Posted by psgels on 8 July 2012 with categories: Total Eclipse

I think that the four other shows that I’m going to blog this season are pretty obvious now, but as for why I chose Total Eclipse over the others:

– Tari Tari will only be 1 cour long. there is no way it’s going to live up to Hana-Saku Iroha with that.
– Moyashimon is just a series that you should watch, instead of talk about. Short blurbs each week are enough for that.
– In the same vein, I don’t really feel like blogging a comedy a la Binbou-gami ga.
– Kyoukai Senjo no Horizon is very creative, but it’s also completely forced and nonsensical.
– This episode was just that good.

I mean, I don’t care that this show is based on one of the best visual novels out there. It has the director of Rosario to Vampire assigned. After Persona 4 I really wasn’t looking forward to another butchered work, especially since Rosario to Vampire had absolutely terrible pacings and camera work, that were bad, far beyond their premises.

This episode however, was really intense. I did spot hints of this in the first episode in how uneventful it was by allowing the female lead to play out her character, but with this, they followed that up wonderfully with one heck of a horror episode, and even before that, this series took its characters seriously. this episode showed that this series can deliver good horror, even when censored and that in this series, people die when they’re killed.

Some criticisms though: why do all these monsters look the same? With that, it’s hard to keep track of whether you’re actually making progress or not. Also, there is supposed to be a real lead character? I like how he didn’t appear so far: screw those conventions. However, do expect me to drop this show when he turns out to be a generic harem lead…

Also, if this is supposed to be the cutting edge of mecha that are being deployed, then why are they used in hand to hand combat? Wouldn’t long range weapons make more sense, since these monsters can only fire along a limited distance? Overall, this show reminds me the most of Blue Gender, but where that series took place at the stage where the earth has been completely conquered, this series looks more into the conquering process. The question is, will the creators be able to make the plot as interesting?
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Essence says:

Yes there’s a lead character and he by all means should appear in the next episode. His name is Yuuya Bridges. Here’s the main cast.(He’s in the middle)

Also, to my knowledge he isn’t your typical harem lead. He’s suppose to be one of the best pilots in the world and he is not interested in starting relationships.

2. anonymous says:

>one of the bets pilots in the world
    >has never fought BETA before at the start of TE

• Essence says:

Sup anon? I only know the details from the first 4 chapters of the manga that have been translated and they were talking very highly of his piloting skills.

3. xRichard says:

>why are they used in hand to hand combat?
    Because ammunition and BETA Hive operations.

>these monsters can only fire along a limited distance?
    Haha, no. Their range, power and accuracy rate are absurdly high (they were not specified, but their power was pretty clear in the retreat) and they have never EVER shoot friendlies.
    From wiki:
    “Lux” Lasser-class: effective against targets of up to 10 kilometres high and 30 kilometres from the where the Laser-class stands. Capability to track targets from 38 kilometres away, 12 seconds in-between each shot

4. Loz says:

Another show I wont be watching.

Re-susing same scenes a few times in the same episode, which I suppose you could consider a little lazy. Gunfight, insert scene of insects advancing here, gunfight, insert same scene of advancing insect here(yawn). (also the OP is random scenes from the first ep, not that I care but just thought I’d point out)

To be fair none of that bothers me, but this show seems to take itself so seriously, but i just couldn’t. I kept thinking through this whole episode whether I was actually supposed to care what was happening to any of these characters? Its just I had no sense of belief or suspense watching it.

So if this things are falling short now I probably wont enjoy it going forward.

• meow says:

It’s a prologue flashback of Yui’s past. Even the OP is a remix of events from the 1st episode. The true OP should appear next week. Well, question mark to me how this story will work out though.

• meow says:

Another show I wont be watching.

But you know what, I think I’m with you. I don’t have the balls for shows like this.

• anonymous says:

Holy shit, I don’t think I’ve ever read anything more retarded. How are you even mentally functioning? “Reused scenes”? Are you fucking serious? Did you even watch the fucking episode?

• meow says:

I think he might be talking about the OP, which is basically a repeat of stuff that happened in episode one, as well as how the Beta are depicted most of the time, kind of like how they were depicted in the VN, as moving shapes with little animation or fluidity. The laser type close-ups in particular seemed to repeatedly use the same angle and the same burst of white. The production values in this episode seem limited. I think things will start heating up once the action gets to the Alaska base and the new TSF prototypes start showing up.

• Souther says:

They did literally re-use at least one or two shots of the BETA and the TSFs fighting them. Not the worst problem I had with the episode though, just a small issue.

5. meow says:

This is the Muv-luv Alternative universe for you. It’s brutal and merciless, although there’s also good war drama, strategy and tactics, character development and several glorious moments. No character is safe. I would not be too surprised if everyone is wiped out in the end. The original Alternative VN had moments that actually traumatized me. You should give it a try. I think it’s your cup of tea. But yes, there will be some fanservice. The Muv-Luv series was originally an adult visual novel, like Fate Stay Night, although Total Eclipse is a normal novel and I haven’t read it, like Fate Zero. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it though. Any harem-tropes and fanservice will probably be drowned out.

There’s supposed to be two leads. Yui is one of them.

You mean like beam weapons? Yeah. Think of the year. Did/do we have beam weapons around that time? The technology of the age is apparently supposed to be comparable to ours, modified for the fact that many parts of the Earth like Europe, Africa, etc have already been overrun/wiped out by the Beta. Humanity is stuck with machine guns and missiles but they apparently have realistic (aka pathetic) ammo limitations and, in actual battle, units are usually overrun and wiped out before they have a chance to go back to base and reload. Swords are actually the best weapons IMHO against Beta cos they don’t need ammo but the pilots need to be good enough to avoid getting chomped to bits. These girls are…half-trained cadets? One of the biggest advantage the Beta have are their Laser-type forms which quickly wipe out anything flying over a certain altitude. Rules out bombers and hit-and-run fighters and possibly ballistic missiles?

• mezzoguitar says:

Africa is safe from the BETA at the time of Alternative. Why would that be? Because the author says so.

• meow says:

I thought Africa was the landing point of the first Beta Hive from the moon? I don’t really remember. I only played Alternative once many years ago.

• anonymoose says:

Africa is safe because BETA never landed there and somehow everyone in the area has formed a strong enough coalition to keep them from crossing into Africa. But it’s still a shithole with no resources so BETA aren’t likely to really focus their attention all that much over there to begin with.

• meow says:

I see. So around this time, which areas had already been wiped out? I seem to remember Europe in particular. Where was the primary Hive located? The one in Alternative’s final battle?

6. anonymous says:

Squad terminology and formations (http://imgur.com/SGQKJ)
    Laser BETA ranges (http://imgur.com/u3oDt)

7. Longhaul says:

“if this is supposed to be the cutting edge of mecha that are being deployed”

The mech’s that they are in are actually older models, compare theirs to the one you see at the end of the episode doing the gun/blade dance.

8. Andmeuths says:

It really amuses me when you gloomily predict that the male protagonist is a generic harem lead.

Let’s put it this way. Someone once asked what happened if you threw a generic harem protagonists into the world of Muv Luv. The generally agreed answer was that the vast majority would die. Within weeks.

If you really hate “Generic Harem Protagonists” so much, then Muv Luv is the perfect hell for such Protagonists, a chance to redeem themselves an shed themselves of being labeled pathetic excuses of humanity. Or die.

9. AidanAK47 says:

I don’t think all Beta look the same. This episode did show different types of BETA. Just that there are many of the same type.
    The reason TSFs use hand to hand combat is because eventually ammo runs out. BETA have massive numbers. That’s the only reason humanity is losing. BETA have shown themselves to be pretty much incomprehensible. Nobody knows why Laser class only fire on airborne targets. They just do. The fact of the matter is that the only reason humanity is still alive is because a)BETA are too stupid to use there forces effectively or b)The don’t regard humanity as a threat. That’s one thing I thought Muv Luv did that no other apocalypse anime ever managed. It really showed that Humanity was well and truly f*cked.

10. kazid33 says:

At least, An anime that really show a great treat to the humanity. That battle was really good, show what a real war is and not the typical harem – war do nothing happen that we ultimatly see.

11. wicked says:

Muv-luv Alternative is some depressing stuff even though the end is “happy.” I guess ATE is the same tone

12. mezzoguitar says:

I’d like to caution the others here from revealing too much information about the VNs, especially the ending of Alternative. Muv-Luv is not something you want to be spoiled about.

• tktym says:

Bringing attention to the info dumping just makes it worse, as I didnt know there was info dumping in the first place, now that I know, I recognized I have been spoiled instead of not paying attention and forgetting about it. Thanks fucker.

• meow says:

There has been some but only in terms of setting and maybe story style/mood. I’d like to hope I haven’t actually spoiled anything. I know I didn’t spoil anything for TE since I don’t know much more about it than promotional material.

13. Souther says:

@mezzoguitar:
    Too late, there’s already been enough “info dumping” from impatient Muv-Luv fans. I respect their desire to respond, on a certain level, but can’t agree with their trigger-happy attitude.

As for the episode itself…yeah, I don’t think it was anywhere close to being “excellent” or even “very good” in terms of what actually happened. It came across as a bit too rushed and sloppy.

Did I have any reason to care about any of these characters, including Yui? Nope. That’s not taking the characters “seriously” when I basically just saw a bunch of extras die and even Yui herself doesn’t really have a personality worth mentioning.

Were the action sequences good enough to make up for that? No.

They did a decent job with a couple of brief scenes in terms of horror, I’ll give you that, but even the trained pilots came across as either stupid or incompetent given how they ignored tactics that they or someone else had already mentioned a few scenes before.

Seeing soldiers stand still and/or charge the enemy directly instead of trying to flee before being surrounded gets old fast.

Honestly, just because a series kills off characters “for real” doesn’t mean I will automatically find it particularly good at…everything else, to be quite honest. This came across as very lukewarm and half-hearted in terms of direction and production values.

• troy says:

-And, considered what I’ve unfortunately heard about the ending of the Muv-Luv Alternative VN, it’s a bit pointless to praise the series for its darkness.

If you mean by it that it being dark is a given then yeah kind of
      – if you mean that you read it was not dark you wre trolled

• Souther says:

I don’t feel like spoiling it here. Most of the game is apparently dark, yes, but I’m talking about what happens at the very end. Which doesn’t sound like a good idea, period.

• meow says:

Um…well I agree it doesn’t fit well with the bulk of the VN but IMHO it’s an appropriate ending if you take into account Extra and Unlimited and the unique nature of Alternative’s protagonist and the whole setting itself. Personally, I thought that, while Alternative was epic, it was pushed into that state due to extenuating circumstances during production. If you’ve played Extra/Unlimited, you might notice that Unlimited wasn’t nearly as intense as Alternative. It feels like between Extra/Unlimited and Alternative, things just ballooned out of control beyond the original intentions of the project into the epic that it was. I mean, come on, there are K*** characters in it!!! And stuff like Altered Fable, the Chronicles series and Total Eclipse feel like add-ons/follow-ups that pander to the series’s fans. I’m not even sure where TE fits in the Unlimited/Alternative timeline.

• troy says:

Ugh that was exactly what I thought you might mean but without spoiling like hell I can’t explain why you got it wrong. So let just put it like this try to say it after read the whole game, I dare you.

• meow says:

I’m pretty sure I did finish reading it, although my japanese isn’t great. I spent quite a bit of time discussing it on certain forums. I’m assuming you’re talking about how Alternative goes on into Altered Fable……right? Otherwise, link me to a forum entry or something that addresses the issue you want to raise – marking it with a SPOILER warning of course. XD I’m pretty curious about what you want to say.

• troy says:

Um my mistake I meant it as a reply to the guy above sorry for the confusion. Yes I was refering to what you thought I was. I didn’t mean anything ground breaking here for the novel reader, just precisly how “dark” the whole thing is which can be uderstood after expiriencing the whole thing first hand, not by reading a summary .
            Plus well let just say that as for what is written under spoiler tags in the first entry on this page I side with the pesimists: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/MuvLuv

• meow says:

Awesome link. Truth be told, I’ve been suffering from the aftereffects of TE nightmare fuel. A bit surprised I was affected at all. I thought Alternative h***c***p exposure would have immunized me. I’m trying to kill it with an overdose of school festival Chitanda moeness right now.

14. starry says:

I’m glad you liked it to even devote its own entry, this week’s episode showcased just how fucking brutal this series can get. I love the war drama and the worldbuild.

I’m not sure if I can rec the VN anyway. Alternative is my favorite visual novels and some of the highest production values to ever grace the VN industry, but you have to read two visual novels first – Muv Luv Extra and Unlimited. Extra is crap and Unlimited is okayish.

I don’t really think the aliens look all that the same, there’s eight different classes. It’s easier to keep up the insane numbers advantage they have with just eight types I guess.

15. Commenter says:

The mechs don’t have unlimited ammo, they only started to melee when they ran out of the good stuff.
    I kinda felt this episode coming, but it was done a lot better than expected.

Also, on why the aliens are the same model…. Perhaps they’re manufactured or grown clones or so? Like the synths(strider, gunship) from half-life 2? Or just because it would be too expensive to model all of them differently.

16. RABUJOI says:

At the end of the first episode, we weren’t feeling all that confident that a small pack of green teenagers in cumbersome mecha would be able to hold off a SEA of merciless aliens. The sense of hopelessness is really well-portrayed, and even though we knew it would be a massive defeat and Kyoto would fall (no eleventh-hour deus ex machina), we were STILL unprepared for just how brutal and intense the carnage would be. We’re talking ultra-traumatic ordeals here. Forget living up to her honorable family name; Yui has to try to just maintain her SANITY after watching her friends get EATEN. It’s powerful stuff, but we hope a ray of light shines through all the darkness soon. Yui and humanity need a victory…any victory.

17. IHaveAWang says:

Psgels why are you comparing Tari Tari to Hanasaku Iroha? Tari Tari is not HanaSaku Iroha. Why so quick to judge?

• psgels psgels says:

Hana-Saku Iroha is not the main issue, this show is just the first thing that PA works did after Hana-Saku Iroha, and there are a few resemblances here and there. My main issue with Tari Tari is that I don’t believe that it can get any memorable with only 12 or 13 episodes. It doesn’t seem like the type of series that can get the most out of that time-frame.

18. RABUJOI says:

Comparisons to Tari Tari are inevitable, and it will be tough to live up to Hanasaku with only 12-13 episodes to work with, but we’re going to watch it and see how close they get. We were impressed with just how much happened in just the second episode, which was encouraging, because it indicates they know they have to make each episode count.

Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.
I will listen to the podcast more in full later. But I was surprised after asking/suggesting it on the discord, that it came so soon.
I am thinking of re-watching gasaraki and ai yori aoshi.
@Niello: Perhaps after a while of watch the anime I will simply jump on to the manga.
I watched Resident Evil: Vendetta yesterday. It's incredible dumb but kind of fun. I do wonder if in terms of entertainment are like the best videogame based movies. Since it plays like a videogame, it's based on a videogame and is more or less in line with the tone the series has had for a while.
niello
It's such a shame that Golden Kamuy art direction is such a train wreck.
and for the sake of Clausewitz there is clinical term for what Reinhard did. It is called "defeat in detail". Napoleon was a master of it. Proper way to defeat it , is to order the threatened force to retreat to a point where other allied forces are converging. The enemy will either have to retreat, or fight at a disadvantage. The 1813 and 1814 campaigns against Napoleon are examples of that.
Episode 2 of LOGGH: Der Neue Thesis was much better than the first. The music is still an issue, but Yang was well portrayed. I do think there is lack of the directors in showing the cruelty of war, like the first one did. We will see.
@Mario: Still need to see his short films and black Peter.
@Anon: I already know the manga and enjoy it, think the anime is a good adaption so far. Feels good to see a series about video games that are actually just games and romance without tsunderes, tons of blushing or unworldly naive harem girls.
Anonymous2016456
the anime
Anonymous2016456
how do you guys think of wotakoi?
@Kaiser: Hereditary sounds pretty promising here
Forman's an interesting case, when you look at the huge disconnect from his early films from the 60s and then what he went on to make.
Ah, unfortunately I am not a fan of country music so Nashville didn't appeal to me =<
@Mario: And before Jack kept playing the same role over and over.
@Mario: Aside from Courtney Love's presence, Larry Flynt is an excellent film. I love the custom camera tricks Kubrick used in Lyndon , dog day afternoon suceeded for me because it did so much more than being just a bank rob film. I wish Spielberg would return to his pre-90s films .
Cuckoo's Nest reminds me of the great 1975 Oscar Best Picture, which for me was Oscar's greatest line-up. The line-ups for that year were: Cuckoo Nest (winner), Nashville, Barry Landon, Dog Day Afternoon and Jaws
@Kaiser: RIP the man. I've seen 2 of his, Amadeus and Cuckoo Nest. Both great but they were more because of the strength of the source
@Mario: Milos forman has died =<
Indeed the character designs in steins; gate have seen changes....shockingly mayuri's chest is larger than Daru's ;)
I can live with that. Interested to see what made you reserved.
@KTravlos: you won't agree with my series review then. I have a lot of reservations on VE
Also I finished Violet Evergarden. This was an exceptional series in my book.
the two characters. Finally the battle soundtrack was simply wrong.

I am going to watch it because it is LOGH. And frankly after watching the new one I felt the fact that the old one was dated technical wise (but not in music). But at least on comparison of first episodes, the old one did a better job at giving depth to Reinhard and Keircheis.
well I watched the first episode of the new LOGH and then watched the first episode of the older version. The update in the art is good..but. If the old one was too talky, this one is too boom boom. I also felt that they did not sue the time well to establish Reihard and Kircheis well. Especially the removal of some lines that were in the first episode of the original, really took away a lot from
@Amagi: I can see your point but what a premise for Golden Kamuy.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Darling in the Franxx – 10-12[The City of Eternity/Partner Shuffle/The Garden Where It All Began]

Three episode coverage this week as many things got in the way of my casual blogging, the much late preview being one of them. I must say that the last few episodes of Franxx have been quite strong as we have had a string of character development episodes which have really fleshed out the cast. […]

“I wallow in anime mediocrity”

For me a mediocre show is one that I can watch and enjoy, but which does not really break new ground in elements of animation, story, or cinematography, or does not “move” me. It does not if you will touch the “higher” emotions and faculties of who I am, but does leave me satisfied at […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]