Posted by psgels on 1 August 2012 with categories: Manga Experiment

This week I’m going to leave the series I usually check out for what they are for now, focusing on some first impressions from the stuff that everyone has been recommending for the past month.

The Lives of Eccentrics – ch.01-02: Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is getting a new anime. Now, I am not going to check out that behemoth of a manga for this, but its author did write a bunch of short stories, compiled together in The Lives of Eccentrics. The first two chapters are this extreme look on the life of baseball player Ty Cobb, who is seen as one of the most legendary players of all time. Think of a recollection of the most hot blooded chapters of his life (and this guy was violent). It’s a good character-study, and it definitely has the kind of passion in it that makes me curious what Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure will be about. Again though: baseball scenes seem to miss something if they don’t move.

Skyhigh – ch.01: This one is by the same author of Hito Hitori Futari, and you can definitely see the similarities in both the art style and themes. This series too focuses on a depiction of the afterlife, only this time it’s straight up horror, and this first chapter immediately delved into the disturbing images and scenes. Overall, I think I prefer Hito Hitori over this: it had more charm and personality, while this was trying to go for the shock factor a bit too much too fast.

Coelacanth – ch.01: This one’s a mystery story. For the largest part of this chapter, I didn’t really know where it wanted to go: it had this story here about this dead teacher, but the main characters didn’t really seem to be related to it. After that though, it went into a completely different direction that made much more sense, but it at the same time used a lot of commonly used tropes, while the first half had that much less. Most of this first chapter was building up. It did that nicely for the female lead and did well in showing her state of mind. Plus, there is that sheep.

Olimpos – ch.01: As the title might suggest, this is about the Greek gods. In particular, it’s a shoujo-esque story that bishifies a few gods, like Apollo and puts a random Christian Japanese guy in the middle of it. His role in it is rather questionable, but this opening chapter did have a bit of a weird premise, in which this guy actually had to try and convince a God to cooperate. The second half of the chapter did quite well and put some emotions into it, although it still was a bit too angsty for my tastes. There may be a good explanation for this, though.

Sheet no Sukima (Oneshot): This week, I’m checking out lots of different chapters on a whim, based only on your recommendations over the past weeks. This one was among them. It’s about the sexual relationship between a worker and her boss. Imagine the worker as the female version of those horny male leads of fanservice shows, only she actually dives straight into sex. This… definitely was something different. But, to be honest, this was quite hilarious. The mind of the author was very clearly in the gutter, but the jokes were very well delivered and this actually played with its mood quite effectively, being hilarious one page, then completely neutral the next, to actually quite dark near the end.

Kare no Satsujin Keikaku (Oneshot): Okay, so I failed to get through Bokura no, but Mohiro Kitoh also wrote a bunch of short stories. This is one about a Light-esque high school boy who wants to kill someone. This isn’t like Death Note where it turns into a cat and mouse game, but he definitely is brilliant, and this short story details the steps he takes to achieve his goals in nice detail. Nice ending as well.

+Anima – Ch.01: This one is a bit longer than the others I’ve checked out this week (currently there are already 10 volumes out), and it’s a shounen-esque adventure story with main characters who can transform into half-animals. It’s got themes of oppression and cross-dressing in it. This one is pretty whimsical, with the usual spunky lead character and more serious side-character, but it has potential. They’ve got a nice chemistry together, but I do wonder how long it will take before this series will get anywhere.

The Music of Marie – Ch.01: My purpose of this week is to check out as many different first chapters as possible, to continue with the ones I like best next weeks. So far, The Music of Marie is the one I like best of this bunch, due to the detail it provides on its setting, in just its first chapter. It’s both creative and well fleshed out. The main character has an interesting ability and the characters so far are colorful, yet believable.

Shingeki no Kyojin – Ch.01: The one who recommended this put a note next to it, saying “giant killing”. Silly me thought that that meant that this was a sports series in the same vein as Giant Killing, instead of… killing actual giants. The art in this one is really weird: one panel it’s really good, and the other it’s really bad. What bothered me the most was the speed-lines it abused during random panels. The setting for this one has potential, although the main character is waaaay too naive for his own good.

I am a Hero – Ch.01: Here is one that kept returning on the lists people recommended to me, and I can see why: this one is really well drawn. It’s not the individual drawings that impressed me, but rather how every panel shows the main character from a different angle and with a different facial expression, and all of them are well-drawn. I have no idea what this is about because it’s just 40 pages of a guy sitting in his room, but I like that idea a lot.

A Lollipop or a Bullet – Ch.01: The title of this one contains two things that are completely different from each other, and that also characterizes the contents of this first chapter: it starts off in a perfectly normal setting, about an ordinary schoolgirl who wants to join the military. And then, wham: mermaids! It’s a bit of a weird mix, and eventually this showed its colors as a coming of age story, but the author did create a very good introduction chapter here that served its purpose in making me curious by using vague but meaningful foreshadowing.

Ludwig Revolution – Ch.01: With all these seinen manga, I wanted some change of pace and check out more shoujo-series, whose style I really enjoyed so far. Finding some good recommendations was difficult though, especially since I didn’t want to go with manga versions of anime I had already seen (Please Save My Earth and Amatsuki indeed are brilliant, but with this experiment I really want to check out new stuff). My eye then fell on 7 Seeds, but that one is way too damn long right now (22 volumes!). My eye then fell on Ludwig Revolution, a manga that aims to perverse famous fairy tales. This first chapter was about Snow White, and it changes around roles, while also being faithful to the original story by the Grimm Brothers on other points. Especially that Prince was hilarious, and I like a lot how detailed the art is; together with the dialogue it told a very good standalone story and the flow between panels may not have been as good as with Shimizu Reiko’s stories, it still felt engaging. It’s all quite dark for a shoujo-series, but that definitely gives it extra charm.

Iguana no Musume (Oneshot): This is a very weird one-shot, about a girl who is born as an Iguana. We actually get to see the first thirty years of her life and how she grows up. What really struck me was her relationship with her mother that deals with things as favoritism and parental abuse. It was quite emotional and well done, and also had a pretty great ending.

Haruyuki Bus – Ch.01: This manga is supposed to be a collection of the essence of shoujo manga, but I didn’t really like it. This first chapter suffered from a lack of dialogue: people hardly said anything meaningful besides three-word sentences, and it all felt disjointed because of this. On top of that, the story is just too average: there was nothing special about it, it’s just another shoujo romance, and not a good one at that.

1. boo says:

I should have had mentioned that the Skyhigh series (as there are also Skyhigh: Karma , Skyhigh: Hévәn, Skyhigh: Shinshou, Skyhigh 4) is an adult version of Jigoku Shoujo.

It’s horror (while Hito Hitori is more on paranormal side so far) however I don’t think it relays on shock value, even though you could say that Tsutomu Takahashi tends to write grim stories (except perhaps for Tetsuwan Girl?). I’m curious what was so shocking in this particular story for you? If anything I’ve found the first story a bit predictable, but shocking? Not much. Reminded me of couple Japanese horror films.

For me in the first volume chapters 3-5 were the most interesting. You can pretty much read them as oneshots, though, if i remember correctly, the first volume was a build up as later on you get to learn more about the Gate Keeper.

All that said, yes his latest, Hito Hitori Futari, seems to take a much lighter turn, plus after all these years he is more mature as an author.

2. elianthos says:

Oooh, going by the summary the Sheet No Sukima oneshot you read is Sheherazade (is the boss’ name Shinogami *insert shinigami jokes here*? )XD. In a way it’s the embryonic version of her latter Butterfly, Flowers series. It’s also probably one of her best oneshots .
    Be warned: when she Yoshihara gets serious dark , her stories gets *very* dark (for instance: Izayoi. You’ll see.). I tend to prefer her comedic ones and the dramedy ones like Sheherazade, but maybe you’ll enjoy the dark ones more.
    And yes, she’s pretty in the gutter usually. Sheherazade is not even her most gutter-ific output (that would be Darling Wa and Itadakimasu probably).
    In a world where both IRL and on paper Japanes women are beating around the sexual bush – or are expected to do so … even in smut, unless they are put in pseudo-rape situations and/or are doormats to the alpha male du jour – I find Yoshihara’s approach pretty refreshing XD.

Coelacanth is probably my fav out of Kayoko-sensei’s stories together with the Labyrinth one. I like the combination of her fluid lines and clear art with the seemingly contrasting tone of her stories, even if sometimes she leaves loose ends.

I’ll have to check Olympos… I’ve had it in my rediung list for the longest time but never started to reading it for one reason or another XD.

• boo says:

Yes, that’s exactly what i love about Yoshihara works! There are not that many authors who portrait women to have carnal desires without resorting to the trope of manipulative slut or dominatrix. Nodame in Nodame Cantabile also has this traits (but she is an eccentric) and Satoko in Ikenai Candy Love (although her character is a mixed bag of lustful damsel in distress until the very end). Sayako in Sakuranbo Syndrome often morphs into a male fantasy, but also has her moments….(Kitazaki Taku tends to make his females aware of their sexual desires, but he can’t help to write his stories from the male perspective)

Sheet no Sukima is pretty well rounded anthology, you get to see her more earlier works in it too (circa 2002). I think “Kizuato” is the more darkish one.

• elianthos says:

@Boo: *high-fives* yep.
        I couldn’t remember the title, but yes, Kizuato is pretty dark as well (the ‘lady’ and scarred ‘servant’ one if I remember correctly. Unless my memory is tricking me again and you’re referring to the cousins one instead).

Ah well, Nodame was possessive but not exactly prone to express/formulate her desire in canon ways beyond wishing for kisses and lovey-dovey fantasies. Otherwise whenever she acted on her love feelings – and getting physical/intimate – it was in… odd ways X,D. Pretty much like her attitude to music and food really.

3. Red says:

lol I remember Coelacanth and the sheep. It was a nice read! You should check out her other works. :3

If you’re looking for other manga to read, I think you might enjoy Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan (its just one volume long) and maybe Shingeki no Kyojin. Shingeki is longer + ongoing, but I really think you’ll (and anybody else) will love it. Its different from other shounens.
    Both mangas have the tragedy genre though so its understandable if you choose not to read them. I rarely do.

4. Kaiser Eoghan says:

If you are looking for oneshots I would srongly recommend anything by Moto hagio.

5. KaZuHiRo says:

Psgels, please check out Afterschool (Houkago) Charisma!

6. someloser says:

oneshots eh? now that I think about it, how about some Ray Bradbury? Hox had recently translated “U wa Uchuusen no U” which is the commercialization of 8 short stories from the famed american author.

also, some Kitoh (bokurano, narutaru) would be quite interesting, which is why I’m recommending the oneshot, Kare no Satsujin Keikaku, (his murder plan) which is only about 30 some pages.

since you haven’t tried out any of Asano Ino’s works, I’m also going to recommend Subarashii Sekai (what a wonderful world). Though oyasumi punpun remains ino’s most famed work, Subarashii Sekai consists of short stories that represents ino’s style, so you don’t have to go through 10 volumes.

Douman saiman/ Dowman sayman, usually when I first think of this dude’s name, I end up remembering the dude’s weird 4-page mindscrew h-manga. Luckily he has also written a collection of odd romance short stories called “Nickelodeon” consisting off all the mindscrew and none of the H, in about 9 pages each.

7. Kirsten says:

Oh wow, I’ve read everything in this post ^_^
    Keep on with the Lives of Eccentrics. The Ty Cob chapters weren’t drawn by the Jojo’s guy, and are (visually) much weaker than the ones that were imo.

8. Firechick says:

What a scary coincidence, Psgels! I JUST started reading Bokurano yesterday (got up to Mako’s arc)!

9. Guigas says:

Th Music of Marie is FANTASTIC. Completely unkwnown by the general public, this is one of the few great short mangas out there. Keep it up, it’ll end up by being the best manga you’re reading for now.

10. hgfdsahjkl says:

what about trying HxH Ant arc ?

11. Samavarti says:

Glad to see you liked Music of Marie first chapter, is a great manga.

12. Cytl says:

Seems like you haven’t read the synopsis of I’m hero, right Psgels? DON’T DO IT. You’ll enjoy things more this way.

13. Firechick says:

YES! Psgels, keep reading +Anima! I own all ten volumes, and I will tell you it is a fantasy done absolutely right! Please continue with it until the end! It’s soooooo worth it!

14. Anca says:

You checked out Ludwig Revolution! Yay! Kaori Yuki is really my favorite mangaka. Ludwig Revolution may not be her best work, but its definitely her funniest; all her works are very dark and bloody for shoujo.

You should laos check out CLAMP’s new Gate 7 for some incredibly beautiful art

15. Kirsten says:

For shoujo oneshots, I enthusiastically second all the Moto Hagio praise. She was one of the female shoujo mangaka from the 70s that completely revolutionized the genre, and everything she’s written still holds up really well. Iguana Girl, Hanshin: Half God, and They Were Eleven are good starting points.

16. K4nr4 says:

that picture of the girl with the scarf which manga is that?

17. Ebisu says:

Another seinen you could try is Haruka 17.
    Idol business.

• Ebisu says:

Oh, and I could also add two slice of life though they are not also one-shots
      3-gatsu no lion (shogi) and Saturn Apartments (sci-fi)

18. Cholisose says:

I like these posts–it gives me some ideas for things to check out in the future as well.

For a bunch of shoujo one-shots, I’ll recommend Haruyuki Bus. It’s basically the essence of what it means to be a shoujo manga, compressed into a series of single-chapter stories.

For a really great shoujo manga that’s not too long and not adapted into an anime, I’ll suggest Hana to Akuma. At first it doesn’t look like much, but it turns out to be not only a lot of fun, but really sweet and heartfelt.

19. wicked says:

Oh man, A Lollipop or a Bullet is not what it seems on the surface

20. Machi says:

Shingeki is definitely awesome I admit the first few chapters didn’t pull me in until lets just say the first major incident and the aftermath. Definitely something that you need to stick with since the qualities become more apparent once you see the full range of the authors writing, can’t really tell you the qualities yet since it doesn’t exist as strongly or implicated at much with the first few chapters. Also you tend to adjust to the quality of the art since the rugged realistic style just fits the manga so well.

21. Jaia says:

Wow, I’ll have to check some of these out! They sound really interesting.
    +Anima was my first manga, so it’s really fun to see someone’s thoughts on what really got me started on anime/manga. It takes a bit to get all the characters together, but I think they get fleshed out well, and the world it’s set in is very well planned and detailed.
    As for any other manga, I’d recommend Aphorism. It’s a creative horror type story with an interesting fighting system: everything is based off of Kanji and their meanings.
    I look forward to reading the rest of your reviews and trying these manga out!

22. Ebod says:

Ludwig Revolution is one of my personal favourites. If you like Kaoru Yuki’s stuff, I highly recommend Count Cain/Godchild (same series just split up under 2 different names)!

Also, totally recommending Team Medical Dragon as scanlations for it just started up again.

23. Kaiser Eoghan says:

Have you seen welcome to the NHK psgels? You might like a series called negative happy chainsaw edge, which shares the same author.

24. Samavarti says:

If you are searching for short Shoujos give Claudine a try is a oneshoot by rose of versailles mangaka, also Ashita no Ousama and Blue (Nananan Kiriko), are quite recommendable.
    Also you should check some Asano Inio he has many great short mangas.

25. ohgod says:

I am a hero is really good, i recommend you keep reading it. It’s probably not what you’re expecting in terms of genre but it’ll become clear pretty soon.

26. wicked says:

It’s a bit hard to recommend short shoujos, because they are usually either oneshots or if they’re good enough to be scantlated, they are often long running.

I find it easier to recommend Josei. Haigakura, I love eastern fantasies, and this one is pretty good.

Koguresou Monogatari, 1 volume multiple stories about people of an apartment.

Kanojoiro no Kanojo 3 volumes, a girl spent her life being defined by men meets a girl that wants to be a fighter champ. It’s not yuri in case the title is misleading.

I really like reading TAAMO’s stuff as well

I’m really more into heartwarming shoujo and josei, so if it’s not you cup of tea, then my recommendations in those 2 field are pretty useless…

27. Psigo says:

Read JoJo bizarre adventure.

My favorite shonen/seinen/bizarre/fabulous manga ever.

Jojo is composed by “parts”.

Try reading part 1 and 2.

They are kinda 5 volumes each, is short.

28. Gintoki says:

Wow, I didn’t know you watched the Please Save My Earth anime :D. While I thought the anime was gorgeous (didn’t get to see all the episodes though), my main gripe with it was that it cut the manga in half. Problem there was that a lot of important development and revelations were revealed during the latter volumes of the manga. They SHOULD’VE made a remake, but that’s pretty unlikely.
    Not going to bother recommending anything else because by god, you’ve got enough of that stuff as is.

29. boo says:

You could pick up:
    “Don’t Cry, Girl” it’s a comedy by Yamashita Tomoko.
    “Koguresou Monogatari” is a series of interlinked oneshots. (i see wicked suggests it too, these kind of stories are really up my alley)
    “Koi Tsukiyo no Himegoto” I remember this one being pretty good althought it’s been a while since i read it.
    “Seishun Kouryakuhon” by Akizuki Sorata was rather cute for romance too.
    “Taiyou no Uta” is melodramatic and a bit sad, not as developed as i would like but still good.

Some of the best Shoujo/Josei are still ongoing.

“Sekine-kun no Koi” by Haruka Kawaichi (author of Natsuyuki Rendezvous) is really good. Up to this point it’s about a guy in his 30ies going through depression, stumbling on a potential love interest, suddenly acquiring a rival and realizing couple things he didn’t know.

You could probably read “Oooku” by Yoshinada Fumi (the author of Antique Bakery) up to the it’s second arc (it’s either up to the end of volume 3 or middle of volume 4, don’t remember right now). Both arcs can be treated as stand alone stories. Oooku deals with what would happen in Feudal Japan if the male population would shrink and the gender social roles would change places because of it. It’s clever and I especially like how Yoshinada manage to balance it and doesn’t turns it into feminist propaganda.

Also:

“Tsuki no Shizumu made” by Miyagi Toko just started, the story is about revenge and seems to be promising (the translation is a little rough around the edges).

“Six Half” by Rikako Iketani is about a girl who has lost her memory, there are some interesting twists in there.

“14 Sai no Koi” by Mizutani Fuka is really adorable too. You might want to check “Lonely Wolf Lonely Sheep” which is finished. The latter is Shoujo Ai.

30. Pax says:

Wow so many 1st chapters, I hope you don’t plan on dropping certain manga after just one chapter, imo there’s not much sense in trying a manga if you plan to put a definitive verdict on it right after the 1st chapter.

Since I am not that good with names, for a moment there I mixed Haruyuki Bus with Bus Hashiru, so I was a bit surprised that you had nothing good to say about it.

As for Shingeki no Kyojin, I was not as impressed by it as was the majority, but it has its qualities, it manages to build up that sense of terror perfectly, nice twists. As for the art, it definitely improves, however, if I remember correctly this is the author’s first work, that should be mentioned when criticizing the art. btw Bateszi has written 2 nice posts about this manga.

Also, I wanted to mentione this, Usamaru Furuya, the mangaka of The Music of Marie, is for me one of the most versatile mangaka out there, his works fall in categories from gag manga to horror, seinen and shounen, yaoi and so on.

• psgels psgels says:

I don’t plan to judge them, but I do want to sample a lot of different stories before continuing with the ones that interest me the most. I know that there are manga that take a while to get good and all, but there are just way too many manga out there for me to take that into account at this point.

31. SixFlags says:

Music of Marie is a very nice manga and sadly unknown by most, thus its good to see it being featured in your blog.

Since you want to start with shorter mangas, have you checked out Jiro Taniguchi’s work?

32. darkhappy1 says:

Oh hey, you checked out Iguana Girl and liked it. You should try out Moto Hagio’s other short stories, especially “Hanshin: Half-God”. I appreciate the effort you’re putting into checking out all of these manga!

33. Bosom says:

You should try and read some Jiro Taniguchi works, Haruka na Machi e is a really good slice of life manga, i would recommend other of his works too, but many of them an unfortunately not scanlated in english.

34. Mann says:

Psgels, I highly recommend Tower of God. Its a Korean Manhwa that’s gained quite a following here in the English web. The story itself is hard to describe as it draws heavily from its fictional universe. I would say though that it contains a lot of mind games that are no less creative than those found in, say, HunterXHunter.

At the very least, I’m certain you’ll find something to like in the character designs and general artwork. SIU, the suthor, creates a better realized alternate universe than any other author I’ve read.

35. Denizen says:

If you haven’t already read some Happy Go Lucky Days, I recommend it. Short stories by the author of Hourou Musuko.

36. Mark says:

Please please please please please check out 20th Century Boys.

I’m sure you’ve had this request a huge number of times but it is amazing.

It is my favourite manga by Naoki Urasawa (author of Monster) and one of the best manga (or story in general) I have ever read. It also takes no time to get good and keeps you engaged from start to finish.

37. Cholisose says:

You didn’t like Haruyuki Bus?? (CRIES BUCKETS OF TEARS) Oh well. I thought it was wonderfully sweet. Might just work better for different audiences. XP

Customize
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373