Posted by psgels on 9 August 2012 with categories: Summer 2012 Kaleidoscope

#1: Hunter X Hunter – 42: Half a year ago, when the build-up still was a drag to get through, I remember noting how it was impossible for this series to get Senritsu (or Melody in some subs) right. Imagine my surprise when in this episode, the voice actress gave a great performance as the gentle yet sharp music hunter. Beyond that, Madhouse delivered some really good animation on the arm wrestling, and it’s just so much fun to see all of the chess pieces moving into the right position for the action to start. Rewatching the Hunter Exam arc really took a toll on my patience, but it was worth the wait. – 5,5/8 (Excellent)

#2: Tari Tari – 06: Ah, I see the formula now: every member of the cast gets a few episodes of time to tell his or her story. This concludes Wakana’s story, and to be honest this was really heart-warming to watch. The use of a dead mother was a dangerous cliche to use, but the way she came to terms with everything really worked quite nicely here. 5/8 (Great)

#3: Kokoro Connect: I tend to dislike plots like the one of this episode, because they’re rather overused and often underutilized, but at least it was well explained. I like this series and its really sharp dialogue, but it is not my favorite of the season and I do have a bit of criticism for it: this could be more balanced and sometimes feels a tad too forced. It’s either really silly for a long time, or really dramatic for a long time. Change things up a bit. Play with the scenario. Flesh the characters out in interesting ways. Also, this is a light novel adaptation, right? Will this all fit in just 12 episodes? – 4,5/8 (Good)

#4: Saint Seiya Omega – 18: Interesting. A few years ago I watched a lot of those episodic travelling adventures, and what annoyed me with most of them is a refusal to split up the main party, even when this would have been the most logical turn of events. Because of this, I like what the writers did here and did not expect that to happen. The character in question definitely emerged as a better one out of this episode. – 4,5/8 (Good)

#5: Polar Bear Cafe – 19: An average episode for Polar Bear Cafe’s standards. It brought in a lot of new characters, though. The penguins in the first half in particular were funny, but in the second half there were a few too many of them, to the point where they took over the entire story. Which wasn’t really that interesting. – 4/8 (Nice)

#5: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon – 17: This was a much better improvement and a very fun episode to watch. The innuendo jokes perhaps were really cliched, but everything else was pretty damn interesting. The best was that wolf guy who literally fought with the justice of England on his side. How do they come up with it? – 4/8 (Nice)

#6: Phi Brain – 42: I’m actually liking this series again, and the new direction of trying to save the villains is starting to work for me again. It’s still not as good as what the first season was at this stage, but it’s definitely getting there. The puzzles are also interesting and varied again, thank god for that. – 4/8 (Nice)

Maji de Otakuna English! Ribbon-chan OVA: This is an OVA that appeared a few weeks ago, along with Kyou no Asuka Show. It’s five minutes long, and it’s pretty much a parody of really bad otaku-targetted mahou shoujo. It had some nice ideas highlighting how hopeless these productions sometimes can be, and the way in which it was basically the same take trice with different narrators was a nice touch. Do I recommend it though? Nah, the jokes just weren’t good enough for it, and even though it was parodying cliches, most of its jokes were dead horses themselves. Only check this out if you’re a fan of the genre. 3/8 (Mediocre)

#7: Total Eclipse – 06: Oh for god’s sake, Total Eclipse. This was the final straw. You already were on a thin line, and then you come with such an atrocious episode as this one. This was the kind of episode that I feared would appear ever since the director got announced. And yeah, with this he strikes me as a guy who is just plain incompetent. He tried to do both the direction and series composition here, so I can see that he’s a fan of the Muv Luv franchise, and I like how he focused the first two episodes on one of the side-characters, but beyond that, he just has no clue how to tell an interesting story and instead just heads off into bad acting and fanservice. It’s a pity for him that he ended up getting that depression, because he probably worked really hard on this, but a directing job is just way above his league. Dropped. And Welcome to Island!!! – 1/8 (Terrible)

#8: Kyou no Asuka Show OVA: Ah, people warned me not to check this out, but I just had to give it a try for myself. Kyou no Asuka show is basically a 5-minute OVA, and it turned out to be about one single joke: a girl whose skirt was stuck under her bag. This episode was basically every guy who ran into her getting flustered and horny, and this was as badly delivered as it sounds. Who greenlighted this? – 1/8 (Terrible)

1. snu says:

“Will this all fit in just 12 episodes?”

Research a little bit more please.

• UltimateReaper says:

It appears that there are 4 more light novels after the current 4 being adapted into this anime, I am a bit surprised as this struck me as a short type of story, if anything we may be seeing a second season. Hopefully actually, I hate unfinished butchered stories, like Deadman Wonderland, I’m not much of a manga reader, so that sort of thing hits home for me.

2. UltimateReaper says:

This episode actually hit me by surprise, I suppose I haven’t seen enough anime to call anything a cliche, I’ve only got around 20 series under my belt, but as for flaws, the resolution was rather quick and things could have been more dramatic/well executed. As for 12 episodes, I think it depends on the pacing from here on out, Sometimes all a story needs is a last major arc over the course of 3 episodes that wraps things up neatly. Lets just hope its not a cliffhanger/half assed ending

3. jzar says:

I think the last episode was awesome. I’ve watched a tons of anime like you but I fail to see this as a cliche. They were going to kill off a main character. That was cool and refreshing. I loved how they all reacted to it, it was sad and funny all at the same time.

Warning Spoiler next,

I thought they did some fresh looks at it and I loved the little kiss thing. Nicely done without too much drama and it made perfect sense. They really built up well to this episode. 6/8 for me.

• nodbgp says:

Well the cliche in it, is the fact that they didn’t kill the main character. Still I wouldn’t rate the episode any less because of it, since the event fitted both the setting and the characters (specially the heartseed gu… err thing?) and wasn’t there just for the sake of being there and build drama like zillions of other series do.

• AidanAK47 says:

“They were going to kill off a main character. That was cool and refreshing.”

No. They pretended to kill off the main character. That’s a fake death which has been used since god knows when. It’s a common writing tactic to fool the reader into thinking that “Shit just got real” and increase anticipation only to pull a “Just kidding” and negate it. For examples reference Yu yu Hakusho, Mawaru-Penguindrum and every shounen battle manga in existence.

• wicked says:

Did everyone really expected her to die? I mean forget that it’s only the 5th episode and the expectation of of a cliche. There was no build up to her death at all and she didnt die instantly, only information you get came not from a doctor, but via an emotionless god knows what. for it to be a “Shit just got real” tactic, it didnt exactly do its job. It did more for the character than the audience

• rubix22 says:

Not to knock at your point, as I agree, but I rather you didn’t use shounen as your examples towards Kokoro Connect. And Mawaru-Penguindrum as well… since, you know. It’s really hard to say what happened there…

• Scruffy says:

Well in Mawaru-Penguindrum they did kill off the two main characters in the end as they ceased to exist or at least could not be observed by anyone after the final station.

• AidanAK47 says:

I was using shounen battle mangaa as examples of fake deaths.
          And mate, Mawaru-Penguindrum was full of fake deaths. Shouma, Ringo, Himari and Masako all “Died” at some point in the series. Himari in question had three fake deaths.

• Scruffy says:

yup … Himari was a walking fake death all though the series. The surprise with her was that she actually lived.

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I think we can all agree symphogear’s ending is a recent example of the fake death thing at its worst. Only thing that had going for it was the music and fights the story and characters were horrible.

• rubix22 says:

Well… I was speaking about using examples that are more relative to the subject… like for instance other dramas. As for Penguindrum, which I suppose is in fact a drama, well, I have my opinions on that, but I’d rather not say them in the comments section of an article that’s not really related. So I’ll drop it.

4. rubix22 says:

From the looks of it, Kokoro Connect ended its first ‘arc’. Though, since everyone’s problems are solved, where can it go now?

5. Bunny says:

BUT EVERYONE’S PROBLEMS AREN’T SOLVED!!!! they have just opened up about them it doesn’t mean, “hey i told you my problem so im better now”, its “hey im struggling with this problem i have and don’t know what to do”. Even when taichi gave advice it didn’t fix anything he was just reassuring the characters that he is here for them which doesn’t mean the problems fix.

• Chu says:

Problems were fixed.

Yui agrophobia’s has largely dissipated after her nighttime experience with Tachi. Iori, after a near death experience, has presumably learned to put less weight on her numerous persona(s) and the interpretations that she believes people construe from them. Inaba’s “problem” isn’t an issue in a true sense – her friends accept her admittedly lackluster personality, for better or worse.

I’m curious about the reason Inaba developed the way she did; I can’t buy the “born-this-way” argument. Some material can be presented on this point.

• wicked says:

Here’s the thing, issues in fiction tend to be fix by one game changing event. The bitch who picks on you becomes your friend when you save her puppy. Nah, usually she continues to be a bitch, just maybe a little less bitchy. It’s not really the case, or else therapy wouldn’t cost so much time and money. It didnt happen in this either. Issues are revealed, dealt with, but not completely cured

• Chu says:

I hold the optimistic belief that mental issues, given enough attention, can be completely cured.

Therapy is of subjective value. Lots of therapy is not equivalent to quality attention. Where therapists perform a job, I’d like to believe that Tachi conducts a service.

Friends can be powerful.

• wicked says:

That’s not my point. People usually dont turn around and have break through at the drop of a hat, or after one event like portrayed by fictions. It usually takes a series of incremental steps

• Scruffy says:

You’re equating personality defects with mental issues. Personality defects are NOT mental disorders and yes people are born with them. If they are particularly bad they either learn coping mechanisms or become outcasts.

• wicked says:

I dont really equate them I’m really strictly talking about issues, though my example was probably misleading.

Coping mechanism can be a a great variety of thing. Take Yui’s fear of men for example, it came from a previous trauma , the way she coped with it by changing her behaviors and eventually is condition into fear. It’s not always so easy to rid of a phobia like that, even if she rationally understood there’s nothing to fear, she’s already been conditioned to deal with it a certain way, so it take a conscious effort to slowly get more comfortable.

Others alter their personality to cope, people with trust issues(usually stem from family in teens) tend to act independently, become less receptive and in personality types that doesnt repress well, they lash out, which can be interpreted as bitchy

6. Kaiser Eoghan says:

I can’t completely buy the idea of everything being settled though, if it is then I see that as not very believable for it to washed over and solved so soon and easily but this is nitpicking from my end.

7. Chu says:

The emotional impact of the episode was ruined. I think Inaba should have died; Heartseed should be evil.

Did anyone catch that “expression” Heartseed had just before his timer went off? Call me crazy, but I believe that Inaba was fated to die; something outside the control of everyone (including Heartseed) occurred, changing the event timeline.

Conspiracy theories – go.

See the moment I’m referring to at: http://i.imgur.com/UPJqq.png

• Kaiser Eoghan says:

I don’t agree with regards to the emotional aspect being ruined but I think wheather heartseed is evil or not or whether Inaba died or not I would have accepted it either way and been emotionally involved with that episode.

8. boo says:

Inaba is lackluster? She doesn’t just has trusting issues she is a paranoid, not sure you could call that a dull personality.

I agree, none of the currently presented issues has been cured. At this point the progress has stopped at self-awareness and I doubt the issues will be “cured”. Realistically speaking these kind of issues never fully go away, you just learn to cope better and to avoid triggers.

Additionally nobody has dealt with the guy’s issues, yet. I’m not completely sure what’s Aoki big secret, but Taichi seem to have a “Nice Guy Syndrome”, “selfless freak” is just a nice way to put it.

Also, I kind of have the feeling that had they choose wrongly and had Taichi (or anyone else) committed self-sacrifice Iory would die. This whole incident was to teach a lesson and to test them.

• Chu says:

Very well explained.

However, I do hold the optimistic notion that issues such as these can be fully cured. The question of whether it has occurred to the characters in this anime remain uncertain.

“selfless freak” is not a bad label. I believe it’s Inaba’s hidden inferiority complex that causes her envy of Tachi. Nothing wrong with being a nice guy.

Also, I took lackluster to mean “far from perfect”, not “dull”. In this sense, Inaba has a very lacking character, to put it lightly.

• boo says:

There are plenty of wrongs with being a “nice guy” in that particular context. Inaba has already pointed out one major one when discussing Iori with him in the earlier episode.

Thing is in anime a “nice guy” is as often a male hero as a doormat girl is often a hero in romances, so it really could go both ways. I guess we will see…

• Chu says:

I do agree that taking the place of Iori was faulty and incorrect. I’m referring to Tachi’s desire to help others out of intrinsic motivation.

That’s much better than Inaba, who creates drama for the sake of creating drama. She’s that person nobody (outside of anime conventions) wants to hang out with.

9. RABUJOI says:

I’m a sucker for these plots, especially when they’re this well done. I was willing to suspend my disbelief in what most of the episode was proposing (the death of a major character), something one has to do all the time if you’re into Star Trek (every other episode, a major character is in jeopardy). Once you’re over that hurdle and can enjoy the execution and details of the episode, which were both superb.

Also, this wasn’t merely a “reset button” episode: confessions were exchanged which will have lasting implications. The peril may have been manufactured by the godlike being, but the emotions it brought out were very real, and won’t be soon forgotten by the characters. In our opinion, this was the best episode of Kokoro yet.

10. AidanAK47 says:

“The peril may have been manufactured by the godlike being, but the emotions it brought out were very real, and won’t be soon forgotten by the characters.”

Oh ho ho…you think? I bet you that the emotions present here will never amount to anything and will soon be forgotten once the next arc starts.
    We shall see the answer in one or two episodes time.

• Mitleser says:

It’s an very well-done adaption of a series of light novels.
      Don’t make such bets, if you don’t know about the plot of the source material.

• AidanAK47 says:

I am making a bet because I know light novels. I know the formulas and I can guess the ways a writer will take it. And from what I have seen this writer hasn’t shown himself to be good enough to use such development.
        So I will bet. I am not saying that it will be that way. I am guessing. There is no harm in that.

11. HybridBloodsZak says:

Wow… Madhouse couldn’t have chosen a worse place to end the episode XD
    This Saturday is going to be a LONG WAIT for the EPICNESS that is going to ensue. I can’t freaking wait!

12. AidanAK47 says:

About total Eclipse Psgels, I am pretty sure this wasn’t the Directors fault. I haven’t read the source material but I know the writer so it’s possible this was in the source material too. The writer isn’t above such shameless tactics. Muv Luv did start off as a very generic harem after all.
    But yeah…an island. It’s not as if that hasn’t been done to death…(Yes, that is sarcasm)

13. Carbine Gammaximon says:

And finally, I won the bet! A friend and I where arguing just how much mind-numbing Psgels could take from Total Eclipse. I said ep6.

I read the manga only because I hadn’t heard of Muv-Luv before the anime and I can only imagine some people sat down and simply decided “Lets make this one of the worst this season but hook people with a high quality premise”. Ep6 almost made me curse “Guilty Crown”. but to each his own.

PS: Just curious, does the author of a manga have a say in who has the anime adaptation rights? I can’t say i’m knowledgeable enough to conclude that’s the case.

14. kobester11 says:

About muvluv psgels, Inagaki just directed the first 2 episodes. Masaomi ANDO directed episode 3 onwards… So, yeah… don’t blame it to Inagaki.

Kokoro just finished the first LN. After Heartseed, what misadventures will the group encounter?

For some reason, Tari tari is working out for me. I mean I’m afraid since it has only like 13 episodes but basing from the recent episodes I thinks it’s gonna work out but still; True tears >>>>>> Tari tari

And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.
*Looks at 3-gatsu screenshot*
Hina =< ; _ ; QmQ *cry**tears*
I am reasonably satisfied with how the houseki manga is in its latest chapters, coming together and the answers it gave.
@Nielo: wow, thanks. I'll definately pay more attention to that. Love to pick up those little details like that so I'm all ears if you pick up something else
I noticed that discord button. If more show up on it I'd consider joining it.
@Amagi: What will happen is that I'll end up marathoning it when more episodes get released, much like I did with first. The guy from the first series (Germain his name was) was a hard act to follow , so far I do think this is more enjoy than the little of the second season I saw.
SuperWooper
LOL, thanks for catching that.
@Wooper: I always enjoy "deep-friend" chicken as well. Tasty, taysty

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 25/26 [June/Ladybug Bush/Feelings]

During the bizarre cold open of this makeshift two-parter, the thought flashed across my mind: are we getting one last bit of frivolity before the other shoe drops, or is wackiness the new normal for 3-gatsu? Over the last couple weeks, we’ve witnessed a lot of exaggerated behavior from characters like Hiyashida-sensei, Nikaidou, and even […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100