Posted by psgels on 8 July 2012 with categories: Total Eclipse

I think that the four other shows that I’m going to blog this season are pretty obvious now, but as for why I chose Total Eclipse over the others:

– Tari Tari will only be 1 cour long. there is no way it’s going to live up to Hana-Saku Iroha with that.
– Moyashimon is just a series that you should watch, instead of talk about. Short blurbs each week are enough for that.
– In the same vein, I don’t really feel like blogging a comedy a la Binbou-gami ga.
– Kyoukai Senjo no Horizon is very creative, but it’s also completely forced and nonsensical.
– This episode was just that good.

I mean, I don’t care that this show is based on one of the best visual novels out there. It has the director of Rosario to Vampire assigned. After Persona 4 I really wasn’t looking forward to another butchered work, especially since Rosario to Vampire had absolutely terrible pacings and camera work, that were bad, far beyond their premises.

This episode however, was really intense. I did spot hints of this in the first episode in how uneventful it was by allowing the female lead to play out her character, but with this, they followed that up wonderfully with one heck of a horror episode, and even before that, this series took its characters seriously. this episode showed that this series can deliver good horror, even when censored and that in this series, people die when they’re killed.

Some criticisms though: why do all these monsters look the same? With that, it’s hard to keep track of whether you’re actually making progress or not. Also, there is supposed to be a real lead character? I like how he didn’t appear so far: screw those conventions. However, do expect me to drop this show when he turns out to be a generic harem lead…

Also, if this is supposed to be the cutting edge of mecha that are being deployed, then why are they used in hand to hand combat? Wouldn’t long range weapons make more sense, since these monsters can only fire along a limited distance? Overall, this show reminds me the most of Blue Gender, but where that series took place at the stage where the earth has been completely conquered, this series looks more into the conquering process. The question is, will the creators be able to make the plot as interesting?
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Essence says:

Yes there’s a lead character and he by all means should appear in the next episode. His name is Yuuya Bridges. Here’s the main cast.(He’s in the middle)

Also, to my knowledge he isn’t your typical harem lead. He’s suppose to be one of the best pilots in the world and he is not interested in starting relationships.

2. anonymous says:

>one of the bets pilots in the world
    >has never fought BETA before at the start of TE

• Essence says:

Sup anon? I only know the details from the first 4 chapters of the manga that have been translated and they were talking very highly of his piloting skills.

3. xRichard says:

>why are they used in hand to hand combat?
    Because ammunition and BETA Hive operations.

>these monsters can only fire along a limited distance?
    Haha, no. Their range, power and accuracy rate are absurdly high (they were not specified, but their power was pretty clear in the retreat) and they have never EVER shoot friendlies.
    From wiki:
    “Lux” Lasser-class: effective against targets of up to 10 kilometres high and 30 kilometres from the where the Laser-class stands. Capability to track targets from 38 kilometres away, 12 seconds in-between each shot

4. Loz says:

Another show I wont be watching.

Re-susing same scenes a few times in the same episode, which I suppose you could consider a little lazy. Gunfight, insert scene of insects advancing here, gunfight, insert same scene of advancing insect here(yawn). (also the OP is random scenes from the first ep, not that I care but just thought I’d point out)

To be fair none of that bothers me, but this show seems to take itself so seriously, but i just couldn’t. I kept thinking through this whole episode whether I was actually supposed to care what was happening to any of these characters? Its just I had no sense of belief or suspense watching it.

So if this things are falling short now I probably wont enjoy it going forward.

• meow says:

It’s a prologue flashback of Yui’s past. Even the OP is a remix of events from the 1st episode. The true OP should appear next week. Well, question mark to me how this story will work out though.

• meow says:

Another show I wont be watching.

But you know what, I think I’m with you. I don’t have the balls for shows like this.

• anonymous says:

Holy shit, I don’t think I’ve ever read anything more retarded. How are you even mentally functioning? “Reused scenes”? Are you fucking serious? Did you even watch the fucking episode?

• meow says:

I think he might be talking about the OP, which is basically a repeat of stuff that happened in episode one, as well as how the Beta are depicted most of the time, kind of like how they were depicted in the VN, as moving shapes with little animation or fluidity. The laser type close-ups in particular seemed to repeatedly use the same angle and the same burst of white. The production values in this episode seem limited. I think things will start heating up once the action gets to the Alaska base and the new TSF prototypes start showing up.

• Souther says:

They did literally re-use at least one or two shots of the BETA and the TSFs fighting them. Not the worst problem I had with the episode though, just a small issue.

5. meow says:

This is the Muv-luv Alternative universe for you. It’s brutal and merciless, although there’s also good war drama, strategy and tactics, character development and several glorious moments. No character is safe. I would not be too surprised if everyone is wiped out in the end. The original Alternative VN had moments that actually traumatized me. You should give it a try. I think it’s your cup of tea. But yes, there will be some fanservice. The Muv-Luv series was originally an adult visual novel, like Fate Stay Night, although Total Eclipse is a normal novel and I haven’t read it, like Fate Zero. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it though. Any harem-tropes and fanservice will probably be drowned out.

There’s supposed to be two leads. Yui is one of them.

You mean like beam weapons? Yeah. Think of the year. Did/do we have beam weapons around that time? The technology of the age is apparently supposed to be comparable to ours, modified for the fact that many parts of the Earth like Europe, Africa, etc have already been overrun/wiped out by the Beta. Humanity is stuck with machine guns and missiles but they apparently have realistic (aka pathetic) ammo limitations and, in actual battle, units are usually overrun and wiped out before they have a chance to go back to base and reload. Swords are actually the best weapons IMHO against Beta cos they don’t need ammo but the pilots need to be good enough to avoid getting chomped to bits. These girls are…half-trained cadets? One of the biggest advantage the Beta have are their Laser-type forms which quickly wipe out anything flying over a certain altitude. Rules out bombers and hit-and-run fighters and possibly ballistic missiles?

• mezzoguitar says:

Africa is safe from the BETA at the time of Alternative. Why would that be? Because the author says so.

• meow says:

I thought Africa was the landing point of the first Beta Hive from the moon? I don’t really remember. I only played Alternative once many years ago.

• anonymoose says:

Africa is safe because BETA never landed there and somehow everyone in the area has formed a strong enough coalition to keep them from crossing into Africa. But it’s still a shithole with no resources so BETA aren’t likely to really focus their attention all that much over there to begin with.

• meow says:

I see. So around this time, which areas had already been wiped out? I seem to remember Europe in particular. Where was the primary Hive located? The one in Alternative’s final battle?

6. anonymous says:

Squad terminology and formations (http://imgur.com/SGQKJ)
    Laser BETA ranges (http://imgur.com/u3oDt)

7. Longhaul says:

“if this is supposed to be the cutting edge of mecha that are being deployed”

The mech’s that they are in are actually older models, compare theirs to the one you see at the end of the episode doing the gun/blade dance.

8. Andmeuths says:

It really amuses me when you gloomily predict that the male protagonist is a generic harem lead.

Let’s put it this way. Someone once asked what happened if you threw a generic harem protagonists into the world of Muv Luv. The generally agreed answer was that the vast majority would die. Within weeks.

If you really hate “Generic Harem Protagonists” so much, then Muv Luv is the perfect hell for such Protagonists, a chance to redeem themselves an shed themselves of being labeled pathetic excuses of humanity. Or die.

9. AidanAK47 says:

I don’t think all Beta look the same. This episode did show different types of BETA. Just that there are many of the same type.
    The reason TSFs use hand to hand combat is because eventually ammo runs out. BETA have massive numbers. That’s the only reason humanity is losing. BETA have shown themselves to be pretty much incomprehensible. Nobody knows why Laser class only fire on airborne targets. They just do. The fact of the matter is that the only reason humanity is still alive is because a)BETA are too stupid to use there forces effectively or b)The don’t regard humanity as a threat. That’s one thing I thought Muv Luv did that no other apocalypse anime ever managed. It really showed that Humanity was well and truly f*cked.

10. kazid33 says:

At least, An anime that really show a great treat to the humanity. That battle was really good, show what a real war is and not the typical harem – war do nothing happen that we ultimatly see.

11. wicked says:

Muv-luv Alternative is some depressing stuff even though the end is “happy.” I guess ATE is the same tone

12. mezzoguitar says:

I’d like to caution the others here from revealing too much information about the VNs, especially the ending of Alternative. Muv-Luv is not something you want to be spoiled about.

• tktym says:

Bringing attention to the info dumping just makes it worse, as I didnt know there was info dumping in the first place, now that I know, I recognized I have been spoiled instead of not paying attention and forgetting about it. Thanks fucker.

• meow says:

There has been some but only in terms of setting and maybe story style/mood. I’d like to hope I haven’t actually spoiled anything. I know I didn’t spoil anything for TE since I don’t know much more about it than promotional material.

13. Souther says:

@mezzoguitar:
    Too late, there’s already been enough “info dumping” from impatient Muv-Luv fans. I respect their desire to respond, on a certain level, but can’t agree with their trigger-happy attitude.

As for the episode itself…yeah, I don’t think it was anywhere close to being “excellent” or even “very good” in terms of what actually happened. It came across as a bit too rushed and sloppy.

Did I have any reason to care about any of these characters, including Yui? Nope. That’s not taking the characters “seriously” when I basically just saw a bunch of extras die and even Yui herself doesn’t really have a personality worth mentioning.

Were the action sequences good enough to make up for that? No.

They did a decent job with a couple of brief scenes in terms of horror, I’ll give you that, but even the trained pilots came across as either stupid or incompetent given how they ignored tactics that they or someone else had already mentioned a few scenes before.

Seeing soldiers stand still and/or charge the enemy directly instead of trying to flee before being surrounded gets old fast.

Honestly, just because a series kills off characters “for real” doesn’t mean I will automatically find it particularly good at…everything else, to be quite honest. This came across as very lukewarm and half-hearted in terms of direction and production values.

• troy says:

-And, considered what I’ve unfortunately heard about the ending of the Muv-Luv Alternative VN, it’s a bit pointless to praise the series for its darkness.

If you mean by it that it being dark is a given then yeah kind of
      – if you mean that you read it was not dark you wre trolled

• Souther says:

I don’t feel like spoiling it here. Most of the game is apparently dark, yes, but I’m talking about what happens at the very end. Which doesn’t sound like a good idea, period.

• meow says:

Um…well I agree it doesn’t fit well with the bulk of the VN but IMHO it’s an appropriate ending if you take into account Extra and Unlimited and the unique nature of Alternative’s protagonist and the whole setting itself. Personally, I thought that, while Alternative was epic, it was pushed into that state due to extenuating circumstances during production. If you’ve played Extra/Unlimited, you might notice that Unlimited wasn’t nearly as intense as Alternative. It feels like between Extra/Unlimited and Alternative, things just ballooned out of control beyond the original intentions of the project into the epic that it was. I mean, come on, there are K*** characters in it!!! And stuff like Altered Fable, the Chronicles series and Total Eclipse feel like add-ons/follow-ups that pander to the series’s fans. I’m not even sure where TE fits in the Unlimited/Alternative timeline.

• troy says:

Ugh that was exactly what I thought you might mean but without spoiling like hell I can’t explain why you got it wrong. So let just put it like this try to say it after read the whole game, I dare you.

• meow says:

I’m pretty sure I did finish reading it, although my japanese isn’t great. I spent quite a bit of time discussing it on certain forums. I’m assuming you’re talking about how Alternative goes on into Altered Fable……right? Otherwise, link me to a forum entry or something that addresses the issue you want to raise – marking it with a SPOILER warning of course. XD I’m pretty curious about what you want to say.

• troy says:

Um my mistake I meant it as a reply to the guy above sorry for the confusion. Yes I was refering to what you thought I was. I didn’t mean anything ground breaking here for the novel reader, just precisly how “dark” the whole thing is which can be uderstood after expiriencing the whole thing first hand, not by reading a summary .
            Plus well let just say that as for what is written under spoiler tags in the first entry on this page I side with the pesimists: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/MuvLuv

• meow says:

Awesome link. Truth be told, I’ve been suffering from the aftereffects of TE nightmare fuel. A bit surprised I was affected at all. I thought Alternative h***c***p exposure would have immunized me. I’m trying to kill it with an overdose of school festival Chitanda moeness right now.

14. starry says:

I’m glad you liked it to even devote its own entry, this week’s episode showcased just how fucking brutal this series can get. I love the war drama and the worldbuild.

I’m not sure if I can rec the VN anyway. Alternative is my favorite visual novels and some of the highest production values to ever grace the VN industry, but you have to read two visual novels first – Muv Luv Extra and Unlimited. Extra is crap and Unlimited is okayish.

I don’t really think the aliens look all that the same, there’s eight different classes. It’s easier to keep up the insane numbers advantage they have with just eight types I guess.

15. Commenter says:

The mechs don’t have unlimited ammo, they only started to melee when they ran out of the good stuff.
    I kinda felt this episode coming, but it was done a lot better than expected.

Also, on why the aliens are the same model…. Perhaps they’re manufactured or grown clones or so? Like the synths(strider, gunship) from half-life 2? Or just because it would be too expensive to model all of them differently.

16. RABUJOI says:

At the end of the first episode, we weren’t feeling all that confident that a small pack of green teenagers in cumbersome mecha would be able to hold off a SEA of merciless aliens. The sense of hopelessness is really well-portrayed, and even though we knew it would be a massive defeat and Kyoto would fall (no eleventh-hour deus ex machina), we were STILL unprepared for just how brutal and intense the carnage would be. We’re talking ultra-traumatic ordeals here. Forget living up to her honorable family name; Yui has to try to just maintain her SANITY after watching her friends get EATEN. It’s powerful stuff, but we hope a ray of light shines through all the darkness soon. Yui and humanity need a victory…any victory.

17. IHaveAWang says:

Psgels why are you comparing Tari Tari to Hanasaku Iroha? Tari Tari is not HanaSaku Iroha. Why so quick to judge?

• psgels psgels says:

Hana-Saku Iroha is not the main issue, this show is just the first thing that PA works did after Hana-Saku Iroha, and there are a few resemblances here and there. My main issue with Tari Tari is that I don’t believe that it can get any memorable with only 12 or 13 episodes. It doesn’t seem like the type of series that can get the most out of that time-frame.

18. RABUJOI says:

Comparisons to Tari Tari are inevitable, and it will be tough to live up to Hanasaku with only 12-13 episodes to work with, but we’re going to watch it and see how close they get. We were impressed with just how much happened in just the second episode, which was encouraging, because it indicates they know they have to make each episode count.

btw I really liked this Mahoutsukai no Yome episode. Finally we are getting somewhere
@Kaiser: You're right, totally forgot that. Looking forward to this. Also I could have sworn I heard about a new project from Iso (Dennou Coil) last year but I guess I either confused him with someone else or with Children of Ether in which he's involved in some kind of way.
@Amagi: That series was going to be devilman crybaby .
Wasn't Yuasa also doing a series of some sort this year? Haven't watched the movies yet but I loved most of his stuff so far, with Kaiba being my favorite.
Wow, Houseki did not disappoint for me this week.
I enjoyed it for what it was. But I'd say even if you didn't read the subs you probably wouldn't have much trouble following it.
I actually had a look and lu over the wall, coincidentally , there are moments of where Yuasa's imagination/visuals shine through and its a genuinely charming film at times, but it does almost outstay its welcome and there's a sense Yuasa was somewhat restrained this time round, it IS a kids movie and that kind of does need to be taken into account, its not AS mad as mind game or kemonozume.
Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta is subbed, but no idea if the subs are good
And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei

Girls’ Last Tour – 07 [Labyrinth – Cooking]

After one of the most plot-heavy episode last week, Girls’ Last Tour goes back to its minimalist root this time, with only the girls and two interior settings. This could be Girls’ Last Tour’s simplest episode, with the plot can be summed up as those girls go to the ration production facility, at first slightly […]

Inuyashiki – 6 [People of 2chan]

This week Inuyashiki fulfills last weeks predictions in a rather unexpected way. Strap in for some suicide, mass murder and the tail-spin of everyone’s favorite sociopath. Lets jump in! Rather than being a parallel between our two heroes like usual, this episode is focused almost entirely on Hiro. To me, this episode hits loosely on […]

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100