plenty of that. – *+ (Great)

#4: Kimi to Boku – 25: Kimi to Boku goes with the “random episode”-ending, but it’s a fitting one: it’s about the future of the characters, it had a ton of Chizuru being annoying, and instead of being the most dramatic episode of the season it ended on a mellow, yet charming note. Well done. – *+ (Great)

#5: Jormungand – 12: So much for the interesting trio of last week. As for the other antagonists in this episode: the guy who killed off all of Valmet’s comrades was just another snarking bad guy who kept smiling even though all of his subordinates got killed. I know he’s a killer himself too, but wouldn’t he at least be annoyed or something? I like the guy with the many nicknames, though. That scene where we first see him with his family is exactly the thing that the other villains in this series lacked. Also, who did they get for that one great song that popped up in the middle of the episode? There is no way that that guy is Japanese. – *+ (Great)

#6: Sankarea – 12: Well, that was inconclusive… this episode definitely had its char in nothng happening, but having nothing happen also is a bit of a dwnside for an ending. I’m sure Studio Deen are going to milk this into a second season and all, but still this was a strange way to leave. – *+ (Great)

#7: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 25: Great to see that Poyopoyo seems to continue for another season. This episode perhaps tried a bit too hard with the slapstick, but it still had quite a few inventive jokes. – *+ (Great)

#8: Shirokuma Cafe – 13: Okay, so for episode 13, this series dedicates itself entirely on to Handa and the comedy takes a much less prominent role. I think that that’s one of the main issues with this series: it dabbles tooo long on one particular subject, because Handa already was a main focus of last episode, and this episode only established that he wants to date Sasako, yet can’t muster up the courage. This episode did have its charms with the Tanabata, though. Also, Mr Tortoise’s wish had me in stitches. – * (Good)

#9: Saint Seiya Omega – 13: The fight of this episode was boring in which the main cast had to take down some strange fly guy, but I do like that the creators at least went itno his motivation for being evil (being unhappy with Athena). Oh, and Aria finally did something. – * (Good)

#10: The Legend of Korra – 11 & 12: Ouch. Amon’s background was good and all, but the ending… that was not good. Not only was it a huge Deus ex Machina ending, but it also rendered so much of the earlier episodes useless. I really found the idea to take someone’s bending away forever a great idea and it’s part of what attracted me to this series. But yeah, as soon as Korra lost her bending it became obvious that the creators were trying to look for a way to cancel all of that. And really? By having a bunch of dead people show up from out of nowhere? – – (Disappointing)

Okay, now so to wrap things up:
Number of series consistently covered: 11
Series that made the number one spot in these rankings: Natsuiro Kiseki (4x), Another’s OVA, Kimi to Boku (1x), Legend of Korra (1x), Hunter X Hunter (1x), Nazo no Kanojo (1x), Shirokuma Cafe (1x).
Series with the highest average rankings: Natsuiro Kiseki, followed by Kimi to Boku, Legend of Korra, Nazo no Kanojo and on place 5 there is Shirokuma Cafe.
Series with the lowest average rankings: Saint Seiya Omega, followed by Sankarea and Medaka Box.
Biggest improvement: Hunter X Hunter’s latest episodes. Sankare and Medaka Box also improved.
The Best Week: Week 23; every series delivered there and there were many awesome episodes to be had.
Worst Week: Week 26; endings are hard to do really well.

My plans for the next season.
Overall, I really enjoyed these posts, so next season I’m going to do them as well. There are six series that look interesting enough to weekly blog. The rest of the series will be summarized in these Kaleidoscope posts. Now, there is only one thing: Phi Brain doesn’t deserve an entire post dedicated per week anymore after what it pulled for the past arcs, so that series will too be delegated to the Kaleidoscope serie. So what should I replace it with? I’m currently toying with a few too many ideas, so I need a bit of guidance.

What should I do next season?

1. cru says:

I know you havent seen Korra’s finale yet, but I have to say this:

I must say, I was severely disappointed in the season finale of Korra. It was hastily done and executed and lacked much of the passion and inspiration of what we had seen before, and instead highlighted its greatest flaws even more.

I wish the creators had decided to use writing teams like they had in ATLA, instead of writing all of it themselves, because you can see how badly the dialogue and execution has suffered. I know what these guys are capabale of from what I saw in ATLA, and its amazing finale, so its saddening to have Korra end so sloppily.

I hope next season they get they’re better writers to return, and they dont use the small amount of episodes given as an excuse for bad pacing and no character development as they have been for this season.

Korra had so much promise, its sad.

• limewarrior says:

Overall, I think it was a great season. I’m sorry you didn’t like the season finale, and I recognize it was far from perfect, but perhaps the write-up at the AVclub will help you see it in a different light.

It may cheer you up to know that some of the original ATLA writing team will be back for the next season and that there will be 14 episodes.

Honestly, the first season of ATLA was it’s weakest (and in my opinion, weaker than the first season of Korra), but the second and third seasons really made ATLA the series we all love. Hopefully, Korra will smooth out all the problems it had this season and really grow in the seasons to come.

• cru says:

I agree with some of the stuff there, but i also hold my stance. I saw so many idea/concepts that just weren’t executed as well as they should have been. They were trying to do too much and so in the end that made everything more disappointing and couldn’t go to its full potential.

Its still a great show compared to other american cartoons, but i don’t think it will ever be able to reach the heights of ATLA, unless the second season proves me wrong.

• calypsoh says:

I agree with your reply. It feels like the creators missed a lot of golden opportunities to really delve into some of the storylines. From my understanding (though I could be wrong) this ending was written before the creators got the green light to do a second season, which explains why the ending was so rushed/forced.

The ending was bad, but I am anticipating the second season. I’m hoping that the second season is better paced than this one. If there is one thing I am not looking forward to, it’s the romance (I don’t know if I was the only one or not, but I really just did not feel the connection between the romantic pair in this series as opposed to Katara-Aang).

• FlippyJ says:

I also agree that the show had so much potential and I really enjoyed the first few episodes, but the ending really killed what was good about the show. We know nothing about Mako and Bolin’s story on the streets that could have explained why Mako is obsessively over-protective and why Bolin constantly resorts to humor. We also aren’t shown how non-benders struggle and are forced to become equalists. Even the big spirituality theme was thrown out the window (along with Amon) when Korra unlocked her airbending in order to protect her crush Mako rather than as a result of her fixing the overly-forceful flaws in her personality.
          We are told Mako had a hard life, that non-benders are oppressed, and that Korra has become more spiritual, but none of these are ever shown and require big theories and speculation to justify. The fact that they only had 12 episodes is no excuse. If they completed writing most of the first season before the second season was greenlighted, the writers should have put that much more effort into making this would-be 12 episode miniseries stand strong by itself. Hell, Madoka Magica did it in twelve episodes.

2. S-R says:

“By having a bunch of dead people show up from out of nowhere?”

And here lies one of the issues of not having watched Avatar.
    The Avatar State hasn’t been explained at all in Korra, has it? Not almost anything about the spirit world.
    Which is a shame, as I felt it kind of appropriate for the ending. But yeah, it seems even more plucked-out-of-the-air if you don’t know the history of it.

I agree it had its flaws as a finale, and definitely rushed, but it was also still ambitious and quite bold for a childrens show.
    I mean, the last Tarrlok and Amon scene took me by surprise and really impressed me.

And the issues of Korra’s identity outside of being the Avatar, were possibly dealt with in too subtle a way at times, in a show that was often quite brash and forthcoming with its points.
    But the hints of her possibly preparing to commit suicide, very good indeed.
    Without her bending, she was redundant as an Avatar, and the only way to solve it was through her own death so a new one would be born.
    And having been raised for that purpose, her whole identity had been taken from her.

All in all, I liked that part. Though I agree that it was far from perfect. Felt let down to an extent, but it was still entertaining.
    And the second seasons’ focus will determine if all the flaws stand-up. If the imbalance in society is just abandoned, then I really will feel cheated.

I agree with limewarrior, the AV club write-up made me feel a lot more positive about the finale than I did straight after.

3. CJay says:

As I said in the shoutbox I have no problems with Korra being able to regain her Avatar powers through the use of Avatar mode. That has been at least somewhat foreshadowed that she would use this later. But WHY can she give people’s powers back?! That is complete deus ex machina that FORCES a happy ending when it could have been much more complex than that. I like PSgels loved the idea of people losing their bending forever and it makes all the build up of people losing their powers pointless. They really messed up in a few minutes of the show

That said i do agree that the Tarlock and Amon ending was Daring, surprising and very fitting chararcter wise. It was impressive. I wonder if the second season will be able to remedy the problems with this truly lacking ending.

• Nayrael says:

An Avatar can return it for the exact same reason an Avatar can take it: both taking and giving it is Energybending.

• FlippyJ says:

The avatar could probably use energybending to undo the effects of energybending victims such as Yakone or the Firelord however, the point is that Korra is using energybending to cure the victims of bloodbending. From what was established in season three of ATLA, bloodbending is specifically moving the water in someone’s body around and has nothing to do with energy. This means that Amon’s technique does something physical or biological using the water in a person’s body to take their bending away. Why would energybending reverse an affliction that only involves water? Amon wasn’t even shown to be a healer, so he did not even touch his victim’s energy. If Katara or Korra used their waterbending/healing to reverse Amon’s own waterbending it would make sense, but that isn’t what happened.

4. cru says:

@Psgels: In ATLA the avatar had the ability to talk to his past lives and enter the spirit world, a place that has not been talked about in Korra. The avatar can use its past lives to gain great power in times of need, with the risk of if they die during it, the avatar cycle will be broken.

therefore, while it is a deus ex machina, its not very out of the blue since it shows korra finally making the spiritual connection that all avatars have.

Although i agree, it was still disappointing.

5. Kim says:

I didn’t like the ending to Korra at all either but the “bunch of dead people” was definitely not a deus ex machina. The Avatar has always had the ability to communicate with his/her past lives in the way Korra did in that last scene.

Anyone watching the original series would know this but it was also mentioned several times in Korra as well.

That being said I didn’t like how Korra got her bending back so easily either.

6. thelastairbender says:

Endings like this remind me that I am watching a series geared for a younger audience. There are other reminders – the romance, the dialogue, and some simplicities here and there, but I tend to enjoy those rather than chaff against them. The ending, on the other hand, was different. The pups won’t mind but the older audience watching for the story – or like me, for the animation, will still be disappointed.

Amon wasn’t an avatar taking someone’s bending away, he was using some manner of blood bending to somehow block off the chakras or the elements or whatever metaphysical stuff the show wants to get into. Korra could have learned to reopen herself in the second season. They didn’t have to return everything in the last minute. A disappointing last few minutes to what was otherwise a good episode.

7. Anca says:

Man, the subbers really must have had a blast with this episode of HxH, translating everything in the most suggestive way possible. It’s episodes like this that make me glad that I stopped watching raws.

8. Stuff says:

The korra ending was disappointing. Though considering that fact that I have seen the Avatar: The Last Airbender, the part where Aang, as well as her past incarnations, showing up at the end is not a huge surprise. The only problem is that they could have focused more on her exploration of her spiritual side, instead of just placing it right at the end of the series. I understand how confused and frustrated you were since you have no prior knowledge. I find it annoying too.

The writers need to learn that The Legend of Korra is its own show, and while they may reference their previous show, they still need to explain crucial plot devices that were presented in the previous series and brought over to Korra. The avatar state is an obvious example. It doesnt take long to explain what it is, and yet they’ve failed to do that.

The ending could’ve easily been saved if they perhaps added one more episode, or even cut off some of the romance sub-plot.

Psgels, you may have heard this many times, but please check out the first show. The characters are more fleshed out, the setting is more expanded, the writing is overall better (has more writers), and the ending is phenomenal (4 episode finale). The first season is a bit childish, but it really picks up in the 2nd and 3rd season. The only thing is the animation and fight choreography may not be as good as The Legend of Korra.

• cru says:

I agree with almost everything you said, except for the fight choreography in Korra being better than ATLA. The animation and production values are indeed lower in ATLA, but almost every single fight in ATLA is beautifully choreographed, and you can recognize the different fighting styles for each element where as in Korra I feel like a lot of the style and flare in the fighting was lost. Korra’s fights were amazing at times, but ATLA fights were consistently great or just fantastic (ex the last fight scene with Zuko, Azula, and Katara)

• FlippyJ says:

The fight choreography in Korra is really well done. I was awestruck when I first saw the firebending examination scene.
        It just got really old when every fight was done “pro bending style”. By using boxing punches and kicks for everything, the martial arts lose their identity and style. While the firebending was done nicely, Earthbending became extremely simple and stale while Waterbending lost all of its grace beyond what little Tarlok did.

9. Rena says:

Completely agree with you, the Korra season finale was disappointing for me as well but reading the comments here made me feel better. I can’t believe I missed the suicide though the idea did cross my mind. She’s still connected to the spirit world through the air element so reincarnating with all her abilities will work. The emphasis on the tear drop down the cliff didn’t connect on first view but realizing that now of redeemed some flaws but it was still one of the weakest endings of the series.

Hopefully the second season will make up for it. I would hope for less romance because it’s just so badly portrayed the show would be so much better without but I don’t see that happening. The way Amon was handled in the end just didn’t sit well, all that build up and then he’s just another villain on the list. He may survive but that won’t change anything unless there is more behind the scene. Korra getting her power back in that way could have been better realized as well because without a clear explanation, it just looks like a cop out clean ending.

Going to watch the last season of ATLA to remind myself that the series can still be saved….

10. wicked says:

Where can they go from here?

Major villain with a very reasonable cause is dead, a lot of secondary villains along with him.

Quest to become a true avatar, kind of done with Korra unlocking her air bending and gaining all her bending back in one fell swoop. Well not really, but all that’s left is for her to “hone” her skills, which isnt exactly riveting.

Even the cheesy romance with Mako seems to be resolved.

It took Aang pretty much the entire series to master the Avatar state, and the end made it look like Korra already got the hang of it already. Avatar state was also not explained, but it was meant to be the end all be all Deus Ex Machina of the show. Deus Ex Machina isnt a bad thing, plenty of shows used it effectively, but this particular use of it really cheapens it

It felt like an ending written to end the series rather than the season. It’ll be a fresh start next season, and maybe that’s what they are trying to accomplished. It certainly wasted a lot of good material that was established this season.

11. Tanz says:

It’s really no surprise Korra got her bending back, though I was convinced for a moment that she was just going to be an Airbending Avatar as reference to the prequel. However, it did make sense for me all the same – this is the Avatar we’re talking about. Whatever Amon did to take away bending is an inferior technique to Energybending, which the Avatar is completely capable of.

I admit that the impact has been mostly overshadowed by what happened with Amon and Tarrlok. It was a rushed ending but it’s not just a “bunch of people showing up.” It’s the fact Korra finally got in touched with her spiritual side after the hardships she’s been through. This would make sense when compared to Aang, the previous Avatar, who easily went to the Avatar State. Not only was Aang more spiritual but his entire situation put him in on the edge and Korra, who has been sheltered all her life, didn’t know that feeling.

It was disappointing but it was still really good.

12. RABUJOI says:

We noticed that Urabe is a lot more animated and expressive in this episode, especially when she learns Oka has a naked picture of her, and when she realizes she accidentally cut Tsubaki. For a long time, she held back the storm on the horizon she feared the slightest physical contact with Tsubaki would bring, but that discipline finally breaks down.

She recognizes she’s horny, Tsubaki’s horny, and they both need a release valve (e.g. the occasional embrace) to avoid going mad. In this regard, Tsubaki accidentally seeing her naked in ep 11 was a crucial catalyst to this, not simply the throwaway fanservice gag it often is in rom-com series.

• Cancer777 says:

I second this, NnK has prove itself to be quite the cliche buster, even this episode had akira tripping over Urabe and I fully expected him to fall on her as with 90% of anime, yet he moved and avoided the cliche. (granted he was afraid of her reaction)

Urabe showing up and getting naked wasn’t even such a surprise as she already did something similar in the earlier episodes, albeit with more subtlety. She does resolve thing in a very strange/contrived way but that’s the point of her character: the weird way of rationalizing things, like not smiling for a picture because “it’s a fake smile”.

At heart this is a romantic story that deals with how much can two people connect… Notice how Ueno and Oka are there to show the contrast of a more “normal” high school relationship: they are already kissing yet their bond is not even close to Akira’s and Mikoto’s.

13. Roo says:

The ending was sloppy however I was half expecting the Deus ex Machina ending since this is what they used to end the Last Airbender series, which I had felt sort of ambivalent towards. This is a series where the spirit world and the physical world are very much connected. With the spirits being pretty much limitless in their abilities to an extent, it allows them to end up being the go-to beings for problem solving. Though, just because they can be the problem solver doesn’t mean they should be.

14. steelbound says:

The ending of Korra felt like the creators were not sure that they were getting the second 14 episode series because they literally tied up every plot thread and gave no teaser hints about what the second season would entail.

There was so much room for improvement but all-in-all this finale was done much better then the first series.

15. JaK says:

lol dead people show up from no where dude u should really watch season 1 <.< somethings u say are so hilarious when u havn't even watched the first avatar :D

16. Reverse says:

after watching the old version of Hunter X Hunter Gon vs Hisoka, i would say the old one did better. the move pretty much a copy from the old one, the lack of creativity …..

17. RABUJOI says:

We were also surprised how quickly the three assassins were neutralized, and how no one in Koko’s team was killed. She let them go so hopefully they’ll be back sometime, but keeping them around too long and telling their stories would have taken precious time away from Roberta…er…Valmer’s kick-ass one-woman (and one-boy!) mission to free her comrades’ souls. And was it just us, or was that song in Finnish? Nice touch either way.

Seeking out more shows that aren’t about teenagers in high schools, we got into Jormungand only two weeks ago and blasted through the first season, and enjoyed it immensely. It’s got a fascinating lead in Koko, an amiable supporting cast, and managed to portray a nice variety of situations arms dealers might find themselves in.

The lack of supernatural elements keeps the series grounded in reality, and even if some of the action gets a little stylized, credulity is always maintained. It’s also hard for us to hate anything scored by Taku Iwasaki; from Soul Eater and Katanagatari to [C], his music really lifts any series that use it. Looking forward to season 2.

18. animedude411 says:

so im not sure how many people have explained this already, but the ending to korra makes sence if you have seen the original series.first of all korra using airbending to save Mako is a direct shoutout to how ang learned earthbending in the original series.he spends an entire episode trying in vain to master it (it is the one he has trouble with much like korra and airbending) but when his friends are in danger he just forces himself to get it right, cheesy perhaps, done before, yes, but completely out of place for either shows, no.

second, the “dead people comming out of nowhere”. well in the avatar world, there is a spirit world where all of the deseaced avatars, as well as several actual spirits dwell. by connecting to it, and as an extension all the past avatars, you go into whats called the avatar state, as your body esentially beacomes a vessel for all the knowledge and power of every single past avatar, Ang learned how to take bending away from a lion turtle spirit at the end of the first series, its not too much of a streatch to assume that he figured out how to restore bending as well, so when korra goes into the avatar state (shown by the glowing eyes, and increadibly powerefull bending) she gains angs knoweldge of taking away and (presumebly) restoring somebodys bending.

was it a tad rushed, perhaps, could they have figured a way to give you this information in this series, yeah, but it was defintly NOT a case of dues ex machina.

personally i really enjoyed the entire series including the ending, but i also got more out of it having seen and loved the original series

19. Hades says:

What should I do next season?

Cover Manga

Yes, read more mangas Psgels. You have no idea of how much hidden gems can be found at the manga field.

20. starry says:

I wish we could vote on more then one thing. I would say cover manga first, then do rec posts, irc/forum, games, etc.

21. Firechick says:

Psgels, I think you should cover more obscure anime. There’s so many out there that need you to expose to the world, and believe me, I know a LOT of obscure anime that definitely deserve to be reviewed by your discerning eyes!

22. Anca says:

COVER MANGA. They’re quick to read, enjoyable, and offer you a new perspective. You can just pick whatever mangafox has on the first page, or go with recommendations, which is more iffy (Amatsuki! Amatsuki!).

Though I WOULD like to see you cover some games, like Persona or various Tales of, those take ungodly amounts of time to finish and are addicting to boot. You’d have cut down your anime activity by a lot to fit that in.

And won’t you be having too many series to blog weekly if you take another two series up?

A proper IRC channel would also be nice, though I remember that your last attempt failed with only two or three people frequenting it. Maybe now that the blog has gotten more popular?

23. SixFlags says:

You really should cover manga! Since most good anime’s are manga adaptions, but then to me most of the time the original manga is much more enjoyable.

I’ve been following your blog since you reviewed the adaption of Monster, and I’m very confident that there are lots of manga out there that will suit your taste.

24. kram says:

I would say cover mangas and visual novels XD

25. AidanAK47 says:

I say don’t bother with a IRC or a forum. They will just become ghost towns. They may start off active but I have seen more than one Forum just become barren eventually. I was a moderator for one after all. It’s a waste of effort. The comments and Shoutbox are fine.

If you are going to expand on what you write about I say manga, visual novels and light novels are the way to go. These would help with making your impression of the anime lineup for a season more informative though to do that you would need to keep up with the latest stuff. Of course instead you could just check out great manga like Pluto, Lucfier and the biscuit hammer and Parasyte.

Though if you are looking for a lighter workload you could just do visual novels as manga and light novels would require posts about various volumes were as Visual novels would only require one review post per game. If you are thinking of trying one then the best recommendation I can give you would be Sharin no kuni. Easy on beginners and has an excellent storyline. The only issue would be the setup.

26. Jalapeno Bagel says:

I agree with Aidan. maybe an IRC because it doesn’t require much maintenance. but forums are pretty old hat now and no one really bothers going on forums anymore.

as for next season, i’d suggest covering games like aidan suggested if you have the time. personally, i think reading manga is far less time consuming to do in one sitting, but a lot of manga are either ongoing or don’t have complete scanlations. so if there’s a series that’s completed that you want to cover, i think that’d be the best choice.

i think recommendation posts would be good too sparingly, as i believe it’d allow you to get some views down that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to express, especially with the studio spotlights.

27. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I voted for the choice to put in a forum based on how crowded the shoutbox gets but I think reviewing manga, actually reading a manga alongside watching anime of it would allow you to give way to more comparative reviews. You’ve said before much anime goes the read the manga ending so I think reading manga would be very beneficial to you.

28. Kaiser Eoghan says:

Also psgels you mentioned your disappointment toward the shojo demographic post the early 2000s before I think you might find theres alot more shojo manga out there worth your time.

29. starry says:

Oh yeah, and if you’re going to cover visual novels, do Saya no Uta first. It doesn’t fall into the standard premise of harem high school hijinks that plague many a VN, its really short by VN standards (3~4 hours) and it has few choices with only three separate endings. It’s also one of Gen Urobochi’s earliest works. It does have a lot of gore in it, if you’re turned off by that.

Also IRC channels over forums, forums are quickly becoming more obsolete these days.

• AidanAK47 says:

Starry, I think Saya no Uta is a bit extreme for Psgels first Visual novel. True it’s short but I say that’s a VN for someone with a bit of experience with them.
      Besides Gore isn’t the biggest problem. The problem is those…awkward sex scenes…

30. Saganatsu says:

if you end of tweaking the site, and possibly if not, could you add the review index by rating pages to the top bar?

31. Reverse says:

Cover Games

what does this mean exactly, Visual novel ? JRpg ? Rpg ? platformer ? fps ?, all those or more ?

32. CJay says:

Definitely the Recommendations posts/Top Lists/Studio Spotlights! One of the best things about this blog is psgels’ knowledge about different studios which would be great to see in that format. Top Lists are always great and everytime you make one they always get tons of attention.

33. gandalf8 says:

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way Psgels, but I would like to air a few grievances I have about some aspects of your blog of late. Instead of just doing something new for next season like in the poll you asked, I’d be glad if you could rectify some of these problems I have with your blogging at the moment. I would like to state that this is just my opinion and its not like I can force you to do it or anything.

Firstly, I notice that nowadays your posts seem to be littered with spelling and grammar mistakes. I know this looks like I’m just nitpicking here, and you’re not a native English speaker, but the amount of mistakes in your posts these days are just too much to ignore. It doesn’t help that I’m one of those people who are very particular about grammar, sentence structure and spelling when I’m reading, although I don’t claim my English is perfect. Maybe you can give a more thorough than usual review of your posts before you post it from now on, perhaps?

Secondly, your weekly episode reviews seem to be less detailed or well thought out compared to in the past. I know that you’re a working man now and the time you can spend on anime is limited compared to your student days, yet I kind of miss your insightful weekly episode reviews. I used to anticipate reading your reviews of an episode I just watched to gain a new perspective or angle to what I got out of a particular episode, or read up on your theories on what or where the plot or show is heading in. I’m not saying your posts aren’t insightful these days, just less so compared to in the past, imo.

Thirdly, is how you tend to forget characters names or places in some of your episode reviews, especially when you’re watching too many shows at a time. For example, in Fate/zero you mentioned you forgot the name of the bug guy (Kariya) and Rin’s father (Tokiomi). Instead of googling it, you just mentioned you forgot their names in the post and left it at that. Also, you sometimes forget about some of the plot points in previous episodes when they’re touched upon in a new one. Again, I noticed this problem from Fate/zero, although I admit the plot is complex and hard to follow if you’re not well versed in the Nasuverse. I’d suggest you jot down all the important info you get after watching an episode of an anime you’re blogging. That way you can easily refer to anything you’ve forgotten after you watch a new episode, and you wanted to write about it in your new episode review.

Well, that’s about all I wanted to say for now. I’m not trying to criticize or shame you by highlighting this. I’m just a fan of your blog and I’ve been an avid reader of your posts for more than 5 years now, and still counting. You may not agree with some or even all of what I said, but then I’m just stating my own personal opinion. I feel privileged to have been able to follow your writing on anime these past 5 years, and I would be more than delighted to keep following you for 5 years more, or beyond.

• psgels psgels says:

It’s of course fine if you state your opinion, of course. A few comments:

The spelling errors mostly are me trying to type too fast. And to be honest, I’ve always had these. Some of my earlier pots and reviews are also littered with them, but I also admit that at the moment, I’m putting out posts more and more in a hurry, which unfortunately doesn’t give me the time required to pull out every spelling error.

As for me not looking up the names: there is a very conscious reason for this: distraction. I do try to look up names, but I have noticed that when I do, I completely lose track of my thoughts and get disctracted with something competely different. I’ve often wasted entire hours this way, which was not fun.

As for being insightful, I’ll try to be this more, especially in my posts covering multiple series at the same time. The reason I’m actually doing these is because lately I noticed that I love being able to cover a huge amount of series, and for now I want to put a bit more emphasis on that. The challenge will now be to bring this insight into all of these short entries, yes.

34. Pax says:

Covering some manga could be quite a nice change and also quite interesting, so yeah, I am voting for that.

35. Zorkinian says:

If you’re interested in picking up more Western animation, allow me to make a few suggestions. Gravity Falls is the most promising show on air right now, sort of like Twin Peaks if it were an animated comedy. There’s also Motorcity, a great racing-action show. Almost gives Redline a run for its money at times. Green Lantern the Animated Series, if you can get past the CGI, is also very good, though I’m not sure when Season 2 starts.

36. Laura Jennings says:

I think you should do the recommendation stuff. It can cover other options like covering the obscure but interesting projects and other mediums like manga and games. Bit of a blanket but at least, you can also have control on what you can post.

All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.
KT here:YES!
@Anon: One of his better works, despite reading it twice I've forgotten too much as its been too long since reading it, good though as when I watch the anime the manga won't be as fresh in my mind.
Urasawa's Pluto anime announced! Get hype! Looks like they're keeping designs faithful just like they did with Monster (at least judging from the poster)
By the way Mario, that Isekai show you were interested in is basically food porn.
Man that was a lot of procrastination. I haven't even written up that Little witch academia post yet...and then there's the preview.
I agree with most of your assessments though Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is something I can really get into. I admit Talentless Nana is a bit iffy at the moment but am willing to give it a big chance because I love the authors other works.

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

ID-0 – 10 [Compressed Sin]

Oh no, ID-0. Out of all the possibilities you could’ve picked for the climax, you chose the worst possible one. Ido’s past self, Dr. Kane Arisugawa turns out to be an evil scientist, using human as a sacrifice for his own research’s advancement. If this already sounds well-worn, it’s getting worse from there. The first […]

Re:Creators – 10 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

The laying of the foundation and development of all previous episodes culminates into an explosive episode that lives up to the hype of Re:Creators’ initial premise. Following Magane long-winded trolling of last week, the amount of action on display this episode more than made up for her antics. Every creation (with the except of Mamika) […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100