Posted by psgels on 9 August 2012 with categories: Summer 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Hunter X Hunter – 42: Half a year ago, when the build-up still was a drag to get through, I remember noting how it was impossible for this series to get Senritsu (or Melody in some subs) right. Imagine my surprise when in this episode, the voice actress gave a great performance as the gentle yet sharp music hunter. Beyond that, Madhouse delivered some really good animation on the arm wrestling, and it’s just so much fun to see all of the chess pieces moving into the right position for the action to start. Rewatching the Hunter Exam arc really took a toll on my patience, but it was worth the wait. – 5,5/8 (Excellent)

#2: Tari Tari – 06: Ah, I see the formula now: every member of the cast gets a few episodes of time to tell his or her story. This concludes Wakana’s story, and to be honest this was really heart-warming to watch. The use of a dead mother was a dangerous cliche to use, but the way she came to terms with everything really worked quite nicely here. 5/8 (Great)

#3: Kokoro Connect: I tend to dislike plots like the one of this episode, because they’re rather overused and often underutilized, but at least it was well explained. I like this series and its really sharp dialogue, but it is not my favorite of the season and I do have a bit of criticism for it: this could be more balanced and sometimes feels a tad too forced. It’s either really silly for a long time, or really dramatic for a long time. Change things up a bit. Play with the scenario. Flesh the characters out in interesting ways. Also, this is a light novel adaptation, right? Will this all fit in just 12 episodes? – 4,5/8 (Good)

#4: Saint Seiya Omega – 18: Interesting. A few years ago I watched a lot of those episodic travelling adventures, and what annoyed me with most of them is a refusal to split up the main party, even when this would have been the most logical turn of events. Because of this, I like what the writers did here and did not expect that to happen. The character in question definitely emerged as a better one out of this episode. – 4,5/8 (Good)

#5: Polar Bear Cafe – 19: An average episode for Polar Bear Cafe’s standards. It brought in a lot of new characters, though. The penguins in the first half in particular were funny, but in the second half there were a few too many of them, to the point where they took over the entire story. Which wasn’t really that interesting. – 4/8 (Nice)

#5: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon – 17: This was a much better improvement and a very fun episode to watch. The innuendo jokes perhaps were really cliched, but everything else was pretty damn interesting. The best was that wolf guy who literally fought with the justice of England on his side. How do they come up with it? – 4/8 (Nice)

#6: Phi Brain – 42: I’m actually liking this series again, and the new direction of trying to save the villains is starting to work for me again. It’s still not as good as what the first season was at this stage, but it’s definitely getting there. The puzzles are also interesting and varied again, thank god for that. – 4/8 (Nice)

Maji de Otakuna English! Ribbon-chan OVA: This is an OVA that appeared a few weeks ago, along with Kyou no Asuka Show. It’s five minutes long, and it’s pretty much a parody of really bad otaku-targetted mahou shoujo. It had some nice ideas highlighting how hopeless these productions sometimes can be, and the way in which it was basically the same take trice with different narrators was a nice touch. Do I recommend it though? Nah, the jokes just weren’t good enough for it, and even though it was parodying cliches, most of its jokes were dead horses themselves. Only check this out if you’re a fan of the genre. 3/8 (Mediocre)

#7: Total Eclipse – 06: Oh for god’s sake, Total Eclipse. This was the final straw. You already were on a thin line, and then you come with such an atrocious episode as this one. This was the kind of episode that I feared would appear ever since the director got announced. And yeah, with this he strikes me as a guy who is just plain incompetent. He tried to do both the direction and series composition here, so I can see that he’s a fan of the Muv Luv franchise, and I like how he focused the first two episodes on one of the side-characters, but beyond that, he just has no clue how to tell an interesting story and instead just heads off into bad acting and fanservice. It’s a pity for him that he ended up getting that depression, because he probably worked really hard on this, but a directing job is just way above his league. Dropped. And Welcome to Island!!! – 1/8 (Terrible)

#8: Kyou no Asuka Show OVA: Ah, people warned me not to check this out, but I just had to give it a try for myself. Kyou no Asuka show is basically a 5-minute OVA, and it turned out to be about one single joke: a girl whose skirt was stuck under her bag. This episode was basically every guy who ran into her getting flustered and horny, and this was as badly delivered as it sounds. Who greenlighted this? – 1/8 (Terrible)

1. snu says:

“Will this all fit in just 12 episodes?”

Research a little bit more please.

• UltimateReaper says:

It appears that there are 4 more light novels after the current 4 being adapted into this anime, I am a bit surprised as this struck me as a short type of story, if anything we may be seeing a second season. Hopefully actually, I hate unfinished butchered stories, like Deadman Wonderland, I’m not much of a manga reader, so that sort of thing hits home for me.

2. UltimateReaper says:

This episode actually hit me by surprise, I suppose I haven’t seen enough anime to call anything a cliche, I’ve only got around 20 series under my belt, but as for flaws, the resolution was rather quick and things could have been more dramatic/well executed. As for 12 episodes, I think it depends on the pacing from here on out, Sometimes all a story needs is a last major arc over the course of 3 episodes that wraps things up neatly. Lets just hope its not a cliffhanger/half assed ending

3. jzar says:

I think the last episode was awesome. I’ve watched a tons of anime like you but I fail to see this as a cliche. They were going to kill off a main character. That was cool and refreshing. I loved how they all reacted to it, it was sad and funny all at the same time.

Warning Spoiler next,

I thought they did some fresh looks at it and I loved the little kiss thing. Nicely done without too much drama and it made perfect sense. They really built up well to this episode. 6/8 for me.

• nodbgp says:

Well the cliche in it, is the fact that they didn’t kill the main character. Still I wouldn’t rate the episode any less because of it, since the event fitted both the setting and the characters (specially the heartseed gu… err thing?) and wasn’t there just for the sake of being there and build drama like zillions of other series do.

• AidanAK47 says:

“They were going to kill off a main character. That was cool and refreshing.”

No. They pretended to kill off the main character. That’s a fake death which has been used since god knows when. It’s a common writing tactic to fool the reader into thinking that “Shit just got real” and increase anticipation only to pull a “Just kidding” and negate it. For examples reference Yu yu Hakusho, Mawaru-Penguindrum and every shounen battle manga in existence.

• wicked says:

Did everyone really expected her to die? I mean forget that it’s only the 5th episode and the expectation of of a cliche. There was no build up to her death at all and she didnt die instantly, only information you get came not from a doctor, but via an emotionless god knows what. for it to be a “Shit just got real” tactic, it didnt exactly do its job. It did more for the character than the audience

• rubix22 says:

Not to knock at your point, as I agree, but I rather you didn’t use shounen as your examples towards Kokoro Connect. And Mawaru-Penguindrum as well… since, you know. It’s really hard to say what happened there…

• Scruffy says:

Well in Mawaru-Penguindrum they did kill off the two main characters in the end as they ceased to exist or at least could not be observed by anyone after the final station.

• AidanAK47 says:

I was using shounen battle mangaa as examples of fake deaths.
          And mate, Mawaru-Penguindrum was full of fake deaths. Shouma, Ringo, Himari and Masako all “Died” at some point in the series. Himari in question had three fake deaths.

• Scruffy says:

yup … Himari was a walking fake death all though the series. The surprise with her was that she actually lived.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think we can all agree symphogear’s ending is a recent example of the fake death thing at its worst. Only thing that had going for it was the music and fights the story and characters were horrible.

• rubix22 says:

Well… I was speaking about using examples that are more relative to the subject… like for instance other dramas. As for Penguindrum, which I suppose is in fact a drama, well, I have my opinions on that, but I’d rather not say them in the comments section of an article that’s not really related. So I’ll drop it.

4. rubix22 says:

From the looks of it, Kokoro Connect ended its first ‘arc’. Though, since everyone’s problems are solved, where can it go now?

5. Bunny says:

BUT EVERYONE’S PROBLEMS AREN’T SOLVED!!!! they have just opened up about them it doesn’t mean, “hey i told you my problem so im better now”, its “hey im struggling with this problem i have and don’t know what to do”. Even when taichi gave advice it didn’t fix anything he was just reassuring the characters that he is here for them which doesn’t mean the problems fix.

• Chu says:

Problems were fixed.

Yui agrophobia’s has largely dissipated after her nighttime experience with Tachi. Iori, after a near death experience, has presumably learned to put less weight on her numerous persona(s) and the interpretations that she believes people construe from them. Inaba’s “problem” isn’t an issue in a true sense – her friends accept her admittedly lackluster personality, for better or worse.

I’m curious about the reason Inaba developed the way she did; I can’t buy the “born-this-way” argument. Some material can be presented on this point.

• wicked says:

Here’s the thing, issues in fiction tend to be fix by one game changing event. The bitch who picks on you becomes your friend when you save her puppy. Nah, usually she continues to be a bitch, just maybe a little less bitchy. It’s not really the case, or else therapy wouldn’t cost so much time and money. It didnt happen in this either. Issues are revealed, dealt with, but not completely cured

• Chu says:

I hold the optimistic belief that mental issues, given enough attention, can be completely cured.

Therapy is of subjective value. Lots of therapy is not equivalent to quality attention. Where therapists perform a job, I’d like to believe that Tachi conducts a service.

Friends can be powerful.

• wicked says:

That’s not my point. People usually dont turn around and have break through at the drop of a hat, or after one event like portrayed by fictions. It usually takes a series of incremental steps

• Scruffy says:

You’re equating personality defects with mental issues. Personality defects are NOT mental disorders and yes people are born with them. If they are particularly bad they either learn coping mechanisms or become outcasts.

• wicked says:

I dont really equate them I’m really strictly talking about issues, though my example was probably misleading.

Coping mechanism can be a a great variety of thing. Take Yui’s fear of men for example, it came from a previous trauma , the way she coped with it by changing her behaviors and eventually is condition into fear. It’s not always so easy to rid of a phobia like that, even if she rationally understood there’s nothing to fear, she’s already been conditioned to deal with it a certain way, so it take a conscious effort to slowly get more comfortable.

Others alter their personality to cope, people with trust issues(usually stem from family in teens) tend to act independently, become less receptive and in personality types that doesnt repress well, they lash out, which can be interpreted as bitchy

6. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I can’t completely buy the idea of everything being settled though, if it is then I see that as not very believable for it to washed over and solved so soon and easily but this is nitpicking from my end.

7. Chu says:

The emotional impact of the episode was ruined. I think Inaba should have died; Heartseed should be evil.

Did anyone catch that “expression” Heartseed had just before his timer went off? Call me crazy, but I believe that Inaba was fated to die; something outside the control of everyone (including Heartseed) occurred, changing the event timeline.

Conspiracy theories – go.

See the moment I’m referring to at: http://i.imgur.com/UPJqq.png

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I don’t agree with regards to the emotional aspect being ruined but I think wheather heartseed is evil or not or whether Inaba died or not I would have accepted it either way and been emotionally involved with that episode.

8. boo says:

Inaba is lackluster? She doesn’t just has trusting issues she is a paranoid, not sure you could call that a dull personality.

I agree, none of the currently presented issues has been cured. At this point the progress has stopped at self-awareness and I doubt the issues will be “cured”. Realistically speaking these kind of issues never fully go away, you just learn to cope better and to avoid triggers.

Additionally nobody has dealt with the guy’s issues, yet. I’m not completely sure what’s Aoki big secret, but Taichi seem to have a “Nice Guy Syndrome”, “selfless freak” is just a nice way to put it.

Also, I kind of have the feeling that had they choose wrongly and had Taichi (or anyone else) committed self-sacrifice Iory would die. This whole incident was to teach a lesson and to test them.

• Chu says:

Very well explained.

However, I do hold the optimistic notion that issues such as these can be fully cured. The question of whether it has occurred to the characters in this anime remain uncertain.

“selfless freak” is not a bad label. I believe it’s Inaba’s hidden inferiority complex that causes her envy of Tachi. Nothing wrong with being a nice guy.

Also, I took lackluster to mean “far from perfect”, not “dull”. In this sense, Inaba has a very lacking character, to put it lightly.

• boo says:

There are plenty of wrongs with being a “nice guy” in that particular context. Inaba has already pointed out one major one when discussing Iori with him in the earlier episode.

Thing is in anime a “nice guy” is as often a male hero as a doormat girl is often a hero in romances, so it really could go both ways. I guess we will see…

• Chu says:

I do agree that taking the place of Iori was faulty and incorrect. I’m referring to Tachi’s desire to help others out of intrinsic motivation.

That’s much better than Inaba, who creates drama for the sake of creating drama. She’s that person nobody (outside of anime conventions) wants to hang out with.

9. RABUJOI says:

I’m a sucker for these plots, especially when they’re this well done. I was willing to suspend my disbelief in what most of the episode was proposing (the death of a major character), something one has to do all the time if you’re into Star Trek (every other episode, a major character is in jeopardy). Once you’re over that hurdle and can enjoy the execution and details of the episode, which were both superb.

Also, this wasn’t merely a “reset button” episode: confessions were exchanged which will have lasting implications. The peril may have been manufactured by the godlike being, but the emotions it brought out were very real, and won’t be soon forgotten by the characters. In our opinion, this was the best episode of Kokoro yet.

10. AidanAK47 says:

“The peril may have been manufactured by the godlike being, but the emotions it brought out were very real, and won’t be soon forgotten by the characters.”

Oh ho ho…you think? I bet you that the emotions present here will never amount to anything and will soon be forgotten once the next arc starts.
    We shall see the answer in one or two episodes time.

• Mitleser says:

It’s an very well-done adaption of a series of light novels.
      Don’t make such bets, if you don’t know about the plot of the source material.

• AidanAK47 says:

I am making a bet because I know light novels. I know the formulas and I can guess the ways a writer will take it. And from what I have seen this writer hasn’t shown himself to be good enough to use such development.
        So I will bet. I am not saying that it will be that way. I am guessing. There is no harm in that.

11. HybridBloodsZak says:

Wow… Madhouse couldn’t have chosen a worse place to end the episode XD
    This Saturday is going to be a LONG WAIT for the EPICNESS that is going to ensue. I can’t freaking wait!

12. AidanAK47 says:

About total Eclipse Psgels, I am pretty sure this wasn’t the Directors fault. I haven’t read the source material but I know the writer so it’s possible this was in the source material too. The writer isn’t above such shameless tactics. Muv Luv did start off as a very generic harem after all.
    But yeah…an island. It’s not as if that hasn’t been done to death…(Yes, that is sarcasm)

13. Carbine Gammaximon says:

And finally, I won the bet! A friend and I where arguing just how much mind-numbing Psgels could take from Total Eclipse. I said ep6.

I read the manga only because I hadn’t heard of Muv-Luv before the anime and I can only imagine some people sat down and simply decided “Lets make this one of the worst this season but hook people with a high quality premise”. Ep6 almost made me curse “Guilty Crown”. but to each his own.

PS: Just curious, does the author of a manga have a say in who has the anime adaptation rights? I can’t say i’m knowledgeable enough to conclude that’s the case.

14. kobester11 says:

About muvluv psgels, Inagaki just directed the first 2 episodes. Masaomi ANDO directed episode 3 onwards… So, yeah… don’t blame it to Inagaki.

Kokoro just finished the first LN. After Heartseed, what misadventures will the group encounter?

For some reason, Tari tari is working out for me. I mean I’m afraid since it has only like 13 episodes but basing from the recent episodes I thinks it’s gonna work out but still; True tears >>>>>> Tari tari

Customize
afgm
Midterms have been slowing me down considerably haha
afgm
@K-off: yeah I did! thanks for that. I've been looking through the code stuff, just getting to know it.
reaLjustified
I think the rabbit character does the job
reaLjustified
I think the banner might look even better without the girl. Or make her tiny and off in the distance. I don't know, I'm not an artist by any stretch so that's just me.
Finally bought my first new car, a 2015 Altima, my used Sentra served me well for 3 years but damn was it a pain in the ass, and of course its trade in value was fuck-all. But luckily my credit is good enough for me to land a relatively low annual interest rate. Which is excellent because I need to shave off my remaining student loans to maximize my dti since I want to purchase a home
You might say the new banner will be...Friendtastic!
I'm fairly content with either the top one or the bottom one either way. Though the current banner does have the character standing on the left.
@Friend Looks great, and I prefer the bottom one. Maybe it's just me but the tree hugging the leftmost edge makes it look a little inclusive.
@Afgm Forgot to tell you but I did change your status a few days ago, hope you noticed it.
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.
qualidea code's characters havent become better in terms of how they are written; only that they have been fleshed out in the most generic and trivial of ways as to sympathize with them; and sure, they have become some what likeable in the same way you'd like a person who you heard nothing but kind things about but that does not save the characters from being boring. QC is still a bad show
@Anon27511, even if the animation was kept consistent the story still can't really escape the done to death aspect of it's story. I agree that the writing has gotten better but despite that the show just feels...meh.
Fucking Qualidea Code, as the story and characters become more interesting, the animation and drawing proportionately decreases. Sad they simply do not have the budget to pull off what seems like a potentially very good story
@Mike I'm sure you already heard but for some reason I didn't keep up to date. I thought it was strange that releases stopped in March after chapter 68,.
Just learned that the writer of my favorite webtoon is battling terminal cancer, but despite it she hopes to finish it someday. God damn I would've never expected this.
@Mario: Once spilled hot microwaved food over my hand by mistake, hurt for a day.
*remaining
@Bam: The story and ideas however were better in gandahar I felt. Time masters while good was a bit stop and start in its pace and animation.
I’m definitely interested in Laloux’s other, short animations and Mobius’ comic book work.
@Bam: I watched Rene Laloux's remain animated films, Gandahar and time masters, I enjoyed both but not as much as Fantastic planet. I remember we talked about fantastic planet two years ago. Did you see the other two I mentioned. I liked the big moments and the ending to time masters, especially those angel things.
Ok. I beat Federation Force. I think the main positive is that the levels were playable despite the lack of voice chat. The bosses took a lot of damage and the beginning and end are relevant to the Prime continuity.
@K-Off: I did it once just like you did, and once when I put a metal bowl into a microwave. So yeah, boys will always be boys.
Bam
I tried my best not to half-ass either of them tho. Any oddity you guys see just write it off as mental exhaustion.
Bam
Okay, I'm officially beat. These two reviews should be considered companion pieces, as some material from one flew into the other. Thank god that episode 08 was not a heavy one, or I'd be completely depleted.
Shit, I'm a damn idiot at baking, slightly burnt my hand a minute ago grabbing a hot tray with a wet towl. Why do I even try.
@afgm Alright, send me a message at fightthepowwa@gmail.com and we'll work it out.

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 06 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 06

It a beginning of a dark path for Ritsu as his own inadequacies are pushing him in a direction that won’t end well for him. Part of the problem is the student council president whom is called Shinji. He happens to remind me of another Shinji in another series who had an equally punchable face […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]