Posted by psgels on 1 August 2012 with categories: Manga Experiment

This week I’m going to leave the series I usually check out for what they are for now, focusing on some first impressions from the stuff that everyone has been recommending for the past month.

The Lives of Eccentrics – ch.01-02: Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is getting a new anime. Now, I am not going to check out that behemoth of a manga for this, but its author did write a bunch of short stories, compiled together in The Lives of Eccentrics. The first two chapters are this extreme look on the life of baseball player Ty Cobb, who is seen as one of the most legendary players of all time. Think of a recollection of the most hot blooded chapters of his life (and this guy was violent). It’s a good character-study, and it definitely has the kind of passion in it that makes me curious what Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure will be about. Again though: baseball scenes seem to miss something if they don’t move.

Skyhigh – ch.01: This one is by the same author of Hito Hitori Futari, and you can definitely see the similarities in both the art style and themes. This series too focuses on a depiction of the afterlife, only this time it’s straight up horror, and this first chapter immediately delved into the disturbing images and scenes. Overall, I think I prefer Hito Hitori over this: it had more charm and personality, while this was trying to go for the shock factor a bit too much too fast.

Coelacanth – ch.01: This one’s a mystery story. For the largest part of this chapter, I didn’t really know where it wanted to go: it had this story here about this dead teacher, but the main characters didn’t really seem to be related to it. After that though, it went into a completely different direction that made much more sense, but it at the same time used a lot of commonly used tropes, while the first half had that much less. Most of this first chapter was building up. It did that nicely for the female lead and did well in showing her state of mind. Plus, there is that sheep.

Olimpos – ch.01: As the title might suggest, this is about the Greek gods. In particular, it’s a shoujo-esque story that bishifies a few gods, like Apollo and puts a random Christian Japanese guy in the middle of it. His role in it is rather questionable, but this opening chapter did have a bit of a weird premise, in which this guy actually had to try and convince a God to cooperate. The second half of the chapter did quite well and put some emotions into it, although it still was a bit too angsty for my tastes. There may be a good explanation for this, though.

Sheet no Sukima (Oneshot): This week, I’m checking out lots of different chapters on a whim, based only on your recommendations over the past weeks. This one was among them. It’s about the sexual relationship between a worker and her boss. Imagine the worker as the female version of those horny male leads of fanservice shows, only she actually dives straight into sex. This… definitely was something different. But, to be honest, this was quite hilarious. The mind of the author was very clearly in the gutter, but the jokes were very well delivered and this actually played with its mood quite effectively, being hilarious one page, then completely neutral the next, to actually quite dark near the end.

Kare no Satsujin Keikaku (Oneshot): Okay, so I failed to get through Bokura no, but Mohiro Kitoh also wrote a bunch of short stories. This is one about a Light-esque high school boy who wants to kill someone. This isn’t like Death Note where it turns into a cat and mouse game, but he definitely is brilliant, and this short story details the steps he takes to achieve his goals in nice detail. Nice ending as well.

+Anima – Ch.01: This one is a bit longer than the others I’ve checked out this week (currently there are already 10 volumes out), and it’s a shounen-esque adventure story with main characters who can transform into half-animals. It’s got themes of oppression and cross-dressing in it. This one is pretty whimsical, with the usual spunky lead character and more serious side-character, but it has potential. They’ve got a nice chemistry together, but I do wonder how long it will take before this series will get anywhere.

The Music of Marie – Ch.01: My purpose of this week is to check out as many different first chapters as possible, to continue with the ones I like best next weeks. So far, The Music of Marie is the one I like best of this bunch, due to the detail it provides on its setting, in just its first chapter. It’s both creative and well fleshed out. The main character has an interesting ability and the characters so far are colorful, yet believable.

Shingeki no Kyojin – Ch.01: The one who recommended this put a note next to it, saying “giant killing”. Silly me thought that that meant that this was a sports series in the same vein as Giant Killing, instead of… killing actual giants. The art in this one is really weird: one panel it’s really good, and the other it’s really bad. What bothered me the most was the speed-lines it abused during random panels. The setting for this one has potential, although the main character is waaaay too naive for his own good.

I am a Hero – Ch.01: Here is one that kept returning on the lists people recommended to me, and I can see why: this one is really well drawn. It’s not the individual drawings that impressed me, but rather how every panel shows the main character from a different angle and with a different facial expression, and all of them are well-drawn. I have no idea what this is about because it’s just 40 pages of a guy sitting in his room, but I like that idea a lot.

A Lollipop or a Bullet – Ch.01: The title of this one contains two things that are completely different from each other, and that also characterizes the contents of this first chapter: it starts off in a perfectly normal setting, about an ordinary schoolgirl who wants to join the military. And then, wham: mermaids! It’s a bit of a weird mix, and eventually this showed its colors as a coming of age story, but the author did create a very good introduction chapter here that served its purpose in making me curious by using vague but meaningful foreshadowing.

Ludwig Revolution – Ch.01: With all these seinen manga, I wanted some change of pace and check out more shoujo-series, whose style I really enjoyed so far. Finding some good recommendations was difficult though, especially since I didn’t want to go with manga versions of anime I had already seen (Please Save My Earth and Amatsuki indeed are brilliant, but with this experiment I really want to check out new stuff). My eye then fell on 7 Seeds, but that one is way too damn long right now (22 volumes!). My eye then fell on Ludwig Revolution, a manga that aims to perverse famous fairy tales. This first chapter was about Snow White, and it changes around roles, while also being faithful to the original story by the Grimm Brothers on other points. Especially that Prince was hilarious, and I like a lot how detailed the art is; together with the dialogue it told a very good standalone story and the flow between panels may not have been as good as with Shimizu Reiko’s stories, it still felt engaging. It’s all quite dark for a shoujo-series, but that definitely gives it extra charm.

Iguana no Musume (Oneshot): This is a very weird one-shot, about a girl who is born as an Iguana. We actually get to see the first thirty years of her life and how she grows up. What really struck me was her relationship with her mother that deals with things as favoritism and parental abuse. It was quite emotional and well done, and also had a pretty great ending.

Haruyuki Bus – Ch.01: This manga is supposed to be a collection of the essence of shoujo manga, but I didn’t really like it. This first chapter suffered from a lack of dialogue: people hardly said anything meaningful besides three-word sentences, and it all felt disjointed because of this. On top of that, the story is just too average: there was nothing special about it, it’s just another shoujo romance, and not a good one at that.

1. boo says:

I should have had mentioned that the Skyhigh series (as there are also Skyhigh: Karma , Skyhigh: Hévәn, Skyhigh: Shinshou, Skyhigh 4) is an adult version of Jigoku Shoujo.

It’s horror (while Hito Hitori is more on paranormal side so far) however I don’t think it relays on shock value, even though you could say that Tsutomu Takahashi tends to write grim stories (except perhaps for Tetsuwan Girl?). I’m curious what was so shocking in this particular story for you? If anything I’ve found the first story a bit predictable, but shocking? Not much. Reminded me of couple Japanese horror films.

For me in the first volume chapters 3-5 were the most interesting. You can pretty much read them as oneshots, though, if i remember correctly, the first volume was a build up as later on you get to learn more about the Gate Keeper.

All that said, yes his latest, Hito Hitori Futari, seems to take a much lighter turn, plus after all these years he is more mature as an author.

2. elianthos says:

Oooh, going by the summary the Sheet No Sukima oneshot you read is Sheherazade (is the boss’ name Shinogami *insert shinigami jokes here*? )XD. In a way it’s the embryonic version of her latter Butterfly, Flowers series. It’s also probably one of her best oneshots .
    Be warned: when she Yoshihara gets serious dark , her stories gets *very* dark (for instance: Izayoi. You’ll see.). I tend to prefer her comedic ones and the dramedy ones like Sheherazade, but maybe you’ll enjoy the dark ones more.
    And yes, she’s pretty in the gutter usually. Sheherazade is not even her most gutter-ific output (that would be Darling Wa and Itadakimasu probably).
    In a world where both IRL and on paper Japanes women are beating around the sexual bush – or are expected to do so … even in smut, unless they are put in pseudo-rape situations and/or are doormats to the alpha male du jour – I find Yoshihara’s approach pretty refreshing XD.

Coelacanth is probably my fav out of Kayoko-sensei’s stories together with the Labyrinth one. I like the combination of her fluid lines and clear art with the seemingly contrasting tone of her stories, even if sometimes she leaves loose ends.

I’ll have to check Olympos… I’ve had it in my rediung list for the longest time but never started to reading it for one reason or another XD.

• boo says:

Yes, that’s exactly what i love about Yoshihara works! There are not that many authors who portrait women to have carnal desires without resorting to the trope of manipulative slut or dominatrix. Nodame in Nodame Cantabile also has this traits (but she is an eccentric) and Satoko in Ikenai Candy Love (although her character is a mixed bag of lustful damsel in distress until the very end). Sayako in Sakuranbo Syndrome often morphs into a male fantasy, but also has her moments….(Kitazaki Taku tends to make his females aware of their sexual desires, but he can’t help to write his stories from the male perspective)

Sheet no Sukima is pretty well rounded anthology, you get to see her more earlier works in it too (circa 2002). I think “Kizuato” is the more darkish one.

• elianthos says:

@Boo: *high-fives* yep.
        I couldn’t remember the title, but yes, Kizuato is pretty dark as well (the ‘lady’ and scarred ‘servant’ one if I remember correctly. Unless my memory is tricking me again and you’re referring to the cousins one instead).

Ah well, Nodame was possessive but not exactly prone to express/formulate her desire in canon ways beyond wishing for kisses and lovey-dovey fantasies. Otherwise whenever she acted on her love feelings – and getting physical/intimate – it was in… odd ways X,D. Pretty much like her attitude to music and food really.

3. Red says:

lol I remember Coelacanth and the sheep. It was a nice read! You should check out her other works. :3

If you’re looking for other manga to read, I think you might enjoy Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan (its just one volume long) and maybe Shingeki no Kyojin. Shingeki is longer + ongoing, but I really think you’ll (and anybody else) will love it. Its different from other shounens.
    Both mangas have the tragedy genre though so its understandable if you choose not to read them. I rarely do.

4. Kaiser Eoghan says:

If you are looking for oneshots I would srongly recommend anything by Moto hagio.

5. KaZuHiRo says:

Psgels, please check out Afterschool (Houkago) Charisma!

6. someloser says:

oneshots eh? now that I think about it, how about some Ray Bradbury? Hox had recently translated “U wa Uchuusen no U” which is the commercialization of 8 short stories from the famed american author.

also, some Kitoh (bokurano, narutaru) would be quite interesting, which is why I’m recommending the oneshot, Kare no Satsujin Keikaku, (his murder plan) which is only about 30 some pages.

since you haven’t tried out any of Asano Ino’s works, I’m also going to recommend Subarashii Sekai (what a wonderful world). Though oyasumi punpun remains ino’s most famed work, Subarashii Sekai consists of short stories that represents ino’s style, so you don’t have to go through 10 volumes.

Douman saiman/ Dowman sayman, usually when I first think of this dude’s name, I end up remembering the dude’s weird 4-page mindscrew h-manga. Luckily he has also written a collection of odd romance short stories called “Nickelodeon” consisting off all the mindscrew and none of the H, in about 9 pages each.

7. Kirsten says:

Oh wow, I’ve read everything in this post ^_^
    Keep on with the Lives of Eccentrics. The Ty Cob chapters weren’t drawn by the Jojo’s guy, and are (visually) much weaker than the ones that were imo.

8. Firechick says:

What a scary coincidence, Psgels! I JUST started reading Bokurano yesterday (got up to Mako’s arc)!

9. Guigas says:

Th Music of Marie is FANTASTIC. Completely unkwnown by the general public, this is one of the few great short mangas out there. Keep it up, it’ll end up by being the best manga you’re reading for now.

10. hgfdsahjkl says:

what about trying HxH Ant arc ?

11. Samavarti says:

Glad to see you liked Music of Marie first chapter, is a great manga.

12. Cytl says:

Seems like you haven’t read the synopsis of I’m hero, right Psgels? DON’T DO IT. You’ll enjoy things more this way.

13. Firechick says:

YES! Psgels, keep reading +Anima! I own all ten volumes, and I will tell you it is a fantasy done absolutely right! Please continue with it until the end! It’s soooooo worth it!

14. Anca says:

You checked out Ludwig Revolution! Yay! Kaori Yuki is really my favorite mangaka. Ludwig Revolution may not be her best work, but its definitely her funniest; all her works are very dark and bloody for shoujo.

You should laos check out CLAMP’s new Gate 7 for some incredibly beautiful art

15. Kirsten says:

For shoujo oneshots, I enthusiastically second all the Moto Hagio praise. She was one of the female shoujo mangaka from the 70s that completely revolutionized the genre, and everything she’s written still holds up really well. Iguana Girl, Hanshin: Half God, and They Were Eleven are good starting points.

16. K4nr4 says:

that picture of the girl with the scarf which manga is that?

17. Ebisu says:

Another seinen you could try is Haruka 17.
    Idol business.

• Ebisu says:

Oh, and I could also add two slice of life though they are not also one-shots
      3-gatsu no lion (shogi) and Saturn Apartments (sci-fi)

18. Cholisose says:

I like these posts–it gives me some ideas for things to check out in the future as well.

For a bunch of shoujo one-shots, I’ll recommend Haruyuki Bus. It’s basically the essence of what it means to be a shoujo manga, compressed into a series of single-chapter stories.

For a really great shoujo manga that’s not too long and not adapted into an anime, I’ll suggest Hana to Akuma. At first it doesn’t look like much, but it turns out to be not only a lot of fun, but really sweet and heartfelt.

19. wicked says:

Oh man, A Lollipop or a Bullet is not what it seems on the surface

20. Machi says:

Shingeki is definitely awesome I admit the first few chapters didn’t pull me in until lets just say the first major incident and the aftermath. Definitely something that you need to stick with since the qualities become more apparent once you see the full range of the authors writing, can’t really tell you the qualities yet since it doesn’t exist as strongly or implicated at much with the first few chapters. Also you tend to adjust to the quality of the art since the rugged realistic style just fits the manga so well.

21. Jaia says:

Wow, I’ll have to check some of these out! They sound really interesting.
    +Anima was my first manga, so it’s really fun to see someone’s thoughts on what really got me started on anime/manga. It takes a bit to get all the characters together, but I think they get fleshed out well, and the world it’s set in is very well planned and detailed.
    As for any other manga, I’d recommend Aphorism. It’s a creative horror type story with an interesting fighting system: everything is based off of Kanji and their meanings.
    I look forward to reading the rest of your reviews and trying these manga out!

22. Ebod says:

Ludwig Revolution is one of my personal favourites. If you like Kaoru Yuki’s stuff, I highly recommend Count Cain/Godchild (same series just split up under 2 different names)!

Also, totally recommending Team Medical Dragon as scanlations for it just started up again.

23. Kaiser Eoghan says:

Have you seen welcome to the NHK psgels? You might like a series called negative happy chainsaw edge, which shares the same author.

24. Samavarti says:

If you are searching for short Shoujos give Claudine a try is a oneshoot by rose of versailles mangaka, also Ashita no Ousama and Blue (Nananan Kiriko), are quite recommendable.
    Also you should check some Asano Inio he has many great short mangas.

25. ohgod says:

I am a hero is really good, i recommend you keep reading it. It’s probably not what you’re expecting in terms of genre but it’ll become clear pretty soon.

26. wicked says:

It’s a bit hard to recommend short shoujos, because they are usually either oneshots or if they’re good enough to be scantlated, they are often long running.

I find it easier to recommend Josei. Haigakura, I love eastern fantasies, and this one is pretty good.

Koguresou Monogatari, 1 volume multiple stories about people of an apartment.

Kanojoiro no Kanojo 3 volumes, a girl spent her life being defined by men meets a girl that wants to be a fighter champ. It’s not yuri in case the title is misleading.

I really like reading TAAMO’s stuff as well

I’m really more into heartwarming shoujo and josei, so if it’s not you cup of tea, then my recommendations in those 2 field are pretty useless…

27. Psigo says:

Read JoJo bizarre adventure.

My favorite shonen/seinen/bizarre/fabulous manga ever.

Jojo is composed by “parts”.

Try reading part 1 and 2.

They are kinda 5 volumes each, is short.

28. Gintoki says:

Wow, I didn’t know you watched the Please Save My Earth anime :D. While I thought the anime was gorgeous (didn’t get to see all the episodes though), my main gripe with it was that it cut the manga in half. Problem there was that a lot of important development and revelations were revealed during the latter volumes of the manga. They SHOULD’VE made a remake, but that’s pretty unlikely.
    Not going to bother recommending anything else because by god, you’ve got enough of that stuff as is.

29. boo says:

You could pick up:
    “Don’t Cry, Girl” it’s a comedy by Yamashita Tomoko.
    “Koguresou Monogatari” is a series of interlinked oneshots. (i see wicked suggests it too, these kind of stories are really up my alley)
    “Koi Tsukiyo no Himegoto” I remember this one being pretty good althought it’s been a while since i read it.
    “Seishun Kouryakuhon” by Akizuki Sorata was rather cute for romance too.
    “Taiyou no Uta” is melodramatic and a bit sad, not as developed as i would like but still good.

Some of the best Shoujo/Josei are still ongoing.

“Sekine-kun no Koi” by Haruka Kawaichi (author of Natsuyuki Rendezvous) is really good. Up to this point it’s about a guy in his 30ies going through depression, stumbling on a potential love interest, suddenly acquiring a rival and realizing couple things he didn’t know.

You could probably read “Oooku” by Yoshinada Fumi (the author of Antique Bakery) up to the it’s second arc (it’s either up to the end of volume 3 or middle of volume 4, don’t remember right now). Both arcs can be treated as stand alone stories. Oooku deals with what would happen in Feudal Japan if the male population would shrink and the gender social roles would change places because of it. It’s clever and I especially like how Yoshinada manage to balance it and doesn’t turns it into feminist propaganda.

Also:

“Tsuki no Shizumu made” by Miyagi Toko just started, the story is about revenge and seems to be promising (the translation is a little rough around the edges).

“Six Half” by Rikako Iketani is about a girl who has lost her memory, there are some interesting twists in there.

“14 Sai no Koi” by Mizutani Fuka is really adorable too. You might want to check “Lonely Wolf Lonely Sheep” which is finished. The latter is Shoujo Ai.

30. Pax says:

Wow so many 1st chapters, I hope you don’t plan on dropping certain manga after just one chapter, imo there’s not much sense in trying a manga if you plan to put a definitive verdict on it right after the 1st chapter.

Since I am not that good with names, for a moment there I mixed Haruyuki Bus with Bus Hashiru, so I was a bit surprised that you had nothing good to say about it.

As for Shingeki no Kyojin, I was not as impressed by it as was the majority, but it has its qualities, it manages to build up that sense of terror perfectly, nice twists. As for the art, it definitely improves, however, if I remember correctly this is the author’s first work, that should be mentioned when criticizing the art. btw Bateszi has written 2 nice posts about this manga.

Also, I wanted to mentione this, Usamaru Furuya, the mangaka of The Music of Marie, is for me one of the most versatile mangaka out there, his works fall in categories from gag manga to horror, seinen and shounen, yaoi and so on.

• psgels psgels says:

I don’t plan to judge them, but I do want to sample a lot of different stories before continuing with the ones that interest me the most. I know that there are manga that take a while to get good and all, but there are just way too many manga out there for me to take that into account at this point.

31. SixFlags says:

Music of Marie is a very nice manga and sadly unknown by most, thus its good to see it being featured in your blog.

Since you want to start with shorter mangas, have you checked out Jiro Taniguchi’s work?

32. darkhappy1 says:

Oh hey, you checked out Iguana Girl and liked it. You should try out Moto Hagio’s other short stories, especially “Hanshin: Half-God”. I appreciate the effort you’re putting into checking out all of these manga!

33. Bosom says:

You should try and read some Jiro Taniguchi works, Haruka na Machi e is a really good slice of life manga, i would recommend other of his works too, but many of them an unfortunately not scanlated in english.

34. Mann says:

Psgels, I highly recommend Tower of God. Its a Korean Manhwa that’s gained quite a following here in the English web. The story itself is hard to describe as it draws heavily from its fictional universe. I would say though that it contains a lot of mind games that are no less creative than those found in, say, HunterXHunter.

At the very least, I’m certain you’ll find something to like in the character designs and general artwork. SIU, the suthor, creates a better realized alternate universe than any other author I’ve read.

35. Denizen says:

If you haven’t already read some Happy Go Lucky Days, I recommend it. Short stories by the author of Hourou Musuko.

36. Mark says:

Please please please please please check out 20th Century Boys.

I’m sure you’ve had this request a huge number of times but it is amazing.

It is my favourite manga by Naoki Urasawa (author of Monster) and one of the best manga (or story in general) I have ever read. It also takes no time to get good and keeps you engaged from start to finish.

37. Cholisose says:

You didn’t like Haruyuki Bus?? (CRIES BUCKETS OF TEARS) Oh well. I thought it was wonderfully sweet. Might just work better for different audiences. XP

Customize
afgm
Midterms have been slowing me down considerably haha
afgm
@K-off: yeah I did! thanks for that. I've been looking through the code stuff, just getting to know it.
reaLjustified
I think the rabbit character does the job
reaLjustified
I think the banner might look even better without the girl. Or make her tiny and off in the distance. I don't know, I'm not an artist by any stretch so that's just me.
Finally bought my first new car, a 2015 Altima, my used Sentra served me well for 3 years but damn was it a pain in the ass, and of course its trade in value was fuck-all. But luckily my credit is good enough for me to land a relatively low annual interest rate. Which is excellent because I need to shave off my remaining student loans to maximize my dti since I want to purchase a home
You might say the new banner will be...Friendtastic!
I'm fairly content with either the top one or the bottom one either way. Though the current banner does have the character standing on the left.
@Friend Looks great, and I prefer the bottom one. Maybe it's just me but the tree hugging the leftmost edge makes it look a little inclusive.
@Afgm Forgot to tell you but I did change your status a few days ago, hope you noticed it.
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]