Posted by psgels on 30 June 2012 with categories: Spring 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Natsuiro Kiseki – 12: I usually use Media Player Classic to watch episodes, but I watched Natsuiro Kiseki’s finale on Windows Media Player (on my crappy laptop I have experienced that it’s the best in terms of smoothness). Unknowingly I had the player settings stand on repeat. So yeah, I got quite a scare when suddenly the episode started looping, ESPECIALLY with this kind of episode. Apart from that, what can I say about it? Wonderful idea for a final episode and a really heart-warming finale. – ** (Excellent)

#2: Hunter X Hunter – 36: Yes, Madhouse: this is how you do action scenes. With lots of dynamic movements instead of frames that look like they have been directly copied and pasted from a manga. This episode did drag on a bit too much, but hey: this definitely is a start. Up next will be the arc that I found to be the single most boring of the 1999 series, so this is really where this show can make the difference. – ** (Excellent)

#3: Nazo no Kanojo X – 12: This episode yet again was chock-full of teenaged hormones, though they were used well. The tension between two lead characters is what makes this show fun, and this episode had more than plenty of that. – *+ (Great)

#4: Kimi to Boku – 25: Kimi to Boku goes with the “random episode”-ending, but it’s a fitting one: it’s about the future of the characters, it had a ton of Chizuru being annoying, and instead of being the most dramatic episode of the season it ended on a mellow, yet charming note. Well done. – *+ (Great)

#5: Jormungand – 12: So much for the interesting trio of last week. As for the other antagonists in this episode: the guy who killed off all of Valmet’s comrades was just another snarking bad guy who kept smiling even though all of his subordinates got killed. I know he’s a killer himself too, but wouldn’t he at least be annoyed or something? I like the guy with the many nicknames, though. That scene where we first see him with his family is exactly the thing that the other villains in this series lacked. Also, who did they get for that one great song that popped up in the middle of the episode? There is no way that that guy is Japanese. – *+ (Great)

#6: Sankarea – 12: Well, that was inconclusive… this episode definitely had its char in nothng happening, but having nothing happen also is a bit of a dwnside for an ending. I’m sure Studio Deen are going to milk this into a second season and all, but still this was a strange way to leave. – *+ (Great)

#7: Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki – 25: Great to see that Poyopoyo seems to continue for another season. This episode perhaps tried a bit too hard with the slapstick, but it still had quite a few inventive jokes. – *+ (Great)

#8: Shirokuma Cafe – 13: Okay, so for episode 13, this series dedicates itself entirely on to Handa and the comedy takes a much less prominent role. I think that that’s one of the main issues with this series: it dabbles tooo long on one particular subject, because Handa already was a main focus of last episode, and this episode only established that he wants to date Sasako, yet can’t muster up the courage. This episode did have its charms with the Tanabata, though. Also, Mr Tortoise’s wish had me in stitches. – * (Good)

#9: Saint Seiya Omega – 13: The fight of this episode was boring in which the main cast had to take down some strange fly guy, but I do like that the creators at least went itno his motivation for being evil (being unhappy with Athena). Oh, and Aria finally did something. – * (Good)

#10: The Legend of Korra – 11 & 12: Ouch. Amon’s background was good and all, but the ending… that was not good. Not only was it a huge Deus ex Machina ending, but it also rendered so much of the earlier episodes useless. I really found the idea to take someone’s bending away forever a great idea and it’s part of what attracted me to this series. But yeah, as soon as Korra lost her bending it became obvious that the creators were trying to look for a way to cancel all of that. And really? By having a bunch of dead people show up from out of nowhere? – – (Disappointing)

Okay, now so to wrap things up:
Number of series consistently covered: 11
Series that made the number one spot in these rankings: Natsuiro Kiseki (4x), Another’s OVA, Kimi to Boku (1x), Legend of Korra (1x), Hunter X Hunter (1x), Nazo no Kanojo (1x), Shirokuma Cafe (1x).
Series with the highest average rankings: Natsuiro Kiseki, followed by Kimi to Boku, Legend of Korra, Nazo no Kanojo and on place 5 there is Shirokuma Cafe.
Series with the lowest average rankings: Saint Seiya Omega, followed by Sankarea and Medaka Box.
Biggest improvement: Hunter X Hunter’s latest episodes. Sankare and Medaka Box also improved.
The Best Week: Week 23; every series delivered there and there were many awesome episodes to be had.
Worst Week: Week 26; endings are hard to do really well.

My plans for the next season.
Overall, I really enjoyed these posts, so next season I’m going to do them as well. There are six series that look interesting enough to weekly blog. The rest of the series will be summarized in these Kaleidoscope posts. Now, there is only one thing: Phi Brain doesn’t deserve an entire post dedicated per week anymore after what it pulled for the past arcs, so that series will too be delegated to the Kaleidoscope serie. So what should I replace it with? I’m currently toying with a few too many ideas, so I need a bit of guidance.

What should I do next season?

1. cru says:

I know you havent seen Korra’s finale yet, but I have to say this:

I must say, I was severely disappointed in the season finale of Korra. It was hastily done and executed and lacked much of the passion and inspiration of what we had seen before, and instead highlighted its greatest flaws even more.

I wish the creators had decided to use writing teams like they had in ATLA, instead of writing all of it themselves, because you can see how badly the dialogue and execution has suffered. I know what these guys are capabale of from what I saw in ATLA, and its amazing finale, so its saddening to have Korra end so sloppily.

I hope next season they get they’re better writers to return, and they dont use the small amount of episodes given as an excuse for bad pacing and no character development as they have been for this season.

Korra had so much promise, its sad.

• limewarrior says:

Overall, I think it was a great season. I’m sorry you didn’t like the season finale, and I recognize it was far from perfect, but perhaps the write-up at the AVclub will help you see it in a different light.,81693/

It may cheer you up to know that some of the original ATLA writing team will be back for the next season and that there will be 14 episodes.

Honestly, the first season of ATLA was it’s weakest (and in my opinion, weaker than the first season of Korra), but the second and third seasons really made ATLA the series we all love. Hopefully, Korra will smooth out all the problems it had this season and really grow in the seasons to come.

• cru says:

I agree with some of the stuff there, but i also hold my stance. I saw so many idea/concepts that just weren’t executed as well as they should have been. They were trying to do too much and so in the end that made everything more disappointing and couldn’t go to its full potential.

Its still a great show compared to other american cartoons, but i don’t think it will ever be able to reach the heights of ATLA, unless the second season proves me wrong.

• calypsoh says:

I agree with your reply. It feels like the creators missed a lot of golden opportunities to really delve into some of the storylines. From my understanding (though I could be wrong) this ending was written before the creators got the green light to do a second season, which explains why the ending was so rushed/forced.

The ending was bad, but I am anticipating the second season. I’m hoping that the second season is better paced than this one. If there is one thing I am not looking forward to, it’s the romance (I don’t know if I was the only one or not, but I really just did not feel the connection between the romantic pair in this series as opposed to Katara-Aang).

• FlippyJ says:

I also agree that the show had so much potential and I really enjoyed the first few episodes, but the ending really killed what was good about the show. We know nothing about Mako and Bolin’s story on the streets that could have explained why Mako is obsessively over-protective and why Bolin constantly resorts to humor. We also aren’t shown how non-benders struggle and are forced to become equalists. Even the big spirituality theme was thrown out the window (along with Amon) when Korra unlocked her airbending in order to protect her crush Mako rather than as a result of her fixing the overly-forceful flaws in her personality.
          We are told Mako had a hard life, that non-benders are oppressed, and that Korra has become more spiritual, but none of these are ever shown and require big theories and speculation to justify. The fact that they only had 12 episodes is no excuse. If they completed writing most of the first season before the second season was greenlighted, the writers should have put that much more effort into making this would-be 12 episode miniseries stand strong by itself. Hell, Madoka Magica did it in twelve episodes.

2. S-R says:

“By having a bunch of dead people show up from out of nowhere?”

And here lies one of the issues of not having watched Avatar.
    The Avatar State hasn’t been explained at all in Korra, has it? Not almost anything about the spirit world.
    Which is a shame, as I felt it kind of appropriate for the ending. But yeah, it seems even more plucked-out-of-the-air if you don’t know the history of it.

I agree it had its flaws as a finale, and definitely rushed, but it was also still ambitious and quite bold for a childrens show.
    I mean, the last Tarrlok and Amon scene took me by surprise and really impressed me.

And the issues of Korra’s identity outside of being the Avatar, were possibly dealt with in too subtle a way at times, in a show that was often quite brash and forthcoming with its points.
    But the hints of her possibly preparing to commit suicide, very good indeed.
    Without her bending, she was redundant as an Avatar, and the only way to solve it was through her own death so a new one would be born.
    And having been raised for that purpose, her whole identity had been taken from her.

All in all, I liked that part. Though I agree that it was far from perfect. Felt let down to an extent, but it was still entertaining.
    And the second seasons’ focus will determine if all the flaws stand-up. If the imbalance in society is just abandoned, then I really will feel cheated.

I agree with limewarrior, the AV club write-up made me feel a lot more positive about the finale than I did straight after.

3. CJay says:

As I said in the shoutbox I have no problems with Korra being able to regain her Avatar powers through the use of Avatar mode. That has been at least somewhat foreshadowed that she would use this later. But WHY can she give people’s powers back?! That is complete deus ex machina that FORCES a happy ending when it could have been much more complex than that. I like PSgels loved the idea of people losing their bending forever and it makes all the build up of people losing their powers pointless. They really messed up in a few minutes of the show

That said i do agree that the Tarlock and Amon ending was Daring, surprising and very fitting chararcter wise. It was impressive. I wonder if the second season will be able to remedy the problems with this truly lacking ending.

• Nayrael says:

An Avatar can return it for the exact same reason an Avatar can take it: both taking and giving it is Energybending.

• FlippyJ says:

The avatar could probably use energybending to undo the effects of energybending victims such as Yakone or the Firelord however, the point is that Korra is using energybending to cure the victims of bloodbending. From what was established in season three of ATLA, bloodbending is specifically moving the water in someone’s body around and has nothing to do with energy. This means that Amon’s technique does something physical or biological using the water in a person’s body to take their bending away. Why would energybending reverse an affliction that only involves water? Amon wasn’t even shown to be a healer, so he did not even touch his victim’s energy. If Katara or Korra used their waterbending/healing to reverse Amon’s own waterbending it would make sense, but that isn’t what happened.

4. cru says:

@Psgels: In ATLA the avatar had the ability to talk to his past lives and enter the spirit world, a place that has not been talked about in Korra. The avatar can use its past lives to gain great power in times of need, with the risk of if they die during it, the avatar cycle will be broken.

therefore, while it is a deus ex machina, its not very out of the blue since it shows korra finally making the spiritual connection that all avatars have.

Although i agree, it was still disappointing.

5. Kim says:

I didn’t like the ending to Korra at all either but the “bunch of dead people” was definitely not a deus ex machina. The Avatar has always had the ability to communicate with his/her past lives in the way Korra did in that last scene.

Anyone watching the original series would know this but it was also mentioned several times in Korra as well.

That being said I didn’t like how Korra got her bending back so easily either.

6. thelastairbender says:

Endings like this remind me that I am watching a series geared for a younger audience. There are other reminders – the romance, the dialogue, and some simplicities here and there, but I tend to enjoy those rather than chaff against them. The ending, on the other hand, was different. The pups won’t mind but the older audience watching for the story – or like me, for the animation, will still be disappointed.

Amon wasn’t an avatar taking someone’s bending away, he was using some manner of blood bending to somehow block off the chakras or the elements or whatever metaphysical stuff the show wants to get into. Korra could have learned to reopen herself in the second season. They didn’t have to return everything in the last minute. A disappointing last few minutes to what was otherwise a good episode.

7. Anca says:

Man, the subbers really must have had a blast with this episode of HxH, translating everything in the most suggestive way possible. It’s episodes like this that make me glad that I stopped watching raws.

8. Stuff says:

The korra ending was disappointing. Though considering that fact that I have seen the Avatar: The Last Airbender, the part where Aang, as well as her past incarnations, showing up at the end is not a huge surprise. The only problem is that they could have focused more on her exploration of her spiritual side, instead of just placing it right at the end of the series. I understand how confused and frustrated you were since you have no prior knowledge. I find it annoying too.

The writers need to learn that The Legend of Korra is its own show, and while they may reference their previous show, they still need to explain crucial plot devices that were presented in the previous series and brought over to Korra. The avatar state is an obvious example. It doesnt take long to explain what it is, and yet they’ve failed to do that.

The ending could’ve easily been saved if they perhaps added one more episode, or even cut off some of the romance sub-plot.

Psgels, you may have heard this many times, but please check out the first show. The characters are more fleshed out, the setting is more expanded, the writing is overall better (has more writers), and the ending is phenomenal (4 episode finale). The first season is a bit childish, but it really picks up in the 2nd and 3rd season. The only thing is the animation and fight choreography may not be as good as The Legend of Korra.

• cru says:

I agree with almost everything you said, except for the fight choreography in Korra being better than ATLA. The animation and production values are indeed lower in ATLA, but almost every single fight in ATLA is beautifully choreographed, and you can recognize the different fighting styles for each element where as in Korra I feel like a lot of the style and flare in the fighting was lost. Korra’s fights were amazing at times, but ATLA fights were consistently great or just fantastic (ex the last fight scene with Zuko, Azula, and Katara)

• FlippyJ says:

The fight choreography in Korra is really well done. I was awestruck when I first saw the firebending examination scene.
        It just got really old when every fight was done “pro bending style”. By using boxing punches and kicks for everything, the martial arts lose their identity and style. While the firebending was done nicely, Earthbending became extremely simple and stale while Waterbending lost all of its grace beyond what little Tarlok did.

9. Rena says:

Completely agree with you, the Korra season finale was disappointing for me as well but reading the comments here made me feel better. I can’t believe I missed the suicide though the idea did cross my mind. She’s still connected to the spirit world through the air element so reincarnating with all her abilities will work. The emphasis on the tear drop down the cliff didn’t connect on first view but realizing that now of redeemed some flaws but it was still one of the weakest endings of the series.

Hopefully the second season will make up for it. I would hope for less romance because it’s just so badly portrayed the show would be so much better without but I don’t see that happening. The way Amon was handled in the end just didn’t sit well, all that build up and then he’s just another villain on the list. He may survive but that won’t change anything unless there is more behind the scene. Korra getting her power back in that way could have been better realized as well because without a clear explanation, it just looks like a cop out clean ending.

Going to watch the last season of ATLA to remind myself that the series can still be saved….

10. wicked says:

Where can they go from here?

Major villain with a very reasonable cause is dead, a lot of secondary villains along with him.

Quest to become a true avatar, kind of done with Korra unlocking her air bending and gaining all her bending back in one fell swoop. Well not really, but all that’s left is for her to “hone” her skills, which isnt exactly riveting.

Even the cheesy romance with Mako seems to be resolved.

It took Aang pretty much the entire series to master the Avatar state, and the end made it look like Korra already got the hang of it already. Avatar state was also not explained, but it was meant to be the end all be all Deus Ex Machina of the show. Deus Ex Machina isnt a bad thing, plenty of shows used it effectively, but this particular use of it really cheapens it

It felt like an ending written to end the series rather than the season. It’ll be a fresh start next season, and maybe that’s what they are trying to accomplished. It certainly wasted a lot of good material that was established this season.

11. Tanz says:

It’s really no surprise Korra got her bending back, though I was convinced for a moment that she was just going to be an Airbending Avatar as reference to the prequel. However, it did make sense for me all the same – this is the Avatar we’re talking about. Whatever Amon did to take away bending is an inferior technique to Energybending, which the Avatar is completely capable of.

I admit that the impact has been mostly overshadowed by what happened with Amon and Tarrlok. It was a rushed ending but it’s not just a “bunch of people showing up.” It’s the fact Korra finally got in touched with her spiritual side after the hardships she’s been through. This would make sense when compared to Aang, the previous Avatar, who easily went to the Avatar State. Not only was Aang more spiritual but his entire situation put him in on the edge and Korra, who has been sheltered all her life, didn’t know that feeling.

It was disappointing but it was still really good.

12. RABUJOI says:

We noticed that Urabe is a lot more animated and expressive in this episode, especially when she learns Oka has a naked picture of her, and when she realizes she accidentally cut Tsubaki. For a long time, she held back the storm on the horizon she feared the slightest physical contact with Tsubaki would bring, but that discipline finally breaks down.

She recognizes she’s horny, Tsubaki’s horny, and they both need a release valve (e.g. the occasional embrace) to avoid going mad. In this regard, Tsubaki accidentally seeing her naked in ep 11 was a crucial catalyst to this, not simply the throwaway fanservice gag it often is in rom-com series.

• Cancer777 says:

I second this, NnK has prove itself to be quite the cliche buster, even this episode had akira tripping over Urabe and I fully expected him to fall on her as with 90% of anime, yet he moved and avoided the cliche. (granted he was afraid of her reaction)

Urabe showing up and getting naked wasn’t even such a surprise as she already did something similar in the earlier episodes, albeit with more subtlety. She does resolve thing in a very strange/contrived way but that’s the point of her character: the weird way of rationalizing things, like not smiling for a picture because “it’s a fake smile”.

At heart this is a romantic story that deals with how much can two people connect… Notice how Ueno and Oka are there to show the contrast of a more “normal” high school relationship: they are already kissing yet their bond is not even close to Akira’s and Mikoto’s.

13. Roo says:

The ending was sloppy however I was half expecting the Deus ex Machina ending since this is what they used to end the Last Airbender series, which I had felt sort of ambivalent towards. This is a series where the spirit world and the physical world are very much connected. With the spirits being pretty much limitless in their abilities to an extent, it allows them to end up being the go-to beings for problem solving. Though, just because they can be the problem solver doesn’t mean they should be.

14. steelbound says:

The ending of Korra felt like the creators were not sure that they were getting the second 14 episode series because they literally tied up every plot thread and gave no teaser hints about what the second season would entail.

There was so much room for improvement but all-in-all this finale was done much better then the first series.

15. JaK says:

lol dead people show up from no where dude u should really watch season 1 <.< somethings u say are so hilarious when u havn't even watched the first avatar :D

16. Reverse says:

after watching the old version of Hunter X Hunter Gon vs Hisoka, i would say the old one did better. the move pretty much a copy from the old one, the lack of creativity …..

17. RABUJOI says:

We were also surprised how quickly the three assassins were neutralized, and how no one in Koko’s team was killed. She let them go so hopefully they’ll be back sometime, but keeping them around too long and telling their stories would have taken precious time away from Roberta…er…Valmer’s kick-ass one-woman (and one-boy!) mission to free her comrades’ souls. And was it just us, or was that song in Finnish? Nice touch either way.

Seeking out more shows that aren’t about teenagers in high schools, we got into Jormungand only two weeks ago and blasted through the first season, and enjoyed it immensely. It’s got a fascinating lead in Koko, an amiable supporting cast, and managed to portray a nice variety of situations arms dealers might find themselves in.

The lack of supernatural elements keeps the series grounded in reality, and even if some of the action gets a little stylized, credulity is always maintained. It’s also hard for us to hate anything scored by Taku Iwasaki; from Soul Eater and Katanagatari to [C], his music really lifts any series that use it. Looking forward to season 2.

18. animedude411 says:

so im not sure how many people have explained this already, but the ending to korra makes sence if you have seen the original series.first of all korra using airbending to save Mako is a direct shoutout to how ang learned earthbending in the original series.he spends an entire episode trying in vain to master it (it is the one he has trouble with much like korra and airbending) but when his friends are in danger he just forces himself to get it right, cheesy perhaps, done before, yes, but completely out of place for either shows, no.

second, the “dead people comming out of nowhere”. well in the avatar world, there is a spirit world where all of the deseaced avatars, as well as several actual spirits dwell. by connecting to it, and as an extension all the past avatars, you go into whats called the avatar state, as your body esentially beacomes a vessel for all the knowledge and power of every single past avatar, Ang learned how to take bending away from a lion turtle spirit at the end of the first series, its not too much of a streatch to assume that he figured out how to restore bending as well, so when korra goes into the avatar state (shown by the glowing eyes, and increadibly powerefull bending) she gains angs knoweldge of taking away and (presumebly) restoring somebodys bending.

was it a tad rushed, perhaps, could they have figured a way to give you this information in this series, yeah, but it was defintly NOT a case of dues ex machina.

personally i really enjoyed the entire series including the ending, but i also got more out of it having seen and loved the original series

19. Hades says:

What should I do next season?

Cover Manga

Yes, read more mangas Psgels. You have no idea of how much hidden gems can be found at the manga field.

20. starry says:

I wish we could vote on more then one thing. I would say cover manga first, then do rec posts, irc/forum, games, etc.

21. Firechick says:

Psgels, I think you should cover more obscure anime. There’s so many out there that need you to expose to the world, and believe me, I know a LOT of obscure anime that definitely deserve to be reviewed by your discerning eyes!

22. Anca says:

COVER MANGA. They’re quick to read, enjoyable, and offer you a new perspective. You can just pick whatever mangafox has on the first page, or go with recommendations, which is more iffy (Amatsuki! Amatsuki!).

Though I WOULD like to see you cover some games, like Persona or various Tales of, those take ungodly amounts of time to finish and are addicting to boot. You’d have cut down your anime activity by a lot to fit that in.

And won’t you be having too many series to blog weekly if you take another two series up?

A proper IRC channel would also be nice, though I remember that your last attempt failed with only two or three people frequenting it. Maybe now that the blog has gotten more popular?

23. SixFlags says:

You really should cover manga! Since most good anime’s are manga adaptions, but then to me most of the time the original manga is much more enjoyable.

I’ve been following your blog since you reviewed the adaption of Monster, and I’m very confident that there are lots of manga out there that will suit your taste.

24. kram says:

I would say cover mangas and visual novels XD

25. AidanAK47 says:

I say don’t bother with a IRC or a forum. They will just become ghost towns. They may start off active but I have seen more than one Forum just become barren eventually. I was a moderator for one after all. It’s a waste of effort. The comments and Shoutbox are fine.

If you are going to expand on what you write about I say manga, visual novels and light novels are the way to go. These would help with making your impression of the anime lineup for a season more informative though to do that you would need to keep up with the latest stuff. Of course instead you could just check out great manga like Pluto, Lucfier and the biscuit hammer and Parasyte.

Though if you are looking for a lighter workload you could just do visual novels as manga and light novels would require posts about various volumes were as Visual novels would only require one review post per game. If you are thinking of trying one then the best recommendation I can give you would be Sharin no kuni. Easy on beginners and has an excellent storyline. The only issue would be the setup.

26. Jalapeno Bagel says:

I agree with Aidan. maybe an IRC because it doesn’t require much maintenance. but forums are pretty old hat now and no one really bothers going on forums anymore.

as for next season, i’d suggest covering games like aidan suggested if you have the time. personally, i think reading manga is far less time consuming to do in one sitting, but a lot of manga are either ongoing or don’t have complete scanlations. so if there’s a series that’s completed that you want to cover, i think that’d be the best choice.

i think recommendation posts would be good too sparingly, as i believe it’d allow you to get some views down that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to express, especially with the studio spotlights.

27. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I voted for the choice to put in a forum based on how crowded the shoutbox gets but I think reviewing manga, actually reading a manga alongside watching anime of it would allow you to give way to more comparative reviews. You’ve said before much anime goes the read the manga ending so I think reading manga would be very beneficial to you.

28. Kaiser Eoghan says:

Also psgels you mentioned your disappointment toward the shojo demographic post the early 2000s before I think you might find theres alot more shojo manga out there worth your time.

29. starry says:

Oh yeah, and if you’re going to cover visual novels, do Saya no Uta first. It doesn’t fall into the standard premise of harem high school hijinks that plague many a VN, its really short by VN standards (3~4 hours) and it has few choices with only three separate endings. It’s also one of Gen Urobochi’s earliest works. It does have a lot of gore in it, if you’re turned off by that.

Also IRC channels over forums, forums are quickly becoming more obsolete these days.

• AidanAK47 says:

Starry, I think Saya no Uta is a bit extreme for Psgels first Visual novel. True it’s short but I say that’s a VN for someone with a bit of experience with them.
      Besides Gore isn’t the biggest problem. The problem is those…awkward sex scenes…

30. Saganatsu says:

if you end of tweaking the site, and possibly if not, could you add the review index by rating pages to the top bar?

31. Reverse says:

Cover Games

what does this mean exactly, Visual novel ? JRpg ? Rpg ? platformer ? fps ?, all those or more ?

32. CJay says:

Definitely the Recommendations posts/Top Lists/Studio Spotlights! One of the best things about this blog is psgels’ knowledge about different studios which would be great to see in that format. Top Lists are always great and everytime you make one they always get tons of attention.

33. gandalf8 says:

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way Psgels, but I would like to air a few grievances I have about some aspects of your blog of late. Instead of just doing something new for next season like in the poll you asked, I’d be glad if you could rectify some of these problems I have with your blogging at the moment. I would like to state that this is just my opinion and its not like I can force you to do it or anything.

Firstly, I notice that nowadays your posts seem to be littered with spelling and grammar mistakes. I know this looks like I’m just nitpicking here, and you’re not a native English speaker, but the amount of mistakes in your posts these days are just too much to ignore. It doesn’t help that I’m one of those people who are very particular about grammar, sentence structure and spelling when I’m reading, although I don’t claim my English is perfect. Maybe you can give a more thorough than usual review of your posts before you post it from now on, perhaps?

Secondly, your weekly episode reviews seem to be less detailed or well thought out compared to in the past. I know that you’re a working man now and the time you can spend on anime is limited compared to your student days, yet I kind of miss your insightful weekly episode reviews. I used to anticipate reading your reviews of an episode I just watched to gain a new perspective or angle to what I got out of a particular episode, or read up on your theories on what or where the plot or show is heading in. I’m not saying your posts aren’t insightful these days, just less so compared to in the past, imo.

Thirdly, is how you tend to forget characters names or places in some of your episode reviews, especially when you’re watching too many shows at a time. For example, in Fate/zero you mentioned you forgot the name of the bug guy (Kariya) and Rin’s father (Tokiomi). Instead of googling it, you just mentioned you forgot their names in the post and left it at that. Also, you sometimes forget about some of the plot points in previous episodes when they’re touched upon in a new one. Again, I noticed this problem from Fate/zero, although I admit the plot is complex and hard to follow if you’re not well versed in the Nasuverse. I’d suggest you jot down all the important info you get after watching an episode of an anime you’re blogging. That way you can easily refer to anything you’ve forgotten after you watch a new episode, and you wanted to write about it in your new episode review.

Well, that’s about all I wanted to say for now. I’m not trying to criticize or shame you by highlighting this. I’m just a fan of your blog and I’ve been an avid reader of your posts for more than 5 years now, and still counting. You may not agree with some or even all of what I said, but then I’m just stating my own personal opinion. I feel privileged to have been able to follow your writing on anime these past 5 years, and I would be more than delighted to keep following you for 5 years more, or beyond.

• psgels psgels says:

It’s of course fine if you state your opinion, of course. A few comments:

The spelling errors mostly are me trying to type too fast. And to be honest, I’ve always had these. Some of my earlier pots and reviews are also littered with them, but I also admit that at the moment, I’m putting out posts more and more in a hurry, which unfortunately doesn’t give me the time required to pull out every spelling error.

As for me not looking up the names: there is a very conscious reason for this: distraction. I do try to look up names, but I have noticed that when I do, I completely lose track of my thoughts and get disctracted with something competely different. I’ve often wasted entire hours this way, which was not fun.

As for being insightful, I’ll try to be this more, especially in my posts covering multiple series at the same time. The reason I’m actually doing these is because lately I noticed that I love being able to cover a huge amount of series, and for now I want to put a bit more emphasis on that. The challenge will now be to bring this insight into all of these short entries, yes.

34. Pax says:

Covering some manga could be quite a nice change and also quite interesting, so yeah, I am voting for that.

35. Zorkinian says:

If you’re interested in picking up more Western animation, allow me to make a few suggestions. Gravity Falls is the most promising show on air right now, sort of like Twin Peaks if it were an animated comedy. There’s also Motorcity, a great racing-action show. Almost gives Redline a run for its money at times. Green Lantern the Animated Series, if you can get past the CGI, is also very good, though I’m not sure when Season 2 starts.

36. Laura Jennings says:

I think you should do the recommendation stuff. It can cover other options like covering the obscure but interesting projects and other mediums like manga and games. Bit of a blanket but at least, you can also have control on what you can post.

*I don't want to do anything too complex for my first try, but I also don't want to do anything boring. Boring would be a character like Rukia or Celty. Any ideas?
I remember talking about this with Emma/Kaiser before, but has anyone here gone cosplaying at an expo before? I thought it would be neat to try designing my own costume and try something else beside drawing on a computer.
@Kaiser, I am up to episode 4. 3 has been the best one so far.Though in all these episodes I pretty much figured out the twist from the get go. Still this shows always tends to get you thinking.
I think the roles/identity thing with flipflappers, at least with the protaganist does fit in well with adolescence.
@Aidan: I've only seen the first episode so far. I felt the acting was intentional and reflected the satire Brooker was going for on the shallow nature of society. Bleak as ever but gloriously grotesque.
@Mario:Good in depth reviewing there Mario of flipflappers episode three.
Good god this first episode of black mirror is hard to watch. I know exactly how it's going to turn out but it's just so damn painful to watch.
Well, tbh up to where I've seen there's not much explicit yaoi in yuri on ice, only a lot of fujoshi fuel.
@Kaiser. thanks for the torrent. Gonna blaze through this today.
@Topgavin, as someone who watches a metric ton of anime I am rather surprised at that estimate that 90% of it contains Yuri.
My god those gay scenes in Yuri on Ice are hard to watch for me. Wonder if this is how it feels to be a girl watching 90% of normal anime nowadays.
okay, Flip Flappers episodic review was up. This is my lengthiest weekly review so far and I still feel I missed a lot of points. Damn you Flip Flappers
You have seen the light, not needing to know everything thats happening to enjoy something ^_^
I've given some consideration to reviewing that oujia film followup.
Whether you see one or the other is entirely up to your preferences, so it makes no difference to me which is worse. I have gotten very tired of generic character types, but again that's just because of the things I decide to regularly follow.
I will say if it must come down to either unnatural dialogue or unnatural character types, at leas the character type is speaking their own words and not the words of the script writer.
Or was that a black and white fallacy? Maybe it was a little of both.
@Realjustified, K-Off wasn't agreeing with me. That's a Moving the Goal Posts logical Fallacy but well I will answer regardless. Honestly it's preferable to have neither. The big mistake you are making here is that you are putting down a condiction that a show must have one or the other. But both cartoons and anime can have both. I just think it's a lot more prominent in cartoons than anime.
Like, having read hundreds of harem manga over the years, a majority of the ultimate love interest always happens to be the first girl the protagonist meets.
Wait wait wait wait. Aidan and K-Off. I get that dialogue in cartoon can seem like it was written by a script writer, but at the same time, lots of anime have characters whose sole purpose is entirely scripted. The whole spectrum of "deres" and everything. What do you think is worse? Unnatural dialogue, or unnatural character types?
You guys should really go fuck yourself, it's a solution and it's nothing short of great!
You guys should really watch the first 4 episodes of Bungo, it's a prequel and it was nothing short of great!
omg!! I just realized To be Hero was one of the show that I reviewed its 1st episode back in Chinese Animation post. I watched raw then though
forgive me if I'm a bit too overwhelmed by Flip Flappers... For this episode alone I took like 25 screenshots...trying to write a review now...
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in Flip Flappers plot. And yet for some reason I am OK with that.
Anyone out there that's a fan of crude humor should go watch ep.3 of To Be Hero. Certinately stepped it up a notch from the last two humor-wise.
One downside I can think of already is that I'm bound to lose or break one of the detachable controllers. The cost for those pieces is what I'm most interested in.
Nintendo Switch hmm? Honestly it looks too good to be true. I expect some major downsides to this thing.
I like cartoons, don't get me wrong. Certainly good for a change of pace. But there is something about the way they are written that I find rather distracting.
I don't know, maybe if I said it's like the difference from how characters talk in movie vs how characters talk in a sitcom?
@K-Off, I said one liner's or jokes. Not one liner jokes. It's hard to explain. Basically when I hear a conversation in anime even if it is based in stereotypes, it at least feels like a conversation that's being had in the moment. In cartoons however there is a layer of artificiality and it feels like characters know what a person is going to say and has a response prepared.
That's probably why some of my favorite anime in recent years haven't been very heavy on character archetypes, or were either parodies of it.
Comedic dialogue with anime in recent years have leaned too much on the idea of playing off character archetypes. The collected character vs the energetic character, for one. I'd like to see more variety. Some more word play, hyperbolic humor, body humor, etc etc.
@Aidan Not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's certainly not even a majority of cartoons that rely on cheap one liner jokes. I suppose it's entirely up to taste, but I can appreciate the energy in cartoons like Steven Universe or Regular Show when compared to the increasingly repetitive dialogue found in some recent anime.
@Topgavin: I just read that review and his main reason being Shelter is pretentious. oh well! Can't never please anyone.
Thought I'd check out the reviews for Shelter on MAl and the top review is a 1/10. Apparently because it's a cute girl we sympathise with her more, which is bad because reasons. I mean.. what? MAL never ceases to amaze me
@Mario, no. It's more that the dialogue keeps trying to push out one liners or jokes regardless of whose talking.
@Aidan: maybe because they spoke in your native language do you can feel that it's artificial, ya know? I know I have the same problem with Vietnamese drama/ cartoon and maybe Japanese people have that same issues with anime?
By which I mean, the way characters talk in cartoons is very...artificial. Like you can tell that the dialgoue was clearly written beforehand and it never really sounds natural. At least to me.
@Anon, I wouldn't. The writing and structure are too cartoon. What with the episodic nature and dialogue that generally pushes for a comedic tone.
Flanagan also directed absentia which I haven't seen yet but I think someone I came across of 4chan linked it to being lovecraftian?
Oculus was a film of two halves for me. Hush was a pretty standard home invasion thriller, making the victim deaf was an interesting twist but not as unique as you might think, still suspenseful though.
I never saw the first oujia film. Though Mike Flanagan who did the sequel, he's never made a bad movie but he's never really made a great one either.
I stick to the firm belief that cartoons and anime, visually should do and be their own thing. I'll prefer a western artstyle for cartoons rather than one pretending to look like anime style.
But this is a good topic and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions so I'm looking to hear some more arguments
@anon352392: no they aren't. For me not because of where their production based, nor their intended audience, but rather their styles, both visually and storytelling-ly, are different
Anime,” they assert, is not a “style” of illustration or animation.
That's where I differ to those guys. For me, anime is a style. In that sense, I consider RWBY, and Canadian-produced short Flutter as an anime. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not and anime-influence shows/movies that are intented for Western audience like AniMatrix or Afro Samurai are anime
@Anon nah they wouldn't be because they aren't made by a japanese producer for the japanese market. Quality isn't the question, production is
NX and Red Dead Redemption 2 trailers tomorrow.
They are good series and i honestly like them alot more than most anime series, would their quality make them anime?
What about cartoons like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil?
In other news a sequel to an absolutely terrible horror movie called Ouija is out and it's...actually pretty good? Wondering if critics were paid off or it is legit good. Well it did have the guy who was behind Oculus and that was a pretty good movie.
Simplify the term down enough and anime is literally anything animated but the whole point of the term is to distinguish it. For to call Spongebob an anime makes me want to projectile vomit. Point is this, you say you watched a cartoon, people think Tom and jerry, Scooby doo etc. You say you watched an anime, people think Cowboy bebop, Attack on titan, etc. Whole point of the term.
For example, I don't consider Avatar or RWBY to be anime for while they use anime style, the writing is fundamentally structured like an American cartoon. Through I would consider Bloodivores an anime even though it was made by a Chinese animation company, making it technically a Chinese cartoon.
As far as what is and isn't anime I honestly think of the term as a means of distinguishing it from cartoon which gives the impression of being for children. It's like Graphic novel is to comic book. Though techically graphic novels are issues of comics bound in book form, the term Graphic novel is often used to distinguish works that go above superhero comics and whatnot.
Basically I think it was due to Porter Robinsons involvement that they didn't consider it anime.
@Aidan: Did the mods give any concrete reasons why they didn't consider it an anime?
@Mario, It wasn't the community that had the problem. It was the mods. The community made it pretty clear that they considered it anime.
So despite the art style is obviously anime, the character speaks in Japanese, and the production was animated by A1 Studios, it's not an anime? Sometimes I feel sad that the anime community keeps limiting themselves with such fixed minds.
I saw it yesterday and yes it was good. For a 5-minute story, they don't make it too overwhelme with details, and still pack an emotional punch. Moreover it elevates the song. Good stuffs.
Shelter was quite good though. It works well and the animation was beautiful. Song is not bad either. It's got a nice emotional punch to it though it's a bit simple a story.
Well anyway I only saw all this because I checked out the video for the first time and wanted to see how others thought of it with a quick scan through reddit. And I get this shitshow instead.
Playing the victim is the one really pisses off the internet. For refusing to admit you f*cked up only encourages people to shove how you f*cked up into your face. That's what really grinds peoples gears.
Yep, seen that too. The mods even put up another tread about the video and tried to guilt trip people by saying they got death threats. Look, internet rules 101. If you said or did something stupid admit to it and just walk away. Do not try to deflect blame or play the victim, that only adds fuel to the fire.
@Aidan oh yeah saw that live lol. Porter himself even commented on twitter about it, gotta love internet drama
So did anyone happen to catch the big old shitstorm of that Shelter music music when a mod of the Anime subreddit decided it wasn't "Anime" enough and removed the discussion post about it? Oh internet drama...what silly nonsense.
Finally caught up with JoJo. Diamond is Unbreakable has turned out to be much better than Stardust Crusaders. Should have waited for the season to finish through as I really loved marathoning it.
I had a feeling that might be the case considering the source materail for luger.
@Mario Oh I watched that, certinately worth it. Packed more story that some 12-episode shows do nowadays and gorgeous animation.
and I will check out "Shelter" music video to see what all the fuss is about
*this weekend to be exact.
Sounds like Luger Code 1951 is an OVA that will air next week, the same air date with "my" Zaregoto OVA.
@Mario: doesn't sound real at all to me lol
@Mario, I might be able to manage. If all else fails I can talk about the past of these historical figures.
While I don't mind watchinng Drifters, I swaer if I had to cover that show, I couldn't come up with anything to say.
Do you guys know what language the fairies speak in Drifters? It does sound like a genuine language
@topgavin: humanity has declined is a great show. It has good writing and dark, witty sense of humor. I could talk about it in length but psgels pretty much covered it all. He was really impressed by that show however.
That should be me covered till the weekend. Why do all my shows air on the weekend...
@Mario nah I've watched the whole thing but I'd heard about it at the start of this year and put it off. The dialogue between her and the fairies was great stuff, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend now that you mention it
Alright, I got three posts written up and will be throwing them out in about two hours or do.
I thought you've finished it. Yeah I love her character a lot, so cynical but witty. My favorite moment was when she read about fairy's plan to invent religions. She was like "so religions are invented?" (beat) "I've learn something new today". Priceless
@Mario Oh nice, it was one that I had heard about but never got round to. To put it in simple anime terms, Watashi is best girl
@topgavin: I just finished the series yo mentioned the other day: humanity is declined. Man, I love it. I know now I have a thing for dark twisted absurdist anime
@Ano340004: the name is Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, or to put it short Motete. I have fun with it but i'm not that enthuastic
@anon the english name is Kiss him, not me. Search through the first impressions if you need the jap name.
then that girl really loves BL (boy love)
what is the name of the anime that the girl is fat and then she got depressed because her favorite boy anime died then she got thin?
Season 7 is awesome so far too. It feels like the tone of the show is finally back to normal and it feels like Adventure Time again.
Whew, I binged all seasons of Adventure Time this weekend. The show hit a low spot in Season 6 but I think it needed to happen...Poor Finn needed the serious character development after what he did to FP.
You guys are too hard on it
Motete is very funny
When it comes to gag manga and four-koma, I just eventually reach a stopping point with a comedy series in that format. Even with hidamari sketch.
I think it was typical light novel trash based on what was in the PV. I laughed that despite it being horrible that the crowd still cheered anyway, likely because it had a bath clip in it.
The PV was hilarious. I had no idea what the anime was about.
@Aidan I'm good, I'll stick with Working.
@K-Off, you could switch to something like Gi(a)rlish Number if you like. I for one am really digging the satire of the show. Plus I like that it's basically showing how an utter train-wreck of an anime can be made. That PV in the last episode was truly painful.
Feeling pretty disappointed with Working. I haven't gotten any more cynical with comedies, at least I don't think, and its flaws are so irritating.
@Adam Le, I find that with Comic book dialogue. Which is one of the reasons I have gone off marvel movies. Cartoons have it to a degree as well.
I love the instagram shots in Yuri
Maybe I can have a watch through those live action films and do a compare/contrast to see which version works better. After all movie and tv series are 2 different medium, and live-action vs animation is the topic that we never get tired of
speaking of which, the overlap between anime and live-action adaptation from manga is overwhelming. For this year alone, there were Erased, 3-gatsu no Lion, Fune o Amu, orange, and Chihayafuru (part 1&2). Those were just the ones I know.
@Adam: Don't know which genre you're into but you can try Fune o Amu (The Great Passage)
Adam Le
I can't seem to get into any of these new shows. I don't know, the dialogue always seems off to me and the forced comedy is a big turn off.
Reminds me of a thought I had when I was last at the Getty art museum. People walking past works of art hundreds of years old, but only taking a second-long glance before moving on to the next one. Not their fault really, it's only the professional critics who can understand what they see with depth.
I'm the opposite really, they're getting paid for what they said so they better know their shits
I suppose I'm slightly envious of professional critics somewhat.
Sometimes you're just meant to experience the ride you know. I don't watch those explained video anymore because after all it's just one guy's opinions.
And I mean people who art professionals or students.
I guess I'm just unsure of something, how many people watching "arty" stuff are able to pick it up on their own. By looking up an "explained video" or "explained essay" to get it, am I copping out?
I feel like I've begun getting on board with the european art stuff but am really only scratching the surface with the Chinese and that stuff.
And find myself missing whats going on sometimes.
I'll admit I do find it frustrating, that even though I can like art films, emotionally connect at times, appreciate the visual techniques and admire them for being so different without looking up analysis by people far smarter than myself I honestly feel lost sometimes as to the meaning.
@Kaiser: Apichatphong Weerseethakul's films are so otherworldly and spiritual that I wouldn't dare to call them "dreams" anymore. Check out his "Uncle Boonmie", "Syndromes and a Century", "Cemetery of Splendors". he has such singular vision that just watch and experience his films are rewarding enough
@afgm: well, if we really go over-analyze it, bunnies can represent desire for example ^^
like eating sweet snow is so randomness for me
@Badesh: the things you said might be something I might do in the future. After all I love dissecting symbolism. But for Flip Flappers I need to know more what are intentional and what are randomness first
So Papika is corrupting Cocona? That would make some sense I guess
I mean I guess bunnies represent purity? Maybe?
@Kaiser: I mean yeah I get that things can be beautiful just because they're beautiful. But the effort comes in trying to connect that beauty and symbolism to the story as a whole, which is something I honestly struggle to do with Flip Flappers. It just seems pretty gratuitous at this point.
I don't know I think flip flappers is probably deeper than people might give it credit for. I just don't have the time or energy to piece together the abstraction. Doesn't mean that the meaning doesn't exist, it's just hard (and possibly misguided) to uncover it on the first run through.
but i don't want to get into a "who is right" argument. it was just a wish of mine to get to know the persons view of the world and not just be part of his daily mood
yeah, but i could happen that you grow intelectual but not personal ;)
But theres no shame in watching a heavily thematic arthouse thing, liking it then going "didn't quite get/catch that" then looking up what it means.
But for going into things, analyzing them, I wasn't saying thats wrong, when I meant overanaylsis I meant people making shit up that isn't actually there.
And going too deep into thinking about that image shows the person is failing to understand that they were supposed to interact with it on an emotionally or spiritually intellectual level.
Rather than de-mystifying that image or losing its enigma.
I just think sometimes people forget that things can be entirely impressionistic or expressionist, people sometimes forget that images don't necessarily need a giant essay behind them or meaning or analysis. What I mean is you can have a 15 minute stretch of gorgeous looking images but the point is that you feel that or see the imagination and creativity because its beautiful.
It requires an understanding and a concept of life of the reviewer that highlights the right things, the things that widens the readers perspective, based on the narrow popculture consicousness that we have, sorry to be that dramatic...
Yeah, i don't mean that kind of overanalyzing :) so i.e. that beautiful picture of flip flappers to the left is so much more than the "character floating through an imaginary world" if you start to go into that, what it does with the viewers heart, you can write an essay weather it was the creators intention or not. that's the kind of thing i dream about and care to read
Of course afterwards they will certainly claim that they planned everything from the colour of toothpaste used but I take that with a grain of salt.
Plus the basic idea that the creator of a materiel is a complete mastermind who has internally planned out a massive series of symbolic comparisons and intricate threads which the vast majority of viewers would completely fail to see. And quite frankly, people just ain't that smart and have no reason to put in such massive effort.
The problem with overanalyzling however is that it's usually down to a series of simplifed concepts held together by a flimsy logical foundation. Like the ring theory of star wars.
...which is only achieved through what you call overanalyzing - at least in the internet world where only words count.
I wish people would "overanalyze" more. For me it get's pretty boring pretty fast to read something along the lines of "this wasn't good/perfect because i have seen better" - that's interesting as long as i need anothers opinion to get a feel for the materia. once you are somewhat experienced in life you only care for this sort of things if you know that persons view of the world...
@Mario: Would you say the Apichatphong Weerseethakul's films are worth looking into as "dream" films, always wanted to get into his work but it seems....daunting.
I'd imagine if you went looking you could probably find people who overanalyzed Eden of the east (as with anything) to where they saw something none of us could (or that they wanted to see). Something about young peopl in society was one look at it. But for me eden of the east was an undercooked thriller merged with a bad chick flick and the films ruined whatever good will I had for it.
I'm almost giddy with the possibility of this being the closest thing I get to Utena this decade (besides actual ikuhara works of course haha)
@ano327926: Boy, how true. agreed 100% with you here
"liberate pure illusion" is the new "revolutionize the world"
@mnei, that's hardly the only thing in Eden of the east that didn't make any sense. It was a great idea but boy...did the writing fail hard.
Anyone here watched Eden of East and got fucking confused as I do about why Akira had to wipe off his memories and ship NEETS to Dubai? He wasn't really deceived (in my opinion). He didn't have to send the NEETS anywhere either.
@Mario and from what I've heard, they skipped out a whoooole bunch of fanservicey training sessions that happened before the 1st episode. Dunno whether I'm happy or dissapointed with that
I swear Keijo's everyday training is much more intense than Saitama's
I goddamn love Drifters opening.

Flip Flappers 03d

Flip Flappers – 03 [Pure XLR]

Flip Flappers again raises the bar of what is expected of them, as this week the show goes even much trippier than the previous two weeks, and much darker too. They break out even their own formula, starting this episode right in the middle of desert wasteland. While this episode certainly reminds you a lot […]

Sound Eupho 2 03a

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 03 [Troubled Nocturnes]

This week, we follow an almost 24 hours of Kumiko practicing music, Kumiko interacting with other members, Kumiko having a sleepless night in a band camp, and that’s basically it. In a very Sound Eupho’s way of storytelling, there seems to be not much going on, but this episode actually lays a lot of groundworks […]

Occultic;Nine – 02 [My Cold Dimension]

After a disastrous first episode that has likely pushed away a number of viewers, Occultic;Nine decides to slow down it’s pacing to a more acceptable degree which is a good move. This does make the show much more watchable as the dialogue isn’t running off like a machine gun and we can actually take a […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 03 [Update Notice!]

Mahou Keikaku continues steady ahead though it’s writing still leaves something to be desired. In particular I was surprised as to just how lackluster the reveal was that whoever drops out is killed. The previous episode made it seem as though Fav was intentionally keeping that aspect in the dark with how he removed the […]

Drifters – 02 [Footsteps]

I originally wasn’t all that impressed with the Drifters manga but when looking at it in motion it truly shows its worth. i guess that is because of the very nature of this series being what it is. Looking at drawing of a man being cut in half and seeing a man be cut in […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 02 [Akari – Beyond the Bridge]

I’ve read some wonderful articles about Akiyuki Shinbo’s role at Shaft and let me lay this out for you. Anime fans seem to love/hate him for all the wrong reasons. Because his name always pop up in almost Shaft’s shows, together with Shaft’s very distinctive styles (to put it very mildly), anime viewers have often […]

WWW.Working!! – Episode 3

A-1 Pictures is a studio that created a lot of my favorite comedies, which have always been hit or misses. Yet they seem to have fallen off the deep-end on comedies recently, as they haven’t put out anything worthwhile (excluding sequels) since Silver Spoon in 2013. Maybe Zveda if I’m feeling generous…Either way, this one doesn’t seem to […]

Flip Flappers 02b

Flip Flappers – 02 [Pure Converter]

While I admit that I was impressed with the first episode of Flip Flappers, I had my worries as well. With a show that relies heavily on wild visuals, on their own brand of logic and very loose sense on plot, it walks a really tightrope to hold everything together for a full core season, […]

First Impressions: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2

It been awhile since I wrote anything for this site as I have been quite busy over the last few months and the summer season of anime didn’t interested me all that much. Having previously covered the first season of Iron-Blooded Orphans (on another site), I’m compelled to cover the second half in its entirety. […]

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373