Posted by psgels on 6 August 2012 with categories: Summer 2012 Kaleidoscope

Okay, today I finally had a bit of time to fiddle around a bit with episode ratings. I’ve used the current star system for a few years now, and it’s time for something new. I’ve wanted to go back to numerical ratings, although using ratings out of ten proved to be too similar to the ratings I use for full series, and I don’t want to confuse those. So instead I’m going for the following:

1/8: These are the worst types of episodes: uninspired, full of clichés, incredibly boring to watch, badly animated, etc.
2/8: These are the boring or really annoying types of episodes that leave me wanting things to end, or the kinds of episodes of an established series that completely go against what the series is about.
3/8: This is a rating for mediocrity: I guess the episode was there… but nothing really caught my attention, or what did catch my attention was drowned out by too many annoyances. Most episodes would fall between 3/8 and 4/8
4/8: This would be the rating for a standard episode: nice things happened, it caught my attention, and I enjoyed it, but it’s not really special.
5/8: I like these episodes a lot, either through outstanding visuals, interesting subject material, well written scenarios or sympathetic characters. Most episodes from the series I watch would fall between 4/8 and 5/8.
6/8: These are the episodes that really do something to stand out. Incredibly fun, engaging and interesting to watch.
7/8: The types of mind-blowing episodes that only come here once a month if you’re lucky. I guess that this would be the equivalent of the ****-rating that I used to use.
8/8: This is reserved for the best episodes of the best: the types of episodes that only come once a year if you’re lucky, and I really want to be able to highlight those kinds of episodes.

This seems to be nice enough. I’m probably also going to use ratings of half numbers (5.5, 3.5, etc). Why a rating out of 8? Why not? That’s what experiments are for. I think I’m also going to ditch the “good”- and “excellent”-labels. They were getting a bit old and they started to lose their meaning. I’m not sure whether this will be the definitive explanations, because I really noticed that thinking of a rating system and actually using this in practice is something completely different. I remember how with the ratings I use for full series, my original intention was to have the median around 60/100, but that also changed over time.

#1: Hunter X Hunter – 41: Oh my god, finally!! The Spider Troupe has made its appearance! And they actually nailed them! These are by far the best villains I have seen in any shounen series, period. Because of this I had been really afraid what this series would do with them. But the way in which they were portrayed i this episode: they can really make it work! Finally I’m getting excited about this series again! – 5.5/8 (Excellent)

#2: Kokoro Connect – 04: The script of this series is excellent, but that is probably because of the source material. But what really surprised me about this series is how good the voice acting is for a Silver Link-series. Where usually the characters in their series sound flat and one-dimensional, they here have a wide range of voices that shape their personalities, and I really wonder where that sudden change came from. Could that really be the influence of Shinya Kawamo or did something different go on? – 5.5/8 (Excellent)

#3: Polar Bear Cafe – 18: Oh my god, those ghost stories were perfect for the deadpan humour of this show. In particular Polar Bear’s story was absolutely priceless. On top of that, this episode tried to subtly slip past a lot of details that really make you wonder about the characters once you start thinking about them. Why on earth is a Lama working overtime in a zoo? What is Penguin going to do at that Buddhist memorial service? Oh, and the new ED is awesome. – 5.5/8 (Excellent)

#4: Tari Tari – 05: This episode showed me something: that blond girl isn’t really the best main character for this series. This episode finally took her to the background in favor of the other characters, and suddenly this show got a lot better. There still are the cliches like the dead mother, but they were all really well done and heart-warming. – 5/8 (Great)

#5: Saint Seiya Omega – 17: Ow, this episode had some outsourcing issues. Other than that, it was incredibly cheesy during the big fight, but it had its charms. That Kiki guy probably is another member of the old Saint Seiya cast, and his cameo was handled pretty well here. – 4/8 (Good)

#6: Phi Brain – 41: Finally this series returns again to the actual Orpheus Order. It was a bit of a cheesy episode, but with the nature of those rings that’s no surprise, really. And really: this was actually pretty good and it finally started to resolve things. On a side-note: when is Nonoha going to take her hair down…? – 4/8 (Good)

#7: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon – 16: Obligatory boring fanservice episode. Also, I do hope that they’re not going to drag out that festival arc. – 3/8 (Mediocre)

#8: Total Eclipse – 05: The sheer nationalism indeed is starting to get annoying now. On top of that, does this show really need a cowgirl who is just there for the fanservice? In fact, why are we even following a bunch of test pilots anyway when the rest of the world is about to be destroyed? – 3/8 (Mediocre)

#9: Tanken Drilland – 04: I think that this is the point where I’m going to drop this series. The stupidity of the characters is just too annoying, and watching this episode only served to remind me that Saint Seiya is currently doing what this series is doing, while also taking itself seriously. And after all of the criticism I have for that series, that has to say something. – 3/8 (Mediocre)

1. UltimateReaper says:

Kokoro Connect turned out to be one of my favorite anime of this season. I friggen love it, I suppose its simplistic for some, but I suppose this is one of the shows I personally resonate with. We all have that, so I’m sure everyone knows the feeling.

As for hunter I’m about to watch that, it’s been good lately, I’m surprised I watched this many episodes

2. nrad says:

Watching KC eps 4, feels like an arrow piercing thru my heart. Is it because I fell in love with this series? Or is it because of just their bittersweet moments. somehow attracted to Inaba’s voice acting which felt very natural and emotional.

next episode preview gives me a little shock. Cant wait to see if it really happens or maybe some kind of twists occurs.

3. Cholisose says:

Ep 4 of Kokoro Connect really blew me away. Had to watch it twice in one night. Can’t wait to see where the series goes from here.

4. Cytl says:

I think the better voice acting also comes from the more interesting and better done dialogues of the original script. Also, Miyuki Sawashiro is pretty much synonym of quality.

5. WT says:

Kokoro Connect: I’m really enjoying this series. This episode barely has any body-switching, but it’s equally fun to watch. I’d like to know the initial cause/trigger of Inaba’s problem. What MADE her to not trust anyone? The male lead is bland by comparison to other characters. Also, I really like the preview sequence with the music leading to the ED.

• Cytl says:

Inaba said that there wasn’t any “reason” or “trauma” for her distrust, that’s why she was so disgusted with herself.

• Scruffy says:

I really liked Inaba’s background. It looks at the whole ‘nature’ versus ‘nurture’ debate, ie .. are we born with the personality we have or does our environment form it? It’s a still ongoing debate with no clear answer. So often personality defects are portreyed as due to ‘nurture’ .. ie the trauma or caring we have been exposed to, so it is nice to see this idea of ‘inherant personality’ considered.

6. WT says:

@psgels: I would like to know how much of an awesomeness an episode needs to be to get a 8/8. Can you give us an example?

7. boo says:

Now that they added the french waitress to the cast they really need to ditch the original plot of Muv-Luv and make it a parody ala Hetalia. At least this episode both Yuuya and Yui just went straight at each others throats. I wonder if in the end this will be the case of Yuuya discovering the Japanese awesomeness that is obviously locked inside him and becoming a great pilot and Yui acknowledging that in the end Yuuya is not that bad _for an American_ *rolls eyes*. It certainly went toward that near the end of this episode.

On the bright side, they did played it safe as far the animation went with few slips here and there, but at least it wasn’t the complete mess the previous episode was.

I think for now I’m just going to follow the Kaleidoscope on this one, unless there will be some major changes in the plot and direction.

8. Terry says:

@psgels

Total Eclipse’s narrative is simply a cautionary reminder: sometimes the story the author thinks he is telling is more of a mirror image of his own soul, rather than a window into his subjects (in this case, Americans, Russians, French, etc).

The author of Total Eclipse believes he is writing a “teaching moment” about racism, particularly about the American military strain.

In fact, he’s simply describing a mirror image of his own (Japanese) racism.

I’ve served in Yokosuka aboard the USS Fitzgerald for several years, and being called a racist by the Japanese is akin to being called a racist by a Nazi. I’m not making an emotional insult, it’s a factual statement.

Living and bunking on the USS Fitzgerald (Or any Command in my career) and relocating from the bridge to the Quarterdeck to Aft Steering, you’ll see any number of Americans of different races and mixed race. Neither I nor anybody else gave it much thought because race is about as important as the color of your T-shirt on Liberty weekend in the US Military.

I have shipmates and civilian co-workers who have relatives with different ethnic backgrounds and mixed heritage so convoluted they don’t even bother with it and often don’t care. One of my friend’s uncle and aunt has a pair of adopted kids of Korean extract. They both go to our self-defense lessons, come to Command events and attend school just as any American children with loving parents in the Military would.

It’s perfectly normal for us.

Of course, the above situations are completely alien to the Japanese…and there’s the rub:

The author thinks he is describing a mixed raced person’s alienation and racial discrimination in a typical US Military and American family setting. But in reality, he’s describing what would happen if a mixed race person was placed in a typical JSDF or Japanese family setting.

In that light, it’s forgiveable.

Have you worked with or even SEEN the JSDF? Do you know what would happen if a mixed race person was exposed to a Military service that to this day prides itself on its racial purity? They still talk about the Yamato Master race, which was the equivalent of Nazi Germany’s Aryan Master race in WWII. The Japanese sailors, while our conversations are cordial, are not exactly shy about their racism. For that matter, take a walk down a Japanese street and let me know if you ever run across a white or dark-skinned Japanese citizen. You’ll be walking for a long, long time.

There are horror stories of Japanese ostracization of mixed-race children, some involving sympathetic parents who literally beg the DODEA (it’s our Japan-based school system for military brats) and American institutes in Japan to accept their children (which is easier if you’re in our employment and there’s enough room). If you know anything about the extreme Japanese form of “begging”, then you know that this really puts our superintendants into awkward moments.

But who can blame them? Would YOU send your mixed-race child to a “pure” Japanese school with all the ideological baggage that racial “puriy” and “uniqueness” entails?

In the end, the narrative of Total Eclipse is about Japanese projection more than anything else.

Once you get past that point, you might be able to enjoy the series – maybe even laugh at it a little.

After all, once you’ve lived in Japan for a while, US servicemen generally come to an “understanding” about Japanese racial attitudes, and they’re kinda fun to be around (trust me, they’re not as “reserved” or as stoic as their popular culture makes them out to be).

It could be worse. You could be working in Bahrain or Saudi Arabia or Karachi and dealing with Muslim religious attitudes- and they’re not nearly as much fun, trust me on this.

9. wicked says:

I gotta say, you came a long way in 4 episodes from calling Kokoro connect’s voice acting awful to actually praising the voice acting now. Especially for a cast that’s consider pretty experienced with the exception of Yui’s voice actor

10. KaZuHiRo says:

Did anybody see Pusuke as one of Neon’s cellphone strap?

11. Andmeuths says:

Muv Luv Eclipse is riddled with Japanese Xenophobia. I think the general consensus is that the Race, Culture and Identity Angle is really key to understanding and appreciating what’s going on in Eclipse. Everything else is window dressing on these themes.

As for Kokoro Connect, I think it’s a textbook example of how the Source Material makes the anime. If the Source Material is awful, the anime is going to be worst, unless somehow, some genius director managed to turn things round.

12. HunterWulf says:

Kokoro Connect is definitely the BEST anime this season, enjoying it a lot (and just saying episode 5 is a blast), isn’t it worth it’s own entry in the BLog here Psgels.

As for Tari Tari, ep5 for me was the worst episode of the show, specially after the previous 4 episodes which were enjoyable and fun .. and it isn’t about Sawa’s dead mother .. it’s Sawa herself acting in the most unreasonable, bratty and illogical way ever .. not only the young Sawa (who treated her nice mother horribly for no clear reason whatsoever), but also the older -present day- Sawa started acting weird .. not only did she suddenly throw away everything related to her mother’s memory (even if the Piano is excusable .. you know .. making room in her house, why did she throw away the plushie too !!!).

I really felt like slapping Sawa on her face for the amount of stupidity she showed in this episode of Tari Tari (specially young Sawa), and saying “i’m sorry” in the end didn’t really help at all .. not after that barrage of stupid moments .. no wonder even her own cat escaped from her XD

Just hope the next episode redeems the show.

13. RABUJOI says:

– Kokoro Connect had a slow start, but it’s really making up for lost ground with some superb characterization, drama more moving than we expected, and – as you said – great voice acting.

One of the reasons it took us a little while to engage with the characters is that we had to learn their names (always helpful) and then be able to recognize who is in who’s body by the changes in their voices.

Now that we have, Kokoro is now tied in our Summer rankings with Tari Tari, and it has all the momentum. In fact, it’s the only series on an upward climb in ratings (other than Natsuyuki Rendezvous, which we’ve given top marks in its five episodes so far).

– We’re also glad Tari Tari is giving Konatsu a break – her vague and flaky aspirations aren’t as compelling as Wakana’s pain, and the flashbacks do a good job showing us the spoiled brat she was and how much she regrets taking her mother’s love for granted. We were also amused how quickly Taichi’s badminton match ended in defeat – it reminded us of those episodes of Chihayafuru in which the match wasn’t the focus.

– Total Eclipse would be good if it concentrated on the war with the Beta as it unfolds around Yui, Yuuka & Co. Instead, the war has been sidelined in favor of training and interpersonal relationships with some cosplay mixed in. It’s high time this series stopped goofing off and putting the characters in a real battle. It needs to return to the urgency and peril of the first episodes.

14. DuelEX says:

Kiki’s appearance in Omega caused a bigger splash than Andromeda Shun’s in ep12. In the original anime Kiki was only a little kid (basically the same as Raki now) so seeing him grown up was one of the things old fans wanted the most out of Omega (there is one more thing, but I’ll keep it to myself because it’s a potential spoiler).

In the animation department… I heard that this was done by the people responsible for ep6… Enough said.

15. wicked says:

This season of Horizon is a major Tenzo romance arc. I’d not say that the episode is crucial, but the development would probably feel a bit sudden with what Tenzo is about to go through and say

16. Chiri says:

You are anoying to PSGELS, very anoying with you short thoughts are bad argument

Well, Mikio's gear was upgrading to V5 we saw, so it may not be as easy as we think. That said, I just want Gear to be relevant. It really feels like just a gimmick to me so far and Mikio could maybe change that, since his is so important
Oh and I got two card drops, both of which were Shanas.
@Amagi, I still need to grind up the damage points. I am close and planning to get it before Rider day ends. But Banana Oni is the hardest challege this game has ever given. And fighting her is always a gamble.
Yeah it was a good move. Really want to see how Mikio will fight without the advantage he had till now.
This weeks episode of megalobox gave an added importance to him being gearless .
Now that I got the 300mio damage in FGO I finally get card drops that I don't need anymore
@Masky, I believe I told you to watch Fate/Zero and apologize.
@AidanAK47 three days ago: Harsh words :D
I do echo the frustration though with shows you like not getting enough episodes. And then there are of course shows where I wonder, did they really need so many episodes/seasons.
You an always watch the old 160 episode ova of Legend of Galactic Heroes. Differences to date are minor
@Anon: Follow up films coming though.
Galactic Heroes, is starting to grow on me, is a shame, that's only 12 episodes so much potential being wasted. What happened to those times when long animes, could have at least 50 episodes ( Gundam Seed, Code Geass) and still be viable. feeling hopeless
@Mario: A female director you could also look into is Moufida Tlatli , especially silences of the palace.
@Mario: On golden kamuy, from reading on in the manga, there will be a big reveal regarding Asirpa soon. Also I feel the prisoner guys are becoming monster of the week.
@Mario: I'm glad to be reviewing stuff again on letterboxd.
@Mario: ....I...actually momentarily forgot about the PM system.
@Mario: Watch Bombshell, secrets of a hollywood star or calling hedy lamarr, Bombshell is a recent documentary about Lamarr.
@Mario: Von Triers new film looks darkly funny though to a degree and I love the self-indulgent first per3son narration.
@Mario: I have no idea how Stellan Skarsgard (who works alot with Von trier) produced Alexander Skarsgard, the latter is far too attractive to come from that. I feel the same about Asia Argento, I refuse to believe Dario could have produced such a fine creature.
@Mario: I'm rarely about morals or understanding as an importance when it comes to film, I care most about how it hits me on a visceral/emotional level, how daring it is in its imagination, visuals, madness , creativity.
@Kaiser: thanks, received it. God, Von Triers new film is entirely something else. Full-on provocation. And I already think his Nymphomaniac was too much
@Mario: Also I'm dying to see Von Trier and Chang-dongs new films, especially the priors.
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
That said, the key drama scenes were still great. Okabe's VA continues to make me happy. Im just not sure how much of this is nostalgia.
Steins;Gate is at its best in moments of character drama and character interaction. All of its value lies in its characters. Any action, with this muted style, is going to come off stiff and dull. A con of the art-style decision.
@Lenlo: I'm glad you said that, because I felt visually it looked stiff this week and that brief scene in the beginning wasn't much to look at. But Okabes meeting with Baldyguy-san and the cliffhanger and after credits bit were good scenes.
So yeah, this was probably the weakest week of Steins;Gate so far. Its pretty clear its not an action series and that its style doesnt suit itself well to combat scenes
... watching and reading many shounen titles (Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Bleach and the likes), shounen isn't my cup of tea at all
While I grow up
@Anon, I love Shounen. BnHA is one of my favorites every season its on. Doesnt mean I like Black Clover though
Thank you for that anon, when I watched the episode earlier I wasn't aware there was a post credits scene.
oh well, we still are early on in S;G 0 too. Plus, there seems to be a huge development at the end of the episode
idk, i can't help but feel that besides the amadeus plotline, everything else feels "fillery"
I must say though that I'm still waiting for it to get good, idk maybe my expectations are too high because the original was great after the first few episodes
Don't forget to watch end credits fo Steins Gate 0
I like some shonen. I just think that they are popular enough as not to be worth reviewing ihmo.
@Anon2140150 - I do. Though Shounen do have the issue of being derivative in certain aspects like power scales and several doing the FMA Brotherhood climax (of what I've watched). Also they're made to be endless. It can be intimidating jumping to one that has several seasons.
Does everyone here don't like shonen anime?
Really, if there is one piece of information (aside from otome maybe) that makes me ignore a series forever it's a LN about a LN author or illustrator. The selfinert wish fulfillment couldn't be more obvious.
Another LN greenlit for an anime production and the synopsis starts with "* is a light novel illustrator and..".
@KTravlos: I don't know why modern anime hate curly- and/or wild hair so much. The old hair style gave Reinhard a more royal look, whereas he looks like a normal highschool boy now. Not that I am complaining about the anime as a whole. Also, I like some of the new designs.
and a part of me things it is indeed the hair. It comes to low, giving Reinhard a slovenly, lazy feel. When Yang feels more energetic you know there was a mistake.
and yes, this Reinhard fares poorly in comparison to the OVA one. He is dull. I need more Yang :p
ai vay vay. The Castrop Rebellion remains waste of time. And this time it was worse. The older depiction was tacky but at least it showed Kircheis ability in a logical manner. This time I had no idea what the hell happened. It felt cheap.

The rest of the episode was ok. Not completely sold on all the renditions of imp. admirals though I still love the uniforms.
*those
Hearing these , I find myself much more tolerant of anime voice acting even if the dub might only be okay.
Its actually less of a sync issue, as I'm talking about 60s dubs , alot of people think the voices in old anime English dubs from the 90s are dated, but the old sixties kungfu and western dubs are shocking, far worse.
I don't mind sometimes satirical dubbing like on tiger lily , dialectics break bricks and kung pow however.
And those can be difficult to acquire sometimes in Italian or Chinese.
@Anon: Live action films, this is especially annoying sometimes because I love Spaghetti westerns and Chinese martial arts films and old Italian cop thrillers.
@Kaiser-Eoghan Are you referring to foreign animated films of foreign live action films because dubbing live action is a different beast as I'm sure you're aware. The idiosyncratic nature of watching moves and facial expressions not properly match voices really pulls the viewer out of the experience
SuperWooper
LoGH is airing a special next week because of scheduling delays, so that's one less thing to do.
Well to those whom it might concern, expect my posts to be later than usual this week. Work is hell at the moment.
I have to say, this is probably a bit hypocritical, but while I enjoy dubs of anime I really really can't stand dubs of foreign films.
Simo Hayha would make a pretty crazy Archer.
I imagine a fate strange fake adaptation will materialize eventually.
But everyone seems to want that Finnish sniper as a Fate servant .
Still no Mao, still mad.
....I have lost track of the historical characters in the fate lineup.
@Lenlo, to expand on that point the following historical figures are now female: Nero Claudius, Leonardo da Vinci, Frankenstein's Monster, Xuanzang, Jing Ke, Quetzalcoatl, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Miyamoto Musashi, Okita Souji and many more to come.
@Anon, I find it's an enjoyable watch though flawed. If you can get past some odd fanservice around the first ten episodes then I say it's worth watching.
So i was thinking if i start watching, darling in the franxx, is worth it? or is just another 6/10 anime?
God damnit. Why Nasu. Just why.
@Kaiser, that ain't even Lewd.
In all seriousness its ridiculous, the Japanese will make a cute/moe girl out of anything.
....Should I also mention that Francis Drake is a big boobed pirate queen?
@Aidan: Posting lewd images on a respectable chatbox.
@Lenlo, But none of these characters are in the anime adaptions. Well besides Jack and Saber.
Aidan, all this conversation did was prove that my decision to only ever watch the Ufotable adaptions was the correct decision.
@Lenlo, you can blame Extella for the Attlia the Hun thing. I wasn't too fond of it myself. Also should mention Attila is female as well.
Also Masky I will be the first to admit to the ridiculous aspects of the Fate Franchise but do take note that you are commenting on something you know literally nothing about. Which is the very definition of ignorance and is quite annoying. Fate/Zero nails the themes it's going for. So go watch Fate/Zero, come back and apologize.
@Masky, Give it time. Genghis is getting in there eventually with Grand Order. We just had Anastasia and Salieri introduced after all. And it's not as if this story introduces Servants willy nilly, they need actual story purpose. Genghis Khan wouldn't have fit the Narrative that Fate/Zero was going for.
Wait Attila is an Alien and Edison is a Lion? God damnit Fate. Why are you doing this to me. I was already annoyed at your treatment of Musashi
(aliens existing in the show is good example of that missing on themes part xP)
*most successful conqueror
Honestly was just amused most conqueror of all time not being featured in the show :D But wait, whats this about aliens?
Anyway the important thing to take into account is that in the Fate universe, King Arthur is a woman, Attila the Hun is an Alien, Thomas Edison is a lion and Jack the Ripper is a little girl in a dominatrix outfit. Any questions?
And while you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes, it does leave you ignorant of how that show handles those ideas and themes.
As for the Historical Alexander, he wasn't given the title of King of Couquerors. Fate/Zeros interpretation of him was. As generally accurate Fates interpretation of Servents history can be, they can make changes to suit the narrative.
In that Regard Alexander was doing the conquest thing before Ghengus did. Ghengus likely has some other title. Hell he may only have the title because public consciousness was is more familiar with Alexander than Ghengus.
Yeah, looking it up seems the King Title lost quite a lot of meaning in the Nasuverse. Though the King Title is rather flimsy. I mean Arthur is the King of Knights cause of the Knights of the round table. Gil is king of heroes because his tale was the first Heroic myth.
I think Alexander was just the first one they thought of, and they couldnt retroactively give it to someone else.

That said, Broskander deserves it <3
(And no, you don't need to watch something to be given divine right to comment on ideas or themes of it.)
(just to note in case I need to note, I do tend to do at least cursory research when I make comments on stuff I don't watch)
That first part is semantics as Fate gives title "King" to historical figures who weren't kings already :D Also, you can make that argument about historical Alexander the Great? Since that seriously sounds like kind of weak reason.
Also sees Rider as deserving of title of "King of Conquerors" because that which he strives to conquer most is not lands or material wealth, but the hearts of people, the toughest conquest that can be undertaken by anyone.
@Masky, Ghengis Khan wasn't a king. He was a Khan.
Ghengis is always a Rider in my mind.
But in all seriousness, Ghengis would be an appropriate beserker servant.
@Masky: I know, it feels so wrong I'm still mad I can't summon Karl Marx or Stalin.
So wait, Fate series is about historical figures with super powers, but "King of Conquerors" title isn't given to Ghengis Khan? :D Seriously? Thats just so wrong
I don't feel any point in finishing it, it feels like something that I'd just randomly drop , not because its a bad show, but because I got my fill of it.
I am actually going to drop blogging it.
@Sash, indeed. I have been watching it but not blogging it for the last few episodes because it just hasn't givne me anything to say. I don't think it's a bad show but I have pointed out the flaws and strengths of it already so there is truly nothing more to say on it.
Sash
I think wotakoi is starting to feel repetitive..
You are now aware Shana and Batman Ninja Harelequinn are both voiced by Rie kugimiya.
I did. It was... It was a thing.
@Lenlo: Did you end up watching Batman ninja by the way?
Music is great, yeah. When the music is on point, everything goes up. Everytime the sync the fight/punches to the music I just get hyped. Like the rotating shot with Aragaki or the first fight in episode 1.
Ill do my best to be clearer in the future on that front. Yeah, I dont mind twists like this. Makes the inevitable Mikio fight, narratively, even better.
I feel the music does alot of the lifting.
Oh, so that was it.
Sorry if I never made that clear.
I would rather have fewer, amazing, fights than a lot of low-quality fights. This is a one cour show, the more meaning/impact they can give each fight the better.

Like Aragaki, narratively, was great. Loved it. Its just in animation/choreography that it falls flat.
Im disappointed with the animation of the fights. Narratively, I think they are quite good.
*disappointed with the fights in past episodes
@Lenlo: Pretty much what I said I thought of the episode. Although I was surprised how took the episodes ending, I expected you to see it as a slap in the face after being disappointed with the fights.
Also, @Kaiser, I thought Megalo Box did something unique this episode. I wasn't expecting Joe to *not* fight. And the Mikio/Yukiko proxy war is an interesting character motivation. Im betting Yukiko will get Joe a full citizenship, effectively getting her on his side.
I wish I was physically capable of watching Megalo Box without thinking of Hajime no Ippo. I really do. But everytime I watch it, it makes me want to watch Ippo again to.
Anonymous2120908
I watched some more of the Chimera family chinese anime. (Wasn't aware it was monthly released). And geez, I like the concept, the background art is very pretty and contrasts with settings that have become tired in other anime. Yet sadly the animation and script are WEAK. I haven't grasped the quality of what's expected of these types of production but I want to believe, they're trying.
Not much in the way of action in megalobox this week, but I did like the focus on Yukkiko getting a small character moment and then the big moment at episodes end .
@Anon, That's some lazy ass trolling buddy. Should have stopped before the hashtags.
I'm even sort of looking forward to supposedly less respectable stuff like Goblin slayer and happy sugar life.
Also E3 is almost here. And I can't wait. I think Nintendo will have a good show considering they're revealing the new Smash with a tournament. There's rumors of the new game by Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong) and maybe they'll reveal something about how Pokemon will be on the Switch.
Also there's always the chance of something new being discovered. Not everything needs expectations behind. Sometimes great things come out of nowhere.
So yes, there are some at least decent shows coming out.
@Anon: Muh Baki, Muh Bananna fish, muh made in abyss season 2, muh Vinland.
Anonymous2119906
The rest of this year looks like shit for anime and 2019 doesn't look great either #fuckmoe #makeanimegreatagain
Anonymous2119214
@Kaiser yeah it happened in half the amount of eps this time around for steins gate 0; which i expected considering there's a lot of ground to cover
Anonymous2119106
@Supermario Something like Fate or the LOTR films are a different case. I get where you're coming from about your preference, but I'm arguing that if a large story is going to be split into 3 films, it helps that the 3 films feel cleanly cut. Infinity war, even though we know there's a second part to the story, feels like it has that cohesive narrative structure with a beginning, middle, and end
Anonymous2119106
@Super Mario yea but the marvel movies are a different situation so i don't think the comparison is as appropriate. Marvel movies are "episodic" in nature rather than a continuous narrative. The films are largely isolated stories that are happening in a similar universe that only happen to "congeal" narratively because of a few overarching details shared between films.
@Lenlo: I remember when the original series suddenly shifted and got going and it was a really depressing episode.
Oh baby. The storm has finally come in Steins;Gate. Let the true suffering commence
@anon2118276: that's why I don't like LoTR trilogy. It's still a whole body chopped up in 3 parts, despite how clean the cut is. Whereas for me it works better if it was like a branch in a tree. The Marvel movies (despite my disinterest on those) are a good example of this.
While I did feel some of this weeks steins gate felt fillery, I do like see these characters interact and given the episodes conclusion, this episode acted as a calm before the storm.
Ill agree with you on King Kong. As for the Ralph Bakshi LotR, I have. I am still to this day impressed by the overlay of 2D art onto real/overexposed footage. It makes for shockingly fluid animation in places and has its own distinct style
@Lenlo - Have you watched the old Ralph Bakshi adaptation of the first two books? It's uneven, but it's interesting comparing and contrasting certain decisions. As good as Peter Jackson is, I feel he makes very longwinded films, I like his version of King Kong a lot, but it is too long.
@supermario i disagree; the point is that even though the LOTH films have cliffhanger endings, they still feel like fils. they have a defined first second and third act with well paced tension and release throughout them. They follow a storytelling macrostructure necessary for films to feel like cohesive narratives even if they are to end on a cliffhanger
I quite liked the individual LOTR movie just fyi
Marvel surprisingly has kept their movies simple enough, that while you might miss details nowadays, you can tell what's happening.
Another bad case is like with Assassin's Creed, which like Lost, just tried to tease a lot of things, then it grew tired of trying to piece them together and let the last games work more standalone, with little hints of a larger lore.
Metroid does both, it has a standalone story and a hint to what a sequel might bring. Though that hint rarely matters by the time the new game is released.
@SuperMario - Some videogames trilogies also do that. Gears of War and God of War had good standalone beginnings but by the second game they put cliffhanging endings. Kingdom Hearts does that and I expect 3 to also do it. Megaman Legends and Half Life had incomplete stories, which might be the worse case in regards to trying to make a continuous story.
It ruins the appetite
I actually think Lord of the Rings' trilogy is a bad example to follow. These films are meant to be viewed as a whole, so each film doesn't hold much as an individual story. I just can't digest films that have "to be continued" sign at the end. Imagine having a first course meal and then have to wait for few days for second course
On the current topic, I would be well for the production of a long running, ambitious ova series.
then again, i don't take too much issue with these films feeling like movie-sized eps...the wait just sucks is all
clearly the films need each other to tell the whole story, yet they can be taken for what they are in isolation as well
I don't mind the trilogy trend at all; like Aidan said, when everything is said and done, all the films will be available to watch. I just think a stronger attempt should be made to make them feel like complete films. Something like the lord of the rings trilogy is a great example of how to do this
I am in full confidence that neither I nor Miura will survive to the end of berserk.
Of course maybe they won't have a future , think about it that way, then they'd never see it, life has that weird way of being unpredictable like that =P
You can always rewatch them just before watching the one after.
Of course not. But that's the thing. The wait is only a temporary problem. Anyone in the future will have all movies ready to view.
So it's best to wait for another 2 years to watch Heaven's Feel? Hell NOT
When all the movies come out though you can basically barrel through it like a TV series.
Dangit, it's me Mario
I still don't know if I like this trilogy trend. We've had a fair bun h of those in recent years (Berserk Golden Age, Madoka, even Kizumonogatari). I guess doing it that way, they'd make much more profits, and we have higher production values, but the wait is way too long and I don't think it works as movie-format
One of the very rare times where self-awareness works.

Steins;Gate 0 – 7 [Eclipse of Vibronic Transition -Vibronic Transition-]

Oh boy, Steins;Gate 0 was definitely a thing this week, whatever that means. This time we have clashing styles, interesting plot twists and one hell of a cliffhanger. Lets jump in! To start off, lets get the obvious out of the way. Steins;Gate 0 is not an action series and it shows. The opening “combat” […]

Golden Kamuy – 07 [Complication]

This week ties up one plot thread that is Nihei and Tanigaki and their quest for hunting down the wise wolf and overall it does a decent job at that. Continuing from where the last episode left of, this final confrontation works for me because everyone has a moment to shine. Sugimoto proves that he […]

Hisone to Masotan – 06 [I’ll Shout Your Name]

At one point during this episode I almost felt that Hoshino was just too overboard. Being stubborn is one thing, but when you’re too stubborn you outright hurt others’ feeling without backing down, it’s irritating to watch. The issue with Hoshino, as we come to learn during the flashback, is that piloting an F2 has […]

Megalo Box – 7 [The Road to Death]

Hello everyone, and welcome to the most surprising episode of Megalo Box yet. This week we have family drama, Joe’s declining health and a shocker of an ending. Lets jump in! So starting from the top, lets talk about this ending. I never thought Megalo Box would pull something like this, with its limited number […]

Hinamatsuri – 07 [Anzu Is a Greeter Now]

At this halfway mark, I want point out that the comedy of Hinamatsuri isn’t as sharp as the first few episodes (except for the segment including Hitomi’s classmates). There’s still absurdist sense of humor, sure, but it doesn’t make me laugh out lout or even make me chuckle. That is to say I come to […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 7[The Capture of Iserlohn (Part 2)]

The majority of this episode was detailing the plan and execution of Yangs takeover of Iserlohn which does seem rather simplistic when you think about it. This is a point where LOGH shows its age a bit and while they tried to bump it up by throwing in a body scanner, there is still the […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 6 [Eclipse of Orbital Ordering -The Orbital Eclipse-]

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Steins;Gate 0 has stomped the throttle and cut the breaks. Lets skip the intro and just get right to it. Early on I thought this episode was going to be slow, we were going to focus on our characters and relax a bit. I thought it would be drama […]

Golden Kamuy – 06 [Hunter’s Soul]

Well, (animal) shit. Golden Kamuy starts slow this week and ends with a bang. This episode presents many of Golden Kamuy’s ups and downs so it’s best to dissect them one by one. For the negative part, the pacing is still off. This episode spends too much time on Sugimoto and Asirpa hunting that poor […]

Hisone no Masotan – 05 [Do You Really Think That There’s Anybody Who Likes Being Disliked?]

There’s one thing you can count on original shows, you can never know for sure what the plot is going next. Sometimes, it surprises you with its sheer originality and sometimes, it could go to weird places. HisoMaso falls into the latter this week, literally where it’s taking us to an uninhabited island for the […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]